Dr. Garth

Impeaching Trump. Trudeau buying homeowners new furnaces. The Greens sucking off $15 billion a year taxing your RRSP transfers. Conservatives encouraging more debt. It’s a mad, mad world out there. But in the warm, wet womb of this pathetic blog, you can curl up on the Doctor’s couch and let those worries hang out. We won’t judge. Much.

Bring in the first victims.

Mandatory Suck Up: Thanks again for all the information, tips and recommendations you do for us non-financial people. Over the years you’ve helped me sound like the ‘smart, educated person who has her financial sh** together.’

We have 2 toddlers and I use the child benefit $ the government provides with some of my own money to fill their RESPs (enough to receive the maximum grant amount annually). So, each child has accumulated around $7,000 over their short time here from gifts for various occasions. How can I help grow this money so that when they’re adults, they can have a bit of a head start? Youth accounts, GICS and all that junk are pathetic.

My 2 ideas: Option 1: My husband has some room in his TFSA, we could put it in there, buy one ETF each and let it sit and grow? Option 2: Add more to the RESP – which I don’t exactly want to do because it’s stuck there. Or option 3, Garth?

Thanks so much…from my 2 bambinos who will hopefully grow up with some good money sense. Just call me Lola.

Silly, Lola. You’re supposed to use the Canada Child Benefit to finance a new quad or replace the pool liner, like most folks. However if you insist on helping your kids, there’s no better option than the RESP. As you know, $2,500 per kidlet annually earns you a federal grant. If you missed a year of free money, you can make that up over time. How can you not want a 20% ROI?

Now, the RESP is just like a tax-free savings account or an RRSP – it can hold a ton of different assets within it. All gains are untaxed until the money is taken out by the students, at which time it is taxed (or not) in their hands. The fact you’re asking these questions suggests you don’t have a self-directed RESP, but instead fell victim to one of the baby vultures selling a packaged plan – full of fees and crappy low-T investments.

If so, get out. Open the correct RESP (a family plan) with a non-bank advisor or an online brokerage, transfer the funds, and invest in equity-based ETFs. Given the long timeline for most education savings plans (at least a decade) you can ignore market volatility and skew more towards growth than safety. A return of 6% on maxed annual deposits will give you more than $70,000 per child in 15 years. Then they can be dentists and anesthesiologists and let you retire early.

Next, Ken in Calgary, with a new job.

I have been reading your blog posts while enjoying my morning cup of coffee for over five years now. Thanks to your sage wisdom I sold my house in Cowtown (early 2015) and managed to minimize my loses. In hindsight this was a great move not only financially but also mentally, as it enabled me to rest easy at night. Having to deal with the stress of potentially losing one’s job at any moment and still being on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars to the man was too much.

I recently moved from a medium sized midstream oil and gas company to a super major that still offers a Defined Benefit pension (fully funded). My previous employer had a RRSP matching program and I was able to save $80,000, sitting in Sunlife Group Funds that have low management fees. I must do something with these funds within 90 days.

What should I do with my RRSPs!? I still have room and plan to continue to contribute until they’re maxed. I made an appointment with a bank advisor but left being less than impressed. I had to tolerate some guy in a bad suit trying to sell me several GICs that would be lucky to return 1% after inflation. I could stay with Sunlife and move to similar funds but will see my management fees increase from 0.5% to 1.5% (which seems decent as most bank funds seem to charge nearly 2%). I want as little involvement as possible and have no plans for these funds prior to my retirement (which won’t happen for the next three decades). A little guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sure. First, forget any new RRSP contributions. At least for now. The DB pension will be providing a guaranteed monthly income stream in retirement (unless you commute it), which means at age 71 you’ll be forced to start liquidating RRSPs and could end up in a higher tax bracket. That would suck. So concentrate on maxing the TFSA and ensuring it’s brimming with growthy assets. All income from that pot in retirement will not be added to the DB cash flow, no tax impact.

As for the unused RRSP room, it will actually become more valuable later in the career when your income rises. Also, if you can commute the pension down the road, having a boatload of available room will help cut down drastically on the tax payable on the cash portion.

The SunLife funds? You could robo them for a 0.5% fee, but leaving them where they are is a valid option, too. The fee may be higher but the outfit is a helluva lot more stable.

Now to Mike and his dear squeeze, Catherine.

My wife and I have been enjoying your blog for more than a decade. We very much value your great efforts to financially educate Canadians. You have addressed the topic of early retirement several times in the past. However, it would be even more helpful for us if you can share your thoughts for this specific scenario.

My wife is 58 and decided to quit working this year and help our daughter with her three young kids, our grandchildren. I will continue working, and should be able to support both of us. She has $200k in her RRSP account. I have been contributing to a spousal RRSP account in her name for a few years, and currently it is valued at $100k. I will continue contributing to this account until I retire. Our plan is to start draining those RRSP accounts starting in 2020. Our question is what is the optimal amount(s) to withdraw from these RRSP accounts in her name annually? And also should she apply to receiving CPP in 2020 or wait? She is not planning to work any longer, thus no future contribution to her CPP will be made. We would much appreciate if you discuss this topic in your blog.

Glad to hear you have the freedom and resources (and guts) for Catherine to pursue this path. It sounds like she will be out of the workforce for good so (a) if you don’t need the cash flow, leave the RRSPs intact. After all, assuming they’re properly invested and plumping tax-free – and C has another 30 years of life – then there’s no reason to forego the growth. But (b) if income is an issue, drawing down the registered plans when she has finished getting money from her employer is a viable plan. Taking $20,000 a year (in Ontario) will result in a lowly 8% tax rate, so she nets more than $18,300.

Or, (c) how about your daughter paying your wife to look after her kids, since she’d be footing daycare costs without the family help. Why should C work for free? Three daycare spaces in a big city costs a total of about $45,000 these days, so if Catherine makes just half that it beats cashing any of the RRSPs. Plus daughter can use her government kiddie pogey to help do it. Then Justin pays!

As for the spousal contributions, good on you. The deduction and tax saving goes to you and the money becomes Catherine’s property. But be aware that at least 36 months need pass between contributions and withdrawals, or the funds will be attributed back to you and taxed as regular income. Finally, CPP – she should take it at 60. Everybody should. When the government gives you money, stick your hand out. If you don’t need it, plunk it in your TFSA. Never gamble on how long you’re going to live, nor how capricious government can be.

#1 conan on 09.25.19 at 4:25 pm

Capital I impeachment. I don’t see how he gets out of this.

#2 SimplyPut7 on 09.25.19 at 4:35 pm

—————

Thank you for reminding people how much it costs these days to have kids in daycare in the bigger cities.

I’m not sure how single parent families are getting by these days given the cost of rent.

#3 Sask to AB on 09.25.19 at 4:42 pm

Great post, Garth. Thanks for the advice about taking CPP at 60. Appreciate it.

F56AB

#4 The Totally Unbiased, Highly Intelligent, Rational Observer on 09.25.19 at 4:53 pm

This is AMAZING. Simply AMAZING. There is actually a Canadian politician who has the brains to know what is really going on and the guts to tell it like it is. A politician who actually deserves some respect for his intelligence, honesty, and decency. AMAZING.

Some other politicians who have heard the facts do not dare to state them so openly and clearly for fear of upsetting a whole generation of “man-made brain-warmed/changed” school kids.

PEOPLE’S PARTY OF CANADA

2019 ELECTORAL PLATFORM

#5 IHCTD9 on 09.25.19 at 5:02 pm

————

…or a new SXS, make sure it’s a YAMAHA. I suggest the new X2 850 SE R-Spec. Might as well get the best when T2 is buying!

Lola, just pack it in to your TFSA’s and make sure you can live off just the proceeds when retired. The kiddies get what’s left – which could be a fat slice if you want it to be.

#6 Smartalox on 09.25.19 at 5:03 pm

@Conan#1:

Easy. Given his obvious and repeated demonstrations of cowardice, at the first sign of any fight he can’t win he cuts a deal, resigns, and like Nixon, lives out his days with a gold-plated taxpayer funded pension, taxpayer-funded Secret Service protection for himself and his family, a Presidential pardon (from Mike Pence) whatever ‘legacy’ he can cobble together, and a consequence-free twitter account.

And Mike Pence gets to take the defeat in 2020.

#7 Antwerpen on 09.25.19 at 5:13 pm

There’s nothing I can find about taxing RRSPs in the Green Party platform. Seems to me that they are the only Conservative party left in the traditional sense of the term, in saving what is good for future generations.

Financial transaction tax. Huge. – Garth

#8 Flop... on 09.25.19 at 5:14 pm

Anyone on here been watching the latest instalment of Undercover Billionaire on Discovery Channel?

I’ve enjoyed it and learnt a few lessons that I might be able to apply in the future.

The guy, Glenn Stearns, seems quite personable and not as big a pecker as some of the other guys.

Maybe it’s because he’s only really worth half a billion…

#9 Nothing Surprises on 09.25.19 at 5:16 pm

What the wealthy, managing over 5 Trillion US $$$’s are predicting!

#10 Leo Trollstoy on 09.25.19 at 5:28 pm

Trump won’t be affected by #impeachmentgate

Sorry anti-Trumpers, you just handed him a 2nd term lol

Too easy

PS: what happened with #russiagate again? Oh yeah, nothing lol

#11 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper on 09.25.19 at 5:32 pm

Lizzie Warren will take an axe
She’ll give equities forty whacks
And when she sees what she has done
She’ll give bond markets forty-one
Lizzie Warren will get away
For this crime she will not pay

Well, that’s what Leon Cooperman thinks, anyway. He sounds more worried than when the SEC was sweating him for insider trading.

#12 Sail away on 09.25.19 at 5:32 pm

Lola, definitely max the RESP, and definitely manage it yourself as Garth mentions. Over 18 years for our two kids, we accumulated around $150k each at around 9% CAGR.

It’s astounding that everybody doesn’t take full advantage of the RESP. It’s free $ for crying out loud- use the free child benefit to get more free money.

I’m in favour of socialism when I benefit directly. Otherwise… not.

And don’t worry about it being unavailable – that’s actually a big benefit since it means it won’t be fiddled with. In the end it’s all your money.

#13 Sail away on 09.25.19 at 5:37 pm

#1 conan on 09.25.19 at 4:25 pm

Capital I impeachment. I don’t see how he gets out of this.

————————————–

Not happening. Put your money where your mouth is and take my $100 bet.

Loser donates to an organization of the winner’s choice.

#14 Smoking Man on 09.25.19 at 5:38 pm

It’s getting crazy out there.

Boom!
#Crowdstrike
#Crowdstrike
#Crowdstrike

#15 Ray on 09.25.19 at 5:45 pm

An alternative method of investing may be focusing on dividend growth companies. Dividend Growth Companies have raised their dividend consistently over the past five years. These companies show a price resilience during a market down turns because as the price goes down, the dividend yield goes up, and compounded with the dividend growth aspect, investors wait for these companies to “go on sale” AS an example : New Flyers Industries (NFI.T). It’s current price is $28.75 and it provides an annual dividend of $ 1.70, resulting in a yield of 5.9%. Over the past five years, it has grown the dividend by about 23% annually (Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)). If you were to buy $10,000 worth of NFI.T to-day, you would obtain about 350 shares and receive about $590 in dividends next year. If all being equal, and you let this grow in a TFSA for 15 years, this one investment would be providing about $13,000 annually in dividends in year 15. NFI.T manufactures city transit buses, has a price to earning ratio of about 13, and a dividend payout ratio of about 75% and a Debt to Capital Ratio around 60%. A significant part of their business is in Long Term Maintenance contracts with US Cities with the buses purchase contracts, so they have good cash flow to support the dividend. Just something to think about.

#16 marcus on 09.25.19 at 5:47 pm

Anyone who thinks that Trump will actually be impeached has not been following the information about the Ukraine and China. This whole fiasco will reveal to those with an IQ above room temperature that Billions of dollars were funnled to the Biden family and the Clinton Foundation. This is common knowledge on Capital Hill among the political class and even those that “report” the news. I think that most are amazed that the Democrats stepped on this land mine. The question is when will they lift up their foot in an attempt to get away.

Biden got billions? Do you believe what you typed? – Garth

#17 yorkville renter on 09.25.19 at 5:48 pm

#6 – I’m OK with that… Trump needs to go

#18 Mike on 09.25.19 at 5:52 pm

Sounds reasonable.

#19 AGuyInVancouver on 09.25.19 at 5:59 pm

PEOPLE’S PARTY OF CANADA

2019 ELECTORAL PLATFORM
_ _ _
Let me tell you how I made $25k a day working from home! LOL

#20 MF on 09.25.19 at 6:34 pm

-Probably a troll, but please stop posting this garbage.

This party seems to be pushing a scorched earth policy as a result of its leader’s grudge.

A wasted vote.

Like Garth says, a vote for this party of frustration is also 2 for the libs. Again scorched earth.

Math is hard (also a Garth saying).

MF

#21 Sail away on 09.25.19 at 6:36 pm

#12 Ray on 09.25.19 at 5:45 pm

————————————

Wha…??

You added an extra zero. Dividend would be $1,300 in 15 years assuming all else stayed equal.

And about that… you didn’t mention that if you invested $10,000 in this stock one year ago, it would now be worth $5,000.

#22 MF on 09.25.19 at 6:38 pm

#19 AGuyInVancouver on 09.25.19 at 5:59 pm

“Let me tell you how I made $25k a day working from home! LOL”

-Hahaha Touché. Should be deleted.

MF

#23 marcus on 09.25.19 at 6:39 pm

Biden got billions? Do you believe what you typed? – Garth

Garth: 1.6 Billion from China and 4.8 million from the Ukraine for just 1 particular deal. Add in the Clinton Foundation and yes it comes to Billions. 3-5 Billion dollars over the past 25 years or so. More-so when Hillary was Secretary of State. Wake up Garth.

#24 slam on 09.25.19 at 6:43 pm

#19 AGuyInVancouver
“Let me tell you how I made $25k a day working from home! LOL”

Please elaborate!

#25 Dave on 09.25.19 at 6:47 pm

Which party do you vote for that will hurt the real estate market the most?

#26 jess on 09.25.19 at 6:55 pm

he knows all good people

Meet the Florida Duo Helping Giuliani Investigate for Trump in Ukraine

who are Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman,

…”a joint investigation by the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) and BuzzFeed News, based on interviews and court and business records in the United States and Ukraine, has uncovered new information that raises questions about their influence on U.S. political figures.

#27 yorkville renter on 09.25.19 at 6:57 pm

#16 – so, everyone knows what you state, except evwry Dem? sure buddy.

also, when you ask a foreign government for political dirt, that’s against the law, period. no quid pro quo required

#28 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 09.25.19 at 6:58 pm

Poncho was a bandit boy, his horse was fast as polished steel
He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to feel
Poncho met his match you know on the deserts down in Mexico
Nobody heard his dyin” words ah but that’s the way it goes.

Guess who watched PBS last night? – Garth

#29 Lisa on 09.25.19 at 7:06 pm

Great blog today! Thanks!

#30 The Dogg Pound on 09.25.19 at 7:06 pm

Hey Garth:

If dirty money is a nothing burger like you claim then why is it at the top of all the federal political campaigns right now?

Toronto housing has popped just like I predicted due to the sloshing around of this money that at present has now benefited the GTA.

As a reminder BC has zero dedicated officers on the file of dirty money. Incredible. Talking the talk and not walking the walk. Bye, bye Trudeau.

#31 reynolds531 on 09.25.19 at 7:10 pm

Green party financial transactions tax!?

That looks like fun! First I read .2%, now their platform says .5%. Probably on it’s way to 10%.

And I guess this would apply to TFSAs?

#32 The Totally Unbiased, Highly Intelligent, Rational Observer on 09.25.19 at 7:14 pm

“Impeaching Trump.”–GT

All the forces of darkness and evil have been scheming and plotting and foaming away at the mouth about impeaching Donald J. Trump ever since he first got elected. All the forces of darkness and evil will continue to scheme and plot and foam away at the mouth about impeaching President Trump right up to the end of his second term. It is called DIRTY POLITICS.

But the forces of light and truth and goodness are with The Donald to help him. He will need it. He has so much work to do. In addition to building his sensational skyscrapers and gorgeous golf courses in the past, the Good People of America now want him to build a wonderful wall of defence, and the Sanhedrin in Israel wants him to help build a terrific temple in Jerusalem, and he wants to Make America Great Again.

All the Bad People will continue to give President Trump nothing but opposition, obstruction, false accusations, and unreasonableness, like they have all along from the very beginning. The Bad People will be sorely perplexed, though, and will begin to wonder why even though they all band together against President Trump, and spend 24/7/365 scheming and plotting and foaming away at the mouth, and have all the forces of darkness and evil on their side, their wicked plots always seem to be frustrated and thwarted and come to nothing. Furthermore, some of their own very real faults and crimes and sins will start to catch up with them.

What more can I say? Fate will be great!

Love your sarcasm. – Garth

#33 Deplorable Dude on 09.25.19 at 7:20 pm

#14 Smoky…..”
It’s getting crazy out there.

Boom!
#Crowdstrike
#Crowdstrike
#Crowdstrike”

Yep….the name that shalt not be mentioned. All roads lead to this secretive Democratic cleanup company.

Hence the Dem hysteria.

Biden/Crowdstrike/Ukraine/fake Russian dossier…all related.

Oh…and Pelosi didn’t start formal impeachment proceedings yesterday. That needs a House vote. She was just blowing hot air to placate her gullible base.

Dems just stepped on a giant rake. Trump asks for Ukraine’s help in looking at 2016 election interference and they wanna impeach?…..phttt.

Not interested in this convo. Take it to Breitbsrt. – Garth

#34 crowdedelevatorfartz on 09.25.19 at 7:28 pm

@#20 MF
“I’m not voting for some guy because he has a personal beef with someone else in his life because he lost a competition and is bitter (the leadership).

A wasted vote.
Like Garth says, a vote for this party of frustration is also 2 for the libs.
Again scorched earth.

+++++++
Re People’s Party of Canuckda

I should renew my glasses prescription.
I have found no fault with anything you just wrote……

#35 conan on 09.25.19 at 7:30 pm

#13 Sail away on 09.25.19 at 5:37 pm

Not fair to take your money. Just donate to JT.
Thanks

#36 crowdedelevatorfartz on 09.25.19 at 7:37 pm

Garth.
I realize a close Canadian election is somewhat irrelevant on the worldwide scale of things but…….

Any thoughts on how a snap election in Britain and their crashing out of the EU may affect increasingly nervous financial markets worldwide?

And can anyone else explain why financial sh!tstorms always seem to hit in Oct?

Brexitile dysfunction was priced in a while ago. – Garth

#37 The Totally Unbiased, Highly Intelligent, Rational Observer on 09.25.19 at 7:37 pm

“Love your sarcasm.” – Garth

Thanks, Garth. Thank you. Thank you very much. I will try not to let your effusive praise go to my head.

P.S.

What is sarcasm?

#38 Ray on 09.25.19 at 7:39 pm

#21 Sail away
Invest in a better calculator 1.23^15=22.3
Dividend investors look forward to red days.

#39 Flop... on 09.25.19 at 8:18 pm

The headline writer wrote…

Police Tesla goes flat during pursuit.

I would have gone with…

Guilty as charged…

“Police driving a Tesla patrol car in California had to abandon pursuit of a suspect when the electric car ran out of charge.

But officers say the drama was a result of human error as opposed to a problem with the car.

The Tesla Model S is built in Fremont, California, where the local police department fields an example of the car on a trial basis.

Fremont Police officer Jesse Hartman made headlines around the US when his Tesla Model S showed a low battery warning in the line of duty.

Radio released following the chase shows Hartman telling dispatchers “I’ve just realised I’m down to six miles of battery… I have to find a charging station for the Tesla so I can make it back.”

#40 Grunt on 09.25.19 at 8:19 pm

Impeaching Trump:

Todays Dems can’t whip out a Sam Ervin. Nor do the American public have the attention span.

#41 45north on 09.25.19 at 8:19 pm

mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd:

Poncho was a bandit boy, his horse was fast as polished steel
He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to fear

Emmylou Haris – a great country singer

#42 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 8:26 pm

“in the warm, wet, womb”

Bordering on pornographic Garth.

#43 Sebee on 09.25.19 at 8:28 pm

Few days ago I wasn’t sure I pressed submit with that Michael Burry quote and thought the post didn’t go through, but today my comment posted for sure because I saw it pending review.

Can you advise why it didn’t pass your mod to post? Now it’s making me think Michael Burry is onto something there. I mean…this site is hardly a place where smart discussion and information is unwelcome. So why is that not cool?

Posted multiple times already. – Garth

#44 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 8:39 pm

“Finally, CPP – she should take it at 60. Everybody should. When the government gives you money, stick your hand out. If you don’t need it, plunk it in your TFSA. Never gamble on how long you’re going to live, nor how capricious government can be.”

I disagree with this advice. I think it depends on one’s situation whether or not to take CPP at age 60. For example, if you don’t have any other pensions and modest savings, then the full CPP benefit at age 65 (as opposed to approximately a 40% reduction at age 60) can make a big difference in the quality of life for a senior. Too many people take the money early, blow it, then don’t have enough to live on in their later years. If you aren’t worried about your finances post age 65+, then take the money now, otherwise consider postponing your CPP.

And why do you use the “capricious government” argument for the CPP, but not for your beloved TFSA? If the government attacks the CPP, for sure TFSA’s will already be toast.

If CPP forms a mainstay of your retirement income after six or seven decades of life, you failed financially. Sadly. – Garth

#45 Flop... on 09.25.19 at 8:48 pm

I know for sure I’m not from around here but how do you guys say Quebec?

I don’t remember this one during my citizenship test.

I say Kwuhbec.

During election time I seem to here a lot more Keebec.

Is election time the only time proper pronunciation matters…

#46 MF on 09.25.19 at 8:53 pm

34 crowdedelevatorfartz on 09.25.19 at 7:28 pm

-Lol good. I’m not surprised.

We actually agree on a lot.

I think you view everyone from Ontario, Toronto specifically, as one person with one view. I’ll keep reminding you that that is complete nonsense though :)

MF

#47 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 8:53 pm

True that, but I hate to tell you there are people for whom 500 bucks a month or so really does make a difference. Thus your stating that EVERYONE should take CPP at 60 is not good advice.

They probably don’t come here. – Garth

#48 Don Guillermo on 09.25.19 at 8:53 pm

Can’t believe we’ve got to post 44 and no one has said “awesome car”!!

#49 Drill Baby Drill on 09.25.19 at 8:54 pm

The promises from all political parties has now flopped into the absurd. The amount of debt required to fund all of this is beyond comprehension. I cannot believe how stupid they think the electorate are. Oh oops I take that back.

#50 Drill Baby Drill on 09.25.19 at 8:58 pm

Canada right now is like an auction going for the highest bid. But on the horizon unseen by the electorate approaches major market and capital funding retrenching which will negate all current bids. God help us.

#51 akashic record on 09.25.19 at 9:24 pm

#45 Flop… on 09.25.19 at 8:48 pm

I know for sure I’m not from around here but how do you guys say Quebec?

You should ask the Algonquin natives.

#52 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper on 09.25.19 at 9:36 pm

“If CPP forms a mainstay of your retirement income after six or seven decades of life, you failed financially.”

Maybe so, but you still have to decide when to take CPP. And the decision is far more important than for a household that just uses it for extra luxuries.

Statscan says the MEDIAN total income for persons 65+, not living with a spouse or adult child, was $26,600. 2.1 million households fit that description, and half of them were below that line. Some had assets to draw down or borrow against that wouldn’t be measured as income, others didn’t.

Sure, it’s a finance blog aimed at the successful and those young enough to still have time. But maybe some empathy for those whose past circumstances can’t be changed, and whose pension choices are imminent and vital?

I stated a fact. CPP was never intended to be income replacement, merely a supplement. Empathy is another matter. – Garth

#53 Just Call Me Lola on 09.25.19 at 9:41 pm

Hi Garth – thanks for replying to my question. I may not have made myself clear so hopefully this will clarify things. I do have a self-directed RESP, have received the max 20% grant amount each year and have managed a 6.28% annualized return…so I think I’ve got that part right so far. We are funding that account.

I’m wondering what I should do with the gift money that my children are accumulating from family/friends. Where can I let that money grow? This is where I’m thinking to use some unused room in my husband’s TFSA to purchase an ETF each so I can take that out tax free when they are adults. From reading your advise, I think either this or adding on top of the annual $2500 RESP contributions I already do, will be the way to go.

Thanks,
Lola ;)

Ah. So why not dump it in the RESP? Your lifetime contribution per kid is $50k, and you can still go back one year to get the grant. – Garth

#54 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 9:49 pm

Another situational factor to consider regarding taking CPP early or late, is the tax bracket you expect to be in at 60 versus 65+. You may find yourself taking a BIGGER tax hit on a much SMALLER piece of pie at age 60 than age 65+.

Wait to collect more at 70. Die at 76. Great plan. – Garth

#55 Zzzzzzasleep at the wheel on 09.25.19 at 10:01 pm

Silly me, and I thought Child Benefit cash was supposed to lift children out if poverty, feed them, pay for the expensive childhood things like extra curricular, school lunches and seasonal clothes. Hearing that the tax payer larogesse goes into an RESP, car lease and mortgage pmt shocks the mind. Isn’t the idea of stealing what is essentially charity abhorrent anymore? It’s a massive theft and fraud. Because I’ve still heard teachers complaining that recipient children still come to school without being fed. Disgusting.

And BTW, look what Kinder Morgan did with our 5 billion dollars that Trudeau gave them to muzzle the Transmountain furour.

Seeking Alpha: Take Me Away: What New Permian Pipeline Capacity Means For Crude Prices And Exports.

And the team all got million dollar bonuses courtesy of Trudeau. Again, billions in future revenues splashed down the can for blackface and fancy dress. How nice.

#56 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 10:11 pm

For those 60+ year olds who don’t need the monthly income now anyway, perhaps they could consider taking CPP as late as possible, as a sort of insurance policy for their declining years of which there could be many, and if so, will likely be costly. Long term care is expensive, and something to be considered in one’s financial plan, post-retirement. Don’t assume (just hope) that you and your partner will live independently forever.

#57 Sydneysider on 09.25.19 at 10:11 pm

For those who live in BC, take note that not all brokerages are set up to handle the BCTESG (lump of cash from the BC govt) in RESP accounts.

As far as I know, TD and QTrade can; RBC and Questrade cannot. But best to check before you open the account.

Also, none of the brokerages seem to allow US dollar accounts, so buy/sell activities with US investments are subject to hefty exchange fees that cannot be avoided.

#58 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 10:15 pm

“Wait to collect more at 70. Die at 76. Great plan. – Garth”

I don’t believe I suggested anyone do that or anything else. What I am suggesting is that people try and understand how CPP works and then apply this knowledge to their own personal situations, rather than just assuming everyone should take CPP at age 60, no exceptions. Give people the facts, present various scenarios to them that maybe they never really thought about and then let them decide.

#59 Eco Capitalist on 09.25.19 at 10:21 pm

@ #39 Flop,

But it wasn’t charged. If it was, it wouldn’t have gone flat.

Keep practicing… ;-)

#60 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 10:22 pm

They probably don’t come here. – Garth

Some do. What is the purpose in belittling them for seeing the light late in life, or for having fallen upon bad times?

#61 lifexprt on 09.25.19 at 10:35 pm

Garth, I admire you for posting daily and actually taking the time to answer people’s questions. Not just brushing over them but actually providing coherent and professional advice.

Wish you many more years of health and happiness.

#62 S.Bby on 09.25.19 at 10:45 pm

That must be Ryan’s Porsche …

#63 VicPaul on 09.25.19 at 10:51 pm

#48 Don Guillermo on 09.25.19 at 8:53 pm
Can’t believe we’ve got to post 44 and no one has said “awesome car”!!
******
The new e-car from Porsche, the Taycan – 0-60mph in 2.9 seconds…..Porsche, there is no substitute.

#64 Russ on 09.25.19 at 10:51 pm

Flop… on 09.25.19 at 8:48 pm

I know for sure I’m not from around here but how do you guys say Quebec?

I don’t remember this one during my citizenship test.

I say Kwuhbec.

During election time I seem to here a lot more Keebec.

Is election time the only time proper pronunciation matters…

==================

Hey Flop,

Simple.

On home turf Kwuebec id perfectly acceptable.

If you are beyond Hope then Kaybeck seems to become popular.
And a maybe more effective if you drawl a bit too, like da tru acadian eh!

#65 Damifino on 09.25.19 at 10:59 pm

I’m having trouble understanding the fervor over Trump’s conversion with the Ukrainian president.

Even before he was elected, he publicly appealed to all Russian hackers to expose Hillary Clinton’s emails. These are the communications of the American Secretary of State, mind you. Probably rife with classified information.

What’s fundamentally different about him asking a foreign state for dirt on yet another political rival? Was that unexpected behavior? Why would it be?

#66 James Sears on 09.25.19 at 10:59 pm

#67 Russ on 09.25.19 at 11:07 pm

Russ on 09.25.19 at 2:39 pm

maybe off topic but right on target…

Here is the link. Don’t do that again. – Garth
====================================

Thanks for the link Garth.

How do you find these items? Love CBC’s Q&Q.

That copy thing was the good ol’ perspective posted on someone’s faceplant page. And I know that F/B links can be unreliable to those not truly entangled in the web so that wasn’t really an option here (since we cannot edit our post).

In all fairness, the comment submission wasn’t remarkably different in length to the tripe that jess regularly posts (without personal comment).

Respectfully suggesting that a bit o’ housekeeping is in order.
Cheers, R

#68 James Sears on 09.25.19 at 11:37 pm

#69 Bailey on 09.25.19 at 11:58 pm

Delaying your cpp is a guaranteed 7.2% return. Why would anyone not take that. Unless you’re literally starving or unless you have reason to believe you won’t live past 70.

#70 James Sears on 09.25.19 at 11:58 pm

#71 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 12:29 am

I’m having a hard time thinking of words starting with the ‘f’ sound that could describe a phallus, but to be consistent with “wet, warm, womb”, all three words in my suggested rewording, should start with the same sound.

Perhaps “firm, forceful, phallus” would be better.

#72 DON on 09.26.19 at 12:39 am

#81 Jimers on 09.25.19 at 12:30 am

The only thing ‘we adults” owe children like Greta is a good education, which they obviously are not getting now.

Amusing how a wispy 16-year-old female has so many angry men running scared. – Garth

****************

Amusing is the nice way of putting it. A bunch of juvenile old waste bags telling a young lady what she should feel and think. They must not have women in their lives. (assumption…yah but!)

Pisses me right off! She has the right to free speech and when I was 16 I knew a helluva lot. It’s not rocket science. What wrong with hearing what she has to say without attacking her in some way.

#73 DON on 09.26.19 at 12:41 am

#74 Raging Ranter on 09.24.19 at 10:56 pm

@#42 Shawn Allen, we do have a climate emergency. We are seeing funding for other environmental problems drying up as money gets eaten up by more and more ridiculous climate change programs, most of which are totally ineffective. We need a drastic repurposing of environmental funding AWAY from climate change initiatives and into environmental problems that are actually solvable.

I’m far more worried about the garbage we are putting into the oceans, the massive decline in the bird populations, and the destruction of natural habitat that continues unabated. All those problems are inherently fixable, yet we focus on the one problem that we can never get a handle on (mostly because we cannot even measure it properly). I’m getting extremely tired of every environmental problem, every species at risk, every invasive species, being blamed on climate change. We do have an emergency – people have been taken by a new religion, have become fanatical zealots, and they threaten to destroy the environment via misappropriated resources and misplaced focus. There’s your emergency if you need one.
*****************

Well said!

Let’s start with cleaning up our own back yards. There’s more than enough to do. Surely coming from a cave to a modern life is not the end of human progress. No extremes just a balanced and steady approach and careful timing (much like an engine). Throw in some critical thinking and never assume.

#74 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 12:44 am

Not sure that anyone who reads here will care, because everyone who does is either well off, or young with time to get to that point. However in the off chance that there might be a 50 something (or thereabouts)lurking around, who is not going to be rolling in dough at age 60+, and is contemplating taking CPP at 60, something to be aware of is that once you apply for CPP, you can no longer apply for disability benefits. Since disability benefits can be significantly higher than the maximum CPP benefit at age 60, if being forced into early retirement due to disability might be a financial struggle for you, perhaps CPP at age 60 is not the right move. Oh, and stay away from this blog. It’s too late for you. Old dogs can’t learn new tricks apparently.

#75 DON on 09.26.19 at 12:49 am

#23 marcus on 09.25.19 at 6:39 pm

Biden got billions? Do you believe what you typed? – Garth

*********

Is it true that Biden’s son has/is doing something in the Ukraine?

#76 Smartalox on 09.26.19 at 12:56 am

@Flop: The Francophone pronunciation of Quebec is closer to keh-beck. That’s the way I’ve always said it.

(Formerly QC)

#77 Jimers on 09.26.19 at 1:06 am

#1 conan
Easy, Trump just shows that Biden and his son are guilty of criminal activity in The Ukraine. While he’s at it bring down Crowdstrike and their questionable claim Russia hacked the election. As Commander in Chief, head of the FBI and CIA, it is Trump’s Constitutional duty to follow up and get to the bottom of any crime he is aware of. Joe Biden’s CFR confession on Youtube where he brags he had The Ukrainian Prosecutor investigating his son fired in lieu of it holding back a $billion in aid to The Ukraine should be all the probable cause needed for Trump to launch a Presidential Investigation into Biden Family activities. But ultimately it will be up to AG Barr to decide if indictments of the Bidens is are warranted.

#78 Jimers on 09.26.19 at 1:10 am

“Joe Biden’s net worth is apparently $9 million, half of that coming from a book deal. I guess he spent the other billion on shirts. He has nice ones. – Garth”

Garth, Giuliani is suing Bidens for money laundering, do you actually think criminals report their spoils to Forbes magazine?

#79 Smoking Man on 09.26.19 at 1:11 am

33 Deplorable Dude on 09.25.19 at 7:20 pm
#14 Smoky…..”
It’s getting crazy out there.

Boom!
#Crowdstrike
#Crowdstrike
#Crowdstrike”

Hence the Dem hysteria.

Biden/Crowdstrike/Ukraine/fake Russian dossier…all related.

Not interested in this convo. Take it to Breitbsrt. – Garth

Gartho once said that real men wear boots.

I’m saying fearless men sport Walmart filp flops year round..

#80 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.26.19 at 1:17 am

Am in Vienna, Austria right now.
Best place on earth for sure.
Gorging on Wiener Schnitzel and Sacher Torte.
Getting around on a fantastic public transport system.
And my, is it clean.
And best thing:
Have not seen an F-150, yet.

#81 Somking Man on 09.26.19 at 1:18 am

Random drinken post..

#82 SoggyShorts on 09.26.19 at 2:57 am

#7 Antwerpen on 09.25.19 at 5:13 pm

Financial transaction tax. Huge. – Garth
****************
My google skills are failing me tonight…
I see in the Green’s platform one mention:
♦ Impose a financial transactions tax of 0.2 per cent in the finance sector as France has done since 2012.

According to Wikipedia France has a .2% tax on purchases of stock from French companies valued over 1B.

Surely that can’t be May’s plan? Just a tax on buying Canadian stocks?

Also, there are more terrible ideas in there:
• Prohibit Canadian businesses from deducting the cost of advertising on foreign-owned sites such as
Google and Facebook which now account for 80 percent of all spending on advertising Canada.
Sorry, but unless you are going to invent a Canadian Google/FB then businesses must use what’s available and the cost of advertising should absolutely be a write off

• Increase the federal corporate tax rate from 15 to 21 percent to bring it into line with the federal rate in
the United States, our biggest trading partner.
You mean “Reduce Canadian companies ability to compete with US”?

#83 Midnights on 09.26.19 at 4:46 am

Mauldin: The 60/40 Portfolio Is Riskier Than Ever

#84 unbalanced on 09.26.19 at 6:12 am

Great idea paying grandma to tend to the little ones. Would it be beneficial to both parties if Grandma claimed the income and daughter claimed the expense for write offs

#85 expat on 09.26.19 at 7:51 am

Greens attacking wealth creation.

Liberals attacking wealth creation and anyone else who disagrees with their lunacy.

NDP wiping out wealth creation.

Conservatives trying to preserve wealth creation but have an invisible leader.

People’s Party – saying what most don’t have the balls to say.

I am sooo glad we moved……

Now we have Communism coming to the US.

Trump is the last bastion of free market capitalism.

I guess a third passport will be required.

He has created huge wealth improvement across all classes.

BTW, It’s not Trump that concerns me.
It’s what leftist psycho comes after him….

From where I sit, Canada is sliding into Leftist tyranny.
If you are wealthy, you better have an exit strategy.

#86 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper on 09.26.19 at 8:00 am

National Post says it’s spelled ‘Sheer’:

Please update your style guides. Proper spelling and grammar is a battle we can’t afford to loose!

#87 expat on 09.26.19 at 8:10 am

BTW – after turning your youth into a screaming mob because of the climate crisis ask yourself this question.

When these tormented ki, angey kids become adults in 13 years after the world is to end and it hasn’t.

What will be their next enemy?

You have created a generation of raving lunatics who behave like a mob…

When this mob runs the country what will they go after?
They will come after you…..

Its not what you see in front of your nose that you should be worried about.

Its the adult you created who hates wealth, hates normals, who hates anyone who disagress with their twisted adult philosophy which was created by parents who thought making them adult activists at 6 years old was a great idea……

You should be worried my friends, because this hate you created in your kids will translate into then being hating adults…

If you aren’t part of the tribe of that day, you will be soylent green.

Look at Greta’s face. It was the face of hate.

Now picture that kid as a Prime Minister of Canada.
That hate nevers leaves…
They will find a new enemy

#88 Jager on 09.26.19 at 8:20 am

90% Of Plastic Waste Polluting Earth’s Oceans Comes From Asia and Africa

“While westerners are being told to alter their lifestyles and have fewer children to save the planet, virtually nothing is being said about or to the people in the countries responsible for the vast majority of pollution.”

#89 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 8:52 am

#80 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.26.19 at 1:17 am

And best thing:
Have not seen an F-150, yet.
___

Come on Ponzie – you know pretty much the only market on the planet for full size pick up/SUV personal commuter vehicles is the USA and Canada right?

So, it don’t matter where you go – you’re going to see near zero personal transportation F-150’s. EXCEPT in the USA and the country you’ve chosen to live in…

#90 Gravy Train on 09.26.19 at 8:57 am

#54 Blackdog on 09.25.19 at 9:49 pm
[…] Also note that your benefit will increase for every year you wait to start collecting past age 60 until you reach age 70. Roughly, a 65 year old starting to collect CPP today, getting maximum benefit, would receive about 1150 per month, a 60 year old would receive approximately 38% less and a 70 year old would receive approximately 42% more.” You’re overlooking the fact that the 60-year-old will start with $49,746 more than the 65-year-old, and with $116,845 more than the 70-year-old (assuming funds can be invested at 6%).

Here’s the math for the first comparison:
$713 x ((1 + 0.005)^60 – 1) / 0.005 = $49,746

“Keep in mind as well that CPP is indexed to inflation, something our personal investment portfolios are not.” With CPP indexed at 2% inflation, the 60-year-old will start with $52,147 more than the 65-year-old, and with $127,978 more than the 70-year-old.

Here’s the math for the first comparison:
$713 x ((1 + 0.005)^60 – (1 + 0.00167)^60) / (0.005 – 0.00167)

“Just some things that are good to think about before one decides to just go with someone else’s general advice to always take CPP at age 60, no exceptions.” Conclusion: Always take CPP at age 60, no exceptions. :)

#91 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 9:10 am

#72 DON on 09.26.19 at 12:39 am

…and when I was 16 I knew a helluva lot.
___

I got ya beat there – when I was 16, I knew EVERYTHING.

#92 Stan Brooks on 09.26.19 at 9:24 am

The Greens sucking off $15 billion a year taxing your RRSP transfers

What did I say about your RRSP folks?
It ain’t yours…

Counting down the days to liquidation…

#93 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 9:28 am

#71 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 12:29 am

Perhaps “firm, forceful, phallus” would be better.
____

Depends – could just as easily be “floppy, flaccid phallus” :)

Speak for yourself. Let’s leave it there, shall we? – Garth

#94 Stan Brooks on 09.26.19 at 9:30 am

When the parliamentary budget office came back with that unexpected tally, the party had to adjust its budget, May said, including taxing financial transactions at 0.5 per cent instead of 0.2 per cent.

According to the costing, that tax would bring in $18 billion a year by fiscal year 2024-25.

Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society….
Pay up folks!

#95 Sail Away on 09.26.19 at 9:36 am

#80 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.26.19 at 1:17 am

Am in Vienna, Austria right now.
Best place on earth for sure.
Gorging on Wiener Schnitzel and Sacher Torte.
Getting around on a fantastic public transport system.
And my, is it clean.
And best thing:
Have not seen an F-150, yet.

—————————————–

Are the streets full of junkies? That’s one of my biggest complaints about Canada.

#96 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 9:36 am

#63 VicPaul on 09.25.19 at 10:51 pm

___

Tesla S with Ludicrous Mode did 2.4 0-60’s years ago.

Musk says the new roadster will do 1.9’s (yikes! – we’ll see…).

#97 PIERRE Provost on 09.26.19 at 9:36 am

Suggestion: Why not add links to your calls on the right hand side of your page. Thank you for all the work you do.

#98 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 9:44 am

#93 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 9:28 am

Depends – could just as easily be “floppy, flaccid phallus” :)

Speak for yourself. Let’s leave it there, shall we? – Garth
___

Shame, I’m an alliteration monster.

I already had a couple more real zingers cue’d up :).

#99 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.26.19 at 9:46 am

#89 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 8:52 am
#80 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.26.19 at 1:17 am

And best thing:
Have not seen an F-150, yet.
___

————–
My comment was tongue in cheek.
I know we live in God’s country.
On the 8th day, he created the F-150.
Actually, today I saw a Mercedes Pick Up Truck in Vienna.
Pretty wimpy, though.
No self respecting Albertan would be caught behind the wheel of one of those.

#100 Stan Brooks on 09.26.19 at 10:17 am

#88 Jager on 09.26.19 at 8:20 am

Of course. The current most popular narratives in the ‘developed’ societies are mostly invented as to help in maintaining order in an environment of ever-declining-standard-of-living of the average citizen here as the emerging markets equal us in economic development and some already surpass us in quality of life of the middle class.

The narratives are broadcasted by the MSM, politicians, NGOs and indoctrinated within/by the school system to a degree of complete brainwashing and inability to understand and react to the reality.

Producing headless or drunk chicken/sheeple.
Good luck in competing with that.

#101 dharma bum on 09.26.19 at 10:28 am

#95 Sail Away

——————————————————————-

But they are all Apfelstrudel, Puncschkrapfen, Kardinalschnitte, and Mohnzelten addicts.

They are not the problem, though.

Despite the cosmopolitan sophistication of Vienna, everyone there still behaves like a rural Austrian boorish peasant.

#102 Trump is Toast on 09.26.19 at 10:33 am

Anyone not seeing this unravelling in front of us today is blind or just dumb. To all the Trump boosters in the comments section, you dudes are just completely unhinged.

Garth, any advice in particular for the coming collapse of the American president?

Maybe reduce US portion of ETFs?

#103 CPP and defined Benefit on 09.26.19 at 10:40 am

For those with a defined benefit plan, you might want to crunch the numbers before taking CPP early.
Back in the days when CPP was created they did a thing called bridging, meaning If you retired at age 60 your defined pension plan bridged your pension till you received CPP. Confused yet?
Here’s my example, I rounded for simple presentation
Right now I get $5,000 a month pension
4,000 pension and $1,000 bridging which disappears when I am 65 and get CPP of $1,000 per month. So therefore there is no change to income. Which is the purpose of bridging.
If I take CPP at age 60 I get a reduced benefit for life of say $650 and at age 65 I loose the bridging of 1,000 a month. So a net loss of $350 a month at 65
So if you have a defined benefit plan be careful and investigate.
In my own case I figure if I put the reduced CPP into a TFSA and withdrew the difference in the bridging of $350
1,000 minus reduced CPP of 650 at age 65 I would not exhaust the invested reduced CPP till well into my 80s.

My point everyone is different as pointed out above, seek professional assistance. If you invest the reduced CPP then I believe you are better off if you have a defined pension plan.
Just my thoughts in this debate.
Good luck and happy retirement.

#104 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 10:41 am

#99 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.26.19 at 9:46 am
#89 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 8:52 am
#80 Ponzius Pilatus on 09.26.19 at 1:17 am

And best thing:
Have not seen an F-150, yet.
___

————–
My comment was tongue in cheek.
I know we live in God’s country.
On the 8th day, he created the F-150.
Actually, today I saw a Mercedes Pick Up Truck in Vienna.
Pretty wimpy, though.
No self respecting Albertan would be caught behind the wheel of one of those.
___

Benz actually does make a Truck that us rednecks would love to own called the “Unimog” – but it’s rare as hen’s teeth, and cost a mint. It is one sweet machine though!

#105 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 11:00 am

@ IHCTD9 #93

re: “Depends – could just as easily be “floppy, flaccid phallus”

True that. Almost as bad as “withered, worn-out, womb”

Yes Garth, I know, enough. But you started it.

#106 Sail Away on 09.26.19 at 11:10 am

#101 dharma bum on 09.26.19 at 10:28 am
#95 Sail Away

——————————————————————-

——————————————-

Haha- really, what can you expect with such low prices and safe consumption sites on every block!

#107 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 11:13 am

@GravyTrain #90, see my other comments, not just the one you focused on. The decision to take CPP at age 60 or not, is not as simple as you make it out to be. There is no one size fits all answer.

#108 Remembrancer on 09.26.19 at 11:15 am

A cautionary tale of the regrets of unintended consequences – say pairing shared equity home ownership with 30 year amorts anyone?

#109 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 11:19 am

@GravyTrain, more food for thought?

#110 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 11:28 am

@Gravy Train, Here’s another article you may find interesting.

#111 Jesse on 09.26.19 at 11:32 am

“GTPRENUP”

After watching families fall apart, and men get raped and robbed in divorce trials and losing their home, child support, and alimony for life (yes guys, this still happens) – why the hell would any man choose to get married today? yes, we’ve all seen the trends, marriage rates are falling, does anyone still question why? There’s a reason millennial men aren’t getting married, and it’s fear of divorce rape. Also, add on to that the fact that women can’t find any eligible men to marry (that’s code for they don’t have enough money). Women outnumber men in university, and are out-numbering men today as new hires…men are becoming obsolete.

#112 Don Guillermo on 09.26.19 at 11:43 am

#48 Don Guillermo on 09.25.19 at 8:53 pm
Can’t believe we’ve got to post 44 and no one has said “awesome car”!!
******

*******************************************

Porsche makes beautiful machines. Driving them is incredible. I’m on my second. Can’t waite to see the Taycan when it hits our showroom. Too rich for my blood but would like to test-drive.

#113 Sail away on 09.26.19 at 12:09 pm

Hey SunShowers, here’s a rebuttal to the corporate greed you feel is overtaking the world:

“Gravity Payments CEO Stuns Employees with Immediate $10,000 Raise”

Or maybe this is all part of a devious conspiracy to deflect from the corp’s true nefarious-ness?

#114 conan on 09.26.19 at 12:09 pm

NANOS: LPC 36, CPC 34, NDP 15, GP 10 , BQ 5 PPC 2

Add in the soft support from NDP and Green voters in the Blue vs Red battlegrounds and,

Liberal Majority.

Scheer must be freaking…

#115 Barney on 09.26.19 at 12:25 pm

“Kottick suggests the signs are pointing to a balanced market for Vancouver.”

HAHAHA, affordability is non-existent in BC, they’re leveraged out the wazoo (negative savings rate), but it’s a “balanced” market.

#116 Damifino on 09.26.19 at 12:41 pm

#87 expat

Look at Greta’s face. It was the face of hate.
————————————-

No it wasn’t. It was the face of parental abuse, mental illness, and highly organized Eco-extremism.

That doesn’t make it any better, though.

#117 Flop... on 09.26.19 at 12:43 pm

O.k , so I got the Quebec inquiry out of the way.

Next question:

I am not attached to the French side of things as you guys, as I don’t speak French, despite once living in France, one of the oddities of my life.

It wouldn’t bother me, might get better candidates…

#118 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 1:00 pm

One last comment on the ‘to take CPP at 60 or not’ debate and then I will shut up.

What makes this a uniquely personal decision is that each individual must factor their particular financial goals into the equation, and from there determine whether or not those goals being met is dependent on the age at which they start receiving CPP benefits.

For example, one person’s goal might be to ‘win’ by ensuring he doesn’t miss out on any dollars in case he croaks early.

Another’s might be to ensure they have X amount of dollars per month for the rest of their lives, and in return for that assurance are willing to accept that an early death means they might not see any CPP. They won’t care because they’ll be dead.

#119 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 1:02 pm

ooops…typo…should have been “For example, one person’s goal might be to ‘win’ by ensuring they don’t miss out on any dollars in case they croak early. “

#120 bdwy on 09.26.19 at 1:12 pm

#45 Flop… on 09.25.19 at 8:48 pm
I know for sure I’m not from around here but how do you guys say Quebec?
—————————-
in french its more the hard ‘k’ sound
in english its ‘que’ bek

either way, unless you can properly profess devotion to st hubert, as an anglo they wont like you much in la belle prov.!

#121 MF on 09.26.19 at 1:13 pm

114 conan on 09.26.19 at 12:09

MF

#122 PastThePeak on 09.26.19 at 1:19 pm

#111 Jesse on 09.26.19 at 11:32 am
… Also, add on to that the fact that women can’t find any eligible men to marry (that’s code for they don’t have enough money). Women outnumber men in university, and are out-numbering men today as new hires…men are becoming obsolete.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I see quite a few articles like this these days, and it further convinces me that the public at large – or at least anyone in the media that writes such articles – have had their brains removed.

It has been a progressive (biased) policy for decades in the West to improve the education prospects for females vs males, from JK through post-secondary. The results are in – females are dominating university graduates now (at around 60%). For those math challenged, it means that 40% of graduates are male (think of the media horror stories today if the reverse were true…).

A result, which should come as no surprise to anyone (although it seems to be a surprise to everyone and millions of $$ are spent on studies) – younger single women are out-earning men on a % basis now.

It should be victory lap time in the media and feminist circles. They have won! Women of this younger & single cohort are better educated and paid than their male peers.

But that isn’t what we hear. Woman still (for some reason no doubt the result of the evil Patriarchy) want to marry someone of equal or higher education / salary. They can’t find (enough) of them. And who is to blame? Men of course. They are too lazy.

And of course the government, media and NGO focus is to increase the number of females in STEM programs as they are still under represented in that last bastion of “male dominated” education. Once that is done, and female university graduates are 65% or higher, there will be even further complaints about women finding suitable men – and that men need to “step up”.

You can’t make this stuff up. Is it any wonder more & more people are saying “stop the world, I want to get off…”.

#123 conan on 09.26.19 at 1:19 pm

-Yeah and according to Nanos Trump only has a 5% chance of winning the presidency. MF

He is being generous.

#124 Tannhäuser Gatekeeper on 09.26.19 at 1:47 pm

“How do you guys feel about voting for a federal leader that only speaks English?”

I respect every voter’s right to choose.

But I do question the seriousness and/or intelligence of a unilingual candidate. French isn’t that hard to learn. Quebec is 23% of House of Commons seats, and — because many ridings there change their allegiances — counts for even more in the electoral calculus.

Still, we’ve had leaders who’ve been eloquent in both languages, passable or nearly unintelligible in one or the other, and one who was intelligent in both but mellifluous in neither. And then there was Ignatieff, soporific in both…

As far as I know, nobody’s yet shown up who could do five minutes extempore in Cree…

#125 NJS on 09.26.19 at 1:58 pm

Voted early yesterday.
Nominations aren’t complete yet so I got to pencil in who I was voting for: “none of the above”.
Fingers crossed.

M39AB

#126 Sail away on 09.26.19 at 2:28 pm

#102 Trump is Toast on 09.26.19 at 10:33 am

Maybe reduce US portion of ETFs?

———————————————-

Step back from the cliff Toastie. This has been predicted continuously for years.

By the way, have you noticed the way the letters in ‘mainstream media’ can be rearranged to spell ‘gullible’?

#127 NoName on 09.26.19 at 2:29 pm

Interesting read,

“The collapse of WeWork was big – really big. It marked the end of the “Age of Illusion.”

By “Age of Illusion,” I am talking about the fantastical “This Time is Different” thinking that brought together the hubris-filled worlds of Silicon Valley and Wall Street. That by being bold and “breaking things and moving fast,” even ten-headed ladies in the side show could attract capital.”

#128 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 2:29 pm

#111 Jesse on 09.26.19 at 11:32 am
“GTPRENUP”
___
IMHO, we’ve got the newly empowered career Women, and fading Men of today running smack into their DNA programming. The rules have recently changed for the Women of the West, they are educated, gainfully employed, and no longer “need a Man” just to remain alive like they did in centuries past.

For 99.9% of Men and Women who have ever existed on this planet, there were co-habitation “rules”. If Men wanted sex and kids, they had to work for them. Food, money, house, security and more. Women were the “gatekeepers”, those who “stuck to the rules” with resolve lived to pass on their gate keeping genes to their children. Those who did not, had few, or no offspring. IMHO – the gatekeeper strategy was the most successful in raising offspring into adulthood, so these genes are what we see as most prevalent, and hard at work with the Women of today.

Women no longer need to be gate keepers, but they are still inextricably programmed to select their life long partners the same way their line of mothers always have. These criteria manifest themselves as what said Women find attractive in a mate. Security, a stable income, a nice house etc… are still on the contract as always, even if the Women themselves already have all that covered.

I get a kick out of some of these studies which reveal that even several of the physical parts of a Man’s body which apparently many Women find extra alluring are “working parts” ie: Hands, Shoulders, back, or symbolic of power like chest, biceps etc… I read a thread a while back where Women were trying to explain to the Men reading what a handsome Male looks like to them. Several of the Ladies agreed “a beautiful horse” was a good way to put it!

Guys, do you ever get the feeling you’re only around to get the work done? lol

Now look at Men. All their DNA ever told them to do was to impregnate Women at all costs, and that there shall be no limit put to the quantity of blood, sweat and tears shed in the attempt.

The underlying problem today is almost assuredly the ease at which Men can have sex with Women in modern society. It’s too easy, no rules, means no obligations. Don’t need to own a nice house, have a degree, or make a bunch of $$. A Tinder account and a great profile pretty much cover what used to require a lifetime of commitment and buckets of money and sweat. Wonder why Men are fading in the West? They don’t have to be any better than Women require them to be.

Women only have one shot at collectively setting the rules Men must abide by, there is no changing them once the younger Women start offering the same deal. This is where we are in the West right now. If Men HAD to work, and earn just to even have a chance at sex/kids you can bet many of them would do just that. It’s exactly what they are programmed to do – to move mountains. But they just don’t need to these days…

#129 Remembrancer on 09.26.19 at 2:33 pm

#117 Flop… on 09.26.19 at 12:43 pm

The math is fairly simple – looking to appeal to and being able to converse with a block of voters in 78 ridings (give or take, not counting primarily Francophone areas outside of PQ including NB, parts of ON, etc nor substantially Anglophone ridings in Que) out of 338 seats makes sense…

Likely wasn’t the only thing in Kevin O’Leary’s way for instance, but…

Ontario 121
Quebec 78
BC 42
Alberta 34
Manitoba 14
Sask 14
NS 11
NB 10
NF & Lab 7
PEI 4

I agree though (easy to say as an Anglo), an otherwise highly qualified candidate should be considered as an electable operation would also have French language tutors and a strong Quebec lieutenant if they knew what they were doing…

Now here’s the truth test: what about a French-speaker with fair-to-middling English who was a top notch leadership candidate and both Canadian and Canadien. How would you feel about voting for that person assuming a supported platform?

#130 NoName on 09.26.19 at 2:39 pm

Here it is TCC in his basement.

#131 jess on 09.26.19 at 2:46 pm

BEFORE THE FEDERAL ELECTION COMMISSION

=========================

Danske Bank Executive Ensnared in Money-Laundering Scandal Found Dead

===============
hum reminded by

In January 2014, the body of William Broeksmit, 58, a high-ranking Deutsche Bank executive, was found hanging in his London flat from a dog leash tied to the top of a door.

Jail Asked for Ex-Deutsche Bank, Nomura Staff in Paschi Case
By Sonia Sirletti
and Sergio Di Pasquale
May 16, 2019, 10:10 AM EDT Updated on May 16, 2019, 12:02 PM EDT

Seizure of funds sought from Deutsche Bank, Nomura in case
Allegations involve false accounting, market manipulation

Monte Paschi got involved in risky derivatives that took heavy losses during the financial crisis of 2008. The esteemed bank, founded 20 years before Christopher Columbus crossed the Atlantic, was being investigated at the time of Rossi’s death for its handling of billions in these risky derivative bets involving Deutsche Bank and Merrill Lynch.

#132 Gravy Train on 09.26.19 at 2:52 pm

#109 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 11:19 am
“@GravyTrain, more food for thought?”
https://www.moneysense.ca/columns/ask-moneysense/cpp-at-age-60-the-best-option-for-a-lower-income-earner/ I’ve read the article. No mention is made of the time value of money, so the author may be subject to money illusion.

#110 Blackdog on 09.26.19 at 11:28 am
“@Gravy Train, Here’s another article you may find interesting.”
https://blog.wealthbar.com/cpp-sooner-or-later/ I’ve read this article, and this one does discuss the time value of money. The author concluded that age 60 beats all if a man’s ROI is 9.5%, and a woman’s ROI is 10%. I suppose it all comes down to your life span and your ROI. Full disclosure: I took the CPP at age 60. :)

#133 Sail away on 09.26.19 at 2:54 pm

#116 Damifino on 09.26.19 at 12:41 pm
#87 expat
Look at Greta’s face. It was the face of hate.
————————————-
That doesn’t make it any better, though.

——————————–

No to both of you. It was the face of a young girl who feels absolutely certain her message is critical to her life and the lives of others.

She feels she’s doing the most important and useful work a person can do.

#134 n1tro on 09.26.19 at 3:03 pm

#128 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 2:29 pm
#111 Jesse on 09.26.19 at 11:32 am
“GTPRENUP”
___
———
What a great time to be a (single) guy!
^someone had to say it, mind as well be me.

#135 Sail away on 09.26.19 at 3:11 pm

#21 Sail away on 09.25.19 at 6:36 pm
#12 Ray on 09.25.19 at 5:45 pm

————————————–
————————————
Wha…??
————————————

#38 Ray on 09.25.19 at 7:39 pm
#21 Sail away
Invest in a better calculator 1.23^15=22.3
Dividend investors look forward to red days.

————————————–

Ray, I was trying to be nice so you could recheck your numbers without embarassment, but ok, let’s go with your assertion:

Yes, if the dividend is raised by 23% per year, the annual dividend in 15 years would be $13,000.

Or said another way, your stock would be worth $10,000 and your annual dividend would be $13,000.

Cuckoo… cuckoo…

#136 jess on 09.26.19 at 3:38 pm

the “tripe” speaks for itself:

sec rules regulatory framework
hear from 5 commissioners regarding regulatory views etc Is the SEC fullfilling it’s mission as the wall street cop
protecting pensioners enrichment , regulation gaps, notify investors corp buybacks , wrongful gains,punish bad actors facebook libra

Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Jay Clayton testifies before the House Committee on Financial Services during a hearing on the oversight of the SEC.
SEC Chairman Jay Clayton testifies at House hearing on SEC oversight – 09/24/2019
=============
decline of public markets

…”victims of Allen Stanford’s Ponzi scheme have received. According to Posey, 21,000 victims of Stanford lost over $5 billion but have received only 4-1/2 cents on the dollar in restitution. The Stanford Ponzi scheme collapsed and Stanford was arrested over a decade ago. According to Posey, the receiver has recovered just $750 million of the $5 billion and half of that amount has gone to the receiver and his team in compensation. Even worse, said Posey, the receiver recently used his authority to bar individual investor claims against the banks that potentially aided and abetted Stanford.

#137 Sold Out on 09.26.19 at 3:51 pm

There certainly seems to be ample evidence in the steerage to support the arguments in this article…

#138 Russ on 09.26.19 at 5:43 pm

Sail away on 09.26.19 at 2:54 pm
#116 Damifino on 09.26.19 at 12:41 pm
#87 expat
Look at Greta’s face. It was the face of hate.
————————————-
That doesn’t make it any better, though.

——————————–

She feels she’s doing the most important and useful work a person can do.
==================

Greta seems sincere enough.

I recall the times as a young lad were powerful fears about nuclear wars. I expect some were even frightened to death by adult messages, leading to suicide.
Decades ago during this time I have marched to city hall in the company of a group of students to protest bomb testing at Amchitka Island.

Not all rich white guys hate her, of course.
Sailing Anarchy provides many fans.

#139 Don Guillermo on 09.26.19 at 6:46 pm

#129 Remembrancer

*******************************************

Chretien was great! Justin … horrific!

#140 DON on 09.27.19 at 12:10 am

#46 MF on 09.25.19 at 8:53 pm

34 crowdedelevatorfartz on 09.25.19 at 7:28 pm

-Lol good. I’m not surprised.

We actually agree on a lot.

MF
****************

It is true…they are agreeing in principle. The apocalypse must be near.

#141 Jimers on 09.27.19 at 12:15 am

Yah, saw some where somebody wanted would give me a free furnace, an electric furnace, I’ll keep my old gas one thanks.

#142 DON on 09.27.19 at 12:17 am

#91 IHCTD9 on 09.26.19 at 9:10 am

#72 DON on 09.26.19 at 12:39 am

…and when I was 16 I knew a helluva lot.
___

I got ya beat there – when I was 16, I knew EVERYTHING.
******************

Gave me a good chuckle. Wouldn’t expect anything less. Now if you could spare some time and help me diagnose a crank no start on my 95 gmc sierra.

#143 Zero Emissions on 09.27.19 at 10:25 am

@#72 Don,

“…when I was 16 I knew a helluva lot.”

But now you’re 17 and more circumspect, right? :)