Dr. Garth

Our first patient is Dennis. Most people would love to share his affliction. “Years and years ago I bought some Apple stock,” he says, “for, like $6k US, then I forgot about it.”

Mirabile dictu, that sucker’s currently worth “upper 6 figures,” he says.

Now I have no idea what to do if I sell the stock. I don’t mind paying some tax, just not a lot of tax (and by a lot I mean I don’t want to buy Justin a Porsche).  Is there a loophole for the one-time capital gains of a stock?  Do I quit my job and over the next 15 years or so sell the stock a bit at a time?  Can I trade the stock for a house with someone, then sell the house and not worry about capital gains?  Can I defer paying the capital gains into the future?

Capital gains tax works like this: you keep half the profit. The remainder’s added to income for the year, and you pay tax on that total. The greatest amount anyone would shell out (and you need an income of about $250,000 to get there) is 26%. Overall, at least 74% of the profit is tax-free – which, in the scheme of things, ain’t bad.

First, D, there’s no special exemption for one-time capitalists like you. It’s not like those auto insurance policies that give you one free accident. Nor can you trade the stock for a house. A taxable event. No allowed deferral, either. In fact, lots of people think Chrystia will up the CG inclusion rate from half to 75% in the 2022 budget – which would vastly increase the size of your remittance to Ottawa. So selling sooner than later might be prudent.

Do you have unused RRSP room? Hopefully so, as that can be used to offset some of the sting. Sell by the end of the year, then take until March 1st to feed the retirement plan and deduct this from 2021 taxable income. Meanwhile, Dennis, you may bask in the thanks of a grateful nation.

Now, here’s Dave. “I’m a burnt-out ER doctor,” he says, “trying to find a balance between supporting my family and regaining my happiness in life.”

We appreciate the sacrifice, Dave. How can we help?

My wife is increasingly tired of hearing “But Garth says…” as my rebuttal to buying a home. I truly appreciate the education you provide through your blog and the work you have done in service to our country. But my wife has finally worn me down and we are looking at putting an offer on a home. We are following the Garth Turner rule of 90 and buying a home we can afford both now and in 5 years.

My question relates to whether we should use the RRSP First time home buyers if we don’t absolutely need to. We have about 2/3 of the downpayment saved in cash rotting in a HISA. The other 3rd needs to either come from the RRSP HBP, our TFSAs or I need to issue a dividend from my Corp. While I appreciate that using the HBP will cause use to lose out on some compounding interest, I’d rather lose that in the RRSP than TFSA. And to afford the Corp dividend plus increased tax I would need to up my work load at a time when I am trying to find more balance. My gut tells me the RRSP HBP makes the most sense but wondered if you had any thoughts.

The gut has it, Dave. The RRSP Home Buyer’s Plan is a gift – it allows a big tax-free withdrawal ($70,000 for a couple) and repayment into your plan can be spread over 15 years. No payback is required until year two, then you can accelerate the schedule or just stop making payments, in which case one-fifteenth of the withdrawal annually is added to taxable income. No biggie.

Now because docs don’t (like you) generally have pensions, tending to invest through their corporations (then retiring and nibbling away at those funds) having a giant TFSA in retirement is a big advantage. It can provide untaxed cashflow without pushing you into a higher income bracket after turning 71. That’s when RRSPs must become RRIFs with mandatory withdrawals which are added to taxable income. So feed the tax-free account now while borrowing from the other to buy that house.

Now go. Speak to her. “Garth says we’re doing it, babe…”

And finally, here’s Rob. He’s 62. She’s 55. “We’re having an interesting conversation just now and it occurred to me to run it by you (maybe even a blog posting topic?),” he says. The house is worth $1.5 million. The mortgage is just $150,000 at 2.59%. They have a HELOC set up for $430,000 at 1.9%.

“Would it not make sense to pay off the mortgage with funds from the lower rate equity LOC?  We would then have option to monthly pay only interest owed on the borrowed funds, or a higher amount if we want to pay down the debit overall. We both work minimally these days, which we prefer, but this would be part of our reducing monthly expenses and increasing cashflow. “

Maybe. But consider this: there may well be a mortgage discharge fee. Even if it’s minimal – like a three-month penalty – that makes the change in financing less worthwhile. Second, the HELOC money is a demand loan at a variable rate. You can be certain it won’t be sitting at 1.9% in six months. In fact, if rates rise you might be staring at prime plus a half – greater than the mortgage cost.

Third, interest-only payments are cheaper, but blended ones mean you’re actually reducing the debt on your home. In a low-rate world, debt repayment happens far faster than when rates have spiked. So this relatively small debt could look more daunting years from now. Finally, those interest-only payments are only tax-deductible when the money is used to generate investment income. Not to retire a mortgage.

Just pay the loan, Rob. And find you two need to find more romantic stuff to talk about.

About the picture: “This is Esther, Goldendoodle and Milo, Barn cat,” writes Ron, in Kitchener. “My wife and I have noticed how a friendship has grown between the unlikely two. They are both 2 years old and Milo visits Esther every day. I’m not a cat person but Milo is a good mouser and keeps the population in check so he is kinda okay for a cat.”

#1 Guy in Calgary on 12.09.21 at 3:56 pm

Suck it up buttercup and pay your capital gains tax.

#2 erik mtl on 12.09.21 at 3:58 pm

Pandemics pass, of course, and life these days, despite everything, is immeasurably better than 100 years ago, I do believe. However, I think people are underestimating the potentially copious covid infection numbers coming early next year. Of course, if you’re vaxed, no problem. But maybe these rate hikes won’t be until Q2 earliest? https://thezvi.wordpress.com/2021/12/06/omicron-post-4/

#3 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 4:09 pm

For Dave the doc:

If either of you are under 40 and that new homebuyers’ plan comes out before you’ve bought a house, you may be able to save a whackload.

Details as yet unknown until the gov’t announcement, of course.

#4 MC on 12.09.21 at 4:10 pm

“…And you two need to find more romantic stuff to talk about.”

Money & finance IS romantic! this blog is not only informative it’s HOT.

#5 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 4:22 pm

Tesla Cyberquad reservations sell out in one day.

Elon Midas does it again! And again, and again… to be fair.

#6 yorkville renter on 12.09.21 at 4:22 pm

all good problems to have…

upper 6 figures for just waiting? outstanding!

#7 B on 12.09.21 at 4:26 pm

What is the best place to live in Canada where you can get a detached house for under $600k?

#8 BlogDog123 on 12.09.21 at 4:30 pm

Good thing about a Doctor job,… likely no shortage of work with the ageing population, including doctors retiring. I had two old doctors retire on me recently, as they wind down their professional corp to become their retirement nest egg. These guys retired in their late 60s due to their declining health.

I’d like to retire in my early 60’s so I can enjoy those retirement years with some health…

#9 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 4:35 pm

Oh I can’t wait for all the socialist to jump in on this one….

#10 Paddy on 12.09.21 at 4:36 pm

Rob and his squeeze should sell their home and peace the f&$! out. I hear Mexico is warm this time of year…why older people stay in Canada for the winters is very confusing to me……”but the Covid”….yeah yeah yeah

#11 TurnerNation on 12.09.21 at 4:42 pm

For the Tess-La fans.
Body panel gaps you can grow plants in. Panel panel differing

— War on Small business rages on. UK being hit hard. “Plan B”? What is plan C, further reset?
All the old culture must be torn down:

.Boris faces mass Tory revolt over ‘non-sensical’ Plan B Covid tightening(dailymail.co.uk)

.Covid in Scotland: People urged to cancel Christmas parties (bbc.co.uk)

.Pubs may run out of cash as more work from home (bbc.co.uk)

— Almost back to normal in Kanada guys! Christmas still cancelled.

.CP Holiday Train event cancelled for second year in a row(montrealgazette.com)

— Every system designed to help us has been turned against us.

Buffalo NY Fires 500 Healthcare Workers Refusing To Vaccinate, 7 Hospitals Stop Performing Surgeries
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Time has run out for hundreds of local healthcare employees who were not comfortable getting the COVID vaccination… Because of the mass firing, there are 7 hospitals in the area that are no longer doing surgeries.

#12 Dolce Vita on 12.09.21 at 4:47 pm

#11 SP on 12.05.21 at 3:03 pm
Now we all have to get three doses, too. – Garth

It’ll always be N+1. Doses, covid waves, years of pandemic, you name it.

——————

Fields Medal + Seer.

N = 4

Nope, nope…make that N = 7.

Time to buy Pfizer…

#13 Dolce Vita on 12.09.21 at 5:01 pm

Forgot to mention, NO MORE tests/1000 people from me as the “O” word begins take over.

From UK ZOE today:

“Yes as we are seeing with the early U.K. cases reported on the Zoe app the infection time is very rapid at around 48 hours – so conventional track and trace is useless…”

UK going to a vax passport, more restrictions etc. “Plan B”, Monday.

1/4 cases there are breakthrough.

——————–

Italia still hanging in there with low Cases/100 relative to population, neighbors and pretty much the rest of Europa.

I wonder how long that can last.

PS:

Netflix Italia running “Under Arrest” Cdn Cops rounding up the baddies.

“Il Vecchio Ovest.”

#14 cramar on 12.09.21 at 5:10 pm

Sounds like Dennis does not really need the capital now from selling the AAPL stock. Sounds like he lived just fine up to now. Why not just keep it until retirement, then sell off a number of shares each year to fund a super retirement?

What if the markets crash in the next year or two and takes AAPL along with it? Has Dennis maxed out his TFSA? If not it’s an opportunity. Sell enough AAPL stock after the market crashes to do an “in kind” transfer of AAPL into the TFSA. Then ride up the stock again over the following years, with this amount protected from capital gains.

#15 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.09.21 at 5:23 pm

#123 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 3:41 pm
#119 IHCTD9 on 12.09.21 at 12:55 pm
#112 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.09.21 at 10:51 am
#107 IHCTD9 on 12.09.21 at 8:42 am
#88 DON on 12.08.21 at 10:31 pm

I hope you are getting 2 whopper meals for that! Oh and the whoppers are up 6.5% too.
————-
Smart shoppers get their Whopper fix on Whopper Wednesday.
Monday is Mary’s Big Chicken Day.
And, of course, there’s the 2 pieces combo meal special every Tuesday at the Colonel.
Inflation! What inflation?

#16 Dolce Vita on 12.09.21 at 5:23 pm

S. African born Elon Musk getting his Cyber Truck styling cues from:

—————

#5 Sail Away

Kind of partial to this myself:

0-100 kmh 2.6 sec., 240 km/h, City: 420 km.

And for toddlers:

Tesla has a Learning Curve advantage for now. If they keep putting out ugly vehicles at a premium price…well you know what will happen as the rest catch up.

#17 Pandemic Is Over on 12.09.21 at 5:24 pm

Since the taxes are progressive (pun not intended), they better be distributed over multiple years. So yeah, some 1/3rd of Apple can be sold right now while it’s still ’21, another 1/3 in 2022, another 1/3 left for 2023.
Stuffing the RRSP is a good advice for sure.

#18 Oaken Noggin on 12.09.21 at 5:30 pm

#7 B on 12.09.21 at 4:26 pm

Kelowna … of course! Sorry, I jumped the gun … I only read the “best place to live” part and thought you said a detached GARAGE for $600K.

#19 Wrk.dover on 12.09.21 at 5:30 pm

#7 B on 12.09.21 at 4:26 pm
_________________________

100% Hinges on what you plan to do there.

#20 truefacts on 12.09.21 at 5:36 pm

“The greatest amount anyone would shell out (and you need an income of about $250,000 to get there) is 26%.”
– Garth
_________________________________________

Not trying to be annoying, but isn’t the rate:
53.53 x 50% = 26.76% in Ontario

Also doesn’t the Ontario surtax make you pay even more?

#21 Stoph on 12.09.21 at 5:39 pm

A note to the capitalists on the blog. Canada does have a Lifetime Capital Gain Exemption for the disposition of qualified property: Qualified Small Business Corporation shares, Qualified Farm Property, or Qualified Fishing Property. Unfortunately for Dennis, Apple stock isn’t included.

Starting and developing a business in Canada can be profitable.

#22 Dolce Vita on 12.09.21 at 5:56 pm

To Italians, arguably Design Caput Mundi, a Tesla has all the cachet of a:

Smartphone with 4 wheels.

Italia EV’s coming…

Maserati Alfieri

Ferrari Purosangue, Italian idea of an SUV

Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio EV

Lamborghini Huracán Hybrid

Tesla Y and its Inspiration…BULBOUS

——————-

Tick, tock, tick, tock Elon. Hire someone that knows how to design a hot looking car for the prices you charge.

Almost forgot, the ever imaginative American Car Designers…

Google: “new corvette looks like ferrari”

Many are putting a Ferrari badge on their Corvette…that should tell you what they really wished they were driving.

#23 Bob on 12.09.21 at 5:56 pm

I get so sick of hearing comments like this. Do people really think that taxes sent to Ottawa directly enrich politicians? Shouldn’t you call this out, Garth?

#24 Yukon Elvis on 12.09.21 at 6:30 pm

#8 BlogDog123 on 12.09.21 at 4:30 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Good thought Bubba. Have as much fun as you can in your early 60’s . I have seen quite a few lose their health or drop dead just after retirement at 65. It took me from 59 to 67 to do my bucket list but I got ‘er done before the two heart attacks slowed me down. Grin. No regrets.

#25 John Foster on 12.09.21 at 6:55 pm

Dolce,

Ferrari owners are famous for bragging about how few kilometers their cars have on them. Garage-Drive-Repair/Maintain Garage-Drive-Repair/Maintain.

Porsche drivers are famous for boasting how many kilometers are on their cars and how they drive the p*** out of them. I’m more of an American muscle guy myself, but would choose a GT3 over a Ferrari any day.

#26 Dr V on 12.09.21 at 6:58 pm

7 B

“What is the best place to live in Canada where you can
get a detached house for under $600k?”

A great question for everyone to share some ideas. And
yes it does depend what you want to do there.

If you like the mountains, hunting, salt water fishing
and don’t mind being in a smaller somewhat isolated community with limited work opportunities, how about Gold River on Northern Vancouver Island?

For a large city, Calgary looks to have some value. When I was there I heard constant remarks about how nice a place it was. But those were from people who had moved from further East.

And how about Moncton for a mid-size centre in eastern Canada? Never been there. Anybody?

#27 Faron on 12.09.21 at 7:06 pm

#83 Sail Away on 12.08.21 at 9:21 pm

#74 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.08.21 at 8:01 pm
#52 Sail Away on 12.08.21 at 5:19 pm

Here’s an excellent South Dakota…

Any intolerance…

You are kidding, right? Hardy har har…

Seems SDers (or the government that they have elected) are pretty intolerant of quite a few things, in fact. Ponzi’s arrival could only serve to dilute the level of intolerance that the paragon of US right wing-bat-ism, South Dakota, exemplifies in spades. Sure, libertarian-esque for some. Maybe even the majority. But calling SD “tolerant” is only slightly more accurate than calling the Taliban “tolerant”.

#28 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 7:11 pm

#15 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.09.21 at 5:23 pm
#123 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 3:41 pm
#119 IHCTD9 on 12.09.21 at 12:55 pm
#112 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.09.21 at 10:51 am
#107 IHCTD9 on 12.09.21 at 8:42 am
#88 DON on 12.08.21 at 10:31 pm

————-
Smart shoppers get their Whopper fix on Whopper Wednesday.
Monday is Mary’s Big Chicken Day.
Inflation! What inflation?

——————————–

Well, it sounds like the tax increase means 24 less whopper combos per couple per year to me. Taxes or food, it was always going to come down to that.

I guess that is why socialist are always so thin. Except their leaders.

#29 Faron on 12.09.21 at 7:13 pm

#11 TurnerNation on 12.09.21 at 4:42 pm

For the Tess-La fans.
Body panel gaps you can grow plants in. Panel panel differing

“disappointed” by the interior and exterior. That’s okay because they can still be proud of the… ummmm… the…. well… ya know…. Oh yeah, nothing. Because that’s the whole danged car. But hey, Tesla makes whistles and kid toys now, so we should cut them a break for being a car company making utter garbage cars. Are they last in Consumer Reports rankings yet, or still merely second to last? sail Away, can you help out here?

#30 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 7:18 pm

#25 John Foster on 12.09.21 at 6:55 pm
Dolce,

———————————–

Some years back some guy in a Ferrari hit a pothole here in Calgary and sued the city for damages. That sort of car is useless except on a track.

Perhaps that partially explains why trucks and SUV’s are so popular in Alberta. Anyone who has driven here before knows the snow is only part of the problem.

#31 Shawn Allen on 12.09.21 at 7:27 pm

Tesla?

My model Y is on order. The Tsunami of Teslas and electrics is upon on.

For a free charge in Cape Breton go to the Clansman Motel in North Sydney. It’s a slow charger so you’ll need to stay the night. Or just plug in for an hour or two while you enjoy a home-style meal at the restaurant there. Tell ’em I sent you.

#32 Reximus on 12.09.21 at 7:36 pm

————-
I have a 2008 Volvo XC wgn (american) with 230k miles on it. Runs like a new car. I dont really like Volvos and I despise the dealer, but I got it for $1000 a few years ago, so cant really complain.

My buddy in Vcr has a Maserati, that just cost him 7k for new tires at the Ferrari dlr.

To each his own

#33 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 7:40 pm

#29 Faron on 12.09.21 at 7:13 pm
#11 TurnerNation on 12.09.21 at 4:42 pm

For the Tess-La fans.
Body panel gaps you can grow plants in.

——–

——–

Haha. All I can really say for sure is that mine’s awesome and my brother is also very happy with his after about 5 years of ownership for both of us.

You seem fairly worked up, though. Such vehemence.
You do know it’s just a car, right? I mean, heck: buy one and if you don’t like it, just give it away and buy something else.

Geez. Do I have to propose all the solutions around here?

#34 wallflower on 12.09.21 at 7:51 pm

Where is Felix?

#35 VladTor on 12.09.21 at 7:52 pm

Garth…Capital gains tax works like this: you keep half the profit.
***************
Mr. Garth – very interesting and useful lesson today. Thank you.

When I’m selling expensive art – will be apply same capital gain tax rule too?

#36 TurnerNation on 12.09.21 at 7:55 pm

Italy sounds like a ball! Where to sign up? The soft sell on global control over travel/movements of course.
The shot has brought them freedom and normalcy!!

“On a recent trip to Italy, I ran into a McDonalds at the Milan Central Railway Station hoping for a quick meal. I was greeted by a masked and gloved health inspector who checked the Q.R. code on my vaccination card before giving me a red verification sticker. All ordering was done via electronic kiosks; the employees barely exchanged any words with customers as they assembled and distributed Big Macs from behind a massive plexiglass shield. Everyone wore masks and just about everyone was hunched over a phone while they waited for their orders. Many never bothered to remove their wireless headphones. If this is the future of affordable travel, who is going to bother paying for tickets?”

— Cancelling Christmas. The goal – in all the Former First World Countries.

.Scots ‘strongly urged’ to defer Christmas parties after Omicron outbreaks (theguardian.com)
——

“COVID-19 Mortality Risk Correlates Inversely with Vitamin D3 Status, and a Mortality Rate Close to Zero Could Theoretically Be Achieved at 50 ng/mL 25(OH)D3:”

#37 Dogman01 on 12.09.21 at 8:08 pm

#7 B on 12.09.21 at 4:26 pm

——————————–
Always found these lists interesting:

#38 Dr V on 12.09.21 at 8:37 pm

37 Dogman01 – 2018? A lot of those places were already over the price threshold blogger B gave.

#39 Diharv on 12.09.21 at 8:50 pm

Dave could also takeout a shareholder loan from his corporation and then not have to worry about losing out on compounding gains. The loan does not need to repaid until the corps year end after the year in which it is taken out if I remember correctly. I did it ten years ago to pay off a new house purchase as our current residence had not been listed yet (we had to move quickly). Then six months later, our house sold and I repaid the shareholder loan.

#40 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.09.21 at 8:59 pm

31 Shawn Allen on 12.09.21 at 7:27 pm
Tesla?

My model Y is on order. The Tsunami of Teslas and electrics is upon on.

—————-
Haha
Klansman Hotel, Tesla and Sailo.
Would be the perfect match.
But Sailo prefers to sleep in his Tesla.

#41 Felix on 12.09.21 at 9:31 pm

Yep, sniff our paws and bow down, doggie boys.

We’re in charge.

#42 R on 12.09.21 at 9:45 pm

If you do not want to buy a Tesla, don’t test drive one. You will have drivers remorse forever after

#43 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.09.21 at 9:48 pm

#35 VladTor on 12.09.21 at 7:52 pm
Garth…Capital gains tax works like this: you keep half the profit.
***************
Mr. Garth – very interesting and useful lesson today. Thank you.

When I’m selling expensive art – will be apply same capital gain tax rule too?
————————
You should check with Sailo.
He’s a expert in expensive Hawaiian Mural Whale art.

#44 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.09.21 at 9:57 pm

#30 nonplussed

——————-
It explains completely why f-150s are so popular in Alberta, pothole Capital of Canada.
They should put them on their Provincial Emblem.

#45 B on 12.09.21 at 10:16 pm

Dr V on 12.09.21 at 6:58 pm

“What is the best place to live in Canada where you can
get a detached house for under $600k?”

A great question for everyone to share some ideas. And
yes it does depend what you want to do there.

If you like the mountains, hunting, salt water fishing

————

Thanks, ya we like outdoorsy stuff.

We’ve been looking at the Bragg Creek area, it would be nice to have access to the mountains there and a city centre like Calgary.

Edmonton looks like a good option too, just not close to mountain stuff.

We’ve also looked all over Vancouver Island, small crack shacks in Duncan were $375k 12 months ago and now they are $550k. I was thinking Nanaimo might be a good spot for access to Vancouver, but need to be in the right neighbourhood.

#46 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 10:23 pm

#74 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.08.21 at 8:01 pm
#52 Sail Away on 12.08.21 at 5:19 pm

You are kidding, right? Hardy har har…

———-

As I recall, there was only one blogdog supporting ISIS-tactic historical artifact destruction during those twisted statue- smashing times, for which this blog’s host smacked him down hard.

#47 B on 12.09.21 at 10:29 pm

#19 Wrk.dover on 12.09.21 at 5:30 pm
#7 B on 12.09.21 at 4:26 pm
_________________________

100% Hinges on what you plan to do there.

———-

We like to be outdoors enjoying nature. Hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, camping, whatever the place has to offer.

#48 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 10:57 pm

#47 B on 12.09.21 at 10:29 pm

———

In BC: Williams Lake, 100 Mile House, Clinton, Logan Lake, 108 Mile Ranch.

#49 VladTor on 12.09.21 at 11:08 pm

#43 Ponzius Pilatus….

******************

You only have three attempts to give me the correct answer. The first attempt is not valid !!!!!
Try again!

#50 Satori on 12.09.21 at 11:20 pm

“In fact, lots of people think Chrystia will up the CG inclusion rate from half to 75% in the 2022 budget – which would vastly increase the size of your remittance to Ottawa.”

Hmm IF Chrystia does that, maybe the next election the opposition will say they are going to remove it, and finally we will be rid of Trudeau.

Alot of Canadians invest in stocks… how else are we going to get rid of T2???

#51 Satori on 12.09.21 at 11:28 pm

Dr V on 12.09.21 at 6:58 pm

“What is the best place to live in Canada where you can
get a detached house for under $600k?”

______________

Saskatchewan …. living in Vancouver is traffic HELL! Every man for him/herself so good luck when we get an earthquake. Nanaimo – NEVER… The island is a major NO! Ferries are packed, only small pockets of nice neighborhoods, surrounded by crime and tent cities.

Edmonton and Calgary…uh, no. Snow and ice and red neck politics.

Never been to Saskatchewan but geez-louise prices are a reality check compared to here!

#52 Satori on 12.09.21 at 11:35 pm

And Please, Teslas are like hyundai in Vancouver. Every Tom, Dick, Harry and Jennifer has one. NOT original, NOT different, NOT unique… ONLY a Keeping up with the JONES car.

Make me feel sorry for the lot of them owners! (sad face, schadenfreude)!!

#53 Satori on 12.09.21 at 11:49 pm

#47 B on 12.09.21 at 10:29 pm

____________________________________

8 months of dark and rain in Vancouver and on the Island…. no including the danger. Hope you picked another place.

Oh and any Vancouverite who wanna protest that, just let us know how many times you venture out on the seawall or stanley parkor in this day and age.. Robson street!!??? The whole place is a ghost town of consumers… now a camp city on the ‘for lease’ store fronts.

#54 Jane24 on 12.10.21 at 1:40 am

$600,000 in Portugal buys you a mansion with 4 beds all the bows and whistles and a pool and no winter. To live there with a D7 visa you only need to prove that you have an income or savings in either real life or on the net of 8000 euros a year. Lots of other warm EU countries also going for these outsider visas to boost their populations. Check out Cyprus too. Check out http://www.rightmove.co.uk to see the bargains.

#55 millmech on 12.10.21 at 2:01 am

#1 Guy In Calgary
If Dennis is smart not only will he avoid any taxes he could get a nice refund every year. Should take him about 10 years to wind down the account without generating a taxable event.

#56 Diamond Dog on 12.10.21 at 6:05 am

Let’s talk interest rates. The U.S. Fed rate sets the tone for banks in the western world as we all know and there’s much speculation as to the Fed bumping it’s rate sooner than expected to fight inflation with a series of quarter point raises in the coming 2 years. Will this happen? Let’s look some history and peruse at a chart:

Looking at the historic Fed rate chart above, we see the quick rise in rates to +5% that shocked housing coupled with loose lending regs that kicked off millions of bankruptcies from bad loans triggering the GFC and 8 years of the Fed rate at zero that followed. Some might argue the Fed was a few years too late before raising rates before raising rates through that period. I was one of them, but 8 years at zero is what we got.

If there was a time to lower 25 year mortgage terms to 20 in Canada, 2014 to 2016 would have been it. When Trudeau came into power, it should have been done then. This would have kept housing valuations in Canada to some degree in check more than it is now.

Our Fed government could have also raised CMHC approved down payments to at least 10% at any time from 2016 on. Neither happened and now we have a housing bubble in Canada thanks to current Federal inaction.

From 2016 to 2019, Fed rates rose to a whopping 2.5% even though the economy was performing well through a period of 40 year record low unemployment, record low corporate taxes and deregulation. Rates actually dropped in 2019 just before the election/pandemic with no real justification that I remember. Maybe I remember it differently, but I didn’t see a reason for the drop other than a looming presidential election.

March 2020 pandemic hits and the Fed rate predictably goes to zero with the Fed buying $4.5 trillion it’s own treasury bonds and MBS’s in less than 2 years. Was it 2 to 1 or 3:1, at least 3 trillion was rolled over treasury bonds and the rest in MBS’s in an effort to suppress U.S. mortgage rates.

Predictably, asset classes soared and the wealth effect juiced the markets with valuations that reflect bubbles in real estate, the stock market and coupons have nowhere to go but down in bonds (depending of course, on the type of bonds).

Fast forward to today. Inflation at 6.2% with markets expecting an increase. Unemployment at lowest level in 52 years. And the Fed talks about accelerated tapering as it’s answer to fight inflation with a raise coming “maybe in April or July”.

Let’s keep in mind that CB’s mantra over the last 10 years was “full employment and we raise rates” and “if inflation rises above 2… 2.5% over any meaningful duration, we’ll need to raise rates. Are the Fed’s words credible to it’s actions?

Employment at 40 year lows barely moved the needle, remember? Inflation at 6%, not transitory, maybe we’ll raise rates a quarter point in June instead of August 2022, this is the message from the Fed. (lets look at that chart again):

Markets are in a bubble, real estate in the U.S. is in a bubble, bond values have nowhere to go but down, what are they waiting for?

There are reasons. The #1 reason is the strength of the U.S. dollar. Contrary to what one would expect, the dollar has risen with the rise in inflation. Generally, inflation comes from a drop in currency and this hasn’t happened. CB’s raise rates to attract investment boosting their currency to fight inflation. The U.S. central bank doesn’t have to do so in this case as the DXY indicates, with the dollar rising 7% yoy and in the short term:

If the U.S. dollar continues to rise and it can considering what’s happening in China and Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, is there a need for the U.S. central bank to raise rates?

There is. They need a cushion for shocks like the next pandemic or war or a Chinese recession or whatever breaks domestically and they need to keep a lid on valuations or so one would think. But for the foreseeable future? Rates will remain low.

Governments can tame bubbles through regulations like they should have done in Canada since 2016 and should do now… but likely won’t so the prevailing logic is equities continue their nosebleed ascent since money really has few places to go for returns but its a nervous market right now and rightly so based on high valuations alone and war can roil the markets. The argument is strong to be heavily weighted in fixed income right now.

It seems obvious that the Fed isn’t interested in raising rates any time over the next few years much above 2, 2.5% if history is any indication. That’s where it hit “at the best of times”. Any old crisis comes along and it’s back to zero. Raise rates like they did in 06′? Shock would trigger another GFC. Employment at 40 year lows? the Fed still kept rates in the basement. Inflation at 6%? We might raise it a quarter point in 4 or 6 months instead of 8. CPI at 7% or higher? Maybe April.

Things can change of course. It’s going to take time, but China is the big question mark. We don’t know the timeline or severity of China’s real estate deflation on economics or what the end result will look like. We could see disruption with commodities and manufactured imports from China, but these are early days.

Same goes for a war breaking out between Russia and Ukraine and this could happen within weeks. It could be that Russia see’s China’s influence diminishing just like with what happened to Japan in the early 90’s and with the time of year decides now is the time. Should war happen, the markets would roil and fixed income should be a winner.

#57 Wrk.dover on 12.10.21 at 6:06 am

Dr. V.: Moncton is a nifty compact city. Too hot in summer, too awful in winter. Largest car show in Canada is about it for bragging rights. Best all around shopping for NB, it is the hub.

B: NS has all that you speak of in various small towns, even Halifax meets your price, but, it sounds like you have western connections. The annual or more often re-connection trip to friends and family makes this coast impractical for you just from that alone.

I left GTA then left the Golden Horseshoe in 79 as an underpaid financial refugee just like the peeps are doing now, for same pay, lower costs in Bunnypatch.

#58 westcdn on 12.10.21 at 6:19 am

I said to my daughters that something is worth what some else will pay. Bring it home and look to find. Whether I was a good parent…

#59 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.21 at 7:26 am

@#46 Sail Away
“Wasn’t that you, on a public forum? It doesn’t really matter, but THAT, for one, was clearly an erratic, unhinged and intolerant individual.”

+++
Nah.
That just Ponzie being his usual obnoxious, counter argumentative self.
It could be a a result of sampling all those vile Rutabaga recipes…..
Brings out the bile.

#60 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.21 at 7:35 am

The Rutabaga.
A bizarre hybrid between a cabbage and a turnip.
Embraced by the Austrian people as a national delicacy.
Untold generations of Austrians have spent countless hours “perfecting” recipe’s to make that hideously deformed, barley edible, lowly vegetable an internationally loved, favorite food.
The world shudders in horror.
At least Canada discovered a way to make tree sap a highly sought after delicacy.

#61 Mr Canada on 12.10.21 at 8:22 am

I was down in Florida this month (yes, its very safe) and socialized with some of the 1% of the crowd from Canada. While I am part of the top 15%, it’s interesting how all of them have already sold many of their non registered investments to trigger the 50% capital gains tax anticipating the rate will increase to 75%, yet promptly reinvested into those high performing investments and continue to do well this year.

#62 Derek on 12.10.21 at 9:07 am

Hello Garth .
The hottest Stocking stuffer this year is the Donald Trump toilet brush !

#63 Common Sense on 12.10.21 at 9:14 am

For APPL to have grown over 100x would put the purchase circa 2005…

I wish I thought to buy APPL then! I was too busy losing money on high fee mutual funds.

Dennis, keep the stock, retire a few years earlier than you planned, and pull out $200k per year until done. Pay your taxes. Be grateful for your lucky windfall.

#64 Dharma Bum on 12.10.21 at 9:30 am

#8 BlogDog123

I had two old doctors retire on me recently…These guys retired in their late 60s due to their declining health.
——————————————————————————————————–

Irony.

i·ro·ny

/ˈīrənē/

– a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

#65 Jesse on 12.10.21 at 10:05 am

What is up with all the recent hate against VBAL/VGRO, it’s a one stop ETF shop for a balanced portfolio. Do people really think it’s smarter to chase stocks? Maybe 1 in 100 will succeed. MAW104 is maybe the only other mutual fund I would trust, however it’s MER is fairly high ~ 1%

#66 Gimme gimme on 12.10.21 at 10:22 am

CTV News Montreal: Largest jump in food prices in a decade forecasted for 2022.

But have faith. Krystia is reiterating the Trudeau 2% inflation target while the reality is 20%. Nothing is as it seems with Justin guiding us. If you think things are going for a crap now, just wait, it’s about to get worse.

#67 IHCTD9 on 12.10.21 at 10:22 am

#47 B on 12.09.21 at 10:29 pm
#19 Wrk.dover on 12.09.21 at 5:30 pm
#7 B on 12.09.21 at 4:26 pm
_________________________

100% Hinges on what you plan to do there.

———-

____

There’s gotta be a bazillion places in Canada where you can do all that and get a house for 600K.

A couple hours north of the 401 right across southern Ontario is an outdoors mecca, and 600K is good to go for a decent house. Bring bug spray and enough money to sustain your lifestyle.

#68 Quintilian on 12.10.21 at 10:22 am

#56 Diamond Dog:

” Employment at 40 year lows? the Fed still kept rates in the basement. Inflation at 6%? We might raise it a quarter point in 4 or 6 months instead of 8. CPI at 7% or higher? Maybe April.”

It’s so out of whack that humpty dumpty cannot be put together again.

Expect a flattening yield curve.

#69 IHCTD9 on 12.10.21 at 10:41 am

#30 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 7:18 pm

__

Nah, people just love trucks. Nice smooth roads out my way and it’s pick up truck central. The parking lot here at work contains maybe 3-4 non truck vehicles.

Trucks blow cars away on every front – and they get great fuel mileage too if you want them to. Now you can even get an electric F150. GM unveils their electric Silverado next month in Vegas.

#70 Sail Away on 12.10.21 at 10:44 am

#59 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.21 at 7:26 am

That just Ponzie being his usual obnoxious, counter argumentative self.

It could be a a result of sampling all those vile Rutabaga recipes…..

——–

It wasn’t Ponz. Another wingnut entirely.

I must admit great affection for rutabaga. It adds that je ne sais quoi to dishes like Cornish pasties and Shepherd’s pie, and also delicious on its own with butter and salt. And it grows well in northern climes. My bros and I have harvested truckloads of rutabaga. Muddy job.

#71 Old Active on 12.10.21 at 10:52 am

Dear Dr. Garth,

Latest Ontario Covid Case numbers put fully vaccinated at 718 and unvaccinated at 613 – mostly probably children who couldn’t be vaccinated and in large part are still not. 96 mysterious unknown status people too.

How is that Covid Passport working or making any sense at all still?

So 718 cases from 80% of the population and 613 from 20%? How much more evidence do you need that the vax works? – Garth

#72 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.10.21 at 10:57 am

#62 Derek on 12.10.21 at 9:07 am
Hello Garth .
The hottest Stocking stuffer this year is the Donald Trump toilet brush !
————————-
Because of all the flooding, this year I’ll be giving plungers for x-mas.
I’ll ask CEF to autograph them.
He’s the Gretzky of Plumbers.

#73 Shawn Allen on 12.10.21 at 11:07 am

VBAL / VGRO

#65 Jesse on 12.10.21 at 10:05 am

*******************************
Your point is a great one especially when it comes to stock picking.

There has been an argument that VBAL has too much in bonds at 40% with an average term of ten years. That will be a drag if interest rates rise as expected.

A suggestion was use VEQT and use other ETFs or even cash and GICs for the fixed part. Can mix in a rate reset PREF and a REIT if desired although that is not as safe as either cash, GICs or a short bond fund. I also like the idea of a bit of convertible debt with the ETF CVD. But again that is riskier. Can reduce the VEQT to say 50% to make up for the extra risk in the safe stuff if going that route.

#74 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.10.21 at 11:19 am

69 IHCTD9 on 12.10.21 at 10:41 am
#30 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 7:18 pm

__

———————
———————-
That’s true in certain parts of Canada.
I had to rent a car once in Langley B.C, where the new immigrants love trucks.
The rental place only had American crap, muscle cars, trucks and a “Cheap” Cherokee.
I needed a car, quick. So, reluctantly, I took the Jeep.
All I can say: It drove like a truck, and I could virtually see the needle on the gas gauge move.
Never again

#75 Bitcoiner on 12.10.21 at 11:46 am

Keep the Apple stock and borrow against it.

#76 B-North on 12.10.21 at 11:53 am

#48 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 10:57 pm
#47 B on 12.09.21 at 10:29 pm

———

In BC: Williams Lake, 100 Mile House, Clinton, Logan Lake, 108 Mile Ranch.
____
That’s got to be a cruel joke. Those are terribly small towns with all kinds of socio-economic, weather, and isolation issues.

Personally I recommend the North Okanagan/Shuswap:
Enderby, Sicamous, Salmon Arm, Blind Bay, Sorrento, Chase. Great lakes, great mountain/trail access, great ski hills and all under 45 minutes to bigger centers for healthcare and shopping needs.

#77 James on 12.10.21 at 11:56 am

#69 IHCTD9 on 12.10.21 at 10:41 am

#30 Nonplused on 12.09.21 at 7:18 pm

__

___________________________________________
Has anyone else noticed that cars are a dying bread lately. Its all pickup and SUVs out there. I myself drive and SUV for the practicality of it but would love to just drive a car again and I don’t mean a Porsche just a nice regular four door car that is well made.

#78 Dr V on 12.10.21 at 11:58 am

51 satori – depending on your destination and purpose, ferries are not the only option. And why live on an island if your main priority is getting off the island?

Saskatchewan works for Brock Lesnar. Who am I to argue?

B’s idea of Bragg creek might check all the boxes.

Sailo likes the central interior of BC. Plusses and minuses. Ditto the east coast.

#79 BillyBob on 12.10.21 at 12:03 pm

The shots at Tesla are pretty amusing. People who can’t afford them, have never driven one, and missed the boat on TSLA. A perfect setup for petty jealousy and bitterness that comes through loud and clear. Don’t like them? Fine. But why be triggered by their undeniable popularity or stock success? No one is forcing anyone to buy one. It would like coming on here and railing against a specific make of bicycle or something. Weird.

Sure, it’s basically an overpriced golf cart. But it actually makes some sense in a province with the geographic advantage of plentiful hydroelectric power. It’s ironic said wingnut from Victoria is STILL chirping away, given the natural fit of EV’s, virtue signalling, and recent gasoline rationing and lineups in that locale. Ah well. Envy is the destroyer of logic, I suppose.

Was using my Tećka app (CZ’s implementation of the EU Digital COVID Certificate) today to attend a Christmas symphony and it got me idly thinking…how’s that national vaccine passport coming along for Canada? I’m mildly curious how the EU (27 countries, 450 million people) was able to roll theirs out what, last June/July? While Canada (1 country, ragtag collection of provinces/territories, 38 million people) can’t quite figure it out yet.

Is it a lack of government Covid spending do you think?

#80 Harvard study in defense of vaccines on 12.10.21 at 1:04 pm

At the country-level, there appears to be no discernable relationship between percentage of population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases in the last 7 days (Fig. 1). In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people.

#81 the Awakened One on 12.10.21 at 1:09 pm

Hmm… I’m a bit worried about this insidious and frequent appearance of feline characters on here!

Last time (about 2019) Garth posted a cat photo, the market tanked almost 30%!

We have seen 2 cat pics here in a row last few days… Dog knows whazzat means…

#82 yvr_lurker on 12.10.21 at 1:12 pm

B 45

Thanks, ya we like outdoorsy stuff.

———————–

I love that area close to Turner Valley and have in-laws in Okotoks. Look what you can get for under 600K in Okotoks

Close enough to Calgary, and close to Turner valley and Kananaskis where you can go hiking in the summer without the crowds and endless tour buses of Banff and Jasper.

This area is high on my list (and my wife’s) on where to retire to when we exit from YVR.

#83 Defeat on all fronts on 12.10.21 at 2:37 pm

The vax works for your brain only….lmao

#84 Sail Away on 12.10.21 at 2:41 pm

#76 B-North on 12.10.21 at 11:53 am
#48 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 10:57 pm
#47 B on 12.09.21 at 10:29 pm

——-

In BC: Williams Lake, 100 Mile House, Clinton, Logan Lake, 108 Mile Ranch.

——-

——-

A man and his wife were walking through town one day when they met a couple they didn’t know.

The strangers said, ‘We’re thinking of relocating, and really want to be around nice people. This seems like a nice place.’
The wife asked, ‘How do you find people where you live?’
The man said, ‘Oh, they’re total jerks. Always looking out for themselves, complaining, arguing, unwilling to help. We can’t wait to get away.’
The wife said, ‘You’ll find people here are pretty much the same.’

A little later, they met another couple with the same goal.
When this couple was asked about folks where they currently lived, they said, ‘Oh, everybody is so nice. Always willing to help, friendly, cheerful. It’s just wonderful.’
The wife said, ‘You’ll find people here are pretty much the same.’

#85 Ministry of vaccines truth on 12.10.21 at 2:42 pm

#80 Harvard study in defense of vaccines….actually says that the number of cases is much higher in the most vaccinated countries…

DELETED (Anti-vax)

#86 R on 12.10.21 at 2:42 pm

Tesla beats a Bugatti. Please post video showing a Hyundia beating a Bugatti.

#87 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.21 at 3:09 pm

@#79 Billy Bob.
“Is it a lack of government Covid spending do you think?”

++++

Dont give the incompetent idiots in charge…..ideas.

#88 DON on 12.10.21 at 3:09 pm

@BillyBob

*************

BC has lots of wind storms. Power outages. More extreme storms being experienced and damage to vital infrastructure etc.

Out of power, on fuel rations better have wood heat.

I will buy an EV once the bugs get worked out. I prefer not to be a crash test dummy due to branding. Still have questions about the batteries right down to mining the elements. Apparently mining lithium takes alot of water. Unfortunately there is not much water near some of the largest deposits. Not impossible. And as more EVs get on the road Hydro prices will increase that you can count on. Just replacing gas taxes for higher electric ones.

#89 Faron on 12.10.21 at 3:33 pm

#82 yvr_lurker on 12.10.21 at 1:12 pm

B 45

I’ll throw my vote in for the Rocky Mountain front ranges. Stunningly beautiful. Nice climate (IMO).

#90 Tom Jones on 12.10.21 at 3:40 pm

Don’t sell your Apple stock. If you’re a valued brokerage client, you can borrow against at < 1.50%. The tax-bill you will incur is completely unnecessary unless you desperately need the funds.

Incur debt. Wait for a higher tax rate. Good thinking. – Garth

#91 Faron on 12.10.21 at 3:41 pm

#79 BillyBob on 12.10.21 at 12:03 pm

Bru, BC “deserves” (get it?) better than Teslas (and EVs that cost half the price are abundant even if they also look extremely silly). Furthermore, there’s nothing “environmental” about ghosting anyone off the line regardless of fuel source.

While you are here BillyBob (I’ve missed you so) does the Czech republic “deserve” the rampant COVID outbreaks it currently has? Just curious how that fits into your mangled ethical framework? Thx.

#92 Faron on 12.10.21 at 3:51 pm

#46 Sail Away on 12.09.21 at 10:23 pm

Hmmm, the public tearing down inanimate statues that are in the public domain while causing zero bodily harm to actual living humans… versus all-out legislative blocking of the basic human rights of living humans as occurs in the SD leg. But don’t take my word for it, here’s some documentation of intolerance that harms living people:

https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/profile_state/SD (arrived at by, on a hunch, googling “south dakota conversion therapy”)

But, not surprising coming from someone (i.e. Sail Away) who says dumb hand-wavey stuff about how strange it is that we value human life as much as we do these days.

And while I have you, how’s that COVID tally comparison between the US and Canada working out? Yeah, you nailed that one about as perfectly as you nailed that miners trade back in August. J O K E.

#93 Faron on 12.10.21 at 4:21 pm

Here’s another take on the tolerant utopia that is South Dakota. You are extremely dogged in your attempts to gaslight in the face of, you know, facts.

TL;DR: Ranked as “high priority to achieve basic equality” (emphasis mine). Yes, just basic. Just a fundamental global standard that denotes ability for people to live unobstructed lives. Amazing. Of course you want to live in SD.

#94 westcdn on 12.10.21 at 4:32 pm

One of my favorite movies – Doctor Strangelove. Slim Pickens telling his men about the fun their survival kit would provide them in Vegas. This will have to do: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=slim+pickens+actor+strangelove&docid=608030626129253529&mid=BC1EA705759B90614A8BBC1EA705759B90614A8B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

#95 Sail Away on 12.10.21 at 5:23 pm

#93 Faron on 12.10.21 at 4:21 pm

Here’s another take on the tolerant utopia that is South Dakota.

——-

Yes, agreed, it is sort of a tolerant utopia.

Last time I visited, we watched a male bison trying for [ahem] relations with another male bison. Everyone seemed fine with it, even cheering the big fella. No judgement.

It may have been harassment, though. Hard to say.

#96 Windsurfer on 12.10.21 at 8:12 pm

I don’t know if it has been mentioned here but the property he owns [APPLE] is a U.S. domiciled entity. Thus the IRS will want to know if this Canadian’s U.S. property exceeds $100,000 in value. If so, and if he has not previously disclosed this, then he is in for another tax shock when the U.S. demands its share. Can anyone confirm this?

#97 westcdn on 12.10.21 at 8:39 pm

Sail Away – I read what what you say. We have a lot in common thought it may not appear readily. I am not afraid to cover your back. I push back yet I think we would do do well in a partnership. Could be a dream but I am willing to give it a try and we get rich in the process.

#98 Sail Away on 12.10.21 at 9:45 pm

#96 Windsurfer on 12.10.21 at 8:12 pm

———

I can confirm this will not be the case for his Apple stock. Exactly as Garth notes, nothing further. Per US/Can tax treaty.

#99 Glen Margaret on 12.11.21 at 7:34 am

As for items in the stores here in Simcoe County Ontario. We bought a microwave last week.
The model we selected was advertised at a sale price at Crappy Tire and at the Brick, but neither store had it in stock. Not only the model we wanted, they had no stock.
Got it delivered from Amazon 24 hours after ordering. The model we wanted, at the sale price.