Dr. Garth

First up is Jason. Retirement looms. But what to do about unlocking his housing windfall?

“My bride and I find ourselves in a situation where the kids have recently moved out (university) and we are empty nesters,” he writes. “We would like to downsize the house in preparation for retirement (5 years or so).

What’s the best way to sell (and buy smaller in the same market) without giving all our equity to the Real Estate agent?  Private sale?  DIY Realtor (like Property Guys), or…just bite the bullet and use a local Realtor?  I have thought about posting on kijiji and offering a “house trade” for a smaller house with cash but…maybe that’s dumb.  Your thoughts on this would likely help many of us “pre-retirement X’ers” who are looking to be prepared for a decent retirement in the next few years.

The housing market has cooled since March and this will continue (more on that here tomorrow). More listings and less demand lie in the future as Covid retreats, workplaces open and people vacation, shop, repopulate cities and focus way less on personal space. In short, this is no time to cheap out on exposing the property to the widest possible market in order to get the best price.

You can easily FSBO, but will still need to buy MLS exposure through a licensed agent (for a few bucks). The trouble here is buyer suspicion. For Sale By Owner used to mean “cheap deal”. Now it means “greedy seller who wants the same price without paying a commission.” Like you. Buyers have zero come-back if the deal sours over false information, which is not the case when you list with a reputable broker. In short, private sales are a negative. As for Kijiji, when reasonable people won’t buy a beagle online, why would they grab your house?

Get an agent. Haggle the commission down a little if you can, but benefit from the professional reach, experience, marketing and negotiating skill this person brings to the effort. In any case, you probably made a killing on windfall market gains with the real estate, so don’t be cheap.

“I’ve been following your blog for a few years now for the dog pics (and some real estate tips),” says Mark, in Toronto. “I haven’t seen you touch on cash out refinance lately so wondering if you’d take pity on a lost soul and give some advice.”

At 34 Mark doesn’t need much. Single, no kids, $160,000 income, a property worth $700,000 with over half a million equity and a $500,000 liquid portfolio.

Wondering if it’s a good idea to get a cash out refinance to unlock some equity in the property and invest it in broad market funds (since low rates are ending soon), or pay off the mortgage next year, or get a HELOC and invest that (I heard interest is tax deductible). Or a combo of the above. I don’t want a second property rental nor tenants. I’d like to retire in 10 years. Yes I’m one of those FIRE cultists.

Leveraging up real estate equity to invest in financial assets is an appealing idea. After all, if you use HELOC money and make interest-only payments they become 100% deductible from taxable income. So a home equity loan at prime plus a half turns into a loan costing a little less than 2% for Mark and he can hopefully reap 6% or 7% or greater returns during the Roaring Twenties. His half-mill becomes seven figures by the time he’s 44 and he can retire comfortably in Beamsville (not in 416).

Pay off the mortgage (he says the rate is 2.6%)? Dumb idea. First, you might want to relocate when you retire (see above) and the RE market could turn by then. So why shovel more money into equity? Second, the mortgage rate now is less than inflation. It’s free capital. Use yours to invest, instead. Third, the FIRE people need two things to survive: (a) frugality and (b) a big pile of cash. Paid-off real estate in Toronto is only useful when you sell it to a greater fool.

Finally, here’s Donald. He’s 41, an O&G guy in Calgary. Also makes $160,000 and has saved $100,000. Renter. Engaged. Has a truck, motorcycles and RV. “Have been reading your blog for a long time, and never thought I’d say this…..but looking at buying a house. The Mrs. is getting all hot and randy for a house, and I think this might be the right time to jump on one.”

The young lady I’ll be moving in with is an HR professional, wants kids, and has always dreamed of a nice character home to raise a family. We’ve been dating for over a year. She owns a condo and would like to rent it out for when we move in.

We don’t have bidding wars here, and most people think we’re never going back to the office. My office is currently on a pilot project with a week on week off back in the office, full time should happen in September. Pending inspections, we might go with the second option and throw down $75,000 between the two of us on a $850,000 place. All roads are pointing to ownership, but I would love a second opinion if you have time.

You probably love her, Don, but downshift a little. First, if she owns a condo it should be sold, not rented if a house deal happens. She’s keeping it as insurance in case you flame out and start buying more Harleys. Never a good sign. Second, marry her or live together and see how this works out. Buying a house with both of you on title and each equally responsible for eight hundred grand in debt is a leap. Why can’t you cohabit the condo for a while? And be careful about Cowtown. The downtown commercial vacancy rate is obscene and being a oil-and-gas guy means your employment is not exactly rock solid.

Anyway, good luck. Enjoy the coming minivan.

About the picture: This is Donald’s dog. “Thanks a million, and can’t thank you enough for all the advice you’ve given me in the last 10 years,” Don writes. “This is Zoey, a 7 year old English Pointer who loves camping and hunting, and waking me up at 6:30 in the morning to get fed.”

#1 ElGatoNerodeYVR on 08.05.21 at 2:40 pm

#102 Dogman01 on 08.04.21 at 9:08 pm
#90 ElGatoNerodeYVR on 08.04.21 at 8:27 pm

I assume you have dual citizenship?

LMK when you do a stint in Canada’s military.

At that point I will acknowledge a moral right to Citizenship in Canada and the right to vote.

Is Canada just a bolt-hole you can flee too when things go wrong at “home”?

There are some games you have to be “all in” to play. Citizenship should be one of them

=======

Again you assume things.
While I do have Dual citizenship Canada is my home and service in the military is not a requirement of being a citizen or to vote.
If it were a requirement or Canada would stop recognizing dual citizenship I and many others would still choose Canada and do the mandatory service.
Let me know if and when that happens. It is not mandatory for Canadian born so are you advocating a 2 tier system or mandatory for all ?
Again, there are reasons while people keep dual citizenship, it doesn’t mean that we cheat on taxes and are ready to go back …for most of us Canada is a superior place to live, that is why we came here in the first place.
You may want to talk to people who have been here for decades and you may be surprised rather than picking extreme examples and generalizing.

#2 Spartacus on 08.05.21 at 2:50 pm

#37 Boom Town Rat …from yesterday

I slept on it. Tytler’s quote aims toward a win-win outcome of dependence upon a dictator.

Clearly the masses want to be dependent and have a free ride. Like animals in the zoo getting their daily feed.

And I’m sure we can all agree the politicians want to dictate.

Show me one democratically elected politician who doesn’t look upon a dictator with envy?

It is probably why they constantly keep trying to mess with the those who have achieved that “high score” level of dictator.

Not easy to get to dictator level. You have tell people what to do. Force them to do it. Control them. Legalize drugs that make them drowsy and easier to control. It’s hard work! When you get to the top of the mountain, everyone tries to knock you off. It’s a hard knocks life.

#3 Mattl on 08.05.21 at 2:54 pm

In the past I’ve found the next house I wanted first and then struck a deal with that listing agent to sell my home in exchange for significantly reduced compensation. The house prior to that we bought from a friend, and the house we sold most recently we negotiated way under market commission.

#4 Ballingsford on 08.05.21 at 2:54 pm

Donald and Zoey seem like they are best buds! Always go with what the dogs intuition is, after Garth’s of course.

#5 S.Bby on 08.05.21 at 3:03 pm

RL lumber is now at $528 for September contracts. Plywood is also dropping and copper prices are dropping too.

Futures for copper have dropped 9% to $4.35 a pound from the 2021 high reached in mid May. The price is still up more than 20% year to date, but a slight additional fall would put the price in correction territory, defined as 10% below a recent high.

#6 Millennial Investor on 08.05.21 at 3:04 pm

Interesting that Mark and Donald earn the same income, and despite his extra 7 years, Donald has next to nothing saved. Is this what happens when you buy trucks and motorcycles and RVs?

#7 LL on 08.05.21 at 3:10 pm

Never get married. Marriage is for losers. People who want to be broke. Divorce will take away most of your assets. Don’t get married. Live Stress Free and Retire Early.

#8 Dolce Vita on 08.05.21 at 3:19 pm

Dr. Garth tries to cure:

THE RE DISEASE.

Good luck with that My Liege.

Delta is a frilly debutante doing a Texas dip by comparison.

#9 Millennial 1%er on 08.05.21 at 3:20 pm

Hmm.. sane advice for free? Maybe I should email this garth guy

#10 TalkingPie on 08.05.21 at 3:24 pm

“Donald” is 41, makes $160k, rents, and has only managed to squirrel away $100k? Maybe he hasn’t been making that kind of money for very long, or maybe he needs to make less with the depreciating toys and more with the saving for the future.

How’s he going to swing mortgage payments on an $850k house – not to mention the other costs associated with owning a house – if he’s barely able to save now while renting? Does he expect that situation to improve itself once kids come along and the wife is on maternity leave?

#11 Official News from CDC on 08.05.21 at 3:36 pm

****************************/
If that happens I will renounce my Canadian citizenship in a blink of an eye. Trudeau said that Canada has no core identity, hence IT’S NOT A COUNTRY BY DEFINITION…so there’s no citizenship to speak of, more of a work permit type of passport…loool

THIS THING WILL NEVER HAPPEN SO I GET TO KEEP BOTH PASSPORTS THANKS TO FIDELITO
TRUDEAU AND HIS GLOBALIST IDEAS..LOOOL

#12 Yukon Elvis on 08.05.21 at 3:39 pm

Pre nup.

#13 mj on 08.05.21 at 3:45 pm

for the first guy Jason. If he lives in the gta, there is a real estate company that just charges 2%. 1% for each agent. I don’t remember the name of it, but that would be your best deal.

#14 Linda on 08.05.21 at 3:46 pm

Todays blog makes me wonder what the future may bring post election. Will RE get whacked with new taxes? Will the house equity interest deductible loan scenario suddenly become roadkill in the post election budget? Point being, does it make sense to wait & see or take the plunge prior to any potential changes in RE tax rules?

As for the pre-retiring couple, start the process now. If you’ve lived in the same digs for decades, going to take a long time to sort through & get rid of the excess stuff you won’t want to take with you. And if a stellar offer happens to be made, don’t hesitate to sell up ‘early’, especially if renting smaller digs is a viable option. No reason to wait if downsizing is really what you want to do.

#15 JSS on 08.05.21 at 3:52 pm

” And be careful about Cowtown. The downtown commercial vacancy rate is obscene and being a oil-and-gas guy means your employment is not exactly rock solid.”

Garth, is there any chance that the big six Canadian bank might move their head offices from Toronto to Calgary, to take advantage of the empty space in downtown Calgary

#16 Trojan House on 08.05.21 at 4:16 pm

34 with that much money? Very hard to believe.

#17 Planetgoofy on 08.05.21 at 4:21 pm

Good advice Garth. I need some myself on bigger items.
Buying a house IS the easy part. Its all the sky rocketing cost associated with it. My home insurance was $700 now a thou…got another and it was $1850.
I know a little about costs as I own a number of properties. Roofs, heat pumps and on and on repairs and maintanence. Thankfully I’m the fix it guy.

And on a different note…in my opinion EXACTLY what T2 is up to.
#2 Spartacus on 08.05.21 at 2:50 pm
#37 Boom Town Rat …from yesterday
I slept on it. Tyler’s quote aims toward a win-win outcome of dependence upon a dictator.
And I’m sure we can all agree the politicians want to dictate.
————————————-
T2 is there as then you don’t need to spend all the time and money winning peeps over.

https://youtu.be/64mX82kkZsM AND that’s A-ok cause he’s not Trump.

#18 The West on 08.05.21 at 4:22 pm

“Enough with macroeconomics, politics or doing battle with unhinged anti-vaxers. Life’s too short to spend arguing semantics, debating with bricks, or fighting trolls. Let’s get this blog back to its real work of helping people find marital bliss & inner peace through real estate lust.”

I, for one, enjoy your commentary on the social state of Canada. I think it is a voice that is badly needed. You are outside of the system having made a great name for yourself in the system.

There is always rabble to contend with but sane voices on the internet are hard to find.

#19 Ustabe on 08.05.21 at 4:26 pm

#7 LL on 08.05.21 at 3:10 pm

golly, gee whizz! My wife brought $8,000 into the relationship over 45 years ago, more recently sold her veterinarian practice for just under a million while retaining the land and building which provides her with a substantial lease income monthly and all the while giving her family much love and laughter. I’m saddened to hear that I did it all wrong.

A twitter thread for all you Albertans:

#20 Bob in Hamilton on 08.05.21 at 4:47 pm

“Let’s get this blog back to its real work of helping people find marital bliss & inner peace through real estate lust.”

Finally…get back to your roots…

..forget about saving the world.

#21 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 4:56 pm

With all the wildfires, I think it’s a good idea to sell your cottage in the sticks and buy a condo in a concrete tower in Gotham City as a back-up.
Another town devastated by fire California.
The insurance estimate to rebuid Lytton comes in at 68 mill.
Who are they kidding?
Lowballing it, not to freak people out living in other vulnerable areas.
IHTCD9 does not have to worry.
He has a bunker and a Dozer.

#22 GrumpyPanda on 08.05.21 at 5:02 pm

Today is the anniversary of the Lachine Massacre. But since only selective parts of Canadian history are remembered we’ll just ignore that.

#23 Dogman01 on 08.05.21 at 5:03 pm

#1 ElGatoNerodeYVR on 08.05.21 at 2:40 pm

Again you assume things.

——————————————–
My comment was hasty, being directed at you personally, whom I know nothing about, “Don’t blame the player, blame the game”.

I would like to be confident that people given the privilege of voting for the future of the country have strong ties and a stake in the place for the long haul. With a seat belt you have a big interest in the skill of the pilot and soundness of the engines, but if you have a parachute, well not so much…

Military service being a way to demonstrate a level of commitment, however 20 years of residency may also be a demonstration of commitment. Renouncing a Dual Citizenship would certainly demonstrate such a commitment.
From what I see to become a Canadian citizen, you must: be a permanent resident, have lived in Canada for only 3 out of the last 5 years. Just 3 Years of residency and you also keep your old citizenship, a very low bar IMO.

I recall the rather surprising moment when we learned that 50,000 Canadians lived in Lebanon and the Canadian government had an obligation to organize a sea lift to get them all out during a crisis.

Now I might actually be in support of some sort of service program (military or alternative) that allows the individual the privilege to vote, including for those born here.

I find people appreciate things more and are more involved with things they had to work for rather than things they were given.

#24 Citizen in Kelowna on 08.05.21 at 5:04 pm

We just finished 2 private sales, selling our own place for $815k and buying a nicer place for $910k. Agent told us we’d be lucky to get $800k, so feel fortunate about how it all went. Saved a boatload in realtor fees to boot! Garth is probably right in the broad scheme, but it worked out nicely for us to do private buying and selling.

#25 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 5:05 pm

#19 Ustabe on 08.05.21 at 4:26 pm
#7 LL on 08.05.21 at 3:10 pm

A twitter thread for all you Albertans:
——————
Same here.
Could not imagine a life without my partner in crime.
Ups and downs, all in.
I can tell from the bitter comments.
Many lonely posters here.

#26 Dogman01 on 08.05.21 at 5:08 pm

#1 ElGatoNerodeYVR on 08.05.21 at 2:40 pm

Apparently our PM can hold dual citizenship…..So I see my stance on voting is not mainstream.

In this case Scheer decided to renounce his US citizenship after he was elected leader of the Conservatives.

#27 Baba Novac on 08.05.21 at 5:20 pm

Dr. Garth,

Assuming one goes in ‘eyes wide open’ with taking out equity (via HELOC), is it best to go in “lump sum” into one’s regular B&D allocation (as you recommend)?

And what about the exit plan in (or over) 10 years from now if you make interest only payments? I’m struggling with conceptualizing the DCA/lump sum entry/exit points or planning.

Thanks for the diagnosis post. Proposed reply: “Only one issue per visit. Additional advice is not covered by your provincial health insurance or the heavy third-party advertising on this blog.”

#28 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 5:23 pm

As for the 68 mill damage in Lytton.
To put it in perspective
The most expensive house in Vancouver was recently sold for 42mill.
Something is rotten here.

#29 TurnerNation on 08.05.21 at 5:30 pm

Control over our travel…and by extension the economies of tourist seeking nations.
Seen elsewhere, I have not verified the 12/13 claim:

“12 of 13 Most Vaccinated Countries in the World Now Listed by CDC as Travel Risk
Very High: Malta, United Arab Emirates, Seychelles, Chile, Uruguay, Bahrain, Mongolia
High: Iceland, Qatar, Belgium, Canada, Israel
Low: Singapore”
Map: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html

— The Virtual Berlin Walls errected during this war, are getting attention:

.Europeans have not been allowed to travel to the US for 17 months – even though the EU has overtaken Americans in vaccination. The borders with Turkey and Russia, on the other hand, are open, despite high infection rates. Because Biden’s border policy is only superficially about Corona.
On Tuesday, the time has come: Fully vaccinated Americans are allowed to re-enter Canada. From September 7, the Canadian government wants to reopen its borders to other fully vaccinated foreigners. And vice versa? The U.S. is not even thinking about letting Canadians back into their country.
President Donald Trump once tried to build a wall on the border with Mexico. His successor, Joe Biden, has de facto erected an invisible wall on the border with his northern neighbor. But is the White House really just about “science” when it comes to whether or not borders will be opened, as Biden always claims?

– Latest science. Protection racket? It’s like a buffet!

“Moderna says we’ll need COVID-19 booster shots this fall, predicting protection will wane from its vaccine”

“San Francisco will provide an extra dose of the COVID-19 vaccine for people who got the single-shot Johnson & Johnson variety but public health officials aren’t calling it a booster, authorities said Tuesday.”
In a possibly unique decision in California, the Department of Public Health said people who request it can receive a supplemental dose at city-run clinics. The second shot will be a vaccine produced by either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna.

#30 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 5:32 pm

#23 Dogman

—————-
Nothing against Lebanese, but that really clanked my chain, too.
And there were reports that some where complaining why it took so long.
BTW, where is Sailo?

#31 Trudi Woods on 08.05.21 at 5:34 pm

…little wonder so many marriages end in divorce when men seek advice from a financial blog rather then their life partner…maybe fiscally…maybe not…you may be smart in school but not on the bus…remember who you’re planning on sleeping with for the rest of your life buddy…its not Garth…

#32 Beck on 08.05.21 at 5:36 pm

Too late for me. My wife was threatening divorce before we even got married 17y ago. I drove a beat up Tercel back then and once asked her to help pay for gas. No prenup required. Lol.

Her parents assure me she has always loved money. I believe them. She wants an LR and home in West Van without getting a job. No, she’s not a millennial.

We can now go about a week or three without her threatening divorce over a teaspoon in the wrong slot. I don’t know if that’s normal or not, but I’ve got used to it.

She did recently tell me only the lawyers win in a divorce. That was a big surprise considering she is eastern european and wouldn’t have come up with that on her own.

There is hope yet!

#33 Yukon Elvis on 08.05.21 at 5:38 pm

#16 Trojan House on 08.05.21 at 4:16 pm
34 with that much money? Very hard to believe.
++++++++++++++++++
Lots of inheritances staring to roll in. Seen quite a few. Always jealous as I inherited nothing.

#34 Planetgoofy on 08.05.21 at 5:45 pm

I spent a few years looking for a good commercial property.
Very Hard to find a good cap rate as stuff was overpriced then.. Found one in Courtenay.
The one office building has 2 penthouse condos, ocean views decks and all.
I called the broker directly and negotiated my own deal.
The listing agent gave me a great dude from the same office to represent my side with no conflict. I got them to take a $30k cut in commission. I did property inspection myself.
Looking 5 years back It was an amazing buy.
DONT rush in or get in lineups to buy!

#35 Guy in Calgary on 08.05.21 at 5:55 pm

Marriage/common-law is the best way to build wealth assuming both spouses remain on the same page financially.

Sorry for those that it did not work out for.

#36 Toronto_CA on 08.05.21 at 6:11 pm

I read that Donald’s $100k is what he has available for a house downpayment, eg. outside of retirement accounts. Not what he has as net worth. If he’s only got $100k total net worth at 41 on that much income, that could mean he’s got a spending problem and/or needs to focus on his retirement savings pronto.

#37 Garth's Son Drake on 08.05.21 at 6:12 pm

Amazon has pushed back its return-to-office date for tech and corporate workers until January 2022 as COVID-19 cases surge due to the delta variant.

People ain’t going back to the office this year.

#38 NOSTRADAMUS on 08.05.21 at 6:13 pm

ROCKET SHIP COMING DOWN-HARD!
To my way of thinking, no mortgage seems the best way to protect yourself, especially with nothing else as valuable or “certain” today. About debt, for those who think debt is “A-OKAY”, let me know how you sleep at night when you lose your job or income stream on borrowed money? It doesn’t matter one whit whether we are inflating or deflating if you owe money and lose your income. Granted, there was a time when being in debt paid off big time as all assets took off like a rocket. Rockets go up and rockets come down. This rocket is now earth bound. This is not the time to be speculating as the rocket fuel (liquidity) will shortly be withdrawn. A word to the wise, if you have any outstanding debt pay it off as soon as humanely possible. I am on my throne and I will not step down.

#39 Nonplused on 08.05.21 at 6:22 pm

FSBO is a lot like buying a used car. There is sort of a hierarchy of confidence. New car dealers come in first even though you know it will be more money. Buying from a friend and knowing the history of the car probably comes in second if not first. Then you can lump used car lots and for sale by owner together. Have a mechanic inspect it before you even consider making an offer. The fact is, most owners selling their own car themselves will not tell you their daughter drove it for 40,000 km without changing the oil. You only find that out later when it starts to burn oil.

————————————–

Mark could cash out equity through a HELOC but he could also just sell and rent. Given his situation I am not sure why home ownership figures strongly into his plans. Downsize and rent a condo with a swimming pool and weight room.

———————————-

Why is Donald suddenly rushing towards marriage and kids at 41 years of age? Is this really his idea? Or is he being coerced into playing the “white knight”?

————————————-

Also watch out for those O&G jobs. The industry is very cyclical and they like to lay off the higher earners first. There is no union seniority when it comes to staffing reductions. Instead they do it the opposite way. And “ageism” exists. When you find yourself 50 and laid off, there is no easy way back into the industry.

Several things have happened to the labor market that mean that seniority is no longer considered to have much if any value. The first is that most jobs have been standardized on the computer. And most kids graduate from university partially trained on those standard programs. So training times are reduced. In fact, some jobs are so standardized that if you higher a 28 year old that has 5 years in the same capacity at a similar company, there is almost no training time required at all. Just give him/her login credentials and point out the general direction of the important files on the network and they are away.

The move towards higher education is also crushing the old folks. The universities are simply pumping out way more engineers and business grads than industry is creating jobs to absorb them. But these new grads have more recent training in the ways of whatever Microsoft or SAP has come up with than the senior folks.

So if you are in O&G, indeed a lot of industries, when long term planning you should give a fair consideration for what you are going to do for your next job. Nobody is safe except the C-suite.

#40 Adam on 08.05.21 at 6:27 pm

Today I learned that everyone apparently makes $160,000.

#41 Idiocy on 08.05.21 at 6:38 pm

Trudeau and Freeland’s insane policies are just the appetizer in the banquet of nasty consequences that Canadians will be sitting down to in coming years.

Do you really think that the next generation of Gen X and Millenial politicians raised on;

1) video games depicting murdering for fun
(Call of Duty), mayhem (Grand Theft Auto) and fantasy (many titles)

2) socialist ”educational” systems

3) sports and entertainer worship

4) living virtual ”lives” on Facebook, Tik Tok, et al

5) an absence of critical thinking

6) a distinct lack of historical knowledge

7) almost universal financial illiteracy

8) a permissive criminal legal system and legalized drug use

etc., etc., etc. …..

will have any hesitation to take whatever they deem ”fair” from you ” rich people” for their ‘needs’ or when their incompetence has rendered the country insolvent ?

They simply have no frame of reference to govern in a fair and responsible manner.

This ”Confederacy of Dunces” will strip you of your assets through taxation and / or inflation if not outright confiscation.

See Venezuela for an example.

#42 Nonplused on 08.05.21 at 6:42 pm

#31 Trudi Woods on 08.05.21 at 5:34 pm

———————————

My recollection was that being “smart on the bus” meant knowing how to deal with bullies.

#43 Idiocy on 08.05.21 at 6:44 pm

to comment 31 Trudi Woods

Are you just trolling or you actually that naive ?

#44 F Cook on 08.05.21 at 6:47 pm

Marriage is about economies of scale. Pool your resources to do more than what each can achieve on their own. But for that to happen, both partners need to be in-sync on values, spending habits and life goals. Lucky are those who found such a person to sail through the journey together.

#45 Idiocy on 08.05.21 at 6:52 pm

to comment 35 Guy in Calgary

As greater than 50 % of marriages end in divorice, I disagree with your post.
Obviously at some point , over half of couples end up not being ”on the same page”.

#46 joe kahn on 08.05.21 at 7:26 pm

Go Team Canada Olympics 2020

#47 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 7:28 pm

#33 Yukon Elvis on 08.05.21 at 5:38 pm
#16 Trojan House on 08.05.21 at 4:16 pm
34 with that much money? Very hard to believe.
++++++++++++++++++
———-
Same here.
But you turned out ok., it seems.
What does not kill you, makes you stronger.

#48 I'm the the government I'm here to help on 08.05.21 at 7:40 pm

I have no sympathy for Canadians who took the $2,000 a month CERB and now are getting their Guaranteed Income Supplement cut and other benefits to pay back. In one case I read today he has to pay back almost half his pension for 2 years.

Do people have any sense of what the catch is these days. What did you think the government is there to give you limitless free money with no personal consequences. Come on, this is the government here we are talking about. Do they even know what the word government means. It means to govern brain from Latin. Look it up.

Think twice people you do something. Think critically is even better. People are too trusting of too much of government these days.

#49 Flop… on 08.05.21 at 8:00 pm

Hey Ponzie, Australia’s latest gold medal came from an American kid who decided to become a dual citizen and represent Australia.

Bloody leech…

#50 Baba Novac on 08.05.21 at 8:02 pm

Garth: Dollar cost averaging does not work, and never has. Failed policy. The best time to invest is when you get the money. – Garth

Thanks for confirming DCA does not work (any better; likely worse) for buying.

How about getting out when the mortgage term is up (or when you want to sell the encumbered property if a HELOC)? Sell a slice of leveraged investment at a time to pay back?

#51 devore on 08.05.21 at 8:09 pm

#45 Idiocy

Those 50% are only the ones that are beyond salvage, or where splitting is a more viable option. Think of the many marriages that are utterly disfunctional, but intact on paper and to outside observers. Many married men lead lives of quiet desperation, keeping their heads down, ruled by the demands of their wives and needs of the children. “Happy wife happy life” there has never been an inverse of that. Those who found someone they get along with and work together well are truly blessed, the rest are in for a life of misery, unable to escape or effectively change their circumstances.

#52 Sydneysider on 08.05.21 at 8:13 pm

If I sell a home for $1.2M that has appreciated by 20% I pay nothing in tax, but $60K in commission. If I sell stocks that have appreciated by the same amount, I pay about $45K in capital gains tax.

Transaction fees for houses are rather high. No wonder people chafe at them.

#53 VladTor on 08.05.21 at 8:19 pm

Garth …..Let’s get this blog back to its real work of helping people find marital bliss & inner peace through real estate lust.

************

Garth, give me five!

Finally you turn back to reality and what I’d like to see this blog.
Personally me I’m tired from vaccination posts. Brain overloaded!
But, please mean while I’d like to read your insider posts about what happening in parliament. I let you time to time let us know fresh news in yours interpretation. Be sure if I feel something suspicious – I will google and check.

#54 Drinking on 08.05.21 at 8:22 pm

DELETED (Anti-vax)

#55 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 8:31 pm

#49 Flop… on 08.05.21 at 8:00 pm

Bloody leech…

———–
Lots of athletes go where they think they have a better change of winning.
Nothing new here.
Still a leech.

#56 Barb on 08.05.21 at 8:33 pm

Gorgeous Zoey.
And that backdrop! wow.
Bet she runs for miles…

#57 you can't handle the truth on 08.05.21 at 8:42 pm

If you think vaccines and vaccine passports are going to save the coming human, economic, fiscal disasters in Canada, US, UK, Europe, Australia, Japan, China, India, worldwide then you are dreaming.

I’m sorry to say but it will go really downhill from here. The lower interest rates for 30 years now did not work. The free money train government spending and central bank financial engineering did not work. Everything from debt levels to crime to societal cohesion is crumbling. Financial planning and investing will not save you either.

Millions soon in the US will lose their homes and become homeless. This is just the start. Wait until the money, banking system gets seized up and fails. Good luck everyone. You can’t fix it.

#58 Ken on 08.05.21 at 8:49 pm

Halfway through his working years; $160K per year; $100K in assets; What is the opposite of winner?

#59 S.Bby on 08.05.21 at 8:55 pm

WOW lots of property magnates commenting here today along with relationship advice and financial experts.

#60 Barb on 08.05.21 at 8:59 pm

Marriage or common law isn’t the issue.
You must have a common goal(s).

Remember to look at both parents before you commit.

#61 VladTor on 08.05.21 at 9:08 pm

to #32 Beck

No prenup required
******

Prenup should be done and signed and ….looks like mouse trap.

If she want to divorce and it is her initiative – OK! Let’s go to court! Let her do it. Get divorced and leave without anything (that is in marriage contract). No obligations. For you – same rules.

If you/she want to divorce and both agree, sign agreement with lawyer and go to court – fair division of property/assets in that case.

Having this you can lough at her if she threatening you.

#62 Richard on 08.05.21 at 9:22 pm

402 new cases in the past 24 hours in BC as numbers sky rocket.

We know that delta doubles every 7 days.

So, now having to postpone tons of appointments to let this sweep through.

Again blaming the young because the BC government dropped masks and other restrictions before they were eligible.

You could not get a second shot until mid July in Kelowna.

Yet, restrictions were pulled July 1. And here we are with cases rocketing higher on a daily basis among the 20-40 age group – higher than at any other point in the entire pandemic for Interior health.

And they just gave Bonnie the order of BC.

Once again, BC usually just means Vancouver for the politicians.

I guess it could be worse though, like in Alberta where they have called off the pandemic as if one doesn’t exist anymore.

#63 Sandy on 08.05.21 at 9:28 pm

Any time government and it’s policy partner makers like central banks gets involved it never lets go and takes more and more control over everyone’s lives it always ends badly.

Give me one example the government relinquishes power and goes back to it was before. Remember when income taxes were supposed to be temporary. It is just like prices, inflation never go back to before.

#64 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.05.21 at 9:37 pm

@#28 Ponzie Ponders Purchase Prices.
“As for the 68 mill damage in Lytton.
To put it in perspective
The most expensive house in Vancouver was recently sold for 42mill.
Something is rotten here.”

++++

Rich people would rather live in Point Grey than Lytton?
Not too hard to figure out.

#65 ElGatoNerodeYVR on 08.05.21 at 9:39 pm

#30 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 5:32 pm
#23 Dogman

—————-
Nothing against Lebanese, but that really clanked my chain, too.
And there were reports that some where complaining why it took so long.
BTW, where is Sailo?
=======
Yes ,I totally appreciate that sentiment, it irked me too at the time and I can see why a subset of people with those type of entitlement could ruin it for all.
If you live outside of Canasa for longer than 6 months there should be a limit to what the government is prepared to do and on what timeline.

I also agree that the 5 years is a small bar to pass and I would totally support a 10 years with minimum 7 or 8 spent within Canadian borders.
Realistically most newcomers start at 2 weeks vacations but let’s say you killed it and can afford to take 3 months off every single year.

Dialog with an open mind always brings people to a common ground.

Peace.

#66 Flop… on 08.05.21 at 9:45 pm

#55 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 8:31 pm
#49 Flop… on 08.05.21 at 8:00 pm

Bloody leech…

———–
Lots of athletes go where they think they have a better change of winning.
Nothing new here.
Still a leech.

/////////////////////////

You just reminded me of an old Tasmanian saying.

You can lead an Austrian to the light switch, but you can’t make him turn it on and see the light…

#67 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.05.21 at 9:46 pm

@#31 Trudi Woods

Sorry Trudy,
But seeking an objective opinion about a major decision which can affect you financially for the rest of your life…… seems pretty prudent to me.

Marriage, children + divorce usually means financial ruin for most men.
Most but not all.

Bezos’ s ex is doing ok.
$57 Billion for kissing a toad….

#68 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.05.21 at 9:57 pm

@#55 Pouting Ponzie
“Lots of athletes go where they think they have a better change of winning.
Nothing new here.
Still a leech.”

+++++

Tsk tsk tsk.
A Leech, a gopher.
The name calling is getting dreadful.

#69 Idiocy on 08.05.21 at 10:01 pm

to comment 51 Devore

Agree and considered including that in my post, but did not want to mention what I could not quantify statistically.

Marriages that don’t end in divorice, but rather, horrible compromises are worse than divorice and I doubt that they lead to financial choices that are ”on the same page”as well.
I’ve seeen plenty of those, as I am sure you have, and they ain’t pretty.

Also, if the Guy from Calgary’s focus of his marriage was to ”… build wealth..” then I really can’t say much to that thought process, which, to me, is ridiculous and tawdry.
I am not sure that is what he meant by his post though.

#70 VladTor on 08.05.21 at 10:22 pm

to #62 Richard

O man!
You are in wrong blog.
Awake!
This blog NOT about vaccination – about RE and money.
Money…money…moneyyyy – listen ABBA!

We all vaccinated including this web page – twice!

#71 NSNG on 08.05.21 at 10:43 pm

#62 Richard on 08.05.21 at 9:22 pm

402 new cases in the past 24 hours in BC as numbers sky rocket.

402 ‘cases’ (not deaths) out of a population of 4 million.

Oh the horror!

#72 Holy Mother of ..... on 08.05.21 at 10:49 pm

Hey Fartz dude… hope you are fully masked.

#73 Tony on 08.05.21 at 10:51 pm

She won’t be renting that condo to anyone. They just sit empty for years on end. This is Calgary.

#74 Spectacle on 08.05.21 at 10:51 pm

Somthinh to think about::
Lumber prices just turned down significantly.
Much on the horizon to not go near real estate while the train wreck picks an end point on the damage.

A year from now the property landscape will look significantly different.

#75 NSNG on 08.05.21 at 10:55 pm

After the political poll and discussion, I think it is clear to most on this board that the government has painted itself into the corner of no longer being able to fix our economic mess.

They are now beholden to the mob which it fed and nurtured. The mob will revolt if the government tries to take its candy away.

So it is no longer one political party against another. It has basically morphed into a uniparty state. I think the wise move is not spending your energy trying to get your party in power. I think that energy is better spent preparing to do battle with the mob.

We need to survive at a rate the mob can’t tolerate and be able to live under the conditions that would trigger a revolt. So build your moats and secure your strongholds physically and virtually (economically). The mob will revolt soon enough, they are eating themselves in that direction and when they do, people best be prepared.

#76 VladTor on 08.05.21 at 11:13 pm

Too many scared people here today.

Good night to everybody —>

#77 mike from mtl on 08.05.21 at 11:14 pm

#63 Sandy on 08.05.21 at 9:28 pm
….
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Agreed.

Remember 9/11 the TSA goons was a ‘temporary’ measure to keep us safe. Two decades later still in strong force. Flying pre-911 was a completely different affair to even 2019, can’t imagine today. The Taliban aren’t plotting to bomb my home then or now.

Same with CV19, the vaxxed are supposed to be somehow super scared of the dirty ones so must be swiftly dealt with. Despite the hard reality that like Influenza will never disappear, you can reinfect, require endless “boosters” but hey you’re “free” and “clean”. The time for lockdowns and containment was autumn 2019, we are so far past that now.

As a collective, apparently have gone complete and total retard. The most scary thing is this thought process is what is disinformation? Who are you truly afraid of?

#78 the mob on 08.05.21 at 11:28 pm

#75 NSNG

I wouldn’t be too worried. Have you seen these people talking about revolution and pitchforks and guillotines?

You’d have to provide them with the pitchfork because they’ve never seen one, wouldn’t know where to get one and would have trouble carrying one.

They might scratch you with a garden rake though, so watch out.

#79 mike from mtl on 08.05.21 at 11:46 pm

#71 NSNG on 08.05.21 at 10:43 pm
402 ‘cases’ (not deaths) out of a population of 4 million.

Oh the horror!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

No different to everywhere else, the oldies and anyone else unfortunate have already been knocked off.

8m+ zero deaths, serious illness on lowest ever, deaths zero even barley connected to cv19 for weeks, no, we need to issue passports copy the same tired strategy of the full-blown lockdown. Pfizer/Modera works but who cares, the never-endingdemic continues.

Ontario will follow ‘the science’ as a true blind lefty soon enough.

#80 TrueLies on 08.05.21 at 11:50 pm

Roaring Twenties?
How about out of control 70’s.
Bubbles everywhere and no one seems to have learned that ALL bubbles
Pop. Always!

#81 Piet on 08.05.21 at 11:50 pm

#7 LL on 08.05.21 at 3:10 pm
#19 Ustabe on 08.05.21 at 4:26 pm
#25 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.05.21 at 5:05 pm

—–

——————
Same here.
Could not imagine a life without my partner in crime.
Ups and downs, all in.
I can tell from the bitter comments.
Many lonely posters here.
—–

“Men are more apt to be mistaken in their generalizations than in their particular observations.” — Niccolo Machiavelli

LL, if I hadn’t married I would almost certainly be in worse financial shape than I am now. My wife has taught me a lot about how to live simply and frugally. She was a stay-at-home mother who supplemented the schooling of our two daughters and brought them up to be high achievers. They’re both one percenters now who provide us with more money than we can spend. Money magically appears in our bank account, and stuff that we didn’t order arrives at our door. Big ticket items such as cars and home renovations are all taken care of.

#82 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.06.21 at 12:06 am

#68 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.05.21 at 9:57 pm
@#55 Pouting Ponzie
“Lots of athletes go where they think they have a better change of winning.
Nothing new here.
Still a leech.”

+++++

Tsk tsk tsk.
A Leech, a gopher.
The name calling is getting dreadful.
———————
That’s from someone who constantly calls our PM an Idiot.

#83 yvr_lurker on 08.06.21 at 12:10 am

Indeed divorce is a killer on so many grounds. Financially, when the other person does not work (or chooses not to), you may be on the hook for many years. Been there and done that having married an “artist” for 8 years and left with barely a suitcase in the mid 1990s. Took me about 7 years to dig out of bad hole financially. Remarried in 2003 to someone who am on the same page with and who earns nearly what I do… share all expenses by perecentage of income and 50-50 parenting… haven’t had an argument about money in 20 years being together…. everything kept seperate but income splitting does not work for us…. really so much easier and fullfiling and my partner and I roll the same way with being happy to keep things together but seperate…. To each their own… but if one has lots of resources and is considering marrying an “artist” then heaven help you…. and for sure get a prenup…

#84 DON on 08.06.21 at 12:18 am

#71 NSNG on 08.05.21 at 10:43 pm
#62 Richard on 08.05.21 at 9:22 pm

402 new cases in the past 24 hours in BC as numbers sky rocket.

402 ‘cases’ (not deaths) out of a population of 4 million.

Oh the horror!

***********

Most cases were people in 20 – 40 unvaxxed range. Who would have thought.

#85 THE Loser Millenial on 08.06.21 at 1:13 am

I tried to get a job in the O&G industry since I heard they paid a lot of money … but I really don’t like getting oil on my hands. In fact, I even go to the gas stations where they pump the gas for you. The smell of gas makes me nauseous. When I contacted one company’s HR department, they told me that I couldn’t WFH or continue wearing my pyjamas all day.

Life’s not fair. Thank god, I mean Justin … for CRB.

#86 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 1:31 am

@#72 Holy Mother

Old old news.
It was reported on this blog by “yours truly” over a year ago…….

A slow news day in the Summer of 2021.

#87 $160K on 08.06.21 at 1:45 am

#40 Adam on 08.05.21 at 6:27 pm

Today I learned that everyone apparently makes $160,000.

________________________________________

Well, duh ….. You do too, Adam.
Right? Adam?
Perhaps you’re hanging out on the wrong blog.

#88 Jane24 on 08.06.21 at 2:50 am

Canadian RE commissions like everything else in Canada are the highest costs in the world. I just sold a three bed bungalow in England. The RE agent charged me .9% to do the job, which is less than 1% and is all this job is worth. Selling houses in a boom and with modern internet is very easy.

The house sold for $735,000 Cdn and I paid £6615 Cdn Commission plus VAT (GST) so $7938 Cdn in total here in England. In Canada I would have paid $36,750 plus tax for the same service. Incredible costs, a yearly salary for many, for a very simple listing job. But Canadians pay it!

#89 Trudi Woods on 08.06.21 at 4:19 am

#90 Stacey on 08.06.21 at 5:50 am

mike from mtl when the real people who take care of things and get things done in the economy, society continue to purposely let things fall apart then we will see how the complete and total retard react.

They will be truly useless eaters. Look at the movie Idiocracy, this is what society if their lucky becomes. The world leaders and elite, power, control freaks are all laughing at us. Get a clue people.

#91 sick and tired of being treated as a fool on 08.06.21 at 6:14 am

Just like taxes, fiscal mismanagement and fiscal integrity destruction meaning massive, endless, government and business, consumer deficits, debt, overreach, regulation, job destroying policies from government, policy makers, it is never enough.

I am asking you all, 3, 5, 10, 20, 35 etc. how many vaccine shots are enough? How much can your bodies take? What about other mandatory medical treatments and medical procedures that are given with complete, rushed laws, policies will you accept. Are you willing to give up all your freedom, from movement to what you are eating everyday to what you can be buy, sell, who you can talk to, what you can say etc?

What about your family and their future? Are you just accepting that you are a slave and can’t do anything about it? Do you still believe in the fake belief that voting works anymore? Let’s get honest, we now live in a dictatorship, most likely socialist, communism the way things are going so do you want to wear the communist sign on your clothes? Do people have the ability to make a reasonable, informed decision anymore? Why do people believe they are going to make things better when every time government gets involved it always ends up worse? Good luck drinking the Kool aid because the only silver lining in this control dominated, they won’t leave people alone society is time runs out for everyone eventually and that can’t change that. Happy new year everyone 202, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025………….

#92 Goober on 08.06.21 at 6:20 am

#93 Trojan House on 08.06.21 at 7:18 am

#84 DON on 08.06.21 at 12:18 am

“Cases” doesn’t actually mean sick, you know, with actual symptoms, although we have been totally conditioned to think it does.

#94 The Real Goober on 08.06.21 at 8:05 am

#51 Devore
To your comment that there is no inverse to the saying of “Happy wife, happy life”, I’ve always responded with the more egalitarian motto of “Happy spouse, happy house”.

#95 TurnerNation on 08.06.21 at 8:18 am

Dolce Here is your Holy Trinity of shots. Mix ‘n match.

.FDA Covid-19 Vaccine Booster Plan Could Be Ready Within Weeks (wsj.com)

—–
All over a virus yes? Coming up into 2 years of this.

.Lifeline, Australia’s suicide prevention hotline, reaches record number of daily calls in all of its existence, as Australians feel the pressures of lockdowns. (abc.net.au)

.Melbourne lockdown begins anew as Australia battles outbreaks (washingtonpost.com)

.Australia borders: Citizens living overseas could be ‘trapped’ if they return(bbc.com)

— The “New System” is all about the. Never again must they know normalcy.
Smile?! Good luck with dating too (control over our breeding)

It’s scary seeing people in masks. That’s the point. Fear .
Is this to drive everyone online, and into the A.I. world?

“TDSB to open registration for virtual learning Thursday as it says kindergartners will have to wear masks”

.Salt Lake County Health Considers K-6 Mask Mandate (USA)

.NJ governor to require masks for K-12 students, school staff(bostonglobe.com)

.Minneapolis Public Schools To Require All Students, Staff, Visitors To Wear Masks (minnesota.cbslocal.com)

.Metro Nashville Public Schools to require masks for students, staff as COVID-19 surges once again (tennessean.com)

#96 NSNG on 08.06.21 at 8:25 am

@ #78 the mob on 08.05.21 at 11:28 pm

In 1906, Alfred Henry Lewis stated, “There are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy.”

#97 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 8:26 am

@#82 Ponzies Political Pal.
“That’s from someone who constantly calls our PM an Idiot.

++++

I dont believe I’ve ever used that particular word.
Very unimaginative and boring…like you..

You beloved PM could be best described as a dilettante, a poser, a pseudo feminist, an imposter, an intellectual midget.
I could go on but I dont want to overload your pre frontal cortex with starbursts of confusing adjectives.
Suffice to say in these politically correct nauseating times……
All my descriptions of the PM are far more appropriate words than “idiot” to accurately describe your hero.

#98 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 8:34 am

@#89 Trudi Woods
“#61 what is prudent to a husband may not be prudent to a wife…look no farther then Bill and Melinda Gates…”

+++

Exactly my point.

Bezos wife “earned” 2.5 billion dollars for every year she was married to hubby….. and within a year of her $57 BILLION dollar divorce settlement ….remarried.

Apparently she was so devastated by receiving all that money she just could live in those huge mansions…. all alone.

Poor Melinda Gates is in the same boat , errrr Yacht….

Once again I will state.
Dont blame any man in these legal times for asking someone for an objective opinion about their finances before marrying and buying a house…

THE two most important life changing decisions someone can make.
Until the divorce.

#99 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 8:41 am

@#92 Goober
“Anyone else notice these comments sections have gotten progressively wackier over the last year? I’ve pretty much stopped reading them. 90 percent of these are by total nutjobs”

+++

One would assume that you posted that comment so that you wouldnt read it yourself?

I once saw a T-shirt that said schizophrenics are never lonely.

#100 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 8:49 am

@#88 Jane24

God bless Jane.
Never fails to let everyone know how rich she is.
Sold the House in Blighty eh?
Brexit taxes got you worried?

Did you buy a Mansion in France?
Le Cote d’Azur?
Upgrading the Palace in the south of Italy?
Or moving it all to a mailbox number in Panama?
Inquiring minds at Revenue Canada want to know.

#101 Dharma Bum on 08.06.21 at 8:52 am

#92 Goober

Anyone else notice these comments sections have gotten progressively wackier over the last year? I’ve pretty much stopped reading them. 90 percent of these are by total nutjobs.
————————————————————————————

Define “pretty much”.

Liar.

#102 Kiril Peev on 08.06.21 at 9:02 am

Ottawa Real Estate Market Update for July 2021:

The Ottawa real estate market continues to moderate. Prices for detached homes, townhomes and condos all experienced a slight decline (2-5%) from a month ago. Days on market has increased from a month ago and the number of properties sold decreased from June 2021 levels.

On a year to year comparison prices are up about 18% for residential real estate. Historically July and August are slower months for real estate in Ottawa as people go to cottages and take vacations. There is usually an uptick in activity in September and October.

#103 Frankly I don't care on 08.06.21 at 9:10 am

I have a question, what do you do for a living Tunernation? I assume if you don’t answer you most likely work for some NGO, the UN or other government job which only makes the world more worse.

#104 IHCTD9 on 08.06.21 at 9:46 am

#98 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 8:34 am

Once again I will state.
____

I believe this is already on the go – although it’s probably a subconscious perception thing. Women who are well educated and employed today are MORE likely to get married than their lesser educated and employed peers. This is the opposite of what used to happen – since the beginning of time. These marriages are lasting longer too, as we see a drop in divorces among Millennials where this phenomena began.

To each their own, but I cringe at the old school idea of “a Woman’s place is in the home” you still occasionally hear variations of it out there. Today “a Woman’s place” is definitely at work”. Women today need to be bringing home the bacon, not cooking it. Things cost a lot – especially kids. Two incomes are now a *requirement*, not an option if you hope to live the Canadian dream.

#105 VladTor on 08.06.21 at 10:12 am

to #82 Ponzius Pilatus

…be best described as a dilettante, a poser, a pseudo feminist, an imposter, an intellectual midget

*************

I agree with you – our PM definitely not IDIOT. By the way any PM in any other countries – not idiot. Evidence? If somebody feeling him/her – self being not idiot – try to became PM. Create party (or join to existing) – pass election – elected as PM. Good luck!

Best describing our PM now – dilettante. We need professional politicians with huge experience and who care about ALL CANADIANS, not just a small group of his party or small group Canadians.

#106 KLNR on 08.06.21 at 10:13 am

@#92 Goober on 08.06.21 at 6:20 am

if thats the case, you’re missing out on a boatload of comedy.

#107 DON on 08.06.21 at 10:14 am

#93 Trojan House on 08.06.21 at 7:18 am
#84 DON on 08.06.21 at 12:18 am

********

All mentioned was that most of the cases were in the 20-40 year old range. I wasn’t implying anything…no hidden agenda…just a fact.

?????

#108 RichB!tch on 08.06.21 at 10:17 am

#100 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 8:49 am
@#88 Jane24

God bless Jane.
Never fails to let everyone know how rich she is.
=================

Weird how it bothers you so much that one can deduce from her comments she has money, but you never say a peep when your buddy SailAway, or any other male commenter, boasts about his wealth.

#109 NSNG on 08.06.21 at 10:17 am

When women entered the workplace in the ’60’s they basically just created twice as much money chasing the same consumer goods (especially housing) in our auction-based economic system.

So they caused the same goods to be twice as expensive. Prices today are based on two-income households. Single-income households are hooped.

#110 Icant Stop on 08.06.21 at 10:20 am

#92 Goober

I’ve also pretty much stopped reading the comments. I restrict myself to a maximum of 250 comments a day.

#91 …

You sound like my kind of woman.

#111 Good Luck on 08.06.21 at 11:00 am

I am hearing that just the Toronto portion of the land transfer tax will be raised to 4% on most properties and to 5% over the most expensive properties. Get ready to pay another $15,000 to $20,000 plus interest so really $30,000 to $40,000 by the time the mortgage is amortized 25 years+.

When the Ontario Liberals get in add another extra $30,000 to $40,000 in Ontario land transfer taxes on top of Toronto’s and you got $80,000 maybe more. Don’t forget your property tax, water rates, utility rates etc. increases and in short 5 years there goes another $100,000 down the government money drain. Good luck making money soon in Toronto, Canadian real estate.

#112 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.06.21 at 11:00 am

#97 CEF
JT my hero?
Nope.
He’s just an ordinary man trying to do his job.
Heroes are for Hollywood.

#113 Gregory on 08.06.21 at 11:04 am

Good Luck don’t forget the Federal Trudeau, Freeland Liberal government coming after your property with more taxes from GST/HST hike, capital gains taxes, higher capital gains taxes, carbon taxes going way up, who knows what other tax grabs they will apply to property owners.

#114 Mattl on 08.06.21 at 11:10 am

#71 NSNG on 08.05.21 at 10:43 pm
#62 Richard on 08.05.21 at 9:22 pm

402 new cases in the past 24 hours in BC as numbers sky rocket.

402 ‘cases’ (not deaths) out of a population of 4 million.

Oh the horror!

——————————————————-

Yup, better shut it all down. Some kids in Kelowna got Covid and Richard is scared.

#115 IHCTD9 on 08.06.21 at 11:24 am

#112 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.06.21 at 11:00 am
#97 CEF

JT my hero?
Nope.
He’s just an ordinary man trying to do his job.
____

Uh, no. He’s a silver spoon fed elite trust fund millionaire frat boi.

He knows about as much about the common wage earner as Trump does.

#116 Planetgoofy on 08.06.21 at 11:36 am

#79 mike from mtl on 08.05.21 at 11:46 pm
#71 NSNG on 08.05.21 at 10:43 pm

——————————————-
I said to the wife 10 months ago ” they will kick this BS can down the road forever”
Its a gift for a power grab, bring in new laws and controls among other things. New buzz words “build back better”
“follow the science” but nobodies on the same page.
Good thing were not in AUZ…
Vitamin D and Zinc work also many doctors have stated that.

#117 Michael in-north-york on 08.06.21 at 12:41 pm

#92 Goober on 08.06.21 at 6:20 am

===

Thanks to your comment, now it’s 91 percent.
And thanks to my comment, 92 percent.

#118 ts on 08.06.21 at 1:04 pm

#95 TurnerNation on 08.06.21 at 8:18 am

Salt Lake County Health Considers K-6 Mask Mandate (USA)

.NJ governor to require masks for K-12 students, school staff(bostonglobe.com)

.”As the Palm Beach County School Board affirms that it can’t mandate student masks due to an executive order by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, several teachers tell BocaNewsNow.com that they have other options in their teaching toolkits. ”We can incentivize students to do the right thing,” said an elementary school teacher in Boca Raton. “If we can’t order them to wear masks, we can certainly give awards an rewards to students who do.” Homework passes, small gifts from grab bags, independent assignments and even parties for kids who comply are all options teachers say they can utilize to push children to wear masks. ”Even if we can’t tell our students that they have to wear masks,” said a South Palm Beach County Middle School teacher, “we can make it clear to students who don’t that they’re missing out on activities, rewards and fun that other students get to take part in.” (BocaNewsNow.com)#95
=============================

If the US gov is so concerned about containing Covid, then why is Biden allowing illegal immigranst (a large percentage who have the virus) cross the US/Mexican border? Won’t this spread the virus (and possibly more dangerous variants) even more throughout the country? And yet, fully vaccinated Canadians are still restricted from traveling to the US unless for essential travel.

#119 Planetgoofy on 08.06.21 at 1:13 pm

#91 sick and tired of being treated as a fool on 08.06.21 at 6:14 am
/////////////////////
Yes you are correct. Just try to criticize your gov or even reach them for questioning of policies they slide through in the back room. T2 is hidden…Wiener dictator.
The frog doesn’t even know its being boiled.

#120 Love_The_Cottage on 08.06.21 at 1:35 pm

#91 sick and tired of being treated as a fool on 08.06.21 at 6:14 am

_________
What you talking about Willis? What country are you living in where medical treatments and procedures are mandatory?

How many vaccines? As many as medical professionals recommend that I decide to go ahead with. COVID? Yes. 2 so far. Expect there will be a booster at some point and once it’s been proven I’ll probably get it. Shingles? Nope, I’m fine that there is a vaccine but I’ll pass on that one.

#121 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 1:42 pm

@#115 IHCTD9
“He knows about as much about the common wage earner as Trump does.”

+++

Don’t bother trying to explain the most basic of concepts to Ponzie the Pugnacious.
His germanic roots make him impervious to any other train of thought
Trudeau can do no wrong…. no matter how many scandals he becomes embroiled in.

#122 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.06.21 at 1:42 pm

115 IHCTD9 on 08.06.21 at 11:24 am
#112 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.06.21 at 11:00 am
#97 CEF

JT my hero?
Nope.
He’s just an ordinary man trying to do his job.
____

Uh, no. He’s a silver spoon fed elite trust fund millionaire frat boi.

He knows about as much about the common wage earner as Trump does.
——————————
When you dine with the G7 leaders at the G7 Summit banquet, you gotta know which silver spoon is the desert spoon.
You don’t wanna be the laughing stock, like Trump was.

#123 Dragonfly 58 on 08.06.21 at 1:50 pm

Now is not the time to buy Fraser Valley property’s . I have never seen prices on hobby farms , even largely unimproved small acreages this disconnected from even top 20% incomes. Do multimillionaires really want to sit on properties for 30 plus years or similar potential for development timeline as a very long term investment ? Do they really think the crap pasture filled with overgrown blackberry’s and scrub Alders / Cottonwoods is going to attract a 5 star tenant ? Or perhaps it’s rent on the 35 year old mobile home slowly turning into compost that they expect will make the $8,000.00 a month payments ?
Wife and I have been itching to downsize house and slightly upsize land for almost a decade . 10 years ago $100,000.0 would have made it work but we couldn’t afford it at that time . Kids were still young and expensive. Today the same swap needs an additional Million – 1.5 Million. And we are not talking country estates here, just a modest home in reasonably good order and a couple of acres. And in a location where our grandkids would be the only ones left alive to perhaps benefit from advancing development.
Wife and I both have increasingly dependent, elderly parents locally so move to a different area is off the table for the foreseeable future. I guess we are just plain out of luck. Going to be too old to start fresh on a new piece of land before there is a likelihood of anything improving our chances of success.

#124 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.06.21 at 1:59 pm

@#108 RichB!tch
“Weird how it bothers you so much that one can deduce from her comments she has money,”
+++
Well the big difference being Sailio and others still grind it out here in Canuckda paying their taxes…

I’d say my annoyance comes not so much from the fact that she( an ex realtor and her developer husband) have money.
It’s the constant “letters to the colonialists” denigrating people who are still living in Canada ( “Why would anyone want to live there?”).
I’m sure her family LOVES when she deigns to visit the Great White North and remind them how stupid they all are.
The endless reminders of the properties in England and Italy ( god forbid you call the condo in Italy a condo…Its a pallazzo “palace” ).

The newly rich and their crass materialism.
Note to the newly rich
You cant buy class.

#125 Planetgoofy on 08.06.21 at 2:01 pm

What use to work well in a democratic free state was….
MINIMAL government and low taxes. We now have in your in your wallet and in your face gov. When the gov gets involved project either fail or costs balloon to the moon.1 of 100 failure I could list was FAST ferries….Dennis W. made out fine. Tax payers got screwed.
Small business’s have been crushed over the years.
They live on the margin and when an emerg arises theirs no slush fund / contingency plan. Its brings great stress to society in tough times.
I’ve had a number of business over the years and the amount of controls and regs are massive for a small guy starting out now.
The GOV policies continue to drive up the cost of doing business in a big way and that has to be past onto the consumer or you go broke. That’s why is shit so expensive…The budget will be balanced by 2070. LOL! We will have things happen you can’t even imagine by then. We are on a very unsustainable path as some policies are mad.
The only people to run any project are business people, as they have flesh in the game. Government’s should just Govern.

#126 IHCTD9 on 08.06.21 at 2:22 pm

#122 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.06.21 at 1:42 pm
115 IHCTD9 on 08.06.21 at 11:24 am
#112 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.06.21 at 11:00 am
#97 CEF

JT my hero?
Nope.
He’s just an ordinary man trying to do his job.
____

Uh, no. He’s a silver spoon fed elite trust fund millionaire frat boi.

He knows about as much about the common wage earner as Trump does.
——————————
You don’t wanna be the laughing stock, like Trump was.
——-

Well, I guess that makes Trump one step closer to us cavemen still gnawing raw meat off hand-held bones, compared to Trudeau.

If Trudeau ever came over to the bunker complex for dinner, he might go home hungry for lack of the silverware he is so used to.

I might have some Jägermeister in stock for him to drink, but he will have to slug it from the bottle…

#127 Planetgoofy on 08.06.21 at 2:40 pm

#128 Ustabe on 08.06.21 at 3:17 pm

One time, long ago, I was hitch hiking from Saskatoon to Calgary and was sort of stranded for a time. So I watched as a road grader with a chain flail came working its way up the road clearing the ditches and culvert openings.

Chain flail is like a weed whipper on steroids, at the end of an articulating arm ot takes down woody shrubs like they were never there and takes down small trees with maybe two passes.

Anyway, as he passes by me he sticks the flail into a mess of wild bushes that were at the end of a culvert only to hit the sun and summer heat bloated body of a road kill deer.

I can’t describe the stench other than to say my then girlfriend swore she could smell it on my back pack a week later when I returned to Saskatoon.

I thought that was the worst day of my life but I was wrong. I have read this blog’s comments and now I think I have cancer.

Some of you really need to assess your state of mind.

#129 Alex on 08.06.21 at 3:31 pm

“Enough with macroeconomics, politics or doing battle with unhinged anti-vaxers”.
Please be professional, stick to your own trade and STOP mixing pro-science people with antivaxers, EDUCATE yourself, there’s been enough parrots around there. One should worry why science is being shut down and smeared. How would you feel if you were banned for simply stating that finance minister is wrongin whatever he’s been doing? Or if they bann debating in the parliament? This is like the former Soviet Union, let’s hit the academics first and if they still complain, we’ll make an army of mediocre “academics”, and they will overvote. Educate yourself Garth, you’re an intelligent man, should be beyond anyone’s agenda.

Anti-vaxers and now ‘pro-science’? Interesting. But you’re still selfish, or a coward. And you will make this pandemic last longer. – Garth

#130 Linda on 08.06.21 at 3:52 pm

#48 ‘I’m’ – with you on this one. GIS rules are very clear. IF you make too much they will claw back the GIS benefit. This applies to any taxable income from any source including EI benefits, so have a difficult time understanding how anyone already receiving GIS ‘was confused’ about the effect getting CERB would have on their GIS supplement. At least it sounds like the guy complaining actually used the $ he received from CERB to pay down debt & cover his essential bills. No dirt bike or cell phone purchases there! However I also noted there were no $ set aside to pay taxes with. Ouch. Of course, if said individual qualifies for GIS chances are any tax owing will be zero or very minimal at most. And who knows? Maybe JT will wave the magic wand & make that pesky problem go away, just as he did when folks started complaining of having to pay back CERB benefits they didn’t actually qualify for.

#131 Alex on 08.06.21 at 3:54 pm

I am selfish for listening to the science?! Are you actually aware what and who might make this pandemic last longer? I would recommend you do some reading and then comment directly to the person, unless you’re coward?

#132 Government on 08.06.21 at 4:24 pm

Love_The_Cottage, I don’t know. I think what this poster is getting at is why would they just stop with Covid. I heard a week ago that they are coming out with a depression vaccine, new cancer vaccines, etc. This may mean that for every possible disease now they want to vaccinate instead of giving pills or both.

Alot of new meds are injections not pills. They last for a week, a month maybe more. As for covid, they might just make it every 6 months for the rest of your life. What about new variants, strains coming out. This looks like it could be stretched out for many years or worse, longer. Vaccinated people are still getting it too.

Another thing that makes me think is now with them coming out with vaccine passports, certificates, it is if they are going to be making alot of records to keep so it is like your income taxes pretty soon lots of information. It is not temporary but permanent and it gets worse and worse. We all know about administration and bureaucracy with healthcare and governemnt gets out of hand and causes alot of problems.

There is to much of a power grab by government, agencies etc. I know people don’t like to hear this but it really looks like everything else they do, it looks more and more like a slippery slope. You give them an inch they take a mile. It does not look good.

#133 Sheesh on 08.06.21 at 5:30 pm

#129 Alex on 08.06.21 at 3:31 pm

——————

Sorry Alex. Legitimate scientific debate happens within the scientific community, not on YouTube or FB.