Anew

Some days ago this blog went furry (and slobbery – more than usual) with an update on Bandit. Now past 13 he struggles, yet throws off a love and loyalty greater than the care he needs. Dogs, as written here, depict goodness. The bond with humans must be the truest in creation. We provide for them. They teach and improve us. At a time when hate and prejudice are rising, the world need more dogs.

Some of you asked if your canines could join Bandit. My pleasure. Here’s a sampling.

Walter and Vinny (owner – Mark from Windsor)
Attached is a picture of my two mutts! (Walter and Vinny). The one on the left is a chihuahua/we don’t know that came from a puppy mill down in Indiana. The right is a mini schnauzer who was spoiled and from a breeder.

I’ve followed your blog for years and look forward to continuing that habit. Your advice is what prompted me to transfer to Windsor 5 years ago and buy a house at a mere 2x my income – an important decision that resulted in being able to have our 3 now 3 year old daughter comfortably on a single income while saving lots. Which, looking around, is increasingly uncommon – so I thank you for that!

DJ (owner – Rural Rick)
This is my late partner DJ. He was a great one. For sure all dogs go to heaven. All the best in the New Year.

Junior (owner – Chris Bodnar)
Hi Garth. Further to your blog response earlier today, here is a pic of my boy Junior. I met him in 2011 east of Parry Sound. He was living in a flea market, chained to a bed in a garage with no light at night. Often left alone I was told. Emancipated and thought to be deranged. Since that’s not contagious and the owner clearly was, I got him out of there. His tag said Dog, and it had a serial number. Turns out he had a record in Huntsville. First owner had passed, left at a pound. Second owners moved and gave him back. The flea market owner picked him up and offered him to a woman who he fancied, but she rejected both of them. I took him to Toronto and now he owns Liberty Village, takes an elevator to his palace and has a large social pack he see’s almost daily for their walk. He’s a local celebrity and has been for years. Years of neglect and abandonment, I hope, are faded memories over written with years of love and mutually beneficial cohabitation.  I caught him mid grin, ear to ear. Still reading daily. Thank you.

Kia (owner – Barb Mitchell)
She was a gift from H and arrived at 4 months of age to begin her life as Greeter at our little Par 3 golf course.  From day one, she loved everyone….and would sit at the patio looking toward the parking lot, wagging her tail as she heard golfers approach.  A small shepherd, she could still intimidate newcomers with young children.  She appeared to anticipate the reluctance of both the youngster and his parents that a “fearsome dog” was present, and instinctively walked a short distance to lay down and continue the tail wagging.  Her eyes smiled constantly, and she soon gained the trust of parents and children.  Of everyone.

One miserable weather day when I was alone in the clubhouse, I heard her bark—almost uncontrollably—I had never heard her bark like that.  I stepped outside to see Kia circling a man—who appeared not to be here for golfing—and whose demeanor frightened me.  I demanded he leave immediately and he swatted the air near Kia as she continued to bark and circle him.  He left the property, Kia guiding him halfway with her barks.  She snorted her disapproval of him as she returned to sit by me.

Less anxious moments were always the day after the season ended, when she would stand at the residence sliding door, looking up the hill, then back at me as though to ask “shouldn’t we BE somewhere?” For the next six months, she revelled in winter’s downtime and long walks up the mountain until it was spring and time to resume her duties.

The end came three months shy of her 14th birthday when a stroke paralyzed her…those gentle smiling eyes were unaffected and H and I held her and consoled our dear friend until the travelling vet had helped her breathe her last.  I posted the R.I.P. photo at the front desk so regulars could immediately understand why Kia wasn’t on the patio to greet them.

One, with tears in his eyes, laughed and admitted she had helped his game.  I hadn’t been aware that she had picked up his ball on #9 green when she was still young.  He approached the green and said “drop it”, and she spat the ball onto the green.  He said she dropped it closer to the hole, and he sank the previously unlikely putt.

I recall an internet photo of a shepherd with a small child.  The caption read:  “they’re not dangerous if you raise them correctly…and neither is the dog.”  The bond is love.

Posh (owner – Tom Parkinson)
I have forwarded your words on to all our dog owner friends.Our Sheltie, Posh was a successful show dog, but a failure in the breeding department.  So we got her when she was three.

She ensures that we get exercise several times a day and herds us in the interim. She is the third pooch to teach us the importance of canine values.

Sonnyboy (owners – Jack & Eileen Reilly)
Hi Garth. Jack wants to brag about his boy and asked me to send these. A lot of them are Sonny with our Dad as they are joined at the hip. Sonny has been an excellent nurse and caregiver to dad in his final few months. You email about your love of your dogs made me cry. I wish you all the best in 2019 and hope your beautiful boy fills you with love.

Mengu (owner – Aclyeh)
Thanks for sharing something about Bandit, it really teaches us to appreciate family and friends around us – nothing is permanent. Looking at Bandit reminded me of my wife’s dog, a Yorkshire Terrier and something combination. When I knew my girlfriend he was already 9ish.

We live in Japan so only get to see him when we go to Sydney once a year, he got increasingly blind and deaf with every trip down under, but always comes to find my wife even based on scent alone. Last year he died in his sleep at the ripe age of 15 (we think). We were in Japan and her parents couldn’t tell her until a couple of weeks later.

The picture was taken 2 years ago, him relaxing on a nice summer around Xmas timing in the parent’s kitchen. That fav spot keeps him nice and cool during the hot days – blocks the kitchen and carport entrance a bit, but nobody complains of course.

Mitz (owner – Mitzerboy)
This is a picture of our two canine companions. Mitz was 15 before the surgeries to cut out the cancer on his leg and pain meds weakened him too much. He was stoic to the end. Sammy aka Rambo the cockapoo is still kicking at 18 …

Hoping to be able to keep reading your words into 2019. Love is Love and hate is hate …

Sophie (owner – Paul Shepherd)
Your piece today on Bandit struck a chord. I am 81, have an 11.5 year old sheltie, Sophie, who like me is failing.  She is deaf, lost most of her teeth but has been an incredible companion. Average life span for a Sheltie, 14 to 15 years.

Like you, I have been a dog lover all my life and have had several.  Saying good bye is so so hard to do. I read your column daily and have never written to you. God bless, and give Bandit a hug from me.

Libby (owner – Scott Nystrom)
You’ve made me cry. Your picture of Bandit today made me think of a pic I took of the best dog that ever lived, Libby. My wife and I adopted her from the Winnipeg Humane Society in 2013, six days after moving in to our first house. The day before, we met her and put an adoption hold on her. She was quiet, calm and friendly. One look at her from the other side of the gate to her stall and we were in love. No need to meet her face to face.

Turns out the reason she was so calm and quiet was due to the sedatives that were still wearing off from her recent spay. What we adopted was a bundle of pure unbridled and uncontrolled energy. A nuclear reactor with the control rods too far out. Talk about smart, though. Fortunately, my wife made the commitment to Libby that she would teach her how to be a well-behaved dog.

What we ended up with was the most friendly, driven, energetic and fun dog I can ever imagine. We lost her at the age of 16 to bone cancer while on vacation in my wife’s home town in Newfoundland. Libby permanently rests in the woods behind my mother-in-law’s house. I miss her dearly. I’ve attached the pic that I have just spent the better part of half an hour crying at. Although it’s been over a year since she left us, I am still not over her and still not quite ready for another dog.

Thanks for doing what you do. My wife and I appreciate very much all that you’ve taught us.

#1 Rod on 12.30.18 at 2:25 pm

Nice / great stories speechless..happy new years to all…

#2 Bill Grable on 12.30.18 at 2:53 pm

These stories and the LOVE pouring from this piece is something else.

Please give Bandit a hug from both of us…

This was a wonderful way to say goodbye to 2018.

Happy New Years to the Turner clan and all you blog dogs!!!

#3 Wicked as it seems on 12.30.18 at 3:31 pm

In love with a French bulldog called Lola, she can’t come to Oaxaca Mexico because it’s too hot, miss her dearly all winter. Been with you for 9 years Garth, your blog is beyond precious to me, you were actually my reason to give it all up, become a financially well off solo traveler with nothing but a 21″ carry on for the last 7 years! Your a daily meditation, a financial caring guru, a good chuckle anywhere in the world. But the bowser angle shows purity and goodness….thanks for it all and HNYear!

#4 Geoff F on 12.30.18 at 3:55 pm

Happy New Year Garth, family, and readers! Such a wonderful feeling to be a part of this group.

#5 Goldie on 12.30.18 at 3:57 pm

Beautiful.

#6 SoggyShorts on 12.30.18 at 4:11 pm

#66 Bottoms_Up on 12.30.18 at 1:07 am
Wish i had the amount of money required in order to only pay 1% for all that expertise and advice. Seriously can’t believe someone would complain…spending $10,000 on a million to make $60,000 seems a pretty sweet deal.
****************************
6% with 2% going to inflation.
That leaves 4% with 1% going to your advisor.
Remember, ETFs aren’t free either if your advisor uses those, there’s at least a .08% MER on those, up to maybe 0.60% which you pay.

If your portfolio is your retirement plan, even a 1% advisor is taking 25% of your income each year. They had better be a full-service firm like the bearded one offers for that to be worth it.

#7 I'm stupid on 12.30.18 at 4:47 pm

#6 soggy shorts

You forgot to deduct the fees from your taxes, so 1% is actually 0.6% or less depending on your tax bracket. Then there’s the time it takes to do it yourself.

I use to invest my own money before becoming a client of Turner investments. Time was the deciding factor in having my portfolio professionally managed. I would obsess over my portfolio when I managed it myself. I would spend upwards of 6-8 hours a day reading financials and doing research. That’s on top of actually working, and maintaining my relationship. I prefer freeing up my time so I can spend it with my wife and now my son.

All for the tax deductible price of 1% of my portfolio.

#8 earlybird on 12.30.18 at 5:04 pm

Awhh…love it! Still heartbroken from my dogs death 5 years ago…not sure if I could go through that ever again. Truly the most beautiful creatures…

#9 Tenugi0 on 12.30.18 at 5:06 pm

Can we make columns like this one a regular feature? Thanks for all you do Garth!

#10 ts on 12.30.18 at 5:07 pm

Garth, thanks for all you do on this blog – it is truly priceless. Heartwarming stories as on today’s post really makes one appreciate how precious life truly is and how short our time is on this earth.

Happy New Year to you and your family and to all the readers.

#11 TRUMP on 12.30.18 at 5:20 pm

Just tearing up thinking of my best friend I lost last year after 7 years…… She has been replaced but not forgotten.

Your AWESOME Garth

Thats all I have to say.

#12 Yanniel on 12.30.18 at 5:25 pm

Lovely. Thanks for sharing this.

#13 yvrmc on 12.30.18 at 5:31 pm

That pic of Libby is just like my Mollie . She is 14 now , very grey all over. She doesn’t move very well now but her mind is sharp , and she still thinks she is 3 or 4 yrs old. The best friend ever . She is ailing and I know the end is near. I’m not sure how we will handle it….. Some wise person I read once , said dogs will only give you a lifetime of joy and love and one day of immense heartache on their last day….. Love to Bandit and all of the blog dog furry family members.

#14 wendi1 on 12.30.18 at 5:35 pm

My sweetie is 15 or 16, a small mixed breed with quite a bit of border collie.

I would send a picture, but none of them do her justice.

#15 Robert B on 12.30.18 at 5:41 pm

Well done Garth

They are all beautiful companions because they are more than just a dog. Unconditional love and all they ask for is water and a bowl of food.

#16 Fish on 12.30.18 at 5:42 pm

ICBC asks for 6.3% increase to basic insurance rates

Public auto insurer projected to lose $890M this year
CBC News · Posted: Dec 14, 2018 11:07 AM PT | Last Updated: December 14

#17 devore on 12.30.18 at 6:03 pm

#7 I’m stupid

It’s not even the time you’re spending, which is already a self-contained argument in favor, but also consider the cost of your mistakes, as you’re learning to do it yourself. Especially early on, when growth compounding is most important, a few grand can set you back months or more.

#18 Franco on 12.30.18 at 6:08 pm

Beautiful picture and pictures Garth, we will all (hopefully) see the sunset soon enough.

#19 RA on 12.30.18 at 6:10 pm

Love the blog. The dog stories are
a bonus.

#20 Barb on 12.30.18 at 6:22 pm

Stunning photo of Bandit at his own twilight, Garth. So peaceful yet poignant.

Grateful you’ve included my Kia, thank you.
A bit of immortality for her, which I treasure.

A sincere thanks to the contributors, and sharing priceless photos and stories of the unconditional love they experienced with their four-legged family members.

Out of Kleenex…again.

Thank you Garth from a grateful audience.
Happy New Year to you and yours from me and mine.

#21 Muttley O'Toole on 12.30.18 at 6:29 pm

This is a beautiful blog and it proves beyond doubt GT would make an incredible Canadian PM.
Probably his only opposition would be cat people and dancing teachers.

#22 Island Car Dude on 12.30.18 at 6:43 pm

Wish I could have had a dog. Circumstance conspired against me so it never happened and nor will it. I’ve learned to be OK with it though. Not sure which is worse; having a dog and losing it or seeing everyone’s great dogs and knowing it can’t be for me.

#23 Darryl Coombs on 12.30.18 at 6:47 pm

Looks like Mark was walking his dogs in Blue Heron Park .

#24 Dolce Vita on 12.30.18 at 6:49 pm

Had an English Springer Spaniel, early 80’s Calgary, named him Rocky (not his purebred names).

Trained him myself to pheasant hunt and he understood all manner of useful verbal, whistle and hand commands. He was really smart and had a great nose too. He loved duck hunting as well.

Also trained him to be a ton of love. Neighbor kids in Winter would come to my door and ask if Rocky could come out and play street hockey. Not only was he a good hunting dog, he was also a great street hockey goalie (a tennis ball was the puck).

The Calgary Springer Spaniel Club reckoned the way I had him trained and being a purebred he was worth at least $1,700 back then. He was priceless to me.

Moved to Edmonton. He did not escape the eye of a Dog Kidnapping Ring back then and got stolen. 3 months, every night, plying the area where he was last reported seen and to no avail. Didn’t find him.

Never got a dog since then nor thought I would admit that it was like having lost a family member. He was 2 years old, going on 3. He left a lasting impression even for the short time that I had him.

I miss that crazy fun, lick your face off dog. He liked my homemade spaghetti with tomato sauce and Parmigiano-Reggiano (double portion, gone in 10 seconds or less) and going to Dairy Queen on hot summer days where he got a small cone to himself, all I did was hold it for him and he was in Springer Spaniel heaven.

Glad to read that others in the Blog today are enjoying their dogs to the fullest.

Yes, so very nice to read. Brought back for me fond memories from near 40 years ago.

Buonanotte.

#25 Oakville Sucks on 12.30.18 at 6:49 pm

I loved reading tonight’s blog! The family lost our border collie in a tragic accident back in the early 60’s and till this day he is missed everyday.

One thing dogs can teach us is that there is a very good side to every human being and if we could be this good to each other what a wonderful world this could be.

#26 Yuus bin Haad on 12.30.18 at 7:34 pm

We lived in the country for close to twenty years and not having animals of our own, the community creatures were always welcome on the property. We got to enjoy their company and they ours, but, like with grand-kids, we saw them off when playtime was over. Fortunately, the building we’re in now is pet-friendly and we have a whole new set of casual companions. Not the same as “owning”, I know, but comforting just the same.

#27 TurnerNation on 12.30.18 at 7:36 pm

Splendid news my DNA test results came back:
1/1024th Blog Dog.

#28 robert james on 12.30.18 at 7:53 pm

Dogs,, man, dogs are heart breakers.. They give so much and ask for so little.. I love labs , I am like a lab magnet when I am on a walk and they see me they always come running to me with their tails wagging… My big yellow lab, Buddy ,, passed on May 30 th 2006 at the age of 13.5 from cancer, still have not got over him yet and probably never will.. My current lab , Joey, is a chocolate lab , I could not get another yellow because of Buddy.. Anyway,,Joey is now 12.5 years old and doing well but I will be going through this Bloody heartbreak again in a year or so.. Dogs can tear your heart out but they are worth it.. Bugger off Felix !! let the dog people have their say and thanks Garth for letting us tell our stories about our beloved dogs.. Cheers!!

#29 Love and hate on 12.30.18 at 7:53 pm

Interesting subject.
In short, I love animals and tolerate most humans.
However, there are some humans I like not so much.

Sell fentanyl to our kids and buy our houses,hmm, I’m not going to like you.
You wanna call me a hater, fine.

I think it’s fair to say, I’d like to see them suffer the ultimate pain before they depart.

Hate can be just as powerful as love, even more so.
Device for yourself which one you deserve.

#30 jane24 on 12.30.18 at 8:41 pm

Reading this with my Brussels Griffon sleeping on my feet as usual. In 4 years he has never learned that this is how you get stepped on so much. Smart in every other way, just this feet sleeping thing. Also in 4 years I have only had 8 people say, wow a Griffon, you never see them today. Compared with 800 people who have said what a cute dog, what is it?

#31 The Truth on 12.30.18 at 8:49 pm

Just wondering, I understand this love of dogs or even cats, but what about all these other precious animals on this earth? Pigs, Cows, Chickens, why is it that someone will call them self an animal lover, perhaps even n owner of a puppy or cat, yet eat bacon, steak, or chicken and justify it by saying that those animals were killed humanely.
The reality is that people are conditioned to believe that it is OK to slaughter and kill other animals to satisfy their
Own taste buds.
It truly is sad what is happening in this world when we put certain animals on a hierarchy, because of conditioning. If you were to slit the throat of a dog or cat, you’d not only be thrown in jail, but be on the front page of the newspaper, yet if you were to slit a neck of a cow, pig, or chicken, you’d be justified as you’re feeding yourself.
It has been proven time and time again that a plant based diet is not only healthier, reducing healthcare costs, but a plant based diet would reduce greenhouse gases too.
And before you label me, NO, I have not always been vegan, nor am I member of PETA, it’s only been 5 years now. I’ve only opened up my mind and educated myself and I often find it so hypocritical that people can justify the killing of one animal over another.

#32 For those about to flop... on 12.30.18 at 8:59 pm

Recent sale report.

These guys just smashed a bottle of Pink Champagne over their heads.

The details…

8540 Wagner Drive, Richmond

paid 1.6 June 2016

Sold 1.42 December 2018

Originally asking 1.69

Assessment 1.56

So yet another one that shows that a lot of people are just trying to escape without ripping anyone off, just needing one person to be fed the wrong information.

Alas, it was them that fell victim to the misinformation being handed around.

16% or 250k loss when the debris is mopped up.

Crappy New Year…

Mar 6:$1,698,000
Sep 19: $1,538,000
Change: – 160000.00 -9%

#33 Nonplused on 12.30.18 at 9:00 pm

Since it’s dog day I will retell my story.

I had never owned a dog before, although I looked after a couple of mutts as a house sitting deal that went on nearly 4 years unexpectedly.

Then I had a boy. The boy wanted a dog but I said “no, we’re renting”. Then I bought a house. With 2 acres. Then the boy, 6 at the time, said shortly after moving in, “dad, do we own this house?” “Yes.” “So we can get a dog? After all we own this house right?” Christ was right “let your yes be yes and your no be no”. Don’t rely on conditions to get you out because conditions change.

My wife, being the more dog familiar person, handled the acquisition of the dog and her and the boy selected a rescue dog from the local shelter. He’s been a valued member of the family ever since. He even likes camping in the RV because he gets lots of walks and most RVer’s take their dogs with them so there are lots of friends to meet. Plus we hike a lot when camping and dogs love hiking.

My ex-wife had a dog, and although it was a little harder to handle than our dog it was good. It would come to stay with us with our daughters when my ex was out of town. (I wouldn’t have let the ex stay but the dog? This wasn’t the dog’s fight.) When she (the dog) passed on my ex took to “fostering” shelter dogs. We got to know many of them too. Most respect I ever had for my ex. Well not true she was a good mother to my children and she never did the “denial of parenting rights” some ex’s do. But we are talking about dogs. My ex wife’s dog used to come hang with me in the garage when I was having a cigar. She liked smoking, and definitely didn’t see the problems I had with my ex as her problems. Dogs are don’t care. We could probably learn something here.

I am so glad we did not get hung up on breed and instead went for a young abandoned puppy of unknown lineage. He’s probably mostly German Shepard and Collie according to the vet and maybe some husky or malamute too (he came from a reserve, and a lot of the dogs from that reserve that we’ve met look a lot like him). But he’s a good natured sweetheart. I call him a “Morley purebred”. The residents of the Morley reserve are somewhat overwhelmed with dogs because they have a loose population that has escaped their control but also because the people from Calgary who don’t want their dogs anymore think it’s a good place to drop them off “AI” style, if you’ve ever seen that movie. Kudos to the Morley residents when they do capture a dog they bring it to the Cochrane Human society and almost all of them get adopted.

Anyway, he’s probably got another 6 years to go before I need to make some decisions but Garth, when I think about it I can feel what you are going through. I am not in any way suggesting you should put him down before his day, and I am not suggesting in anyway that there is a remote chance you will go to heaven when you get put down by your maker, but in the off-chance you do get to heaven Bandit will be there. Wagging his tail. Happy to see you.

#34 Chris on 12.30.18 at 9:06 pm

Thank you, Garth. Such wonderful stories. Happy New Year to you and your family.

#35 Ustabe on 12.30.18 at 9:07 pm

Sell fentanyl to our kids and buy our houses,hmm, I’m not going to like you.

Can anyone explain to me what one has to do with the other? Or with dogs? Or with the genuine, heartfelt sentiments being shared today?

Maybe the poster belongs over at r/metacanada instead?

#36 For those about to flop... on 12.30.18 at 9:23 pm

Today in my practice run being a middle class American, I ate Fried Chicken and went to a NFL game.

Seems doable.

I refused the Bud Light…

“Think You’re Middle Class? Check This Chart to Find Out

Are you in the middle class?

You probably think you are, according to new research from the Pew Research Center, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re right. It turns out household size is a major determiner of status in the lower, middle and upper classes.

We plotted family size against the income range required to be in the lower, middle and upper classes, letting you easily see how much money people need to make to be at opposite ends of the income spectrum. And in fact, the size of your family is directly correlated with how much you need to earn to stay afloat.

Things are relatively simple for single working adults with no children. Anyone earning under $34,400 is considered in the lower income range, and anyone making over $103,200 is in the upper class. In reality, much of this depends on where you live and how much debt you’re paying off. Does the college grad who makes six figures but lives in a big city with $100,000 of student loan debt feel like he or she is in the upper class? What about the single adult making $90,000 in West Virginia, where the cost of living is cheap? Doesn’t that qualify as an “upper income”? It all depends on the cost of living for where you live in particular.

Regardless, our visualization demonstrates that adding more people to your household increases the amount you need to earn to enjoy the same standard of living. Having a child or getting married raises the bar to middle class entry to $43,693. For a household of 3 people, it goes higher to $50,697. And for two breadwinners and a pair of kids, the level goes even further up to $60,499. In other words, having a second child means you need to earn about $10,000 more just to stay at the same level, much less climb higher.

The same thing happens at the opposite end of the income spectrum. The gap between middle- and upper-income households grows the more people join a household. A single adult at the low end of the upper-income range making $103,200 would need to make $131,078 as a household of 2 people to stay at the same level. The amount jumps another $21,000 to $152,092 for households of 3, and an eye-popping $181,496 for a family of 4. That means it’s harder for well-off people to provide the same standard of living the more children they have, because, well, it’s so expensive.

All of which goes to show the dangers of “keeping up with the Joneses.” If you’re in the upper-income range and you and your spouse decide to have a second child, you don’t have to go out and earn another $29,000 just to stay in the same income range. It’s perfectly fine to slip into the middle class.”

Visualization

#37 Rural Rick on 12.30.18 at 9:46 pm

Hey thanks for posting DJs pic. Miss that dude. He was awesome. This has made me realize I should partner up with a new woof. Happy New Year to all.

#38 Ustable...re post 29 on 12.30.18 at 9:58 pm

What are you babbling about?

#39 Russ on 12.30.18 at 10:21 pm

The Truth on 12.30.18 at 8:49 pm

Just wondering, I understand this love of dogs or even cats, but what about all these other precious animals on this earth? Pigs, Cows, Chickens, why is it that someone will call them self an animal lover, perhaps even n owner of a puppy or cat, yet eat bacon, steak, or chicken … would reduce greenhouse gases too.

================================

Truth be told.

My favourite pizza is a vegetarian, with pepperoni.

Being omnivorous is also living as the most versatile of all species. Just stick with the four main food groups, like the Eskimos: plant, nuts, fruit and jerky.

We also like cats.

What’s your favourite recipe?

#40 SoggyShorts on 12.30.18 at 10:52 pm

#7 I’m stupid on 12.30.18 at 4:47 pm
#6 soggy shorts

******************
You’d need a portfolio far larger than 1m or returns much better than 6% to be in a marginal 40% tax bracket, but yeah I did forget the tax deductability of fees.

You’re right about time spent though, at least to start.
The thing is, if you can manage returns similar to those from your advisor, and it only takes you 2 hours a week, then you are paying yourself $100 per hour to do it. (50w*2x$100=10K or 1%)

Don’t get me wrong, I was very close to going with GT, almost pulled the trigger twice, but in the end I decided to go solo and see how I do. I have a slightly better benchmark since my old advisor charged 1.5% and $20 per trade, so that’s easier to beat than a flat 1%.

#41 reynolds531 on 12.30.18 at 11:25 pm

My long departed Petite Bassett Griffon Vendeen (PBGV) had the good sense that I lacked. He bit the ex-wife.

Damn dog was smarter than me.

#42 Dave on 12.30.18 at 11:58 pm

Yesterdays blog post was a commercial for your finance guy and the post today was this nonsense… I actually think this blog has jumped the shark

#43 dosouth on 12.31.18 at 12:59 am

Well done you.

All ways the best in the upcoming year. We have had 6 dogs in our lives over 27 years (two still sharing our foibles and laughs).

You cannot keep a good dog down.

#44 WPGWALDO on 12.31.18 at 1:02 am

Well, you can find my buddy Webster “Webby” on youtube. search “dog says no to bath” he has over 10,000 views. Next to my human wife (she’s gonna love that) Webster is easily my best friend. He lives with my daughter mostly but we have joint custody and he visits when I babysit my Grand babies (often)

#45 David Paquette on 12.31.18 at 1:16 am

I was fond of my last cat. She would wait for me to get home – she could hear me coming in my sowing machine (57 hp Honda). She always sought me out and would stand by me.

I know cats are different from dogs. She became blind in her last years and probably died in my arms but she was always there. I think she could hear me although she was getting deaf but could smell me. I had to be careful not to run her over with the lawnmower. I would pick her up and pet her. She drooled on me which I didn’t like. Then I would put her on the blanket in front of the gas fireplace. She wanted that.

#46 Karlhungus on 12.31.18 at 1:24 am

Geez really ? Dogs are the worst as this post proves. They get put on a pedestal far too high. They stink, they smell, they drool. People follow them around and pick up their crap. And people pay for the privalege of all this. Take the money that you spend on pet’s and put it in a balanced portfolio and look how rich you would be.

#47 Rexx Rock on 12.31.18 at 1:25 am

The only way to raise a family is for the woman to be a single mother and have the father move in after she’s set up by welfare.She can have a big family and all she has to tell welfare it was a one night stand every time.This is what Canada has become.I know its not right but at least the taxpayer will pay for it.

#48 Newbie on 12.31.18 at 1:58 am

What a wonderful world! Happy New Year!

#49 NoName on 12.31.18 at 3:39 am

@ flop

I worked today, whats funny thing i also had fried chicken for lunch today, mine came from sobeys but unfortunately no beer…

#50 mitzerboyakaQueencitykidd on 12.31.18 at 7:22 am

The main thing my canine companions have taught me
is if they don’t like you i probably wont like you either.
Love is Love
hate is hate
they taught me that too.

Happy 2019 everybody

#51 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.18 at 7:52 am

@#31 The Truth
“And before you label me, NO, I have not always been vegan”
+++++

Perhaps “Lisa Simpson” would be a more apt nom de plume?

“Ham , Bacon and sausage…..all from one magical animal.”

#52 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.18 at 8:00 am

@#42 Dave
“I actually think this blog has jumped the shark….”
++++

Your “portfolio” is lacking some “Empathy” (EMP.Y on the TSX). Perhaps you should acquire some.

#53 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.18 at 8:05 am

@#47 Rex fetch the Rock
“…..and have the father move in after she’s set up by welfare….”
++++

And I thought the Full Moon was last week….silly me.

#54 Ontario's Left Coast on 12.31.18 at 9:10 am

Shout out to Garth and all the Dawgs from me and my incredible Havanese, Scout. I haven’t commented much lately but still read the blog every day. Happy New Year to all!

#55 Penny Henny on 12.31.18 at 9:29 am

#86 Tony on 12.31.18 at 1:58 am
Hey Garth , first post ever , would a young couple with 150k total investment dollars qualify for your services ? Been reading for 3 years now daily and appreciate all advice you give!
//////////////

Tony you need a new name.
We already have a ‘Tony’ and he is a bit off.

/////////////////

Gartho will you be doing the ‘El Predicto’ for 2019?

#56 KLNR on 12.31.18 at 10:06 am

@#42 Dave on 12.30.18 at 11:58 pm
_____________________

LOL, nobody is forcing you to come here.

#57 KLNR on 12.31.18 at 10:08 am

@#46 Karlhungus on 12.31.18 at 1:24 am
___________________________________

dude, sounds like you might be in desperate need of a dog. Makes your life richer where it actually matters.

#58 Best Investment on 12.31.18 at 10:34 am

Its New Years Eve, and for the party goers don’t drink or do weed and drive the car home. The cops will be out stopping cars day and night looking for a good bust record competing with each other. The best investment you can possibly make during the next 24 hours is with a taxi going and coming after celebrating too much. In fact, under the right circumstances you could lose just about everything if busted with a DUI.

#59 Roial1 on 12.31.18 at 11:21 am

They say, timeing is everything. Well this post sure is.
My girl Sophie passed away last night. I did not get to say goodby.
My sister emailed the bad news today.
We are on winter holidays out of the country.
Going to be a sad home coming .

Thinking of you. – Garth

#60 This dog will melt your heart on 12.31.18 at 11:46 am

Garth, check out the sweetness of this dog:

I’m not into dogs myself, but this will melt your heart.

#61 Canadian Moose on 12.31.18 at 11:58 am

A thoughtful piece to remind us that we as humans have so much to learn about “mans best friend” And the animal kingdom in general. Lost our pup to old age in January of 2018. The corridors of the house are quiet, empty and sometimes I still see the footprints from Sadie on our floor. Not sure if I can go thru it again with another dog.

Thank you Garth for your humorous well-advised content thru all the ups and downs of 2018. I look forward to 2019.

Cheers to learn how to be balanced for the long haul and sadness for the trolls/idots of humanity who grace this blog from time to time.

Happy New Year and all the best in 2019

Thoughts from the Hinterland

#62 yvrmc on 12.31.18 at 12:11 pm

#42 Dave…. Did you get your dink caught in your zipper ?? WTF !!

#63 Ogopogo on 12.31.18 at 1:06 pm

Thank you, Garth, for another year full of sage advice, witty repartees, and gadfly insolence on the backside of Canada’s (the world’s?) most corrupt industry.

May 2019 bring joy and prosperity to you and all blog dawgs. Happy New Year!

#64 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.18 at 1:20 pm

I cant wait to go to the first Debate.

It looks like everyone BUT the Greens are running in Burnaby South this election…… Praise the Lord…….

#65 TurnerNation on 12.31.18 at 2:52 pm

Alright DOGS, BSDs get ready for a rip-your-face off rally in early January.
EMs will lead.

#66 acdel on 12.31.18 at 8:02 pm

That second pic of the black lab reminds me and I miss so much the wonderful spirit she had. Anybody that has had a pet or has one knows what kind of life altering effects they can have. They have saved so many lives out there, through their expertise or just emotional support. Gods gift to us.

Beautiful posting today!