At 19 I asked her to marry me. Apparently owning a used 1962 Ford Falcon was an insufficient net worth. She refused. At 22 she relented. We moved into an appalling hovel together. It was magical. Thus the journey began.

Over forty-nine years there’ve been moments of triumph and several big fails. Like most people, most marriages. Finding one true friend in life is a gift. Getting a pal who lets you try almost anything, and forgives the utterly stupid ideas, is even better. And I got one of those.

It’s all been together. Starting a half-dozen businesses, rescuing dead buildings, schmoozing careers, having employees, getting elected, meeting payrolls, moving too often, licking wounds and now aging. Our marriage took place during a time we both realize was favoured. No wars. No depression. No pandemic or angry climate, until now. The economy grew. We rolled along on it. Confidence in the future allowed risk and adventure. As a result my career has been anything but linear and, looking back, I would not have wanted it otherwise.

She was there when I lost my mind and said I wanted to sit in the House of Commons. Twice, 13 years apart. (I’m a slow learner.) She picked me up when defeats came or a prime minister finished me off. She was in the front row every night for eight years when I hit the road doing financial lecture gigs. She laughed sixteen hundred times at the same jokes. That takes grit.

She’s shouldered big loans, endured legal storms, survived my shaming and fought in my defence. She’s shared my stage when there was applause, and stood closer still when there was none. Private by nature, she was dragged by me into a public life. For her that was an uncomfortable sacrifice, and my gratitude is endless.

“The journey continues,” she said with a smile as I headed out. In time love swells into loyalty and trust. This endures. All else is noise.

Thank you Dorothy.

#1 Brett in Calgary on 08.21.20 at 9:49 am

Congrats you two.

#2 nonconfidencevote on 08.21.20 at 9:50 am

Well Done!

#3 Jay on 08.21.20 at 9:50 am

A rare sight these days and great accomplishment. Congratulations to you both.

#4 joblo on 08.21.20 at 9:50 am

Congrats to you two!

#5 Mr Happy on 08.21.20 at 9:55 am

Ah Garth…you have revealed the secret of why I call myself Mr Happy. It is not the money or success… It is having that special Someone beside you thru it all. We are not quite at 49 but not that far behind. Well done. Congrats to you both. Here’s to another 49!!

#6 Felix on 08.21.20 at 10:02 am

So typical of dogawful mutts, trying to wreck an important day.

You know Garth, she’s obviously too pretty and smart to not be a secret cat lover.

So get a couple of felines.

The next 49 will be even more awesome :)

#7 Dan on 08.21.20 at 10:03 am

Amazing

#8 Celine on 08.21.20 at 10:06 am

Congratulations Garth and Dorthy. Thank you Garth for sharing some of the highlights and insights learned along the way on your shared journey. stay well!

#9 Patricia on 08.21.20 at 10:07 am

Congratulations. You both look fabulous. It is so lovely to hear that somebody is happy…. Keep doing what you’re doing. I am proud of you.!

#10 Old School on 08.21.20 at 10:09 am

Congratulations , a 62 Falcon? I’d bet you wish you could tool around in that today. I had a 62 yellow Galaxie convertible. Gawd I wish I’d kept that car. It slept six comfortably.

#11 Sail Away on 08.21.20 at 10:11 am

Congratulations!

In our family, we measure time in dogs. So now you’ve been married for 5 dogs.

#12 Phylis on 08.21.20 at 10:16 am

Heartfelt congratulations. Now next year you better take the full day off.

#13 JOHN BEARDSMORE on 08.21.20 at 10:17 am

Looking good.

#14 Sail Away on 08.21.20 at 10:19 am

And, auspiciously, TSLA has chosen to celebrate this historic event with an alltime high!

#15 jerry on 08.21.20 at 10:21 am

Congratulations to you both. We just did 40 and I wish I had the requisite articulacy to express the fact that I feel exactly the same.

#16 Andrewski on 08.21.20 at 10:23 am

Congratulations Dorothy for putting up with Garth (Lol) for half a century. My better half & I celebrate 30 years soon & love to see couples who are committed through thick & thin!

#17 Chris on 08.21.20 at 10:23 am

Congratulations! We’ve been married 36 years, and I, like you, appreciate my partner more than ever.

#18 The West on 08.21.20 at 10:23 am

You succeeded first by earning, and cherishing, what money cannot buy. You are successful in business because you are a successful human being.

Congrats on a big milestone. It takes patience and a clear understanding of what is important to get to where you two have gotten to.

It is a happy Friday! :)

#19 That is beautiful on 08.21.20 at 10:24 am

That was absolutely lovely. Congratulations to you both! Many blessings today and going forward.

#20 bobo on 08.21.20 at 10:24 am

congrats – your greatest accomplishment – the journey not alone

#21 Bezengy on 08.21.20 at 10:25 am

And the country is a better place because of the likes of you lovebirds. Congratulations on your 49th!

#22 IHCTD9 on 08.21.20 at 10:25 am

Congrats Garth and Dorthy!

Fewer and fewer make it this far these days.

#23 Paterfamilias on 08.21.20 at 10:26 am

Bless you both.

#24 More Socks on 08.21.20 at 10:26 am

Is the CERB correlated with TSLA or is it just me? We may never need to work again with the Slovakian drama crew at our helm.

Congratulations Garth!

#25 baloney Sandwitch on 08.21.20 at 10:26 am

Came for my daily dose of Garth bitters but today he serves dessert for breakfast. Garth you lucky dog, you won the jackpot. Congratulations.

#26 Sail Away on 08.21.20 at 10:26 am

#5 Mr Happy on 08.21.20 at 9:55 am

—————-

In my experience, appreciating one’s good fortune and being happy is a choice. Strangely, though, those who choose to be happy and appreciative seem to celebrate more wedding anniversaries. Wonder if there’s a link?

#27 You are not alone ... on 08.21.20 at 10:29 am

I’m getting there myself with my better half. Congrats and many more years of bliss ..

#28 The Spectre on 08.21.20 at 10:33 am

That’s a beautiful love story!
All the best Garth & Dorothy!

Cheers!

#29 jane24 on 08.21.20 at 10:34 am

Congrats and I bet you have big plans for 50 next year. But Garth 49 and 22 is 71 years old. Do you not want to just do something else at this point. Smell the roses, enjoy the financial security you have built. Good health doesn’t last forever and then many doors are closed.

#30 Jeff Glenn on 08.21.20 at 10:35 am

Congrats Garth.

#31 Gordon K on 08.21.20 at 10:36 am

Congratulations to both and thank you for this tremendous blog.

#32 UtterlyConfusedCanadian on 08.21.20 at 10:39 am

Congratulations on enjoying the most important person in the world and ignoring the noise….

#33 Nixter on 08.21.20 at 10:39 am

A solid marriage, love it.
All the best.

#34 Justin Dwayne Trudeau, Ph.D on 08.21.20 at 10:40 am

I’m still early on in my marriage journey. If you could go back and tell 22 year old Garth something, what would it be?

#35 Cheese on 08.21.20 at 10:42 am

Congratulations and best wishes to you both

#36 TurnerNation on 08.21.20 at 10:44 am

Great photo.

……….
UBI + housing…what’s the plan? Things so moving so fast. Could things become crazier than we imagine?
Some are asking, from the internet – well in the old days you were given or assigned a plot of land in Kanada to homestead? Now, a kando?:

Quote: “There are Canadians who think they will get UBI and still be able to choose where they are housed.
Best case scenario is they will be entitled to so many square meters and the government will decide where those are. People in receipt of UBI will be moved to the boonies and used to populate underpopulated areas. You’ll get your new address in the mail one day and that will be that. Single people will live in communal dorms and share a kitchen. Families will live in family dorms and share a kitchen. This will be touted as a greener, ‘decarbonized’ way of living. Canada will have finally ‘progressed’ to the 1970s soviet union.”

— Reminds me of that crazy late 60’s predictions or leak text, allegedly for the New System:

Quote; “There would be no sympathy for them from the majority who dwelled in the apartments. Then these homes could be taken by increased taxes or other regulations that would be detrimental to home ownership [but] acceptable to the majority.
Ultimately, people would be assigned [to] where they would live and it would be common to have non-family members living with you … This would all be under the
control of a central housing authority. Have this in mind in 1990 when they ask, “How many bedrooms in your house? How many bathrooms in your house? Do you have a finished game room?” “

#37 Looking up on 08.21.20 at 10:47 am

Atta boy!

#38 Matsebula on 08.21.20 at 10:49 am

Garth and Dorothy, congratulations on 49 years! Hopefully many more happy years together!

#39 ImGonnaBeSick on 08.21.20 at 10:53 am

She also adopted 37m Canadians with you as you try to instill your fatherly wisdom into our thick skulls daily. Thanks and congratulations to both of you! It’s a bit too early to drink here, but to 49 more! Cheers!

#40 Comrade on 08.21.20 at 10:56 am

Congratulations!

The governor-general better send a letter next year!

#41 Drill Baby Drill on 08.21.20 at 11:00 am

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Turner. It is truly a rare gift to have a tremendous woman as a wife. I know from 40 yrs of experience that it is priceless.

#42 D on 08.21.20 at 11:01 am

Happy Anniversary Garth.

#43 Steel City Kid on 08.21.20 at 11:10 am

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary, Garth and Dorothy! I am a long time reader and beneficiary of Garth’s financial wisdom, and have often mean to comment, but this is the first time — couldn’t let today’s post couldn’t go by without mention. A moving tribute to a long marriage. You both look great — have wonderful day!

#44 Pearly Whites on 08.21.20 at 11:13 am

Congrats Garth on the journey! At 50 I want a smile in that photo – let’s see those pearly whites! :)

#45 DM in C on 08.21.20 at 11:14 am

Happy 49th!

We share your anniversary. Ours is the 27th today.

Two years ago we spent a month in Europe to celebrate our 25th. This year we are staying home, but bought a new king size bed set. Might go out for dinner.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

#46 the Jaguar on 08.21.20 at 11:17 am

Congratulations. Not sure about that tie with that shirt….

#47 sia_kb8 on 08.21.20 at 11:23 am

Congrats to you both! Also thank you for such a fantastic blog – it has been a huge positive for our family.

#48 Do we have all the facts on 08.21.20 at 11:24 am

My parents met during WW 2 and were happily married for over 60 years.

Finding someone who is capable of adjusting to the trials and tribulations that life serves up is true blessing.

To all who have found their soulmate I wish you continued happiness.

To those that tried and failed I offer my empathic condolences.

#49 JB CONDO DEATH on 08.21.20 at 11:26 am

Congrats to the both of you. You have been married longer than I have walked on this earth. I only wish the best for the both of you and your life together may it be blessed. I have been on that wharf and Lunenburg is absolutely a beautiful town.

#50 G on 08.21.20 at 11:27 am

It’s always nice to hear about others journey that overall sounds pretty good. Glade you both found each other to love and support through the tougher times too. And some how you even found the energy and time to try and help others along the way. Is that a recent picture, you don’t look old enough to be married for 49 years. I hope you both have many more good years together. All the Best to you both. and Bandit too of course.

Picture snapped Tuesday. Have aged considerably since then. – Garth

#51 Lefty on 08.21.20 at 11:29 am

Awesome, contrats to you!

#52 Aggie on 08.21.20 at 11:33 am

Thank you for sharing your celebration of a life well shared, Garth. I’d also love to hear how you’ve supported her in her own endeavours…

#53 Inequity on 08.21.20 at 11:38 am

Congratulations and Dog bless.

#54 KS on 08.21.20 at 11:39 am

Congrats, you two are an inspiration of a life well lived together.

#55 SmileyGalYYC on 08.21.20 at 11:41 am

Beautiful post Garth. Congrats to you and Dorothy. I needed a happy cry this morning.

#56 Raf on 08.21.20 at 11:49 am

Very happy for you!!

I also met my soulmate 15 years ago.
We been through fun stuff, health issues, moves.

We now have kids and I’m hoping I can do the best for them.

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time, it is much appreciated the work you do. I believe you love people and your country. Hats off to you.

I just wish some incompetent, narrow minded politicians loved people and their country more rather than their political career and getting elected.

#57 IT in YYC on 08.21.20 at 11:53 am

7+ years reading, first comment – congrats on being such good life partners for each other. We’re close to 28 years
together and it does make life a lot easier. Thx for all you do for us financial illiterates!

#58 Swanson on 08.21.20 at 11:53 am

Happy anniversary Dorothy and Garth!

#59 George on 08.21.20 at 11:54 am

Congratulations!

#60 Wish you were here on 08.21.20 at 11:58 am

Congratulations Dorothy and Garth ! , enjoy the ‘time’ together while you can, everything else is absolutely noise.

#61 darrell ~ on 08.21.20 at 12:04 pm

“Happy 49th Anniversary, Dorothy and Garth” ..!!

As one who has followed your blog pretty much since its early beginings plus having had the distinct thrill of meeting you both, in my (and in many) minds, there is no doubt that you are TWO TERRIFIC CANADIANS.

Blessings to you dear folks and beloved-boy Bandit..!!

#62 Lee on 08.21.20 at 12:06 pm

You’re both very fortunate. Congratulations.

#63 Calgarian on 08.21.20 at 12:09 pm

Reading your article gave me goose bumps and watered my eyes. Sincere congratulations to both of you.

#64 Piano_Man87 on 08.21.20 at 12:13 pm

Congratulations on a lovely long marriage you two. It sounds like you two have had a fun, interesting life so far!

The perpetual question: what’s next?

#65 Left Shore on 08.21.20 at 12:15 pm

Beautiful. Exactly how I feel about my Lucy. We’re on our 66th year together. I owned a decrepit ’48 English Ford. The ’62 Falcon came later.

#66 PBrasseur on 08.21.20 at 12:17 pm

Quite touching, congratulations!

#67 Wicked as it seems on 08.21.20 at 12:17 pm

Congrats Garth and Dorothy, you have had a really good innings.

#68 Prussian Blue on 08.21.20 at 12:17 pm

Congratulations!
The journey continues….how about pulling a Biden?
I am sure many would vote for you to be the next prime minister

#69 R Appleton on 08.21.20 at 12:19 pm

What a lovely journey, thanks for sharing.

#70 WTF on 08.21.20 at 12:24 pm

NICE! Lovely Wife, Lucky man.

U R a Tad overdressed for the Lunenburg Dock Mr Come From Away. Congrats!

#71 DON on 08.21.20 at 12:24 pm

Happy Anniversary Dorothy and Garth!

Very touching blog. Thank you for sharing.

I searched for and found my love. But she no longers wants to discuss automotive repairs in our spare time (lol) but i can still count on her to be there with a wrench in her hand when i need the help or encouragement to finish the job.

Cheers!

#72 Not so handy Andy on 08.21.20 at 12:25 pm

Congratulations to both of you and happy anniversary!

#73 Sail Away on 08.21.20 at 12:25 pm

Garth, after moving to your sleepy hamlet, it appears your relaxation could use some work.

And further, I’d wager good money yours was the only tie in evidence in Lunenberg that day.

#74 yvr_lurker on 08.21.20 at 12:26 pm

Congratulations to you both. Having a successful but also happy marriage over 49 years is a great accomplishment. The suit and tie though look rather incongruous with those red fishing buildings of Lunenberg. Stil Bay street at heart? I own one suit; it is plenty.

#75 paul on 08.21.20 at 12:27 pm

Wow just Wow,

#76 Ronaldo on 08.21.20 at 12:32 pm

Congratulations to you and Dorothy. I had the pleasure of meeting both of you after a speaking event in Kelowna about 10 years ago and also Nanaimo where I now live. I attended a 50 year anniversary a few years back for a couple who were my neighbours and I remember someone asking the husband what was the secret to their long marriage. He replied “it’s really quite simple, just be kind to each other”. I think that pretty much says it all.

#77 FreeBird on 08.21.20 at 12:34 pm

For you and Dorothy. Lyrics seemed to fit. Hope you enjoy and thank you for being role models showing true love is a verb and only gets better with time.

#78 Oakville Rocks! on 08.21.20 at 12:35 pm

Congratulations Garth & Dorothy!

Looking good and young as ever.

Best wishes and thank you to Dorothy for lending Garth for a short time to the great riding of Oakville, North Burlington, Milton.

At this time, our sitting government could use a few more like Garth who have the courage to speak up to their bosses and remind them who they serve.

#79 Jenna on 08.21.20 at 12:37 pm

Beautiful !! Congratulations !!

#80 Nick on 08.21.20 at 12:40 pm

Congratulations on such a long and lovely marriage to both of you.
Kind regards,
Nick

#81 binky barnes on 08.21.20 at 12:40 pm

Congratulations Garth. You are a lucky man, indeed.

BB

#82 cramar on 08.21.20 at 12:40 pm

Congratulations to you and Dorothy!

“Family Matters.”

It is ironic that your posting (and anniversary) comes a day after the DNC where the emphasis was on Joe Biden’s relationship to his family. An exceptionally fine human being! Maybe what the world needs now to lead the most powerful nation on Earth.

There is a lot in common between the Bidens and Turners when it comes to marriage. Both of you have had tremendous support from your life partner. You both would not be where you are today without your wives’ reinforcement against the storms of life.

May you have decades more together and grow old in greater love and appreciation.

(P.S. Just celebrated 52 last month.)

#83 Crimsen on 08.21.20 at 12:43 pm

Congratulations Garth! I’m a younger reader who has already been through many ups and downs in life (hard childhood, happy marriage, sudden loss, cancer twice). While I was once ambitious, I’ve slowly become risk averse. I sometimes envy those who seem to know what they are doing in this life! This posts shows me that you can take risks, fail or succeed, and still be more than okay in life with some wisdom and support. Thank you!

#84 Cottagers STAY THE HELL AWAY! on 08.21.20 at 12:44 pm

#48 Do we have all the facts

My parents met during WW 2 and were happily married for over 60 years.

————————————————————

You married your sister!? More than once!?

STAY AWAY FROM COTTAGE COUNTRY YOU INBRED SOUTHERN HILLBILLY!

Just.

Stay.

Home.

#85 forgotmyusername on 08.21.20 at 12:46 pm

The spouse and I are little behind on the number tally, but in full agreement on the sentiment.

A solid marriage is one of life’s best treasures.

And they don’t just happen. You have to take the leap, show up and do the work.

Thanks for modeling the best type of success. Thanks for sharing decades of hard-earned wisdom, served up with wit and humour!

#86 Lee Todd on 08.21.20 at 12:56 pm

Big congrats on this tremendous milestone. What you and Dorothy have is real wealth. May both of you have lots of another form of real wealth – good health – so that you can continue on your life’s journey together for the rest of your days.
It is so good to know that there are shining examples in this crazy world where so many have lost their way, and hope along with it. Perhaps your story will inspire a few to reflect upon what really matters in this life.
Well done you two!

#87 FreeBird on 08.21.20 at 12:57 pm

Note to say song was about falling on each other when needed. Along with post was a much needed positive break from today’s crazy world.

#88 Uneventful plot hole on 08.21.20 at 12:58 pm

You’re a lucky man. Congratulations

#89 Gen Z on 08.21.20 at 1:02 pm

Our generation will never get unconditional love from a woman here unless we move to South-East Asia, where the Canadian government is trying to feminize the islands.

#90 Big English on 08.21.20 at 1:05 pm

Thank you Garth for sharing your love of your wife.
Thank you Dorothy for supporting a good man and making him feel great.

#91 cmj on 08.21.20 at 1:09 pm

Congratulations, Garth and Dorothy! The twists and turns of your 49 years together bring wisdom and integrity to Greater Fools. Dorothy, thanks for the added fuel you give to Garth so he is able to bring controversial topics to our amazing and pathetic blog. We so appreciate your sharing Garth with us!

#92 KNOW IT ALL on 08.21.20 at 1:13 pm

LUCKY!

#93 Congratulations on 08.21.20 at 1:14 pm

May you have many more happy years together. My better half and I just celebrated year 31 of marriage.

#94 Surfsideboomer on 08.21.20 at 1:14 pm

Have an amazing day Garth and Dorothy. All the best to you both on reaching this milestone! Wishing you many more years together.

#95 AGuyInVancouver on 08.21.20 at 1:17 pm

Congratulations!

I also heartily approve of the jaunty moustache curl!

#96 Sask to AB on 08.21.20 at 1:18 pm

Congratulations to you both!!!!!
We celebrated our 23rd in March.
All the best…..

F57AB

#97 Skiier on 08.21.20 at 1:19 pm

Amazing, beautiful story, enjoyed reading this! Thank you for sharing! Congratulations to you and Dorothy! Still looking for my “Garth”, sure hope to have a similar story someday. Best!

#98 Catalyst on 08.21.20 at 1:20 pm

Congratulations to you both!

#99 Westcdn on 08.21.20 at 1:21 pm

Congratulations GT. A good marriage is about being adaptable and listening. And for dog’s sake, admit your mistakes and make amends. Today I may be a zero but tomorrow I may be a hero.

#100 Barb on 08.21.20 at 1:26 pm

Truly wonderful blog post and photo.
Dorothy’s a saint!
Congrats to you both.

We’re at 49 yrs too…

I hope Bandit’s tummy is better.

#101 Iguana on 08.21.20 at 1:27 pm

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing a love story…We just celebrated our 30th three days ago with a walk along a ridge west of ‘Turner’ Valley, AB. Not kidding.

I’m a long-time reader, but this story deserved my first comment.

Blessings to you and yours.

#102 NoName on 08.21.20 at 1:27 pm

Congrats!

#103 Renzo on 08.21.20 at 1:30 pm

In a very low point in my life, a dear friend asked that I think about what would be on my mind when I draw my very last breathe, and focus my life on that. Thanks for sharing what will be on your mind.

#104 paracho on 08.21.20 at 1:31 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy .
You got a great one Garth !

#105 WAKEUP on 08.21.20 at 1:32 pm

She must have a high threshold for pain;)
Congratulations you guys, it’s no easy.

#106 Randy Savage on 08.21.20 at 1:33 pm

Best piece you’ve ever written!……..Bravo!

#107 Dee on 08.21.20 at 1:39 pm

Congratulations on a life well lived and a wonderful example shown to all of us!

#108 Eco Capitalist on 08.21.20 at 1:44 pm

Congratulations to you both!

Has Dorothy’s career path been as varied as yours?

#109 Grazie on 08.21.20 at 1:45 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy! Many more amazing and wonderful years for you both.

#110 Moose on 08.21.20 at 1:48 pm

All the best to both of you and many more years of happiness together.

#111 The Wet One on 08.21.20 at 1:52 pm

Congrats to you two.

I hope I can say the same that far in the future.

Cheers!

#112 Rob in Toronto on 08.21.20 at 1:52 pm

Congratulations to you, Garth and Dorothy!

We both share a “stay together throughout the years” habit with you guys, with us hitting 51 this past June after first meeting at EXPO 67 in Montreal. How time flies when you’re having fun, eh?

#113 Beagleface on 08.21.20 at 1:54 pm

Happy happy 49th wedding anniversary to Dorothy and Garth. You are an inspiration to all of us through your selfless devotion to each other, and your tireless efforts to educate us in all things financial. All the best to you two and Bandit. xo

#114 Amral on 08.21.20 at 1:59 pm

As a regular reader of your blog. I rarely comment. But this one deserves a few words. Marriages in these modern times rarely lasts this long. I congratulate you both raise my cup of chai in salutations to both of you. Stay safe and next year will be the big 50.

#115 Mikeshouse on 08.21.20 at 1:59 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy.

#116 Yuus bin Haad on 08.21.20 at 2:01 pm

“It’s a full life Charlie.” – Jules Feiffer

#117 SimplyPut7 on 08.21.20 at 2:02 pm

Congrats

#118 Doug Bennett on 08.21.20 at 2:05 pm

Hi Garth

Lynne and I were married the same summer as you and Dorothy, also as university students. But rather than a “hovel” we had a lovely second-floor apartment (with sunroom) at Lowther and Brunswick which we shared with another newly-wed couple. They are long-divorced and he is now the Principal Secretary to “Comrade” Horgan.

Lynne and I stayed true to our “socialist” roots, each being twice sacrificial lambs for the NDP in hopeless ridings. (I ran against Mike Harris.)

Lest you think we are too far gone, we have all our investments with you.

For our anniversary this year, we had tickets to Cosi Fan Tutti at the Palais Garnier in Paris. Oh well, maybe for our 50th next summer (but I’m doubtful unless there is an excellent vaccine in the meantime).

Wishing you and Dorothy many more happy anniversaries.

M70ON

#119 Ardy on 08.21.20 at 2:05 pm

God bless. Here’s to 49 more…

#120 TurnerNation on 08.21.20 at 2:09 pm

Speaking of Smoking Man the Duke of Devon patio despite being set up has not re-opened this year. A little late now.
A fitting repose for the man who sold a sht bung at the top then fled this country before it really went downtown

#121 AM in MN on 08.21.20 at 2:10 pm

So heartwarming to see all of the notes of congratulations, which seems like a normal response because it ignores the trends of our modern western world.

It seems society is bi-furcating, into those who value lifelong marriage and stable families and those who don’t.

Have to admit I’m one of them, because I can’t change how other people choose to live.

I’m glad my son got to attend both sets of grandparents 50th anniversaries a few years ago, and we send him to a school where pretty much every kid in the school goes home to their two married parents every night.

We do try and teach him that for many children in the world today, that isn’t the case, and certainly wouldn’t be if he went to a public school. It’s worth the sacrifice though, hopefully he follows the tradition.

When the storms hit….and they do, family is what gets you through.

#122 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.21.20 at 2:11 pm

Garth, you’re lucky you did not own an F-150 at that time.
Dorothy would have dumped you right away.
Next year is the big one. Start saving for the gift.
Alles Gute

#123 SHANE GALLANT on 08.21.20 at 2:13 pm

Congratulations Garth all the best! I have been a hugh fan for many years.

#124 VicPaul on 08.21.20 at 2:14 pm

Very nicely done, Garth. )

What has become clearer to me over my lifetime, is that good men want to honour their most important friend; we do adore them, are fiercely protective of them, in awe of their gift of children (if so inclined) and sometimes demonstrate it in ways that are abstract, obscure or goofy (of course, occasionally we absolutely nail it!). Trust and loyalty are two tenets of a strong friendship between or among anyone.
My hope is for stronger family units going forward and that starts with relationships between women and men. More healthy, committed relationships mean stronger, more resilient family dynamics and more interconnected, successful communities.
It all starts with a couple of young’uns who know in their hearts that they’re ready and committed to the journey of discovery that makes up a life.

Happ Anny G & D!

#125 Freedom First on 08.21.20 at 2:25 pm

Happy 49th to you, Dorothy and Garth!

With respect and admiration for you both.

Freedom First

#126 David on 08.21.20 at 2:27 pm

Even without your money, you’re a wealthy man Garth! Congratulations to you both. PS – Who gets to clean up after the dog?

#127 Linda on 08.21.20 at 2:30 pm

Congratulations! May the journey together continue for many more happy years to come:)

#128 Stealth on 08.21.20 at 2:30 pm

Garth did you buy her an etf for her anniversary again?
I tried does not work even for a well diversified one.

#129 CJohnC on 08.21.20 at 2:31 pm

A wonderful column. Happy Anniversary and wishing you many more.

#130 Paul on 08.21.20 at 2:32 pm

Congratulations and best wishes!!

#131 Overheardyou on 08.21.20 at 2:34 pm

Congrats on your 49th! May there be many more to come! Canada needs you more than ever, both of you :)

#132 old gringo on 08.21.20 at 2:46 pm

Congrat’s to you both.
It is getting more and more unusual to see a couple happily married this long.
It bodes well.
ps….. Bandit does favor youGarth, it appears.
Dorothy is better looking!!!

#133 mj on 08.21.20 at 2:50 pm

great picture of both of you, congratulations

#134 Rachel on 08.21.20 at 2:50 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy! Marriage isn’t easy, so way to go for sticking it through 49 years. Here is to many many more! Thank you for your blog;

#135 ABK on 08.21.20 at 2:52 pm

One of your best posts Garth. Congratulations to you both! All the very best for many more happy and healthy anniversaries!

#136 AS on 08.21.20 at 2:55 pm

Congratulations and thanks for packaging your invaluable thoughts and experiences and sharing it with us so openly. My best

#137 Paul on 08.21.20 at 2:56 pm

Congratulations and happy anniversary!
Thanks for the blog and sharing.

#138 Vic on 08.21.20 at 2:58 pm

Beautiful, Garth! Your best post yet. Congratulations you two and to Dorothy, thank you for getting him this far. We appreciate the hell out of you both.

#139 Bill on 08.21.20 at 2:59 pm

Congrats on your 49th Garth and Dorothy!
Garth you for a a true gentleman….and I say brave. Life is full of pothole and it sounds like you’ve hit some big ones. I have as well.
Thanks for the blog and allowing us fools to spew…

#140 Purrfect on 08.21.20 at 3:00 pm

What a lovely couple. Rarely comment here but the picture inspired me to do so. So a question Garth, what percentage of your success do you attribute to the dynamic Dorothy? A little personal perhaps but as a client I thought maybe you’d allow me to ask.

#141 Gramps on 08.21.20 at 3:03 pm

Way to go!
So many things to be grateful for, but a happy marriage is number 1!
In 49 years I’m sure you have had ups and downs, it’s a testament to fine character in you both.

#142 Barb on 08.21.20 at 3:05 pm

#118 Doug Bennett on 08.21.20 at 2:05 pm

“…The problem is do we get another? A dog we may well not out-live? I’m in line for another male Airedale that will be born later this month, but still haven’t decided if we will take it. Any advice blog-dogs?”
—————————-

Exactly the decision we were faced with when our uber-gentle GS Kia passed in 2016…it would be the first time in 44 years that we would be without a German Shepherd.

Tough decision, but advancing years made us eventually decide no more dogs for us. It wouldn’t be fair to a new dog.

But oh how lonely the last 4 years have been: no wagging tail at the gate when we return from town; no gentle eyes watching us enjoy our grandson; no paw on the knee suggesting it was time for a walk up the hill; no grateful look when replacing the bowl with fresh water.

Still hurts like hell.
Best wishes making your difficult decision.

#143 Dolce Vita on 08.21.20 at 3:09 pm

49 the new 29.

Brindisi cent’anni.

#144 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 08.21.20 at 3:11 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy
Happy 49th and many more returns

Love is Love

#145 Josef on 08.21.20 at 3:13 pm

Congratulations Garth!! Please thank your wife for allowing you to continue your blog. It has opened my eyes to the world of finance which has helped lay a financial foundation for my family.

#146 H Squared on 08.21.20 at 3:14 pm

Very inspiring.
Congrats, and all the best!!

#147 Danger Dan on 08.21.20 at 3:16 pm

Happy Anniversary, Mr and Mrs Turner!

#148 Chimingin on 08.21.20 at 3:17 pm

Congratulations Dorothy and Garth! A lovely milestone, celebrated in a truly beautiful place. Be well. (You too, Bandit!)

#149 cuke and tomato picker on 08.21.20 at 3:18 pm

I have also been married for 49 wonderful years. Also a varied life. Fruit stand-education as BC teachers large cherry orchard in the okanagan – vending machines at a call center with 700 employees that went 24 hours a day –
fruit brokering- owned 4 houses 3 on acreage owned recreational property on a lake – rentals. Now enjoy – each other -our children – travelling – free time -perfect grandson.

#150 Biker on 08.21.20 at 3:19 pm

Feeling inspired by you both. Congratulations!

#151 Hookshott on 08.21.20 at 3:21 pm

#121 AM in MN

………..
What a disgusting, elitist statement!

#152 aW on 08.21.20 at 3:22 pm

Congrats Garth & Dot !
I want what you have.
God bless

#153 Dustmaker on 08.21.20 at 3:28 pm

All the best Garth!
And thank you.

#154 John S Brydle on 08.21.20 at 3:32 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy. I wish you both many more years of partnership. Cheers!

#155 ESiu on 08.21.20 at 3:32 pm

Congrats to you both!

I just gave my wife another big hug.

#156 The Raven on 08.21.20 at 3:33 pm

Congratulations to the two of you. You give me hope for ‘future’ in the ‘now’ that seems so bleak. Good on ya!!!

#157 blintor on 08.21.20 at 3:37 pm

I raise a glass to you two! Congrats!

#158 Ambrose&Vasanti on 08.21.20 at 3:40 pm

Congratulations Dorothy. And also to you Garth. Wish you all the best for the next several years.

I wished Dorothy first, because it is they who keep us men going, inspiring and ensuring our success in every step of the way on a journey called life.

I know; because I have a Dorothy too but her name is Vasanti. Staying with me in every step of the way for the since 1979. I tell everyone that she is 60% and I am only 40%

Congrats again Dorothy, and you too Garth.

#159 Stone on 08.21.20 at 3:45 pm

Congrats to both of you. 49 years. Looking good.

Garth, are you sporting handlebars or is that a trick of the light?

#160 dutch3505 on 08.21.20 at 3:46 pm

Congratulations

#161 Cowtown Cowboy on 08.21.20 at 3:46 pm

Congrats Garth and Dorothy!

I got the gov’t to send out a certificate this year for my parent’s 60th, they were tickled.

Live Long and Prosper!

#162 MicroGX on 08.21.20 at 3:48 pm

Inspiring. Thanks for sharing

#163 Maesies on 08.21.20 at 3:48 pm

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary!!!

#164 raisemyrent on 08.21.20 at 3:48 pm

Congratulations. Beautiful post. You almost share the date with my wife’s grandparents (by a day). They’re going 70+ years strong.
And our dog threw up on the carpet yesterday. It was the ribs… they’ve got to keep you on your toes.

#165 Stan Brooks on 08.21.20 at 3:50 pm

The lady is pretty patient, a treasury in my mind. I would be grateful and thankful too.

Cheers,

#166 lionsroarin64 on 08.21.20 at 3:51 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy – Garth, your tender eloquence on this occasion is probably the nicest gift Dorothy could receive.

#167 Roc on 08.21.20 at 3:53 pm

Congrats! Today’s post brought a tear to my eye.

You and your blog encouraged me to start investing instead of buying a condo. Been a reader for years. Thank you!

#168 LP on 08.21.20 at 3:54 pm

I’m sitting here in tears because I didn’t get 49 years. Forty-six was wonderful, but not enough!

For just a moment, Garth, I thought you had a ghost of a smile. But on closer examination I believe I’m wrong. Surely she deserves that. Try harder! Next year I’ll be checking again; work up to it, practice in front of the mirror. I know you can do it.

#169 AM in MN on 08.21.20 at 3:55 pm

#151 Hookshott on 08.21.20 at 3:21 pm
#121 AM in MN

………..
What a disgusting, elitist statement!

———————————————

It’s not “elitist”, it comes at great sacrifice, and same for many of the other parents, none of whom are wealthy.

We make this sacrifice because of our belief system, which includes the sanctity of marriage, monogamous and life long, which is not held by many in society today and certainly not taught as a preferred way of living in the public schools anywhere in the western world.

When I started public school in BC as a young boy at the tail end of WAC Bennett’s days, we started off school in the morning with a bible reading, saying the lord’s prayer and singing the national anthem. Where could you find that today?

All of my extended family thrives more than they otherwise would because of lifelong first marriages. It isn’t talked about a lot on this blog, but it is one of the big parts of this bi-furcation of society financially between the marrieds and not.

The more I watch much of society choose to throw away all that our ancestors knew to be true, the less guilty I feel for picking the side that I did.

#170 Darryl on 08.21.20 at 3:58 pm

Congrats , Both of you !

#171 The Great White Socialist North on 08.21.20 at 4:04 pm

#121 AM in MN

………..
What a disgusting, elitist statement!

==================================

Thank god that there are still regular families where they remember their grandparent/parents, their roots, their life have meaning and are fulfilled not by a trip to the mall or by web surfing/streaming. If they happen to be among the top 1-5% so be it, who said life has to be fair ?? I lived in socialism and life was unfair, what do you expect that Trudeau will give you his trust fund entitlement.. nope, he wants to take it from these hard working people, instead of taxing the FAANGS and bleed them dry.

Hookshott??? suck it up, buttercup…ROTFL and long live the “elites”, for they gave you the Covid19 Hysteria…lol

#172 Lost...but not leased on 08.21.20 at 4:07 pm

Congrats GARTH !!!

Met my better half in our Grade 11 High School English class..1975….the only class we shared…it was that olde school magic..one knew aka gut feeling this was going to go long term.

We have ” little in common “diverse backgrounds etc. …LOL ….which translates into a magical life – long commitment/ connection that the younger groups appears to have lost.

#173 R on 08.21.20 at 4:10 pm

Congratulations ! I met my wife, Pat, on a Fri 13th, on a blind date.(Aug 1971). She has been my trusted partner since. We celebrated our 47th anniversary last week . May love and light bless you guys going foreword.

#174 Nick in Halifax on 08.21.20 at 4:11 pm

Any interest in doing another round of financial lectures? How about starting near your new home in Halifax?

#175 In Garth, Not God We Trust on 08.21.20 at 4:11 pm

Congrats Garth and Dorothy! That is quite the accomplishment! Wishing you both another 50 years of happiness, health and prosperity. As Jack Rabbit Johannsen said about his life at age 100, “the first 50 were great, the next 50 were even better!” ( He lived to 112 and cross country skied until the age of 105..)

#176 Guru Raghav on 08.21.20 at 4:15 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy!!

Staying together through thick and thin.. very sweet and inspirational story..

Thanks for taking time to share your knowledge and educating us..

#177 Lunar Notion on 08.21.20 at 4:20 pm

Congratulations Garth! Very nice post and sentiment. May we all be so lucky!

#178 M Baker on 08.21.20 at 4:20 pm

Congratulations to you both, have a great Anniversary!

MB

#179 Robert B on 08.21.20 at 4:21 pm

Congrats Garth to you and Dorothy.
49 years with the same woman takes a lot of “Yes dear, no dears” ….I just celebrated 30 years on the 18th. I wouldn’t change any of those years…

All the best to you and we’ll celebrate 50 next year for you two…

#180 bruce on 08.21.20 at 4:23 pm

Beautiful..we have been married 34 years and nothing has been better. Maybe John Lennom was right in saying all you need is love.

#181 Jake on 08.21.20 at 4:23 pm

Marriage can be beautiful and a battle. Congrats to you both! 31 and counting here.

#182 slam on 08.21.20 at 4:26 pm

Congrats to you both and thanks for sharing! Please, another 49 even better years!

#183 BG on 08.21.20 at 4:29 pm

49 years. Wow. Congrats!

#184 Pat on 08.21.20 at 4:41 pm

Congrats to you both. Thank you for sharing yourself all these years. You ground us & show us the way!

#185 broader mind on 08.21.20 at 4:47 pm

Now you truly have some very impressive bragging rights. Congrats and thank you for sharing.

#186 Loonie Doctor on 08.21.20 at 4:49 pm

A real blessing.

#187 ts on 08.21.20 at 4:53 pm

Congratulations and best wishes on your anniversary!

Lovely post – very inspiring.

#188 Raks Qor on 08.21.20 at 4:57 pm

Congratulations!!! I don’t agree with all you write, but appreciate the time you spend.

To many many more years. I’ll raise a glass to you both tonight!

R.

#189 Bob on 08.21.20 at 5:00 pm

You’re a lucky old coot!

#190 BG on 08.21.20 at 5:01 pm

Congrats to you both.
I had an AMC Gremlin and she still married me. 43 years now. You’d be a rich man even if you didn’t have a penny.
Thanks for sharing your financial wisdom all these years.

#191 Habitt on 08.21.20 at 5:03 pm

Gulp. I cried gulp. She is beautiful and you are very fortunate. I am equally blessed. Love Bandit. Thanks for being you and a bunch of other stuff. Please excuse me I need a box of tissues. God bless ❤️ You old fox.

#192 WTF on 08.21.20 at 5:03 pm

#84 Cottage Nazi “In spite of an excellent example of true love both my sister and I were not so lucky and our only attempts at marital bliss ended in divorce.”

AND you call others hillbillies? :-)

#193 John on 08.21.20 at 5:04 pm

Congratulations for your success in career and marriage!

#194 Jimmy Zhao on 08.21.20 at 5:06 pm

.•*¨*•.¸¸Congratulations ¸¸.•*¨*•…

#195 Kentaro on 08.21.20 at 5:07 pm

Congrats, Garth. You’re a lucky man. It’s hard to find a good woman.

P.S. Love your Covid-focused blog. Not sure why you post about real estate so much, though…

#196 Tracey on 08.21.20 at 5:11 pm

This beautiful tribute moved me to tears. The most important decision of your life is who you will spend it with, and you both obviously decided well. Sincere congratulations.

#197 Jason Reed on 08.21.20 at 5:15 pm

Congratulations Garth!

We named my daughter Dorothy, after her great grandmother, who at 93 is still a selfless, corageous, grateful, loving woman. I hope my daughter grows into the name that seems to be attached only to very fine people.

Oh…and you definitely married up! (well done)

#198 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.21.20 at 5:17 pm

Congrats to the obviously happily married couple.
49 years is most impressive.

#199 dosouth on 08.21.20 at 5:26 pm

Well done to you both. Enjoy the day!

#200 Billy Buoy on 08.21.20 at 5:28 pm

Congrats for many more…Dorothy truly is a saint!

#201 Patricia on 08.21.20 at 5:28 pm

Happy 49th anniversary. And a lovely tribute to Dorothy this is. I wish you both many more to come.

We are coming to 46 years next month and it is true that our gratitude for that one special friend grows each year.

#202 MF on 08.21.20 at 5:32 pm

Badass (can we say that?) moustache Garth.

And congrats. Beautiful post. My parents have been married for a similar amount of time. They got married in 1969. Amazing.

MF

#203 Geoffrey Laudat on 08.21.20 at 5:44 pm

Congratulations on your milestone, may you celebrate many more.

#204 Basil Exposition on 08.21.20 at 5:46 pm

Happy Anniversary to you and your lovely Dorothy. Thank you for the many years of service to your readership. May Dog bless you both.

#205 Deplorable Dude on 08.21.20 at 5:47 pm

Happy Anniversary!

I gotta ways to go to catch you, currently at 27 years…seems like a century (don’t tell the wife)…..

#206 MaryEn on 08.21.20 at 5:53 pm

Lovely! Congratulations to you both!

#207 Peppy Sue on 08.21.20 at 5:55 pm

Well, that was beautiful…my favourite post of the year so far. Congratulations on the biggest win anyone should hope for. We celebrated 36 years together earlier this month. Happy Anniversary Garth and Dorothy, and cheers to many more.

#208 bellend on 08.21.20 at 5:55 pm

blessings to both of you

#209 Adrian on 08.21.20 at 6:00 pm

Congratulations to both of you on your amazing journey!

#210 Adam on 08.21.20 at 6:01 pm

Congratulations on so many happy years together, and hopefully many more. I am going on two years with my girlfriend; so far, so good. Hopefully at least 40 more.

#211 Nonplused on 08.21.20 at 6:04 pm

Congratulations and happy anniversary (I assume).

#212 Classical Liberal Millennial on 08.21.20 at 6:08 pm

Congrats and thank you Dorothy for not dragging his ass away from this blog yet!!

#213 dr talc on 08.21.20 at 6:08 pm

Congratulations!!!

No dog pictures today???

Ok :

#214 Scott on 08.21.20 at 6:17 pm

Congratulations . You are truly wealthy .

#215 Mattl on 08.21.20 at 6:19 pm

Love this post and congrats. This hits close to home – I also have a partner that has allowed me to take some chances, never ending work travel, etc.

#216 salty dawg on 08.21.20 at 6:21 pm

What a delightful, magical story!
Happy Anniversary Garth & Dorothy!

And thanks for the great blog! I’ve learned a lot.

#217 Alberta Ed on 08.21.20 at 6:24 pm

Congratulations! What a fine tribute to you both. We celebrated our 51st this year, lots of ups and downs, challenges galore, and it has all been worth it.

#218 Nonplused on 08.21.20 at 6:28 pm

#118 Doug Bennett on 08.21.20 at 2:05 pm

“Dogs become problematic at our age. We lost our Airedale, Simon, last fall at 14.5. (Hope Bandit makes 15 at least.) The problem is do we get another? A dog we may well not out-live? I’m in line for another male Airedale that will be born later this month, but still haven’t decided if we will take it. Any advice blog-dogs?”

——————————

Anyone who reads my comments knows you don’t ask for advice without getting some from me.

Based on the numbers (49+22) I calculate Garth to be 71. Assuming you are the same age….

Airedales are pretty big dogs so whether you can exercise it would be the main thing I would consider. But as for dogs in general they get born and they got to live somewhere. For example my dog was found as an abandoned pup in a ditch on a reserve. The people that found him took him to an animal shelter as they got lots of dogs already on the reserve. He ended up with us and has a happy life. I don’t know if he remembers being alone in the ditch with his brother but if he does I am sure he thanks his lucky stars every day.

So obviously I am making a plug for a rescue dog. If it outlives you, someone will probably adopt it, and every rescue animal that finds a forever home is a win for humanity. At least we can do that one thing right.

There are plenty of dogs at the rescue that aren’t going to outlive you but need a new forever home. Some of them are quite well trained and lovely but for some reason they have ended up homeless, and everyone wants puppies so sometimes the older dogs languish at the rescue. The people that work there get to know the dogs quite well and won’t hesitate to tell you if the dog isn’t suitable for you and your family.

That’s my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

#219 Leon T on 08.21.20 at 6:30 pm

Dog Bless! Cheers to many more years ahead you two!

#220 crossbordershopper on 08.21.20 at 6:31 pm

In Northern Sask , no one really gets married anymore, its a historical legacy. No fancy weddings, no family and friends only weddings, no long term commitments at all.
What I see is straight common law relationships with “my girlfriend”, so I asked someone this girlfriend of yours, you know the one you currently live with and have children together with, how do your children refer you and their mother as ? He didn’t understand the question, I said, its not about you, slim shaddy, its about your kids, and he just shrugged his shoulders, I said exactly, so when your kids aren’t there in your old age when you need them, they will refer to you as ya the old guy who I lived with when I was young.

#221 IHCTD9 on 08.21.20 at 6:42 pm

At 19 I asked her to marry me.
—-

Ahh, the good old days! My MIL was married at 18. I got hitched at 26 (Gen X). Millennials are marrying around 30. My gen Z kids will (If) likely tie the knot even later.

#222 Winterpeg on 08.21.20 at 6:43 pm

You may come across crusty, but you’re an old softie.
A wonderful tribute to Dorothy and your 49 years together. Congratulations.

#223 Christine Chalmers on 08.21.20 at 6:43 pm

Awe, Dorothy is beautiful and you two look amazing together!

Congratulations to both of you for finding true love and learning how to nurture it.

That’s an art that’s been lost on the majority of the younger generations, who’ve succumbed to the pressures of media and advertising to devote all their energy to nurturing their own insecurites and quest for personal glory. In this New World, romantic partners and friends are separate entities, but both are mere commodities to be traded in for newer, better product whenever the timing seems right.

We are but lost souls, but oh well… at least you guys did something right! Just keep on doing it please, maybe more of us will catch on!

#224 Nonplused on 08.21.20 at 6:45 pm

Hmm I put a post up to congratulate you and Dorothy before my comment at 207 that did carry, and it doesn’t seem to have gotten through.

So I say again,

Congratulations and best wishes!

#225 Winterpeg on 08.21.20 at 6:46 pm

Also nice to hear of so many long and happy marriages in the blog dogs.

#226 Nonplused on 08.21.20 at 6:46 pm

Oh nevermind, now the original is up and the numbers have all changed. I will never understand the mysteries of the moderation software. But still Congrats!

#227 Eric Langhjelm on 08.21.20 at 6:48 pm

Great post. Congratulations!

#228 akashic record on 08.21.20 at 6:50 pm

Existence is the greatest gift, the energy, called love comes right behind it. Congratulations for your blessings. :)

#229 Barb on 08.21.20 at 6:55 pm

H just told me he married me in 1971 for my 1969 Firebird.
Bugger!

The car’s gone, he’s still here.
Thankfully.

#230 Spectacle on 08.21.20 at 6:56 pm

.•*¨*•.¸¸ ❤️ ❤️ .•*¨*•.

#231 Rainman on 08.21.20 at 6:57 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorthy!
Now that is the true wealth of life and not easy to find.
I hope to be going that strong at 49… we are half way there. :)

#232 San on 08.21.20 at 7:00 pm

Congratulations and thank you for your beautiful share.

#233 Idiocy on 08.21.20 at 7:04 pm

YOUR
BEST
POST
EVER

You are quite a wordsmith Mr. Turner, ut moreso when you reveal your passion.

Congrats on 49 years !
You lucky devil !

#234 War Room Pandemic on 08.21.20 at 7:05 pm

Here is your host, Steven K Bannon:

Everybody knows I love a fight. I was called a honey-badger for many years.

I’m not gonna back down.

#235 N on 08.21.20 at 7:09 pm

Debt jubilee – only way out to avoid depression.

#236 Government Shill on 08.21.20 at 7:11 pm

Don’t post much but this one is important.

Happy Anniversary.

#237 Bytor the Snow Dog on 08.21.20 at 7:15 pm

Dammit Garth that was beautiful. I have been with my one and only since I was 22 and she was 18. Yesterday (yes yesterday Aug 20), all told it has been 36 wonderful years. Brought up two beautiful self sufficient kids that are non victims. We help them when ever we see a need, but they never ask first.

Wife and I have rarely disagreed, but when we did we hashed it out.

Thank you Patricia.

#238 Kelli on 08.21.20 at 7:18 pm

Your most beautiful post! Congrats and thank you.

#239 Bytor the Snow Dog on 08.21.20 at 7:18 pm

PS- Do you ever smile? You suck at pictures!

#240 Saucisse on 08.21.20 at 7:19 pm

Bless! What a lovely tribute. Congratulations, Garth and Dorothy.

#241 Flop... on 08.21.20 at 7:24 pm

Congratulations Thor!

Bit confused, I thought your anniversary was in October?

Wasn’t that when I called you last year and shouted random things down the telephone?

I was going to keep that tradition going, but I’ll have to come up with something else.

Anyway, I took a risk with only a six month courtship, but Jean Chrétien said get it done, I obliged, and we will celebrate 18 years together later this year.

We actually first discussed getting married when we were traveling in Ottawa, as there was nothing else to do in that town except watch Paul Martin count beans.

My brother wasn’t as lucky in love in Oz.

The first time I sent him $750 dollars as a wedding gift as I couldn’t attend as I was working on my status as a Canadian permanent resident.

Divorced not long after.

The second time, I think I was in the process of becoming estranged from my family, but still sent him $500 bucks.

Divorced not long after.

I don’t know if he has gone in for a third time, but I don’t know if I’ll send him any money as we haven’t spoken for nearly 20 years.

News normally filters through six months later after everyone gets to play Chinese whispers with it first.

Dunno, I’ll figure something out.

Maybe Canada will send him a CERB cheque…

P.S, Thanks Dorothy for letting hubs pump out the posts each day…

#242 Darren Leith on 08.21.20 at 7:24 pm

Well done Garth …… 49 years is a long time to keep it together thru thick and thin. I wish you two many more milestones in the years ahead .

#243 Bytor the Snow Dog on 08.21.20 at 7:26 pm

@#48 Do we have all the facts on 08.21.20 at 11:24 am:

Next time maybe don’t marry your sister! Sorry. couldn’t resist a Kentucky joke. :-)

#244 Charity on 08.21.20 at 7:41 pm

Congrats Dorothy and Garth!

#245 BobinKits on 08.21.20 at 7:50 pm

Never posted before but read your blog religiously-drives my wife crazy….

Congratulations to you both on your 49th anniversary, that’s an incredible story. All the best to you and Dorothy

#246 Coastal gal on 08.21.20 at 7:52 pm

Beautiful tribute to your wonderful wife! Congratulations to both of you! Wishing you many more years of adventure!!

#247 Flamed out in Kitchener on 08.21.20 at 7:56 pm

Hey there Garth,

Congrats to you and Dorothy. Nothing else really matters as much as what you have together.

I laughed out loud about the dog throwing up … priceless.

Take care and all the best for the years ahead.

PM

#248 Long-Time Lurker on 08.21.20 at 7:57 pm

Congratulations, Garth and Dorothy!

Another winning smile there, Garth, I might add.

#249 Armpit on 08.21.20 at 7:58 pm

Dorothy… stay healthy. Garth… sit, speak, lay down. Good boy… Good Boy..

Congrats to both of you!

#250 Victor V on 08.21.20 at 8:00 pm

Lovely story…congratulations!

#251 CJ on 08.21.20 at 8:06 pm

Happy anniversary Dorothy and Garth!

Congratulations on finding true love early in life and each having a such a great partner to build your lives with for the last 49 years.

Much love from our family to the both of you, and Bandit of course.

-CJ

#252 Cdn Mom on 08.21.20 at 8:08 pm

Congratulations Dorothy and Garth.

My grandparents made it beyond 70 years, before my grandmother passed.
My parents made it to 43 years, before my mother passed.
My brother and I are both blessed with wonderful spouses (and great kids), at 25 and 26 years. Our elders showed us that long, committed marriages are possible.

May you and Dorothy dance on tables at your 70th.

#253 mark on 08.21.20 at 8:09 pm

Conrats lady and beast!

#254 the silver-holic on 08.21.20 at 8:09 pm

You are a Lucky Man Garth …
Now go put away your distaine for the precious metals and buy her something silver/something gold :)

#255 DrC on 08.21.20 at 8:16 pm

Congrats! Many more years ahead!

#256 Kenabeek on 08.21.20 at 8:16 pm

Beautiful! Congratulations!

#257 Ruskinguy on 08.21.20 at 8:21 pm

Congratulations you two. One of your best posts to date Garth. The dog throwing up brought a smile to my face.

#258 Audrey on 08.21.20 at 8:26 pm

Congratulations!!

Can we hear from Dorothy now? I feel like she would ha d wisdom to share. She seems like a very lovely person and full of life.

#259 Interstellar Old Yeller on 08.21.20 at 8:31 pm

Happy anniversary, Dorothy & Garth!

#260 protea on 08.21.20 at 8:36 pm

Garth Such a lovely tribute to the love of your life. Says a lot about the person you are. Its true that there is good in everyone, and I have learn’t over the years to have much respect for you.
Here is to many more happy and healthy years ahead for you two.

#261 Charlene Morris on 08.21.20 at 8:39 pm

Congrats Garth and Dorothy!

#262 prairie person on 08.21.20 at 8:43 pm

Congratulations. It is an accomplishment that many don’t accomplish. My best wishes for both the present and the future.

#263 Nothing Surprises on 08.21.20 at 8:43 pm

Congratulations – Bravo Zulu!

Your outline is ditto for us for 53 years……..less the MP part.

#264 statsfreak on 08.21.20 at 8:47 pm

Well, now, I am crying my face off after reading today’s post. I, too, am aging, but wouldn’t have changed anything in my past either. Congratulations to you and Dorothy on 49 beautiful years together!!

#265 whiplash on 08.21.20 at 8:51 pm

Happy Anniversary, the big “49” Awesome!

#266 AisA on 08.21.20 at 8:56 pm

Look forward to 50, and wish you 50 more!

#267 court les chevaux on 08.21.20 at 9:03 pm

Joyeux anniversaire à vous deux !

#268 Northshore guy on 08.21.20 at 9:04 pm

Congratulations to both of you!
We are just dumb bulbs, women in our life are the electricity that let us shine.

#269 West Coast Girl on 08.21.20 at 9:08 pm

What a wonderful love story Garth! Beautiful tribute to your wife of 49 years. Wishing you many more happy years together!

#270 Brian on 08.21.20 at 9:20 pm

Thank you Dorothy for supporting Garth through the adventure of life. Thank you Garth for sharing your gifts to the masses. Congratulations to you both for being an inspiration for others!

#271 tccontrarian on 08.21.20 at 9:23 pm

Dorothea (also spelled Dorothée, Dorotea or other variants) is a female given name from Greek Δωροθέα (Dōrothéa) meaning “God’s Gift”.

——————————————————————
Thank Zeus for the gift, Garth. Congratulations!

#272 Ultraman on 08.21.20 at 9:26 pm

Joyeuses noces de cèdre. Congrats to you both.

#273 John P on 08.21.20 at 9:27 pm

Congratulations Garth. Thank you for the heartwarming story of your long and wonderful marriage. It really is amazing what some wives endure in an effort to make us better. Best wishes.

#274 Debtslavecreator on 08.21.20 at 9:39 pm

Congratulations Garth
You and Dorothy are in very special company and come 50 a year from now it becomes legendary
A great achievement
All the best

#275 The first Joel on 08.21.20 at 9:43 pm

Congratulations. I am a late starter looking forward to year 23 with someone I never thought i would ever find. A wealthy man understands true riches only come from things that can love you back. Partners, family, pets, and music (if you have a soul that is) the rest is chatter. We have a short time on this spinning 3rd rock , focus people, focus

#276 Steven Nicolle on 08.21.20 at 9:44 pm

Congratulations! I got one too like yours’ Very fortunate. Have a great celebration.

#277 gulnar on 08.21.20 at 9:48 pm

congratulations! what a tribute.
You guys are monuments in this money oriented western lifetstyle and both of you are good example to follow.
Stay blessed and live longer

#278 BC_Doc on 08.21.20 at 9:48 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy.

May you have many more years of health and happiness together.

All the best,

BC Doc

M53BC (31 years and counting with my better half)

#279 kappa on 08.21.20 at 9:49 pm

Congratulations! May the blessing of the Lord be upon you!

#280 Mike as in Mike on 08.21.20 at 10:00 pm

Congratulations and thank you for sharing Garth. You both look great. May you have many more joyous years together.

#281 Pete from St. Cesaire on 08.21.20 at 10:01 pm

Congratulations Garth.

I, too, found my perfect soulmate 17 years ago. That is truly what is most important in life.

#282 Alan Sargeant on 08.21.20 at 10:02 pm

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy. Thank you Dorothy for supporting Garth through everything. It has helped many people like myself become more financially secure (and sleep better!)

#283 Les on 08.21.20 at 10:18 pm

Congratulations to you both! My husband and I married on August 21st 1982, so today we celebrate 38 years. Many more years to you both, and us, as well!

#284 Scruffy on 08.21.20 at 10:24 pm

Congrats Garth and Dorothy! Inspiring as ever. Thanks for all you do.

#285 willworkforpickles on 08.21.20 at 10:31 pm

God Bless

#286 Zamman on 08.21.20 at 10:43 pm

Well congratulations on a long and happy marriage. I’d like to thank Dorothy for allowing you to come all the way to Prince George BC. Your lecture was highly entertaining, extremely informative and was pivotal in my future investing choices and philosophies.

#287 SoggyShorts on 08.21.20 at 10:43 pm

Congratulations you two.

I think it’s been said here a few times: Having a good work ethic, opportunity, living within your means, saving, investing prudently and everything else you can do to be successful won’t amount to much without the right partner… it can even get cut in half with the wrong one.

#288 ArcticOutback on 08.21.20 at 10:44 pm

CONGRATULATIONS G &D! Wishing you both many more years of happiness together.

#289 Sail Away on 08.21.20 at 10:46 pm

#118 Doug Bennett on 08.21.20 at 2:05 pm

Re: new dog when old

My take? Yes, definitely get a new dog if you can reasonably expect another ten years or so.

Some caveats, though. Don’t get one that:

-Is big and strong enough to pull you down, or
-Requires lots of exercise

#290 SoggyShorts on 08.21.20 at 10:47 pm

#139 DON on 08.20.20 at 10:53 pm
Nonplused #148

Another question; If so many people are 1 paycheck away from not paying the bills, why were the airlines not already in trouble? Who was buying all those all-inclusive vacations in Mexico and with what money? Now that they have had a taste of insolvency, will the first thing they do when they do get a job back is book a trip? How much of the previous economy was frivolous and thus not likely to rebound?

**************************
Yes, absolutely. I worked with a guy for 5 years who went on 2 all-inclusives every year (usually paid for the new GF too) despite the fact that both times when a paycheck was late by a day he bounced his rent check.
The number of people who are $200 from bouncing a check by choice might be much higher than we think.

#291 Stephanie on 08.21.20 at 10:51 pm

Long time reader, but have never commented.

This was truly the loveliest post I have ever read here and certainly the most valuable lesson you’ve offered. Through it all, there should be love.

Congratulations to you both.

#292 tbone on 08.21.20 at 10:52 pm

Congratulations to both of you .
Wife and i celebrated our 40th year of marriage.
We met when we were both 17 years old .

#293 SoggyShorts on 08.21.20 at 10:58 pm

#150 Nonplused on 08.21.20 at 1:54 am
I think we lost the plot on this.
As I understood it the discussion was
1. Buying a rental property is bad, REITs are better
2. but the bank won’t lend you money to buy REITs (like they do with a mortgage)
3. you said “but Margin accounts”
4. I said “but 7%”

So yeah, REITS> rental property but I can see the argument that you can’t really buy them the same way since 20x leverage @1.75% is very different than using a margin account.

As for whether I think brokers have the right rates for those accounts: I don’t know, but I’m sure that I would never use them at the rates they have now.

#294 Fortune-faded on 08.21.20 at 11:03 pm

Congrats Garth and Dorothy!

#295 Eyeguy on 08.21.20 at 11:15 pm

Best wishes to you both for many more years of happy, healthy marriage. Your comments prove that you make a good team. If they re-did the “Greatest Canadian” poll from 2004, you’d get my vote and at least one or two of the finalists would drop in the ranking.

#296 makaso on 08.21.20 at 11:24 pm

Congratulations to you both!

#297 Ardy on 08.21.20 at 11:27 pm

Standing with your soulmate, you can weather any storm.

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy.

#298 Steve French on 08.21.20 at 11:30 pm

G’day.

Steve French heah.

From the land of wonder… the Land Down Under!

You did good Garth, Not bad.. not bad at all.

Ya got potential… is all i’m sayin’.

But you still do better when you listen to your wife.

#299 Farm Wife on 08.21.20 at 11:39 pm

Well done you two. 55 years here and hubby still introduces me as his first wife. Says it keeps me on my toes. Always such a pleasure to hear from others who have lived the great life and are still busy

#300 Karla Germaine on 08.21.20 at 11:43 pm

Congratulations. You’re a lucky guy.

#301 Sam on 08.22.20 at 12:08 am

Congrats. Thank you for all that you do or have done.

#302 Two-thirds on 08.22.20 at 12:17 am

Congratulations!

You two are an example and an inspiration to many of us.

#303 Poorgirl on 08.22.20 at 12:21 am

Lovely picture! Congrats and all the best to you both!

#304 Claude Belfer on 08.22.20 at 12:21 am

I Envy you !!! Bonne continuation

#305 paolojacuzzo on 08.22.20 at 12:29 am

This line mate: “This morning we awoke and exchanged gifts. Then the dog threw up. Seemed fitting.”

You’re a gem Garth.

#306 MoMoney on 08.22.20 at 12:31 am

Truly inspiring!

Congrats to both of you and thanks for sharing Mr. Turner.

#307 Robots and Puppets on 08.22.20 at 12:51 am

If you wonder why the Trudeau Campaign regurgitates the exact same talking points as Joe Biden, it’s because Trudeau is funded, backed, pushed, ordered and controlled by Americans who want to keep Canada as a globalist war prize but can’t achieve the same in the USA.

So, as we ‘build back better’ under Trudeau’s prorogation , we have only him repeating the tired catch phrases of yesterdays American Socialists.

#308 mousey on 08.22.20 at 12:58 am

#118 Just take the dog.

#309 Ms. Fool on 08.22.20 at 1:19 am

What a beautiful love story. Congratulations to you both! We are so lucky you found each other because without Dorothy support, you Garth wouldn’t have dedicated all these years to educate us, the illiterate masses.
Wishing you more wonderful years to come!!!

#310 UDAR on 08.22.20 at 1:28 am

Congratulation on your anniversary Dorothy and Garth!
Thank you both for being such an inspiration.

#311 Half Full on 08.22.20 at 1:36 am

What a lovely tribute to your wife, Dorothy! Congratulations on your anniversary, and keep on enjoying the adventure together.

#312 Sal on 08.22.20 at 1:38 am

I’ve been creeping on this blog for 9 years daily and never commented, but had to today
This is my favourite post
Congratulations to you and Dorothy, may you have many more years together!

#313 Rich C on 08.22.20 at 1:41 am

Congratulations! Truly wonderful. What a great adventure you’ve shared together. Here’s to many more years and new experiences. All the best!

#314 NSNG on 08.22.20 at 2:28 am

One of the truest blessings in life.

Congrats

#315 Ying Ying on 08.22.20 at 2:32 am

CONGRATULATIOONS GARTH!

#316 JWD on 08.22.20 at 3:28 am

Amazing

#317 Sherri on 08.22.20 at 4:13 am

You made me cry……congratulations on figuring out what’s important in our short lives. Wishing you many many more! We just celebrated 34……it is very special indeed

#318 Crazed and a little confused on 08.22.20 at 4:21 am

Wow took me along time to scroll to the bottom. I guess that means you are loved and envied by a few.

You are a lucky man garth and equally important is you know it. And we both know its nog about the wealth .
I hope the blog dogs join me in a toast.

MAY Garth and Dorothy have a long and prosperous life full of love , health and joy.. cheers-clink

#319 You know val on 08.22.20 at 5:34 am

Congratulations Garth and Dorothy, well done!

#320 Kevin on 08.22.20 at 6:12 am

Congrats Garth and Dorothy. You two are so lucky to have found each other. I’m envious. All the best.

#321 Not surprised by what you value on 08.22.20 at 6:24 am

Félicitations Garth et Dorothy !

#322 Robots and Puppets on 08.22.20 at 6:44 am

Addendum: Shame Norice- Doug Ford stood at a microphone and praised Trudeaus non-action during the Civid-Castrophe. He praised Trudeau and never once mentioned we have crossed the 9000 deaths which have occured since Trudeau refused to health check airport arrivals.

Shame on you Doug Ford. If you need money that bad, stand on a street corner like the bum you are. You’re brother is spinning in his grave.

Support is one thing. Great a few masks being made in Ontario. But to not mention Trudeau sent our 16 tons of emergency supplies to China at the onset of the Virus ripping through our country? Doug, you are who you walk with. We won’t forget.

#323 Ballingsford on 08.22.20 at 7:09 am

Congratulations you love birds! All the best in the years ahead! You’re a.lucky man Garth to have such a great woman by your side!

#324 Steven Rowlandson on 08.22.20 at 7:32 am

All glory is fleeting Garth. Still being married to a woman for all this time is something.

#325 maxx on 08.22.20 at 8:02 am

The most beautiful stories are the quiet ones far from all of the hype and noise. They’re mostly silent.

Your joint demeanor is that of two souls who wouldn’t dream of being anywhere else but together. No slack hand holding here. So close, like a couple of teenagers. Merveilleux.

Congratulations and many, many happy returns.

#326 Franco on 08.22.20 at 8:17 am

Congratulations. Without a doubt our generation in Canada and most of the Western world grew up in the best period in history, but unfortunately the environment paid a big price for our consumption with no regard to anything around us. Now we know and we have to behave differently or the next generation is truly screwed on so many levels.

#327 Tsharpoon on 08.22.20 at 8:18 am

Congratulations and especially, thank you, Dorothy.

#328 Keen Reader on 08.22.20 at 8:26 am

Hopefully Dorothy gets to read and enjoy this post and associated comments, for once! Félicitations à vous deux!

#329 David Hawke on 08.22.20 at 8:35 am

Congrats you two are lucky!

#330 Christian on 08.22.20 at 8:45 am

You both are very lucky !
And bravo for staying together.
Amazing example.
Bravo !

#331 Rick Danger on 08.22.20 at 8:50 am

Great Story. Congratulations to you both.

#332 Rich B on 08.22.20 at 8:57 am

Congratulations Dorothy and Garth.

You both are looking good!

Rich B

#333 Dharma Bum on 08.22.20 at 9:04 am

You Lucky Dog.

You deserve it.

Here’s to the next 49.

#334 Ms. Fool on 08.22.20 at 9:57 am

Congratulations to you both! What a beautiful love story. We are also lucky you found each other because without Dorothy support, you Garth wouldn’t have dedicated all these years to educate us, the illiterate masses.
Wishing you more wonderful years to come!!!

#335 George S on 08.22.20 at 10:04 am

Congratulations on your 49 years together with the love of your life. We are at 37 and I know what you mean, just can’t say it as well.

This was a beautiful, emotional post. Everyone’s dream.

You have a gift as a writer.

If you someday decide to retire from your blog, you should consider making the archives including the comments or just the posts if that is not possible available as a PDF download. It would be very useful reading for people to guide their life. A consistent, simple message for financial and emotional well being.

#336 Stormy Daniels on 08.22.20 at 10:04 am

49, that’s impressive.

50 would be even more wonderful, Garth. But at the current pace your marriage won’t make it there – Dorothy will divorce you for sure as soon as she reads the Lunenburg Enquirer with everything I have to share about you and Bandit.

$130,000 wouldn’t even pay for your divorce lawyer’s fees. So why not just spend it on me now and enjoy many more years with her?

PayPal is still fine. And yes, as you asked before, it can come from Doug’s account for security reasons.

#337 Mike on 08.22.20 at 10:23 am

Very late to the party, but congrats to you and Dorothy on a major milestone that most never reach. Here’s to the next 49!

#338 So glad I sold on 08.22.20 at 10:40 am

Wow! Congratulations Garth and Dorothy. Your story reminds me of my parents life story, something I will always cherish.

#339 Prince Polo on 08.22.20 at 10:45 am

Thanks so much for this uplifting post! It is greatly appreciated, Mr. Turner. Shout-out to Dorothy for putting up with your zany blogging spirit.

#340 Fred Smyth on 08.22.20 at 10:51 am

I unofficially Rank this as your all-time best Blog post … congrats and many more

#341 Erick on 08.22.20 at 11:39 am

Probably your best post ever…congrats!

#342 John Scaling on 08.22.20 at 11:57 am

Congratulations to you both
Thanks for all your hard work and good advice, take the weekend off and enjoy yourselves, you deserve itk

#343 antisocial social club on 08.22.20 at 3:35 pm

Life is sweet, when shared with someone special. Nicely done!

#344 Mehdi on 08.22.20 at 6:12 pm

Beautiful tribute Garth.
May you both enjoy even more years together.
God bless.

#345 jaymond borg on 08.22.20 at 6:59 pm

congrats

#346 Pam on 08.22.20 at 8:43 pm

#118 The new dog will help you live longer and better. Best wishes Garth and Dorothy!

#347 Fakeologist on 08.22.20 at 8:45 pm

congrats.
are you dyeing your beard?
D looks great.

#348 Lisa on 08.22.20 at 9:01 pm

Happy Anniversary! And smile once in a while, Garth!!

#349 Ordinary Blog Dog on 08.22.20 at 9:11 pm

Congrats to you, The Oracle of Lunenburg, and your better half, Dorothy! Start on the next 49 years – you are both young at heart.

#350 Uncle Charlie on 08.22.20 at 10:51 pm

Congrats Garth!!

#351 Tim Trustham on 08.23.20 at 7:20 am

After many years of reading (without posting); I feel this has been the best page yet…Thank you both for your enduring service to our blessed nation.

#352 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.23.20 at 10:44 am

@#336 Stormy

I didnt think it was possible to be more classless and clueless than Trump.
I was wrong.
You win the idiot comment award.

#353 Odious Herodias on 08.23.20 at 3:01 pm

Nice post, congrats

#354 Mak on 08.23.20 at 3:29 pm

Hearty Congratulations Garth & Dorothy !
Wishing you many many Happy , Healthy & Wealthy years of togetherness !!!

#355 Drinking on 08.23.20 at 5:50 pm

Wow, what a pleasant story and true admiration to the both of you, well three of you, poor Bandit, congratulations.

#356 Ricker on 08.23.20 at 9:39 pm

Happy Anniversary to you! Congratulations!

#357 Canadian Moose on 08.24.20 at 4:02 pm

Congratulations on 49 years! Love is wonderful when you find the ONE!

I raise my glass of red to you both. Cheers from the Hinterland!