Crusty thinking

The Doctor is IN, ready to deal with your financial stress and real estate anxieties. Here, lie on this couch and let it all gush out, Alexa.

We are a married mid 30’s couple with 2 kids and renting a house.  We have made poor financial decisions with home buying and we’re feeling stuck and seeking advice…

My husband went to University for pharmacy, working full time with no pension since then. I worked, then stayed home with kids.  Purchased townhouse in 2009 and sold within 2 years for $5k less than paid for it…plus fees

Purchased large house soon afterwards and promptly sold within 2 years as it was sinking us monthly and wanted to get out before it was too late….then sold for $5k less than paid for it….plus fees. We decided to rent for a couple years to save and figure out what’s next…then the housing prices skyrocketed and now we’re stuck…

We’re currently paying $1500 rent for a full house with HUGE backyard for kids to play and a block from grandparents for support (although not common to pay so little we are grateful!!)

Investments total $130k between RRSPs, TFSAs, RESP and joint account. We’re saving $1500 monthly right now which is going towards debt but planning to save once all paid down by, our calculations, should be by next July

What should we do!? Should we buy? Move? stay renting?

We aren’t sure if draining our investments is smart…or want to have a $500-$600k mtg which won’t leave us with much more than about $200 monthly for extras…..we have 2 growing athletic boys… Thanks for all your guidance and suggestions.

No brainer, Alexa. Rent. First, you just don’t have enough money to buy without (as you know) killing your investment portfolio and sucking up a lot of debt. Second, you have great lease, a good house and a perfect location. Why move? Third, your greatest responsibility is the children you brought into this world. Owning a house (as opposed to renting one) is pointless as far as they’re concerned. If buying means you save less for their futures, that would be a selfish, misguided move.

Finally, this isn’t your first rodeo. You’ve done it before. Twice. You lost money on both occasions. Real estate was a net drag on your net worth, plus it caused you stress and tension. Why would things be any different now? Unsubscribe from HGTV and stop talking to your parents. That should help.

Now here’s Ryan, who reads this blog and actually thinks hard about the drivel it contain. Good boy, Ryan. Whazzup?

I’ve been a long-time reader of your daily affirmations, which have helped give me the confidence to make good financial decisions. It really is empowering and I will be forever grateful. That said, I read your last post about GICs and it rattled me. Here’s the thing…

My wife and I are on the cusp turning forty. We just sold our condo and will be walking away with $650,000, free and clear. We have an additional $100k in cash (I know, I know), TFSA’s maxed out (~$60k each), and about $40k each in RRSPs, with some room to spare. We both work for big companies with DB pensions, assuming we stick around that long (unlikely, but who knows?). No kids, just a furry pooch.

We’d like to get a house when things in the market settle down a bit, so hopefully in a few years. We’re going to rent in meantime, as per the Turner plan, despite the agonizing GTA rental prices. Given our short-ish time horizon, we had figured our best plan was to put the money into a GIC while we wait things out but your post on this made us question it.

With what timeline should you not consider a 60/40 portfolio? Are GICs ever the answer? Is there something better for those of us with shorter time horizons? Thank you so much. Always grateful.

To recap. GICs suck. They pay barely more than inflation. The interest is fully taxed. You must declare and pay tax on the money before you receive it. The best rates are paid by the dodgiest outfits. In short, you’d actually be as far ahead staying in cash.

But to your question: is investing for a couple of years too short-term? Well, weigh the risks. Not investing could cost you roughly $40,000 over the next couple of years if a balanced portfolio delivers the same average return as over the last eight. That’s enough to pay the land transfer tax on a new place or buy a load of furniture including one of those fridges with a built-in TV (how can you eat breakfast without one?).

The point of a balanced and diversified portfolio is growth with stability. That’s why there are bonds, preferreds, REITs and equity in various markets and countries. Can this ever go down and give a negative return? Of course. In 2018 Bay Street gave up 12% and a B&D portfolio lost 3%. But down years are the exception, since 70% of the time growth is the norm. Moreover, when financial assets fall it’s usually because of a slower economy, which also weighs on real estate.

There is no correct answer to the question. It depends on you. Your tolerance for change. Your emotions. But realize that you now have close to $1 million liquid. The odds of that becoming $3 million in 15 years – at age 55 – are damn good if you invest, instead of going for another house. That should churn out about $200,000 a year in tax-efficient income, allowing you to retire and live in comfort – forever.

Or, you could GIC, buy a house, embrace debt and hope for the best.

Some choice. Ask the dog.

#1 jess on 04.25.19 at 4:20 pm

product of usa

Domestic terror suspect Christopher Hasson, who is accused of planning a terror attack on politicians and media figures, also allegedly searched the internet for the home addresses of two Supreme Court justices as well as the best gun to kill African-Americans, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

=====
German megadeal called off;
=======================
lookback
Deutsche Bank, the DOJ and how $4B in aid to distressed homeowners evaporated
Deutsche Bank, the DOJ and how $4B in aid to distressed homeowners evaporated
The bank agreed to modify loans to struggling U.S. borrowers as part of a 2017 settlement. Instead, it’s receiving credit for financing new mortgages that likely would have been made anyway.

Deutsche Bank has decided that none of the more than $4 billion it promised to spend on consumer relief after the global mortgage crisis will go to distressed U.S. homeowners, according to a report by the monitor of the 2017 settlement.

==

Standard Chartered to pay $1B to end probes of Iran business
The agreement with U.S. and U.K. regulators is on top of the $667 million it paid to U.S. authorities in 2012 for its handling of transactions that violated economic sanctions against Iran.

#2 Red falcon on 04.25.19 at 4:21 pm

Oh ya crusty it is! Not as crusty as dividends are. Yum yum.

And first!!

#3 Lead Paint on 04.25.19 at 4:22 pm

#115 Tater on 04.25.19 at 7:56 am

This post was awesome, thanks. I was going to suggest Garth post on inflation but you did i a great job.

I’ve enjoyed your backs and forth with Stan. I think your facts and reason don’t jibe with his gut feelings and cynicism. He’s kind of like a Smoking Man with spell-check but no mirth.

#4 JB on 04.25.19 at 4:23 pm

Jesus $4.00 plus gas per US gallon is worse than here.
Glad I’m not driving in lala land. We are still better off tanking up here in the GTA and were are taxed to the max.

#5 Mr Fundamental on 04.25.19 at 4:30 pm

For Ryan,

Why not rent forever and invest 100% of your $1 million in equities? Forget the 60/40 portfolio. Since you both have DB pensions, it sounds like you’ll easily be able to live off that in 20 years. Combine that with CPP and withdrawing 4% of your equities (now probably worth $3 million), and you’re set!
4% of your $3 million will give you $120K per year… Add DBs and CPPs, and this seems like alot.

#6 Ustabe on 04.25.19 at 4:38 pm

If you only have $60,000 in a TFSA it is not “maxed out”. Mine is bumping $90,000 and due to age I’m invested quite conservatively in there. Plus I started late by 3 years.

The issue with renting is non professional landlords. Use the services of a property management company.

Much like Garth keeping excited investor’s feet firmly planted, so too do property managers keep excited landlords in the realm of reality.

Full disclosure…that is where I made my family fortune, we both managed other’s property and held our own. The fortune wasn’t made on the backs of renters, it was made when a much larger property management firm made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

We did not hold nor rent out homes in which we would not willingly live.

If you forgo the cheapest rent you can find on Craigslist and utilize an established management company you will have secure housing that is kept up. And no tedious interactions with a stressed out landlord.

#7 Sold Out on 04.25.19 at 4:52 pm

#168 No Name on 4.25.19 at 3:40pm

…”question for blog bitches and dogs”… All bitches are dogs; your pointed, and redundant, use of the term for a female of the genus canus Linnaeus was either an example of intellectual over-reach, or it was a juvenile attempt to denigrate the dwindling number of women who come to this blog to educate themselves. Both options only make you look like knuckle-dragger, as does your non-apology.

#8 Eco Capitalist on 04.25.19 at 4:52 pm

That dog is in-bread! Sorry, low hanging fruit…

On a serious note, you have the rule of 90 for owning real estate. Do you have a rule of thumb for what to spend on rent?

#9 PastThePeak on 04.25.19 at 4:53 pm

Ryan,

My advice, for what it is worth:
– Whatever you need for a downpayment I would keep in something safe. You don’t want to risk this over a couple of years.
– Whatever is left, invest in balanced portfolio, though at this point in the business cycle I would be looking at the “safer stuff” in Garth’s balanced portfolio recommendations.

#10 NotLegalAdvice on 04.25.19 at 4:58 pm

“But realize that you now have close to $1 million liquid.” – GT.

Not having kids. Good paying jobs. DB for back up. A dog. This seems like a trend for all the 40 – something year old people with $1mill.

Then we have the mid 30’s. 2 kids. Under 10. No DB. Pooched.

I keep talking myself out of buying a property. Current living situation is not ideal. Renting a nice place is costing too much ($2500). I’m stuck and not sure what my next step should be.

Any thoughts?

#11 Linda on 04.25.19 at 5:00 pm

If ‘Alexa’ & company are only spending $1,500 per month for a house with a big yard, why ever would they consider buying? Especially since their landlord is the one who must pay for house maintenance, property taxes & so forth? Plus the sports minded boys will not be living with them forever. Better to plan for the day when they are ’empty nesters’. Even then, best if they test drive a location by seeing if they can rent a place that meets their future criteria. Given the track record, try before buy seems like the smart way to go.

#12 devore on 04.25.19 at 5:00 pm

Calgary and considering it…………BUT….it’s cold there…

Ahhh… The state of the millennial generation, summed up in a slogan. Would rather be broke/underemployed/scared and miserable, but hey, at least they have sun a couple more months out of the year! It will help with the depression.

If you can’t afford to live where you are, or are lacking opportunities to improve your life, quit whining and move somewhere else.

Just got done watching a Marketplace piece on prices in Canada’s north… Same story; lots of whining, and complaining about government not subsidizing them enough, and jobs not paying enough money. Are they moving? Of course not, just some bs about nonsense that doesn’t matter. I want to live here, and you owe me to make it work.

These people will be in charge of things when I’m wrinkly. Who knows how hard they’ll hoover up my savings, “for the greater good” of course.

#13 Dave on 04.25.19 at 5:01 pm

What world does Alexa live in, In the years mentioned Real Estate was going up. Should have made a profit and if they hung on to their house a few years longer then a huuuge profit.

#14 GreaterFool` on 04.25.19 at 5:03 pm

Garth, for how long do you think this is sustainable?

#15 not 1st on 04.25.19 at 5:04 pm

Your Liberal govt at work again. Disgusting.

The federal government can’t guarantee it will have a decision on the proposed Trans Mountain pipeline expansion prior to the next election, Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi said.

#16 not 1st on 04.25.19 at 5:05 pm

A social work career could easily morph into debt counselling. I predict a boom in that field.

#17 JSS on 04.25.19 at 5:05 pm

Can someone gimme an idea how much a pharmacist makes? $100K?

#18 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 5:20 pm

I have a similar problem.

I pay $100 per month for room and board, to my parents, for the private use of the basement.

It’s a nice place, and sometimes my parents let me keep the $200, but I still crave for my own piece of tranquility.

Ross Kay says we shouldn’t be making large real estate purchases, so I’m going to wait for his guidance to change.

Ross Kay, I know you read this blog. How long should I wait before entering the market?

#19 NotLegalAdvice on 04.25.19 at 5:25 pm

#17 JSS on 04.25.19 at 5:05 pm
Can someone gimme an idea how much a pharmacist makes? $100K?

___________________________

Pharmacists that own their own Pharmacy, essentially run it as a business. When owning your own business, they can make endless capital. It’s dependent on how busy your pharmacy is. How much you bill. How many people you employee. I know some making over $250k owing their own pharmacy and others employed as Pharmacists only making $125k.

#20 Chris R on 04.25.19 at 5:25 pm

Garth, care to elaborate on $200k of tax efficient income from the portfolio? I was under the impression divvies were taxed as income; unless you’re referring to dividend tax credits (which only get you to $60k at the most per person). Thanks in advance.

#21 Vision on 04.25.19 at 5:29 pm

“buy a load of furniture including one of the fridges with a built-in TV (how can you eat breakfast without one?).”
——
I laughed so hard at this comment.
Your wit and sense of humour is priceless.
I love reading your blogs, they are informative and so interesting to read.

#22 The Wet One on 04.25.19 at 5:33 pm

“Garth, for how long do you think this is sustainable?
A guy with close to 1M on his 40’s having to choose between a house and retirement… Is this real life? This is madness!!!”

Where’s the madness?

I chose to have children and buy a house in my 40’s. That was madness.

At least these people have no kids and the attendant financial obligations.

My only saving grace is I’m pretty sure I’ll die by age 65, the day I retire and pay off the house.

At least I enjoyed my 30’s with mucho cash and a reasonable sum of free time.

#23 Ross Kay on 04.25.19 at 5:33 pm

#18 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 5:20 pm

A while longer I’d say.

#24 charlie on 04.25.19 at 5:34 pm

The key here is to do your homework first, before you buy real estate. Once you do, make sure it’s for the long term. If Alexa did that, one of two things would have happened:
1. They would not have bought the first two properties and would have instead rented and continued down that fiscally responsible path
2. They would have bought something more affordable and would have stuck with it through the boom years

Which one would be net ahead would be up for debate, but in both circumstances would be further ahead. Not that I can talk as I wasted significant amounts on aggressive short term trading, but have sinced fixed the error of my ways with balanced portfolios and zero individual equities. If you won’t learn from others, at least learn from your own mistakes.

#25 ImGonnaBeSick on 04.25.19 at 5:38 pm

Mr. T, if moving money from a corporate account to the wife’s TFSA, should you gift the money or just take it out and stuff it in there and hope for the best… Funny… That’s probably how I ended up with 3 kids…

#26 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 5:50 pm

“#18 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 5:20 pm “

(lying) IMPOSTER ALERT!

#27 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 5:53 pm

“#17 JSS on 04.25.19 at 5:05 pm
Can someone gimme an idea how much a pharmacist makes? $100K?”

Yeah about that. Although the market has been considerably weakening over the past few years, particularly in the major cities. Starting to hear more of $29/hour offers in places like the GTA.

#28 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 6:02 pm

“#13 Dave on 04.25.19 at 5:01 pm
What world does Alexa live in, In the years mentioned Real Estate was going up.”

No their experience was pretty typical, with Canadian RE peaking/plateauing in 2013, with the Calgary/Edmonton, and places in which there is heavy recreational property investment by Albertans peaking even earlier (~2011-ish).

This an actual arms-length transaction being described. Not just unfortunately typical pie-in-the-sky “beliefs” about property prices by people who don’t know that the “stats” presented aren’t sales-mix or quality adjusted.

#29 NoName on 04.25.19 at 6:07 pm

#7 Sold Out on 04.25.19 at 4:52 pm
#168 No Name on 4.25.19 at 3:40pm

Sometimes when my wife gets mad at me she calls me bitch, in your opinion, that i value, is she also knuckle dragger?

#30 Changeemall on 04.25.19 at 6:15 pm

So many childless top earners in Canada. What a sad state of affairs. Millions of dollars in the bank with no offspring and asking to to maximize more profits.

#31 Sold Out on 04.25.19 at 6:16 pm

#29 No Name

Your wife’s limited vocabulary is not my concern.

#32 NoName on 04.25.19 at 6:27 pm

#31 Sold Out on 04.25.19 at 6:16 pm
#29 No Name

Your wife’s limited vocabulary is not my concern.

Knowing that i am knuckle dragger, i thought that you would be more compassionate toward her suffering.

But again i was wrong before…

#33 50 YEARS OF MAPLE LEAF INCOMPETENCE! on 04.25.19 at 6:48 pm

Wise advice as usual, Garth.

Let me add, for GTAholes, the most important investment you can make is not a house but life insurance. With the horrendous murder rate there, this may be your best chance to make your family wealthy!

…..But for delusional Make Believes fans, please note that most of these insurance plans do not pay out for self-inflicted injuries or suicides. So no matter how stupid you feel this week for supporting your pathetic loser franchise, do not harm yourselves or anyone else. Instead, reach out to any of the 40,000 lonely Realtors in the GTA who are also desperate to hear an understanding human voice, or even get a phone call for duct cleaning. They will be grateful, and you will be on your pathway to healing and wisely abandoning all hope forever for success in Toronto.

#34 SoggyShorts on 04.25.19 at 6:52 pm

@tater 115 yesterday

Nice write up, I’m glad someone else picked up the torch of trying to explain inflation to Stan.

@past the peak
Essentials are not the only story, absolutely, but where is the majority of household money spent on average? Shelter, food, utilities, transportation, and entertainment. These have been increasing by greater than 5% (some cases more than 10%) per year over the last number of years (on average), and yet the inflation rate calculated is sub 2%?
**********************
Where are your numbers from? In AB my rent has stayed the same and food has only marginally increased. Electricity is lower than it was 10 years ago, and as tater said netflix>cable means entertainment has gone down too. That leaves transportation, and I’m pretty sure I was paying the same $1.20 on and off over the past decade.
So what’s going up 5-10% per year?

#35 SoggyShorts on 04.25.19 at 6:56 pm

@#34
Found a 10y gas chart right after clicking submit.
Looks like 3.5% on average, but if you start at 2012 it’s close to 0%

#36 not 1st on 04.25.19 at 7:01 pm

Pharmacist would be a career highly susceptible to disruption. Have you seen those pill dispensing robots working behind the counter in some pharmacies. That should be terrifying.

Most pharmacists spend their time giving advice on non prescription stuff and listening to a lot of complaining about our medical system.

#37 Stan Brooks for PM on 04.25.19 at 7:15 pm

33 50 YEARS OF MAPLE LEAF INCOMPETENCE! on 04.25.19 at 6:48 pm

Dude, are you Stan Brooks under another alias or a relative of his?

#38 Tim on 04.25.19 at 7:16 pm

Re: “In 2018 Bay Street gave up 12% and a B&D portfolio lost 3%.”

Garth, the S&P fact sheet for the S&P/TSX Composite index shows a total return for 2018 of -8.89%. The price return (leaving out dividends) was -11.64%.

My B&D portfolio (pretty similar to what you have recommended in the past) returned -3% with dividends last year, so I think you may be comparing one figure without dividends to another that includes dividends.

#39 Westsider on 04.25.19 at 7:24 pm

CORRECTION
2008 – Gas:$1.35 per litre Oil prices:$146 per barrel
2018 – Gas $1.319 per litre Oil prices: $67.79 per barrel
Go figure!!!Something is wrong here and it ain’t all taxes!!!

#40 Bytor the Snow Dog on 04.25.19 at 7:39 pm

Alas, no word on whether Alexa went back to work to help pay the bills for her spawn.

#41 islander on 04.25.19 at 7:57 pm

“Total Regret in My Heart”

Unintentionally ironic posting by ‘realtor.ca/no regrets’!
“Nothing is sadder than regretting the largest transaction of your life!”
Good for a laugh – yeah Garth!

#42 Smoking Man on 04.25.19 at 8:03 pm

T2 and Twitter colluding to influence an election.
Everytime I launch Twitter it’s either T2 or Climate barbies tweets on first line. I bielive that’s against the law.

You should read the comments. Everyone despises them. October will be ugly for them.

#43 not 1st on 04.25.19 at 8:12 pm

#39 Westsider on 04.25.19 at 7:24 pm
—-

You said you don’t need oil or fossil fuels anymore so what does it matter what the price is. Get comrade Horgan started on those renewables that are going to save us all.

#44 Captain Uppa on 04.25.19 at 8:14 pm

>>Dude. There are 7.7 billion people on the planet. There were 2.5 billion when I was born. Wake up. ~ Garth>>

Garth, you must be exhausted!

#45 NoName on 04.25.19 at 8:19 pm

#36 not 1st on 04.25.19 at 7:01 pm

—-

Now that yo mention robot pharmacist.

#46 espressobob on 04.25.19 at 8:21 pm

GICs are laughable obviosly since your locked in to a device that you cant access for the period of time you agreed to.

A simple ETF like CMR which is a money market fund pays a dismal yield a lot like a GIC but is completely liquid at the touch of a button.

There is valitidaty in this asset class as opposed to cash in larger portfolios between trades.

#47 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:25 pm

Was driving in Van-delusional today and stopped behind a car with the advertisement…..

“Realtor and Financial Advisor to help you with all your needs….”

Will they ever , truly, be gone?

#48 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:41 pm

gee whiz.
After months of protests
The light bulb finally went on.

Politicians who cave always crash. – Garth

#49 acdel on 04.25.19 at 9:24 pm

#42 Smoking Man

Of course it is the T2 and his followers ways. Most see through it.

There are no women premiers left in this country and before I get lambasted by ideological far left types; remember that in Canada there are 51% women and 49% male plus or minus a few percentage points to those that do not go by gender status, respected.

My point is that there are alot of people that are fed up with him and see right through his/her team.

Although our grateful hosts seems to think that they elevated us. If so, they would still be running their provinces.

#50 tccontrarian on 04.25.19 at 9:26 pm

“Dude. There are 7.7 billion people on the planet. There were 2.5 billion when I was born. Wake up.” ~ Garth
////

Odd thing to brag about!? Yu da Man, Garth!

TCC

Moronic. Check the context. – Garth

#51 akashic record on 04.25.19 at 9:26 pm

#48 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:41 pm

gee whiz.
After months of protests
The light bulb finally went on.

Politicians who cave always crash. – Garth

He caves to delay losing power.

How much more police brutality can be attached to the “moral leadership” of Europe every weekend?

#52 ImGonnaBeSick on 04.25.19 at 9:28 pm

#20 Chris R on 04.25.19 at 5:25 pm

TFSA withdrawals – no bearing on income – tax efficient income

Joint Margin Account – dividend $60,000 each with essentially no tax – tax efficient income

Joint Margin Account – capital gains and return of capital – best tax rates around – tax efficient income

#53 not 1st on 04.25.19 at 9:31 pm

#45 NoName on 04.25.19 at 8:19 pm

Now that yo mention robot pharmacist.

——–

I cant wait for my lawyer to get disrupted. He looks so smug while he takes $1000 to do some photocopying. Same as my pill pushing GP.

#54 IHCTD9 on 04.25.19 at 9:36 pm

#166 Gravy Train on 04.25.19 at 3:17 pm
#125 Y. Knott on 04.25.19 at 9:20 am
#147 IHCTD9 on 04.25.19 at 11:42 am
#151 Y. Knott on 04.25.19 at 12:43 pm
#157 IHCTD9 on 04.25.19 at 1:59 pm

Neither of you two clever yahoos have children or grandchildren, do you?
———

Sure I have kids, and they’ll be doing better than ever once I get millions of dollars from the federal Libs to fix my freezer!

#55 Bytor the Snow Dog on 04.25.19 at 9:51 pm

Another symptom of Politically Correct Disease- the fourth province wide “Amber Alert’ this year in Ontario. All TV Channels. All radio channels. Presidential Alert settings sending a nuclear bomb klaxon warning to your phone that you can’t override. All for another child “kidnapped” in a custody dispute.

But think of the children!

#56 ImGonnaBeSick on 04.25.19 at 9:53 pm

#49 acdel on 04.25.19 at 9:24 pm

“Although our grateful hosts seems to think that they elevated us.”

I think that was supposed to be “alleviated” us.. of our savings… 325B debt in Ontario alone .. Yeesh… Kathy added 1/4 of that herself…

Still not a candle to Dolton who doubled the debt left from Harrisment days…

#57 tccontrarian on 04.25.19 at 10:15 pm

Moronic. Check the context. – Garth

No sense of humour tonight, I guess…

Was a joke.

TCC

#58 IHCTD9 on 04.25.19 at 10:15 pm

#27 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 5:53 pm
“#17 JSS on 04.25.19 at 5:05 pm
Can someone gimme an idea how much a pharmacist makes? $100K?”

———

I know one small city pharmacist, he makes 90k which he says is low. He works in a clinic which he much prefers to a Walmart type job, but it pays less. He is cool with that since his wife is a high school teacher and makes a boatload of cash herself. They live in a mansion as empty nesters.

He says there once was a shortage of pharmacists in Canada, so the government imported an army of them (he was one), now there are too many, and wages are dropping. Right now you can make more mopping the hallways at OPG than these guys get.

#59 LP on 04.25.19 at 10:20 pm

#29 NoName on 04.25.19 at 6:07 pm
…or it was a juvenile attempt to denigrate the dwindling number of women who come to this blog to educate themselves.
********************************

That statement makes me curious. How could you possibly know that the number of women who frequent this blog is dwindling? Most posters use pseudonyms so it’s unlikely you can tell from names. Please, enlighten me.

F71ON

#60 Smoking Man on 04.25.19 at 10:21 pm

acdel on 04.25.19 at 9:24 pm
#42 Smoking Man

Of course it is the T2 and his followers ways. Most see through it.

…..

Brampton is very rich and diverse community. All ridings went to Ford inspire of all the identity politics. They didn’t buy identity politics.

Wyeen never came across as raving mental case like T2 and Barbie do.

People vote for the best interests of there wallets. T2 image is that of an elitist liar. Burnt toast.

No matter how much T2 sings the songs to songs the newly school are familiar with.

The liberals will be decimated come October.

#61 Madeitbc on 04.25.19 at 10:21 pm

For JB: gas over $4.00 a gallon in California
In Vancouver $1.79 a litre to a USA gallon is
$6.80. I guess Vancouver is the real fools in this world

#62 Pfft on 04.25.19 at 10:22 pm

@#37 Stan Brooks for PM on 04.25.19 at 7:15 pm
33 50 YEARS OF MAPLE LEAF INCOMPETENCE! on 04.25.19 at 6:48 pm

Dude, are you Stan Brooks under another alias or a relative of his?

_____

Absolutely the same person.
Same Shtick.

#63 Midnights on 04.25.19 at 10:30 pm

Now that’s a funny picture.

#64 Midnights on 04.25.19 at 10:34 pm

Quote:
“We’re saving $1500 monthly right now which is going towards debt but planning to save once all paid down by, our calculations, should be by next July”
—————————————-
Has the definition of savings changed? That’s paying debt.

#65 IHCTD9 on 04.25.19 at 10:37 pm

#29 NoName on 04.25.19 at 6:07 pm
#7 Sold Out on 04.25.19 at 4:52 pm
#168 No Name on 4.25.19 at 3:40pm

————

Refinement is over rated. I drag knuckles and have a ball.

Ms. IH is a two degree holding, NDP voting, “helping profession” working, SJW approving, government adoring super leftie with a skull almost as thick as mine.

When I’m in the mood to stir the pot a bit, I usually kick things off with a highly partisan monolouge extolling the greatness of Stephen Harper, followed by an unnecessarily loud opine on what a dumbass Jack Layton was.

Holy molly, let me tell you – getting called a bitch is NOTHING. :)

#66 IHCTD9 on 04.25.19 at 10:47 pm

#48 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:41 pm
gee whiz.
After months of protests
The light bulb finally went on.

——-

Macron “fights back” with tax cuts?

Isn’t that like a bank teller fighting a robbery by handing over bags of money?

Just another reason to question just what the hell is going on with the media these days…

#67 Moses71 on 04.25.19 at 10:55 pm

Hi no.65
Do you need to borrow my lipstick? Lol

#68 Smoking Man on 04.25.19 at 10:59 pm

When the campain kicks in T2 will be branded as a mansplaining elite white boy who tossed two compitant woman under the bus.

What he should have done was fall on his sword. But globalists still have faith in the newly schooled activists coming through. Another clueless bunch of elites.

I’m trying to talk Ford into having a 60% sale on weed a day before the election. He does that zero libs standing on election day.

#69 Changeemall on 04.25.19 at 11:01 pm

Western countries have been below replacement rates for over two decades. Why not at least have two children and not become a generic dead end with worthless digits in a bank account. I don’t even understand why someone would even bother with this frantic wealth accumulation without having children to pass some of it too. Ever see the movie Idiocracy?

By all means have three dogs instead to compensate. The earth will be inherited by those that bread.

Overpopulation is everyone’s problem. If you want kids, fine. Breed on. But never denigrate those who make other choices. The planet may last a little longer thanks to childless citizens, wealthy or otherwise. – Garth

#70 DON on 04.25.19 at 11:12 pm

#47 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:25 pm

“Realtor and Financial Advisor to help you with all your needs….”

Will they ever , truly, be gone?
**********************
Wouldn’t the financial advisor tell you to invest in anything other than Van real estate. Must be a touch of Schizophrenia.

#71 Ponzius Pilatus on 04.25.19 at 11:25 pm

“Crusty Clark was not thinking.
Worst BC premier ever.

#72 Ponzius Pilatus on 04.25.19 at 11:37 pm

#51 akashic record on 04.25.19 at 9:26 pm
#48 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:41 pm

gee whiz.
After months of protests
The light bulb finally went on.

Politicians who cave always crash. – Garth

He caves to delay losing power.

———-
Generalize much?
France is about 15% of
Europe.

#73 Kato on 04.25.19 at 11:40 pm

#69 Changeemall on 04.25.19 at 11:01 pm

______________________________________

My wife and I are early to mid 30’s, not having kids. Some considerations are:
-health, if certain diseases (physical, mental) run in the families
(Some folks are carriers for severe genetic diseases that make having kids with their chosen partner irresponsible)
-desire to raise kids. If one partner doesn’t get their jollies from being a parent, it’ll be a long 18-25 years
-seeing well raised, well-to-do people amount to very little and become a drain on the system. In the best case, kids grow up and contribute to society. This is not every case. I know university educated people who have yet to make dollar one in their field and mooch off friends, family, and yes, the social assistance trough.

Have em if you want em. I don’t think we’re in danger of running out any time soon.

#74 baloney Sandwitch on 04.25.19 at 11:56 pm

$200K income on 3 million forever? Sure if they invest in pot, maybe.

#75 the Jaguar on 04.25.19 at 11:56 pm

I recognize the intended humour of today’s photo, but with all due respect I find it soul destroying that any person would humiliate a dog in such a way, for their own amusement or others.
I wonder how many ‘takes’ were required to get the ‘right shot’. Dignity. It’s for everyone, not just those who walk upright on two legs. Guess I am a party pooper. I think about the brave police dog (now retired) that selflessly dove through a window in my house, captured a bad guy breaking in and stealing stuff and didn’t even mind that his paws were lacerated from the glass of the broken window. A hero. Never forgotten by the Jaguar. Or his partners who walked about on their two hind legs.

#76 n1tro on 04.25.19 at 11:59 pm

#66 IHCTD9 on 04.25.19 at 10:47 pm
#48 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:41 pm
gee whiz.
After months of protests
The light bulb finally went on.

——-

Macron “fights back” with tax cuts?

Isn’t that like a bank teller fighting a robbery by handing over bags of money?
—————–
The bags are filled with small denominated bills.

#77 DON on 04.26.19 at 12:04 am

#48 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.25.19 at 8:41 pm

gee whiz.
After months of protests
The light bulb finally went on.

Politicians who cave always crash. – Garth

*************

They just need to work a little bit harder.

Via google

“French employees worked 40.4 hours a week on average in 2015, according to Eurostat, down from 41.2 hours in 2011. The political right and some corporate interests say the 35-hour week is the cause of France’s stagnant economy and its near-record unemployment.Apr 13, 2017”

He’s at 30% in the ratings and he’s seen as an elitist by some. I wonder what type of cake he likes.

I also wonder if he will offer weed legalization, electoral reform, and or promise jobs. New jobs in the weed industry, perhaps. As the World turns. The right wing in Italy is meeting with the right wing in France and stirring the pot.

@Dolce – What’s the scoop on marijuana use (etc) in Italy?

#78 DON on 04.26.19 at 12:13 am

#69 Changeemall on 04.25.19 at 11:01 pm

*******************
If you have kids, I hope you teach them to be better than yourself. My 9 year old watches me write over my shoulder and questions what I am saying. Saves me from saying the wrong thing in the wrong way.

#79 Smoking Man on 04.26.19 at 1:01 am

#80 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.26.19 at 1:07 am

@#54 IHCTDC9
“once I get millions of dollars from the federal Libs to fix my freezer!”

+++++

I’m sorry.
You have to be a multimillionaire that has donated several hundred thousand Canuck bucks to the Liberal Party re-election coffers to get a $12 MILLION dollar ‘carbon upgrade” to your refrigerators…..

Silly…. middle class….Hu-man

#81 drydock on 04.26.19 at 1:10 am

If you think we have problems now.

#82 drydock on 04.26.19 at 1:15 am

And.

#83 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.26.19 at 1:21 am

@#69 Change at all

Seriously?
With all the people on this planet that need food, water and shelters( we will ignore their garbage and sh!t) and you dont see a prob with an ever increasing population?
9 billion?
10?
15?
Who am I to judge?
” Let them immigrate to countries without kids….”

Yeah , that’ll solve everything.
Ignore the crop failures.
Ignore the bug failures.
Ignore the extreme weather.
Childless people ARE the future of this planet.
Until countries say,
“Nope! Not takin any more people. Voters wont allow it. Sorry”
Then the shite hits the fan….
Wasnt too long ago illegal ships full of migrants were landing on BC’s shores.

Just wait.
When the world economy takes a crap or an unforseen natural disaster hits…..

You politically correct social justice warriors aint seen nuthin yet.

#84 SoggyShorts on 04.26.19 at 2:11 am

#69 Changeemall on 04.25.19 at 11:01 pm
*********************
I assure you that most who have made the choice to forgo unleashing their particular brand of crotch goblins on the world do not have the intention to “frantically accumulate wealth.”
There are plenty of enjoyable pursuits that are simply much more affordable and often simply more doable without dragging around extra mouths to feed.
For those of us who cringe at the site of a snot-nosed child and who loathe nothing more than the sound of infantile wailing the choice is an easy one.

People are people, so as long as the human race isn’t in danger of running out, I don’t care where more come from. Have fun being a breeder.

#85 Dolce Vita on 04.26.19 at 4:25 am

#60 Smoking Man

“The liberals will be decimated come October.”

I agree. I smoke. I’m a Lefty. 2 out of 3, not bad.

It’s gotten so bad for Trudeau that Canadians are pining for Harper as seen on a Ben Shapiro YouTube video promoting Harper’s book (link below). Here are some of the Lefty Comments:

“I remember being in high school and being brainwashed to hate Harper…Listening to Harper now, he makes a lot of sense.”

“How the times change your opinion of someone. Never voted for Harper, but listening to him here was a really good experience. I listened to Justin Trudeau speak after watching this video and felt like my brain melted.”

“After watching this video, HARPER is incredibly insightful and intelligent. It’s amazing how the liberal media acts as propagandists. I regret voting for Justin Trudeau that ousted Harper.”

AND ON, AND ON, AND ON. 5,937 Comments – most from Canadians. Statistically speaking, significant. NOT A SINGLE KIND WORD about Trudeau. Got tired of scrolling the Comments looking for a Trudeau supporter.

Reading the above of shows that the writing is on the wall come this October.

I say the current brand of Trudeau “Liberalism” will end up like Kim Campbell in 1993. I do not think he will even hold on to his Papineau seat.

————————————

GARTH, don’t get mad but there were some CLASSIC comments in the above mentioned video such as:

“Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again” (my favorite)

“Jesus. This guy is a proper politician unlike that teenage girl running the country just now.”

“For the love of God, can you run for PM again?”

YUP, CANADIANS BIDING THEIR TIME UNTIL OCTOBER. Every so often, they take a moment, PER THE ABOVE, to vent.

————————————

And ya, Harper really is smart. We messed up voting him out.

Buona Mattina e Ciao d’Italia.

#86 jess on 04.26.19 at 7:13 am

how housing has become expensive housing sell 35xs in an hour on hftrading…parking money asset called housing most rentable …foreclosures cheap bulk buying privatization of housing around the world.

Like a landlord on speed’: Documentary shows how trading homes on the stock market can increase your rent

People don’t realize their home is on stock market, says UN’s special rapporteur on adequate housing
CBC Radio · Posted: Apr 25, 2019 8:08 AM ET | Last Updated: April 25

#87 IHCTD9 on 04.26.19 at 7:40 am

#67 Moses71 on 04.25.19 at 10:55 pm
Hi no.65
Do you need to borrow my lipstick? Lol
__

You got some in camo? Maybe some olive drab, or desert tan?

I’m down, as long as it matches the beard. :)

#88 IHCTD9 on 04.26.19 at 7:41 am

#76 n1tro on 04.25.19 at 11:59 pm

The bags are filled with small denominated bills.
____

Or maybe just some hot air…

#89 ImGonnaBeSick on 04.26.19 at 7:46 am

#74 baloney Sandwitch on 04.25.19 at 11:56 pm
$200K income on 3 million forever? Sure if they invest in pot, maybe.
———–
Calculator broken? 3m yielding 6.75% is 202.5k. Figure it out.

60% stocks / 40% bonds
Historical Risk/Return (1926–2017)
Average annual return 8.8%
Best year (1933) 36.7%
Worst year (1931) –26.6%
Years with a loss 20 of 92

#90 Jager on 04.26.19 at 7:55 am

Point of no return?

This morning M. Armstrong reports that the BoJ and ECB have finally created a gordian knot in their respective bond markets. BoJ and ECB reportedly holding 70% + and 40% of bond debt respectively. No bid auctions yet compelled to keep buying to avoid a panic. Could this be the trigger to usher in a painful global downturn? Will QE 4 (or is it 5) commence shortly?

#91 Tater on 04.26.19 at 8:02 am

#39 Westsider on 04.25.19 at 7:24 pm
CORRECTION
2008 – Gas:$1.35 per litre Oil prices:$146 per barrel
2018 – Gas $1.319 per litre Oil prices: $67.79 per barrel
Go figure!!!Something is wrong here and it ain’t all taxes!!!
—————————————————————-
USDCAD makes up a good portion of that.

#92 dharma bum on 04.26.19 at 8:11 am

#11 Linda

——————————————————————

Obviously, they suffer from some sort of mental instability.

Look at their track record.

Buy high, sell low, pay fees. Repeat. Then think about repeating again.

It’s either mental illness, or they are both dipping into the pharmaceutical stash that hubby works with on a daily basis.

When a situation is so obvious, but those involved cannot see the forest for the trees, it’s either a mental problem, or drugs.

They need an intervention.

#93 jess on 04.26.19 at 8:15 am

regnery II publishing house -white nationalists (richard spencer….

#94 NoName on 04.26.19 at 8:16 am

#59 LP on 04.25.19 at 10:20 pm
#29 NoName on 04.25.19 at 6:07 pm
********************************

F71ON

That was other person statement. I did wonder a same.

Probably one of the reasons why i am reading book mentioned yesterday, is for me to try to understand why people are beehaving way that perosn did yesterday.

Here is a small bit from books preface, that mentions “tirany of conformity” (my words).

#95 Jager on 04.26.19 at 8:20 am

Have no fear gentle reader. It’s very unlikely PT(lite) will be re-elected. Libs or Cons in a minority government? Highly unlikely but nothing (as they say) is impossible…

#96 IHCTD9 on 04.26.19 at 8:29 am

#73 Kato on 04.25.19 at 11:40 pm

My wife and I are early to mid 30’s, not having kids. Some considerations are:
-health, if certain diseases (physical, mental) run in the families

___

IMHO, the vast majority of folks can’t logic and reason themselves into a sound decision on whether to have kids or not. It doesn’t work like that.

You have kids for no individual sound logical reasons. They are born on the expectations of others, and of culture, they are born via accident, they are born through lifestyle familiarity and desires. If logic and reason dictated – pretty much no one would have kids. Also, no one can predict what the future brings with respect to kids – you go in nearly blind, hit the ground running, and roll with the punches just like anything else you do.

Kids for the most part – just happen. Years after the fact, I know of no one who will admit to a burning individual desire to have kids. Most acted on expectations, and lifestyle desires.

However, as any parent will attest – kids endear themselves to you very quickly, and like nothing else ever will. Women become emotionally attached even before giving birth. Once you have ’em, you would not do it differently if you had a chance to do things over (some exceptions of course).

The reason you’ve decided to not have kids, is because you’ve thought about it in a pragmatic way. This guarantees a thumbs down as the logic for reproduction only shows up when groups of people are involved – not individuals. For the parents themselves who have never had kids before, all they are going to see is work, money, and time “down the drain”.

#97 TurnerNation on 04.26.19 at 8:36 am

I would question the 7 billion + people figure as it’s being used as weapon to crush our morale. Doomers seizing it .

-For the past ~20 years many countries in the middle east (Iraq, Afghan, Yemen, SYria) have been totally pounded, more bombs dropped onto them than WW2 (we’re the good guys wink wink). The few survivors have been shipped elsewhere. A few vids even made it out of the phosphorus WMD dropped onto cities.

– WEstern births as mentioned, are dropping. And the Economic maliase in Europe, Russia I imagine does not lead to much growth.

– In AFrica AIDS is fully weaponized and taking its toll. REcall this disease came out of nowhere to target specifics.

– The #1 cause of lack of babies in USA is abortion. I’m not making a value judgement, rater reporting why babies are not happening.

Doombers:
– Technology has never been better, ever kids can get an education via an Ipad now, I see them using one at 3 years old. Wifi is free outside.
– Food technology has never been better. I’ve seen the large outdoor tanks growing farmed fish. We need not take the oceans.

– WEED: have you read the companies’ news releases? Acres and areas of indoor growing space is set up. If only they were growing food. They could. Technology yo.

– We have as many people now because it’s totally possible . Fly over USA, China, Russia, Canada, Austrailia and see…masses of EMPTY area. Some is farmable, some is not. Tons of clean water too.

Desalination, UV water cleaning technology in poor areas. Sure our elites wont’ allow this built on a mass scale, but we have the technology to feed, water everyone. False scarcity. But if you want an indoor ski hill Dubai is your place.

#98 n1tro on 04.26.19 at 8:39 am

#75 the Jaguar on 04.25.19 at 11:56 pm
—————————-
Yeah photographer should be dragged out on the street and publicly stoned! Same goes for the ones who take babies to dress up like cute plants/vegetables and photograph them in large fake pots. The nerve of some people makes my blood boil!

#99 Stan Brooks on 04.26.19 at 8:48 am

This is the face of the health-care crisis’: Nova Scotia woman who waited two years for cancer diagnosis speaks out in viral video

Health crisis? No way. How dares she to question that great, fantastic, best in the world health care system?

And how dare all these retirees, savers and people on fixed income to question the official ‘inflation’ of 2 % when their rents and groceries, essentials rise north of 8 % annually, how do they have the nerve to defend their right to eat and live, disturbing the fulfilling life of the ‘credit wealthy’ brainwashed idiots?

#100 Stan Brooks on 04.26.19 at 8:51 am

#96 Stan Brooks on 04.26.19 at 8:48 am

Would we get the socks boy to apologize in tears?

Of course not.

#101 Tater on 04.26.19 at 9:04 am

#3 Lead Paint on 04.25.19 at 4:22 pm
#115 Tater on 04.25.19 at 7:56 am

———————————————————–

Glad you enjoyed. Part of my day job is explaining complicated finance stuff to clients, so writing things like this help me organize thoughts and come up with analogies.

#102 IHCTD9 on 04.26.19 at 9:05 am

#80 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.26.19 at 1:07 am
@#54 IHCTDC9
“once I get millions of dollars from the federal Libs to fix my freezer!”

+++++

I’m sorry.

Silly…. middle class….Hu-man
____

Damn! – always a catch to these deals…

#103 Tater on 04.26.19 at 9:07 am

#34 SoggyShorts on 04.25.19 at 6:52 pm
@tater 115 yesterday

@past the peak
**********************
So what’s going up 5-10% per year?
—————————————————————

The geographic bits is something I should have included!

Monetary policy needs to be set for the nation as a whole and what might be appropriate to keep the GVA/GTA housing markets in line would crush the small business of Saskatchewan.

One of the things I really like about the stress test is it was an attempt to reign in excess in the housing market in a very targeted way.

#104 Boomer Bill on 04.26.19 at 9:18 am

#96 IHCTD9 on 04.26.19 at 8:29 am

“Also, no one can predict what the future brings with respect to kids – you go in nearly blind, hit the ground running, and roll with the punches just like anything else you.”

You will really enjoy this tune from the excellent musical the Fantasticks. A great tune that says what you stated above. Enjoy!

#105 JB on 04.26.19 at 9:31 am

#85 Dolce Vita on 04.26.19 at 4:25 am

#60 Smoking Man
“The liberals will be decimated come October.”
I agree. I smoke. I’m a Lefty. 2 out of 3, not bad.

Reading the above of shows that the writing is on the wall come this October.

————————————

“Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again” (my favorite)

“For the love of God, can you run for PM again?”

————————————

And ya, Harper really is smart. We messed up voting him out.

Buona Mattina e Ciao d’Italia.
……………………………………………………………………
Mr Socks, T2, selfie boy or whatever moniker is applied to the Drama Queen will be gone in October if Canadians really want to wake up and see what this miserable excuse for a Prime Minister has done to our country. His legacy will be that he gave us legal marijuana! Big deal. He has decimated our manufacturing by stonewalling on important civil projects and by trying to be the world leader in civil rights and woman’s rights while throwing both under the bus at the same time. His hypocrisy on greening the world is hilarious. This guy burns up more fuel than all of the last three Prime ministers combined. He jet-sets himself and his family around the world burning carbon and our tax dollars just to be in a photo op. Wake up Canada! Vote this piece of ##$% out in October. Trudeau’s last official message to us will hopefully will be “Football Season Is Over”.

#106 Shawn Allen on 04.26.19 at 9:53 am

Respect the Choices of Others

**********************
It would be nice not to denigrate the other choice as well. … Even when provoked.

#107 Citizen on 04.26.19 at 9:54 am

Hey Garth,

Heard this on the CBC yesterday.

Wonder if you had any opinion on this

Totally irrelevant to Canada. – Garth

#108 Ubul on 04.26.19 at 9:58 am

#96 IHCTD9

You nailed it.

It is one of those experiences that you can’t imagine what you are missing out in your life without doing it.

There is no shortage of excuses to avoid the experience, like for anything else in life.

#109 IHCTD9 on 04.26.19 at 10:28 am

#104 Boomer Bill on 04.26.19 at 9:18 am
#96 IHCTD9 on 04.26.19 at 8:29 am

___

I’ll have to wait till later to listen to it – but I Googled the lyrics:

“Plant a radish.
Get a radish.
Never any doubt.
That’s why I love vegetables;
You know what you’re about!

Plant a turnip.
Get a turnip.
Maybe you’ll get two.
That’s why I love vegetables;
You know that they’ll come through!

They’re dependable!
They’re befriendable!
They’re the best pal a parent’s ever known!
While with children,
It’s bewilderin’.
You don’t know until the seed is nearly grown
Just what you’ve sown.”

True, and sort of…

…ominous. :)

#110 Penny Henny on 04.26.19 at 10:35 am

Not investing could cost you roughly $40,000 over the next couple of years if a balanced portfolio delivers the same average return as over the last eight.-GT

That sounds a lot like FOMO

It’s all about balancing risks, as stated. Best work on your reading comprehension. – Garth

#111 Changeemall on 04.26.19 at 11:05 am

The planet will be fine regardless of your breeding pattern or lack thereof. Western people whose ancestors created the greatest civilization of the known history are willingly removing themselves from existence.

“We’re so self-important. Everybody’s going to save something now. “Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails.” And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet.” – George Carlin

Anybody who has traveled to other parts of the world knows that environmentalism is something that is almost exclusively a western concern. Way to save the planet by leaving behind only people who give zero craps about the environment.

I can and will judge westerners who don’t breed and leave my children to deal with a messed up future. I understand some don’t have any connection to their ancestors that view blood, genetics, nationhood as archaic ideas… the rootless, stateless globalist mindset. One doesn’t need much more proof that ideologies are far more dangerous than overpopulation.

#112 Shawn Allen on 04.26.19 at 11:32 am

An anonymous person at 111 said:

********************************
I believe “western” scientists were greatly assisted by the use of Arabic numerals. Think about that. The contributions to science and industry and civilization of many non-western peoples and people is greater than most westerners realize.

The notion that “western” people are “better” than people from other parts of the world is wrong as well as repugnant.

We all originated out of Africa not all that long ago in the grand scheme of time.

Certainly some individual western people are not fine people.

This is a matter is who is your “we de jour”. This commenter decided that his “we” of the moment was western people. It would be nice if our “we” more often was all humans.

#113 Stan Brooks on 04.26.19 at 11:46 am

#91 Tater on 04.26.19 at 8:02 am
#39 Westsider on 04.25.19 at 7:24 pm
CORRECTION
2008 – Gas:$1.35 per litre Oil prices:$146 per barrel
2018 – Gas $1.319 per litre Oil prices: $67.79 per barrel
Go figure!!!Something is wrong here and it ain’t all taxes!!!
—————————————————————-
USDCAD makes up a good portion of that.

You said yesterday that US inflation methodologies do not apply to the loonie. That our statistics is better.

Now you state in plain text that the worthless loonie depreciates against the USD so our inflation is higher than theirs.

I hope those raccoon asses used in the substitution statistics are tasty.

As for your client whom you provide with investment advice: God help them.

#114 NoName on 04.26.19 at 12:40 pm

#112 Shawn Allen on 04.26.19 at 11:32 am
An anonymous person at 111 said:

********************************

Yrs ago i was watching documentary on teevee about numbers and during a how they mention that use of indo-arabic numbers become increasingly popular when “bankers” (guy exchanging money) realized that rounding up its easier on “paper” than on abacus. Probably in same show mentioned how bankrupt word evolved around same time.

If the person who was exchanging money was cheating on a coustomers, soldiers would come and demolish that persons place of businesses.

Banka Rompre. – bankrupt
! !!
Bench Broken

#115 Captain Uppa on 04.26.19 at 12:41 pm

>>Sounds like a white supremacist argument for breeding. Shame on you. People are people, and there are too damn many of them. – Garth>>

I wasn’t going to say anything but you have reiterated over and over on this thread that there are too many people.

My question is this: isn’t population growth, say from 2.5B to 7B, correlated to market growth? More consumption = better portfolio returns.

Doesn’t seem like the goal of humanity, does it? – Garth

#116 Tater on 04.26.19 at 12:45 pm

#113 Stan Brooks on 04.26.19 at 11:46 am
#91 Tater on 04.26.19 at 8:02 am
#39 Westsider on 04.25.19 at 7:24 pm
CORRECTION
2008 – Gas:$1.35 per litre Oil prices:$146 per barrel
2018 – Gas $1.319 per litre Oil prices: $67.79 per barrel
Go figure!!!Something is wrong here and it ain’t all taxes!!!
—————————————————————-
USDCAD makes up a good portion of that.

I hope those raccoon asses used in the substitution statistics are tasty.

As for your client whom you provide with investment advice: God help them.
—————————————————————-

Never said investment advice, Stan. Remember, reading is fundamental.

And what inflation when gas is cheaper in CAD in 2018 vs 2008?

#117 Captain Uppa on 04.26.19 at 12:55 pm

>>Doesn’t seem like the goal of humanity, does it? – Garth>>

If one wants average returns of 7% a year in their balanced portfolio, get used to population growth.

Also, I believe we will eventually colonize space. Don’t be so dour, things are looking uppa, Uppa, UPPA!!!

#118 JB on 04.26.19 at 1:12 pm

No heat, water or hydro for 6 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha, I have friend who owns one of these crappy condos. Man is he pissed. The best part is he is a lawyer.

#119 SoggyShorts on 04.26.19 at 1:32 pm

#97 TurnerNation on 04.26.19 at 8:36 am
**************************
Ummm no. Not even close.

About half Americans are women.
About half of those are of childbearing age.
More than half of those are having hetero sex at least few times per year.
Approximately 10% of those are “infirtile”
That’s
300,000,000/2/2/2*.9 = 33,750,000

So why are there only about 5,000,000 births and not 30,000,000? There are far fewer than 1m abortions…

Maybe contraception is the #1 reason? Duh.

#120 NoName on 04.26.19 at 1:36 pm

@Tractor dude

Mrs NN extends her simphaty to Mrs IH.

#121 not 1st on 04.26.19 at 1:56 pm

So now we go from climate hysteria to population hysteria. The entire world population could fit in the state of texas with room to spare. Give me a freaking break.

#122 BCBungled on 04.26.19 at 2:13 pm

Alexa’s story is eerily similair to mine: 30, married, 3 kids under 5. sold both a townhouse in glenmore, and detached house in west kelowna each after 2 years of owning. Made some dough on each sale, but now renting an older townhouse in central kelowna close to everything for 2100 a month. nothing worth buying in this town for under $700,000 and would require gutting of our investments to do so, not to mention the monthly carrying costs being 80% higher than our rent.

#123 Dolce Vita on 04.26.19 at 2:42 pm

#105 JB

SO TRUE. I’m a Liberal 12/14 Federal Elections (1 for Mulroney to cut the deficit…like that happened and 1 for Jack ’cause the other 2 sucked).

Trudeau does not represent the Liberal banner I liked as was under Chretien and Martin, or even Pearson for that matter.

Hell, even I’d vote Harper if he ran (holding my nose all the way).

As I have said and will continue to say that after the October Federal Election the real political story will be:

The MANY Liberals THAT held their nose and voted Conservative just to get rid of Trudeau (Garth’s “kick the bums out”).

I will travel the 3 hrs via our very excellent high speed Frecciarossa train to Milan to cast a vote (or 5 hrs to Rome if need be).

It will not be for Trudeau.

I am that determined to show him, and his brand of Liberalism, the door.

Hopefully, a new CREW will emerge to rebuild the Liberal brand to what it once was.

It pains me to read the anger my fellow Canadians have for Trudeau and that video was in Nov. of last year. Imagine if it had been released recently…venom would be an understatement.

#124 Dolce Vita on 04.26.19 at 2:56 pm

In the beginning there was:

“Dude. There are 7.7 billion people on the planet. There were 2.5 billion when I was born. Wake up. ~ Garth”

Many back and forth Genesis Begats later (you know the part, Adam & Eve –> 7.7 Billion later), we end with:

“I detect no hysteria in this conversation, which is actually about having children. The choice not to is as valid as the decision to propagate. – Garth”

…what’s there not to love about this Blog and its Creator.

On that last “Begat” I’d agree.

The geopolitical ramifications of procreation is the LAST thing on my mind during the act of COITUS.

And so it should be…unless you’re a spy trying to infiltrate Government secrets using sex…

Ya, I know Garth, Buonanotte.

#125 not 1st on 04.26.19 at 3:09 pm

—-

Absolutely but if you are making decision based on false information then that’s a problem. If AOC is telling you the world will self destruct and you pass your child bearing years and then find out the earth is still here and doing fine.

Again you were the one to make the supposed sacrifice and nobody else did. just like the bloody carbon tax. There is no greater wealth in this planet than your own family. Our elite have tons of kids while telling you not to. Our elite jet around like celebrities while telling you to put on a sweater.

Bitter much? Some people want families. Some don’t. Just leave it be. – Garth

#126 NoName on 04.26.19 at 3:27 pm

Is this funny ot what.

and for F150 haters

While competitors are spending millions of dollars in an increasingly intense battle to claim the title as No. 2 best-selling pickup, the Ford F-Series is not only holding onto the top slot but expanding its lead.

#127 Deplorable Dude on 04.26.19 at 3:35 pm

R.e. Not having kids…

You only exist because every single one of your ancestors survived long enough to have children.

By choosing not to have children one is choosing to end their branch of a family tree that has existed for a 100,000 years or so. If they are also a single child there is a chance their family name will also cease to exist. In my case I have a very rare surname….my son is the only chance my surname to live on…My brother chose to be childless, and there are no other male children on my side of our family.

As for population growth I believe Africa is forecast to have by far the biggest growth over the next century. A continent that seems unable to drag itself into the 21st century (or even the 20th century)…..mass migration is forecast…to Europe…

Totally. Who wouldn’t want “Deporable Dude” to be passed on? – Garth

#128 Blacksheep on 04.26.19 at 4:00 pm

“So now we go from climate hysteria to population hysteria.”

“The entire world population could fit in the state of texas with room to spare. Give me a freaking break.
Just a few months ago Doug was salivating at India and chinas and africas population growing by another 3 billion people telling people to go long on appliances. Hypocrisy abounds.”

————————————————
Ah yes finally, the dreaded population control discussion….

“The world has just over a decade to get climate change under control, U.N. scientists say”

—————————————–
I believe the claim that man made climate change has doomed the planet in 12 years is 100% propagandist bullshit and I can prove it with just two simple points:

1) Why is there a “price per ton” being applied to carbon (now considered just the cost of doing business Tax) instead of governments mandating Co2 output reductions (filters / capture or whatever) to be applied on level playing field, to all operators of a given sector?

Think of how the gov applies emissions regulations to the auto sector and all manufactures just adjust operations and pass the cost on to the consumer, but at least the pollution is stopped/reduced. The auto manufactures cannot just, BUY their way out of curbing said emissions.

2) Why is no one (climate doom weenies?) adult enough to suggest a nice soft population reduction via limiting birth rates, per couple? I mean I get it’s a heavy discussion, but the world is ending with out immediate action, right? Solution: Two adults = Two kids to start with (maybe one kid?) and nature will thin the herd from there. You want REAL change/action, here it is.

Until these two ridiculously obvious, LOW HANGING fruit are at least addressed, anyone that uses the term/theory of “Man made climate change” as an argument/justification for just more and more carbon taxation of the masses, is a fool….

#129 The Real Mark on 04.26.19 at 4:02 pm

“#23 Ross Kay on 04.25.19 at 5:33 pm
#18 The Real Mark on 04.25.19 at 5:20 pm

A while longer I’d say.”

Thank you, Ross Kay.

Your experience is legendary and your podcasts phenomenal.

I’m a very big fan of yours.

#130 jess on 04.26.19 at 4:13 pm

and didn’t that governor refused to recount!

Ari Berman
Senior Reporter

Federal Court Strikes Down Republican Gerrymanders in Michigan
The Michigan GOP intentionally discriminated against Democrats, the judges found.
======
recount in n. carolina found the election fraud to the point of a new election
======
penn.
Pennsylvania voting machines are eminently hackable | Pittsburgh …

Dec 15, 2018 – The majority of machines on which Pennsylvanians vote present a clear and present danger to the security of our elections and trust in our …

#131 tccontrarian on 04.26.19 at 4:34 pm

” detect no hysteria in this conversation, which is actually about having children. The choice not to is as valid as the decision to propagate.” – Garth
/////////

Having children is an “investment” in our species.
And, according to Turner Investments, it’s stupid to NOT do it (whilst staying Balanced and Diversified, of course! Now, does this mean you need at least 2 partners willing to pro-create multiple times??)

TCC

TCC

#132 Adam on 04.26.19 at 11:21 pm

Choosing not to have kids is a fair choice, not everyone should, particularly if they aren’t prepared to meet the task with the attention it requires.

But it is indeed taking your cards off the table in a way, an absence of skin in the game. It is somewhat of a tragedy when our best and brightest elect not to reproduce – it’s bound to have a negative effect on the species as a whole.

#133 goodluck on 04.27.19 at 1:22 am