Country moist

Enough of Vancouver. Ditto Toronto. It’s hopeless. Inflated real estate. Subdued wages. Escalating taxes. Tough to carve out a balanced, stable, secure life in such money-sucking places. Especially if you’re young, single and craving some liberty.

This brings us to Cathy, 27, over-educated, under-paid and, above all, rural.

“I know most of your readers are in the GTA and Vancouver,” she says, “but I’m hoping you can give some advice to young(ish) readers who choose not to live in those cities.

I am single, have a masters degree, am employed in my field, and live in a rural area 2 hours southwest of Toronto (Norfolk County). I am aggressively paying down my student debt so it will be paid off by Halloween, so no savings. I moved back home to live with my parents when I was close to finishing my masters because my boyfriend dumped me (we were going to live in the GTA). This arrangement cannot last forever, though, as kind as they are for letting me move back home. There is no rental market in this area, and if there is a rental unit available, it is either dilapidated or the same price as a mortgage, which I can’t maintain on my salary (so much for an education). GTA real estate agents are coming to our area and driving up housing prices for their Toronto clients who want more house for less money, leaving locals like me struggling. A small house that needs work will go for 250K or more. There’s nothing cheaper than that.

You always recommend renting, but what would you say to someone in my situation where that’s not possible? I need independence despite what people say about my generation. I really hope to hear back from you.

What kind of Neanderthal loser was he, Cathy? An educated, sensible, frugal woman with a taste for freedom, empathy for her parents and who, especially, reads this blog is a rare and beautiful thing. Maybe it’s best he left. Let him fall into the web of some floozy from Mimico.

Now, as to your dilemma. First, you can’t afford a house. Any house. Without savings the only way you can swing a downpayment is if you hit up your folks for one. And that means obligation, not independence. No matter what they say, there will always be an implied emotional debt. If you can avoid it, don’t go there. The bond you have with them will be stronger without those strings.

Even if you did have an extra twenty grand kicking around for a $300,000 property, it would likely be a junker requiring renos. The carrying costs (mortgage, taxes, insurance) would amount to $2,000 a month, plus utilities (and renovations). Plus, you’d have to pass the stress test (at 5.34%) in order to qualify for a mortgage. So this is a dodgy option. Forget it until your career turns out a bigger income

And do you really want to buy a place where jobs are thin for a woman with an MA? If that’s a lifestyle choice, fine. But remember selling in a secondary or rural market is no fun. It can take months and months and price appreciation on starter houses is scant. Not always a good investment choice.

Renting? Sure. You have freedom, flexibility, independence and get to save/invest your money at the same time – if you can keep costs under control. But you’re right. In the non-urban areas rentals are hard to find, with lots of competition keeping lease rates high. But they do exist. For example, current rentals include a two-bedroom house for $1,200 in beautiful downtown Delhi. Or a townhouse in Jarvis (not far too Hamilton) for $1,275. Or this place below in Tillsonburg (the place to be on a summer Saturday night), with a backyard, shop, patio and garage for $1,700.

Another option: rent from your parents. Pay them some serious money in return for whatever changes are necessary to give you a separate space and dedicated entrance. They get income. You get to stay in a place that works and are familiar with. You can control costs and stay investing for the future. And you increase privacy and independence. It could be the right compromise.

Just promise us you won’t reconcile with the wiener. He deserves the GTA.

#1 Leo Trollstoy on 05.17.19 at 4:09 pm

Cathy got pushed out but foreign buyers

It MUST be money laundering! Lol

#2 Feebird on 05.17.19 at 4:10 pm

All too familiar with her story.
Brantford to huntsville to PEC – prices being jacked up anywhere within 3hours of toronto.
I have sympathy for the locals in these places.

#3 Captain Uppa on 05.17.19 at 4:24 pm

Ah yes the abhorrent GTA.

Here we go again…

#4 NotLegalAdvice on 05.17.19 at 4:33 pm

Cathy, once your student debt is paid, start saving and investing. Live with your rents for another year or two, this will definitely get you ahead of the GTA moisters.

Garth’s advice about separate entrance, etc, is great!

#5 Where's The Laundry Greedeau? on 05.17.19 at 4:34 pm

Riddle me this:
You can deposit ANY amount of CASH into a bank account and it doesn’t trigger FINTRAC, just when taking >=$10k out?
Wow, just set up an account with fake ID and “your gold Jerry”, or your CASH is gold=cleaned. Just have to turn around and keep it under $10k withdrawals.
So banks are aiding and abetting the washing of laundry right in front of our faces?

#6 Frank on 05.17.19 at 4:36 pm

Realtors don’t set prices, buyers do. And guess what, if they buy they’re local too. Don’t blame a popular target because you’re poor.

Lastly, why do you think YVR and GTA are expensive and crowded? Jobs, jobs, jobs. Half of those lovely jobs the country added recently. Sure it seems smart to leave. Good luck working in butt fuck no where.

Cathy, you’re young you have no experience and just an education. Time to take a humility pill and know your worth. Move to where the jobs are and get 5 roommates in a 2 bedroom if that’s what it takes.

#7 Jimmy on 05.17.19 at 4:44 pm

Russians

#8 Brian Ripley on 05.17.19 at 4:52 pm

To afford housing in Canada, one must leverage one’s skill set in the better income producing jurisdictions. The latest household earnings data point to certain areas in Canada that are worth looking at:

FEB 2019 Provincial Earnings
​Average employment earnings in Alberta are 3% below their October 2014 $60,961 peak but are still:
11% above Ontario
13% above the national Canadian average
18% above BC and
20% above Quebec (no typo)

​​Since the Pit of Gloom in March 2009, average earnings are:
​Up 29% or 2.9%/yr in Quebec
Up 27% or 2.7%/yr Nationally
Up 26% or 2.6%/yr in Alberta
​Up 24% or 2.4%/yr in Ontario
Up 23% or 2.3%/yr in BC

My earnings & employment charts:

Education is an important ramp towards higher earnings and migration to those earnings may be required more than once in one’s life.

#9 Samuel on 05.17.19 at 4:54 pm

Right. Let the parents make changes to their home and disallow a portion of their tax free capital gain when they sell. And up your parents taxable income while you are at it by paying them rent.

It’s still a family home. – Garth

#10 peter on 05.17.19 at 4:58 pm

How long will it take for these Toronto workers to realize a 2 hour one way commute is idiotic? What happens then?

#11 PastThePeak on 05.17.19 at 5:12 pm

#6 Frank on 05.17.19 at 4:36 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Captain UPPA. Would you please tell Frank that he should not be speaking negatively of other places? Being very sensitive to what others say about the GTA, I am certain you do not want someone in the GTA disparaging someone else’s choice of residence.

Why, that would by hypocrisy…!!!

#12 Shawn Allen on 05.17.19 at 5:18 pm

HSBC cheap 10 year rate?

#187 % on 05.17.19 at 1:35 pm said:

HSBC offers 10 year mortgage in Canada for 3.24%.

…could be that themonly adjustment tomthe stress test will be if borrowers get a 10 year.

Game on…

******************************
Yep, it’s true!

“The former, HSBC, just announced a dazzling 3.24 per cent 10-year fixed rate. That’s the lowest 10-year fixed rate ever advertised by a lender in Canada, according to RateSpy.com data.” Globe and Mail

That is fantastic for borrowers. And it is silly that a stress test would be involved. It is locked in for ten years! Locking in for ten years does the job far better than meeting a stress test.

Absolutely fantastic!!

And if it prevents home prices from falling… Too bad!

I wonder how HSBC is funding this. Can they bring in 10 year deposit money at lower than 3.24%?

#13 Ryan on 05.17.19 at 5:21 pm

Hi Garth,

You’ve mentioned Ottawa as a city that is often affordable. But when I look at prices within the Greenbelt, they are not exactly cheap. I’m not saying they should be either. It seems the Ottawa real estate board reports on housing are slightly different in that they include condos in their price. Secondly, there is scant available below $600K within the greenbelt that won’t take an hour plus to get downtown in the morning. In any case it seems Ottawa prices have risen quite fast of late, we’ll keep living closer with a reasonable commute and rent. Just to note that traffic here during rush hour is as bad as Toronto in recent years (I’ve lived in both cities). I think Ottawa makes sense if you live and work outside well outside the downtown core in terms of affordability. Otherwise, considering property taxes I could make the argument that Toronto is actually on par with Ottawa in terms of cash flow per month. Thank you for the blog.

#14 Yukon Elvis on 05.17.19 at 5:24 pm

If Cathy was my daughter she would not be paying rent at my house. A sack of groceries once in a while would do it. For however long it takes, as long as she was saving for her independence and searching for a decent paying job.

#15 Linda on 05.17.19 at 5:25 pm

‘Cathy’ is correct that rural rentals are few & far between. Thus far more expensive than one might think given that they are outside urban surroundings, with (at best) a local corner shop/gas bar/small eatery nearby. None of the usual big city amenities that are ostensibly the reason why urban rentals are so expensive & desirable.

Still, she is employed & is focused on paying off the student debt. Staying with the parents & paying rent is an option depending on what the parents want. They may be looking forward to their chick leaving asap once the student debt is retired. As per Cathy, this staying with the parents is meant to be limited term & is a much appreciated helping hand.

Cathy wants independence & a place of her own. Maybe she also wants to live in the country rather than the big city. I’m wondering if the parents have a big, sub dividable serviced lot. I’m wondering if Cathy could purchase a serviced lot either from her parents or from some small town location for a reasonable sum. I’m wondering if Cathy has looked at pre-fab housing options (small space living) where a finished, winterized unit might be within her budget once she is debt free. With research & thought Cathy could end up with a brand new 400+ square foot home on a serviced lot that wouldn’t cost her more than renting would do. This of course presumes she’d want to venture into home ownership in the first place – but seems to me that a compact small space could be a source of rental income in a rural setting should Cathy move on. Or a very desirable property for older rural folks who want to downsize but still live in the country. Just saying.

#16 Andrea L. Sargeant on 05.17.19 at 5:25 pm

GREAT advice! Good luck Cathy, I hope you can negotiate this with your parents and continue to build on your future.

#17 East van forever on 05.17.19 at 6:10 pm

Nice lady came in my East Van shop this morning with her grandchildren. Widowed with a place in the states and cottage back east, she’d like to buy a small condo to live in half the year and be close to family. Her accountant told her about the “speculation” tax and she is now one of those not buying into this market.

#18 Captain Uppa on 05.17.19 at 6:43 pm

>>#11 PastThePeak

Why, that would by hypocrisy…!!!>>

Bang on, Peak. I wish this asinine debate over what city is better than what city would end.

It’s just a marching band to nowhere.

#19 blog bunny on 05.17.19 at 6:47 pm

Great advice to rent from the parents. She does not have to pay them rent. She could pay their credit card bill up to a certain amount for gas and groceries instead of taxable rent. How is that for income splitting ?

#20 Pete from St. Cesaire on 05.17.19 at 6:48 pm

It’s still a family home. – Garth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, wouldn’t it cause the family home to be considered a rental property? Especially if they added a separate entrance? Even if it wouldn’t change the home’s status now I bet the laws will change soon and they’ll wish they hadn’t done it.

#21 NoName on 05.17.19 at 6:54 pm

I was hoping that ill be ordering a book today, but that dident happend, so i did second best thing mowed my lawn. My guy now that i think of it is that thing thirsty, thurstier that my truck, i mean we are talking like fricken jet engine one gallon for every mile, yes i did a math.

But what is kind of puzzling is hairdresser fixation on splitting my unibraow, whats up with that, brad pit and Shakira and i dint see them being ignored…

How aboat we press play before weekend comes.

#22 NoName on 05.17.19 at 7:02 pm

How aboat we press play before weekend comes.

should read

brad pit and Shakira also have unibraow and i dont see them being ignored…

#23 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.17.19 at 7:11 pm

@#11 past the Peak

Speaking of “past the peak”
Two massive slides in less than a week just north of Whistler.
And NO I’m not talking about Vancouver real estate stats.
But I could be. :)

#24 Remembrancer on 05.17.19 at 7:13 pm

#19 blog bunny on 05.17.19 at 6:47 pm

#20 Pete from St. Cesaire on 05.17.19 at 6:48 pm
Yes, wouldn’t it cause the family home to be considered a rental property?
———————————-
Relax guys, she’s sharing family expenses. Adding a door to a house doesn’t make it a rental property – stay legit with code requirements / i.e. basement exit requirements though…

#25 MF on 05.17.19 at 7:16 pm

#10 peter on 05.17.19

Not long. That’s why GTA condos are so expensive. Location is everything.

MF

#26 Prairieboy on 05.17.19 at 7:18 pm

People always talk like you’ll never be able to find a job if you aren’t in the GTA or YVR. How do you think every other city in the country exists? Sure there are some industries where it will be easier but there are plenty of jobs in smaller cities for many industries. Might be harder to find a job if your only in the 50th percentile in your field….

I make 10-20% less than I would in the GTA but I also built a large house on 5 acres for 500k (including the cost of buying the land). Oh and did I mention my commute to work is 20 minutes?

#27 Nonplused on 05.17.19 at 7:27 pm

Cathy should rent until she “settles down”. For single people, owning a house or a condo often becomes a big liability when they decide to marry and have children. Chances are the house you have is not going to be the one you both want, so it’ll need to be sold along with all the costs associated with doing that.

Never buy unless you see yourself permanently in your current situation for at least 5 years. For Cathy that would take her out to 32 before she settles down and starts a family (assuming she wants one, maybe not). Considering the “window” starts to close at 35, that’s a long time. The acquisition of a suitable life partner is at this point a more pressing concern (assuming she wants one).

Back in the day I was dating a girl after I got divorced for about a year. I decided to buy a small bungalow because the basement suite I was living in wasn’t great for my 2 young daughters. So once the finances were settled with my ex I bought a place that had great potential for improvement and was suitable to suite the basement. And the place was half the distance to my girlfriend’s as the basement suite I was renting was, walk-able on a nice day. Know what happened? She dumped me. She said that buying a house was something we should do together and me buying alone looked to her like I wasn’t ready to move “forward” with the relationship, whatever that means. Oh well I made good money on that house when I sold it 6 years later. I did spend quite a bit of money putting in the aforementioned suite (job 1), a new kitchen and bathroom, flooring, a deck, fences, and a parking pad, but I did most of the work myself and paid $170,000 for the house and got $440,000 back out. But anyway that isn’t my point, my point is that owning a house can limit your dating potential. And then I ended up with a different girlfriend and eventually had to sell it anyway because it was too small. It worked out for me because I owned the house through the greatest meltup Calgary real estate had ever seen, but had that not happened I would have probably lost money on the renos.

Or take the sad story of my sister’s boyfriend. When he was single he decided to get into the condo market and bought a place close to his work. Then he hooked up with my sister and moved in with her and her 2 kids. Now he’s got this condo, I don’t know if he sold it or is renting it out, but it was a serious problem because he literally could not afford to sell it without taking a substantial loss, a loss he could not afford to cover.

So the bottom line is that when you are single, don’t be buying real estate on a thin budget. If it isn’t some sort of potential investment that can be converted to a rental or a fixer-flipper, it can kill either your dating potential or your pocket book, or possibly both.

When you are single, you should be foot-lose and fancy-free. Own nothing that doesn’t fit in your car. (Except for your motorcycle. Some things are non-negotiable. Well and investments in a Garth portfolio of course if you can. But those fit in your car, so perhaps that’s redundant.)

#28 Smoking Man on 05.17.19 at 7:31 pm

They’re getting you ready folks. Even Bloomberg is coming out of the closet.

Anyone want to know how the propulsion systems works.
Just ask me.

#29 acdel on 05.17.19 at 7:33 pm

#21 NoName

I have no idea on what you said, but the video link you included I must say was right up there with Garth’s Blogs! :)

#30 TurnerNation on 05.17.19 at 7:38 pm

I’m a Blog Dog – I reward myself with poor food choices.
Everyone lighten up in the US equity markets – shaky snakey.

#31 Millennial on 05.17.19 at 7:41 pm

Strange advises, Garth.

#32 acdel on 05.17.19 at 7:54 pm

Felix,

So sorry to hear about that stupid angry cat that finally placed us dog lovers out of misery by kicking the can. But hey, by the pic today looks like Felix will soon become an snack for Winnie the Poo! :)

#33 SW on 05.17.19 at 7:57 pm

#101 not 1st on 05.16.19 at 9:57 pm
“…Steel and lumber tariffs wont be removed from Canada either until we wake up. The minister of too tight dresses found that out in her trip to DC.”

Making such remarks about anyone’s apparel or personal appearance is a sign you’ve probably lost the wee bit sense you had. You can lose elections like this, people. Focus on the facts.

#34 yvr_lurker on 05.17.19 at 7:57 pm

It certainly seems sensible to live at home and pay rent (if the place is big enough and some privacy issues can be dealt with) , try to save, and work your way up the career ladder.

I would not worry one bit about the tax implications in this “family plan”. Pay the rent in cash, and fix the basement as needed. With the hordes of people renting basement suites to strangers charging top dollar (and not declaring it to the CRA), from speculators hiding capital gains on multiple principal residences, to money launderers etc all doing likewise, in our vast country, I would not have any problem sleeping at night with this “family plan” arrangement.

#35 SW on 05.17.19 at 7:58 pm

#31 Millennial on 05.17.19 at 7:41 pm
“Strange advises, Garth.
As a millennial, I suggest to find a good boyfriend, and things will get much easier.”

What s/he said. Good people are out there.

#36 Ace Goodheart on 05.17.19 at 8:16 pm

The 1700 a month Tillsonburg place reminds me of a little idea I had when I was younger that ended up panning out nicely.

I was over on the Island of Formosa (Taiwan to the rest of us). I rented a house.

On Taiwan that is considered pretty cool. Most people live in condo apartments. I had a backyard, four bedrooms, a shop, a large kitchen and an equally large cold room.

I needed a single bedroom. It was an expensive place to rent. So what to do?

Roommates!

Three bedrooms rented out, bringing in more than I was paying to rent the entire house.

I posted house rules with a cleaning schedule. Everyone had their weekly task, that rotated.

No one cooked (on Taiwan you can buy food prepared on the street for less than the cost of groceries so cooking makes no sense) so I rented the kitchen out to some ladies who provided food services to local businesses.

I rented the shop to a local guy who fixed air conditioners.

I rented space in the back yard to a business that needed to store parts for mopeds.

I found a fourth person who wanted to live in the cold room, and rented it to him.

So by the end of it all, I was making about three times what I was paying in rent. All cash.

Point of the story?

Rent the Tillsonburg place. Live in one bedroom, rent out the other three.

Rent out the shop to someone who needs shop space (easy to do in rural areas, there are always people who want to rent shop space).

Rent space on the driveway. Rent space on the property for storage.

You can make money on rentals. You just have to try a little….

#37 Rexx Rock on 05.17.19 at 8:29 pm

Its the same story in Victoria.Only high income couples will survive in GTA,YVR and Victoria.Middle class couples are screwd with a life of debt or little savings.Have kids and your done.Get a degree and live in a affordable city or a town, if not leave the country.
I saw Poloz the clown on BNN today.Spewing the same lies to the dumb downed Canadians.A growing economy,then raise rates from a mere 1.75%.Inflation rates at 2%.This guy is a Bernie Madoff of the BOC.

#38 Run for your life! on 05.17.19 at 8:53 pm

Canada is hopeless.

Unaffordable housing in Norfolk County of all places. Give me a break.

This country is in some serious shit.

#39 Looney Baloney on 05.17.19 at 8:53 pm

Wow, Mr. G, nice work turning the ex into a straw man punching bag to suck up to the aspiring cat lady with a master’s in gender studies

Does Mrs. G know you have regressed back to the wily ways of your youth?

#40 eightlock90 on 05.17.19 at 9:03 pm

I remember a few years ago people where saying if you can’t afford to live in Toronto or Vancouver to suck it up and move.

Yeah, move where exactly? Where is this utopia of affordable housing and decent jobs in Canada. I was looking at Winnipeg and few days ago and saw a few 70 year old bungalows going for 400k.

& lol at the guy above telling OP to move into a 2 bed room condo with 5 room mates. What a way to live.

#41 Mean Gene on 05.17.19 at 9:05 pm

Cathy’s education affords her the luxury of working internationally, maybe for the United Nations or a working vacation visa in Australia, maybe as a pilot in the Canadian Forces… or rotting in Toronto on the snubway.

Spread your wings girl and think big!!

#42 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.17.19 at 9:15 pm

Just when you thought Brexit couldnt get any worse……

#43 Nick B on 05.17.19 at 9:29 pm

I have to say, great response from Garth. I had my own blog for about 9 months, I dont know how you put out such entertaining posts which are also educational. Job well done. It will be a sad when you decide to retire your keyboard.

#44 Canada=Poor cousin of rich U.S on 05.17.19 at 9:41 pm

The best solution for young generation (highly educated) is to move to United States. High Salary, low taxes, cheap housing, high standard of living, GREAT weather, company paid insurance. The list never stops…

#45 Ace Goodheart on 05.17.19 at 9:46 pm

Remember when I told everyone to short this:

TSLA

What is: using the markets as a source of cash to run money losing businesses.

6 billion dollars gone.

Do you know anyone who has a solar roof?

Does anyone on your street drive a Tesla?

The big short.

#46 mark on 05.17.19 at 10:05 pm

Her debt is paid by Halloween. She can save money then. Tell us what you’ve got saved at 31. Too much focus on right here, right now.

#47 not 1st on 05.17.19 at 10:05 pm

Garth should we still not criticize the man just his policies?

Maybe read what this liberal govt wrought against an honorable military man and see if you still feel that way. Frankly, I am disgusted.

Anyone even thinking of voting for T2 should be locked away for deprogramming. Our govt is a grotesque charade.

#48 Yuus bin Haad on 05.17.19 at 10:16 pm

“Well, the only real reason for going to college is maybe you can go there and marry somebody who’s got some money already.” Frank Zappa, Acid Rock interview, 1978

#49 Leo Trollstoy on 05.17.19 at 10:20 pm

Adult kids should always pay rent

Never enable bad financial habits

“The dead bird under the nest never learned how to fly”

Mom was right!

#50 adee on 05.17.19 at 10:25 pm

this was good advice Garth. most parents in the original family home now have much more house than they need now anyhow. and in the years ahead they will likely be happy their daughter is close by.

#51 Freedom First on 05.17.19 at 10:41 pm

I think Cathy’s ex dodged a bullet. Hope he learned his lesson.

Freedom First

#52 prairie person on 05.17.19 at 10:44 pm

Ace Goodheart. Yup, I do. Just a block over. Solar panels on roof. He sells power back into the grid. However, he’s the only one in the neighbourhood. Not what I would call a big presence for solar. It can be done but what it cost him, i don’t know. I know he is an engineer. That makes it possible. He does all his work himself. He can do maintenance himself. Doesn’t seem very practical for most people.

#53 Canada=Poor cousin of rich U.S on 05.17.19 at 10:47 pm

Wake up milineals!! you are sitting next to the valley of gold (United States). Get your ass moving there if you want to achieve something.

#54 Felix on 05.17.19 at 10:51 pm

Good to have a Cat pic.

Grumpy was great.

#55 The Great Gordonski on 05.17.19 at 10:51 pm

Are you sure about that ” rent from your parents” comment? Is that good for her parents? They lose the personal resident status on the house and have to bend over for the CRA with that and new nominal income. What about their legal position. What if the gal is moist again for a boyfriend and he moves in effecting tenants rights? They might never get rid of him, or the inspections. What about the areas licensing regime. Is the basement ceiling high enough? Did they need to install a sprinkler? Etc etc etc. Being a landlord, even to your own, can be a yuge pain in the ass. She should grow a set and face life as it is, student loans and all.

#56 Paul on 05.17.19 at 10:52 pm

#20 Pete from St. Cesaire on 05.17.19 at 6:48 pm

It’s still a family home. – Garth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
————————————
It matters not how many doors a house has, if you don’t rent it it’s not a rental.

#57 mike from mtl on 05.17.19 at 11:10 pm

#40 eightlock90 on 05.17.19 at 9:03 pm

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Just like Australia, we have a few cites with ‘white collar’ jobs and whole load of wasteland. There’s no getting around that if you’ve haven’t already figured that out.

Depending on your profession if TO/Van/Mtl can’t cut it, then by all means look into the US, seriously. Unlike here there’s lots of second and third tier cites that actually support industry beyond retirees and plumbers.

#58 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.17.19 at 11:45 pm

Trudeau and Freeland just sealed a new NAFTA deal.
Even Trump was impressed with Freeland and her tenacity.
I’d vote for her in a flash.
Far too premature to write off the Liberals.

#59 Ponzius Pilatus on 05.17.19 at 11:55 pm

#42 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.17.19 at 9:15 pm
Just when you thought Brexit couldnt get any worse.
———-
Why worry about something out of your control.
Gas prices in Vancouver are now above 1.70.
And will get worse during summer.

#60 Ustabe on 05.18.19 at 12:11 am

#47 not 1st on 05.17.19 at 10:05 pm

Garth should we still not criticize the man just his policies?

So, I’m out of the loop. Can you explain how Trudeau gets slammed when he lobbies his ministers (SVC Lavalin) but also gets slammed when he doesn’t (Norman)?

The RCMP instigated the investigation under Harper’s purview. Trudeau had nothing to do with it. It was only when former Harper staffers and back room boys broke silence and spoke with the prosecutors that the charges were dropped.

Trudeau disappoints me as much if not more than you. He seems to go out of his way to bone Alberta and BC but let us at least be honest about things.

#61 Robert on 05.18.19 at 12:41 am

Why not build your own home. It isn’t rocket science. All you need is a hammer and a saw and a few other tools that are cheap at the local builders supply. All of the materials in a $3M YVR pink stucco unit cost less than a couple hundred grand. You can build it the way you want it and not have to deal with real estate agents, lawyers, contractors, subcontractors, and all the other bottom feeders that drive the price so high. I did this 22 years ago – took me a whole year – cost a few hundred K. Last year my friendly fire insurance borker reassessed the house for well north of $2M and put my rates up 10 percent. It was a year well spent learning how to build. Anyone could do it if they really wanted to. The alternative is ‘workin for da man’ payin the mortgage for 25 years at some slave job that drives you old and nuts. Think hard about it…

#62 Russ on 05.18.19 at 1:02 am

SW on 05.17.19 at 7:57 pm

#101 not 1st on 05.16.19 at 9:57 pm

====================

I think non first lost more than a wee bit of sense, unless the wee bit was all it had.

A wee bit off on the tariff declaration too. It looks a a drop of tariffs in two days.

#63 Smoking Man on 05.18.19 at 1:15 am

Was sitting on the John, trying to make sure everything was clear now that I’m into burbon. My blood pressure through the roof, my skin is red hot.

My chest tightens to the point I cant breath.. thinking this is it.

Got a full plastic cup of burbon and an aspirin in my shirt pocket.

I chew it, gulp it down with my JD

I was lucky.

Now that son 2s wife is packing my clone in her belly. I’m going to see a dr.

But then i might not when i get sobar.

Nothing left on my bucket list. That’s success my dogs.

#64 Moh on 05.18.19 at 1:38 am

Today was a good day. I got closer to securing my third contract for my corporation. Will be approaching 225K a year.

Long days, and long nights of work.

God I love this country, and god I love the GTA.

#65 Smoking Man on 05.18.19 at 1:40 am

The only reason I’m still alive is because God the weirdo finds me entertaining.

Ok God . Is it entertainment or are scared shit less of an epic rebal that never gave a shit.

Take me you coward..

#66 Paul on 05.18.19 at 2:03 am

#6 Frank on 05.17.19 at 4:36 pm

There is some truth in your post but it’s also petty and more than a little defensive. I think your “Industry’s” days are numbered for what it’s worth.

I suppose my quotes are petty as well. My bad.

Paul

#67 Smoking Man on 05.18.19 at 2:43 am

To Toronto star reporters

#68 Paul on 05.18.19 at 3:15 am

#15 Linda on 05.17.19 at 5:25 pm

Solid advice!

#69 Howard on 05.18.19 at 6:58 am

FYI for all – Delhi, Ontario is not pronounced like the city in India. It’s actually pronounced as it is written.

#70 maxx on 05.18.19 at 7:18 am

@ #14

World-class dad.

#71 Howard on 05.18.19 at 7:19 am

#40 eightlock90 on 05.17.19 at 9:03 pm

————————————————————

Wrong answer. The Baby Boomers – who bought dirt cheap homes at 25 and never went a year without a substantial raise in their younger days – would tell you you’re entitled and whiny for not wanting to live in a vermin-infested slum apartment with 5 people where the bathtub doubles as a bed and the balcony is rented out during the summer to make ends meet.

#72 Feebird on 05.18.19 at 7:22 am

@#63 Moh on 05.18.19 at 1:38 am

Long days, and long nights of work.

God I love this country, and god I love the GTA.
________________________________________

good day for a humble brag as well eh.

#73 Howard on 05.18.19 at 7:30 am

#59 Ustabe on 05.18.19 at 12:11 am
#47 not 1st on 05.17.19 at 10:05 pm

Garth should we still not criticize the man just his policies?

——————————————————

Harper waived the confidentiality of government documents from his time in office related to Admiral Norman.

The T2 government refused to provide them to the defence.

Marie Henein then interviewed members of the previous Conservative government to obtain the info the Liberals refused to grant the defence.

#74 -=jwk=- on 05.18.19 at 7:53 am

@ryan

But why would you want to live in the crowded core? you can experience that by living in scarborough.

I have doubts abour your story. I have staff living in Rusell, Limoges, alexandria and even cornwall to the east and Barrhaven,kanata and all the way to Kemptville in the west. Kemptville and cornwall are an hour, that’s way way out there.

Just inflation. Our house is worth about 8% more than it was almsot 4 years ago when we bought. That’s it. I have to keep re-explaining to my wife that the house is not a retirement plan :)

More doubts about your story. We moved from Los Angeles to Toronto in 2009. Toronto was worse, epically worse. Then we moved to Ottawa 2015. At 9:01am you can set the cruise at 120km/h and drive straight through ottawa without touching the brakes. Rush hour is – literally – an hour. If you are talking about inner core traffic, even that is light ( with Westboro as an exception) compared to Toronto.

There are tons of nice townhomes in the 180-250 range. And lots of nice SFH houses in the 350-450 range all over Ottawa. 600k gets you something really really nice, think all brick, 2500+ sf with two storey entrance type of thing. Not what I consider entry level and not something we’ll ever do.

20 min to downtowm, 30 in rush hour. 370k cold granite counters, annoying spot lights, silver appliances…everthing toronto buyers want! and it backs onto the Canadian trail, your backyard is 50,000 acres.

I know a great realtor if you need help…

#75 maxx on 05.18.19 at 7:54 am

@ #44

You forgot one – real money.

#76 James on 05.18.19 at 8:04 am

#66 Emasculated Smoking Turd

I clicked on your link, it opens with a very good ad for Ontario’s Teachers fighting right wing doofuses like you.

Way to go, old man!

#77 not 1st on 05.18.19 at 8:48 am

And yes she dresses like a clueless teenager for some of the most important meetings with high level dignitaries. She didn’t negotiate NAFTA. She was told what it was going to be and that was that. Same with the tariffs. If we don’t ban Huawei they will be back on.

#78 dharma bum on 05.18.19 at 8:58 am

#48 Yuus been Haad

——————————————————————–

Wow!

First, “Great Googly Moogly!”

Now this.

Second Frank Zappa reference this week.

The great one is still alive and kicking in the memories of some FZ adherents.

Kudos to the greatest musical genius of our era.

#79 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.18.19 at 9:03 am

@ & 58 Political Petrol Ponzi
“Trudeau and Freeland just sealed a new NAFTA deal.
Even Trump was impressed with Freeland and her tenacity.
I’d vote for her in a flash.
Far too premature to write off the Liberals.”
+++++++

Why dream about what you cant change.
Freeland….As much as she would like to be more of a man in a man’s world.
She aint the leader of the Libs ….in this election.
Trudeau is the anchor dragging them down.
Keep dreaming.
++++++++++

“#58
Why worry about something out of your control.
Gas prices in Vancouver are now above 1.70.
And will get worse during summer.”

+++++

And the higher the gas prices go the more hated the govts become.
Taxes and fees. Another govt Cash grab.
The economy will grind to a stop and the Liberals will reap the blame.
Nov cometh sooner than Selfie wants.
Gas at $2.00/liter by July?
Bring it on.
My company fills the gas in the work trucks.
Tax deduction at years end.
Give and take. Give and take.
Its the poor, vacationing schmoes paying $2.00/liter that will suffer, not working crowdiefartz.

And if you think electric cars are the answer ….
Dont park it in your garage or …..Get fire insurance.

#80 crowdedelevatorfartz on 05.18.19 at 9:10 am

@#64 Smoking Man
“Take me you coward..”

+++++
Last time I checked, the Mormon pamphlets I was handed didnt show anyone smoking in heaven.

Take the Down elevator and pray I wasnt hit by a bus 1 minute before your demise.
It could be a long ride.

#81 dharma bum on 05.18.19 at 9:19 am

“I am single, have a masters degree, am employed in my field, and live in a rural area 2 hours southwest of Toronto (Norfolk County).”
——————————————————————–
Just imagine the pickle you’d be in if you were not able to be living rent free right now.

You are not really in that bad of a situation, compared to your cohort.

The fact that your student debt will be gone in 6 months is a huge deal. Good for you.

From that point on, you need to save every penny you earn, and continue to live rent free for a few years. I’m sure your parents are happy to have you around. Consider your presence their payment. In fact, they should be paying you for your company. After all, they saddled you with that student debt and didn’t help you pay for your education. Shame on them.

However, what you need to be doing while you are building cash reserves, is seriously looking for other opportunities in your field, in locations other than Norfolk County.

Seriously, there is no long term future in that region. Simcoe, Port Dover, and places along the north shore of lake Erie have been dying a slow death for decades.

It is a kind of slow, decaying, decrepit, sleepy retirement wasteland atmosphere.

It’s kind of a depressing area. it is like a giant set for some Stephen King horror movie, where people’s minds have atrophied over time, and the population at large are kind of these walking dead automaton creatures.

So, save all your money for another 3 years while living with the folks, and seriously research jobs you can get anywhere else (even London would be OK). Or in another province. Or the USA.

Norfolk County, it’s a death trap, it’s a suicide rap, you gotta get out while you’re young, ’cause baby you were born to RUN!

#82 Renter's Revenge! on 05.18.19 at 9:41 am

I don’t know if kids are being lied to, or if they’re just misunderstanding the advice given to them, but if you get a degree in something useful, like engineering or nursing, you can get a well-paying job anywhere in the country. Making money always involves being useful to other people.

#83 Tom Byron on 05.18.19 at 10:40 am

Talking about gas prices and other expenses. Since I retired back in 2005 and get less and less interest on my GIC’s, term deposits, fixed income investments I have spent not very much on gas a year. C.P.P and OAS is a joke with their annual so called cost of living increases.

I used to spend $5,000 a year when gas was around 80 to 85 cents a liter. Now, I spend only $900 a year a on gas. I also cut my food, clothing and cigarettes budget by another $15,000 a year back when I first retired since 2005. I’m not going out to eat anymore and my work clothes, boots etc. are not needed anymore.

I quit smoking since I don’t have the stress from the job either anymore. I will never go into debt to make others money. I have less income so they get less of my money. I did the math and I saved about $400,000 in 14 years since I retired back in 2005.

Most people don’t understand that we live and pay with after tax dollars so the $400,000 I saved is probably around $600,000 of income I would have to earn just to pay for these things I used to pay for.

You can’t blood from a stone. Governments and others will never learn.

#84 NoName on 05.18.19 at 10:46 am

#68 Howard on 05.18.19 at 6:58 am

Bjuti of kroeshan languidj iz dat evriting is pronaunsd as it is vriten. Try pronouncing “škafiškafnjak”

Very few exceptions.

—–

And for my friend pozy doing pilates, rejoice 300 milles battery propeled flying car is coming by 2025.

There is steel hope for thos junior lithium miners until something more shinyer comes along, like maybe high density molten sodium batteries. Here it is you can doit yourself sef and maybe use it to power you internet connection, so you are in a no when power goes of. I”ll just run extension cable to truck and plug what i need. And this molten salt only for storage, not for proposition, to heavy.

BOOK title, what is it?

#85 Pillboy on 05.18.19 at 10:58 am

Nothing wrong with living at home and helping with expenses. I don’t know where this negative connotation of living at home as a full adult comes from, it’s quite common in many asian cultures. The key point is to help out with the family, not freeload, and keep communication lines open.

Living at home when I graduated at the age of 25 let me pay off my student debt of 60K within 6 months of graduation. After that, I began to give my parents a fairly significant monthly allowance so that they could retire (and I still do after moving out). I was the biggest user of the internet, so I paid for that in full. There is absolutely nothing wrong in having help in getting a jump-start in life. The most important thing in ANY relationship is to communicate about goals, aspirations, and steps to getting there.

#86 Allison on 05.18.19 at 11:39 am

Why not hunt for a better paying job in a place you’d be able to rent and save? Canada’s a big country and it sounds like your current locale is neither great for career nor housing. Visit regularly for the family/friends and find a job and community where you can realistically build the lifestyle you’d like. A small city might give you access to nearby rural lifestyle but also rentals and better paying jobs. It also doesnt have to be forever. Go seek your fortune and return to rural life when you’ve saved enough or moved your career into a place where it works on the job front to be rural.

#87 Steven Rowlandson on 05.18.19 at 12:06 pm

If you are not rich don’t bother trying to live in Canada or any other nation state. Live without all the BS and expense.

#88 Raging Ranter on 05.18.19 at 12:12 pm

People like #6 Frank are the reason smart kids like Cathy don’t want to live in big cities.

#89 Howard on 05.18.19 at 12:34 pm

#83 NoName on 05.18.19 at 10:46 am
#68 Howard on 05.18.19 at 6:58 am

Very few exceptions.

———————————————

I wasn’t criticizing the fact that Delhi, India isn’t pronounced phonetically. I’m well aware that English spelling is rather chaotic and not at all predictive, quite unlike Spanish or German which sound exactly how they are spelled according to their respective phonology.

#90 Ronaldo on 05.18.19 at 12:37 pm

#55 Paul

Check this out regarding suite in house.

#91 georgist on 05.18.19 at 12:57 pm

> That is fantastic for borrowers.

> And if it prevents home prices from falling… Too bad!

So borrowers have to borrow more. Incoherent.

#92 Vampire studies (post grad) on 05.18.19 at 1:29 pm

63 moh – $225k would not get me to the GTA, or van. Maybe Vic on a short term contract. I make the better portion of that in a much smaller centre with lower expenses and without killing myself. And unless you have a corporation, tax really gobbles it.

I guess that is my “humble brag”

#93 AGuyInVancouver on 05.18.19 at 1:31 pm

First, can we agree that the Globe & Mail is Canada’s pre-eminent newspaper and largely unbiased? Second, they have an article this weekend that pretty much points the finger at offshore money as responsible for Vancouver’s bursting bubble:

#94 SW on 05.18.19 at 7:52 pm

#76 not 1st on 05.18.19 at 8:48 am
“You guys are so precious its hilarious. Trump cannot stand Freeland and neither can most of Canada. She is so far over her depth its not even funny. She is the ultimate diversity jump up hire as is most of the Trudeau cabinet.”

A common mistake made by several of the commenters here: blinded by anger and insulting people who are political opponents. It makes you consistently underestimate them. Thinking that everyone else agrees with you…lol…as I said, you can lose elections like this.

Incidentally another person who doesn’t care for Ms. Freeland is Mr. Putin. I think she’s smart and careful; one of the better Trudeau cabinet ministers, one to watch.

#95 Smoking Man on 05.19.19 at 3:06 am

Dogs, no matter what salesmen play or story you follow.
In the last chapter.
You are all.

Enjoy the view

#96 Incubus on 05.19.19 at 7:30 am

Another option: move to Montréal

#97 MaxBerniersShorts on 05.19.19 at 11:12 am

#76 Not1st

Now that’s funny. The only one over his head in that dip is Trump, a two bit developer conman who thinks he has the skills necessary to run any country. The mans a pathetic joke who has zero foreign policy successes to show for his disastrous presidency.