Cherish

Over the weekend a young man from Surrey opened eyes and touched hearts. There are not many moments on a raucous blog devoted to money, finances and mammon when such a thing happens. After all, we’re obsessed here with acquiring stuff. We measure success in real estate assessments or the numbers of zeroes in a portfolio balance.

Sure, we drift into canine worship and lament the unfairly short lives of our dogs. That’s sad. But not tragic. Tragedy is potential unfulfilled, and the young visitor spoke to that. He also reminded me that the important thing which defines a man is not the misfortune that may befall him, but how he handles it.

As I plowed my way through the usual snippy, combative, self-absorbed comments, it was gratifying to read the following words: “Garth, thanks for all your advice over the years. My wife and I have dumped as much as we can into our investments and avoided the insane Vancouver RE market, and your blog has helped reinforce that it is a good choice for us despite the cult-like mentality here.”

The message here has always been simple. If you need a home and can afford one, go ahead and buy. If it means taking big risk, using extreme leverage or hollowing out your finances, there’s no shame in renting, staying liquid and having options. The point of life is not real estate. It is, as repeated here often, to enjoy your time. Money comes and goes. The days just pass.

Then he wrote this:

“I’m a young guy (35) dying of cancer and our investments are going to ensure the love of my life is taken care of comfortably, and can take her time getting back to a normal life after I go. Being stuck with a house would be a huge extra headache for her as she’ll want to downsize and possibly move away from here. I just wanted to let you know you’ve had a positive impact even in the worst of circumstances.”

Many responded to that over the next few hours, offering words of support and encouragement. They were raw and emotional. What do you say to a dying person, especially one who’s lived less than half a life? Place yourself in the same situation and find the message that gives comfort and meaning – when hope is not an option.

There are days I hate this blog, for the ugly underbelly of society which soaks into the comments section. We seem to live in a time stripped of empathy and filled with prejudice, when tribalism and jealousy of others spread fast, infecting everything. But not that day. Not here.

The young man read those comments, and returned.

“Wow, I didn’t expect so much attention! Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support,” he wrote.

“Oddly, sometimes the words of strangers get to me more than that of friends and family, possibly because it just shows how we all share so much in common and fight mostly the same battles.

No matter what you do in life, cherish your time and loved ones. You really don’t know how long it will last. I’m happy that we didn’t put our life on hold while we planned for the future, and we have many happy memories. I wouldn’t trade my life for anyone else’s. Best wishes to all of you. I hope you have a great year.”

It will be a year he won’t finish. He leaves us with wisdom and a calm grace. The greatest gift, he reminds, is one we cannot replicate, borrow, steal, beg or earn. Time runs out for everyone, try as we might to push it off or to pretend the mindless accumulation of wealth or assets is any substitute.

I would not trade my life, said the dying man, for anyone else’s.

He is the wealthy one.

#1 For those about to flop... on 01.13.19 at 4:59 pm

CONFIRMED PINK SNOW

This was one of my earliest cases that I accumulated after I started to look around the city to see if the problem with the market was more widespread than the edges beginning to fray in my neighborhood.

So it took them two years to exit the market, they fought the good fight to minimize the loss and I should have already reported it but it was labeled as just “removed” by the fine folks at Zolo.

I don’t get it, I really don’t.

B.c assessment acting shady.

Zolo acting shady.

Zealty ,unfortunately acting shady, but are they only being fed a certain percentage of the information to keep the illusion of a soft landing going?

Last week I had roughly ten sales in my Pink Snow folder.

I could only find sales information on two.

Why?

Either Zolo,Zealty and the rest of them are allowed to report all the sales or why bother at all.

The real estate board can cherry pick which data points to highlight at the end of each month, but to hide certain sales is disingenuous in water cooler talk, or an absolute load of horseshit in back alley talk.

I get absolutely no satisfaction out of showing that these guys lost money and am actually glad that they minimized the loss, because they could probably afford it the least as at the time of purchase it would have been one of the cheapest options going with the final detached blowoff winding down,taking a 100k hit when it could have been much worse.

I do get satisfaction out of shining a light on some of the misinformation being bandied about.

One difference between Zolo and Zealty , is that Zealty doesn’t show certain sales like they just aren’t getting the information but Zolo tries to pretend that they took it off the market like all the times below and continued to pay the mortgage because everything is o.k.

I won’t even bother to talk about the absolute rubbish that Royal Lepage was spouting about the market.

If you try to show some injustices of people profiting off of rolling over the citizens of this country for no good reason other than pure greed, you get accused of doing this for your own benefit.

Canada’s moral compass is not lacking direction, it has been totally smashed to smithereens on this subject.

I see no reason why both Greaterfool and Pink Snow should not continue to report on this stuff while the realtors and real estate boards are self monitoring and self disciplined.

Garth and I have different ways of going about things but we both belong to Team Truth, no matter how ugly the outcome people deserve to know.

One of the blogs is more polished than the other,a mirror of the guys that write them.

One of us operates out of Scotia Plaza, and so I guess I’ll list my operating address as Scumbag Alley…

3406 Mons Drive, Vancouver

2017-01-25 : $1,499,000
2016-10-15 : $1,628,000
2016-11-08 : $1,599,800
2017-10-30 : $1,300,000
2018-04-19 : $1,498,000

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Feel free to make a small donation for cancer research.

Flop For Fox Fund…

#2 I'm stupid on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm

Flop take break… we should all not post a comment today. Similar to a moment of silence to respect that young man!

#3 paracho on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm

The words of this young many touched me deeply as I lost 4 individuals I respected in a one month span inNovember and an uncle last May .
This young man is brave and modest . He is an example to us all.
I will keep him in my prayers .

#4 Stan Brooks on 01.13.19 at 5:17 pm

More people are going broke in Canada as interest rates rise

Stealing your pension money, I warned about this:

Money in the bank: Ottawa looks for new ways to tax dormant accounts

===============================

As for the young man from Surrey:

As it seems you/and the doctors/ have already given up:
Some consider cancer a metabolic disease, try raw organic carrot juice only diet for a year. Carrots on sale from Costco and Whole foods in 20 pounds bags. The best use of 3-4 grand you will ever have. You won’t get worse.

After that buy some piece of land as far as you can from the big cities and the big grocery stores, eat organic only and no preservatives/pesticides whatsoever. Leave that to the ‘successful’ folks from the big cities.

You did well for the love of your life, now do well for you, you deserve it.

An advice from somebody who actually knows what he is talking about.

#5 Waldguy on 01.13.19 at 5:18 pm

It’s a point well taken.

Money is meant to enable LIFE, life is not made for money.

Live well, provide well, as long as you shall live.

#6 unbalanced on 01.13.19 at 5:18 pm

He indeed did touch many hearts. When you reads stories like this, you get a whole new way of living. Cant see the screen, gotta go

#7 Dave on 01.13.19 at 5:27 pm

Seems these days happiness eludes most. The focus os on material things and showing off to others.

Love and Laughter are priceless, be happy with what you have. You never know when your story will end

#8 dakkie on 01.13.19 at 5:31 pm

Bankruptcies SURGE as Debt Soars To RECORD HIGH! Bank of Canada Warns.

#9 Not So New guy on 01.13.19 at 5:32 pm

This puts everything into perspective.

It’s not about money

A great comment I heard recently was this:

I knew a guy who was so poor all he had was money

Something to think about…

#10 KLNR on 01.13.19 at 5:36 pm

well put Garth.
Doesn’t matter how many $$$ you have, we all end up in the same place. Health + time are the real wealth.

#11 Samuel on 01.13.19 at 5:37 pm

It is only the LOVE of money that is evil. What that young man did would not have been possible without his selfless financial planning. I wish them all the best. And #2…I could not agree more. A time and place.

#12 Leo Trollstoy on 01.13.19 at 5:49 pm

I’m not crying, YOURE crying!

#13 For those about to flop... on 01.13.19 at 5:50 pm

#2 I’m stupid on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm

+++++++++++++++++

Samual 37 pm

Talk about not paying attention!

What on earth are you to two guys talking about?

I have written thousands of posts and try to raise funds by posting a link to The Terry Fox Foundation roughly every tenth post.

My father is dying of cancer in Australia and my wife’s best friend recently got diagnosed and has just started treatment.

I can’t believe my bloody eyes.

Guys would rather hate on this blog instead of help…

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Feel free to make a small donation for cancer research.

Flop For Fox Fund…

#14 Dumba$$ comment of the day on 01.13.19 at 5:58 pm

Dumba$$ comment of the day goes to Stan Brooks. Why does he think he knows better than experts in the medical field? Just better to ignore all his comments…

#4 Stan Brooks on 01.13.19 at 5:17 pm

===============================

As for the young man from Surrey:

As it seems you/and the doctors/ have already given up:

#15 I’m stupid on 01.13.19 at 6:02 pm

I’m not questioning you’re intentions flop, you obviously spend a great deal of time preparing your posts. I was just simply saying that this particular post isn’t the time to post about a market update.

My heart goes out to your father and your wife’s best friend. I think that there isn’t a person on this planet that hasn’t witnessed a loved one get taken from C. I never say the word or spell it because nothing scares me more.

#16 What is the point of saving money... on 01.13.19 at 6:02 pm

What is retirement when the probability of dying is high as you get older?

If you can afford that dream home. Buy it. Life the good life. Spend it all. Can’t take it to your grave. Who cares if you have a million dollars in your 70’s. Might not even be able to walk by then.

Vancouver isn’t affordable. Forget about it. Most of BC is finished – not affordable.

The problem with many is that they are all prophets who know what the future holds instead of planning for today and figuring out what you can do right now. Proper planning can take out future risk. Don’t overspend. And unfortunately not overspending means you have to leave all of BC now. Inherited money, launderers and drug dealers and people who have owned land prior to 2010 in BC can afford to stay. Everyone else can go enjoy Alberta or some other province. You are being forced to if you listen to the math.

There are a lot of places where you can live the dream and still afford to do so right now.

Worrying about Vancouver prices and trying to afford them will shorten your life. So, move on. Most people have been wrong about it over the past decade.

But if you listen to Sam Cooper, you will know that the same BS that has been going on in Vancouver and destroying middle class is still continuing today. Otherwise people would not be listing old Richmond homes for 2M as of right now. The real value of these homes is 200k. But the dirty money continues to pour into BC. The source of everything that happens in BCRE today. The only people pulling back are the ones that have to play by the rules and don’t have the ability to capture some of the drug trade money flowing through real estate.

But hey, don’t believe me. Just keep waiting another 10, 20, 30 years for that miracle in price collapse to happen where you can buy a house in BC for under 700k.

#17 Julie K. on 01.13.19 at 6:04 pm

Amen.

#18 Blessed Canadian Millenial on 01.13.19 at 6:06 pm

My thoughts and prayer are with this gentlemen.

#19 baloney Sandwitch on 01.13.19 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for the great post today Garth and the example of the young man who has his priorities right.

#20 Rargary on 01.13.19 at 6:14 pm

Trying not to cry. Couldn’t stop the goosebumps though. What a sombre yet uplifting reminder all we save for and invest might never be realized in our lifetime. We need these reminders from the courageous ones to also set aside something to enjoy each day as it could be our last. Great post Garth. Prayers to the brave Surrey man who showed us all what we neededto hear.

#21 reynolds531 on 01.13.19 at 6:17 pm

I hope that kid puts up a hell of a fight.

#22 Myra on 01.13.19 at 6:26 pm

# 2 I’m stupid on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm

Flop you sound very defensive. I agree with the poster. I too was perplexed by your post. There was not one single mention of this dying man in your very long post. I read your post twice just to make sure I didn’t miss it.

Instead of defending yourself just eat some humble pie. You messed up by completely ignoring this man’s message. I was surprised because you normally come across as a very caring and compassionate man.

#23 KLNR on 01.13.19 at 6:28 pm

#14 Dumba$$ comment of the day on 01.13.19 at 5:58 pm

#4 Stan Brooks on 01.13.19 at 5:17 pm

===============================

As for the young man from Surrey:

As it seems you/and the doctors/ have already given up:
___________________________

Dumba$$ comment of ‘EVERY’ day goes to Stan Brooks.

#24 crowdedelevatorfartz on 01.13.19 at 6:31 pm

A tough story to read and to comment on.
I read his comment the other day and was a bit taken aback that someone would share that sort of personal info. Life and death. Puts things in priority real fast.
I’m glad he is mentally prepared and he has the courage to carry on.
Having his estate in order is amazing.
It takes a huge amount of stress off an already stressful situation for everyone involved.
Hopefully he gets to clear some items off the “Bucket List” with a big smile on his face before the journey takes a new turn….all the best.

#25 Ace Goodheart on 01.13.19 at 6:41 pm

He’s a prince.

In other weird and wacky news, a friend of mine had an odd story to tell about his new years eve.

He got home around 8pm from work and parked his car in front of his house. He then walked down the street to his favorite pub where he met some friends and started drinking.

Over the course of an hour and a half he did some shots and knocked back a few beers. He then noticed as two police officers entered the pub and walked over to him.

He was asked to give a breath sample on suspicion of impaired driving.

He explained to the cops that he had walked to the bar, his car was parked down the street in front of his house and he would be waking home. He had no intention of driving again that evening and had been sober when he parked the car.

The cops insisted he blow into the breathalyzer and he did so. He failed the test. He was then arrested, charged with impaired/ over 80 and taken away for booking and further testing.

What had gone wrong? Was this a practical joke? Were these police nuts?

Nope. This was perfectly legal. They changed the laws in Canada. Now, if you are caught drunk within 2 hrs of parking your car, you can be charged with drinking and driving offences, even if you were not driving and had no intention of driving.

He has hired a $10,000 criminal lawyer to fight this.

Happy New year!

#26 Woodstock Ontario on 01.13.19 at 6:46 pm

#83 Smoking Man on 01.12.19 at 12:49 am

#84 Smoking Man on 01.12.19 at 1:23 am
————

You are the best Garth!

#27 ALFRED E. NEUMAN on 01.13.19 at 6:46 pm

#2 I’m stupid on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm
______________________________!!

#28 J on 01.13.19 at 6:49 pm

I have learned so much from all the posts that you, Doug and Ryan have written. Informative, valuable…lots of great insight. But the best two posts you’ve ever done is when you wrote about your dad and this post today. My heart breaks for this young man, but his message is a reminder of what is truly important in life. My thanks to him for sharing it and I wish him comfort in his final journey.

#29 I just ... on 01.13.19 at 6:51 pm

hugged my wife.

#30 Fish on 01.13.19 at 7:10 pm

Money in the bank: Ottawa looks for new ways to tax dormant accounts

Some critics say Finance Canada’s proposed ‘unclaimed balances’ reforms are weak and should instead copy U.S.

Dean Beeby · CBC News · Posted: Jan 13, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

#31 Burnaby Boy on 01.13.19 at 7:20 pm

Our young man from Surrey has convinced himself he is going to die. As a cancer survivor (stage 4) I did radiation, chemo and the alternative stuff. I had to eat anyway so I ate all the anti cancer foods. The best source would be Keith Scott-Mumby MD, PhD’s book Cancer Research Secrets. I forget the price but you could google it. Its available from Scott-Mumby Wellness, PO Box 19452, Reno, NV 89511, USA. and discusses all the alternatives.

#32 crowdedelevatorfartz on 01.13.19 at 7:25 pm

@#25 Ace Goodheart
“He has hired a $10,000 criminal lawyer to fight this.”
++++
Bizarre .
What city, province did this happen in?
Does this guy have a “history” with the cops and they are using this new law to “get” him?
It seems strange they knew what bar he was in , who he was and that he had driven his car home in less than two hours unless they were checking his house on an hourly basis.

#33 M on 01.13.19 at 7:25 pm

I blinked back tears when I read the young man’s post. Thank you for posting. It sure made me think about what really is important. And I was so touched about him worrying about his wife and how she will manage. So incredibly sad. He is so young.

#34 TRUMP on 01.13.19 at 7:26 pm

Like I told you already Garth.

The more you turn this blog from RE cult driven to liquid asset Investment-based the more people you will assist.

STOP talking r.e. and start talking what to invest in, or at least give your audience more ideas and let them realize what options are out there.

I was having a discussion at work the other day with some co-workers. They were talking about how great their house investment was. I asked how much they paid in taxes, insurance, utilities, maintenance…..and interest on the mortgage.

Told them my stock portfolio pays me big dividends monthly and quarterly. I pay nothing back in exchange.

I have a couple less co-workers that talk to me now. But I don’t care cause I will soon be retired – we were all hired at the sametime. They got 26 years to go. I got 4.

#35 Scully on 01.13.19 at 7:29 pm

Some of the bickering here sounds like my family when in hospice this past November with my mom laying there, the life slowly draining out of her. I said it to them and I say it now: no bad feelings, just love and laughter. The great equalizer will take us all at some point. Enjoy every moment. Yeah, I know. I don’t follow my own advice at the best of times. But I still wish for love and laughter to all.

#36 Shawn Allen on 01.13.19 at 7:35 pm

Canada Has Some Exports we Don’t Think Of

Yesterday (at number 65) one of the commenters here said:

“I am in private education and our high school is entirely composed of international students. From 15 nations and growing.”

*************************************
Canadians often struggle to understand just what this country exports other than natural resources and (weirdly) autos.

Canada exports a lot of services. The above is an example. Educating foreign students in Canada counts as an export since it brings in revenue from outside. As long as it is done on a profitable basis whether at high school or university this is a worthy export. And it adds up to a lot.

Shopify gets most of its revenue from outside Canada but I believe most of its employees and costs are in Canada. So that is an excellent export business.

Many Canadian service companies get huge revenues from outside of Canada and since a portion of the costs or at least the profits occur in Canada that is an export.

Tourism is also effectively an export bringing in outside money.

The Canadian economy is complex and despite lots of naysayers and despite perhaps far too much regulation it somehow chugs along and provides most of us with a comfortable living standard. And often in exchange for not really that much hard work on our parts.

Adam Smith’s division of labour ideas continue to work their magic behind the scenes.

#37 akashic record on 01.13.19 at 7:38 pm

Doctors are getting more and more sophisticated in diagnosis and manipulating the body mechanically, that can help for a while.

Healing is something entirely different.

The Creator gives the body self-healing. Plants have the ability to aid self-healing. Love has all the energy we need, including healing.

G_d bless, and heal you all.

“The cure for pain is in the pain.”
― Rumi

#38 waiting on the westcoast on 01.13.19 at 7:40 pm

CF – our family is sending you positive vibes! My spouse has been through lymphoma twice so we understand some of your struggle.

I am humbled by your stoic resolve and you inspire me to up my game. Thank you!

Garth – thanks for the post.

#39 not 1st on 01.13.19 at 7:48 pm

If you have money in investments laying around, the best gift you can give your wife is a 2nd opinion outside of Canadian health care. Take a few bucks and see what the Mayo or John Hopkins says.

Canada is about a decade behind US innovation in cancer treatment.

#40 Smoking Man on 01.13.19 at 7:50 pm

He sure is wealthy. He cool about it probably knows our bodys are just containers. Disposable. After you die you get a new one. When it’s my turn ill try and take better care of my new container. I sure as hell messed the one I’m in now. Prayers to you and your family.

#41 New Law on 01.13.19 at 7:52 pm

No freedom for two hours anymore. Sober after you lock away the car for the night, but drink with no intention of driving you are now guilty. This might be unconstitutional which surprises me not, because this government doesn’t like our Constitution. Now we are all guilty and must prove we are innocent. Sounds like Communism, and more like a China regime. Vote well in the next election and don’t split the vote.

#42 DON on 01.13.19 at 7:52 pm

#29 I just … on 01.13.19 at 6:51 pm
hugged my wife.

**********

I just spent afternoon on the trampoline with the kids, I couldn’t think of anything better to do.

Thank you for the reminder CF.

Please blog again as it is a pleasure reading your insights.

#43 Ustabe on 01.13.19 at 8:03 pm

For those able to contribute to today’s and yesterday’s posts in a positive manner, thank you.

Please don’t jump to conclusions on those who either remain silent or simply carry on…everyone processes this type of stuff differently.

Facing a loved one’s imminent demise brings great clarity, my family has had great clarity thrust upon it all too often this past few years.

Hence my reluctance to try and comment out of fear of becoming maudlin and sounding a little “me to”.

#44 acdel on 01.13.19 at 8:10 pm

Been following you for years Garth and by far this is the best post that you have written according to me. It hit home personally, I lost my mother at the same age as I am now due to that terrible cancer.

That young man has an incredible great outlook; what more can be said. God bless him and his loved ones’ and for the other dawgs out there that have gone through or currently going through this terrible disease.

#45 Guillaume on 01.13.19 at 8:14 pm

To the young fellow of Surrey, I would say if you think it is over for you then check the snake diet, take some time to watch a few hours on youtube about what this dude Cole Robinson (Edmonton guy) is doing with a guy that has stage 4 of lung cancer, it is getting huge….Contact him directly if you want. He will help for free, same generosity as Garth demonstrate when educating us for free,
Take this advice as you want, don’t blame me, but this is my duty to tell you that,
respectfully yours,

#46 Rational Observer on 01.13.19 at 8:15 pm

Many types of cancer, many causes.
Some viral, some genetic, some radiation, some chemical.
Don’t know what yours is. But if I had cancer, certain types, I would be taking parthenolide (feverfew). Enough to get my bloodstream concentration into the 20 micromole/liter concentration.

#47 Sask to AB on 01.13.19 at 8:20 pm

re:#3 paracho on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm

Yes, he is an example to us all.
Really makes you think about what is important.
Love, forgiveness, and family.

Thank you Garth, for the post.

#48 Figmund Sreud on 01.13.19 at 8:44 pm

The subject of death, dying has a way of making us see people around us a bit differently. The idea of death stands there, … opens our eyes a bit wider.

F.S. – Calgary, Alberta.

#49 Keith on 01.13.19 at 8:46 pm

Two things are inevitable in life, this man is facing a tragedy with courage, grace and humility. Sending wishes for strength to him and his loved ones, and thanks for a sobering reminder of how precious this fragile state of being is for all of us. Thank you Garth, for offering this needed perspective.

#50 Oakville Rocks! on 01.13.19 at 9:13 pm

#4 Without a doubt you are the dumbest MF to ever come to this blog.

Why Garth continues to tolerate your nonsense is beyond me. Anyone who defends you is equally clueless.

Take your own advice DA, find a piece a land far away from all civilization without internet connection, grow and eat your own carrots (assuming you are even capable of such a simple thing) and live your happy life.

My prayers are with this brave man from Surrey.

#51 Vote Peoples party of Canada on 01.13.19 at 9:43 pm

#41 New Law on 01.13.19 at 7:52 pm

—————————–

Exactly, which is why I will not vote for fake conservative Sheer and his fake party of idiots. Peoples party of Canada all the way.

#52 acdel on 01.13.19 at 9:46 pm

I was not sure whether to post this or not.

For the past few years I have been giving all my empties to an old fellow that comes around once a week.

For whatever reason I was drawn to him due to his attitude. He is probably late 60’s, has a very low voice, pushes a cart along with a cane due he having a stroke many years back. We can all hear him due to he loves to sign his beautiful melodies. The whole neighborhood is drawn to him.

I found out that he lives with his aunt that took him in when he suffered the stroke, he had nobody else. She went blind and he decided to take care of her.

Today, with his usual great upbeat singing his usual off note songs he told me that he was diagnosed with advanced stage of cancer. True story!!

I cannot even read any stupid headlines today and for whatever reason I decided to read today’s blog and the message fit in perfectly. Hopefully at least one person out there gets it!

#53 DON on 01.13.19 at 9:58 pm

#50 Oakville Rocks! on 01.13.19 at 9:13 pm
#4 Without a doubt you are the dumbest MF to ever come to this blog.

My prayers are with this brave man from Surrey.
***********

Sorry Dogs, my bad!

I must have left the door to the alley open.

#50 Oakville Rocks
The way I read Stan was that he was encouraging him to fight the good fight (without knowing CF’s exact details).

I encouraged my mother in law (last year – cancer) and step father (ALS) in the past to do the same. Just try and fight the good fight. “Do not go gentle into that good night” D Thomas. Every second matters.

My wife and mil had a somewhat rocky past at times, but in the end, they spent the time they had ensuring all was good, healthy and loving. No regrets. Finding the best in a bad situation.

#54 Rick Simpson Oil on 01.13.19 at 9:58 pm

Rick Simpson Oil. Try it, nothing to lose at this point.

All the best.

#55 stage1dave on 01.13.19 at 10:02 pm

A compassionate and wise post…time is always our most precious asset.

Not much else I could-or should-add to to the commentary, other than my best thoughts toward the young man in Surrey.

Keep the blue side up!

#56 Bobby Bittman on 01.13.19 at 10:36 pm

#50 You can add that to the many things that are “beyond you”

#57 acdel on 01.13.19 at 10:53 pm

On a lighter note; bad dog!! :)

#58 greyhound on 01.13.19 at 10:56 pm

Beautiful, compassionate, thoughtful — Thank you

#59 JWD on 01.13.19 at 11:07 pm

Touching post from a brave young man.

Enjoy your time, your family and cherish those great memories. We all get caught up in our own lives and life goals until health comes to to forefront. It trumps everything. Without good health it all turns to fluff.

Thanks again for this great blog that affects so many.

#60 CF on 01.13.19 at 11:20 pm

Garth and everyone else, I have to admit I’m kind of embarrassed at all the attention but I appreciate it anyway. I showed my wife too. And for those that figure we’ve given up fighting, we’re still doing what we can but at this point it’s about delaying the inevitable.

#61 Nick B on 01.13.19 at 11:24 pm

I found this article to be extremely moving and inspiring. It was very well written. I can only aspire to live in the stoic manner this young man does. All we ever have is the present and I try to work hard at being aware of that daily.

#62 Fortune500 on 01.13.19 at 11:33 pm

Thank you for sharing Garth. I wonder if it might be possible to set up a GoFundMe page to support on of our own Blog Dogs (do you have his details/wife’s contact).

Even with their good financial habits, I am sure there are many of us here who would be interested in adding to the pot in terms of helping his wife and showing some love that way. I will be the first to donate.

Thank you for sharing your story.

#63 Nonplused on 01.13.19 at 11:39 pm

#4 Stan Brooks

Carrot juice? Really? This guy has some real problems and you suggest carrot juice? Not that there is anything wrong with carrot juice but really? I’m sure if the medical community was aware of the magical properties of carrot juice they’d let a 35 year old patient know about it, even if they had to do so “quietly” because of “big pharma”. After all you don’t need a prescription. A whisper would do.

I’m sorry, it kind of boils my blood when someone has real life problems of a serious magnitude and then someone comes along with an answer like “carrot juice”. I drink a lot of V-8, which has a lot of carrot juice, so I guess I should live forever! Here I thought I just liked it for the taste.

Today I ran in to a couple of kids at the soccer center, one of whom I used to coach. The younger boy was on the field and the older one was just killing time. Then we ran into mom, but strangely dad was not present because in the past they always both came to all games. Turns out dad had total kidney failure this year and is hooked up to a dialysis machine. Nicest guy too. Salt of the earth. Great dad. I didn’t know what to say. I don’t know what the boys are going through, but I bet it is more than I can imagine, and I can imagine quite a lot. The oldest one would be 13. He’s the one I coached and he’s a great kid. Thank God I didn’t say “carrot juice”. It was probably better that I was at a loss for words. It dawned on me later that it was surprising the kids were still playing soccer, but in retrospect I think that’s what their dad wanted.

I’m surprised Garth even let that comment stand. Although I can’t say he’ll let this one stand either because I’m being somewhat disrespectful but I think towards the right person.

Folks, you know what you know, but most of it just ain’t so.

I missed the young man’s comments yesterday I just responded to the original post. But my heart goes out to him and his loved ones.

#64 Rexx Rock on 01.13.19 at 11:40 pm

My prayers go to the young man in Surrey.Please check out Dr. Robert Morse.He has a great clinic in Florida.Check out some of his videos.He has helped thousands over his 40 years as a Naturopatic doctor.

#65 tccontrarian on 01.14.19 at 12:06 am

#43 Ustabe on 01.13.19 at 8:03 pm

———————————
Very insightful comment – thank you!

I wasn’t sure if I could contribute anything of value to the young man with cancer. But, being contrarian in investing and some other aspects of life, I can only suggest to … be contrarian! If everyone expects you to die from cancer and has given up on you, just go the other way and get rid of it. Or just “refuse to lose”! Use whatever cliche works for you but just don’t ever give up – turn over every stone till you find YOUR way back to health.

A couple other posters have made suggestions of things you might want to try – I know for myself I just couldn’t just sit there and wait for the inevitable…

An book I found insightful related to the powers of the mind:

You Are the Placebo, by Dr. Joe Dispenza

#66 LP on 01.14.19 at 12:22 am

We are all, rightly, feeling badly about the young man who is likely facing a certain death. However, spare some compassion for his wife too. She is staring into a future without someone she loves, without the emotional support a loving spouse provides, without the companion she thought she would share her later years with.

At whatever age death rears its ugly reality in a marriage, it is too soon. There is never enough time, never enough of anything that you think will go on forever. Why do we live our lives as if we are invincible, immortal?

Take the opportunity NOW, not tomorrow or next week or next time you see the person, to ask forgiveness if that’s your issue; to tell someone you love that you love them; to plan that trip you’ve talked about for years and years. Do it – while there’s still time. And if you have any inkling of a spiritual life after earthly death, make sure you are in good standing. Again, time is your enemy there too!

#67 Ponzius Pilatus on 01.14.19 at 12:43 am

#22 Myra on 01.13.19 at 6:26 pm
# 2 I’m stupid on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm

————–
Give Flop a break.
This is a hard nosed winner with a 60/40 portfolio takes all blog.
My mother and my wife died from cancer.
No bloggers cried tears for me and my 3 children.
Life is tough.

#68 Sail away on 01.14.19 at 1:30 am

This seems like a reasonable post to discuss life insurance as a financial strategy. For young people, it’s fairly inexpensive to carry a level equal to several years of income, or the remainder of the mortgage, whichever is more important. When you’re more comfortable financially, you can choose to drop it, but insurance can be an absolute life-changer for your family if the worst does happen before you’ve built your nest egg.

#69 Dolce Vita on 01.14.19 at 2:46 am

#1 For those about to flop…

Are you the same guy that a year ago chastised me for saying suspect Zolo & their data?

#70 Dolce Vita on 01.14.19 at 3:07 am

Death a disease acquired at Birth.

We all have it.

One helped by your advice and a reminder to us all.

Dolorem altum videtur.

#71 Hicksville Alberta on 01.14.19 at 3:28 am

To the surrey young man with the terminal cancer diagnosis, my thoughts are with you sincerely.

At the same time it might be of value to do some of your own research into alternative possibilities for treatment and especially cannabis treatments as prescribed by even medical doctors as the use of cannabis for treating various medical conditions including cancer is evolving quite rapidly.

i have a long time friend who is seventy and was diagnosed with stage three aggressive throat cancer in june 2017 in Red Deer then confirmed by the cancer clinic in Calgary and they recommended the standard cut everything out then heavy radiation/ chemo instantly.

He has a cousin and sister who are into the alternative treatments and were up to date enough to recommend and guide him into pursuing an alternate cannabis treatment regimen and he chose that over the standard cancer clinic aggressive treatments.

He has stayed true to the treatment regimen and every three or four months he gets tested to see the state of his tumour and his last was in December which shows the tumour to have basically disappeared although some kind of small unorganized irritation still appears present.

He has seen two different general practitioners at different times to get these tests and both are astonished by his condition and at the same time when they have cancer patients, these same doctors refer their patients on to the cancer clinic BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY ACCEPTED MEDICAL PROTOCOL IN THE MEDICAL PROFESSION and not to do that would probably expose them to all kinds of malpratice claims.

When he started on the cannabis at the beginning, he was taking it orally and it was hard on him and did make and keep him high but that was solved after about six months when they went and converted to dosages to suppositories which works and he does not get high any more.

As he started to get feeling better by last spring he actually went back to Red Deer and back to oilfield trucking again which he is still doing.

If you want to take a bit of a look on youtube, there is an excellent nine part series called ” The Truth About Cancer ” that is well worth watching.

There are also a lot of videos under Cancer Radio or Cancer Health Radio and of course there are many other cancer related stories and videos you can find there.

The main thing for anyone is to try to do some of your own research and go from there.

Good luck in every way.

#72 Purrfect on 01.14.19 at 6:55 am

My mother passed at the age of 34. Whenever anyone gripes about getting old or having another birthday, I just smile and nod.

#73 Tater on 01.14.19 at 7:37 am

#74 Steven Rowlandson on 01.14.19 at 7:42 am

Indeed there is more perverse and profane speech and forms of rudeness in society in recent decades.
It is getting difficult to put up with it and resist the temptation to break the law to punish it. It does however need to be punished.

#75 BillyBob on 01.14.19 at 7:42 am

#36 Shawn Allen on 01.13.19 at 7:35 pm

===================================

I wouldn’t get too smug about that comfortable living standard. That standard is based mainly on borrowed money, thus, on borrowed time and unsustainable. I guess the “hard work” will be for your children, your grandchildren, their children…but hey we got ours, right?

Education-for-profit has the same effect as medicine-for-profit: a two-tiered system. I actually prefer it, because I can afford it. But I don’t pretend it doesn’t favour the rich or contribute to increasing income disparity. Already happening in the universities, now completely dependent on the foreign tuition revenue.

#76 Scott Hamilton on 01.14.19 at 8:03 am

Respect to the young man in question. Hope your remaining days are bright and filled with love. God bless.

#77 TurnerNation on 01.14.19 at 8:16 am

I know of someone in that same situation. Mid 30s. Male and married. His is in remission now, and he leads a very healthy lifestyle. Do not give up. It’s your body.
**My point is, even our prison systems does not issue death sentences, so do not let your doctor give you one.**

#78 BillyBob on 01.14.19 at 8:37 am

#2 I’m stupid on 01.13.19 at 5:11 pm

===================================

So this is what we have devolved to: “grief-shaming” someone if we decide either their feelings or their way of expressing them are not to our liking.

This young man with cancer deserves our sympathy, to be sure. And respect, for taking a positive, hopeful position in the face of a terrible disease. All life is precious, but there is a distinct poignancy in the loss of the young, as it disrupts the natural rhythm of life. In a perfect world no parent should ever have to bury their child.

The kindness of strangers is a beautiful thing. But strangers expressing grief as if they are intimately close when they are not, is a travesty. Fetishizing grief, which has become particular popular in our social-media age, does not become us. And I’m absolutely sure, not the intent of either Garth of the person sharing this intensely personal situation.

Tomorrow I will be attending the memorial service of a colleague who died in this train crash on Jan 2 on his way to work.

He was the same age as our young friend in Surrey. I can assure you I will not be admonishing those in attendance on what to say or how to feel about it.

I guess I have a strong opinion about this because everything I’ve read by Flop over the years indicates a very kind person, the complete opposite of insensitive.

I wish only for courage for both the man with cancer, as well as his loved ones.

#79 TurnerNation on 01.14.19 at 8:47 am

The carrot juice conundrum on here is this: we are told at times our body gets out of whack and only lab synthesized chemicals and radiation can fix it.
On the other hand our body lives and runs on natural chemicals and nutrition and minerals.
Would a mega dose of certain ones *help* more at times. That’s the question.
Or is nuking our poor body the only way. Or both.

#80 crowdedelevatorfartz on 01.14.19 at 8:56 am

Are all you expat Canucks living in Jolly old Blighty ready to crash out of the EU without a deal?
Its looking more and more likely as the most unpopular PM in decades tries to flog a dead horse called Brexit…

Got your passports up to date?
Ready for “hours long” lineups at the airport and the Ferry Terminals?
Will the Pound be printed in Europe since the Bank of England no longer has that capability?
Will Scotland leave?
Wales?
Only British Parliament knows for sure….

Look on the bright side, at least the “Yellow Vest” protesters in France will have a harder time visiting…

#81 dharma bum on 01.14.19 at 9:05 am

Health is our most valuable possession.
Unfortunately, in many cases, health is beyond our control.
When this is the case, individuals suddenly realize that health can never be taken for granted.
For those of us fortunate enough for that not to be the case, we must reexamine our priorities, and put health first.
Physical, mental, and spiritual health must be nurtured above all else.
The rest is simply icing on the cake.
Take care of yourselves dogs.

#82 Flyboy on 01.14.19 at 9:09 am

These are beautiful words that show so much gratitude from a person who has been given the rawest deal out there. The courage and bravery is inspiring to me, makes my problems feel small and insignificant and has opened my eyes a little more to appreciate what I have.

Thank you for the beautiful words, and good luck on your journey.

#83 Ian on 01.14.19 at 9:12 am

I have not commented on this site in probably 5 years, but read daily. To the young man of 35, this is too young. I hope you are able to use some of your funds for a few extra pleasures. God Speed.

#84 milly on 01.14.19 at 9:21 am

CF, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I hope you are surrounded by comfort and love this year.

I am always horrified when someone so young gets terminal cancer. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you find out?

#85 Dissident on 01.14.19 at 9:34 am

Um…………MAGA?

So this is what they mean when they hint about a 2020 recession. Got it.

(btw, the MAGA is said in irony).

#86 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 9:54 am

There is a saying which roughly translates to a man with the mountain of money can never take it with him. Especially if he doesn’t have his health. Anyone remember Steve Jobs?

I moved out of the GTA. Took a huge pay cut and bored out of my skull at work but I get home within 20 mins (10 min walk to parking lot, ~5 min drive home). There is more to life than keeping up with the Joneses.

#87 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 10:03 am

#25 Ace Goodheart on 01.13.19 at 6:41 pm
He’s a prince.

He was asked to give a breath sample on suspicion of impaired driving.

What had gone wrong? Was this a practical joke? Were these police nuts?

He has hired a $10,000 criminal lawyer to fight this.

Happy New year!
——————————————-
I’m confident this case will be dismissed. With most crimes, there must be the element of malice/intent or at least recklessness. Here, there is none. The officers are basically charging a person for a pre-crime. This is a good example of a SJW good intention being made to a silly law which shouldn’t hold up once challenged.

#88 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 10:30 am

Offtopic…

Anyone use Brave browser? Great browser which blocks ads. Doesn’t make money off ad revenue so there isn’t a point to to track users. It uses a cryptocurrency called BAT (basic attention token) as the engine to encourage good web content. BAT can be used to tip a particular site to show your appreciation for the content being delivered. So let’s say there is a financial blog that you like, you can tip it a few dollars and the owner can use the proceeds to maybe buy a beer to help him get through reading comments from the underbelly of society. Just saying…

#89 Phylis on 01.14.19 at 10:31 am

#63 watch out for the salt/sodium levels of v8. I had to switch to alternative product.

#90 Remembrancer on 01.14.19 at 10:57 am

#88 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 10:30 am

For the full story, what’s the cost to our hypothetical financial blog owner to participate in this walled garden given Brave and BAT are a hand & glove closed ecosystem as the BAT developers have, ahem, decided not to work further on other browser enablement at this time according to their site?

Interesting assault on the ad exchanges of the world though…

#91 Godth on 01.14.19 at 11:04 am

The sands are frantic
In the hourglass. But there is time
To change, to utterly destroy
That too-familiar image
Lurking in the glass
Each morning, at the edge of the mirror.
– John Ashbery
Carolyn Baker: “We Are In Unprecedented Territory, On the Threshold of Complete Extinction”

this post compelled me to pull one of my favourite books off the shelf for another read.

#92 Remembrancer on 01.14.19 at 11:06 am

#68 Sail away on 01.14.19 at 1:30 am
———————————————————–
Definitely, while it hasn’t been discussed here recently, separate term life as opposed to mortgage insurance from [email protected] is an important topic to consider, especially when you are young and its relatively inexpensive…

#93 Guillaume on 01.14.19 at 12:47 pm

#60 CF

Deprivation from any source of sugar/carbs and fasting sessions may probably increase your health, check this Snake diet on youtube, this is not witchcraft and it is free, it may help you to feel good if it does not cure you. You should also read the Tolkien’s books “The lord of the rings”, it is all about hope, faith and how we should/can handle it : this book is a beautiful lesson about humanity, all the best to you CF

#94 S on 01.14.19 at 12:48 pm

#70 Dolce Vita on 01.14.19 at 3:07 am

Death a disease acquired at Birth.
We all have it.
One helped by your advice and a reminder to us all.
Dolorem altum videtur.

—————————————————————-
The following quote has been attributed to a number of individuals so perhaps there is something to it.
“Lifeis a sexually transmitted, terminal disease.”

Besides this blog try Vipassana – the suffering will go away. Personally, I have never seen a life that did not end in tears.

All the best to the young fellow and his family. Sounds like he took good care of what’s important.

#95 IHCTD9 on 01.14.19 at 12:48 pm

#86 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 9:54 am

_______

Good job, I also have a 13-15 minute drive home. I can usually have supper on the table by the time Ms. IH gets home, and the evening clean up chores are normally wrapped up by 5:45 – 6:00

I’m the type of guy that really values his spare time – I too took less money to stay working locally when my original employer went bankrupt – and took a job with no guarantees to boot. I had to make my time pay – if I did, I had a job, if not – see ya. It took ~5 years to get back to my previous wages.

Life starts when I get home. I make plans, and do a lot of the work in the evenings – I’ve always got 2-3 things on the go, and there is great satisfaction (much more than working for the Man) in accomplishing these personal goals. IMHO, work is a necessary distraction from doing what I want to do with my time. At least for now.

Now you need to hook up with a Woman who makes similar income as you (if not already done) – and you’ll have it made in the shade.

#96 BillyBob on 01.14.19 at 1:10 pm

#80 crowdedelevatorfartz on 01.14.19 at 8:56 am

Got your passports up to date?
Ready for “hours long” lineups at the airport and the Ferry Terminals?
Will Scotland leave?
Wales?
Only British Parliament knows for sure….

===================================

Expats can leave if it they want. It’s the natives you should waste your faux concern on.

I look at it as front-row seats to history being made. If it even happens. Inching closer towards a 2nd referendum all the time.

Observation: Brits couldn’t care a whit about what goes on in Canada, yet a pathetic Canuck speculates on Brexit. Understandable I suppose, a Brexit or yellow vest movement could never succeed in Canada. Canadians are too accustomed to just bending over and taking it from their governments.

Pity.

#97 IHCTD9 on 01.14.19 at 1:11 pm

#77 TurnerNation on 01.14.19 at 8:16 am
________

I echo this for CF – he’s not dead yet, you never know what forces in this universe may come to bear on CF’s future.

An elderly family member years back was on his “death bed” according to Doctors. We were gathered together to discuss “pulling the plug” and decided to give it another couple days. 3 days later he was awake and recovering. He went on living another 10 years. I guess it wasn’t his time to go yet.

I’m not sure on your spirituality, but I’ve sent a couple prayers for you CF – and I’ve asked for healing. You might consider this option as well if you are not a dyed in the wool atheist type. I get the impression a lot of folks here have sent prayers on your behalf, and in my experience – this is a very good thing to have going for you.

Keep your chin up, and all the best CF.

#98 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 1:24 pm

#95 IHCTD9 on 01.14.19 at 12:48 pm
#86 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 9:54 am

—————————-
If I could only have my cake and eat it too. The downgrade in wages was so the wife can stay home raising the little guy. I don’t have a lot anymore to fill up the TFSAs and RRSPs but I also don’t have any debt other than a monthly $700 mortgage and $400 car payment.

#99 Mattl on 01.14.19 at 1:41 pm

This is a good opportunity to talk insurance. Term coverage is incredibly cheap for young folks. For someone 30-40 years old, under a hundred bucks to insure two people for 1MM each. Anyone with kids or large financial commitments should have a healthy amount of term coverage.

I’m always amazed at the look my friends give me when I bring up insurance. Guess the plan is to leave the problem to someone else. I basically forced a bud with a young son to pop 80 a month to get some coverage. Basically the cost of a cheap dinner out for 3, per month, will give your spouse a 1-2MM cushion.

I’d also encourage high wage earners to cover their child care providing spouses. I think a lot of us take for granted the value that a stay at home / part time working wife provides. It is many multiples what they may earn, and if you travel or work a lot good luck doing that as a single parent without very expensive child care. I couldn’t work the way I do without my wife taking care of the household, and for that reason I have appropriate coverage on her.

#100 Ace Goodheart on 01.14.19 at 1:48 pm

It’s unfortunate that it takes this sort of event to expose the absurdness of the mantra being sold to young folks in North America.

“Work hard until you’re 65 or 70, then retire and live the good life”.

For this young person, of course, that mantra is unworkable. He won’t make it through the year.

For most of us, it is a fake gift from a society that routinely forces its members into lifelong slavery just to achieve the basic necessities of existence.

When you do “retire” at age 65 or 70, chances are you’ll be riddled with health problems, have very little time left anyway, and be in no mood to live your life and enjoy yourself. Other than trips to the doctor and remembering to take your meds, many people do not really do all that much in their “golden years”.

Mind you, that is not the case for everyone. Some people are quite active. But it is a false promise to make to everyone, in such a ridiculous way.

The “north american premium” on existence is becoming more and more noticeable to everyone, particularly now that we are entering into a time where basic living is becoming beyond the reach of the average working person.

Do you know that most of this planet has persons who are able to get by on around $50.00 US per month or less? That is 90 % of us.

The other 10% have to earn 10K per month, between two full time working persons, while the kids are cared for by others, just to survive.

It makes no sense. And when we see a person who is about to leave this world, just being happy for what he managed to experience, and we hear that the best memories are family memories, then I guess the question to ask is, in between seeing your kids for 10 minutes in the morning, while you shuffle them off to daycare, and then for an hour at night before they go to bed, and to take them to grandma and grandpa’s on the weekend so you can get caught up with stuff around the house, what family memories exactly do we have?

For many people, probably not a whole lot of them….

#101 Stan Brooks on 01.14.19 at 1:56 pm

#63 Nonpulsed

Multiple cases of cancer in 2 immediate families,all resolved successfully.

You know NOTHING about cancer.

Absolutely agree with tcconttarian: don’t be a sheeple and fight it.

#102 Terry on 01.14.19 at 2:04 pm

Cash pile-up, human nature in full display. Selling low. When they think it’s time to come back into the market they will be buying higher again.

Weekly total net assets of money market mutual funds

12/04/18 $2.91 trillion
12/12/18 $3.00 trillion
12/19/18 $3.01 trillion
12/26/18 $3.04 trillion
01/02/19 $3.05 trillion
01/09/19 $3.07 trillion

Source: Investment Company Institute

#103 IHCTD9 on 01.14.19 at 2:07 pm

#98 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 1:24 pm
#95 IHCTD9 on 01.14.19 at 12:48 pm
#86 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 9:54 am

—————————-
_____

You are still winning. Ms. IH took 14 months off for each kid (28 total). And then went back part time till each was full time in school. Our Mortgage was ~1200.00/mo. back then (6.4%). I was not pumping huge amounts into investments either during those years – but it was dead consistent.

Staying out of huge debts is critical, and if you are already keeping things in the black while simultaneously paying down a mortgage AND shuffling a bit into investments – what more could you ask of a single income household?

Once the kid(s) are in school full time, wife can go back to work part/full time – that extra income makes a huge difference after years of scraping by on one income alone. You can catch up then if you need to.

#104 jess on 01.14.19 at 2:18 pm

joseph campbell:

“We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”

================================
3rd quarter 2018 i don’t think ‘surge’ is the right word?

#105 Ustabe on 01.14.19 at 2:43 pm

Funny how its fake news if you don’t agree with it but perfectly acceptable to promulgate slanted info if it promotes your point of view.

Read 5C and try and understand.

Operation while impaired

320.‍14 (1) Everyone commits an offence who

(a) operates a conveyance while the person’s ability to operate it is impaired to any degree by alcohol or a drug or by a combination of alcohol and a drug;

(b) subject to subsection (5), has, within two hours after ceasing to operate a conveyance, a blood alcohol concentration that is equal to or exceeds 80 mg of alcohol in 100 mL of blood;

(c) subject to subsection (6), has, within two hours after ceasing to operate a conveyance, a blood drug concentration that is equal to or exceeds the blood drug concentration for the drug that is prescribed by regulation; or

(d) subject to subsection (7), has, within two hours after ceasing to operate a conveyance, a blood alcohol concentration and a blood drug concentration that is equal to or exceeds the blood alcohol concentration and the blood drug concentration for the drug that are prescribed by regulation for instances where alcohol and that drug are combined.

Exception — alcohol

(5) No person commits an offence under paragraph (1)‍(b) if

(a) they consumed alcohol after ceasing to operate the conveyance;

(b) after ceasing to operate the conveyance, they had no reasonable expectation that they would be required to provide a sample of breath or blood; and

(c) their alcohol consumption is consistent with their blood alcohol concentration as determined in accordance with subsection 320.‍31(1) or (2) and with their having had, at the time when they were operating the conveyance, a blood alcohol concentration that was less than 80 mg of alcohol in 100 mL of blood.

Anyone having this new 2 hour window thing thrown at them will have to be a real observable idiot…maybe that is why some of you are concerned?

#106 n1tro on 01.14.19 at 3:23 pm

#105 Ustabe on 01.14.19 at 2:43 pm

Read 5C and try and understand.

Operation while impaired
——————————————
320.‍14 (1) section B is nullified by subsection 5a.

So in the story posted, we have to take the facts at face value and that the person being arrested was NOT already intoxicated within 2 hours of ceasing driving (320.14 (1) B and only only started drinking after he got to the bar which makes it perfectly legal (5a).

For the charges to stick, the officers would have to prove the man came into the bar drunk and get into their time machine and force him to take the breath test as he entered to established the legal limit was exceeded.

What should be concerning is that this “feels like the right thing to do” and “we shouldn’t have pity on drunks” law allows cops to demand a breath test from any individual without probable cause.

#107 The Charter of Rights and Freedoms on 01.14.19 at 3:28 pm

#105 Ustabe – What concerns me the most is why most citizens today don’t know why the Constitution was enacted in the first place. It was the beginning of a framework for interpretation to develop with the final say by the courts right up to the Supreme Court of Canada. Why did we need this in the first place? What is happening today we have those that no longer believe in the rule of law anymore, whereby the politicians are deciding and ignoring our Rights and Freedoms that were established under the Constitution.

#108 Ace Goodheart on 01.14.19 at 3:30 pm

I think this is the issue with the new law:

Basically what you are required to do, if charged with this new “2 hours after” drinking and driving offence, is prove that, as of the time you parked, your BAC was under the limit.

How you are going to do that, is anyone’s guess. It puts the onus on the person operating the vehicle, to prove that they were sober when they parked it.

What I might do is purchase a BAC meter and blow into it when I park, and take a pic of the reading. If the pic is date and time stamped, maybe that would be enough to prove that my BAC was zero when I parked?

Otherwise, how are you going to prove your alcohol consumption? Particularly if you are drinking at a house? Who is monitoring that?

#109 jess on 01.14.19 at 3:31 pm

#110 Shawn Allen on 01.14.19 at 3:32 pm

Some People Sold, Who Bought?

#102 Terry on 01.14.19 at 2:04 pm noted:

Weekly total net assets of money market mutual funds

12/04/18 $2.91 trillion
12/12/18 $3.00 trillion
12/19/18 $3.01 trillion
12/26/18 $3.04 trillion
01/02/19 $3.05 trillion
01/09/19 $3.07 trillion

Source: Investment Company Institute

******************************
No argument. But if many people were selling low to go to cash, who bought? Every share sold was also bought by someone. Including by some of the comenters on this blog.

I have always had a problem with “funds flow” statements because they always seem to imply that it is possible for investors as a total population to pull money out of stocks by selling. In fact while selling pressure and lower prices do lower the wealth in stocks, not a dollar of net cash gets extracted from the market when some investors sell shares to others. When one person pulls out a dollar from stocks, the buyer must put in a dollar.

#111 Renter's Revenge! on 01.14.19 at 3:36 pm

#25 Ace Goodheart on 01.13.19 at 6:41 pm

“He was asked to give a breath sample on suspicion of impaired driving.”

“This was perfectly legal. They changed the laws in Canada. Now, if you are caught drunk within 2 hrs of parking your car, you can be charged with drinking and driving offences, even if you were not driving and had no intention of driving.”

==================================

There’s probably more to this story then your friend told you.

He was probably drinking at work before he drove home, and someone who new his plans for the evening reported him to the police. Otherwise how would they know where he went? Or why they would bother to track him down and test him?

That seems to be the point of this law. To catch drunk drivers after they’ve left the car, so that they can’t get away simply by claiming that they weren’t caught while they were driving.

#112 jess on 01.14.19 at 4:00 pm

PG&E shares plunge 50% over bankruptcy filing
Shareholders = wiped out

#113 Oakville Rocks! on 01.14.19 at 4:36 pm

#4, 45, 46, 54, 65, 71, 79, 93 The Horror.

I guess you are all waiting for Garth’s blog post on the financial wisdom of The Secret.

Seriously, offering unsolicited treatment advice to a man diagnosed with terminal cancer is helpful?
Disgraceful.

Steve Jobs – know him?… maybe some of you think he is still living. Walter Isaacson, Job’s biographer who spent many months with him as he was dying said that they frequently spoke about Job’s cancer treatment and Steve’s one regret was that he had wasted so much time seeking alternative treatments before turning to conventional medicine.

So, maybe you all are smarter than Steve Jobs, maybe you have more money to investigate or pursue these alternative treatments… but I am guessing no.

And Babbling Brooks – you do not even understand something as basic as a carrot. One of the carrots primary benefits is its fiber. The minute you juice it, you lose a lot of that. Show me someone credible that says juicing a carrot is better than just cleaning it and eating it? Damn dude, have you never grown a carrot?

#114 TurnerNation on 01.14.19 at 5:27 pm

Yellow tractor guy: luckily it’s not me.

At any rate, spirit? Same as everyone else’s.

#115 GEORGE on 01.14.19 at 6:02 pm

There is ALWAYS Hope, the greatest of Hopes.
For Christ is Risen from the Dead
Trampling down Death by Death,
and into those in the Tombs, bestowing Life.

For what can separate us from the Love of Christ nor Height nor Depth nor Life nor Death.

Christ is Risen, Truly He is Risen! Glorify Him!

#116 Guillaume on 01.14.19 at 6:33 pm

#113 Oakville Rocks!

I guess you are a doctor ….. I don’t need any lesson from an arrogant and falsely compassionate prick (because you don’t even know this poor fellow, so you can cry as you want it’s fake…) ! BTW how many AIDS patients have you and your friends killed with AZT in the 80’s ?

#117 Ustabe on 01.14.19 at 7:38 pm

Legal experts, law experts, constitutional experts, self-directed investment experts. Health experts.

I’m in awe.

Awestruck.

#118 Tim on 01.14.19 at 9:15 pm

My best wishes for emotional strength and support to the young man as you live however much time you have left on this earth.

May you find happiness and treasured companionship in the midst of suffering, and I hope the medical professionals caring for you find the right ways to give you the best quality of life possible in this time.

One measure of a man is how well he takes care of those that depend on him.

It must be deeply gratifying, after years of saving and good financial planning, to know your beloved will be cared for by you and your efforts in the years ahead no matter what. Well done.

#119 miketheengineer on 01.15.19 at 4:58 pm

Garth et al:

I had cancer at age 16. Ewings Sarcoma. They told me at the time, that it was caught early, but with ES it is aggressive, and they informed us that within 12 months you will know, one way or the other. That was back in 1985. No internet, no advice, no natural path doctors just the dumb old library with old fashioned books. They did biopsy first. But they only took out part of the tumer. Margins were most likely not clear. They told me they could not operate to get clear margins. I started radiation 2 weeks after my 16th birthday (I had the surgery on my birthday). 6 weeks. During that time they started the chemo….9 months. During that time I met Mr. Silva. He shrunk his tumer from soft ball size to golf ball size. He did what the doctors told him to do. And he took Vitamin C. And he got a juicer. He went 3 years longer than the doctors told him he would. So my mom got a juicer and I started taking Vitamin C. We had carrot juice often. There is no “do this” and you live. Everyone is different. Also, I had several old Catholic Nonna’s who were praying for me daily. Belief in God helps. Anyway that is my story. 35 years NED.