Our day

Over coffee we reflected on the day this is. Dorothy took me back to sitting in the Manta Sound studios in Toronto as we watched a slew of national entertainment celebs record a new version of O Canada.

I was an MP at the time. Joe Clark was the Unity Minister, in charge of the 125th anniversary of Confederation. I’d asked the government to fund this project. Clark said the national anthem was “too divisive”. So I went to corporate leaders and came back with $2 million that funded the recording and the eventual distribution of the song to every school.

We talked about all the parades and events, from Amherst to Jasper. My years in Parliament, then on the road as a financial lecturer took us, literally, everywhere. On Canada Day it seemed everyone looked like a half-eaten raspberry Popsicle, with a red shirt and white shorts. Flags everywhere. In fact the feds used to hand out millions of those little paper versions each year, plus the little flag pins kids collected.

One Canada Day night we sat in Parliament Hill two rows back from the Queen for the big, televised concert, when it was still broadcast. Things get frosty there after dark, even on the first day of July. The woman sitting next to Dorothy let her under a portion of the buffalo spread she’d brought. That night I took a picture of my wife hoisting a small flag inside the old utility tunnel that connected the House to the East Block. Sadly I lost it. But still etched in my mind. She was radiant.

Of course I hauled my giant Peace Tower flag around for years. Nailed it up wherever there was a wall big enough. The towering side of the General Store in Belfountain was a good fit. Then when we went to NS for a while and the stone façade of my wee bank was perfect. At least for a couple of years.

As mentioned here, the night before last July 1st my precious cloth was stolen and likely burned by allies of the Indigenous cause. It was a part of the Cancel Canada Day movement that erupted after the residential school issue seized media attention and turned public opinion. The local council trashed their Canada Day plans and – before the haters did it for them – told me to take down my giant flag because “it is hurtful to community members.”

A year later we still have wounds. Dorothy and I left Lunenburg, to get some air and space. The Freedom Convoy of truckers, right-winger nutcases and anti-vaxers managed to abscond the flag and turn it into a symbol of anti-left ‘patriotism’ as did the Trump supporters on January 6th. This politicization continues. It’s now a symbol of colonial oppression and historic wrongs to some, the embodiment of intolerance and yahooism to others and a battle pennant for the right. Meanwhile much of the past year saw flags fly at half-mast, as if ashamed, upon direction of the prime minister.

Our country may be too precious for the people in it. HCD.

About the picture: My friend Iain on the roof of the wee bank, hauling the Peace Tower flag aloft so it might celebrate Canada Day, 2021.  Soon it would be gone.

#1 Chameleon on 07.01.22 at 10:48 am

Happy Feline Friday!

Hey Felix, what is the general stance by the cats about Pepe Le Pew and his unconditional love of Fifi the cat?

Does the cat community agree with Pepe Le Pew being cancelled for being a lover of cats?

#2 Cancel Canada Day on 07.01.22 at 10:49 am

I, too, am wearing an orange shirt today. I respect your difference of opinion. But this nation must truly reckon with its horrific past.

#3 Victor Llearna on 07.01.22 at 10:56 am

When I do income taxes I notice that 2/3 goes to federal taxes and only 1/3 to provincial which takes care of pretty much everything we use HealthCare, Roads, Public Transpo Etc. Yet federal govt somehow make that $$ disapear with little to show for it and in addition have skyrocketed federal deficit to unprecidented levels.
Stating to think it might be good idea to dissolve the federation and have loosely connected provinces like EU.
Would prevent people like trudeau from getting majority with at most 30% support and wasting so much $$. it is very frustrating reading news every day about trudeau squandering or giving away hard earned canadian tax dollars to causes that don’t benefit Canadians at all.
Meanwhile hindering Canadian Energy production while war monger countries like russia profit from selling their oil & gas to fund their wars.

#4 TurnerNation on 07.01.22 at 11:03 am

We were warned by the Globalist Ghouls. Today we are a broken, divided, Post National State.
How to move forward? Only two options really.

1. Merge with Ukraine. Already, there are more Ukraine flags than others. Ukrainada

2. Formally cement as the Republic of Fizer.
Each citizen may have at home a Soma Dosing Machine. For use when a scary CBC story is floated.

Life in a Former First World Country. Gas shortages in BC. Been adament that 2020 was training, #stayhome and all. Get it now? The Permanent control over our travel/movement. When the world fell, March 2020

— WFH4EVER?

Yelp Closing New York, D.C., Chicago Offices In Shift To Remote Work…86% would prefer to work remotely

#5 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 07.01.22 at 11:26 am

canada day eh
have a good one

#6 earthboundmisfit on 07.01.22 at 11:26 am

**** the feeble-minded, gullible and easily excitable malcontents. We live in the best country that exists on this little blue planet, third from the sun. Celebrate it. Happy Canada Day to you and yours as well.

#7 Felix on 07.01.22 at 11:27 am

Chameleon is correct. Let’s start by celebrating OUR day!

Happy Feline Friday!

Did you know:

Tesla wrote that his childhood pet cat Mačak was the source of his fascination with electricity.
Tesla wrote an interesting letter in 1939 highlighting one of our favorite cool facts about cats.

“In the dusk of the evening as I stroked Mačak’s back, I saw a miracle which made me speechless with amazement. Mačak’s back was a sheet of light, and my hand produced a shower of crackling sparks loud enough to be heard all over the house…

I cannot exaggerate the effect of this marvelous sight on my childish imagination. Day after day I have asked myself, what is electricity?”

Yes, cats make humans smarter and will help save the planet.

#8 TurnerNation on 07.01.22 at 11:28 am

“…a middle-aged couple walked by outside, both in orange shirts. They gave our house the finger.”

Jayus. I’m telling you guys this is global WW3. We all are the combatants. All kicked off, March 2020.

— Yes Corvid is designed to be a permanent fixture in the Former First World Counties.

.Ireland: New law allowing reintroduction of mandatory mask-wearing to be drafted (irishtimes.com)

— Watch your pets…will they be declared ‘unsustainable’ (‘climate ‘ etc etc’) under the global New System?

.First reported case of a person getting COVID from a cat (nature.com)

— Making bank. What happened to “One/Two and Done”? Fool me once.

“On Wednesday, the Biden Administration signed off on a new vaccine supply deal with Pfizer for $3.2 billion for 105 million COVID injections, but that’s only for the first batch of mRNA shots. The contract will generate well over $9 billion for Pfizer, as this latest purchase agreement tops off at 300 million doses. Compared to previous settlements with Pfizer, this public-private no-bid arrangement will come at a much higher cost to the U.S. taxpayer.’ “(dossier.substack.com)

#9 the jaguar on 07.01.22 at 11:29 am

To the two middle age orange shirt wearers:

I apologize for nothing. Get a mitt and get in the game.

#10 Søren Angst on 07.01.22 at 11:33 am

#11 Joe Schmoe on 07.01.22 at 11:35 am

I can wear an orange shirt AND have a Canada flag.

Just multitalented I guess.

I can learn about the past, and look to help improve the future, and be proud of what we are trying to accomplish regardless if we not yet achieved the final goal.

One of my kids is in the lgbtqia2s+ community.

I am thankful we live in the times we do. There is acceptance now that did not exist when I was a kid.

Progression can be a slow change.

#12 Damifino on 07.01.22 at 11:37 am

We’re a wealthy, modern nation that overflows with self absorbed crybabies. My father would have wondered why he bothered to sign up for duty in 1939. Sorry Dad.

#13 Philco on 07.01.22 at 11:38 am

Ok
So was i right Garth by not opening an account last fall?
Or was i RIGHT!! Lol
I stated right here if housing goes everything goes.
And im in neither of those cause my commercial rents are in on time.
One again you delete my T2 comment?
Biggest idiot ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets just call as it is. I do. Hes a world class errogant loser. Now you Bidens there too. Lol
Happy Kanafda day!

Stocks open lower, continuing dismal start to year. Read story
OPEC+ oil boost likely not much help to high gasoline prices. Read story
This was the worst first half global markets have ever seen – here’s how bad is was. Read story

#14 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.22 at 11:38 am

I have my two Canadian Flags up and proudly displayed.

Apologies to no one.

Happy Canada Day

#15 KaleyCat on 07.01.22 at 11:39 am

Haha! Garth, you can’t fix stupid. The fact that they can give the flag the finger is a statement about the greatness of our country in and of itself!

I’m flying the flag, and might even dig out an orange shirt too. They are not mutually exclusive.

#16 Linda on 07.01.22 at 11:40 am

Happy Canada Day to all:) Our flag is attached to our front patio latticework. We are situated on the main drag in our neighborhood so all passersby can see it. Should it disappear we will replace it!

#17 Søren Angst on 07.01.22 at 11:44 am

5 boat anchors to most Cdn B&D ETFs:

5 UN-BOAT ANCHORS of the TSE incl. Doug’s pipelines:

As for me, still hate TWTR will dump it eventually…pride prevents me from doing that (so far).

YTD Time-Weighted Return for my Threadbare Portfolio:

+6.7%

What a dung kicking from +17% not even a month ago.

High dividend yield strategy * working, so far, like a charm. June annualized dividend yield raked in:

+42.2%

YTD average dividend yield:

29.5%

* Not without risk. Looked at My Threadbare Portfolio Beta (5Y Monthly) range:

0.58 to 2.33

Weighted average by # of shares:

1.76

——————–

What else more can I say other than:

yeah oil
yeah risk

#18 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.22 at 11:45 am

@#110 Ponzies Prerecession Problem
“So you wish for a recession where many workers get laid off, people losing their savings and livelihood.”

+++
Well, if people were smart like you…. they would apply right now for a govt job….while the govt jobs can still be had.
Govt workers; “Once hired, never fired”….might go a long way towards explaining their devil may care attitude.
But, alas, we all know.
No one is as smart as Ponzie.
Bring on the recession to sweep out the financially illiterate chaff and lets start all over.
A New Day.

#19 Canook on 07.01.22 at 11:48 am

Proud to be Canadian, warts and all. HCD Garth

#20 Doug t on 07.01.22 at 11:48 am

The only thing some Canadians are good at is saying SORRY …over and over and over

#21 google google on 07.01.22 at 11:54 am

Some middle aged folks are uninformed…they haven’t seen any worst.

Immigrants get it, that’s why they come to Canada. The ones who have been here for long enough and prospered proudly carry and wear that flag. And even fight the government at the smallest overstepping on our freedoms here.

Happy Canada Day!

#22 Ian from Oshawa on 07.01.22 at 11:55 am

I always laugh at folks wearing the appropriate colour shirt and wailing as loud as they can about past wrongs. They’re trying so hard to convince everyone (and themselves) that they are one of the “good ones.” Truth is, that they will ALWAYS be the oppressor to the fanatics. Total failure.

Happy Canada day to those who are proud to be Canadian, and appreciate all the great things about this country!

#23 PeterfromCalgary on 07.01.22 at 11:56 am

This is what happens when you put two Modern Monetary Theory fanatics in charge of Canada and the United States. Shutting down production while hyper-expanding money supply and fiscal stimulus was a receipt for social unrest and inflation!

#24 Søren Angst on 07.01.22 at 12:01 pm

Favorite GTA Retirement Asset strategy taking it in the nards, even you Toronto:

RE and Finance & Insurance lead sinkers to April GDP (+0.3%):

New Twitter Realtor passion, track how low can you go Cdn RE estimates:

——————

Last but not least, Covid supposedly on the rise in Italia. Even RAI succumbed to that nonsense this morning:

Apparently, VAX mfgrs want you to take their super, duper vax this fall or early Winter for Covid et. al. permutations.

Fear mongering to increase their bottom line.

#25 Mr Happy on 07.01.22 at 12:02 pm

“Of course, I nailed a substantial flag on our front door yesterday. As Dorothy and I chatted a few hours ago, a middle-aged couple walked by outside, both in orange shirts. They gave our house the finger.”

Nice, the orange shirts respond with hate…so appropriate… NOT! Unfortunately in this world, the quiet majority will see that and not turn the other cheek. How can they expect reconciliation and compassion with their [email protected]#k you attitude? It has to start somewhere and anger and a middle finger are not good starting blocks. Sad…

#26 just a dude on 07.01.22 at 12:05 pm

Can’t change the past and I won’t apologize for it.

Most all of us can do better going forward; I will continue to do my best along the way to be respectful and kind to anyone I cross paths with. I’m not ashamed of being Canadian and of our flag and the cherished freedoms that it represents.

I still think this is one heck of a great country in spite of some very sad and horrendous historical events. Again, can’t change the past but we can together solemnly remember this past and resolve to make a better future for all.

Happy Canada Day to you, Garth, as well as to Dorothy, the entire Turner team and fellow Canadians.

And Garth, thank you for all that you do, as always.

#27 Inequity on 07.01.22 at 12:06 pm

Happy Canada Day to you and those that you love.

#28 Cici on 07.01.22 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for this post, Garth!

I too am ashamed of the divisive polarization and internal cannibalization on the part of the citizens of our once great Canadian and American nations. Anyone who supports the extremists on either the right or the left are contributing to their own downfall as well as the downfall of every single community in both our nations, except for the most corrupt elements among them.

Don’t buy into ideologies, people. We are all human, and perfectly imperfect. Remain neutral, love your country and all the groups of people and communities in it, but stand tall and demand respect and equality for all. No racism or intolerance towards anyone, but no reverse racism either.

We have to move forward at some point and build an awesome future together where everyone has a place and value!

#29 WhereToNow on 07.01.22 at 12:09 pm

HAPPY CANADA DAY . . . . to Everyone in Canada !! Enjoy this country today and in the future. Read some history, talk to the varied people and then think . . . Enjoy Canada Day.

#30 Rebuttal on 07.01.22 at 12:15 pm

If I may, a rebuttal.

Let me begin with letting everyone judge me up front. I have spent many-a-car-drives playing some “Remix to Ignition”, “Bump n’ Grind” and “I believe I can fly”, but the actions of a man are now extremely hard to detach from his music.

I’ve already watched Usual Suspects and Baby Driver with my kids over the pandemic. Of course I can’t tell you how upset I am about not getting the final season of House of Cards that I feel we all deserved. After all, Kevin Spacey hasn’t been convicted of anything.

The reason for that preface is that there are many things we enjoy, like…heck, even love dearly, that end up not being not at all what they appear. End up disappointing us.

Look at democracy. Bought, sold, paid for and corrupted long long time ago.

Look at America. The land of dreams, as long as you realize them by taking other’s dreams away by enslaving them in an Amazon warehouse or in the gig economy.

Look at corporations. Stop at nothing to lie through their propaganda or marketing, do anything to grow share price, pollute, poison, destroy, extract, SELL, SELL, SELL!
…or better yet, addict, track, creep, spy, subscribe! No other way to do it, prices will be too high, margins too low. Let’s go to some third world country and get slave labour to make it for 6 cents an hour, put nets around the building so they can’t commit suicide after making iPhones 12 hours a day.

Look at even all the spouses who cheat and deceive their own spouse for one reason or another.

What we’re coming up to here is a simple realization that Canada is built on a giant injustice, a lie, heck even violence, pillage akin to the worst humanity has to offer.

When China pokes at Canada’s record with Indigenous people, and there is without doubt truth to what they are saying, I think the real moment may be upon us.

I know we want to feel good about the renovations and improvements we feel we’ve made to the leased land we claim as ours. Land that appears to have been leased forcefully and likely against the laws of the very people leasing it by force.

Let’s face it Garth, if it is anyone who knows how to bend or ignore our own democratic and righteous laws of the land, it is the people who wrote them. As our own prime minister has shown, repeated ethicals breaches carry no consequences whatsoever in democratic, free Canada.

Notice how the media, ever so full of misinformation, misdirection, fluff – sponsored by the very people who’s interest they are to protect and who pay them off via “marketing programs” focuses on the all important minorities of any visible or non-visible denomination that keep us distracted. Yet the single truth of the treaties is quite ugly and quite completely ignored.

We humans know what’s right or wrong Garth. We’re just very good at ignoring it.

We really like Unusual Suspects, and Ignition (remix)…and that’s just the truth of it.

Inconvenient truth.

More and more I am starting to see that truth become too powerful to overlook. I feel that today, as we celebrate Canada Day 2022, Canada as a country is closer to dissolving as an entity than ever before. If you ask me to put odds on it, I’m putting it at 30% already today.

Wait until the natives manage to bring one of these treaties before the Supreme Court of Canada, and the inevitable first ruling is made. I’m sure that efforts are being made for the Court to never have to rule on it, but eventually they will have to. We’re going to get mighty close to triple digits odds of Canada dissolving the instant that inevitable ruling happens.

Of course the wild card in all of this is The Queen. I think once she passes on, the dominos may fall quicker. Charles is 73 years old, won’t last long unless he’s some alien who lives to 200. And that William boy, well, I think he may very well be the one who may well vacate the land leases The Monarchy claims a hold to with the natives. Heck, I actually wonder if Charles won’t do it himself during his short reign for his legacy – something bold and significant. An act of great generosity.

Then again, I may be wrong about it all. Dead people caused this, don’t blame us for it. Maybe humanity can look the other way. Maybe we don’t care what happens to others. Maybe it is part of our DNA that we only now care about those who carry our own DNA and no one else. Maybe we’re OK if others are pillaged, raped, killed. After all, we watch it on the news each evening and go on without a care except to be scared ourselves.

We’ve been used as pawns to settle lands that aren’t ours to make us have skin in the game, a strategy familiar to many who have come here to Canada as immigrants due to being displaced. You have to work your entire life to pay off that $1.5m slanted semi in Toronto with street parking only, and now the Natives say it’s theirs? NO WAY!

Oh, the irony. Oh Canada.

#31 Chimingin on 07.01.22 at 12:17 pm

Happy Canada Day! A great day to celebrate all that is wonderful about this country. We forget or take for granted how fortunate we are to live here. People giving the finger can, and really should, move elsewhere.

#32 Overheardyou on 07.01.22 at 12:21 pm

Happy Canada Day Hon. Mr. Turner!

People who are bothered by the past will never move forward. Acting like they are living in perfect times just makes it that much worse.

#33 Søren Angst on 07.01.22 at 12:21 pm

Google…

People Ask

Why did Tesla go crazy?

Answer, read:

#7 Felix

with a distortion of history. Cats will do that to you.

People Ask

Did Tesla really love pigeons?

Tesla never married, but he admitted to falling in love with a very special white pigeon that visited him regularly. He reportedly said, “I loved that pigeon as a man loves a woman, and she loved me.”

————

Luckily, the cat didn’t eat the pigeon out of jealousy, actually, since the cat was wedded to the sound of Tesla’s can opener it didn’t care.

#34 Dragonfly58 on 07.01.22 at 12:21 pm

Over the last couple of years I have been very dismayed by how the whole concept of Canada has evolved.
The gradual introduction of the Settler meme. At first just the name itself and eventually the concept where there are two groups in Canada. The First Nation people , who are pure and legitimate residents of Canada. And the Settlers, who are intruders, at times brutal , at times greedy , and always occupiers by force and displacers of the legitimate people of Canada { First Nations }
I think the term Settler was carefully chosen several years ago by those at the top of the First Nations movement, and put forward to the media , who adopted
it in a increasing manner over time . Now frequently used even by our Prime Minister.
I belive it was used because of the very negative way in which Israeli “settlers ” are percieved by much of the world over the last 30 years or more.
I have no doubt that in the minds of the most radical First Nations agitators that we, the non First Nations people of Canada , are no different than the Israeli settlers who occupy former Palestine teritory. And they are doing their best to promote this narrative to a much wider audience.
I see it creeping into everyday life more and more with each passing year.
At times I think I actually would like to return to my ” home country “. Remove myself from a situation where I am increasingly unwelcome. But where would home be ? I have English, Irish, German and Belgian ancestors. Even at the grandparent generation 3 of the 4 were born in Canada. And the first known ” Canadian ” Settler ancestor came here around 1820. So where would I remove my self to. No legal claim to citizenship in any of my ancestors home countries, and no direct connection with any of their cultures.

#35 ogdoad on 07.01.22 at 12:24 pm

HCD? We are a bunch of whiny, little cry babies who are too drunk, stoned and entitled to raise our faces from our owners and look around for a moment or two. Oh right, too many youtube notifications reminding us that the new ‘funny animal’ video is ready to be viewed…and not to miss it!!

Canada has had a tough past? Which country hasn’t? Addictions, famine, forced starvation, holocausts, cleansing…have a look at our smiling ‘Mom’ for starters

Cancel CD? Cancel the world, you sissies.

We have been so manipulated and duped and there are so many different genres of thought constantly bombarding us that we don’t know what we’re doing anymore…guaranteed whatever we do is going to offend someone else…so lets just stay home and pop benz hey, Mr. Peterson?

Well, I’ve decided I’m going to hug more…don’t try and stop me. Mind is made up.

Happy hug Day!

Og

#36 Phylis on 07.01.22 at 12:24 pm

Yes HCD. Had to work my noodle on that one.

#37 Scooby Snacks on 07.01.22 at 12:24 pm

I’m grateful to be Canadian – It’s okay to love your country while acknowledging that there are some pretty horrific skeletons in the closet (the same is true of many countries). Nothing can undue those wrongs, we learn, we grow and do better moving forward.
Happy Canada Day!

#38 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 12:29 pm

#14 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.22 at 11:38 am
I have my two Canadian Flags up and proudly displayed.

Apologies to no one.

Happy Canada Day
————————-
That still does not make you a “Mensch”
I know that would actually entail a yearlong effort.

#39 yvr_lurker on 07.01.22 at 12:29 pm

I don’t see why people can’t live and let live. If I would like to put a Canada Day flag in front of my house to acknowledge my great uncle (and some of his buddies) who died fighting the Germans in WW2 I don’t need to have others (who are lamenting Canada’s past treatment of aboriginals) tell me to take it down or give me the finger. We should all personally be able to acknowledge (or celebrate) Canada Day as we see fit. Live and let live; why is that so hard to understand.

#40 Stuck in Richmond on 07.01.22 at 12:34 pm

As someone who had an opportunity to live in Ukraine, Italy, and now for the last 18 years in Canada, let me assure you that Canada is great country we all can be proud of. Every country has black pages in their history, but we can’t roll back time and undo it, we can only acknowledge and learn from it, which Canada is doing great deal.
Thanks so much Garth for your invaluable lessons, for great contribution to financial literacy in Canada.
Happy Canada Day to all who cares to celebrate it.

#41 50 YEARS OF MAPLE LEAF INCOMPETENCE! on 07.01.22 at 12:36 pm

Yes, the old red and white Canada flag has some ambiguity and issues these days…

BUT NOT THE BLUE FLAG OF THE MAKE BELIEVES!!!!!

It is Pure Consistency and Truth:

55 Years of Stunning Incompetence in a craphole city of carjackers, real estate scammers, murderers and psychopathically aggressive car drivers!

UNDEFEATED IN 48 DAYS!

SO LET US CELEBRATE THE TORONTOILET!

FREEDOM 55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 12:36 pm

Patriotism is generally a good thing.
But we have learned from the past, it can go overboard pretty quickly.
And we need to recon that our Country is undergoing changes that may make people uncomfortable.
The question is, are these changes for the better or for worse.
Only time will tell.

#43 Idealistic Realist on 07.01.22 at 12:40 pm

You are a national treasure Garth. You provide knowledge and clarity to the masses. Free, at that. Thank you for your service. Happy Canada Day to you and Dorothy!

#44 Faron on 07.01.22 at 12:41 pm

#115 Sail Away on 07.01.22 at 11:36 am
#89 the Jaguar on 06.30.22 at 11:36 pm
@ Sail Away++
#70 Sail Away on 06.30.22 at 9:01 pm

Github is a clearinghouse of GIS data, scripts, etc., that registered users can access for collaboration. Sort of Microsoft Teams for spatial analysis… an updatable library sort of?

Hah, nope. Perfect encapsulation of the arrogant yet clueless engineer. As always, you don’t have the faintest clue.

This same arrogant engineer who doxxed his own wife in multiple instances by expressly stating her position and workplace and essentially gave his address out freely on the internet is now talking about lax security??? You exposed an innocent bystander and presumed loved one, your wife to the myriad internet wackos that Garth regularly suppresses or deletes here. Your inability to control yourself and failure to keep a tight wrap on who you involve is utterly shameful.

Are you for real?

#45 baloney Sandwitch on 07.01.22 at 12:42 pm

Happy Canada Day, my friends. Be proud but not loud.

I think Canadians should keep our patriotism quiet, strong, and understated. No need for loud, chest thumping displays like the American’s, Russian and Chinese type of patriotism. We live in one of the best countries in the world, but we don’t need to shout it at every corner. We also need to be aware that patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, as the freedom convoy truckers reminded us recently.

#46 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 12:43 pm

Went for the usual 10k steps walk this morning.
Not a single flag in sight.
My new South Asian neighbours had a small party outside last night.
Maybe that’s the new way to celebrate.
BTW, very nice people.

#47 Faron on 07.01.22 at 12:53 pm

Happy Canada Day everyone!

I support everyone’s free expression of what it means to them as long as it doesn’t harm others or their property. For me it will mean gathering with some friends in the yard and talking about the erosion of democracy in the US and the vastly more functional and equal state of affairs that is present in Canada. No nation is perfect, but life here is worth fleeing war and famine torn nations for. For people born on the right side of the redline, it’s a golden road. We should all work to wipe those redlines off the map.

May even go retrieve my Canadian flag off the boat and fly it. All the best!

Faron

#48 JacqueShellacque on 07.01.22 at 12:57 pm

You’ve fought the good fight, Garth, but it’s already been decided. In 2015, Trudeau referred to Canada as the world’s first ‘post-national’ country, and not many people know what that meant. “Post-X” means those values, virtues, habits, and institutions that make up “X” are supposedly just inventions of those in power, in order to keep it and oppress those who don’t hold them. Now it’s one thing for a dilettante elite like Canada’s to think this way, but the trouble is, our urban middle class now either shares this view, or is too far stuck up its own back passage to be able to consider what living in this sort of ever-lurching, go-along-to-get-along present really means. Unfortunately for Canada as a nation, it ultimately means the end. What this geographic area looks like in 10 or 15 years is anyone’s guess, but considering what’s brought it down, it’s really unlikely things somehow work out in a way that makes things better for most of us. What exists is to be torn down, and anyone who thinks they can hunker down while this storm comes over us is delusional. If they can wreck your country, think about what they can do to you and other things you love.

#49 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 1:00 pm

#47 Faron
Very thoughtful post.
Thanks

#50 Patel on 07.01.22 at 1:00 pm

My privilege to live in a great country as an Immigrant Canadian.

#51 LAND BACK! on 07.01.22 at 1:05 pm

DELETED (Hateful)

#52 Don Guillermo on 07.01.22 at 1:19 pm

#48 JacqueShellacque
Very accurate post.
Thanks

#53 LAND BACK! on 07.01.22 at 1:25 pm

DELETED (Hateful)

Forgive Garth, reply to #41 removed. I absolutely did not intend my questioning about modification of flags such as Canadian flag or Toronto Maple Leaf flag to include the rainbow (and not the latest complete/inclusive rainbow) to be understood as hateful.

#34 Dragonfly58

Have you looked at the treaties Dragonfly58?

Here is a link to The Canadian Encyclopedia, supported by Heritage Canada.

Quick review here will make you see how this played out. Under duress, in a language that wasn’t Native’s own, using laws of foreign land being thrust upon them, laws which they had no complete knowledge or understanding of, with armies and guns pointed at them, and no option to not agree to a treaties, as you can see.

When you take something away from someone, do you think there are so many plays in the playbook?

Has the land to been taken?
Have outsiders been settled on it?
Have they now been told to pay untold sums for homes to ensure they have lots and lots of skin in the game and will comprise the army of resistance against the natives?

If you reduce it to the most simple terms, the facts in this case are that The Monarchy recognized that the land belongs to the Natives and has agreed to lease the land, which in parallel clearly running an effort to assimilate the natives, their children with a clear path of having no resistance at a future point.

It appears this has not worked.

#41 50 YEARS OF MAPLE LEAF INCOMPETENCE!

REPLY REMOVED.

#54 Blobby on 07.01.22 at 1:26 pm

20 years ago I left my birth nation of England. I was glad to see the backs of people who hated their country, racists, and general a hole.

I grew to love my new country, became a Canadian citizen, and was far far more proud to wave my Canadian flag that I was ever proud of waving the uk one.

But now with Karen truckers spreading trumpian hate up here, under the pretence that they are too scared to wear a mask (that no one is making them wear any more), or get a small prick in the arm (which no one ever made them do ever)..

And with PeePee rising through the ranks.. and the general feel of nastiness going around from people who want our country to be more full of hate than love.

Where instead of questioning the government, they outright hate it – blaming the government for all their own short comings (without realizing just how good their lives are).. “boo hoo, if i sold my house now, I’d ONLY make a 1.5m profit”

.. This worries me.. I worry about where our country is going. Where has the love gone?

#55 Philco on 07.01.22 at 1:27 pm

Doug t your #1.
Are we primarily talking about T2? Lol
Anywho we will survive him. Hes out there taking care of planet while Kanukle heads get poorer.
Ive call his office countless times theres no one home.
Someone reach out to him. Tell him to get his ass home. Remove the carbon taxes and gets some oil and gas flowing!!!!
Mranwhile criminals are protected. They cut through 2 of my fences to get to my tenant trucks to steal tools and copper.
I called my fence bro and asked if we can put up more razor wire?
He said if they get injured they may sue you!
This countrys going to shit and I personally have had it while I pay 50% plus in taxes to support losers!!!!
Telus is a fantastic tenenat and a great corp. We will eat the loses. Just sad. They lose millions in theft. They also cut 3 of our cell towers down in BC…150fters. $400k to rebuild each. The public is unaware of. This country is spinless just like your leader. :(

#56 Dr V on 07.01.22 at 1:32 pm

I always thought that the current Canadian flag was a symbol for post-colonial Canada and its independence from the old empire. I am old enough to remember the Union jack.

A simple design with no historic crests or coats of arms but rather a simple, natural, inclusive Canadian symbol.

I’m surprised a “middle-aged couple” would not understand this.

However, on a recent off-pavement ride, we encountered a pickup coming down the wrong way from a steep logging road, cutting in front of us, then gunning it to raise some dust. My buddy quipped “the only thing missing was the Canadian flag”.

HCD everyone.

#57 Bruce on 07.01.22 at 1:34 pm

Thanks Justin…

#58 IHCTD9 on 07.01.22 at 1:36 pm

“As Dorothy and I chatted a few hours ago, a middle-aged couple walked by outside, both in orange shirts. They gave our house the finger.“
——-

Welcome to post-Trudeau Canada. They were giving YOU the finger Garth.

Give some serious thought about living here kids.

#59 Penny Henny on 07.01.22 at 1:45 pm

Lots and lots of flags up in my neighbourhood in Welland.
Mine stays up all year round.
Since the flag was first placed up about 4 years ago I have yet to see anyone disrespect it.

#60 Philco on 07.01.22 at 1:48 pm

Truduea has divided this country like no other. Im mad as HELL.
I dont want to have to move.

#61 Bucky on 07.01.22 at 1:49 pm

Happy Canada Day to Canadians worldwide!

#62 IHCTD9 on 07.01.22 at 1:53 pm

#48 JacqueShellacque on 07.01.22 at 12:57 pm

——-

100%, good post. But – there IS an escape, a hunkering down. For some. There is a vanishing small segment of Canadians that will recognize it though. It’ll likely be my future and many of those of my demographic. From there on out, who knows? There is little to be optimistic about in post-Trudeau Canada for an ever increasing demographic of Canadians.

#63 XEQT and Chill on 07.01.22 at 1:54 pm

Given all the crap that has happened in the USA in the past few years, I’ve never been more proud to be Canadian.

People here who despise the flag and what it stands for have a lack of perspective of how awful their lives could be. Canada isn’t perfect. Nothing is. Nobody is. To look at this great nation through a lens that only sees its errors is to dismiss the immense sacrifices and work it took to build the nation these people now take for granted.

My family is half Ukrainian. I spoke to my grandmother, whose parents immigrated here from there. She is forever grateful for Canada welcoming her family here, and so am I. People here flip off the flag. In Ukraine, many expect their country to be invaded by a military force every 30 years.

Perspective indeed.

#64 FOR RENT on 07.01.22 at 1:54 pm

With this 2.5% rent increase allowance mandate for 2023, it is interesting actually.

Rental stock keeps getting older and older in Canada, and is clearly insufficient.

It’s as if the government runs a fixed policy of poor rental stock to force people to buy a house in Canada.

Why doesn’t the government build proper better quality well managed rental units themselves? Can’t be done? Impossible?

Why are nearly all government run buildings problematic? Why can’t they run a quality operation for the mid-market renter? Few with a decent job/salary want to live in public housing…for a reason.

It is fascinating. And an action by the government that yet again, in addition to the real estate policies, clearly shows the intent of either pushing people toward low quality housing or overpriced home purchases.

No middle ground.

#65 National Post on 07.01.22 at 1:58 pm

“I think we need to be careful as we go through this process to find the right balance between acknowledging the exclusion and mistreatment of Indigenous Peoples on the one hand, and their role in the evolution of Canada,” said Jedwab. “If you asked me the question, ‘Are Indigenous Peoples a founder of Canada, I would say yes, but you know, it depends on when you identify the … active, foundational period.’”

#66 Dr V on 07.01.22 at 1:59 pm

101 radar – thank you for this information. I may have actually known this at some point in time, but if I did my advanced middle-aged had purged it.

One experience I recall was the intent of a large retailer to come to town. There was a choice of vacant commercial buildings that I thought would fit nicely, but they chose to build (or have it built and they would
lease).

It was explained to me that this retailer had several store “types”, or footprints, with carefully allotted areas for its various departments, based on the overall market area that had been carefully studied, and optimized for use of areas. It all came down to projected sales revenue. Just numbers. I guess none of the available buildings were a good fit, or could not be economically reno’d for a good fit.

Interesting stuff.

#67 Mehling on 07.01.22 at 2:01 pm

Thank you Garth (and others here) for displaying our beautiful flag.

So many lost their lives fighting for our country.

Pay no attention to the 2 traitors this am.

If they attempted such a stunt in America (with a US flag), they would be lucky to escape unharmed.

#68 IHCTD9 on 07.01.22 at 2:05 pm

#46 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 12:43 pm

My new South Asian neighbours…

…BTW, very nice people.

———

Ponzie, you’re a total racist, and you don’t even know it.

#69 Penny Henny on 07.01.22 at 2:10 pm

#44 Faron on 07.01.22 at 12:41 pm
#115 Sail Away on 07.01.22 at 11:36 am
#89 the Jaguar on 06.30.22 at 11:36 pm
@ Sail Away++
#70 Sail Away on 06.30.22 at 9:01 pm

Are you for real?

/////////////////////

Hey Faron,
while you’re in there say hi to Stan Brooks from the gang.

#70 Paul on 07.01.22 at 2:10 pm

I’ve lived in 5 different countries in the past 25 years, Ireland, England, Canada, Brazil and now the US. Canada is the one that I feel got the most right, other than the weather.

Garth, you might disagree but what Canada needs is to grow up, apologize genuinely, remediate once and definitively, and shed the shackles of the past (the monarchy, the church – institutions that are really not relevant to modern Canadians). Once it does, it will be a genuine powerhouse in the world. I’ve seen the competition – it ain’t great.

#71 Old Boot on 07.01.22 at 2:13 pm

Flags currently festooning both front and rear exposures of our little seaside property on the Left Coast, too. The local parade will pass right down our street, and we want to look sharp.

I, for one, am glad my semi-nomadic, Neolithic Age progenitors were not tasked with establishing and running our new country at the time of colonial expansion. The age of Enlightenment may have never reached our shores.

HCD all, and here’s to hoping that it ushers in a return to classical liberal values of tolerance, reason over emotion, and cooperation despite differences of ethnicity, nationality, and ideology.

#72 Steel City Kid on 07.01.22 at 2:14 pm

From a small sceptred isle I watched the Canada Day celebrations streamed live on CBC and felt pride for my home country. To paraphrase one young man interviewed after he recently arrived, ‘Canada is a happy country — tell the Freedom Convoy protesters try a week in Iran and then see what they think’. Not a perfect country but as others have noted above, one can wear an orange shirt and hold up the flag at the same time. Grateful to be Canadian in today’s world of war and rapidly eroding human rights (yes, USA, post-Roe, looking at you). Happy Canada Day to Garth, Dorothy, Sinan, Doug, Ryan and the rest of the team. And to the Blog Dogs. And Cat.

#73 DaveDorf on 07.01.22 at 2:18 pm

“The Freedom Convoy of truckers, right-winger nutcases and anti-vaxers managed to abscond the flag and turn it into a symbol of anti-left ‘patriotism’ as did the Trump supporters on January 6th“

Nope. They just care about that flag as much as you do. Your hubris is just too strong to realize you’re on the same side.

#74 T on 07.01.22 at 2:20 pm

Happy Canada Day! Even if you are amongst those protesting for freedumb!

#75 Dr V on 07.01.22 at 2:25 pm

53 Land Back

Thank you for this excellent resource. I actually did study this about 20 years back.

Here’s what sticks in my mind – the 1763 Royal Proclamation – from the link

“The proclamation laid out a procedure for the future opening of portions of Indigenous territory for colonization and settlement by the Crown’s non-Indigenous subjects. Through the proclamation, the Crown claimed “dominion” and “sovereignty” over Indigenous territories and that only the Crown could make treaties with Indigenous peoples. Therefore, on the one hand, the proclamation seemingly protected Indigenous territories from encroachment by outsiders, but on the other hand, it left the possibility for just such encroachment by the Crown. The king decreed that no individual person or colony could purchase territory from Indigenous peoples; instead, the British Crown was to be the essential actor in negotiating treaties.

Affirmed by Section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982, the Royal Proclamation forms the constitutional basis for Crown-Indigenous treaties in Canada. These principles are still being applied in the making of modern-day Indigenous treaties.”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many land claims are from existing treaties and are known as “specific” claims

“Specific claims deal with past wrongs against First Nations. These claims (made by First Nations against the Government of Canada) relate to the administration of land and other First Nation assets and to the fulfilment of historic treaties and other agreements. For example, a specific claim could involve the failure to provide enough reserve land as promised in a treaty or the improper handling of First Nation money by the federal government in the past.

Specific claims are separate and distinct from comprehensive land claims or modern treaties.”

#76 drew on 07.01.22 at 2:31 pm

Damn sorry to hear you left Lunenburg. I had never heard of it before a few years ago when you mentioned here you had moved there. It looks like a really beautiful place and I check the listings every few months now.

Important to find a place that can feel like home though and I think the east coast is ruled out for that reason. I wish them well though.

#77 Diamond Dog on 07.01.22 at 2:32 pm

After reading your comments Garth, I’m reminded of some of Charlie Munger’s words of wisdom being the use of “the power of inversion” in investing spoken more plainly, “to argue both sides.”

It is only through the power of inversion that we see the middle or center. Often, its the only way to see what is truly possible or stand a chance of making accurate predictions of the future.

It’s human nature to cheer on what we invest in. We get invested… droned, conditioned and normalized in our thinking and once invested our emotions blind us from flawed goals, will & plans. Once emotionally invested, we tend to rely on sheer will being enough to succeed and begin to stop looking for things that can go wrong. That said, it’s the punches we don’t see coming that do the most damage and always will.

It’s worth a mention that those who realize the true potential of the power of inversion or seeing it from alternate points of view don’t necessarily invoke this power. (to err is human) In the same breath, once you know it’s potential and practice it you’ll see the middle ground and will most often wander away from the cult mentality of extremes.

Some quick rhetorical questions, is the far right or left (but mainly I see far right doing this) practicing the power of inversion when they adopt positions of no tolerance? Is the power of inversion practiced by anti vaxxers who don’t consider the freedoms of others beyond themselves to remain disease free? Do political nut jobs consider the power of inversion when they take extreme positions in life?

Of course, they do not.

Here’s an example, it’s slightly off topic, but in an entertaining way I hope and has a point. I farm for a living. For those who don’t know this, well now you know. If I didn’t have a DIY spirit, I would be broke. A farmer is literally a jack of all trades and has to be because if the farmer sourced out the work, the farmer would no longer be a going concern. It’s considered self employment for a reason. Of course as one scales up over time it changes, the farmer hires help but for the most part, few if any hold the farmer’s hand or has the incentive or even the know how to successfully help him/her operate. It’s full on self employment, DIY and necessity being the mother of invention. That’s the life of a farmer.

That said, farmers are having problems with pests every year. With some years it’s insects, other years its gophers and on it goes. I’ve seen for example, gophers do 50% crop damage on 160 acre fields, in some cases full sections if gophers are allowed to roam free.

With gophers, farmers used to poison them with poison mixed with wheat and put the poisoned wheat inside the holes and control the problem. Environmental movements ended this practice over the last couple years and now farmers can’t get their hands on poisons to do this anymore.

These days, gopher control is down to .22 caliber guns. Our Canadian government is doing its best to ban the use of semi-auto’s of which, if anyone knows the difference between semi autos and bolt actions, it makes the use of using .22’s against gopher control difficult to say the least.
(it is not uncommon to go through boxes of 800 shells in a day)

Did I mention that gophers if left unchecked can cause 50% crop damage in fields?

They just take over. Supply shocks… it’s getting difficult to even find .22 shells now because of the increased demand in agriculture. When stores get them in, they sell out same day because of the demand for controlling gophers on farms. There is a disconnect happening here between Ottawa and rural back 40’s because of? A lack of “the power of inversion”.

Perhaps there’s a third way. Drown ’em out! Take a truck with a 300 to 500 gallon tank and hose, plug the secondary gopher hole exits, turn the valve and flood the holes. Perhaps the other 2 forms of controlling gopher populations through guns and poison is better practically speaking, it remains to be seen. Maybe flooding holes with water could work, time will tell. One thing for sure is, such examples for pest control wouldn’t be considered without? “The power of inversion”.

Happy Canada day everyone.

#78 Ustabe on 07.01.22 at 2:36 pm

I have lived in, worked in, road tripped in, camped in, visited in every Province and Territory in Canada except for Nunavut (no roads in except in winter) and Newfoundland (still kick myself). Road tripped/camped northern Quebec/Labrador even. No Trans Canada zoom zoom either, these trips are slow, on secondary roads, among the heart and soul of this country. The places folks on here denigrate and bash.

What seems to be the majority sentiment on this blog’s comment section is certainly not what I encounter in my travels.

All of those who give the move to the US advice…why haven’t you done so, its been years now. Do you need a Go Fund Me?

This is my country, warts and all. I’m no love it or leave it guy but I really can’t stand a person who is on his third country, that is doing apparently very well in my country, stating on this very blog that his and his families affairs are sorted such that they can bolt out of here at a moments notice. Taker, not a giver.

Folks that ignore everything going on in the States yet hold them up as something better than my country because its easier to fly from a US airport. Boo, hiss.

Folks that time over time just bitch and complain instead of offering any form of solution. When is the last time you attended a local constituency meeting?

Here is what I like: empty nesters who take in Ukraine refugees. There is no money in that, just satisfaction for the helping. Folks who offer their skill set to local groups either via church or a business association.

I’ll end this lest it become among the epic tomes some of you don’t have the patience to read by saying a lot of you all need to take a long, slow, secondary road trip across this country and back home.

#79 Birthday Wishes on 07.01.22 at 2:38 pm

Picture this – it’s your birthday! You are another year older and wiser. You strive to be a better person as each day passes, while realizing the impossibility of making everyone around you happy.

It’s your Birthday!

But instead of celebrating the occasion, all of the poor decisions and slights you have caused in your life (intended or not) are laid before your feet. Those who love you are told not to show affection on this day as celebrating you means celebrating all of the wrong things you did in your life. What used to be your special day has now been negatively transformed and repurposed into something it was never meant to be. You hope that those who love you continue to celebrate, despite growing intimidation, and that they remain proud to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ in the face of it all.

Happy Birthday Canada!

#80 Philco on 07.01.22 at 2:38 pm

Garth Thank you for all your sane input.
Maybe made me a little bit of a better man.
The finger eh? People are so easily swayed or brainwashed.
IF YOU DONT LIKE KANADA GET THE F OUT!
My grandfather died in the war fighting for it. The natives or whatever the name of the day is, were not there apparently.
So they use to say we are just custodians of the land no one owns it. That changed to.
Maybe they can burn a few more churches and T2 will give them a pass.
Since I pay a S ton of taxes I think I should have a say.
Not much makes a diff anymore. MMedia bought and paid for, SM is crap the inet has more crime on it than good.
Sorry about the spelling usually on my cheap fon with no glasses.
Best to all the Kanucks that still have their head screwed on.

#81 Steps ahead on 07.01.22 at 2:51 pm

Some people will do anything to get attention!

Happy Canada Day everyone…

#82 T on 07.01.22 at 2:57 pm

#73 DaveDorf on 07.01.22 at 2:18 pm

————

What side is that?

#83 Leichendiener on 07.01.22 at 3:02 pm

Happy Canada Day to you Garth and Dorothy.

#84 LG on 07.01.22 at 3:04 pm

“The Freedom Convoy of truckers, right-winger nutcases and anti-vaxers managed to abscond the flag and turn it into a symbol of anti-left ‘patriotism’ as did the Trump supporters on January 6th. This politicization continues.”

The Canadian Flag is simply the country’s flag, and people carry or display it for their own personal reason.

Some have no politics in mind.

#85 PeterfromCalgary on 07.01.22 at 3:07 pm

It is a logical fallacy to call any symbol that a hateful person displays a hate symbol.

Hateful people also often wear shoes but that does not make shoes a hate symbol or all people who wear shoes hateful.

#86 The West on 07.01.22 at 3:08 pm

Farmers blocking highways across Germany and Netherlands.

If they learned this from Canadians in February this is one, certainly, to be proud of.

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism!

It is “Canada” Day indeed

#87 tc-contra on 07.01.22 at 3:16 pm

“The Freedom Convoy of truckers, right-winger nutcases and anti-vaxers managed to abscond the flag and turn it into a symbol of anti-left ‘patriotism’ as did the Trump supporters on January 6th. This politicization continues. It’s now a symbol of colonial oppression and historic wrongs to some, the embodiment of intolerance and yahooism to others and a battle pennant for the right.”
////////////////////////////////////////////

Interesting that you can be so right about many things, yet so wrong about others. In honour of Canada’s birthday (and mine!), let’s leave it at that.

#88 RMTL on 07.01.22 at 3:16 pm

Did not know that you had left Lunenburg !?
Back to Toronto full time or still a little bit in NS ?

#89 T Rex and the dinosaur clique on 07.01.22 at 3:18 pm

Pierre just marched with a very controversial figure.

The ex military dude walking across the country in support of his views.

Which are very “out there”

He believes, among other things, that people have ultimate right over their own bodies, and cannot be forced to undergo medicine, against their will and without their consent.

As we all know, this is nuts.

You can of course be forced to take medical treatment, if the treatment would benefit society at large, in the opinion of the state, which opinion cannot be challenged.

Pierre just put himself out in the fringe of conspiracy and whack job thinking with that move.

He’ll get little public support.

However, public opinion is a tricky beast. It can turn without warning. Those in charge are often the last to know.

An obedient public, like a dog lying in a corner, can bite without warning.

This year Pierre is a whack job.

Next year he may be mainstream

#90 Faron on 07.01.22 at 3:35 pm

#49 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 1:00 pm

Thanks Ponz. Nice work getting in those steps. Happy Canada Day.

#91 Robert Ash on 07.01.22 at 3:42 pm

Happy Canada Day to you and Dorothy Garth. The best way forward is to accentuate the positive, and Canada has a lot to celebrate. Always challenges, but let’s keep the cannons facing outwards… Cheers and Good Luck to all Bloggers today…HCD to All.

#92 Melissa on 07.01.22 at 3:43 pm

Happy Canada Day Garth and Dorothy!

#93 jess on 07.01.22 at 3:49 pm

joyful crying :

#94 jess on 07.01.22 at 4:00 pm

do you go to a mechanic to have your teeth looked at?
source of misinformation : anyone Trump seems to have appointed e.g. Dr. Atlas comes to mind
Dr. Scott Atlas, Special Coronavirus Adviser To Trump, Resigns Atlas’ field of expertise is in magnetic resonance imaging. He wrote a book on the subject and co-authored numerous scientific studies on the economics of medical imaging technology.

===============
…perhaps one should enlist the services of a mechanic with a pneumatic drill to both exact one’s molars and exact one from the painful experience of listening to a sad cacophony of perps.

#95 Robert S. on 07.01.22 at 4:18 pm

DELETED (Anti-vaccine)

#96 Leo Trollstoy on 07.01.22 at 4:32 pm

DELETED (Profane)

#97 Sail Away on 07.01.22 at 4:32 pm

Ah, a beautiful day on Van Isle. Took a family hike up Mt Benson to the flag mounted at the summit. Probably 200 people doing the same and almost everyone said Happy Canada Day. Will join some of the downtown festivities after lunch and a nap.

Things seem pretty good, all in all. Abundance abounds.

#98 John Foster on 07.01.22 at 4:37 pm

Happy Canada Day everyone.

Here is a link to a free personal finance course being offered by McGill. I just got my son to do it and it generally reflects what Garth writes about along with some basics on the time value of money.

Hopefully this will help some people out.

#99 Faron on 07.01.22 at 4:50 pm

#78 Ustabe on 07.01.22 at 2:36 pm

Suggested reading for that back roads road trip:

“Blue Highways” by William Least Heat-Moon
“Travels with Charlie” by John Steinbeck
“Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by Robert Pirsig

It’s not quite the same in western Canada where the alternate routes are few. The western US is a better choice.

#100 Flag on 07.01.22 at 5:10 pm

#101 @JacqueShellacque on 07.01.22 at 5:29 pm

Correct 100%, but a KNOW IT ALL aging FA will soon find out that diversity is NOT our strength..

Just give it a couple of years..MARK MY WORDS

#102 IHCTD9 on 07.01.22 at 5:34 pm

#71 Old Boot on 07.01.22 at 2:13 pm

———-

We got the wrong guy in Ottawa if classical Liberal values are desired.

I wonder how many folks in Canada today have zero connection to colonial expansion? Yours don’t, mine don’t. Sail Away, Ponzie, Faron, Patel, and I’m sure many other dogs don’t. The only person in my extended family who died fighting for this country DID. Figure that one out. I’d guess less than half of current living Canucks could say they have any connection to colonialism whatsoever. Way less.

Trudeau has wrecked Canada on all fronts. I just don’t gaf about any so-called “victim group” anymore. Like none. According to our balloon-heads in Ottawa, I am the problem for everything. Yet no one with the blood I have flowing through my veins even lived here prior to 1952.

As long as identity politics rule in Canada, no one can rest easy. Lesbians like yourself should agree. Once a protected victim class, now you’re getting slapped around and cancelled by the trans activists – with the full support of Trudeau. Welcome to the club.

#103 Ed on 07.01.22 at 5:41 pm

Happy Canada Day from Port McNeil…lots of Canadian flags,party in the park with music,lots or orange shirts waving the maple leaf.

Sorry for the tards that gave you the finger.

#104 Gratefulboomer on 07.01.22 at 5:46 pm

I just do not get it. Us Canadians are just so fortunate to live in one of the best countries in the world, some would argue the Best and yet so many of us whine and waste so much time complaining about…..well anything and everything.

Take a deep breath and just try, try and be just a little bit grateful that you are blessed to be able to call Canada your home. HCD!

#105 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 5:51 pm

#68 IHCTD9 on 07.01.22 at 2:05 pm
#46 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 12:43 pm

My new South Asian neighbours…

…BTW, very nice people.

———

Ponzie, you’re a total racist, and you don’t even know it.
——————–
Of course, I am.
Welcome back.

#106 Neil on 07.01.22 at 5:55 pm

In Houston right now. I’d say 3/4 of the houses on our street have American flags on their front lawn. This country may be divided but it’s unified over one thing. I think Canada stand to learn a little bit about how lucky we are to live in the free world.

#107 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 6:05 pm

#71 das boot

—————
Utopia never existed.
We are stuck in this imperfect world.
Deal with it.

#108 Paul B on 07.01.22 at 6:12 pm

Happy Canada Day, Garth! Despite the news cycle on some days, it is still the best country in the world.

#109 I wanna land on 07.01.22 at 6:19 pm

Land acknowledgement is brainwashing people so that they will give up the land in the future.

#110 the Jaguar on 07.01.22 at 6:22 pm

Small plane sounds that might be about seeding clouds here in Calgary on a Canada Day with unfriendly cloud activity. What to do, what to do….

We are watching Gaslit, the Julia Roberts production about Watergate. Fascinating on many fronts. I knew the general details, but the background story is quite interesting. Were women really so readily dismissed in those days? Like the old cigarette ad: ‘You’ve come a long way baby’. ( lol, even the use of ‘Baby’ seems prehistoric!)

Meanwhile, back in the kitchen, the best friijoles I think I have ever made are in the crock pot. Canada Day, but Mexican food on the menu today. (Saludos DonG! Big smooch to Charlie the wiener doggie…)

Perfect day for good food, the people you love, and thoughtful perspective on historical events and how they measure up to the current environment.

Look around kids….it’s a great time to be alive!

#111 Tired bag on 07.01.22 at 6:30 pm

#71 Old Boot on 07.01.22 at 2:13 pm

…ushers in…values of tolerance

You are aspiring to tolerate trans people? Congrats.

#112 Sail Away on 07.01.22 at 6:35 pm

#102 IHCTD9 on 07.01.22 at 5:34 pm

——–

Exactly. I accept zero culpability for anything that happened before my time, and zero culpability for anything done since that time that I personally did not participate in. I consider these ‘other peoples’ problems’.

Stolen land? Yawn, not my issue
Racism? Nope
Land acknowledgement? Sorta dumb, nothing to do with me, and I’m still a temp here in any case, deciding if it’s a place to stay permanently.
Climate emergency? So they say. I’ll keep doing everything that’s legal and easy.
Shame for the past? Never. It’s other peoples’ past anyway. The Spanish Inquisition is in my past and I’m also not ashamed of that.

If these silly ideas ever cause actual difficulty in my life, either socially or financially, it’s quite easy to slip over the border. We’ll always go where treated best as productive members of society, similar to our family’s still-recent flight from Venezuela.

Gotta be prudent.

#113 Happy Gramps on 07.01.22 at 6:39 pm

Went for a long bike ride through Stanley Park, English Bay, Yaletown, False Creek, and downtown Vancouver. Nothing but happy people waving red and white flags, watching Canada Day entertainment and enjoying the weather. Everyone was happy and enjoying themselves. No sign of that loser group. Everyone should appreciate what a great country we live in.

#114 Alberta Ed on 07.01.22 at 6:42 pm

I’m proud of the Maple Leaf and all it stands for. This country gave us and millions of others refuge in time of need. The pathetic, self-righteous wokesters and professional victims who dis the Canadian flag didn’t build this country.

#115 For those who are devout Lefties on 07.01.22 at 6:49 pm

#93 JESS
…………..

So you must be completely thrilled with the sharp shooter team of Biden/Harris team and all their accomplishments?
You sure know how to pick a winning team!! LOL

#116 Happy Canada Day on 07.01.22 at 6:55 pm

For just one time…..

#117 Grunt on 07.01.22 at 7:01 pm

If I’m not allowed to be proud to be british then I’m sure as shit not gonna let you canadian have it either.

Time for you too to join the club of shameful past sins.

Take the holiday pay. Screw the flags.

#118 Ryan Wilson on 07.01.22 at 7:08 pm

“If this country is so god damn free; then I can burn your flag wherever I damn well please”

#119 Trish on 07.01.22 at 7:13 pm

Is it Canada Day or is it Communist Day. I think Trudeaus destroyed Canada.

#120 cramar on 07.01.22 at 7:19 pm

Those who disrespect the Canadian flag do not deserve the blessings it represents.

HCD to you Garth & Dorothy. May you still be reflecting together in another 30 years.

#121 Canadian man on 07.01.22 at 7:53 pm

So people who don’t think the way you do are not allowed to fly the flag Garth?? What a typical “lefty” thing to say. All those “yahoos” flying the flag and protesting the most incompetent and immoral government this nation has ever seen are Canadians, Garth. This is who we are and we are proud. Like it or not, it doesn’t matter. Your hate is your issue. Projection. Happy Canada Day indeed. You aught to thank the patriots. It is because of patriotic and freedom living Canadians that you get the privileged life you live. And the freedom to spew your twisted narrative of who our countrymen actually are. You are simply not worthy of displaying or having custody of our nations symbol Garth, and that is why the flag was taken from you. You are blind. Pitiful.

#122 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.01.22 at 8:20 pm

Too much liquid Holiday cheer for some posters?

#123 crossbordershopper on 07.01.22 at 8:26 pm

its sad in rural sask, there are no parades or flags or even acknowledgement, there is a very strong native crame down that regular canadians should not forget what someone supposedly did to them a long time ago. and we should all collectively not celebrate canada’s birthday, i guess forever again. it is really sad, no fireworks, no flags, you cant even say happy canada day, its really a site to see, it simply doesnt exist here.
wow, go to la ronge sk, and the mayor of the small town, wants to somehow cancel canada everywhere, and people laugh at me up here saying i was born on the wrong side of the line.

#124 KrisTea on 07.01.22 at 8:49 pm

HCD everyone. :) <3

I think we need to switch the narrative. Celebrate Indigenous Day/month and Canada Day. We aren't perfect, but as long as we continue to strive to learn from our mistakes and do/BE better, I think that is the best we can hope for…and more importantly act on.

I am very grateful I was born Canadian and understand what a privilege it has been. Again, not perfect, but seeing incremental improvements. Maybe people don't have a global perspective of history and world challenges??? Dunno? But this hate and negativity needs to stop. It isn't a helpful or productive path to follow.

#125 HappyHarry on 07.01.22 at 8:51 pm

Sad story indeed! Let’s all fly a flag and take this important symbol and help make it a flag for everyone.

#126 Cancel Canada Day on 07.01.22 at 9:00 pm

DELETED (Anti-Canada)

#127 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.22 at 9:01 pm

@#121 Canadian man

What planet did you immigrate to Canada from?

#128 millmech on 07.01.22 at 9:03 pm

Three Arrow Capital now Bankrupt, Voyager crypto exchange has halted trading deposits and withdrawals from the exchange, Block Fi has been sold off. Watching to see if this continues next week and if it becomes a contagion to the markets and creates a liquidity issue.
If a liquidity issue ensues watch credit get tightened like crazy.

#129 Industrial Revolution on 07.01.22 at 9:14 pm

DELETED (Anti-vaccine)

#130 Wrk.dover on 07.01.22 at 9:16 pm

The best revenge is to live well.

In Canada! Oh Yay!!

Always lovin’ each & every minute of it.

HCD Neighbours!

#131 When the Whip Comes Down on 07.01.22 at 9:24 pm

Our prime minister deserves the finger from the entire country, seems other country leaders are subtly doing it already. Hope his supporters soon see the reality of him.
He needs to go…

#132 Doug t on 07.01.22 at 9:32 pm

Well apparently ANGRY is the new norm according to many posts today lol – happy life people? NAMASTE BITCHEZ

#133 T on 07.01.22 at 9:34 pm

#121 Canadian man on 07.01.22 at 7:53 pm

————

We get it, you’re a very proud boy.

#134 Sail Away on 07.01.22 at 10:00 pm

Q: What did Venezuela use before candles?
A: Electricity!

#135 Midnight’s on 07.01.22 at 10:05 pm

Come on, Garth, lol.

-It’s the left, that changed the lyrics of O’Canada.

-In Ottawa, it’s was the left that complained about the peaceful protest.
-now in the U.S., it’s the left, threatening Supreme Court Judges (that my friend is insane).
-It’s the left, stripping down in Churches

-It’s the left planning this, end of oil garbage, lol. Over 3000 products contain oil.

We must read and listening to different people, lol.

#136 WTF on 07.01.22 at 10:17 pm

Lots of flags in the windows in DT Van apartments. Folks walking about with flag tattoos pasted on their faces. My fitness friends from Brazil/USA/Russia/Columbia/Mexico/Ireland seem happy to be here.

As an anecdote one of the “former” Brazilians just got a Canadian Passport (not sure how given the mess at the PP office:-) I overheard him being asked by his PR peers “How is it crossing the US Border as a Canadian?” “Dude it is soo easy compared to the Brazilian, waved me right through”

I got a chuckle out of that, then told them, pre 9/11 was only a drivers license for us Canucks and the Border Guards would actually act human, Got the: “OK boomer” eyerolls…

The two Russian dudes got to talking, one here 6 years the other 11 months. 6 year Man said “you got out just in time”

HCD!

#137 Midnight's on 07.01.22 at 10:27 pm

“ For all my life I have been a proud Conservative. But this is not my tribe. – Garth”

I can respect that :).
Happy C.D.

#138 IHCTD9 on 07.01.22 at 10:27 pm

#121 Canadian man on 07.01.22 at 7:53 pm
——

Garth’s flag was stolen by a bunch of lefty activist goons. Antifa style.

He put it up despite protests in person from said lefties, and even from City Hall. He was slagged for days on social media for displaying it, then it was stolen overnight.

Get your facts lined up before commenting.

#139 just say no on 07.01.22 at 10:33 pm

Happy Canada Day to all! It is such a beautiful life! Being fit and healthy starts with each of us. Oh and self accountability, I live in the perfect Canada!!!!!!!
Love to you all!

#140 Stealth on 07.01.22 at 10:44 pm

Happy Canada Day to everyone.

Reading blog posts above… well folks:

It is all the same, has been for thousands or years, only difference is now speed of information (or misinformation) manifested by advancements in technology that gets to your brains if you allow it.

If you look at history long enough even isolating for the potentiality of small percentage of accuracy/factuality in it, it is still all the same and will be the same.

Therefore, enjoy Canada day of this unbelievably wonderful country with all of its imperfections.
If you think a better country exists (such as Australia, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland etc) visit , nicely and honestly, and take a look for yourself in case you haven’t been.

Happy Canada Day.

#141 millmech on 07.01.22 at 11:45 pm

Not all is well down south, more to come I hear.

#142 Ron Murray on 07.01.22 at 11:52 pm

Poignant Garth, thanks.

I remember vividly as my high-school class gathered around the front lawn to witness the raising of the Maple Leaf for the first time. It was kinda cool. Kinda ours. Even my British Dad who served with the First Canadian Army in Holland under the Red Ensign liked it. It really made me proud to sew a small flag on my back pack as I wandered around Europe and Africa after graduating from U of T.

Mostly it was a unifying symbol. No Union Jack, no Fleur-de-lis. Just our symbol as we took our first tentative steps forward into our second century as a nation. Canada is not a precocial country. We lack the boldness of our southern neighbours. We don’t wrap everything in our flag as the do on the 4th. But it is our symbol, for all of us, as modest as we may be.

The flag was never meant to be highjacked by any one party or faction. It is everyone’s and while we are going through a rough patch, I think we will return to that quite modest unity that the flag was always intended for.

#143 Michael in-north-york on 07.01.22 at 11:58 pm

Long live Canada! Best country in the world!

#144 DJT on 07.02.22 at 12:07 am

I remember in the old days when the Red Maple Leaf stood for Strong and Free.

Its a sad day for what used to be Canada.

#145 Wow on 07.02.22 at 12:16 am

Did you seriously have people give your house the finger because you flew our national flag? What a couple of tools those people are. Sorry to hear that. Happy Canada day! ignore them, life is too short. The silent majority is firmly with you,

#146 Puzzled in Mtl on 07.02.22 at 12:18 am

In my neighbourhood (Montreal), there is an older guy who, for years, has been walking around Main Street on St Jean Baptiste Day, dressed in blue pants and a fleur de lys shirt. He smiles to everybody and waves the fleur de lys flag.
On Canada Day, he does the same thing but dressed in red pants and a maple leaf shirt and he carries the Canadian flag.
People from all background used to cheer and shake hands with him.
Nowdays, most people laugh at him.
So sad!

#147 TMac on 07.02.22 at 12:41 am

On days like today I look at the picture of my grandfather, complete with WW2 medals in the frame, and often wonder what he would think of the country he fought for at this time in history.
I am ashamed of what we have become but, it’s easy for me to say that. Where he was under a hail of bullets from nazi gunfire(real nazis that is)would he have the same thought? I still wonder.

#148 Observer on 07.02.22 at 1:14 am

#110 the Jaguar on 07.01.22 at 6:22 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting take considering that American women are being dismissed now more than they ever have been in the past 50 years.

#149 Old Boot on 07.02.22 at 1:18 am

#111 Tired bag on 07.01.22 at 6:30 pm

#71 Old Boot on 07.01.22 at 2:13 pm

…ushers in…values of tolerance

You are aspiring to tolerate trans people? Congrats.

**********

Tolerate an ideology that demands the sterilization and life-long medicalization of neurodivergent and traumatized kids, and pushes kids who would otherwise grow up to be gay adults into gender conversion therapy, because they like the wrong clothes and toys?

No. To tolerate that, one would have to abandon everything we know about child development, child safeguarding, informed consent, and embrace eugenics. Not me. The LGB never came for the kids.

Once gay rights were achieved in western democracies, the well-funded advocacy and human rights groups were suddenly faced with justifying their salaries, and so was born the infinite alphabet of ‘marginalized’ designer identities. The ‘+’ at the end of the LGBTQ2S+ is a threat. Pedos are already lining up for inclusion. Pride is just a fetish display for mostly heterosexual people now.

Queer theory, from which the trans bs descends, kills everything it touches and it’s eroding the gains the LGB worked so hard for.

#150 Joe Lalonde on 07.02.22 at 4:06 am

It could be worse…
Should you’ve put up a ‘I support Trump’ flag.
Our media and politicians turned that into a hate symbol.
You may have had damage done to your property…

I love Canada the country and its beauty and what it could become.
Unfortunately our politicians have a different perspective that is disturbing, destructive and will collapse its infrastructure.

#151 under the radar on 07.02.22 at 6:11 am

To be able to walk my forest and identify various weeds and all the rest of the lush ground cover, and then a family lunch. Away from the worlds problems, no apologies from me, I earned it and this Country let me reap what I sow. HCD

#152 the Jaguar on 07.02.22 at 8:19 am

@#148 Observer on 07.02.22 at 1:14 am
#110 the Jaguar on 07.01.22 at 6:22 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting take considering that American women are being dismissed now more than they ever have been in the past 50 year+++

Not from my viewpoint. I see men as the ones who have been dismissed, especially if they are white males. Every big company does their annual internal survey to get a head count on how many people they have that fit into the ‘inclusiveness’ category for bragging rights. Douglas Murray does a whole chapter on the power women hold in his book The Madness of Crowds. An interesting read. Call me old fashioned, but I still subscribe to the view that the most qualified person should get the job.

#153 Dharma Bum on 07.02.22 at 9:18 am

#68 IHCTD9

Ponzie, you’re a total racist, and you don’t even know it.
——————————————————————————————————

But, some of my best friends are:

(Insert identifiable minority here)_________________.

#154 Lovethisblog on 07.02.22 at 9:54 am

All this divison and hate can be placed SQUARELY at the feet of Justin Trudeau. Until he is gone, Canada will continue it’s decline

#155 ulsterman on 07.02.22 at 1:28 pm

#9 the jaguar on 07.01.22 at 11:29 am
To the two middle age orange shirt wearers:

I apologize for nothing. Get a mitt and get in the game.

To me this is the comment of the week. Short and succinct, and simply says it all.

#156 ulsterman on 07.02.22 at 1:54 pm

#37 Scooby Snacks on 07.01.22 at 12:24 pm

NO, the same is true for ALL countries. Just depends on how far you go back. Some group, at some point in time, displaced an existing group, and i’ll go out on a limb here and assume that when they asked politely to be left alone they did not get the desired response.

I imagine some indigenous tribe displaced another because the hunting and fishing was superior. An Irish tribe displaced another Irish tribe for whatever reason.

The list goes on…

#157 Philco on 07.02.22 at 1:55 pm

#126 Cancel Canada Day on 07.01.22 at 9:00 pm
DELETED (Anti-Canada)

Find another country or maybe just come to my house. Both will work.

#158 Classical Liberal Millennial on 07.02.22 at 2:41 pm

Canada itself is a great concept and could be a great country. But we’re just so filled with losers.

#159 Paddyd3733 on 07.02.22 at 2:58 pm

The atrocities that were committed upon indigenous children that were abducted from their families is abhorrent and my heart goes out to their grieving families. I believe that we should do all that we can to ensure that the remains are repatriated to their families so that they may be properly buried and the families may have some sort of closure.
While I have genuine sympathy for those wronged, I refuse to accept the burden of guilt for a crime that I did not commit. I would like to think that most reasonable Canadians would feel the same way.
To the middled aged folk that give the finger to our flag, maybe you should find a better place to live, since you are so disgusted by the country behind our flag?
Fact Check:
Best country in the world; CANADA
Best song in the world; OH CANADA
To those of you who disrespect our flag, go live somewhere better and don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

#160 Jennifer on 07.02.22 at 5:45 pm

I think our Canadian flag has been used/abused lately.

Since the ” my way or the highway “Ottawa occupiers who used our symbolic flag for their agenda, somehow seeing our flag seems to give me a sad feeling.

I used to enjoy seeing it outdoors, now not so much.

But, my family took the effort to go back and remember what Canadian flag represents. It represents past inflicted pains that my generation must constantly be reminded of, and cannot move on. Then we have ‘ Trump followers who do not believe that in the end we have to work together to solve problems’.

Then we have the ‘faith based righteous ones’ who instead of focusing on their own mistakes and fix them, they are putting their energy on trying to fix their unbelievers.

When my own Father used to ” remind me” of my failings not because I have many, but because I did not join the Evangelical cause. I used to say, as a sinner you don’t have the time to fix others, you are too busy fixing your own.

In the end, I am thankful to my parents for bringing all five kids to a country called Canada. At first, the adjustment was awful, but here I am 53 years later and at times I am thinking about going back to Czech republic, but in my heart I am CANADIAN.

Thank you Canada!

#161 Jennifer on 07.02.22 at 6:19 pm

To: The Jaguar

You don’t have to be ” old fashioned” to believe that the one who is most capable should get the job.

As a woman, I don’t want any priorities. Any respectable woman wants equal access to education, wages….

But you have to understand past history. I still remember I was getting less hourly wage for the same work. Not because I was unable, but because I was a female. Before cheap Chinese workers, it used to be that employers would hire women to save money.

Again, we have a situation of systematic discrimination
that was legal, and abused. Like all abuse, it will not be tolerated by the oppressed in the long run, and you are going from one extreme to the other.

You have stated that ” white man” is now given the kick in the but. On some level you are right, but as a white woman I hear” if that happened to the white woman, police would do a better job to find the perpetrator”.

Let’s not even talk about my husband who is Asian. He have his own crap to deal with. In the end, we support each other in our own struggles that the world have caused.

#162 Jay (not that one) on 07.03.22 at 9:56 am

You’ve spent too much time in downtown Toronto, buddy. These cataclysmic ideologies aren’t normal. Wanting to tear down the entire country, strike it’s name from the history books, burn every flag in a great pyre, and force millions of people from the land their great great grandfathers lived isn’t normal.

There is no middle ground with such an ideology. Ask the American natives.

Happy Canada day.

#163 Terrie Rolph on 07.03.22 at 10:28 pm

I am so sorry this happened to you and Dorothy.
Thank you for everything you do for people. I appreciate how much I’ve learned from you.