The bus

She’s confused. Wealthy, happily. But still confused.

“But I thought you once wrote don’t HOARD your money,” she wrote me after reading yesterday’s pathetic blog entry, “…have some fun with it!”

The problem was what I said about boats. Don’t go HELOCing your house to buy one, my post warned. The reasons are simple: (a) the interest on a home equity line used to buy a boy toy is not deductible from taxable income the way funds taken to invest are. And (b) the best two days you’ll ever have with a boat are the one you buy, and the day you sell. Yes, just like horses. Or, especially, an RV.

In fact, that’s exactly what she wanted to talk about. She and her squeeze have apparently lost their minds. “We have just bought a Sprinter RV to be delivered next month for $200,000,” she says. “And I have been wondering how to pay for it.”

Yes, they can afford it. “Our situation: both 65 Recently Retired, No dependents. Just squeaking shy of 2M$ invested. The two of us have a 1M$ pension each, 1 federal indexed, 1 non-indexed.

“Home nowadays worth 1.7M$ (During the heyday a couple of years ago neighbours sold for low 2M$+), but we are NOT planning on selling anytime soon.

“But I am concerned about this RV. Do we just suck that money out of our Non registered accounts?  Your tutorial on Mortgages (mortgage yourself) last week got me thinking…since RVs can be “mortgaged“. Do we do that? (Hubby and our financial advisor both say the headache of this is just not worth it.)”

First, spending two hundred grand (or 10% of your investments) on a bed-on-wheels is a consequential decision. After a decade (if invested properly) that amount of money should grow to $400,000. But after ten years that RV will be worth… not much. The average depreciation on a bloated bus after 12 months is 18% and after just three years is almost 40%. After a decade (depending on the use), you’d be lucky to get ten cents on the dollar. So, the annual cost of ownership (not counting insurance, gas & repairs) is equivalent to more than $35,000. For that you can rent a two-bedder condo in downtown Toronto and do recreational snorkeling on King Street.

So if you’re going to buy, buy used. There are a zillion RVs around that people got tired of in the first year or two.

Another option is to finance the embarrassing asset, or (better) to lease it. Yes, you can mortgage an RV, just like your house. Most dealers will extend a 20-year amortized loan, which means monthly payments are lower but you’ll still be making them at 85. By then you’ll have paid twice the original price, given that RV rates are about double those for residential mortgages.

If you go that route, minimum down payments are typically between 10% and 20% of the purchase price, but it’s also possible to drive one away without any cash. Of course, you will pay dearly for this in the end. So, leasing is better. The monthly will be higher and you need to take good care of the bus, but you can return it and walk away after three years. More than enough time to fall out of love with peeing into a glorified bucket and living with bugs.

The smart thing is to cancel the order and break the RV salesguy’s heart. Why would you own, insure, license and maintain a recreational vehicle for 12 months of the year when you’re unlikely to spend more than one month actually using it? That’s as dumb as having a cottage.

Best choice: rent. For example, a 23-foot Class C, slide-out momma of a monstrosity which sleeps four can be rented for $184 a night – like a tawdry hotel room – or $5,540 for an entire month of driving around aimlessly burning unconscionable amounts of fossil fuel. The same $200,000 you’re considering forking out to buy the beast would generate almost three times that amount in cash flow if left invested. You’d still have the pile of cash, still see your investments grow and still be able to RV like a crazed gypsy or born-again hippie.

Give your head a shake, lady. You didn’t get wealthy doing such silly things. You also forgot to suck-up, by the way.

“Thank you for your blog! Yes, I have been reading you for years and side with Dorothy, ‘how do you spend so much time with whining dogs’?

“You can share us as an example of seniors that for 40 years worked and saved (too much time saved with bank and not INVESTED with a financial advisor as we are now.). Or if you don’t have time to respond that’s fine too…I just like the days you let the dogs advise, occasionally, I learn from them too!”

Well, here goes…

#1 Darryl on 08.08.18 at 4:38 pm

yup

#2 FLHTK on 08.08.18 at 4:42 pm

Give me the 200k, I’ll put it to good use

#3 Stan Brooks on 08.08.18 at 4:43 pm

#135 cultural elitist on 08.08.18 at 12:27 pm

You are an idiot at best. Manipulator at worse.

This is capitalism, if women were cheaper work force than men for the same quality and amount of work per hour there would have been no men hired until all women are employed.

There is no evidence for that, on the contrary.

So go and hide your globalist/elitist behind where it belongs/not in this place.

———————–

If I was in this old geezer’s place I would buy used RV and a wind yacht for 20 k each. And spend the rest on world travel.

I am actually researching to purchase such/at the last the yacht as we speak/out of country.

But even with that purchase they are not that bad off, that RV should be like Lamborghini, really loaded + these guys are set for life with no descendants.

Spend it all, leave nothing behind. This place does not deserve it.

#4 dosouth on 08.08.18 at 4:56 pm

….but then again, you have probably missed the best RVing time of your lives. The money however will pay to keep you alive to help remember all those memories you could have made….just sayin’

#5 islander on 08.08.18 at 5:01 pm

Subprime anyone??
You bet!

Canadalend.com, the Mortgage Refinancing Experts always happy to help…

“Canadalend.com can help circumvent those rules “(OSFI mandated stress test) “and get you the mortgage or other financial product you deserve.
How can Canadalend.com beat what the big banks are offering? Where banks are stuck providing their own financial products and legally need to follow the new OSFI mandated stress test, Canadalend.com has access to hundreds of different private lenders; lenders that do not follow the same rules.”

“ There are about three million active HELOCs across Canada, with an average balance of about $70,000, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada warned last month.”

“A generation ago, you’d get a mortgage and pay it off,” “Now you get a HELOC and treat your home like an ATM.”

#6 Don't go RVing on 08.08.18 at 5:14 pm

Period.
Try renting an RV for a week or two and then share your feedback with Garth. Nice RV resorts charge as much as a decent hotel for the full hook-up. Then you’re still forked in with dozen other “campers” in tight spots and do what exactly? Sit inside the RV with A/C blasting and watching “Days of our Lives” episode 10,598 or the fishing or golf channels.

Sometimes jump on the Golf Cart and join the game playing with people who are staying in the adjacent five star resort. The resort where pools and other areas are off limits to campers. The resort with nicely appointed soundproof rooms where you won’t hear what’s going on in the RV beside you on the camp spot.

I could go on about real life RVing experiences but Garth’s argument with regards to depreciation and lack of usage are solid enough.

Better than RVing for snowbirds are home sharing options down South. Either corporate or private accommodation. Take your picks of thousands of available options and don’t get stuck for weeks or months in an RV park where your neighbor likes to light up a stogie right outside his house on wheels.

#7 Freebird on 08.08.18 at 5:17 pm

“…both 65 Recently Retired, No dependents. Just squeaking shy of 2M$ invested. The two of us have a 1M$ pension each…”

Geri, congrats on being well invested and covered for what life can thow at us when older in terms of health/medical care. Sounds like RV is on it’s way? Id be worried if it’s new to you or even if not you’ll tire of it and or you two get FOMO to see the world (or more of it) while you can (and should) and RV sits or sells at a loss? Not to be a downer but life can knock us on down out of nowhere and take travel off the list. I dont know all the facts but it’s funny how many longtime readers ask questions that go against the GF blog advice. Ive prob done the same ; ) Good luck with retirement.

Be good and if you cant be good be SAFE (or very very good!) LOL

#8 Bobs ur uncle on 08.08.18 at 5:18 pm

#vanlife – pretty much what I aspire to.

If it makes them happy and they can easily afford it, who cares about the opportunity cost? I hope she writes back in a year to tell us whether they still own it or have moved on to something else.

#9 TRUMP on 08.08.18 at 5:18 pm

They should buy an armored vehicle from General Dynamics in London.

I heard a big fire sale is on the way

#10 Dave on 08.08.18 at 5:19 pm

I hear you Garth – why get married when you can rent and save a fortune. I believe Uber is coming out with a new app for that…..Lol

#11 Howard on 08.08.18 at 5:20 pm

And you wonder why so many young people hate the Boomer generation? Exhibit A.

Do the hipsters want RVs? – Garth

#12 Ace Goodheart on 08.08.18 at 5:22 pm

So, floating down King Street last night, I had a thought. What is the safest place to put my money in a world whose climate and weather events are getting rapidly unpredictable?

I have not yet come up with an answer to that one. It seems nature can and will trash even my safest investments.

Buffett – like, I hold a significant amount of money in insurance company debt and equity. Historically, the returns have been predictable and very stable. Insurance is paid by all, used by very few. It’s a sure thing. Until, that is, your planet’s climate blows up and people are like “give up my RV’s to fight climate change? NO WAY!”.

And they buy 200 k sprinters.

Toronto South of Front Street is actually all reclaimed lake bed. So when it rains, it fills up with water. If you happened to be in Union Station last night and you brought your bathing suit, then you know what I mean.

At any rate, a Sprinter is cool. I bought an old VW Westfalia, found a broken diesel motor, rebuilt that and tossed it in the back (The motors are in the rear of those tbings). Spent a year of fun rebuilding the rest of it. Then took it for a spin. I put maybe 3k into this thing including purchase price.

Well, everyone wanted to buy it. I got offers in the lowish five figures the first day I had it out. I was thinking are people nuts? This thing is from the 1980s. It’s as slow as molasses. Still smells like mouse poop (you can never get that out). While it was sitting in a field (like, for a decade) legions of teenagers had their first times in its oh so comfy pop up bed. There are probably little kids out there still going to that field to try to find where their parents told them they were conceived.

This is not a 30k vehicle. It is a slow, badly designed, mouse smelling, former teenage flop house tank. The diesel motor I built for it has no emissions. Just a straight pipe from the turbo into a flow master (diesels do better with free flow exhaust and the turbo muffles it enough anyway).

I designed the belt set up myself. Some of the parts involved are from a toaster. This is “back to the future” type kitchen counter invention sh#t folks. This is not Elon Musk and the next generation.

But despite that, if you weld together a 1980’s westfalia, Bondi up the gaps in your Canadian Tire issue MIG welded nightmare of a body job, paint it in your garage and then find or build a motor that will allow it to drive (very slowly) down the street, you have just created an object that will be coveted and bid on by legions of bored nostalgia breathing retirees.

I subsequently found out that people have built million dollar businesses on this principle.

Oh well. The Westfalia is not for sale. I kinda like it.

#13 AACI Home-Dog on 08.08.18 at 5:23 pm

Jagmeet Singh just said action is needed to be taken on what he called a housing “crisis” in Canada and wealth inequality.
Wealth inequality ?
Yikes !
No wonder I hate the NDP.

#14 Matt Landry on 08.08.18 at 5:23 pm

Can’t believe anyone with cash would buy a 200k motor home new. You can get the same unit in the 80s used. I suspect they plan on financing it on the never never plan…rv and boat dealers have been killing it since the advent of 20 year loans. Can’t come up with 20k cash, no prob let me call you an 80k boat.

Been looking at big lake boats but these loans have inflated prices. The good news is no one has actual cash so the used market is pretty cheap. Crazy to buy new today and compete against guys with 40k net worth on 80k boats

#15 FOUR FINGERS WATSON on 08.08.18 at 5:28 pm

She’s confused. Wealthy, happily. But still confused.
…………………………………..

Turdo is confused. Wealthy, happily. But still confused.

MONTREAL (Reuters) – Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday he would keep pressing Saudi Arabia on its human rights record, even as a dispute with Riyadh over criticism from Ottawa continued to escalate.

#16 espressobob on 08.08.18 at 5:30 pm

Many individuals have a tough time with the investing thingy. Scared shitless of a minor market correction and always trading out of fear. Good way to loose coin, no?

The subject in itself is quite time consuming and requires a lot of study. A few oddballs endure the rigors and are probably masochistic by nature for doing so.

A fee based advisor has the training to deal with the inexperienced novice and even save them from a bad trade from the advice of a friend ( so called ) with a hot tip.

My generation didn’t have this luxury back in the day. We relied on a full service broker charging insane fees for mutual funds and or individual stocks. Mostly Canadian. Worse than a day trader. That era is evaporating thank god.

Global investing is relatively new. Sometimes the right help can prove profitable over time. My two cents worth.

#17 Justin on 08.08.18 at 5:31 pm

I love my boat! I saved up for it and took advantage of divorce to get an awesome pleasure craft with a new engine for $9k. I’ve had it for five years and will probably get another five before I sell it for $7k. It is all about finding the sweet spot on the financial depreciation curve. Buying an RV or boat new is about as smart as buying a new car or a Zune.

#18 Howard on 08.08.18 at 5:39 pm

#155 devore on 08.08.18 at 3:32 pm
#107 Renter in Burlington

Women do NOT have political equity and they still make at least 20% less than men. Ask any woman and she’ll tell you.

I wonder why no genius has started a company full of women workers (because it’s ok to discriminate against men), pay them 20% less for the same work, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Oh yeah, that’s because there’s no wage gap. Quit spreading nonsense.

——————————————————

In the UK about 10 years ago, someone had just that idea, to have an all-female workplace.

How did it work out? Read on. Make sure you’re in a place where you can laugh out loud.

Catfights over handbags and tears in the toilets. With her women-only TV company this producer thought she’d kissed goodbye to conflict…

#19 jess on 08.08.18 at 5:43 pm

RV’s

reminds of an article regarding seniors / foreclosed houses but had the RV !…used it to travel around as amazon’s flexible work force

#20 Stan Brooks on 08.08.18 at 5:43 pm

Χαιρετίσματα

#21 Boots on The Ground in Ptown on 08.08.18 at 5:45 pm

#12 Ace

Doggone it Ace you’re still one of my faves. Thx for the laugh of the day!

If you’re ever in Portland , see ya on the road – always love getting and giving the nod here from fellow VWers. (8 yrs of VW love, no Westy yet, but Eurovans) My friends say we’re crazy. I say, what other 25 year old vehicle can you drive into the ground for 7 yrs and sell honestly on c list w/all faults listed,( including a shot tranny, which cost 6k in these things) for almost 50% of what you paid for it. And considering my phone flooded with 15+ ppl in the first 2 days, i could have probably even gotten more for it, but knowing the truth about how scarce parts are that wasnt my intent but rather hoped to pass the dream on to a young kid, who did turn out to be the buyer. Not bad for an initial outlay of $3600 and 7 yrs of driving. Upgraded to a loaded 03 :) Now, about that pesky sunroof we’ve since discovered that leaks…the joys of VW! ;)

Have bed will park and “camp” anywhere. Forget the RV parks!

Its great you truly just stumbled upon the cult following that VWs have lol

#22 Ed on 08.08.18 at 5:47 pm

Buy the rv…you can afford it…I paid 250k USD for mine …we love it so much we sold our house…wife prefers the rv.
We used the 550k from the house to buy a sailboat…took it to Mexico 2 years ago…sailed it to Polynesia this Spring.
Life is to short to spend it in a drywall/osb shack. Get out there…soon you’ll be dead…cant take 200k with you.

#23 cultural elitist on 08.08.18 at 5:49 pm

@#3 – Stan Brooks

There is no need to abuse others on this platform, generously provided by our host. Please criticize ideas, not people.

All I did was point out what StatsCan says about wage inequality by gender in Canada. If you have other data, please share it.

I agree that in a perfectly fair labour market, the cheaper labour would be employed first. Therefore, logically, there must be other (historical, cultural) reasons for pay inequality.

We can disagree about what those reasons are how to fix it, or if it even needs fixing.

I also note that women earning 87% of men’s wages (in the same occupations) is a vast improvement in equality over past decades. It may well be that the wages are balancing because of the capitalist pressures you point out.

#24 Guy in Calgary on 08.08.18 at 5:50 pm

I think renting something like this first makes sense. Go on a couple trips and see if you like it before committing.

I see people with RV’s here that look like rolling condos. What’s the point? The best camping trips are spent meandering the rockies on foot and pitching a tent (hehe). If you’re retired and old, RV can make sense but they just seem like such a pain in the ass… like boats.

#25 jess on 08.08.18 at 5:51 pm

#26 Stan Brooks on 08.08.18 at 6:11 pm

#23 cultural elitist on 08.08.18 at 5:49 pm

You are wrong on the wage difference for the same amount and quality of labour, this was already pointed out to you.

Man and Women are made different, despite what neo-liberal leftist/nazies ideology tells you.
I have never seen a women collecting the garbage, swimming or running equally with the world best man performers.

I also have never ever seen wage discrimination against women in Canada. It is a myth, a lie to justify T2’s crusades for equality.

There is no country where women are more equal to men than in Canada.

If there is no equality one has to invent it to justify T2’s idiocies. It is that simple.

If you truly believe anything statistics Canada says, you are in big trouble.

They said for example that inflation is sub 2 %.
Do you believe any of their BS?

Wash you eyes.

#27 Stan Brooks on 08.08.18 at 6:11 pm

If there is no inequality one has to invent it to justify T2’s idiocies. It is that simple.

#28 Stan Brooks on 08.08.18 at 6:12 pm

#23 cultural elitist on 08.08.18 at 5:49 pm

Measuring equality of output/wages without that of input/work.

Take a hike.

#29 The Dude on 08.08.18 at 6:29 pm

“didn’t get wealthy doing such silly things.”

Seems like they got wealthy by not doing much at all.

Civil servant pensions – Accept job offer… stay for 40 years, get pension no one under 40 will every get. Lotto win #1

Buy a house for 2 times income 30 yrs ago – it appreciates to 2 million by doing nothing. Lotto win #2.

It’s why they are considering such silly things today because their wealth today has little to do with more than two simple choices. Get job with gov, buy house… live.

This life/career path can’t be duplicated today or probably ever again.

#30 [email protected] on 08.08.18 at 6:37 pm

tweet wipes out billions

will interest rate hikes continue?
losses >>> London contract

#31 Edward Bear on 08.08.18 at 6:37 pm

A colleague friend and his wife have some problems
flying. They bought a pretty spiffy motor home to go down to the warm SE States. It froze up about half way there necessitating their hoteling it most of the way. On arrival, they took it into one of the many RV repair shops. The shop owner tallied up all of their costly problems and asked in a southern drawl, “Do y’all know what RV stands for? Ruined Vacation! “ Drive anywhere on the Prairies and there are storage yards chock-a-block full of them and the towable kind. $200k = 1000 nights in a $200.00 hotel room, less fuel, no RV lot fee, no sewage to dump, no sheets or dishes to wash, hop in the car and go. My wife and I said we worked at the wrong places to get a pair of million dollar govt. DB pensions. Working there would have driven us batty.

#32 Prairieboy43 on 08.08.18 at 6:39 pm

Skip the RV life. Buy couple good Road Trekking Bicycles ($2500.00/ each). RIDE. 80-120km/day. cycling is slower, far more rewarding, than slugging a RV for 6-8 hours day. Smell the roses, enjoy camping on vacant beaches. Drink creat coffee. Meet the locals. cycling is Quiet, cheap and fun. Keep you in great shape for fantastic SEX. Keeps you out hospital. Then when winter comes, pack bike head southern hemisphere, and repeat. Watch the $$$ grow…..
yahoo….. PB43.

#33 Smoking Man on 08.08.18 at 6:39 pm

Attention investors. Real and present danger.

Don’t invest in companies like google or Facebook, YouTube. They are alienating 1/2 of their market. Democrats and Republucans know Muller is on a witch hunt. He’s tool for globalism. So are the big tech companies.

Their coordinated banning of Alex Jones was just the start of censorship. Trump out at all costs is the game. They have just given rise to new up starts.watch bitchute popularity ski rocket now that Johnes is hosted there.

https://www.bitchute.com is a version of Youtube that will not censor conservative voices…

Sell if you own tech giants shares. Their viewer ship has peeked and now they are flipping the middle finger to 1/2 their market. It won’t end well..

#34 Deplorable Dude on 08.08.18 at 6:40 pm

#22 Ed….wife prefers the rv.

——————-

So where do you actually live, some permanent hook up on a RV site somewhere?

#35 Capt. Serious on 08.08.18 at 6:43 pm

Might be my favourite sentence in this history of this blog.

#36 Ronaldo on 08.08.18 at 6:45 pm

”And (b) the best two days you’ll ever have with a boat are the one you buy, and the day you sell. Yes, just like horses. Or, especially, an RV.”
————————————————————–
Isn’t that the truth? Front yard decorations we used to call them. A fellow living on the street above us had two full size buses (RV’s) parked in his front yard for a few years. Don’t see them there any more. Maybe the neighbours got tired of looking at them. What a total waste of money. Far cheaper to rent.

#37 Rural Rick on 08.08.18 at 6:51 pm

I remember watching a guy trying to back his Bus sized RV into a camp site. After 4 or 5 tries his wife took over and put it in one go. Then when he was leaving he forgot to retract the levelling jacks and ripped them off the frame.
I love class C motor homes but it only makes sense to buy if you are a barrel racer or at car races every weekend.

#38 FOUR FINGERS WATSON on 08.08.18 at 6:52 pm

TORONTO (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia has told hundreds of trainee doctors to leave Canada with only weeks’ notice in the midst of a diplomatic spat, a move that could disrupt Canadian hospitals and end a 40-year-old program to train specialists for the kingdom.

Angered by Ottawa calling for the release of arrested Saudi civil society activists, Saudi Arabia retaliated this week by freezing new trade with Canada, expelling the country’s ambassador and blocking imports of Canadian grain.

Riyadh ordered all Saudi students in Canada to return home by the end of the month, creating a logistical nightmare for the students and for top teaching hospitals in the country.

Saudi Arabia is the largest source of foreign-trained medical residents and fellows, or trainees, in Canada, and was set to occupy 95 percent of international residency spots in the coming academic year.

In 2016, nearly five percent, or 765, of Canada’s trainee doctors came from Saudi medical schools, according to the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada.

“We will have to cover any holes in the schedule with either our own trainees or our staff physicians,” said Gillian Howard, a spokeswoman for the University Health Network, which operates four Toronto hospitals that stand to lose 86 doctors.

#39 Ronaldo on 08.08.18 at 6:56 pm

#24 Guy in Calgary on 08.08.18 at 5:50 pm

—————————————————————-
Could not have said it better myself. So true.

#40 not so liquid in calgary on 08.08.18 at 6:58 pm

“…fall out of love with peeing into a glorified bucket and living with bugs.”

==========================================

Garth… you HAVE RV’d !!

#41 Zapstrap on 08.08.18 at 6:58 pm

Ah … the RV. No doubt you can make a financial case against buying one but long as you are willing to do the maintenance yourself (it’ll need it) and only insure it while using it … you should be alright. And I don’t think anybody will rent you a rig to go into “off highway” places to do some fly fishing. So depends on what you want to do … go traveling in style or go moose hunting. Or both. Love mine …

#42 Ronaldo on 08.08.18 at 7:04 pm

#23 Cultural Elitist

”I also note that women earning 87% of men’s wages (in the same occupations) is a vast improvement in equality over past decades.”
——————————————————————
Do you have a link to qualify this statement. I have worked in high level positions over the past 40 years along with women doing the same job and there was no pay difference. If there was it was because of time on the job.

#43 not so liquid in calgary on 08.08.18 at 7:05 pm

Smoking Man on 08.08.18 at 6:39 pm

============================================

Pal… are you part of QAnon now??

#44 Mr. Pun on 08.08.18 at 7:12 pm

A boat is more like a Buoy toy than a boy toy, no?

#45 SoggyShorts on 08.08.18 at 7:14 pm

#33 Smoking Man on 08.08.18 at 6:39 pm
Attention investors. Real and present danger.

Their coordinated banning of Alex Jones was just the start of censorship.
***********************************
If 1/2 of people agreed with Alex Jones I’d become a suicide bomber. Let’s not conflate conservatives and psychopaths.

“Now let’s see what Infowars says about censoring people on its own website:

You will not post anything libelous, defamatory, harmful, threatening, harassing, abusive, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, racially or ethnically objectionable, or otherwise illegal.

You will not make threats to other users or people not associated with the site.

If you violate these rules, your posts and/or user name will be deleted.

Remember: you are a guest here. It is not censorship if you violate the rules and your post is deleted. All civilizations have rules and if you violate them you can expect to be ostracized from the tribe.”

Sounds to me like booting that piece of trash off their platforms was exactly what Alex Jones would have done….

#46 Ed on 08.08.18 at 7:16 pm

Response to #34
So where do you actually live, some permanent hook up on a RV site somewhere?

We spend most of our time in the rv in Los Barriles Baja Sur…good fishing/kite boarding,mountain biking…front wheels in the sand on the beach.
The other 6 months now will be spent on the sailboat in the Society Islands snorkeling,scuba,fishing etc.
Beats sitting in our house on the couch watching Bob Barker reruns on the tube.
Nobody gets out alive!

#47 crowdedelevatorfartz on 08.08.18 at 7:17 pm

So.
Just filled out a survey from an Angus Reid type company.
It was ALL questions on finances, loans, interest rates, mortgages, lines of Credit, etc etc etc.

Judging from the questions…..Methinks lenders and govt might be getting a tad worried….

#48 ImGonnaBeSick on 08.08.18 at 7:18 pm

Garth you have the patience of a Saint. I don’t know how you tolerate having to explain yourself over and over. Comprehension is ridiculously low.

#49 Ronaldo on 08.08.18 at 7:23 pm

Different topic but just as crazy. Here is a house in the Mt. Pleasant are of Vancouver. One of the most bubbly areas that I have been watching over the past several
years. http://www.clairrockel.com/showlisting/66756/481-West-18th-Avenue-Cambie-Vancouver-West/

This house back when I first bought my first home in N. Vancr. in January 70 would have sold for around $25,000. It’s now on the block for $3,689,000. Just the down payment alone if you put 20% down would represent 10 times median family income for Vancouver. The annual interest on the remainder with a 3% mortgage would amount to $88,500 per year. Far more than the average median family income. Tell me who on god’s green earth can afford something like this. How is this sustainable? This is just an average home for this area.

#50 Deplorable Dude on 08.08.18 at 7:27 pm

There’s a lot more to this Saudi reaction than we’re being told. Their response is almost on the level responding to an act of war.

I’ve seen news reports that the Saudis saying the jailed party was in contact with foreign powers.

Is the Canadian government in Cahoots with the Muslim Brotherhood trying to undermine the ruling Saudis?

Dare I say….collusion….:-)

#51 Bezengy on 08.08.18 at 7:27 pm

“That’s as dumb as having a cottage.” Really? I think you’ve been at the wrong cottage. Come spend a weekend with Bandit and let the dog decide who’s got it made.

#52 dosouth on 08.08.18 at 7:28 pm

#11 Howard on 08.08.18 at 5:20 pm
And you wonder why so many young people hate the Boomer generation? Exhibit A.

Do the hipsters want RVs? – Garth
__________________________________________

Poor Howard, never had to work for anything in his life and now begrudges anyone who has worked for 40 some years the right to do so……Howard needs a hug and a trophy….

#53 Slim on 08.08.18 at 7:31 pm

I often enjoyed the quiet weekends in our neighborhood, when many had joined the rat race to go “RVing”. Sometimes the best holiday you can take is right there on the couch.

#54 Nonplused on 08.08.18 at 7:34 pm

I have a boat and an RV so I guess I was particularly dumb as a young man. Hover we used them both for almost 6 weeks a year when the kids were younger, and I bought the boat used for half what would be worth new. The RV is a trailer that I bought at the depths of the 2008 crisis for much less than list. Also it isn’t one of those behemoths, I wanted to be able to fit into government campsites relatively easy, plus tandem the boat and stay under 65 feet.

The boat turned out to be a money pit (engine blew) but it isn’t worth much now so I haven’t bothered to sell it. Plus every time I suggest it I get out voted by the wife and kids. So I leave it parked where everyone can see it in the hopes somebody will steal it.

The trailer still gets used but not more than 2 weeks a year because the older kids are working all summer. We still like having that because we often head to places that are outside day trip range for some hiking and biking. Wouldn’t buy another one though unless I was going to become a roving retiree. And it too has depreciated to the point where I wouldn’t get much out of it at this point, even though it’s in great shape. And it’s dog friendly. Plus it’s nice being able to bring all your crap, holy heck do we bring a lot of crap. Bikes, and inflatable raft, fishing gear, you name it it’s in there. RV’s are very kid and pet friendly, much more so than a hotel.

But in both cases I paid cash. Definitely not the sort of thing you should finance. They are definitely consumer items with next to no residual value when they are 20 years old. They come with all the joys of owning a car or house (insurance, fuel, maintenance, the fridge goes after about 10 years, what have you.) Chances are if you need to finance it, you can’t afford it. You don’t “need” one. Don’t finance things you don’t “need”. You can get the camping experience plenty good in a good old fashioned tent. (Get a good one though.)

Financing a car if you have to makes sense, same as a house you probably need one in today’s day and age. But there is a whole list of things you don’t finance beyond boats and RV’s. Vacations, skis, ski trips, jet skis, skidoos, dirt bikes, 65 inch TV’s, leather furniture, stereos, high end bicycles, hockey equipment and fees, canoes, pool tables, gaming counsels, etc. That kind of stuff, if you don’t have the cash you can’t afford it. It all has a residual value of zero and it isn’t “productive” debt. A car can be, because it gets you to work. A house can be, because you need a place to live. But skis? Cash, and only if you have it. Otherwise rent. Around here you can even rent canoes.

I noticed Garth did not mention his seemingly one and only vice: Motorcycles. I won’t single out HD’s specifically other than to say that they are about the most expensive way there is to get into it and if you aren’t enamored by the HD culture they don’t really offer any advantages over metric bikes that cost far less and come in a far greater range of types and sizes. Let’s instead talk about motorcycles as something you should finance. If you are using it to commute, possibly yes. Nothing will get you to work cheaper than a 250 cc scooter or dual-sport, if you can stand the rain, not even public transit. The gas mileage even on a HD is outstanding compared to cars, and the cheap small displacement bikes typically run up to 70 mpg and cost very little to insure (the biggest factor in insuring an HD is theft). But if it’s just a toy you ride around aimlessly on the weekends like some retired granny in an RV, then no.

So anyway I would say that if today’s writer has the money and is retired and the finances are as stated, ya maybe an RV is a good idea. Retirement is boring, it’ll give them something to do. But $200,000? That’s a heck of a rig. Apply the metric bike principle: You can get all you could possibly need for a lot less than that. Anything over $100,000 in a motor home or $50,000 in a trailer is just being flashy. And that’s new, used can be had for far less even if you have to replace the fridge in a few years.

Remember, nobody cares if you have a Gucci handbag except the people who might steal it.

#55 KLNR on 08.08.18 at 7:35 pm

the guy has more than enough money to live out his remaining days. let him enjoy his 200k toy.
how much does he really need at his age?

#56 Tony on 08.08.18 at 7:45 pm

My brother’s first wife bought an RV for he said about $325,000 and she retired at age 45 to tour America. She could well afford it. With less than zero knowledge of how to invest she bought WEED when it first listed. My brother has been short that stock (and still is) since they announced the legalization date for marijuana in Canada.

#57 S.Bby on 08.08.18 at 7:48 pm

Justin Trudeau:
“He’s just not ready”

#58 KLNR on 08.08.18 at 7:48 pm

@#26 Stan Brooks on 08.08.18 at 6:11 pm

______________________

Get your head out of your @ss stan.
wage discrimination towards women is well documented.
Why do you dopes have Trudeau behind all your conspiracy theories?

#59 ANON on 08.08.18 at 7:53 pm

If you really need one, then get the European model.

#60 bubu on 08.08.18 at 7:56 pm

Life is not always about making more money… This is the North America in an unhappy place with so many people depressed…. Enjoy today as you never know what is happening tomorrow…. Play safe but don’t look at how to safe every penny to invest it because if you spend it you lose it…. Tomorrow Garth will tell us to invest the coffee money because next month we can buy 2 more coffees…. At 65 with their situation I’ll just enjoy the few healthy years I would have…

#61 AGuyInVancouver on 08.08.18 at 7:57 pm

#38 FOUR FINGERS WATSON on 08.08.18 at 6:52 pm
TORONTO (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia has told hundreds of trainee doctors to leave Canada with only weeks’ notice in the midst of a diplomatic spat, a move that could disrupt Canadian hospitals and end a 40-year-old program to train specialists for the kingdom…
— –
Boo-frickin-hoo!
How Canadian that we’ve come to rely on such a program to staff our hospitals. Just like we import workers because we absolutely must have Tim Hortons Drive-Thru’s open 24/7. Let’s provide opportunities for Canadians instead.

#62 the Jaguar on 08.08.18 at 7:58 pm

VW is manufacturing a new camper van that will make all VW people ( a cult following) pee their pants. Here it is on YouTube:

Not sold here ‘yet’, but maybe there is a way to sneak one over. I would buy one in a second. Why would anybody buy a big ugly honking RV when you could have this fetching little beauty…..

#63 BobC on 08.08.18 at 8:05 pm

I say go for the rv and enjoy it. Taking every cost into consideration I wouldn’t trade my family rv experience’s for a lousy $50k a year. My kids and grandkids will have the memories of camping in national parks the rest of they’re lives. Money isn’t everything.

#64 Cici on 08.08.18 at 8:06 pm

Well, I’m biased because I hate RVs, BUT if they bought one (and it sounds like it’s probably too late to cancel the sale), they probably had big ideas and dreams for it, so they might as well give it a shot and go for it. Some people really do love the RV life. Besides, they’re retired so they can definitely spend several months of the year travelling in it. So guys, get in, drive South, park it near a golf course and/or beach, and stay a while.

To counter the costs, they could (carefully and judiciously) rent their home out for profit while away. If it just so ends up that RVing is really not their thing, they can turn around and sell the first year; not ideal, but they can take the hit without jeopardizing their retirement.

Now on the topic of boats…me thinks that Garth must not have sea legs, because a sailboat is just about the only thing worth purchasing and owning in this mad, crazy world we live in!

To make a long story just a little bit longer, next time round guys, buy a sailboat! ;-)

XOXO Cici

#65 Mean Gene on 08.08.18 at 8:10 pm

I guess RVs don’t scale up too well as compared to going on a road trip in a decent car/suv and renting a cabin at your destinantion(s)… or to really camp, have an old PU and a camper then you can explore logging/forest service roads.

Bacon and eggs in a cast iron frying pan grandma used to own smoking over a camp fire… joy!!

#66 Pablo on 08.08.18 at 8:11 pm

Garth. Any info on ontario cottage sales? Have they fared worse than Toronto slanty shanties and woodchip McMansions? I hear the mills love cottages almost as much as they love those concrete and glass boxes.

#67 Wrk.dover on 08.08.18 at 8:27 pm

I’m speed reading through this RV travel site, all liquored up for a change, and there is dependable Jess #25 keeping it real.

You go girl!

#68 Caraboat on 08.08.18 at 8:30 pm

This doesn’t apply to caraboats right?

#69 KLNR on 08.08.18 at 8:37 pm

#50 Deplorable Dude on 08.08.18 at 7:27 pm

Dare I say….collusion….:-)

_______________________

don’t get sucked in by the conspiracy theorists.
This is no more than a brach prince, next in line for the throne, trying to make a name for himself. Just look at what he’s done over the past while. backwards country only getting more backwards.

#70 Must Have For Okanagan Driveways on 08.08.18 at 8:38 pm

Driveways are lonely in the Okanagan without one of these parked 12 months per year on it.

Quite frankly, you’re a looser if you don’t have once of these on the driveways of the overpriced home you have. That and a sports boat. Gotta have it.

This is why Canadians are financial morons. What they think is a good deal is getting ripped off, not knowing it. And then apologize for being ripped off.

Why so many price drops right now?

#71 Eco Capitalist on 08.08.18 at 8:50 pm

Right idea, wrong method. Yes, get out and enjoy your retirement however you wish. But like Garth points out, RVs, cottages, boats, planes, ATVs, canoes and even small islands can all be rented. Try before you buy!

#72 Do not share with "Non-Cleared" Individuals on BC on 08.08.18 at 8:56 pm

Listen, in November of 2006, a little blip that Real Estate insiders can speak to happened in Kelowna. This is something that had not happened in the previous 47 years within this marketplace.

Yet, it went away just months after it first appeared, only to re-appear September, 2007.

This was not good and what happened after that everyone knows. Boom! This specific measure (affected by different economic circumstances) eventually healed itself and went away.

Or so we thought.

Well, I will be damned if it is back, for the first time since the 6-year healing process back to health and cleared by 2014.

This thing is bigger, badder and more of a monster than anyone can possibly imagine. It isn’t just Kelowna, but this place serves as a good example.

I am making the call right now. I will eat my words if what just happened reverses.

I am not going to speak of the data point in question but like I said. Anyone in the industry knows exactly what I am talking about.

House prices will be negatively affected.

#73 Dave in Kincardine on 08.08.18 at 8:56 pm

Hedonism and entitlement is always a selfish mystery to me. There is so much we can do with generosity. $200 000 RV blows my mind.

#74 nobody on 08.08.18 at 9:03 pm

At $200k this is likely a sportsmobile 4×4 sprinter – a smallest expedition vehicle, it will get anywhere on this continent. It’s not a 40ft land yacht that can only go between palm springs and vegas.

#75 SoggyShorts on 08.08.18 at 9:21 pm

#51 Bezengy on 08.08.18 at 7:27 pm
**************************
Yes, really. You just proved it. “Come spend a weekend” implying that the cottage is only used 2 out of 7 days, and probably only a few months a year.
1. Sell cottage
2. Invest proceeds
3. Use income from investment to rent a better cottage for less
4. As a bonus whenever you want, you can change it up with a trip to mexico or anywhere in the world since cash is mobile and accepted year round.

#76 The budget will balance itself. on 08.08.18 at 9:22 pm

JT.

#77 SoggyShorts on 08.08.18 at 9:26 pm

#63 BobC on 08.08.18 at 8:05 pm
******************************
Another person who either doesn’t understand math, or is willfully trying to justify their mistakes.

Garth is not saying to invest the RV money and sit at home playing solitaire under a bare light bulb while eating KD.
He is suggesting that instead of plunking down 200K on an RV you invest 200K and use the ~$15,000 per year that it earns to rent an RV, go on trips, stay in hotels, cabins, yurts, or whatever blows your hair back.
As a bonus after 10 years instead of having a beat up RV you still have $200K

#78 SW on 08.08.18 at 9:31 pm

#50 Deplorable Dude on 08.08.18 at 7:27 pm
“There’s a lot more to this Saudi reaction than we’re being told. Their response is almost on the level responding to an act of war….”

Perhaps they’re just trying to distract attention from the Son-of-Osama who is kicking off in Afghanistan. They even put O’s elderly mum on display recently. That never happens…

#79 BC Interior on 08.08.18 at 9:32 pm

I have a used RV trailer. Used it 75 days so far this year. Love getting out there. Paid 14k for it. Its all you need.

#80 X on 08.08.18 at 9:37 pm

Agreed, to invest the money, you basically could rent the RV for 2 months a year and still have your $200,000.

When you lease an RV do you have KM limitations/penalties like a car?

#81 FOUR FINGERS WATSON on 08.08.18 at 9:43 pm

If someone has worked their ass off for 40 years and has more money than they will ever need then go ahead and spend it any way they want. Do the bucket list or whatever. They earned it and they deserve it. Enjoy.

#82 MSM-Free Zone on 08.08.18 at 9:52 pm

Timely cover photo today.

At the end of each summer, Calgary Pools and Rec opens up their final day of outdoor public pools to canines for a dip and swimming free for all.

Called ‘The Dog Days of Summer’, all gate proceeds go to charity.

Wondering if something similar would catch on in the GTA?

#83 Ustabe on 08.08.18 at 9:58 pm

Picture this:
A hand built Teardrop trailer, you and your sweetie road tripping across Canada…2.5 months, 15,000 kms, all ten provinces.

Like hippies in the 70’s…no reservations, no data plans and perhaps a bit more money.

Pull into Lunenburg, post up at the Lunenburg Municipal Campground and sit enjoying an adult beverage when a stunning woman, handsome dog and some old fart walk by on their evening constitutional.

You don’t see stuff like that sitting at home bitching about Trudeau or how some stranger to you spends their money.

Alma, NB, right hard up on Bay of Fundy, a lobster dinner with all the fixings for $25.00.

Small southern town in Sask where the campground operator fired up a huge grill and cooked everyone in camp a steak dinner at no cost.

Camped at Goldpan Provincial Park where a guy is showing all the kids (old and young) how to pan gold from the Frazer river.

Up by Cache Creek on the Thompson river listening to that glacier silt ridden river scour the banks as it flowed past.

A hundred more stories like this from all across Canada, people not afraid to go outside, not afraid of the dark, welcoming total strangers into their lives and homes.

If you haven’t spent a week in Newfoundland go…only plan for at least two or more.

Not all RV-ing is a waste plus I’m into the Teardrop for 8 grand, my insurance lady made me insure it for $13,000 tho.

I’ve just spent 2 1/2 months of my life in the most enjoyable way I can imagine while most of you bellyache types can’t even poop right without Metamucil.

#84 Smoking Man on 08.08.18 at 10:04 pm

45 SoggyShorts on 08.08.18 at 7:14 pm
#33 Smoking Man on 08.08.18 at 6:39 pm
Attention investors. Real and present danger.

Their coordinated banning of Alex Jones was just the start of censorship.
***********************************

“Now let’s see what Infowars says about censoring people on its own website:

If you violate these rules, your posts and/or user name will be deleted.

………

My post was not about Alex jones. It was about the big tech companies censoring conservatives. Alex was the first. Their users base peeked and now they are pissing off Deplorables. Who by the way gave trump the White House. Wasn’t the Russians…

The second someone comes up with something that has an easy of use as twitter. Twitter shares will dive, 80 million deplorable waiting for this. . Bitchute is a youtube type thing Now that Jones is on it he has millions of followers , Bitchute is now on the map. Venture capitalist will be begging to invest. Then they will figure out how to monetize it for content creators . boom youtube will see a notable decline.

Dr Smoking Man
Phd Herdonomics.

#85 Vision on 08.08.18 at 10:04 pm

One year, we went on a hotel / motel vacation to the Eastern USA with our young children. It was fun, we did the sightseeing and stuck to ourselves.
The following year, we bought a tent trailer and went to the same area for vacation. It was amazing! What a difference. We met all kinds of people at the campgrounds and had a blast of a good time.
Yeah, you can stay in hotels when you vacation, but there is nothing like camping in provincial parks/ state parks. People there are amazingly friendly.(and you can bring your dog,)
I am older now, and bought a used Park Model RV two years ago. If you don’t know about Park Models , these are pretty much like a cottage, except you stay at a park, rent the land with all ammenities such as pool, beach, laundry room and clubhouse, and don’t have the headaches of a cottage. This is the best thing I have ever done. Even though I work part time,I just keep thinking about being away there. Just in case you think we are “trailer trash” , we are both professionals and have alot more money saved than your example listed above.
RVing is the best kept secret. People snub their noses at it, but it is so much fun, whether you travel or stay put at a park. Cottages are so expensive these days. But we made the RV decision years ago because we did not want the work of a cottage. Owning a house is enough upkeep, who wants two places.
I agree though, that it does make sense to buy used.
Anyways, we have most of our money invested and enjoy cottage life without the huge financial burden.

#86 Canadian fools on 08.08.18 at 10:15 pm

#87 Joe Calgary on 08.08.18 at 11:05 pm

Garth’s advice is flawed in this case, sprinters hold their value incredibly well, I was just looking at a 10-year-old example with 90,000 km, for $62,000. At 10 years of depreciation that’s a little under $6000 a year. Assuming these people are retired, they can use it as many months a year as they want, go down south for three months a year in the winter. Better yet buy a used one for $62,000, use it for 10 years, and sell it for $30,000 at that point. In that case it’ll only cost you $32,000 in depreciation over the course of 10 years. These people have already invested, and would not be phased by $32,000 depreciation bill over the course of 10 years.

#88 Renter's Revenge! on 08.09.18 at 12:03 am

#89 bill on 08.09.18 at 12:11 am

Cant see the big RV’s myself but to each his own eh?
we just bought an plain ordinary white ford hi top cargo van. we have all our camping gear already so getting a nice big cargo van was an obvious choice for carrying all the stuff.
[it was way too crowded in the Impreza wagon … ]
a few luxuries like a real mattress and a fridge but otherwise its quite simple .very much in the old school VW Westphalia tradition before the pop top of the 70s
we plan on doing a trip across Canada and the northern woods and water ‘trail’ and possibly Alaska. We can hardly wait to be honest…

#90 Long-Time Lurker on 08.09.18 at 12:16 am

#25 jess on 08.08.18 at 5:51 pm

>Good article. Anyone doing on-line trading should read it. Thanks, Jess.

#91 MF on 08.09.18 at 12:47 am

#18 Howard on 08.08.18 at 5:39 pm

Wow. Just wow.

That link was worth the read.

Thanks for that!

MF

#92 Smoking Man on 08.09.18 at 1:00 am

Who wants to know what the red X means on twitter.

It means you are Showdow Band and had to start a new account. On my new account im getting 100 times more re tweets and likes with only 90 followers. Smoking Man who had 3000 followers perged down to 2500 was getting zip.. Nada. Nothing. To get on the shit list. Bash @gmbutts he’s Soros go to boy. Butts hasent tweeted anything since July 27. This why I speculate there is a war right now inside the libtard party… Doomed and they know it.

#93 Viorelli on 08.09.18 at 2:00 am

While RV might be fun, we are happy with our Honda pilot, thule box on top, bike rack, bring along our bikes and kayak and enjoy tents here in BC and Washington state. All those toys fit in my small garage in Vancouver and its very affordable. The only problem with camping here lately is inability to book any campsites near by, thus we head to mount Baker and Oregon state.

#94 NoName on 08.09.18 at 2:03 am

#83 Ustabe on 08.08.18 at 9:58 pm

Picture this:

—-

Hand built you are saying.

#95 Oft deleted much maligned stock.picker on 08.09.18 at 3:17 am

Yikes ….how ridiculous….bought a $200000 unit and it’s worth $40000 maybe as a used unit the day you drove it off the lot . Yayyyyyyy ….how do I know these people inherited everything? I used to sell houses and I can’t tell you how many had a behemoth low miles RV in the back yard under a tarp. RV life is not like the commercials.
..you’re on the freeway getting your windows sucked out by hightailing semis….and in the US .
It’s gotten downright scary…..the bad people look for Canadians because they know you’re not armed to the teeth like Americans. Read up on that…or limit your driving to the Costco and back to your rear yard. Nothing scarier than having two or three ugly looking gentlemen defend on you the first time you stop to stock up on tacos. Or…..get some guns as soon as you cross the border and keep them loaded. Most Americans carry shotguns on road trips ..muggers seem to not like those waving around. Surprised the crap out of me how people in the US will look at you like an idiot if you’re not armed….HWY 66 is the predators shopping lane.

And them dogs…..gawwwd….don’t they lick thier ass all day?

#96 Oft deleted much maligned stock.picker on 08.09.18 at 5:37 am

Trudeau blubbers secret apologies to KSR while lying to Canadians about a committment to his supposed values.

This is the same duplicitous sleaze that got him in trouble either Trump. Trudeau …….what an embarrassment.

#97 Tater on 08.09.18 at 7:46 am

#43 not so liquid in calgary on 08.08.18 at 7:05 pm
Smoking Man on 08.08.18 at 6:39 pm

============================================

Pal… are you part of QAnon now??

—————————————————————

Nah, he’s one of those piece of sh*t proud boys now.

#98 Tater on 08.09.18 at 7:48 am

26 Stan Brooks on 08.08.18 at 6:11 pm
#23 cultural elitist on 08.08.18 at 5:49 pm

There is no country where women are more equal to men than in Canada.

If you truly believe anything statistics Canada says, you are in big trouble.

They said for example that inflation is sub 2 %.
Do you believe any of their BS?

Wash you eyes.
—————————————————————-

Here’s Stan with his inflation nonsense again. He doesn’t understand how it’s calculated but he’s really sure that every 10 years, the average Canadians standard of living is cut in half.

#99 jess on 08.09.18 at 7:51 am

p2p lending crisis in china -lost life savings
financial refugees – gov. encouraged them to invest in Tourongjia.com a favourite helped promote
over 4,470 have collapsed since 2012 – 11b. lost

#100 RedKnave on 08.09.18 at 8:19 am

We should all stop and remember the titanium rule –
Rent that which depreciates
Buy that which appreciates.

#101 Linda on 08.09.18 at 8:26 am

A question for the blog dogs out there regarding DB pension plans, esp. for government workers. Why are those w/o DB pension plans not demanding them from their employers? It is pretty clear that they are a desired perk & much vitriol is hurled at government workers for having a DB plan, esp. when most workers have no pension plan whatsoever. So what is keeping people from trying to get these plans from their own employers? Do they not believe they deserve a secure retirement? Or do people actually not want to have a workplace pension plan of any sort because they’d rather have the money that would otherwise be deducted from their salaries? Seems to me that if people used their time to fight for that benefit for themselves instead of demanding it be taken from others that they’d be further ahead, but I’m presuming people actually would want to have a workplace pension plan. I’m curious to know just how many people are actually willing to give up income now to have more than just CPP/OAS upon retirement.

#102 Feeno on 08.09.18 at 8:42 am

Garth, even the funnies follow your pathetic blog.
‘For Better or For Worse’ in today’s paper would make a
good banner for a future article.

#103 FormerNavyGunner on 08.09.18 at 8:53 am

#17 Justin

Hey, I have a Zune. It still does its job, play music ;-)

#104 When Will They Raise Rates? on 08.09.18 at 8:57 am

The economy is BOOMING!

Check this out, from Lindsay, ON:

more details:

#105 dharma bum on 08.09.18 at 9:02 am

#12 Ace Goodheart

——————————————————————-

Always loved those hippie buses. Every time I’m bumming around California, Oregon, Arizona, or Colorado, and I see one, I gotta get a picture of it, or pose in front of one, like a dick.
I wish I had your mechanical skills to restore and refurbish one of these for myself.
Alas, I can only fantasize.
I’ll have to stick to the Subaru for now when I travel.

Gotta love the VW Hippie Bus!

#106 Duke on 08.09.18 at 9:49 am

#103 FormerNavyGunner on 08.09.18 at 8:53 am
#17 Justin

Hey, I have a Zune. It still does its job, play music ;-)

======================

I do too. It is a great product but Microsoft didn’t get lucky with it. 13 years and still going strong.

#107 Another Deckchair on 08.09.18 at 9:51 am

#101 Linda:

Hmmm …

Back a couple of decades ago, I had a choice:

1) Continue contracting at govt, at a salary of “X”, zero benefits;

2) Accept a govt position that would give DB pension and benefits, salary of “0.42X”;

3) Join another high-tech company, that was named “N**TEL” that flew high for a while, with a job offer of “2.5X”, including benefits and pension.

I chose option 2, as I was a single parent, with kids, and kids come first. The job was working under a manager who allowed the job to be fun, which was a benefit, too.

No, let me rephrase that, “LIGHTYEARS” ahead of the Gov. DB Pension.

Heck, MrMoneyMustache and spouse chose option 3, saved, and retired somewhere around 35 years old with a lifestyle better than a govt. pension would provide.

Let that sink in to anyone reading this.

(if anyone is interested, remarried, and partner is also frugal, so basically saved 50% of our income for a decade +, and are in great financial shape. Hope “Belinda” from a couple of days is reading this)

#108 Ace Goodheart on 08.09.18 at 10:07 am

RE: #17 Justin on 08.08.18 at 5:31 pm

“I love my boat! I saved up for it and took advantage of divorce to get an awesome pleasure craft with a new engine for $9k.”

I managed to find an old Grew (from the now defunct Penetanguishene Ontario Grew boatworks) for 1k on kijiji. Guy selling it had inherited it from his father. It was sitting in dry dock in a marina and he didn’t know if it ran or floated. Hadn’t been up there for years.

So I had the oh so friendly marina staff drop it in the water and fire it up. The old V6s in those things are amazing. This one had been sitting for years. Fired up on the first turn with some gas dumped into the carburettor and a battery hooked up to the starter. Ran like crap, idle was very rough and shook the whole boat. I was like, this thing needs a tune up. Bought it on the spot.

Turned out that the ignition system components were rusty. I pulled out a completely covered in rust Thunderbolt distributor rotor position sensor, an equally rusty rotor and the cap had little rust stalactites hanging from its six rusty copper connection points. Amazing that it run at all.

Found the P.O. had put in three different fuel filters at various places along the fuel line. Removed all of them and replaced the two filters that it is actually supposed to have, ordered some new distributer parts from the internet for $200.00 and installed them.

Following that, it purred like a little kitten. Have been using it as a tow boat for skiing and tubing up at the cottage ever since then. The old V6s are amazing. Nothing compares. Neighbours have the new boats, that retail for like 40 or 50K, with the little four banger sewing machine motors in them. When they break down, they have to trailer them down to Toronto to get them looked at as no one up here has the software for them.

#109 BobC on 08.09.18 at 10:26 am

#77 soggy shorts
Since you decided you get to pick my choices, I’ll answer.
I do understand math so I must be trying to justify my wasting of money.
Had Garth picked $300k as an example I’m sure you would be using it too.
I’ve never spent that kind of money on an rv. I probably lost $40-50k overall.
Renting and owning can’t compare as you make changes and have it at your disposal.
You keep your money and I’ll keep my memories.

#110 Ace Goodheart on 08.09.18 at 10:45 am

RE: #107 Another Deckchair on 08.09.18 at 9:51 am

“If I had chosen option 3, or continued with option 1 *AND SAVED THE DIFFERENCE*, I’d have been miles ahead, financially, to option 2. ”

This is actually very true. It takes forever to accumulate enough of a pension to retire. They typically want 30 years of your life with their “age formula” that they use to calculate your benefits. You can do the same for yourself in ten years.

I know so many people who chose option 2, worked for 30 years or more, “retired” at 65 or so and then dropped dead a few years later. There is so much information available as to what 30 years of full time work does to you and how hard it is to live for a long period of time afterwards.

One person I know put in 32 years as a primary school teacher and then retired with a full pension. She managed to live 4 years after retirement (and those four years were in and out of hospital with serious health issues). She is deceased about 6 months ago now.

If you are frugal, careful with your spending, invest as much as you can and don’t get into debt, it is very easy to retire after 10 years of full time work.

Why do people have to work 30 years or more? Well, so that multi millionaire families like those of our finance minister, can make their fortunes off of other people’s pension savings.

Do it yourself. It is much, much better.

#111 FOUR FINGERS WATSON on 08.09.18 at 10:45 am

#93 Viorelli on 08.09.18 at 2:00 am
……………………………………….

There are a bazillion places to camp for free in BC. You don’t need to book a campsite. Just get out there !

#112 Zapstrap on 08.09.18 at 10:56 am

#105 dharma bum on 08.09.18 at 9:02 am
Alas, I can only fantasize.
I’ll have to stick to the Subaru for now when I travel.

Gotta love the VW Hippie Bus!

If you want to see a lot of VW microbusses … go to Cortes Island BC. Seems to be “the center of the universe” for them. But then the the locals seem to still be wearing a lot of paisley clothing.

#113 Wrk.dover on 08.09.18 at 10:59 am

The sprinter is ideal. They can go anywhere a car or pickup goes basically. I built up a van based camper with the same silhouette thirty years ago to do up the continent on a five month tour, and I can say there were not many Hampton Inns most places we went like to the biggest tree in the world, the north side of Grand Canyon, Tofino and so on. We enjoyed it enough to re-body it in Arizona on another trip, and later do a subsequent seven month tour.

The advantage of a van based unit like the sprinter is you can tailgate in the left lane all day, rather than lead the parade in the right line, if you get my drift.

My van has had antique plates for a decade and still languishes in it’s garage, all freshened up mechanically, with no place to go. Not too keen on USA in this era. In summer, home is the place to be, when you live in NS.

#114 mike from mtl on 08.09.18 at 11:25 am

#101 Linda on 08.09.18 at 8:26 am
…. It is pretty clear that they are a desired perk & much vitriol is hurled at government workers for having a DB plan, esp. when most workers have no pension plan whatsoever. So what is keeping people from trying to get these plans from their own employers? …
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Because it is simply not offered these days. Apart from dubious group plans (crappy mutual fund RRSP), private sector drones will probably never see a well funded DB plan. My assumption is employers simply don’t care as no one ‘saves’ anymore.

#115 Gravy Train on 08.09.18 at 11:41 am

#100 RedKnave on 08.09.18 at 8:19 am
“We should all stop and remember the titanium rule –
Rent that which depreciates. Buy that which appreciates.”

Er, um. The Titanium Rule is, “Treat others as they’d want you to treat them.” This rule is, of course, a variation on the Golden Rule: “Treat others as you’d want them to treat you.”

Oil tycoon J. Paul Getty said, “If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, lease it.” (So it’s the J. Paul Getty rule.)

Thanks for playing, though; we have some nice parting gifts. :)

#116 Yvrmc on 08.09.18 at 12:02 pm

#11 Howard …. all this supposed unearned wealth that Boomers have ? Guess what it gets passed down and will find its way to them soon enough…. wtf up !

#117 James on 08.09.18 at 12:13 pm

#45 SoggyShorts on 08.08.18 at 7:14 pm

#33 Smoking Man on 08.08.18 at 6:39 pm
Attention investors. Real and present danger.

Their coordinated banning of Alex Jones was just the start of censorship.
***********************************

“Now let’s see what Infowars says about censoring people on its own website:

If you violate these rules, your posts and/or user name will be deleted.

__________________________________________
So Smoking Man don’t invest in Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or for that matter any social media outlet. This is the nice thing thing about living in a free democracy. You have a choice old man!
As for Alex Jones wow, do you also believe that The Holocaust didn’t happen either? You probably read David Eckes stuff too.

#118 Intergalatic Deplorables on 08.09.18 at 12:18 pm

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
9m9 minutes ago

Space Force all the way!

My loyal troll on this blog – Smoking Alien – will be leading the Deplorable Space Force and in charge of disclosure………

#119 DM in C on 08.09.18 at 12:21 pm

$200k for the privilege of vacationing a few months a year in a trailer park.

Imagine the travel outside of US/Canada you could do for that.

We’re spending three weeks in Europe in excellent little boutique hotels in four countries for $10k CDN.

$200k.

What a waste — of time, money and life.

#120 to_be_frank on 08.09.18 at 1:13 pm

#121 SoggyShorts on 08.09.18 at 1:24 pm

#109 BobC on 08.09.18 at 10:26 am
#77 soggy shorts
You keep your money and I’ll keep my memories.
**************************
Nope, you are still missing the point. By investing money and using those proceeds I’m getting the same memories and keeping my money.

There are (of course) exceptions like buying used for less than you can rent, or if you RV 100+ days per year. Then again, if you are away from your house for >25% of the year, maybe that should be looked at too…..

BTW I also have other great memories too, like my trips to New Zealand, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Mexico that I took last year. Camping is awesome, but locking myself into 1 kind of vacation for a decade+ would not be something I’d ever want to do.

#122 Edward Bear on 08.09.18 at 1:30 pm

Imbibing Man may be interested to know that the Flat Earth Society is convening out in Edmonton this weekend. Myriad other delusions will emerge from attendees at the conflab. Collect the whole set of wing ding dandys! Lizard beings, phoney moon landings, Obama as Satan, Deep State, Illuminati control the world, chemtrails, anti- vax, fluoride for mind control etc. On site delirium tremens relief in the cocktail lounge.
Be there or be spherical!

Believe one believe ‘em all!

#123 BobC on 08.09.18 at 1:45 pm

#121 Soggy Shorts

You do have me beat there. I’ve only been to Italy, Spain and Germany. I don’t count Vietnam in ‘69-‘70 as it wasn’t a vacation. I love Canada and have been east (Fredericton and area) where my in laws are from but to rv around the western half of Canada in my 20’ van rv is something not to miss. I think it’s the best place ever.

#124 Wm on 08.09.18 at 1:52 pm

Let the woman live. She’s retired, has limited time left on this earth and she’s supposed to park her money for the next 10years? The “bed on wheels” is obviously not going to break her. Cmon.

#125 Record on 08.09.18 at 2:12 pm

This must be some sort of new record price, for a vancouver tear down:

$11m ask.

#126 RiverRun on 08.09.18 at 2:17 pm

Yesterday just returned from my RV trip with 4500 km in California, Oregon and Washington states. Bought a used class C 8 years ago but works great with a regular car maintenance. Drive up on to Crater Lake in Oregon, Mount St. Hellens in Washington in the night time. Look at the night sky and see the stars and galaxy with your family. It gives you something special beautiful memories. Forget about money.

#127 russell on 08.09.18 at 2:50 pm

Recreational snorkeling on King Street… hilarious Garth… I shake my head when I see these bloated shag trailers sitting in peoples driveways for 11 months of the year. The math breakdown you did on this I figure to be basic common sense but the basics get tossed like an empty beer can when it comes to emotion. What steers people into the ditch is this seeming inability to put the momentary emotion of buying something extravagant into a viewpoint that stretches further out in time than the shelf life of room temp seafood…

#128 Headhunter on 08.09.18 at 2:59 pm

always had campers great when kids were small. Now I roll in a massive 38 foot fifth wheel.. 4 tip outs sold the vette as I use this rig way more its build to live in full time. I take it all over the place. Heading Rosseau tomorrow. (hoping fire ban lifted)

Its @#$%^awesome

#129 jess on 08.09.18 at 3:04 pm

Collateral Peer To Peer Closes Its Doors 2018

TORONTO – The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) has, in collaboration with 11 financial regulators and related organizations from around the world, today announced its participation in the Global Finance Innovation Network (GFIN), a new initiative that aims to help innovative firms seeking to operate in multiple countries. The network also aims to enhance information-sharing between financial services regulators on innovation-related topics.

OSC Investor Alert: HQBroker

TORONTO – The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is warning investors that HQBroker is not registered to sell securities in Ontario.

HQBroker manages the website hqbroker.com, where it claims to offer a variety of trading solutions to retail and institutional investors through contracts for difference, derivatives and forex currency pairs.

The Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong recently issued an investor warning about HQBroker.

Cayman Court Secrecy: A Huge Red Flag for Foreign Investors & Clients

#130 MBA101 on 08.09.18 at 3:28 pm

Thanks for playing, though; we have some nice parting gifts. :)
======================

What you quoted is the “Platinum” rule, Garth. As I am sure you know, some people don’t know what they want, so the platinum rule doesn’t always work. The Titanium Rule challenges us to treat others the way they need to be treated… seems right up your ally!

Not my quote. I know better. – Garth

#131 GB on 08.09.18 at 3:34 pm

Agree with Howard #11.

These folks are tormented over a 200K RV when they have that sort of wealth?

And give me a break.

The boomer generation has more wealth than any other generation in history and more than any future generation will ever dream of.

They should stop dribbling over that RV, stop worrying over nothing and get on with enjoying what wealth they have generated.

Otherwise they are just being flat out goofy and probably even a little deranged to be sitting around anxiously worrying over wealth that very few in this country will ever experience.

Geesh.

#132 Gravy Train on 08.09.18 at 3:36 pm

#121 SoggyShorts on 08.09.18 at 1:24 pm
“Nope, you are still missing the point[….]”

Give it up, SoggyShorts. BobC didn’t read or understand Garth’s blog today, and your correct but fruitless explanations are completely lost on the poor boy.

You have enough patience and persistence to be a teacher, but I suspect you’d eventually be driven mad by the dopes in the class. :)

#133 James on 08.09.18 at 3:38 pm

Thanks Justin Trudeau for making the roads in Canada much more safe!

#134 James on 08.09.18 at 3:45 pm

Ha my parents friends sold their home years ago moved into a condo. After one year they promptly sold the concrete jail as they called it. They had enough and said we are hitting the road. They bough a massive bus type RV and travel all over North America including some stints down in Mexico. Summers in the North and winters in the south. My parents meet up with them two times a year either at our cottage or wherever they are near the GTA. They said that looking at four concrete walls and no green grass to walk on killed their spirit to live. Ive never been in a RV for travel it actually looks enticing.

#135 Ronaldo on 08.09.18 at 3:55 pm

#125 Record on 08.09.18 at 2:12 pm
This must be some sort of new record price, for a vancouver tear down:

$11m ask.

—————————————————————-
And here is the assessment. $2.993 million. Looking for a greater fool.

#136 Glengarry Girl on 08.09.18 at 4:26 pm

I’m in agreement with many of the adventurers commenting, RV living, if done right, is awesome. This couple can truly afford their purchase, and if they don’t like it they will recover when they sell it, they should relax and make some memories. Good on them for having the spunk to give it a go and in style to boot. My husband and I are experimenting with unconventional ways to enjoy our next stage of life. We are empty nesters with no house and very little Stuff and a decent savings. We bought a 27 foot trailer featured as a prop on the show Doomsday Prepper and took 11 months to go Off the Grid camping last year
travelling 35,000 miles. It was wonderful, life changing and life affirming. You can’t take the money with you and Time is the new Money. We were advised time and time again by happy and contented seniors to take a chance, have that adventure while you can. I read this blog because I believe a significant housing correction will occur in Canada combined with a downturn in the Economy. We are bucking the trend of our peers being stuck in a job you hate paying for stuff you cant afford. We are Free as a Bird. My husband does not fear the changing atmosphere of his career in mid life, he’s in control and we are completely mobile. If the job becomes too soul sucking or he gets let go we are ready for our next adventure. Shopping for a boat to live aboard this summer down South. There are thousands of people living and traveling full time in mobile homes, boats, RVs,Trailers, and vans. Most that I’ve met are Happy Campers. Like this blog professes all of the time, home ownership is not all that, renting has a lot of advantages. My husband is a high level consultant, we camp at a 4 star hotel in TO all week, expenses paid by his employer and on the weekends we live in our trailer on a horse ranch and Kayak on Lake Huron for an annual fee of just over 2000 CAD. Our young adult kids visit us at both locations, dining in the big city and camp fires at the Ranch on the weekends. Life is good, I highly recommend living Simply. There are so many possibilities in the future not being tied to a house and a job and a location.

#137 Gravy Train on 08.09.18 at 6:43 pm

#130 MBA101 on 08.09.18 at 3:28 pm
“What you quoted is the ‘Platinum’ rule, G[ravy]. As I am sure you know, some people don’t know what they want, so the platinum rule doesn’t always work. The Titanium Rule challenges us to treat others the way they need to be treated… seems right up your all[e]y.”

I think Immanuel Kant’s categorical imperative is best: “Act only according to that maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law.” — Gravy Train :)

#138 Jack on 08.10.18 at 11:18 am

Bought my 2007 four winns vista 258 4 years ago for 36k. Just sold it for 53k – that covered all my marina fees, maintenance, and gas for the 4 years i had it. Moral of the story? Don’t buy new – look for a deal on something used!