Gratitude

In this space yesterday my snappy colleague, Ryan, lamented the federal government’s spending, priorities and fiscal incompetence.

Rabid blog dogs piled on. More than a few tried posting profanity-laden, threatening or personally insulting comments about the current prime minister and his inner circle of minions. Those words were deleted by me. Not by the state. I did so for the sake of decency and civility, not for politics or control.

So be thankful.

This is not Putin’s Russia. Xi’s China, Kim’s North Korea nor the repressed streets of Iran, Hong Kong or Belarus. In Canada Ryan only needs to worry about me. Here his words, thoughts and purpose are unfettered by the government, any agency or leader. You are also free to be free. There’s reason to be very grateful for that which we all seem to take as routine.

This Thanksgiving many are consumed with what’s wrong. It’s a fulsome list. Inflation, interest rates, war, nukes, the climate, pandemic, recession, markets, unaffordable houses and insufferable tattoos. Half the people are crazy woke. The other half drift rabid right. Society seems to be in a swirl of gender fluidity, the metaverse, colonial guilt, non-fungible tokens and guys in honking pickups with flags out the back.

Some days I hate this blog. The comments and people it attracts are too often negative, dark and hopeless. More than 800,000 have been published and sit there in the archives for you to see. Fear and anger are the motivators, relieved occasionally by greed. Human nature is on display. Reversals are always blamed on others – immigrants, central bankers, politicians, realtors, criminals. Taking responsibility is a rare sight.

It’s time things changed. We’re straying.

Let’s take a day and be thankful we live in a First World country where Ryan, or you, can dis the government and think nothing of it. You can vote right or left. You can come here and rant, fearing only my (reasonable) delete finger. You have social, economic, financial and political freedom. The electricity doesn’t quit every few days. No forces are invading. There’s a social safety net. Surgeries don’t cost a hundred thousand. Nobody’s packing a gun in Wal-Mart. You can slap an F-Trudeau sticker on your bumper, if you’re that coarse. There’s no run on the banks. The water’s potable. The economy’s fine. Cops and soldiers are servants. Markets are efficient. Our society is tolerant.

The amount we take for granted is breathtaking. And while we could have more, do we really deserve it when most of the world has less? Are we so arrogant?

Count your blessings. I am.

About the picture: “Keep up the great work. Read everything daily,” writes Timothy. “Appreciate every syllable. Good cure for fool fomo. Here’s our late, great Cairn Terrier, ‘Commander’ Angus. Everyone’s best friend. Accompanied and guarded the family on very many trips. Here he is planning his next greeting of any squirrels, anywhere.”

#1 Drill Baby Drill on 10.09.22 at 11:37 am

I cannot have thanks for being taxed heavily by a woke federal government.

#2 ogdoad on 10.09.22 at 11:38 am

Nice post, G.

Although I stick to my guns by calling most Canadians a bunch of whiny wusses, I most certainly appreciate my life here. And also most certainly do not take it for granted – especially in a city where 1 in 4 children are not eating enough.

Happy TG to you, yours and Turner inv.

Og

#3 Rob on 10.09.22 at 11:38 am

Thank you once again for putting into words that which should be obvious to many more of us.
I have followed this gem of a blog from the beginning and have learned and laughed more than you can know.
I quit reading the comments years ago, don’t have the intestinal fortitude.
Thanks again Garth.
Rob

#4 You betcha ... on 10.09.22 at 11:40 am

I count my blessings for living here everyday and make sure others hear me too … life is good.

#5 XEQT and Chill on 10.09.22 at 11:41 am

Thank you for writing this blog after all these years, Garth. Because of you, my finances are in great shape, and I get to read fantastic content every day for free. I appreciate the public service you and your colleagues perform by writing this blog.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving weekend.

The anonymity of the internet encourages exaggerated extremist views to be expressed, for there are no real social repercussions. I don’t think these views are ones people would express if being interviewed publicly with their real name attached to them. I hope you therefore don’t let ridiculous and insane comments get to you. If you want to get some perspective on it, feel free to hop on a Call of Duty game and just listen to the banter. Your blog comments will sound pretty civil in comparison.

#6 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.09.22 at 11:42 am

Words of Wisdom.
Happy Turkey Day to Dorothy and You.

#7 Chris on 10.09.22 at 11:42 am

Amen.

#8 P on 10.09.22 at 11:42 am

Thank you Garth. For your words today and the many lessons of this blog.

#9 Linda on 10.09.22 at 11:42 am

RIP ‘Commander Angus’. Looks very martial!

Indeed, we do have much to be thankful for. While we should always strive for improvements, I for one am grateful for having the luck to be born & raised in Canada. The standard of living we enjoy & that most take for granted is better than what even royalty had access to 100 years ago. Lots of literature refers to a golden age. We are actually living it, despite all the problems that still exist. Happy Thanksgiving:)

#10 SusieQ on 10.09.22 at 11:43 am

I agree with your words Garth. We were able to get our cousin from Ukraine and although Canada is not perfect, I am thankful for everything this country gives us, especially when we take it for granted: Plentiful food, a working furnace, electricity. My cousin had limited access to all of this is in Uraine. I have become so humbled with her experience and I am thankful she has found safety in our country

#11 Darren Carr on 10.09.22 at 11:45 am

Very well said!

#12 MC on 10.09.22 at 11:51 am

i count my blessings every time i visit this blog and there’s a new post, informing + entertaining. dare i say i’m now addicted to this daily dose.

i am thankful for the authors’ contribution, every time.

#13 Flop… on 10.09.22 at 11:52 am

Fannie Mae was actually able to find 1000 people to pick up a telephone and talk to them?

Then they’ve got something to be thankful for…

———————————————————————————

“Americans are souring on the housing market. Home buyer sentiment hits lowest level since 2011 — and mortgage rates reach 7%.

From rising rates, high home prices, and an uncertain economic outlook, shoppers are finding it hard to jump into purchasing a home.
Fannie Mae noted that the Home Purchase Sentiment Index fell for the seventh straight month in a row, and dropped to the lowest level since October 2011.

Fannie Mae surveyed approximately 1,000 respondents via telephone as part of its National Housing Survey.

Consumers surveyed said that they expect rates to move higher over the next 12 months, and that they expect home prices to decline.

The survey indicates that consumers are possibly holding on until the storm passes, which means either home prices or rates fall.

Rates are back above 7%, according to Mortgage News Daily’s daily rate survey.

According to the Fannie Mae survey, in September, only 19% of consumers said it’s a good time to buy a home. That’s down from 22% from the prior month.

Instead, six in ten said that it’s actually a good time to sell.”

#14 Joe on 10.09.22 at 11:52 am

Garth, have you ever thought that were a first world country off the backs of poorer countries? Western countries send their garbage to poor nations, we buy our products from companies who manufacture in sweat shops again in poorer nations, we start wars with oil rich nations for no reason and destroy their countries, we tax people like crazy to pay for woke agendas and we’re making sure the “family unit” becomes extinct. Context matters. We’re a first world country by design.

#15 Happy in Kelowna on 10.09.22 at 11:52 am

I have been reading your blog posts for many years. My husband and I have done very well financially by following your rational, disciplined and balanced approach. You have helped us maintain an even keel when the economic waters have been rocky. For this I am grateful. Thank-you Garth.

#16 Broader Mind on 10.09.22 at 11:54 am

Absolutely correct ! Have a great Thanksgiving day. We as collective Canadians have plenty . Cheers

#17 plg on 10.09.22 at 11:57 am

Hi Garth, long time reader first time poster. Just wanted you to know that there are probably many of us who appreciate and read your blog for what it is. Free advice from folks financially smarter than I. I rarely read the comments, would’t care if that feature wasn’t on the blog. If I do read them, I skim for those that you reply to and wonder if you just randomly chose that one to comment on.

You don’t need to post this in the comments, just wanted to reach out in the chance that it does catches your eye. I’m guessing that I’m in the majority of visitors to your blog, the commenters are the minority. The blog is awesome, close the comments section, save yourself some work! (call it semi-retirement)!

#18 Shawn on 10.09.22 at 11:57 am

Agreed 100%. Life is great in Canada.

Opportunity abounds for the ambitious.

Even the unambitious or those unable to strive for various reasons have it pretty darn good.

#19 Søren Angst on 10.09.22 at 12:00 pm

Commentary of all stripes is welcome. Abusive, mean-spirited, insulting personal rants about elected people of any stripe are not acceptable. Trash someone’s ideas or actions, not their physicality, background or family.

– Garth

———————

My Liege. You are a decent man Garth.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again …

🍁 kiss the ground you stand on.

#20 Sail Away on 10.09.22 at 12:02 pm

Yes. It is a truly great time in the Western world. Thanks to all who sacrificed, and continue to sacrifice, to make it that way.

#21 Terry on 10.09.22 at 12:08 pm

It’s good to keep reading your gift of writing. Have a Happy Thanksgiving Day Garth your wife and your colleagues at work.

#22 JD on 10.09.22 at 12:13 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Garth, Ryan, Sinan, Doug and Tatiana! I’m thankful for the free advice, perspective and entertainment I get each day from your team. Hope you all have a great weekend!

#23 Chris on 10.09.22 at 12:18 pm

Amazing article Garth and right on the point. We should cherish the fact that we have running potable water, electricity, peace and we can be together with friends and family.

Taking responsibility for your own actions is extremely hard and you have to learn it when you are young. It is very rare that on adulthood you can re-write your biases or even get aware about them.

As I was coming from a poor family and had no financial support, when I was young I had few months with four jobs in the same time and was working from 5AM – 11PM every day to to build myself a future. There was nobody else to look out for help, and I would not even consider that the PM or government will come and give me something for free…

#24 TurnerNation on 10.09.22 at 12:20 pm

Naw man people have realized simply that, as of March 2020 the social and political and corporate contracts have been smashed. (This was the whole point of Corvid, the actual issue notwithstanding)
Methinks our Forum Host must adjust to now living in a Former First World County.
It’s down hill from here for MANY people; however so a smart few will thrive under this Kanadian Komminism. (Check the history books it’s always been the case)
A global thing in fact. Pick any Former First World County. Same story playing out.

Just yesterday I was musing, how much is a 4-year Obedience Certificate costing at these days — at any large Marxist-Leninist post secondary institution? (I know I attended one). In the early to mid 1990s was it not around 4,000-5000, and today you add a 0 to this?
All, to support the gold plated benefits and DB payouts of the elites and party faithful.
10x the price and your cert is worth….10x less these days. Your immigrant taxi driver might have a PhD (I’ve met ’em).

I am thankful for what I’VE Built and earned in my life. I did this. In spite of our failing systems.

#25 KNOW IT ALL on 10.09.22 at 12:24 pm

IT’ ALL GOOD….. until it isn’t.

So citizens echo their concern for what could be for our children if we don’t get our [email protected]#t straightened out today for tomorrow.

The music can’t play for ever…. not at this pace.

#26 Cheese on 10.09.22 at 12:24 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, I wish everyone a wonderful time.

#27 Pylot Project on 10.09.22 at 12:25 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Garth, and to your team. This household is thankful for all that you provide to us minions. For free no less.

In this column you stated “Half the people are crazy woke. The other half drift rabid right”. I would suggest that’s a generalization as I feel a large amount of us in society are still in the middle somewhere. We just don’t throw loud temper tantrums and hissy-fits if we don’t get our way. Like proud Canadians, we just get on with it.

I’ve been out of work due to a layoff since April, and the HR world is not what it used to be. Never in my life has it been this difficult to land another job at my level of experience. The multitude of interviews (all video), personality testing, skills testing, only to be ghosted. It feels like dating. Yes I could apply on jobs much lower than my skill set but why should I? I’ve put in the time and education, and I’d just get told I’m overqualified.

But I live in a country that supports me while I continue the job search. For that I give thanks. I have a roof over my head. For that I give thanks. I have food on the table that didn’t come in a box with unpronounceable ingredients. For that I give thanks.

#28 David Manuel on 10.09.22 at 12:30 pm

Thank you Garth, Ryan & Doug for your blog. A special Thank you to Dorothy for putting up with an old curmudgeon like Garth!

Dorothy the hurtful comment that Garth mentioned last week was and is especially unkind, uncanadian and uncalled for. You are a class act.

Happy Thanksgiving

#29 Yukon Elvis on 10.09.22 at 12:35 pm

I am grateful to our ancestors who built what we have today from nothing. It is not perfect but we have the freedom to tinker with the system until we get it right.

#30 Alberta Ed on 10.09.22 at 12:39 pm

It’s 50+ years since we came to Canada seeking a safer and more free country, and never regretted the choice. So, Amen, and pass the dressing.

#31 Quintilian on 10.09.22 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, the Trudeau haters are a fine piece of work.

And, although hate can rarely be justified, the reasons often cited for their animosity toward the Liberals lack any substance.

Their hate is truly a “hate bubble”, decoupled from any miniscule trace of logic.

No reason, just emotional debris.

#32 Faron on 10.09.22 at 12:41 pm

Great post Garth. Happy thanksgiving. I’m damn lucky and proud to be a born Canadian and to work for her and make her a better place for all and to share this place with all who come to make a better life here.

Greetings from sunny Victoria.

#33 George on 10.09.22 at 12:42 pm

One of the things that caught my attention when I immigrated to Canada more than 20 years ago is how good people have it here yet they still complain like spoiled brats.Many immigrants would gladly have back home all those things that don’t work here.

Keep up the good work Garth and maybe one day people will learn to live within their means, prioritize needs over wants, save and invest, and in doing so build some wealth.

#34 Søren Angst on 10.09.22 at 12:43 pm

#107 Quintilian on 10.08.22 at 5:57 pm

Again since you obfuscate …

Canada 2020 Public Debt = $2,737.6B *
2020 Canada GDP = $1.463T

= 187%

Canada Public Debt is NOT 90% of GDP as YOU REPORT – that is ONLY the Federal Debt. Canada Public Debt is 187% in 2020. Italia was at 155% (150.8% in 2022).

WHEN the brain dead analysts compare Debt to GDP they forget that for Italia debt includes ALL the Regions and Cities not just the “Federal” Gov. for Canada where they report JUST the Federal number, not the Federal + Provincial number.

Apples to Apples BIG GOVERNMENT:

Canada doing worse than Italia, way worse considering Italian debt has come down since 2020 and Canadian debt has risen.

Same FOOLISH comparison to Italia for Germany. German federal debt is reported only. They also have State debt too. For example, the German state of Saxony-Anhalt has recently issued debt of (and they have issued much more than this, keep clicking Next in Section 5):

€6 Billion

[They rated it AAA]

Of course, MIRACLE OF MIRACLES German Debt to GDP is low. Like Canada, they salt away a big chunk of it in State debt, Provincial debt for Canada.

Italia does no such thing. All under 1 roof.

—————

For some God forsaken reason, the above escapes/ELUDES the minds of far too many that like to bandy about %’s but having NO CLUE as to where those %’s came from let alone WHAT were the UNDERLYING numbers.

Why I say: IQ Suffrage.

Canada Public Debt is by far worse than that of “DEBT RIDDEN” Italia.

BTW, Germany has 16 Federal States in all to hide some of their Public Debt into like Canada does.

The NEXT TIME you see Debt to GDP %’s have a care, be inquisitive as to what that represents and do so BASIC MATH afterwards.

——

* Canada Public Debt, 2020:

#35 AlbertaLib on 10.09.22 at 12:45 pm

Thank you Garth for continuing this blog despite how discouraging it is at times. I value your voice of reason and old school civility. I am so grateful to be a citizen of Canada for all the reasons you have listed. Happy Thanksgiving.

#36 Faron on 10.09.22 at 12:47 pm

#24 TurnerNation on 10.09.22 at 12:20 pm

TF is wrong with you? Did you do all this in a vacuum? No, you were able to build whatever you have (guessing a scattering of ropes and levers and papier mache and duct tape that looks like a brown recluse’s web) because you live in a functional society that cares for its citizenry.

#37 Flop… on 10.09.22 at 12:55 pm

#151 IHCTD9 on 10.09.22 at 11:18 am
#132 Flop… on 10.08.22 at 9:48 pm
So no one told me the other day I was crazy for mentioning that Duncan B.C looked like a reasonable place to retire….
———
We say “putter” around.
600K is pretty rich still, 3600 monthly +++. Renting looks like a better deal at ~2400 by that Facebook page. You could always belt on your tools again and buy a junker in Prince Rupert :).

————————————————————

Yeah, Trackie, I’ve got time and options, others don’t.

One of the reasons I put the Facebook post up yesterday was I was trying to see if anyone on here could help this lass out.

People like to focus on the negative things that happen in the comments section, I’ve seen a lot of good things come out of it.

Let’s see if we can add to the catalogue.

Is there anyone on this blog in the Duncan area that can help out this Olympic rower with some accommodation…

#38 Russ on 10.09.22 at 12:58 pm

Thank you Garth for the seemingly tireless effort you put into this blog and the pack.

And special thanks to Dorothy for putting up with all the nonsense.

Dog bless us, everyone.

(when do we get an update on the puppy?)

#39 Prince Polo on 10.09.22 at 1:08 pm

Half the people are crazy woke. The other half drift rabid right.

It is also possible that the majority of people are still centrists, living their lives, and don’t have time/energy to put up with the shrill voices from both extremes.

Thank you for your moderation of pathetic blog commentary.

#40 Party on Garth on 10.09.22 at 1:09 pm

The following quote is from Doug Noland’s latest weekly commentary (Oct. 7):

“We cannot overstate the significance of the so-called “Fed put” during the previous cycle. This liquidity backstop – that morphed over time into “whatever it takes”, zero rates and endless Trillions of QE – created the perception of safety and liquidity – of “moneyness” – throughout the financial markets. Stocks became a can’t lose, corporate debt the same, and even the crazy cryptocurrencies. Can’t lose included derivatives and Wall Street structured finance – private equity, venture capital, hedge funds and leveraged speculation. With central bank backing, perceptions crystallized that the entire new financial structure was a can’t lose.”

#41 Jane24 on 10.09.22 at 1:10 pm

Garth I am probably your oldest fan having been following you since you wrote a financial column for the Toronto Sun. Were you the one that wrote an odd book about making money buying old master prints among other things. I wish I had listened.

I had forgotten about Canadian Thanksgiving so happy Thanksgiving to you, your team and the dog people.

I have spent the week deciding where I want to visit in 2023 for retirement research. The four requirements are:
1. Warm winters
2. Low cost of living
3. Low taxes
4. Cheap but stunning villas on a beach with a pool.

I have eliminated Cyprus as too small and Croatia as too foreign and am going to concentrate on Italy and Portugal. I leave for Italy tomorrow and Porto on Nov 9th. I shall let you know my thoughts.

#42 Danger Dan on 10.09.22 at 1:10 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Garth.

#43 Faron on 10.09.22 at 1:11 pm

#154 Tim on 10.09.22 at 12:35 pm
I make over $100k ($200k household) and am happy to pay the tax rate for my bracket, or more, if it means a society where people’s basic needs are taken care of. We spent three decades pretending that the market alone can and should make the decisions. It was a disaster for anyone it didn’t enrich.

The only thing that ruins the present moment for me is the knowledge that the financialization of housing that drove prices through the roof–even before COVID, and even at the numbers interest rates are now forcing them back down to–has destroyed the calm, easygoing society we enjoyed in the 1990’s. Gone are the days that an artist or musician or just all-around interesting eccentric could afford to live on minimum wage, doing interesting things that enrich the rest of our lives, instead of grubbing for the highest-paying hustle they can get.

When everything is turned into money, money can’t buy anything.

With apologies to the Beatles: The best things in life were free/’til they got turned into commodities….

You are bang on. Excellent comment Tim.

#44 Condopoor on 10.09.22 at 1:28 pm

This post is why I come here. To see the goodness that Garth has even after all the beatings. Your resiliency is remarkable, Garth.

And he’s right. To all the people saying that Trudeau has taken your freedoms or is ruining Canada, I’m sorry to say that you are wrong. Misinformed, perhaps.

I am no fan of Trudeau, but we DO live in one of the best, if not *the best* and free countries on the planet.

It’s possible, as Garth mentions, that we all get nuked and the world is over. Soon.

Why not take a moment to be thankful and be kind to your fellow humans, no matter where they are from or what they believe?

You never know when it might be your last chance.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

#45 God Bless Vladimir Putin on 10.09.22 at 1:31 pm

For many young men living in Canada and sending emails to the Kremlin, Canada is a living hell.

Many young men in Canada are castigated by the pro-feminist government and at the same time, excluded from the hyper-capitalist economy where jobs are given based on gender rather than merit.

Russia has beautiful women who will not disrespect you because you are a male, unlike Canada.

Canada has a Prime Minister and Deputy PM who openly despise working class men, leading to the collapse of the male demographic in Canada.

There is a new life in Russia. Support Vladimir Putin in his cause.

Better yet. Go there. Please. – Garth

#46 DON on 10.09.22 at 1:31 pm

Great Blog Garth!

Happy Freedom and Thanksgiving to all!

#47 God Bless Vladimir Putin on 10.09.22 at 1:37 pm

I would like to end my comment by stating that may God give Vladimir Putin the health, strength and energy to lead Russia for many years to come.

We welcome Canadian men to Russia.

We have beautiful women. We have vast acres of land and housing for you.

Trudeau and Freeland don’t care about you young Canadian man.

#48 I don't know on 10.09.22 at 1:39 pm

It’s nice to see our host back at the helm, setting the ship straight again by reminding us how good we have it. Peronally I found our weekender’s post to be largely driven by ideology, rather than reality. It’s no surprise the comment section became a lightning rod for all kinds of emotion and the delete button was used extensively.

Social media does a great job of stirring negative emotions in people. The more of it one consumes, the more cynical, frustrated, jealous, judgemental, angry etc. they become.

The events of February 24 this year also highlighted how extensive the use of social media has been in purposefully dividing us and sowing discontent. Thankfully the world outside is far from what is portrayed in the dark echo chambers of social media and the online world. Most people are caring and humble, have a sense of community, and are busy trying their best to enjoy life.

The cure is simple: spend a little time online as possible. Start by enjoying the long weekend with friends and family.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

IDK

#49 cuke and tomato picker on 10.09.22 at 1:45 pm

Excellent post the best ever. We all have a great chance to carve out the charmed life for ourselves and our families. If parents have work ethic and their children see this they follow. Those who need to use inappropriate language to defame our Prime Minister should hang their head in shame. Canada is by far the best country in the WORLD and if you are not happy please leave we will not miss you.

#50 Dan on 10.09.22 at 1:47 pm

Hear! Hear!

I grew up in a communist country and I deeply value my life in Canada. For all of you who take this for granted I have only three words: THIS IS PARADISE!

Stop complaining and being rude. There is no excuse for being rude. Just look at the Russian occupation in Ukraine to see how bad things can get in an eye blink and enjoy what you have. Imagine how Canada would be under Chinese occupation and stop bitching.

My only major quibble with the T2 government is its neglect of defense – cyber, espionage, the Arctic and the mainland. The other …stuff… is bearable and non-essential.

#51 fasa on 10.09.22 at 1:49 pm

Human nature is good and bad – we see that everyday with the world being so much more connected. Garth thank you for taking the time to write this blog, I have been a follower since the start and have come to enjoy your views and the views of your team – do I always agree with them no…but am always open to listening.

#52 Dan on 10.09.22 at 1:51 pm

Re: #45 God Bless Vladimir Putin – man – just go there. And when somebody rapes your daughter go to Mr. Putin for help. Good luck!

#53 RC on 10.09.22 at 2:00 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Garth.
You are right. We have so much to be thankful for. I hope we all reflect on that. When we feel grateful for the people and things in our life, it’s easier to choose kindness with each other.

#54 Grunt on 10.09.22 at 2:21 pm

It’s only Canada who cares.

#55 Father’s Daughter on 10.09.22 at 2:35 pm

Agree completely with all, except there are no days where I hate this blog. Perspective is key. Many on here have so much more more than most, and it should nor be taken for granted. Very thankful.

#56 Brammer on 10.09.22 at 2:37 pm

Wise words that we need to hear more often.

Case in point, politicians. Like them or not, I for one am thanful that they allowed their name to stand for office. The alternatives to democracy are not pleasant.

Happy Thanksgiving blog dogs!

#57 Polecat on 10.09.22 at 2:38 pm

After 27 years in the military and a few tours to some of the war torn countries, I can tell you, we are lucky. Just going to Tim Hortons to sit in a drive through line up and bitch about it is a gift. Though I stopped doing the drive through years ago so I wouldn’t bitch about it.

Cheers!

#58 Brunett43 on 10.09.22 at 2:38 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to a feisty financial fellow! With all the whining and complaining that goes on here and around many kitchen tables, I am thankful that I live in this country. Even though I survived an auto accident then cancer, I’m happy to be alive to watch my boys grow into decent men. I’m grateful that I don’t live in fear. I’m grateful that I own my home, have food on the table and absolutely no DEBT! I’m grateful that I have strength and courage.

And many thanks to you Garth for all the insights and financial advice you continue to provide us here.

#59 Heath on 10.09.22 at 2:40 pm

Thank you Garth your comments are right on, everyday I get out of bed I’m grateful for all the beauty this country has to offer.

#60 VicPaul on 10.09.22 at 2:42 pm

Thank you, Garth. A welcome reminder that the state of gratefulness opens the mind to contributing onward – paying it forward.

I’m grateful for Turner Investment’s focus on balance and particularly, downside capture – had my yearly with Tatiana and expressed my gratitude personally.

#61 Snakehips on 10.09.22 at 2:43 pm

Excellent reminder today Garth. My wife and I were in Ottawa this weekend and just today while walking around parliament hill and taking in the history we discussed the exact things your final paragraphs spoke of. I’m going to work at being more humble and grateful for what we have and will continue to instill that in my sons. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

#62 islander on 10.09.22 at 2:45 pm

Thank you Garth.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

#63 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.09.22 at 2:48 pm

#29 Yukon Elvis on 10.09.22 at 12:35 pm
———————
That’s the problem.
There’s no one size fits all.
No right or wrong.
No Utopia.
And that’s the beauty of it.
It’s creates diversity of opinions and like a diversified portfolio that is a good thing.

#64 Shirl Clarts on 10.09.22 at 2:54 pm

Garth, thanks for snapping us back into reality. I am very grateful for what i can provide my family. I wish my wife would appreciate me a bit. If only i could get her to read the blog.

Happy “Canadian” Thanksgiving everyone. Remember we are lucky ours is early in October. The Americans don’t get Turkey until Late November!

#65 Juve101 on 10.09.22 at 2:54 pm

“Count your blessings. I am.”

I’m am too. Thank you Garth and Happy thanksgiving!

#66 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.09.22 at 2:56 pm

#34 Dolce
* Canada Public Debt, 2020:

———————–
You want the facts?
Don’t ask Mr. Wiki.

#67 John of c on 10.09.22 at 2:58 pm

Regardless of some short comings we have much to be thankful for. Love the blog and find humor in many of the comments. HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

#68 Steven Rowlandson on 10.09.22 at 3:00 pm

#69 Earlybird on 10.09.22 at 3:03 pm

A big thank you for your delete finger! My time is dam valueable….its a great show of respect to your readers to spare us from garbage that makes us all dumber.

Lots of good comments still……only skim for constructive ones now.

Im assuming there are lots of intelligent readers…imagine putting all of our heads together in the comments as an idea machine to solve serious problem……

If you are born/live in canada….you ‘ve all ready won the lottery.

Thank you again!

#70 Bezengy on 10.09.22 at 3:03 pm

“Keep up the great work. Read everything daily,” writes Timothy. “Appreciate every syllable”

Agreed….sometimes twice.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your team Garth.

#71 IHCTD9 on 10.09.22 at 3:05 pm

Canada has been good to me, mostly due to the efforts of those Canucks who came before me. My kids might find it tougher though – or maybe not. Remote working may take off, heavy freight drone logistical networks may arrive. Global high speed Internet is well on the way. The freedom to live and work where houses don’t cost 7 figures might be near.

It just would have been great if we had never elected Trudeau, and never had to suffer 30-40 years worth of growth on the altar of carefree woke politics that we will now have to endure. Well, that our kids will have to endure…

#72 Andrew on 10.09.22 at 3:05 pm

Well said. Anyone who thinks Canadians live in a dictatorship have either never lived in one, or forgot what it was like. Happy Thanksgiving!

#73 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.09.22 at 3:07 pm

@#51 Dan
That a tad harsh.

Happy weekend everyone.
Garth is correct.
As much as I loathe the Trudeau Liberals.
There is still much to be thankful for in Canada.

#74 Faron on 10.09.22 at 3:07 pm

w/re the photo today. I’m glad to see more trainees working on avi control. Make pow great again.

Although I enjoyed my lake swim this morning, I’m ready for the approach of winter. There’s skiing to be done.

#75 Complacency Kills on 10.09.22 at 3:15 pm

#49 Dan on 10.09.22 at 1:47 pm
Hear! Hear!

=================================

More like “imagine how Canada WILL be under Chinese (or other) occupation”. Your “one quibble” has consequences.

Canada is a nation of soft, lazy people. Today’s comments just underscore that. Garth makes a sincere ode to qualities that are aspirational but not reflective of the country for many years. Present generations enjoy the fruits of past sacrifices. Future ones will reap the result of the selfishness of the present one.

The comment section, predictably, isn’t much more than one more chance for Canadians to congratulate themselves for succeeding in spite of themselves. Self-righteous humble-bragging is a Canadian art form.

Bu don’t kid yourselves, precious few would sacrifice one iota for the place if called on. Remove even the surface layer of the material benefits Canadians enjoy and feel entitled to and they fold like a cheap suit.

“Be thankful we’re not in Ukraine”. To be sure.

Because if Canada were ever tested like that, it would already be part of Russia.

#76 cuke and tomato picker on 10.09.22 at 3:20 pm

Number 45 GOD BLESS VALDMIR PUTIN UACCEPTABLE
UNBELIEVABLE. We will all contribute to your one way
no return first class seat to Russia.

#77 In Dog We Trust on 10.09.22 at 3:20 pm

In mine I give thanks to the earth 1st and to my boat-people parents who chose the correct place to plant some roots… I feel like the luckiest boy on earth and here is my song of gratitude… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Rzvnw-VQU&t=9s

#78 Dwilly on 10.09.22 at 3:27 pm

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

#79 BMac on 10.09.22 at 3:34 pm

Garth, thanks for sharing your reflections on what you seem to feel is our exceptionally divided society (50/50 you say):

“Half the people are crazy woke. The other half drift rabid right.”

I personally don’t recongize myself, my colleagues or my friends in either of these clans. I wonder which 1/2 you feel you belong to?

#80 protea on 10.09.22 at 3:40 pm

Totally agree for someone who was forced out of a country that has been destroyed by a corrupt dictatorship.

I can sleep soundly at night, don’t have to constantly carry a weapon, feel very gratful for what Canada has afforded me. No country is perfect but thank your lucky stars that you live in one of best countries in the world.

#81 Lorne on 10.09.22 at 3:48 pm

#1 Drill Baby Drill on 10.09.22 at 11:37 am
I cannot have thanks for being taxed heavily by a woke federal government.
……..
Then perhaps you should seek out another country to bless with your presence.

#82 Re-Cowtown on 10.09.22 at 3:48 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, especially those working in Canada’s oilpatch.

If can’t be home today for turkey and all the trimmings because the oilpatch goes 24/7, then many thanks to you all for keeping us warm, dry, fed and the lights on.

I’ve also missed a lot of Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas dinners, birthdays, weddings and funerals. It’s never fun, but know that it is acknowledged and appreciated.

#83 Esther on 10.09.22 at 3:52 pm

#45 and #47
Wouldn’t be surprised if CSIS is looking into the recruitment drive from the Far Right and the Russian trolls.

Free housing and women do sound like a recruitment tactic used by rogue organizations.

#84 Dan on 10.09.22 at 3:58 pm

#75 Complacency Kills on 10.09.22 at 3:15 pm – what people do not realize here is that the Great Lakes area will be one of the few places in the world not touched by this global warming. Also that the Prairies will become even more fertile and a bigger source of food than they are today.

I do not think the Chinese will occupy us – it will be the Americans running from a scorched Midwest. Even the if the US does not invade Canada militarily, tens of millions of transplants from US will change things around here drastically.

#85 Sail Away on 10.09.22 at 4:05 pm

In Alaska growing up, every Canada Thanksgiving was (and is) a big road hockey tournament with piles of food, deep fryers for turkeys, event tents, maybe a bit of holiday spirit. Open to all. Lots of Canuckles up there.

#86 Hildegard von Blingen on 10.09.22 at 4:08 pm

Thanks.

#87 Faron on 10.09.22 at 4:16 pm

Another reason to be glad to live here: less severe (although still deadly) heat in a warming climate.

#88 Vince on 10.09.22 at 4:18 pm

I am from Hong Kong living in Canada and I am blessed for sure

#89 Beagleface on 10.09.22 at 4:19 pm

Grateful to be sharing this planet with kind, generous people like you, Garth. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Dorothy, and all the bloggers and blog dogs.

#90 Boiling frogs on 10.09.22 at 4:21 pm

Enjoy your freedom while you still have it. Happy Thanksgiving!

#91 paddyd3733 on 10.09.22 at 4:33 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all blogdogs and to our gracious host and his guest bloggers that have the commitment and fortitude to keep posting and sharing their pearls of financial wisdom with all who visit this blog.
With the goal of reducing the amount of policing required in the comments section, might I suggest that you add this to the HELPFUL REMINDERS posted in the comments section.

– Garth

Anyone who disregards, ignores the reminders or posts comments that infringe upon these rules should be deleted and banned immediately, without further consideration.
Time is precious and shouldn’t be wasted giving 2nd or 3rd chances to those that have nothing better to do than to spread their verbal diarrhea and vile, abusive commentary behind the anonymity of the internet.

#92 Denise Wilde on 10.09.22 at 4:34 pm

Im thankful for this blog! I read it almost daily. I no longer read any of the comments. Im sure there is some gold among them. But it’s you and your team that I truly appreciate. Happy thanksgiving!

#93 JSS on 10.09.22 at 4:34 pm

Beautiful article today, and thanks for the reminder that we live in the greatest country in the world.

#94 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.09.22 at 4:38 pm

#75 Stupidity kills
Thanks for your comment.
Now go and watch “Patton” for the 100th time.
Your favorite scene must be where he slaps the “yellow” soldier.

#95 Dragonfly58 on 10.09.22 at 4:41 pm

Absolutely, lots to be thankfull for. But the biggies, a real potential for nuclear war and the slow but seemingly sure slide for things financial the majority of us face sort of takes the glow off of all the positives. Only a very small subset of Canadians are not experiencing a slip in disposable income / overall standard of living. And the longer you are in the game the larger the compounded over time effect becomes. Once you retire there is sweet diddly you can do about it. No more working overtime to cover unexpected expenses.
Go back to work ? At my age ? All my Transport Canada licences and endorsements are expired . The only qualification I still have is Auto Mechanic and I am 30 + years out of that trade. Fat chance getting work except at a brake and muffler sweat shop.
My pension increase to account for inflation is a joke compared to even the Gov’s at best questionable ” official ” rate. In real life pensioners are slipping by a very noticeable amount each year. And with each passing year it compounds. The difference from your working years income to your retirement income probably killed virtually all discretionary income / spending anyway for a very good slice of us.
So every single $ shortfall has a direct effect on core standard of living.
Apart from that life is pretty good. Walks in the park are still free. Hopefully you live reasonably close to a park. Within biking distance at the very most.

#96 Søren Angst on 10.09.22 at 4:45 pm

#66 Ponzius Pilatus

You want the facts?
Don’t ask Mr. Wiki.
—————————

You are normally pretty good but on this I will tell you that you are:

Prose Addled.

Before the Canada Public Debt table on this page:

Reads the following in the Table preamble:

“Based on the Statistics Canada November 2021 report on the Consolidated Canadian Government Finance Statistics for 2020 …”

after which the above sentence 2 References are cited:

1. Statistics Canada, The Daily (22 November 2021). COVID-19: Historic deficit for the Canadian general government

2. Tombe, Trevor (September 2020). “Provincial Debt Sustainability in Canada: Demographics, Federal Transfers, and COVID-19”

and yet another:

10. Statistics Canada, The Daily (11 September 2020). National balance sheet and financial flow accounts, second quarter 2020 (Report). Archived from the original on 13 September 2020. Retrieved 25 September 2020.

———————-

Thus, using your logic by extension, neither should StatCan be trusted. Nice to know.

Prose addled it is.

Why I give Wikipedia $50/yr dutifully.

Canada has a shortage of good readers not good writers (save Cdn MSM).

#97 Center West on 10.09.22 at 4:47 pm

Thank you for the blog! The “Perspective” column the other day was exactly what I needed to read.

I got a booster shot last week to help protect me, my family and my community from a nasty bug with potential long term consequences. It was totally optional and it was free!

#98 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.09.22 at 4:49 pm

#87 Faron on 10.09.22 at 4:16 pm

——————-
A few years ago, I went with my son from a hockey tourney in March in Kelowna to baseball spring training in Phoenix.
It was snowing in Kelowna and 95degrees in Phoenix.
Unbearable heat.
Must be a killer in summer.

#99 Oggie on 10.09.22 at 4:54 pm

Happy Thanksgiving

#100 Victoria Reader on 10.09.22 at 4:58 pm

Well said. Gratitude today and every day. We are so blessed.

#101 Dan on 10.09.22 at 4:58 pm

Re:
#73 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.09.22 at 3:07 pm

People do not realize how thin the rule of law is in Russia. If a nice young lady attracts the eye of some kind of uniformed men there is a good chance that she would just disappear. An nobody will move a finger. The police is there to protect the rich, not the normal people. So no, I am not harsh, I just call things how they are.

#102 erik mtl on 10.09.22 at 5:01 pm

Re: #1 Drill Baby Drill on 10.09.22 at 11:37 am
I cannot have thanks for being taxed heavily by a woke federal government.

————–

What are you thankful for though?

#103 Søren Angst on 10.09.22 at 5:20 pm

Off Topic

StatCan has a Census Game, Census of Population.

I did OK, not good, but OK, Sample question:

“True or false? In Canada, the majority of same-gender couples (cisgender) who have children are couples with two women.”

And no, I will not tell you the Correct Answer.

I made a bullocks of Cdn Population number aggregates for a gaggle of Provinces. There are a lot more of you Beavers than I thought.

[2021 published 7 days ago … I’d say late to the table then again, better late than never]

– And NO GOOGLE SEARCH cheating. Top of your head stuff.

The Truth shall set you free.

#104 old and happy on 10.09.22 at 5:43 pm

Well said Garth. Good reminder on what our greater perspective and greatfulness, as Canadians, should be.

#105 JWD on 10.09.22 at 5:49 pm

Much to be thankful for and happy thanksgiving to all!

Amen

#106 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.09.22 at 6:12 pm

#101 Dan on 10.09.22 at 4:58 pm
Re:
#73 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.09.22 at 3:07 pm

—————-
Given that Russian Ladies are known for their beauty it’s surprising that there are any left out there.
I visited East Germany and Hungary during the Cold War.
The first thing you noticed is how many women were in the Police force.
These being Communists Countries, I assume the same would hold for Russia.
But then, you’re the expert.

#107 Gravy Train on 10.09.22 at 6:17 pm

“To be happier: devote time to family and friends; focus on and express gratitude for all you have; engage regularly in acts of kindness towards others; cultivate optimism as you ponder your future; savour life’s pleasures and try to live in the present moment; exercise weekly [if not] daily; try to find and commit to lifelong goals, whether that be social activism, teaching children, writing a novel, or maintaining a wonderful garden.”
— Leonard Mlodinov. 2022. Emotional: How Feelings Shape our Thinking.

#108 Flop… on 10.09.22 at 6:45 pm

#139 Faron on 10.08.22 at 11:34 pm

#120 Flop… on 10.08.22 at 9:48 pm
I lived in Duncan for a few years and really liked it. We were close to the river on the bluff, SW side. Amazingly bad traffic for a small town because it all gets squeezed over two bridges. So, live where you work or near it. Trained for my first 50 miler by running up and down (yoyoing) Mad Dog on Tzouhalem. Really great place to be. The downtown is cute

///////////////////////////////////////

Hey Faron, even with the run up in prices, you can still get this beautiful riverfront setting for the price of paint Vancouver knockdown on a 33 x122 ft. lot.

I guess the rookie mistake to make in Duncan is to tell someone you’ll meet them beside the totem pole?

Do you still have any contacts in Duncan that can help that Olympic rower out?

Some see my indecision on here where to live and retire as a weakness, I think it’s a strength that a blue collar bum like myself, on the second rung of the socio-economic ladder, has as much freedom and unlimited options as I do…

#109 Mikey on 10.09.22 at 6:51 pm

Best Place period. We just losing ground when it comes to eating, traveling, energy cost ect. A lot of folks hand to mouth. Many can’t afford what the use to….That’s it.
Then again many over consumed and now tapping the brakes. Dem da brakes.
Its ok over here. We doon fine!

#110 Mikey on 10.09.22 at 6:54 pm

Like dis.

We ok cause we no debt we gots gweat income.

#111 Dan on 10.09.22 at 7:04 pm

#106 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.09.22 at 6:12 pm

If you build a successful business in Russia someone – like the brother of the police chief – will come and make you an offer you cannot refuse – if you are lucky and you do not just get killed one way or another.

Regarding the young ladies – the same rule applies. This does not mean that most of them disappear. But enough of them end up in the human trafficking rings from Europe or the Middle East to be a scandal.

Your observation about a large number of women in the police force is not relevant. I can assure you that in all the time I spent growing up in Eastern Europe the huge majority of uniformed people – not necessarily police – were men. This is mostly true today. They do not really believe in diversity and inclusion.

I also think that there was more rule of law under the communists than it is now. That regime was more secure in their power than the current one. People were being disappeared but mostly for political reasons, not economic or something else.

#112 Squire on 10.09.22 at 7:04 pm

I would love to find me my own ‘Commander’ Angus. Have allergies and cannot do fur. Will take suggestions and links – Happy Thanksgiving folks. There is still much to be thankful for.

#113 Johnny Canuck on 10.09.22 at 7:06 pm

Thank you, Garth for injecting some sense and “live and let live” into the readership.

#114 WTF on 10.09.22 at 7:08 pm

Hear Hear! The voice of reason and moderation.

Have a great Thanksgiving to all the blog dogs and of course the dude steering the good ship Greater fool!

#115 Praises be to Vladimir Putin on 10.09.22 at 7:13 pm

DELETED (Threatens violence)

#116 CJohnC on 10.09.22 at 7:16 pm

You are right of course. There is much to be thankful for living in Canada.

Happy Thanksgiving Garth and Dorothy and to all your associates and their families.

#117 omasare on 10.09.22 at 7:18 pm

Errr, no.

No I won’t be thankful to a place that I feel has changed beyond recognition in 15 years.

This is no longer a place for families.

22% of people can’t afford to eat due to price gouging (compare food prices even now to those in the USA, Europe, it’s easy with google)

Rents are beyond stupid
Housing is unaffordable
Taxes are paying for what exactly?
Tone deaf politicians and media, don’t rock the boat, never know it might capsize.

I just grit my teeth every day listening to the anti immigrant clap trap and can’t wait to have enough money to go elsewhere.

Again I know the door is open etc, heard it quit enough in the last year or so…

#118 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.09.22 at 7:22 pm

Ohhh my my.

Profligate spending meets reality.

$10,000 PER MONTH after tax take home pay and they’re still behind the 8 ball.

Perhaps the Liberals could learn a lesson or 2 about “spending more than they have” as interest rates inevitably rise……?

#119 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.09.22 at 7:27 pm

Lets be Thankful

Trudeau and the Liberals will be experiencing possibly the worst economic downturn since Pierre Trudeau took “a walk in the snow”…. 40 years ago.

Karma for the political chameleon…

A big hit back in 1983….

#120 Ed on 10.09.22 at 7:42 pm

#47 God Bless Vladimir Putin on 10.09.22 at 1:37 pm

We welcome Canadian men to Russia.

We have beautiful women. We have vast acres of land and housing for you.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Tell that to the Mennonites that took that offer many years ago. Your benevolent Russians executed my Grampa in front of his family for hiding a pail of potatoes under the floor of their cabin to try avoid starvation.

So in the words of The Jaguar”

BUZZ OFF!

#121 mark on 10.09.22 at 7:53 pm

Optimism is the only realism – Nick Murray

#122 Summertime on 10.09.22 at 7:59 pm

First world country? That was funny.

Used to be 25 years ago.

Now even Turkey is a better place to live.

I for one want to thank T2. People deserve every bit of him.

#123 just a dude on 10.09.22 at 8:04 pm

Beautifully written, Garth. 100% agree.

Thank you and the rest of the entire Turner team.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

#124 Danka on 10.09.22 at 8:05 pm

This housing market was built for and lives on really low mortgage rates.

It cannot survive on 6-8% mortgage rates today.

Same with the stock market. Too many companies are built to live on near zero interest rates.

The fed will destroy them.

#125 Ordinary Blog Dog on 10.09.22 at 8:10 pm

Thanks Garth, very nice. I wish I could write as eloquently as you. I am very thankful, for all of the things you mention. My family was so poor growing up – that people would not believe the environment we grew up in. But my school marks were good enough to get admitted to university, I could get a student loan … that was all I needed. A break, one opportunity. My younger brother and sister followed the same formula, we feel we owe gratitude … a lot of gratitude. We do not thank a particular political party, we thank Canada and those before us that gave us a chance. We cannot repay all that we have received – but we can try!

#126 TurnerNation on 10.09.22 at 8:11 pm

When I state Corvid is designed to be Permanent let me be concrete. Sometimes I step away from the rarefied atmosphere of this weblog and rub shoulders with the regulars.
Walking through Parkdale (considered by many to be a not riskless bet) I observed about half of people wearing a mask in the outdoors.
Hopping onto the transit, the same numbers hold true.
The Mask servers as the (only) reminder we are in a Deadly Pandemic. Think: 2020, a sea of vents! No treatment exists. Stepping over bodies on your way to Essential Goods Shopping.

2023 = 2020 in the minds of many. Year 3 of forever. Yet in many countries Corvid is nothing, not even a mention.
Why is life different in the Former First World Countries?
Prove me wrong. Corvid is life in Kanada:

.Another COVID-19 Thanksgiving: celebrate outside or open a window indoors, says Ottawa Public Health (ottawacitizen.com)

.With covid-19 cases expected to rise, should you be wearing a mask again? Here’s what experts say (ctvnews.ca)

.Most US private colleges extending mask mandates in face of persistent COVID infections (gazettenet.com)

.Many Japanese are still reluctant to go unmasked (economist.com)

.Comic Con returns to New York City with mask mandate still (dailymail.co.uk)

#127 Doug t on 10.09.22 at 8:23 pm

I admit my multiple “deleted” posts were of the “something” Trudeau vain yesterday- partly for fun – and I can also say I appreciate what we do have in Canada even if I cannot stand the leadership- I also appreciate this blog and all of the free Intel provided – so raise a glass you fellow blog dogs and hogs and thank you Garth and team – let’s just pray to dog that Canada sees a brighter future in government

#128 The West on 10.09.22 at 8:25 pm

I agree with you Garth.

Thank you for this space.

Cheers.

#129 Doug t on 10.09.22 at 8:28 pm

#126 Turnernation

Ha yup – my wife and I were hiking through the remote trails on lower Vancouver Island and lo and behold this older women comes toward us IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE wearing a mask lol – looked batsh*t crazy

#130 Moh on 10.09.22 at 8:29 pm

I am the Son of refugee parents who were living in Pakistan who ran away from a war torn country by the name of Afghanistan. I survived a serious accident which could have killed me
I was put back together by the best doctors and nurses. I married the woman of my dreams and had the a son that I can’t believe I get to be his father. I live in a beautiful home in on of the most diverse cities in the world. I have many things to be grateful for!

#131 buy-curious on 10.09.22 at 8:52 pm

i like Trudeau, he aint perfect, made mistakes, but he put people first during the pandemic, secured vaccines, unclogged family reunification decade long immigration queues, gave people/businesses support/money during tough times and supported/expanded on many freedoms of democracy. sure, he ran into deficit, perhaps printed too much, but these are extraordinary times. at least he is not a sociopath like T****.

#132 Brian Borg on 10.09.22 at 9:00 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Garth, Dorothy and the amazing investment team. May all that read this blog have a great thanksgiving weekend!

#133 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.09.22 at 9:15 pm

When did “homeless” become politically incorrect to say?

Global News refers to the homeless as “houselessness”?

#134 k on 10.09.22 at 9:27 pm

Hi Garth. May Dorothy and you have a grateful Thanksgiving ! You are as balanced in your writing as your portfolio mix ! Always a pleasure to read your words. I know it is tempting to throw in the towel when the stink of the steerage permeates the upper decks ! Full ahead Captain !

#135 Doug t on 10.09.22 at 9:48 pm

And nice to see Chewbacca manning the guns on the Millennium Falcon

#136 cuke and tomato picker on 10.09.22 at 10:07 pm

Number 125 we love your story you left out the part that you and your siblings WORKED very modest of you. You
are not ordinary you are extra ordinary a true thankful
CANADIAN.

#137 Carla on 10.09.22 at 10:34 pm

We have so much to be thankful for, indeed.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Dorothy, and to all the blog dogs!

#138 Km on 10.09.22 at 10:36 pm

This is very similar to our conversations this weekend, if the worst part of your day has been a first world problem you are not doing to bad. Read the world news and suddenly your life isn’t so bad and give thanks.

#139 KLNR on 10.09.22 at 10:36 pm

yup, incredibly grateful first gen canuck.
just a great place to live and raise a family.
even in the current economic climate there’s tons of opportunity – if you actually get off your @ss and take advantage of it.

#140 BMac on 10.09.22 at 11:16 pm

Garth’s dichotomous world view is on full display here once again:

I’d be surprised if the “crazy woke” and the “rabid right” together make up 15% of our national population, let alone all of us, as Garth suggests. BTW, is he in the rabid gang or the crazy clan? Or is Garth exempt?

It’s as if Garth feels we’re all ungrateful for the freedoms that we enjoy and are seething with misplaced anger. That’s true of very few that I know in this society. Is that what ya’ll see outside of the headlines and in the actual world?

I don’t see this post as the sweet Thanksgiving greeting that so many seem to, but as a shallow and snide commentary on a fictional version of Canada that is 85% uglier than Garth does.

#141 Toikies on 10.10.22 at 2:52 am

There should also be one day per year which is the opposite of Thanksgiving, where everyone complains, gripes and whinges…oh wait, they already do this for 364 days per year…..

#142 Chris on 10.10.22 at 3:09 am

Hear hear! Well said – I appreciate the balance and TG wish Garth…

#143 DOWn on 10.10.22 at 3:55 am

Dead Cat Bounce.

People may want to consider Silver/Gold hedge.

No will want US Treasuries for much longer.

I predict crap hits the fan in 12-16 days going well into Nov.

DOW 18000 when it’s all said and done.

FED’s gig is up, they won’t be able to print out of what’s coming.

If l’m wrong I’ll take a Blog Dog thrashing.

Happy Thanksgiving Garth, thanks for all you do.

#144 David W2 on 10.10.22 at 6:16 am

Well said. Feeling thankful we live in Canada and get to call it home.

#145 unbalanced on 10.10.22 at 6:59 am

# 131 buy-curious. You hit the nail on the head. People always, and I mean always complain. I truly wonder what other party in power would have done? If one party was so great, they wouldn’t lose an election! But so be it. Life goes on. Be happy. When you find out you have health issues (like me ) you look at life differently. Enjoy

#146 Melissa on 10.10.22 at 7:53 am

A very happy Thanksgiving to you and Dorothy!

#147 Canada's intellectual deficit in one easy post on 10.10.22 at 8:35 am

Lmao…that is why Canada is doomed,

#148 Voltaire R Us on 10.10.22 at 8:36 am

#149 Ballingsford on 10.10.22 at 8:54 am

Great post Garth! Yes, we have a lot to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Dorothy, puppy (forget the name), Ryan, Sinan, Doug and Tatiana, and all the blog dogs.

#150 Attitude of Gratitude on 10.10.22 at 8:54 am

It’s important to always be thankful for what you have. Too easy to focus on what you don’t have and the negatives that life surely does bring.

But when I read all of the comments expressing their thankfulness, there is a distinct self-satisfied tone, mixed with a bit of fear (“Thank god we live here, not Ukraine or one those other scary places.”) Especially when I read the “best place on Earth” stuff. yuck.

This isn’t true gratitude. This is entitled back-patting. Our host displays the proper quality in the face of such bounty: humility.

The sincere ones are always noticeable – the ones who mention their gratitude stems from previous suffering, struggling, and hard work. Things that most Canadians have never experienced (although to hear the constant complaining, you’d think all they’d every known was hardship).

When I read most of these comments crowing about how thankful they are, verbally high-fiving each other before waddling off contentedly to gorge on their tryptophan, I just think…

“Ok. So the place is great. But did you contribute anything whatsoever to it being that way? And what do you plan to do to try and keep it that way?”

#151 Father's Daughter on 10.10.22 at 9:23 am

——————————————————————–

Wow. Could not agree more with this. Something very important for all of us to think about.

#152 Dharma Bum on 10.10.22 at 10:12 am

#74 Faron

——————————————————————————————————–

This is most definitely the best time of year.

As the leaves burst into a spectrum of vividly flaming colours, we can still take advantage of a smattering of beautiful balmy days and enjoy outdoor life with a walk, a hike, a ride, and even a morning swim (you’re a braver man than I!).

As the foliage slowly fades, and the frequency of frosty nights increases, I do not lament. I am also looking forward to the ski season, and eagerly anticipate spending weeks in the glorious Canadian Rockies and the Purcell Range.

After briefly extending the summer with a November stint in Arizona, I too will be burning my old thighs on the scenic mountain ranges of Alberta and BC this winter.

Maybe I’ll see you on the slopes Faron!

Happy thanksgiving to all.

Thanks Garth.

#153 Dharma Bum on 10.10.22 at 10:35 am

#87 Faron

I just saw your link to the article about the Phoenix heat.

Yikes.

I really am going in November (I usually do – except the COVID years) because the heat tends to dissipate by then.

The locals I speak to down there definitely dread the summers because of the intolerable heat. Particularly in the Greater Phoenix Area which turns into a hellish inferno in June, July and August.

I don’t know how they can take it.

Just two hours north, in Flagstaff, it can be snowing.

Last time I was there in 2019, they opened up the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort in November because of early snow.

When I was driving home in late November, I had to reroute south through Tucson and cut over into southern New Mexico because the highway north east of Phoenix was closed due to being covered in a couple of feet of snow!

Anyway, the silver lining was that the alternate route took me by the U.S. White Sands missile testing site, which was an ominous site to behold.

Happy skiing!

#154 Dharma Bum on 10.10.22 at 10:39 am

#149 Attitude of Gratitude

——————————————————————————————————-

#155 Brian on 10.10.22 at 10:52 am

It’s a Glorious Day The Trees are Spectacular and I am thankful not to be in a War Zone
Thankful to have lived and thrived in a Place that was once free from Trudeau
Thankful for the hope that one day soon we will again be Trudeau free
and most of all Thankful I am not a Liberal!

#156 KLNR on 10.10.22 at 10:54 am

@#149 Attitude of Gratitude on 10.10.22 at 8:54 am

jeez dude, sounds like you need to re-up your prozak script.

#157 Pbrasseur on 10.10.22 at 11:18 am

I’m thankful for the people that love me and let me love them, nothing else even comes close.

About the rest, yes we should count ourselves lucky to live in a first world country, which one don’t matter much I think. And I’m pretty sure there are happy people everywhere on the planet.

Sure being Canadian beats the hell of living in street gang run Haiti, I think we all get that.

But you still live in a country where people lay and sometimes die on their floor while waiting hours for an ambulance.

Tell me how realistically this type of problem is not going to get much worse in years to come and I’ll accept that you don’t live in some kind of fantasy land.

#158 Phylis on 10.10.22 at 11:19 am

The general must have returned to the front lines and left his recruiter here.

#159 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.10.22 at 11:28 am

@#150 Attitude of Gratitude
“And what do you plan to do to try and keep it that way?”

+++++
Easy

I’m going to fly Air Canada.

#160 KLNR on 10.10.22 at 11:44 am

@#157 Pbrasseur on 10.10.22 at 11:18 am

you’re clearly one of the ‘glass half empty’ types.

#161 Flop… on 10.10.22 at 11:52 am

Interest rate protest in Surrey.

What do we want?

Low interest rates!

When do we want them?

Forever…

#162 Ali on 10.10.22 at 12:11 pm

Thank you for such a positive and realistic column. Absolutely correct. Many take all these blessings for granted. I recall an old professor of ours in England describing how things were before public healthcare (NHS). One of his diabetic patients had to make a 30 mile trip every few days to pick up the insulin from a nearby hospital. We are indeed very fortunate

#163 Mikey on 10.10.22 at 12:47 pm

#147 Canada’s intellectual deficit in one easy post on 10.10.22 at 8:35 am

You think Trudeau makes the decisions?
He’s more or less a puppet.

We could do way better.
We were #1 in developed countries on waisted money. Lots unaccounted for.
Lmao.

#164 Damifino on 10.10.22 at 12:55 pm

#153 Dharma Bum

I don’t know how they can take it.
————————————-

Then there’s Lloydminster. I have a friend who’s lived there for thirty years. The locals dread December, January and February because of the brutal cold.

Fortunately, Lloydminster has lots of fossil-fuel-derived energy to see them through brutally harsh conditions.

In Phoenix, a similar thing happens, only in reverse. That’s how they can take it.

#165 Jungle Jim on 10.10.22 at 12:57 pm

#166 Sail Away on 10.10.22 at 1:46 pm

Another beautiful day on Vancouver Island.

Here’s a digital high five to all blogdogs, and now I’ll be waddling off to gorge on some tryptophan. Love that stuff!

#167 Borden on 10.10.22 at 1:58 pm

There is a strange phenomenon going on in Toronto.

Studio Apartments that used to go for $1200 a month five years ago are going for $2500.

Is this the result of money printing by the Bank of Canada buying government bonds for T2?

#168 Faron on 10.10.22 at 2:02 pm

#108 Flop… on 10.09.22 at 6:45 pm
#139 Faron on 10.08.22 at 11:34 pm

#120 Flop… on 10.08.22 at 9:48 pm

That place is a beaut. Lots of room to putter or potter as you see fit.

Being a geoscientist, my concerns would be flooding and slope stability. Looks high enough off the river to be okay at any stage. Would make sure the bank is bedrock rather than the glacial diamict that is present in cut bank form along the river in many places.

As you go west up the Cowichan, the climate gets wetter fast. Rain amounts easily double between the outlet in Cowichan Bay and Lake Cowichan town.

#169 Faron on 10.10.22 at 2:14 pm

#99 Søren Angst on 10.08.22 at 5:27 pm
#73 Faron

Look at figures 2, 3, 4 and 6 then tell me you conclude that the trend is meaningfully good for GBR coral.

Figures 2-4 show recent, large fluctuations not present earlier in the record that suggest a new regime of high variability or downward trend in figure 4.

Sure, there is some resilience, but ecosystems often show resilience before they capitulate. The ability to withstand stress is a key component of ecosystems, but that ability isn’t infinite. Think of a boxer losing a match. They will start to wobble but remain standing sometimes long before the fight is over.

Figure 6 shows that only in recent times has climate started to hammer the reefs. The report clearly suggests that the scientists who study the reefs are very concerned. They are the ones to listen to. Not me. Definitely not Sail Away.

#170 Jimmy on 10.10.22 at 2:25 pm

Hey Garth,

Why don’t you just do away with the comments section? There are a lot of us here who appreciate the effort you put into the blog. The comments are rarely positive or actually informative, while your writing is!!

#171 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.10.22 at 2:48 pm

@#168 Faron
“Check out Port Alberni. Hot summers, nice mountains and on a fjord. Relatively cheap too. Not too far from surf if you want to tap into your Aussi roots.”
+++

True,
The surfing might be good….
But then there’s those pesky Tsunami warnings…

#172 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.10.22 at 2:49 pm

@#165 Jay Jay
“You forgot one attribute. An obscene and ever growing level of inequality created by a corrupt government an evil banking cartel.”

+++
Nah.
We just don’t care.

#173 KLNR on 10.10.22 at 3:29 pm

@#170 Jimmy on 10.10.22 at 2:25 pm
Hey Garth,

while true, they are entertaining though.
I mean you don’t have to play in the mud here,
you could just not read the comments no?

#174 Mehdi on 10.10.22 at 3:59 pm

I don’t like Justin, I don’t like Pierre Poilievre. But we are SO lucky to be in Canada, the BEST country in the world. This is a real democracy.
Yes, there are flaws, but where are there not??
I wish the unhappy people went to live elsewhere… and see for themselves. They would come back here running… quicker than Carl Lewis!

Thanks Garth for your wiseness and for reminding us how lucky we are.

A mari usque ad mare.