Risk off

That’s what the traders, hedgers, advisors and fund managers say to each other over fresh Sbux when they wake up and decide to trash your RRSP. And it’s one of those weeks.

Facebook screwed up with a massive personal data release and is being seriously spanked. Trump’s inching closer to firing Mueller, creating a full-blown crisis. Armies of children are about the shame the NRA and most of Congress. Putin and Xi just cemented their locks on power, becoming democratic dictators. Uber ran over a woman with an experimental self-driving car. Apple crushed suppliers’ stock with news it’s making its own screens. And a former ‘Sex in the City’ star is running to be governor of New York.

Phew. But there’s more. In Canada Doug Ford is up and Justin Trudeau is down. Jag The Good’s being accused of playing footsie with terrorists. And on Wednesday American interest rates swell for the fifth time in little more than a year, pushing our mortgages up. Risk on. Monday, by the way, saw the Dow shed 400 points and Bay Street give up over 150. The dollar staggered along at 76 and a half cents.

Much of this underscores the peril of owning individual stocks in your portfolio. Facebook, Tesla, Netflix, Amazon – sexy, visionary outfits whose shares often soar even when the companies underneath are profitless. Much safer to own the whole market through a broad-based ETF. Why hold a few stocks when one fund will deliver a position in the 500 largest?

Then there’s currency risk. Rising US rates and a worried Bank of Canada will further devalue the loonie – thus the long-standing suggestion here to keep 20% of your investment assets in dollar-denominated stuff. It’s part of being balanced. When one set of holdings falls, another ascends. Equilibrium.

And as for rising rates, they’re an inevitability, whatever befalls the Socialist Republicks of Hockeystan. So keeping 15% or so of your portfolio in rate-reset preferreds will protect you from declines in the bond holdings – which are necessary to reduce portfolio volatility. They gain in value along with the cost of money, plus pay you a dividend just for showing up.

This is how to invest in a volatile world, without chewing your nails or ordering Tums for lunch. Balance. Diversity. Liquidity. No stocks. No mutual funds. No deferred sales charges or high MERs. Never hire an advisor who sells you stuff and is paid on commission, or a guy who gets some money from you every time he makes a trade. When someone hands you a card saying they’re an insurance specialist, run. And never sign up for an RESP with one of those baby vultures. As for [email protected], I would like to share an email with you from a guy I will be trying to help (he’s an ashamed bank employee, and made a nice ask):

I am 21 years old working as a full-time Financial Advisor for (deleted) bank, making 40,000 yearly, single but my family depends on my income to help with bills and I go to school full-time as well. Total assets I have are 15,000 that’s fairly liquid, 7,000 of which is in my ownership plan stocks. My goals is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about. Putting clients and their finances first before the business you work for. So my request – and I know it sounds a bit out of the blue – I’d like to have some mentor ship. I’m interested in the field of Advising and Investing, but I am working for a company in the industry that only lets you sell what they want and not what’s best for the client which makes it difficult to learn past the bubble they’ve created. I’d also definitely like to get some Investing help of my own and I do understand if you are too busy, I just thought I would reach out to try.

Well, that speaks for itself. Good kid. Sincere. Wants to do the right thing and reaches out to a wizened fossil for knowledge. Kudos for Robert. But it also makes you wonder how many people wander into The Bank thinking they’ll get professional, seasoned, banky and knowledgeable help, only to end up in the clutches of a kid whose mandate is to sell them stuff. He admits to little life experience, scant personal assets or investing knowledge and being shackled in his job. Robert sits behind a plaque saying ‘Financial Advisor’. But he has no advice to give. It’s a fraud. I will try to rescue him.

The world is unlikely to get less volatile or more ethical. Investing today is absolutely necessary, but deeply scary. The best advice is to ignore the noise – including those strutting cowboys here who pretend to flip stocks – and set up a terminally-boring balanced and globally diversified portfolio. In the days to come I’ll review the assets and weightings. Your job is to calm down.

#1 TurnerNation on 03.19.18 at 6:29 pm

I dipped into the Alt currency market today. Technical trade only. Not the one backed by Man-buns but backed by Boomer Bunions.
Some real growth right there imo.

#2 jess on 03.19.18 at 6:30 pm

this is so pathetic ….

4month investigative journalist goes undercover
…”no point of fighting elections on facts it’s all about emotion.”

An undercover video report by Britain’s Channel 4 has captured footage of top executives at Cambridge Analytica, the controversial data-analytics firm that worked on Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, talking about sending Ukrainian “girls” to the home of an opposition candidate and covertly spreading propaganda online

#3 TRUMP on 03.19.18 at 6:33 pm

Sorry Garth…

No matter how hard you try.

YOU CAN’T FIX STUPID !!!!!

#4 friend to cats on 03.19.18 at 6:33 pm

How long until Robert’s first guest post :p

#5 Graeme on 03.19.18 at 6:34 pm

You are a great Canadian.
Thank you.

#6 Zapstrap on 03.19.18 at 6:34 pm

How could you not mention this in your list Garth?

#7 Andrewski on 03.19.18 at 6:34 pm

My son mentioned to me last week that when he went in to his financial institution’s branch an (equally young) employee introduced himself as an investment advisor & he recommended opening an RRSP. My son already has both a TFSA & RRSP, so he wisely declined the offer.

#8 Paul on 03.19.18 at 6:34 pm

Garth, you talk about broad based ETFs, but tease about owning a security that holds the S&P 500. With ETFs that hold the entire US stock market costing about as much as the 500 is there a preference these days or will either do?

Also if you can publish what you shared with the young gun that starred in your recent blog post that would be great. I enjoy learning too.

#9 Reximus on 03.19.18 at 6:35 pm

good advice

#10 Ex-Cowtown on 03.19.18 at 6:36 pm

Trump will never fire Mueller. Trump’s plan from the outset was to give Mueller so much rope that he hangs not only himself but all the Swamp Creatures around him. The astounding part is that the Swampies are so corrupt and arrogant that they’re blinded by the obvious.

McCabe flips on Comey. Comey flips on Lynch. Lynch flips on Holder and Hillary. Holder flips on Obama.

The sucking sound you hear will be that of the swamp draining. Pass the popcorn.

WRT to the Anti-Pipeline activists out on the left coast, I wonder how many were recruited by Russian troll farms and are too naive to know it? In Europe, Russian backed anti fracking activists have had a free run and now Putin has everyone by the energy throat.

Canada is no different. I’m quite certain that if the foreign $$ trail was made public the anti pipeline crowd would pull an Elvis and leave through the back door.

#11 FATLADY on 03.19.18 at 6:38 pm

And on a small island in the Caribbean.

Where wages are scarce but fruits, veggies, and a clear warm crystal clear beach are present.

They wonder why we even bother beaten ourselves up living a rat race among roaches, bulls, and bears.

#12 Stan Brooks on 03.19.18 at 6:39 pm

The news of the day.

Everyone recognizing the cognitive and intellectual limitations of T2 is now a (notorious) Russian troll.

No critique allowed any more, folks!

It is all Russian propaganda.

If somebody told me that (about the emerging propaganda and sheeple control techniques) 20 tears ago I would have sent him to a mental institution.

Hail T2!
Long live the Caesar!

#13 Howard on 03.19.18 at 6:39 pm

Is that a bear in the background?

#14 acdel on 03.19.18 at 6:40 pm

Good one Garth!

Sure am glad to see Pinocchio, Mr.Dress Up, The dancing Fool, Liar, T2, non liberal, the many hits to the head guy leading the so called Lib party (whatever names that I can print without being offensive or deleted) being so low in the polls. There is hope after all!

I just cannot resist; to all those so called Green West Coast hypocrites that drive, fly, boat, ferry, or buy anything made with petroleum products read this :

Touche! :)

#15 TheDood on 03.19.18 at 6:41 pm

“I will try to rescue him”. Bless your heart and soul.

#16 Samson Nights on 03.19.18 at 6:43 pm

Garth praising a Millennial.

All in all, a bit of good news today.

#17 Camille on 03.19.18 at 6:43 pm

Hi. Thank you for the wonderful advice, recommendations, and all. When you can, please tell us your best advice, words, to not sell after a drawdown. I know this affects many. What’s the best psychology, or sell and too bad for you?

#18 Big Bucks on 03.19.18 at 6:44 pm

Ahhhhh!!! Free dental,free drugs,free homegrown,free housing(coming next election)—-life is good!

#19 Lost...but not leased on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm

First in line..

#20 Bombarded on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm

Lots of noise about passive investing, and how ETFs are distorting the market and makes them no longer “efficient”. Is this the same noise about mutual funds back in the day? Are ETF’s weighted to the markets they are suppose to represent?

#21 Whatcha Minnie on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm

I sang “I’m So Excited” by The Pointer Sisters the other night at karaoke and rocked it! I almost never feel pride and the few things that do make me proud make me feel proud about them. But last night was one of the few times I didn’t so that’s nice. I’m trying not to dwell on how that

#22 Ian on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm

Just make sure you have a precious metals allocation.

Maximum diversification and inverse correlation.

Nope. – Garth

#23 Ed on 03.19.18 at 6:48 pm

Can you set up the weightings using dividend tax credit eligible equities that have suitable exposure to the USA & rest of world…its important for those of us retired and living off of eligible dividends in our investment accounts & GIC/bond interest in our RRSP’s.

#24 Stan Brooks on 03.19.18 at 6:49 pm

——————————–

That is an absolutely incorrect statement.

An analytics company used the friends information available for 50 k profiles to data mine data variable as per terms and conditions of use.

They were smart.
Nothing illegal here, move on.

You can purchase legally the entire Twitter history data for 1 million annually and do all sort of data mining/analytics on it.

No personal information is disclosed, period.
Only statistical.

What exactly is wrong with that?

#25 darren on 03.19.18 at 6:51 pm

first? prolly not

#26 brett on 03.19.18 at 6:53 pm

Garth / Blog dawgs I need help !

I am getting my mortgage ready tomorrow morning!!

Options are CIBC 3 year variable at 2.95
Or private broker 5 year fixed at 3.20. CIBC at 3.40.

(Also in Manitoba with large down payment, so not going broke )

Please help.

#27 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.19.18 at 6:53 pm

I’m so calm and relaxed….
Im thinking of changing my name to Dharma Bum Fartz

#28 ConVan on 03.19.18 at 6:55 pm

When I first went a major bank to ask for help to invest, they said they couldn’t provide any advice because I didn’t have enough money for a specialist. Then I just opened up a self directed account and made way more than I would have going through a bank. I’m probably one of the lucky ones though.

#29 acdel on 03.19.18 at 6:55 pm

Regarding the pic today, I kid you not that I witnessed the same thing happen a couple of years back just outside of Lake Louise, Park Ranger yelling at them to get back in there car with B.C. plates, seriously, most British Columbian’s know better then that, the highway was blocked for a short duration due to these types of morons.

#30 Smartalox on 03.19.18 at 6:57 pm

Mentorship?

Garth, that’s what I thought you provided here every day (except Saturdays).

Good luck talking some sense into the kid. Let’s hope he doesn’t poach your methods and start his own blog.

Or maybe let’s hope that he does, and that he takes some of the rabble with him, when he does.

#31 Stan Brooks on 03.19.18 at 6:57 pm

Robert,

You are sincere and honest kid.

You own less than 1 % of a shitty cardboard particles crack shack in Vaughan/Mississauga, the center of Canadian universe.

Which part of:

Take you money and run as far away as you can

did you not understand?

#32 ImGonnaBeSick on 03.19.18 at 6:58 pm

#125 Steve – good for you Steve. They’re catching the end of this wave. We’re going to need them. Hard times produce strong men. Strong men produce good times. Good times produce weak men. Weak men produce hard times….

#33 Hey Smoking man what you think ? on 03.19.18 at 7:04 pm

Garth / Blog dawgs I need help !

I am getting my mortgage ready tomorrow morning!!

Options are CIBC 3 year variable at 2.95
Or private broker 5 year fixed at 3.20. CIBC at 3.40.

(Also in Manitoba with large down payment, so not going broke )

Please help.

#34 MF on 03.19.18 at 7:05 pm

Where do bank investment arms like Nesbitt Burns or TD Waterhouse fall?

Most of these guys have a minimum capital requirement of mid six figures.

Anyone have any experience?

MF

#35 James Albert on 03.19.18 at 7:06 pm

#15 brett
In same boat, I have HSBC’s 5V 2.49% and 5F 3.19% in Ontraio.

I am leaning for 5V.

#36 Paul on 03.19.18 at 7:06 pm

What’s the difference between a financial advisOr and a fanancial advisEr

Vowels. – Garth

#37 Loonie Doctor on 03.19.18 at 7:12 pm

I remember going to our branch to open an account in my wife’s name to then link with her investing account. We dress and speak plainly. We got assigned to the young “advisor” to set us up. I thought it odd that they made her meet an advisor just to set up an account so I went with her in case they tried to sell her something. We manage our investments elsewhere, but the poor kid’s boss must have been checking up on our joint account and business accounts in the glass room next door. It was hilarious. I watched her eyes pop out of her head and she was over to our room tripping over herself to chat us up. We set our checking account and left.

#38 For those about to flop... on 03.19.18 at 7:16 pm

I will step up to the plate and try to help out the youngin’ as well.

Remember this Robert.

Bulls make money,bears like honey ,and pigs get turned into pulled pork sandwiches…

#39 When Will They Raise Rates? on 03.19.18 at 7:20 pm

#22 Ian on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm
Just make sure you have a precious metals allocation.

Maximum diversification and inverse correlation.

Nope. – Garth

—————-

“Full faith and credit.”

#40 Shawn on 03.19.18 at 7:22 pm

Very good advice. Banks are a total scam. It should be illegal what they do. High MERs, fund of funds, horrible asset allocation, fees everywhere.

Banks take your $. They don’t make you $.

#41 FOUR FINGERS WATSON on 03.19.18 at 7:25 pm

The Big Six Canadian banks will do well in a rising interest rate environment. They are “ protected and insured. “….. by you. DRIP the divvies and never sell. You will be safe and do quite well. When the dividend is over 4% and the payout ratio is 50ish % and the p/e ratio is 12ish % it is time to back up the truck.

#42 Penny Henny on 03.19.18 at 7:25 pm

Hey Whatcha Minnie. Just found out a friend has pancreatic cancer. Say a prayer for him please

#43 young & foolish on 03.19.18 at 7:29 pm

To be fair, the banks do offer trading accounts which you can access for free, and charge you $9 per trade …. and where you can load up on any stocks, or index funds available on North American markets …

#44 Cheekmonster on 03.19.18 at 7:35 pm

Netflix is up over 5000% over the last 10 years and 50% this year. If it’s a bubble it’s been on a hell of a run.

Gotta go and binge some of my favourite NFLX shows like half the people on this planet :)

#45 SimplyPut7 on 03.19.18 at 7:36 pm

——————-

While I’m hoping one day investors will go back to caring about companies that make a profit and not just come up with great ideas, I don’t think we are there yet.

Maybe a few rate hikes from Powell will wake people up.

#46 Trumpocalypse2018 on 03.19.18 at 7:37 pm

“Trump’s….creating a full-blown crisis”

“Putin and Xi just cemented their locks on power, becoming democratic dictators”

“Much of this underscores the peril…”

“…a volatile world”

“The world is unlikely to get less volatile…”

“… deeply scary.”

Garth, today you and I are brothers.

The Hell launched by the Ides of March is only picking up steam.

Horrors await.

(If the world is not in full blown crisis and sheltering in place, I will attempt to hold an emergency preppers meetup at Belfountain on April 1 or 2. More details to come)

#47 tccontrarian on 03.19.18 at 7:39 pm

22 Ian on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm

Just make sure you have a precious metals allocation.

Maximum diversification and inverse correlation.

Nope. – Garth
*******************************************

The fact that you have “zero” interest in allocating some capital to the oldest money-asset in the world, only shows that you’re making a ‘rookie’ error, Garth: emotional (non) investing.
Now, before you respond with some “bullion-licker” comment as you usually do, now is one of the best times in the last 2 decades to be overweight precious metals. Look at it as a hedge against fiat-currency dilution – a form of ‘insurance’ against QE etc.

TCC

ps. that bear in the background ought to be a warning – not only to the girl in the picture, but also to the investment community.
BTW, I sold my IWM put options for a nice profit today!

Owning the TSX through an ETF gives all the PM exposure anyone should have. Gold is a speculative, fallen asset. Stop selling. – Garth

#48 AK on 03.19.18 at 7:40 pm

“Trump’s inching closer to firing Mueller, creating a full-blown crisis.”
——————————————————————–
Mueller is a big waste of tax payers money….

#49 Hey Brett on 03.19.18 at 7:50 pm

#26 Brett

Garth / Blog dawgs I need help !

I am getting my mortgage ready tomorrow morning!!

Options are CIBC 3 year variable at 2.95
Or private broker 5 year fixed at 3.20. CIBC at 3.40.

(Also in Manitoba with large down payment, so not going broke )

Please help.
————————————————————————————————

This question has been addressed in many of Garth’s previous blog posts. If you had read them, you would know the anwer :)

#50 Morris on 03.19.18 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for helping out!

#51 Terry on 03.19.18 at 7:55 pm

“Your job is to calm down.”…. I always am.

All this markets volatility means nothing when you’re portfolio is well balanced and diversified. I’ve been fully invested for decades and will continue to be for a couple of decades more. Lots of ups and downs and I’m still growing my portfolio. Yawn…..nothing new here.

#52 Pavi Toor on 03.19.18 at 7:55 pm

I tweeted this today. Please consider doing a future article on this topic. I know many parents and grandparents of children with disabilities would find the info useful.

Child diagnosed with #Autism? Concerned about his/her financial future?
1) Make RESP’s contributions. Max life of plan is 35 years. Years of tax free growth
2) Transfer RESP$ to RDSP and or TFSA
3) Invest in ETFs to generate monthly/quarterly income

#53 RyYYZ on 03.19.18 at 7:59 pm

Hey, Garth – what kind of dog is Bandit? I thought maybe Samoyed, but I’m not sure that’s right. He (or she) is a beaut, anyway.

In the shelter I had no idea what the injured, shaved and scared dog was. He turned out to be a purebred Chow. We both lucked out. – Garth

#54 Niagara Region on 03.19.18 at 7:59 pm

I went to my bank about 3 weeks ago, where a 30-something-year-old male financial adviser told me (a 50-something-year-old women) not to wait to buy a house but to buy one now because “Real estate never declines in value.” After a debate where I had to explain when dips in Canadian real estate had occurred in the second half of the twentieth century (about which he was completely unaware), I finally asked if he had recently happened to buy an investment property. Yes, he had bought a investment condo in Vaughan. So when I returned home, I forwarded to him recent figures on property value declines in Vaughan. The moral of the tale: as others have said, don’t take seriously the advice of a bank’s financial advisor, especially regarding real estate. Also, beware of those condescending/arrogant-type of bank managers, for they seem the most likely to give bad advice (including one who told me when the Canadian-U.S. dollar was on par not to purchase a sizeable amount of U.S. money, and I foolishly listened to him).

#55 Elcaminokid on 03.19.18 at 8:00 pm

Done with real estate here. Call the landlord for any issue. Bathroom fan gone…fill out a sheet…Fixed! Lightbulb out…fill out a sheet…fixed! Toilet not flushing properly…fill out a sheet…fixed! After owning real estate for 20+ years…I have no worries renting. It is the way to go.

#56 For those about to flop... on 03.19.18 at 8:00 pm

As usual,I’m not sure the Orange Octopus has thought the hiring of Mike Pompeo as Secretary of State completely through.

Sure the dude can probably do something on the Korean Peninsula.

Maybe even have a crack at the situation in the Middle East.

What happens when diplomacy is needed in Europe?

Did you see what happened to Pompeo last time Mt.Vesuvius blew up…

#57 SoggyShorts on 03.19.18 at 8:03 pm

#26 brett on 03.19.18 at 6:53 pm
Garth / Blog dawgs I need help !

I am getting my mortgage ready tomorrow morning!!

Options are CIBC 3 year variable at 2.95
Or private broker 5 year fixed at 3.20. CIBC at 3.40.

****************************
Garth and many here are quite convinced that rates will rise more than that tiny spread this year, and much more in 3-5 years.
I’m pretty sure “Take the fixed” is the response you’ll get most on this blog (and I agree)

#58 S.Bby on 03.19.18 at 8:04 pm

A 21 year old “financial advisor” huh? Barely old enough to shave.
There’s another reason right there to not use a bank.

#59 akashic record on 03.19.18 at 8:04 pm

#2 jess on 03.19.18 at 6:30 pm

this is so pathetic ….

4month investigative journalist goes undercover
…”no point of fighting elections on facts it’s all about emotion.”

—-

So is this…

#60 Reality is stark on 03.19.18 at 8:06 pm

Here is a look at tomorrow and your future taxes.
Feminism puts power where it belongs, 18-35 year old women (their happiness improves). Women between the ages of 40-65 have seen a 415% increase in prescription drug use such as Prozac in 30 years as their happiness wanes. The response from men to feminism has been to avoid marriage. Since women controlled 70% of male salaries during marriage (through family consumption) a decline in the marriage rate has a profound negative financial effect on women. The women recently elected want that money and lifestyle replaced. Child care will be free, dental care for children under 18 will be free, single mothers will receive $2000 per month plus $500 per month for each additional child.
Taxes are going significantly higher in this country and you cannot stop it. These changes are guaranteed. Sell your real estate holdings (while the gains are still tax free) and get out of here ASAP!

#61 lawnboy on 03.19.18 at 8:07 pm

How do you tell if it’s a black or a grizzly bear?

1. If you climb a tree and it follows, it’s a black.
2. If it pushes the tree over…..

You can’t outrun a bear market!

#62 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.19.18 at 8:10 pm

@#39 Loonie Doc
“We manage our investments elsewhere, but the poor kid’s boss must have been checking up on our joint account and business accounts in the glass room next door. It was hilarious. I watched her eyes pop out of her head….”
+++++

Yep had the exact same thing happen to me a few years back.
Sat. morning, unshaven, dressed like a slob. I went into the ban to deposit a years worth of coins (a PAIN in the farttube).
Anywho.
The kid looks at my balance and just about craps his pantaloons.
“Sir, I see you have quite a bit of money in your account and have you ever considered…..blah blah blah.”
“Save the sales pitch”, I replied, “I have an investment advisor and I’m moving this money next week….”

Shut….him….down.

#63 Common sense on 03.19.18 at 8:13 pm

The only commissioned sales person you should ever take advice from is the one who is semi retired and isn’t pressed for money.

If not, blame yourself as they sure are not sincerely thinking of your well being. Ever.

#64 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.19.18 at 8:18 pm

On another note.
Got the scam phone call today “Your taxes are in arrears! If you dont pay us we will be sending the police!”
I laughed and said, ” Tutty Ka! Koo-sir-rah. Tutty Ka!”
and then hung up.
Lets just say Mr South East asian scammer wasnt happy with what I told him……. :)

Blog Dogs .
Feel free to use this phrase repeatedly if you recieve the same scam phone call.

#65 Blackdog on 03.19.18 at 8:21 pm

Garth, re:#60, why do you put up with this anti-female commentary? This is not a lone comment that just slipped by, but a regular occurrence, and very disrespectful to your female readers. Shame on you for not getting it.

Looked like humour to me. – Garth

#66 MPAC on 03.19.18 at 8:26 pm

@ Brett #26

Garth / Blog dawgs I need help !
I am getting my mortgage ready tomorrow morning!!
Options are CIBC 3 year variable at 2.95
Or private broker 5 year fixed at 3.20. CIBC at 3.40.
————————————————————–
Go with the 5 year fixed at 3.20% all day!

#67 akashic record on 03.19.18 at 8:30 pm

#56 For those about to flop…

What happens when diplomacy is needed in Europe?

—-

Probably nothing remotely as bad what happened in Libya, where a functioning country was destabilized by a supposedly competent secretary of state, under the watch of her Nobel Peace Prize winner boss, to the point that slavery returned and people are escaping by boatloads every day since then.

#68 acdel on 03.19.18 at 8:31 pm

#61 lawnboy

Funny!

But Grizs do climb trees, big hump on the shoulder blades give it away, if they want you they got you. Blacks, better chance of scaring them away but like a griz, if they have you in their sites you better pray.

Carry bear spray, stay in a group, do not run, make lots of noise, but if you come between mama and her cubs, pray, meditate, or whatever your beliefs or religion is..

Ask any hunter how aware and careful they are when they take down a legal hunt, those crafty grizs and blacks have learned to recognize a rifle shot means food. Clever creatures they are!

#69 akashic record on 03.19.18 at 8:37 pm

#65 Blackdog on 03.19.18 at 8:21 pm

Looked like humour to me. – Garth

Definitely.

Just double-checked, also in full compliance with the 50% gender humour quota.

Let the sunshine bring smile on your face – if everything else fails.

#70 tccontrarian on 03.19.18 at 8:39 pm

———————————————————-
First of all, I’m not ‘selling’ – you are the one with an investment firm, not I. I’m just sharing my opinion of things I believe to be true. Some may agree, some may not; and I’m totally fine with it.

Second, you confuse ‘highly-volatile’ with ‘speculative’. Gold is an asset class with a MUCH longer history than the SP500 or TSX.

Third, owing a sector ETF within the TSX (ie. XGD), is not a speculation, as most of the companies have cash-flow and/or profitable businesses.

Fourth, buying a ‘fallen asset’ is precisely when I like to be buying (as opposed to buying an ‘inflated asset’ like RE which you’ve been warning people about for years). This aligns perfectly well with the ‘buy-low, sell-high’ mantra I like to adhere to!

TCC

Go peddle somewhere else. Holding gold is 100% inappropriate for 95% of the population. No different that buying shares in a speculative company with no earnings and no dividends. – Garth

#71 ImGonnaBeSick on 03.19.18 at 8:53 pm

#70 TCC – jeez TCC, learn how to take a warning… Why people insist on poking bears, I have no idea.

#72 NoName on 03.19.18 at 8:55 pm

#24 Stan Brooks on 03.19.18 at 6:49 pm

——————————–

That is an absolutely incorrect statement.

They were smart.
Nothing illegal here, move on.

No personal information is disclosed, period.
Only statistical.

What exactly is wrong with that?

Nothing other than fact that Facebook wrote terms and condition.

Few yrs back it wasn’t unusual when new version of Facebook was launched that privacy settings were removed. And all those “wall app” are more sinister than Facebook its self…

I didn’t surprise me a bit when makr zukeburg bought all suranding properties and let them.sit empty to protect privacy of his family.

Or now forgotten pissing contest between google/shcdmitt and c-net. Funny 6-ish yrs later steel banned on G campus.

#73 Niagara Region on 03.19.18 at 8:55 pm

re: Blackdog #65 post

——————————————————
I agree that the anti-women comments are a regular occurrence and discourage us women who wish to learn more about finance when reading the comments.

Moreover, a lot of the stuff posted about women seems to be mere projection (in the Freudian sense). In less polite parlance, this stuff seems to spew directly from the colon. There must be other websites where such anti-woman commentary would be more appropriate.

Btw, after the recent barrage comments on this site about what women want, I want to note that most of my friends are female professionals in their 30s to 50s and are single. We don’t need (or want) any guy’s money, and we do not have kids. I happily married a pauper because he was kind to me and treats women with respect.

And – just a hunch – he has no sense of humour? – Garth

#74 ben on 03.19.18 at 8:56 pm

Niagara Region – just goes to show. Working as a financial adviser in a bank used to be an okay job. Now it’s a crappy job and they get crappy candidates.

Met a guy tonight who started going on about bitcoin, when asked by a woman what she could use it for, he said “you can exchange it with USD”. Good grief. Bitconnnnnnect!

#75 Pete on 03.19.18 at 9:04 pm

$1.15M and not big enough to swing a cat…land value only…

If you’re waiting for an unwinding, it’s going to take a while…invest for a while.

#76 Newcomer on 03.19.18 at 9:12 pm

#68 acdel on 03.19.18 at 8:31 pm

———

I’ve walked between a black bear and her cubs (not on purpose) outside Banff. I just walked away slowly. She was cool about it. I see bears quite often in Burnaby. I give them space. They never do more than look at me. There is more reason to fear bear markets than bears.

#77 Ian on 03.19.18 at 9:16 pm

Garth…the materials category only counts for 11% of the TMX index and there isn’t one gold in the top 10 holdings. That’s hardly exposure. If financials get crushed that’s 35% of the index.

And the largest caps aren’t the best ones anyway. Kirkland Lake and Dynacor are.

You Big Alpha guys are so amusing. – Garth

#78 acdel on 03.19.18 at 9:17 pm

For the record I did understand Garth’s pic of the day; look out people, prepare, 2019 is not going to be kind!

Oh, for those who do not know, that is a Griz in the pic!

Good night dogs!

#79 For those about to flop... on 03.19.18 at 9:21 pm

#67 akashic record on 03.19.18 at 8:30 pm
#56 For those about to flop…

What happens when diplomacy is needed in Europe?

—-

/////////////////

I miss Boom.

We were kindred spirits.

When I used to write posts like that one he would have a good laugh…

M64WI

#80 TurnerNation on 03.19.18 at 9:26 pm

When that kid’s done his first Bear market the only position he’ll take is the fetal one.

M42ON

#81 Robert Muller on 03.19.18 at 9:30 pm

Just taking a bit of time off from harassing the Trumpsters.. Things are sure looking a bit complicated at the moment. Should I stay or should I go? You gatta let me know….

Might make it down to the spa a bit more often when this blows over, get a bit of color back in the old face..

#82 Our Pal Val on 03.19.18 at 9:55 pm

Hi Garth, is there a way of investing with you that has a low dollar entry point? Say 50 k

Email me some time. – Garth

#83 Doug in London on 03.19.18 at 9:58 pm

@lawnboy, post #61:
True, you can’t outrun a bear market but you can coexist with one in complete harmony by scooping up stocks or ETFs that are on sale. Who says you can’t have Boxing Day sales around the time of the spring equinox?

#84 Crossborthershopper on 03.19.18 at 10:00 pm

#60 I totally agree with u

#85 Our Pal Val on 03.19.18 at 10:01 pm

The Feds next surprise https://nypost.com/2018/03/12/the-fed-could-have-a-surprise-in-store-for-wall-street/amp/

#86 acdel on 03.19.18 at 10:10 pm

#76 Newcomer

Well, as you know, one can never predict the outcome; I sure am glad that it was favorable in your experience, could have been a lot worse. Enjoy nature, just be aware and prepared!

#87 Gravy Train on 03.19.18 at 10:13 pm

(Spoiler alert) According to the movie Darkest Hour, Elizabeth Layton, the personal secretary to Winston Churchill from 1941 to 1945, pointed out to Winston that the way he was doing his V for Victory sign (palm in) in the poorer quarters means “Up yer bum!” :)

#88 Andrew Woburn on 03.19.18 at 10:14 pm

Fake News Again on 03.18.18 at 10:39 pm
Andrew Woburn on 03.18.18 at 4:15 pm
Kevin on 03.17.18 at 3:27 pm
Thank you, Ryan. I agree.

Regarding the US, at what point does the political nonsense going on impact the economy and stock market? Any insights on this?
===================

Clearly you have ZERO IDEA why President Trump won……

====================

Probably because he is a raised middle finger to every ethical and governance standard that has been evolved over centuries to nourish a healthy and civilized society.

Probably because he managed to find 80,000 people just like you in the right electoral districts.

#89 Grey Dog on 03.19.18 at 10:22 pm

Yup, we’re of the boomer generation that would line up in the RRSP Lineup at the bank every year believing the bank was working for us, just hamsters on the wheel believing invest 10% of your income and all will be well in retirement. Every other commercial on TV was for “Freedom 55”. Unfortunately when 09 hit and husband was given the golden handshake at age 57 we really looked at our nest egg that was being incubated in that Green bank all those years and choked!

A financial advisor was recommended as we had a package to invest. We certainly wished we had found him years ago…

The good news is at 65 husband is fully retired with a nest egg that allows us to have a very comfortable retirement, no change in standard of living.

Financial advisor made the difference for us.

#90 Andrew Woburn on 03.19.18 at 10:30 pm

“Protectionism is a hollow policy that only protects governments; it does not produce sustainable growth or jobs.

Henry George said, “What protectionism teaches us, is to do to ourselves in time of peace what enemies seek to do to us in time of war.” ”

– Trump’s Tariffs Will Harm U.S. Steel Companies, Not Help Them

#91 Ace Goodheart on 03.19.18 at 10:34 pm

Suggestions for SP 500?

VFV? Tracks like a bloodhound, straight up like something out of Madoff investments. I couldn’t find anything closer to the index in the long term.

#92 PastThePeak on 03.19.18 at 10:48 pm

Garth, thanks as always for the info.

When you do your subsequent posts, it would be interesting to get your view on the foreign currency content. Given Canada is a small market, should one not target higher than 20% – perhaps up to 50% (split between US and Euro/RoW).

You can and should have lots of non-maple, but without abandoning the currency in which you live. – Garth

#93 3 or 5 on 03.19.18 at 10:55 pm

#26 brett

If there is any chance (10+%) of moving and selling the house in a few years, then definitely go for the 3 yr.

Lenders will try to screw you over if you stop your mortgage early.

Sometimes selling will let you get out of your obligations towards them, but not always.
Check that fineprint.

#94 Newbie Dad on 03.19.18 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for mentioning RESP’s. Wife just had oir first pup (it’s a boy!) . Is the the RESP the best way to go? Are there any other options to consider?

#95 Tccontrarian on 03.19.18 at 11:24 pm

Now I get it. My ‘problem’ is that I aim to be in the top 5%…whereas everything here is geared towards the 95%.
So, I guess we’re talking apples and oranges.
If I’m ever in Toronto, I’ll come by your office for free coffee and donuts.
Not trying to antagonize you, really!

TCC

#96 wildeightz on 03.19.18 at 11:26 pm

Garth I see a niche product for you.
It’s a magic 8 ball, like the old toy, but with generic investment recommendations. The nice lads at the bank will all have one on their desks when a client ask for advice, they pass it to them, and say ask Garth.
Here are some sample answers same as original 8 ball but still good
● It is certain
● It is decidedly so
● Without a doubt
● Yes definitely
● You may rely on it
● As I see it, yes
● Most likely
● Outlook good
● Yes
● Signs point to yes
● Reply hazy try again
● Ask again later
● Better not tell you now
● Cannot predict now
● Concentrate and ask again
● Don’t count on it
● My reply is no
● My sources say no
● Outlook not so good
● Very doubtful

#97 PastThePeak on 03.19.18 at 11:27 pm

#10 Ex-Cowtown on 03.19.18 at 6:36 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think it is quite plausible that foreign interests, which have a commercial/political (not environmental) objective, have taken a very active role in supporting Canadian environmental and activist groups, with the sole purpose of blocking Canadian resource development.

US, Russian, ME – all possible in directing $$ (via 3rd parties) into Canadian NGOs to do everything possible to impair Canadian resource industries, & increase costs of electricity which impacts manufacturing. There is no legislation that requires the NGOs to show who donates money.

Who was the head of one of Canada’s largest environmental organizations – the WWF-Canada – from 2008-2012? None other than Gerald Butts, the “man behind the curtain” in T2’s gov’t. Previous to that he had a similar role with Dalton McGuinty’s Ontario Libs.

What has been his objective for two decades – shutting down Canada’s energy and resource extraction industries. It isn’t too far of a stretch that foreign money as aided and influenced a man at the centre of Canadian public policy. That money has not come from just “benevolent environmentally conscious Canadians”.

…people need to connect the dots…

#98 rental property math on 03.19.18 at 11:34 pm

#55 Elcaminokid on 03.19.18 at 8:00 pm

———————
The toilet fix – 5 min
Light bulb – 5-10 min if you have to grab a ladder
Changing bathroom fan – half hour

and I just bought my tools last year.
Sacrificing a home of your own to relieve yourself of those duties… only to inherit someone like me. Someone who will put bandaid fixes on until you get renovicted and have to find another place.

#99 rental property math on 03.19.18 at 11:38 pm

#74 ben on 03.19.18 at 8:56 pm

—————-
Bitconnect was the funniest thing to ever happen.
Everyone should watch that clip

Not sure how people took financial advice from two guys with dreads, a 17 year old, and the man who was clearly displaying his psychosis on stage.

You couldn’t even google bitconnect without the words scam or ponzi coming up.

#100 morrey on 03.20.18 at 12:01 am

It is about to get a little worse before we head for fresh air. So get ready for financial volatility.

real estate for single detached homes will continue down, condos prices ae solid and trending up in the short term. A year from now…who knows.

#101 Myra Andrews on 03.20.18 at 1:07 am

Greater Vancouver Housing Stats originally posted by realtor PaulB

March 19 New 307 Sold 120 TI: 8862

March 16 New 158 Sold 117 TI: 8743
March 15 New 154 Sold 127 TI: 8737
March 14 New 231 Sold 140 TI: 8749
March 13 New 277 Sold 159 TI: 8688
March 12 New 327 Sold 139 TI: 8642

March 9 New 139 Sold 91 TI: 8510
March 8 New 196 Sold 118 TI: 8496
March 7 New 204 Sold 99 TI: 8442
March 6 New 246 Sold 130 TI: 8372
March 5 New 316 Sold 104 TI: 8344

#102 Stan Brooks on 03.20.18 at 1:07 am

More ‘free’ stuff promises in a record indebted province.

Ontario’s NDP outlines plans for full dental coverage:

Except it is not free, it will be paid for by workers,
employers, and ‘the rich’ (read middle class and upper middle class).

Note: it will not cover unemployed and kids. So it is not universal. It is also not full, only covering minor dental work.

Considering the real costs of dental exam and cleaning, fillings, there is no way for the money provisioned to be sufficient. So there would have to be caps on procedures, for example cover $ 50 for cleaning by the plan and if it costs $ 150, you pay the rest.

This is getting scary. Outlining the potential complexity (I won’t go in details on the impracticality of the proposal as not to sound negative; remember, people hate negativity) and cost of implementation as well as questionable benefits makes a simple tax credit much better choice.

But hey, let’s stay positive, some more taxes mean more jobs, maybe you will get something in return.

#103 Blackdog on 03.20.18 at 1:13 am

#104 Damifino on 03.20.18 at 2:24 am

#89 Grey Dog

——————————–

#105 April in SA. on 03.20.18 at 2:29 am

In your upcoming explanations, would you please spend some detailed time on bonds? I don’t understand bonds. We used to buy Canada Bonds through work, but I know that’s just the Bouncy Castle for the world of bonds. Brace yourself: I don’t see how bonds are different from stocks. I know, I know – that’s why I’m asking.

#106 Stan Brooks on 03.20.18 at 6:08 am

#92 PastThePeak on 03.19.18 at 10:48 pm
Garth, thanks as always for the info.

———————————-

I could not agree more as a general rule.

Considering the circumstances though and the fact that life under the loonie is rather survival, specially the perspective for the economy for the next decade or two, I would cautiously limit my exposure to it to minimum, 5 % if you live outside Canada, 10 % if you live there, just in case.
Mostly mining shares in my case, agriculture, maybe a RAIT or two.

The rest in Euro, emerging markets, then US. in that order. My humble opinion.

I firmly believe that we have not seen the true demise of the loonie yet, with potential to hit 50 or even 45 euro-cents in the new few years.

Against USD is harder to predict, due to orange guy unpredictability but maybe 0.65 even 0.60 USD.

Maybe even lower as Poloz, the BoC boss is really, really good.
I watched some videos with him and also with the CMHC boss and to tell you guys/galls, these guys are really, really capable and resourceful/to a degree that scares me and I am normally hard to scare.

But hey, the good news is that CPI will still read 1.2 % so Mark will breath freely and wait for his Godot/deflation to arrive
(hint – ‘Waiting for Godot’ is a play/not a hickey team, where Godot never arrives, tragicomedy in 2 parts like our credit bubble – the first part of which – the inflation of the bubble – the funny part is behind us and now we are facing the 2nd part – the deflation of the bubble – the deleveraging – the destruction of the currency- the tragic part/facing the music in other words.

#107 Ace Goodheart on 03.20.18 at 6:55 am

FB is a data mining service that has somehow convinced the public that it is a photo sharing site. Look here:

All it takes is for the “meme” to circulate that FB is actually secretly selling its users’ data to advertisers, and the whole operation could collapse into little bits and bytes of uselessness.

Problem is, it’s not a secret. Millennials are not very smart. It is a completely open secret that FB just mines its users’ data and sells that information to advertising companies, so they can stream ads at you on your computer. This is not a secret at all.

Watch now as everyone acts surprised. Young people! Sheesh!

#108 Ian on 03.20.18 at 7:34 am

Might even be warm enough then to have ice cream.

I’ll even bring Garth a copy of this book:

Just don’t try to pay for a Rocky Road double-scoop with bullion. – Garth

#109 Jamie D on 03.20.18 at 7:48 am

Sex in the city ? Not in this reality.It is Sex and the city in this reality. Check out the Mandela effect, you will be shocked!

#110 jess on 03.20.18 at 7:54 am

“Trump’s inching closer to firing Mueller, creating a full-blown crisis.”
——————————————————————–
Mueller is a big waste of tax payers money….

———————————–
pass transparency laws regarding campaign finance

do you think trump will sign this?

..”we have introduced the bipartisan True Incorporation Transparency for Law Enforcement Act to require applicants forming corporations to include basic information about the actual human beings who own the companies. The states would maintain and periodically update this information and make it available to law enforcement officers who present proper subpoenas or search warrants.”

06.28.17
Whitehouse Introduces Bipartisan TITLE Act to Address Proliferation of Anonymous Shell Corporations in U.S.

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse today joined colleagues from both sides of the aisle to introduce legislation that would make it more difficult for criminals and foreign enemies to hide assets from tax authorities and law enforcement. The True Incorporation Transparency for Law Enforcement (TITLE) Act

02.06.18
Whitehouse to Lead Judiciary Committee Hearing on Fighting Crime and Corruption Aided by Shell Corporations

Currently, applicants can form corporations and other business entities in the United States without disclosing the people who really own the companies.
———————

Nov 8, 2017 – Hundreds of British shell companies are implicated in nearly £80bn of money laundering scandals, according to researchers calling for an overhaul of the UK’s “light touch” … It described the UK’s defence mechanisms as “woefully inadequate” with just six staff in Companies House policing 4m companies.

#111 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.20.18 at 8:17 am

@#73 Niagara Region
“the anti-women comments”
++++
Some comments are cringeworthy in their dinosaur way but i dont think its an epidemic.

If you want to see anti male bashing just watch 90% of TV commercials broadcast today.
Where men are portrayed as bumbling idiots “rescued” by their wiser, smarter female spouses, coworkers, siblings…..
And it seems the rare time a women does something stupid in a tv commercial she is chastised by…another woman.
If you doubt what I say. Watch any tv commercial with an objective mind and then ask yourself, ” If the acting roles were reversed, how would I react to these commercials?”

In ending I can only suggest, it you dont like the “commercials” provided here……change the channel.

#112 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.20.18 at 8:20 am

@#109 jamie D
“Sex in the city”
++++++++

Nope. Politics in the city.

#113 crowdedelevatorfartz on 03.20.18 at 8:29 am

@#104 damfino
“My standard of living did change at retirement. It got significantly better. Plus, no more horrid meetings.”
+++++

What?
You mean those Six Sigma Blackbelts droning on and on and on about theoretical situations that are always resolved perfectly were wasting your time?

Those endless meetings where a superior would talk about “employees concerns are important” , “synergies”, “empowerment”, and “bottom up pyramid” structures until someone asked them a real question about understaffing issues, zero wage increases, cutbacks…..that they couldnt or wouldnt answer.

Or the endless meetings to discuss…more meetings? Usually about lack of productivity?
HR meetings? Safety Meetings?

Those dreadful meetings?

Canada. Hewers of paperwork. Drawers of e-mails.

#114 Doghoused on 03.20.18 at 8:50 am

#82 – what Email address should we use Garth? I’ve tried the Garth-at-Turner investments one twice now and no response. Maybe I’m not the most eloquent of email composers, but even a short response from the great Garth Turner would have been nice;)

Always get me here: [email protected]. And, yup, I respond. – Garth

#115 Capt. Serious on 03.20.18 at 8:57 am

#107 Ace Goodheart on 03.20.18 at 6:55 am

You think only Millenials are using FB? Man, it’s MomBook most of the time. FB is the place to catch up on what 30 to 50 something parents are doing with their kids. It’s like proud Moms on steroids showing off how great family life is 24/7. Plus Dads on Father’s Day.

#116 Tater on 03.20.18 at 9:17 am

#47 tccontrarian on 03.19.18 at 7:39 pm
22 Ian on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm

Just make sure you have a precious metals allocation.

Maximum diversification and inverse correlation.

Nope. – Garth
*******************************************

TCC

BTW, I sold my IWM put options for a nice profit today!

—————————————————————-

Hahahahaha. You’re trading options? This’ll end badly.

Here’s a free tip: If you know where the market is going, selling options is the move.

And ETF is an exchange-traded fund. It is not an option. – Garth

#117 Niagara Region on 03.20.18 at 9:23 am

QUESTION RE: DICO COVERAGE FOR ONTARIO CREDIT UNIONS

Does anyone know how trustworthy the Ontario Deposit Insurance Corporation of Ontario (DICO) is? One of my credit unions is trying to get me to deposit more money there, explaining that (as of January 1, 2018) deposits are insured up to $250,000, instead of the former $100,000. It strikes me as odd that deposits at the regular banks are insured by CDIC only to $100,000, while deposits at Ontario credit unions are now insured by DICO to $250,000. (Thank you to whomever has insights.)

#118 Tater on 03.20.18 at 9:32 am

If you are middle-aged, living and working in Canada, likely the largest asset you have is the present value of your future earnings. And that is denominated in CAD. This gives a clue that you should have most of your retirement funds in a currency other than CAD. Get some USD and some EUR and invest in the capital markets around the world.

#119 dharma bum on 03.20.18 at 9:32 am

#27 crowdedelevatorfartz

I’m so calm and relaxed….
Im thinking of changing my name to Dharma Bum Fartz
——————————————————————–

I think that we’d make a great team!

#120 Tater on 03.20.18 at 9:49 am

#116 Tater on 03.20.18 at 9:17 am
#47 tccontrarian on 03.19.18 at 7:39 pm
22 Ian on 03.19.18 at 6:47 pm

Just make sure you have a precious metals allocation.

Maximum diversification and inverse correlation.

Nope. – Garth
*******************************************

TCC

BTW, I sold my IWM put options for a nice profit today!

—————————————————————-

Hahahahaha. You’re trading options? This’ll end badly.

And ETF is an exchange-traded fund. It is not an option. – Garth
—————————————————————–

“BTW, I sold my IWM put options for a nice profit today!”

That was really the line I was referring to.

#121 AfterTheHouseSold on 03.20.18 at 10:05 am

#108 Ian
“Who is in for an Opening Day Blog Dog meeting at the general store 1 April? High noon? It’s a Sunday!”

Last years Blog Dog meeting at the store took place in May on the weekend before the 2-4 long weekend. If this is to become an annual event then its best to keep a consistent date.

You’re apt to get a better response as the weather is much better in May to bring out the motorcycle enthusiasts. Also better to sit outside with that ice cream cone.

#122 Gravy Train on 03.20.18 at 10:39 am

Hey, Smokey. Here are some interesting facts: Republican political-science scholars rank Trump as a bottom-five president. Oh, and they rank Obama in the top half of all presidents! Interestingly, Nixon is not in the bottom ten. :)

#123 Milly on 03.20.18 at 11:00 am

Funny you mention bank financial advisors.

When I went into a bank to get a self directed investment account, the “advisor” was probably around my age (23) and was trying to convince me to invest in Tesla, Facebook, Netflix etc… and day-trade.

#124 Tbone on 03.20.18 at 11:00 am

You don’t have to out run the bear , you only have to out run the guy next to you. Same analogy goes for out swimming sharks .

I often referred to this when guys in the sales office were complaining about the one guy not pulling his weight.
I said it was good to have one guy in the group screwing the pooch when we had a downturn in business.

#125 Another Deckchair on 03.20.18 at 11:20 am

re: 107 Ace Goodheart

“FB is a data mining service that has somehow convinced the public that it is a photo sharing site.”

Of course it is. Google is a data mining service, as is Yahoo, and… It’s us that is being sold for $$.

Background: Last Sunday AM listening to CBC’s “Fresh Air” program, the host said something like “I’ll put a link up at cbcfreshair in twitter and facebook”.

Question #1: Is it too expensive to have a staff member keep the CBC website up to date? Probably.

I see a trend of groups moving from blogs such as this, to Facebook and equivalents.

All companies want to retain users; Facebook is but one wanting to put a wall around the Internet by giving a user-friendly portal – the one with the best portal wins world domination.

Question #2: who controls more people, Trump or Zukerberg? Answer is obviously NOT Trump…

#126 Guy in Calgary on 03.20.18 at 11:22 am

What bank pays $40k/year to their FA’s? I believe he is a FSM, not a FA.

#127 For those about to flop... on 03.20.18 at 11:30 am

Recent Sale Report/ Realtor Assistance Needed

These guys finally met their fate 9 days ago after getting carried away during Spring Fling 2016 ,paying 1.62 for a house with an assessment of 1.30 at the time.

Were asking 1.35,let’s see what the damage is…

493 Shannon Way, Delta paid 1.62 March 2016 ass 1.3 now asking 1.35

May 19:$1,750,000
Aug 10: $1,620,000
Change: – 130000.00 7%

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Feel free to make a donation.

Flop For Fox Fund…

#128 LP on 03.20.18 at 11:31 am

#54 Niagara Region on 03.19.18 at 7:59 pm

I’m not one who ever thought that my bank was my friend. To me it has always just been a business and I am their customer.

I was widowed 4 months ago and, in the fullness of time, went to the bank to have our joint accounts put solely in my name. Being emotionally fragile I was fair game, I guess, for a very aggresive bank manager who proceeded to insist on keeping on record my late husband’s notarized will and an official death certificate. Then to add to the stress, she insisted that I should take in an official copy of my own Powers of Attorney for both personal care and property. In addition, she advised that I write a living will – and she wanted a copy of that too.

Luckily before providing the additional forms (POAs and living will) I had an appointment with my lawyer who, when she heard about the banker’s demands, just about blew a gasket. There is no legal requirement to provide anything at all to be kept on record at the bank. All the manager needed was to read page 1 of my husband’s will and to see the death certificate.

So, beware of bankers making demands. If it sounds unreasonable it probably is. And maybe only visit your bank when you’re having a “good” day.

#129 Total Inventory on 03.20.18 at 11:37 am

#101 Myra Andrews

I can’t make sense of it.
Why isn’t TI growing by ( new – sold ) listings?

I guess it needs an extra column ‘expired’ or something?

#130 For those about to flop... on 03.20.18 at 11:48 am

#128 LP on 03.20.18 at 11:31 am

I was widowed 4 months ago….

//////////////////////

Hey Linda,I’m saddened to hear about your husband.

May he have brought you years of joy.

It’s been a while since I wrote you and when I didn’t hear from you for a while I was actually concerned about your health.

All things considered,I hope you are o.k.

Peace,Flop…

#131 For those about to flop... on 03.20.18 at 12:06 pm

The guys at howmuch only wrote one article last week and have finally released the handbrake with a bit of a long one.

Must have been getting their ice-cream parlour ready for opening day…

“This Graph Shows Which Political Party Corporate America Loves the Most

President Trump has already started his reelection campaign for 2020 and he’s well on his way to raising a lot of money for the effort. Fortunately, candidates are required to publicly disclose campaign contributions to the Federal Election Commission, which in turn makes the data available to the public. This disclosure process includes where the donors work, allowing us to create our new visual.

Zippia, a career advice website, gathered the data from the Federal Election Commission (FEC). Zippia analyzed contributions from employees at the 250,000 biggest companies in the country and found well over 30 million donations records from 2007 through 2017. We took the 30 most politically active companies on the Fortune 500 and ranked them in order of their campaign contributions over the last ten years. The bars represent the total contributions ($B) given to candidates in each party. We added the total figures and the percentage breakdown for Democrats and Republicans for easy reference. Several fascinating trends immediately jump out from our visual.

First off, there’s a lot more blue than red on the graph, indicating that Democrats rake in most of the political cash from corporate America. Keep in mind that these contributions are coming from employees who work at these companies, not the corporations themselves. It’s actually illegal for corporations to make contributions directly to candidates. Republicans received more than 50% of the donations from only nine of the 30 companies, most of which tend to be grouped toward the bottom. Additionally, almost all of the bars include a tiny sliver of green, representing contributions to independent candidates. These contributions are there but they definitely don’t amount to much overall. Ultimately, it is fair to say that employees of these big companies have spent the bulk of their political cash on Democrats over the last decade.

Let’s take a closer look at the top of the list. Financial institutions dominate the marketplace for political donations, making up six of the top ten companies. Goldman Sachs is in first place by a long shot, shoveling $11.5B to members of both parties. The bank’s money is split almost evenly across the aisle—possibly showing an effort to hedge against whichever party controls the levers of power. Charles Schwab provides an interesting contrast with Goldman in that the discount broker spends almost 70% of its political donations on Democrats. Microsoft and Apple also crack the top ten, but both companies clearly favor Democrats a lot more than Republicans, pumping 80% and 88%, respectively, of their political money into candidates on the left.

Perhaps the most interesting fact about our visual is what it doesn’t show. Where is Walmart, the top ranked company on the Fortune 500? Or Berkshire Hathaway, McKesson, United HealthGroup, or CVS? What about other behemoths like Google or Amazon? Maybe their business models aren’t as reliant on politicians for their business models to work. On the other hand, if so many major companies are missing from the list, why do employees at these particular companies spend so much on political campaigns? A new piece of legislation or a change in the regulatory environment could drastically affect the bottom line for big banks. Utilities like Comcast and AT&T are heavily invested in the ongoing debate around net neutrality. Other companies rely directly on government contracts for business, like Boeing and Lockheed Martin. In short, what’s a couple billion dollars spent on a political campaign if it means the government will stay out of your way? Political contributions might be one of the smartest investments some workers can make for their own job security.”

#132 Marcus on 03.20.18 at 12:09 pm

#60 Reality is Stark. You hit the nail on the head. MGTOW is growing in leaps and bounds world wide. Especially in jurisdictions where men have absolutely no rights w/r/t their finances and access to their children after divorce. Like Spain for instance. All a woman has to do in Spain is to lodge a complaint against a man and he is incarcerated for 5 days immediately while the authorities investigate her claim. Valid or bogus. Men are going their own way in relationships and finance. Many young men have learned from their fathers, uncles and other male stories of regret that it is up to the individual man to build their empire and limit ALL the risks to said empire.

#133 Smoking Man MIA on 03.20.18 at 12:25 pm

#122 Gravy Train on 03.20.18 at 10:39 am

………………………………………………………………..
Don’t bother here are Smoking Mans comments, lefties, communists, feminazis, fakenewz, SJW, Canada sucks, get out & sell now, tax farm slaves suck, T2 & Soros suck, Wynnee sucks………….did I miss any?

#134 PastThePeak on 03.20.18 at 12:28 pm

#115 Capt. Serious on 03.20.18 at 8:57 am
#107 Ace Goodheart on 03.20.18 at 6:55 am
———————————

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, Ace’s comment is way off. FB is barely used by those under 25 (OK, that isn’t all Mills as Gen-Z starts around 18-or-so). More use Snap or Instagram. Even the (few) older Mills I know post to FB quite infrequently.

FB is definitely most popular with Gen-X, then younger Boomers, then Mills.

#135 Mark on 03.20.18 at 12:28 pm

“This gives a clue that you should have most of your retirement funds in a currency other than CAD. Get some USD and some EUR and invest in the capital markets around the world.”

Then who is supposed to own Canadian business then? I see a lot of people here, and on other forums recently advocating heavy non-Canadian exposure up to and including literally calling the TSX “trash”, but without people owning these businesses, just who will supply those services to, and employ Canadians?

I know, hyperbole, but the fervor with which amateur investors have piled onto the bandwagon of hating Canadian equities (in favour of Canadian RE and foreign equities) is, in and of itself, a contrarian indicator.

I’d say the same about the anti-gold, pro-bond/GIC fervor that infects some as well. You don’t get rich or even earn above-average returns by blindly following the herd being led to slaughter, that’s for sure.

#136 NEVER GIVE UP on 03.20.18 at 12:36 pm

Trumps Genius is similar to Steve Carrel in the “Office” TV Show.
He is an awkward reality TV star.
The people voted for the wrong skill set.
Trumps political skill set is that of person with an IQ of 88.
The People of America got the president they deserve!

#137 NEVER GIVE UP on 03.20.18 at 12:38 pm

What a simpleton!

#138 Ian on 03.20.18 at 12:39 pm

#121 Afterthehousesold

OK Saturday 12 May blog dog meetup then!

I still might go on 1 April if anyone is interested. And yes Garth, I’ll bring CAD lol.

#139 Guy in Calgary on 03.20.18 at 1:03 pm

#107 Ace Goodheart on 03.20.18 at 6:55 am

Watch now as everyone acts surprised. Young people! Sheesh!
—————————————————————–

I am a millennial and this is common knowledge.

#140 Fake News Again on 03.20.18 at 1:05 pm

Johhnyboy on 03.19.18 at 4:14 pm
#110 Fake News Again on 03.18.18 at 10:39 pm

Andrew Woburn on 03.18.18 at 4:15 pm
Kevin on 03.17.18 at 3:27 pm
Thank you, Ryan. I agree.

The major battleground will be the suburbs.

To me the big issue is the response of Republican women who are almost all white.

It is hard to imagine they like or respect the Donald but they voted for him in 2016. My suspicion is that they have been trained from birth to fear black men and saw Trump as a revolting but necessary defender of white virtue (who would, of course, become presidential in office). Now the question is how many can overcome their gag reflex to actually show up at the polls.

__________

Clearly you have ZERO IDEA why President Trump won……
______________________________________
Ahhhhh, because American republican voters are easily duped?

______

No because Radical Lefties like you seem to think that the USA is only the east and west coast. Big mistake.

#141 Fake News Again on 03.20.18 at 1:07 pm

NEVER GIVE UP on 03.20.18 at 12:38 pm

What a simpleton!
________

A single drug dealer can kill thousands of people. Your thinking like a Canadian…….how is PM Peoplekind working out?

#142 robert james on 03.20.18 at 1:11 pm

136 NEVER GIVE UP on 03.20.18 at 12:36 pm Not sure it can be said that all Americans got the Pres. that they deserved but Putin sure got a little bumboy out of it.. I don`t know what Russia has on Trump but it must be good ..

#143 Tater on 03.20.18 at 1:12 pm

#135 Mark on 03.20.18 at 12:28 pm

—————————————————————-
To be blunt, who gives a sh*t? Canada represents about 2.5% of the public equity investment universe, putting the majority of your savings into CAD equities is silly.

Add to that, that since the 70’s the TSX lags the SP500 by around 100bps per year. So what’s the case to invest heavily in Canada?

#144 SW on 03.20.18 at 1:21 pm

#128 LP on 03.20.18 at 11:31 am

I am sorry for your loss. I hope there are increasingly more good days than otherwise.

Your post about bankers is wise. I have knowledge of some lawyers, doctors, priests and dentists taking advantage of people at their lowest ebb too. Not everyone is ethical or can resist temptation.

#145 Stan Brooks on 03.20.18 at 1:26 pm

#118 Tater on 03.20.18 at 9:32 am

———————–

Great point on diversification.

====================

#135 Mark on 03.20.18 at 12:28 pm

Then who is supposed to own Canadian business then?

——-

You da man, Mark.

I am sure any stock worth owning will find it’s buyers.
Try to buy Canadian stocks included in international EFT indexes, let’s hope some buying demand will come from there as clearly domestic demand is … well, doomed.

Nobody has any money here. Mostly debt. Where do you expect demand to come from?

#146 Richard on 03.20.18 at 1:27 pm

Thank you so much for this, Garth! Thanks for bringing asset allocation to the unwashed masses, we appreciate it. I hope. While my family had dipped into real estate (we own a house with a basement suite), your column has helped steel me against the peer pressure from the two well-to-dos who own four rental properties here in Edmonton. They keep asking when we’re going to upgrade our house. I’m fine not living in a 3,000 sq ft house. But it’s easy to think about how much wealth they’re amassing while I sit here with my ETFs. Of course, I don’t see their books, but only sense the immense stress they’re under as they fret over taking a family vacation, standing in their freshly renovated high-end kitchen.

#147 SW on 03.20.18 at 1:40 pm

#103 Blackdog on 03.20.18 at 1:13 am
“Don’t you love it when someone else gets to declare that it’s humourous you feel disrespected by something that either they said or were OK with being said? Why the soft spot for the foreigners, but not for the females? Issues?”

Surely we’ve learned not to expect respect on the internet, it is not real life. I’m sorry to say this, it was a dream of utopia back in the day…it turns out some people aren’t worthy.

#148 A J on 03.20.18 at 1:42 pm

Tell me again how Liberals are the ones who are brainwashed…Conservatives need to wake up.

#149 Stan Brooks on 03.20.18 at 1:44 pm

#135 Mark on 03.20.18 at 12:28 pm

Mark,

Reality for TSX is:

1. There will be selling pressure as baby boomers cash out to support themselves in retirement.

2. Young people have no money to invest they have debt.

If housing was cheaper the young would have had money left to invest.

3. TSX is local exchange and unattractive to foreign investors, except the mining sector.

4. There is absolutely no incentive for foreign investor to put their money here.

Do you have any confidence in the current circus clowns leadership, including at BoC and wild bill and their anti business ‘gender influenced’ policies?

So think about where demand is going to come from.

#150 Thank you on 03.20.18 at 1:52 pm

for sharing your knowledge. I have learned a lot. Have become a more confident investor by reading and re-reading your blog daily.

God Bless

Thank you. Now why can’t the rest of the mongrels here behave the same way? – Garth

#151 Howard on 03.20.18 at 1:54 pm

Ford PCs With A 21 Point Lead Over Wynne Liberals

They’ve even pulled slightly ahead of the Libs in the 416.

#152 Paul on 03.20.18 at 2:01 pm

More evidence of Vancouver’s topsy-turvy housing market.

A 96-year-old home in Vancouver’s West End, which is listed as a fixer-upper is on the market for $6.98 million – more than $3 million over its assessed value.

The aging three-storey house at 1511 Barclay Street includes two bedrooms and a bathroom on the main floor, plus separate one-bedroom suites on the top floor and in the basement.

Still, the basement is only “partly finished.” The ad reads, “great opportunity for investment and self-use,” it reads.

The 2,542-square-foot house was built in 1922.

The house last sold for $2.8 million in October 2015.

The most recent assessment lists the value at $3.45 million.

So far there has been no explanation for the sudden and dramatic increase in value or asking price.

According to B.C. Assessment, a nearby property at 977 Broughton Street that has nine bedrooms and six bathrooms sold in September for $2.8 million, less than $100,000 over its assessed value.

#153 Howard on 03.20.18 at 2:04 pm

—————————

Good on you for adopting from a shelter.

NO to pet stores (that sell actual pets) and (most) breeders!

#154 NoName on 03.20.18 at 2:05 pm

Interesting read

#155 Experienced Renter on 03.20.18 at 2:06 pm

#65 Elcaminokid

…”Call the landlord for any issue. Bathroom fan gone…fill out a sheet…Fixed! Lightbulb out…fill out a sheet…fixed!”…
—-
Your experience is the exception and not the rule. I’ve rented now for 9 years with 3 different owners and none have been overly responsive to spending money at my request. Our current landlady has re-paid me for out of pocket expenses over the last 5 years, but I did all of the repair work, with the exception of a furnace issue . I reported an excessively loud exhaust blower however she kept putting the replacement repairs off until it failed completely, leaving us with no heat for a few hours. Then she had the gall to grumble about it.

Count yourself lucky.

#156 Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 3:01 pm

#140 Fake News Again on 03.20.18 at 1:05 pm

Johhnyboy on 03.19.18 at 4:14 pm
#110 Fake News Again on 03.18.18 at 10:39 pm

Andrew Woburn on 03.18.18 at 4:15 pm
Kevin on 03.17.18 at 3:27 pm
Thank you, Ryan. I agree.
………………………..
The major battleground will be the suburbs.
______________________________________
Clearly you have ZERO IDEA why President Trump won……
______________________________________
Ahhhhh, because American republican voters are easily duped?
______________________________________
_______________________________________
Now that is funny, I’m a radical leftie, Jesus you sound like that Smoking Twit. Contrary to a popular belief, working-class voters did not make up the bulk of the Trump vote. Instead, the electorate that put Trump in the White House looks pretty much like the classic Republican coalition. Trump, the brash New York real estate mogul and reality television personality, had managed to awaken and politicize a slumbering working-class base that was attracted by his unorthodox style and some of his key topics. These fired up working-class voters then turned out in droves, first at his rallies and later at the ballot boxes, assuring Trump’s win over his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton. This narrative sounds alluring, but it has one problem. It is not accurate. That’s because, according to two recent authoritative studies, the Trump electorate actually looks very similar to the standard Republican electorate in which working-class Americans play a role but not the out-sized role that is often ascribed to them in the Trump vote. Trump’s base was not mostly working class “With that data there is no reason to think that his base was majority or even close to majority working-class people,” Vanderbilt University, who analyzed the latest results of the American National Election Study, the leading academically-run national survey of voters in the US. So there you go Fake Dumb News Again.

#157 Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 3:03 pm

#151 Howard on 03.20.18 at 1:54 pm

Ford PCs With A 21 Point Lead Over Wynne Liberals

They’ve even pulled slightly ahead of the Libs in the 416.
______________________________________
Lets hope Wynnes days are numbered and the Liberals can go to the place where no sun shines!

#158 Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 3:06 pm

#142 robert james on 03.20.18 at 1:11 pm

__________________________________________
Lets start with this before we talk about his Russian girls scandals.

#159 jess on 03.20.18 at 3:14 pm

the authors acknowledge saint petersburg state university for a research grant 8.38.351.2015
But they were not a secret while they happened: The Russian research team published an academic abstract online in March 2015, detailing the methods.
===============================
kogan ..what he was sayin’ in 2014

====
filter bubbles
Eli Pariser, who is the CEO of viral content website Upworthy, has been arguing against personalisation tools since 2011. He has warned against the dangers of information filtering, and believes that the use of algorithms – to profile people to show them information tailored to personal tastes – is bad for democracy.

#160 45north on 03.20.18 at 3:32 pm

Stan Brooks makes these points:

There was nothing illegal.
Cambridge Analytica used the information as per terms and conditions of use.
You can legally purchase the entire Twitter history data
In the case of Twitter, only statistical data is purchased

Michael Higgins wrote an article about this in the National Post. There’s no mention the data was stolen.

Stan Brooks asks the question:
What’s wrong with that?

the wrong side used the data for its advantage

#161 Er is better but... on 03.20.18 at 3:37 pm

The difference between an advisor and an adviser: CBC’s Marketplace consumer cheat sheet

#162 WynneGate on 03.20.18 at 3:44 pm

Ford will have an easy victory…

Large blow ups of Ontario Hydro Bills etc. could do it.

#163 Ace Goodheart on 03.20.18 at 3:44 pm

#139 Guy in Calgary:

The next generation apparently views itself as something that exists to make the economy and it’s corporate entities better.

Otherwise why give your personal information for free to advertisers?

#164 jess on 03.20.18 at 3:49 pm

October 26, 2017
Founder and Owner of Pharmaceutical Company Insys Arrested and Charged with Racketeering
Defendant and other executives allegedly bribed doctors and pharmacists to prescribe fentanyl spray meant for breakthrough cancer pain

BOSTON – The founder and majority owner of Insys Therapeutics Inc., was arrested today and charged with leading a nationwide conspiracy to profit by using bribes and fraud to cause the illegal distribution of a Fentanyl spray intended for cancer patients experiencing breakthrough pain.

===========
who’s control

Insys Therapeutics, which also makes products containing fentanyl and other opioids, is able to set the price point for its own legal brand of THC, which can range between $1,000 to $2,000 for a month’s supply. A small vial of organic high-quality Cannabidiol (CBD) costs less than $100.

#165 Gravy Train on 03.20.18 at 3:50 pm

#137 NEVER GIVE UP on 03.20.18 at 12:38 pm
“Now Trump wants to kill drug dealers like his murderous friend Duterte in the Philippines. What a simpleton! [emphasis added]”

How does Trump define a drug dealer? Does the definition include physicians and boards of directors of pharmaceutical companies? Will there be due process? Has Trump thought this through? Ha! And so on!

“US President Donald Trump has called for drug traffickers to face the death penalty as part of his plan to combat the US painkiller-addiction epidemic.”

“Even as the federal government, among others, pursues civil and criminal actions against physicians and pharmacies to address inappropriate prescribing and dispensing of opioids, a variety of lawsuits have been filed and continue to be filed against opioid manufacturers and distributors.”

#166 paul on 03.20.18 at 4:00 pm

165 Gravy Train on 03.20.18 at 3:50 pm

#137 NEVER GIVE UP on 03.20.18 at 12:38 pm

—————————————————————–
He not talking about street level dealers, it’s the leaders of the drug cartels. But you knew that.

#167 Gravy Train on 03.20.18 at 4:02 pm

None of us have been housebroken! :)

#168 Er is better but... on 03.20.18 at 4:05 pm

“CBC is 100% wrong. ‘Advisor’ and ‘adviser’ are interchangeable. A meaningless, fake news story. – Garth”

+++++++
In essence you are right in the fact that they don’t regulate it.

From article:

What’s in a vowel?

A common trick for misleading customers, according to Elford, is the banking industry’s use of the term “financial advisor” — spelled with an “o.”

He says “advisor” is an unregulated title that anyone can use, whereas the title “adviser” — spelled with an “e” — can only be used if the employee has a fiduciary responsibility to the client.

“Advisors can sell you the third, fourth, fifth or least beneficial product to you,” Elford said. “They do that a great deal of the time if it makes them more commissions, or if their bank manager is telling them they need to sell more of the house-brand product.”

The Ontario Securities Commission confirms that “adviser” is a legal term under securities law that describes a person or company that is registered to give advice about securities, whereas “advisor” is not.

In an email to Go Public, the Canadian Securities Administrators confirmed that it does not regulate most titles used by employees in the financial industry.

CBC poop. – Garth

#169 jess on 03.20.18 at 4:08 pm

A New York state judge Tuesday said “no one is above the law” as she denied President Donald Trump’s request to dismiss a defamation lawsuit by a former “Apprentice” contestant who claims he sexually groped her.

Manhattan Court Justice Jennifer Schecter’s decision, which allows the suit by Summer Zervos to proceed, rejected Trump’s argument that a sitting president cannot be subject to a state court’s jurisdiction.

#170 NoName on 03.20.18 at 4:16 pm

#156 Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 3:01 pm

deplorable vs affluent.

#171 Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 4:30 pm

#170 NoName on 03.20.18 at 4:16 pm

#156 Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 3:01 pm

deplorable vs affluent.
_________________________________________
Neither one invokes cranial superiority. I stand by the general Republicans being duped.
BTW I have a name for you!………………….

#172 Mountain_camper_in_tent on 03.20.18 at 4:43 pm

Newbie dad
————-
It’s a very good option that will force you to save money for your kid’s education.Depending on how markets perform in next 18 years, you will get some return as well.I bought response for my daughter when she was 5 and last year when she started Uni,I got a cheque of 25k,with 3 more years of payments pending.Im expecting 8 to 10k each year for 3 years.

#173 SunShowers on 03.20.18 at 4:52 pm

CBC poop. – Garth

——————

Does that mean that all financial advisers have a fiduciary duty to their clients, or that none of them do?

And from a regulatory/legal standpoint, is there any distinction with respect to fiduciary duty between a fee based adviser and bank employees slinging 4% MER mutuals?

Thanks!

Of course. Determine the level of licensing. Fee-based advisors are fiduciaries. The kid is in the bank is not. – Garth

#174 Mountain_camper_in_tent on 03.20.18 at 5:08 pm

Finally spring like weather is here in Central Alberta…..cannot wait to go camping at Waterton lakes NP.I hope last fall’s wild fire has not caused huge damage.A lot of improvements were made in last 8 to 10 years.

#175 Guy in Calgary on 03.20.18 at 5:38 pm

#163 Ace Goodheart on 03.20.18 at 3:44 pm
#139 Guy in Calgary:

Otherwise why give your personal information for free to advertisers?
—————————————————————–

I guess we are the only generation that uses credit cards too (they take your information and advertise to you). Those stupid millenials willingly sharing their information! You can’t be serious…

Older generations worked in factories to make “corporate entities” better. Worked in the oil patch to make corporate entities better.

We engage in economic activity to improve our lives the same way you do. The tech is different now. You are just old and out of touch. What the hell are you even talking about when you say “It must be true then. The younger generation has transitioned to being secondary to the economy. We used to view economic activity as something that existed to make our lives better.”

You think we work to make our lives worse? We engage in economic activity, you are just too old and out of touch to know what it is that’s happening.

#176 Fake News Again on 03.21.18 at 11:25 am

Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 3:01 pm
#140 Fake News Again on 03.20.18 at 1:05 pm

Johhnyboy on 03.19.18 at 4:14 pm
#110 Fake News Again on 03.18.18 at 10:39 pm

Andrew Woburn on 03.18.18 at 4:15 pm
Kevin on 03.17.18 at 3:27 pm
Thank you, Ryan. I agree.
………………………..
The major battleground will be the suburbs.
______________________________________
Clearly you have ZERO IDEA why President Trump won……
______________________________________
Ahhhhh, because American republican voters are easily duped?
______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______

I rest my case…..you Radical Lefties are so brainwashed today they need to re-write the book on the subject to add digital brainwashing into the equation…….

#177 Fake News Again on 03.21.18 at 11:46 am

Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 4:30 pm
#170 NoName on 03.20.18 at 4:16 pm

#156 Johnnyboy on 03.20.18 at 3:01 pm

deplorable vs affluent.
_________________________________________
BTW I have a name for you!………………….

______

And what name would that be? Normal? The un-brainwashed? Human?

How is your friend Zuckerberg and his pals the Radical Left loons in Silicon Valley doing these days? I have some news for ya……yer days are numbered. The criminal left has always hijacked technology in the beginning before “normal” people reign the crazy left in…….