Don’t make it weird

On Monday the White House announced a trade deal with Mexico. “NAFTA is dead,” said Donald Trump. Within hours Canada’s trade minister was abruptly rerouted from Europe to Washington, as the T2 gang scrambled to resurrect a deal.

Where’s this going?

No idea. But the markets aren’t deterred. Stocks gained. The dollar advanced. Commodities  plumped. Investors like trade deals better than trade wars. Trump has gone from looking like a nutcase wild-eyed outlier to a negotiator who actually achieved something. So news of the deal raised hopes corporations will have clear rules to follow, instead crawling through chaos. Outcomes are more certain. Money can be made. Up go the markets.

The expectation is a deal with Canada will now follow, which explains the market reaction here. Any agreement’s better than none. Add this to the 3% inflation rate now raging, fatter GDP growth and job creation and runaway corporate profits, and it’s a slam dunk interest rates will rise. If not next month, then October 24th and perhaps again December 5th.  The direction of Canadian stocks is probably up. Houses, down.

$   $   $

My meeting with him was brief, but John McCain had the handshake of a grizzly and the piercing gaze of an eagle. Those were a few minutes I won’t regret. His passing understandingly moved America in the last few hours. Tributes were everywhere. Even on the floor of the NYSE. But not at the White House, where the flag was hoisted back to full staff after the briefest of salutes.

The pettiness of the American president is always on display, and keeps the fires burning among those who want him gone. With the Mueller inquiry in full swing there is chatter of impeachment, and fear of a political meltdown has kept a lot of people from investing in American markets.

But that’s a bad position to take, say the economists at Scotiabank.

First, history shows that while presidents getting punted is huge news for the mainstream media and political parties, investors don’t much care. Look at how the overthrow of Nixon and Clinton’s impeachment were non-events:

Beyond that, the bank agrees with a point made here last week – even if Trump was forced from office prematurely the basic reasons markets have roared would not disappear with him. At the top of that last is the deep tax cut corporations have enjoyed, followed by a lessening of regulations that increased costs and stifled profits. “It is a reasonable assumption that such policies would likely remain intact at least over the medium term. Beyond 2020 may be a bigger question mark, but stocks don’t typically take such a long horizon view and they may consider lower odds of less market-friendly policies,” adds the bank.

In fact, there’s even a hint that a Trump departure might end up being the impetus for even bigger market gains: “One angle on this is that markets have already seen the ‘good’ side of Trump’s policies through tax cuts/reforms and some deregulation and if Vice President Pence takes over then these measures would be durable for as long as markets are capable of looking forward. It may even be that markets are more concerned about the ‘bad’ side of the Trump administration’s policies and particularly its protectionist approach and some foreign policies.”

The truth is those people afraid of exposure to US markets have paid a heavy price. This is going to continue. Trump in or Trump out. The stage is set for higher growth, inflation, earnings and rates.

But still no excuse to dis a hero.

$   $   $

If you live in Richmond, you might want to leave. Or at least build a really big berm. The sea is coming.

If the global climate heats up by just one more degree, which is apparently a slam-dunk, ocean levels will rise enough to put 250,000 people living in the Vancouver suburb under water forever, rendering more than $100 billion in real estate worthless. That’s because they all live in homes constructed one meter or less above current sea level, and the world is relentlessly hotting up. This is the latest from US-based climate change lefties and scientists that politicians really, really, really want to ignore.

Apparently there’s not enough money around to save Richmond. Just imagine when that news gets out.

$   $   $

“Here’s a question that I don’t believe I’ve ever seen addressed on your blog, and is likely of interest to your female readers, so I’m hoping you can advise,” writes Andriana.

My online pension buyback estimator tells me that if I decide to retire at 65 (I’m 35, so in 30 years) the annual difference in my pension with and without buyback will be $1,440 annually. The cost to buyback the one year of contributory service is $10,490, so upon retirement I will have recouped the cost in about 7 years ($10,490/$1,440=7.28). But this doesn’t factor in the lost opportunity cost had I simply invested the $10,490 myself. In 30 years, $10,490 would be $43,178 assuming a 5% annual ROI. So $43,178/$1,440 = 30 years, which means I’ll be 95 years old by the time I recoup the cost?!?! This can’t be right, did I mess up the math? Or perhaps I am not accounting for other obvious factors (e.g. the $1,440 annual difference grows with inflation over time?)

But the results can be even more dramatic if you use the average historic return of 7% for a balanced, diversified portfolio, which would put the three-decade total at more than $85,000, of which $75,000 would be growth. And if you used a TFSA to shelter the investment the advantage over the pension plan is stunning. That $1,440 per year from the plan guys would be 100% taxable in your hands. The $85,000 would be tax-free, and could actually generate $5,950 in taxless income annually.

I guess somebody has to pay for the fund manager’s Porsche.

About the picture: “Long time devoted worshiper of your pathetic blog Tim here. This photo was taken recently in Ucluelet BC where they get Mallards and Malamutes confused apparently. Please keep churning it out for us and I’d be honoured if this photo adorned one of your noble efforts to enlighten the deplorables.”

#1 DR. Bob on 08.27.18 at 5:32 pm

Seems all fund managers are driving Porsche’s these days…….

#2 dakkie on 08.27.18 at 5:37 pm

RANT: Euphoria in Real Estate and Stocks

#3 April B. on 08.27.18 at 5:45 pm

Great! Will OW and ODSP recipients stop leeching my tax dollars and finally GET A JOB?

Pfftttttt!

Why are OW and ODSP recipients so lazy? A job is a job is a job. Work ennobles the human spirit. You have to stop your drug addictions I guess.

Thank you Premier Doug Ford for cutting funding to safe injection sites in Toronto. They were causing concern to my clients who feared their property values would decrease. Drug addicts should bear the heat of their decisions. They shouldn’t use MY tax dollars to overdose in taxpayer-funded sites.

#4 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.27.18 at 5:51 pm

@#3 April B
“BAN all drug addicts from OHIP and social assistance and I guarantee that the deficit in Ontario will decrease by 50%!”
+++++

…and I thought my level of empathy for my fellow man was maladjusted…..

#5 Catalyst on 08.27.18 at 5:53 pm

Fake news on the Mexico ‘deal’. There was no deal signed it was only an agreement to continue NAFTA talks. The president as in NK meeting is misleading people. Now they have put an arbitrary deadline to complete by Friday. It’s a mess and investors aren’t prepared for it in my opinion.

#6 Dave on 08.27.18 at 5:53 pm

Dont worry about Richmond, we have 7 Fire Stations that can handle any situation.

Seriously, Richmond has been here for thousands of years, somehow I dont think it will just disappear???

#7 Jungle on 08.27.18 at 6:00 pm

Yup. Like 1990 again for the US stock market. Shot the lights out of everything. Those who missed out, lost a huge opportunity.

Kinda like, housing???

#8 S.Bby on 08.27.18 at 6:04 pm

Richmond BC is under threat not only from rising sea levels but also from Fraser River flooding and soil liquefaction when the “big one” hits. They are spending $300 million to enhance their dyke system but they will ultimately fail. I would not live in Richmond.

#9 Penny Henny on 08.27.18 at 6:07 pm

#159 Gravy Train on 08.27.18 at 5:28 pm
#130 Stan Brooks on 08.27.18 at 11:33 am
“… And for you and all proud home owners with giant mortgages I recommend Vaseline as lubricant….”

#146 Penny Henny on 08.27.18 at 1:54 pm
“Well finally! Stan is limiting his comments to things he knows about.”

#152 Stan Brooks on 08.27.18 at 3:47 pm
“Exactly, I am very good at diagnosing idiots and prescribing the appropriate remedy to reduce their pain. Ignore my prescriptions at your own risk.”

Stan, I think you missed what Penny Henny was getting at! :)
///////////////

Heck I’ll make a wager that Stan doesn’t even need to bite his lower lip anymore.

#10 DaleFromCalgary on 08.27.18 at 6:07 pm

Before anyone panics about rising sea levels in North America, do a Google Scholar search on glacial isostatic rebound. North America is lifting up faster than any sea level rise. That is why none of the flooding predictions made over the past three decades have come true.

#11 Mike on 08.27.18 at 6:13 pm

Billionaire Dan Pena on why Climate Change is a scam:

Climate change is a discernible fact. The reasons for it seem to be disputed by the knuckle-draggers. – Garth

#12 tccontrarian on 08.27.18 at 6:16 pm

#6 Dave on 08.27.18 at 5:53 pm

———–

I wouldn’t worry either! I hear that T2 has borrowed an idea from El Presidente south of us: just build a wall!
Still, I made sure I found a place to live that’s on hill – just in case.

TCC

#13 Home Slice on 08.27.18 at 6:18 pm

On that note; cue the deplorables with their climate change fake news rants coming forth now

This is said to be the second worst fire season on record, which still is not over mind you

The worst on record… last year

#14 More 'miserable' Toronto, Vancouver residents mull leaving cities: Study on 08.27.18 at 6:19 pm

The miserable appear to have had enough. In Vancouver, 81 per cent of the miserable said they were “seriously thinking of leaving” the city because of the cost of home ownership. About three-quarters of Toronto’s “miserable” population were considering taking flight out of Canada’s biggest city.

Slam dunk. Standard of living in BC and GTA due to costs is third world. Keep telling yourself you live in the best place on earth while looking up at the foreign owned condo towers when standing on E.Hastings. Keep your blinders on for the ground level stuff going on and pray.

You might someday win the Lotto 649. There is hope.

#15 Canada=Poor cousin of U.S on 08.27.18 at 6:23 pm

Canada is very rigid. Trump is 100% right about not opening the poultry sector for U.S. Also in U.S you can import up to $800 worth of goods with no tax at all. In Canada the limit is $20. That is STINGY and PATHETIC.

#16 Canada=Poor cousin of U.S on 08.27.18 at 6:25 pm

Also to add, that yes, we all know Canada is like a mouse when compared to a GIANT U.S (Elephant) but then again they should show some flexibility too according to its ‘SIZE’.

#17 akashic record on 08.27.18 at 6:26 pm

Sounds like you are taking a page out of Art Cashin’s Pence put.

Interesting comment over there…

#18 renter in Surrey on 08.27.18 at 6:27 pm

—————————————————————————————-

So RE in Surrey, Langely, etc. will go up $100 billion?
Those 250K people has to move somewhere.

#19 Lost...but not leased on 08.27.18 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Garth…

In a world full of darkness and dismay, this latest post should ramp up the “happy feet” endorphins on par to compete with River Dance.

BTW..maybe GOOGLE or YOUTUBE John McCain
…….looks like his passing was odds- defying timely in lieu of serious pending criminal charges (even beyond the crimes of his earlier years in the Navy).

#20 Shawn Allen on 08.27.18 at 6:34 pm

Buying Back Pension Time

“You are absolutely correct. It’s a bum deal. Many big brother pension plans make these buy-back offers to their members who, lemming-like, accept the numbers. They should not. It’s a bad deal, as you have proven.”

******************************
Hmmm if that is the case is being in a DB plan usually a bad deal?

I would say the answer to the question whether to buyback optional pension time is – it depends – but usually the answer is yes do it.

DB plans are strange animals where the pension can be somewhat unrelated to the amount paid in and the length of time invested or the return the plan achieved.

For example, the final year of service in a say 30 year DB pension plan usually adds up to 2% to the pension. Exactly the same as the contribution from year one. That is not actuarially sound or fair. The contribution from year 1, albeit probably at a lower salary has had 30 years to grow. Mathematically buying back a year late in your career is almost certain to be a benefit because those funds would have fewer years to grow in your own hands.

Many government DB plans feature weird magic number rules whereby the normal reduction for taking the pension before age 65 is forgiven if the age and years and service add to some magic number like 85. This is a complete gift. If an optional buy back can get you into or further into the benefit of the magic number then it is a no brainer to do it.

Most DB pensions pay out based on the final 5 years salary. So you win big time if you start out in the mail room paying in a t paltry wages and retire as an executive. The staff that stay around the same level through their careers subsidize the pensions of the rising stars.

And, why not think balance. Maximise the pension AND The TFSA. It’s not either or.

It is not correct to say that all optional DB pension time should not be bought back.

I bought back about a year midway through a 26 year DB pension job and I will guarantee it was a mathematically sound investment. Without that year I would have had one less year in the plan AND faced an extra 3% lopped off ALLl of my pension based on magic number rules.

#21 Dykes on 08.27.18 at 6:37 pm

So what? Most of Holland is below sea level.

It just means you have to build some dykes, that’s it.

#22 James on 08.27.18 at 6:41 pm

In Andriana’s above pension question I noticed that not having to work to gain a year of service credit wasn’t factored in. It may later on have the effect of receiving pension for a year you would otherwise have to work.

#23 zelda Canuck on 08.27.18 at 6:42 pm

#3 April B.

you seem nice

#24 Figmund Sreud on 08.27.18 at 6:42 pm

#25 Camille on 08.27.18 at 6:54 pm

#26 Paternity Leave on 08.27.18 at 6:54 pm

So what happens to fathers who take paternity leave in the work force?

Do they get laid off upon return???

#27 kommykim on 08.27.18 at 6:55 pm

RE: #10 DaleFromCalgary on 08.27.18 at 6:07 pm

==================================

I did. The vertical crustal movement on the BC coast is close to 0mm per year whereas sea level rise is at 3.2mm per year. In the interior of BC, you have a vertical crustal movement rate of 6mm per year, but that’s not where the problem would be anyway.

#28 Sam on 08.27.18 at 7:02 pm

If Richmond sinks then the quality of life in Vancouver will improve because we won’t have Richmond and all that “comes with it”

#29 Jungle on 08.27.18 at 7:04 pm

Is Canada sending the right person to negotiate nafta? I feel worried.

Calling Jerry Das now..

#30 Ronaldo on 08.27.18 at 7:04 pm

#21 Dykes on 08.27.18 at 6:37 pm
So what? Most of Holland is below sea level.

It just means you have to build some dykes, that’s it.
—————————————————————–
Actually, there is a simpler solution. You build your house on floats so that when the water rises your house rises with it. Now everyone has waterfront property. You can fish off your front deck. You replace your car with a boat. You don’t need to construct a swimming pool. Life is good. Problem solved. No dykes required.

#31 marius on 08.27.18 at 7:05 pm

Latest sea level rise projections are up to 2 meters by 2100. The city of White Rock is already buying homes it knows it will not be able to protect. This is much bigger than most people want to understand.

#32 Nik on 08.27.18 at 7:06 pm

love today’s blog pic ….too funny :)!!

#33 ShawnG in TO on 08.27.18 at 7:07 pm

> #1 DR. Bob on 08.27.18 at 5:32 pm
> Seems all fund managers are driving Porsche’s these days…….

and youtubers are driving lambos
and bloggers are driving kias

#34 SN on 08.27.18 at 7:08 pm

April.B you are one heartless fool. I am on ODSP. Got 2 kids and a wife. I cannot work. I have a blood problem that they do not know what the cause is. Leading pathologist in Canada working on it. I don’t smoke and I have had 6 beers all year.

I hope nothing happens to you but I didn’t think this would happen to me either. Be careful.

#35 Shawn Allen on 08.27.18 at 7:09 pm

Buying Back Optional Pension Time

“I have a defined benefits pension, and am going on maternity leave soon. We are given the option of buying back our contributory service while on maternity leave, but I am struggling to figure out whether this is worth it.”

*******************************************

Warren Buffett warns: “Never ask the barber if you need a haircut”.

#36 Canada=Poor cousin of U.S on 08.27.18 at 7:14 pm

Canada should accept Trump demands. You cannot win from the POWERFUL and RICH United States. Be smart otherwise you will turn into a third world country very soon.

#37 tkid on 08.27.18 at 7:23 pm

Donald Trump is a Narcissist. Narcissists typically have Golden Children – those who can do no wrong – and Scapegoats – those who can do no right.

Narcissists also typically love a big mess. Chaos = happy. Scapegoat miserable = happy. And Canada is definitely the scapegoat, along with China.

There will be six more years of this, along with whatever happens when you ignore trillions of dollars worth of a deficit in order to pump up an economy, and demolish relations with your allies.

#38 renter in Surrey on 08.27.18 at 7:23 pm

Most Metro Vancouverites believe home prices won’t drop

#39 WelcometoSlurrey on 08.27.18 at 7:28 pm

Everyone is happy to leverage and earn the paper gains here in Slurrey, no one is worried about a correction or crash except the people on this blog. People are taking out huge mortgages without blinking or fear and they are earning average salaries ……..renting out the unit is paying the mortgage and they are not doing the math on what they are losing on their principal investment …… they are happy to pay the additional expenses ( proper tax , insurance and whatever shortfalls on the mortgage) ->>>> because all they have seen are gains in real estate, who cares about putting in a few thousand a year into your ” investment property”, the property will rise and it will cover more than enough is the mentality …………. so far they have not been wrong, when are we going to see normal again ?

#40 Reality is stark on 08.27.18 at 7:33 pm

McCain was tortured and held his ground and he stood by John Kerry another war hero unfairly vilified by Dubya. Those were the people of yesterday.
For an example of the character of today’s generation we have the Canadian woman calling off her wedding because guests refused to pony up $1500 a piece to fund her dream day.
The west deserves to lose ground versus the east.
We raise idiots here, not just financially illiterate idiots.

#41 akashic record on 08.27.18 at 7:38 pm

In some countries statues can’t be erected in public spaces for a living person. This wisdom comes from the lessons of bad experiences.

It takes time to pass when everything and everybody finds the real place for all things done while here.

I don’t know well enough John. I probably know more about being a soldier and war. I can’t judge whether John was hero or not. In case of soldiers such judgement calls are exponentially more risky than for people who never used weapon against other beings.
Maybe a task cut out for the Creator.

What I know more certainly, is that as a soldier in war, on my death bed I would not spend time on worrying about attendance list at my funeral. It would mean that I have not learned in my life a crucial lesson: unconditional forgiveness.

For the sake of John’s soul, as one human being to an other, I hope he did learn unconditional forgiveness, which would include forgiving those who still think that building a hero legacy for John is the most important thing for John and the world.

#42 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.27.18 at 7:47 pm

@#28 Sam

All of you are missing the point.

If the Tsunami doesnt cover Richmond in 20 ft of muck and debris then the Fraser river “dam” bursting a few days after “the BIG one” will…….

Either way.
100’s of thousands of acres of land to be developed.
Jungle was right!
It is better to own than rent in Burnaby at the 500 ft above sea level.

#43 Smoking Man on 08.27.18 at 7:48 pm

So T2 tried to back stab Trump trying to use Mexico to gang up on Trump.

Probably
Getting advise from the likes of EU and Soros Globalists.

Trump cuts out T2, does a deal with Mexico …

Now T2 has no Leverage.

A drama teacher vs a billionaire developer.
Was anyone expecting a different outcome?

As far as Muller nailing Trump…hahaha.

Who ever thinks that watches way too much MSM..

#44 Deplorable Dude on 08.27.18 at 7:49 pm

Impeached for what exactly?

Dems have tried to impeach every Republican Pres for the last 60 years…

#45 Danny on 08.27.18 at 7:50 pm

So the take away is rent, live far away from water and keep a balanced portfolio cus housing prices and markets will crash and your house will end up under the sea in a year?

This blog has gone to a whole other pathetic level don’t u think?

Don’t blame me for climate change. – Garth

#46 Danny on 08.27.18 at 7:54 pm

Toronto Real Estate Board and Cartel started today with their soon to be…..poor us excuses…….we can’t figure out how to make our secrets transparent.

And we will be away at the golf course until Christmas…sorry…no access to our database…”is there a deadline Mr. Judge? “…waiting to hear from their buddy Ford.

Thought presidential impeachment was a good idea…but one of America’s biggest white collar criminal Trump family will get pardoned and like the economic downturn in the USA just behind us…very few will go to jail….so much for justice for the rich dudes.

Better if Trump waits to run in 2020….and then maybe if he losses, he won’t get pardoned and the jail doors can open as they should.

I am grateful that John McCain can be remembered as one who did not seek help from the Russian Mafia and was committed to the American Constitution first and had the dignity to speak out against the Nation Divider that Trump is!

McCain definitely made America great again by his service to the people and not to the almighty dollar only. When the election was over against Obama…John rolled up his sleeves and shook the hands of Democrats to heal the nation of the wounds that elections often cause.

Trump will never understand that because he is basically a very selfish pitiful being….worshiping the dollar and not humanity.

#47 BS on 08.27.18 at 7:57 pm

John McCain was the petty one. He voted against repealing Obama care after voting to repeal it previously (when it didn’t count due to Obama’s veto) and promising to repeal it during his election campaign. He betrayed his voters.

All because Trump didn’t give him his customary suck up and call him a “war hero”.

I am like Trump. I like people who don’t get caught. I like people who keep their election promises. The US senate will be stronger without him.

What have you done with your life? – Garth

#48 BS on 08.27.18 at 8:01 pm

“The expectation is a deal with Canada will now follow, which explains the market reaction here. Any agreement’s better than none.”

Lets hope it gets done, but if Mr Dress Up tries to play tough guy again maybe not. Trump has all the leverage. There will be no deal without Canada giving concessions.

#49 Harrison Snowdon on 08.27.18 at 8:01 pm

Does this pension plan example hold true for someone buying back time with the Teachers Pension Plan which matches the contribution? This is the example they provide:
“If you’re like a typical teacher, making up for a year’s gap in your pension typically costs around $10,000. Paying for that leave now could increase your pension by about $1,880 each year. Most of our retired members collect a pension for around 30 years, so paying for that leave today could mean you’ll get as much as $56,000 more throughout your retirement”

#50 SoggyShorts on 08.27.18 at 8:04 pm

#157 Mattl on 08.27.18 at 5:03 pm
#94 SoggyShorts on 08.27.18 at 2:15 am
#66 maka on 08.26.18 at 8:56 pm

You know you can leverage investments other than real estate, right?

Where you RE pumpers fail is in forgetting that it’s all local. Not only did buyers fail in 2017, they also failed every single year for the past decade in both Calgary and Edmonton. I’m sure there are other places that are flat for 10 years too. Not everyone lives in the LM or GTA.

A balanced portfolio is global though.

#51 Trumpocalypse2018 on 08.27.18 at 8:06 pm

Tornadoes on the way to Innisfil, Barrie and other 905 areas as we speak. This will help push RE into a deeper spiral, and it’s just the beginning of hurricane season in real terms, one that will affect Canada badly.

PREPARE.

#52 MF on 08.27.18 at 8:09 pm

Wow just saw my comment about travelling triggered some decent discussion. Awesome.

#150 AGuyInVancouver on 08.27.18 at 3:01 pm

“So many little canadians here, with no higher aspirations than sitting on the sofa watching Hockey Night in Canada with Mabel. Sad.”

-My comment was that travel is overrated, and that some people find it more appealing than others. Who said anything about aspirations? Who said anything about Canadians habits concerning traveling abroad? You are the type of traveler I was alluding to: some arrogant delusional prick who thinks a list of places traveled in his life is equivalent to an Olympic medal or military badge he can wear on his shoulder. We are glad you had a great time, but no one else cares.

#145 The Real Mark on 08.27.18 at 1:31 pm

“For instance, I’ve been saving my allowance all summer for a trip to Wonderland which I’m going on this week with several friends. Talk about experiencing the world, it should be a phenomenal time.”

-Lol. Well played. Well played indeed.

#137 TheDood on 08.27.18 at 12:07 pm

-No sarcasm. Just that some are homebodies and have other hobbies other than travel. Different strokes different folks.

“#125 INSTAGLAM on 08.27.18 at 10:50 am”

“You two sound like you’ve never traveled and are rationalizing your existence of servicing a particle board box in a frozen land by putting down others. Had kids young did we?”

-It’s 30 degrees here in Toronto. Definitely not frozen by any means. And I’ve traveled, just think it’s overrated…and ever more so in the world of Instagram and Facebook.

MF

#53 SoggyShorts on 08.27.18 at 8:14 pm

#95 MF on 08.27.18 at 7:10 am

> For us younger people, it’s clear those who like to
> travel do it for Facebook and Instagram photos and
> like to believe it makes them into something special…
> when in fact no one cares.

*********

**************************************
So strange to hear youngish people who have no interest in travel. The world is an incredible place, and not seeing more of it is a real shame.
As for selfies, maybe I’m too old at 38, but of the ~20 pictures we took in the last 7 countries we visited, I don’t think I’m in any of them, and I don’t use FB or instagram.

I guess finishing the basement might be fun…. I’m sure in your old age you’ll look back and think about that sweet sweet drywalling and all of the good times you had with that paint roller.

I’m not suggesting people should take 10 years off after highschool to go backpacking, but I’ve never met anyone who regretted taking one.

#54 BS on 08.27.18 at 8:15 pm

“With the Mueller inquiry in full swing there is chatter of impeachment”

There will be no impeachment.

1. No crime was committed. The campaign finance thing is not a crime (John Edwards). A guilty plea by Cohen for a non crime (to get a lesser sentence for other real tax fraud crimes) is meaningless.

2. But the key is to be impeached the crime has to be committed after the president is sworn in. A president cannot be impeached for a crime committed prior to becoming president.

3. To be impeached you need 2/3 of the senate which will still be controlled by the Republicans after the mid terms. No way you get 15 or so republicans to impeach Trump especially with most of the never Trumpers being out after the mid terms (McCain, Flake, Corker, Ryan).

Sorry snowflakes. Ain’t going to happen.

#55 Long-Time Lurker on 08.27.18 at 8:15 pm

>Some good reporting by Flop on his site:

City and Colour (of money).

City and Colour (of money)…

I wrote a post a while back stating the the city and the province could not be much further apart in what approach they want to take towards the housing market.

Take a quick look at this article.

The city wants to mass rezone basically the whole city to be eligible to knock down houses and build duplexes.

#56 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.27.18 at 8:15 pm

Senator McCain.

A man who refused to leave the Hotel Hilton when the Vietnamese realized his father was a senior military commander in the US.
He chose to stay until ALL the US prisoners were released….and for that, the Vietnamese tortured him ceaselessly.
And then we have “Cadet Bone Spurs” who couldnt serve in Vietnam due to his aforementioned affliction.

President “Bonespurs” vs the Real Deal Senator
And he couldnt leave the White House flag at half mast for the man’s wake until pilloried to relent on his petty vindictiveness.

Trump , a nasty , petty little man.
A shill, a huckster a flim flam man with the honesty of a down on his luck snake oil salesman.
Impeachment ?
Pffffft.
When he’s finally out of office…….
His name should be stricken from the records.

#57 Mean Gene on 08.27.18 at 8:16 pm

10 yesrs ago I bought back 1.5 years for 10k, at the time I lacked the knowledge I have today thanks to this blog.

The only saving graces for buying back is getting out the door earlier and the buyback was tax deductable.

My DB plan did allow the buyback payments to be made monthly over a long period of time with micky mouse interest, I did a lump sum payment.

Rock on Garth.

#58 Fun By the Sea on 08.27.18 at 8:17 pm

Climate change is certainly real and has been going on for as long as the Earth has been spinning. A one degree temperature change is pretty common on the long term record. Sea level has been rising, a tiny bit, since the last cold period (Maunder Minimum 1645-1715). There is nothing at all we humans can do or not do to prevent or alter climate change. I would stop worrying and look at slightly higher dikes.

JT and his dreadful External Affairs Minister have completely blown the trade file. He had better hope Trump is feeling benevolent. (Pro-tip Justin, don’t insult people whose good will you need for domestic political reasons. Even if Butz tells you to – just say no.)

Trump is going nowhere. The Dems may win the House but there is a snowball’s chance in Hell they will get a majority in the Senate – and to actually impeach they need a 2/3s vote. Trump’s deal with Mexico is just another example of his winning by not doing politics as usual. Drives the lefties nuts.

Garth, you are a God on defined benefit pensions, not so much on Trump, trade or climate change.

#59 MF on 08.27.18 at 8:19 pm

crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.27.18 at 8:26 am

“If yer gonna travel.
Do it young, for a few years….
Then get your ass back to the cold cruel real world.
Or after your retire …… and the basement is finished.”

-Yeah I agree with this. Long time travelers always seem nomadic and poor. Lack of stability will do that.

Did they have fun? Most likely. But eventually they all pay the piper in some form or another.

#123 232 on 08.27.18 at 10:43 am

“Travelling keeps the wife happy, and helps her relax from the stress accumulated by being an emergency RN”

-This was my point. Some people love traveling, but others may find enjoyment in other hobbies. You and your wife do it for yourselves, and that to me is awesome. I just don’t like how some frequent travelers believe it “enriches” them in some form. That I disagree with.

“#106 BlorgDorg on 08.27.18 at 8:56 am

“No that’s just you younger people. The rest of us travel to experience the world and live a full life. But well-spoken as someone who’s never travelled. At least you got the last part right — nobody cares.”

-Case in point of a delusional arrogant traveler who also believes he deserves a medal or should have the wing of a hospital named after him for exploring the new world.

1) No one cares about your travels….except you.
2) Your travel habit does not make you special in any way
3) Traveling does not equate to living a full life. Far from it.
4) I’ve traveled many times. Who said I don’t travel? That was your incorrect assumption.
5) My point was other people have other habits

MF

#60 Long-Time Lurker on 08.27.18 at 8:20 pm

So the future of Richmond is Waterworld? Don’t watch it. It killed Costner’s career. I read that Mexico City when the conquistadors arrived was a floating city on a lake which later got drained.

#61 Muttley O'Toole on 08.27.18 at 8:24 pm

Fact: Climate change is with us each & every day.
Climate warming is another matter; if so,certainly not attributable to CO2. Instead there is a fair chance we are slowly heading towards a mini ice age. That big yellow blob in the sky has a lot to do with what’s going on.
As for Trump, my observation is that the people who attend his rallies (and they are big) are gun owners and the majority of their sons & daughters in the military vote Trump.So, a civil war would be highly possible against highly improbable.

#62 Linda on 08.27.18 at 8:26 pm

If Mexico has managed to negotiate a deal with the USA they can live with Canada should be able to do the same. And no reason why Canada can’t cut a separate deal with Mexico to maintain whatever trade we have there as well.

Regarding Pence replacing Trump, keep in mind the pundits said Pence was chosen because he made Trump look good in comparison. Now maybe that is just political mud being thrown, but if there is truth in that mud it should give one pause for thought, considering how Trump has been acting thus far. Pence makes Trump look good in comparison….Ai yi yi!

Richmond does have options. Build a sea wall, place housing on stilts, switch to houseboat style foundations so when the water does rise the housing can just float on top. Meanwhile, don’t buy in Richmond unless you want to deal with rising water.

DB buyback is mainly of use if you want to retire sooner rather than later. Otherwise as stated it is far better financially to put the money into either a TFSA, RRSP or invest it in a balanced portfolio. Also consider whether you will be working for that same employer upon retirement. For the generations following the Boomer’s, working for the same employer for 25, 30, 35 or more years is much less likely & is in fact seen as a career negative.

#63 april on 08.27.18 at 8:29 pm

Did anyone hear on CBC radio news this morning, Aug 27, that some “Vancouver and Toronto homeowners want prices to go down 30%.”

And 51% want prices to rise or stay where they are. – Garth

#64 The Real Mark on 08.27.18 at 8:35 pm

The climate doesn’t change in my basement apartment

Deflation is right around the corner

#65 Smoking Man on 08.27.18 at 8:36 pm

Apparently climate scientist don’t surf.

Was out catching a few waves at huntington beach yesterday.
Shooting the breeze with some old timers. They’ve been surfing these waters for 30 years. I asked them point blank. How was the surfing before sea levels rose.

Water has been the same for 4 years. They said.. See the truth is easy if you ask the right people.

If a climate scientist went surfing and raised the issue at the govt funded water cooler. Well the dude would get lots of hang time..

You want the truth. Ask people from costal waters.

#66 Heartless conservative drunk on 08.27.18 at 8:39 pm

SN on 08.27.18 at 7:08 pm

______________________________________

Why should my tax dollars go to help you? I would rather drunk $1 beers like the heartless conservative drunk that I am. I am heartless and selfish and that means I am a conservative. I only care about myself cause I am doing great. I dont think about what happens if I am in your shoes. I am short sighted and lets face a it a clueless drunk who votes Drug Ford and drinks $1 beers. That’s what is important to conservatives ….$1 beers cause I am ignorant . Vote conservative everyone!

#67 Barb on 08.27.18 at 8:40 pm

Trump’s shadow doesn’t deserve to land on the same planet as Senator McCain.

Everyone should be outraged at the WH treatment of the man.

#68 Bobby on 08.27.18 at 8:44 pm

John McCain was a true leader from a different generation. He was a fighter pilot, a fraternity of a few. That sums it up.

#69 Yuus bin Haad on 08.27.18 at 8:51 pm

For most people in Richmond, Plan “B” is to move to Lunenburg.

#70 Doug t on 08.27.18 at 8:59 pm

#71 Mattl on 08.27.18 at 9:07 pm

You guys realize you can own a home, finish a basement and travel right? For most people the barrier to cool month long vacation is work, not home ownership or basement renos. I don’t know anyone in peak earning years with the time to travel the world.

#72 common sense on 08.27.18 at 9:09 pm

What is this thing you call a pension?

#73 Gravy Train on 08.27.18 at 9:18 pm

#61 Muttley O’Toole on 08.27.18 at 8:24 pm
“Fact: Climate change is with us each & every day. Climate warming is another matter; if so, certainly not attributable to CO2. Instead there is a fair chance we are slowly heading towards a mini ice age. That big yellow blob [sic] in the sky has a lot to do with what’s going on.”

Don’t confuse weather with climate change. Meteorology is not climatology.

Oh—and how can you pontificate on subjects you know nothing about? Do some research, at least.

Gosh, here I am trying to educate a ‘deplorable’—an impossible task, by definition. What was I thinking? :)

#74 Bob Dog on 08.27.18 at 9:20 pm

I love reading the unhinged rants of climate change deniers. They sound very much like holocaust deniers, moon landing deniers, flat earthers and anti-vaxers. They are usually uneducated alcoholic chain smokers. I can’t imagin the level of arrogance required to place your opinion above the advice of PhD climatologists who have spent decades studying math, statistics, geomorphology, climatology and geology.

Years ago cfc13 was destroying the ozone but that crisis was avoided. Thankfully we had no Twitter or Facebook back then.

Trump is one of these dullards but at least he has skin in the game. I am thankful that he has many offspring and will not live to see the misery he has inflicted upon his own grandchildren.

To quote Issac Asimov

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’

#75 Tony on 08.27.18 at 9:26 pm

Once trump is gone or impeached you’re looking at minimum a seventy percent fall in all the major U.S. stock indexes. The russell 2000 could lose over ninety percent. Fair market value is some eighty percent lower not taking the future into consideration which of course would mean more than a eighty percent drop.

Is there climate change on your planet, too? – Garth

#76 Fish on 08.27.18 at 9:26 pm

Cue the comeback’: The reawakening of many Canadian housing markets
Michael Babad
MICHAEL BABAD
PUBLISHED AUGUST 27, 2018
UPDATED 11 HOURS AGO

#77 ImGonnaBeSick on 08.27.18 at 9:36 pm

#59 MF – oof… You are easily triggered… Guess what? Travelling is great and Toronto sucks (except I love the hockey team … For some reason)… I look forward to your hissy fit.

#78 Doug t on 08.27.18 at 9:43 pm

Oh interesting – Garth are you against open dialogue that may show the truth? McCain and his colleagues have been responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of innocents around the world including Syria, Afghanistan, Libya- yes he was tortured as a prisoner of war BUT what he contributed to in the years after and until he died are nothing short of war crimes and financial personal gain – some people want to just ignore the truth and believe every piece of mainstream media BS they are fed because it is easy – truths are sometimes hard to swallow but are seriously needed especially in our current times

RATM

#79 Ustabe on 08.27.18 at 9:53 pm

Wading into the comment section is like going to the zoo and spending too much time in front of the monkey exhibit. Way to many folks flinging their own special brand of poo.

Like #28 up there, that’s not a dog whistle, its a a dog siren. Crap like that gets called out in my neighbourhood.

As for the Trump cheerleaders…two things.

1) How can you root for a man who is deliberately attempting to jeopardize your country? What kind of citizen are you?

2) My bet is on obstruction of justice and I’ll put money on it if any of you Trump boot lickers have any. Maybe Garth can hold the funds.

#80 KLNR on 08.27.18 at 10:02 pm

Are you folk actually arguing about the merits of travelling/not travelling? Why does everything need to be black or white on here lol?

#81 Wrk.dover on 08.27.18 at 10:02 pm

One little molecule goes along way creating havoc with balance reflecting UV rays. Ask a PHD physicist why man made climate change is a fact.

Don’t ask a typical T rump lovin, Ford Nashun GED level deplorable for personal opinion, or harbour your own.

Certain people here gripe about the smell of one joint being smoked two condos over, once, imagine if the thousands of litres of gasoline that go up in smoke in the immediate vicinity on the thoroughfare outside said same condo daily had the same intensity of odour as dope does.

Would one part per billion of carbon dioxide then matter a little more to your synopsis of the enormity of this situation? One hundred million barrels of oil/day every day, no days off.

Can’t smell the Gardiner Expressway at all? Must be no problem there at all. Yah think?

A week after 9-11, with 4,000 less flights going over SW Nova, and 42,000 fewer flights belching up wind, the air smelled like the year 1959, all over again. It was delicious! it really was, and then it wasn’t again…

#82 Interstellar Old Yeller on 08.27.18 at 10:02 pm

Good question, Andriana! No obligatory suck up and Garth still didn’t make fun of you. :)

I appreciate the reminder to run the numbers on DB pensions. I just assumed the employer-matching would make participation a slam dunk but perhaps not in every case.

#83 WUL on 08.27.18 at 10:03 pm

Summer, we hardly knew ye (Cowtown).

A week ago Friday and Saturday, I could not open my eyes. Pain from the smoke imported from BC. Notley should ban that like the importation of BC wines. And too much screen time (here).

Tonight? A frost warning for the folks in the Bible Belt in southern AB. Cardston et al.

Brighter days lie ahead.

Or maybe not. Big decision comes down Thursday morning from the Federal Court of Appeal on Trans Mountain Expansion Pipeline owned by Kinderfolk Trudeau & Morneau Pipelines Inc. which were consolidated. From soup to nuts or rather Aboriginal to Zebra Mussels. Good fun from the judicial system.

WUL

#84 SoggyShorts on 08.27.18 at 10:10 pm

#71 Mattl on 08.27.18 at 9:07 pm

***************************
You are right that time off work is often the big limiter. For example someone could do an all inclusive to mexico for a week, or travel like a king through Laos> Cambodia>Vietnam for a month for the same cost.

I can’t speak to how difficult it is to “do it all” since I don’t have kids, but being in your prime earning years and travelling extensively is possible.

It obviously just depends on your gig. You either need to do contract work where you make your own schedule, or work at a company with many employees that doesn’t care if you take off since they can cover your workload. Working in a seasonal industry helps too.
My personal magic mix is both contract work and seasonal, so winters are pretty much free time. Sure I’d be better off financially if I got a temp job for when the snow flies, but I’d rather go play someplace warm.

Prime earning and prime travel years are often the same ones, since health and energy are a pretty big part of them.
——————
Even if you can’t get a month off work every year, it seems to me that those who rent have more free time than owners.
“Hey what are you doing this weekend?”
“Replacing the deck”
or
“Going camping while my landlord replaces the deck”

Even little chores like shovelling snow add up.
Am I using this saved time well? Probably not, but even posting responses on a RE blog is more fun to me than mowing the lawn.

M38AB

#85 Paul on 08.27.18 at 10:12 pm

67 Barb on 08.27.18 at 8:40 pm
Trump’s shadow doesn’t deserve to land on the same planet as Senator McCain.

Everyone should be outraged at the WH treatment of the man.
————————————————————————————————
Sounds like you knew him well, sorry for you loss. Lol

#86 Smoking Man on 08.27.18 at 10:13 pm

Trumps IQ

#87 Cubicle life on 08.27.18 at 10:26 pm

A day in the life of MF at the Toronto tourist board realizing he’ll never buy a house….

#88 NoName on 08.27.18 at 10:29 pm

Now that free trade deal and meksiko was mention few times…

—–
@Linda

“why Canada can’t cut a separate deal with Mexico to maintain whatever trade we have there as well.”

because of this

#89 Steve French on 08.27.18 at 10:34 pm

Love that all the snowflake deplorables, especially SM, get so completely unhinged and triggered by just those 2 words …. “climate change”…

“…..But but but this stoned surfer in northern California said that he has been surfing for the last 4 years and has not noticed any change in sea level!!!!”

Good lord.

In other news:

Oil refinery in Delaware jeopardized by sea level rise…. pleads for government bail out…

#90 Arctic Gringo: Qalunaaq on 08.27.18 at 10:47 pm

The latest news from the CRA:

A total of 12 CRA staffers will have to grow real man-beards this year. Don’t send staff from the Toronto office. They always leave at christmas and don’t come back. And no claiming Northern Residence Deductions for 2018 (6 month minimum residency required).

I do hope, for me and others, more technical publications regarded permissible northern travel deduction scenarios (aka. a northern spin). I hate having to call the Pacific or Atlantic offices clarifying whether Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, or St. Johns is the nearest designated city, for the vacation I took to Rankin Inlet.

#91 Alberta Ed on 08.27.18 at 10:54 pm

If I lived in Richmond, or anywhere on the west coast from northern California to northern Vancouver Island, I’d worry more about the Cascadia Subduction Zone breaking loose — a.k.a. The Big One, than sea level rise. Land along the Fraser River delta is especially vulnerable to liquefaction in a major seismic event.

#92 Canada=Poor cousin of U.S on 08.27.18 at 10:55 pm

told you so.

#93 jane24 on 08.27.18 at 10:56 pm

Don’t wait to travel until you retire as many don’t get that far. Once you turn 60 health issues can crop up that limits the ability to get travel insurance too. Plus as an older adult it is just nice to be at home sometimes. I am not bragging but we have trip number five of 2018 coming up, three weeks in Italy and I already look forward to the 4 months at home once we get back.

I have done many things in life and one of them was a funeral director. The biggest regret of the surviving spouse sitting in my office was the things that were planned and never done. No one ever wished they had worked more.

#94 Oft deleted much maligned stock.picker on 08.27.18 at 10:58 pm

OMG….another sidesplitter. The likelihood of a Trump impeachment is statistically zero unless you’re glued to either CBC or the equally zany and manical MSNBC…..where it’s a job requirement to keep your hair on fire for the length of an entire segment……truly fake news…..so fake that even the other fake news outlets like Bill Maher recently admitted, point to them as…..” a bit over the top’. It’s Trump Derangement Syndrome’ on the level of a movie like ‘The Strain’. But as you’ve said…..if you’d listened to the Obama resistance and stayed out of the markets in a protest vote, you lost big time.

Richmond……. The nut jobs like Al Gore who already melted the Himalayas, killed off polar bears, and submerged half the planet with Greenland sliding into the Mediterranean should be put on a bus and driven around town until they all fall asleep.

Having actually sat in on the planning and development committee for Richmond I know the dyking system intimately and assure everyone that the dykes is currently ten meters higher than the forecast of a deluge. Like Holland….and the UK….we’re quite ready for a tsunami….never mind a slow melt.

If you want a life lesson on climate change go back to the Millesian Period seven million years ago when the Mediterranean was flooded and both Caspian and Black Seas we’re formed…..that was a flood! The salty brine that formed the Dead Sea still lingers. But pre Cambrian ice melts are a thing of the past……the windmill sellers and green carpet baggers are just going to have to cool thier jets…… Under Trump there’ll be no more fat subsidies or freebies…..now they have to work for a living.

Trump has given Trudeau-Butts till Friday to pull up their diapers…..bwahahahaha…..what a sad state of affairs Ottawa is in. Obama promised to ride to the rescue and tell the world about bully Trump beating up Canada….but the Resistance in the US has retreated and Butts is back on his devious closet. Where are the old guard Liberals who should be defending Canada now that the Trudeau regime has collapsed. There won’t be a school named Ralph or Stephan if this keeps up.

#95 Canada=Poor cousin of U.S on 08.27.18 at 10:59 pm

Canada has no choice. It the U.S way or NO way!!

#96 Capt. Serious on 08.27.18 at 11:04 pm

The hand wringing about Canada not in on the Mex-USA deal is fake news. The negotiation teams continue to negotiate trilaterally. Trump needed to grandstand to divert attention from John McCain. He is just that petty.

#97 Marcus on 08.27.18 at 11:20 pm

How many ways can Garth be wrong in one post? Trump closed a great deal with Mexico and Canada just got played again. “It looks like the U.S. and Mexico went far beyond bilateral issues and agreed to a pile of trilateral stuff without Canada.” He also noted that while it was unclear whether any of the negotiated terms were okay with Canada, “it puts enormous pressure on Ottawa to agree or hold up the deal.”

Furthermore, Morrow points out that unless Canada already agreed to these trilateral issues — sunset compromise, IP etc. — via its back-channel with Mexico, “the U.S. and Mexico have just massively cranked up the pressure.”

In other words, Mexico just stabbed Canada in the back in order to get a deal with the US on preferential terms to Canada, just as Trump desired, and in vivid demonstration of applied game theory in practice.

Adding pressure on Canada, Morrow quoted Videgaray who said that Mexico’s deal with the U.S. is a “comprehensive” agreement, and warned that if Canada doesn’t reach a deal this week, it will be much harder for Ottawa to negotiate any changes to what’s already been agreed. Also, we have entered into a new Grand Solar Minimum as of 2 years ago. Fall will come sooner and spring will arrive later. Winters will be colder. This will progressively get worse leading up to 2030. This will make it challenging for Northern Climate Countries to get their crops planted and harvested on time and those crops will have lower protein content due to poor growing conditions. Buy that oceanfront people ……. your beach is about to get a little bit bigger.

#98 Ponzius Pilatus on 08.27.18 at 11:48 pm

#6 Dave on 08.27.18 at 5:53 pm

—————–
Lulu island has been here for millions of years.
During that time there were thousands floods and earthquakes.
Current day Richmond was created by Japanese fishers about 100 years ago.
Get some perspective.

#99 Steve French on 08.27.18 at 11:56 pm

Time to get strapped in folks:

“New economic modelling shows a US$23 trillion loss in global GDP, with the economies of many countries collapsing, if we allow global temperatures to rise by 4 degrees by 2100”

#100 Frito on 08.28.18 at 12:00 am

Liquefaction will likely get Richmond before global warming but that’s been known for decades and hasn’t decreased the ridiculous real estate market in that municipality or any others in the danger zone.

#101 Fishman on 08.28.18 at 12:05 am

I think it goes Dems win the house. Impeach the Trumpster because a porn star named Stormy was paid to keep her mouth shut (I know that’s an oxymoron]. Mainly that the Trumpster got her to spank his bare bottom with a rolled up copy of Time magazine that had a picture of yours truly on the cover.
But I could go there. Not Time magazine. Thats a little out of my league. But my boat’s on a cover of a Western Mariner.

#102 Smoking Man on 08.28.18 at 12:27 am

The modern woman..

Un happy , she has not figured out how to con her man. Make him feal that he’s special. They buy big dogs after university.. All they had to do is find and control nature.

Teachers are evil..

#103 Kaganovich on 08.28.18 at 12:38 am

I love it when Garth mentions global warming and ensuing climate change, all the stunned astroturfers flood in to explain to the readers how the entire raft of IPCC scientists don’t understand solar input variability and their beloved manner minimums lol

#104 Kootenay Hippie on 08.28.18 at 12:59 am

Where I’m from, fund managers drive Volkswagen Type 2’s.

#105 to_be_frank on 08.28.18 at 1:36 am

#106 Dolce Vita on 08.28.18 at 1:45 am

“If the global climate heats up by just one more degree, which is apparently a slam-dunk.” Thus, Richmond will be consumed by the sea.

Very, very occasionally Turner, you make me want to scream at the screen. Today, was one of those days.

Start with this chart where the “Climate Models” either over estimate or underestimate, significantly, what will happen (from “Carbon Brief”, full of tree hugger, save the trees, bees, snails, whales scientists – yet honest about the science and its predictive score card):

You would think as the years wear on they would get better at it. Think again or better yet, think less.

They do not know. But they say, believe me…and hysteria results from the weak minded.

We made it thru the Medieval Warm Period (c. 950 to c. 1250) where the English had a thriving & high quality wine industry much to the consternation of the French back then.

We made it thru the Little Ice Age (c. 1300 and 1870) where they had Winter Frost Fairs on a frozen Thames River (queue Pieter Bruegel the Elder paintings), crop failures, plague and a whole lot of insurrection during the period. And THIS HAPPENED TURNING ON A DIME AFTER the Medieval Warm Period.

And the POLAR BEARS, well they made it thru the Holocene Climatic Optimum (9,000 to 5,000 years ago) WITHOUT OUR HELP and with Arctic temperature increases of up to 4°C near the North Pole (in one study, winter warming of 3 to 9°C and summer of 2 to 6°C in northern central Siberia). Insult to accident & at the same time, N. Europe warmed, S. Europe cooled. Today, we are NOWHERE NEAR those temperatures. Thus, stop tranquilizing and then air lifting the poor things in nets strung from helicopters to Lord knows where. CRETINS.

Ya, Richmond’s going into the water ’cause some zit faced kid playing with a mathematical model that could screw up a piss up in a brewery (an evidently has), says so.

Oh, I almost forgot, it’s also going into the water ’cause some financial investment company guy says so too (i.e., non sequitur of non sequitur’s: “I am good at investing money, thus, I must be correct about climate change too, yet, I offer no evidence for my assertion.”).

“All I know is just what I read in the papers, and that’s an alibi for my ignorance.”

Sub Specie Aeternitatis, instead.

#107 Evangeline on 08.28.18 at 2:25 am

#67 “Everyone should be outraged at the WH treatment of the man.”

The Democrats weeping over McCain now loathed him during the McCain vs Obama campaign, during the Bush Iraq war years, and for his ditty “Bomb bomb bomb Iran”.

President Trump issued a respectful message to the McCain family about the senator’s death. There is a rule book that states when the flag is to be lowered; for the death of Congress members: the day of their death and the day after. That was done.

What more do you think Trump should have done, in view of:

1. Trump said during his campaign that he did not think McCain was a war hero just because he was a POW.

2. McCain chased down a Russian “dossier” about Trump that has been debunked by both sides, even Mueller, as fraudulent.

3. McCain requested that Trump not attend his funeral.

#108 Evangeline on 08.28.18 at 2:46 am

#43 Smoking Man

“Sooner T2 realizes the George Soros vision of the world is over, the better off all Canadians will be.”

With regard to a new trade deal, if Canada agrees to the new rules of origin as Mexico has, that will result in an increase, maybe even a surge, in Canadian employment and industry. IMO

#109 Howard on 08.28.18 at 5:50 am

#93 jane24 on 08.27.18 at 10:56 pm

—————————————-

This is such a boomer comment I don’t even know where to begin. Always ascribing the unique circumstances of their generation to everyone else. Clueless.

How is a poignant reminder to always make the highest use of time ‘clueless’? – Garth

#110 Karl on 08.28.18 at 6:42 am

#80 KLNR on 08.27.18 at 10:02 pm

————

It may have something to do with Garth preaching balance. For example, if one person thinks Trump is the savior of western civilization, there is another person on here who believes he is the devil incarnate.

Balance.

#111 Gravy Train on 08.28.18 at 6:42 am

#106 Dolce Vita on 08.28.18 at 1:45 am
“… Turner, you make me want to scream at the screen.”

So why do you read his blog? Do you like getting your knickers in a twist? Aren’t you living the good life in Italy? :)

#112 NoName on 08.28.18 at 6:53 am

Interesting quote from 1965 by Martim Luther King

”What good does it do to be able to eat at a lunch counter if you can’t buy a hamburger?”

#113 Oft deleted much maligned stock.picker on 08.28.18 at 6:58 am

Commodities plumped? As in “Waiting for Godot”?

Killer beauty bet……got balls? I’m not in yet…..too many balls in the air…lol.

#114 Popo on 08.28.18 at 7:07 am

In regards to the buying back the db pension, another thing to keep in mind is the income tax return from the contribution. That would be in theory around 3 thousand bucks. Invest that, retire a year earlier, and keep your full pension. It’s worth it, contrary to what this pathetic blog suggests.

Math is hard, isn’t it? – Garth

#115 KLNR on 08.28.18 at 7:59 am

@#93 jane24 on 08.27.18 at 10:56 pm
Don’t wait to travel until you retire
as many don’t get that far.
No one ever wished they had worked more.
__________________

Truer words have never been spoken on here Jane.

#116 Honest Realtor on 08.28.18 at 8:08 am

Howard said –

#93 jane24 on 08.27.18 at 10:56 pm

—————————————-

******************************************

Sorry Garth, Howard is right.

The idea that your “time” is your best asset, to be enjoyed doing stuff like tourist travelling, is wrong and very out of date.

See this article about just how destructive and counter productive tourism is.

“It exerts intolerable pressure on cities: Housing shortages are worsened, inadequate transit systems are overwhelmed, as is the public realm — from cultural landmarks to streets, sidewalks, parks and squares. Little wonder residents feel like strangers in their own hometown.

Last year, Amsterdam introduced regulations designed to stop new tourist-oriented stores from opening in the city’s historic centre. In Paris, the Mona Lisa smiles wanly through a veil of flash bulbs. Poor, beautiful Venice is drowning in tourists at the same moment it’s sinking into the sea.

The paradox of tourism, of course, is that it destroys the very reasons it exists.”

Just a dose of reality here…..

I continue to tell my clients that the only way to truly enjoy your time is to own property, preferably a home, a rental property and a cottage. Once you have those things, you realize what an illusion it is to think that you.

Compare the deep and calming happiness of home owners to renters who travel to pretend they have control of their lives.

No contest.

#117 Fish on 08.28.18 at 8:26 am

Duck, do you hunt, for house now, and wear your camo top with a orange square

house prices are dropping, compare let’s late 2015,

but which city, with all the city slickers?

I would say not, best to wait and see

#118 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.28.18 at 8:30 am

@#94 Jane24
“I am not bragging but……”
++++

And here I thought that was the main reason for all your posts.
Silly me.

#119 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.28.18 at 8:41 am

@#106 Dolce Vita

I think those +40c days in the Italian Alps you were bragging about have addled the old brain Dolce.
Or too much vino?
Time to relax in Jolly old Blighty at Jane24’s vacant flat.
She’s in Italy this time of year …renovating the villa.

#120 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.28.18 at 8:58 am

@#106 Frank Magazine
“Trudeau’s insistence that a new trilateral trade deal includes a chapter on gender equity looks like a long shot now.”
++++++

That article is 10 months old.
The politically correct “gender equality” clauses in the NAFTA talks will be quietly shelved.
Irrelevant drivel designed to make the Liberals a few brownie points with a tiny part of the voting populace.
Ditch it. Move on.
Freeland is scurrying around trying to get any American negotiator to actually grant her an audience all while bleating out generalities for the Canadian news media ( since the US media dont care) about how, “we’re moving forward”.
Total crap. She’s been pointedly shoved aside, ignored, snubbed.
The US under Trump.
Dont want to “deal”? OK we’ll talk to Mexico. They want to deal.

I wanna see how Trudeau spins this trade debacle in the year leading up to an election.
Trump ( and his advisors)seems focussed on our Dairy subsidies and our auto sector.
Big vote grabbers in Quebec and Ontario.
Not good for a Liberal majority if either goes down the NAFTA sewage pipe.

All while our economy teeters on an housing meltdown……as if US trade negotiators arent watching THAT sideshow.
Squeeling canadian back bacon has a nice ring to it.

#121 Renter's Revenge! on 08.28.18 at 9:01 am

#18 renter in Surrey on 08.27.18 at 6:27 pm
—————————————————————————————-
So RE in Surrey, Langely, etc. will go up $100 billion?
Those 250K people has to move somewhere.

===================================

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Every time there’s a natural disaster somewhere, all the surviving houses in the area jump in value (rents too). Supply and demand, right?

#122 Q2 Class 2-B-C-2 Duplex Drive on 08.28.18 at 9:07 am

Canada is, as you say, pooched. The evil Trump wants T2 to do away with supply management, or tariffs go on Canadian-made autos. So T2 has a choice between SW Ontario or QC, whose premier has already started squawking about the poor QC dairy farmers. Which will resurrect the tiresome separation issue. I think the choice is clear.

The worst part is that T2 will blame all this on Trump, and ride to a majority win in 2019 on an anti-US platform. Canadian voters can be SO stupid.

#123 dharma bum on 08.28.18 at 9:24 am

♬Richmond is sinking man, and I don’t wanna swim! ♬

Maybe they should move to Richmond Hill, another soulless, vacuous, suburban wasteland.

#124 Smoking Man on 08.28.18 at 9:44 am

#89 Steve French on 08.27.18 at 10:34 pm

Good lord.

In other news:

……
Climate Change…

Those two words are code for.. I’m confiscating every last cent you have. Anyone with an IQ as high as mine realizes this..

By the way. I think I typed 40 years. Not sure how the zero got dropped. I’m thinking Garth is a mistfuos goof. Or my key board is being remotely controlled by the machine..

Sea levels same now as forty years ago. Go to the beach and see for your self….

#125 David Hawke on 08.28.18 at 10:30 am

“Any agreement’s better than none.”

What a typical Con wimp out!

Accepting the Bully’s getting rid of supply management terms would mean the end of the Canadian family farm giving the corporate farms reliance on Monsanto/Bayer GMO modified crops/cattle free reign to poison the land/consumers with impunity.

Hopefully, Justin has the gumption to stick to his guns telling the demented fool to go pound sand! Hey if tiny El Salvador can do so sticking up for its farmers against Monsanto with threats of US AIDE being cut off and win, surely Canada can follow suit!

The comment above was an encapsulation of market sentiment. Unlike you, it is rational and apolitical. – Garth

#126 Smoking Man on 08.28.18 at 11:00 am

More bad news for real estate.. Get out while you can. T2 and the commies want every last cent.

#127 David Paquette on 08.28.18 at 11:22 am

I am here again with my 1 cent. If the Don does not offer a reasonable trade deal for Canada, I say we walk. It is our own fault but my Spartacus spirit rises. It is a good thing I am nowhere near being in command for most canucks as I do not fear a “fair” fight. This trade war is getting personal for me and has nothing to do with the American people. As much as I hate a cold ass, I will endure to get.

#128 Braj on 08.28.18 at 11:29 am

#106 Dolce Vita on 08.28.18 at 1:45 am

Sub Specie Aeternitatis, instead.

***

#129 Alex from Edmonton on 08.28.18 at 11:54 am

That duck poster is a classic

#130 Bdwy sktn on 08.28.18 at 12:08 pm

27 kommykim

You prove why commies are fools and idiots. Prob cant do math either.

Your numbers are exaggregated by a factor of 10. Retard. Stay off this blog please.

#131 Shawn Allen on 08.28.18 at 12:45 pm

Math is hard?

At 114: Math is hard, isn’t it? – Garth

********************************
Math on this blog has always apparently been easy. It always gives whatever answer is wanted.

I believe you have quit in disgust two or three times. Be a man. – Garth

#132 Shawn on 08.28.18 at 1:23 pm

That’s why you should be heavily overweight US equities and underweight international equities and emerging markets. I recommend zero or close to Canadian exposure – no point.

The TSX will go up – but it will lag the S&P500 long term.

#133 Wrk.dover on 08.28.18 at 1:26 pm

Back when newly teen aged Trudeau was presumably through wetting the bed, I was driving down the very twisty turny Skyline Drive, which becomes Blue Ridge Parkway at the Mason Dixon Line. They are on the top of the watershed divide of the Appalachians.

Along the way, there was a little Cracker, wearing a Johnny Reb hat, sleeping in the ditch clutching a road maintenance traffic control stop sign. How he hadn’t heard my V8 headers and cherry bomb mufflers approaching was perplexing so we stopped.

He immediately jumped up still holding the sign and indicated we were to stay put, so I climbed out, passed him a cigarette and we both lit up.

I told him I was glad to have an excuse here for a smoke, as I didn’t smoke in the van as courtesy to my wife.

He told me we were in the Sath now, and wimmins ain’t got no rights here, and if I wanted to smoke, the wife gets out and waits in the ditch until I honk on the horn to let her back in.

He actually wanted to put my wife out of the van to prove his point! I held him at bay with out her knowing what the fuss was about. I didn’t fill her in on the details until more than a hundred miles beyond.

What other agenda can Trudeau have in mind for my sensitivity? If I hadn’t travelled, I wouldn’t have a whole lot of events like this to talk about either.

#134 jess on 08.28.18 at 1:36 pm

Climate change will make hundreds of millions more people nutrient deficient

Crops grown in a high CO2 atmosphere are less nutritious, containing less protein, zinc and iron

New study undercuts favorite climate myth ‘more CO2 is good for plants’

A 16-year study found that we’re at a point where more CO2 won’t keep increasing plant production, but higher temperatures will decrease it

==========

The 127 firms are registered to the same few offices in London where employees claim they never heard of them and some of the companies accounts appear obviously bogus, BuzzFeed said.

Those firms were established by other firms based in offshore heavens and controlled by businesspeople from the Ukraine, Russia and other post-Soviet countries.

All of them bear the name of a dentist from Brussels who told BuzzFeed that he knows nothing about them but that he did sign some papers for some friends while he was living in Latvia.”

#135 Tim (but not the Tim who sent the photo) on 08.28.18 at 1:42 pm

Hey Garth, in this post you note the returns at 5% and then reference the historical 7% return from the balanced diversified portfolio.

When I’m doing the math on my own TFSA, I take that 7% and then subtract 2% for inflation, so I end up assuming a 5% real return.

But it occurs to me to ask–when you say these portfolios have returned 7%, do you mean “7% above inflation” or “7% after accounting for inflation?”

thx

Inflation where? It varies, so returns are always noted without inflation being deducted. It’s worth nothing inflation rises with economic activity, which is also positive for portfolios. – Garth

#136 jess on 08.28.18 at 1:58 pm

The mechanics of laundering have now been pretty obvious for getting on a decade and it’s appalling that it’s still so easy.” ●
======================

The Ghost Companies Connected To Suspected Money Laundering, Corruption, And Paul Manafort

“This adds to the growing evidence that UK companies are being used to aid financial crime on an industrial scale.”
Posted on August 23, 2018, at 2:04 a.m.

#137 Love Guru's Dad on 08.28.18 at 2:25 pm

#65 Smoking Man on 08.27.18 at 8:36 pm
Apparently climate scientist don’t surf.

Was out catching a few waves at huntington beach yesterday.

You want the truth. Ask people from costal waters.
———–
Dad’s been going to the Algarve for 20 years. Recorded water temp and max/min tides at his regular beach. Actually put thermometer in the water. I could never figure it out. Just one of his things. Maybe he foresaw what was to come. Saw him this winter. He said the same as da wise ol’ surfers. What is the truth? I don’t know.

#138 Stan Brooks on 08.28.18 at 2:42 pm

#134 Tim (but not the Tim who sent the photo) on 08.28.18 at 1:42 pm

thx

========================

Except in the 70-es and in the last decade in Canada, where we had and still have typical stagflation:

i.e. significant inflation exceeding by far the nominal ‘growth’ and on top of that that growth was credit driven.

Think about it as economy on steroids resulting in 2-3 times higher economic activity (read consumption) than justified by the status of the economy and consumption.

As we move towards normalization, I expect the economy to shrink to 40-70 % of its current size in real terms/consumption which will be achieved by significant inflation that will not be acknowledged combined with stagnant wages and significantly reduced real consumption.

It sucks, but this is what you normally get after record credit expansion driven boom, an inflationary depression in this case.

Kind of Japan’s experience squared.

#139 Gravy Train on 08.28.18 at 3:32 pm

#123 Smoking Man on 08.28.18 at 9:44 am
“[…] Anyone with an IQ as high as mine realizes this.” Don’t you mean to say ‘an IQ as low as yours’? :)

“[…] I’m thinking Garth is a mistfuos[….]” Smokey, did you mean to write the word mischievous? Or are you writing in the language of the people from your planet, Nictonite? Is the name of your imaginary planet supposed to be an anagram of the word nicotine? (It doesn’t quite work.)

Which reminds me, Smokey: Have you signed up yet as a space cadet for Trump’s Space Force? :)

#140 Stan Brooks on 08.28.18 at 3:42 pm

This is what you get in Canada for ‘not following the rules’ and petty violations:

Guy chocked by transit ‘police’ for allegedly ‘entering transit station without a pass’. And after chocking him they press charges against him.

Now imagine the guy being a minority or stronger than the 2 men assaulting him.

That’s for ‘illegally’ entering transit station.

Remind me, what did Wild Bill get for not declaring his french villa or T2 for not paying taxes on his billionaire island vacation?
skinned alive? No, they got nothing.

#141 Fish on 08.28.18 at 4:50 pm

Screwed!
Too many investors are being poorly served by advisors. Here’s how to avoid becoming the next victim

by Dan Bortolotti
Dec 30, 2015

#142 westcoastguy on 08.28.18 at 6:04 pm

My landlord from years ago was a realtor and had properties all over the place in Vancouver but Richmond was a no-go zone. No basement suites and the earthquake factor I think.

#143 PensionFail on 08.28.18 at 7:18 pm

Garth, you did a terrible job advising the lady about her DB pension. The pension plan gave her an age 65 comparison with and without the buybacak. What you’re likely missing (because she didn’t provide these details…you get out what you put in I guess) are the value of early retirement benefits, inflation protection, and survivor’s pension. Your analysis, frankly, sucked. But I love you anyway.

#144 Oft deleted much maligned stock picker on 08.29.18 at 1:05 pm

Here’s proof that the climate change scam is entirely bogus…..and it’s not the only proof. Why is the lie allowed to continue? It’s all about money….giving yours to someone else.

One fake video doe not prove a scientific thesis bogus. – Garth

#145 Oft deleted much maligned stock picker on 08.30.18 at 8:04 am

143…….G….. you wouldn’t convince Al Gores legion of zombies who based a lifestyle on a movie that was banned in the U.K for lack of any scientific reality. The inconvieniant truth about the scam fest is guys like Gore front running companies receiving subsidies from the Pbama Carpet Baggers in the now discredited EPA. Now those are facts you can bank on.