Why

Three sleeps until I meet Arysha.

She was born in Russia, bred and shipped to America. By three she’d had two litters and was acquired by a Canadian military vet with a passion for the breed. The cross-border dog trade is a big one, pandemics be damned. By then she’d been chipped and registered in the States. Turns out the Canadian canine cops would not accept her creds. Future puppies would be offbook. And so Arysha became a free agent.

Perhaps you’ve noticed how dogs romp daily through this blog. It’s hard to recall exactly when, in the 14-year history of this weird site the symbolism emerged. But it seemed inevitable in a world where, deep down, people are shallow. We chase wealth, celebrate greed and are relentlessly materialistic. The real estate mania. Unearned net worth. Riding a meme stock or a crypto. Routinely people confuse investing with gambling and celebrate their gain at another’s expense. In the world of money, life is a contest. You win, or you’re a failure.

Dogs don’t get this. Jealousy, avarice and disdain are unknowns in their world. They live in the moment. Death is an abstraction. Possessions have no value compared to those things which matter – companionship, play, devotion and duty. As I age my conclusion is dogs have principles. People have ambitions. Dogs follow instincts. We are slaves to emotion. They are consistent. We flounder.

Thus dogs have come to rule here. Seems we have much to learn as a species. For all of our wisdom and prowess we still spend entire lives chasing inconsequential goals and measure success with bent yardsticks. The goal of life is not a house. Experience means more than stuff. Freedom is precious. Loyalty and truth matter. Relationships above all. If you bond with one true friend in life, you are wealthy.

It’s said dogs can live short, full lives since no time’s wasted learning to be good. It’s innate. Not all of them are sociable, of course. Some are taught by humans to be mean, fierce or territorial but they are exceptions. They did not come that way.

It’s been seven months since my friend left. I decided to walk every day imagining he was still by my side, in that slow, old-dog shuffle. So thankful for all those years, but every step hurts. It’s time.

About the picture: “Love the blog, it’s fantastic. The advice has kept me out of the housing market, invested, and as I turn 30 this year I feel comfortable with my life,” writes Matt. “It’s also led my fiancée into a change of thinking, believing now that renting and having money for fun is better than being tied to a house. Here’s a picture of Sandy. She is 2 1/2 years old, a rescued Arabian Village Dog from Kuwait. That means she’s basically just a wild dog… but as you can see, having gotten her since she was six months old, there is definitely not much wild left about her!”

#1 ogdoad on 06.16.21 at 12:17 pm

Congrats! Many happy walks!

Og

#2 Doug t on 06.16.21 at 12:17 pm

Arysha is beautiful

#3 My Body My Choice on 06.16.21 at 12:17 pm

Feels like it’s gonna be a Dog Day Afternoon.

#4 CJohnC on 06.16.21 at 12:18 pm

Good for you. Everybody needs a dog in their lives.

#5 Ballingsford on 06.16.21 at 12:20 pm

Congratulations Garth! You’ll once again have a companion on your walks!

#6 DON on 06.16.21 at 12:20 pm

I just hugged my dogs…

Good post Garth.

#7 None on 06.16.21 at 12:22 pm

I thought this blog post was going to be about Canadian inflation being at 3.6% That’ll be ruff on new homeowners barely keeping their heads above water on a 2% mortgage

#8 crowdedelevatorfartz on 06.16.21 at 12:25 pm

A walking companion.
Fun stuff.
That dog has no idea how lucky it is.
However, just to be on the safe side….
I think Turner Nation should do a background check on the Russian rescue dog to make sure there aren’t a few extra micro chips embedded……
Dont want this site hacked.

#9 zxcvbnm on 06.16.21 at 12:28 pm

I’ve had bad dogs and I don’t think it was anybody’s fault. Sometimes they’re just wired funny. Pitbulls, for instance, have some wiring issues that I believe makes them dangerous to own – even when well “trained.”

#10 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 12:30 pm

Excellent, Garth. Enjoy your new companion. Install some rubber in the tugboat for gription.

#11 Travelbug on 06.16.21 at 12:31 pm

I know exactly how you feel, Garth. The longest time that my hubby and I have been without a dog was just about year. Then we caved in and got another “rescue” and a year later we got her a playmate. So now we have two dogs again and our family feels complete. We wish you and Dorothy lots of fun with your new furry friend. Walks are just not the same without a dog, right?

#12 earthbounmisfit on 06.16.21 at 12:34 pm

Full marks for today’s post Garth. Bonus points for going the rescue route.

#13 Soviet Capitalist on 06.16.21 at 12:38 pm

Congratulations, Garth!

#14 Bezengy on 06.16.21 at 12:38 pm

Lucky dog, won the “best dog owner ever” lottery.

#15 hwy_str on 06.16.21 at 12:44 pm

She has very smart eyes! She is lucky to have a new human like you, Garth.

24 more sleeps for me until I get a new best friend, hope he will like it here.

#16 paulo on 06.16.21 at 12:45 pm

In Ontario properties are currently assessed at 2016 fair market value levels, excepting ones that had changes in assessment due to additions or description changes. the vast majority are due to be re-assesed and increased in assessment to 2021 fair market value. this will likely translate into a 2 or more fold increase in property taxes for most property owners in Ontario! and they thought getting into a realatard engineered bid war to buy it was smart ummmm … what else could go wrong?

#17 Felix's human on 06.16.21 at 12:47 pm

I don’t get it.

I have to go now. Felix needs me.

#18 paulo on 06.16.21 at 12:47 pm

Congrats on the new buddy garth enjoy!

#19 Classical Liberal Millennial on 06.16.21 at 12:50 pm

Happy for the Turners. Happy for that lucky dog! A good day.

#20 TurnerNation on 06.16.21 at 12:52 pm

A mail-order Russian Dog. Now I’ve seen it all. ;-)

#21 Dolce Vita on 06.16.21 at 12:58 pm

Canem fiduciam.

Aeternum.

——–

Bravo Garth.

#22 wendi11 on 06.16.21 at 1:00 pm

Well, you made me smile…

I don’t know how I would have managed this last year and half without my dog. Hope yours gets used to the new household quickly, and vice versa.

#23 Russ on 06.16.21 at 1:02 pm

The wife & I have been going for walks often since the beginning of Covid-19. We have a dam park nearby and typically walk for 60 – 90 minutes.

She really like the off-lease wooded section of the park. :)

Cheers, R

#24 Picture Perfect! on 06.16.21 at 1:05 pm

#18 Adam on 06.15.21 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for picking my picture Garth! We bought a house in a dog park specifically for our pups, strange request for our realtor to hunt down but they do exist.

___________________________________________

Adam, absolutely adored your picture yesterday! I had a very similar dog many years ago (many, many)…. coloring was nearly identical.

Would you be so kind as to provide me with a high res version of this pic for my screensaver? Thanks.

#25 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 1:09 pm

There are few things more satisfying than watching a dog’s pure, unbridled passion for their instinctual job. Bird hunting, in the case of ours.

Also lathering their chin in the freshest, slimiest cow patty, then coating the undercarriage by powering through using back legs, with a final, full-body roll for maximum coverage. So endearing. Go give momma a kiss.

#26 Sara on 06.16.21 at 1:11 pm

Awwe. Great post Garth. Happy to see you have opened your heart to a new canine friend. Arysha is one lucky dog! And very sweet looking.

#27 Roial1 on 06.16.21 at 1:12 pm

Score ONE for me.
Just as I predicted, GOTCHA! New dog.
Back a few months ago I said you would start looking for him/her.

My puppy is now a 90lb. Monster and my girl is 65lb. of love and affection. Oh, he’s loving too but WOW what a scamp.

He and she are beautiful examples of “Guard dog” they look ferocious but the big secret is, (Shhh) They are a pair of butter balls. too friendly to a fault.

If you think from this that I love them, you are right.

Best of life Garth.

#28 SnowOwl on 06.16.21 at 1:25 pm

I am happy for you, Garth,
Enjoy for many more years to come!

#29 Adam Smith on 06.16.21 at 1:26 pm

We don’t deserve dogs.

#30 Dr V on 06.16.21 at 1:27 pm

16 Paulo

” the vast majority are due to be re-assesed and increased in assessment to 2021 fair market value. this will likely translate into a 2 or more fold increase in property taxes for most property owners in Ontario! ”

——————-

Paulo – please refer to the above for the concept of “mill rate”.

I own in BC. Despite my assessed value going up, then down, then up again over 18 years, I have never seen a decrease in my property taxes. They simply adjust the mill rate so that the total amount of taxes desired is achieved.

#31 Freedom First on 06.16.21 at 1:27 pm

Garth, I am happy for you! Lucky dog.
Love, and concur with your posting today!

Freedom First

#32 Scratching the surface on 06.16.21 at 1:28 pm

“But it seemed inevitable in a world where, deep down, people are shallow.”

____________________________________________

That’s absolute rubbish! You don’t even have to scrape the surface to see how shallow most people are!

#33 Richard L on 06.16.21 at 1:35 pm

Good things about Garth:

– He hates Adele
– He hates Drake
– He thinks Real Estate is overvalued

Bad things about Garth

– He loves dogs

#34 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 1:42 pm

#32 Scratching the surface on 06.16.21 at 1:28 pm

“But it seemed inevitable in a world where, deep down, people are shallow.”

——–

——–

Haha, yep. I personally start off shallow and… actually, that’s all of it.

#35 unbalanced on 06.16.21 at 1:43 pm

You deserve it. Good for you. The guy that use to yell at you will have a bird!

#36 AO1 on 06.16.21 at 1:57 pm

We can all use some dog time now and then, good for the soul, and the blood pressure, congrats.

#37 TheSpangler on 06.16.21 at 2:10 pm

That’s awesome Garth! Congrats to you and Arysha!

#38 Biggest Guelph Fan on 06.16.21 at 2:17 pm

I’m not as familiar with breeds as some other blog dogs….what type of dog is she Garth?

Chow Chow. – Garth

#39 Ballingsford on 06.16.21 at 2:18 pm

#23 Russ on 06.16.21 at 1:02 pm

She really like the off-lease wooded section of the park. :)

Cheers, R

*****

You are a special guy! Not too many guys would take their wife to the dog park and let her run in the woods for 60-90 minutes.

You’ll have a long and happy marriage!

#40 604sam on 06.16.21 at 2:22 pm

If you don’t think dogs have a capacity for jealousy, you should see how much my Boston whines when I pet a strange dog

#41 The Awakened One on 06.16.21 at 2:22 pm

Nice to hear this great news, Garth.

There’s only one truth: impermanence permeates our existence, Every Single day is precious, as we might be the only one true marvel of this universe after all – please watch The Privileged Planet documentary:

And dogs make it even more meaningful.
Arysha seems a cuddly one! Tickle her tummy for me. :o)

#42 household built on 06.16.21 at 2:26 pm

Woof, woof,,, Wonderful news…

#43 mellyschu on 06.16.21 at 2:30 pm

Welcome Arysha! You just won the lottery of life, one of which all animals deserve!
Pure non-judgement love – my what animals can teach out if we allow them to!

#44 Billy Buoy on 06.16.21 at 2:34 pm

No rate hikes (IF EVER) til 2023.

Even MORE bluffing by the FED on tapering and raising interest rates.

They are 100% completely stuck in a corner and have ZERO TOOLS left..

BUY AWAY, INFLATION FOREVER>

#45 Chameleon on 06.16.21 at 2:34 pm

Congratulations Garth. Moving post today. As I keep saying, humans do have it backward more often than not in everything we do. Examples are endless.

#20 TurnerNation – you owe me for dry cleaning (beverage on shirt)

Here is a dog rant articles for you non-dog owners….

#46 cramar on 06.16.21 at 2:51 pm

Wow! I kind of thought that after Bandit, it would be enough for your lifetime. But no, the void inside was too strong. Congrats! Arysha has found a forever home!

We went through the same a few years back. It was such a traumatic experience losing a beloved companion, I didn’t want to go through it again. Plus the freedom of not worrying about a dog when you want to travel. But that lasted all of 9 months, then the pull was too strong. As I told someone a few years back, the grief when a furry companion rapidly grows old and dies is something I don’t ever want to go through again, BUT it is outweighed by being able to give another rescue a perfect home for the remainder of their short life. Giving them finally the love they never received before being discarded, is worth it!

#47 Summertime on 06.16.21 at 2:54 pm

Inflation shows up:

Annual inflation rate climbs to 3.6 per cent in May, highest in a decade

According to Kyle Bass/he is a billionaire/ the actual inflation is 12 %:

One wonders for how much longer will the people on fix income take it from here on.

And how will the fact that inflation is ‘transitory’ warm you up in the winter or help you with the skyrocketing food priced.

#48 Brunett43 on 06.16.21 at 3:10 pm

I love this blog. Garth, you give excellent advice. I come here from time to time to see what all the fuss is about. I’m well diversified with my investments, roughly 720k. I’m mortgage free with zero debt. But I must confess I love DOGS more! I recently lost my 19yr old Jack Russel. She was my lil buddy. But after a couple of weeks of dead silence in this house, I gave in and bought another pup. Ripley, believe it or not, is a great companion. My mate has his own shack. I allow him to visit on weekends…lol. Life is GOOD.

#49 SOMETHINGS UP!! on 06.16.21 at 3:12 pm

9 Months ago my wife picked up this 10lbs pup from a close cousin.

Now this 95lbs Cane Corso cuddles next to me when I go to sleep every night. It is obvious he thinks i’m his teddy bear.

I am truly blessed.

#50 Canadian Peso on 06.16.21 at 3:13 pm

Why are my Loonies losing value to the USD and used Kijiji puppies for sale scam?

#51 Pricedoutmillenial on 06.16.21 at 3:22 pm

Congrats Garth!

Thanks for all the Philosophical Investment advice!! Helps in staying grounded and not to lose sight of the big picture.

#52 SimplyPut7 on 06.16.21 at 3:23 pm

Congrats on the new dog!

#53 CrazyAsAFox on 06.16.21 at 3:23 pm

Respect. Got my first puppy 6 months ago aged 52 (me not the dog!). Life is never boring looking after a bundle of energy. It was a new lease on life with all the gloom going on.

#54 Barb on 06.16.21 at 3:24 pm

Oh thank goodness, Garth, that Arysha’s coming!!!!!
I know what you and Dorothy have been going through since Bandit left…we feel it every day since Kia’s passing (now 5 years).

Soon there’ll be a thumping tail on the floor whenever you enter the room, when you step out of the shower, when you come back to the TV room with a hard-earned drink…

She’s a beauty. You’ll be up early on Saturday to welcome her. Bet you’ll be calling her Ari in no time.

But your roof’s Canada Day celebration will be hard on her…

#55 James on 06.16.21 at 3:24 pm

So sad losing your dog. Garth I know how you feel. My dog is a Belgian Malinois and he is a flunky. He failed police training early and was never moved into the blue system. When they fail police training its up to the police to either internally adopt them or they offer them up for adoption. A good friend of ours in the police department told me about the dog and we were very lucky to get him. He failed due to one main reason, he was not aggressive enough on command and only wanted to play. I cherish every day in the morning and evening when we go for a a walk.
Dogs never lie!

#56 CL on 06.16.21 at 4:05 pm

Amen! I have read your blog for a long time and, while they have all been great to learn from (does that qualify as a MSU?), this is by far the best. About the dogs, yes, but more about your human nature comments.

After losing a child that lived for a few short years in the 90’s, everything changed and it left me way on the outside of life looking in regarding my views and experiences in life for the reasons you have stated above. If people only *truly* understood where we all end up…at any time….maybe the shallow pursuits would change. But, that is fantasy and, as I have said before, human nature will never change.

Be a dog, live in the moment. Cherish life not meaningless things.

Anyways, great post.

#57 Duffy on 06.16.21 at 4:06 pm

So true, dogs are consistent and don’t need to share their opinions, just two of the many qualities dogs have that I truly appreciate.
Some days barking is quieter than the human voice.
Silence is the perfect sound.

#58 Faron on 06.16.21 at 4:20 pm

I hope you three enjoy each other’s new company! She’s got a sweet smile.

Our old guy keeps getting older. I’ve only known him for 3 years and losing him is unbearable to think about. I can’t imagine how attached you and Bandit must have been. Here’s to a new chapter.

#59 Victoria on 06.16.21 at 4:21 pm

Good for you. You are going to have a great time. Lovely dog.

#60 Felix on 06.16.21 at 4:31 pm

Exactly.

“Why” would anyone get a dog?

#61 Faron on 06.16.21 at 4:31 pm

#112 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 12:53 pm

…when the top dog has already doing all of that for years.

I has already mowing the lawn for weeks. Grass make tall growing.

#62 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 06.16.21 at 4:33 pm

Arysha is going to heaven on earth with Garth and Dorothy

Dogs are great
beer is good
people are crazy

#63 Danger Dan on 06.16.21 at 4:35 pm

Garth, enjoy the companionship of your new friend in good health!

#64 NSNG on 06.16.21 at 4:42 pm

Garth is just not complete without someone to growl at.

#65 TurnerNation on 06.16.21 at 4:57 pm

We remember a stretch when this weblog focused more on Bike, Babes, (and Balanced Portfolios) and the pictures reflected, thusly.

#66 Penny Henny on 06.16.21 at 5:09 pm

Dogs don’t get this. Jealousy, avarice and disdain are unknowns in their world.-GT

////////////

Dogs always seem jealous of the toy/ball/stick in the other dogs mouth.

BTW- I/we are waiting on a final ok for a rescue from Turkey. Fingers crossed.

#67 Scott on 06.16.21 at 5:09 pm

Congrats Garth, you might need another vacuum cleaner though.

#68 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 5:13 pm

#61 Faron on 06.16.21 at 4:31 pm
#112 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 12:53 pm

…when the top dog has already doing all of that for years.

——–

I has already mowing the lawn for weeks. Grass make tall growing.

——–

Much happy. Chlorophyll.

#69 Penny Henny on 06.16.21 at 5:14 pm

will this be your first dog that is not named Bandit?

#70 Shirl Clarts on 06.16.21 at 5:16 pm

She’s so cute! She’s going to fall in love when she sees your face!

#71 Lisa on 06.16.21 at 5:22 pm

Welcome to Canada Arysha, and congratulations, you landed a good one.

#72 wallflower on 06.16.21 at 5:29 pm

My annual visit to my sled-dog rescue buddy (owned by a relative in woods in high north, Ontario) is met by a bazooka welcome. No other human gets this welcome. In fact, they are ignored.

This soul-mate darling’s life is one of terminal routine, which he adores (freedom to roam acres; daily trots to the pond; muskrat hunting and the occasional skunkaroo) … but… my visit brings the promise of beer and pizza and THAT was a discovery of momentous occasion some years back for this ex-sled-dog.

Hence, my bazooka welcome.
And then we get down to business: beer and pizza.
Universal instinct?

#73 Greg on 06.16.21 at 5:30 pm

Used to go fishing Kamloops trout with our golden. Everybody on the lake knew when I had a fish on. What a racket! If the fish jumped, the dog was gone, jumping out the boat, trying to do its duty. Good times.

#74 Ballingsford on 06.16.21 at 5:34 pm

#60 Felix on 06.16.21 at 4:31 pm
Exactly.

“Why” would anyone get a dog?

********

Tax strategy. You can claim them as a dependent and write off their food and vet bills.

#75 Ponzius Pilatus on 06.16.21 at 5:44 pm

From Russia with Love.

#76 Faron on 06.16.21 at 5:53 pm

#66 Penny Henny on 06.16.21 at 5:09 pm

////////////

Dogs always seem jealous of the toy/ball/stick in the other dogs mouth.

You mean envy Penny. Unless your dog wants to be the toy/ball/stick in the other dog’s mouth which isn’t impossible.

#77 DM in C on 06.16.21 at 5:54 pm

Congrats!

We have two dogs, one 13 and one a year old. Did some back of the napkin math and for pet insurance, grooming, food, training and toys, we kick out approx $750/month for them.

Worth it.

#78 Winterpeg on 06.16.21 at 5:57 pm

I had missed the post about Bandit’s passing. Sorry for your loss. :(
Another lovely Chow. Congratulations.
Welcome Arysha.

#79 UmiouiuS on 06.16.21 at 5:58 pm

Garth, a lovely post to-day.

And I betcha you and Dorothy believe, as do we here,
that your dear pup Arysha arrives to share your lives,
not at all by coincidence.

Bandit agreed it was time. And orchestrated the meet.

What comes to mind, are these last lines from the song, ‘Nature Boy’:

The greatest thing
You’ll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return

(Unconditionally, by our pets.)

#80 KLNR on 06.16.21 at 6:28 pm

friend of mine adopted a Caribbean rescue recently.
with so many (and more to come) local rescue dogs in need of good homes why go out of country?

#81 Under the radar on 06.16.21 at 6:35 pm

Congrats Garth , you did good. Below I found this years back
To a poor and lonely stray I’d give:

My happy home.
My bowl, cozy bed, soft pillows and all my toys.
The lap which I loved so much.
The hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice which spoke my name.
I’d will to the sad scared shelter dog the place I had in my human’s heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So when I die please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and pain is more than I can stand.” Instead go find an unloved dog; one whose life has held no joy or hope and give MY place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…the love I left behind.

#82 Cici on 06.16.21 at 6:38 pm

#56 CL

Wow, that was intensely profound.

Thanks for sharing.

#83 Nonplused on 06.16.21 at 6:41 pm

Congrats on the new dog, Garth. May you have many happy walks together.

Today I saw the after care kids next door trying to fly a hapless kite. My son had 2 of them fancy kites which he is no longer interested in, so I repurposed them. The little kids could hardly contain themselves when they saw me coming. The kites are flying again, after so many years in the garage. It was worth it just to see the smiles and hear the laughter. Some things can’t be measured in money. Plus it is one more thing out of the garage.

#84 NoName on 06.16.21 at 6:47 pm

I can already see Aryaha being excellent companion. All the best!

#85 Salutations Sally on 06.16.21 at 6:56 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy! You’ll be enslaved in no time, going for walks, rubbing tummy’s and cooing once again, good on ya!

#86 Peppy Sue on 06.16.21 at 6:58 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy- she’s a beauty.

#87 Carla on 06.16.21 at 7:05 pm

Congratulations, Garth and Dorothy!

Beautiful vessel of unconditional love!

#88 just a dude on 06.16.21 at 7:05 pm

Garth

Wonderful post today – thank you.

Congrats on the upcoming new addition to the family. I hope Arysha brings you as much joy and companionship as did Bandit. All the best!

#89 The Spectre on 06.16.21 at 7:05 pm

The wisest men to ever walk on Earth once said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Kids and dogs, models to the humankind.

#90 Island guy on 06.16.21 at 7:08 pm

Congrats Garth. We took the plunge again last June after 3 lonely years without a dog. So glad we did!
May she bring many years of love to you and Dorothy.

#91 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 7:21 pm

#83 Nonplused on 06.16.21 at 6:41 pm

——–

Yeah, neighbour kids are the best. Put anything out by the road and they’ll take it.

Anecdote time: One fine summer day while I was doing outdoor assembly, my 8 and 9 year old kids for some reason thought it would be fun to drag my tool buckets out to the road and put a ‘FREE’ sign on them. I noticed a parked car and just rescued them in the nick of time. Yeesh.

#92 Honeybee on 06.16.21 at 7:27 pm

Thank you Garth.
I have tears in my eyes.
I miss my pooch who passed a year ago.

#93 Northone on 06.16.21 at 7:34 pm

Congrats!

Bandit would approve

Dogs make us whole

Thanks

#94 Love_The_Cottage on 06.16.21 at 7:43 pm

“Tell me the age of the CEO of the company, and I’ll tell you their views on returning to the office and work from home. It is clearly a generational issue.”

Experience augments wisdom. – Garth

#95 Nonplused on 06.16.21 at 7:45 pm

And back to the craziness:

#96 leebow on 06.16.21 at 8:16 pm

Since she’s Russian, Arysha is diminutive for Arina, which is a form of Eirene, the Greek goddess of peace.

#97 binky barnes on 06.16.21 at 8:18 pm

That was a very nice blog Garth. Enjoy your new friend, sir.

BB

#98 Gulf Breeze on 06.16.21 at 8:20 pm

Love the rescue dog, Sandy. She is very sweet and attentive looking. She looks like she has some german shepherd mixed in with a few other breeds?

There is no better feeling than rescuing someone, be they human, dog, cat, bird, rat, guinea pig.

Arysha is a beautiful dog and looks like it was worth it for you to wait and find the perfect dog for you and a breed you are familiar with. Chows are self contained but loving.

I have had two miniature schnauzers who were both sweet, super bright and sensible dogs…but self contained as well. They are very easy keepers. They don’t have to be patted every waking moment.

Is Arysha spayed or will there be more ‘chow chow bambinos?’

#99 Yukon Elvis on 06.16.21 at 8:30 pm

I need to re-home a dog. It’s a small terrier, and tends to bark a lot. If anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll jump over my neighbor’s fence and get it for you.’

#100 Joseph R. on 06.16.21 at 8:51 pm

I just can only write I could write like this:

“The Two-Headed Calf”
by Laura Gilpin

Tomorrow when the farm boys find this
freak of nature, they will wrap his body
in newspaper and carry him to the museum.

But tonight he is alive and in the north
field with his mother. It is a perfect
summer evening: the moon rising over
the orchard, the wind in the grass.
And as he stares into the sky, he sees
twice as many stars as usual.

The Weight of a Soul, 2008

#101 statsfreak on 06.16.21 at 8:53 pm

Oh, Garth, I am so happy for you and Dorothy! Arysha is beautiful and will figure out pretty darn quick that she has landed with her bum in butter getting the two of you for her new forever family. Maybe we should take up a collection for the groomer fees, I bet that coat is a full one day job – LOL :D

#102 Wrk.dover on 06.16.21 at 8:55 pm

Wanna know how to bark?

I’ve cracked the code!

Do it on the inhale, pull air in as you make the noise.

Beagle mimics especially, will fool any dog.

#103 Habitt on 06.16.21 at 9:06 pm

Best wishes to you and Dorothy with your newest best friend. Great post as well. Thanks eh

#104 Tyberius on 06.16.21 at 9:11 pm

A dog from Russia?

Are you sure you can trust her? I’d look closely at her papers as she could’ve been involved in helping Trump get elected in 2016 – according to Hilliary, anyway.

Congrats anyway – looks like a winning team.

#105 Km on 06.16.21 at 9:12 pm

Part of this is exactly what I was telling my daughter today. We live in a world focused on money and stuff and very little loyalty. I want her to go against the crowd and be the opposite even if it means unpopularity as she will be happier in the long run. Dogs have the right of it.

#106 Nonplused on 06.16.21 at 9:19 pm

#91 Sail Away on 06.16.21 at 7:21 pm
#83 Nonplused on 06.16.21 at 6:41 pm

————————–

I’d have made them sit there with the “Free” sign taped to their chest for an hour or two. I know, bad dad, but don’t give away my tools, you little brats.

#107 Nonplused on 06.16.21 at 9:26 pm

#104 Tyberius on 06.16.21 at 9:11 pm
A dog from Russia?

Congrats anyway – looks like a winning team.

——————————————–

So the dog is an American Patriot without having set foot on American soil? Cool. This dog just seems better and better. Always trust Garth to make the right decision.

#108 Leigh W Becker on 06.16.21 at 9:30 pm

Way to go Garth. I couldn’t go very long without a doggie or two by my side.

#109 Peter on 06.16.21 at 9:40 pm

A huge congrats on your new family member! I am getting my new pup on Saturday myself. I lost my guy 2 years ago and I still think of him often.

#110 Steve French on 06.16.21 at 9:43 pm

Sir Garth:

I hope you are comforted by the idea that Bandit is up above the clouds.

In heaven….

…with the Smoking Man.

Steve

#111 David Greene on 06.16.21 at 10:25 pm

Ha hah. I see what you did there. Nice pun for a Real Estate blog.

—————————————-
#23 Russ on 06.16.21 at 1:02 pm

She really like the off-lease wooded section of the park. :)

Cheers, R

#112 David Greene on 06.16.21 at 10:26 pm

Could someone please define “MSU”.

To me, it means “mid-stream urine” sample.

Honestly, not everyone knows every single acronym bandied about on here all the time.

#113 Genbizx on 06.16.21 at 10:27 pm

Well said Garth

#114 Tri state pat on 06.16.21 at 10:45 pm

I take care of 3 cats. Long story. Not my choice (kinda). But it’s not that bad. One acts just like a dog! Hmmmmmm…

#115 Robert Ash on 06.16.21 at 11:00 pm

Congrats… and good on you and Dorothy… Garth,.. for helping a Furry Friend. Dogs, Cats, any Pet friends are so good to have as companions. Welcome to the Great White Canadian north Arysha!

#116 John Brydle on 06.16.21 at 11:21 pm

Congratulations Garth. Arysha is a very lucky dog to have your love and companionship.

#117 Al on 06.16.21 at 11:26 pm

What a great Russian name – Ариша

#118 Karl hungus on 06.17.21 at 12:37 am

“freedom is precious”

Ya, well, you can achieve this through buying a house as well

#119 Jon B on 06.17.21 at 12:59 am

“freedom is precious” yes it is, I totally agree. I also believe I’m among a small minority of Canadians in having this opinion. The lockdowns revealed much about how personal freedom is so easily surrendered when a bit of fear leaks into the newsfeed.

#120 O=E+R on 06.17.21 at 1:18 am

Arysha!
Congratulations! So happy for you.

Outcome=Event + Response

#121 Flamed out in Kitchener on 06.17.21 at 4:54 am

Beautiful post today Garth, and so true. We are truly happy for you and Dorothy. A wonderful new friend to enjoy the times ahead. A walk with your dog is the best part of every day. Congratulations.

#122 Chucker Cumberbatch on 06.17.21 at 6:30 am

Invitation Homes – Regional house-lease corp with over one million houses . Makes Canadian choice pretty narrow by comparison. Another big concept in the US which I think will become popular in Canada is the Sale- Leaseback. The basic model is roughly similar to the Uber Ripoff Reverse Mortgage scheme. Difference is that the buyer sets the sale price, leases the house back to you and offers the option to repurchase your home within 18 months.

PS: Dog breeders don’t breed a bitch a third time. The litters become runt prone and don’t make the cut for registration.

#123 Congrats! on 06.17.21 at 6:39 am

I’m so happy for you Garth. Congratulations!

NOW, can I buy you a bottle of scotch?!

#124 Doomsday Preppar on 06.17.21 at 6:45 am

MSU=“Mandatory suck up”

Hope she gets her limelight anyways…
Congrats on the new pal Garth!

#125 Citizen on 06.17.21 at 7:16 am

Hi Garth,

A touching post. We just said goodbye to our beautiful Kaia this past weekend. Your words helped me to believe our connection to these creatures are important and very real.
I know the world is a more peaceful place because of Kaia. I would like to think she had that same effect on me too.

#126 Sail Away on 06.17.21 at 8:10 am

Looking for your next car? Check out this Model S Plaid sedan wiping the road with noisy Porsches and Mclarens:

And with summer here again, a Tesla is worth it for dog mode alone.

#127 crowdedelevatorfartz on 06.17.21 at 8:18 am

@#124 Doomsday Prepper forgot the Pepper

“I left out my “msu” when I sent Garth a pic of my new pup Maggie May in her very own swimming pool, and thus I have yet to see her pic grace these pathetic pages.”

++++

Thats a double “MSU”.
Even more pathetic than these pages.

#128 crowdedelevatorfartz on 06.17.21 at 8:27 am

@#112 David Yellowhands

“Could someone please define “MSU”.
To me, it means “mid-stream urine” sample.”

++++

Freudian undertones.
And I thought I was a tad disturbed.
MSU could be Maine State University…but it isnt.
MSU could be Money, Stocks, Up…but it isnt.
MSU could be Major Suck Up

#129 Jenn on 06.17.21 at 8:29 am

Garth, I’m so happy that you have found a new dog to join your side on those walks. I look forward to more pictures. She is a lucky one to have found you and Dorothy. I hope that you have many wonderful years together. Thanks for today’s blog, I love the life perspective and may have had a little tear reading it.

#130 Dharma Bum on 06.17.21 at 9:21 am

“As I age my conclusion is dogs have principles. People have ambitions. Dogs follow instincts. We are slaves to emotion. They are consistent. We flounder.” – Garth
—————————————————————————-

“I don’t hate people. I just seem to feel better when they’re not around.” – Charles Bukowski

#131 thesecondcomingofjohngalt on 06.17.21 at 10:54 am

Hi Garth, congratulations on the new member of the family, having recently gone through a difficult separation/divorce with my wife of 13 years, our dogs (and cats) got me through some very dark times in the last eight months. They are incredible companions, very unique bond between species, I always look forward to reading your blog, but rarely comment, this is one of your best articles.

#132 BZLA on 06.17.21 at 10:56 am

Looking at my St Lucian doggo Ruby, I know there’s a reason why I keep coming back to this weird bloggo

#133 Felix's human on 06.17.21 at 11:14 am

I still don’t get it.

Have to go now. Felix needs food.

#134 IHCTD9 on 06.17.21 at 12:17 pm

#126 Sail Away on 06.17.21 at 8:10 am

———

That track section is perfect for a car with monster torque and traction. Short spurts and very tight. You can see the driver dropping the hammer coming out of corners to make the pass where he has the advantage.

If it is true that the Plaid runs a 9.2 in the 1/4, then it is surely the quickest production car ever built. That 1.9 second 0-60 might be a record too, although TESLA deducts the rollout on the beams for their 0-60’s so that 1.9 is probably a 0-53 time in real life. I’ll bet they shallow staged the crap out of the car and made 10 shots at it to get the official 1.9.

#135 Faron on 06.17.21 at 12:58 pm

#134 IHCTD9 on 06.17.21 at 12:17 pm

#126 Sail Away on 06.17.21 at 8:10 am

Official 0 to 60 is 1.98. If you are gonna round, round. Call it 2. In countries that care about fraudulent advertising, the number is higher. Def mega acceleration. Probably dangerous in the hands of your average driver. And the radically useless steering yoke comes at no charge so TSLA droolers can feel like they are playing xbox when they fail at their hand-over-hand turns in the Walmart parkinglot. Google it.

#136 Richard Bauno on 06.17.21 at 1:22 pm

Hey None #7, my older sister who got suckered in whole big house capital gains low mortgage rates tax free best investment propaganda is being warned by her accountant that she may not be able to retire in the next 6 to 8 years. Well, her long time accountant for 15 years said her debt and living expenses are stopping her from saving and investing more money needed to reach her retirement goal by 2027 to 2029.

The main reason is the $276,000 left on her mortgage and the $27,000 line of credit from prior year house repairs and renovations. This is still 70% of the original mortgage, debt balance. This is after 11 years paying the mortgage. It should be at least 60% paid off by now. She is still using her house as an ATM machine and does not want to get it. The low interest rates of 2.16% and 3.25% is what she is saying to keep justifying it.

The final straw that her accountant is warning her about is the higher assessment values and property taxes. The accountant is warning her from last year that a 65% to 85% increase projected in her property taxes and the 43% to 48% increase projected in her water, utility, garbage fees by 2029. The much higher cost of living coming now with new carbon taxes, higher grocery bills, higher gas, higher insurance, electricity, heating, food, childcare and other costs, expenses is going to push many over the edge.

I personally made sure that my physical real estate is at a limited percentage of my net worth, total investments. I have no more than maximum 25% or always minimum 3 times more in investments than what my personal residence is worth. I don’t own more than 1 property plus my mortgage got paid down every year. This is why I am mortgage free since 2012 and was only 42 years old at that time.

The house bought back in 2001 was $254,000 now it is worth $625,000. It insane all this speculation, hyping up of real estate in Canada. It is the fault of these ridiculously very low interest rates and easy money to borrow. I had a 7.125% 5 year fixed mortgage in 2001 but now 1.89% to 2.19% 5 year fixed mortgage rates.

#137 Matsebula on 06.17.21 at 2:27 pm

Awesome post. Enjoy the new doggo Garth. Our Wheaten is getting close to 12. She is an awesome bud. I don’t look forward to missing her.

#138 Left GTA on 06.18.21 at 11:46 am

#136 Richard Bauno I agree I think the majority of people use their houses like ATM machines. Look at the whole world of home improvement obsession. Something is paying for all those upgrades. And all the $70,000 SUVs in the driveways. New $1300 iphones every 2 years its just nuts!

#139 Left GTA on 06.18.21 at 11:47 am

Congrats on the new doggie Garth!