Blessed

Somewhere I have a picture of Dorothy I snapped in the tunnel buried under the front lawn of Parliament Hill, connecting Centre Block and East Block. She’s beaming, holding a little flag, standing there all cute amidst the asbestos-coated steam heating pipes and dodgy electrical conduits. Love it. And her. It was a great night.

We were on our way to my office after the big concert up above on Canada Day night. That was twenty-eight years ago. The first time I lost my mind and ended up in the House of Commons. It was the 125th anniversary of the nation, and I was feeling smug. Just met the Queen. Randy Bachman had just played my Fender Stratocaster on stage. Over a dozen rock stars had performed the version of the national anthem I’d financed with corporate donations. Dorothy and I were headed for an epic party, where this bevy of rockers would line up to sign my axe.

Still got it. Here it is.

So after the first political gig I wrote a few books, got a network TV slot, then headed out. Dorothy became my roadie. We spent eight years travelling the country, as I delivered an average of 200 lectures annually on investing, real estate, the economy and the future. Crystal ballrooms to church basements. Fort St John to Wabush, St. Johns to Vancouver. Two or three provinces a day, jumping between Air Canada and Canadian planes seamlessly because all the gate personnel knew us. We knew them.

Later I returned to Parliament (that was a brawl), went back on TV, wrote some more books, started a television production company, created eight network series, launched the first online streaming broadcast, owned a few stores, pubs and eateries, then a decade ago started a national financial advisory practice, which evolved into one of the largest in the country. Oh yeah, and a blog.

Here’s the point: I know Canada. Dorothy knows, too. The 49 years of our union have been a tale of travel, experience, revelation and joy. Now in the time of Covid we reflect on this – the freedom of movement, lack of fear, social embrace and civility of our land – and are grateful. We’ve been blessed. Canada gave us that.

Crawling out of quarantines, lockdowns, self-isolations, confronted daily with social distancing, masks, suspicion and de facto martial law, many wonder what happened to the country. There are no parades this July 1st. No fireworks. Fewer flags. Nary a gathering. Parliament Hill’s front lawn is empty. Many people chose to work today so they could take Friday off, creating a long weekend. Just another stat holiday.

That’s a mistake. The country may be a little bent, not broken. The post-pandemic future will be different, which does not mean worse. All the grousing, sniping, bitching and carping on this pathetic blog cannot wipe away the reality of our great fortune. There is peace, plenty and promise in Canada. These days the contrast with the US, our deeply divided neighbour, puts this in focus. The simple fact we’re winning a viral war through cooperation and respect says much. Life may not look as steamy and perfect as it did to me in that tunnel years ago. But a new perfection will emerge. We’re all blessed to be Canadian.

Now go find a Mountie and hug her.

#1 Robbie on 07.01.20 at 1:29 pm

Well said, Garth!

#2 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.20 at 1:38 pm

Happy Canada Day!
Neat story about the guitar.
It belongs in a National Museum

P.S.
yes……I’m one of “those” at work today ( but I did sleep in)…and Friday, unfortunately, wont be a day off.

#3 m.c.g.a on 07.01.20 at 1:41 pm

“Now go find a Mountie and hug her.“
————————————————-
You sound like Trump.

#4 n1tro on 07.01.20 at 1:48 pm

Happy Canada’s Day.

Despite the recent irrational fears, overspending, and heaps of conflicts of interests in our governments, this Canadian is still happy to be a Canadian!

#5 forgotmyusername on 07.01.20 at 1:50 pm

Happy Canada Day!

No country is perfect. It’s not possible. Mature people know that.

So focus on what’s good. Strive to improve the shortcomings… and have some gratitude, for Pete’s sake!

Garth, love the blog. It’s hard to crank something out day after day, year after year. You obviously love your country and want good things for its inhabitants.

Thank you!

#6 Andrewski on 07.01.20 at 1:52 pm

Happy Canada Day! We live in 1 of the best country’s in the world!

#7 nlabixa on 07.01.20 at 1:55 pm

Happy Canada Day to everyone. We’re so blessed to live in this great country.

#8 JB on 07.01.20 at 1:57 pm

Got Beer, dogs, and all the fixins. My BBQ is ready for it and we are going for a boat ride on the lake. The kids are excited even though we will be 150 miles form Toronto. Not missing much there so we decided to make our own Canada day with small family gathering. That is what Canada is all about the families that built this country and who continue to support it.
Happy Canada Day to all, and if you don’t like it there is a whole other world out there for you to freely go to and find your own piece of paradise!

#9 Mehdi on 07.01.20 at 1:57 pm

Happy canada day Garth and all.
This is THE bat country in the world.
#eh

#10 Doug in London on 07.01.20 at 2:03 pm

Yes indeed, we are blessed to be Canadian. As I recall saying before, I think we won the lottery by being born here. As for hugging a Mountie, that’s a great idea but I’ll wait until social distancing is no longer required. Of course I won’t object if she hugs me first.

As for the guitar, it could one day be an addition to the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in Calgary.

#11 Faron on 07.01.20 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for your post today Garth. They are well-wrought words that ring true to me.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

#12 Crazed and a little confused on 07.01.20 at 2:08 pm

Yes garth, i am thankful we are Canadian. The ubc labs are more focused on treatment and detection i think the government is more focused on the cure of covid .
Of course the trump administration is trying to secure all available treatment for themselves ..gilead science. They are even sure of the effectiveness.

There will be layoffs here and businesses will close but Canada will pull thru.
I love your previous post. Eschew debt and dont make big purchases. You might not have a job next year. Cash is king right now. I did sell half of my portfolio during march and april to secure my gains. It called stop loss.

Never be completely out. I sold nividia earlier and apple to but im also glad i sold cineplex. Wow. . Better to gain less than to loss. Who said that.??

#13 dm in c on 07.01.20 at 2:09 pm

And it IS CANADA DAY, not Dominion Day like those alt-righters are trying to (re)proclaim it. They don’t like it, there’s the door.

#14 Every day is Canada Day ... on 07.01.20 at 2:11 pm

when you are retired. Love this place. Enjoy …

#15 Chris Parley on 07.01.20 at 2:14 pm

Blessed. I don’t think for that much longer. Canadians better wake up as we can become a second or third country easily in one generation or sooner. Think it can’t happen.

For all you Liberals that ran Canada for 65% of the time throughout Canada’s 153 years history, one of your favourite quote from your Justin Trudeau’s father, Pierre Trudeau, just watch me. We are watching him alright, Justin Trudeau bringing Canada way down for almost 4 years now making his father so proud.

#16 Cheese on 07.01.20 at 2:16 pm

Happy Canada Day!

#17 Doug t on 07.01.20 at 2:20 pm

I’m a white privileged Canadian male – Canada allowed me to become me yay

#18 Oakville Rocks! on 07.01.20 at 2:21 pm

Great post, great story, excellent conclusion.

Thanks for the reminder of why we are blessed and what makes Canada so great.

Happy Canada Day Garth!

#19 Bill Grable on 07.01.20 at 2:25 pm

Happy Canada Day, Mr. and Mrs. Turner, and to your phalanx of blog dogs!

We are SO BLESSED.

#20 Simon Chalkland on 07.01.20 at 2:25 pm

I thought of those south of us on the day when we get to say to Americans “When it comes to July we are first”. Americans are taught to say we are the greatest country on earth. We say Canada you’re ok. Unlike Americans, Canadians do not mount flags on every stoop and I have wondered at the reasons, the time of Covid has helped me answer that, at least in part. It is because we don’t need to, collectively we get it we know who we are. The evidence is all around us, people everywhere doing their part most of us not imagining things are being done to us, instead we tend to want to protect each other and to live and let live. After all what comes with universal health care as we know is the notion that we all have a stake in it. A flag on every stoop becomes useful where no common good exists, it is the way Americans self identify. Since it is a right to be armed against each other it is thought that those who identify in the same way are less inclined to shoot you. Fire and Ice.

#21 Marco on 07.01.20 at 2:27 pm

Canada is as old as Italia. Italia looks so old.

#22 islander on 07.01.20 at 2:31 pm

Amen

#23 Dolce Vita on 07.01.20 at 2:32 pm

Happy Canada Day, Canada.

Auguri e Baci d’Italia. Long may you live.

#24 Marco on 07.01.20 at 2:32 pm

#13 dm in c on 07.01.20 at 2:09 pm
———————————————

Well, to show other people the door is tolerant way. It is not racists it is just beaver friendly.

#25 Ed on 07.01.20 at 2:33 pm

No Canada Day parade…pride parade was OK though.

#26 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 07.01.20 at 2:37 pm

Happy Canada Day
all you dogs and dog lovers
peace be with u

#27 akashic record on 07.01.20 at 2:37 pm

Happy post-nation, post-pandamic, peoplekind day.
What’s a Mountie?

#28 Barb on 07.01.20 at 2:39 pm

Happy Canada Day, folks!

1. Keep the border closed (based on Garth’s map yesterday).

2. Be grateful you don’t live in Hong Kong.

#29 Do we have all the facts on 07.01.20 at 2:40 pm

Ah the good old days.

Expo 67, two Olympics, two World Series, a NBA championship, Terry Fox, Wayne Gretzky, Chris Hadfield, Celine Dion and on and on.

I am not prepared to surrender the Canada I came to love to a bloody virus without seeking a few more facts. I get that viruses are contagious but I have not been convinced that the Covid 19 virus warranted the destruction of a great deal what we loved about Canada.

I don’t care what Dr. Fauci is predicting I have yet to see a substantial increase in mortality rates caused by the Covid 19 virus in Canada. Now that we know to protect our most vulnerable citizens it must be time to move on.

If not now when? If Canadians are prepared to surrender their rights and freedoms to an inevitable string of future viral infections I wish them good luck. Us old timers remember the Canada that was and we are certain it is worth immediate restoration.

#30 Lisa on 07.01.20 at 2:41 pm

Happy Canada Day to all!

#31 Almost There on 07.01.20 at 2:45 pm

Happy Canada Day Dorothy, Bandit and Garth!
We are very fortunate to live in Canada. This pandemic has definitely proven that to anyone who may have second thoughts. We are far from perfect and fortunately we are aware of that. Thank you Garth for serving our Country and thank you for your continued advice.

#32 Kbean on 07.01.20 at 2:51 pm

Came to this country 10 years ago and proud to be Canadian today. Great nation that welcomes newcomers and rewards them if they work hard. Happy Canada Day!

#33 Victor V on 07.01.20 at 2:53 pm

Unsettling to see #CancelCanadaDay trending on twitter today.

Happy Canada Day blog dogs. We have much to celebrate and be grateful for.

#34 Me on 07.01.20 at 2:53 pm

I’ll hug a Molson instead!

#35 Ray Ray on 07.01.20 at 2:55 pm

Happy Canada to all the pathetic blog dogs on here!

Thanks for your dedication to posting consistently after all these years Garth, they’ve been a pleasure to read.

Cheers!

#36 Honest Realtor on 07.01.20 at 2:57 pm

Happy Canada Day!

Garth, I think you mostly disagree with me, and respect that.

But when you say –

“There is peace, plenty and promise in Canada……. We’re all blessed to be Canadian.”

– I could not agree more.

And the WHOLE WORLD knows this too.

The demand to enter and live in Canada is going to explode exponentially, in months, not years.

The short spike in housing demand now, as you say, may be based on pent up demand, and there may be a brief lull afterwards.

But ……..very quickly, Canada will see its population skyrocketing. Some groups advocate for and suggest 100 million by 2100.

In fact, I think we will be closer to 50 million by 2030. Demand and prices in major centres will leap above current levels. The effects on real estate values will be predictable as the demand soars.

Why?

Look what Britain has just announced, inviting millions of Hong Kong residents to flee Chinese oppression and move to the UK.

China is not alone. People from other nations will be desperate to get away to Canada as well. And Canadian governments will be eager to increase the volumes of taxpayers to pay off our COVID-19 debt.

This is all coming to come together in Canada in very short order. Change is fast sometimes, just like it has been here since mid-March.

Canada’s Real Estate Prognosis?

1.A brief up-market now to meet lockdown demand.

2.Some uncertainty for a few months afterwards.

3.Changes to immigration and a flood of new arrivals starting by year end.

4.Substantial increase in home prices by 2021.

5.Another period of enormous equity gains for real estate investors from about 2022 to 2035, at least.

People who want to keep their powder dry right now, you can do so, but be careful.

Be ready to jump on any short term price drops this fall.

Monitor the PMO’s news about immigration carefully.

Be prepared to make amazing profits if you have the courage to face the market uncertainty as a buyer in the months ahead.

By 2035, we will likely see at least a tripling of current home prices in most areas, much more in the most desirable districts.

#37 jal on 07.01.20 at 2:58 pm

This Canad”a day is perfect. Its raining for y garden.
Do not hug a female RCMP. Its would be called “sexual inappropriate”.

(Same thing for hugging a male RCMP)

It would be okay is she hugged you.
:-)

#38 NoOneOfConsequence on 07.01.20 at 2:58 pm

Happy Canada Day Garth!

We all have that Canadian spirit somewhere inside us, and we live in a very special place.

I think it’s wonderful that you shared that story. It’s stories like that need to be told again and again.

Success stories give people hope and belief that their individual miseries are relatively small, and that better days can be had.

Pay it forward folks, it’s what true Canadians do!

#39 Beagleface on 07.01.20 at 3:00 pm

Garth, thanks for such a heartwarming post. You, Dorothy and Bandit are my heroes. Happy Canada Day to one and all. We’re all blessed to live in such a fine country.

#40 Linda on 07.01.20 at 3:12 pm

Happy Canada Day:)

#41 Zantaclauzz on 07.01.20 at 3:19 pm

Thanks, I needed that.

#42 Double H on 07.01.20 at 3:27 pm

Happy Canada day everyone!

#43 No Better Place on 07.01.20 at 3:29 pm

I have been privileged to travel across Canada and to live in five of its provinces and to visit the rest. This is truly a great country. We will never, in a million years, all get along or stop complaining about Toronto. Compared to other countries I have travelled to (Spain, France, England, Switzerland, Germany, Japan, and the United States), we in Canada are blessed with a comfortable standard of living, opportunity, access to education, good governance, and the sort of stability that many in the world would dearly love to have.

We do have problems and we face an uncertain future, albeit most certainly higher taxes, but we can weather the gathering storm. Even with all the businesses shuttering and a coming wave of bankruptcies, we will probably see a return of demand and new businesses will arise. Rough sledding yes but at least we will continue to move forward.

Last February I was in Berlin and at an upscale restaurant, I got into a chat with a man at the table beside me. When he found out I was from Canada, he told me of his time in Canada as the cultural attache to the German embassy. His job was to administer the programs related to German language and other cultural interests in Canada. He thoroughly enjoyed himself while in Canada and his greatest delight was seeing Wayne Gretzky play. He spoke fondly of his time in Canada and felt that it was a really good place to have been stationed.

This is not the first time I have heard similar stories from people who have visited, and enjoyed, their time in Canada. In Tokyo, I met a museum staffer who spoke very fondly of his time, over 30 years ago, studying in Canada but when I asked what he thought of the winter, he winced. Although I am now retired, in my working life I must have met hundreds of people from other countries who viewed Canada as a good place to call home for all the reasons noted above.

#44 paulo on 07.01.20 at 3:31 pm

Happy Canada day to all the dogs ,Garth Dorothy and Bandit may the goods keep your BBQ hot and Beers Cold and find some special treats for you know who. great “axe” by the way, thanks for another great article.
Happy Canada Day EH

#45 Drill Baby Drill on 07.01.20 at 3:34 pm

O Canada please free us from Selfie Boy.

#46 Freedom First on 07.01.20 at 3:34 pm

Happy Canada Day!

Freedom First

#47 Don on 07.01.20 at 3:38 pm

Honest Realtor, a market you are describing would be inflationary and would push up interest rates, which lowers the amount the banks can loan the stupid. What happens when this occurs? Falling prices. Interest rates increase, house prices fall, and vice versa. We have been fortunate to experience the effects of falling interest rates on asset prices for nearly 30 years and clearly forget what a true market cycle is. RE is will be flat at best as longs interest rates stay where they are; which they won’t.

#48 LP on 07.01.20 at 3:40 pm

Okay, we’re not celebrating as before. But we have this, which I forward to you all with my wishes for a very Happy Birthday/Bonne Annee (sp?):

#49 truefacts on 07.01.20 at 3:42 pm

Agreed, we are blessed to live in Canada, but…

… are we like the people feeling blessed about being on the most luxurious ship ever – back in 1912 called the Titanic…

Huge government debt, highest deficit in history, reduced freedom…all while our image-obsessed PM focuses on trying to win a pointless security seat at the UN – while giving almost $1 billion to his pet charity to pay students to “volunteer” (I thought the word volunteer meant to do work without pay?)

I don’t expect much from politicians, but when voters keep voting for incompetence, I can’t help feeling the future will be nowhere near as good as the past…but at least many of us get paid to stay home, drink beer and watch Netflix…

#50 Bizz on 07.01.20 at 4:01 pm

Happy Canada day to all
lets hope for new pipelines
new mines (Ring of Fire) new EV economy
new nukes
new attitude towards being FREE and Canadian
and STOP SPENDING OUR country wealth and giving to other countries , we need to take care of our elders/soldiers and new comers
We are the greatest nation, but we are so close to losing it all.
STOP WASTING OUR MONEY Trudeau, it’s not your, try sending your trust fund to other countries.
We are on the rocks right now and maybe we will need to sell our land/resources to pay this huge bill. Dam it
look at Argentina thats what happened to them.
best of all fight for our FREEDOM, lets keep that please

#51 Grunt on 07.01.20 at 4:04 pm

Ask the First Nations & the quebeckers how they feel about today and the flag. Ask up east and out west too.

Ask me. Now shove off. – Garth

#52 baloney Sandwitch on 07.01.20 at 4:05 pm

Yep. Lucky to be here. If you disagree just look a the US and Brazil, to see idiocracy in action.

#53 BoredBear on 07.01.20 at 4:09 pm

@Farron re: “I’m lucky enough to get to chose between the US and Canada. Each country has its virtues, but Canada shows greater respect for the well-being of it’s citizens and the world’s and a stronger allegiance to education and knowledge over ideology. I sincerely wish for our politicians to maintain those virtues and keep the trajectory pointed to an obscure but higher good that benefits all. ”

Well said.

#54 LP on 07.01.20 at 4:09 pm

Curses! I remember when my high school French teacher told me that I’d be sorry I didn’t study harder. But let me be the first to have wished you a Happy New Year – early.

#55 Bizz on 07.01.20 at 4:10 pm

The facts are 98% will not die due to this virus, I worked overseas in Africa, open markets with bugs and flies not he eats, pour people and no clean water and the worst hygiene, and they did not all die, actually less than us???
I got sick while working in Madagascar, Malaria, I was so sick for two days until I got to see a doctor, I took hydroxychloroquine and was back to work two days later, so why did the virus not wipe out a place like Mada, Asia, India, they don’y have hand cleaners, masks, the people being and pooping int he streets and same with my daugherty from Thailand two years ago she got Malaria and the she also took the same drug??? why did the people of these pour unsanitary places not all die??

#56 Rico on 07.01.20 at 4:11 pm

…no buts…
Canada Rules!
Happy Canada Day everyone

#57 Tccontrarian on 07.01.20 at 4:11 pm

Happy Canada Day everyone. This is also my birthday, so forgive me if I ‘borrow’ some of the sentiment of the day.
I like the optimistic tone of this post. But I think things will get worse before they get better. Call it ‘realistic’, for I’m not a pessimist.
Prepare FR the 2nd wave this fall/winter, and for the next leg down in the markets as well. Everything will be blamed on the corona, of course!

#58 Camille on 07.01.20 at 4:11 pm

Happy Canada Day to you! And a Fat Strat I think, WOW.

#59 Kevin on 07.01.20 at 4:13 pm

Amen. Thank you, Garth, and Happy Canada Day to you and your loved ones!

#60 Howard on 07.01.20 at 4:15 pm

Very hard to be proud of Canada the way it is currently structured, where the responsible and prudent are stolen from in order to bail out the irresponsible.

#61 JacqueShellacque on 07.01.20 at 4:20 pm

“There is peace, plenty and promise in Canada”

Mandatory caveat, Garth: “Past performance is no guarantee of future results.”

As I’ve stated previously on this very blog, Canada has become the first nation in human history to be governed by an elite who believes the very process of having built the country is illegitimate and immoral. Those institutions we might be asked to feel thankful for today can’t last if no one, least of all those responsible for them, defends them. I don’t think the average person realizes the implications of the coming cultural experiment in radical “social” “justice”, and I think it’s possible our nation won’t survive this degeneracy. It won’t be enough to consider all equal before the law (the very foundation of our culture), any difference will be attributed to identity injustice. That is not a formula for peace, our current plenty has been borrowed from the future, and which promises bad times ahead.

#62 Howard on 07.01.20 at 4:20 pm

#36 Honest Realtor on 07.01.20 at 2:57 pm

And where do Canadian voters (remember them?) fit into your dystopian vision? How do you propose to convince enough of them to go along with this?

#63 the Jaguar on 07.01.20 at 4:24 pm

Just back from a few errands, one of which included a visit to a local liquor store where they could barely keep up with re-stocking the shelves. We are ‘fully privatized’ here in the great province of Alberta, so inventory in stores is full menu. I asked what percentage they estimated their sales were up since Covid and they said at least 150 percent conservatively. It would appear that not every business is suffering right now. It would be interesting to get the numbers from The Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission. Happy Canada Day indeed.

#64 ts on 07.01.20 at 4:33 pm

Happy Canada Day! The sun is shining on this gorgeous day and makes me realize how blessed we are to live in this wonderful country – the best place on earth! Virus aside, we have so much to be grateful for living in Canada. Thanks, Garth for the reminders and wishing you and your family the best Canada Day.

#65 Henry on 07.01.20 at 4:41 pm

Happy Canada Day everyone.
RIP to the Country i loved so deeply that is no more…

#66 Stone on 07.01.20 at 4:45 pm

Wow! Where am I? Everyone is so positive on here today. Well, except sourpuss #51. Too bad it’s not Canada Day every day.

#67 MaryEn on 07.01.20 at 4:46 pm

Happy Canada Day! God bless you!

#68 SoggyShorts on 07.01.20 at 4:50 pm

Happy Canada Day!

#69 Oracle of Ottawa on 07.01.20 at 4:53 pm

Well said, Garth! Only 2 times a year we get to reflect…Canada Day and Christmas. For those who think we have it bad, go live in a third world country for awhile. That might wake you up.

Anyway Happy Canada Day!

#70 Ronaldo on 07.01.20 at 5:01 pm

Happy Canada Day everyone.

#71 tbone on 07.01.20 at 5:02 pm

nice strat , humbucker in the bridge position …cool

#72 KNOW IT ALL on 07.01.20 at 5:04 pm

DAMN RIGHT!

We sure are blessed.

OH Canada, our home and ………

#73 just a dude on 07.01.20 at 5:08 pm

Great post, Garth. Thank you!

Happy Canada Day to you, Dorothy and all blog dogs!

#74 AS on 07.01.20 at 5:14 pm

That was beautiful Garth. You’ve certainly lived and led an incredible life and career and we are blessed to gain your wisdom and viewpoints in this blog. Happy Canada Day, and may the future be bright with all of us coming out of covid with a deeper appreciation and preservation of the good, little pleasures of life and community.

#75 FreeBird on 07.01.20 at 5:16 pm

Canadian icon Anne Murray sings our national anthem.

#76 Bdwy on 07.01.20 at 5:20 pm

Maybe the honest realtor is on to something.
I cant understand how but some RE prices in van are swelling again.

2 new duplexes in the hood just completed. 1.7 and 1.8 per side. Standard lot, building size.

In 2016 peak these were worth 1.5 or 1.6.

The cheapest lot in the area currently available is 1.25. Spend 1m on building.
Sell for 3.4m. Were are all in the wrong business.

#77 SmarterSquirrel on 07.01.20 at 5:24 pm

After seeing mounties beat up first nations people and stomp the head of a semi-conscious asian nursing student into the floor after having dragged her through an apartment in a way guaranteed to tear shoulder ligaments, I think I will pass on hugging a mountie. I would prefer to see mounties speak out enraged about what their colleagues are doing. Or at least for the head of the mounties to be able to figure out what systemic racism is. But I don’t think it has happened. Until then, no hugs.

Happy Canada Day

You are no longer welcome to post here. – Garth

#78 willworkforpickles on 07.01.20 at 5:31 pm

Optimism is one of the keys to staying happy. Optimism may be a hard handle to get a grip on for many facing real and gloomy times ahead. For the rich as most of us are here, optimism comes easily on a day to day basis and in looking ahead regardless of the gloom and doom real or projected. Now with those facing a very uncertain future who can still wish a happy Canada day all the same, those are as some may say the real people in this world.

Ok Alright…
Now a projection… this could get real.
#36 Honest Realtor
There is such a thing as too much optimism.
RE:Immigration? I believe so.
…but not by the metrics you’re dreaming of.
I see a future influx of immigrants to Canada purchasing an offload from the banks – buying up defaulted real estate by the thousands for 10c 20c 30cents on the dollar. The exact opposite as viewed through your rose colored glasses.
Can history repeat?
Many say this is not possible in these enlightened times of government bail-outs and largesse.
Don’t be too sure or ever have that much faith in them.
Governments are in un-chartered waters over the sheer size of new debt creation (former present and still to come) and a monetary bouncing betty this way soon cometh.

#79 Bdwy on 07.01.20 at 5:33 pm

Looking again i see the 1.8 price has now changed to 1.56. Makes more sense there.

#80 Long-Time Lurker on 07.01.20 at 5:42 pm

Happy Canada Day!

We’re hopefully saner for longer.

#81 Loonie Doctor on 07.01.20 at 5:44 pm

Sounds like a great journey, Garth.
-LD

#82 ImGonnaBeSick on 07.01.20 at 5:44 pm

Well, at least the ice cream truck has returned to the neighborhood, so maybe there’s some normalcy returning? Girls are back to piano lessons. Happy Canada Day! Let’s go back to Garth’s utopia sooner than later please.

#83 Blue Angel on 07.01.20 at 5:48 pm

My brother live in Florida since 1981. He’s happy there and every 2 years come back here in Montréal visiting family and old friends…but right now, he never missed so much Canada and a good poutine!
Bonne fête Canada!!

#84 Uncle Charlie on 07.01.20 at 5:54 pm

Happy Canada Day y’all, and nice Strat Garth! I didn’t know you were a guitar guy. I’ve always been more of a Les Paul player myself, but Strats and Tele’s have their place as well.

I spent years on the road playing in bands and recording albums before realizing I was tired of living in poverty, lol, even though I ended up at one point in a band that was signed to a big US major label deal. It’s a crazy biz, but I lived in 6 different cities along the way and had a blast!

A few years back, a recording engineer friend of mine used to spend a lot of time recording over at Randy Bachman’s home studio on Salt Spring Island. He said Randy had a pretty amazing collection of great “axes”!

I don’t know what the weather is like back in my home town of Ottawa, but it sure doesn’t feel like Canada Day here in Van today … more like late October!

#85 Chimingin on 07.01.20 at 5:56 pm

We joined with about 2O other classic car owners (I own a 68 Mustang) to do a drive by parade for a young man’s 10th birthday today. This has been going on for local kid’s birthdays for a few months now, since kids can’t have their friends over to celebrate their day. Several of the drivers had small gifts for him, even though they didn’t necessarily know him. Then we drove in a long line around our town, Canadian flags flying. So we had our parade. Canada, I love you.

#86 Calgary on 07.01.20 at 6:00 pm

I walked around downtown Calgary this afternoon to see the Canada Day festivities, and while it was a lot quieter due to COVID in comparison to last year, it was still bustling. Streets filled with all kinds of different nationalities, all different ages-I honestly love to see that, this is what Canada is to me: people from all over the world…wonderful energy full of positivity…
The only negative things I saw was an old, miserable lady shouting at bikes to stop biking (LOL) and a very strange man wearing a pillow case on his whole head with chains? and ropes hanging off of him. When he walked by, it was like right out of a horror flick. He was obviously homeless and mentally ill, drinking from a huge container with something neon green in it.
To go from such beauty by the river and see that strange man was sad, God I am curious what this man’s story is…?
You really have to appreciate when you have your health and safety, I have always loved this country and I would never move anywhere else!
The US is in such a mess for the next few years that I will have to choose other countries for holidaying during the winter months.
With our ‘imperfect country’, we are as ‘close to’ perfect as can be in my opinion. (obviously there are other countries as well-I won’t act like an American saying, ‘We are the best, we are the best’ like they do and everyone else rolls their eyes at them…)
I really do love my life and CANADA!!
We have great, compassionate people here and the government is better than a lot of other countries,
I think they TRY and do right by us for the most part.
I do not want to get into trashing politicians, it seems exhausting how people have so much hate for Trudeau when let’s face it, would you rather have Trump?!!
We should appreciate all that we have, I sure appreciate it more and more as I hear what is happening/going to happen in the US the next few years…
Happy Canada Day you Beautiful People!!!

#87 NBE on 07.01.20 at 6:09 pm

Amen! Are we allowed to hug?

#88 Viorelli on 07.01.20 at 6:10 pm

Happy Canada day everyone, although I really liked Canada 30 years ago, I still love it today and I really hope that we can pull through as the nation. Seeing the changes for the worse in the past 30 years makes me feel pessimistic at times, but standards of living are declining worldwide and not only here, this is the reality today.

#89 Nothing Surprises on 07.01.20 at 6:22 pm

Sitting on our deck watching the fluffy clouds and the beans grow in the farmers field behind. Our garden is doing well. The water fall I built sounds great. A beer by my side and our 8 month old Cockapoo resting.

Bless you Canada for 75 years of living in the best country

Garth and Dorothy, thanks for adding to the great fabric that make this country.

Happy Canada Day.

#90 Doug t on 07.01.20 at 6:24 pm

#77 smartsquirrel

Truth tho

I watched the same vids. The hell it is. – Garth

#91 joblo on 07.01.20 at 6:29 pm

Blessed, Kanada is blessed to be geographically located next to the world’s Superpower.
US maybe divided at present, but without USMCA in effect today and all the other benefits from the US would ya all still be so Happy?
Happy Kanada Day and 4th of July.

#92 Cici on 07.01.20 at 6:42 pm

Great post and thanks for your daily dose of wisdom.

Happy Canada Day and here’s to hoping the recovery will keep gaining speed both here and around the globe.

And hopefully our neighbours will be able to get this thing under control on their territory as swiftly as possible.

#93 Wrk.dover on 07.01.20 at 6:48 pm

That Strat; it would be fun to delete the fat string and push the rest of them one way while bending them all the way the other way with the pick, slamming out Oh Canada in hard handed Wrk.dover HONK up on Parliament Hill this evening!

Would need my one-off thick rubber stretch strap on it though.

Happy B-day Canada, and big thanks to everybody that got us this far!

#94 Steven Nicolle on 07.01.20 at 6:52 pm

Happy Canada Day! You have lived well. It is just the Canadian way to complain but when it is time to come together we stand pretty close in times like these. We will continue living in the best country in the world. We care about one another and that is what matters most. Great post today!

#95 Grateful in Victoria on 07.01.20 at 6:59 pm

Great post Garth.
Happy Canada Day to everyone.
We are indeed blessed.

#96 Nonplused on 07.01.20 at 7:04 pm

“Now go find a Mountie and hug her.”

– while social distancing of course.

Nice post Garth. It’s easy to forget how good we have it in Canada because for most of us it is all we have ever known, and the brain does most of its calculations using relative comparisons not absolute. That’s why we are jealous of the guy in the Maserati when we pull up beside him in our Corolla. But for much of the inhabitants of this planet a car, any car, is something they will never own. They are having trouble getting enough to eat and health care is none existent.

Some of the talking heads are talking depression not for 2020 but for the 2020’s. Could be. But even if that be the case I think we’ll find a way to keep everyone fed. We’ll probably be able to have elections without rioters tearing down all our statues. The internet will still work so most people won’t even notice. We won’t “defund the police”. And once the bug passes things will slowly begin to return to normal.

I worry for the US though. If the riots are any indication of what is to come as we approach November 3rd they are in for a rough ride. If Trump wins they’ll probably burn the place to the ground while the police stand and watch. If Biden wins Elizabeth Warren will be in charge of the economy and AOC the EPA. Either way they are toast.

#97 Flanneur on 07.01.20 at 7:09 pm

Seems honest realtor is mired in bad faith. No helping him. He’s gone.

#98 Steven Nicolle on 07.01.20 at 7:12 pm

Here is O Canada performed simultaneously in 3 hockey arenas. Beautiful and you will remember why this happened when you see it.

#99 Keep Your Rent on 07.01.20 at 7:13 pm

Tenants keep your rent.

Landlords keep your distance.

June 10, 2020

Yesterday hundreds of working class people marched through downtown Toronto, rallying at Queen’s Park before marching to the Landlord and Tenant Board. Tenants from Malton, Etobicoke, Jane and Finch, Parkdale, East York, and Scarborough were united in their demands for a permanent ban on evictions and forced collection of unpaid rent during the months of the COVID crisis and for landlords to agree to negotiate with tenants’ organizations.

Tenants warned that if landlords and the government try to evict any one of us they will be met with the organized resistance of tenants from across our city.

The event took the health and safety of participants seriously. Social distancing was strictly followed by all. At the rally at Queen’s Park attendees stood in a grid formation to maintain 2 metres (6.5 feet) of distance between each person at all times. Tenants refused to contribute to the transmission of COVID-19 in our neighbourhoods which have been among the areas hardest hit by infections of the virus.

#100 Leftover on 07.01.20 at 7:15 pm

In parts of Africa, “Canada” is slang for utopia.

#101 Kenabeek on 07.01.20 at 7:16 pm

Happy Canada Day!
Love this country.
Love that you love it too!

#102 Phylis on 07.01.20 at 7:18 pm

Hear, hear. Banging on desk. Happy Canada day everyone!

#103 Toronto_CA on 07.01.20 at 7:22 pm

Another sad Canada Day where it seems none of my Canadian friends and family can be happy about being Canadian without comparing themselves favourably to the USA.

Be proud without putting others down.

I pointed out a friend-who was bashing Texas’ handling of the virus while saying how good Canada was-that Texas’ deaths per million was 86 and Canada’s was about 3x that (at the time). So maybe not be so smug.

I think there’s just an inferiority complex, which should not be there. Canada is great, all by itself and for its own unique reasons.

#104 TRON on 07.01.20 at 7:27 pm

A nation starts with a flag. Something to rally around when other nations are a threat to who we are.

Our flag is hockey. We will get on the ice with any nation with a single nationwide purpose to kick their ass and win.

When the rinks are back and the teams are playing coast to coast we will have our Canada back and will have forgotten all that has passed.

#105 Westcdn on 07.01.20 at 7:33 pm

When I go abroad – I say am Canadian. I forget nuances.

#106 Ballingsford on 07.01.20 at 7:35 pm

Happy Canada Day Garth, Dorothy, and Bandit! You guys are what makes Canada, Canada.

As for masks, I can’t believe how many people are outside wearing them now when they are totally by themselves. Maybe it’s millenials mostly trying to make a fashion statement.

In the old days, cowboys wore bandanas to keep the dust and bugs out of their lungs when they rode. Like wearing a hat so the top of our balding heads dont get sunburned. There was a practical reason for it.

It wasnt a millenial fashion statement. Most of them living in the old days wouldnt have survived then.

#107 will on 07.01.20 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Garth. Happy Canada Day everybody!

#108 Big Mie on 07.01.20 at 8:08 pm

YOU do not know Canada! Politician and Rich! (HA)

#109 MF on 07.01.20 at 8:10 pm

Incredibly well put Garth. Thank you.

We have it real good here. We just like to complain.

Canada day is when we focus on the good and be grateful for everything we have.

I spent the day in the park with family and friends. Canadian flags everywhere. Kids running around. Food all over the place. Smiles on everyone’s face.

Beautiful. Like it always is off the internet and away from the news.

I remember back in the earlier days of the virus, when this blog with overrun with conspiracy theorists and cynics. I applauded my fellow Canadians for trying to help out one another through unity and positivity.

One misguided poster lashed out by suggesting I was being self righteous. Others used sad, tired terms like “sheep” when they spewed their warped views.

They were, as expected, wrong all along.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the holiday as much I did.

Happy Canada Day to everyone!

MF

#110 broader mind on 07.01.20 at 8:19 pm

I was there on one of those Canada Day nights. Met David Suzuki and Kurt Browning at the after events. Allowed the Queen and her entourage to pass into the VIP section on the hill.Was a great night.

#111 Do we have all the facts on 07.01.20 at 8:20 pm

As of July 1, 2020 a total of 2,770,000 Canadians have been tested for the Covid 19 virus.

As of July 1, 2020 a total of 97,213 Canadians (3.50%)
tested positive for the Covid 19 virus in an accredited laboratory.

As of July 1, 2020 97.0% of the 8,591 deaths “attributed” to the Covid 19 virus in Canada were over the age of 60. Only 260 of the deaths “attributed” to the Covid 19 virus involved a patient under the age of 60.

Contagious the Covid 19 virus certainly is. A serious threat to the lives of the general population of Canada not so much.

Once you subtract the number of Covid 19 deaths associated with long term care facilities the risk of death to the general population was extremely small.

Many will say that the lockdown saved thousands of lives but the reality is that with the exception of citizens over the age of 60 with compromised immune systems testing positive for the Covid 19 virus posed an extremely low risk of serious illness and almost no risk of death for the balance of the general population.

The large majority of the 97,213 citizens who tested positive for the virus did not present any obvious symptoms. The fear that they might spread the virus to others is understandable but the risk of death will largely remain with elderly citizens with compromised immune systems.

The fear that without a continuation of social distancing and the wearing of masks could result in a rapid spread of the Covid 19 virus is real. However one might ask how many Canadians have to be tested to determine an accurate estimate of the infection rate and an accurate estimate of the mortality rate for the general population.

By all means implement measures to protect the most vulnerable citizens from possible infection. Continuing a ban of any form of large gathering until a vaccine for the virus is available just doesn’t make sense. The infection rate of the Covid 19 virus within the general population has been proven to be very low and the risk of death extremely low.

We have faced similar risks from viral infections before without serious consequences. Where is the hard evidence that the risks posed by the Covid 19 virus to the general population of Canada are so much greater?

What infection rate or mortality rate within the general population has become the standard to initiate strict measures of viral control? If no current standards exist I think it is about time to establish some.

This “better to be safe than sorry” approach by our current governments is getting pretty expensive.

#112 Robert Turpin on 07.01.20 at 8:27 pm

Happy Canada Day to you and yours..am flying the flag in foggy West Pubnico..about 30 minutes south of Yarmouth..

#113 Cow Man on 07.01.20 at 8:29 pm

We seem to have fewer great Canadians to look up too than we did 49 years ago. We fortunately still do have the best MP the riding of Halton ever had. Thank you Mr. Garth Turner for being someone who I can still look up too. Garth Turner, a great Canadian.

#114 Rick on 07.01.20 at 8:33 pm

Happy Kanada Day! Enjoy your red and white liberal flag.

#115 Robert Ash on 07.01.20 at 8:34 pm

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians, with a special shout out to BC Interior neighbors… Not hard to fall in love with Canada, in the Lake Country, and the people are really friendly and Independent. Those Lakes are awesome. Take a moment to smile at someone today, and hoist a beverage in her honor!

#116 Dan Magnon on 07.01.20 at 8:35 pm

Barb, you do know that Justin Trudeau and most Liberals admires and looks up to the Chinese Communist government and how it rules their people. We are getting closer to be like Hong Kong, socialism then to communism. Don’t think it can’t happen here.

#117 Coho on 07.01.20 at 8:40 pm

Indeed we still have much to be thankful for living in this country. We need to protect her. Let’s continue to stand on guard for her.

As far as a new dawn, with the continuing exposure of things, we need to be paying attention. The future of the world is moving in the opposite direction from the one depicted in Star Trek Fame.

What was once the status quo appears to be gone. The current direction the world is taking is dark. We the people need to be our own leader to affect a positive outcome going forward. We need to pay attention and think critically and not give blind trust to our politicians to always do the right thing, for often the people come out losers in the game of power and politics.

Perhaps we still have to power to push back against the negative inertia and be a force in turning an ebbing tide carrying away good things that have helped make this country great, to a flood tide bringing it all back and more.

#118 april on 07.01.20 at 8:45 pm

#36 – realtors are not known to be honest…. housing prices will be lower as we get into 2021… coming from housing experts who are not realtors. A few more people maybe out there buying but the sales numbers are nowhere near what they were a yr or two ago. Coming up from the floor it looks good.
Who wants to catch a “falling knife”.

#119 Graphics Girl on 07.01.20 at 9:04 pm

Hug her with her consent, of course.

#120 Terry on 07.01.20 at 9:13 pm

“Blessed” ????????? In this Socialist dystopia……………

How Pathetic!

#121 Lead Paint on 07.01.20 at 9:20 pm

#111 Do we have all the facts on 07.01.20 at 8:20 pm

————————————————————————————————

Sure, let the weak and old(ish) die… very big of you. I assume you and your loved ones are under 60 and healthy? Selfish much?

#122 OK, Doomer on 07.01.20 at 9:32 pm

Happy Canada Day to All!!!

Randy Bachman played your Strat? I’m jealous for sure!

#123 Al on 07.01.20 at 9:38 pm

Good post. Happy Canada Day everyone!

#124 Josh Mallow on 07.01.20 at 9:44 pm

Tangerine Bank charging a whole lot of new fees starting today, July-1-2020, i believe 13 new fees last time I checked, Yes, Happy Canada Day for them and their peanuts 0.25% savings account rate.

#125 TRON on 07.01.20 at 9:46 pm

#111 Do we have all the facts on 07.01.20 at 8:20 pm

Well said my friend. Those are the facts but the CBC and CNN sell the fear. It gets viewers.

What baffles me is why these government sponsored doctors who are telling us it’s a serious threat to the general population not looking at the data realizing the’ve made a mistake?

The world seems upside down

#126 Sask to AB on 07.01.20 at 9:53 pm

Happy Canada Day all!
We are very blessed.
Wonderful post Garth.

#127 Jeff on 07.01.20 at 10:05 pm

Happy Canada Day to everyone outside of Alberta.

To everyone inside Alberta…happy future Independence Day!

#128 Do we have all the facts on 07.01.20 at 10:35 pm

#121 lead paint

Try reading what I have said on this blog since March

We should have focussed our efforts on protecting the
most vulnerable citizens from day one. Our treatment of citizens in long term care facilities has been less than satisfactory for years and must be improved.

My point was that the risk of death from the Covid 19 virus within the general population is extremely low. Elderly citizens with compromised immunity should avoid large gatherings like concerts, sporting events, or busy shopping malls until the virus has waned.

The vulnerable should be provided with the best masks made and should be visited by health professionals for testing on a regular basis. If masks and social distancing actually work these measures should be able to protect our most vulnerable citizens without having to shutdown our economy and reducing the quality of life of the general population.

Children like to play, attend school and interact with their friends. The lockdown for the general population, including children, is unnecessary once measures are put in place to protect our most vulnerable citizens.

The risks associated with the Covid 19 virus for the general population do not warrant continuation of many of the restrictive measures currently being enforced.

Testing 20,000,000 Canadians will not change the established infection rate or mortality rate within the general population of Canada. It will confirm that 3.5% of those tested will test positive for the virus and that significantly less than 1.0% of the general population under the age of 60 who tested positive for the virus will face the risk of death caused by the virus.

All I am suggesting is a rational discussion of the actual facts.

#129 Heartbreaker on 07.01.20 at 11:04 pm

#121 Lead Paint on 07.01.20 at 9:20 pm

#111 Do we have all the facts on 07.01.20 at 8:20 pm

————————————————————————————————

————————————————————–

Actually, very selfish of YOU! Let everyone suffer immensely … Forfeit their livelihood, enjoyment, career, income, maybe even their house…. When we know exactly who needs to take preventative measures, should they feel the need. I would be considered to be in a borderline at-risk group yet I have no expectation that people would be forced to quarantine and give up so much for my benefit. It is up to those who are at risk to take the lion’s share of responsibility.

#130 O caNnABis! on 07.01.20 at 11:21 pm

hAPpy cANNibiS DAy eVERbudDY!!!

#131 Spock on 07.01.20 at 11:23 pm

Happy Canada Day !!!

God bless you and Dorothy for all you have done and all you contribute. Best wishes to Bandit.

#132 BayArea on 07.02.20 at 12:03 am

Happy Canada Day!

Garth, thank you for the blog. Even though we relocated to the US some years ago I still read the blog almost daily.

We’ve been considering coming back home recently but we both work in tech and there is nowhere like the Bay Area for tech. We are considering Waterloo (never really liked Toronto) but even there the opportunities are limited. Ah well. We will see how things go.

Enjoy the rest of your Canada Day everyone! I’m celebrating with you.

#133 Paul on 07.02.20 at 12:07 am

Well it’s after midnight so Canada Day is over.

#99 Keep Your Rent is luck to live in such a great country that allows him to steal accommodation and not live up to his word or his signature. But thieves seldom do.

#134 Dr.Tom on 07.02.20 at 12:20 am

Canada …. the place where 2 people at war in another country can be neighbors and friends . God Bless this country.

#135 Nonplused on 07.02.20 at 2:27 am

#99 Keep Your Rent on 07.01.20 at 7:13 pm

For every tennent there is a landlord. They will claim their property back eventually. Your whole idea is misguided.

#136 Puzni on 07.02.20 at 2:38 am

Hi Garth ! Happy Canada Day! Thank you for rejecting posts like #77; Only if people started to ask if there was another side to the video they watched and why ?

Please support our law enforcement professionals because if they ever give up; instead of them showing up to support you in a time of need they will send their thoughts and prayers instead!

#137 Mio on 07.02.20 at 3:38 am

Oh Canada – I am glad I left you ten years ago and I don’t miss a damn thing!

#138 Shoddy Van Zandt on 07.02.20 at 4:51 am

#139 Steven Rowlandson on 07.02.20 at 6:49 am

What a privilege?

#140 maxx on 07.02.20 at 7:25 am

There is no feeling quite like that of returning home to this great country from abroad.

Having said that, the overall zeitgeist of the 60’s, 70’s and early 80’s was orders of magnitude different than today. Optimism, freedom and bounty were like flowing water. Jobs were available…..over the ‘phone. Air travel, as Garth pointed out was an enormously enjoyable experience. What a time it was. Expo ’67 was like nothing else and exemplified the times. Saving was like falling off of a log.

We still have a great life here, but the effort required and costs to achieve it are far greater. Low interest rates are responsible for that. No question. Success is far from impossible however being debt free and a mountain of determination are essential to get there.

Hang in there dawgs.

#141 Alpha on 07.02.20 at 7:36 am

“Now go find a Mountie and hug her.”

Cops do not like it, very much.

#142 TurnerNation on 07.02.20 at 8:05 am

Some people are telling only half the story. That they had a great time outside or in a park…because inside gathering is forbidden. Ontario extended the “State of Emergency” yet again. This is purely mass punishment. A permanent state.
They said it’s to protect old people or something. Who are withering away locked in homes. (The economic hit job saved not one eldery life).
No we are living under collective trauma – I’d say be very concerned what happens in the Fall.
We have no opposition parties of note.
Basically the UN and Bankers showed their hand, the illusion of democracy is OVER.

#143 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.02.20 at 8:18 am

@#96 Nonplused
“If Trump wins they’ll probably burn the place to the ground….”

++++++

And if “The Worst President Ever” loses Nov 4th….?
He will have 3 months until the new President is inaugurated to spew the most populist, vile , self serving, conspiratorial, treasonous garbage the world has ever seen come from a sitting President of the US.
Trump is a lot of things but he’s proven time and again….he’s not a gracious loser.
Does anyone really think he will handle his defeat queitly?
A nasty, vindictive man who will say and do anything to belittle his opponents.
Mentally unstable? Possibly.
All this as we head into another round of Covid-19 and a very real world wide economic slow down.
The ….worst…..president …… ever……. at the worst possible time for the US and the world in generations.

#144 TurnerNation on 07.02.20 at 8:21 am

This weblog didn’t mention that singing of Oh, Canada is banned. In my province and others no singing on patios or in groups/”bubbles” is permitted by law. The State regulates every breath and step we take. Let’s face it by allowing this, we’ve lost the war. It’s over.
Can we just end this silly outdated concept of country, freedom and just divvy up the Crown’s land to the bankers – well it pretty much already is.

In my province we are forbidden from eating inside restaurants. That’s right. Patio access only. To our elite rulers – currently mocking us with these “health rules” we are like filthy barnyard animals. To be fed outside in a barn or a saucer of milk left on the back patio.
The scary part is that people want and love these new rules. Even losing Ww2 would have been not a bad. We lost Ww3 in once week, in March.

#145 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.02.20 at 8:27 am

137 Mio
“Oh Canada – I am glad I left you ten years ago and I don’t miss a damn thing!”
++++

We didnt miss you either.

#146 Lefty on 07.02.20 at 8:35 am

Happy Canada Day all! Are we a perfect country? No. Does the nation deserve a day off to celebrate? Yes.

Come on Canada, put the self loathing/#cancelCanadaDay stuff aside for a few hours!

#147 Lefty on 07.02.20 at 8:35 am

Come on Canada, can’t we put the self loathing/#cancelCanadaDay stuff aside for a few hours!

#148 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.02.20 at 8:39 am

Hmmmm

Trump is insulting Republicans that have turned their back on him.
I believe he used the words “human scum” on Twitter to describe Republicans campaigning against him.

#149 Oakville Rocks! on 07.02.20 at 8:51 am

@#146

It wouldn’t be Canada Day without a few snowflakes showing up.

#150 LP on 07.02.20 at 8:56 am

#137 Mio on 07.02.20 at 3:38 am
Oh Canada – I am glad I left you ten years ago and I don’t miss a damn thing
****************************

And yet here you are, on Canada’s national day, checking in to what your former fellow citizens have to say. Look behind you…I don’t think you’ve left us as far behind as you seem to believe.

But hey, I for one am glad you’ve gone. The last thing we need is another nay-sayer.

#151 Nuke on 07.02.20 at 8:57 am

Peace, order and good government was never so welcome. We spent time my 92 year old mother in law at the multi-generation family farm. Wonderful to be Canadian. Been tested twice for covid to keep ma safe when we travel from TO. Very efficient system with a call to a doctor who pre-screens you and you go to the waiting entrance to get swabbed. 24 hours later an online bill of health.

#152 IHCTD9 on 07.02.20 at 9:20 am

#77 SmarterSquirrel on 07.01.20 at 5:24 pm

Happy Canada Day

You are no longer welcome to post here. – Garth
— —

It’s guys like dumber squirrel here who are wrecking the country. I saw that vid too, and you’re lying through your teeth.

Why don’t you pack up your shit and gtfo of here? I have a size 12 steel toe work boot that can help propel you on your way.

The less Canadians like you living here, the better Canada gets.

#153 Dharma Bum on 07.02.20 at 9:23 am

#140 maxx

——————————————————————–

I hear you.

Although I tremendously enjoy travelling to certain parts of the United States for a change of scenery and culture, I always breathe a sigh of relief when returning to Canada.

Yes, the country certainly ain’t what it used to be. We seem to have lost our way, and a lot of people are now seriously misguided and misinformed (a result of being “overinformed” by countless dubious sources). Perhaps this is why we’ve elected a moron who is leading us in a bad direction and contributing to the malaise of the country.

I say: HANG IN THERE people! This too shall pass. Sooner or later the peeps will come to their senses and realize that the idiot in office has misled them and wasted many years on useless pet projects while sacrificing the economic progress of Canada.

Our day will come.

In the meantime, enjoy yourselves. This place is still pretty good.

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good!

#154 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 9:26 am

Garth you’re living in the past. This is no longer the Canada I know and (used to) love. We have been taken over by politically correct I have the right to live my life unoffended snowflakes.

It started before Trudeau but it has been cranked up to 11 since Trudeau was elected. We longer have a free democratic society.

It’s rather sad actually.

Oh, and MF, you self righteous slug- sheep gonna sheep.

#155 Dharma Bum on 07.02.20 at 9:29 am

Happy Canada Day.

But seriously, Trudeau has to go.

Please leave.

#156 IHCTD9 on 07.02.20 at 9:33 am

Glad to see a humbucker in the bridge position on that strat.

This means that strat rocks much more so than those with a weenie little single coil on the tail!

#157 TurnerNation on 07.02.20 at 9:38 am

#149 Nuke – there we have it. People are loving the New System. We are all sick/guilty until proven innocent/healthy. Only total control will “keep us safe”.

It all will be run by A.I., not people. Fact: 7 billion people got enslaved using the same global rules as of Friday March 13th.

Today’s news – no Smart phone? No problem. You will be branded like livestock anyway. There’s not getting out of the New System. The globe has been locked down.

“The government of Ontario has endorsed and supports the deployment of Facedrive Inc.’s newly launched COVID-19 contact tracing app, TraceSCAN.

TraceSCAN COVID-19 Contact Tracing Application, developed in partnership with the University of Waterloo, and MT>Ventures, is designed to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and is one of the only viable applications that features Bluetooth wearable technology integration in this context.

. In particular, the Ministry identifies the TraceSCAN app and Bluetooth wearables integration could be valuable for Ontario-wide workplaces where mobile usage is restricted, such as construction sites including the Parliament Hill renovation site in Ottawa.

Facedrive, for its part, is confident that its TraceSCAN app could ultimately also be of use to workers at sporting venues, corporate offices, healthcare and long-term care facilities not just in Canada but Globally.. According to Statista.com, more than 16% of Canadians don’t have smartphones — making TraceSCAN’s wearable technology potentially valuable in the fight against COVID-19 for construction workers, healthcare professionals, farmers and other industry professionals for whom carrying a smartphone presents clear challenges.”

#158 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.02.20 at 9:43 am

@#154 TurnerNation
” No problem. You will be branded like livestock anyway. ”
++++

Is there a chemical plant upstream from your water supply?

#159 IHCTD9 on 07.02.20 at 9:50 am

#117 Coho on 07.01.20 at 8:40 pm

—-

Aye, and this is the same as it ever was. Regular folks putting their faith in humanity and government always lose.

Canada still allows you to create your own prosperity, it’s the only way it can ever happen. As long as we are not prevented in doing this, we have all we should need.

All these folks protesting, complaining, and losing their minds over some SJW garbage are tools. They actually have much better things they should be doing. Just have a good look at the actions of some of these mobs – they’re losers.

If you want security and contentment, you have two hands to make it happen.

#160 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 9:56 am

@154 Turner Nation-

The sheeple have already accepted being locked down, having their businesses closed, closed borders, and mandatory face mask edicts among other things “in order to keep them safe”.

Why not mandatory testing and location tracking? Hey, think of the children!

#161 JB on 07.02.20 at 10:04 am

#45 Drill Baby Drill on 07.01.20 at 3:34 pm

O Canada please free us from Selfie Boy.
……………………………………………………………………….
Thank god I didn’t see this until this morning. Nope couldn’t give a rats a$$ about that miserable excuse for a human. He could not ruin my Canada day or the stupid Cancel Canada Day people. The native first peoples I do have great compassion for them but if this isn’t your day then don’t piss me off on my day. Today they can bitch all they want and I will listen. My parents came to Canada from Sicily many years ago and made a great life here through hard work and great stamina. My father had three jobs at one point in the early years. He loves this county and says that this is the greatest country in the world. He said in the old country he would never have achieved what he did here and he would be paying corrupt officials just to live and be left alone. He always said America a nice place to visit but they gotta too much problems.

So haters gonna hate.

#162 David Hawke on 07.02.20 at 10:13 am

Spot-on TurnerNation, Canada’s only hope would be the election of Max and his Peoples Party of Canada, however, the UN/WHO will NEVER allow that to happen! :(

#163 Tater on 07.02.20 at 10:13 am

#151 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 9:26 am

It’s rather sad actually.

Oh, and MF, you self righteous slug- sheep gonna sheep.

——————————————————————

Hahaha. Ok, boomer.

BTW, where’s that study you were going on about? Has the dementia already set in?

#164 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.02.20 at 10:26 am

Hmmmm
Accused pedophile Jeffery Epstein’s associate Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested after “Hiding Out” for over a year.
Where was uber rich Maxwell “hiding” from the world wide Interpol / FBI arrest warrant?

New Hampshire.

#165 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 10:27 am

@160 Tater:

The study is available. You’re too lazy to find it.

#166 Tater on 07.02.20 at 10:41 am

#162 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 10:27 am
@160 Tater:

The study is available. You’re too lazy to find it.
———————————————

#167 Keith in Rio on 07.02.20 at 10:46 am

#168 Trojan House on 07.02.20 at 11:29 am

“My parents came to Canada from Sicily many years ago and made a great life here through hard work and great stamina. My father had three jobs at one point in the early years.”

My parents and my wife’s parents also came from Italy – mine from the north and my wife’s from Calabria. However, what has happened over the years is that hard work and stamina have become things of the past. My kids and most millennials today do not understand some of the struggles some people went through to make life better for themselves, and in a lot of instances, became very wealthy. The millennials would rather take the wealth for themselves rather than work hard for it – like my parents and my wife’s parents did.

#169 Lorne on 07.02.20 at 11:37 am

#106 Ballingsford on 07.01.20 at 7:35 pm

…….

#170 Lambchop on 07.02.20 at 11:43 am

Well, at least Canadians have plenty of company, as far as gov’t power grabs go.

“Rights groups say governments may continue to absorb more power while their citizens are distracted. They worry that people may not recognize the rights they have ceded until it is too late to reclaim them”

#171 Data Science and Statistics on 07.02.20 at 11:44 am

For Tater, a millennial joke… dude go to work first and grow up, some of you are nearly 40 years old and have the mind of a 10 year old.

Your generation will live and die poor, and if you think that lover boy Trudeau will do something to give you cheap housing, you are deluded. The day houses are cheap here, there will be no CANADA left.

Pigs will fly first…ROTFL

#172 Tater on 07.02.20 at 12:34 pm

#168 Data Science and Statistics on 07.02.20 at 11:44 am

Pigs will fly first…ROTFL
————————————————-
Oh dear, the dementia ward has been given internet time today. Please show me where I said I was waiting for any level of government to make houses cheap?

#173 Gravy Train on 07.02.20 at 12:35 pm

#168 Data Science and Statistics on 07.02.20 at 11:44 am
“[…] The day houses are cheap here, there will be no CANADA left. Pigs will fly first…ROTFL” My next-door neighbour just sold her 4-bed, 2-bath house for 230 large. Seems pretty cheap to me, but what do I know? :P

#174 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.02.20 at 12:56 pm

Another day another Trump Lawsuit to silence a “tell-all” book

From his niece no less.

Another best seller for the swamp?

#175 unbalanced on 07.02.20 at 2:06 pm

Sir Garth—-How come my comment didn’t get posted? I know I’m unbalanced….but…. please

That topic is done. Move on. – Garth

#176 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 2:14 pm

#166 Tater on 07.02.20 at 10:41 am snorts wrongly, Again:

“#162 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 10:27 am
@160 Tater:

The study is available. You’re too lazy to find it.
———————————————
Nope. Stanford didn’t publish a study on June 6th that surveyed they largest 100 counties in the US. Doesn’t exist. And you keep saying it doesn’t make it true.”
———————————————————–
Tater, Tater, Tater. Nice try, but you can’t game a player. Just because you say a study doesn’t exist doesn’t make it true.

Now stop being so lazy and go find the study so you can set up your various strawmen to “knock down”.

I’ll wait.

#177 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 2:21 pm

Just noticed the study was updated with new data on June 23rd. Weird for a study that doesn’t exist. Strange that you can’t find it on Google or DuckDuckGo with a direct search.

Anyone can find it if they try hard enough Tater as long as they have the intelligence.

#178 Squire on 07.02.20 at 2:21 pm

#116 Dan Magnon on 07.01.20 at 8:35 pm

—————————————————————
-I know USA is not perfect but we should, as much as possible, support USA and back our American friends. Without the USA we could very easily be the next Hong Kong. Sock boy seems to really enjoy not having to answer to parliament the past couple of months. Some Canadians need to get their wing heads out of the sand. There is a narrative being pushed on us that is not in our best interest. Freedom comes at a price but it’s very easy to give it away too.

#179 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 2:23 pm

#169 Lorne on 07.02.20 at 11:37 am pontificates:
“#106 Ballingsford on 07.01.20 at 7:35 pm

…….
Not hurting anybody to wear a mask and they are ready to move inside without doing anything. Unnecessary comment…..wear your mask.”
————————————————–
Again with the self righteous notion that wearing a mask has no consequences and is “not hurting anybody”.

#180 Tater on 07.02.20 at 2:55 pm

#176 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 2:14 pm
#166 Tater on 07.02.20 at 10:41 am snorts wrongly, Again:

“#162 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 10:27 am
@160 Tater:

The study is available. You’re too lazy to find it.
———————————————
———————————————————–

I’ll wait.
————————————————————-

$100 to the charity of your choice if you can produce a study published by Stanford University, on June 6th of this year, that studied the 100 largest counties in the US on the fatality rate of COVID-19.

I know which study you’re referring to, and I know it doesn’t meet that criteria, because it doesn’t include any studies from Texas, Illinois, Arizona or Washington state.

So, I guess the only question now is, are you lying intentionally or are you just stupid?

For reference: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.13.20101253v2.full.pdf

#181 Lambchop on 07.02.20 at 3:11 pm

#180 Tater on 07.02.20 at 2:55 pm

___________________

It’s really not that hard to find, and the one you referenced isn’t it.

Fingers crossed for a dog charity

#182 belly rubs on 07.02.20 at 3:14 pm

I was at a charity event years ago and brought my guitar. Normally I prefer the Fender Tele, but I slung my Les Paul modified with a second neck from a Fender banjo. (The two handled axe had just won the “Ugliest Guitar” contest at an L&M promo.) Mr. Bachman was there and immediately pronounced, “What a guitar!” He plinked around on it and signed the headstock. The entire experience was a charm on my bracelet of life. Nods to a rocker from a funk meister.

#183 Bytor the Snow Dog on 07.02.20 at 6:26 pm

@180 Tater:

I see you finally found what I was talking about and constructed your strawman. Just as predicted.

Nice job!

#184 Tim Saunders on 07.02.20 at 7:24 pm

Squire, you are so correct. If the USA goes down with China, EU controlling more of the world decisions then many countries will be in big trouble.

Canada then Mexico I think has the most to lose. This cancer of socialism and communism, marxism has to be more controlled and possibly eliminated or we are in big trouble.

#185 Doug in London on 07.02.20 at 9:49 pm

There have been a wide variety of comments about Canada here, some positive and some negative. Here’s something I read in yesterday’s Globe and Mail that sums it up quite well and I quote: If you think Canada has problems that need to be fixed, you have a commendable grasp of reality. If you think Canada is an abomination that needs to be erased, or something that needs to be apologized for, you really need to get out more.
Wow, I think that sums it up quite well.