Together

Growing a hide is a key element of blogging. This site apparently gets millions of visits. There are 633,000 comments posted. Most people are okay. Some are despicable and their words never see the light. Others worm their vicious, flesh-eating way through my protective coating. Sometimes they even elicit a reply.

Today is one such (rare) occasion.

On the weekend, an oft-visiting A-hole left these words in response to a post about 2019 market returns: “Pretty sad. It’s x-mas time and every one bragging about how they made a killing on the stock market. How about bragging about how you helped out at the food bank or the salvation army. Pretty sad, indeed.”

So, here is a partial report on what my colleagues and I have been up to of late. No bragging involved. This is just what regular people do routinely while others are blogging about their moral superiority.

In Ontario we donated enough cash to fill this car with stuff that less fortunate, homeless and down-on-their-luck folks could use. (Note: not a Porsche.)

Loaded in there are 300 packages of new hoodies, winter gloves, toques and bundles of thermal socks. They were delivered to three shelters in urban Toronto – The Scott Mission, The Yonge Street Mission and New Hope. In addition another 400 pair of thermal socks went to a charity that distributes them to homeless people on the streets of that city. Here’s what one of the shelters had to say in response: “THANK YOU! Winter is always a challenging time, particularly for our newcomer residents who are often unprepared for the Canadian cold. Your efforts and kindness is truly appreciated and we are sure will be incredibly beneficial to our residents.”

Here are some of our Bay Street colleagues just before the packages were delivered. Nobody was required to support this effort. Everyone did.

In the east we donate money to a (unfortunately) growing food bank. A few months ago we footed the bill for plumbers to install fixtures that another food bank desperately required to deal with the needs of its clients.

For the past year several community groups have been provided with unconditionally free office and work space in our building to house staff and volunteers and carry out their valued work. One of them specializes in providing recreation and leadership guidance to under-privileged and indigenous kids from across the region and Canada. There’s a special focus on helping young women achieve their potential.

Finally, it might be worth mentioning the free financial advice (and canine appreciation) provided by a certain pathetic blog 365 days of the year. No ads. No sales pitch. The hope is that by empowering people to seize control of and manage their money, to understand what investing is, minimize tax and ensure their family is cared for, that they will advance. Then we all do better. More independence. More freedom. More joy. More success. Less struggling. Fewer assholes.

Amen.

#1 Boris Corbyn on 12.23.19 at 12:20 pm

Amen to that.

#2 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 12.23.19 at 12:21 pm

Thx garth for this dog and money thingy blog
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
hope it’s a good 2020

Love is love
hate is hate

#3 Sail Away on 12.23.19 at 12:28 pm

Why so cheap, Garth? If you really cared, you would have filled the car completely with $100 bills.

#4 Dw on 12.23.19 at 12:31 pm

Great work! Merry Xmas!

#5 Not to take a breath away on 12.23.19 at 12:34 pm

I suspect many feel the same way I do. But has charitable giving become about robbing Peter to pay Paul in terms of social celebrity and marketing in the supply chain.

I have witnessed even the most giving of people turn and stop giving because of those down the supply chain taking the celebrity from the true charitable fabric.

I personally never give money. But I will give time and essentials if I feel those don’t contribute to a greater need for charity down the road i.e. I help only those that truly need help. The kids, the vets, the handicapped, etc.

I will never support any charity where there is someone at the top taking a fat pay cheque. Even the CEO of Girl Guides is doing it while my girls under ten are walking around the neighborhood raising funds at night. How backward is that.

Then there’s someone I know in the Vancouver Rotary that flies to $2,500 a night game reserves each year for their gathering. What a joke.

What about those toy drives that only want a certain brand new toy so they look good in the photo on Instagram!

And so we must keep helping those that truly need help. Think about how you can get a true connection in the next decade.

Merry Christmas.

#6 IHCTD9 on 12.23.19 at 12:41 pm

Good stuff Garth, I think “P” maybe does not see all that folks are up to at this time of the year – locally anyway. I like how all this Christmas giving shows so many locals helping other locals who need it – and how it’s tailored to the local need (by those who know it best).

Some folks just assume rich folks got that way by being a scrooge – when in my experience; they give the most – and many times initiate and organize the effort. I see it all over the place at Christmas time.

As others have mentioned (and I agree 110%), if you are so fortunate to make more than you need, I expect most good folks will (and should) give a good chunk of it away to help those still frantically running the treadmill!

#7 Keen Reader on 12.23.19 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for your numerous and sustained contributions, as well as for demonstrating that balance also applies to many aspects of life.

Joyeux Noël

#8 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 12:43 pm

I know of the good work that you’re doing.
Also donating your minister’s pension to charity.
Well, it’s your blog.
Merry x-mas.

#9 Rr on 12.23.19 at 12:45 pm

More “good” news

#10 Larrie Davis on 12.23.19 at 12:47 pm

#11 bcc7 on 12.23.19 at 12:51 pm

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Mr. Turner. This website does empower and transform Canadians, like me, to be financially sound. I’ve gone from carrying credit card balances to having a 500k balanced portfolio in 8 years. And I’m sure your help to the less fortunate is much appreciated.
Thank you for all your help to all Canadians.

#12 wendi1 on 12.23.19 at 12:55 pm

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Garth.

And to all the blog dogs, no matter how grim their outlook.

#13 Michael M Caligiuri on 12.23.19 at 1:03 pm

Once again, thank you Garth for all the guidance you provide to your readers all year long. I wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a healthy, prosperous New Year!! Keep the guidance coming my friend we need you 365 a year.

#14 Srawl on 12.23.19 at 1:07 pm

My favourite type of charity, involves no receipt and is !00% altruistic Getting charity receipts compiles at tax time is okay. But there’s, something special making sure I have $5 or $10 in my pocket, in dec and going to the grocery store, for the Salvation Army. Makes a day just feel all round better. Now for something wish list naughty.

Interest on loans for RRSP & TFSA contributions should be an investment carrying charge on a Tax Return. Contributions to an RRSP should be allowed to made in arrears for a previous year.

Some good citizen doing their taxes, in May 2020 and find out they owe $2,000 in tax. Might be more inclined to contribute $10,000 in an RRSP.

Understood and RRSP is a tax deferral/invesment income hybrid thing. But most people think of it as an investment and government should encourage it.

Link to Puppy of the Week. Trying to steal a puppy at gun point! Bad karma will soon follow. https://globalnews.ca/news/6325921/man-shoots-himself-in-leg-brampton-robbery/

#15 Sail away on 12.23.19 at 1:11 pm

#5 Not to take a breath away on 12.23.19 at 12:34 pm

—————————————–

I guarantee those people are paying their own way and Rotary is not footing the bill for them. They are also contributing huge.

If you think that Rotarians are somehow benefitting from the system, post a little more information and I’ll give you a full accounting of the specific event you mention.

Be careful when casting shade.

And good work Garth and the crew.

#16 Yuus bin Haad on 12.23.19 at 1:15 pm

A-holes always project

#17 Mr Canada on 12.23.19 at 1:23 pm

Amen – Have a wonderful Christmas !

#18 Mick McLean on 12.23.19 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for all you do. believe me if it wasn’t for this blog explaining about ETF investing I wouldn’t be able to retire

#19 leebow on 12.23.19 at 1:27 pm

I’d like to point out that it would be much cheaper for Garth to cut a check and feel good about himself for another year. But he went the extra mile.

#20 Tom Don on 12.23.19 at 1:34 pm

Tell the Trudeau, Morneau,Liberals, Jameet Singh NDP, Elizabeth May Greens to manage the public’s, taxpayers money better so we don’t become a third world Venezuela socialist economic basket case economy and society.

#21 Herkunft on 12.23.19 at 1:36 pm

Thanks Garth and the team! I now love your pathetic blog even more.
And, please do not stop providing free and valuable advice either.

#22 IHCTD9 on 12.23.19 at 1:38 pm

#70 Sail Away on 12.23.19 at 11:45 am

John is only lucky if he has a mindset that allows him to enjoy his bounty. Otherwise it’s just extra stuff over and above his needs. Sort of like having five cows when you only need two.

As Notorious B.I.G. says, “Mo money, mo problems”
___

Yep – you really only feel happier and more content up to a point with mo’ money. After that your continued happiness/contentment lies in other things (maybe that’s one reason why a lot of well-off folks give a pile away?).

I pretty much feel there is a 100% chance that our portfolio will not be drawn down too much during retirement, and we’ll have nowhere near what J should have.

If I can live the same as now + get a nice truck and a sxs out of it – that’ll do!

#23 Remembrancer on 12.23.19 at 1:41 pm

Garth
Great message and kudos on the good works – all the best to you and yours in 2020…

#5 Not to take a breath away on 12.23.19 at 12:34 pm
You have lots of rationalizations on what you don’t do that you feel compelled to share, what about the flip side or was that sack of passive aggressiveness it?

#24 Sold Out on 12.23.19 at 1:41 pm

The poster of yesterday’s sanctimonious twaddle should spend the rest of the holidays reflecting on their smallness of spirit. True generosity includes believing the best of one’s fellow humans, not the worst.

#25 Oggie on 12.23.19 at 1:42 pm

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

#26 WUL on 12.23.19 at 2:08 pm

Turner,

You and your colleagues are fine folk. Cheers,

WUL

#27 The Flying Foxtrot on 12.23.19 at 2:09 pm

Well put Garth. Thanks for the past 2019. It’s kept me thinking, researching and entertained. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

#28 Another Deckchair on 12.23.19 at 2:15 pm

“Then we all do better. More independence. More freedom. More joy. More success. Less struggling….”

Yep – reduce financial stress so that you can look outwards and help others.

Financial stress seems to make people myoptic.

Thanks Garth!

#29 Man of the cloth on 12.23.19 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for your valued advice this year Garth.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, and everyone at the shop.

#30 Flop... on 12.23.19 at 2:34 pm

Well Garth, it’s been pretty much 3 years to the day since you wrote, in my opinion, your most poignant post.

I have had another wonderful year on the blog, learning and laughing lots.

I miss that guy looking over my shoulder, though.

I once wrote something like “Garth Turner serves up a juicy steak each day, and Boom takes the time to cut it into smaller pieces for less educated people like myself to digest.”

Don’t take each other for granted.

Garth, I appreciate you…

M64WI

#31 Paul on 12.23.19 at 2:41 pm

GREAT JOB Garth,
Giving is always important. Having said that, I was drawn to this website regarding housing bubble and investing. You guys have freely given great investing advice and informing us of the year end investment RESULTS are important as it proves what have you have been saying all along WORKS. Get invested, ignore market noise, diversify, etc.

Someone writing in and calling it bragging is simply an idiot and really has missed the whole point.
And you don’t need to tell others what you kindly give to the less fortunate. Wouldn’t that be also bragging???
Anyways, thanks for all that you do.

#32 Frank on 12.23.19 at 2:49 pm

The poor can’t help the poor …. the best part of being wealthy is being routinely and anonymously generous

#33 Bill Grable on 12.23.19 at 2:51 pm

This “pathetic” blog is one of the ‘must- reads’ every day, and I am so grateful to Mr Turner, Rowat and Lewenza for the great posts.

Ignore the idiots, Mr Turner.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, to you and your incredible team.

Thank you for greaterfool.ca –

#34 Sierts on 12.23.19 at 2:52 pm

A blog is a comunity of sorts.
Comunities consist of all kinds of people. A-holes included.

Charity is a special thing. In a way similar to inteligence.
Everybody thinks, he has enough / is doing enough, but all the others are too dumb / don’t give enough.

In my opinion there is the choice between charity and socialism.
But socialism has proven, that it can not make everybody happy or rich – it only can make everybody miserable.

Charity on the other hand is a win – win thing.
For the giving part it feels better, to give of ones own free will instead of being robbed by the tax collectors.
For the receivers it is a (often unexpected) thing that betters their mood and situation.

In charity there is no loss of value between giver and receiver.
In socialism is much loss through paper-shufflers.

And, last not least, charity does not have the negative side effect on the receivers to erode the will to do something themselves to better their situation.

Even if charity is a 365 day thing – Merry christmas!

#35 Drill Baby Drill on 12.23.19 at 2:52 pm

Merry Christmas to the wretched dog of a blog.

#36 Almost A Boomer on 12.23.19 at 2:55 pm

Thank you for caring enough to provide information on financial matters.

Merry Xmas to you, Dorothy and every one in your office. I wish you all the best in the New Year.

#37 mj on 12.23.19 at 3:09 pm

great job Garth to you and your team. Merry Christmas

#38 Leo Trollstoy on 12.23.19 at 3:12 pm

Another decade in the books

Happy holidays

#39 Blog-tastic on 12.23.19 at 3:12 pm

With that boot load of stuff AND your free advice – you’ve already given way more to society than pretty much every keyboard warrior out there. Shame you have to point this out – but here we are. Well done Garth and team, let the haters ignore your advice, the rest of us appreciate it.

#40 What a ... on 12.23.19 at 3:21 pm

great example you are. Thanx just for being yourself. Merry Christmas (can I still say that?) to all …

#41 wheretonow on 12.23.19 at 3:23 pm

Awesome post Garth, and the support for those in need is so nice. My Christmas wish is that all the good guys like you, Stephen, Andrew and even Preston would get back into government and rescue our country from those less than scrupulous bleeping Liberals. Merry Christmas !!

#42 Linda on 12.23.19 at 3:26 pm

The dog pic of the day is cute, though I think the pup in question would rather not be bedecked with a holiday wreath, no matter how flattering:)

Happy holidays to you Garth & company with thanks for all that you & yours do to provide the education that will assist others to provide for themselves & those they care for life long. Now that is the kind of gift that keeps on giving.

#43 Upenuff on 12.23.19 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for making this blog a realistic read, better than any newspaper. To you, your staff, guest writers and those chosen few shut ins that add value in their written quips to your daily write ups: Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and thanks to all of you for making this site a must read and good learning tool.

#44 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.23.19 at 3:33 pm

@#80 Sail away
“Here are the reasons, Fartz:

1. Ferry use is low because most people have upgraded to Helijet and float plane
2. Hotel was only partially filled because it’s a budget hotel and some jerk keeps farting in the elevators. Most people are in luxury accommodation this year.

You’re welcome. Merry Christmas!”
+++++++

I’m somewhat doubtful for explanation #1.
Year after year we hear of multi hour line ups and sailing waits at Christmas time for the Van Isle ferries.
This year?
Nada.
So I think the few dozen extra people shucking out $100’s of extra $$$$ for a Helijet or float plane would be negligible…

Explanation #2….. 100% correct.

#45 Pat on 12.23.19 at 3:37 pm

Don’t let the Negative Nellies get you down. You are a national treasure, and every blog dog here knows it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

#46 Mike in Airdrie on 12.23.19 at 3:53 pm

Amen to that Garth. I think it’s easy to forget all the giving that happens particularly from those that that are most hated by the Liberals..the lowly small business owners.

All the best to you and your family and thank you for all the free/excellent financial advice.

#47 Kathy on 12.23.19 at 3:53 pm

Thank you. All the best to you, Dorothy and Bandit.

#48 Heregoesnothing on 12.23.19 at 3:54 pm

Merry Christmas to you, Dorothy & Bandit, Garth! I lament not finding your blog earlier!

#49 binky barnes on 12.23.19 at 3:57 pm

Best blog on the internet (free or otherwise). Sound, practical advice delivered with wit and humour.

Thank you Garth. Hope you and your family enjoy a wonderful holiday.

#50 Dean on 12.23.19 at 4:02 pm

The country could use more Garthyness.

#51 PHMIKE on 12.23.19 at 4:04 pm

VERY WELL SAID,
Thank you Garth and Team!
Happy Holidays

#52 Blacksheep on 12.23.19 at 4:14 pm

Merry Christmas Garth, to you and yours.

I appreciate your special insights and unending diligence that keeps this blog going. I can honestly say, between you and the Dogs, I learn something new everyday I come here…

#53 West Coast Gal on 12.23.19 at 4:18 pm

Bless you Garth for all you do. My husband and I who are your clients really value all the guidance and financial help we’ve received from the team, from your blog, and your weekly conference call and of course, I love the dog pics too! It has made a big difference in our lives. Merry Christmas to you, Dorothy, Bandit, Ryan, Doug and the team! Please try to ignore the ignorant amongst us.

#54 paracho on 12.23.19 at 4:34 pm

Thank you for the great sound advice . Everyday .
I could not put a price on the value of this advice and your blog .
I am a person who has struggled with major depression and anxiety since a young age . I have made headway and learned to live with less ( an advantage of my struggles ).
Mostly been underemployed throughout my adult life .
Yet I found a way to try . Once I got somewhat better , I tried to garner knowledge and wisdom .
I started investing . Whenever I had some money I put it into my RRSP and TFSA .
I found a way to help myself and empower myself . This is what this blog has helped me do and countless others .
By gaining some control and less necessity of an employer I can now give back at least a bit . I try to help those who are in a similar boat .
I do sometimes even volunteer at some of the above mentioned shelters in the GTA.
In other words , by helping and empowering others … you are helping them help themselves and to go forth and continue helping others .
Thank you Garth and team !
Merry Christmas

#55 paracho on 12.23.19 at 4:35 pm

Thank you for the great sound advice . Everyday .
I could not put a price on the value of this advice and your blog .
Mostly been underemployed throughout my adult life .
Thank you Garth and team !
Merry Christmas

#56 CJohnC on 12.23.19 at 4:37 pm

What PP and other sour pusses like him fail to see is that the greatest gifts are often provided by those that do so quietly. Thank you as well for the daily wisdom from you and your all important team. Merry Christmas to all.

#57 prairie person on 12.23.19 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for all you do, Garth. Leadership matters. Your values move to the people who work for you, to your clients, to the readers of this blog. When I was teaching, we gave out evaluation forms. We took the top ten percent and the bottom ten percent off, then looked seriously at the other eighty percent. There are always people, they are, after all, just people, with problems and issues. Most of the time those problems and issues are not grounded in anything objective. None of us are perfect. Some are less perfect than others because of their background and experiences. I think your response was exactly what was needed. People need to know what is being done. A Merry Christmas to you and may your New Year be happy.

#58 Whannabe on 12.23.19 at 4:59 pm

A gift once given becomes no longer yours…to brag about or to nag about or to hold over someone’s head.
Something today’s modern conservative all too often forgets. When charitable acts come with strings attached they no longer are charitable.

What is pretty sad is that we still need food banks or even the Salvation Army in this day and age.

I prefer to do our giving silently although I guess anyone who cares would know I financially and time support the kids division of a local Streamkeepers group. Time, pizza and Gatorade. What no one knows is last year my wife made a $30,000 per year, five year commitment to a group that isn’t even in our community. While significant, still only a part of our charitable donations, gifting, etc.

Last thought: giving is difficult when you have it to give. It seems it always either isn’t enough or is too much.

The A Holes, like Garth’s pen pal, sure don’t make it any easier. Which is why the only condition on any of our gifting or charitable work is that if our name becomes attached to this it will be the last dime you see.

#59 Capt. Serious on 12.23.19 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for this blog Garth (and Ryan)! You are 100% correct that this is a fantastic ad free resource for Canadians. You are a saint for putting up with the comments. If anything the comments have solidified my belief some people are beyond help and will sabotage themselves without ever seeing it. Such is life.
Merry Christmas peeps.

#60 jimbo on 12.23.19 at 5:05 pm

thank you Garth for the commitment to this blog and the trustworthy information.In this season of celebrating the greatest gift of all let us not forget the less fortunate of the world.
“for unto us is born a saviour…who is Christ the Lord”

#61 Rick on 12.23.19 at 5:10 pm

Hope it helps You feel better.

#62 Retired in Kelowna on 12.23.19 at 5:11 pm

All the best to you Garth. Thank you for all the advice and your hard work over the years. It’s greatly appreciated and has been very beneficial.

You are a Great Canadian!

#63 Sask to AB on 12.23.19 at 5:13 pm

Merry Christmas Garth, Dorothy and Bandit!
We appreciate what you do so much.
All the best in 2020!!

F56AB

#64 FreeBird on 12.23.19 at 5:17 pm

We try to pay it fwd all year (incl GF advice) but this season and this blog post is a good reminder to dig a bit deeper. Don’t forget blood banks, animal shelters or even volunteering/dropping reading material etc off to hospitals or hospices. Safe travels and peaceful holidays. To those who this time of year may not be a time to celebrate or tough…it will get better, your not alone there’s always help. I hope 2020 is good or at least better to everyone. Enjoy…

For those old enough the WKRP turkey drop…

Amazing live version of O’Holy night/Hallelujah

Three tenors silent night

#65 Muttley O'Toole on 12.23.19 at 5:19 pm

On the far side of the world, about 1500 miles west of The Land of the Long White Cloud, there is a small island (ask Flop, he knows about it).
The point is Garth’s fame, wisdom and overall good bloke image is known about even down here.
I would also agree with the poster who said Garth is a national treasure.
So to all Canadians, have a good Christmas, be kind to your web footed friends and especially dogs – their love for you is unconditional.

#66 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.23.19 at 5:20 pm

Merry Christmas Garth.
All the best to you and yours.
Thanks for all the sound( gratis) advice.
Much appreciated.
Enjoy the break from blog-dom.

P.S. I was shocked, shocked I tell you.
All those staffers working in the business district of TO without ties……!

#67 JSS on 12.23.19 at 5:26 pm

Unfortunately I haven’t done much in terms of donating much of anything. I feel bad about it and say to myself that tomorrow I will do something good. Good for those who have donated. Heroes to me…god bless

#68 Syl on 12.23.19 at 5:28 pm

Many thanks and job well done!!! Always looking forward to your daily postings.

#69 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.23.19 at 5:30 pm

@#63 Ponzie Prattle
“Surprised you don’t complain about the cost of the ferry ride.”
++++
Didnt cost me anything.
Work related company expense.
As were my, gas, meals, accommodations. etc.
Total tax write off.

Steak and lobster on the company dime.
:)-
Shame your a retired, grumpy, fudge bucket.
Do you lecture the other volunteers ?

#70 Paddy on 12.23.19 at 5:31 pm

Sooooo what make/model of car is that that? Hatchback obvy….the fold out tail gate setup is quite nice….the beauty of a hatchback is turns into a truck once the back seats fold down. Merry XMas all!

#71 YYC J on 12.23.19 at 5:36 pm

Avid reader, rare commentator. Just want to say thank you and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays. If it were not for this blog I probably still wouldn’t know what ETFs were and still be investing with GWL paying 4% PLUS fees every year. You have saved my portfolio and made saving (feel) great again.

#72 D.D. Corkum on 12.23.19 at 5:38 pm

Amen indeed; Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

#73 MicroGX on 12.23.19 at 5:39 pm

Amen to that!
Thanks Garth and team.

#74 Vince on 12.23.19 at 5:52 pm

Thank you for everything, Garth. Merry Christmas

#75 Sail away on 12.23.19 at 5:53 pm

Wow, Ponzie, you’re getting flamed hard. And just before Christmas.

It’s a little confusing, though:

Your comment came across as judgy and sanctimonious, and we’ve had a lot of fun excoriating you for that. But, but…

Canada just re-elected a PM who does exactly that sort of judgy, sanctimonious thing.

Is it possible this blog is not a microcosm of Canadian society as a whole?

#76 Sail away on 12.23.19 at 5:59 pm

#63 FreeBird on 12.23.19 at 5:17 pm

…this season and this blog post is a good reminder to dig a bit deeper. Don’t forget blood banks…

————————————–

Every time I try to give blood, they ask the same questions:

1. Whose blood is it?
2. Where did you get it?
3. Why is it in a bucket?

So annoying

#77 45north on 12.23.19 at 6:03 pm

In Ontario, we donated enough cash to fill this car with stuff that less fortunate, homeless and down-on-their-luck folks could use.

In the east, we donate money to a food bank. A few months ago we footed the bill for plumbers to install fixtures for another food bank

For the past year several community groups have been provided with free office and work space in our building to house staff and volunteers

all good things

Finally, it might be worth mentioning the free financial advice provided by a certain pathetic blog 365 days of the year. No ads. No sales pitch

that’s a good thing too.

#78 Re-Cowtown on 12.23.19 at 6:03 pm

Merry Christmas and Best Wishes to all the blog dogs. Giving to your local food bank is a great choice. But then again, when you’re supporting charities, they’re all good choices!

#79 Felix on 12.23.19 at 6:04 pm

Your good deeds are an admirable penance for your otherwise unfathomable idolatry of useless canines.

Happy holidays Mr Turner and team!

Meow :)

#80 skiBUM on 12.23.19 at 6:06 pm

Merry Christmas Garth, the blog has been more than helpful to my financial life. With all the information out there these days, it is easy to get led down the wrong path. The consistent message of get invested and ignore the noise is always reassuring.

#81 crazyfox on 12.23.19 at 6:09 pm

“How about bragging about” – A_______

Why brag at all? Like, why the want or need? Lot’s of projection in terms of what we value and why right there… an unfortunate distraction from the genuine need to take stock of goals met or missed and in a year of good returns, there’s nothing wrong with feeling good from our successes and take stock of why as, most already know, some years miss.

Merry Christmas Garth & Dorothy, Ryan, Doug, the rest of the nuts and bolts at Turner Investments and of course, happy holidays to the sometimes peaceful, other times raucous, jarring, brassy, rough, rasping, husky, hoarse, scratchy, noisy, loud, piercing, shrill, ear-splitting, penetrating, clamorous, cacophonous, rowdy, boisterous, unruly, disorderly and wild lot of blog dogs to wit, ever having paws on some kind of pulse, this blog would not be the same!

Happy holidays! :D

#82 Yanniel on 12.23.19 at 6:10 pm

Matthew 6:3.

#83 Lead Paint on 12.23.19 at 6:11 pm

Perhaps it takes a jerk to provoke us to share our good deeds. Mine this year was helping a single mother stay in her rent controlled apartment when threatened with eviction, even though she always paid the rent on time. She could not afford market rents and her poor little guy would have ended up in an undesirable neighborhood and school.

A couple grand in legal fees is what it took – they are safe and secure there as long as they want.

#84 tnnn on 12.23.19 at 6:14 pm

bravo Garth

thanks for another great year

#85 Marc Roger on 12.23.19 at 6:14 pm

Merry Christmas, all.

#86 mark on 12.23.19 at 6:25 pm

Happy holiday season to turner investments, all the best in new year.

Still not sold on brain dead preferred, lol.

Thanks for all information and good you guys/ladies making a effort to give, with your time, money, efforts!!

M.

#87 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 6:25 pm

#68 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.23.19 at 5:30 pm
@#63 Ponzie Prattle
“Surprised you don’t complain about the cost of the ferry ride.”
++++
Didnt cost me anything.
Work related company expense.
As were my, gas, meals, accommodations. etc.
Total tax write off.
Steak and lobster on the company dime.
—————
Obviously, you’re not working for Sailing Away.
BTW, what was the etc. expenses.?
Never mind. what happens in Victoria stays in Victoria.

#88 David Pylyp on 12.23.19 at 6:29 pm

Most times you ignore the trolls,
Sometimes you respond

Thank you for your kindness to others…
I try to donate to some also at this time of year in a moment of gratitude for having enough for my family.

Grateful you have enough.

#89 DON on 12.23.19 at 6:29 pm

Merry Christmas Garth, Dorothy, Doug, Ryan and of course the blog dogs. Enjoy your time with family and friends. All the best in the New Year.

#90 SoggyShorts on 12.23.19 at 6:31 pm

#71 Shawn Allen on 12.23.19 at 11:39 am
Same-Store Sales Down?

#66 Mattl on 12.23.19 at 11:03 am
#63 Crowded:
————————–
I’d like to see a chart with monthly changes in Costco memberships and Amazon Prime memberships.

Personally I let my Costco expire and did 100% of my holiday shopping online this year.

#91 SoggyShorts on 12.23.19 at 6:32 pm

@ Garth I’m also giving you at least partial credit for my charitable giving since it’s largely been made possible due to following your advice. Thank you!

#92 Freedom First on 12.23.19 at 6:34 pm

Bandit, Dorothy, Garth and all the of the people within the Turner family inner circle, You Rock!!!

Merry Christmas!

#93 Dog Breath on 12.23.19 at 6:36 pm

“…new hoodies, winter gloves, toques and bundles of thermal socks.”
—————————————-
Smart move Garth, I always prefer to give things such as food etc. that you know will actually get to the people in need. I think that monetary donations often gets lost in these charities what with salaries, PR and other over head “costs”.
Merry Christmas to all!

#94 surfsideboomer on 12.23.19 at 6:41 pm

Thank you Garth for being my financial mentor for so many years. What would we do without you.
Best wishes for a hopeful and healthy 2020!

Wishing you fair winds and following seas !!!

#95 mrnick on 12.23.19 at 6:46 pm

You are a good man Garth. Really. Don’t always agree with all the things you say, but the stand you generally take for the not so mainstream and unpopular ideas is commendable. Along with this kind of good work. And the financial advice. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

#96 PetertheSeparatistfromCalgary on 12.23.19 at 6:46 pm

Merry Christmas Garth!

#97 Totalchaos on 12.23.19 at 6:48 pm

#5 Not to take your breath away – “No single parent with kids unless there is a true heart breaker underlying it. Having a one night shag and then wanting hand outs doesn’t cut it.”

Wow. You do realize that you are punishing children because of your highly judgemental and misogynistic view on women? (Men don’t become pregnant after a one night stand).

I don’t have to agree with someone else’s parenting, but a child will have even greater difficulty overcoming a challenging upbringing without nutritious food, warm clothes and a roof over their head. We don’t need to make these kids feel even more marginalized by giving them the cheapest clothes and toys from the bargain bin.

I refuse to hold children from low income families accountable for their parents actions and I want them to be successful so volunteer regularly to that end.

#98 Robert Ash on 12.23.19 at 6:49 pm

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Garth and all the Turner folks… Thanks to many that inserted a Link to some interesting discussions.
It is a time of the Season to give a Helping Hand. Often this is done just for the satisfaction of giving, which is quite remarkably rewarding. In my opinion, giving actual food clothing etc, is the best way to make sure those Donations, get to the Folks needing them…. Let’s hope the Weather is mild for those less fortunate. Canada is a lovely country, but this time of year, many need a helping hand…
One method to help is to offer a Job, to Hope Mission occupants..for example… Mostly great folks and if you work side by side on any small project, it is amazing, what you will learn… So why not paint an extra room, or take on another project, and think about supporting Day Labor, in Canada… Hope Mission, Mustard Seed, Employabilities, … great options.

#99 SW on 12.23.19 at 6:50 pm

Thanks you for everything, Mr. Turner. You are a Great Canadian, in my opinion.

Let’s hope for some Peace, Order and Good Government for all, this coming year!

As for donating, people can give online to practically any charity in Canada, without attracting attention, using the Canada Helps organization. (Yes they give tax receipts but they don’t tell the charities about you).

#100 Sail away on 12.23.19 at 6:56 pm

#77 Re-Cowtown on 12.23.19 at 6:03 pm

….when you’re supporting charities, they’re all good choices!

—————————————–

No. Absolutely not. Anytime you choose to give away money, you should be very careful where it goes.

Everybody wants your money. Branding something a charity (or non-profit) means nothing. Examine the books in great detail, or give only to proven organizations.

#101 jimbo on 12.23.19 at 6:58 pm

Merry Christmas Garth and all…..top of the season to you.Best wishes for the new year.God bless.

#102 tccontrarian on 12.23.19 at 7:01 pm

I was raised with the principle of NOT boasting about charity donations – monetary or otherwise. You just do it and “God” knows, regardless (whatever ‘God’ means to people).

But, for this particular A-hole’s benefit, in 2016, due to amazing returns in the stock markets, I made donations to GoFundMe campaignes, and other Charities that surpassed my entire life’s previous (cummulative) amount. So, at least in my case, making oodles in the markets DOES trickle down to the less fortunate.

Amen – TCC

#103 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.23.19 at 7:07 pm

@#86 Pontius Pilate
“BTW, what was the etc. expenses.?
Never mind. what happens in Victoria stays in Victoria.”
+++++

Ponzie sed a funny !

Actually I generously tipped the “working poor” waitress that served my meals and the “working poor” anonymous person that cleaned my room….

Cant write off the tips as I paid them in cash…
Oh well, tis the season.

#104 It Happens All Over on 12.23.19 at 7:07 pm

At our little Nova Scotia church:

– it goes year round, but it starts in September for Xmas
– food is collected for a worthy cause for months, Beacon House this year. A lot of food!
– volunteers help man meals and a food truck provided by other churches, to feed the homeless
– a special offering (ie … money) over multiple weeks, is collected solely for a local cause/charity for Xmas
– I delivered a big box of mitts, socks, and toques (that my wife knit) to the Salvation Army. She does this in the evenings while watching TV.
– my wife and others were scrounging at the last moment today for food, toys, and presents – for a down-and-out family when the corporate sponsor could not come thru. Xmas will happen for them, delivery will be tomorrow.

I am sure I am forgetting some things here as I was irritated, this was off the top of my head. I tried to stick to the Xmas stuff. Our church is not big and the congregation is not rich, but the people care about others enough to inconvenience themselves. I believe there are lots of people and organizations who do this, not for the recognition or accolades, but for the need.

Keep it up Garth! Forget the A-….. s. As long as there are people you will have them.

Oh yeah – Merry Christmas all!

#105 acdel on 12.23.19 at 7:11 pm

Merry Christmas Dawgs, sigh, I guess to that feline lover Felix as well; after all it is Christmas! Please send Felix a dog bone for his/her pathetic cat! :)

#106 HH on 12.23.19 at 7:21 pm

I count on your advice. Yours is the only advice that I find reliable. I read your blog every day and I don’t want it to ever stop. If it did I might get depressed. Looking forward to your 2020 blog. Merry Christmas and all the best to you and your family in the New Year.

#107 N on 12.23.19 at 7:21 pm

“How about bragging about how you helped out at the food bank or the salvation army. Pretty sad, indeed.”

Some folks that think morality and ethics are identical. It’s the heart that counts in the end though.

“A good person brings good out of the treasure of good things in his heart; a bad person brings bad out of his treasure of bad things. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” – Luke 6:45

Thanks for all your advise through the years Garth. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

#108 Shawn Allen on 12.23.19 at 7:24 pm

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

As far as charity, it’s a personal choice. And if some people like a bit of recognition for their charity, that is completely fine.

Let’s not be sanctimonious about charity. Let’s just be thankful for all donations of money and certainly of time/effort.

#109 Shawn Allen on 12.23.19 at 7:31 pm

What should you donate to?

Well, there are no right answers there. (But probably some wrong one’s)

But I like Warren Buffett’s answer “Where the money will do the most good.”

Personally I like the idea of donating to a local charity that has a lot of volunteers and a shoe string administrative budget. To me it seems like leverage. A bit of money given and it helps keep the organization and all those volunteer hours going. Where I live a local affordable housing society fits the bill. I just was reading about them as the City Council cut their operating cost grant in half (to $50,000)and is threatening to cut it to zero in future despite all the good they are doing.

#110 Sail Away on 12.23.19 at 7:33 pm

#86 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 6:25 pm
#68 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.23.19 at 5:30 pm

++++
Didnt cost me anything.
Work related company expense.
As were my, gas, meals, accommodations. etc.
Total tax write off.
Steak and lobster on the company dime.
—————
Obviously, you’re not working for Sailing Away.
BTW, what was the etc. expenses.?
Never mind. what happens in Victoria stays in Victoria.

————————————-

Most of my etcetera cash expenses are used to help pleasant Austrian ladies.

#111 espressobob on 12.23.19 at 7:40 pm

I’ve always believed in helping those that are willing to help themselves. Have no empathy forsome just taking the path of least resistance. That crowd needs a swift kick in the ass, not the well intentioned charity many provide for those willing to pull themselves out of the mud.

Just a thought for the holidays.

#112 cowtown cowboy on 12.23.19 at 7:40 pm

Nothing for the West again…guess we should have voted liberal….JK…If I ever get another job, charity will be back on the list.

Your blog has helped me finally get back on a semi-decent financial path..my last purchase of Aurora stock notwithstanding….

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the blog doggers…and the Hills are alive with fresh POW, come out for a visit, we could use the tourist $$

CC

#113 Phylis on 12.23.19 at 7:40 pm

#69 Paddy on 12.23.19 at 5:31 pm. My guess is a bmw x5.

Merry Christmas ya’ll.

#114 Sold Out on 12.23.19 at 7:42 pm

#96 Totalchaos

Thank-you, well said. He’s probably a staunch pro-lifer, as well.

#115 Loonie Doctor on 12.23.19 at 7:46 pm

Thanks for sharing Garth. Hopefully it will inspire others.

We feel regular giving of time and/or money is an important part of financial planning. We all benefit from it.

There is also no shame in making money nor minimizing your taxes. It is good stewardship of the gifts you’ve been given to grow more money. That enables more giving in the long run – to things you choose to support. There are some things that government does well and paying your share of taxes to support that is good. However, paying more than your share hampers your ability to support many of the other needs that government does not meet well.
-LD

#116 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 8:01 pm

yeah, the pleasant Austrian ladies wearing the pretty Dirndls.
BTW watching The Sound of Music, a movie about Austria without a single Austrian actor/actress.
Frohe Weihnachten, blog hunde.

#117 will on 12.23.19 at 8:04 pm

Great minds think alike. I was thinking about this last night after reading yesterday’s blog.

Garth how about having another post on this topic and get all the dogs to suggest their charities and non-profits? I plan on leaving a substantial amount of my great fortune to organizations but I need more ideas. Would be great to get everyone’s ideas. This is definitely a part of financial planning.

#118 Nothing Surprises on 12.23.19 at 8:05 pm

The scrooges and grinches are always among us and some are very prevalent this time of year.

You and your crew provide a great deal to this world.

Don’t be deflated by them raising their heads.

Bravo Zulu to all you do.

P.S.
We just adopted a 9 week old Cockapoo as we proceed into 2020. Almost 75 and we were missing this in our life.

#119 Bee on 12.23.19 at 8:11 pm

I’ve been reading your site daily for three years, Garth, and never once left a comment (like many of your sane readers). I’m a stay-at-home mom of three young kids, and your blog has given me the confidence to manage our finances such that we can thrive on one income knowing that we have a secure financial future, while focusing on what truly matters in life. Your post tonight reminded me that in addition to being our sage giver of financial advice, you also happen to be a lovely and very real human being. In the spirit of the season, I want to thank you for all that you offer to your readers. Your time, trustworthy advice, and dedication to calling it as you see it is truly valued by so many. Please accept my sincere thanks and best wishes for a peaceful holiday season.

#120 Shawn Allen on 12.23.19 at 8:20 pm

What should you donate to?

Well, there are many right answers there. (And probably some wrong one’s)

But I like Warren Buffett’s answer “Where the money will do the most good.”

#121 akashic record on 12.23.19 at 8:20 pm

Amen. G_d bless you.

#122 André L. on 12.23.19 at 8:22 pm

I have been reading your blog for years. It’s fun to read and you taught me a lot.
Thank you Garth and team.
Happy Holidays.

#123 NigelM on 12.23.19 at 8:31 pm

Merry Christmas Garth! Thanks for everything.

#124 Rargary on 12.23.19 at 8:41 pm

You made so much interest on all those gifts and covering of expenses Garth! Great investment! It’s called 10-fold! The universe will take care of that for you! Better to have humility than moral superiority… but I don’t blame you for putting it out there. Sometimes, some things need to be said. MERRY CHRISTMAS GARTH! MAY ALL THE TREMENDOUS GIVING YOU DO EVERY SINGLE DAY, ONLY ASKING FOR RESPECT TO OTHERS BACK, ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS AND BLESSINGS TO YOU IN THE NEW YEAR!

#125 the Jaguar on 12.23.19 at 8:45 pm

A well deserved ‘slapdown’ from GT who has shown remarkable restraint and patience not just with the referenced blog poster (#43 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.22.19 at 11:27 pm…. Yes…why not provide the reference in black and white is how I see it…..) I am also reminded of a previous post where Dorothy was quoted as saying something ( to GT) like..”Why do you put up with this nonsense’? .
Indeed. It doesn’t need to be Christmas to be thankful for others gifts to all of us. Thank you Garth.
Maybe going forward into the new year there might be a de escalation of what my grandmother would have referred to as ‘snippiness’ on the blog. I’m talking about some blog dogs who seek to attack other posters ( like the jerk who picks on Stan Brooks)etc. A return to more civility. See the ‘helpful reminders’ above where you post comments encouraging “respectful, wide-ranging discussion on the topic”.
Keep hope alive.
I like this post from Acdel today who acknowledges Felix as a valued contributor regardless of his feelings about canines.
“#104 Acdel on 12.23.19 at 7:11 pm”.
He acknowledges peoples differences and understands that whatever ones choices a person who loves animals has real value. The Jaguar loves cats, too. Go figure.

#126 cmj on 12.23.19 at 8:52 pm

Thanks for all you do for Canadians. Greater Fool has evolved as a go to blog for housing, financial ideas and a moral compass when we get too caught up in our egos. I feel privileged to get inside views on politics, global issues etc to make more informed decisions. Your daily posts are sometimes shared with family and close friends. Their choice if they are going to act on the information.
Thanks Garth, Ryan and Doug for your guidance, humor and diverse topics.
Merry Christmas to all and a special thanks to the authors of Greater Fool blog

#127 Remembrancer on 12.23.19 at 9:03 pm

#69 Paddy on 12.23.19 at 5:31 pm

#112 Phylis on 12.23.19 at 7:40 pm
#69 Paddy on 12.23.19 at 5:31 pm. My guess is a bmw x5.

Merry Christmas ya’ll.
——————————————
I’d go with BMW X5 too…

And Merry Christmas!

#128 Long Branch Apprentice on 12.23.19 at 9:04 pm

‘Tis the season…

To virtue signal, fa la la la, la la la la

Humbug to all.

And coal for your stockings.

Clean beautiful coal, as a certain someone once said.

#129 Rargary on 12.23.19 at 9:07 pm

Want to add: baby and pet food is always needed too bloggers! Been told Calgary is the rescue dog capital of Canada, and that people tend to donate enough for rescue dogs, but cat food always comes short. To my co-Calgary blogdogs and blogcats! Merry Christmas all! If you don’t celebrate Christmas, it still comes with well wishes, gratefulness and good mental health! You don’t need to believe in Santa to deserve that!

#130 Jon B on 12.23.19 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for your dedication to this blog. Your efforts inspire regular readers. Financial education is hard to come by. Thank you.

#131 Jon B on 12.23.19 at 9:28 pm

#132 Rural Rick on 12.23.19 at 9:31 pm

Garth you and your endeavors have empowered, educated and enriched multitudes. Do not heed those dogs at your heels. Making large tracks does that. Merry merry to you and yours. Ho ho ho

#133 6th Sense on 12.23.19 at 9:42 pm

5 Not to take a breath away
———————————
Great points about “do’s” and “don’t” of donation business.

Garth, wish you added a ‘like’ button in the comments section!

#134 Daniel on 12.23.19 at 9:43 pm

Thank you Garth and team for another great year of blogs. I have been reading daily for 3 years. I learn something every day and you make me smile. You have a positive impact on many people. Merry Christmas

#135 stan nix on 12.23.19 at 9:45 pm

True good deeds and charity are done anonymously without attracting notice to oneself. Otherwise, it becomes a “look how nice I am” advertorial.

#136 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm

All I wanted was reminding everyone that it’s called Christmas, celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, who at a later age kicked out the money lenders in front of the temple and wandered around the poor and unfortunate ones.
We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.
Just saying.

#137 Ignorance Is Bliss on 12.23.19 at 9:56 pm

You and your team are doing amazing things, Garth. So many are benefiting from your sound financial advice, and your charity efforts are heartwarming to hear about. Merry Christmas to one and all.

#138 Cow Man on 12.23.19 at 10:06 pm

Sir Garth
Thank you for telling the other side of your Turner Investments story.

#139 ImGonnaBeSick on 12.23.19 at 10:07 pm

#115 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 8:01 pm
yeah, the pleasant Austrian ladies wearing the pretty Dirndls.
Frohe Weihnachten, blog hunde

——

Who’s to say the actors don’t identify as Austrian… Isn’t that all that’s needed now?

Merry Christmas Mr. Garth, family and colleagues. Thanks for all you do!

#140 Katherine on 12.23.19 at 10:26 pm

Merry Christmas Garth, Dorothy and Bandit. Don’t let the assholes get to you. There is always someone who has to be a dick. Just because people don’t talk about where they donate time/money doesn’t mean it didn’t happe
n. I volunteer at my local hospital….only those close to me know this….not something i brag about. There are lots of us out there. Keep up the good work Garth and team. Love your blog and am very pleased to have you as my financial advisor.

#141 Love Guru's Dad on 12.23.19 at 10:46 pm

Peace and Love to you and yours Garth. Well earned.

#142 IHCTD9 on 12.23.19 at 10:49 pm

#101 tccontrarian on 12.23.19 at 7:01 pm

…I’d say that for many people, the philanthropic urge grows as portfolios grow. Others will be Scrouges no matter what.

Amen – TCC
——

100%. When we were young and running into overdraft every month, giving big was down the list a ways. Now, as the big bills start to wane, giving big rises up the list. We do it in secret as well.

“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.“

I have sat on a few committees and was involved in finances every time. It was just the nature of the beast that I would eventually see some names and amounts. A pretty heartwarming experience sometimes. I knew most of them.

Therefore, I can say without hesitation that folks who have been blessed with a generous heart and resources to match, really do make great things happen.

You’ll just never hear about it.

#143 SWL on 12.23.19 at 11:03 pm

Sir Garth, you are a Saint

Merry Christmas to all

Scott

#144 Mark on 12.23.19 at 11:05 pm

Have maybe submitted 1 comment in 10 years. Doing so again to say THANK YOU.

#145 just a dude on 12.23.19 at 11:06 pm

Garth, kudos to you and your colleagues – thank you for all that you do (over and above this great blog). Awesome post.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you, your family, your colleagues and all blog dogs here (even the pompous a-holes who will hopefully come down off their high horses one day and join the rest of us mere mortals on this fine earth and just be kind to others without being judgemental … I’m an eternal optimist).

#146 Andy P on 12.23.19 at 11:21 pm

Thanks Garth for all you do! Love the blog and the content – and the witty commentary.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

#147 stats freak on 12.23.19 at 11:39 pm

I for one consider myself truly blessed to have discovered your (original book) and then your blog. It changed my outlook on saving and now I am about to retire at 60 with mucho moolah and nothing but gratitude in my heart for the fortunate position I am in. No words can ever express how indebted I am to you for all your help.

Never mind the small minded people who comment on this blog and have nothing better to do but complain and find fault – one day they may have a lightbulb moment and realize they were looking at themselves in the mirror the whole time.

Love to you and Dorothy and Bandit and everyone you work with who continue to “do the right things” day in and day out without having to be coerced.

Happy, healthy and prosperous 2020 to all of you!!

#148 stats freak on 12.23.19 at 11:40 pm

Happy, healthy and prosperous 2020 to all of you!!

#149 N on 12.23.19 at 11:53 pm

#150 Nonplused on 12.23.19 at 11:56 pm

I was going to repost the quote for context but have decided not to because it is unnecessary and it is so condescending and salacious. Garth, you are right to be deeply offended by the oft-visiting A-hole. (I’m glad you weren’t referring to me in this time!)

I don’t get how some people come to the conclusion that if you are successful financially it must mean you are not generous. It’s a bit of mind reading to say the least. And it begs the question, what has one to give when they can’t even take care of their own? I would suggest that the majority of people who contribute substantial amounts to charity share one thing in common: They have the means. And that means they might also own stocks.

That was just a mean-spirited comment from an obviously very angry person. I feel bad for you that you were forced to disclose some of your charitable activities, because charity isn’t meant to be something you have to make public. It sort of belongs in the same group of things as prayer, which Christ admonished us to do in private. An honest heartfelt act of kindness is not meant to be made to attract attention to oneself.

I for one have always assumed you have always had your ways of giving to the community, as do most people who have the means, but that it wasn’t really my business. And as wide ranging as the subjects often are on this blog covering everything from finance and investing to politics and marital relations, I don’t think charity really fits in. Unless of course you wish to give us a crash course on how to maximize the tax treatment.

#151 yorkville renter on 12.24.19 at 12:02 am

Merry Christmas everyone.

Best wishes for a happy and successful 2020!

#152 Lisa on 12.24.19 at 12:25 am

Thank-you Garth Claus for providing me with 7 years of free advice.
Thank you to all who help those in need.
Ignore the virtue signalers, although that may be hard these days as there are so many of them.

#153 TurnerNation on 12.24.19 at 12:25 am

#34 Sierts and the truth is half way between those points.
Every large city yearly spends $50,000-100,000 per homeless person on taxes toward the “Poverty Industry”. Google this for more examples.
That’s right an endless layer of government and public unions. It’s big business. Not so much for its ’employees’ the poor folks.
Enough to take care of everyone, even as they may be – effectively disabled due to years of chronic neglect/addiction/abuse/street living. It rarely makes it.
At this time in my life I not big into charity though a window could arise. At present I pay taxes 365 days a year…which the government is to re-distribute as they see fit.

#154 BS on 12.24.19 at 12:42 am

Anyone who made a killing on the stock market is going to pay taxes on it. Considering 50% of Canadians pay no taxes it may be better to thank those who took the risk with their capital that pay taxes that support the 50% that don’t pay taxes. You can also bet most charities get most of their donations from those same people. Where do you think the government and charities get their money from? It isn’t Santa Clause. Your welcome.

#155 Stylite on 12.24.19 at 1:01 am

It’s the small things that count

#156 Al on 12.24.19 at 1:07 am

If we avoid less taxes there will be less of a need for all the well intentioned, private charitable contributions. I’m right behind you guys. The 8-10 figure guys always lead.

#157 North Van Landlord. retired on 12.24.19 at 1:13 am

Thank you and your staff for all the info you donate to Canadians and others around the world. Discovering this blog was the BEST present I ever received. What a delight it is: informative, humorous, technical, and social. Blessings to all writers and readers.

#158 Haus Edlinger on 12.24.19 at 2:17 am

I stopped reading a while ago when it became clear that Europe is home for good now and no possible return to YYC.
Much of your common sense writings applies to Europe as well, so your Blog is back on the daily read list.

Frohliche Weihnachten from Austria

#159 DeeM on 12.24.19 at 5:43 am

Amen indeed.
My family for one has been empowered through this blog to seize control of and manage our money, to understand what investing is and, God forbid that serious need should ever arise, to ensure that our family is cared for. We have certainly advanced and enjoy more independence and freedom than I ever dared dream of. Thanks Garth.

#160 Mr Happy on 12.24.19 at 5:49 am

Merry Christmas Garth. I too was once a mortgage laden, barely saving, lost soul that was living day to day. I started reading your blog back in the year when you said to buy bonds and I did. ( 2010?) Today I am debt free and sitting on close to 2 mil in my portfolio and enjoying life. This came about largely from your advice on this blog. I believe in what goes around, comes around. You just continue to do what you are doing and you will continue to be blessed. The A-holes will continue to be sad A-holes. Cheers and Happy New Year! Mr Happy!

#161 ts on 12.24.19 at 6:25 am

Garth, Merry Christmas and best wishes to you and your family and your team for a healthy and happy New Year. Thanks for the gift of this blog and for your generosity in helping others in need.

#162 Ambrose P on 12.24.19 at 7:02 am

Dear Garth, though we have been reading your blog and also some comments on a daily basis in the last three years, we have never ventured to writing in this commenting platform before.

We must state here that we have immensely benefited from your blogs and also from some comments posted here.

Thanks a lot Garth and the dedicated team of Greater Fool for the great investing advise and retirement tips you share on a daily basis.

Thank you all and Merry Christmas. May God bless you all.

#163 Ambrose P on 12.24.19 at 7:04 am

#18 Mick McLean on 12.23.19 at 1:26 pm

Can you please share the list of ETF’s that you invested-in which helped you retire with the help of Greater Fool.

#164 Fortune500 on 12.24.19 at 7:06 am

Garth, you are a good man. You have helped our family immeasurably. The internet always brings out some of the worst in people. A combination of jealousy, lack of meaning, and the anonymity of the online world. Here are some good wishes to patch that hole in your thick skin.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Signed,

A Garth-Made 30-something Millionaire

#165 theoryAndPractice on 12.24.19 at 7:07 am

Hi Garth and all,
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Thank you once again, for sharing your knowledge,
that helped me to solve the rest of the puzzle.

#166 Bezengy on 12.24.19 at 7:27 am

Some years ago I was serving as a Rotary pres. The district’s “Big Cheese” had a fundraising brainwave to paint a picture, make 100 prints and have every club sell one for $1000, easy money so to speak. The issue was nobody wanted to buy the thing as it wasn’t quite “Van Gogh” quality (I’m being nice). We discussed how to sell/give it away for months. About a year passed when a member approached me and handed me the $1000 cash. He had two conditions. One, he was to remain anonymous, the second was that I would never mention the (bleep) painting again. In the end the district got its money so I guess it all worked out for the best.

Merry Christmas and many thanks to you and your family Garth, and the same to all of the bloggers, even the angry ones.

#167 Mishuko on 12.24.19 at 7:36 am

Merry Christmas Garth and team! I hope you give your amazons some time off too!

I am sure that “silent majority” who rarely post have the same feelings of respect for your continuous efforts. I for one would probably be that 40% thats 200 loons from insolvency… hopefully some of them wander this way in 2020

#168 Ontario's Left Coast on 12.24.19 at 7:45 am

Awesome stuff! Thanks for all that you and your colleagues do, Garth. Merry Christmas to you and all the Dawgs!

#169 IHCTD9 on 12.24.19 at 8:32 am

#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm
We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.
Just saying.
___

Take heart Ponzie – Canadians are broke so they are planning to spend less this year:

FWIW, if your heart is in the right place when you give, it probably does not matter how much you spend.

#170 delidamo on 12.24.19 at 8:33 am

Please keep doing what you’re doing Garth! Merry Christmas, all the best for 2020

#171 Emma Zaun - GreaterFool Unpaid Intern #007 on 12.24.19 at 8:35 am

And I even hear you are going to let us all leave early, at 4:59 pm today.

Woohoo.

Happy virtue signalling season day, beloved blog host.

Grievances will be on your doorstep Christmas morning.

#172 Dharma Bum on 12.24.19 at 8:52 am

These bitter sounding comments that disparage the financial success of others under the guise of virtue are usually jealousy induced.

No matter.

Think of it this way:

Markets are up.
A-Holes are down.

Things are looking up.

Merry Christmas to all!

#173 Paul on 12.24.19 at 9:00 am

#165 IHCTD9 on 12.24.19 at 8:32 am
#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm
We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.
Just saying.
___

————————————————————————————————
So strange talk about killing the Goose,The retailers trying to be politically correct and make Christmas “Happy Holidays” are now having greeters and allowing cashiers say Merry Christmas. Must have been feeling the pinch.

#174 Sanga on 12.24.19 at 9:07 am

Merry Christmas Garth and team. Thanks for your blog.
I’ve enjoyed your advice and humour for far too long without ever posting a thank you.

#175 maxx on 12.24.19 at 9:08 am

Happy Christmas to Garth, Dorothy, Bandit, the dawgs and our wonderful firefighters in Australia who are away from their families.

#176 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 9:52 am

#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm

We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.

Just saying.

———————————————-

It’s ok, Ponz. You’re still invited to my plantation for the holidays.

Wear a dirndl.

#177 Gruff403 on 12.24.19 at 10:07 am

Merry Christmas everyone. ALL of us have the opportunity to share either our time, talents or our treasure. Best to give without judgement or expectation. Give because you have been blessed. Give because you can. Give as part of a lifestyle. No strings attached. Give when it hurts, give when it’s inconvenient. Look for opportunities (there are lots) but of course use good judgement. I don’t give to people who come to my door as a rule but instead ask for their website or literature. Remember that the vast majority of the people reading this are in the top 10% of wealth on the planet.
Peace to all.

#178 Mattl on 12.24.19 at 10:15 am

Great post!

I responded to that dbag saying something similar – good times allow us to donate, contribute. My family had our best year ever and it allowed us to donate time and money in a way we never have before.

Merry Christmas to all

#179 Albertistan on 12.24.19 at 10:25 am

Thank you for efforts Garth, your insight and humour are much appreciated.
Merry Christmas

#180 NoName on 12.24.19 at 10:35 am

As a Christmas is slowly approaching and i reminiscence and reflect on a past year, i can tell you all that there are many people and things that i am grateful for. This year and many others, people extended their hand and help my family with kind gesture, action and advice.

So i begin

I am grateful for my wife who doesn’t complains as much as she should and could, cooks cleans and steel looks smoking hot.

I am grateful for my children who make our day to day life much more interesting than it should be.

I am grateful for my whole 5 friends and 3 quasy friends, this year especially for friend who let me lift my 5000 lbs vehicle on 4000 floor hoist so repair can be made.

I am grateful for my son pharmacist who always drop what he is doing and say hi to us. This one time he was going home, and when he sow us he walked back and spent 10 min looking for my son’s prescription… What a great guy!

I am grateful for our postal worker who always delivers mail regardless of weather with smile on her face, judging by the smile i am suspecting she is reading comments…

Ia am grateful for our son ednocongologist and her team who always give us call when bloody work comes back funny.

I am grateful for my drinking buddys, especially those that are unable to keep up with me so i get more.

I am grateful that engine oil change on cars is every 16k so i can push it to 20k.

And last but not least

I am grateful for dude who daily donates his time and puts up with misfits and weirdos that occupy storage section.

#181 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.24.19 at 11:06 am

For those who are interested in the origin of “Silent night, Holy night”

#182 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.24.19 at 11:23 am

————————-
Since then the demand has steadily increased, and is now at the breaking point.

#183 Shawn Allen on 12.24.19 at 11:34 am

A-holes are as A-holes do

#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm responded:

We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.
Just saying.

************************************
You’re a sanctimonious A-hole. Just saying.

#184 conan on 12.24.19 at 12:11 pm

Nice words Garth.

#185 Russ on 12.24.19 at 12:16 pm

Ponzius Pilatus on 12.24.19 at 11:06 am

For those who are interested in the origin of “Silent night, Holy night”
=========================

A very popular Christmastime tune alright.

At sing & strums in Hawaii at this time of year we hear it often sung with a different language for each verse. Most common is English, Hawaiian, Japanese & German.

Such as this:

Merry Christmas to all.

#186 Stormy Daniels on 12.24.19 at 12:19 pm

It would be lovely to find $130,000 in my stocking tomorrow morning. I won’t tell anyone about you, me and Bandit.

Fa la la la la, la, la, la, LAW.

#187 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 12:31 pm

#179 Shawn Allen on 12.24.19 at 11:34 am

A-holes are as A-holes do

#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm responded:

We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.
Just saying.

************************************
You’re a sanctimonious A-hole. Just saying.

——————————————-

Shawn, so angry on xmas eve?

We’re all a combination of things. You’ve probably been sanctimonious in your day.

#188 I'm A Believer on 12.24.19 at 12:32 pm

Wonderful Garth! A fine example of what to do when you have the means to do so.
Take that Axxhole.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

#189 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.24.19 at 12:48 pm

@#182 Silly Daniels

That joke wasnt funny the first 10 times you attempted it.
Time to stop flogging a dead horse.

#190 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 12:51 pm

After all, nobody’s perfect.

Except that one guy. So we killed him.

#191 SoggyShorts on 12.24.19 at 12:53 pm

#182 Stormy Daniels on 12.24.19 at 12:19 pm
It would be lovely to find $130,000 in my stocking tomorrow
********************
Best I can do is a banana and some duct tape, the other 10K you’ll have to find yourself.

#192 SoggyShorts on 12.24.19 at 12:56 pm

#183 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 12:31 pm
#179 Shawn Allen on 12.24.19 at 11:34 am

A-holes are as A-holes do

#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm responded:

All I wanted was reminding everyone that it’s called Christmas, celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.
****************************
I always wonder about that from Joseph’s perspective:
Imagine your girl whom you’ve never slept with gets preggers and then at the birth 3 randos show up with gifts.
You gotta start asking questions Joe…

#193 Smoking Man on 12.24.19 at 1:01 pm

Merry Christmas All.

#194 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.24.19 at 1:09 pm

#183 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 12:31 pm
#179 Shawn Allen on 12.24.19 at 11:34 am

A-holes are as A-holes do

#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm responded:

We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.
Just saying.

************************************
You’re a sanctimonious A-hole. Just saying.
——————————————-
Shawn, so angry on xmas eve?

—————————-
This Austrian country pumpkin does not know what sanctimonious means.

#195 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.24.19 at 1:15 pm

@#178 Ponzie Pilot
“In Vancouver, there were no food banks before EXPO 86, when we welcomed the world.”
++++
Yes, there were.
I’ve been a Lower Brainlander since 1981 and the food banks were around then.
And lets not forget the Union Gospel Mission that has been giving out free meals daily for decades before Expo 86…

#196 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 1:26 pm

#190 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.24.19 at 1:09 pm
#183 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 12:31 pm
#179 Shawn Allen on 12.24.19 at 11:34 am

************************************
You’re a sanctimonious A-hole. Just saying.
——————————————-

—————————-
This Austrian country pumpkin does not know what sanctimonious means.

————————————-

Are you really a pumpkin?

#197 IHCTD9 on 12.24.19 at 1:30 pm

#172 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 9:52 am
#134 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.23.19 at 9:48 pm

We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.

Just saying.

———————————————-

It’s ok, Ponz. You’re still invited to my plantation for the holidays.

Wear a dirndl.
——

I don’t think you’re an a$$ho either Ponzie, once you are done visiting SA’s plantation, you are welcome to stop by the bunker complex as well. We can watch some old Arnie movies, and you can translate so I can finally understand what the hell he is saying.

No dirndl’s allowed though, it’s a full camo only dress code here in the sticks.

#198 IHCTD9 on 12.24.19 at 1:39 pm

#188 SoggyShorts on 12.24.19 at 12:56 pm

I always wonder about that from Joseph’s perspective:
You gotta start asking questions Joe…
—-

IIRC, upon hearing the news J immediately lawyered up and was dividing his assets before he was directed to stay the course.

#199 3-d Candle of Hanukkah on 12.24.19 at 1:54 pm

160 years, or 20 generations before Jesus, in the second century BCE, the Holy Land was ruled by the Syrian-Greeks, who tried to force the people of Israel to accept Greek pagan culture and beliefs instead of observance and belief in G‑d. Against all odds, a small band of faithful but poorly armed Jews, led by Judah the Maccabee, defeated one of the mightiest armies on earth, drove the Greeks from the land, reclaimed the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and rededicated it to the service of G‑d.

When they sought to light the Temple’s Menorah (the seven-branched candelabrum), they found only a single cruse of olive oil that had escaped contamination by the Greeks. Miraculously, they lit the menorah and the one-day supply of oil lasted for eight days, until new oil could be prepared under conditions of ritual purity.

To commemorate and publicize these miracles, the sages instituted the festival of Hanukkah.

Today at about 5:30 pm the 3-d candle must be flamed. Do not forget!

#200 Shawn Allen on 12.24.19 at 2:04 pm

What, me angry?

We somehow have turned it into a time to celebrate excessive consumerism.
Just saying.

************************************
You’re a sanctimonious A-hole. Just saying.

——————————————-

Shawn, so angry on xmas eve?

**************************************
I’m just having fun with words, like just saying.

But I should have said Ponzi was an unrepentant sanctimonious A-hole. Just saying.

And, yes, I am sure I have been sanctimonious at times. And certainly an A-hole at times. As accused above also a bumpkin but, right, never a pumpkin (yet).

Merry Christmas to all (even Stan). Let’s remember that for most of us, our various problems and concerns are minor in the grand scheme. I am always humbled when I am reminded of people dealing with actual tragic circumstances or true hardship.

#201 Shawn Allen on 12.24.19 at 2:06 pm

Actually, it was Ponzi who said he was a pumkin. Was not accusing me.

#202 Cici on 12.24.19 at 2:25 pm

Amen to that Garth. You are a true Canadian, not the spoiled, entitled birthright brat-type so common these days.

I’d also like to say thanks for the enertainment factor of this here your blog. This little gem stands out in a sea of boring Internet content with little-to-no value. Always puts a smile on my face!

#203 Barb on 12.24.19 at 2:28 pm

———————————————

Reading this poster’s comment the other day made me mad. Garth called it correctly; the individual’s an a**hole for assuming to know what they could only have guessed at. Spitefulness likely touches many aspects of the individual’s life.

The Negative Nellies are just noise.

Merry Christmas to your staff, and thanks for the photos of some recipients of the work you do…without fanfare.

#204 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 2:31 pm

#193 IHCTD9 on 12.24.19 at 1:30 pm
#172 Sail Away on 12.24.19 at 9:52 am

———————————————-

It’s ok, Ponz. You’re still invited to my plantation for the holidays.

Wear a dirndl.
——

———————————

Didn’t Heidi have a camo dirndl? All those countries are sort of interchangeable anyway: Belgium, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, etc.. Same people, same culture, same dirndl.

It would probably be best to combine Europe to avoid confusion if they could be prevented from going all Evil Empire.

#205 Leo on 12.24.19 at 3:05 pm

Thank you for financial advice Garth.
You have been a huge influence in helping me get on track to financially secure retirement.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Illegitimi non carborundum

#206 Ustabe on 12.24.19 at 4:18 pm

The founders of Greenpeace no longer support it. In Europe, Germany in particular, it has morphed into an extortion/money laundering outfit.

Ditto the lady that started MADD. Check out the male lead, male dominated Board and the politics behind its transition into anti drug rationalization.

You must be mindful when you give. Just saying.

For instance when you go to the animal shelter and make a suitable donation you get a new dog. That, apparently, isn’t the case at the women’s shelter.

#207 Keith in Rio on 12.24.19 at 4:20 pm

Feliz Natal e Feliz Ano Novo pra todos !!!

#208 Don Guillermo on 12.24.19 at 4:24 pm

Hi Garth. Merry Christmas to you and your family! I’ve enjoyed your blog from the very beginning although have just chipped in a few comments recently. It has helped my wife and I organize our finances and we are very happily retired because of it. Thanks so much and have a great New Year!

#209 Mountain on 12.24.19 at 5:34 pm

One of the greatest things about money is having enough that you can joyfully give some to others.
One of the greatest things about retirement is that you have the time to give some to worthwhile causes.

Thank you Garth for all the wisdom you’ve shared with us.

#210 MaryEn on 12.24.19 at 5:35 pm

I can’t thank you enough for all FREE advices that I got from you and your great team over the years. As someone with financial background, I can hardly imagine more useful and generous gifts in this field! You have financially helped our immigrant family a great deal! Thank you Garth and Marry Christmas.

#211 Bruce Kluey on 12.25.19 at 12:28 pm

Couldn’t have said it better!….we are allowed to kick ass and be grateful, thankful and helpful….doesn’t make you a bad person