She wove through the entire lives of most people now alive. A constant beacon in a swirling, oft troubling world.

Her Majesty was more than a symbol of empire, past glory or our colonial roots. To millions, perhaps billions, she epitomized grace, stability, service  and strength. I met her once, on Parliament Hill. Her gaze suggested that she was actually interested in me – such was a monarch who could put anyone at ease, and make them think they mattered. And that she cared.

Dorothy reminded me today that she went to Queen Elizabeth Public School. That her family home was on the shoulder of the Queen Elizabeth Way. We all have a connection to this woman who was made a Queen in her twenties and  retained her influence – not through position, but character – for seven decades.

Thank you, Elizabeth. We are poorer for your passing. We were richer for your presence. Such a privilege to have lived through your reign.

About the picture: I bought this ‘Love Pat’ painting for Dorothy on our fortieth anniversary from Charles Pachter, the iconic Canadian artist who often made the monarch his subject. He humanized her. He Canadianized her. I think he worshipped her. And somehow seeing her caress a moose is utterly believable.

#1 Russ on 09.08.22 at 1:59 pm

God bless the Queen. RIP

#2 Bankrupting Landlords is good for the Economy on 09.08.22 at 1:59 pm

She was a great queen. On par with Victoria. Now we have to deal with King Charles…yuck. Maybe this will be the spark that starts republican movements in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc…

#3 Søren Angst on 09.08.22 at 2:02 pm

I saw this pop on my Twitter feed 2 min after the fact:

and started balling my eyes out. I still am.

There were some wonderful announcements about her passing in Europe that I would like to share.

Le Parisien

Fanpage.it

La Stampa (my FAVORITE)

and of course, the English themselves.

I suppose this is in order,

Long Live the King.

#4 Stroller on 09.08.22 at 2:03 pm

The pure embodiment of grace.

I doubt we will ever see her like again.

#5 Søren Angst on 09.08.22 at 2:04 pm

La Stampa, error…my Favorite of them all.

#6 McSteve on 09.08.22 at 2:07 pm

Her reign will be discussed 300 years from now.

#7 Don Guillermo on 09.08.22 at 2:12 pm

Well said Garth. What a wonderful woman she was.

RIP Queen Elizabeth!

#8 anony on 09.08.22 at 2:12 pm

While the queen was a nice lady, this is an opportune time to abolish the constitutional monarchy from our system. I don’t want Charles to be the head of our nation, be it figuratively or not. Viva la Republic of Canada

And you cannot wait a single day to say that? – Garth

#9 Ian on 09.08.22 at 2:18 pm

Thank you for your service EIIR.

#10 baloney Sandwitch on 09.08.22 at 2:21 pm

A Great Soul.

#11 Bob in Hamilton on 09.08.22 at 2:26 pm

Rest peacefully in your eternal kingdom, Queen Elizabeth II.

God Save The King.

#12 sailedaway on 09.08.22 at 2:28 pm

God Save The King

#13 Wicked as it seems on 09.08.22 at 2:29 pm

I was born into her reign in 1951 in England. RIP your Majesty.

#14 IHCTD9 on 09.08.22 at 2:30 pm

RIP, I never knew a time when she was not Queen. That probably goes for most of us. Also that painting rocks! There must be a million different paintings of her out there.

#15 Woo Young-woo on 09.08.22 at 2:32 pm

Did Dorothy grow up in Oakville like Woo Young-woo?

Woo Young-woo.
(Whether it’s read straight or flipped. Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo).

#16 Squire on 09.08.22 at 2:33 pm

A remarkable reign and I doubt very much King Charles will be on the same level in his lifetime. RIP QE II

#17 crowdedelevatorfartz on 09.08.22 at 2:35 pm

A bit of a shock . But sadly expected.
To think of the amount of world leaders she met, shook hands with and talked to is mind boggling.
She has been the Queen since Eisenhower was President.
An amazing, full life.
A sad day.

#18 Observer on 09.08.22 at 2:37 pm

Double rainbow appears over Buckingham Palace as crowd gathers to mourn Queen.

#19 Chris on 09.08.22 at 2:39 pm

Here,here. All true and she will be missed. Her dignity, more than ever, will be missed at a time when the world sorely needs leaders who embody this.

#20 NewWest on 09.08.22 at 2:40 pm

One of my earliest memories is of a picture of the Queen on the wall of my first grade classroom in Edmonton. She was always just – there. Her image on the stamps, the coins, the currency, constant silent reminders of history, stability, constancy. No hysteria or drama, just calm, propriety, old-school virtues.

I am not a monarchist by any means, but somehow the fabric of the universe has changed now that she is gone. The world really seems to be becoming a little bit more unmoored now, somehow, doesn’t it?

#21 Oakville Rocks! on 09.08.22 at 2:40 pm

Well said Garth.

And wonderful piece of art.

#22 WTF on 09.08.22 at 2:50 pm

Remarkable Woman.
Fulfilled her duties yesterday, passed away a Queen in all respects today.

Irreplaceable.

#23 Dave on 09.08.22 at 2:50 pm

Air Starts to Seep out of Canadian Property Market
https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2022/06/09/air-starts-to-seep-out-of-the-bubbly-canadian-property-market. n

#24 Rick Danger on 09.08.22 at 2:55 pm

“It is as Queen of Canada that I am here—Queen of all Canadians, not just of one or two ancestral strains. I would like to be seen as a symbol of national sovereignty, a link between Canadian citizens of every national origin.” – The Queen’s speech at an official dinner at the Royal York Hotel, Toronto, 26 June 1973.

Come and gone with grace. R.I.P.

#25 Don on 09.08.22 at 2:55 pm

“Dorothy reminded me today that she went to Queen Elizabeth Public School.”

Did she live in Mississauga? There is Queen Elizabeth PS at Hwy10/QEW

Bingo. – Garth

#26 Don on 09.08.22 at 2:57 pm

Absolutely!!!

She had seen so many world leaders fall through her fingers!!! There is no match.

She really deserved to be called “the Queen”.

Long live the Queen!

#27 Don on 09.08.22 at 3:00 pm

It was Liz Truss!!!

The harbinger of ill wind.

#28 Happy prairie guy on 09.08.22 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Garth for today’s post. How appropriate. We shall miss her. We’ve been listening all morning to BBC World and only an hour and a half ago heard the sad news.

I did not have the opportunity as you did to meet the Queen but was fortunate to see her Coronation Parade, aged four days short of three years. On our honeymoon we saw from the first row her ride by during the Trooping of the Colour.

As a very young boy I daydreamed of playing with Charles and Anne, becoming so real to me I thought I actually did so.

#29 Mr Fox on 09.08.22 at 3:05 pm

Rest in peace Queen Elizabeth II. It’s a sad day…

#30 What A Lady! on 09.08.22 at 3:08 pm

The Queen was a great lady. She will be missed by many.

God save the King.

#31 An Old Gumshoe on 09.08.22 at 3:18 pm

I was born just after WWII ended. I remember watching her Coronation on a 12″ black and white TV set.
She was the cornerstone of the Royal Family.
RIP.

#32 Prince Polo on 09.08.22 at 3:18 pm

RIP QE2.

She deserves a promotion to the $100.

#33 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.08.22 at 3:20 pm

Not a fan of the Royals.
But this Lady was a steady rock in uncertain times.
Always neutral in political matters.
History will recall her as a gift to mankind and a role model to us all.
The Brits lose a guiding light.
And, because this is a financial blog, a good source of revenue.
RIP

#34 SunShowers on 09.08.22 at 3:23 pm

Enjoy a fun, lighthearted memory of the queen trolling the Saudi prince Abdullah.

#35 Cowboy Kyle on 09.08.22 at 3:26 pm

It is interesting for someone (M39) who typically doesn’t care about royals etc… She has been the only Queen I’ve known throughout my life, she always seemed so peacefully confident which gave those around her comfort and security.

#36 Overheardyou on 09.08.22 at 3:33 pm

She surely will be missed. May her majesty rest in peace.

#37 Dragonslayer on 09.08.22 at 3:36 pm

A woman of amazing character. She will be missed.

#38 "NUTS!" on 09.08.22 at 3:41 pm

Best damn mechanic the British military ever had.

#39 IHCTD9 on 09.08.22 at 3:42 pm

#189 Faron on 09.08.22 at 1:42 pm
#177 IHCTD9 on 09.08.22 at 12:35 pm

I spent my CCB cheques at YAMAHA and GM

Which stimulated/strengthened the economy just as intended. But, actually, you spent the money on your kids. Or did the cost you less than your CCB check? A dollar is a dollar after all.
____

The ATV’s were going to happen with or without CCB – the handouts just made them free.

I’ll be CCB-less in a couple months. I can say it’s overly generous to put it mildly. We were still raking it in when the kids had jobs and paid for their own stuff. 6 figure net income households still get the benefit. You can juice the benefit by dumping into RRSP’s (and now the FHSA too). IMHO, parents should support their own kids, not the taxpayer. We got this far without the government bulldozing heaps of cash into new Parents’ bank accounts.

#40 That Guy on 09.08.22 at 3:45 pm

The end of a great monarch. Rest In Peace.

#41 Joe Schmoe on 09.08.22 at 3:49 pm

She showed you can be progressive but with grace.

Tremendous social change occurred with her guidance.

#42 A01 on 09.08.22 at 3:50 pm

Rest in peace..

#43 A Sad Day on 09.08.22 at 3:53 pm

May flights of angels sing her to her rest.

I believe she led rather than governed and she was admirable for how well she discharged her duties. She is and will be missed.

#44 Wrk.dover on 09.08.22 at 3:54 pm

#25 Don on 09.08.22 at 2:55 pm
“Dorothy reminded me today that she went to Queen Elizabeth Public School.”

Did she live in Mississauga? There is Queen Elizabeth PS at Hwy10/QEW

Bingo. – Garth
____________________________________

As old as we are, that makes Dorothy a country girl!
Your Streetsville was an isolated little place in comparison, back in the days barely past coronation when our memories began to form, while riding in cars before they had tail fins.

Mississauga, we hardly know you now.

M69NS

#45 Alberta Ed on 09.08.22 at 3:55 pm

Well said. She will be missed.

#46 Just someone on 09.08.22 at 3:59 pm

RIP Queen Elizabeth. Your positivity and hard work for the people will be remembered forever. I have only good memories of your reign.

#47 Ed on 09.08.22 at 4:01 pm

Drove the Queen Elizabeth #2 highway today…tear in my eye.
What a class act she was.

#48 Islanddave on 09.08.22 at 4:01 pm

I do recall… I think it was Monday mornings… in the elementary school gym… singing “ god save the queen. “I’m sure it’s been many many decades … sad in so many ways
Rip

#49 Hank Scorpio on 09.08.22 at 4:06 pm

Not a fan of monarchies in general but she handled her reign with grace and compassion. Rest in Peace.

In other news, I’ll bet Prince Andrew is fretting about how many more cases of sexual impropriety may be coming his way over the next number of years. I wonder if his soon-to-be-king brother Charles is as loose with the purse strings when it comes to pay-offs and bailouts as his mum was.

#50 @J on 09.08.22 at 4:06 pm

The Queen embodied the ideals of duty and service, and did so consistently from the age of 26 to 96, a monumental 70 years. In her quiet and subtle way, I think she also elevated the rights of women. I greatly respected her and will miss her influence.

#51 AntMan on 09.08.22 at 4:15 pm

Elizabeth II was Queen my entire life. Through all the upheaval and turmoil of the last 70 years she was a golden thread of constancy. I never knew her and yet I feel the loss. Rest in peace. God save the King.

#52 Vince on 09.08.22 at 4:22 pm

Well said, “her influence – not through position, but character”

#53 Beagleface on 09.08.22 at 4:28 pm

Garth:
What a wonderful tribute to the Queen. You have such a way with words. You were so fortunate to have met her in person.
I remember singing God Save the Queen in public school to start off each school day.
May she rest in peace.

#54 Basil Exposition on 09.08.22 at 4:30 pm

Such a privilege to have lived through her reign. Well stated Garth.
Rest in Peace. God save the King.

#55 TurnerNation on 09.08.22 at 4:33 pm

Kanada certainly is strange Colonial country.
Three mass death events and in each case the perp winds up dead — in police hands or custody.

2018: Toronto Danforth shootings.
2020: Nova Scotia shootings.
2022: Saskatchewan stabbings

#56 Grateful in Victoria on 09.08.22 at 4:33 pm

RIP dear Queen Elizabeth.

I saw her twice, once in 1957 and once in 1994. She was just as beautiful and graceful and she appears on camera. A true majesty in appearance and grace and character.
The world will miss Queen Elizabeth.

#57 The Original Jake on 09.08.22 at 4:36 pm

A true Queen she was who will be remembered for the ages. As Canadians, her presence is everywhere in our daily lives more than we know. I had a tear in my eye hearing the news. May she rest in peace.

#58 Tony on 09.08.22 at 4:37 pm

I saw her at the Queen’s Plate.

#59 Joe on 09.08.22 at 4:43 pm

Every time i walk in the rain i will think of the Queen

#60 Ponnaps on 09.08.22 at 4:46 pm

Apparently there was some chaos at the Canadian citizenship oath taking ceremony today on whom to take the oath on

His Mastery King Charles III, King of Canada.. is the new oath now..

#61 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 09.08.22 at 4:50 pm

Beautiful words Garth

For a Beautiful Queen
rest in peace

#62 Shirl Clarts on 09.08.22 at 4:51 pm

The funniest was watching Her Majesty The Queen try to navigate around Trump, after he broke protocol — never walk in front of The Queen! It was like she was trying to train a puppy. Oh the frustration! Yeah, she had grace alright.

#63 Jake on 09.08.22 at 4:52 pm

I’m anti colonialist but the Queen did come off as very approachable and nice. I think she was a nice person but got lucky to be born in a monarchy.

#64 uncle dave on 09.08.22 at 5:04 pm

Lovely words Garth, as a brit living in this great country I think her passing will be felt far and wide. RIP

#65 Happy prairie guy on 09.08.22 at 5:04 pm

Not to be persnickety but a correction of a couple of comments. First the Queen became Queen in 1952 when Truman was US President. The next year Eisenhower became president. The Queen was the monarch through 14 US Presidents and 15 UK PM’s. Also 12 Can. PM’s.

The QE Way in ON was not named for the Queen we just lost today but for her mum. From wiki..”The Queen Elizabeth Way was named for the wife and royal consort of King George VI who would later become known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.”

#66 Bill on 09.08.22 at 5:08 pm

#67 Linda on 09.08.22 at 5:15 pm

The end of an era. A life well lived; a peace well deserved.

#68 Vic Hood on 09.08.22 at 5:18 pm

Well said Sir.
She truly epitomized grace, stability and leadership , May she rest in Peace.

#69 Patel on 09.08.22 at 5:19 pm

As a fellow human ,my deepest condolences to the family of the Queen.She had amazing grace.

However I’m not much admirer of the royal family and associated traditions.

What British did in the name queen or king is unspeakable.This likely is not a western viewpoint but If you are from South Asian subcontinent ,it’s the view point and a valid one.

#70 Caroline on 09.08.22 at 5:32 pm

I learned the news today via news alert on my iPhone. I promptly closed my office door, and had a quiet cry.
My late mother, who would have turned 90 this past summer, would have been very sad at this news. The Queen’s death feels very much like the end of the world as we’ve known it for so long I suppose. These are very fraught and strange times.

#71 Chameleon on 09.08.22 at 5:33 pm

RIP QE-II

This is what it took for and animal other than dog or cat to be in the blog photo?

#72 cuke and tomato picker on 09.08.22 at 5:39 pm

Your last paragraph says it all keep up the good work
we read you every day.

#73 Mike on 09.08.22 at 5:41 pm

the buck stops here
phrase
A statement that no excuses will be made, that the speaker is going to take directresponsibility for matters, rather than pass the responsibility to higher authorities.
Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

#74 WTF on 09.08.22 at 5:43 pm

Classic remembrance of the Queen, great story!

#75 NSP on 09.08.22 at 5:51 pm

DELETED (Vicious, ungrateful)

#76 RIP Drake on 09.08.22 at 5:53 pm

“We are poorer for your passing”
———————————————-
Damn right, for years when rates were higher and municipal bonds were offering good value, I couldn’t get my hands on them because her sovereigness-ness was scooping them all up for her parasitic extended family. Just a bit in a foul mood today as we also lost Frank Drake (Drake Equation – 1961) earlier this month. True sadness for a great pioneer in the advancement of SETI.

#77 Elon Fanboy on 09.08.22 at 5:57 pm

Well said Garth.

I feel like my Grandmother just passed away.

It’s going to take some I think to get used to the concept of ‘King Charles III’.

#78 Randy on 09.08.22 at 6:05 pm

When people find out that they have been Big Bucks $$$ all of their lives for Energy that is available for FREE will they be pissed ??? Not likely… Tesla knew…The Freemason-NWO-Globalists are still laughing their asses off.

#79 Trish on 09.08.22 at 6:05 pm

Queen Elizabeth ascended the throne when I was 4 years old, attending a Church of England school in Essex that still had a bomb shelter in the school yard and had toilets “round the back”. To mark her coronation in 1953 each of us received at school a Coronation mug and a pair of white ankle socks with red and blue stripes. I still had those when we immigrated to Canada in 1957, but they are long gone now.
Elizabeth 11 was a great lady; we’ll not see her like again.

#80 Elcheapo on 09.08.22 at 6:16 pm

God save the Queen. God save the King! Long may he reign.

#81 CJohnC on 09.08.22 at 6:20 pm

A sad day for sure with the loss of Queen Elizabeth II. Her sense of duty was beyond reproach.

As for those disparaging the now King Charles III, he actually is one of the few royals with his head on straight and was an avid environmentalist way back when environmentalists were all considered nutbars. He also puts his words into personal actions in common sense ways unlike our destructive T2.

#82 Young Ralph on 09.08.22 at 6:22 pm

She was always the Adult in the room.

#83 Cici on 09.08.22 at 6:22 pm

God Bless the Queen for her amazing sense of duty, purpose and service! May Charles channel his mother’s greatness…

#84 Broader Mind on 09.08.22 at 6:23 pm

Wonderful, dedicated monarch. I was also on Parliament Hill that July 1st. Met with David Suzuki and Kurt Browning as well. I might have been hallucinating but I’m fairly certain it was all real. At any rate the queen will be missed.

#85 Blair on 09.08.22 at 6:32 pm

The Queen had an exceptional sense of duty and probably was the ideal for a constitutional monarch. I believe that she was a tolerant woman and that she had a well developed sense of humour. Despite all her privilege, she seemed personally humble or, at least, modest. She worked, within her limitations, until the very end. The last photograph with the smile and knowing eyes was great, in spite of her physical debility. I feel sad today; she was already Queen for two years when I was born. But given her illness, and especially without Prince Philip, the time had come.

#86 Mr Canada on 09.08.22 at 6:33 pm

A Great tribute. I happen to be in the UK on vacation now, and it is indeed a surreal experience. What a legacy, god bless our Queen, and God Save the King!

#87 Howard on 09.08.22 at 6:35 pm

#2 Bankrupting Landlords is good for the Economy on 09.08.22 at 1:59 pm

—————————————-

I’m not a huge monarchist (I don’t have strong opinion on monarchy vs republic), but I don’t get the antipathy towards Charles. Why? Because he had a failed marriage? That’s a reason to dislike him?

#88 Steven Rowlandson on 09.08.22 at 6:45 pm

Yes we will miss her majesty and we should pray that God will give wisdom and guidance to our new King Charles.
Not that parliament will do his bidding but Charles will need all the help he can get.

#89 Doug t on 09.08.22 at 6:49 pm

Think what you want about the Monarchy but this women was beyond spectacular in a life that none of us have a clue about – God speed your Majesty

#90 AM in MN on 09.08.22 at 6:50 pm

And you cannot wait a single day to say that? – Garth

——————————————————

So true Garth.

Perhaps a quick reminder from others in the steerage section that if you are so classless as to not be able to wait until the body is cold before belching your anti-monarchy rhetoric, you have bigger problems than the constitutional order of the country you live in!

In the days coming, I’m sure we’ll here more of this, and respond as necessary.

Just a hint of what’s to come….

I often meet Americans who ask if Canada will … move on from the monarchy, throw of the shackles of Mother England, etc, etc…

I explain to them that this would be similar to, and as easy as, the US deciding to rescind their constitution, dream up a new one, get everyone who has pledged an oath to protect and defend that constitution to now disavow it, and pledge their loyalty to the new constitution.

The difficult part if what to do with the people that refuse to disavow the existing constitution?

Canada was founded in part by large numbers of people who refused to do just that after the US Revolutionary war. They were called the United Empire Loyalists, and they left everything behind and moved and settled Ontario and NB/NS. Their descendants won’t be lining up to do it now.

Add to that the natives who signed treaties with the Crown, especially in 1763, who won’t be in a hurry to see those rights go into the toilet of history either.

Most of us are not descended from the loyalists, but from immigrants (or are immigrants) who came looking for the benefits of a society with a system of law and government backed up by the crown.

#91 Steven Rowlandson on 09.08.22 at 6:52 pm

Re#55 May be elements of the police force are sick and tired of criminals and the criminal justice system going too easy on them like they would if Garths attacker was caught. Garth how long after you left office are you protected by Canada’s treason laws?

#92 Steven Rowlandson on 09.08.22 at 6:54 pm

Imagine King Charles effigy on our money and stamps.

#93 Domino on 09.08.22 at 7:00 pm

I hope we do not end up with Charles on any of our money
Not a fan of the king queen world.

#94 Cowtown Cowboy on 09.08.22 at 7:07 pm

Literally showed a pic of her to my wife 2 days saying it won’t be long now…got up close to her in ’78 in Edmonton during the Commonwealth games, she took the train out to our little burb..I think the whole town was there.

A remarkable legacy and truly a life to be celebrated.

#95 Queen on 09.08.22 at 7:09 pm

Who Wants To Live Forever by Queen

#96 Winterpeg on 09.08.22 at 7:10 pm

A remarkable and gracious leader.
Never missed a beat in her 70 year reign.
Thank you for the tribute.

#97 Michael King on 09.08.22 at 7:22 pm

Lovely tribute Garth. I’ve been feeling out of sorts since hearing the news and it made me feel better. Thank you #62 for the video link. Trump looks like such an oaf, love the unbuttoned jacket. As usual, Her Majesty stayed calm and carried on. I have never missed her Christmas Day message and there will be a big hole on that day this year.

#98 espressobob on 09.08.22 at 7:32 pm

Growing up in an era of black and white tv sets there was always something special when the queen delivered her time. An individual who created sensibility when there was none to be found.

This was a human being who was humble and gifted.

Our world just took a big loss.

#99 crowdedelevatorfartz on 09.08.22 at 7:40 pm

@#65 Persnickety Prairie
“Not to be persnickety but a correction of a couple of comments. First the Queen became Queen in 1952 when Truman was US President. The next year Eisenhower became president. ”
+++
Yes she was Queen immediately upon the death of her father.
She wasn’t Crowned until 1953.

British Prime Minister Liz Truss will meet officially with two reigning British Monarchs in less than 2 weeks.
The Queen and now the King.

#100 Bezengy on 09.08.22 at 7:46 pm

“It’s worth remembering that it is often the small steps, not the giant leaps, that bring about the most lasting change”

RIP Queen Elizabeth

#101 Shawn on 09.08.22 at 7:57 pm

Charles in Charge

#102 Richard on 09.08.22 at 8:06 pm

I met Queen Elizabeth quite by accident. I was in a third rate mall in Etobicoke. I was walking along when a big burly guy stepped in front of me blocking my way. I started yelling at him and turned the corner and standing there was this nice little old lady. She said “We’re sorry if we are disturbing you sir.” I didn’t recognize her and said it not your fault lady there’s a crazy person back there. Prince Phillip came up to her and they both started to laugh. I walked on and someone in the crowd said that is the queen. I had no idea. I never found out what she was doing in that shitty mall.

#103 weiners on 09.08.22 at 8:16 pm

I remember that the Queen and Prince Philip visited my hometown at the time, Kitchener, in 1972. Half the class got little Canadian flags and half got the Union Jack. We all got the afternoon off to go downtown to the train station to greet the Queen with our flags.

I studied the motorcade route and instead of heading to the train station, I headed for Water Street, which was on route to the station. I stood alone on the street curb waiting and after a short time, the motorcade came by. Queen Elizabeth was about 2 or 3 metres away waving in an open window, and yes, she had that gaze and I swear our eyes met.

I still have the little Canadian flag here in my study after 50 years.

#104 Flop… on 09.08.22 at 8:18 pm

I’m not sure how many times she came to Tasmania, all I know is when Charles and Diana came to that backwater all hell broke loose.

A little while back when a became dual commonwealth citizen, I was asked to come to Queen Elizabeth Elementary in Vancouver instead of the usual setting downtown because it was some sort of special ceremonial year for her.

60 years on the throne, that year, dunno, doesn’t matter, I got the Stephen Harper signed certificate, The Queen got the cake.

All I know, as a keepsake to mark the occasion, they gave me a brooch marked QEII, I thought at the time, what am I going to do with this?

I kept it in a box out of respect…

#105 the Jaguar on 09.08.22 at 8:21 pm

When I was young my grandmother lived with us. She came to Alberta from London in the early 1900’s. Her father was a member of the Royal Artillery and her mother a cook at the Palace. My grandmother was pretty big on royalty as a result. In the sixties the television station ‘sign on’ in the morning included ‘God Save the Queen’ being played, and I dutifully climbed out of bed each morning to stand at attention with my grandmother and sing the anthem. Good way to start the day, followed by a hearty breakfast.

Queen Elizabeth exemplified duty, loyalty, steadfastness in everyday living and in crisis. She set an example. Not many do these days, and many don’t even understand it’s meaning. (Maybe that old curmugeon Garth Turner..).

Two days ago she meets and welcomes the newest British PM in her beloved Scotland, the most heroic place in the British Isles before departing to join the Duke of Edinburgh in Heaven. Talk about dying with your boots on after a life of service to your country. It doesn’t get any classier than that. We’ll miss you Your Majesty.

#106 Grateful on 09.08.22 at 8:56 pm

Thank you for your wonderful tribute Garth. You highlighted Queen Elizabeth’s grace, humility and genuine regard for others. She became queen the year I was born. There has been nobody quite like her during my lifetime.

#107 KNOW IT ALL on 09.08.22 at 9:01 pm

Sure wish the Queen could have worked out the Global Economic Crisis currently in motion.

Were about to go through some really bad times.
Rising interest rates and energy prices are driving the world into something much worse than a recession.

#108 Cici on 09.08.22 at 9:05 pm

#92 Steven Rowlandson on 09.08.22 at 6:54 pm
Imagine King Charles effigy on our money and stamps.
______________________________________________

Hmmm, perhaps that’s why they want to usher in the CBDC.

#109 Drill Baby Drill on 09.08.22 at 9:09 pm

I too went to a elementary school that was called Queen Elizabeth. We lived on Prince Charles drive.

#110 Drill Baby Drill on 09.08.22 at 9:10 pm

Long live King Charlie III

#111 Cow Man on 09.08.22 at 9:27 pm

Hopefully we will give King Charles III a chance to be a Regal Servant as well. He starts off at the plate with two strikes against him.

#112 Get Back Loretta on 09.08.22 at 10:03 pm

I saw her drop the puck at a Canucks game escorted by Wayne back in the 90’s. I was kind of awestruck, not sure why … but now that she’s passed I think we all feel like a member of the family has passed on. Plus, she’s even cooler that she met the Beatles a few times. RIP.

#113 AACI Homedog on 09.08.22 at 10:09 pm

Yup. Always enjoyed her Christmas greeting speeches too. Rest easy.

#114 Spock on 09.08.22 at 10:17 pm

What a wonderful tribute. The Queen was a wonderful person and God bless her soul. Will be very hard to replace her Majesty.

#115 Adam on 09.08.22 at 10:39 pm

Queen Elizabeth II was an outstanding monarch and an amazing lady – a titan of the 20th century. May she rest in peace. Shame on those in society who are celebrating her death. It really causes me to question where we are headed as a society. I wonder how long it will be until the queen is replaced on all of the currencies with some woke BS. End of an era. Anyways, long live the King of England.

#116 DOWn on 09.08.22 at 10:56 pm

Also not a big Monarchy fan being a history buff, but she seemed quite steady through out the years, unlike some of her kin.

Considering the Firm aka Monarchy receives some 60 ml a year from Canada for reasons still unclear to me and considering its amassed some 28 Billion Dollars it seems we also have been very graceful towards her and her siblings….

#117 Paul on 09.08.22 at 11:18 pm

I feel great sorrow today upon hearing that our Queen has passed. I don’t have the words to express this sorrow.

Prince Charles in the past decade has really grown to fit into his role as King and I look forward to his reign.
Long live King

#118 Westcdn on 09.08.22 at 11:25 pm

I will always remember QEll as a very fine lady. She knew she to honour her role and dedication to do things right. She knew who to trust and still remained polite to everyone else. QEll was steadfast in this regard and Charles lll has been taught well and not disappoint in the long run nor will William, the 1st heir now. I felt she could not have chosen a better concert than Prince Philip and I am sure she missed him. Father figures are important.

I remember Jean Chretien reminiscing with his meetings with her and she liked Canada. One of the last things QEll did was send consolidations over the stabbings in SK. I think she felt a honest obligation to recognize harm to 1st nations (I don’t like that term).

I will never forget her wave and smile in ceremonial “activities” despite being one of the wealthiest women in the world. She did not need a pope mobile to visit people.

I am not one to grieve for long. I get on with it because I have a life to live and family. A person like QEll will live in my mind among others till I die – I just won’t get the fanfare. I have respect for decency, honour, dedication and fortitude. May QEll and I meet in another place and time… where we can talk as equal souls.

For now, I remain and will wait to get back to my ways viewed as an evil capitalistic conservative. We all have beliefs/roles/actors to play and hopefully I can too also make a positive impact in a hugely tiny way. Some people influence me greatly and have shown up when I need them. They helped me against a-holes who hit and run, are self justified maniacs or commit to putting their butt first. Fraud is probably my 1st hate followed by slackers.

Today, I remember QEll and her fineness but I have to say, she never went out of her way for T2.

#119 BillBC on 09.08.22 at 11:30 pm

Nice column. Re the Queen Elizabeth Way..if you mean the highway connecting Hamilton and Toronto, it was named after her mother…completed just before World War II

#120 Jane24 on 09.08.22 at 11:52 pm

What a strange day yesterday was here in England. They announced about noon time that the Queen was ill, we all knew instantly that they meant dying, as I was watching the Sky news coverage of our new PM announcing our new energy bill. You literally saw the note and the news traveling around the House of Commons and faces fall. Then the Speaker made it official.

By the early afternoon that the Queen was sinking and her children and grandchildren were shown racing in a plane and cars to Balmoral. At this point most of the TV presenters were already in black suits and black ties.

At 6pm the BBC went black and then announced the death, cue the national anthem and when we went back into the studio where it was all now black ties and official morning. The 1000 year old announcement was made by many:

The Queen is dead.
Long live the King.

I sat there in total shock. As many on this blog have said Elizabeth has been Queen for all my 68 years. I saw her twice, once in Toronto and once in Montreal. She was gracious and interested in everyone both time. We will not see this generation forged in wartime again. Even Putin who we are definitely fighting a proxy war with, issued warm words of thanks for all she has done within minutes of the announcement. World wide as I have traveled in life, she was never the Queen of England but just The Queen. Everyone knew which Queen you were talking about.

Big sigh. I know what she was suffering from as do many here but it is not our story to tell. She died in peace.

#121 AlbertaGuy in AB on 09.09.22 at 12:12 am

A sad day for me doubled. My mom passed away from COVID at 91 exactly 1 year ago today. Flying the flag at 1/2 mast this day every year for the rest of my life.

#122 Trick Teace on 09.09.22 at 12:15 am

The Trudeau legacy with Queen Elizabeth is best remembered in the photo if Pierre Trudeau doing a twirl behind her back . The ROC saw her as a beacon of civility.

#123 Philco on 09.09.22 at 12:19 am

Not a fan of the Monarchy, but serious respect to a fine lady. She kept her posture.
Rest in peace.

#124 Philco on 09.09.22 at 12:42 am

#117 Paul on 09.08.22 at 11:18 pm
Good god way to much!
They got the gold, taxed the middle, lower class, did what ever they wanted. They show up to your town, it shuts down you get the bill. What a naïve clown.
You sound like you like your overlords..
Your comments so irritating.
Don’t make me write a book on how stupid the world is You wouldn’t get it anyway.

#125 No left turn on 09.09.22 at 1:58 am

Nice tribute Garth. A formidable woman by all accounts.
Nice that she had family at her side.

Good thing she wasn’t in Italy. There she would have died scared and alone without the right to have family enter the hospice or hospital. Families in Italy need to apply for a visa to enter facilities where loved ones are dying. Only after they have died are you permitted to enter without a permit. You know, to flatten the curve.

#126 igiveup on 09.09.22 at 3:11 am

What does it matter.
Print away.
Its over.

Stuggle folks,
working is for suckers

#127 Wrk.dover on 09.09.22 at 7:01 am

Hey Furz, Vienna is voted world’s most liveable city.

Imagine all the Ponze’s over there!

Heaven on earth?

#128 Ordinary Blog Dog on 09.09.22 at 7:48 am

Thanks Garth, very nice. It does seem to be the end of an era with her passing. She epitomized class and calm to me, an example of duty and commitment … RIP.

#129 Dharma Bum on 09.09.22 at 9:29 am

#102 Richard

ANSWER: I was in a third rate mall in Etobicoke.
—————————————————————————————————–

QUESTION: Provide an example of redundancy in a sentence.

#130 paul on 09.09.22 at 10:39 pm

#124 Philco
If you don’t like your overlords then leave. 89% of Canada is crownland. Its fools like you that lack the insight to recognized what we have lost and the difference she had made through all her charitable work. So go “write a book on how stupid the world is” genius. Perhaps you can add respect, self sacrifice, tradition and duty to your biography.

#131 Steven Rowlandson on 09.10.22 at 7:56 am

Re#2
Republican Canada, Australia and New Zealand?
With all due respect have you learned nothing from history? Our current deplorable state of affairs is not due to her majesty but to government by committees of irresponsible politicians and their oligarch bosses.
Do you want more of the same?