Bad to the bone

About the picture: “I was out running errands today,” says Scott, “and when I looked over and saw this guy with his set up I immediately thought of what a great picture for one of your blog posts. I didn’t have much time to snap a pic, but here it is from the lovely Cowichan Valley in the highly over regulated, over governed and anti-business province of BC.”
_______________________________________________________

Mueller, blah, blah. Brexit, blah, blah. Inverted yield curve, blah, blah. Lavalin, blah, blah.

Let’s take a few minutes and kick off the new week with insignificance. Macroeconomic navel-gazing. First up is Franco, renting and vexing in a dodgy west end Tranna hood.

“Hey Garth: (Insert standard blog suck up). I have an interesting opportunity I was hoping to get your feedback on. I currently rent a 3 bedroom detached home in Roncesvalles from a friend’s father, who is giving me a stellar deal ($2000 + utilities, and I get to sublet the basement for $1050). It’s a solid house in a great neighbourhood, doesn’t need much reno work but I would probably open the back wall to let some more light in.

“The owner wants to sell me the house. I could never qualify to get into this housing market, as I am a high school English teacher making 50k a year, 37 years old and single (recently divorced). I have about 50k (30k of which is in an RRIF) in investments, and am starting to build a small portfolio of ETFs, etc. The owner of the home is willing to lend a second mortgage to me at a good rate (probably 5%). So I would just have to qualify with the big banks for a downpayment of 20% to him, and then I would pay him additionally on top of the bank.

“I am thinking of offering him 1M or 900k for the property based on the comparables I have researched and the current market conditions. My plan would be to renovate the basement slightly (put in a proper kitchen) and up my tenant’s rent from $1,050 to $1300 most likely.

“Any thoughts? Would I be insane to get into this market now, or should I take the hand that is being extended? I would never have an opportunity like this on my own, and they are basically treating me like family since we’ve been friends for about 20 years. Grateful for any counsel, and would appreciate if you didn’t post this situation on your blog! (My friend might be reading!)”

Okay, we’ll call you Jim. And you must be on drugs. Or just a dreamy, detached, financially illiterate English teacher.

I mean, get a grip, Jimbo. You have a grand total of $50,000, most of which is (for some reason) in a RRIF and doesn’t even qualify for the Home Buyers Plan loan. That means closing costs alone (double land transfer tax – after the first-timers rebate – plus legals) would eat up all your after-tax cash. On top, it sounds like you plan on borrowing the downpayment (20%) plus taking a second mortgage – plus looking for primary financing.

The bottom line will be 100% debt. So, a $1,000,000 mortgage. First, you don’t qualify to carry that amount of financing. Second, you’d fail the stress test in spectacular fashion. Third, the landlord/owner has obviously discovered you’re a total rube and is happy to unload this place on you without conscience. Fourth, you have zero money for renos. Fifth, if you make structural changes and put in a kitchen for the tenant, the property’s appreciation (if any materializes) will be subject to capital gains tax. Sixth, did she divorce you over money? Would make sense.

About the picture: “I am not a pet person but I just had to take this photo and email it to you for the blog,” says Jason. “I was in Bangkok a few days ago in Chinatown and saw this. I titled it ‘Dog in a hog’.”

_________________________________________________________

“Here is my situation’” writes Michael.

“I turn 52 this year.  I paid off my home this year….but I have contributed nothing to my RRSP in the last 10 years.  However, I have a LOC outstanding with 100k on it.  Question….do I now max out my RRSP and then use the tax rebate, apply it to the LOC….making small payments  to the LOC or Max out payments to LOC, paying it down, contributing small amount to RRSP.

“I have about 150k in RRSP contributions unused. I feel totally screwed about what to do here.  My slanty semi is in need of major renos and is showing it’s age now.  Every week something needs repair….that can’t be put off.”

Lots we don’t know about you, but assuming you want to retire in about a decade and (like most people) don’t have a DB pension, you’re way behind the curve in terms of liquid assets. If you have the cash to max your RRSP room, do it. That $150,000 will net a big refund (depending on income) – maybe thirty grand. Maybe more. Plunk that against the LOC.

If that line is unsecured, it likely has a rate of prime plus 2% or more – putting it in the 6% range. Change into a secured line against the house and the rate should decline to prime plus a half, or less than 4.5%. Of course, you could convert it into a new mortgage at sub-3%. If the principal amount were increased by a hundred grand or so, you’d have (a) reduced the cost of debt servicing, (c) found another $100,000 to grow for your retirement and (c) created a tax-deductible mortgage.

Worst choice: feeding the house.

About the picture: Here is some evidence he is still alive. “This could only happen,” says Smoking Man, “in southern California…”

_________________________________________________________

“Long time fan of your blog which I must say has been an interesting read over the last 5+ years,” writes Howard, who has a spouse problem. Maybe.

“I’m thinking of buying a home in Oakville.  Wife says rent as prices are crazy expensive. Need I say Help!!! We sold our home in Milton in Feb 2018 and been on rent so far. Our budget $800,000 max will get us a new 1800sqft+ freehold townhouse in a decent area within a 10 minute drive to GO station as me and wife both work downtown Toronto. Both have decent jobs. We can qualify for more but don’t want more.

“So here are some numbers – if we Rent, for a family of 4 (yes we’ve 2 teenagers) it’ll cost at least $2600-2800/ month to get a similar home in same area. Utilities are same for buy and rent. If we buy our monthly mortgage payment will be around the same amount with a 20%down for a $800k townhouse.  Plus $400/month for taxes and insurance.

“We intend living here for at least 5 years. So the rent outlay will be (2600*60= $156,000). So total monthly outlay In both situations will be about $3000 per month. If we buy we will have reduced our mortgage over 5 years and have some equity and worst case scenario 2-3% annual appreciation which is very typical for Oakville. If we rent – what do I have to show after 5 years?

“Really appreciate your insight as we have to take a decision very soon as our lease is coming up and wife and kids are 100% decided on moving to Oakville- better schools and less daily commute from Toronto for both of us. It takes 25 minutes in express train. Helppppppp…….”

Listen to her, H. And run the numbers again.

You’ll need at least $180,000 to close the deal, then a mortgage of $640,000. The payments on that are $3,100. Add in property tax (Oakville is expensive) plus insurance, and it’s at least $3,600. Remember you have given up the growth on $180,000 – which needs to be factored in. So add $900/month. Thus the cost of ownership is $4,500 a month. With no renos, no maintenance and no surprises.

That’s a good 60% premium over renting with no guarantee whatsoever townhouses selling for $800,000 in 2019 will command $950,000 in five years. You’d need that amount to break even after paying commission and to make up for the monetary advantage of renting.

The bottom line: there’s no financial case for buying. Invest the down payment instead – starting with fully-funded, fat RESPs for your teens. Your first obligation is to the family you created. She knows.

#1 Red falcon on 03.24.19 at 1:30 pm

Oh ya investing is best!! And dividends are awesome!! And um, first!!!

#2 Feraldream on 03.24.19 at 2:45 pm

I have been reading your blog for the last 4/5 months daily from the day I discovered it, which happened when Pinithomes went offline and redirected to this, as you like to call it, ‘pathetic’ blog. I was looking to buy a condo in the GTA and referenced pinithomes a lot. At first I was mightily upset. Within 3 months I realized what a blessing it has actually been. I would pay a subscription for your blog if I had to – its brilliant. Thank you. And no, I have no questions for you other than a request to NOT discontinue the blog as you may have alluded to as a possibility a week or so ago. So this suck-up has no ulterior motive. Other than to request that you keep on keeping on. Love the blog, thanks again.

cheers

#3 Paul on 03.24.19 at 2:51 pm

Here is my situation’” writes Michael.

“I turn 52 this year. I paid off my home this year….but I have contributed nothing to my RRSP in the last 10 years. However, I have a LOC outstanding with 100k on it.
————————————————————————————————
I allways wonder when people say paid off the house,but I have a LOC on it, A LOC is a mortgage,
When calculating a sellers net proceeds I have a $200,000 mortgage oh great the net will X then you ask a few questions and hear about the second mortgage the Heloc, the rental/loan on the Hvac system, hot water tank, Home Depot card for the new kitchen, the car payment and the $17,500 credit card. People are definitely not richer than they think.

#4 TurnerNation on 03.24.19 at 3:03 pm

You know you spend too much time on this weblog when begin seeing these type of click ads elsewhere.

– Smoking Man’s one weird trick drives casinos crazy.
– Toronto man parties sobar – and totally regrets it.
– Cure the common cold using the little known Harvey Wallbanger method*.
– So you went out bozzing…then this happened.

*I might be dating myself with that reference.

#5 KJ on 03.24.19 at 3:16 pm

That’s a good 60% premium over renting with no guarantee whatsoever townhouses selling for $800,000 in 2019 will command $950,000 in five years.”

Are you guaranteeing growth on the $180k? I do think real estate is overdone and will continue to pullback….but so will the stock market IMO. Last 10 years great…10 years prior to that not so great! #Cycles

Where did I say stocks? – Garth

#6 AK on 03.24.19 at 3:26 pm

“Mueller, blah, blah.”
=====================================

Can you imagine this coming to an end? What would CNN and MSNBC do. ?

#7 Mr.Jolly on 03.24.19 at 3:41 pm

Looking forward to the day when Garth’s cynical assumption that the past 100 years have been the historical norm since antiquity and will forever be the norm.
No, we’re living in a 100 yr Central Bank induced suspension of reality, and reality has about had enough of this Bull Shit.

#8 Lost...but not leased on 03.24.19 at 3:46 pm

Maybe it’s just moi…

…..but after reading this post and viewing the attached photos, I have these subliminal messages to invest in pet food stock and purchase non import crotch rockets….

#9 Marcus on 03.24.19 at 3:55 pm

The tears of the left wing Globalists who tried so very hard to remove Trump do indeed taste ever so sweet. LOL! Total vindication. End of story.

#10 Howard on 03.24.19 at 4:05 pm

Even though your lease is coming up you should be able to go month to month. I can’t see buying a townhouse for at least 5 years either. You both need the Go Train for the core, and you need 3 bedrooms. Move to Port Credit Village, and rent a 3 bedroom apartment all updated for starting at $2292 per month from an established builder. Its a few minutes walk from the Go Train; the mini bus stops nearby taking you everywhere; and a short walk into the Village area for goods and services needed. Sit back during those 5 years watching the townhouse meltdown. Your story tells me you didn’t do your homework.

#11 SoggyShorts on 03.24.19 at 4:16 pm

#7 Mr.Jolly on 03.24.19 at 3:41 pm
***********************
People want stuff.
Companies sell stuff.
People will always want more stuff.
Companies, therefore, get better at making stuff.

What exactly will change this? And are you really looking forward to such an event?

#12 Re-Cowtown on 03.24.19 at 4:31 pm

I heard that Obama was having a salacious affair with Hillary. Can’t prove that it happened, but he’s not exonerated either.

Also heard that Bill Clinton had a salacious affair with a sasquatch. If that was true, PETA needs to be called in. There is absolutely no evidence that proves it didn’t happen so we’d better get a special consel on this now!

#13 Albertan on 03.24.19 at 4:45 pm

#14 Ronaldo on 03.24.19 at 5:01 pm

Interesting paper by Diane J. Macunovich, Dept. of Economics, Barnard college, Columbia Univ. October 2000 – The Baby Boomers

#15 Jimmy on 03.24.19 at 5:01 pm

Today’s blog is Awesome.
Bam bam bam!

#16 Vision on 03.24.19 at 5:16 pm

Hilliard McBeth quotes in his book “ When the bubble bursts, surviving the Real Estate crash” , second Ed
“Any prognosticator who calls for a crash in a bubble asset invariably looks like a fool for a period of time before eventually, perhaps,perhaps, being proven right. In the interim, the forecaster predicting the collapse is contradicted by higher and higher prices leading to greater and greater wealth for the bubble participants who ignore the warnings. Inevitably, the public (and clients if the advisor is in the investment business) develops disdain for the person making the unfortunate “early” prediction.”
———-
Sound familiar?
This book is an interesting read.
But your blog is far more interesting and useful.
I appreciate your continued advice and input!
Thank you Garth!

#17 Leo Trollstoy on 03.24.19 at 5:23 pm

I can see why Franco is an English teacher

#18 Deplorable Dude on 03.24.19 at 5:28 pm

Confirmed….Mueller is a Russian agent…

Oh…and Main Stream Media…..you SUCK…….

Now the real pain really begins…..Declassification.

#19 akashic record on 03.24.19 at 6:01 pm

Hillary Clinton first candidate in US history, who could lose the same election twice.

#20 Dolce Vita on 03.24.19 at 6:06 pm

Well I have to say after reading those 3 stories I feel an order of magnitude better about my retirement and finances. Garth, you should start up a companion Blog along the lines of Dear Abbey and call it:

DEAR GARTHY

And please not “Gartho”, the latter would read too “bro-ish” (in the spirit of Bill C-16, the mere mention of creates an instant buzzkill in the minds of readers).

Like Chef Emeril Lagasse, your responses today were:

BAM! BAM! and BAM!

Love it. Nothing but the facts m’am.

Come to think of it, I often wonder if people just write to you with their stories expecting a good scolding and a moment in the limelight?

#21 the Jaguar on 03.24.19 at 6:07 pm

The Jag doesn’t like the third photo where the sweet dog appears to have something resembling a chain on its lower torso. These photos seem to be cases where a custodian of an animal takes advantage. I get that pets want to be with and near their owners, but don’t dress them up and put them in situations they would not naturally gravitate towards. Reminds me of those who dress up their animals and take photos during christmas, halloween, seasons, etc. ” Ugh.” Anyone who appreciates dogs or cats and their place in our lives should understand their need to maintain their dignity. They are a gift in our lives. Not a subject of our amusement when we think it so…..

#22 not 1st on 03.24.19 at 6:18 pm

Today is a good day to review the narratives that have been pushed.

1. Canadian economy strong, nope not at all. 1.5% GDP and falling.
2. Trump to removed from office, nope, exonerated.
3. Rates going higher, never see them as low as last decade. Nope inverted yield curve, they are going right back down.
4. Mortgages, never see a sub 3% fiver. Oh yeah, you are going to see it again. Definitely.
5. Canadian banks rock solid, nope, they are heavily shorted now in anticipation of mini melt and the 2019 budget assured it with its stupidity.
6. Fed balance sheet, still 5 times higher than its normal size. Unwind not working. They are talking more QE needed.

#23 Dolce Vita on 03.24.19 at 6:24 pm

First off Garth, don’t get upset with me.

“Lavalin, blah, blah”

Over 30 years voted PC once (after Pierre racked up a huge deficit and Mulroney vowed to fix it, he only increased it more, Ciao to my vote Brian) and NDP because of Jack (could not bring myself to vote for Harper or Ignatieff).

But this Lavalin scandal has just rocked, capsized my little Liberal, Left leaning boat. There seems to be no end in sight and Justin thinks he can ride it out with platitudes whilst seriously pissing off women left, right and center – I guess The World of Shrink was correct about self-declared Feminists that they are the worst in treating women with respect.

So Garth, to my little World it’s not “blah, blah”, it’s major the corruption, lies and end running of the Law.

It’s just so all NOT CANADIAN.

If nothing else, Justin won’t last long as the Left EATS ITS OWN so his Night of the Long Knives will come soon enough and if I am wrong, at the hands of the voters in October.

Canada will be better for it and after there will be a sigh of relief.

Buonanotte e Ciao d'[*]Italia.

#24 BlogDog123 on 03.24.19 at 6:24 pm

re: #6 AK on 03.24.19 at 3:26 pm
“Mueller, blah, blah.”
=====================================
Can you imagine this coming to an end? What would CNN and MSNBC do. ?

====

If CNN can spend weeks speculating on the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 and “black holes”, be sure they will milk the Mueller report for yet another year to keep their ratings up.

Was the Mueller report edited by time-travelling political operatives? CNN will get to the bottom of it…

#25 jess on 03.24.19 at 6:27 pm

Homeless in B.C. on 03.22.19 at 5:59 pm Not a word of this in Canadian Media.

Perhaps checking a little further as this fact checker did would have revealed a fake news misinfo amplifier?

#26 Smoking Man on 03.24.19 at 6:29 pm

Expect a huge spike in the markets tomorrow now that Mueller is gone out to paster.

Yes I’m still alive and kicking. Nice dog pics. ;)

#27 Tony on 03.24.19 at 6:39 pm

I thought the first guy was out of his mind until I read about the second guy thinking about buying a townhouse in Oakville. Oakville would rank fourth or fifth as the most overpriced city in all of Canada. Does either of these imbeciles even follow what’s happening to real estate in Australia and many parts of America?

#28 Patty twinkle toes on 03.24.19 at 6:42 pm

I wish you would do more posts like this Gartho
Real people with real financial questions.
Cheers

#29 Tony on 03.24.19 at 6:42 pm

Re: #24 BlogDog123 on 03.24.19 at 6:24 pm

One way or another they’ll get Trump out of office and bust the entire Trump clan. Just like O.J. Simpson once again we’ve seen what happens if you have money. The guilty all walk.

#30 Tony on 03.24.19 at 6:49 pm

Re: #18 Deplorable Dude on 03.24.19 at 5:28 pm

More along the lines of a big stash of cash just went to an overseas tax haven in Mueller’s name from Putin and the Trump foundation.

#31 Dolce Vita on 03.24.19 at 6:53 pm

#24 BlogDog123

“…time-travelling political operatives? CNN will get to the bottom of it…”

CNN already has in their Travel Blog, it was the Klingon’s from Qo’noS (where the “S” = Sweden).

Keep up already…

#32 AK on 03.24.19 at 7:00 pm

#29 Tony on 03.24.19 at 6:42 pm

“One way or another they’ll get Trump out of office and bust the entire Trump clan. ”
====================================

Correct. January 2024 is when President Trump will be leaving office.

So, CNN and MSNBC, along with their 14 member panels, will be around to entertain you with useless propaganda.

#33 AK on 03.24.19 at 7:02 pm

That should read January 2025.

#34 AK on 03.24.19 at 7:07 pm

#24 BlogDog123 on 03.24.19 at 6:24 pm

“That’s easy: MSNBC and CNN will have hour-long specials like: “What the Mueller report DIDN’T say!” “Where the Dems can investigate if Trump was NOT exonerated.””
====================================
LOL. They already started.

#35 TRUMP 2020 on 03.24.19 at 7:26 pm

MUELLER REPORT OUT….

CHANCE OF TRUMP IMPEACHMENT = ZERO

HOWEVER Trudeau just messed with a woman fed-up.
And there ain’t nothing you can do about that.

So long Drama boy…….

#36 dakkie on 03.24.19 at 8:00 pm

Examining A Sad Truth

#37 pay your taxes on 03.24.19 at 8:12 pm

Where’s the line for rent increases over those 5 years? This blog never seems to factor those in yet 4 % per year is a significant amount of money. 3k in rent becomes $3650 after 5 years whereas a mortgage payment remains constant and could drop in today’s rate environment.

Taxes and other expenses are like cheap underwear though, they start in one place and have a habit of creeping up. Perhaps it’s a wash after 5 years but an honest calculation requires all of the inputs.

#38 young & foolish on 03.24.19 at 8:13 pm

I sympathize with #5 KJ here …

“Remember you have given up the growth on $180,000 – which needs to be factored in. So add $900/month.”

Who can depend on 6% return in today’s markets, stocks or growth and bond etf’s ???

A balanced & diversified portfolio should do just fine over the next half decade. – Garth

#39 LP on 03.24.19 at 8:24 pm

#21 the Jaguar on 03.24.19 at 6:07 pm
…Anyone who appreciates dogs or cats and their place in our lives should understand their need to maintain their dignity. They are a gift in our lives. Not a subject of our amusement when we think it so…..
******************************************

How right you are! We used to have a neighbour in our small town who owned a most disreputable old border collie mix. He made scruffy dogs look like they’d just come from a groomer. Skippy (dog’s name) used to roam through town on the hunt for bitches in heat and left his progeny in neighbourhoods far and wide.

Every year the people who owned the dog took him to be bathed and shorn. Poor Skip wouldn’t leave his property, hiding out of sight in the backyard. After about 6 weeks when his coat was longer, back out on the prowl went old Skippy. He just couldn’t stand to be out and about looking below par in his own estimation.

#40 WUL on 03.24.19 at 8:25 pm

I’m at a complete loss to understand the thinking of people in the 905. Franco and Howard are out of their gourds. Garth, they are beyond help. Quit spending your valuable time trying to help these people.

The reason for “best kept secrets” is that people in the know do not reveal the secrets. But, I’ll break the code
at the risk of ruining a best kept secret (Calgary). Why not this place in SW Kelvin Grove, 2300 square feet, oodles of bathrooms, a 20 minute pokey commute on Elbow Drive and 4th Street to a parkade downtown and 1 and 1/4 hour drive to the mountains? $798K and dropping.

Yet Raunchyville and Oakville (a 10 minute drive to a train station [woohoo!]) are attractive to you?

Plus, on April 17 we’ll have a loudmouth, right wing, slimy boor for a premier. Right up your alley.

Franco and Howard, you’re hooped.

#41 Nonplused on 03.24.19 at 8:26 pm

A high school English teacher making $50k a year? That’s pretty close to the starting wage for teachers and nowhere near what a 10 year makes. Unless maybe he’s at a private school.

But he’s obviously an English teacher if he thinks he can support a $1 million dollar purchase on $50k a year. I’m not sure what the owner has planned but I think I’d make sure and get a lawyer to read the proposed sales agreement. I sense a good screwing coming up.

This story can’t be true because at $1 million and 5% he’d be spending $50,000 a year, his whole salary before taxes, just on interest. He’d have to pay his taxes and living expenses out of rent from the basement, which is of course also taxable.

I therefore conclude that you got trolled, Garth. I don’t think even an English teacher could be so financially illiterate, or they shouldn’t be teaching children. I also don’t think any owner would seriously propose such a sale so clearly doomed to failure. If this story is true, one or the other of them is planning to pull off a scam.

Never, ever, “rent to own” or take vendor financing. Or get a pay-day loan. Or lend money to friends or relatives. You’ll be saying goodbye to hard earned cash. And in the case of friends or relatives, losing them.

#42 Rargary on 03.24.19 at 8:29 pm

#12… Killary is beyond human emotion. Won’t happen. #19… there are worse things than Trump esp that CNN would never admit it.
Garthy? Good article today. Us fellows do forget we do put ourselves where we belong.

#43 Spring Market on 03.24.19 at 9:12 pm

Here we go:

#44 George on 03.24.19 at 9:13 pm

So let me get this straight –

Did you make that up?

#45 ImGonnaBeSick on 03.24.19 at 9:14 pm

I don’t know, as long as these people aren’t being askholes (people that ask for help and then promptly ignore it)… Seems like Garth could help them with “second best day to plant a tree” stuff…

#46 William R Drury on 03.24.19 at 9:18 pm

I noticed no Trump derangement comments

#47 Moresby Batter on 03.24.19 at 9:26 pm

Interesting. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/vancouver/article-previous-housing-data-understated-amount-of-non-resident-buyers-in/

#48 Bobby Bittman on 03.24.19 at 10:17 pm

#39 LP

Too funny! Well done.

#49 Tccontrarian on 03.24.19 at 10:33 pm

After reading tonight’s blog, I think I should put something together specifically for teachers. We’ll call it:
Financial Literacy for Canadian Teachers (so that we can save our youth). I’m sure there are Grants available, no?

TCC

#50 Yuus bin Haad on 03.24.19 at 11:27 pm

So, somebody hires these people and pays them a salary?

#51 The Totally Unbiased, Highly Intelligent, Rational Observer on 03.24.19 at 11:58 pm

“Mueller, blah, blah.”–GT

Yes, Garth, I totally agree with you. Mueller was just a bunch of mean and nasty noise.

Of course it was utterly impossible to find any fault whatsoever with someone as pure and sweet and innocent and not at fault as the Great American President Donald J. Trump.

#52 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.25.19 at 12:36 am

@#44 George I plead the V-th
“Someone making $50,000 /yr and has $50,000 saved is asking you if buying a $1,000,000 house is a good move ?’

+++++

He’s an English Teacher… not a Math Teacher.
Nuff sed.

#53 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.25.19 at 12:43 am

And just when things couldnt get more bizarre in the South China Sea ……

Nothing like a US “Coast Guard” ship to wave the Flag in Asia

#54 the ryguy - In cabo on 03.25.19 at 12:46 am

Mueller, blah, blah
———————–
Mmm, no, that can’t be it.

Long story short, HRC paid a former foreign intelligence agent (Christopher Steele) to create a false dossier. Sorry..actually HRC and the Democratic party paid Perkin Coie to pay for the fake dossier, that way they are protected by attorney client privilege. (A cynic would point out this same privilege was not granted to Mr.Cohen, but I digress) Then the fake dossier was presented as vetted evidence, with the help of ol Rino Mcain, to the FBI. This “evidence” in turn was used to justify surveillance of Trump and his campaign. There is much more to it, but thats the abbreviated coles notes.

Lets not forget HRC cackling about “14 different intelligence agencies have verified the information” before the election. This was a planned coup that was hatched at the highest levels of government, against a citizen of the country they are supposed to protect. Abuse of power barely even begins to scratch the surface of what was attempted.

You lefties have been lied to for the better part of 3 years. If you have ANY sense you will do a full mea-culpa and disown your party and anyone foolish enough to remain associated with it.

Rant over, I’ll show myself out.

#55 Nonplused on 03.25.19 at 1:09 am

Here is the thing folks. We have very many problems in the world today, but in Canada we have first world problems. People are worried about whether or not they can afford to buy a house in Toronto or Vancouver. Half the world is living in shacks they built out of sticks, mud and cardboard! Ya, the money isn’t working, but let’s face it if you can ignore your debt you live a life that is so much better than 99.99% of any human ever has. We’ve got it pretty good. We’re pretty rich. It just isn’t distributed so well (but I don’t know what to do about it, it may be necessary that it is the way it is at least for now).

Pocahontas is campaign on or retributions. Retributions to whom? Slaves, apparently. I don’t know if I got my facts straight but hasn’t it been 200 years since there were slaves? How could you even tell at this point who deserves retributions and who doesn’t? Does 1/2020 qualify? Many white people should get some retribution then, because they have some African ancestry. And what about the natives? They went through hell too and that is a historical fact. At some point in time “an eye for an eye” doesn’t work anymore and we have to move on.

I’ve met and worked with many black Americans who probably have ancestors that were slaves. But I don’t think they’d want to trade their suits and ties and Kia’s and BMW’s and iPhones and such in for a one way ticket to Africa. Slavery is over and has been over for a long while. It could be argued that the descendants of the slaves were the lucky ones, despite the horrors and brutality their parents suffered before we came to our senses about the issue. When I see Neil Degrasse Tyson or Thomas Sowell on TV, I don’t think “oppressed slave survivor”, I think “intellectual hero”. I only wish I could be so smart or contribute as much to society. Those are only 2 successful black people, we can go through the long list from Opra to Michael Jordan. I don’t know if Michael Jordan would need reparations or if he would even notice them.

Scott Adams has predicted that anybody who campaigns for 2020 on reparations has already admitted that they have no platform and will lose. I wish Pocahontas would just go away. She must at some level sense that she has no chance whatsoever.

#56 Smoking Man on 03.25.19 at 1:59 am

Globalist are done.

Shlong Zumangas little peons . T2, Macron, May, and Ang Markel.. finished.

Me and Shlong are going to have words in the near future.

Just hope Trump goes all in with alien disclosure. If there ever was a president’ who had the nuts to tell the world about zero point energy, mother ships, and how Smokey beats Vegas every time at the crap table.

It would be a good day.

#57 Gordon on 03.25.19 at 5:57 am

#58 BillyBob on 03.25.19 at 7:25 am

#53 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.25.19 at 12:43 am
And just when things couldnt get more bizarre in the South China Sea ……

Nothing like a US “Coast Guard” ship to wave the Flag in Asia

===================================

The US Coast Guard is a full branch of the US Armed Forces. Not like Canada’s which falls under Fisheries and Oceans.

The cutter that passed through the strait is very close to the same class as a Canadian Navy frigate. It’s primary task ain’t replacing navigation buoys. Hardly bizarre that they would go out on a blue-water exercise with a Navy ship.

#59 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.25.19 at 7:51 am

@#54 Cabo wabo

“You don’t have to like Trump, but after this $50M debacle you can’t deny who the bad guys really are.”

*****

All the lawyers that have gone to jail for Trump?
Trump’s publicly mused that his last act in office may be a ….Presidential Pardon ….for himself.

Clinton, Trump pfffft.
Doesnt matter.
Who ever puts up the most billions in lobbyist election money wins.

#60 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.25.19 at 8:06 am

@#58 BillyBob
“Hardly bizarre that they would go out on a blue-water exercise with a Navy ship.”

*****
I’m thinking the “Coast Guard” Ship was used so China’s Leaders can “save face” and explain to their easily riled jingoistic sheeple that it’s not the US navy invading “our Sea”.
Bad optics if a Chinese frigate rams a Coast Guard ship.
The US upping the ante…….?

Still , seeing a Coast guard ship built to patrol its own coast 5000 miles further west is a tad bizarre…unless, of course, their compass was broken and they just missed Hawaii and kept going……

#61 jess on 03.25.19 at 8:11 am

a federalist interpetation?

Barr’s memo from one year ago

according to

The Many Problems With the Barr Lette

By Neal K. Katyal

Mr. Katyal is a law professor at Georgetown. He drafted the special counsel regulations under which Robert Mueller was appointed….’That memo made the argument that the obstruction of justice statute does not apply to the president because the text of the statute doesn’t specifically mention the president. Of course, the murder statute doesn’t mention the president either, but no one thinks the president can’t commit murder. Indeed, the Office of Legal Counsel had previously concluded that such an argument to interpret another criminal statute, the bribery law, was wrong.”

#62 50k?? on 03.25.19 at 8:27 am

“I am a high school English teacher making 50k a year…at age 37.”

You should be making $100K by now. Do you have your A4? If not, go back to school to get it. It will be your best investment ever.

#63 not 1st on 03.25.19 at 8:27 am

Time to shine a little more light on the central banks. So you thought they injected stimulus in the form of buying bonds, but they have added a new asset class. CBs are buying up US equities now.

Its very worrisome that any central bank is a large owner in the equites market. This seems to be a form of wealth transfer, higher rates on us, bonds mortgages which the peons own, transferred into equities which mostly the rich elite own. Scary. And I am no socialist.

#64 Remembrancer on 03.25.19 at 8:34 am

#58 BillyBob on 03.25.19 at 7:25 am
#53 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.25.19 at 12:43 am
And just when things couldnt get more bizarre in the South China Sea ……
——————————
Yep, probably as much a test of the integrated US Navy and Coast Guard com & control systems and Bertholf’s mine / submarine detection – while they call it a cutter, she’s a patrol frigate painted white with a red and blue stripe for all intents and purposes…

#65 James Finney on 03.25.19 at 8:36 am

Classic garth bias. So our assumption should be that the stock market is guaranteed to return money over a 5 year period, but act like significant housing market appreciation is far-fetched?

If you are in the spirit of making a fair comparison…why don’t you look at the historical annual appreciation of oakville real estate? Heres a hint: It’s more than 3%/y.

People who cannot afford to buy houses should not do it. There is no justification. The man has a family to support, and owning a house is not relevant to that task. – Garth

#66 Remembrancer on 03.25.19 at 8:36 am

#56 Smoking Man on 03.25.19 at 1:59 am

That’s the one thing I’d want to know about Trump from an insider, how long was he in office before he asked to see the aliens?

#67 AK on 03.25.19 at 8:44 am

#59 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.25.19 at 7:51 am

“All the lawyers that have gone to jail for Trump?
Clinton, Trump pfffft.
Doesnt matter.
Who ever puts up the most billions in lobbyist election money wins.
Whether its the Russians, Saudis, Exxon or SNC-Lavalin…. it doesnt matter…. the sheeple lose.”
===================================

You are displaying quite a few symptoms of TDS. :-)

Turn off CNN and MSNBC.

#68 Remembrancer on 03.25.19 at 8:54 am

#25 jess on 03.24.19 at 6:27 pm

Jess, its 2019 and an immunity has developed to rational critical thought which is ironic given it also breeds things like being against developing real immunities to real threats, like, um measles, coupled with lack of media awareness.

You are just presenting to these people more evidence of an even wider / deeper conspiracy on top of the conspiracy; a self-reinforcing perpetual motion machine of flimsy connections being reinforced by even more tenuous threads. A charitable explanation is that this is an ill-conceived but honest quest for meaning, or they’re cat people inflected with something from the litter box… Look it up, its a real thing, maybe…

#69 dharma bum on 03.25.19 at 8:59 am

#52 crowdedelevatorfartz

He’s an English Teacher… not a Math Teacher.
Nuff sed.
——————————————————————–

…and our country is being run by a DRAMA teacher.

I rest my case.

Those who denigrate a person who has been an MP for over a decade, who won a national leadership contest and a majority government look petty and trite. So stop it. – Garth

#70 Tater on 03.25.19 at 9:01 am

” Grateful for any counsel, and would appreciate if you didn’t post this situation on your blog! (My friend might be reading!)”

Garth why would you post this? The guy asked that you not.

Details changed. – Garth

#71 the ryguy - In cabo on 03.25.19 at 9:09 am

All the lawyers that have gone to jail for Trump?
——————————————————–

The cognitive dissonance is so strong related to President Trump, wow, it’s like oxygen for you people.

1 lawyer went to Jail, Michael Cohen. He was charged with crimes that preceded Trumps campaign & completely unrelated to Trump. Come on folks, all this information is out there.

Or bury your heads in the sand and keep chanting orange man bad.

#72 Tony on 03.25.19 at 9:22 am

Re: #32 AK on 03.24.19 at 7:00 pm

#73 n1tro on 03.25.19 at 9:56 am

#29 Tony on 03.24.19 at 6:42 pm
Re: #24 BlogDog123 on 03.24.19 at 6:24 pm

————————————–
O.J didn’t get off because he had money. He got off because

1. Mark Furhman turned to be a racist
2. The glove didn’t fit because it had shrunk
3. The jury were a bunch of morons

I bet you had the highest regard for Mueller as of last week but now that the report came out saying it’s a big fat nothing burger, he surely must be corrupt and paid off?

Talk about delusional.

#74 AK on 03.25.19 at 10:06 am

#72 Tony on 03.25.19 at 9:22 am
Re: #32 AK on 03.24.19 at 7:00 pm
“Watch the stock market magically collapse in September, October and November of 2020 all but assuring Trump is soundly defeated in the 2020 election. Trump already knows what’s coming but is powerless to do anything.”
====================================

Who is going to defeat him ? Bernie Sanders? or some guy named Beto ?

#75 Gordon on 03.25.19 at 10:10 am

#76 Re-Cowtown on 03.25.19 at 10:56 am

…and our country is being run by a DRAMA teacher.

I rest my case.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let’s be serious GT; if T2’s last name was Houle he’d still be a drama teacher in Chibougamou.

He merely inherited an infrastructure, both political and personal. On his own hook he’s shown remarkably poor judgement in everything from dressing himself to bragging about using tax dollars to buy a pipeline that he has no intention of building to thinking that political interference in criminal matters is perfectly permissible.

He’s not even a shadow of his father. I despised his father’s policies and felt that they damaged Western Canada, but I respected him as a formidable intellect.

Trudeau the Elder was a federalist; he believed in a strong federal government and he believed in a just society, but it was a society that’s justice was constrained to it’s own time. Past injustices were history and he understood that an apology, no matter how well intended, will always by found insufficient.

T2 is the polar opposite; his is the politics of identity and division. To him, there is no such concept as a complete Canada and he strains to please only certain groups that he thinks are worthy. The rest he discards without thought or concern. This leads him to create fresh injustices on a daily basis while he pays lip service apologies over historical injustices in the name of political correctness.

T2 is nothing to brag about intellectually and we’re seeing that now. At best he was a clean shirt in a bin of soiled laundry. After Harper the Liberals could have run a gerbil named Trudeau and it would have won.

You sound like a bitter and small person. Too bad. The ‘dirty shirt’ and ‘gerbil’ comments render everything you have to say meaningless. Attack a man’s actions and policies, not the man. – Garth

#77 n1tro on 03.25.19 at 11:13 am

#46 William R Drury on 03.24.19 at 9:18 pm
I noticed no Trump derangement comments
——————
There are some. But I think the vast majority are in a state like scene in Pitch Black where the light sensitive monsters are waiting at the perimeter as the guy is holding the lamp (eg. Democrats) hoping and praying that something will save him (eg. Russian connection) but at the end as the last bit of fuel is spent (2 years & $50M), the screen fades to black….

Market doesn’t seem to care.

#78 amused on 03.25.19 at 11:19 am

#69 dharma bum on 03.25.19 at 8:59 am
#52 crowdedelevatorfartz
#76 Re-Cowtown on 03.25.19 at 10:56 am

He’s an English Teacher… not a Math Teacher.
Nuff sed.
——————————————————————–

…and our country is being run by a DRAMA teacher.

I rest my case.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

___________________________________

Being older gents you’d think these guys would have a little more decorum

#79 Yukon Elvis on 03.25.19 at 11:38 am

#80 Alistair McLaughlin on 03.25.19 at 11:51 am

The high school English teacher must be a supply teacher. He should be making twice that money if he’s been teaching full time for any length of time in Ontario. Unless he was quoting his take-home pay, which still sounds understated.

#81 not 1st on 03.25.19 at 11:53 am

Garth maybe spend a week in the west and then see what lovely words you can come up with to describe our PM. You are inside the bubble.

If Trudeau put a policy in tomorrow which destroyed the TSX, you and your colleagues would be crying bloody murder.

A mans actions are derivative of his character.

Be civil or be gone. – Garth

#82 Gordon on 03.25.19 at 12:07 pm

Trump is absolutely right to fight China’s theft of IP. Chinese companies knock off whole cars. This is something the Trump Hate media don’t want you to know for fearing of disrupting the Hate Trump narrative .

#83 kommykim on 03.25.19 at 12:26 pm

I think those of us on the “radical left”, like me, finally have to admit there was no collusion between Trump and Russia. We have to come to terms with the fact that, yes, there really are enough stupid people in America to elect Trump as president.

#84 Ontario Teacher on 03.25.19 at 1:02 pm

My cousin living in KW was two credits short of just an undergraduate degree, but was hired fulltime for public High School. In 1997 she earned $54,000 teaching computer science, and might have something to do with the school board decisions, rules, and application. I never could figure this out.

#85 jess on 03.25.19 at 1:03 pm

Law firms probed on anti money laundering compliance (22 Mar 2019)
HMRC targets professional services tax evasion (20 Mar 2019)

HMRC: Current list of deliberate tax defaulters (22 Mar 2019)

Advisers risk ‘sleepwalking’ into criminal prosecution (20 Mar 2019)
criminal finance act of 2017

Offshore tax evasion clampdown produces 5.67m financial records (20 Mar 2019)
ING Italy investigated over alleged money laundering (20 Mar 2019)

=========================
“According to a recent report by Coldiretti, the national farmers’ association, six out of 10 Italian food products sold on the international market suffer from some counterfeiting activity.”

fake balsamic vinegar

#86 the ryguy - In cabo on 03.25.19 at 1:14 pm

#83 kommykim on 03.25.19 at 12:26 pm
————————————————————–
Interesting way to frame it. Have you come to terms with;
– your party lying to you for 3 years?
– your party abusing power?
– your parties complete disregard for the rule of law/constitution/election results?

Oh and when your party was in power they sold 20% of US uranium to Russia..and the proceeds went to a private charity run by the Clintons rather than the US Treasury? Yet Trump is the one in bed with Russia?

I’ll stop for today, I don’t want a wrist slap from Garth, but you lefties need to wake up.

#87 Joe Bloggs on 03.25.19 at 1:17 pm

“Be civil or be gone. – Garth”

– LOL!!! And the definition of civil is: whatever GT likes, otherwise it’s not!!!

This is HIS blog. The guy fits perfectly in GULAG as a warden. And this is a canadian icon… Sad…

Yuppers, my blog. The door is over there. Use it. – Garth

#88 Another Tale on 03.25.19 at 1:47 pm

The Ontario Government during the late 1990’s was short of teachers in the area of electricians. They established a special program eliminating an apprentice’s qualification. My cousin’s husband was a builder of custom homes or a contractor. He wrote the examination for an electrician, and was certified to become a teacher at any high school for a future opportunity to explore. His practical knowledge was lame.

#89 Rexx Rock on 03.25.19 at 2:08 pm

T2 may not be the best leader but he seems to be a good and caring leader.I think he wants to please everyone just like all politicians.I bet alot of bashers are jealous because of his good looks and success.Hey,I’d be jealous to if I was a short old MP.

#90 Re-Cowtown on 03.25.19 at 2:09 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kind of like you just did with me? Attacking and insulting me?

You’re in cognitive dissonance Garth. You can’t disagree with the substance of what I said so you picked out the most insignificant parts of my comment and then stooped to insulting me.

You’d be better off explaining how Trudeau making decisions that result in disaster for Alberta and then screwing up Chinese relations to the point that they cancel canola contracts makes T2 a competent politician.

From where I sit all I see is prairie provinces taking body shot after body shot because of his poor judgement. Next up will be beef exports to China.

I stand by my opinion; T2 is an incompetent ideologue who would never have been elected but for the name of his famous father.

How can I attack someone hiding in anonymity? Get over yourself. – Garth

#91 Smoking Man on 03.25.19 at 2:13 pm

Fantastic day for the Deplorables.

Apart from the enjoyment of watching MSM explode and eat itself to death the Great Porn Laywer just got busted trying to extort 25 million from Nike.

T2 being investigated for real obstruction of justice.

Going to start drinking early today.

#92 jess on 03.25.19 at 2:15 pm

Government by the worst people :kakistocracy

==================

“A country’s natural resources revenues should be used in the best interest of its citizens, and if the giants of world trade are bringing shady intermediaries into their lucrative crude oil deals, something is going badly wrong.”

===========================
The world’s top two commodity traders Vitol and Glencore used middlemen notorious for their role in Brazil’s mammoth ‘Car Wash’ bribery scandal, our investigation with Switzerland’s Public Eye reveals.

“The biggest independent oil and metals trading houses, including Vitol Group, Trafigura Group Ltd., Glencore Plc., Mercuria Energy Group Ltd. and Gunvor Group Ltd., are facing bribery and corruption investigations in jurisdictions ranging from Brazil to Switzerland and, most importantly, the U.S.”(bloomberg)

#93 Re-Cowtown on 03.25.19 at 2:24 pm

BTW Garth,

You also insulted me after you said I called T2 “a dirty shirt”. If you re read my post you’ll find I said no such thing.

#94 ImGonnaBeSick on 03.25.19 at 2:50 pm

Sounds like some people need to get off their computers/phones and go outside for a bit… Go take the dog for a walk guys… I don’t speak for Mr. T, but I can glean that he doesn’t care if you don’t like Trudeau, but he does care when you can’t be civil on the comments… God knows Trudeau has been the most expensive PM for me personally, without a lot of return, but I’m not going to pick a fight with Garth about it… Give your collective heads a shake.

#95 entropy on 03.25.19 at 2:51 pm

what 37 yr old male English teacher makes 50k though?

Avg teacher salaries hovers more around 85k. And at 37 he would likely be maxed out already.

#96 whiplash on 03.25.19 at 2:52 pm

#82 Gordon

Trump is absolutely right to fight China’s theft of IP.

Past US administrations have been accommodating to the Chinese to the point where it is totally imbalanced. China Telecom now has 10 strategically placed internet points of presence location across North America, eight in the US and two in Canada. In this country back in Feb. 2016 for over six months all internet traffic between Canada and the Korean government was rerouted through China first before reaching Korea. How handy is that for scrubbing data. Trump is trying to level the playing field and takes national security and the protection of American companies a bit more serious than others.

#97 Long-Time Lurker on 03.25.19 at 3:13 pm

>AG Barr’s report on the Mueller investigation.

#98 Tater on 03.25.19 at 3:40 pm

#86 the ryguy – In cabo on 03.25.19 at 1:14 pm
#83 kommykim on 03.25.19 at 12:26 pm
————————————————————–

————————————————————–
Your seem obsessed with this uranium story and yet, don’t have the slightest understanding of it. Here’s some reading for you: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/oct/24/what-you-need-know-about-hillary-clinton-and-urani/

#99 Russ on 03.25.19 at 3:47 pm

entropy on 03.25.19 at 2:51 pm
what 37 yr old male English teacher makes 50k though?

===========================

He’s helping out the “equal pay campaign”.

Someone has to do it, an average thing.

Cheers, R

#100 Gotta Get Out of Calgary on 03.26.19 at 1:01 am

#95 entropy on 03.25.19 at 2:51 pm
what 37 yr old male English teacher makes 50k though?

*************************************

Depends on when he started and how long he has been teaching. It appears a lot of assumptions are being made in the blog that he starting teaching in his early 20’s.

Teaching may be a second (or third) career and, if recently started, he will be near the bottom of the pay grid. There are folks who get their University credentials in their 30’s and 40’s. Even met a 72 year-old studying hard to pass the exam for the course required to become a licensed mutual funds rep. He was bored in retirement and wanted to do something that would bring in a little extra money.

The teacher’s lack of savings may be due to poor financial habits, lack of knowledge, or circumstances that caused financial loss.