See thee rise

We spend as much time as possible in the little town on the ocean. Last summer Iain and Yvonne, Shawn and Jace built a small addition to our 150-year-old wooden house, faithfully in the same style. Town hall contacted us when it was done to say thanks.

A couple of weeks ago, during the 266th birthday of the place, with a clot of people crowded around the bandshell in the old parade square (and before a giant cake was carved up), the mayor gave us a Heritage Award. She made a speech about the people who landed down on the shore in 1753, and mentioned that her family had been on one of the boats.

This may give a hint as to why this is a good place to spend time. The tourists wandering around the harbour and thronging the stores, galleries and waterfront cafes are fun – Bandit loves the attention he gets – but it’s the depth of this small society that endures. On the first Canada Day, this Town was 114 years old.

So I bought a stone bank on the main street (and mentioned this here a year ago). After tearing out the BeeMo wickets, ATMs and night deposit box, it was restored to its 19th Century floorplan. Now it’s a satellite branch of my Toronto-based business. My employees on Bay Street have to travel 53 floors into the clouds of a bank tower, high above the gridlock. Here they work one block from the harbour, in a little fortress with a vault and a dome. We had some extra space, so I donated it to the community. Now those running a sea school and a documentary film festival are colleagues, and there’s a young sculptor in the basement. The former BMO server room is now a studio, and smells deliciously of wood chips.

Two days ago some folks showed up to hoist the 30-foot-long maple leaf flag that flew above the Peace Tower. On this Canada Day it graces the façade of the bank building, covering the windows and bathing the interior in pink. The day that flag came down from the top of Centre Block I was an MP. Walking onto the floor of the House of Commons, being elected twice in my life, was a singular moment. Nobody stays cynical after that.

Well, the 1753 descendants in a small place on the sea (one Tim’s, no traffic lights) extended their hands. The award now hangs outside Dorothy’s spiffy new laundry room (with a harbour view). Glancing at it helps remind what the country means. We’ll do it together.

#1 Yukon Elvis on 07.01.19 at 1:28 pm

Hunka hunka burnin’ love Canada.

#2 oh bouy on 07.01.19 at 1:33 pm

haha, love the humble brag garth.

Shall I make things up, instead? – Garth

#3 Russ on 07.01.19 at 1:34 pm

We send best wishes on this Canada Day to Dorothy, Garth & Bandit.

And to all the good Blog Dogs. Good boy.

From a little harbour town, on the West Coast.

Cheers, R & M

#4 Long-Time Lurker on 07.01.19 at 1:39 pm

Happy Canada Day, everyone!

#5 I'm ... on 07.01.19 at 1:42 pm

all in. Love this place.

#6 BobC on 07.01.19 at 1:42 pm

You have a reason to brag. Well done.
Any more pics of the town you’d care to share?

#7 oh bouy on 07.01.19 at 1:45 pm

@#2 oh bouy on 07.01.19 at 1:33 pm
haha, love the humble brag garth.

Shall I make things up, instead? – Garth
____________________________________

you could.
wouldn’t be out of place in this comments section. :)
happy Canada day.

#8 Flop... on 07.01.19 at 1:56 pm

Canada.

My home and un-native land.

You be good to me, I’ll be good to you…

#9 tccontrarian on 07.01.19 at 2:00 pm

One Tim’s? No drive-thru, I hope!

***

Happy Canada Day!

#10 Flop... on 07.01.19 at 2:07 pm

Garth, I’ll show you how serious I am about this hunger strike.

Gonna throw my Australia Day cake in the bin.

Been in the fridge since late January…

#11 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.19 at 2:50 pm

Happy Canada Day!

I just popped by work and my neighbor’s business has been broken into.
Non emergency line…. 10 minutes on hold.
Police on the way…..
Life in the big city……ugh.
Enjoy the small town Garth.

#12 ShawnG in TO on 07.01.19 at 2:56 pm

is someone gonna start a bakery in the old BeeMo? i wanna see some dough in that vault.

oh yes, Happy Canada Day all !

#13 From Vancouver on 07.01.19 at 3:07 pm

#9 Flop:
I really enjoyed your Old posts with the research into decreasing house prices in Vancouver and for a while you were actually the reason I kept coming to this blog… so I have a great deal of respect and appreciation for your posts (and dry humour).

I just wanted to say that I have been in hunger strike for the last six months for 23 hours per day and on the 24th hour I eat a lot.

And it’s working very well for me and I dropped over 30 pounds and was the easiest way to slim down and lose weight I have tried.

And apparently it is very healthy and good for you and it also reads you off viruses and bacteria and even some cancer cells they say through
And regulates your blood sugar and strengthens your liver and may even get rid of diabetes or insulin problems if you have .

My problem before was that I could not go to sleep being hungry so now I eat a lot in the evening and then I go to sleep and sleep like a baby and it is much easier not to eat the rest of the day when I am working and busy and my mind is occupied. So eating once a day worked in my case as long as I eat in the evening only .

I drink one coffee in the morning and that is OK and I keep shedding the pounds regardless of how much I eat in the evening.

I came up with it myself, not knowing that there is a whole community of people who are doing this, and when I went on YouTube and I looked for videos I saw that there is a whole movement called OMAD (one meal a day) or intermittent fasting .

There are several doctors that do research in this field one of them being Dr. Fung, a Canadian doctor specializing in kidneys.

Maybe you’ll find this useful in someway, as I did your posts and comments .

#14 Keith on 07.01.19 at 3:17 pm

Happy Canada day to host Garth and all the blog dogs. So much to be grateful for.

#15 Bonhomme Carnaval on 07.01.19 at 3:22 pm

Happy Canada Day!

Cheers,

#16 Happy post-national day to all people kind. on 07.01.19 at 3:35 pm

LGBT etc is all good but how about transspiecies people.
I always felt like a jack rabbit inside and one day I’d like to become one.

It’s time to stop all the racism against rabbits and other creatures of the transspiecies kind.

Enough is enough.
I have strong bucked theeth and can bite like hell if you grab my furry tail again.

Time for another glass of delicious carrot juice.
Stay clear of transspiecies-phobes everyone.

#17 50 YEARS OF MAPLE LEAF INCOMPETENCE! on 07.01.19 at 3:39 pm

Thank you for reminding 416ers and 905ers how sublime life can be in Real Canada, Garth.

Get out while you can, GTAholes.

#18 Dolce Vita on 07.01.19 at 3:41 pm

Viva Garth for all that you are, have done and will do.

WHAT a country and WHAT a people.

Viva Il Canada!

#19 Tyberius on 07.01.19 at 3:47 pm

Happy Canada Day all! It’s also MY birthday so please forward any Royalties my way, if you’re so inclined… :)

#12 From Vancouver

I’ve been doing a less intensive version of IF (a 6-hour eating window, between 10am and 4pm – weekends I ‘cheat’ as much as I want).
I lost 12 lbs over 2-3 months, effortlessly (was 192, now 180, on a 5’8″ frame).
Probably the best thing about it all is that I only have to worry about ONE meal – which frees up a lot of time for other things!

#20 gimme stuff on 07.01.19 at 3:52 pm

Thought Garth went all trump on us???

===========
Request a free flag online

#21 akashic record on 07.01.19 at 3:55 pm

“Our homeland is where we live and where we make our living.” My Mom

G_d bless her soul and G_d bless this beautiful native land.

#22 OHhh Yeahhh on 07.01.19 at 4:04 pm

Oh yeah canada day is great when you’re a privileged white conservative man. Thanks for reminding us Garth.

#23 Mike on 07.01.19 at 4:05 pm

“We’ll do it together.”

Day by day, I’m seeing the splinters, the cracks in the veneer. I doubt that before my time is up that Canada will be the same as it is today, as it was when nationalism was something to be proud of, not what it is portrayed as today.

It’s a shame. This used to be a great country.

#24 Pfft on 07.01.19 at 4:08 pm

@#16 50 YEARS OF MAPLE LEAF INCOMPETENCE! on 07.01.19 at 3:39 pm

Get out while you can, GTAholes.
_________________________________

sshhhh, the adults are talking.
back to the kiddie table for you.

#25 Pfft on 07.01.19 at 4:12 pm

@#22 Mike on 07.01.19 at 4:05 pm
“We’ll do it together.”

It’s a shame. This used to be a great country.

_________________________

cheer up Mike, Canada is indeed a great country.
Maybe change your circle of friends or something.

#26 Alberta Ed on 07.01.19 at 4:13 pm

Hats off to you and Dorothy! Happy Canada Day!

#27 Yukon Elvis on 07.01.19 at 4:25 pm

Well. I guess this about says it all.

#28 Not 1sr on 07.01.19 at 4:26 pm

Canada day was celebrated with its usual enthusiasm in the west but this time with trepidation. If you know who isn’t voted out or at least neutered by a strong CPC minority you won’t be celebrating it again in a couple yrs. this is not a bluff or posturing. It’s real and the wheels will be set in motion in 3 short months unless Canadians wake up.

#29 Pfft on 07.01.19 at 4:36 pm

@#27 Not 1sr on 07.01.19 at 4:26 pm
__________________

LOL

#30 Cici on 07.01.19 at 4:38 pm

So endearing…thanks for caring and for sharing such special moments and memories. Those are the only ones that can make us truly rich.

#31 Reality is stark on 07.01.19 at 5:00 pm

Restoration with representation.
That is what I call a Tea Party.
Perfect place for a business.

#32 Spock on 07.01.19 at 5:02 pm

Happy Canada Day to Garth and family and all the readers.

God bless Canada and all of you. The time spent with family and loved ones and helping out the needy may be the best return you can ever get on your time and money.

#33 Gregg and Susan on 07.01.19 at 5:07 pm

Hi Garth, Susan and I will be in your neck of the woods July 15th to July 17th. Vacationing from Kelowna BC. Hope to drop in for a short visit. Thanks for all the great work on our portfolio and happy Canada Day!

See you then. – Garth

#34 LP on 07.01.19 at 5:11 pm

Nice post. Thanks!

L

#35 AGuyInVancouver on 07.01.19 at 5:22 pm

#21 OHhh Yeahhh on 07.01.19 at 4:04 pm
_ _ _
Canada Day is also a great day if you’re a Syrian family who fled civil war. Or a gay Chechen man give refugee status here. Or a Filipino woman given a path out of poverty with a job in Canada. Or a Pakistani given the opportunity to use your tech job skills here when you were shut out of the USA, or…..

#36 NorthOf49 on 07.01.19 at 5:26 pm

Well done Garth! You should be proud. Make sure the 150 yr old abode has adequate smoke detectors. Can’t risk losing ya, I need my nightly read! ;) Me, I blazed the trails today at Kelso. Conquering the Niagara Escarpment both ways seems like the right thing to do on Canada Day. Cheers Everyone!!!

#37 Mike on 07.01.19 at 5:28 pm

#24 Pfft on 07.01.19 at 4:12 pm

I don’t need a new circle of friends. I have great friends! I never said Canada didn’t have wonderful people, it does. However, our country is wrapped up in self absorbed narcissism fueled by feelings, likes and tweets. Thought provoking and heated debate is now dead.

I’ve never before witnessed so many corporations bowing to fringe groups, afraid to offend the alt-whatever. I’ve never before seen foreign interests so heavily involved in our political and economic landscape. And I’ve never seen the vitriol you now see online with any remark outside of populist group think being labelled as hate speech.

We’ve reached peak society. The time of Western dominance economically is on the downward trajectory and while I admire Garth’s determination to stem the tide of financial stupidity, it’s too late.

#38 Lost...but not leased on 07.01.19 at 5:43 pm

Garth…

maybe submit all the tax write-offs eligible for via the show of public- minded benevolency(not that there is anything wrong with that.)

#39 Bob on 07.01.19 at 5:51 pm

You’re a sentimental old fart at heart….

#40 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.19 at 6:04 pm

@#15 Post National People
“how about transspiecies people…..”
++++

I always thought the “all men are pigs” statement pretty much covered the trans-species portion of society.

@#37 Bob.

Now yer talking my language

#41 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.19 at 6:06 pm

@#26 Yukon Elvis

Hilarious!
Snubbed by China AND Brazil…..ahahahahahaha.

#42 TurnerNation on 07.01.19 at 6:08 pm

I’m going to ‘accuse’ Gartho of living in a bubble. A damn good one. Here in my post national state densification camp we are devolving..and fast.

Canada’s Wonderland the family theme park requires metal detector searches going in.
CNE shut down its long standing Free day for youth after incidents a few years ago.
The Raptors victory parade resulted multiple violent outbreaks
Few years ago at Labor day fireworks at the Beaches was biggest police presence I’ve seen since G20 here

My point is…our future. ..our youth can’t even congregate without devolving into animals.

Imagine that..decades of civilization and nation building is destroyed. The wild west is back. This time streamed on snapchat.

We got -20 weather and million dollar homes but ample free benefits and health care. Best place to come?

#43 Nice Bank on 07.01.19 at 6:09 pm

Happy Canada Day, and you too Mr. Bank President. I see you have been listening to the Mamas and Papas in times gone past. Your dream indeed came true, and live the good life forever, because it sure looks like a paradise to me with style and class.

#44 Lost...but not leased on 07.01.19 at 6:47 pm

FROM 2012…..how prophetic !!!

The Myth Of The Cool-Headed Discretionary Seller – “I think that’s one of the reasons why the Canadian housing market is likely not going to have a hard landing because you’re not going to have a lot of motivated sellers – people aren’t going to be forced into it by rising interest rates or declining employment so they can take their time and wait for the market to stabilize.”

COMMENT from above

There have been many stories that served to stimulate Vancouver’s RE mania. The most prevalent latter day myth appears to be that of the discretionary seller. We are all invited by many commentators (bankers, realtors, commenters on the blogs), to imagine the cool-headed seller deciding that, no, this is not the right time to sell, and backing off, biding their time, waiting serenely for the next leg-up in the market; in calm and comfort, perhaps next to a fire with a good book; no hurry, no urgency whatsoever.
I believe that this construct is complete hogwash.
I’d submit that, in the vast majority of cases, once an owner has made the decision to sell, they start the mental preparation for unloading that property. They move into a position where they disinvest themselves of the idea of ownership, and a clock starts ticking.. they have a building desire to convert that asset into cash, to ‘get out’ of the market. In a market where prices have barely budged, but sales are weak, they may be able to convince themselves that a more robust time for sales is just around the corner, so they may take their property off the market. But make no mistake, they remain very much in the ‘sell’ mode, they have their finger on the trigger, and they are waiting to unload. There is no intense urgency at that point; more a mode of expectation, of anticipation of coming action. Imagine now how that group of wannabe sellers responds when prices take their first substantial step down. Suddenly comparables are selling for 10% or 15% lower, and for lower prices than offers they themselves rejected 6 months before. Do these sellers remain cool? Well, a few may, but, here’s the point, a majority will not. They will experience new-found urgency, and many will rush to market. And only a few of them have to do anxious deals for prices to suddenly find themselves 20% to 25%-off the peak. And then more owners holding shadow inventory will respond, and so on. This is how speculative manias unwind.
The other side of all of this is, naturally, the buyers. There will always be some buyers, of course, at each step of the descent, but not enough to rescue the market; not enough to plateau it or take it to new highs. We won’t see a rerun of 2009 (although some of the early buyers will be “buying the dip”, in anticipation of a 2009-type rebound). Buyers will dry up because prices are falling. Yes, but won’t falling prices increase demand? asks the economist. Yes, falling prices increase demand, when those prices are falling from reasonable levels to cheaper levels such that the asset for sale looks like a good deal based on its fundamental value. But, when assets are at stratospheric prices, when people have been overextending themselves to buy at prices that are 2 to 3 times those supported by fundamentals, when people have been buying only because they anticipate future price strength, the dynamics are very different. People stop buying because their premise for buying (“prices will rise”) goes away.
Thus a powerful self-reinforcing system of price increase turns into reverse, and prices collapse. Falling prices beget falling prices. If that seems circular, that’s because it is. A ‘virtuous’ cycle turns ‘vicious’, and by this mechanism price drops that few have anticipated come to pass. Perhaps 2013 will be the first sharp leg down.
– vreaa

#45 Flop... on 07.01.19 at 7:01 pm

This is traditionally one of two days of the year when we don’t usually whack each other across the backside with the blog bamboo.

Christmas being the other.

Someone at number 12 said something nice about me efforts on here and for that I am grateful.

Is Canada Day like Xmas where most of the important stuff happens in the morning and during the day and the night seems like any other weekend evening?

Just wondering, don’t want to get sent to this blog’s headmasters office for the blog bamboo.

Because nothing says Canada Day to me like a post on U.S unemployment benefits…

“The United States of Unemployment Benefits: Here’s What You Need to Know in 2019.

The first half of 2019 has yielded some optimism for the U.S. economy. For example, unemployment is near its lowest point in about 50 years. At the same time, the U.S. economy has experienced the longest period of sustained economic growth ever. However, recent concerns about slower wage gains and a global economic slowdown raise the question of how long the flourishing economy will continue to last, and what the consequences will be for individuals who lose their jobs if the economy turns sour. Our latest visualization highlights how unemployment benefits differ from state to state, including how much an individual can receive in unemployment payments and for how many weeks they can be received.

Each state has its own way of calculating the maximum unemployment benefit payment that a person can receive.

Some states, like Georgia and North Carolina, set the maximum number of weeks someone can receive unemployment insurance benefits based on the unemployment rate of the state.

The maximum number of weeks that a person can receive unemployment benefits ranges from 12 weeks in Florida and North Carolina to 30 weeks in Massachusetts.

Compared to the rest of the country, states in the Southeast tend to have lower maximum weekly unemployment payments.

All maximum benefits data comes from each state’s Department of Labor, and average figures can be found in the U.S. Department of Labor’s database. In the visualization, the numbers in the pink circles show the maximum number of weeks that an individual can receive unemployment benefits in a state. The dollar amounts in each state also show the maximum weekly benefit payment amount. To highlight overall trends, each state is also shaded in green, with lighter green indicating lower maximum weekly payments and darker green indicating higher maximum weekly payments.

Top 5 Maximum Unemployment Weekly Payment Amounts

1. Washington – $790
2. Massachusetts – $769
3. Minnesota – $717
4. New Jersey – $696
5. Connecticut – $631

Bottom 5 Maximum Unemployment Weekly Payment Amounts

1. Mississippi – $235
2. Arizona – $240
3. Louisiana – $247
4. Alabama – $265
5. Florida – $275

Across states, the most common way to calculate the unemployment benefit amount is to use a percentage of the individual’s base period earnings. The Maximum Benefit Amount (MBA) is either the maximum number of weeks multiplied by the person’s Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA), or a percentage of base period earnings; whichever is lesser. However, some states like Iowa and Pennsylvania have additional variations based on if the unemployed person is married or has dependents.”

1 July 2019
Visualization

#46 Nonplused on 07.01.19 at 7:05 pm

53 stories doesn’t sound like a big deal but it really cuts into your smoke break, even if there is an “express” elevator for part of the ride.

#47 Out Of Work CEO, Will Travel on 07.01.19 at 7:07 pm

On my now deceased mom’s family side her dad’s french family roots go back to the 18th century and the weird part was meeting and settling down with a Jewish wife in Newfoundland? It goes back to the Jewish migration to London in the early and mid 19th century. The volume on the Canadian Preferred etfs seem “meagre” …is there a minimum an investor should consider before buying the Canadian Preferred etf market? The other choice being Canadian reits where they are all close to their market highs for the year. For years this blog and the media’s unrelenting and continuous “prophesy” has been doom and gloom for the “overindebted consumer” and their tapped out credit cards….is now the time to buy Canadian reits or have I missed that boat too?

#48 John A on 07.01.19 at 7:11 pm

Visited your little piece of paradise on the coast a few weeks ago a charming little place. Happy Canada Day

#49 dakkie on 07.01.19 at 7:19 pm

Will Trudeau LOSE The Election? – Approval FALLS As Economy WORSENS

#50 Spiltbongwater on 07.01.19 at 7:25 pm

That is not a safe way to stand on a ladder. No 3 points of contact, and facing wrong way. Do they not have a workers compensation board in Nova Scotia?

Some days this blog never fails to disappoint. – Garth

#51 Linda on 07.01.19 at 7:31 pm

Happy Canada Day! Canadians are a fortunate lot. Take a moment to feel gratitude. Even the cynical & grumpy can find something to feel grateful for if they try:)

#52 Enrique Fuentes on 07.01.19 at 7:33 pm

We have been in Canada since 1968 and worked hard for 43 years everything we have and may family has. We are not privileged of any kind. We contributed and continue to contribute to Canada and want everyone to do the same. This is true less and less in Canada in 2019 not like back in 1968.

So far Canada has been a great place to live and raise my family but I am concerned that Canada will be stolen by the same communists, socialists of my native Chile back in 1970 to 1973. We left just in time as my grand parents warned us as they fled Argentina to move to Chile.

People, you better wake up and keep Canada as great as it is because you can lose it and everything you own. My best friend which I met in the 1990’s at work left Romania after Communism there. Don’t believe the lies of no limits and equality and free stuff, social programs with no limits, hating others for being financially better off because that is how it all starts and we all will become equally poor. JFK had it right. It is not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

#53 Yukon Elvis on 07.01.19 at 7:35 pm

#40 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.19 at 6:06 pm
@#26 Yukon Elvis

Hilarious!
Snubbed by China AND Brazil…..ahahahahahaha.
…………………………

Same thing happened to me at my first G-20.

#54 Geoff on 07.01.19 at 7:37 pm

Happy Canada Day to you, Dorothy and Bandit! Always appreciative of the time you spend on the blog.

#55 Remembrancer on 07.01.19 at 7:42 pm

#24 Pfft on 07.01.19 at 4:12 pm
@#22 Mike on 07.01.19 at 4:05 pm
“We’ll do it together.”

It’s a shame. This used to be a great country.

_________________________

cheer up Mike, Canada is indeed a great country.
Maybe change your circle of friends or something.
——————————-
Maybe what’s got him down is that Mike’s circle of friends wised up and changed their’s instead…

#56 crowdedelevatorfartz on 07.01.19 at 7:44 pm

@#49 Splitbongwater
“Do they not have a workers compensation board in Nova Scotia?”

+++++

Ahhh yesssss,
The 3 point ladder stance…..
Invented by people shit scared of heights no doubt.
The nanny state must intervene at every step.

The things we used to do legally while washing windows on high rise buildings in the 1980’s would make your hair curl….but I digress.
I always laugh at the “3 point ladder stance” when someone is working 2 feet off the ground.
How the hell are you supposed to do ANYTHING while using one hand to hold on to the ladder.
My god.

Better put the pot away Bongwater…. because what ever you do after inhaling besides breathing…….is probably dangerous…..like sitting 2 ft off the ground when your on the toilet.

#57 Remembrancer on 07.01.19 at 7:51 pm

#34 AGuyInVancouver on 07.01.19 at 5:22 pm
#21 OHhh Yeahhh on 07.01.19 at 4:04 pm
_ _ _
————————–
+1 up vote on that AGuyInVancouver…

#58 suburban coyote and pup on 07.01.19 at 7:56 pm

Happy Canada Day blog dogs!
Garth, the lad and I are in your lovely town July 3rd. Would love to say hi and give a treat to Bandit if you are around. Your reno sounds amazing.

Shanna P

In town that morning. Fly out in the pm. See you then. – Garth

#59 newbie dog on 07.01.19 at 8:17 pm

off topic but…..

looking through House Sigma, saw a house that sold for 40% less than what they paid for

54 Boothbay Crescent, Newmaeket, ON

Feb 2017 sold $1,150,000 (peak GTA hysteria?)

May 2019 sold $663,000

Lost $487,000 (before commision) -42%

#60 Man of the Cloth on 07.01.19 at 8:20 pm

Happy Canada Day Garth and family.
The blog never fails to inform and entertain.

#61 newbie dog on 07.01.19 at 8:26 pm

it gets better……

53 Summer Heights Drive, Toronto,ON

April 2017…. $2,800,000

May 2019……..$1,715,000

Lost……………..$1,085,000…-39%

#62 Canadian Moose on 07.01.19 at 8:35 pm

Happy Canada Day. Yup that’s how this country was built, “together”. So blessed to live in this fine country. Would love to move to a smaller town but the Canadian Moose parents still around. They need my help and I am the dutiful son.

Congratulations on your award Garth!

Cheers from the Hinterland

#63 just a dude on 07.01.19 at 8:44 pm

Great post.

Happy Canada, Garth. Again, thank you for all that you’ve done and continue to do.

Look forward to joining you out in the Maritimes in the not too distant future. Beautiful part of this great country with some of the most genuine, caring fellow Canadians I’ve ever met.

All the best!

#64 Flop... on 07.01.19 at 8:54 pm

O.k Sports Fans, I know Canada and Toronto in particular have had basketball mania recently and I’ll try to give you a stat that will blow your mind.

The city of Melbourne, Australia has had 3 number one draft picks in the last 11 years.

Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons and Andrew Bogut were all born in Melbourne where basketball ranks low on the list of preferred sport choices.

Irving is about to get 140 million for 4 years for throwing a piece of rubber around.

Bogut won the NBA championship a little while back with the Warriors and was back in Australia playing when he answered the call to come and help out his old teammates when they got into injury trouble late in the year.

Simmons also should be about to get a ridiculous payday.

Irving and Simmons American fathers were in Melbourne for basketball reasons when their sons were born.

Simmons now represents Australia and Irving decided to represent Team U.S.A.

Now for the tie in.

I’ll probably botch it as I have no writing skills.

What I’m try to show is that even decades later, these men are successful but their parents weren’t necessarily needy immigrants when they were Australia.

People move around the world for all sorts of reasons.

I looked at the citizenship ceremony tonight on the news, it naturally bought back memories of my own day in the spotlight a while back.

As regaled on here, for some people from U.S , U.K and Australia, it was not that big of a deal.

For others, total relief, biggest day in some of their lives, some from Africa, Middle East, Eastern Europe and Asia.

We were at the same ceremony but it means different things to different people.

To myself, I was just happy to be with my wife, a little bit less paperwork going forward and a little easier to plan for the future.

Life has not changed that dramatically, for others at that ceremony, no doubt, a key moment all their life, family safety a key point for most.

I’ve spoken about this before but people still have images of every immigrant coming here in rags with 5 cents to our names.

I was already here on a work visa, life happens, and then you’ve got a decision to make.

It’s never been easier to move around the planet for work, travel, visit family, etc, stuff happens and you have to answer the question…

Do I want to live here?

I answered yes, others get on a plane.

It is easier to migrate from certain places but at a certain stage we all have to ask ourselves another tough question…

Why am I doing this?

Some people feel they had no choice, others like myself feel like they were spoiled for choice.

Was this post a slam- dunk?

Probably not…

#65 Arto on 07.01.19 at 8:57 pm

Your a good man, Garth. Even if you are wrong about what caused prices to go up in Vancouver.

#66 Caledon dave on 07.01.19 at 9:01 pm

Happy Canada Day!
Happy Dominion Day!
Happy to be a proud Canadian.
Canada is the best place to live and the best country in the world!
Everyone else in the world knows this….except the Americans.

#67 ottawan on 07.01.19 at 9:02 pm

Lunenburg is the kind of town that my friends and I recognized when we were pre-teens. I moved away in 1955. Even at that time we all said that we would come back to live in Lunenburg when we were old. I haven’t made it. But about 6 years ago, I went back and contacted one of my old friends who was then living in Halifax. When I arrived she had 5 friends of mine that I knew in the 1950’s over for tea. It was grand and so nice to meet true Lunenburgers again! They love to laugh and are some of the most friendly people in Canada. Yes, I was at the shore where the original settlers came to land when they celebrated their bicentennary in 1953! You have truly moved to God’s country Garth!

#68 Yuus bin Haad on 07.01.19 at 9:26 pm

I love the East Coast. Get the car tuned up Mother; it’s time for a road trip!

#69 Russ on 07.01.19 at 9:58 pm

Spiltbongwater on 07.01.19 at 7:25 pm

Some days this blog never fails to disappoint. – Garth
—————————————————————–

Hey Split,

This image on the front page is a good representation of how men use a ladder.

The safe way now is for you to go to a desk, any desk, and STFU.

Perhaps you can contribute to society better if you try to only influence children. May god bless their souls.

Cheers, R

#70 Edward Bear on 07.01.19 at 10:59 pm

Happy Canada Day Garth
Being able to live in a peaceful, safe land with pleasant neighbours who help one another are privileges not everyone gets. Sounds like you are a “come from away” who has fit right in. It is a lovely spot.

#71 PastThePeak on 07.01.19 at 11:30 pm

Happy Canada (nee Dominion) Day Garth, Doug and Ryan (and Bandit of course – Alfie says hi…), from the fair lands of Eastern Ontario! I am not one to do the obligatory suck ups often, but do want to express my thanks and gratitude to you & your team for maintaining this blog and (sometimes with a shudder…) comments section. You are a true Canadian, exemplifying community service & historical preservation.

My ancestors came here back in the 1840s, a bit after your town was founded, but still predating this Dominion, which I am hopeful will continue. Perhaps, someday, I will live to see honour and integrity again become part of our public service…

#72 Freedom First on 07.01.19 at 11:35 pm

Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians!

Freedom First

#73 Ponzius Pilatus on 07.02.19 at 12:23 am

Thanks for trying to restore some historic buildings to their former glory.
The sad part is: No one gives a shit.
As the posts affirm.
That’s why I love visiting Europe.
They just rebuild and restore, like Dubrovnik.
Remember: If you don’t know where you’re coming from, you don’t know where you’re going.

#74 Wackedbc on 07.02.19 at 12:49 am

Great post, and thanks for making small town Canada better. We moved out of Vancouver to Chilliwack, and never looked back. Small Canada rules.

#75 Spaccone on 07.02.19 at 12:51 am

Meanwhile in my GTA suburb that I’ve been in for many, many years I couldn’t pick out 99.9% of my neighbours out of a lineup even if you put a gun to my head.

Zero community life, feel or vibrancy. Really an absolute waste of life living in these hinterland bedroom communities unless you have some sort of independent social network you can reach via car.

#76 Fortune500 on 07.02.19 at 1:17 am

Careful with your talk of decedents from 1753 still being there. This sounds dangerously Anglo-white supremacist an noninclusive. And I myself am offended and need a safer place to read things. Hopefully Google will soon work its magic …

#77 Smoking Man on 07.02.19 at 1:28 am

In all our sons camand.

Canada ain’t Canada anymore. A nation of loyal subjects.
The king use to be England, look what the globalist did to that country. Your next. God bless Q

Drop to your knees Canada and kiss the ring of the globalists.

You gave never been free. You are natinon of the owned.

Escape before it gets worce.

#78 The Great Gordonski on 07.02.19 at 1:28 am

#79 Smoking Man on 07.02.19 at 1:43 am

Oh Canada the land of cowards and the sucks ups.

True patriot, the coward that cant flick the middle figure to being owned crazy people. It’s in our hearts camand.

With glowing hearts we drop to our knees to new taxes.

We smile alot because we are afraid to smoke a cigarette.

I’ve put my faith in Trumps America. Where hard work is rewarded.

Happy Canada day suck ups.

#80 MaryEn on 07.02.19 at 2:20 am

Happy Canada Day, everyone! Great job Garth and thank you for all you effort and contribution to this beautiful country.

#81 Smoking Man on 07.02.19 at 2:23 am

Desert rats.

Nictonies bitches.

#82 Dolce Vita on 07.02.19 at 4:11 am

This is when you appreciate what a wonderful country Canada is vs. some of the dysfunctional things that come out of the EU. Macron on the recent “NGO” Sea Watch debacle (speaking out of both sides of his mouth, as usual) concludes:

“Matteo Salvini, on the question of migrants is not acceptable”

Macron forgot to mention that he has CLOSED ALL French ports to NGO’s a very long time ago. Salvini responds that in the future Italia will forward on NGO ships with “Migrants” to Marseilles (a double entendre by Salvini, recall the name of the French national anthem…it’s a Romance Language thing).

Forget Marseilles, I say. Forward them on to Saint-Tropez, Nice or Cannes where the French elite go to frolic if you want to see action (use Translate Tweet):

What the French do to NGO themed ships on foreign soil (Greenpeace’s Rainbow Warrior in 1985):

…why I suspect NGO’s will not barge their way and ram coastal guard ships into a closed French port.

———————————————

In small part the above is why Canada ROCKS by comparison to the BS you get out of, and in the EU…well unless Halifax harbour is hosting a persona non grata NGO themed ship the French dislike (or Chinese magnates the Americans dislike).

Otherwise, down right pastoral.

#83 Captain Uppa on 07.02.19 at 7:30 am

I was semi-close to uprooting to Lunenberg about four years ago. Beautiful place from what I can gather, never actually visited but would love to.

Still, I am happy where I am. Life is good. Health is everything.

#84 Classical Liberal Millennial on 07.02.19 at 7:39 am

#21 OHhh Yeahhh
– – –
Found the Antifa incel!

#85 Ladders on 07.02.19 at 7:57 am

Regarding the fellow on the ladder and concern about his safety, buddy beside him is there to stabilize the ladder and to catch him. And if those window sills are 10 feet above the ground, buddy on the ground is a big boy and is no doubt able to catch the man on the ladder. People looking out for each other and helping – what a concept.

Speaking about people in high places, we are all indebted to Garth Turner (You can stop reading this now GT) for his public service and his continued service to all Canadians. Some may not know this but as a former MP and cabinet minister (for about 15 minutes), the always-Right-as-far-as-I-am-concerned, Honourable (no really) Garth Turner receives a pension and donates his pension to charity; in this same vein, his daily blog has helped this sad sack and many others to see the light when it comes to all things financial.

And he does it in this great country in which I thank my lucky stars I was born. Happy Canada day to all and to the rest of the world, may there be more Canada in your future. We have always been dreamers in this country. No less a writer than Stephen Leacock believed that the USA was going to top out at a population of 60,000,000 and then to be eclipsed by Canada. Funny guy but with climate change, structural deficits, and the absurd parade of buffoons holding public office in the USA, we may well see Leacock’s prediction come true.

#86 TurnerNation on 07.02.19 at 8:30 am

Our forum host might have broken the commandment of ‘living below the radar’ with this post.
There’s a chance that building will be appropriated for a ‘safe’ injection site or center for migrants.
Or at least torn down for the sake of Colonialism.

This country is no longer safe.

Think I’m joking? This is what the kids are being taught and the Castro Broadcast Commission is selling.
Kicking ‘bums’ err I mean homeless err I mean “Street connected” people off public park benches using design is…

“How ‘defensive design’ leads to rigid benches, metal spikes, and ‘visual violence’ in modern cities”

– Hear me now, believe me later: Canada is no longer safe for us.

#87 dharma bum on 07.02.19 at 8:41 am

Nothin’ cooler than living in a small historically significant enclave by the sea.

Beauty.

You do good work.

I’ve been holed up in Kingston over the Canada Day weekend. A wedding, none the less. Argggghhhhhhh.

What’d I miss?

#88 dharma bum on 07.02.19 at 8:47 am

#74 Spaccone

——————————————————————-

Same dismal experience here in the GTA suburbs.

Trying to convince the wife to move to a small town.

Maybe it’s too late.

Next stop…nursing home?

Well, I guess we’ll get the sense of community there.

While my diapers are being changed by burly attendants.

60 is the new 90.

#89 dharma bum on 07.02.19 at 8:56 am

#45 Nonplused

——————————————————————–

Or, to save more time, you can just stick your head out of a window, and make sure you hang onto something so you don’t get sucked out.

#90 James on 07.02.19 at 10:13 am

#76 Smoking Man on 07.02.19 at 1:28 am
In all our sons camand.
Canada ain’t Canada anymore. A nation of loyal subjects.
Drop to your knees Canada and kiss the ring of the globalists.
You gave never been free. You are natinon of the owned.
Escape before it gets worce.
________________________________________
#78 Smoking Man on 07.02.19 at 1:43 am
Oh Canada the land of cowards and the sucks ups.
With glowing hearts we drop to our knees to new taxes.
We smile alot because we are afraid to smoke a cigarette.
I’ve put my faith in Trumps America. Where hard work is rewarded.
Happy Canada day suck ups.
____________________________________________
Just returned from the cottage where we have spotty cell service and it was a blessing in disguise. Had a great Canada day celebration with my brothers and their family. Just checked on the Garth’s daily words of wisdom and see this pathetic excuse for a human spewing garbage about Canada again. What is his problem with Canada?
Jesus Christ Old Man if you are the best that America has to offer then the red, white and blue is doomed. I’ll stick here thanks and raise my family. You have put your faith in Trump? Good luck with that. Trump is riding the marked increase that the previous administration created. That is all there is too it. Just the same as what the previous administration inherited from the Bush years, except that Obama inherited a complete economic collapse. My grandfather (A proud Canadian) fought in World War II house to house to liberate Ortona Italy and move up the Adriatic Coast to take the entire country. His brother landed at Juno Beach on D-day and died there. Over 1 million Canadians volunteered to serve in World War II and 42,000 never returned. My Uncle served as a peace keeper in Yugoslavia. We all toasted to my grandfather’s great life, my uncles and all of the great Canadians who have contributed to this land this weekend as we set off fireworks to celebrate our country. I’m glad that you left Canada Old Man as you are the dog crap that we here scrape off our shoes. So never come back here and enjoy your new country.

BTW: Why exactly where you back here last week? Everyone on the blog was guessing it had to do with Canadian Health care?
You are a sad pathetic hypocrite Old Man. If your grandchildren heard you I’m guessing they would all be ashamed of the things you say about Canada and Canadians. Please renounce your citizenship immediately.

#91 MF on 07.02.19 at 10:44 am

88 dharma bum on 07.02.19 at 8:47

That’s your reality, but not everyone’s.

My parents have a pretty vibrant community life in their gta suburb where I grew up.

Any changes are 100% the result of house prices and people trading quicker than they used to in my opinion.

Not culture.

MF

#92 Phylis on 07.02.19 at 10:46 am

Ontario has mandatory training required for employees that are working at heights. (Yep the second rung of a nanny ladder counts) You are obligated to ask anyone working for you if they have been trained. Love it or hate it, yep that’s your government hard at work (but not from heights).

#93 IHCTD9 on 07.02.19 at 10:53 am

#75 Spaccone on 07.02.19 at 12:51 am

______

That is a sad state of affairs. When I see new folks moving into my ~500 population village, I make a point to stop by when heading out to the trails on the almighty Grizzly 700 SE for a quick intro. We have a little Pizza joint in the hood, so the line waiting for your pizza to get done also becomes a place where chatter starts and introductions are made. Not always a lot of conversation with those 5 doors down, but always a lot of waves and nods, even from those you’ve never said a word to but you know each other from sight as locals.

#94 Leo Trollstoy on 07.02.19 at 11:22 am

#75 Spaccone on 07.02.19 at 12:51 am

Not knowing your neighbours says more about you than the neighbourhood

#95 Dog Breath on 07.02.19 at 11:26 am

Canada Day – one of the few days in the year when you are allowed the be proud of your country with its history, traditions, and culture without being labeled a settler-colonist or a white supremacist or a racist. Happy Canada Day!!

#96 Flop... on 07.02.19 at 11:27 am

I like the hoof.

Why anyone would enjoy eat plant based protein is Beyond Me…

“The Hottest IPOs in 2019: What if You had Invested $1,000 When They Went Public

For this article, we look at the performance of the biggest unicorn IPOs as mentioned by a recent Business Insider article. By comparing the opening IPO price with the price listed on Yahoo Finance as of June 25, 2019, we see a wide range of performance.

“Unicorn” is a term used in venture capital to describe a startup company with a value of over $1 billion

Unicorns are going public at an unprecedented rate in 2019 due in part to demand for high-growth stocks

Long-term unicorn performance is mixed, with companies both gaining and losing in market value since their IPO

More big-name unicorn IPOs are coming this year, including Airbnb, Uber and Postmates

In finance, a “unicorn” is a real thing: it’s a privately-held startup valued at over $1 billion. What makes these companies so special to deserve the title? Traditionally, a company generally needed large amount of resources to grow to such a valuation — it went public to open up new sources of financing. But today, a company can grow to massive size with very few resources. This is especially true of tech.

The 5 Best-Performing Unicorns

1. Beyond Meat: $3,274 (227.39%) – IPO Date: 5/2/2019
2. DocuSign: $1,311 (31.13%) – IPO Date: 4/27/2018
3. Zoom: $1,308 (30.82%) – IPO Date: 4/18/2019
4. PagerDuty: $1,293 (29.31%) – IPO Date: 4/11/2019
5. TradeWeb: $1,199 (19.94%) – IPO Date: 4/4/2019

The 5 Worst-Performing Unicorns

1. Snap Inc.: $605 (-39.46%) – IPO Date: 3/1/2017
2. Lyft: $733 (-26.67%) – IPO Date: 3/29/2019
3. Dropbox: $827 (-17.34%) – IPO Date: 3/23/2018
4. Spotify: $869 (-13.10%) – IPO Date: 4/3/2018
5. Slack: $914 (-8.57%) – IPO Date: 6/20/2019

So, if companies don’t need the funding, why are they going public? A few theories exist: maybe these firms are seeing the overall strong performance of the stock market and want to get in “on a high note,” before the next recession. Maybe they are looking to fill a demand in the marketplace for stocks with potential for faster growth.

Or maybe it’s just “groupthink:” All the unicorns are going public because “that’s what all the cool unicorns are doing.” We’ve seen an episode where highly-valued, tech-centered stocks go public end very poorly: the dot-com bubble.

Some point to the disappointing performance of early unicorns like Snap and Dropbox as signs that the unicorn bubble has already burst. That may be an unfair assessment, but so would the expectation that all unicorns perform strong after their IPO. Historically, 60% of companies have had negative returns after their IPO. It’s too soon to say for sure, but our small sample of unicorns is doing better than that.

So, which companies will deliver value long after Day 1? For that, we might look to the highest-returning stock, Beyond Meat. Not a tech company per se, Beyond Meat has disrupted a market with its innovative meat-substitute products. The unicorns that can deliver unique products to unexpected markets will be the ones which live “happily ever after.”

2 July 2019
Visualization

#97 James on 07.02.19 at 11:52 am

#95 Dog Breath on 07.02.19 at 11:26 am

___________________________________________
It was and still is a Happy Canada Day! My father still calls it Dominion Day but what do I care as long as we celebrate it. We had a flag on our flagpole at the cottage that was two sizes bigger than it should have been. I think I’m going to leave it up all year as we retired the old one in the spring.

#98 Sean on 07.02.19 at 11:53 am

Garth, did you see this one? They took a 150k loss not including any taxes or fees. Market ain’t the same in the GTA anymore, tons of relisted properties at lower prices. One for the blog!

#99 IHCTD9 on 07.02.19 at 12:00 pm

#88 dharma bum on 07.02.19 at 8:47 am

Same dismal experience here in the GTA suburbs.

Trying to convince the wife to move to a small town.

Maybe it’s too late.

___

Keep trying with the wife…

Back when I was in College I lived smack down town in a big student City. It was traffic noise and stink 24/7. Cleaning out the trash that passers by tossed in the back of my truck every morning got old fast too.

I ran into a displaced local in my travels in Toronto a couple years back. He couldn’t wait to leave.

Don’t waste any time..

#100 IHCTD9 on 07.02.19 at 12:40 pm

#22 OHhh Yeahhh on 07.01.19 at 4:04 pm

____

You needed a reminder?

We must be slipping off our game…

#101 James on 07.02.19 at 1:07 pm

#67 ottawan on 07.01.19 at 9:02 pm

_______________________________________
Agreed the people down there are the most friendly Canadians you could ever run into. Had to go to a meeting there once a few years back. One of the people we had a lunch meeting with left his brand new iPhone on the table at a restaurant called the Grand Banks bar and Grill. He realized it when we got to the Bluenose Golf club. He called the restaurant and they said it was still on the table, no problem they would hold it but asked his name and where he was. Incredibly one of the servers came to the golf course and delivered it to him personally. My buddy offered this guy money and or anything he wanted such as drinks and a dinner on him. The server said no thanks just figured your new phone was important to you and didn’t want your day to be ruined. Will never forget this guy and how honest and hard working he was. What a nice guy and for that matter most of the people there are all like this guy.

#102 Small Town on 07.02.19 at 1:20 pm

#88 dharma bum – Its never too late, and your downfall with the wife is obvious. You simply haven’t done the research that can show her something to get excited about. Talking about it will not convince anyone to move, but to demonstrate hard facts with videos, pricing, property listings, goods and services, and lower cost of living will convince her. Its all a matter of using a different methodology to obtain a desired outcome.

#103 crazyfox on 07.02.19 at 1:51 pm

Feeling quite blessed to have been predestined to be a Canadian, the cup is half full, we are fortunate! Happy holidays everyone!

#104 Bob Dog on 07.02.19 at 1:53 pm

Just a matter of time until “Investors” acquire the east coast as well. Of course it will be done with the help of the criminal money laundering organization some losers refer to as the Government of Canada.

#105 Barb on 07.02.19 at 3:59 pm

Great story, Mr. T.
Glad the mayor appreciates you as much as we do.

#106 Marco on 07.02.19 at 5:15 pm

Well, what is exactly, nationalism? And what is a genocide?