Cabin fevers

By the end of the week realtors will have shocking stats from all major markets. They’re just so darn useful in making non-homeowners froth and convulse with FOMO. Combined with engineered bidding wars, hold-back offers, blind auctions and deliberate mispricing, agents are driving a stake through the beating heart of affordability. But the Audi payments are no sweat.

Take Covid-central, for example. Infections rage in Alberta and the beleaguered premier is bringing down da hammer. But in Calgary it’s real estate party time. April sales climbed more than 400%, listings increased 227% and average prices grew 20% in April. Unemployment is still in double-digits in Cowtown, while nationally it’s declined to 7.5%. Only poor Newfoundland is worse.

(By the way house sales on The Rock has doubled year/year – up 134% in St. John’s. But prices have barely budged.)

As we’ve reported for some time, the biggest jumps nationally have come in suburban, rural, cottage, hick city and bunny-habitat regions. Buyers there have generally been urban virus refugees and WFH warriors taking a gamble remote work will last forever. We fussed over that topic last week, and the next six months will deliver a verdict.

In the meantime, it’s spring. Rutting and bug season in this land of tundra and noxious weeds. So naturally people are now insatiably lusting for sub-standard housing known in Canada as ‘cottages.’ Like Tyler and his hubby Bruce – urbanites who identify as grizzled courriers de bois. Here’s the story, and the ask…

Myself and my husband rent in Toronto for $2,000 a month. Nice main floor bungalow close to the subway line and have a total household income of $150K…both of us are mid 30 and have no spawn. We bought a cottage for $325,000 east of Toronto (north of Kingston) 2 years ago. Our original plan was to buy and rent it out and we’ve been able to break even with all costs associated with the cottage. We also get to enjoy it between visitors. And, most importantly, we get to experience that joyful feeling of home ownership.

I’ve spoken to local realtors and they think we can sell turnkey for $600,000. Shocking that it’s almost doubled in two years. RBC said the mortgage penalty is $13,500 (ruthless). Lawyer fees of $1,500. And the 4% realtor commission, we should be left with $250,000 profit. We currently have combined savings of $70,000 in our TFSAs. We were thinking of topping both our TFSA and then repaying the RRSP that we used for the HBP. I’m assuming you’ll tell us not to pay back the HBP and do the minimum payments over the 15 year period. Once everything is topped up, what do people do when they max out their TFSA and RRSP contribution room? We can save $2,300 a month – combined; what other vehicles can we use for investments? And do you think we are making right choices? Now roast.

Lucky guys, of course, to have scored a purchase at just the right moment – pre-pandemic. Even distant Kingston is now a GTA suburb, which is completely weird. They’re wise to sell in the months before WFH starts to disintegrate causing thousands of recent buyers to ask, blankly, ‘what did we do?’

First, the windfall profit may well be taxable, unless the boys fight with the CRA and win. Yes, you can declare a cottage as a principal residence and be exempted from the capital gains tax. But not one which was used only occasionally and rented out (Airbnb) most of the time. Especially if they reduced taxable rental income with deductible expenses.

Next, what to do with the potential windfall?

No, don’t pay back the HBP loan in one chunk. Why would you? It’s costing nothing. Second, top up TFSAs for about eighty grand. This is particularly important if you guys have DB pensions from pubic sector jobs, since retirement income flowing from tax-free accounts is unrecorded and won’t kick you into a higher tax bracket, like RRSP/RRIF cash can.

Use up RRSP contribution room (again, if no DB plans), and ensure assets are properly housed – growth-oriented EFTs mostly in TFSAs and fixed-income ones in the retirement plans. If you’ve been a captive of [email protected], time to get serious about investing – open self-directed accounts with the bank’s online brokerage service, or equal. Or find an advisor. Make each other RRSP beneficiaries and TFSA successor holders. Then establish a non-registered account. Joint is best. Dump the rest of the money in there. Be balanced and diversified.

Now, park the FOMO. You rolled the dice on the Kingston cottage (remote location, sizeable debt, scant savings left) and through sheer luck, made money. Don’t expect a repeat, and thank the gods a pandemic saved your butts. Now you’ve got enough (over $300,000 combined) to start a serious portfolio for future freedom and choice. Chuck in the monthly savings, and it’ll be a beast.

Sell now, by the way, and avoid this…

Click to enlarge. Source: Province of Ontario, 2021 budget document

“I live in rural Ontario and my house assessment is $353K according to 2016 assessment,” says Bassam. “The last house sold in my area last week (same as my house) for over $800K. My yearly property tax is $3,400. Not sure for how long they keep misleading the new buyers, 95% of people in this province don’t know what’s coming.”

Bugs. Taxes. And soon a killer commute. Priceless.

About the picture: “This is Molly, an American Cocker Spaniel,” writes Satu. “She came to us as a give-away dog years ago. Turning 11 this year, Molly is still full of puppy energy and brings so much joy to us. One thing that hasn’t changed over the years, though, is her dislike of kids and other dogs. The neighbourhood hounds steer away from her. Thank you for your blog! From a long time reader.”

#1 Millennial 1%er on 05.04.21 at 1:26 pm

I have a feeling they’re putting off redoing the assessment because people can not afford another dime. Everyone’s up to their necks in debt.

#2 Cottagers STAY THE HELL AWAY! on 05.04.21 at 1:29 pm

“Bugs. Taxes. And soon a killer commute.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Don’t move to cottage country.

Just.

Stay.

Home.

#3 Stone on 05.04.21 at 1:51 pm

#1 Millennial 1%er on 05.04.21 at 1:26 pm

———

What’s debt? Everyone keeps talking about it. Should I get some? Sounds trendy. Like Drake.

And an Audi lease? I’m intrigued. Audi’s are those cars with partial Olympic rings, right? Are they better than Corollas?

#4 Billy Buoy on 05.04.21 at 1:51 pm

Funny the # of people that choose debt servitude over freedom.

Unreal.

They must have the imagination of a small, dirty, chipped soap dish.

#5 Alberta is led by a corrupt IMBE CILE on 05.04.21 at 1:52 pm

#6 bdwy on 05.04.21 at 1:53 pm

vancouver still cooking but maybe slowing a touch…

——————————–

Sales in markets served by the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver set a new April record last month

A total of 4,908 homes were sold, marking the “highest total on record for the month”, the REBGV stated in a new report.

The sales were 56.2 percent above the 10-year April sales average, the board announced Tuesday (May 4).

Last month’s transactions represent a 342.6 percent increase from the 1,109 sales in April 2020, which followed lockdowns in March that year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Compared to the 5,708 homes sold in March 2021, which were the highest on record for the month of March in the region, April 2021 sales were 14 percent lower.

Prices show no sign of trending down.

The composite benchmark price for all residential properties in REBGV markets in April 2021 stood at $1,152,600.

The price represents a 12 percent increase over April 2020 and a 2.6 percent increase compared to March 2021.

#7 Brian Ripley on 05.04.21 at 1:54 pm

My chart of CALGARY HOUSING Single Family Detached, Town House and Condo Average Prices with Total Residential Listings and Sales and the TSX Energy Index is up with latest data: http://www.chpc.biz/calgary-housing.html

In April 2021 average single family detached prices remained above the top of the channel that has defined prices in the last 7 years of sideways chop.

​Meanwhile strata market prices remained on their downtrends with condos trading at 4Q 2005 levels when the TSX Energy Index was trading 2.5 times higher.

Total residential sales zoomed up and away from its long term downtrend as the ratio of listings to sales came in at 1.9.

The employed in Alberta enjoy the highest average employment earnings on the latest February 2021 data (2 month lag) at $64,579/yr which includes the government shutdown subsidies and are 9% above Canada’s national average. But in Canada, only 20% of households have a net worth greater than $1,000,000 (see my post “Household Net Worth” of June 2020).

I note from my server stats that in April my Calgary housing charts came in 2nd most looked at vs Vancouver housing charts at #1

As I have pointed out for years, especially since the 2016 Fort McMurray Fire, Calgary detached housing has been the object of buyers who continue to shun strata units.

In relative terms, a Calgary single family detached seller will trade their house for 1.8 townhouses or 2.2 condos.

As oil demand increases this summer, I expect more interest to be paid to Alberta real estate.

#8 earthboundmisfit on 05.04.21 at 1:55 pm

Grew up with one of those little ****ers. Ear mites, eye boogers and a really unpredictable temperament. Can be quite nasty.

#9 Old Ron on 05.04.21 at 1:58 pm

Bugs taxes. You forgot winter. People have little idea how much colder things are when you get out of the Big Smoke.

But by far the biggest challenge is the commute. It is a breeze right now. I figure after Labour Day, stop and go for two hours+ x 2 returns.

#10 Love_The_Cottage on 05.04.21 at 1:58 pm

…we’ve been able to break even with all costs associated with the cottage. We also get to enjoy it between visitors. And, most importantly, we get to experience that joyful feeling of home ownership.
_____
1) When filling in taxes the past few years there is a question on principal residence. They should have been filling in the cottage address.
2) The rental price for cottages is up as well. The non-financial feeling of home ownership is important for some people. I’d keep the cottage. Prices MIGHT drop a bit but I really doubt it.

#11 bdwy on 05.04.21 at 2:00 pm

details..

Sales of detached homes in April 2021 reached 1,655, a 326.5 per cent increase from the 388
detached sales recorded in April 2020. The benchmark price for a detached home is $1,755,500.
This represents a 20.9 per cent increase from last year and a 3.2 per cent increase compared to
March 2021.

Sales of apartment homes reached 2,289 in April 2021, a 355.1 per cent increase compared to the
503 sales in April 2020. The benchmark price of an apartment home is $729,600. This represents
a 5.9 per cent increase from April 2020 and a 1.9 per cent increase compared to March 2021.

Attached home sales in April 2021 totalled 964, a 342.2 per cent increase compared to the 218
sales in April 2020. The benchmark price of an attached home is $900,900. This represents a
13.9 per cent increase from April 2020 and a 3.3 per cent increase compared to March 2021

#12 bdwy on 05.04.21 at 2:14 pm

#7 earthboundmisfit on 05.04.21 at 1:55 pm
——————–
i guess it’s relative.
new guy moved in downstairs w 2 dogs.
one like molly here – sweet as pie.
one jack russel cross. WOW , just WOW. Snarls, snaps, bared teeth, growls, tries to dominate very large men (me). never seen a dog look so enraged for NO REASON and ALL the time. I love all dogs but there is one that is 100% pure evil and now he lives downstairs! I think he hates me . good thing he’s football sized.

tried to make peace, offered a treat. he came close while snarling viciously , snatched the treat and came back 1/4 second later (treat still in his mouth) to bite my hand. punk.

#13 Guy in Calgary on 05.04.21 at 2:22 pm

How was HBP used for a cottage?

#14 Squire on 05.04.21 at 2:33 pm

#3 Stone on 05.04.21 at 1:51 pm
#1 Millennial 1%er on 05.04.21 at 1:26 pm
———
———–

I’m interested too and I have a Corolla. Should I change it for this Audi business. Is it more reliable and better ?

#15 bdwy on 05.04.21 at 2:34 pm

seeing multiple big, reliable websites down today.

just a glitch or something worse?

#16 tbone on 05.04.21 at 2:37 pm

#17 tbone on 05.04.21 at 2:42 pm

I have an Audi . When the supercharger spools up its exhilarating. Ditch the corolla .

#18 Millennial 1%er on 05.04.21 at 2:45 pm

@bdwy
All web tech is a few moments away from catastrophic failure. You have no idea how bad it really is.

No nothing is happening. Building scalable software is just hard.

#19 Squire on 05.04.21 at 2:46 pm

I’ve had German cars before. I’ll stick with my Toyota. It’s predictable, not that exciting but never let’s me down and I don’t know any mechanics anymore because of it. That’s the only downside.

On another note, some wise words for our Federal Gov.

Warren Buffett’s right-hand man blasted bitcoin, Robinhood, and SPACs at Berkshire Hathaway’s annual meeting on Saturday.
Charlie Munger – Berkshire’s 97-year-old vice-chairman – also defended “big tech” companies from claims they need to be broken up, and warned that unchecked federal spending will ultimately end in disaster.

#20 Shirl Clarts on 05.04.21 at 3:01 pm

#13 Guy in Calgary on 05.04.21 at 2:22 pm
How was HBP used for a cottage?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good point, Guy in Calgary. The HBP program states..

You must intend to occupy the qualifying home as your principal place of residence within one year after buying or building it.

I guess “intentions” are good enough.

#21 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.04.21 at 3:06 pm

@#8 Earthbound
“Ear mites, eye boogers and a really unpredictable temperament. Can be quite nasty.”

+++

Yep Cocker Spaniels are in the top 3 in North America for biting kids.
They look cute and little kids get right in their face…..

#22 VladTor on 05.04.21 at 3:24 pm

Garth, thank you. Good financial lesson.

You right – next assessment will be shocked.

I have question. May be you know or heard from somebody answer.

You (long time in this post) and media now ( more and more often) talking about people moving in suburbs b’s WFH. Do you know numbers?
How many families along Canada or at least in Ontario moved in suburbs b’s WFH?
I never seen any numbers. Just emotion! Why I’m asking – b’s numbers can show real situation compare with changing RE price.

#23 Rob on 05.04.21 at 3:26 pm

#24 IHCTD9 on 05.04.21 at 3:27 pm

I used to like Audi’s and superchargers. Now I like straight 6 Diesels and compound turbos.

#25 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.04.21 at 3:28 pm

I didnt realize being married to a multi Billionaire was so denigrating to ones self image.

I’m sure the agreed divorce settlement will make the burden of being a multi billionaires wife that much easier to bear.

#26 G on 05.04.21 at 3:29 pm

This short 16min idea is worth a good think about, considering present events, IMO.

The Manufacturing of a Mass Psychosis – Can Sanity Return to an Insane World?

#27 brrrrrr on 05.04.21 at 3:57 pm

Ahhh yes, the good ol’ pubic sector!

#28 Boomer Bill on 05.04.21 at 4:03 pm

#16 tbone on 05.04.21 at 2:37 pm

“Knew a guy that worked and lived in Vaughn . Got the desire for a bigger house in Barrie for a good price .
Made the move and was back two years later. He said the 4-5 hour drives in snow storms up the 400 were unbearable. He said he still doesnt know how he made it home in one piece. Snow changes everything.”
———————————————————-

I’ll never forget the day I headed north on the 400 to go to Sudbury. Middle of the week, pre pandemic before 7 a.m. It was bumper to bumper coming south from Barrie. We are talking a distance of 80 kms…

#29 Bezengy on 05.04.21 at 4:07 pm

Woah….slow down folks. Mid thirties with no kids? Sounds like you could be living full time at the camp in a little more than 10 years. Speaking from experience I can tell you that it can’t be beat. I guess I could go live in town with everyone else, but do exactly what, shop? May I ask why the hell did you bought it for in the first place? You’re gonna sell your dream for money you’ll probably never spend. I don’t get it. Enjoy your retirement in Toronto, hope you don’t miss the lake.

#30 TurnerNation on 05.04.21 at 4:08 pm

So you might ask why is Kanada even with the Jab still being shut down, curfews, destroying all culture, sport and small businesses? Good questions on the agenda at play.

Haiti has one of the lowest death rates from COVID-19 in the world.

As of the end of April, only 254 deaths were attributed to COVID-19 in Haiti over the course of the entire pandemic. The Caribbean nation, which often struggles with infectious diseases, has a COVID-19 death rate of just 22 per million.

Haiti’s success is not due to some innovative intervention against the virus. Most people have given up wearing masks in public. Buses and markets are crowded. And Haiti hasn’t yet administered a single COVID-19 vaccine.

Not only have outdoor markets reopened; they were never completely closed.
Sheltering in place and working from home are luxuries most Haitians can’t afford
—————-

I will tell you why. MONEY. Down there there was no CERB, CEBA; no high paid Top Doctors and Experts, no Shift premiums at the hospitals. You get the picture. I bet Amazon/Uber/Lyft/Walmart is not delivering there.

#31 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.04.21 at 4:11 pm

#17 tbone on 05.04.21 at 2:42 pm
————-
Agree.
Ditch the F-150, too.
20th Century technology.

#32 BlogDog123 on 05.04.21 at 4:15 pm

Can’t wait to visit the cottage and not stay the hell away… Bugs not a problem…

#33 I don't have an Audi on 05.04.21 at 4:24 pm

But I have four women in my life that are always spooled up and supercharging my credit card!

#34 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.04.21 at 4:25 pm

#132 Ihtd9

If I were childless and had a pile of cash after retirement, I’d buy a new boat/SXS/Truck, and that’s it. I’d blow the rest via personal pet philanthropy. I’d be like Mr. T keeping the local construction guys busy with a continuous stream of old building restorations :).
——————–
Hey, big guy.
Do it anyway. Explain to your kids.
If you raised them right, they will understand.
My cut off date for financially fully supporting kids is about 22.
It’s a little harder to do in Canada, because high education is so expensive, student loans and books etc.
In Austria, and many European countries, education is free.
As for inheritance: There are still some items on my bucket list.
If, something is left over it will be distributed equally.
Money for my funeral will be set aside.

#35 leebow on 05.04.21 at 4:28 pm

A sad story if you think about it. In a hundred years someone will write “It is a hundred years since our children left”.

#36 Billy Buoy on 05.04.21 at 4:48 pm

Ole Yeller today says ‘Interest rates have to rise.”

Stocks come down.

2 hours later she likely is told to walk back the comments.

Stocks go up.

Rates IF they rise will be .5% WHAT A COMPLETE JOKE.

BUY AWAY. GO LONG EVERYTHING. THE FED HAS YOUR BACK UNTIL IT ALL EXPLODES.

#37 Lee on 05.04.21 at 4:50 pm

Virtual sucks. Virtual meetings. Virtual court. Virtual school. Everything virtual sucks. Can’t wait to get back to normal.

#38 ogdoad on 05.04.21 at 4:55 pm

Aah realtors.

And you know what they’e saying: “if I don’t take advantage of the situation somebody else will”. Classic example of people earning lots of money with the constant feeling that they don’t actually deserve it.

Kinda like lawyers. Earn lots of money and don’t actually deserve it. Only difference is they think they do.

Moral compass shows the same!! Lol!

Og

#39 Faron on 05.04.21 at 5:06 pm

#36 Billy Buoy on 05.04.21 at 4:48 pm

Stocks go up.

Not the whole story. Stocks went back up because of the passage of time and the need for dealers to hedge positions to changing theta and volatility. Nothing to do with the walk back, or very little. Proof? Banks went up on the rate increase news and then mildly fell before rallying at the EOD. It the market was responding directly to rates, then you would have seen banks come back down when the “rates up” news faded.

So, indexes down on news to a new “level” that then rose out of sheer market plumbing including the EOD ramp owable to need for dealers to hedge their books by EOD. That’s the quant view anyway.

#37 Lee on 05.04.21 at 4:50 pm

Yep. I’m scoping out co-working spaces just so I can leave the house and maintain some kind of sanity. COVID careful of course.

#40 Jens on 05.04.21 at 5:08 pm

Garth, may I challenge you on your “joint (non-registered account) is best” statement?
My spouse and I made the mistake of jointly contributing to one of our joint investment accounts, in which she frequently trades. And with the CRA’s attribution rules, figuring out who owns (and owes tax on) what percentage of what in that account is a veritable nightmare I would not wish on anyone else.
Joint survivorship is a good idea, yes. But make sure each account has only one primary owner and only that person contributes to, and pays tax on it.

#41 tbone on 05.04.21 at 5:17 pm

#42 VladTor on 05.04.21 at 5:37 pm

I’ve found some info about how many people won’t to relocate b’s WFH. This is just one province and numbers UNBELIVABLE !!!!

….According to Tourism Nova Scotia, around 531,000 people have considered moving to the province since its work-from-home campaign launched late last year….

see here:

#43 yorkville renter on 05.04.21 at 5:39 pm

With a combined income over $300K, and almost $400K in cash available to buy a place – we decided instead to continue renting, albeit in a larger place.

We put an offer on a dump, on a main street, and lost by more than $300K… who thinks paying these prices is OK?!?!

Crazy!

#44 Greatest fools on 05.04.21 at 6:02 pm

The vast majority of people are fools when it comes to selling their properties. I have never enlisted the services of a realtor and always sold in a reasonable amount of time at an above average price.

Realtors claim that they will get you top dollar for your listing, you engage them, then you complain when you are on the other side of the coin. Have it both ways and sell it yourself.

#45 VladTor on 05.04.21 at 6:13 pm

#7 Brian Ripley on 05.04.21 at 1:54 pm

Brian, I’ve look at your chart —> http://www.chpc.biz/history-readings/household-net-worth

Something wrong or you need to do more explanation.

Count % each categories: 40% +40% +20% + 10% +5% +1% + 0.5% +0.1% +0.01% = 116.61%

Should be 100%, isn’t it?

In addition,
thank you very much for your diagrams on your WEW . Always informative an interesting!

#46 V man on 05.04.21 at 6:13 pm

Garth, how leveraged are non bank mortgage lenders? Are private equity firms partially to blame in the lack of supply in real estate?

#47 IHCTD9 on 05.04.21 at 6:21 pm

#34 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.04.21 at 4:25 pm
#132 Ihtd9

——————–
Hey, big guy.
Do it anyway. Explain to your kids.
If you raised them right, they will understand.
My cut off date for financially fully supporting kids is about 22.
In Austria, and many European countries, education is free.
As for inheritance: There are still some items on my bucket list.
If, something is left over it will be distributed equally.
Money for my funeral will be set aside.
———

We’ll see how it goes Ponzie, the boys might need a down payment…

#48 Reximus on 05.04.21 at 6:26 pm

couldnt decide whether to buy some dogecoin or tulip bulbs, bought beer instead

#49 joe on 05.04.21 at 6:51 pm

The Liberals are going to pay dearly for this….I’m sure the opposition is taking note

#50 Leftover on 05.04.21 at 6:51 pm

Mmm, cabins, life in the country

Here’s what you get in Nashville for US$999,000

Comes with its own airstrip

It is well beyond me to understand why a skilled millennial would stay in Canada

#51 Chameleon on 05.04.21 at 6:52 pm

A dog who hates dogs?

What does she know?

#52 Reximus on 05.04.21 at 7:05 pm

—-

What lack of supply? the record sales numbers are only possible if there are record numbers of sellers.

#53 Faron on 05.04.21 at 7:23 pm

#134 BillyBob on 05.04.21 at 5:11 pm

You wildly overestimate my interest

Yes, so disinterested that you clowned your way out of the woodwork to write a tome about how disinterested you are. Stick to the issues or continue proving how fragile your ego is that you feel like you have to defend yourself among a crowd of strangers. Your choice bru.

#54 Trojan House on 05.04.21 at 7:29 pm

This is all pretty crazy so if you need a few extra days off of work to relax, just tell your boss you have asymptomatic Ebola.

#55 Faron on 05.04.21 at 7:42 pm

#134 BillyBob on 05.04.21 at 5:11 pm

Furthermore, I know damn well that I’m identifiable here. I post as I do because I’m okay taking ownership of my words and actions.

To repeat this for the umpteenth time, it’s one thing to know another person’s information. It’s another (incredibly weak) thing to threaten to exercise that knowledge by dumping it here for any bot to scrape among other potential outcomes. Even worse is implying that you could root around my “department” which is something that, of course, I am sensitive toward. If you can’t handle words, however pointed, on a screen then you have no business commenting. If you can’t distinguish pointed words in the virtual from IRL actions, again, you have no business here.

I’ll say it again, I DGAF that you know who I am. I GAF when I sense slimy behaviour which oozes out of you in buckets.

To wit: hey, looks like Keen Reader posted a couple of days ago. Why don’t you go explain to him how much of a pilot he isn’t. That worked well for you last time.

Stick to the issues son.

#56 the Jaguar on 05.04.21 at 7:49 pm

#134 BillyBob on 05.04.21 at 5:11 pm
#128 Faron on 05.04.21 at 12:02 pm
#117 Wrk.dover on 05.04.21 at 6:23 am
Did Faron and the Sailor finally get a room together?
Honeymooning somewhere? Sara, can you verify?
__
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth! Me? Disenchanted with the whole thing after Billy Bob and The Jaguar waved personal information over my head.—-

=#134 BillyBob on 05.04.21 at 5:11 pm============================
You really need to get over yourself. You’re not that important. No one threatened you with anything – you did it yourself by “waving” everything under the sun about yourself, from where you did your undergrad to your partner’s past relationship history. No one asked. I simply happen to count among my friends the head of your Uvic department and your oversharing made the connection obvious. So what?
You wildly overestimate my interest beyond idle amusement and the mild irony. No one, including me, wishes you any harm. Time to quit playing the wounded martyr card. It makes a mockery of genuine doxxing victims.
Besides, we all know the truth. We’ll let you get back to spooning with Saily. No judgement here.

[email protected]__#134 BillyBob on 05.04.21 at 5:11 pm
He’s gone out of his fury little mind. He’s forgotten this recent post from April 22nd (below)where he admits he ‘doxed himself’. For the love of Pete Ferrittista! No one cares, and for the record, your “reveal” had nothing to do with Uvic as far as I was concerned.. I wouldn’t give that birth place of ‘ALT Left a-hole’s like ‘ J.R’, who was critical of CPP investments in oil and gas companies to the ‘ALT Left CBC’, right after I posted an article about it on this blog. Such a coincidence. Leave me alone and stop commenting on my posts which never reference you.

#163 Faron on 04.22.21 at 1:46 pm
#160 the Jaguar on 04.22.21 at 1:13 pm

I know I’ve doxed myself. What is disgusting is that you and BB are so fragile and fearful about words here that you’ve held it over my head.

#57 Brian Ripley on 05.04.21 at 7:56 pm

TO: #45 VladTor on 05.04.21 at 6:13 pm
RE: #7 Brian Ripley on 05.04.21 at 1:54 pm

The original piece was originally put together by https://betterdwelling.com/canadas-super-rich-actually-own-a-bigger-share-of-wealth-than-previously-thought/
… and the origin is the PBO (Parliamentary Budget Officer). I have credited both those sources on my post.

Better Dwelling notes in part that:

“The PBO’s new model captures more wealth, and surprise – it largely belongs at the top. Originally the Survey of Financial Security Public Use Microdata File (SFS PUMF) was used to determine the breakdown. Unfortunately, since the super rich don’t do surveys, it left a lot of upper wealth unassigned. That meant they needed a new model to estimate it.”

and

“The new model is the high-net-worth Family Database (HFD), and it better captures the top end of wealth. The HFD draws data from the National Balance Sheet Accounts, and helps assign it. The result is, the wealth share of the top one percent rises by 12 percentage points, versus the previous model.”

Better Dwelling goes onto conclude:

“Naturally, that redistribution of the pie means someone’s share of wealth was overestimated. Can you guess who? The middle 40% of households were previously estimated to have held 30.5% of total wealth in Canada. That drops to just 25.3% under the newest model. The bottom 40% went from 2.3%, to just 1.2% of wealth. In other words, 80% of families hold a little over a quarter of the wealth in Canada.”

Yes 16.61% seems like a large error but I read the above notes to mean that the measurement model is not exact.

I think the point is that a larger net worth produces a larger percentage increase in compounding growth.

The rich get richer, the poor get…

#58 Faron on 05.04.21 at 8:13 pm

Here’s a real Gem here in Victoria. Was on the market for $899k last fall. Assessed at $780k. Now asking $1.299M. Nicely renoed ;-) Top?

#59 Faron on 05.04.21 at 8:21 pm

#56 the Jaguar on 05.04.21 at 7:49 pm
#134 BillyBob on 05.04.21 at 5:11 pm

See #55. Stick to the issues. I write one sentence indicating exactly why I stepped away and you and BillyBob boil over in anguish as if you had been physically wounded. I may be acting like a 3 year old in engaging with you, but you are not comporting yourself any better.

Good evening.

#60 Tedfiftyfour on 05.04.21 at 8:28 pm

#38 ogdoad on 05.04.21 at 4:55 pm

Not say anything about the receivers of all the profits
the sellers. They are just bystanders in the whole mess
with the ability to sue the Realtor should they fall short
On squeezing the buyers for very penny.

#61 greaterfool on 05.04.21 at 8:28 pm

is there a way shorting our crazy housing market? especially those in suburban/cottage countries.

#62 VladTor on 05.04.21 at 8:35 pm

to #57 Brian Ripley on 05.04.21 at 7:56 pm

Thank you very much. I’m fully satisfied with your detailed explanation.

This is ridiculous to play game with models. We have Revenue agency and agency has full information. Government not show real info b’s they want to scare us.

Brian – you are very polite gentlemen.
I’m sometimes – not! So, if Garth close eyes , I’m finishing your final statement … The rich get richer, the poor get… p…. of s…t. Question is how long?

#63 Jason on 05.04.21 at 8:46 pm

Are EFTs a sexy new investment that the banks came up with to ride the NFT bandwagon? I’ll stick with SCAMcoin or Dogecoin thanks.

#64 the view out west on 05.04.21 at 9:02 pm

Here is the contrarian view for you:
We are now in the new normal.

Housing prices will eventually cool, but they are not going back down. Housing is the financial canary in the coal mine. As the government prints more and more money, the cash price of houses will continue to rise. Buy now, or face the prospect of being priced out

As for WFH, some companies will insist on employees returning to the office, but for the most part, employers have noticed that it is just as effective, and cheaper to have people work from home rather then maintain expensive offices.
In future, you will see a significant portion of the population continue to wear masks, even when the requirement has been lifted. And at every retail outlet, there will be a bottle of hand sanitizer

Ultimately house prices depend on incomes, not the money supply. But I agree about the sanitizer. Insightful. – Garth

#65 Ustabe on 05.04.21 at 9:04 pm

@ #56 the Jaguar on 05.04.21 at 7:49 pm

Was there some sort of curling thing going on in Calgary recently?

I ask because (understand this is just a rumour but I have known the person who passed it to me for decades and he doesn’t dabble) there is talk that the Western US leadership of Anitifa slipped into Calgary under cover of being a curling team and crew.

Apparently looking for a building to lease or purchase to set up a training center and gun range, etc.

I’m sure we’d all be interested in your thoughts or any insider knowledge you could bring.

#66 Tax Man on 05.04.21 at 9:19 pm

The tax man commeth….people are going to be shocked once those re-assessments happen.

I work there, and trust me its going to be painful. especially for those currently up to their necks in debt payments

#67 ImGonnaBeSick on 05.04.21 at 9:20 pm

#55, #58, #59 and on and on Faron on 05.04.21 at 8:21 pm

Pack it up Foron… You’re clogging the comments section again…. 2 comment limit there 10-ply…

#68 crossbordershopper on 05.04.21 at 9:27 pm

maybe people in the longer commute will learn a language or get sirius and expand there horizon. Why have dead time when you can build your skills.

#69 the Jaguar on 05.04.21 at 9:29 pm

@#65 Ustabe on 05.04.21 at 9:04 pm

Maybe look for your answers here. Good reviews of a well researched book, though you seemed very well informed.

#70 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.04.21 at 9:31 pm

#61 greaterfool on 05.04.21 at 8:28 pm
————
Keep renting.

#71 VladTor on 05.04.21 at 9:31 pm

Garth for: #64 the view out west on 05.04.21 at 9:02 pm

…Ultimately house prices depend on incomes, not the money supply.

****

Dear Garth, that’s absolutely is true in…. normal classical economy. I agree with this and maybe after coming Hyperinflation it will be again. I know, you so many times here told us that Hyperinflation not possible . Who knows? Even Bank of America suddenly change its opinion and even create new terminology – “Transitory Hyperinflation “.

Fanny! Hyperinflation always transitory.

Time to sell shares and by some “hardware”, “REware” etc. ! Hurry up if you trust BofA!

Full story here —>

What is your opinion about this “new terminology”?

#72 Thelma on 05.04.21 at 9:34 pm

After 3 years I finally sold my YYC condo, though in order to do so I had to take a mid 5-figure hit, but what a relief! Over the years I have built and sold two and bought and sold 3 houses that I made money on so I am still ahead of the game. Win some lose some in the real estate game.

It’s true what they say–you either have to die or sell to get off a condo board. I volunteered for about 8 years because no one else wanted to except for the same small group. But I couldn’t not care. Condo management companies need to be watched or they will raise condo fees unchecked. Over the years the ratio of owners to renters got less and less until it was just me and another on the board who lived in the building so of course we were always the ones to be asked to do this and that. And report on things. It was stressing me out after awhile. Oh and don’t get me started on the owners that never volunteered a minute but pitched huge hissy fits when they couldn’t get the board to agree to a demand because it would affect their neighbours living below.

Anyway I am so relieved to be out of there. There are a lot of condos for sale but if you want to sell in YYC it comes down to who can lower the price the most.

Now I am in a nice corporate run building catering to mostly 55+ with a live in manager and maintenance guy. Its got underground parking (can be maintenance headaches but I don’t have to worry about it), gym, balcony, and a garbage chute. No more hollering “incoming” to the dumpster diver ripping open bags in the always dirty garbage enclosure at the far end of the parking lot.

Best of all is now I can roll my bike out the door and in 5 minutes be on the trails of Fish Creek Prov Park which encompasses a large part of south YYC, and from there access the over 900k of pathways that connect every community, park and natural area of the city.

3 cheers for FOMO and the pandemic!

#73 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.04.21 at 9:35 pm

The Major of Rossland is getting chastised for going to the States for the Vaccine.
Turns out she’s dual citizens.
How can a citizen of another country become an elected official in Canada?

#74 Dr V on 05.04.21 at 9:55 pm

The western rock rocks?

Over $800k to be DON’s neighbour.

Where is blogger Eagle Bay?

#75 Dr V on 05.04.21 at 10:04 pm

130 IHCTD9

“Not worth the bad feelings IMHO. I have a some B+S in-law’s that borrowed some $$ from my parents in law over the years. M+FIL decided to forgive those debts a while back. So one day, they were at our door with an envelope. It contained a pretty sizeable cheque. They had taken the largest forgiven amount, and paid every one of their kids up equal to that – we had never borrowed a dime. They felt it was not fair to forgive these debt amounts without compensating those kids who did not borrow (or borrowed less), as the forgiveness became an effective cash “handout”. Great consideration and foresight was demonstrated. ”

And THAT is the way it is DONE. Cannot argue the fairness or the logic.

#76 Leebow on 05.04.21 at 10:24 pm

#73 Ponzius Pilatus

It’s a soft form of anschluss

#77 espressobob on 05.04.21 at 10:30 pm

Xenophobia exists in cottage country as it does globally. An incredible pool of ignorance that permeates from tribalism.

Most amusing mentality from the back woods while individuals engaging in this activity would be be better served getting an education.

Somehow that seems doughtful.

#78 Faron on 05.04.21 at 11:17 pm

#65 Ustabe on 05.04.21 at 9:04 pm
@ #56 the Jaguar on 05.04.21 at 7:49 pm

A blistering ace.

#79 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.04.21 at 11:20 pm

#@73 Ponzie’s Perplexing Political Paradigm

“How can a citizen of another country become an elected official in Canada?”

++++

Well kinda like Hitler ( an Austrian) became Leader of Germany?

#80 TurnerNation on 05.04.21 at 11:35 pm

**ALERT the Globalists fully took over Kanada, today.
(You already knew that the New System was rolled out that cold week in March 2020. Slowly, so as not to spook us. 2 weeks! 28 days!! You get the idea)

Now, every major province is completely under Economic Lockdowns. BC, AB, Man, ON, QC, NS.
The goal ? Probably to force a UBI or some other manifest of Communism.
It’s Not going away. Listen to our elite rulers.

You cannot Golf again until, like, surgeries and stuff happen. Yes didn’t the medical textbooks tell you this?
(And high cycle PCR tests.)

“Elliott says the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations and patients in intensive-care units would have to go down and a backlog of surgeries would have to be worked through before the ban on outdoor sports and other restrictions can be lifted.”

— They do not want us healthy. It all makes sense, they believe WE are the virus to be contained. Humans:

“She says residents need to limit their mobility as much as possible to reduce transmission of the virus.”

— What does the data really show? For example:

“The overwhelming majority of COVID-19 cases that state public health officials linked to cluster outbreaks occurred at home rather than in schools, child care, or restaurants, according to data published Thursday.
Between Sept. 27 and Oct. 24, “

#81 Lead Paint on 05.04.21 at 11:48 pm

#59 Faron on 05.04.21 at 8:21 pm

Good vocabulary for a three year old!

#82 Bob Dog on 05.04.21 at 11:54 pm

Crypto Mania is partly responsible for the fever pitch speculation we are seeing. Dog E Coin is up to $0.5 from $0.001. There is no source code in Dog E Coin to limit the number of imaginary tokens that can be created. The bitCoin source code is specifically written to produce the illusion of scarcity.

Has anyone considered tweeking the bitcoin source to restart from scratch with a new genesis block and an entirely new block chain. You need to create new DNS seeds hard coded into the source that resolve to a few dozen known nodes to get things rolling just as it did in 2009. Call it “Bitcoin Next”.

Start here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

These are interesting times. Who will be left holding the biggest bag of odorous excrement ever assembled in the history of capitalism.

#83 kommykim on 05.05.21 at 12:12 am

Well, if you live in the USA here is one way to live “rent free” for 20 years or more:

#84 Tudval on 05.05.21 at 12:45 am

The property assessment is real problem that the city is not taking seriously. It is creating price distortions. Buyers in some areas are going to have a shock when their taxes will likely double. They are overpaying because they are budgeting 2016 taxes, especially in the under $1 mil segment (first time buyers).

A townhome owner in Scarborough still pays $1000/yr property tax, while in other parts of the city they pay 5 times that, even as the the price ratio is now only is 2:1. They appreciated the most in the last few years for all the wrong reasons. Some are real crappy accommodations in bad locations. But the government always hits the uninsured (lowest risk) segment with new measures to curb demand while “helping” the first time buyers with no equity get in over their head. Figure that one out.

#85 Dr V on 05.05.21 at 1:26 am

29 Bezengy

I had the same question.

#86 No Left Turn on 05.05.21 at 2:28 am

#73 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.04.21 at 9:35 pm

Because diversity is our strength, or… it’s 2021… or the citizenships will balance itself… or … they are citizenshipalized persons… duh.

#87 short horses on 05.05.21 at 3:17 am

Molly’s a real beauty, reminds me of several dogs I’ve had, but I have a hard time believing that there’s a Cocker Spaniel out there who doesn’t love kids.

#88 SoggyShorts on 05.05.21 at 3:35 am

#40 Jens on 05.04.21 at 5:08 pm

***********************
Do you have a joint checking account?
Can’t you simply make all contributions to a joint non-registered account from there?
The wife and I each get 50% of gains/divvies attributed to us this way, which since we are in the same tax bracket is perfect.

Unless I’m missing something?

#89 Old engineer on 05.05.21 at 3:57 am

#45 VladTor

The numbers are not meant add to 100%. They are percentiles that dissect the top 20% of wealth holders into smaller and smaller groups. So within the top 20% you have it broken down further into the top 10%, 5%, 1%, 0.1%, 0.01%. So the math is 40%+40%+20%=100%

#90 Phylis on 05.05.21 at 7:49 am

#82 Bob Dog on 05.04.21 at 11:54 pm
Check out bitcoin forking.

#91 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.05.21 at 7:53 am

@#81 Lead Paint
“Good vocabulary for a three year old!”

++++

Whats even more impressive is Faron multi tasked.
Texting while potty training.

#92 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.05.21 at 8:04 am

@#87 Short Horses
” I have a hard time believing that there’s a Cocker Spaniel out there who doesn’t love kids.”

+++++

40% of Cocker Spaniel victims are kids.

Next door neighbors kid has a scar for life on her chin from a Cocker Spaniel.

A cute cuddly looking dog with a short temper that kids just love to get close to.

#93 the Jaguar on 05.05.21 at 8:12 am

THOSE WHO ‘HUSTLE’ DON’T WORK FROM HOME: JPMORGAN CEO
National Post (Latest Edition)5 May 2021

Working from home does not work for everyone, especially those who want “to hustle,” Jpmorgan Chase & Co’s chief executive said on Tuesday at a conference in New York. The largest American bank recently told its workers that it expects all U.s.-based employees back in offices on a rotational basis by early July, subject to public health rules limiting office capacity to 50 per cent. Bank CEO Jamie Dimon, shown, said he wants people back at work because exclusively working from home “doesn’t work for young people,” adding “It doesn’t work for those who want to hustle. It doesn’t work for spontaneous idea generation. It doesn’t work for culture.” Dimon said he is open to some employees working from home a few days a week, a policy other banks are exploring.

#94 WFH on 05.05.21 at 9:14 am

hold off the purchase of that new office suit and socks:

Strumpf, an associate professor in the department of economics and the department of epidemiology, biostatistics and occupational Health at McGill University in Montreal, said she believes the end of the pandemic looks more like a drawn-out affair, rather than a hard stop.

“We’re going to have to live with potentially fewer people in stores and retail spaces,” she said. “We’re going to keep wearing masks. We’re going to still continue to work from home and maybe some in the office. So it’ll be more of a gradual adjustment.”

#95 BillyBob on 05.05.21 at 9:20 am

#59 Faron on 05.04.21 at 8:21 pm
#56 the Jaguar on 05.04.21 at 7:49 pm
#134 BillyBob on 05.04.21 at 5:11 pm

Good evening.

============================

Well, I don’t post 5-10 times/day. So there’s that. Just thought I’d correct your self-pitying moaning about how you were threatened with doxxing when the fact is you outed yourself.

A bit unsporting to insult 3 year olds like that. They won’t soon forget.

#96 Dharma Bum on 05.05.21 at 9:29 am

Two of my kids went through the house buying process already.

One in 2018 – it was relatively normal and painless. Bidding wars were not a thing yet in Ottawa. (They recently sold that house for a 60% gain in 2 years).

Another in 2020 – out west – for peanuts compared to Ontario prices. No bidding wars, just an under asking offer that was happily accepted Win – win.

Now one is looking for a house in the GTA. What can I say? Total nightmare. SO far, anything within their pricerange that they’ve even considered is sold before they look – at $100K – $150K over asking.

Everything in this dogforsaken metropolis under $1.2m is a total dump. Rathole. Crapola.

Sucks to live in the GTA.

Unless you’re a geezer boomer.

#97 Wrk.dover on 05.05.21 at 9:38 am

Faron is an asset with his studious observations and well backed up information, but that cat sure does attract rabid dog attacks.

Righties gleefully bully lefties, what else isn’t new?

That tie dyed granola eater fights back, while I just live well as revenge.

Peace!

#98 Roc on 05.05.21 at 9:55 am

short horses on 05.05.21 at 3:17 am
—————-

Perhaps due to lack of socializing and training as a puppy.

#99 ts on 05.05.21 at 10:22 am

#80 TurnerNation on 05.04.21 at 11:35 pm

“and a backlog of surgeries would have to be worked through before the ban on outdoor sports and other restrictions can be lifted.”

This makes no sense; I get the feeling they’re just making this stuff up as they go along. I don’t understand what a backlog of surgeries has to do with banning outdoor sports and implementing lock downs.

#100 Steve French on 05.05.21 at 10:32 am

My only regret is that I never got absolutely hammered with the Great Smoking Man.

We would have started hammering the beers and then got on to political debates and then would have hit the rippers…

Smokey if you’re up there, send us poor Blog-Gods a sign!

What a legend.

What a loss.

#101 Grasshopper on 05.05.21 at 10:51 am

#36 Billy Bouy

nailed it

#102 Damifino on 05.05.21 at 10:56 am

#61 greaterfool

——————————-

I’ve wondered how to short “green energy” and come to the conclusion the best way is to simply go long on hydrocarbons. Their superiority will become evident (i.e. be “rediscovered”) in the decades to follow.

Similarly, you should pursue assets that pay you to hold them and avoid risky ones fraught with heavy carrying costs. Especially recreational properties.

#103 Sara on 05.05.21 at 10:58 am

#97 Wrk.dover on 05.05.21 at 9:38 am

Righties gleefully bully lefties, what else isn’t new?
=================

I was thinking similarly this AM. It wouldn’t matter how “well-backed up” Faron’s articles were – bullies are going to bully, particularly when their cognitive dissonance gets triggered.

#104 Sara on 05.05.21 at 10:59 am

That should have been “arguments” not “articles”.

#105 Stone on 05.05.21 at 12:04 pm

#52 Reximus on 05.04.21 at 7:05 pm

—-

———

I agree with the above statement wholeheartedly. Inventory supply is not an issue. It’s just the realtor machine and the MSM (including BNN – have to point that out in particular) are just marketing the hell out of it. While the dull eyed populace laps it up.

Planning on a career in marketing? Learn from the best and use their tactics. You will have a mighty fine and lucrative career.

#106 Faron on 05.05.21 at 12:19 pm

#91 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.05.21 at 7:53 am
@#81 Lead Paint
“Good vocabulary for a three year old!”

++++

Whats even more impressive is Faron multi tasked.
Texting while potty training.

Ha. I was precocious. Potty trained at 1 1/2 and trolling the counter-productive right at 3. Sometimes I need a blanky and nap time gets in the way…

#103 Sara on 05.05.21 at 10:58 am
#97 Wrk.dover on 05.05.21 at 9:38 am

Thanks you two.

What boggles is that BillyBob, and I presume The Jaguar, still don’t understand the distinction between holding someone’s ID — part of doing business on the internet — and using it maliciously. For example, when I’ve found wallets, I’ve been granted immense power to do bad things to that person. I have most of their keys to the kingdom that they inhabit. If I happened to find the wallet of someone I didn’t particularly like, that power could beckon strongly. But, unless there was some clear evidence of criminality, it would be my ethical obligation to quietly return the wallet to its rightful owner.

Another example is simply Garth’s online persona. I’d like to think we all respect that, even when his snark or stance or cutting wit or enviable abs occasionally gets under our skin, there is a line drawn between blathering into this text-box and sending him a nasty email or threatening his career and client base.

Most of us are adults here who have navigated the world with decent success. I’d like to think that we can respect the implied rules of the internet. Failing to do so reflects extremely poorly on those who don’t. At a bare minimum, it represents extremely poor etiquette, and in my view, is an extremely weak position to take when you can’t counter arguments with arguments.

#107 Love_The_Cottage on 05.05.21 at 12:26 pm

#103 Sara on 05.05.21 at 10:58 am
_____
I’m also on team Faron. Are there t-shirts or membership cards?

#108 Stone on 05.05.21 at 12:33 pm

#73 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.04.21 at 9:35 pm
Turns out she’s dual citizens.
How can a citizen of another country become an elected official in Canada?

———

Don’t see your point about having dual citizenship and running for public office. Lots of politicians/public officials in Canada who only have Canadian citizenship and are absolute gits. They still get elected.

As for going to the US to get vaccinated, I also don’t see the issue. Get it where you can. As soon as you can. It means less clogging in the Canadian vaccination program.

#109 Doug in London on 05.05.21 at 12:51 pm

Tyler and Bruce:
You had the place north of Kingston only 2 years and if you sell now you get a capital gain of 250 grand you say? Wow, I feel lucky when I make a $1000 capital gain on sale of a stock or ETF. I’ve probably made that much in capital gains by now, but have been buying and selling mutual funds, stocks, and ETFs since 1990. If you don’t get that place listed RIGHT AWAY to cash in your winning lottery ticket I’ll make arrangements to have you both admitted to the Brockville Psychiatric Hospital. Well, what are you waiting for?

#110 IHCTD9 on 05.05.21 at 1:45 pm

#96 Dharma Bum on 05.05.21 at 9:29 am

Sucks to live in the GTA.

Unless you’re a geezer boomer.
___

It’s a developing story, but post-Trudeau *Canada* (except maybe Alberta) is well on the way to looking much the same.

By the time Trudeau is done, it’s going to suck living in the whole country – unless you’re a (liquid/hard asset owning) 40+ geezer.

I’m so damn glad I did not have to be young, and starting out building a life under folks like the Trudeau Liberals.

I would have succeeded anyway, but it would have been hard to watch my more conventional peers stagnate, and slowly lose their mental health as they struggled to move forward under a government whose sole focus appears to be driving them into the dirt.