Seven days

Seven days before the federal election and more proof a week in politics is an eternity. For several reasons, a yawner vote in 2019 turned into a pivotal contest, rife with financial and economic consequences. Who knew?

Here’s the latest, according to the amalgam of polls the CBC tracks: the odds of the Tories wining a majority or minority is now 51%. Chances of a Lib win have dropped to 49%. Yes, this could change again, but there are some profound things happening.

The Liberals have crested. A resurgence by the separatists has the Bloc Quebecois chewing through T2 support in that province. In BC, the Greens are nibbling away at the Grits and the Jody factor is hurting. In the 905 and elsewhere the Dippers have moved ahead since Jagmeet surpassed low expectations in the sole English-language debate. And, as you know, Trudeau is dragging around all that Blackface-Lavalin-India-ethics baggage.

It would be shocking to have a majority Liberal or Conservative government defeated federally after a single term. But, this Turkey Time weekend, it appears that could happen. You can smell the PMO’s desperation as young Andrew Scheer is continuously and absurdly compared to bumbly Doug Ford, as the ghost of Harper is invoked and voters warned Tories would reopen debates on abortion or gay marriage. When you can’t inspire ‘em, then scare ‘em.

Economically, the country’s doing fine. The jobs numbers on Friday were huge. GDP’s okay. Canada’s avoided cutting interest rates thus far. So the macros should support sticking with the Libs.

The micros are something else. Household debt is epic. Borrowing is on the rise again. The savings rate has tanked. A string of surveys show most people are in precarious financial shape. House prices appear poised to swell once more. There may be a sense Mr. Socks has governed around the edges, spending more time on apologies, special interest groups and his rockstar image than the big stuff. The self-employed still remember the assault on small businesses last year. The carbon tax wiped away any benefit of the Libs’ middle-class tax reduction. And investors fear huge deficits will end up jacking taxes on capital gains, dividends or the 60% of us left paying all the income tax.

As my fancy portfolio manager buddy Ryan pointed out this weekend, governments that forever spend more than they collect are destructive. Today’s deficits are tomorrow’s taxes. Debt-servicing costs will erupt when rates click higher. Piddling away thirty billion a year on interest every year is criminal – more than we spend on child support or paying the wrinklies. Imagine when the Bank of Canada rate is just 3%, instead of 1.75%.

Of the four major federal parties likely to elect MPs or form government, three are embracing deficits with no realistic plan to balance the books. The Greens would tax every financial transaction, including trades for your TFSA, and still fall short. The NDP would raise billions from mythical rich people. The Libs would add another $90 billion in debt (best case scenario) over four years. The Cons admit red ink for a couple of years, then balance. (In fairness, Trudeau got elected in 2015 promising two years of ‘modest’ deficits, then delivered four years of fat ones.)

There’s more, too. The country needs pipelines built. Now. The lack of capacity has cost us tens of billions, depressed Canadian financial assets, hurt investors and cost jobs – not to mention a withering 30% commercial vacancy rate in Calgary. As for real estate, the Liberal shared-mortgage program is a mess and houses are less affordable now than they were in 2015. But the Cons’ plans to bring back long mortgages and gut the stress test are equally insane.

Truth be told, there may be no good option in this election. Fiscal conservatives voting for Max steal from Cons and help spendy Libs. Those opting for Greens are noble yet irrelevant. NDP supporters crave socialism. And the Bloc is a special interest anti-Canada party which, incredibly, might determine the next federal government.

How to vote?

Find the worthiest candidate in your riding and support him/her.

Got kids? Then don’t support the over-spenders or debt accumulators. They already blame you for the planet.

#1 Dave Tomasse on 10.13.19 at 2:54 pm

3%, imagine just what interest rates were at the turn of the century and millennium year 2000, 6%+.

Deficits and debt would double in just under 12 years or so. This is just the interest compounded not any new spending causing much more deficits, debt, interest payments. Yikes!

#2 Turkey Day on 10.13.19 at 3:03 pm

Enjoy a nice dinner and be kind to the relatives. Do not talk about politics or religion. On voting day think wisely, because there are only two horses in this race and one offers a new beginning, and the other more of the same sunny ways. We need a new majority government, or next year you might be eating Crow.

#3 crazyfox on 10.13.19 at 3:05 pm

Good advice on voting, Garth. At the end of the day, its about riding representation. Just voting for a leader or a color isn’t enough. weak candidates shouldn’t be elected just because of the brand. Having said that, look at how Canada votes regionally. It’s all about brand and media messaging and that’s how swamp creatures and candidates who didn’t graduate from high school get elected.

#4 Burn the Tar on 10.13.19 at 3:17 pm

The spineless Mr. Dressup propped up by les blocs – pas de pipeline , the wacko greens, and the commie dippers……

AB is burnt toast.

Greta needs to tour China, Saudi Barbaria and Russia…..

#5 conan on 10.13.19 at 3:17 pm

This final week its going to be interesting. I think the closeness of the polls will lead to a higher turn out. What happened in 2015 will happen again.

That is:

A large chunk of NDP and Green support ends up voting Liberal.

#6 Jeff on 10.13.19 at 3:21 pm

I’m voting for Maxime Bernier’s PPC. Much more right-wing for my liking and my riding will go 77% Conservative anyway.
Gotta get rid of Shiny Pony.

Garth, you knew Max…what did you think of him?

#7 Tbone on 10.13.19 at 3:27 pm

I voted on Friday .
Funny how they still use 1980 technology with the big books and cross
Your name out as you present yourself
A computer may speed things up

#8 BillyBob on 10.13.19 at 3:36 pm

#6 Tbone on 10.13.19 at 3:27 pm
I voted on Friday .
Funny how they still use 1980 technology with the big books and cross
Your name out as you present yourself
A computer may speed things up

==================================================

It would certainly make things easier for the Russians…

Sometimes a little analog in a digital world is worth a bit of extra time.

#9 Mike in Airdrie on 10.13.19 at 3:36 pm

Cast my vote today. Make sure you do too as not everyone on this rock in space has that privilege.

Garth you might want to fix the typo: ..and support him/him (her??).

#10 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper on 10.13.19 at 3:44 pm

One blog post points out that households and governments are overleveraged, with household debt service costs near all-time highs.

Another asks us to imagine interest rates 70% higher than today.

Square the circle for us, man! Explain what’s going to happen to cause B given A, without us tumbling into a recession that’ll bring rates right back down again.

#11 Smartalox on 10.13.19 at 3:49 pm

@TBone: it may look crude, but paper records are much more tamper and fraud resistant than computer-aided voting schemes. Elections Canada’s ability to detect fraud is better than the margin for error.

#12 PeterfromCalgary on 10.13.19 at 3:54 pm

The best thing Canada can do for its future is balance the books. That way we will have wiggle room to deal with whatever crap the world throws at us.

#13 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 3:54 pm

I WAS planning on voting for the Conservative candidate in my riding.
2 weeks ago 338 Polls
Showed Libs 34%, Cons 31%, NDP 15%
She was neck and neck with the Lib, but , as is Crowdie’s luck, the candidate in my riding had her homophobic, christian fundamentalist meltdown on tv and the Cons booted her 2 weeks ago.

So much for their dubious vetting process.

Today 338 shows Libs 31% , NDP 27%, Greens 16%
Svend is shooting up the charts like a Halloween rocketman.
Terry is going to be like a stranded whale………Beached.

Anywho, the incumbent Liberal Terry Beech will NOT be receiving my vote THIS election.

So ironically enough, my squandered “Con vote” will be going to the first openly gay MP in Canadian history…..
Yep.
“White Swan the Diamond’s GONE!” gets my “x” on the ballot this time around.

Ya cant make stuff like this up.

#14 Keith on 10.13.19 at 4:01 pm

Lucky to live in Vancouver Kingsway, with the hardest working MP in Canada representing us.

Don Davies is the Member of Parliament for Vancouver Kingsway. He was first elected in 2008, and re-elected in 2011 and 2015.

Don served in the last Parliament as the NDP Critic for Health. Prior to that, he served as Official Opposition Critic for International Trade, Citizenship and Immigration and Multiculturalism, and Public Safety and National Security.

Don has been a very active parliamentarian and hard-working local representative.

Don introduced more legislation in the House of Commons than any MP in the country. These include detailed plans for a national school nutrition program, free post-secondary tuition for students with special needs and a law to require floor-crossers to obtain the agreement of the voters who elected them.

Don’s office has helped over 20,000 Kingsway residents solve their federal issues, helping unite families, obtain EI, CPP and OAS benefits, and fix tax and Phoenix pay problems.

A strong believer in transparency and accountability, Don has held hundreds of public meetings to ensure that constituents’ voices are heard in Kingsway and on the national stage.

#15 yvrmc on 10.13.19 at 4:02 pm

Computers speed things up until they go down , or are hacked…. not so rosy then….

#16 crazyfox on 10.13.19 at 4:08 pm

The Cons admit red ink for a couple of years, then balance. (In fairness, Trudeau got elected in 2015 promising two years of ‘modest’ deficits, then delivered four years of fat ones.) – Garth

Anyone can say what they want. Bernier says he will get to balance in 2 years! With no costed plan. The Cons say they will get there in in 5 years. Where is the plan? I don’t see it. instead, this is what i see:

This is where I hoped to find a Conservative costed platform. Instead, I got piecemeal, incomplete platforms and platitudes here:

But finally! Page 95 at this link for how the Cons say they will get to balance:

The devil is in the details:

Infrastructure spending is cut by 5.2 and 6.7 billion in the 4th and 5th year. This isn’t what the Conservatives are saying on the side here:

… but rather, this is actual PBO costed numbers. infrastructure spending cuts are coming under a Con government according to the PBO.

Cuts to operating expenses of 3.9 and 5 billion by the 4th and 5th year. These are cuts to direct services. Harper couldn’t do it, why should we believe any different? If anything, these costs will go up.

Annual 1.5 billion cuts to corporate welfare. how do the Cons say they are going to do it? Platitudes and innuendo:

Annual 1.5 billion cuts to foreign aid. How are they going to do it? Platitudes an innuendo. Trump promised the same thing, its governing by Republican talking points and I’ll say it again. Foreign aid isn’t just for the bleeding hearts, its for access to foreign markets. A quick look at the world’s premiere mining stock exchange and commodities in general should tell us that reputation counts! That it works!! Anyone here saying it doesn’t work is a blind, rabid partisan that has no clue as to how this world works. They have CRA tax gap and analysis and enforcement, y’know, for tax dodgers saving us 3.5 and 3.4 billion in year 4 and 5. Flaherty promised the same thing. instead, what happened was 38% tax cuts to CRA, mostly through salaries and early retirements which took years because union contracts need to expire to make whats left of human resources run under private contracts. The spending that was promised to go after tax evaders went non existent. They say this… but they do that.

Political parties can promise the moon but until its run by the PMO, its just words. I look at these finally costed platform released with a week to go on their election and now its no small wonder why. I look at this costed platform and if anyone believes we will hit balance by a Conservative government with the proposed cuts, think again, its not going to happen. I see lots of new spending though…

Hey, if you don’t believe what I’m saying here, I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel. Listen to what Kevin Page has to say, a PBO guy:

#17 Happy Thanksgiving on 10.13.19 at 4:10 pm

TED Talk: Nick Hanauer “Rich people don’t create jobs”

#18 Where's The Money Going CANADA? on 10.13.19 at 4:21 pm

Conservatives just lost my vote and probably most in BC when Sheer stated that he will hire Kevin Falcon, one of the the main cogs in the most corrupt BC gov’t, the Liberal pay to play gang, in BC history to chop corporate subsidies.
Un-friggin’-believable, how stupid is this guy?
Isn’t BC where the Cons (and now I can rightly call them that) need votes.
How does hiring 2 corporate toadies show the voters that his gov’t is different than all the rest that do nothing but pick our pockets.
I hate Trudeau but I just might vote Liberal now and say goodbye to Canada as the Liberals will no doubt drive us into the ground so we end up slaves to the UN/Soros/World Bank. They are setting up the banking system for the move to get rid of cash, so they can track every penny spent, if you haven’t noticed.
I would vote NDP but these enviros will drive us into the ground also.
So what am I left with?
Woe is Canada with nothing left for the common man.
Welcome to 21st century slavery Canada!

#19 Doc on 10.13.19 at 4:25 pm

My local mp is a decent man who opposed his fancy sock “leader” on increasing taxes on business. He also responds when I write to him about my concerns. He did well supporting the local community but voting Liberal and giving any support to the disastrous Trudeau regime makes me fear for the future of the country I love. The conservative candidate is not impressive at all so I don’t want to vote for her but it looks like Scheer, while clearly not ideal, is at his core an honest man. Trump sized Trudeau up as “weak and dishonest” some time ago and while he is problematic in many ways he did hit the nail on the head there. I’m still undecided –does a person with character deserve my vote even if the party leader is awful. Should we hope the liberals will get rid of this inept youngster — they show no indication they will. Will Scheer become a real leader? Still wishy washy to me. Arrrgg!!

#20 Yukon Elvis on 10.13.19 at 4:35 pm

I invoked the family curse when I marked my ballot. I hope it will be enough.

#21 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 4:58 pm

@#19 Yukon Elvis
“I invoked the family curse when I marked my ballot. ”

+++++

Please share…. or is the family curse some peculiar Yukon verse like…

” May you upchuck… your MukTuk….”

#22 Flop... on 10.13.19 at 5:00 pm

Keith @13

//////////////////

Hey Keith, I live in the same riding.

I believe Don will win again by a large margin.

I have never voted for him but I do not find him to be an embarrassment.

I voted strategically NDP the last provincial election to get rid of a corrupt Liberal government.

I just attempted to do the same federally.

That said, why did you feel it was necessary to plagiarize to get your point across…

#23 anotherguyinVancouver on 10.13.19 at 5:03 pm

… him/him? huh? You don’t mean that, surely, please no.

#24 Keith on 10.13.19 at 5:14 pm

[email protected]

“That said, why did you feel it was necessary to plagiarize to get your point across.” Too lazy to make up my own words when the website does it so well. It was a comment on a pathetic blog, not a term paper.

#25 Stable Genius on 10.13.19 at 5:18 pm

It occurs to me just now that in my riding all of the candidates might be hiding. I have really heard hardly a peep from any of them not even any mailings I can recall. Strange.
You forgot to add the new jet we’re going to have to buy, Justin surely wore the challenger out in the last four years didn’t he?

#26 Flop... on 10.13.19 at 5:22 pm

Keith
[email protected]

/////////////////

You just someone you endorsed as hard working by being lazy and plagiarizing his own page.

You just did your candidate a disservice…

#busted

#27 Alessio on 10.13.19 at 5:25 pm

No quid pro quo

#28 Mike on 10.13.19 at 5:32 pm

#29 Where's The Money Going CANADA? on 10.13.19 at 5:41 pm

Here’s background info on former CEO of CN Rail from Cons website: Yves Desjardins-Siciliano is the former president and CEO of VIA Rail Canada.
Here’s the kicker!!!
“He negotiated and secured a historic investment of $1.5 billion by the Government of
Canada for a new fleet of trains for the Quebec-Windsor corridor.”
Now isn’t that corporate welfare????
Don’t let me get started on what I had experienced with Kevin Falcon and his “MOB”, the BC Lieberals, who were just Cons…..
Just look and see what is happening in BC with those creeps and their entitlements coming back to haunt them with the Legislature under RCMP investigation into theft, fraud: this one in particular (other than Crusty Clark)-https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/vaughn-palmer-entitled-reid-manages-to-turn-a-good-day-for-wilkinson-into-a-bad-one
I’m sick to what Canada has turned into, a literal 1st world cess-pool of graft and favours for insiders. Just take a look at BC Hydro, once the lowest rates in Canada, now close to the top with former BC Liberal insiders as CEOs of these Independent Power Projects making Hydro pays 10 times available rates for power.
Siciliano’s name would be a shoo-in for a movie on the mob: https://in-sights.ca/2019/08/27/open-for-business-at-any-price/

#30 Track Losers on 10.13.19 at 5:43 pm

There was a time that went nightly to the horse track for betting. Here is the card lineup for the last race on the card. Mad Max, May Day, Dancing Man, Sunny Ways, and New Beginnings. Based on the stats in the program its a two horse race between Sunny Ways, and New Beginnings. My ticket for $50 to place, and $10 to win goes on New Beginnings.

#31 Damifino on 10.13.19 at 5:44 pm

————————————-

In the case of the present Liberal nothing-burger, I would replace the word ‘shocking’ with ‘satisfying’.

Immensely.

#32 FreeBird on 10.13.19 at 5:46 pm

Voted yesterday. Only Liberals came to door (few weeks ago). Same last election. Talked for a while and answered our (pointed) comments. Seems a common theme the area. Not a deciding factor but did say something. Still like this quote…

“If voting made any difference, they wouldn’t let us do it.” -Mark Twain

#33 Flop... on 10.13.19 at 5:49 pm

Thanksgiving is still slightly foreign to me.

This year I am going to cook salmon smothered in Nutella.

I think I will call it salmonella…

#34 Flop... on 10.13.19 at 5:59 pm

#28 Where’s The Money Going CANADA?

Hey G. I’m not sure if it’s tonight or not, but Global has been advertising a consumer matters piece upcoming for your old buddies at P.C Financial.

Something’s never change…

#35 acdel on 10.13.19 at 6:00 pm

Dam, so conflicted! Last thing I wish for is another Lib government; hate to split the right; but this guy makes sense. I understand if you do not post this Garth; being neutral is the safe bet for your site!

#36 joblo on 10.13.19 at 6:07 pm

Scheer can not save confederation.
Kanata had its 150 years.
Too broke and divided.
Back to Canada East, Canada West and Ruperts Land.

#37 SimplyPut7 on 10.13.19 at 6:11 pm

Already voted, not dealing with the crowds of people next week.

#38 Damifino on 10.13.19 at 6:19 pm

#13 crowdedelevatorfartz

Yep, I’d say that’s a reasonable plan given the gnarly situation in your riding. I’d have done the same.

BTW, I voted yesterday in Vancouver Center. There was a fairly healthy stream of people coming through.

It’s pretty much a forgone conclusion Liberal Hedy Fry will win her ninth contest but I like to do my part to raise other numbers.

#39 Smoking Man on 10.13.19 at 6:22 pm

Happy Columbus day. :)

#40 Tony on 10.13.19 at 6:24 pm

The single most ignored economic indicator is foreign investment. It is gone. The level of capital flight is absurd. Money has feet and those feet are heading south.

#41 Grunt on 10.13.19 at 6:50 pm

If Trudeau loses he’ll be back at some later date just like his dad. I personally don’t mind the bloc because being a Brit of Irish descent I don’t mind smug canadianism being fugged around a bit.

I still believe the deficit will be tackled by future environmental levies on non-renewables. Can’t you see it coming with this climate emergency?

#42 BlogDog123 on 10.13.19 at 6:57 pm

Imagine this dystopian vision:

4 more excruciating years of Trudeau, propped up by Singh pulling the strings, now emboldened with the “mandate” to:

– Dither on Trans Mountain, piling more conditions like gender studies of extracted bitumen
– More costumes, photo ops, selfies, Vanity Fair articles
– Liberals and Dippers gleefully taxing productive people
– More of Justin’s past dredged up, unanswered rumours of why he left that school now revealed, yet he “gets and pass” and stays in office.
– Butts and McKenna saying “The environment and your taxes go hand in hand” as they fly polluting planes to Davos.
– Spend lavishly on non-productive people.
– Federal deficits go higher and higher.
– National productivity goes into the toilet. The nation gets poorer and investors “walk away”.

ahhh!!!!!

#43 When Will They Raise Rates? on 10.13.19 at 7:03 pm

We had a visit from the liberal candidate in our riding a couple of weeks ago… He said “can I count on your support?”… Wife looked down at his pamphlet that said “Team Trudeau” and she said “hell no” and proceeded to shut the door in his face. I was so proud of her.

#44 Linda on 10.13.19 at 7:06 pm

I actually thought about Mr. Scheer this week. He is the antithesis of Mr. Harper. The invisible man who, insofar as I can tell, doesn’t do more than occupy the leader position whereas Harper controlled every breath taken by his MP’s. Any scaremongering will simply raise his profile from invisible to possibly visible. Which might result in people voting for him. Crazy times when the opposing party does the work to raise your profile ahead of the vote:)

As for voting, it is a done deal. Got to love those advance polling stations. I also voted for the candidate/party I thought would be the least damaging. Seemed to be a steady stream of early voters. Will be interesting to know how many took the time to vote in advance.

#45 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 7:11 pm

@#33 Flop
“Each year I experiment wth different combinations to see if I can change the world of gastronomy.”
+++++
As fate would have it I was at a friends place last night for a huge feast.
To start veggie appetiser plate of dip, califlower, brussels sprouts, carrots, cherry tomatos, cheese and sliced pepperoni,
washed down with beer and more beer.
THEN the main feast, Cooked Brussels sprouts, creamed corn, Turkey, mashed potatos, meat loaf?( I scottish thing I think) more carrots, baked potatos, gallons of gravy, etc etc etc. washed down with more wine, beer etc.
When I rolled into the elevator at “Casa Fartzie” …
I was a gastronomical, gurgling, bloated, whale…..but, true to form, by the time I arrived at the penthouse suite, all was forgotten.

#46 When Will They Raise Rates? on 10.13.19 at 7:13 pm

#42 BlogDog123 on 10.13.19 at 6:57 pm
Imagine this dystopian vision:

– More costumes, photo ops, selfies, Vanity Fair articles
– Liberals and Dippers gleefully taxing productive people
– Spend lavishly on non-productive people.
– Federal deficits go higher and higher.

ahhh!!!!!
———————-

But he has nice hair and a famous last name!

#47 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 7:18 pm

@#38 Damfino
“It’s pretty much a forgone conclusion Liberal Hedy Fry will win her ninth contest but I like to do my part to raise other numbers….”
+++++

Geez and I thought my choices were bleak.
All my guy did was lift a diamond for his squeeze.

“The crosses are burning as I speak” Hedy (I may be exaggerating) Fry.
Doesnt say much for the other choices if Her Highness Dame Hedy has won 9 elections in a row…
That being said I have a friend who lives in her riding and he always votes for the other contender as well.

#48 Sam on 10.13.19 at 7:20 pm

Easy peasy , Trudeau is your winner .

Sorry fellas

#49 Shawn Allen on 10.13.19 at 7:28 pm

VIA Rail Corporate Welfare

#29 Where’s The Money Going CANADA? on 10.13.19 at 5:41 pm complained:

Here’s the kicker!!!
Canada for a new fleet of trains for the Quebec-Windsor corridor.”
Now isn’t that corporate welfare????

*********************
Well, no it isn’t. CN Rail has not owned VIA since at least the time that CN privatized in 1995. (By the way a fabulous investment almost continuously since then.)

VIA rail is owned 100% by the government so no corporate welfare there.

An understandable mistake since yes, VIA was birthed out of CN Rail at some point.

#50 John in Mtl on 10.13.19 at 7:43 pm

I beg to differ, Garth; the Bloc Quebecois is NOT a separatist faction! They represent Quebec’s interests at the federal level, and that is it. Period. Point final.

Thank you.

#51 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 7:49 pm

Well , well, well.

As Garth said, “A week is an eternity in politics”.

For the first time ….. 338 is predicting an NDP win in my riding.

Less than 2 weeks after the potential winning conservative candidate was booted by the Cons.
Svend “rocketman” Robinson has just pulled ahead.

He was sitting at 15% 2 weeks ago …….

Mewling Surrealist may want to revamp the “countdown’ for paleo Boomers…..

#52 TurnerNation on 10.13.19 at 7:52 pm

Kanada will no be getting pipelines. In fact the UN’s little lightening rod (falling from heaven) is visiting Alberta to spearhead the march.

To be shut down: AB oil sands, pipelines; GM in Oshawa.
Already gutted: Logging, fisheries

The message from the leader is clear. Borrow for our bankers; our masters.

Bootlickers like Shawn on here love paying taxes. Look around, for what?
Witness your crumbling roads; your new (tolled) bridges; that newspapers report that roads cost 30% more per KM in Quebec, due to graft.

Military? Where are they now. Newspapers admit the port of Vancouver is run by organized gangs. Our Navy has been told to stand down. How about our borders, the one people walk across? So tell me again this vaulted military we pay for?

Hospitals? Every hospital is begging yearly for operating funds – via Charity. See those named wings? Those are private funds.

Get to know and like our next UN-appointed leader. And pray for those in California being driven off their lands by purposeful fires and power shut downs.
To be herded into cities; our fate too.
As this weblog points out property rights are not enshrined.

#53 Sail Away on 10.13.19 at 7:54 pm

I see Greta Thunberg will be visiting Alberta. That’s a long walk from her current visit to Wyoming, so may take a while.

#54 acdel on 10.13.19 at 8:02 pm

#50 John in Mtl

Good point! As a Westerner; I ask of you as a Quebecer; perhaps Canadian; are you not embarrassed by accepting transfer payments from hard working Canadians while your Province is doing well? How much is enough? You know dam well that the Province of Alberta has paid (many times over) what Quebec ever offered us. It is ok to stand on your own two feet and make something of yourselves and leave us Westerners alone. Times are changing!

Oh by the way, please vote for the Bloc, one less vote for your guardian son T2; thank you, love Alberta!

#55 NoName on 10.13.19 at 8:18 pm

this malasian dude is my new hero !!!

#56 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 8:20 pm

@#50 Montreal John
“They represent Quebec’s interests at the federal level, and that is it. Period. Point final….”
++++++

You might want to let the Bloc know that…

“They are devoted to Quebec nationalism….”
Period.

Nice try though.

#57 Nonplused on 10.13.19 at 8:26 pm

“If voting for a leader and party, pick the one that’s best for Canada, not just you.”

Is there a difference?

The whole idea of democracy and capitalism (free markets) and why it works is that by each of us acting in our own best interest, we arrive as close as we can to the best interests of the group. (Assuming agreed upon laws also in everyone’s best interest.)

Also, it’s pretty presumptuous to assume you know what’s best for other people. That’s what socialists do. And greens do. Most of the people voting for socialism can’t even clean up their bedroom, but they know what’s best for you. Don’t you be letting them tell you how to live.

Economies and political systems develop hand in hand. What happens to one influences the other. There are two basic ways in which they develop. One is a sort of “survival of the fittest” where things come and go based on their utility. The other is at the direction of central planners with guns. So far it seems like the former is much more successful, because nobody can really sit behind a desk in Ottawa and decide what sorts of houses should be built in Yellowknife, let alone manage a whole economy. We just aren’t that smart. Nobody is. But we are arrogant enough to think we can. Death and destruction follows. Always.

Ever wonder why every city in Western Europe and most of the US and Canada looks so different but yet seems beautiful? Local planning. Yet if you go to the former Soviet Union all the buildings look the same and ugly. Central planning.

Or look at innovation and scientific discovery over the last 400 years. The vast majority of the knowledge and technology we have was developed in “free” societies with property and intellectual rights. Socialist countries are pretty good at copying stuff but they seldom invent it. Governments are only good at 2 things, building weapons of war and getting in the way of progress.

Socialists generally fall symptom to the “nirvana fallacy”. They criticize all the problems created by capitalism (and there are plenty) by comparing it to a hypothetical state of affairs that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world. Then when confronted by the results of true socialist experiments as conducted by Stalin, Mao, Hitler (the 3 biggest mass murderers in history in order, yes Hitler was only number 3), or say Cuba or Venezuela, cognitive dissidence sets in and they declare that those examples are not true socialism, and you should look at Sweden. Except that Sweden is not a socialist country. It never was. Despite the fact that they have had a lot of creeping socialism in Sweden as we have had in Canada, it still ranks 29th on the world economic freedom list. It is not a socialist country. You can own your house, your car, your boat if you want, your business, whatever. You are free to chose your own education or none, your own job or none, etc. It is a free country. It just has high tax rates, and it is a provable matter of fact that as the taxes went higher growth slowed.

Socialism cannot work, because as Margret Thatcher pointed out many years ago, “sooner or later you run out of other people’s money”. If you do something so stupid as to institute a “Universal Basic Income”, which is actually all you have to do to implement full socialism, half the population will simply stop working. That’s where the real problems begin. If there is no incentive to work, the natural instinct is to not work. Monkeys don’t climb around looking for fruit if they are already full. They sleep. And socialists do not go out looking for work, they vote for larger government benefits. But it can’t work in the long run, because labor is the source of all wealth. Even if you have a garden in the back yard, it takes some tending. But socialists would rather just raid their neighbor’s garden at night. They are nothing but garden raiders. Thieves. And when they get control of the government, they are thieves with guns.

#58 Le Bloc manifesto on 10.13.19 at 8:31 pm

Bloc Québécois ⚜️ (@BlocQuebecois) · Twitter

“Why not propose an equalization system that sends money towards green provinces and makes polluting provinces pay more?”

Merci.

#59 not so liquid in calgary on 10.13.19 at 8:35 pm

Batten down the hatches… Greta is coming to Alberta!

#60 AACI Homedog on 10.13.19 at 8:37 pm

I would like to know what Mr. Singh thought of Trudeau dressed in local garb on his visit to India. Any guesses ?

#61 Bonjour-Hi on 10.13.19 at 8:39 pm

Québec solidaire

⚡En 2030, toutes les nouvelles voitures vendues au Québec devraient être électriques ou hybrides⚡

RT et ajoutez votre nom si vous êtes d’accord: http://bit.ly/voitures2030

Pas de pipelines!

#62 You Decide on 10.13.19 at 8:48 pm

#63 binky barnes on 10.13.19 at 8:49 pm

There is absolutely no excuse for not voting given four days of early voting (at 12 hours a crack no less), on top of the big day itself.

My Ontario riding will likely go the way of the Liberal incumbent, but I went with the Con. Just cannot give a vote to JT, just cannot. His hubris and ineptitude are a combination like this country has never seen before.

#64 Joseph R. on 10.13.19 at 8:50 pm

#58.

Fair. Bombardier makes internal combustion and turbojet engines.

Will they take that into account?

#65 Shawn Allen on 10.13.19 at 9:00 pm

Labour Force Survey Accuracy exxt.

Dolce Vita yesterday complained:

Which is UTTER HOGWASH when yesterday’s September Canadian Job Numbers (Labour Force Survey) were:

Seasonally Adjusted = +53,700, jobs created
Unadjusted (raw) = -69,100, jobs lost

Why I would like to know what the heck ARIMA does and how is “churns” -69.1 into +53.7?

That is a difference of 122,800.

***************************************
So let’s say that seasonally September typically sees a loss of 122,800 as students return to school from summer jobs and as ice cream stands and bikini shops lay off staff.

If we only lost 69,100 jobs this September versus August then it seems 53,700 new jobs must have been created.

It’s the trend that matters to most people. According to Stats Can’s best but complicated and I guess opaque estimates after adjusting for normal seasonal variations, about 53,700 jobs were created over and above where we would have been just based on the season and no growth. But it is very much just a statistical estimate. It is volatile month to month. But the trend has mostly been strong.

I have never heard any credible source (such as the opposition) even claim political interference in these reports. As a former federal Minister of the crown Garth would have knowledge to whether ministers interfere in such reports.

#66 Nonplused on 10.13.19 at 9:13 pm

#59 not so liquid in calgary

“Batten down the hatches… Greta is coming to Alberta!”

They never should have put this uniformed child up to this. But my guess is it will be a non-event. A bunch of crazy dancing people will show up to support her and maybe some Antifa types looking for a fight, but I think for the most part rational people will respect her mental insanity and utter lack of any knowledge about how energy works and stay away.

I’m certainly not going to go down and protest or converse with her. My kid has a “20 questions” toy and I am sure it is smarter.

The grave mistake we could make here is summarized by the old proverb: “Never argue with an idiot. People might not able able to tell you apart.”

Chris Martenson put a good post up on his site about what we really face:

To summarize his findings, we need to build 3 nuclear reactors a day or the wind and solar equivalents to bring CO2 emissions to zero buy 2050! And that is if energy demand does not rise, which means the economy cannot grow.

Maybe the world is doomed. I personally don’t believe so, I think we run out of economic fossil fuels first. But if we are, it seems that there is little to be done about it besides building as many nuclear reactors as we can. Which China is doing but we are not. Maybe there are some benefits to central planning. Oh wait, our central planners stopped that business because 3 Mile Island partially melted down and killed nobody.

And I’d just like to ask, what do we really care about a world that reverts back to the middle ages as our future? Does anyone want to live there? “After me, the deluge” as the French say.

#67 will on 10.13.19 at 9:17 pm

#49 Shawn Allen

“Also by they way, travel by VIA rail with sleeper accommodation is a nice way to travel. A rolling Hotel. Especially with the older style cars in Western Canada. I have only made the one trip that way which was Edmonton to Halifax in 2003 and it was great.”

Yup. 100% agree. My preferred method of travel. Only fly if there is no other option. i did two viarail trips this year. out to Prince Rupert (the Rupert Rocket) and round trip to ontario recently

#68 Calgary Retiree on 10.13.19 at 9:20 pm

“Here’s the latest, according to the amalgam of polls the CBC tracks: the odds of the Tories winning a majority or minority is now 51%. Chances of a Lib win have dropped to 49%.”

————————————————–

Not what the latest CBC poll says. The problem with the Con’s is that none of the other parties will want to form a coalition with them.

The poll tracker report was accurate to the time of posting. It changes. Like I said, a short time is an eternity in politics. – Garth

#69 John in Mtl on 10.13.19 at 9:36 pm

@ #56 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 8:20 pm

Sorry to stink up your elevator, nationalism is not separatism.

#70 Drill Baby Drill on 10.13.19 at 9:45 pm

Vous etes vraiment fou.

#71 John in Mtl on 10.13.19 at 9:56 pm

@ #54 acdel on 10.13.19 at 8:02 pm

I’m not a T2 fan, wasn’t a T1 fan either.

And I’m not here to start an East vs West war.

“The equalization envelope is drawn from federal, not provincial tax revenues. It is money Ottawa has collected from across the country — including Quebec taxpayers. And provinces receive money under the program when their fiscal capacity, a measure of their potential revenue base, drops below the national average.

In other words, it is money handed out by the federal government to ensure provinces with smaller economies are able to offer the same level of services as those with access to more tax revenues. It is up to the provinces, though, to decide how much they want to tax that revenue base.

‘Quebec is often accused of stealing the money of Albertan taxpayers. But that’s not how the program works,’ Daniel Béland​, a fiscal policy expert at the University of Saskatchewan, told Radio-Canada this week. Quebec’s higher tax rate, by and large, funds its more general social programs — an option politicians in Alberta and Saskatchewan have refused to entertain. Those are political choices that have nothing to do with equalization.”

#72 Randy on 10.13.19 at 10:06 pm

If the Liberals were serious about winning in 2019 they would have installed the George Soros voting machines with no audit capabilities. It’s the Liberal way.

#73 BlackDog on 10.13.19 at 10:21 pm

Re: #66

Thanks Garth.

#74 akashic records on 10.13.19 at 10:21 pm

She is so cute. Pop-star for pop psychologists.

#75 Neverendum 3.0 on 10.13.19 at 10:24 pm

#69 John in Mtl on 10.13.19 at 9:36 pm

@ #56 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.19 at 8:20 pm

Sorry to stink up your elevator, nationalism is not separatism.

Correct…. it’s worse….. .just leave already so we can get back our $15B a year ransom money

#76 BlackDog on 10.13.19 at 10:34 pm

I just don’t get it. Or maybe I just don’t want to get it. We are all going to die, but the science is settled. Face it dudes, human beings have f’d up the planet. Just admit it. Why is that so hard? Admit that you do not care. Nature doesn’t care either. Laugh all you want, make jokes, reality is that you are the lowest of the low and that is why we are all f’d. Happy Thanksgiving!

#77 BlackDog on 10.13.19 at 10:42 pm

@#66 Do you have children? Grandchildren? People younger than you that you care about? Humanity that survives after you are no longer here? Or is it all just about you?

#78 BlackDog on 10.13.19 at 10:45 pm

I’m sorry. But I don’t get the point of not caring about this amazing beautiful planet we are so blessed to live on. We deserve everything that is coming our way.

#79 akashic records on 10.13.19 at 10:48 pm

“The country needs pipelines built. Now. The lack of capacity has cost us tens of billions, depressed Canadian financial assets, hurt investors and cost jobs – not to mention a withering 30% commercial vacancy rate in Calgary.” – Garth

“People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!” – Greta Thunberg

#80 Where’s The Money Going CANADA? on 10.13.19 at 10:55 pm

Re:#34 Flop… on 10.13.19 at 5:59 pm
#28 Where’s The Money Going CANADA?

Something’s never change…

+++++++++++++++++++++
So what scandal/scam has Galen Weston, CEO, been caught doing?
Anything to do with NOT paying back the almost $400 MM he owes us taxpayers. Oh yeah, he seemed to have $225 MM in cash to pay that down partially. Was that money the bread fixing coin or the almost $500 MM he originally owed us, hiding in his Barbados bank, with only he as the customer?
Will Sheer get that $12 million back that Galen got from Trudy for “environmental” freezers. PC only made $800 MM last year take home.

#81 BlackDog on 10.13.19 at 11:01 pm

@NonPlussed…. you Suck!

#82 Two-thirds on 10.13.19 at 11:08 pm

Alert: possible tin-foil hat comment.

Is it possible that polls favouring the Cons can actually work against them?

If people think the Tories are in the lead, the urgency of supporters to vote could relax, while the urgency of opposers would increase, leading to decreased votes for them overall.

Same with posts suggesting the NDP is surging: this could actually hurt them as the sense of urgency from Liberals to get more votes goes up, while NDP supporters may think they have it in the bag and end up losing support.

Is this plausible? Those pundits who paint the CBC as Lib-friendly could easily make such points, but is there any veracity to it?

#83 crazyfox on 10.13.19 at 11:14 pm

#68 Calgary Retiree on 10.13.19 at 9:20 pm

Nanos polls are the one to watch. They are conducted by human calling, not internet or computer calls and what the numbers are saying is the NDP is getting a bump. Too much of a bump and it’ll split the vote and we’ll see the Cons win the most seats.

The NDP has said they won’t support a Conservative government so it could still be a Liberal/NDP government coalition but its difficult to see how long that would last if it forms at all and they might not agree on much so the Cons could form a government anyway and since they won’t get far, the Cons will pick a hill to die on and we go back to the polls within a year.

But a week is a long, long time at this stage of the game so who knows. NDP could surge until voters take a closer look. So, lets look:

The NDP’s platform is here (PBO costed, i don’t know, don’t think so):

The NDP is going to spend 5 billion in the first year on housing. How exactly?

By bumping up CMHC regs to 30 year loans with nothing down, same as the Cons for one. Apparently, Scheer and Jagmeet have something in common after all, 30 year nothing down regs that Garth has called, “insane” because it is!

This blog just spent a decade correctly criticizing the regulatory changes by the Harper government that led to Canada’s housing bubble and now, with interest rates at near rock bottom, the Cons and NDP want to juice the market again through loose regs. A wealth of experience tells us that longer CMHC approved mortgage amortizations with zero down will lead to an explosion in housing prices, (a real estate bubble) more debt and more systemic risk. This won’t make houses more affordable, it will make them even more un-affordable and put the entire financial industry at further risk because, in case no one has picked up on it yet, its still at risk now. We are still in a bubble whether Canadians want to admit it or not and now the NDP, like the Cons want to inflate it further?

INSANE

There’s no other way to put this policy and I don’t give a rats ass how in love people are with their politics, if we revisit 30 year zero down mortgages with banks lending below 3%, we will see a dangerous housing bubble guaranteed and it won’t end well.

The rest of the NDP’s laundry list of new spending totals $31 billion (as I remember it) with 11 billion coming from pharmacare. Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea but it’s expensive and if we can’t successfully regulate the food manufacturing industry and get Canadians on the whole healthy again (diabetes is epidemic, obesity is over 40% and digestive cancers are through the roof, I dare someone to tell me this isn’t so), a federal government won’t be able to afford this among other things and I don’t see one political party suggesting this needs to be done. No, not one.

What does this mean? They all need help, every party. Probably my own help and that’s fine with me, if there’s one hill I’m ready to die on, this is it but what party will listen? It won’t be the Cons, they are too beholden to the U.S. and their corporate masters, too aligned with the Republicans, too lost quite frankly, to regulate U.S. food manufacturing imports (and the negative international precedent that will send). The Greens? Not ready to govern and NDP, we see it here too. $31 billion in new spending and specialty tax increases to pay for it! It’s all on page 7 and the numbers aren’t all realistic. How do you offset that, with a real estate bubble? It still won’t end well! It’s still INSANE!!

Listen… if we want more affordable housing, we lower amortizations and increase down payments. Current homeowners won’t like it, but that’s how it’s done and that’s how we take systemic risk out of the market but it won’t be what’s best for all Canadians by a long shot. We tighten credit and housing values will go down with affordability going up but it comes at a cost. It’s either that or raise income which takes time, its a turtle’s race driven by higher productivity OR and its the best choice, we drive down direct costs being the cost of healthcare and sickness increasing productivity through regulating the food manufacturing industry like I said. The best way forward to a productive nation is a healthy one.

The best way forward is through healthy Canadians! It’ll lower our government’s #1 cost, the cost of healthcare and get us back to balance without all the pain and broken promises. We lower healthcare costs, and we have more money for all the things we want and need.. and don’t see coming like recessions. War. Climate change. If anyone thinks costs won’t accelerate as climate change does, think again and its coming far sooner than most realize. We are simply not ready for this as a people and when I look at the parties… none of them are, including the Greens.

#84 Chico on 10.13.19 at 11:43 pm

————————————————————-

It was interesting to hear Max mention the French language debate he was in on Thursday. He said that the government was spending our money with all these freebies, but he needed to correct himself..the government was spending “our children’s money.”
My 22 year old was beside me and I knew where Max was going with his thought and I pointed to my son as he was finishing his thought.

We’re selling out our own children!

#85 crazyfox on 10.14.19 at 12:04 am

#66 Nonplused on 10.13.19 at 9:13 pm

Fear among other things. Ignorance and self worship come quick to my mind. She’s 16 years old. But, there is no persuading one who believes what they want to believe. Of course wind and solar can scale especially with existing hydro to supply North America’s needs. There are some hiccups with storage but this isn’t the issue either.

This Republican lookalike puts action towards climate change best at the 5 minute mark: (please indulge)

#86 Blutterfy on 10.14.19 at 12:05 am

I can assure you that here in Edmonton the pipeline is already started. We have clients in the oil and gas industry who got contracts for building and the project is moving forward out of the public eye. There is less jobs in Alberta but with my ear to the ground I hear that’s mostly from the (depressed) oil economy layoffs (which numbers far exceed those being hired for the pipeline).

#87 Dr V on 10.14.19 at 12:12 am

57 Nonplused

“If you do something so stupid as to institute
a “Universal Basic Income”, which is actually all you
have to do to implement full socialism, half the
population will simply stop working.”

But isn’t this about where we are now with existing social programs?

If it’s “universal” both you and I will get it too. Will I
stop working? Don’t see how I could do that. Even people working part-time could still choose to work as they would still get paid. Yes, taxes would go up considerably, but if UBI is set at a reasonable level,
everyone with an average full-time job would still be better off working.

It’s a thought-provoking concept.

#88 Dr V on 10.14.19 at 12:21 am

No, I fear those who choose a child to be their face and voice, knowing we cannot criticize her without being labelled. It’s marketing at it’s best, even brilliant, or at the very least, it is what I would do if I had an agenda (good or not so good)

#89 Smoking Man on 10.14.19 at 12:55 am

Road trip America

Canadians are doomed. Globalist are like loving you loyalty kiss the ring fools.

#90 Dolce Vita on 10.14.19 at 12:58 am

“Economically, the country’s doing fine. The jobs numbers on Friday were huge. GDP’s okay.”

Yes, the job numbers were hugely negative unless, you put your faith in a stats method you cannot explain nor understand yourself. Hardly comforting to read.

GDP was -0.1% in July and that’s OK?

If all what you say was true 75% of job seekers at a BNN Bloomberg pole would not disagree with you.

If GDP’s okay and Job numbers were hugely +, then it follows your business ought to be growing leaps and bounds, at the very least, well above your average.

Is it?

Simple question…

#91 Smoking Man on 10.14.19 at 1:07 am

Smokers

#92 David Martin on 10.14.19 at 1:41 am

Aptly put. Small business owners have long memories. If I could personally string Trudeau and his spoon fed trust fund baby side Morneau, oops wait a minute they both are spoon fed indignant trust fund babies. Up by the balls I would. Sheer won the debate and will subsequently win my vote.

#93 Rargary on 10.14.19 at 1:43 am

Just vote!!

#94 45north on 10.14.19 at 2:29 am

Nonplused: Most people voting for socialism can’t even clean up their bedroom

pretty funny

#95 Another Deckchair on 10.14.19 at 7:20 am

The thing is, tackling climate change has three camps:

1) Those who say “who cares – not me”

2) Those who are trying to push for small changes (think governments)

3) Those who can do the calculations.

It’s the 3rd camp that contains the engineers, etc, who know how things materially work.

If I can paraphrase group 3, we’ll have to forego individual cars (bikes and feet are ok), our houses (well, split it into 20 units) our cell phones, flying, our crank up the heat when it’s cold… you get the idea.

Energy usage is built into our lifestyle, the world over. Lots of that energy comes from greenhouse gas producing stuff, no matter how “green” one thinks it is.

How does ANY government sell this to the public???

I have no idea.

#96 MF on 10.14.19 at 8:08 am

My vote was never in doubt.

I’m not miserable, or frusrated. It’s not a throwaway vote. Or a vote for some radical.

I don’t believe in huge government, but I also don’t believe in no government either.

I believe that pipeline needs to be built asap, and Alberta rising is important.

I’ll vote for the only party with a realistic view of reigning in on spending, and who supports businesses of all sizes. A party that ensures we remain competitive.

Again, my vote was never in doubt, and I suspect I’ll contribute to forming the next government.

MF

#97 earthboundmisfit on 10.14.19 at 8:15 am

Sunny daze, indeed. A lying, narcissistic, dilettante.

#98 Kiesha Francin on 10.14.19 at 8:44 am

BlackDog, I don’t get how Liberals, NDP and other lefties, socialists don’t care about having a warm place, fed and money for the future and not be controlled to what to eat and how much, how much money we should be allowed to make, keep and being a nanny state.

The day the world gets destroyed from global warming, climate change, you guys keep changing the name is the day there will be no more taxes, inflation and corruption, thieves in our society, world. It will never happen.

I thought acid rain was supposed to destroy us by now or an ice age. This is such boldface lies.

#99 Simpleton on 10.14.19 at 9:01 am

I am a mid 30s simple man who rents a small apartment in Waterloo, owns no property other than a 12 year old car that I love dearly and I share my apartment with a 6-month old Labrador retriever.

As a simple man, I have $450k I’m various investments, $70k in cash (just in case).

Why did #justin attack me by lowering the TFSA limit, and how long before he gets rid of TFSAs altogether?

– Simple in Waterloo

#100 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 9:50 am

#76 BlackDog on 10.13.19 at 10:34 pm

——————————

Blackdog, you seem like a very happy person looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!

Happy Thanksgiving!

#101 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper on 10.14.19 at 9:56 am

“I fear those who choose a child to be their face and voice, knowing we cannot criticize her without being labelled.”

Maybe if people spent more effort criticizing (or analyzing) her ARGUMENTS instead of criticizing HER?

When Al Gore was doing this advocacy, he was criticized for the number of houses he owned and his penchant for jet transport, because arguing the ideas was, I suppose, inconvenient. This is called an Ad Hominem attack, and even the ancient Greeks realized that it was lame, appealing to the plebs who couldn’t separate logic from emotion.

So Greta sails the Atlantic and is duly attacked for her facial expressions and her youth, called brainwashed and worse by people who can’t or won’t refute her ideas.

It’s either smart but underhanded rhetoric aimed at the plebs, or it’s Greta Derangement Syndrome. For most people, either crewing on an IMOCA 60 Atlantic crossing OR addressing the UN General Assembly would be a crowning achievement. She’s done both before 20, merely as means to a higher end, and the plebs throw brickbats, denying her any agency, against all evidence.

#102 Kathy Foster on 10.14.19 at 10:10 am

Simpleton, Justin Trudeau, Bill Morneau Canada Liberals have bigger fish to fry. You have to understand that TFSA’s are only been around 10 years or so there is not much money with gains, profit and interest rates are low today too.

What I mean is, Adam Vaughan Toronto socialist Liberal with his best buddies in Ottawa mentioned above are looking at house equity, capital gains for primary residences. Yes, now you know why they love much higher real estate prices.

Why go after $70,000 or $100,000 TFSA today when you can get real taxation, confiscation of property which it really is because it really is for most Canadians that have there house for 10, 20, 30, 40 years now. It is better for Canada Liberals, Trudeau, Morneau to go after $300,000 or $500,000 capital gains costing $100,000 to $200,000 in capital gains taxes. Yes, this is one of the biggest tax grabs and property confiscation in Canadian history.

What makes it much worse is most Canadians don’t have $100,000 or $200,000 sitting in an account to pay the taxman. This means most Canadians will have to sell the house to raise this money to pay the taxman.

Alot of seniors now getting reverse mortgages, lines of credit, mortgages with this new capital gains tax will mean the house they paid for many decades will be taken away without them even knowing it because of this new capital gains tax. Seniors and others are already under attack from many sides from fast, higher, fast rising new taxes, fees, cost of living from carbon taxes to property taxes to water, electricity rates, insurance etc. from all governments. This is already making it very difficult to impossible to keep their primary residence.

I would not be surprised how many Liberal voters don’t even know that they are the biggest targets for Trudeau, Morneau capital gains tax dart board. Liberal voters are going to pay through the noise and don’t even know that they are going to be $100,000 to $200,000 poorer to start.

Just add this to the black hole of massive tax grab when from RRSP’s, RRIF’s, capital gains from non-registered accounts, real estate, rental or income properties etc. when someone dies.

Nice underhanded, sneaky way to steal from one’s life and property, money after when they are dead. TFSA’s to your answer will probably be next when they grow over the next 20, 30 more years. You see you have to think like a socialist, Liberal, NDP, lefty which in ever waking moment is how much can i steal and call it taxes and say it is for are own good as Canadians but always results in a worse situation for everyone becoming equally poorer.

You sound just as moronic as the Libs talking about Doug Ford, who is not in the election. – Garth

#103 Dharma Bum on 10.14.19 at 10:12 am

Vote because of the privilege and the principle.
A rare right in a world that is largely still tyrannical and oppressive.
Don’t kid yourself for a moment that it makes any difference.
It’s all good.
No matter who wins in Canada, we will still have a life here that is better than 99.9% of the earth’s miserable population.
Be happy.
Idiotic and incompetent politicians need to feed their families too.

#104 Mask Removed on 10.14.19 at 10:18 am

#105 Randy on 10.14.19 at 10:25 am

Carbon Taxes don’t seem to stop Real Pollution…like Billions of Tons of raw sewage from being dropped into our rivers and waterways. Liberal Climate Tax Frauds…continued.

#106 Dennis Langan on 10.14.19 at 10:25 am

The UN is the biggest socialist disguised organization but is really a global government from IMF to world bank to WHO, EU etc.

If you believe government control and reach with corruption is high now you have seen nothing yet. The young and naive will learn the hard way and realize tehy have been duped.

#107 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 10:35 am

6 more days to a minority govt….

#108 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 10:50 am

looks like mad max will take a larger than expected % of the vote. interesting times.

The PPC will elect one MP, Max. Then oblivion. – Garth

#109 David Prokop on 10.14.19 at 10:54 am

NDP is willing to go to bed with Liberals just to prevent Conservatives from forming a government.
4 more years of Trudeau is my scariest nighmare…

#110 akashic records on 10.14.19 at 10:56 am

Got Blackrock ETF?

Guilty or not? Sell or hold?

#111 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 11:00 am

@#69 John in Delusion-ville
“nationalism is not separatism.”
+++++

Riiiiiiight.

The Quebec Provincial Legislature is dubbed ‘The National Assembly”
Your govt workers, teachers, the Quebec media have all pushed a separatist (Quebec as a nation) agenda for decades and now you split hairs.
“Nationalism is not separatism”
Tell that to the rabid acolytes of Rene Levesque, Jacques Parizeau, Lucien ‘benedict” Bouchard, on and on and on…..all wanting to haul Quebec out of Canada.
(And lets not forget the rush in Quebec to renew Canadian passports just before the 1994 referen-dumb)

Apparently seperatists want a “nation” with the safety of an Canadian Passport?
You want your cake and to eat it too.
Enjoy surviving without the $ billions in equalization payments that will immediately end.
The Province of Quebec has ALWAYS been a net receiver of money from the “equalization” program.
The Province of Quebec has never paid more than it recieves back from the Feds.
Ontario, Alberta and BC have always paid more than they recieve back. Facts are facts.
Your govt will be forced to either cut all those wonderful programs you have now (paid for by canadian Taxpayers) or raise taxes again in a Province

But why believe me?
We call your never ending threats.
Separate and prove us wrong or be horrified when you learn your politicians lied to you……..

My prediction?
Quebec WILL eventually separate (during an economic downturn)
Canada WILL become monolingual again to save billions in unnecessary bilingual programs in BC, Alberta, Sask, Man, Ont. etc etc etc.
Canada WILL dissolve over several decades to be absorbed part and parcel by the US.
50 – 100 years later?
Quebec french will be spoken in remote regions of the Province ( Like Louisiana cajun)as the cities and towns are forced to do business in English to compete for manufacturing jobs and tourism.
You wont be better off.
C’est la vie…..

#112 Not So New guy on 10.14.19 at 11:05 am

I sure am glad they have stopped blaming me for everything

signed,

Brian Mulroney

Ya, shut up.

-Harper

#113 Dr V on 10.14.19 at 11:11 am

Hmmm

#114 Renter's Revenge! on 10.14.19 at 11:18 am

#88 Dr V on 10.14.19 at 12:21 am

======================

It’s like that scene in Batman when the Joker puts on glasses and says, “You wouldn’t hit a man with glasses, would you?”

#115 akashic records on 10.14.19 at 11:27 am

#101 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper

Maybe you can bring clarification if the investor plebs is “how dare you!” exempt or not.

#116 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 11:36 am

@#109 David

4 more years of Trudeau……
+++++

Trudeau wont last 2 years in a minority govt.
We’ll be back to the polls sooner than that.

#117 45north on 10.14.19 at 11:38 am

European Central Bank:

What’s Draghi’s Goal?
Before one can state a policy is counterproductive, one must first understand the goal.
What is the goal?

If the goal is to stabilize banks and promote more lending, Draghi’s plan is counterproductive

If the goal is to bankrupt the banks to get Germany to agree to co-mingled budgets and an entire Eurozone-wide bank bailout, then Draghi’s plan is brilliant.

#118 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 11:48 am

@#58 Le Bloc Manifesto

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quand le Québec se sépare et que la péréquation s’arrête,
Qui allez-vous blâmer alors?
Les fonds de péréquation sont utilisés pour acheter des votes au Québec et dans les provinces de l’Atlantique.
Rien de plus compliqué que ça.

Merci.

#119 Remembrancer on 10.14.19 at 11:53 am

# ### No Desire to Fluff Their Auras

It would be interesting on an off weekend sometime to see, instead or along with one of Ryan’s charts, your webmaster/mistress’ chart of blog dog IP postings by geo and any clusters of multiple poster names using same or similar IPs etc, all anonymized of course . The jump in new poster’s names and wacky cross-party poke in the eye comments should likely peak next week, but still would be interesting to see for purely spectator value…

#120 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 11:58 am

@#108 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 10:50 am

The PPC will elect one MP, Max. Then oblivion. – Garth

______________________________________

I hope so.

#121 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 12:06 pm

Trudeau uses his “Trump” card in a dismal, desperate election ploy…..

#122 Sandy Fraduao on 10.14.19 at 12:15 pm

I finally read on this blog about capital gains taxes in the coming election. Now with the NDP wanting to work with the Trudeau Liberals capital gains rates will go higher and higher on on many new investments and capital.

Dividends looks like will be a main target too. It looks pretty soon we will be run by a communist government like Portugal. A lower standard of living with many European socialist type countries in the EU. Saving, investing and tax planning will all be thrown out the window. How far Canada has fallen.

#123 Ponzius Pilatus on 10.14.19 at 12:22 pm

#107 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 10:35 am
6 more days to a minority govt….
———–
About 3600 more sleeps to the opening of the new Massey tunnel.
You must be excited.

#124 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 12:31 pm

#121 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 12:06 pm
Trudeau uses his “Trump” card in a dismal, desperate election ploy…..

—————————–

Justin just watched ‘Love Actually’ and cast himself as Hugh Grant.

At least the colour matches this time.

#125 Blessed Canadian Millenial on 10.14.19 at 12:32 pm

“Attacking a female child like this, calling her mentally insane, suggests you fear her. – Garth”

————-

Actually, Greta is the one who mentioned all of our ailments. Nonplused is merely commenting on what he has been informed.

Also, since when did 16-year old (turning 17 in less than 3 months) is considered a child?

Lastly, she IS uninformed and misguided. She is passionate, of course, but her ire should be against those that actually pollute (China, Russia).

I do welcome her to AB. But I disagree with her predictions that the world is going to end if we don’t take drastic steps.

#126 Blessed Canadian Millenial on 10.14.19 at 12:49 pm

#101 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper on 10.14.19 at 9:56 am

—————-

Sure, Greta sailed across the Atlantic with her crew to make a point. But did you know that once she landed in North America, her entire crew FLEW back to Europe?

This ended up causing way more pollution than if Greta had just flew herself from Europe to North America.
LOL.

#127 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 12:56 pm

#110 akashic records on 10.14.19 at 10:56 am
Got Blackrock ETF?

Guilty or not? Sell or hold?

——————————

Guilty how? What are you talking about?

The last generation had their ‘Occupy Wall Street’, this group is blaming another wealthy and powerful enemy.

This, too, shall pass…. until the next one…

These minor, well-behaved and bloodless pseudo-revolutions are to be expected. It’s a good way to blow off steam, hang out with like-minded people, and feel accomplished. Afterward, the participants will take the bus home for a solid meal, some Netflix and satisfying sleep.

#128 Bdwy on 10.14.19 at 1:01 pm

Heading off this week for a month of sun time in multiple southern destinations.
In total 9 flights. None in economy cabin.
More legroom and way , way more co2 per me.
The gas of life.

#129 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 1:03 pm

#76 BlackDog the planet has lasted billions of years it’ll do fine.

Did ya notice Climate Change we are told always occurs places were are not allowed to visit, cannot see.
Antartica (forbidden, Lockheed Martin military contract runs it)
Arctic
Greenland.

If you are saying nowhere on this planet will be fit to grow food, indoors or outside, via technology then you are stark raving mad.

How to plants and animals survive this country, -40 to +40? Quite the temp range. We’re dying!!!?!

Google building its first smart city on the edge of Toronto’s water. They know.

#130 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 1:08 pm

THIS is the plan. Socialism, banning capitalism. CRadle to grave minimal income and government supplied drugs. We’ve seen this before.
Passive sheep heared into cities.
You get change in humans only via Fear and Violence – including economic attacks or shocking the economy, save via turning off the electricity (cough, Calif)

Preamble
This Agenda is a plan of action for people, planet and prosperity. It also seeks to strengthen universal peace in larger freedom. We recognise that eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, including extreme poverty, is the greatest global challenge and an indispensable requirement for sustainable development. All countries and all stakeholders, acting in collaborative partnership, will implement this plan. We are resolved to free the human race from the tyranny of poverty and want and to heal and secure our planet.

#131 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.14.19 at 1:27 pm

@#136 Pilates Plot
“About 3600 more sleeps to the opening of the new Massey tunnel.”
*****

10 years? Why so optimistic?
The local politicians in BC can dangle this political election bauble in front of the sheeple and NIMBY activists for at least another 20 years……
My God man.
ICBC will be privatized long before the Hwy 99 bottleneck is finally dealt with.

#132 Dr V on 10.14.19 at 1:32 pm

125 BCM

“Also, since when did 16-year old (turning 17 in less
than 3 months) is considered a child?”

I’d call it the perfect compromise. The marketing “sweet spot”. She’ll get just enough credibility, but maintain vulnerability.

I’ll revise my position. it’s not brilliance. It’s genius.

And BCM, if you’re an adult male, treating her as anything but a child will – and should – land you in jail.

#133 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 1:46 pm

@#127 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 12:56 pm
#110 akashic records on 10.14.19 at 10:56 am
Got Blackrock ETF?

////////////////////////////////////

hehe, kinda sounds like this blogs comment section.

#134 NoName on 10.14.19 at 1:47 pm

We are so doomed everything is warming up twice as fast as everywhere else. Almost like a chess board and grain. Iam thingking lasting another 12yrs is very generous.

gargel it dont take my word for it.
“________” (name of the country/region) “warming at twice global average”

EU-continent i guess

Singapore

South Africa

Africa

#135 oh bouy on 10.14.19 at 1:49 pm

@#122 Sandy Fraduao on 10.14.19 at 12:15 pm

-///////////////////////////////////////////

lol, better get out while you still can sandy.

#136 Sail Away on 10.14.19 at 1:54 pm

So many lofty prognostications on here. Such a rare company of philosophers and prophets.

My only accomplishment today was a cornbread-topped turkey pot pie. Pedestrian, I know. But delicious.

#137 jess on 10.14.19 at 2:01 pm

Canada’s political fact-checker.
Independent. Transparent. Non-partisan

right back at cha

Late last week, Senator Elizabeth Warren made a bold move and launched Facebook ads containing false claims that Mark Zuckerberg has endorsed President Donald Trump for 2020—the latest escalation between the presidential candidate and Facebook’s CEO.

We intentionally made a Facebook ad with false claims and submitted it to Facebook’s ad platform to see if it’d be approved. It got approved quickly and the ad is now running on Facebook. Take a look: pic.twitter.com/7NQyThWHgO
— Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) October 12, 2019

“Facebook holds incredible power to affect elections and our national debate. They’ve decided to let political figures lie to you—even about Facebook itself—while their executives and their investors get even richer off the ads containing these lies,” Warren tweeted. “Once again, we’re seeing Facebook throw its hands up to battling misinformation in the political discourse, because when profit comes up against protecting democracy, Facebook chooses profit.”

#138 SoggyShorts on 10.14.19 at 2:30 pm

#129 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 1:03 pm
#76 BlackDog the planet has lasted billions of years it’ll do fine.
******************
Yes, obviously the planet and some form of life will be fine. What a silly statement. Seriously who cares about rocks without humans? How much does the existence of Mercury or Venus do for you? When people say that climate change will “ruin the planet” obviously they mean ruin it for humans.

Even if the predictions are exaggerated, it’s not hard to believe that seemingly small things will change like the availability of certain foods, loss of coastal areas(like beaches where I’d like to spend the next 50 years) Or seasonal allergies that are already much worse (like a whole month longer)

Will humanity in some number and form “survive“? Most likely, but is that really how low of a bar you want to set?

#139 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 2:51 pm

The bar should be to stop pollution. And more green energy. If you choose to beleive Doomsday cult predictions…that sets the bar low for human rationalism.Here’s a tip… “climate refugees” always come to those countries offering free health care and benefits. Funny how this works isn’t it.

As a favour I’l give you 10 cents on the dollar for your property to be affected right now, ok ? Fair deal.

And you might wish to email google, check out their lakefront plan:

#140 Remembrancer on 10.14.19 at 3:32 pm

#129 TurnerNation on 10.14.19 at 1:03 pm

Top tip: the best jabs are the ones not easily provable as wrong…

Here’s a few options, I don’t have an interest in any…

Antarctica?

Greenland?

Arctic?
Depends – you leaving through Calgary? Or maybe you’re in Novaya Zemlya already comrade? That’s in the arctic…

#141 Not So New guy on 10.14.19 at 4:29 pm

What this generation will soon learn. What Ontar-I-owe is learning now and what the country learned in the ’90s and apparently promptly forgot is this. Sooner or later, everyone becomes a fiscal conservative

#142 acdel on 10.14.19 at 6:21 pm

#71 John in Mtl

I have always enjoyed your posts!

Perhaps we can both agree that equalization formula as we have is not a fair system. The reality is that Quebec should be contributing not accepting and then criticizing the Provinces that help it; along with your higher taxes; that can provide services that other Provinces cannot offer there’s without raising taxes to an obscene level.

Even you will have to admit; without transfer payments your Province would not be able to provide the services you have. Either we are a country or not; every Canadian should have the same equal services. Au revoir!

#143 Oh Buoy Done on 10.14.19 at 7:07 pm

Oh Buoy

There is no place to go. Enjoy it while you can your free stuff that is because it will not last. It is done guys.

#144 Bobby Vinny on 10.14.19 at 7:46 pm

“Blackface-Lavalin-India-ethics baggage”? I wonder what pleasure you could possibly derive from these simple-minded misrepresentations of reality. Stick to what you do best, Garth: home ec.

#145 Doug in Londinium on 10.14.19 at 8:35 pm

Truth be told, there may be no good option in this election.
————————————————————
Agreed, my thoughts exactly.

#146 Steven Rowlandson on 10.14.19 at 10:01 pm

Find the worthiest candidate in your riding and support him/her.

There are none. Voting for a political party or candidate that I could support with a clean conscience is illegal in Canada.