Freedom

The big flag went up on the wee bank yesterday.

Iain and Chris came to volunteer their time hoisting it, which involved replacing the brackets and eyes ripped out on Canada Day. This flag is seven-and-a-half by fifteen feet. It’s diminutive compared with the Peace Tower behemoth that hung in its place before the kiddos destroyed it, but it’s vibrant. Shockingly red. Crispy white. Elemental and elegant.

There were a few  ‘Attaboys” and high fives from the street as they placed it. Last night I saw the local Facebook page noted the event, and comments were supportive. “Thank you for putting up the flag,” wrote Angus. “I am still ashamed of what people did to your flag.” Others agreed. Likes. Little heart emojis. Social media hugs.

Four months ago the same board was soaked in anti-Garth vitriol. The Cancel Canada Day thugs painted me as a jingoistic, out-of-touch, tone deaf, racist, misogynist, old pale settler. The flag disappeared. The Town looked the other way. The cops were stymied.

Now this is not about a piece of cloth. Nor my hurt feelings. My big-boy pants are on. Rather, this post is about freedom.

The flag (a replacement, gifted by my work colleagues in Toronto) went up for Remembrance Day. If nothing else, that day means liberty and the right to freely believe anything. A million Canadians went into conflict to quell totalitarianism, aggression and oppression. Symbolic of enemy behavior then was the trashing of ethnic neighbourhoods and the burning of books. In a place where freedom is being extinguished, everyone is told to hold the same values and beliefs. If not, expect violence and shaming.

We know society is polarizing again. From Trump to BLM to vaccines and reconciliation activists, conflict is everywhere. Extremism, too. Washington faced a bloody insurrection in January. In Canada a dozen churches were torched during the summer. Railroads blockaded. The government looked the other way.

We should not.

For years I drove past a small country cenotaph on the side of a regional road. A young stone soldier kept watch forever over cows and corn. It was not until I was elected as an MP and asked to lay a wreath for Canada on November the 11th that I walked up to that old and ignored monument. You have to come close to make out a long list of names under the lichen. Kids. Sons. Shipped off to war. In a small rural community it’s hard to imagine the yawning gap left in families and community when the boys did not return to plant, harvest and grow.

That moment has never left me. So many people doing extraordinary things. They deserve at least a day a year. The nation and society they protected is now ours to safeguard.

So never let anyone tell you your views cannot be held or displayed in the country that all those young people fought for. Nobody has the right to cancel your Canada Day, tell you “silence is violence” or call you a settler. Divisions based on skin colour, gender, sexual preference, pronouns or whatever your great-grandfather did take us back, not forward.

It’s only a flag. They are only monuments. Just names etched on old stones. I get it. The young activists think everyone born before 1990 knows nothing of struggling for justice, fairness, equality and tolerance. This week they seem to have flitted to a new cause.

So we can wear our poppies, lay our wreaths, fly our flags and think of the kids who saved us.

About the top picture: “In 1940, Pal became the regimental mascot of the RCAF base in Gander, Newfoundland. The soldiers renamed him ‘Gander’ and he joined the 1st Battalion of Royal Rifles of Canada. He shipped out with the regiment in 1941 to help defend Hong Kong from the Japanese and at that time was bestowed the rank of Sergeant. The fight began on December 8th. Thrice Gander charged the enemy, growling and biting at their heels. At night his black coat made him impossible to see, fierce to encounter. On December 19th, just after midnight, the Battle of Lye Mun broke out. Gander fought off the Japanese, until a grenade was thrown near a group of injured Canadians. Knowing what was about to happen, he picked it up and ran. The grenade exploded. Gander was killed. In doing so he had saved the lives of the seven soldiers.”

#1 More than a tad of green blood on 11.10.21 at 12:48 pm

Hear, Hear

#2 short horses on 11.10.21 at 12:49 pm

It’s a lovely flag, Garth, and a touching blog entry today. Gander sounds like a truly amazing dog.

#3 Oakville Rocks! on 11.10.21 at 12:54 pm

Well said Garth. Your flag looks like it has found a good home.

Thanks to all who risked their lives or gave their lives for Canada’s enduring freedom.

#4 tkid on 11.10.21 at 12:56 pm

I raise a glass to Gander and toast his memory and the memory of all who have served this glorious country, Canada.

#5 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 1:10 pm

Thank you Garth for not letting the dregs, thugs, bullies and ne’er-do-wells of humanity diminish the ultimate sacrifice made by generations of Canadians for Democracy.

Your watershed moment was a small country cenotaph.

Mine a NE Italian farmhouse at age 6.

A 10 walk from my Father’s farmhouse. Where he had moved a downed American Airman that he’d had been hiding for weeks. Later discovered by the SS which summarily executed 3 generations of men, from the Grandfather to the Grandsons, in front of 3 generations of women and children.

He said if it were for a week, you would not be standing here.

No cenotaph but that farmhouse will always live in my memory.

—————

25,890 Canadians
358,295-376,637 Allies

Thanks are not enough and je me souviens – immemorial.

#6 jarjarthinks on 11.10.21 at 1:12 pm

#7 CL on 11.10.21 at 1:20 pm

I’ve been to many WWI and WWII areas and it was sobering to be there imagining what it was like. Touring cemeteries filled with sacrificed lives for which people today have no appreciation for.

I also had the privilege to go to the Menin Gate in Ypers in Belgium and experienced the Last Post ceremony that they have performed every single day since the end of WWI out of respect for the sacrifices made. And it is packed every single night. Every square inch of those walls are covered in names of missing soldiers. I also never forgot this. It was incredibly moving and I am so glad I had this experience. Even watching it on YouTube swells my eyes.

An elderly friend has an uncle buried in Tyne Cot Cemetery and, at the time in 2010, the Passchendaele museum was building a database of soldiers that served. She asked if I would take an information package and deliver it to them when I was there. Which, I did. I also visited his grave and took pictures for her. He is now in that database to be seen for his sacrifice. Another experience I will never forget. Both of my grandfathers served in WWII. I saw and experienced the damage done physically and mentally from the war. But I try to see through their eyes and understand the demons.

Everyday is Remembrance Day in Ypres. I wish we also had a Menin Gate and country pride to do the same.

#8 Kyle Glover on 11.10.21 at 1:25 pm

Happy Remembrance day to all! Thanks Garth!

#9 Mean Gene on 11.10.21 at 1:26 pm

They were called the Greatest Generation for a reason

#10 DON on 11.10.21 at 1:27 pm

To the folks that fought on our behalf. Thank you for putting your lives on hold to ensure our present freedoms. I will never forget.

Thank you is not enough. Be well heroes!

#11 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 1:28 pm

It’s a nice gesture, but sad, Garth.

A small flag like that doesn’t have the same cachet.

Allow a GoFundMe to buy a proper large flag.

#12 just a dude on 11.10.21 at 1:31 pm

Thank you, Garth. Excellent and beautifully written post.

Love this country and its incredibly diverse people. Will always be grateful to the many who have fought for the great many freedoms and privileges we all benefit from. These must always be cherished.

#13 Editrix on 11.10.21 at 1:34 pm

Over the last two years I’ve done a lot of research into some of the boys who didn’t return after the Second World War. It’s astounding when you think of the men, the bomber crews as an example. The average age was about 22 and only 25% completed a tour of duty.

It is mind boggling to think of the 22 year olds today and whether they would or could sign up and pull off what their great grandfathers’ generation did.

Keep fighting the good fight, Garth.

#14 James on 11.10.21 at 1:35 pm

Thank you for always remembering our vets Garth and the sacrifices they made so we can live free.

#15 George on 11.10.21 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for raising the flag yet again. This country’s freedom was bought with the blood of men, we should not ever forget that.

#16 Barry on 11.10.21 at 1:41 pm

13 minute video about Sergeant Gander

#17 D.D. Corkum on 11.10.21 at 1:43 pm

We will remember them. Amen.

#18 Don Cherry on 11.10.21 at 1:48 pm

Again Turner, what the hell is wrong with the dog? Why isn’t it wearing a poppy? No respect?

You puppies that come here… whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy!

#19 Habitt on 11.10.21 at 1:52 pm

Thank you for standing tall and flying our flag. So many sacrifices by so many for us. Those that served and are still serving deserve respect all year. Thank you so much Garth for the post.

#20 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 1:57 pm

#11 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 1:28 pm
It’s a nice gesture, but sad, Garth.

A small flag like that doesn’t have the same cachet.

Allow a GoFundMe to buy a proper large flag.
————————
Typical American attitude.
It’s the thought that counts, my friend.
Maybe you could donate the US 4,200 COVID cheque.
Would be a nice gesture to your adopted home, that for some strange reason let you in.
Lest we Forget!

#21 kommykim on 11.10.21 at 2:00 pm

What the heck is our central bank talking about when Tiff Macklem says that creating an inclusive recovery is fundamental to the central bank’s role in helping to manage the economy?
WTF does that even mean? Will there now be a spot on your loan application for your “race”? Or do they simply want to virtue signal by ensuring that the skin tone of the next crop of central bankers is a bit darker than usual?

#22 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 2:05 pm

Every time I go to the Amalfi Coast I always make sure that I end up in the town of Amalfi.

From there I always take the slow ferry to Salerno so I have time to ponder what Allied soldiers about to make a landing there would have thought – most likely Holy Hell is about to be reigned down upon us.

Why I make that pilgrimage to honor them every time I go there.

This is what they would have seen about to land:

They were almost repulsed. Sitting ducks. How they fought their way out of that I’ll never understand, but they did.

——————

That takes some kind of bravery.

To me the Canadian Flag is a reminder of that bravery.

#23 Joseph R on 11.10.21 at 2:07 pm

Some more detailed information on and pictures of Gander, the dog, in the post:

#24 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 2:09 pm

#25 Faron on 11.10.21 at 2:09 pm

Garth, this is a great post as always and the strong presence of remembrance day in Canada is an important legacy. There are multiple generations of war veterans in my family and friends (WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Gulf War II, Afghanistan) and remembering their and others’ service is important to me (speaking about US Veterans day).

Your post is slightly marred by an inaccuracy:

This is simply untrue. The church fires were investigated by the RCMP, a government org. JT (eventually) spoke out against the blockades. The RCMP was very active with the blockades. This is not “looking the other way”.

You have a background in journalism and, although this can only be seen as an op-ed, fact is important when positioning your stance around various issues. By misleading with quotes like the above, you damage your position if not help spawn misinformation. Unfortunately, misinformation is new war we are fighting against “totalitarianism, aggression and oppression.”

I understand that you are striking a balance between convincing rhetoric and bland reporting, but please keep in mind that by keeping your facts straight you can do your part to prevent the needless growth of misinformation and still write an impactful piece.

Please link to evidence of any individuals charged for the above actions. – Garth

#26 Bill Grable on 11.10.21 at 2:12 pm

Mr. Turner – today’s emotional and wonderful post, reduced me to rubble. My Dad spent 6 horrid War years on a Corvette, on the North Atlantic.

I can’t imagine what so many went through.

When I got to the note about Gander – wow.

Be well.
Thank you for all you do.

#27 westcdn on 11.10.21 at 2:17 pm

I have to be proud of my ancestors. My Metis grandfather chose to settle 160 acres of scrubland as part of the Treaty 7 deal. In 1905, Saskatchewan was sold and he was at the end of the line, He did not want to live on a reserve though free food and schooling was promised. The schooling was a disaster. Many reasons but lack of money and the Churches choice to keep the students in remote isolation was a major facture in failure and needless deaths.

My uncle Fred. He rose to be a sergeant of a team of mainly Saskatchewan Metis. He was one. He felt his job was to keep his men alive. They were mean to SS troops. Probably something to do with the Caan incident. The 16 year old German paratroopers were tough.

Fred was tough. His squad were looters. He would tell his men not to grab without thinking. The Germans were good at booby-trapping. He brought them home.

#28 Mattl on 11.10.21 at 2:18 pm

Looks great!

#29 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 2:20 pm

#25 Faron

Only you can nitpick what was a beautifully written Blog today.

Only you can find a way to tumult a unanimous sentiment by Commenters here of tribute to Garth and the Very Brave that came before us.

And only you can have the balls to absolve yourself by kin that came before you.

You are the Supreme Being of:

Non sequitur.

A killjoy, malcontent and anything else Sail Away will add.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Examine & right your conscience, it is in need.

#30 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 2:24 pm

#20 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 1:57 pm
#11 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 1:28 pm

It’s a nice gesture, but sad, Garth.

A small flag like that doesn’t have the same cachet.

Allow a GoFundMe to buy a proper large flag.

——-

Typical American attitude.
It’s the thought that counts, my friend.
Maybe you could donate the US 4,200 COVID cheque.
Lest we Forget!

——-

A collective effort allows everyone to participate and take ownership. Much better.

Besides, I might need that money.

#31 Cancel Canada Day on 11.10.21 at 2:26 pm

“This doesn’t mean we all must conform. That’s not freedom. Anyone can march in the street, protest in front of a politician’s office, carry banners or run for elected office. Dissent is critical to liberty. We should never stop questioning the status quo nor pushing for a better outcome. People in Nazi Germany didn’t get that choice, just as heads are currently being busted in Hong Kong and Kabul.

So never let anyone tell you your views cannot be held or displayed in the country that all those young people fought for.”

Thank you.

I agree completely with this. I am not a thug. I want freedom, fairness and equality for all.

#32 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 2:27 pm

@#25 Faron

Self appointed editor now are we?

Time for your own blog?

#33 George S on 11.10.21 at 2:31 pm

Thank you.

Probably the best Remembrance Day editorial of all time.

#34 Axehead on 11.10.21 at 2:31 pm

DELETED (Anti-vax)

#35 604Sam on 11.10.21 at 2:34 pm

Special thanks to Gander and all the other Canadian troops.

#36 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 2:34 pm

The worst thing this government would ever do to these thugs is slap them with a wet noodle. They have basically condoned the offenses by weak or no actions. The only hope is that these wokesters have their usual gnat attention span and move on to other earth shattering causes.

Well done Garth! “Lest we forget”

#37 Habitt on 11.10.21 at 2:43 pm

Garth your response to 30 Faron was spot on. What a knob.

#38 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 2:46 pm

#29 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 2:20 pm
#25 Faron

Only you [Faron] can nitpick what was a beautifully written Blog today.

You are the Supreme Being of:

Non sequitur.

A killjoy, malcontent and anything else Sail Away will add.

——-

Nothing here. Faron has proven time and again that he is fantastic at digging his own hole.

Go F!

#39 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 2:49 pm

#31 Cancel Canada Day

Thuggery and maleficence takes many forms.

One of them is to cancel a once a year celebration for one of the best countries on the face of Planet Earth to live in.

Privilege. Thanksgiving. A Cornucopia.

And today we ponder at the sacrifice made on behalf of that beautiful notion called:

Canada.

As you will have read, I owe her my life and I owe her my continued well being.

The past cannot be undone said Justin’s Father, he was correct. If everyone were to try and undo historical wrongs, perceived, manufactured or accepted, the World would never progress to better itself.

Standstill. Dystopia. Paralysis.

Fahrenheit 451.

Pity Junior Justin and his acolytes ate the book covers.

#40 truefacts on 11.10.21 at 2:50 pm

There are some things you believe that I vehemently disagree with, but here, I could not agree more.

Thank you for taking a stand.

**High fives and R-E-S-P-E-C-T**

#41 dave on 11.10.21 at 2:50 pm

Canada has lost its way, the government has totally screwed the middle and lower class.

Real Estate is it at all time highs. $2M for a crack house in Vancouver. If and when after 20 years there will be a correction…it will be 10 to 15%. So $1.8M for your crack house – what a bargain.

Every person I know that have used HELOC to purchase a second and third property is miles ahead. Real Estate is the bedrock of this country, there will be NO major correction – our Government will not allow it

#42 yvr_lurker on 11.10.21 at 2:59 pm

Good post. I hope that you have video security on that flag at nightime. In the UK, I hope that Churchill’s statue is protected on the 11th as it has been defaced many times over the past few years. His replica monument in Edmonton was also defaced with red paint in the summer. Shame. Without his leadership at the start of WWII it would likely have turned out differently. For all his faults, I have no respect for our citizens or newcomers to this country who choose to ignore his vital role in WWII and who only focus on villifying him for holding onto colonialism in India. He was a man of his time.

#43 Cancel Culture is dangerous on 11.10.21 at 3:03 pm

Pretty soon the woke, cancel culture will cancel Remembrance Day, Canada, Canada as a country. wake up Canadians.

#44 Faron on 11.10.21 at 3:07 pm

#29 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 2:20 pm

Wow, complain about my comment and then cite Bradbury’s near-classic on censorship shortly thereafter. You outdid yourself there DV.

#38 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 2:46 pm
#32 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 2:27 pm

IT’S A COMMENTS SECTION! Sorry if I don’t adhere to the unadulterated rah rah jingoism of the comments section. Such blindness is highly destructive.

I admire Garth for persevering here. He has every right. That doesn’t mean that everything he does is right for everyone. Please attempt to see why Garth’s actions (however much I agree or disagree with them) are commendable and why your whining about the issue I raised is just… the whining of mewling blind supplicants. Jeepers.

#45 Faron on 11.10.21 at 3:11 pm

Church burnings:

Rail:

#46 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 3:15 pm

#44 Faron on 11.10.21 at 3:07 pm

——-

The all caps are a nice touch. They indicate your strong belief that this is a comments section.

#47 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 3:16 pm

#44 Faron

As I read it, the only mewl here would be you.

Ego, self-adoring perfection that not even the Great Outdoors can contain, The Universe?

Nitpick —> Admire Garth.

You don’t get a pass on a somber day of Remembrance, not even for the weak Mea Culpa you proffer.

#48 Palpha on 11.10.21 at 3:17 pm

Thank you for raising the flag. A few years ago my family was in Normandy. It was a beautiful sunny day. My children were running around on the D day beaches enjoying the freedom that so many had died for. We walked around the cemetery later that day and I will never forget that. The date 6 th June 1944 was engraved on the vast majority of headstones.

#49 First Nations on 11.10.21 at 3:19 pm

I guess you guys missed that post that the fight over Treaties violations/breach/nullification is inching through the courts and the dominoes are starting to fall.

I wonder if Canada will survive “as-is” until 2030?

Actually, I wonder if it survives until 2025.

Could Canadian flag be joining the Confederate flag soon?

Crown broke 1850 land treaties with First Nations, Ontario Court of Appeal rules

Ontario’s highest court has ruled that the Crown violated the terms of treaties from 1850 by capping annual payments at a few dollars per person to Indigenous peoples who ceded a vast area of the northern part of the province.

The Ontario Court of Appeal ordered a yet-to-be determined amount of compensation that could be in the billions of dollars, and that could come from Ontario, the federal government, or both.

#50 Faron on 11.10.21 at 3:21 pm

#36 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 2:34 pm

BS. They are in the court system that is as likely as not to be harsh as is true in any case. You live in a country with a fairly effective justice system.

wokesters have their usual gnat attention span

Seems you lack the attention span. Timber blockades in the 1990s, timber blockades today. FN issues are growing in prominence, but have been around for decades/centuries.

I recognize my role in distracting from the remembrance day messages, so will not comment further other than to rebut.

#51 Flop… on 11.10.21 at 3:23 pm

You never know, one of the goons that took off with your flag on Canada Day might walk by the new flag, and it might remind them to give you back your old one on Remembrance Day.

Even thief’s remember…

#52 Immigrant man on 11.10.21 at 3:34 pm

Garth got a dog for every occasion and that is one hell of a dog! I think not many people have the reflexes and presence of mind to do what the dog did.

To this day I find it amazing and almost unbelievable that Canadians travelled half across the world to fight in what could have been easily dismissed as “not my problem, man”. But they faced the chaos and helped liberate Europe. Now *that* is a strong foundation for a nation. You can’t take that away. I will of course never fully understand what my grandfather who enlisted at 17 (faked his age) to fight the Nazis went through. Or what my great-grandfather (other side) went through dying in the first week of war. But they had no choice, they had to fight. These Canadian boys *didn’t*, but it was the right thing to do – and they did. Mind-blowing. That is one strong foundation for a nation.

#53 VladTor on 11.10.21 at 3:34 pm

Garth …before the kiddos destroyed it

***********
Where was police? Desecration of the national flag is a crime in any country. You have to sue the police for inaction. Your silence will encourage such actions.

If you have vandals photos from security cameras – pass them to police.

And by the way vandals attacked private property.

In Russia, national flag vandals would be immediately brought to justice.

#54 Ed on 11.10.21 at 3:35 pm

Dad joined up at 17…was in the invasion of Sicily,liberation of Holland and pure hell in between.

I will never forget

#55 Dogman01 on 11.10.21 at 3:35 pm

Meanwhile…our publicly funded propaganda ministry seeks to move the Overton window bit by bit, that if the end is Climate Activism…the means is justified.

#56 Trojan House on 11.10.21 at 3:36 pm

I’ve visited many memorials across Europe including Vimy, Tyne Cot, Dieppe, Juno Beach, the Menin Gate and many others much smaller. All amazing to visit, especially Vimy. Every Canadian should get to at least one of these places in their lifetime.

#57 Soviet Capitalist on 11.10.21 at 3:41 pm

Well said, Garth!

#58 VladTor on 11.10.21 at 3:42 pm

By the way, you need to remember that this was not an ordinary flag – it was a flag from the parliamentary hill.

This is a serious offense – the destruction of the flag from the parliamentary hill, even if it does not fly over parliament now.

#59 Sleepless in Settle on 11.10.21 at 3:42 pm

But that’s the correct word Garth. We are settlers, or immigrants granted entry into the land by settlers who, if you look into the treaties, did some sneaky stuff.

The history books say so too.

So do official websites.

Oh, yes…sometimes they’re called explorers.

But….what are we exploring exactly? The native’s land?

The colony of New France was claimed in 1534 with permanent settlements beginning in 1608.

It’s the opener to the anthem for crying out loud!

O Canada!
Our home and native land!

How much clearer can it be?

#60 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 11.10.21 at 3:43 pm

Lest we Forget

Dogs are great
beer is good
We’d all be speaking a different language today if things hadn’t turned out

#61 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 3:44 pm

#45 Faron on 11.10.21 at 3:21 pm

Your endless apologizing for these fools is sad and pathetic. You’re right, enough said. Move on.

#62 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 3:46 pm

@#44 Faron
” Such blindness is highly destructive.”

+++
So is the unadulterated pompous political correctness of the Wokefully blind.

#63 Winterpeg on 11.10.21 at 3:47 pm

A wonderful tribute to our soldiers and freedom. Also a dog soldier story! Great and fitting work.

#64 Brett in Calgary on 11.10.21 at 3:52 pm

Rest in peace granddad.

#65 Leichendiener on 11.10.21 at 3:56 pm

My uncle went in on D Day. There was an English officer at the back of the craft with a pistol with orders to shoot anyone who did not go forward. There was no need. Coming into the beach the landing craft next to them hit a mine and blew body parts into theirs. When the craft ground to a halt the ramp deployed. Everyone ran forward because they wanted to get the hell out of there. My German cousins opened up with buzz saws, rapid fire machine-guns. My uncle made it to the beach without getting his feet wet. He hit the sand and didn’t move. And then the horror began.

My other uncle didn’t come home. He was a D Day dodger.

They were all so young.

Thank you for flying the flag.

#66 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 3:57 pm

Off topic if you will permit me Garth.

From America.

Blue states are the problem.
Blue states are where the housing crisis is located.
Blue states are where the disparities in education funding are the most dramatic.
Blue states are the places where 10’s of thousands of homeless people are living on the street.
Blue states are the places where economic inequality is increasing most quickly in this country.

It is a situation where the Blue states are the problem.

————————-

Fox News? OAN? Newsmax?

Guess again. Try to contain yourselves Righty’s…

“Liberal Hypocrisy is Fueling American Inequality. Here’s How.”

If ever there were a Trump ’24 Campaign video, this would be it.

Oh ya, source:

— NYT Opinion

#67 Wrk.dover on 11.10.21 at 3:59 pm

#135 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 11:55 am
I had a cottage in PEI for about 7 years.
Building and property assessed at 85K
My “non resident – Come from Away” tax was $1700/year
My Uncle owned a 5 bedroom, 2500 sq ft house on 10 acres assed at 400k and his property taxes were $750.
_____________________________

The hidden bottom line is; you could have sold the cottage for multiples of what you did, had all future taxes been at Islander level for the next come from away carpet bagger.

The Island tax plan keeps resale values out of the stratosphere and down to Earth, successfully.
Maybe a young local family are enjoying the place now?
Maybe you can rent it from them the two weeks a year you need it. Would be a different set of maybes if it was in B.C. huh?

I wonder at which tax rate Mike Duffy’s party picks up the tab at for him. Or is that a Senate expense item?

#68 AntMan on 11.10.21 at 4:01 pm

Lest we forget.

#69 Ok, Doomer on 11.10.21 at 4:02 pm

The only way to humiliate those who would take our freedoms away is to use their own language against them.

For example, any person, regardless of origin can legitimately claim to be African (via Lucy and Olduvai gorge) and indigenous (as we all are indigenous to somewhere).

If a Social Justice Warrior questions it, you can then call them out on their racism.

It’s sad that we now live in a world where this even has to enter someone’s brain as a defence against the Dark Arts.

I miss the days of striving for the ideals of MLK. Life was simpler.

#70 Remember Remember on 11.10.21 at 4:09 pm

DELETED (Anti-vax)

#71 Ron Maclean on 11.10.21 at 4:10 pm

#18 Don Cherry on 11.10.21 at 1:48 pm

I’m with you Don. Thumbs up

#72 AM in MN on 11.10.21 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for your courage Garth.

Glad there’s still a few oldies who understand that Freedom isn’t free. Not so optimistic about the future as I see so many who vote to give it all up.

I did 8 years in the Reserves (Artillery). Canada and the commonwealth have a richer military history than many know or appreciate. I joined when Reagan was President and I understood that freedom wasn’t free even back then.

Hard to make sense of the sacrifice though. Old friends did time in Afghanistan and after a while couldn’t see the sense in it, and certainly not worth the deaths.

Grandad served for NZ in WWI, lost a good friend during an attack they launched less than a week before Nov. 11th. He never forgot the loss to that family.

We’ll be at it again if the sheeple of the western countries don’t smarten up and seek a free society. I’m beginning to think it would be worth the money for the country to pay every kid after high school to spend a few months on tour through the middle east, parts of Africa, the tribal areas of Pakistan, and attend some political protests in China and Russia.

#73 Leprechaun on 11.10.21 at 4:15 pm

It should be a red house .

#74 Nonplused on 11.10.21 at 4:21 pm

#24 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 2:09 pm

“One wonders if the idiots that tore down the Canadian Flag on Canada Day are smirking and bragging now.”

Gone are the days when such destruction of private property and desecration of a national symbol would have been looked upon with scorn by even street criminals. Now these lowest of lowlifes look upon themselves as heroes, and are oblivious to the fact that almost everybody hates them. The world is upside-down.

#75 Alberta Ed on 11.10.21 at 4:25 pm

On a visit to England a few years ago we stopped at a museum in a small town. The WW I and WW II dead from that village were listed there,many young lives cut short. My uncle’s name is on a plaque in a memorial cemetery in Holland; his body was never found after his B24 bomber was shot down during the Battle of the Bulge. We should be proud of our flag and honour our veterans.

But not our prime minister.

#76 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 4:25 pm

@#67 Wrk.dvr
“the next come from away carpet bagger.”

+++

I’d hardly consider myself a “come from away carpet bagger”
Both parents and all relatives are Islanders.
I live and work in BC because…….that’s where the work is.
Rather than the EI abusing, teat suckling, perpetual layabouts that never went anywhere that bitch and moan that they can’t afford anything ’cause “dem Come from Aways are takin it all.”

I sold the property for what I paid for it. To an Islander who was going through a divorce.
It was a good learning experience.
I’ll only buy land and slowly develop it over the next 5 years for my retirement.

Less tax when there’s no building on it…

#77 TurnerNation on 11.10.21 at 4:29 pm

#78 Dogman01 on 11.10.21 at 4:31 pm

While we can’t all be Lumberjack Commandos:

One of the things a Canadian can do to support their hard fought for Freedoms is to become Financially aware and on a road to being Financially independent. Having unwieldy Financial obligations makes you beholden to employers, government and the dreaded “Political Correctness”. Having financial freedom allows you to think and speak your mind more freely. A Strong property owning Middle Class has always been the sign of a free society.

Regarding age and responsibility of soldiers; have a look at this documentary and the age of the Lieutenant Colonel and his other officers. Starting at the 7:20 min mark, “Spanky” is 22 years old, a Major with 170 missions.

#79 Faron on 11.10.21 at 4:36 pm

Sail Away: had to make it bold italics all cap for the hard of seeing.

DV: not a mea culpa in the least and i have no pass to ask for.

others: weak sauce. Garth leaned on bad info to make a point. i pointed it out the error. now you droolers are hurt because you have one less bad datapoint to glom onto. this is over.

#80 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 4:59 pm

#30 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 2:24 pm
#20 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 1:57 pm
#11 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 1:28 pm

It’s a nice gesture, but sad, Garth.

A small flag like that doesn’t have the same cachet.

Allow a GoFundMe to buy a proper large flag.

——-

Typical American attitude.
It’s the thought that counts, my friend.
Maybe you could donate the US 4,200 COVID cheque.
Lest we Forget!

——-

Besides, I might need that money.
————————–
Well, than sell some poppies.
And keep the money.
Courtesy of Canadian soldiers who gave their lives in the historic ” Battle of Ortona” which broke the strong German defense and allowed the Americans and Brits to march unimpeded towards and “liberate” Rome.
The Amis and Brits marched first into Rome greeted by delirious crowds.
When the Canadians ( the few that survived) marched into Rome, in the middle of the night, the party was over.
At least the Dutch celebrate and appreciate what the Canadians did to liberate their country.

#81 ts on 11.10.21 at 5:05 pm

Great post Garth. Thanks for reminding us what it truly means to be truly free and proud Canadian thanks to the sacrifices of those brave and selfless soldiers – including Gander – what an amazing dog.

#82 Dragonfly 58 on 11.10.21 at 5:07 pm

So glad you have a new flag to fly , sorry it can’t be your origonal one but please fly the current one proudly. I have a pair of great uncles who served for Canada { both no longer with us } in Italy and later during the push into Europe. Both came back thankfuly although one recieved wounds enough to put him out of action for a few months.
Remembrance Day is always a day of reflection and gratitude in my household.

#83 HonestEnD on 11.10.21 at 5:15 pm

Amen to that post. I will join the moment of silence tomorrow at 11am and think about all the men and women who gave up their lives so that I can sit here and write this comment without fear, oppression, or punishment.

#84 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 5:19 pm

It seems painfully obvious to everyone BUT the Conservative Leadership …..that they need a new leader.

I’m not sure how much more of Trudeau’s NDP govt I can take.

#85 Clammydog on 11.10.21 at 5:45 pm

Wonderful words Garth. Thank you.

#86 willworkforpickles on 11.10.21 at 5:48 pm

Those selling long paid for property this past year, taking half the money and buying RE at historical low interest rates with a new mortgage in tow, then flipping the property for a nice profit a few months later did very well.
Those who did this numerous times did great.
I too took advantage of the opportunity (as a dual citizen) and it worked out well with a south central Ontario property bought and sold, all realtor handled without ever setting foot in it.
So now the time of the real estate entrepreneur in Canada starts to fade some with each passing month as the risk grows.
When rising rates begin to spook investor/buyers anticipating a drop off in first time and move up buyers as a result, risk buying will start to dry up with it.
We are getting closer to that time of high risk where investor/flippers either throw in the towel or get burned.

Those who sacrificed in many wars keeping democracy alive we all owe a debt of gratitude to having made the lives we live possible.

Never been to war myself…only a 30 year long urban battle at home housing the poor and dregs of society.

Fly that flag Garth….to hell with anybody who says different.

#87 tbone on 11.10.21 at 5:52 pm

My father fought in WW2 . The allies were dropping bombs on him in Sicily as he was on the other side.
Glad they missed.
I was born in Canada , so i always bought a poppy.

#88 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 5:54 pm

@#73 Leprechaun

“It’s a great looking flag, but someone accidentally put a maple leaf in the middle.

It should be a red house .”

++++
I guess the red house symbolizes Canadian household debt

At least they could have put a Canadian Maple Leaf on our flag……

#89 Rod Callele on 11.10.21 at 5:59 pm

Thank You Garth for posting this and for putting in the effort to put your flag back up.

#90 Faron on 11.10.21 at 6:05 pm

USD breaking up just under a full percent today 8-/. Remember that if you are trading commodities, you are very sensitive to the USD’s strength.

Canadian O+G at post COVID highs and late 2019 levels while demand relative to 2019 is down. Markets look to the future etc.?

#91 the Jaguar on 11.10.21 at 6:13 pm

#92 the Jaguar on 11.10.21 at 6:16 pm

#93 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 6:26 pm

#47 Dolce Vita on 11.10.21 at 3:16 pm
#44 Faron

As I read it, the only mewl here would be you.

Nitpick —> Admire Garth.

—————–
Dolcius,
Remember, Nov 11 is a day to remember the brave Canadians who gave their lifes to protect our democracy, freedom and free speech.
So, for you living in a foreign country, lecturing someone like Faron who lives in Canada, is gainfully employed, pays his taxes and uses his “free speech” to voice his opinion on Canadian matters, is fricking disgraceful.

But then, this is Dolce, living out his fantasies from his Mama’s basement.
Enjoy your imaginary trip to the Amalfi Coast.
I’ve been there a couple of times.
Capri, where many American Movie stars hang  out, Lemoncelli, Blue Grotto, been there.
Pompey is unbelievable.
Seeing how people lived and died, 2O00 years ago is incredible.

#94 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 6:30 pm

#92 the Jaguar on 11.10.21 at 6:16 pm
—————–
Good one.
Do you have any pictures of heroic BillyBob flying a cargo plane, full of crap from China?

#95 Baffled on 11.10.21 at 6:36 pm

There is a story I’d never heard of before, amazing. Dogs better than people every time.

For many around us it’s freedumb. Just fall in behind the liar whose lies you align most with and help perpetuate their lies. Sad but true.

#96 Jordan on 11.10.21 at 6:37 pm

DELETED (Anti-vax)

#97 Reality is stark on 11.10.21 at 6:40 pm

Hugo Chavez didn’t need freedom and the young communists here don’t need freedom either.
They just need your money.
All the flag represents to them is hard work and sacrifice.
So tear it down and extort the cash.
It worked magic in Venezuela so no reason it can’t work here too.
After all we are all the same. That is why you should be forced to take on a random partner chosen by the government for your future well being.

#98 willworkforpickles on 11.10.21 at 6:41 pm

#84 crowd-vator-ftz
When a country is as messed up as this one is becoming, you need a celebrity to govern it.
Former PM Stephen Harper has a distant cousin – trailer park boy – Ricky (Robb Wells) who was and may still be interested in the job.

#99 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 6:41 pm

Speaking of rights, democracy, integrity, and arsonist criminality… the live Rittenhouse trial stream is a must-watch.

The Kenosha riots shown repeatedly in the videos were terrible. Such violent destruction and non-punishment of vandals has no place in civilized society.

#100 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 6:42 pm

#93 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 6:26 pm

… like Faron who lives in Canada, is gainfully employed, pays his taxes …

Hahaha, that’s funny. Taxpayers who pay his salary so he can pay a little tax back and spend his “gainfully” employed hours on blogs arguing with everyone. Except you.

#101 Lunenburg Flag Thief on 11.10.21 at 6:47 pm

When do you close up and turn off the lights tonight?

#102 HH on 11.10.21 at 6:54 pm

My father was one of those young men sent off to war. He came home but he never talked about it. Why didn’t he talk about that war? I keep wondering. He wouldn’t join the legion either. One time he said that war was over forty [email protected]!!!g years ago. That’s all that he said about it.

#103 Steven Rowlandson on 11.10.21 at 6:57 pm

Freedom? Watch and learn if you really have freedom.
Remember freedom like glory is fleeting.

#104 david on 11.10.21 at 7:01 pm

As a French guy, I salute all the Canadians who served in WWI (and in the wars after). They will be forever remembered.

#105 Garth's Son Drake on 11.10.21 at 7:06 pm

Gander is more proof of why dogs are so amazing.

#106 IHCTD9 on 11.10.21 at 7:07 pm

‘Attaboy Mr T. Flag looks right at home up there. The extremist lefty woke activist ding dongs can pound sand.

#107 Jane Finch on 11.10.21 at 7:21 pm

On this day in history Canadians were involved in some of the bloodiest murderous fighting in Holland to liberate that overrun country from the psychopathic Nazis. Imagine if Trudeau Two had been in office. Shudder. Fortunately for all humanity Trudeau was not in charge and we have lived in a free world since.

But are we losing our freedom because immigration into seats has been weaponized by persons who forget that freedom isn’t free, you bet. Government now pays for protesters to divert attention away from the policies being set by people new to democracy and those that didn’t fight in our quest for freedom. Steal a flag, score some points.

Rage against democracy, become a cabinet minister. Maybe we need another war. And when the bad guys out there , and there’s lots of them, think we’re weak enough to pluck they’ll try to , and you’d better hope the generation that has another Nazi Third Reich to face has the balls , because the Nazis and their contemporaries don’t like blue haired whiners ,gays or fist waving pride parade attendants, bad guys throw the weak into ovens and off rooftops for sport.

Critical Race Theory goes out the window during a religious frenzy. There’s bad guys out there who’ll hang you for playing guitar. Think about it. We need some adults in charge. Currently there are none. It’s scary if you remember that history often repeats itself.

Ex: Dateline Ethiopia, one tribe thinks the other tribe has got some stuff they’d like to take. Some bad guys think they can murder all the weak ones and take their stuff. How many times in history have seen this set up? Think it can’t happen here? Remember what Remembrance Day is all about. Ask a Dutch citizen what life under the Nazis was like before Proud Canada stepped into the fight.

And PS. While Justin pumps his anti- energy policy, for reasons borne outside Canada’s interest, read about the reality of our countries potential as a supplier of a product that continues to underwrite civilization.

#108 Bezengy on 11.10.21 at 7:23 pm

tomorrow 11:00 am

#109 Brad on 11.10.21 at 7:24 pm

DELETED (Anti-vax)

#110 Wrk.dover on 11.10.21 at 7:24 pm

#76 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 4:25 pm
_____________________________

I once asked a Cape Bretoner of that description while on his own turf, whether those carpet baggers take any of their jobs also, but he said, “no way Bye, day won’t wrk fer min-mum wage, Bye.”

I migrated to NS so I could afford to be poor. I hope others can re-live my success here rather than be priced out by specu-vestors.

Somehow I thought your origins were in Dartmouth.
I need to stop winding your tail though, Ponzie is liable to get jealous. I’d pay a cover charge to watch you two bicker away in a bar room sometime. National tour?

#111 Marc Roger on 11.10.21 at 7:39 pm

Good words, Garth.

#112 COW MAN on 11.10.21 at 7:55 pm

Sir Garth:

You are a long way from Moffat now my former MP.

#113 Willem on 11.10.21 at 7:58 pm

There are times like this when a few possessed selfish individuals/commenters have no business monopolizing and abusing the free speech graciously allowed on here by our host. Please get with the program, get a life and contribute elsewhere where they enjoy the pollution of the discourse! Sorry if I offended any of the half dozen of you!

#114 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 7:59 pm

————–
No contest.
I have two CEFs for breakfast.
And then A Mexican DG Torta for desert.
And for dinner, Sailo and Dolce.
Guten Appetit!

#115 ImGonnaBeSick on 11.10.21 at 8:02 pm

#114 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 7:59 pm

You have two fartz for breakfast?

#116 David on 11.10.21 at 8:13 pm

Great post. Spoken from the heart. These days I weep for my country. Most Canadians don’t know what we’ve lost! We’re going to have to suffer a bit to get it back IMO.

#117 RichardTO on 11.10.21 at 8:18 pm

No Remembrance for those swept up by the other regimes, like my ancestors. Their side ended up losing so their history is reviled, not remembered and I don’t celebrate.

#118 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 8:24 pm

Lest we forget.
Not only European descendants were fighting in WWI and WWii.
Lots of Chinese, South Asians, Blacks and Natives also fought.

#119 Mrs Hubris on 11.10.21 at 8:36 pm

On Vancouver Island we are full on, woke, cancel culture, where Captain Cook ends up in the harbour and Queen Victoria bleeds red paint. I am waiting for an email from my PSE institution that is about something other than identity politics, social justice activism or some egregious wrong perpetrated by my culture, or identity group, upon another. The dominant culture (mine, of course) is currently accused and ostracised to the degree that I wonder if the woke are actually perpetrating an intolerance, or some “ism”, quite as awful as the one “my culture” stands accused of. Perhaps I should “check my privilege”? There’s a McArthyism about all of this, but this time from the Left itself. How ironically sad and divisive? One thing I do know now is how many hate my culture. Well done critical theorists, and well done universities.

#120 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 8:37 pm

@#110 Wrk.dvr
“Somehow I thought your origins were in Dartmouth.”

+++
Yep. Born in NS. Lived in Dartmouth til I was old enough to get the hell out.
Parents and all the other relatives from PEI including my sis.
Spent most of my summers as an indentured slave at various Island relatives farms, fishboats or gas stations.
Easier on my parent’s sanity that way.

Eventually headed West for fame and fortune.

As for a Ponzi/Fartzi “Bickerson roadshow”….who knows.
If the markets crash and I’m living out of a cardboard box under an overpass…….
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

#121 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 8:46 pm

#113 Willem on 11.10.21 at 7:58 pm

——–

Thank you, W.

It’s about time someone told those guys!

#122 Dr V on 11.10.21 at 8:49 pm

49 First Nations

From the article:

“The appeal court recommended negotiations among the parties. “True reconciliation will not be achieved in the courtroom,” it said.”

This is a good example of a “specific” FN claim. These generally fall under the following – Indian Act violations, treaty obligations, which may include monetary, land or other treaty terms.

So nothing really new here, though the settlement may be very large. Ontario is wiling to negotiate as long as the feds come along, and the FN is also willing to negotiate.

Over 400 specific land claims have been settled, and
several hundred more are possible.

#123 Kaiser Soze on 11.10.21 at 8:55 pm

DELETED (Anti-vax)

#124 Faron on 11.10.21 at 9:07 pm

#100 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 6:42 pm

Taking pot-shots from meheeco are we gringo? That’s trashy.

I don’t have to, but let me fill you in there big guy, so that you can look like the idiot that you are:

First, I’m not a government employee.

Second, I have years of technical education and experience under my belt and have chosen this career path both because it is something I’m passionate about and because I can work to help others. We provide analysis and data to hundreds if not thousands of private-sector users each year, throughout North America and for free. These are people like Sail Away and the consultants they hire who need climate information so that they can understand how to design structures so they don’t kill people. Now and in the future.

I live a very humble life befitting a public servant even though I am not one. I earn less than market wage and work more hours than I am paid for because I, generally, enjoy the work. If I happen to spend an extra couple of hours here on the worst of days I make up for it by working longer hours.

You, my friend had better have had an angelic career, but we will never know because you lack the bravery to post identifiably. But, hey, happy remembrance day to you. Sounds like you are enjoying it from afar… presumably because Calgary is too cold for you tough guy? Certainly not any more from the greatest generation than I am.

#125 Statsfreak on 11.10.21 at 9:09 pm

Thank you for another eloquent post, Garth. So proud of our brave heroes and grateful for everything in my life, which would not exist if not for them. Really wonderful to see the gift of a new flag hanging on your beautiful building again.

#126 conan on 11.10.21 at 9:10 pm

RE #84 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.10.21 at 5:19 pm

The Paris Accord allowed nations that had not experienced an industrial revolution , to have one. I believe they were all given 20 years. China, India etc, have all signed the deal. And, they are allowed to build coal plants etc for 20 years.

I doubt they make it back to power without another NDP Orange Wave screwing up the first past the post numbers.

#127 Al on 11.10.21 at 9:11 pm

Provincial Government employees are still “working from home” thanks to their union; OPSEU. These employees get full salary plus a DB Pension while the stores in the Path and Yonge Street struggle to stay afloat.

#128 Faron on 11.10.21 at 9:16 pm

#106 IHCTD9 on 11.10.21 at 7:07 pm

Just a hint: The more adjectives you add, the smaller the group is you are identifying. Chances the three of them live in Lunenburg is small.

#129 Stoph on 11.10.21 at 9:24 pm

#117 RichardTO on 11.10.21 at 8:18 pm

———————————————————–
Remembrance day isn’t a day of celebration, it’s a day of commemoration. It’s open to all who are thankful to be living in peace.

#130 salonist on 11.10.21 at 9:27 pm

stop pandering yourself mr turner
you know canada day was passed without a quorum
5 members or something like that
my father a czech was a nazi after germany invaded
captured he was sent to a prisoner of war camp but released to fight with anders army
i think smokin man told me to move on after i moved into his blog
this is smoking man,
the legend
“you can’t bend what you can”t offend”
on lakeshore at longbranch
mr turner has the archives of the deleted posts
peace
she loves me she loves me not
peace
there are a plenty

#131 protea on 11.10.21 at 9:29 pm

Thank you Garth for your wonderful tribute to the many who made the supreme sacrifice. My wife’s uncle Jack 25 yrs of age shot down on his first bombing Mission to Germany. Their were also many innocent victims who we remember and must never forget.

World War II proved that there is no limit to the cruelty that humans are capable of committing. Throughout the holocaust, Jews and other “undesirables” were systemically thrown into labor camps and forced to endure unimaginable horror.

#132 Faron on 11.10.21 at 9:37 pm

#99 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 6:41 pm

…live Rittenhouse trial…

Apparently you missed the memo, Garth doesn’t want that discussed here.

#133 Odif Yltsaeb on 11.10.21 at 9:53 pm

Reading about Gander broke my heart. The ultimate good boy.

#134 Puzzled in Mtl on 11.10.21 at 10:01 pm

Left France 50 years ago to come live in Canada, my country now. Never missed buying a poppy and saying thank you to the veterans because when I was a kid, family and teachers told us about the immense courage of the Canadians-Canadiens that came from so far away to save us.

#135 The republic of Oilbertastan on 11.10.21 at 10:02 pm

Yeah baby.. Oilberta finally got some bucks… we are now one with everyone else… isn’t this great.. keep it coming T2!!

We hold a referendum.. and boom we get money!!

What a crazy Country

#136 Steerage on 11.10.21 at 10:06 pm

#131 Puzzled in Mtl on 11.10.21 at 10:01 pm

Recall walking through villages in Normandy around June 6 and it’s amazing how many houses had Canadian flags in the windows.. very cool.

#137 Robert Ash on 11.10.21 at 10:24 pm

Thanks Garth for the comments, often we forget the lost Grandfathers never met, or Uncles lost, it is a time in History in our DNA for now… that should be respected… Sadly there are issues today that are worrisome, in terms of conflict internationally. Let’s hope sanity prevails. Good to hoist a toast in honor of those who gave their lives.

#138 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 10:26 pm

#132 Faron on 11.10.21 at 9:37 pm
#99 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 6:41 pm

…live Rittenhouse trial…

Apparently you missed the memo, Garth doesn’t want that discussed here.

——-

Please coordinate with the big guy and send a list of approved topics to my secretary, thx.

#139 BillyBob on 11.10.21 at 10:27 pm

#94 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.10.21 at 6:30 pm
#92 the Jaguar on 11.10.21 at 6:16 pm
—————–
Good one.

======================================

You mean your Amazon order? Or the PPE and vaccine needles to keep you from dying? You’ll have to be more specific, you’d be surprised at the variety of things we loft across the globe while you sit behind your screen.

As an aside: does your Chinese partner get offended when you constantly refer to stuff from China as “crap”?

I will ask thought, for you to stop describing me as a hero. Just an ordinary guy doing my job.

#140 Scaron on 11.10.21 at 10:30 pm

#128 Faron on 11.10.21 at 9:16 pm

……
You’ve made your point big boy, ad nauseam. Now please, Just. Stop. Posting.

#141 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 10:32 pm

#124 Faron on 11.10.21 at 9:07 pm
#100 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 6:42 pm

Taking pot-shots from meheeco are we gringo? That’s trashy.

First, I’m not a government employee
**************************************
Making fun of a country’s name (meheeco) could have you cancelled by your own tribe some day. That’s how they roll. My Mexican friends and I think it’s funny and have no issue with it. That’s how we roll.

As for not being a government employee I’m sorry. I thought you worked for UVic. If you’re working for the private sector then I’m sorry for them.

Your name calling is always a refreshing attribute.

#142 Ardy on 11.10.21 at 10:41 pm

Tomorrow is my grandson’s 13th birthday. He was born on the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

In 1914, my grandfather snuck away from his parents home and went to enlist into the Canadian military. He was volunteering to go off and fight the war. He was born in 1899 so he was 15 and underage and they wrote on his card……..do not send overseas until age 16. His parents found out and brought him back home. A few days later he went to the recruiting office again and this time his parents let him go, if that was what he wanted so badly to do.

He was sent overseas and fought his way across Europe in muddy trenches and in a terrible war.

When he came home he was never the same. He drank a lot and kept to his war buddies. He worked, raised a family but didn’t speak much and never…..ever…..ever about the war regardless of how many times my young voice would ask him about it.

When I look at our grandson, I can’t help but think of how terrible it must have been for my grandfather at such a young age.

Imagine your son or daughter going to that kind of war at the age of 15.

When grandpa passed away the Legion attended his funeral and played the pipes. It was emotional for everyone. I don’t think there is a saddest sound on earth for anyone who lost someone in the war.

God bless him, his comrades, and the Legion…..remaining veterans who still answer the call of duty with honour.

#143 Poppyseed on 11.10.21 at 10:45 pm

DELETED (anti-vax)

#144 Italia is ruined... on 11.10.21 at 10:54 pm

So how many coffee breaks were there in the 12 years to decide coffee breaks are not a human right..

Don’t break yer arm on your coffee break!!…

Viva Italia!

#145 Habitt on 11.10.21 at 10:56 pm

135 read the article. Oh and quit your whining. Go ahead leave the federation. Can’t ship north, south, east or west. That’ll work eh back to your sandbox now.

#146 Faron on 11.10.21 at 11:26 pm

#99 Sail Away on 11.10.21 at 6:41 pm

non-punishment of vandals

What the H-E-double-hockeysticks are you talking about? Maybe they should have been shot by 17 year olds packing illegally purchased assault rifles? Would that suit you better as punishment?

The department reported 175 people were arrested from Aug. 24 (when the first protests started) to 12:30 p.m. on Aug. 30. Of those, 102 listed addresses outside Kenosha.

The release also noted 69 of those people were arrested for curfew violations, while 34 were arrested for violating curfew as well as other charges such as carrying concealed weapons, burglary and drug possession.

idiot.

#147 DON on 11.11.21 at 12:26 am

Off topic…but what about the animals.

#148 The first Joel on 11.11.21 at 12:55 am

Re #102 HH
My dad too!
Innocent 19 yr old from the prairies, was with a army unit liberating concentration camps, was in France, Belgium , Holland and Germany . Never spoke of it, never joined the legion, never asked for benefits. I asked why once , he just said “I hope war is something you never see” and that there is nothing to celebrate. After he passed we found photos of him with a buddy, burnt out tanks damaged villages and other desolate scenes. I could say mankind’s lowest moments, but society has sadly spent the past 75 yrs providing that was not so.
Thank you Mr. Turner for you courage and faith in both Canada and mankind in general. This is aside of you and your team’s financial nuggets of advice you pass along to the steerage section. Some of us pay attention, some just want to chirp, life is just that way,

#149 NoName on 11.11.21 at 12:56 am

@fartz

Here it is, solar panel VS solar heater and non vacuum to.

#150 Jmes on 11.11.21 at 3:08 am

So much freedom, yahoo. Having to show papers to enter a restaurant, venue, post secondary school and more. Preventing kids from attending sports facilities if their parents don’t produce papers. Gee whiz, so much to be proud of with this country.

Garth would likely say then leave – welp, can’t even to that without your papers.

RIP to all the soldiers who fought for Canada. They deserve respect. I’m sure the current state of affairs on the “freedoms” they fought for would disgust them.

They would see you anti-vaxers for what you are. Selfish cowards. They fought and died for their society and you recoil at a needle, prolonging pandemic and sickness, because you are afraid. Never invoke their sacrifice to paper over your cowardice. – Garth

#151 under the radar on 11.11.21 at 4:37 am

I have been to Normandy and the surrounding country side. Hard to imagine hell on earth in such a pastoral setting.
Glad you raised the Flag. It means more than words to those who understand and remember.

#152 Overheardyou on 11.11.21 at 4:41 am

The ultimate price they and their families paid should never be forgotten

#153 Love this blog on 11.11.21 at 6:21 am

Great article Garth

#154 Franco on 11.11.21 at 6:35 am

Very touching post and a tribute to all that paid the price so we can live in freedom.

#155 Wrk.dover on 11.11.21 at 7:21 am

I have doubts regarding level of the education received by students after my boomer school years on the WW’s topic. I’m not much up to speed on them myself, considering the import and scope of them.

But, while talking to an American, an older neighbour summed up the WWII European war as thus; “John Wayne did not win that war” meaning the win belongs to Canada, not to diminish the US participation up to that point, but more to point out the Canadian lives sacrificed.

#156 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.11.21 at 7:37 am

@#126 Conan
“The Cons are going nowhere because people are giving them negative points for being pro Trump and denying climate change.”

+++
Trump? Climate change?
You’re giving the great unwashed voters of Canada too much credit.
TrudeAU barely won the last “election” due to the cynical Liberal strategy of tossing Billions of dollars off the back of dump trucks to the gullible masses that have the attention span of a Twitter video… then calling a snap election….in the Summer when no one was (hopefully) paying attention.

That, and the Leader of the Conservatives had the charisma of a peeled potato.

Inflation is rising with our debt. Bank rates to follow. Our Debt is historic. Jobs are begging for workers that dont want to work. Where will our dollar go?
Combinations that dont bode well for our future.
TrudeAU may wish he wasnt leader in a few more years of Butts socialist spending fandango.

#157 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.11.21 at 7:49 am

@#155 Wrk.dvr
” “John Wayne did not win that war” meaning the win belongs to Canada, not to diminish the US participation up to that point, but more to point out the Canadian lives sacrificed.”
++++
Most Military historians believe that the Russians under the brutal dictator Stalin, and their millions of dead,…. millions of dead…., bled the German armies dry, before the Allied armies finally invaded on D-Day.
Many Allied leaders were worried that if they didnt invade Europe in 1944 and it was delayed another year….Stalin wouldnt stop at conquering Germany…
Churchill was reported to have said to Truman after being informed of the new nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima, “Bomb Moscow next.”
Even Gen. George Patton wanted to continue the war and remarked, “Give me 10 tank divisions and I’ll be in Moscow by Christmas..”
He was killed a few weeks later in a freak accident in Belin…..

#158 millennial 1%er on 11.11.21 at 7:52 am

My great grandfather fought for the French. He survived. I’m sorry for those who didn’t, and their families at the time.

#159 Steven Rowlandson on 11.11.21 at 7:54 am

“The nation and society they protected is now ours to safeguard.”

Said 60 years too late Garth. That nation and society is gone.
The powers that be killed it and prohibited its resurrection or return and to add injuries and insults they helped to jack up home prices and debts both public and private soared, kicked god out of church and state , imposed all manner of political correctness and tried to give everyone the clot shot. Is there a Canada after all of that? Not likely. Expect a trend towards feudalism and separatism instead once enough people figure out that they have been screwed over. Globalism ,large scale government and society is in the process of disgracing itself. People will want to create something local that works and reflects their values and interests. They won’t want to be dictated to by rich and radical outsiders from far off.

That is part of the reason why your big flag went missing. The ideals and mystique associated with a respectable Canada of the 1950s and early 1960s doesn’t fit with what is going on today…

#160 Lumber on 11.11.21 at 8:17 am

I think one reason vaccine uptake was so high in the 1950’s is that society was rebuilding after the war, and understood sacrifice for the greater good. That echo is long-since lost by those today who gladly take society’s pleasures while shrugging it’s responsibilities.

#161 Dharma Bum on 11.11.21 at 8:22 am

#79 Faron

I pointed out the error.
——————————————————————————————————-

Yah…..right.

Pathetic.

“You don’t need a weather man to know which way the wind blows”. – Bobby D.

#162 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.11.21 at 8:38 am

@#147 Don

yeah, “disposable pets”….
Doesn’t surprise me.
The vapidity and lack of long range thinking in todays “twitter-verse” population = abandoned pets.

On another note.

It seems what is old is new again.

Reminds me of the 1988 “Cave on Foods” debacle in Burnaby and the discovery that an “engineering” firm Tamm Tacy and Associates was run by unqualified people.

The roof fell in on Opening day with the Mayor and Billionaire Jimmy Pattison watching with their mouths hanging open in amazement.

Tamm Tacy were last heard to be designing things in South America……

Sail Away might need to offer up his qualified engineering skills…..

#163 Elcheapo on 11.11.21 at 8:46 am

Um, I think it’s time we do a TurnerNation on Faron and limit him to two posts per day? Please?

#164 IHCTD9 on 11.11.21 at 10:17 am

#157 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.11.21 at 7:49 am

He was killed a few weeks later in a freak accident in Belin…..
____

One of the reasons Hitler turned East was that he was unable to establish air superiority over Britain, thus putting off plans for invasion. The Russians used the size of their country to great effect. Several fronts were established west to east, and when the first gave way, they fell back to the second where now the two lines became one. The further the Germans pushed into Russia, the longer their supply lines became, and the stiffer the resistance got. All this going on thru the Winter too. It’s amazing they even made it Moscow’s doorstep.

Stalin definitely was not trusted. That was the aim of the “Marshall Plan” to bring aid to post war Europe – and to build it back strong again before Stalin decided he’d like a little more of it for himself.

#165 tbone on 11.11.21 at 10:37 am

I like when Garth rips an anti-vaxer( # 150 ) a new one.

#166 First Nations on 11.11.21 at 10:40 am

#122 Dr V

I think there is something new here, because this is a violation of a contract.

If you don’t hold your end of the contract up, does that obligate the First Nations to keep allowing/proving the goods/services that they were not compensated for?

Those goods/services is access to their land.

Freedom is a lovely concept.

Just as long as it comes at someone else’s expense.

In this case, that Canadian Freedom is clearly at the expense of First Nations. Took a while to realize this, but if you think it through, there is no way around that truth.

No amount of fighting in European wars changes that truth.

#167 Jmes on 11.11.21 at 11:05 am

DELETED (Anti-vax). Go away. You are disgracing this day. – Garth

#168 DON on 11.11.21 at 11:14 am

#162 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.11.21 at 8:38 am
@#147 Don

yeah, “disposable pets”….
Doesn’t surprise me.

On another note.

It seems what is old is new again.

*********
Have to drive by the place in Langford today…as for the Save on Foods collapse…was shopping in that store after the great collapse. Was one of the biggest grocery stores at the time with parking on the roof.

You born on the Island?

#169 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.11.21 at 11:30 am

#144 Italia is ruined… on 11.10.21 at 10:54 pm

Don’t break yer arm on your coffee break!!…

Viva Italia!

—————————-
No one takes coffee breaks anymore.
Same for lunch. 1/2 hour most.
Caps on washroom breaks next?
Where are the Unions?
Actually, the other day I saw striking workers at two different companies.
In Germany, 6 giant Amazon distribution centres are behind pickets.

#170 Paterfamilias on 11.11.21 at 11:32 am

# 166. First Nations. No. Wrong. Dr. V is correct, there is nothing new here. If you are serious, it is time to bone up on the evolution of such negotiations. You can start by checking with those of your Indigenous family members that are involved directly – that’s what I do.

Meanwhile, the best of Remembrance Day to you, from all Indigenous (and non-) veterans.

#171 UmiouiuS on 11.11.21 at 11:34 am

In Flanders Fields
BY JOHN MCCRAE

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

#172 Frank B. on 11.11.21 at 11:45 am

Live in Toronto. Never saw a poppy until today. No one at work had it either until today. One colleague looked at me strange for having one the other day. Sad times.

#173 Trojan House on 11.11.21 at 11:50 am

DELETED & BANNED

#174 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.11.21 at 11:52 am

———————
Partially true.
Just like Napoleon, Hitler misjudged the severity of the Russian winters and the love of the Russians for their country.
But by the end of WWII was in sight when the Germans lost 800,000 soldiers in the Battle of Stalingrad.
They eventually lost 5 million in the war, with the Russians even more.
As for the Marshall plan, please learn, what really happened.
But today is for remembrance of the Thousands of Canadians who paid the ultimate price to free Europe.
Discussions about the when and how are for another day.

#175 Wrk.dover on 11.11.21 at 11:53 am

#149 NoName on 11.11.21 at 12:56 am
@fartz

Here it is, solar panel VS solar heater and non vacuum to.

_________________________________

Excellent full watch.

Validates my own budgetary choice to have afforded solar water years earlier than solar electric.

The evacuated tube collector Fartz linked the other day is yet more efficient than the one shown here, uses much less food grade glycol, but will cost considerably more.

Any consumer of hot water should watch the video.

Be the change.

#176 9 to 11 Flag on 11.11.21 at 11:53 am

Anti -Vaxxers fall for Russian, Chinese propaganda.

Lunenburg County fly bys rocked, more than anywhere else.

Flag up at sunset.

#177 Satori on 11.11.21 at 11:59 am

#113 Willem and #121 Sail away

Such a beautiful post!

I am sure this is obvious to more than just me. Reading here for the past few weeks, this “need to be right”, it is very transparent we have a narcissist here. The simple solution: Ignore all of Faron’s comments. This banter feeds a narcissist’s need to be right. A narcissist engages in defensive oppositional views to sustain his/her issues. Once we stop the feeding, they might find the professional help they needs…. Elsewhere.

#178 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.11.21 at 12:05 pm

@#168 Don
“You born on the Island?”

++++
Nope.
I get over there quite a bit for work.

#179 Dr V on 11.11.21 at 12:17 pm

166 FN

“I think there is something new here, because this is a
violation of a contract.”

Again, this is not new. A treaty is a contract. I do not know the particulars of the treaty, but the payment
seems to be what the dispute is about. And it is not about whether the FN was paid, it is about the ongoing amount.

Again from the linked article:

“The Ontario Court of Appeal ruled 5-0 on Friday that the minuscule continuing payments violated the treaties’ promise to share the resource wealth from the territory”

#180 Philco on 11.11.21 at 12:18 pm

We live in a divided and ingnorate Country like the one below us.
Shut down socialy media and 90% of the news, get a new real leader not a UN traitor.
Then maybe normalcy would prevail.
Every Tom Dick and Harry has a cause.
Some here sould take a time out….have you no real friends?

#181 Morrey on 11.11.21 at 12:21 pm

Remembrance Day.

Good poem #117. Thanks for posting.

Happy Dog

#182 Faron on 11.11.21 at 12:32 pm

#141 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 10:32 pm
#124 Faron on 11.10.21 at 9:07 pm
#100 Don Guillermo on 11.10.21 at 6:42 pm

Taking pot-shots from meheeco

Last I heard, that is how it’s pronounced. I would never make fun of Mexico or Mexicans. But Canadians who hide out there because their homeland is a little chilly sometimes? Who are implicitly willing to support a corrupt government there because it’s cheap and tropical livin’? Who whine about a correction of record from afar on a hallowed day having chosen not to live in the country because it’s not comfy enough for them? Yeah, I’ll make fun of that in heart-beat.

#183 dosouth on 11.11.21 at 12:32 pm

What a very appreciated post.

My father fought from he beginning to the end of the second world war with the merchant marines. Torpedoed 9 times, sunk 8 times, spent 43 days at sea in a liferaft 1 of 2 survivors of a fuel tanker.

Survived 1 year in an iron lung with Smallpox in the 50’s, fathered 8 children, never a day unemployed and never looking for excuses. He also received 3 Royal Life saving medals over his lifetime for 3 different incidents where people were at a beach or park and drowning. He went in without hesitation and saved all.

That is the definition of a hero, my hero.

#184 DON on 11.11.21 at 12:32 pm

Both my Grandfathers made it through the World War 2 and one lost 3 brothers. The horrific scenes and acts they witnessed were never spoken of. And as a kid/adult I never asked exploring questions as one could see the hurt was near the surface of their brave faces. They raised their families to be respectful and to take a knee when needed then get yourself up back up and continue on. I live a charmed life…with thanks to them and all who put their lives on the line. Dog bless them all!

#185 WTF on 11.11.21 at 12:33 pm

Lucky the middle of the night Lunenburg vandals weren’t in the USA when they decided Garths tribute violated some cooked up outrage imagined by the infinitesimal minority who would be completely ignored if not for their law breaking childish antics.

#186 Sail Away on 11.11.21 at 1:14 pm

#182 Faron on 11.11.21 at 12:32 pm

——-

So Canadians who vacation in Mexico are ‘willing to support a corrupt government’?

Also including, I assume, Canadian war heroes who vacation in Mexico?

And you have commented about your own vacations in Mexico a number of times on this site.

Interesting. Don’t let me interrupt your excavation.

#187 IHCTD9 on 11.11.21 at 1:31 pm

I’m thinking my backwater hick town will not escape the shadow of the GTA. 2 hrs away, and these lunatics are still piling in buying houses for investments and to live in.

I’ll keep watching and planning. I got no qualms unloading the bunker complex if the $$$ insists that I do, and have zero desire to live in a permanently transient hood where folks have zero roots, zero rural culture, and are just biding their time till an opportunity to sell at a profit comes along.

I like my hood – but it’s the people and the lifestyle not the buildings. But, I believe the bunker complex has a near future potential 1000% gain (with a little creativity) over what we paid for the place if Trudeau keeps on pushing home values up. That’s insane. Can’t say no deal.

If everyone can get that kind of money, the hood as I know it will be destroyed anyway as decades long residents cash out and are replaced by a hodgepodge ramshackle group of GTA escapees just looking for a house to flip.

I have to think that the whole of southern Ontario is going to be one crap heap of a place to live 20 years from now. So much to offer – but the coming social division, and the RE market wrecks it all.

#188 Trojan House on 11.11.21 at 1:59 pm

BANNED

#189 Trudi Woods on 11.12.21 at 6:20 am

In wee Erin the ceremony was quiet

Respectful and while there was a little kerfuffle about the municipality canceling rural garbage pick up it seems it ended quickly…I admire anyone standing up for the principals our country is based regardless of their political leanings…

#190 Tony on 11.12.21 at 9:50 am

My grandfather on my mother’s side fought in both World Wars and enlisted underage in the first World War. He was a Regimental Sergeant Major and earned a slew of medals including the MBE medal for Canada. I posted pictures of him in dsl reports under the name bohn.

#191 Tony on 11.12.21 at 9:59 am

Re: #184 DON on 11.11.21 at 12:32 pm

My grandfather was the exact opposite he loved war and lived for it. He never really got over it when the second war ended kept on saying I wish the war had of lasted longer. My grandfather on my father’s side never got drafted for Canada.

#192 Tony on 11.12.21 at 10:17 am

Re: #142 Ardy on 11.10.21 at 10:41 pm

My grandfather also enlisted underage. He fought for Canada in both World Wars. My other grandfather never got drafted.

#193 Vince on 11.12.21 at 12:22 pm

Thank you for this post. Thank you for all the heros that helped defend our freedom.

#194 westcdn on 11.12.21 at 2:09 pm

Fred’s squad were all sharpshooters. It must have been due to being gopher hunters. They were brave and took care of each other. He had one guy he called cold and hunger because was was all he complained about. Yet he was an excellent marksman (sniper). Fred would use him to take out troublesome Germans.

Investing, I win more than I lose. As long as I can keep that story rolling I should be okay. I learn from my mistakes. Too bad I can’t apply that to women although my daughters really like me. They do not like to take advice from me but they are doing well. My grandsons are dirty blond, maybe my former wife has some explaining to do.

I put in an order to sell half my call options on BIR. It is a tough game. I watch the cowboys playing pump and dump. It is a game that never gets old. I see gold has passed $1850 so it ripe for a $60 downdraft. Natural gas is suffering but I expect it get back to $5.75 with winter coming.