Kid cash

– Andy Seliverstoff photo

Enough of T2, Jag, ‘Doug’ Scheer, Max, Greenies-Greta and the Blochead dude. Let’s stray back into the real world for at least a day, where people actually mean what they say. In this life folks worry about taxes, cash flow, houses, debt, savings, pensions and their kids. And that brings us to Kate and her Little Star.

First, the MSU: “I am a long-time reader, shook your hand once, has been featured on the blog before and keep sending you every cute picture of a dog I see on the Internet. In short, many years faithful fan here. Here goes the mandatory introduction paragraph. But this is not what my email is about.”

Of course not. There’s an ask coming. Turns out Little Star is 11 and has been bringing home money as a movie/commercial extra. Mom, apparently, is also weird. “We are reading the books about stock market investing before bed and once she understands diversification, indexes, compound interest and freedoom-35 concepts, I want to lure her into putting 50% (or more) of her income into a portfolio. Now the question is where her portfolio should be kept.”

There’d be no issue if LS was at the age of majority (19 in BC, 18 most everywhere else) since then she could have a TFSA and chunk the cash in there routinely, or just open a non-reg account. But minors can’t do that. And parents wanting to teach their kids about investing face an issue.

Here are the four options Kate is sweating, and her comments:

1. Formal trust – expensive to set up (requires a lawyer), can put any money in (not sure if they care about the source), cannot withdraw anything until she is 19 and then the interest/capital gains are taxed in her hands (?). It seems too complicated and not too flexible.
2. Informal trust – easy to set up but NGATB told me that the money invested will be attributed to me (why? she is the one who earned the money). The Internet says that parents receive letters from CRA but as long as they can prove (yearly?) that the income belongs to the child (invoices, CCB statements), they are fine. The Internet also says that people do withdraw the money but then it is a gray area since the trust is informal. This seems an OK option as long as I can prove that she made the money and the investment income is attributed to her.
3. RESP – ours is unfortunately maxed ;)
4. My TFSA – I have a little bit of room there. I can create a separate TFSA for her under my name and make her a beneficiary and once she is 19, move all the money into her accounts tax-free. BUT if I die before that, she will be taxed on interest/capital gains. Besides, she is eating up my TFSA room and what if she starts making a reasonable amount?

“What would you recommend? I do not think you previously discussed this topic in your blog and it might be helpful for other people, too. It looks like my idea to train her to save and invest from the early age is not easy to implement. I would really appreciate your opinion on the subject.”

Good research. A formal trust is a truly bad idea, costly, cumbersome and irrational unless Little Star is bring in tens or hundreds of thousands. An informal trust, or in-trust account, is just that – not a trust, just a bank vehicle with a defined beneficiary. No cost involved, but there are things to know…

Once money is in there, it belongs to the kid on a permanent basis. Income – interest and dividends – is attributed back to the trustee (mom) for tax purposes. But since most assets for an 11-year-old would be growthy in nature, yielding capital gains, no tax. In any case, if you want to prove to the CRA that LS earned the money, fine. You can also throw in the monthly kiddie pogey too, and no income will be attributed to you. Once the child hits the age of majority, the trust becomes their property, with all gains/income taxable in their hands. If the trustee croaks before that happens, the in-trust account sits in the estate until the offspring hits 19/18.

So, this is an option. But be aware a trustee has obligations to manage the money prudently. If not, the kid can sue you. Seriously.

Well, here’s the advice.

The first choice is the RESP, since money grows in 100% tax-free and LS is already the beneficiary. A nice balanced portfolio can be held there, and lots of lessons taught and learned about how assets perform. You say the current RESP is ‘maxed’? That probably means you’ve put enough in annually to earn the full government grant ($2,500). But the rules allow $50,000 to be dumped into this type of account, per child, and invested for decades. So there is likely enough room here to store lots of royalty cheques. Plus you can still go back one year at a time and claim the grant.

Second choice is to use your TFSA, and simply decide that the proceeds will go to your child when she hits the magic number. All growth is free of tax and, no, nothing will be taxed away if you die – only the increase in the value of the TFSA (if any) following death. If you have a spouse, make him the ‘successor holder’, then he can gift the money later. Also tax free.

Lastly, third choice, is that in-trust account. There’s the potential for confusion here, a CRA challenge, tax attribution or legal issues. The good news is then you can teach her the difference between torts and tarts. Essential in show biz.

#1 Andrewski on 10.14.19 at 2:52 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Garth & all blogdogs. An RESP worked out great for our son. Zero student debt. Education fully funded.

#2 Sebee on 10.14.19 at 3:02 pm

A Candian Thanksgiving-Election twofer haiku.

Turkey-vote, red wine
Blueberry glaze, carrots, greens
It all comes out brown

#3 odious herodias on 10.14.19 at 3:03 pm

Really, “Doug” Scheer ? I only wish Andrew Scheer had the testicular mass to do something bold and conservative like Doug Ford has done on occasion.

You of all people should understand that unless we return to conservative ( small “c” ) principles we are up the proverbial creek sans paddle. Why disparage the lesser of the multiple evils?

Disappointing.

I try to disparage everyone equally. – Garth

#4 BlogDog123 on 10.14.19 at 3:16 pm

Tried explaining the TFSA “successor holder” to both my octogenarian parents… Explained the advantages, disadvantages of not having it, had the paperwork ready to go… Even explained it right in front of the clueless [email protected] who had the forms ready to go.

They all just didn’t care, clue in or want to git er done…

Oh well…

#5 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 3:19 pm

I’m in a giving mood today too. Anyone owning waterfront property in Canada? I will do you now a favour and offer you 10 cents on the dollar, no questions asked. Pas de questions.
Look I’m helping you out. Sell now before Climate Change wipes out all beaches and your home becomes uninsurable.
10 cents on the dollar to last assessment, paid via E-Transfer.
Post your properties now I will begin the process.

#6 JSS on 10.14.19 at 3:23 pm

Happy thanksgiving everyone.
We’re eating butter chicken instead of turkey tonight.

#7 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 3:25 pm

Wow.

An 11 year old that reads “investment strategies” for fun?
That kid’s going to be the next Warren Buffet.

Well done.

#8 Flop... on 10.14.19 at 3:25 pm

Sebee
A Candian Thanksgiving-Election twofer haiku.

Turkey-vote, red wine
Blueberry glaze, carrots, greens
It all comes out brown.

/////////////////////

Nice one Seb.

To get my backside to the booth, I tried to make it as palatable as possible and looked at the federal leaders as ice cream flavours.

Andrew Scheer….Double churned vanilla.

Justin Trudeau…..Rocky Road.

Jagmeet Singh….Mango.

Elizabeth May….Mint chocolate chip.

Didn’t worry about the others because I thought I was already scraping the bottom of the bucket.

With all the nonsense going on I went for vanilla with a few nuts sprinkled around it…

#9 Ace Goodheart on 10.14.19 at 3:27 pm

Well, the latest polling numbers are in.

It looks like……a liberal/ ndp / green coalition government, with Dizzie Lizzie as minister of environment and climate change, Jagmeet as the new Finsnce Minister and T2 heading up the pack as coalition leader.

Oh well.

At least no one is going to call Lizzie “Barbie”

#10 Sebee on 10.14.19 at 3:32 pm

Unicorn, acorn, it’s all just another way if saying “one corn”.

What does it have to do with RESPs? Nothing but a smile.

#11 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 3:34 pm

@#126 Sail Away
“My only accomplishment today was a cornbread-topped turkey pot pie. Pedestrian, I know. But delicious.”:
****

Sounds good.
I OD’d on turkey so…..
I grabbed a 5lb Prime Rib Roast on sale and cooked it up last night.
Tried a new recipe.
1 hr at preheated 375 deg. F
Turned the oven off and let it sit in the oven for 3 hours without opening the door.
Turned oven back on to 375 F for more 45 mins.

Finito.

Delicious, fall off the bone , tender meat.
Vegetarians dont know what they’re missing.

#12 Yukon Elvis on 10.14.19 at 3:39 pm

Heard a noise in the attic. Went up for a look. Shadows. Cobwebs. A scratching noise. There it was, Yukon Noah’s old sea chest. Lifted the lid. A rustling inside. Lifted the veil and there was the Crystal Ball. Heard a voice, it said knock knock. I said who the F is there ??!! It said Justin. I said Justin who ? It said Justin case you didn’t know he will be back! Then the ball turned green and my hair caught fire. I ran down stairs and jumped in the shower. What a mess. Had to bury my shorts. I’m ok now . Thanks for asking. Not going back up there. Where’s my bong ?

#13 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 4:07 pm

#9 Ace Goodheart on 10.14.19 at 3:27 pm
Well, the latest polling numbers are in.

******************************
Reminds me of the old joke:

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it’s all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover’s Swiss, the police German and it’s all organized by the Italians.

That coalition doesn’t sound like Heaven to me…

#14 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 4:13 pm

#5 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 3:19 pm

10 cents on the dollar to last assessment, paid via E-Transfer.
Post your properties now I will begin the process.

********************
What is your point? Because someone won’t sell you property right now at a 90% discount that means climate change isn’t real? Really?
How about a real offer like offering to buy property in the Maldives at 90 percent of today’s value with the payout & handoff to happen in 30, 40 or 50 years, seller’s choice.
Are you that confident?

#15 greyhound on 10.14.19 at 4:15 pm

I’m amazed that this blog is still free.

#16 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 4:50 pm

#138 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 2:30 pm
#129 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 1:03 pm
#76 BlackDog the planet has lasted billions of years it’ll do fine.
******************
Yes, obviously the planet and some form of life will be fine. What a silly statement. Seriously who cares about rocks without humans?

Even if the predictions are exaggerated, it’s not hard to believe that seemingly small things will change

Will humanity in some number and form “survive“? Most likely, but is that really how low of a bar you want to set?

————————————

Hey Sogs, why are you so concerned about humanity as a whole? Most of the people I know who feel it’s somehow their calling to improve the human condition are not particularly pleasant to be around.

So, ok, you have a noble future purpose. Bravo. Do you also donate significant cash and time to the humans needing your help next door right now?

#17 JustAJoke on 10.14.19 at 4:50 pm

#2 Sebee

Is that a prediction of a Singh victory?

#18 Dogman01 on 10.14.19 at 4:51 pm

Speaking of Children accumulating trust funds; Greta is coming to Alberta.

For more inoculation against the Climate change cult;
An example of what it will take to deal with this “emergency”

#19 BlogDog123 on 10.14.19 at 5:00 pm

A message from your Liberal-NDP-Green Coalition:

We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

Trans Mountain pipes wlll be turned into an irrigation system for the wheat fields where the Albertans will toil away making non-GMO food at very low pay.

All that oil and the potential money that goes with it will stay in the ground trapped as carbon forever. Foreign investors take notice: We cannot get energy projects done here no more!

To pay for all our coalition promises, we’ll tax the evil 1%ers, many of whom are now exiting the country. So the remaining folks, some move up to the 1% and we’ll hoover their savings to pay for our fantasies. If you make more than 100k, we’re coming after you too!

Now, we gotta turn off all those oil pipelines already in the ground. Lots of work to do to please Mrs. May, as remember, we’re in a climate emergency!

Investors pulling their money out of Canada? They’re so bad! Tax ’em all on the way out!

A message from your Lib-NDP-Green coalition. Do as you’re told.

#20 JohnnyAB on 10.14.19 at 5:00 pm

Is that a Caucasian Shepherd on the picture, or a St Bernard?

#21 Sebee on 10.14.19 at 5:10 pm

#8 Flop.

There was no way to fit desert into that haiku, so that was perfect complement Flop. Thanks. Gotta have desert.

Isn’t Justin Trudeau White Chocolate Ice Cream though? I think so.

He’s trying to rebrand himself under “chocolate” brand many like yet he’s just mostly processed sugar and milk solids – doesn’t even have the right color! How is that even allowed to be called chocolate? We sampled the flavour, I think it is time to go vanilla.

DYK – Vanilla is actually the most popular flavour in the world? 3 to 1 over chocolate. They are reporting cookies and cream in US because of all those oreo McFlurries and other copycats, but good’ol vanilla is #1 by a long shot. Double Churned though, eh? I have to admit, I’m partial to French Vanilla myself.

Hey, as a funny sidenote my haiku was “Number 2” comment.

#22 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 5:18 pm

As a U of Alberta grad I’m insulted that the U of A would invite a propagandist puppet like Thunberg to “lecture” and scream at us on fossil fuels. She’s an ill-informed child, nothing more.

Thunberg’s problem is that she is too young to realize the people around her are lying to her, and I don’t blame her as most of us don’t realize how much were lied to until our 30’s. There may be hope for her, but she’s in for a massive bout of cognitive dissonance.

This ill disciplined child crusader’s invitation is just another reason that the Engineering faculty is breaking away from the University of Alberta. They’ve had enough of the propagandist BS spouted by the low information faculty members. Let’s face facts: Only people who know very, very little about a topic are 100% confident of their knowledge. Someone who is well versed understands where the devils live.

Doesn’t anyone else find it odd that engineers and earth scientists are amongst the least convinced that cubing CO2 emissions will have any measurable effect on climate, but english majors and poli-sci grads are absolutely certain that they will?

Two things to remember:

1. Nothing happens until a Professional Engineer signs off on it.

2. No Professional Engineer has ever signed off on CO2 being the cause of climate change.

I hope the U of A can survive from all those alumni donations from history and ploi-sci grads working at Starbucks. The thick $$$ stream will leave when the Engineers part ways with U of A.

If she doesn’t matter, why can’t you ignore her? – Garth

#23 Flop... on 10.14.19 at 5:32 pm

I live probably 3 kilometres away from the Skytrain and I can hear this noise in the background.

My wife has been working with young kids for most of her adult life and now all she can hear are Kardashians.

Pass the screech…

“Vancouver residents living near the SkyTrain say the screeching noise is making their lives a misery

Until it is fixed realtors say the screech is bad enough that it would likely affect property values, if owners tried to sell. In the meantime, residents are growing increasingly angry and frustrated as they lose sleep.

Residents don’t have a problem with the usual rumbling of the trains – they say they knew what they were getting when they bought their homes near the light rapid transit line. But they hadn’t counted on the rumbling to turn into a maddening prolonged high-pitched screech that can occur for days at a time, every few minutes from 5:30 a.m. to 1 a.m., says Daina Lawrence, who lives a block away from the SkyTrain track that runs by Stainsbury Avenue in the Trout Lake area. She’s complained several times to TransLink, but has yet to receive an explanation or promise of a fix.”

#24 Sold Out on 10.14.19 at 5:36 pm

He didn’t predict fake Facebook ads and “alternative” facts, but Mark Twain got this right:

“If you don’t read the newspapers, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.”

#25 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 5:54 pm

#16 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 4:50 pm
#138 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 2:30 pm
#129 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 1:03 pm
#76 BlackDog
————————————

**********************
Oh you’ve got me all wrong- I don’t have any kids nor any nieces/nephews that I’m close with. I’m not overly concerned about it myself but that doesn’t make climate change less real, it just means I’m selfish…but not afraid to admit it.

#26 Flop... on 10.14.19 at 6:20 pm

Hey Sebee, yeah Trudeau thinks he is French Vanilla, but he was mislabeled at the factory and is really Rocky Road.

Scheer is Double churned vanilla.

Churned once for having an American passport.

I believe the second time for having higher aspirations than working in an insurance office…

#27 Drill Baby Drill on 10.14.19 at 6:22 pm

Greens are just like a Watermelon green on the outside and red on the inside.

#28 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 6:24 pm

More valuable than money? Land.

Let’s say you wanted to kick people in Canada off their land, taking generations owned farms and banning food production. Say to make people dependent on government processed soylent, beyond food.

Enter: the UN. It’s happening. You see birds overhead your farm? Watch out. Sorry no food production allowed on this ecological network. Devil is in the details.

Local stores are promoting this petition:

“Implementation: Protected areas should be integrated into the wider land- and seascape, and relevant sectors, bearing in mind the importance of complementarity and spatial configuration. In doing so, the Ecosystem Approach should be applied taking into account ecological connectivity and the concept of >>ecological networks, including connectivity for migratory species (through, for example, “fly-ways” for migratory birds)<<. Protected areas should also be established and managed in close collaboration with, and through equitable processes that recognize and respect the rights of indigenous and local communities, and vulnerable populations"

..backed by:

The declaration urges governments, civil society and business leaders across Canada to work together to protect at least 17 percent of our lands and inland waters, and 10 percent of our coastal and marine areas by 2020, in accordance with commitments under the UN Convention on Biological Diversity.

#29 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 6:36 pm

Maldives? Whats going there? We live in Canada, I want the cheap waterfront property here.

No I cannot ignore this line. I’d ask our elected reps who is rolling this out, and how it matches what we voted for, who is paying it, and our ‘rights’ [I jest] as alleged citizens of this country…but I know already the answer.
Hint it’s not about the environment. Not one solar panel or wind turbine will be errected by this or the next government. No UV waste treatment will be installed

“We are determined to mobilize the means required to implement this Agenda through a revitalised Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, based on a spirit of strengthened global solidarity, focussed in particular on the needs of the poorest and most vulnerable and >>with the participation of all countries, all stakeholders and all people.” <<

#30 Phylis on 10.14.19 at 6:40 pm

Wow, just got phone poled.
6 q’s not verbatim here.
What is your age group?
What gender do you identify with?
What party would you likely support? (Of the list provided, Liberal was first choice, pc was 5th choice)
Who do support as prime minister?
Who did you vote for in the previous election?
What is your area code?

Interesting. Was kinda excited to answer, but i didnt clearly get the name of the poll.

#31 Phylis on 10.14.19 at 6:45 pm

Oh, and yes i lied about one answer.

#32 Ace Goodheart on 10.14.19 at 6:52 pm

Re: #22 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 5:18 pm

Greta is wasting her time.

Canada accounts for a very small amount of GHG emissions.

The big emitters are China and the USA.

So Greta needs to go to China.

She should go and lecture the Chinese government. Maybe start with an anti government protest or two, and then go and speak to Xi Jinping personally. Tell him how terrible he is and how he needs to change his ways.

Then go do a nice climate change march through Tianamen square. End it with some anti Chinese government propaganda online protests (make sure she does that while she is still in the country).

Go gettum, Greta!!!!! The world is counting on you……

#33 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 6:59 pm

If she doesn’t matter, why can’t you ignore her? – Garth
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Because our equally low information PM, NDP leader and Khmer Verts godess who all think she’s a demi-deity and hang on her every word.

She’s ill-informed, mindless but unfortunately, very, very persuasive to people who are as ill-informed as her, which includes most of the Moisters.

Sad to see that so many low information people occupy positions of power in the U of A now.

#34 acdel on 10.14.19 at 7:00 pm

#18 Dogman01

As an Albertan I am actually glad that she will make a visit. Hopefully they fly her to Fort Mac; the temperature drops to minus twenty, cloudy, perhaps two feet of snow; explain to her on how much progress has been made in the gas/oil industry and we as a civilization are just not there with technology to keep people alive and keep and economy going when the temps hit minus 40.

We have made great progress but that is never discussed in media.

After her tour of Alberta; I truly hope that she flies off to China, India as well as Africa and others in her own back yard and discuss with them what the options are.

With all the money this young lady and her parents have collected; I hope they use that money to create a company that that offers clean, affordable, liveable alternatives to us poor folks and sells these ideas to the big bad oil companies.

For example; she, Suzuki, Gore, can combine all there riches together and build high speed electric trains in each country like Europe has done but wait; Southern Alberta and Manitoba, Maritimes have or just are going through days without power due to a blizzard or nasty storms. Which historically have happened many times since record keeping but please ignore those facts.

Keep in mind what many other scientist are saying; there is a solar minimum happening; it happened in the past and is happening again. Record heat temperatures are usually measured in cities where everybody is moving to; more buildings, more pavement, more heat!

Greta and others; want to make a difference; plant a tree and look after it.

Hey Garth, regarding your blog today, ask them to plant a few trees as well as contributing to there trust fund; every little bit helps! :)

#35 Renter's Revenge! on 10.14.19 at 7:04 pm

#22 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 5:18 pm
As a U of Alberta grad I’m insulted that the U of A would invite a propagandist puppet like Thunberg to “lecture” and scream at us on fossil fuels. She’s an ill-informed child, nothing more…

If she doesn’t matter, why can’t you ignore her? – Garth

=========

Wouldn’t it make more sense for her to do a video conference instead of burning fossil fuels to fly there?

#36 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 7:16 pm

#22 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 5:18 pm

————————————-

Good point. I’m an engineer and am highly skeptical of any emotionally-charged ’emergency’.

Part of that comes from experience with other global issues in my lifetime: Remember acid rain, polluted Great Lakes, raptor die-off, Brittania Beach acid-rock drainage, Chernobyl, ozone thinning, Ebola?

Or further back: cholera, smallpox, typhoid, TB, polio, leaded gas, mercury, asbestos, scurvy, rickets…

Remember how we fixed them?

#37 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 7:17 pm

@#20 JohnnyAB on 10.14.19 at 5:00 pm
Is that a Caucasian Shepherd on the picture, or a St Bernard?
///////////////////////////

Leonberger

#38 Long-Time Lurker on 10.14.19 at 7:23 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

#7 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 3:25 pm
Wow.

An 11 year old that reads “investment strategies” for fun?
That kid’s going to be the next Warren Buffet.

Well done.

How Jacob Rees-Mogg made his millions from trading shares as a schoolboy to ruthlessly walking out on the old family friend who gave him his big break

By LORD ASHCROFT FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 17:01 EDT, 14 September 2019 | UPDATED: 06:15 EDT, 15 September 2019

On March 26, 1981, an 11-year-old schoolboy stood up to address the annual general meeting in London of Lonrho, one of the largest conglomerates in the world.

Was it really sensible, the precocious interrogator asked from the floor, for Lonrho to make a bid to buy the failing Observer newspaper?

And, if the purchase went ahead, what plans were there for making it profitable?

As Lonrho’s chairman, it fell to Lord Duncan-Sandys, a former Conservative Minister, to answer the child.

This was a shareholders’ meeting, after all, and the boy’s question had to be treated as respectfully as anybody else’s – even if he was accompanied by his nanny.

Duncan-Sandys confirmed that there were indeed plans in hand, but in view of an ongoing inquiry, he was unable to reveal them….

#39 Here is a suggestion for Little Star on 10.14.19 at 7:28 pm

If the Little Star is earning money, she should be provided with a T4. With that you can start earning RSP contribution room after the first tax return (likely no tax owned). The next step would be opening an RSP. According to my research Wealthsimple is about the only company in Canada that will allow a minor to open an investment RSP account.

Why? – Garth

#40 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 7:41 pm

@#36 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 7:16 pm
#22 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 5:18 pm

————————————-

Remember how we fixed them?
___________________________________________

to think how much worse Chernobyl could have been.
necessity is the mother of invention as they say.

#41 Flop... on 10.14.19 at 7:45 pm

As a low I.Q individual, if Canadians were dumb enough to elect me to parliament, I think there is one motion I could table straight away to have a little bit of effect on the environment, excess packaging.

The size of package to what’s inside is out of control.

Why do the companies do it?

I’d always guessed free advertising just sitting there up on the shelf.

Millions of products, but here are s few off the top of my head.

Vitamins/Supplements, a lot of the plastic containers have 30 capsules inside of them and have room for maybe thousands.

Potato chips, such a big package full of air with maybe one potato cut up and crinkled inside.

Breakfast cereal, such a big box for not a whole lot inside.

With so much plastic around and getting into the food cycle if people aren’t going to shop at package free markets( I believe there are a couple in Vancouver) then the companies should have some sort of percentage limit on product to package size enforced on them.

You guys are smarter than me, but we seem to get overwhelmed by a lot of stuff tying it all in together and looking for a solution to fix everything in one go.

Chip away at the edges, get plastic out of the food cycle, keep working on new technologies.

If the governments are so concerned with all the plastic in the ocean, why are only private enterprises working on perfecting skimming technology to remove the gyres from the oceans.

Flop for 2023.

We’re all gonna die in 12 years, so you might as well put a guy that admits he’s an idiot in charge anyway.

I’ve never done blackface, but I do have two passports.

#42 Remembrancer on 10.14.19 at 7:50 pm

#24 Sold Out on 10.14.19 at 5:36 pm

—————————————-
Except good old Samual L was speaking to a section of society whom he wanted to use their noggins not just follow a Piper – to whit, FB ads and “alternate facts” was exactly what he was speaking of – in his day the newspaper (or new media) owners driving editorial content for instance – minus the gee whiz technical underpinnings he would see present day media as really no different from his era I wager…

I also bet that what would stick in his craw is the number of his modern fellow countrymen taken in by hucksters and grifters so easily…

#43 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 8:05 pm

@#41 Flop… on 10.14.19 at 7:45 pm
______________________________________

so true flop.
the amount of plastic in the oceans right now is insane.
Our disposable culture as a whole is becoming a legit problem.

#44 Shawn Allen on 10.14.19 at 8:17 pm

Climate Change – Carbon Tax and Alberta

I did not mind paying the Alberta Carbon tax. Basically, the world has already decided that Carbon emissions are bad. Alberta had gotten with the program and the carbon tax was part of that. Axing the carbon tax took away a lot of credibility on the topic for Alberta.

Whether or not the science is 100% settled is now moot. The world has decided carbon emissions are a problem and is moving on.

Besides which, it is undeniable that fossil fuel use causes some level of harmful actual pollution. So for that reason alone, a tax is justified.

Carbon tax was a form of user pay. I support user pay.

#45 acdel on 10.14.19 at 8:18 pm

#41 Flop…

I hear you; you’re dam if you do or dam if you don’t; my issue is just the hypocrisy in this world; people do not practice what they preach and expect the rest of us to pay,pay,pay on their so called almighty words. It has become mind boggling and quite frankly insulting!

I too, have taken precautions!

#46 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 8:32 pm

#36 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 7:16 pm
#22 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 5:18 pm
I’m an engineer and am highly skeptical of any emotionally-charged ’emergency’.

Remember how we fixed them?
**************************
How did we fix em? I was under the impression it was by dealing with them, not ignoring or pretending they didn’t exist, right? I don’t recall people arguing about whether polio existed or was a Chinese hoax…

The way I look at it as far as “urgency” goes is the same as investing. You don’t need to invest in your 20s, it’s not an emergency. Same for your 30s. Maybe getting a little on the urgent side after 40 or 50 though. At 60? well probably too late. oops. missed the “urgent” era. Too bad you didn’t start investing before it became an emergency, eh? Oh well, there’s always OAS, CPP and cat food.

As I said earlier my personal stance is that I don’t really care since at or near the 1% I’ll probably be fine, but I am against actively trying to persuade others not to care…frankly I think that’s very strange behavior.

#47 acdel on 10.14.19 at 8:33 pm

#44 Shawn Allen

That’s fine; you support it; but what does it do?? What difference does it make?? Are the proceeds going towards a so called sustainable future? If it does, please educate us. Are all the environmental groups actually investing in companies that make a difference. Only 9% of our plastic that we dump into our blue bins are recyclable the rest goes to our landfills or some corrupt third world countries that creates enormous burdens on their population.

All, I ask from all of you that support the hypocrites instead of donating money to their worthless causes invest in companies that are actually making a difference. That is the only way things will change.

It is not rocket science!!

#48 Sydneysider on 10.14.19 at 8:34 pm

#22 Re-Cowtown

I would keep quiet about being a U of A graduate. Between serious jobs, I once found myself teaching year 1 physics to U of A engineering students. What a rabble. In those days, 1 of every 3 was kicked out at the end of the year. Half of the class had not heard of the exponential function. Standards were wildly different from section to section, but we graded on a curve in order to disguise that.

#49 Keith on 10.14.19 at 8:35 pm

The desperation of the defenders of fossil fuels has to be read to be believed. Lets make a couple of points:

One, the pollution in China. China is a serious polluter, taking serious action. China is spending 200 billion per year on solar. In five years, that will be a trillion U.S. dollars, about half the Canadian GDP. That will make a big difference.

Britain’s fossil fuel electricity providers just got knocked out of first place, for the first time ever.

You can keep saying that renewable energy is a long way away, it’s expensive and peripheral. That would be ignoring the freight train that is about to run over the fossil fuel industry. Think exponential price curve, early adoption, economies of scale.

Look at the subsidies of fossil fuels, 5.2 trillion worldwide per year. Imagine shifting to renewable energy. Sadly, Canada is already far behind England, Germany and China. We will be left holding the bag.

#50 WUL on 10.14.19 at 8:41 pm

I get it that so many earth scientists in this comment section promote the notion that the science of climate change is fraudulent.

Just tell your insurance agent that as your premiums increase over the next many years. Also, phone the scientists at Shell, Exxon and Suncor.

That ought to do the trick.

#51 Sebee on 10.14.19 at 8:49 pm

Flop,

I’d take matters into my own hands and grease the tracks to quiet that SkyTrain screech. At least the section near my windows. Do it at 3am…obviously. I recommend 20w50.

#52 acdel on 10.14.19 at 8:52 pm

#49 Keith

No we wont; we are realistic; second largest; very cold country in the world with a population of around 37 million; your comparisons are like apples and oranges.

Plant a tree and invest in companies that are making a difference.

#53 NoName on 10.14.19 at 8:59 pm

@Keith

select a region that interest you and use the slider!!! funny thing they steel building coal power plants in europe…

#54 PastThePeak on 10.14.19 at 8:59 pm

#49 Keith on 10.14.19 at 8:35 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whoop-de-doo. Canada is a world leader in clean energy (although you would never know it in this bilge section…oR in Libera HQ…)

In Canada, over 81% of electricity generation is from “carbon free” sources (hydro, nuclear, wind, biomass/geothermal, solar).

As for that $5.2T subsidy claim…you will need to back that up…

#55 acdel on 10.14.19 at 9:01 pm

Ok, last post Garth, these greenies with their hypocritical views are just naive; I will ask all of them that invest in the markets on how much of their portfolios are actually invested in oil and gas, plastics etc, they may be surprised!

This article is a strong indicator as to why so many do not invest in alternatives.

#56 acdel on 10.14.19 at 9:08 pm

ok, absolutely the last one; could not resist with this story. Hey you carbon tax lovers; make a difference and get paid on top of it; you’re welcome!

#57 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 9:18 pm

#46 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 8:32 pm
#36 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 7:16 pm
#22 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 5:18 pm

I’m an engineer and am highly skeptical of any emotionally-charged ’emergency’.

**************************

——————————–

We might be on the same wavelength. By no means am I denying climate data or trying to refute legitimate peer-reviewed articles.

Now that we have data, we can come up with a plan to deal with it, and measure results. In other words, let’s do the same as we’ve done in the past.

There’s no need to take my money as tax to do this. Stop allowing plastic packaging- no cost, big impact. Require stringent vehicle emissions standards- minimal cost, big impact.

Giving a government carbon tax cash when they have no plan? The height of idiocy. If anyone does not need an unallocated pot of cash, it’s government.

As a related tangent, I sailed through the Great Pacific Plastic Patch a few years ago and was quite excited to see this documented behemoth. After a week and about 700 miles of sailing through this supposedly gigantic gyre, I had seen… nothing, really. Is it really there? From my experience, I can only say I saw no evidence. Is it only coincidence that the gyre’s location is a very remote and untravelled portion of ocean, well away from shipping lanes? It also can’t be detected by aerial imagery because the plastic is apparently all underwater. Would there be no surface plastic in the ocean’s greatest accumulator? Colour me a skeptic.

#58 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 9:26 pm

Google some photos of Pacific Gyre Plastic. In most of them you’ll be able to see land in the background. The actual gyre location is 600-800 miles offshore. For those non-sailors: you can see land from a maximum of around 40 miles. So, those photos? Bunk.

#59 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 9:27 pm

@#144 Bobby Vinny
““Blackface-Lavalin-India-ethics baggage”? I wonder what pleasure you could possibly derive from these simple-minded misrepresentations of reality….”

******

Please explain what “misrepresentations” of Trudeau occurred?
Blackface photos Check
SNC Lavalin legal woes Check
India dancing costume Check
Ethics(or lack of) Check

#60 Millennial Realist on 10.14.19 at 9:49 pm

Paleo Boomers become irrelevant in:

8 Days and Counting………..

#61 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 9:55 pm

#50 WUL on 10.14.19 at 8:41 pm

That ought to do the trick.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What does it take to change your mind on the evils of CO2?

I can tell you precisely what it would take to change my mind that CO2 is nothing more than a harmless trace gas. It’s quite simple really.

Show direct experimental evidence for a mechanism that CO2 closes the gap between IPCC “predictions” and actual temperature data.

Not a computer program, but real live experimental data.

So far all we’re getting is “adjustments” to historical temperature data to make them line up with pre-conceived notions.

That should scare the crap out of everyone.

Do you have something that would change your mind? I’ve outlined my acid test, what is yours?

#62 will on 10.14.19 at 10:29 pm

chicken stew for me. i’ll be eating it all week…

#63 will on 10.14.19 at 10:48 pm

#41 Flop

“Chip away at the edges, get plastic out of the food cycle, keep working on new technologies”

Either that or invest in the packaging industry. I made a killing on Richards Packaging. I like that.

#64 Bdwy on 10.14.19 at 10:52 pm

50 WUL on 10.14.19 at 8:41 pm

__________
There are many, many scientists at Exxon shell and suncor, they were my customers.

99% of them work tirelessly , day in and day out, to extract, process and ship as much fossil fuels as humanly possible, to be burned into co2 and water.

That is what they believe.

……..
arts grads scream the science is settled by the millions

Never heard an engineer say that once, not ever.

#65 Bdwy on 10.14.19 at 10:59 pm

More green ignorance and deception, raping the good name of science for those too lazy to read.
If you were centered in pacific garbage patch at its most dense the you would see nothing but water. The pieces are small and still widely distributed that there is NOTHING to see. All the pics are fake.
……
8 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 9:26 pm

#66 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 11:37 pm

#60 Millennial Realist on 10.14.19 at 9:49 pm
Paleo Boomers become irrelevant in:

8 Days and Counting………..
****************************
LoL! How do you even figure that? Every outcome that you are hoping for is just gonna kick you mills in the ass years from now.

Mills becoming even more screwed in

8 days and counting…..

#67 Keith on 10.15.19 at 12:21 am

@54 PastThePeak

It’s a widely reported number.

#68 AB Boxster on 10.15.19 at 12:33 am

Millennial Realist on 10.14.19 at 9:49 pm

Paleo Boomers become irrelevant…

__________________________
No worries.
In 5-10 years Mr socks debt fueled binge will explode.
And you Millennials will be the ones to pick up the bill.

It’s going to be epic to watch!

#69 Dr V on 10.15.19 at 12:57 am

48 Sydneysider

” In those days, 1 of every 3 was kicked out at the end of the year.”

Yeah that sounds about right, another few in second year and you were down to less than 60% of the original enrollment entering 3rd year. I don’t know of any who didn’t make it who should have based on their
merits.

Has this changed?

#70 Linda on 10.15.19 at 1:02 am

Great photo, though if the dog decides to change course there is no way the child can stop it:)

Today’s post is interesting because there are many children who work. Most don’t earn a lot, but some earn mega-bucks. I’ve read a few headlines where the parent/legal guardian of some young star did not act in the child’s best interests financially. Seems odd that there doesn’t seem to be a readily available & easy system in place to deal with income earned by children by now.

#71 maxx on 10.15.19 at 5:43 am

@ #22

“People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Screaming is not only ineffective, it is counter-productive and may very well have the opposite effect.

The payoff for becoming green has not yet been sold.

You can always get through to people but this is not it.

#72 maxx on 10.15.19 at 5:46 am

Quote attributed to Maya Angelou.

#73 Ace Goodheart on 10.15.19 at 6:50 am

Re: #60 Millennial Realist on 10.14.19 at 9:49 pm
Paleo Boomers become irrelevant in:

8 Days and Counting………..

The buy now, pay later generation is getting dangerously close to never being able to pay.

A country, faced with runaway debt and spending, has only two choices, historically speaking:

1. Print money

2. Raise taxes

Most countries try a combination of the two.

Printing money results in massive inflation.

Raising taxes kills the economy.

Both are usually necessary.

Once debt is under control, a third option will slowly reveal itself:

3. Stop all the reckless spending

This option is only available, well after the first two are exercised. If spending is stopped during a period of economic contraction caused by runaway inflation and high taxes, then you usually get a depression.

So you have to wait until the economy kicks back in, before you can actually stop all the runaway spending.

#74 Sail Away on 10.15.19 at 7:19 am

#12 Yukon Elvis on 10.14.19 at 3:39 pm

Where’s my bong?

——————————–

Same place you were using it before going upstairs. ;-)

#75 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.15.19 at 8:11 am

@Mewling Surrealist

Denial isnt just a river.
Keep spending yourself into oblivion, your kids can pay the taxes.
It’s worked for us…. :)

#76 Phylis on 10.15.19 at 8:11 am

Justinks wardrobe is going on sale, watch 22 min this evening.

Funny, the apostrophe is shift+k on this ipad. I think I will leave the typo.

#77 Dharma Bum on 10.15.19 at 8:54 am

“What would you recommend?” – Kate
——————————————————————–

How about the “Gary Coleman Trust Fund”?

Yah. Cute showbiz kid earns the cash. Pyscho showbiz kid mom spends the cash.

Hey mom, ever check out the stats on what becomes of children in showbiz?

Be careful what you wish for.

Now, time for a sweet bedtime story for little Star:

The accelerator theory of investment, in its simplest form, is based upon the nation that a particular amount of capital stock is necessary to produce a given output.
For example, a capital stock of Rs. 400 billion may be required to produce Rs. 100 billion of output. This implies a fixed relationship between the capital stock and output.
Thus, X = Kt /Yt
where x is the ratio of Kt, the economy’s capital stock in time period t, to Yt, its output in lime period t. The relationship may also be written as
Kt = xYt …(i)
If X is constant, the same relationship held in the previous period; hence
Kt-1 = xYt-1
By subtracting equation (ii) from equation (i), we obtain
Kt –Kt-1 = xYt.x Yt-1 = x(Yt-Yt-1) …(ii)
Since net investment equals the difference between the capital stock in time period t and the capital stock in time period t – 1, net investment equals x multiplied by the change in output from time period t – 1 to time period t.

Nighty night sweetie pie……

#78 PastThePeak on 10.15.19 at 10:02 am

#67 Keith on 10.15.19 at 12:21 am
@54 PastThePeak

It’s a widely reported number.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sigh…

The article references a report from the IMF. It is very explicit that the “subsidies” it calculates is dominated by including externalities – the costs that *should be* (according to IMF) included in the price of fossil fuels but are not.

These include costs for local air pollution and climate change, congestion, traffic accidents, etc. In other words – the vast majority of the “subsidies” you bleat on about are neither direct payments nor tax breaks. They are (gov’t bureaucrat) estimates of costs that using fossil fuels (and just plan vehicles, for Ch***t’s sake) may cause, and thus should be included.

So, in summary, NOT SUBSIDIES.

Keith, let me help you out with understanding what a subsidy is. When the former Liberal gov’t of Ontario gave a hard-cash refund of up to $14,000 to buy an expensive Tesla electric car – THAT IS A SUBSIDY.

…no wonder this country is in trouble…

#79 dennis on 10.15.19 at 10:24 am

Voting in this election brings on a feeling of not wanting to for me. But I will. Why? Well because it is my duty but knowing it is rigged by Big Business, Lobbyists, suppression of the Media, stupid questions, and issues. Every party wants to give away the store contents except Scheer and Bernier. We, in my belief have so many issues at present in Canada to deal with that need to be taken care of now, and then lets move on to more ambitious perks for our citizens. Example, bumping up CPP and Old Age… NOW. CPP enhancements is years away and for a selected group, Old Age bumped up at age 75 is so ridiculous by the Libs how can they say stuff like that with a straight face. First Nation issues that Trudeau loves to flant, but nothing happening. Military folks asked to give their lives, come home with mental/physical issues and told by Trudeau we have no money for them but yet he can give $10 million to a profitable grocery chain for new regrigerators. Disgusting. May/Singh want to squash the pipeline yet we have a moving pipeline with disasters waiting to happen. It’s called railed freight car tankers. Quebec sucking up huge transfer payments and refusing a pipeline. I could add so many other issues.

I have one more major issue and maybe someone could should some light on it to help me understand. I am having a problem with it. Trudeau and his sexual encounter with a 17 year old student girl. Thru here and on twittter, I found out about it. West Grey Academy when Trudeau had to leave abruptly and rightfully so. Buffalo Chronical just put out another article (their second) that Trudeau with his legal team are in contact with the young woman now to pay $2.2 million dollars with a non disclosure so that no more new information can be dispersed. I can not understand why Canadian Media is not allowed to address this. Are we in such a “rigged” system mirroring a dictatorship, is Trudeau giving media all that several hundred million dollar nest to Media so that he can control them? I am disgusted how us Canadian are censored and how a leader like Trudeau can even be allowed to govern. I would be scared for my daughter to work for him. Jody Ray Bould got fired because she was morally responsible to the Canadian people and refused to endorse corruption.

I have only 1 candidate in mind. Scheer. I believe but could be wrong, but he is a “baby” Harper. Harper at the end of his term was like a dictator suppressing and controlling all in his caucaus and beyond. Conservatives have a history of messing up in Alberta, federally in Canada, and now also here in Ontario. It’s damn scary to vote with absolutely no confidence. If a politicians mouth is moving, count on a lie. Wish I was wrong, but I doubt it.

There is no credible evidence Justin Trudeau was involved in a sexual assault. The information circulating on this topic is untrustworthy, unproven and likely fabricated. Vote on the issues. – Garth

#80 MF on 10.15.19 at 10:28 am

#68 AB Boxster on 10.15.19 at 12

Lol another genius who doesn’t know what a troll is.

Fell right into the trap.

Classy response AB. Here’s *4 thumbs up*

MF

#81 Sail Away on 10.15.19 at 11:21 am

Pacific gyre plastic density is estimated as 100 kg (220 lbs) of plastic per square km at the centre, reducing to 10 kg/sq km at the edges. At the densest, this equates to about 0.3 kg (0.67 lb) per football field of area. Visualize that. And this is the most concentrated plastic in the Pacific- basically one Little Pony in the middle of a football field, but shredded microscopically and also spread up and down through air and ground.

Another thing that can be hard to visualize is the immense vastness of an ocean. If you walked 25 km a day, it would take around 500 days to walk a direct line from BC to Japan.

Food for thought.

#82 Love Guru's Dad on 10.15.19 at 11:23 am

#49 Keith on 10.14.19 at 8:35 pm

————————–
Keith, First, calculate the amount of energy that it takes to manufacture all of the equipment to create a solar panel. Take the percentage of green energy vs fossil fuel energy in China to get a sense of how much oil and gas will be required to manufacture all those panels. We’ll give you a freebie on the green energy producing assets already in place that required oil and gas to manufacture and install. Then, all the oil and gas it takes to get them to location and install them. Not to mention the additional substation and transmission assets required to move the power where it can be used. Then add all the oil and gas it takes to maintain these green energy assets. Don’t forget to count for end of life for solar panels – replacement costs. Then tell me the payback – when green energy investment overtakes oil and gas for being greener. How many years?

#83 Where's Our Money Going Canada? on 10.15.19 at 11:41 am

Re: #34 Flop… on 10.13.19 at 5:59 pm
#28 Where’s The Money Going CANADA?

Hey G. I’m not sure if it’s tonight or not, but Global has been advertising a consumer matters piece upcoming for your old buddies at P.C Financial.

Something’s never change…

++++++++++++++++
Found the scam: https://globalnews.ca/news/6031580/b-c-couple-feels-stonewalled-by-pc-financial-over-suspected-fraudulent-charges/

I guess PC doesn’t want to deal with the problems their credit card causes and their customers to be pick-pocketed over and over.
Funny as soon as they get media exposure they capitulate, with even $175 in BONUS points. This payout is proof that they know they are in the wrong and are trying to look like they care for their customers. We know better becasue Galen Weston/Roblaws still owes CRA over $100 MM in taxes owed from the penalty imposed for fraudulently writing off taxes owed from their Glenhuron Bank in Barbados, since closed.

#84 Sail away on 10.15.19 at 11:56 am

#78 PastThePeak on 10.15.19 at 10:02 am
#67 Keith on 10.15.19 at 12:21 am
@54 PastThePeak

——————————-

Yep. When emotional hysteria creates value, it’s worth taking full advantage.

Eks, are you on here? Just as taking economic advantage of socialist-type programs doesn’t make one a socialist, taking economic advantage of emotionally-fueled climate action programs doesn’t make one a climate activist.

Opportunist, definitely.

#85 Renter's Revenge! on 10.15.19 at 12:12 pm

What about RRSPs?

My understanding is that there’s no minimum age for earning income, filing tax returns, getting RRSP contribution room and making contributions. If they don’t earn enough income to make taking the deductions worth it, the kids can always save them for later in life.

#86 Robert Ash on 10.15.19 at 12:12 pm

I have a Science Background, and Degree, Earth Sciences and Process Engineering were my vocation. I attended the University of Guelph in the 70’s and then then they labeled me a Scientist. Pollution comes in many forms, and for all my career, we as process folks, tried every option to reuse and improve our Processes for Cost efficiencies, and also Emissions, abatement. I am worried about the Converstation with Climate emergencies, since there is really no Emergency per se, but a real need to control Pollution at all levels, and starting with the Big problems, Cement Man., Refineries, etc…. But North American and Western European countries, are aggressively focused, on the reduction of all off gases… I am concerned when the converstation all seems, to come from Non Scientific people… In my mind clearly the major concern is Overpopulation… 88 Million new souls, per year… But even that problem is improving as more Women are impowered, and choose to have less children… So yes let’s improve recycle, and continously improve, but a General Tax on everything, is stupid. Finally the Future is Nuclear…. and all forms, of Energy are needed, Fossil Fuels, Renewables, Geothermal, Tidal, etc… We just have to improve the Processes… We couldn’t fly in 1902… Look how far we have progressed… Stop the Alarmism… and get on with continous improvement..If the CBC championed innovative scientific developments, at our Great Canadian Unis… that would be the best step… Media focus on a solution, not a regression… to the past.

#87 IHCTD9 on 10.15.19 at 12:30 pm

#51 Sebee on 10.14.19 at 8:49 pm
Flop,

____

I think 80W90 would be even better.

Lends a nice aroma to the general vicinity too…

#88 Sebee on 10.15.19 at 12:38 pm

#26 Flop… on 10.14.19 at 6:20 pm

>>>

Trudeau IS Vanilla, but he likes to be served with chocolate syrup, obviously.

#89 James on 10.15.19 at 12:45 pm

#79 dennis on 10.15.19 at 10:24 am

____________________________________________
Just returned home from a wonderful weekend at the cottage without I might add any political drama. We all enjoyed the Thanksgiving dinner with family and nary a word about the maelstrom that is about to occur next Monday. Although my daughter is still caught up about Greta and that she is coming back to talk to us again about being careless with the next generations future.
First I don’t trust Mr Socks, T2, Blackface guy or whatever moniker you wish to assign to him. Justin Trudeau lied to us not once but several times that we can document via proven collaborative evidence. This guy is unfit to serve as a Prime Minister and all he has done is to write numbers on blank cheques with our money to wasteful organizations and his political crony friends who run large corporations. If any business leader did today what he has done they would have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Back to Trudeau now. He lied, he lied and he lied. So how many times to you trust a liar? He is disingenuous and treats us like we are at his beckon call as plebes to follow his reckless path of spending. As far as the next political debacle Re: Buffalo Chronical Garth is correct until proven and collaborated we have to wait and see. The problem is he has a history of alleged groping and the blackface photos sort of stand for themselves. What variety of teacher surrounds himself with young girls to be photographed in such a manner? There is definitely a pattern here. As for the South East Asians, Middle Eastern peoples and Blacks giving him a hall pass for his indiscretions then I have to say what has this world come to? If this was Stephan Harper the liberals would be screaming for his head to roll. Just remember you deserve what you vote for. So don’t cry when T2 lies directly to your face and jacks us all up the derriere to pay for his naïve reveries.

#90 IHCTD9 on 10.15.19 at 1:37 pm

#49 Keith on 10.14.19 at 8:35 pm

____

That article says the UK’s wind, nuke and solar is ~45%. That’s their total zero carbon generation.

Not bad, but there is no freight train running over anything here. Ontario is over 90% zero carbon with decades old technology and infrastructure. You’d have to go back a long way before we had 45% zero carbon. In fact, we may never have been that bad.

So nothing new or outstanding has really taken place in the UK. They’re mainly just trying to get where others have been for decades already.

#91 Stan Brooks on 10.15.19 at 2:05 pm

Poor, stupidly poor sheeple in record debt:

In terms of housing, the situation in the city is unsustainable for many. House ownership costs have grown four times faster than income, while rental costs have grown twice as fast as income.

Torontonians pay more of their income on rent than most other Canadians, but the report points out that they also make about $4,507 less than their counterparts in other parts of the country. Most financial experts recommend spending no more than 30 per cent of household income on housing — 76 per cent of Toronto renters making under $50,000 a year in their household spent much more than that on a place to live. The city’s official count of homeless people in shelters has grown a staggering 69 per cent in just five years.

World class city indeed.

Cheers.

#92 Damifino on 10.15.19 at 2:06 pm

338Canada is currently showing the greatest likelihood that the Liberals and Conservatives will get about 135 seats each. If so, they’d each be 35 seats short of a majority.

My, my, what a wonderful mess that would be. Think of all the convoluted ways it might play out. 100 seats would be held by other parties.

Max will get his own seat if he’s lucky. The Greens? Who knows? Maybe five. Jody and Jane will probably hold onto their seats as independents.

That would leave 92 seats between the BQ and NDP. Imagine if they got an equal share of 46 each. Is it any less valid for the Conservatives to form a coalition with the BQ than it would be for the Liberals to do the same with the NDP? Why would it be?

The Governor General would be in a bit of quandary trying to sort all that out.

#93 Damifino on 10.15.19 at 2:10 pm

Oops! Make that 68 seats held by other parties with the possibility of the BQ and NDP getting maybe 30 each. That would be even more of a dog’s breakfast for the Gov Gen.

#94 conan on 10.15.19 at 2:17 pm

Bad enough that this version of the Conservatives is a badly disguised American political party . What’s worse is that they are from the Trump side of the American political equation.

Strategic vote them to oblivion or we will regret it forever.

Plug your nose and do what you have to do.

#95 Remembrancer on 10.15.19 at 2:45 pm

#92 Damifino on 10.15.19 at 2:06 pm

The Governor General would be in a bit of quandary trying to sort all that out.
—————————————————-
Not really – incumbent PM/Party gets first kick at the can…

#96 Dino Stapleton on 10.15.19 at 2:53 pm

I hope you like poverty because that is what you will get not at first but after a few years bag you don’t know what hit you.

Throughout history people just don’t get it, you get something for nothing and expect it to last. Once again people will learn the hard way.

#97 Not So New guy on 10.15.19 at 2:57 pm

So does the NDP rising in the polls (assuming we can trust them) mean they will take more seats from the liberals or that they will split the vote in the ridings?

#98 Not So New guy on 10.15.19 at 3:14 pm

#88 Sebee on 10.15.19 at 12:38 pm

#26 Flop… on 10.14.19 at 6:20 pm

>>>

Trudeau IS Vanilla, but he likes to be served with chocolate syrup, obviously.

==================================

With a few cherries on the side, no doubt

#99 crazyfox on 10.15.19 at 4:04 pm

#49 Keith on 10.14.19 at 8:35 pm
#52 acdel on 10.14.19 at 8:52 pm
#53 NoName on 10.14.19 at 8:59 pm
#54 PastThePeak on 10.14.19 at 8:59 pm
#55 acdel on 10.14.19 at 9:01 pm
#57 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 9:18 pm
#61 Re-Cowtown on 10.14.19 at 9:55 pm

If no one minds (well, even if they do) I’ll wade in. Apologies to those in conversation I’m sure to have missed. This article (link below) from an interview with Mark Carney is worth noting on what he has to say concerning Climate change. Say what we will about Mark in the context of a political bubble but one thing we can’t say is that he’s not financially connected:

What stood out to me is this: “Mr Carney told big corporations on Tuesday they had two years to agree rules for reporting climate risks before global regulators devised their own and made them compulsory.”

Now, the question I have for you all is, why 2 years? Why not 5 or 10 or next year, why 2 years? What’s the catalyst that forces the changes?

Try a changing climate. Try the Arctic ice cap free of ice in September of 2021 and a world wide lesson the the effects of latent heat in the Arctic ocean. Try karma. Look, its happening now, record low Arctic sea ice extent from latent heat slowing ice refreeze:

It’s not just the political parties and Canadians who aren’t ready for these changes coming with climate, its the entire world but make no mistake, some (not all) know what’s coming in the financial industry and if the changes are forced and abrupt like Mark describes, its a worst case scenario that he rightly describes as somewhat preventable. We need action on it now.

It’s not like there’s nothing we can do. How many times have we heard that argument btw, “we don’t emit much (Canada produces 4.9 million BOE’s per day in a world that consumes 100 million per day and there’s the rub) because there’s so few of us and look, other nations emissions are much higher so its not up to us”. When someone tells us we shouldn’t be responsible, then why should that individual or group be allowed to tell us what to do? Whosoever should just step aside for those willing to step up and take on the burden. Right?

Why have we become so divided with us/them politics on any issue especially concerning the environment that sustains us all. “When we no longer root for the salvation of our enemies, we are no longer in line with what the spirit wants.” (ref “The Righteous Gemstones” S01e09)

#100 acdel on 10.15.19 at 8:26 pm

#99 crazyfox

What do you think of this enterprise that if you wish; you could invest in?

Now, if we can only do something about these power producers that kill so many birds and bats. I get it; we want to make a difference but we are not there yet!