Useless blog

Poor James. His nice quiet street was besieged yesterday (“It was bonkers,” he reports) when news broke that his neighbour was selling her house and marrying a prince.

The lady in question, in case you live under a rock, is Meghan Markle, a minor starlet in the cinematic firmament who has just landed HRH Prince Harry the Swarthy. The engagement was announced recently, and she now joins Ivana Trump in whatever special universe is reserved for regal spouses the public cannot consume enough of.

In fact, says blog dog James, “the paparazzi were annoying, until my nine-year-old ran over one on his bike in the laneway.”

Well, this is the media attention that turned Toronto’s Yarmouth Road into a zoo on Saturday.

Sadly, however, the $1.395 million offering (realtors say the barnish place will sell for far more) does not belong to the almost-princess. She just rented it for a while when in Toronto to film episodes of that awful series called ‘Suits.’ The real owner is a hairdresser who’s also a fashion editor (aren’t they all?) who bought the place for $580,000 a decade ago.

Saturday was open house day and James watched with interest. “Thought you’d like a front line report,” he says. “It’s bonkers today, constant stream of Audis and Range Rovers. Wonder if they’ll get a Royal bounce?” Then on Sunday, this: “So far this morning, crickets. Still a few empty Starbucks cups on the front lawn though. I’ll give you an update if things change. Not quite the maelstrom they were hoping for! And for the record, few, if any, neighbours cared much about her living here. She was quite pleasant.”

James snapped evidence of the event. Audis everywhere.

Meanwhile, if you ever doubt the human capacity to be vacuous, check out the comment that agent Dan Freemen made when asked what impressed him about his listing, “Wow, Prince Harry used this toilet.” Seriously. He said that.

“Do you accept dog photos for your blog?” Peter naively asked me. Of course. Turns out Pete’s an officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force whose job it is to investigate accidents and crashes.

“We have a cute rescue dog (he was found in a dumpster). His name is Chance (full name is “Take a chance on me”), named by my Wife,” says the major, who sweetly capitalizes his spouse. “My Wife bought him without telling me while I was away in Germany investigating an A-10 crash (I was assisting the USAF).

“When I returned home my Wife informed me we had a new dog! This cute little black haired puppy came out of hiding in a kitchen cupboard, wagging his tail, walked up to me and lay on my boot – exposing his tummy for a rub.  I immediately lay down beside him and gave him a tummy rub, it was love at first site. Thank you for your blog, it is very educational and entertaining….wish you were running the gov’t.”

Be careful what you wish for, sir. That statement probably constitutes treason. Anyway, here is Wife and Chance:

While we’re being hopelessly cute and useless on this blog, let’s bring in Sadie, the dog who has a crush on a rooster. (Hey, if you’re impressed with the prince’s toilet, this is a step up…)

“Garth, really enjoy your blog,” says Brent, in the obligatory suck-up. “You present a range of ideas and topics, and allow the peanut gallery to spout and debate… a pillar in our society. This is a pic of our Sadie with her buddy, a rooster. She tolerates him. He adores her. I thought you might like to use the pic for your blog to show diversity.”

Now you are fully informed. Things that matter. Spouses and pets, poultry and princes. In that order.

#1 Ace Goodheart on 12.10.17 at 12:50 pm

RE: “Wow, Prince Harry used this toilet.” Seriously. He said that.”

He actually probably didn’t. The royals carry around a wooden toilet seat everywhere they go. They install it before sitting down for the deed. Remove it when they’re finished. Likely the royal behind never graced that particular porcelain throne.

#2 NoName on 12.10.17 at 12:55 pm

Interesting read

#3 Arcade Stevie on 12.10.17 at 12:59 pm

Garth, when you do your predictions for 2018, can you include your bitcoin 2018 year end price prediction? And also include Rowats and Lewenza’s predictions!

#4 Raddoc on 12.10.17 at 1:01 pm

The irony is not lost on me that Freeman Realty is trying to liquidate real estate in this bear market by literally polishing a royal turd…

#5 NEVER GIVE UP on 12.10.17 at 1:03 pm

Every year I give at least one inspirational book to each of my children. (to be found somewhere in the spoils of obscene crass commercialism)
There are many more but here are some of the best I have given.
I try to give mostly financial advice books that are not too specific but more inspirational. Messages like no debt or low debt are key. Saving a portion of your income. Paying yourself first. Etc.

All of my kids are debt free so far and live within their means.

The Richest Man in Babylon was the most inspirational to me as a teenager. Written in 1926.
I also read things like Think and Grow Rich. and J. Paul Gettys’, How To Be Rich. Bits of each book sinks in and creates a habit of thinking about money in a good way.

Hope I have given some of you a bit of inspiration.

The Richest Man in Babylon: The Success Secrets of the Ancients–the Most Inspiring Book on Wealth Ever Written Paperback
George S. Clason

CDN$ 8.11 Prime

The Greatest Miracle in the World
Og Mandino
4.6 out of 5 stars 57
Mass Market Paperback
CDN$ 7.64 Prime

Try googling “Inspirational financial books.”

#6 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 1:04 pm

The royal family should be stripped of their titles. Their wealth should be confiscated as proceededs of crime. It shouldn’t matter if the crimes were 200 years ago or yesterday, allowing descendants to prosper should be a crime. The British royals were responsible for killing and enslaving millions. How can we create a fair and inclusive society when the very institutions responsible for oppression remain?

#7 Russ on 12.10.17 at 1:13 pm

Ah, the sweet things in life.
The missus and I are enjoying a beautiful Hawaii morning.

I may retire next year but would prefer to scale back to part time. We have a fee based guy that will look after which accounts get drawn on for best tax abuse and comfort.

Thanks for all your worldly advice. My hobby account drums up an avg 7% by following your recommendations.

Cheers, R

#8 not so liquid in calgary on 12.10.17 at 1:18 pm

from the Where Are They Now Dept:

Harry also used two Cowboy’s waitresses. I believe one rode in the back of a van, with Harry, to his training grounds at Suffield, I believe.

but wow, what a great “drunk uncle” he will make :-)

#9 Smoking Man on 12.10.17 at 1:21 pm

Milenial Job Interview

#10 Stan Brooks on 12.10.17 at 1:34 pm

Prince Harry used this toilet.

I am sure the Business he produced on that toilet seat is preferred to the verbal diarrhea spewed by wild bill and T2.

Any update on the assault on small Businesses by the super rich elitist lieberals? What should we expect in the new year, some more arbitrary reasonableness rules by the idiots in power?

#11 Jiminy on 12.10.17 at 1:54 pm

#71 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.17 at 9:54 am
@#59 att
“Two grammatical errors in the first two paragraphs makes you lose all credibility.”
++++++
This blog is free, without advertisements constantly bomdarding us……
Perhaps you could volunteer to spend all YOUR evenings and weekends creating, writing, posting and reading, editting all the comments?
Crickets
*********

Did you mean “editing” ?

#12 Zapstrap on 12.10.17 at 1:54 pm

What’s wrong with people … another dog in a dumpster and people humping a “Royal rental” …sheesh.

#13 TurnerNation on 12.10.17 at 1:57 pm

Toronto? The absurdity of it all.

The City of Toronto’s sole point of existence is to fund the salaries and benefits of Public Sector Unions – and associated contractors, consultants. Nothing more.

World class? Record Land Transfer tax revenue but always cuts to basic services:
– No new roads to encourage commute or commerce; only bike lanes.
– Any new Inf project (like subway extension, Union Station reno) has massive, unchecked cost overuns – all flowing to said unions and contractors/consultants. A Blank cheque.

– Closing public pools, skating rinks.
– Closing Libraries
– De-funding child care and after school programs.

All this can increase crime among kids/teens. Which means more money for the Toronto Police Services Union – already the highest paid in Canada. In turn, Police exist for two reasons:
1) Meet diversity hiring quotas.
2) Generate ticket revenue.

If you are a victim of crime: home break in, mugging; car or bike stolen they will not help. “Too busy” you see.
Your only hope is own security camera footage, putting up posters/door to door, or finding property via internet.
Yet there’s always a dozen officers on the King St. transit project ticketing drivers ignoring the new no-go signage. (See point 2), above). I saw even a “Marine Unit” marked car getting in on this cash cow.

Trees have more rights than people in Toronto. If a homeowner cuts down their tree without State permission there is outrage, fines, restitution. Full and immediate official response, follow up and persecution with mandatory re-education. If a developer does this, it makes the newspaper even, and people wear black for a week.

Kids: Just. Join. The Party.

#14 Another Albertan on 12.10.17 at 2:01 pm

#126 Stuart on 12.08.17 at 8:31 am

I went to school with Robbie and Marc Peers and lived all of 200 feet away.

I remember all the head scratching when the story first broke.

Despite the family being decidedly Christian and living in a particularly modest, middle-class home, it goes to show that you never really know what goes on behind closed doors.

Everyone else’s mileage may vary.

#15 AGuyInVancouver on 12.10.17 at 2:42 pm

#6 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 1:04 pm
_ _ _
Oh Good God, on Monday take that back to whatever 1st year graduate student T/A spoonfed it to you in Outrage 101!

#16 For those about to flop... on 12.10.17 at 2:55 pm

Pink Pumpkins being carved in Vancouver.

This case is representative of a lot of cases I have seen this year where the buyer was clearly not paying attention.

Picked up for 2.81 in May 2017 ,anyone who did a tiny bit of research would realize that this price bracket in Vancouver is not what it was 18months ago.

Had it back on the market in August and were never going to hit the jackpot and now also like a lot of my other cases are in recovery mode.

Buyers looking in anything north of 3 million can take their time and haggle down with ease as there is a lot of other speculators waiting to offload,mainly from Spring Fling 2016.

Could find someone to go halves in expenses,but for the first time in a long time the buyers are driving the bus.

How many speculators will get run over…

3964 w21st Avenue, Vancouver

Aug 10:$3,080,000
Dec 7: $2,980,000
Change: – 100000.00 -3%

#17 SoggyShorts on 12.10.17 at 3:03 pm

#6 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 1:04 pm
******************************
Wow. Your name is perfect for this one.
How many Americans had a distant relative who owned a slave? Probably quite a few.
How many human beings have zero ancestors who committed crimes? Probably close to zero.

So everyone should be stripped of all wealth, and it should be given to whom?

#18 Gasbag Boomer on 12.10.17 at 3:08 pm

#9, Smoking Man

Thanks, absolutely hilarious.

#19 Lost...but not leased on 12.10.17 at 3:08 pm

This latest post has me ROTFLMAO….

…I have to recover before I comment any further.

#20 Dan the IT Guy on 12.10.17 at 3:16 pm

Clearly, this blog is blatantly discriminatory against felines. I request equal opportunity for cats for 2018! Happy Holidays!

#21 NoName on 12.10.17 at 3:16 pm

#15 AGuyInVancouver on 12.10.17 at 2:42 pm
#6 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 1:04 pm
—-

i would agree with you on this one, years ago but i changed my mind, when i realised that political dynastys are more sinister. As for queen of we can all hope she will come over or instuct gov. gen. to disolve parlament, so we can have more fun watching Canadian politics.
Go easy on a queen she is our last hope.

#22 Raging Ranter on 12.10.17 at 3:20 pm

@ #15 AGuyInVancouver – he probably rages over “Victoria Day” too.

#23 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.17 at 3:23 pm

@#6 I’m Stupid

Yes, yes you are.

@#11 Jimmy

Lol

Well, after intentionally mutilating the English language in my comment….. I went and poured a cup of coffee.

#24 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.17 at 3:28 pm

Well
Social Justice PC Warriors….thought I’d beat you to the “punch”.
I think it should go something like this…….

Horrors Garth.
How dare you post a photo that could be construed as sexist, demeaning, misogynistic, bullying, socially incorrect, but funny.
I expected nothing less from a troglodyte Boomer.
Have you no decency?

#25 Screwed Canadian Millenial on 12.10.17 at 3:36 pm

#70 Smoking Man on 12.09.17 at 3:32 am
Seek help. You have a mental disorder.

Dr Smoking Man
PhD Herdonomics

—————————————

I’m away for weeks and that’s the welcome back I get? Not very nice, Smoking Too Much Substance Man.

How excited are you about Wynne’s plan to sell marijuana in LCBO locations? Can’t wait till she pulls off another victory in 2018. Allah willing, I’ll be out of this sh*thole country by then.

#26 Dan.t on 12.10.17 at 4:19 pm

Really nice blog post today Garth! It was fun and uplifting to read. Thanks again for all you do.

#27 Lost...but not leased on 12.10.17 at 4:26 pm

Whew..

I was worried “SardineCan- GravityDefying- Flatulence” was on sabbatical in North Korea…

Let the stars re-align…

#28 the Jaguar on 12.10.17 at 4:28 pm

What kind of sick human being puts a dog in a dumpster?
Thank heavens for people like Peter and his wife that step up and give a home to them.
Sadie and the rooster. Dogs just want to hang out in a social environment. Humans, other dogs, cat, or even a rooster. Everyone is welcome.
My advice to blog dogs on #25–don’t take the bait.

#29 Mark deflation theory and Loonies that are valued higher than Pounds on 12.10.17 at 4:36 pm

So Screwed Millennial is back!

Now where’s Mark to discuss deflation in Canadian currency, or is it real estate? I paid $2.99 for a tray of Omega 3 eggs when it was $1.99 a few months ago on Regular pricing. #Minimum wage inflation.

Mark should also explain deflation that’s about to come once Prince Harry marries Meghan Markle (sounds like a name one would find in certain businesses in Nevada!

#30 Russ on 12.10.17 at 4:49 pm

Hey Flopper,

With the change in season, shouldn’t you be looking at or for “hung stockings” or something similar, instead of Pink Pumpkins.

I haven’t seen a “hand crafted pumpkin spice” advertisement in quite a while.

#31 Smoking Man on 12.10.17 at 4:50 pm

#25 Screwed Canadian Millenial on 12.10.17 at 3:36 pm
#70 Smoking Man on 12.09.17 at 3:32 am
Seek help. You have a mental disorder.

Dr Smoking Man
PhD Herdonomics

—————————————

…..

I’ve already left this shit hole of marxism. Being a capitalist were always ahead of the curve.

I’ll will take some time but you will be one two.

#32 OttawaMike on 12.10.17 at 4:52 pm

Quick question:
Same James that tries and continues to fail at knocking the piss out of our favorite piss tank Smoking Man?

#33 Bezengy on 12.10.17 at 5:02 pm

Wow…Chickens! You’re your talking. My 10 little beauties anteed up 8 large today. How on earth does a little chicken lay almost an egg a day? Crazy.

So Bill has to explain how to crack down on tax cheats to his provincial counterparts this week. I’m thinking he has “streets creds” working in his favor this time, after recently gaining notoriety as an expert in the subject. It should be a lot easier than trying to convince Albertans to give Quebec another 10 Billion this year. Go get em Bill!

#34 For those about to flop... on 12.10.17 at 5:16 pm

When I heard that Prince Harry was fifth in line for the throne ,I didn’t realize they were talking about some happenings at some house party in Toronto…

#35 OttawaMike on 12.10.17 at 5:22 pm

#13 TurnerNation on 12.10.17 at 1:57 pm

___________

This how you do it: https://twitter.com/YouHadOneJ0B/status/939917888688881664?s=09

#36 Lost...but not leased on 12.10.17 at 5:24 pm

#28 the Jaguar

Re: our fellow creatures on earth….I here ya…

The evidence suggests that the majority of serial killers got their dubious start torturing animals without recourse.

I am of the view “…..but for the sake of the given manifested DNA go I “.

*****NOTE: One does not have to necessarily be a serial killer to exhibit a monopoly of psychosis..indifference to the plight of the middle and lower classes often equally qualifies one to be a certifiable representative via political office.(ie Councillor/MLA/MP)

One of THE most intriguing lessons (and prejudices NUKED)observed was this dude that cared for an injured crocodile…which grew to almost 20 ft..and he was a major tourist draw swimming with this”maneater”…the gig ended when the crocodile died.

YOUTUBE “The Man Who Swims With Crocodiles”

True strength and credibility comes after the initial “Humbling”.

#37 Protea on 12.10.17 at 5:40 pm

Cute post today. To get us back on track !! take note of the following.

This was on the radio the other night in Vancouver hosted by Journalist Mike Smyth of the Vancouver Province on CKNW 980 it shows you how corrupt the Liberal government were under Christie Clarke and how as a result of benefiting from the Vancouver real estate debackle how Christie allowed this blatant money laundering to skew the real estate market in the GVR.

Evidence suggests that Canada has some serious money-laundering and financial crime problems… but how bad are they? well listen to the recording very revealing to say the least .

Guest: Christine Duhaime – Financial-crime lawyer and money-laundering expert

Guest: Richard Kurland – Vancouver immigration lawyer

#38 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.10.17 at 5:49 pm

@#33 Bezengy

Chickens….
awesome little guard animals if you have snake “issues” or phobias.
Wouldn’t have believed it until I saw it.
When chickens see a snake…. their “inner dinosaur” comes out……

Peck it to death, then eat it.

Fascinating in a revolting kind of way.
Kind like fartz in an elevator.

#39 Dolce Vita on 12.10.17 at 6:10 pm

Netflix. THE CROWN.

Princess Margaret’s new lady-in-waiting about what Princess Margaret’s birthday photo ought to reflect (1950s era):

“Like the subject. Show change in the character. Complexity.”

The Queen Mother’s response:

“No one wants complexity and reality from us.”

“Do sit down.”

#40 Chimingin on 12.10.17 at 6:17 pm

Re: #6

Oh, lay off it, Stupid. No system is perfect or free of scandal, but the British crown enabled one of the strongest and longest-lasting forms of stable government the world has seen to be created. All this bleating about them being criminals is just nonsense. Overbearing, uninformed, ignorant nonsense.

#41 common sense on 12.10.17 at 6:26 pm

Mr. T would love to her your thoughts on the new Bill 148 starting Jan 1, 2018.

I sat with a group of friends who are long time small business owners – 3-25 employees – Restaurants, various service companies last night and let say they are not impressed in the least to the point that 2 of them gave laid off notices to all staff as of Friday.

#42 Howard on 12.10.17 at 6:33 pm

#6 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 1:04 pm

——————————————-

They tried that in 1649. Didn’t go over so well. Monarchy restored 11 years later.

And by the standards of pre-modern empires, the Brits were a hell of a lot better than most.

#43 Howard on 12.10.17 at 6:41 pm

As far as Harry goes, at least he doesn’t take himself too seriously. He knows he won the birth lottery, is making the most of it, and entirely unpretentious about it. Put his life in the line in Afghanistan when he didn’t have to. There’s a reason he’s the most popular Royal since his great-grandmother, the Queen Mum.

#44 When Will They Raise Rates? on 12.10.17 at 6:50 pm

CBOE Website Crashes As Futures Trading Begins; Bitcoin Price Squeezed 10% Higher

Lol How are those shorts working out?

#45 Entrepreneur on 12.10.17 at 7:02 pm

I am not a fan of the Royals either. On one of those hour documentary shows the Queen had some kind of waste material hidden in the hills? Will have to google it.

I think time up for the drinking water problem for the First Nations and time to stop the talks.

My suggestion: Every home that does not have drinking water especially with kids should get an estimated quote (even an educated guess) on how to get some clean water, with different methods. Get some copies and then mail one in a red envelope to T2, make it visual.

And mention how many years, how many children and their health issues.

Same with the Veterans but use a multi-colour green like camouflage gear. Can write up the issues but can also send in the envelope empty. But make it visual for the media to pick up.

Many years ago heard a rustle with the garbage cans outside, went out to look and there was a white kitten trying to knock one down. Asked around and had him for 15 years.

#46 Andrew Woburn on 12.10.17 at 7:10 pm

– Greater Victoria near all-time record for housing starts

“The record for most new homes started in a year in the region was set in 1976, when builders started work on 4,439 new homes.

This year’s boom is being driven by the multi-family market, CMHC said.

Of the 3,700 new starts, only 824 were single-family homes. That’s down from the 843 single-family homes started over the same period last year.

“The big jump this year has been in multi-family developments,” said Edge, noting that even Langford and Saanich, which traditionally build single-family homes, have jumped into that sector.

“That reflects the cost of land,” Edge said. “It’s really difficult to build single-family homes unless municipalities are willing to subdivide the lots. And there is still a lot of opposition to rezoning for smaller lots in a lot of neighbourhoods.”

Over the last two years, land costs in the region have increased significantly, as have the costs of building materials and skilled trades.”

#47 YVR - 60% crash on 12.10.17 at 7:11 pm

Who is Prince Harry? LOL!

#48 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 7:13 pm

The median condo market segment in Langley, BC is overshooting support by $181,752.60 per condo.

Support equals available credit.

Any gap above support is filled with external credit (outside of Canada) and/or cash on hand.

This is the million dollar question: what will slow or stop the source buyer?

#49 ICLIPPER on 12.10.17 at 7:18 pm

God Bless our Colonial Slave Traders!! Make Britain Great Again!!

#50 Andrew Woburn on 12.10.17 at 7:20 pm

I really don’t mind any more when my wife drags me off to Costco. I smile contentedly in the endless Christmas cashier line-ups.

I just remind myself all those happy shoppers are putting money in our pocket since we bought Costco shares. It makes me realize why Warren Buffet is always smiling.

#51 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 7:21 pm

Ready to buy a Langley, BC condo and forever live the dream in it?

It might take you awhile to figure out this number and in the meantime here is a shortcut to the answer:

You get the dream condo for 362k (good like finding a decent one at this price) – anyways you love it, you buy it.

You put 20% down (72,400k which is not chump change for anyone who works for an honest living).

Here is your monthly: $1,936 (all in)

This is based on a hand picked property…the number could change slightly…pending exact property.

How much is your rent costing you for the same place?

#52 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 7:21 pm

For all those that disagree, continue being good subjects. The fact remains that positions that aren’t based on merit should not exist. You’re born a royal so you get a free ride in life while the rest of us are judged by our hard work and intelligence.

I understand no system is perfect but one that gives birth rights is really far from perfect. None of us can aspire to be king so why are there so many that defend it?

#53 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 7:23 pm

The banks are running the RE game…figure out the banks and you can figure out where we are going.

#54 Gravy Train on 12.10.17 at 7:23 pm

#36 Lost…but not leased on 12.10.17 at 5:24 pm
“… One does not necessarily have to be a serial killer to exhibit a monopoly of psychosis….”

I think you’re confusing psychopathy with psychosis (these are entirely different mental disorders). Psychopaths are far more likely to kill than psychotics.

#55 Nonplused on 12.10.17 at 7:32 pm

Smart rooster. It’s a dangerous world out there, full of coyotes. It makes sense to make friends with some muscle.

We have a cat that is a mouser, and she usually only hunts when her best pal the dog is outside. (No mice inside in a long time, if one ever got in since we got the cat I don’t know about it because it didn’t last long.)

So the dog does coyote patrol while the cat mouses. The cat will go outside the dog’s electric collar range, but usually stays within a quick sprint of the dog. Sometimes the cat brings the dog a live mouse and the dog literally has no idea what to do with it except bark. I feel sorry for the poor mouses, fighting for their very life against a cat and dog combo except that I hate them in my house so they have to die. Neither of my neighbors have cats but they have also express appreciation that their properties are within mousing distance and also under the dog’s careful security function. Although the dog can’t get to their properties, he is keenly aware of when a stranger arrives and lets everyone know.

And no the collar is not cruel. It gives an audible warning before zapping and then when it does zap it feels like a TENS machine. We have it turned up just to where it needs to be so he doesn’t say “screw that, I’m chasing the coyote! Or going to visit my friends over at that other house!” (Which he will do if the battery dies.)

Anyway that was all rather pointless. But so was today’s post. Oh well what you going to do some days it’s time to kick back, nothing is going on.

I don’t get the celebrity thing. I once stood in line right behind Chevy Chase at Starbucks. It had to be him, he has a pretty distinct look, and the street outside was riddled with film crew equipment and trailers. Even camping trailers, which I assume were being used as mobile day rooms for the actors. But, being the polite Canadians we are, nobody bothered him. He could have been any other guy, even though we all knew who it was.

#56 Ronaldo on 12.10.17 at 7:37 pm

Just 1000 people own 40% of Bitcoins. Another reason to dump them.

#57 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 7:44 pm

Credit is being heavily used in Canada for home ownership. Once you borrow money – things become very complex. The “what if scenarios” sky rocket and requires the help of computing power.

In response (and with the TheSecretCode never being satisfied and rumored to be associated with employing the same math that the banks do in Canada in a system that is just like what the banks would look at to figure you out) we have coupled such data with triple digit considerations for the broad base coverage of home ownership decisions (in covering all angles) for the purchase of a home.

The math is straight forward, such as what is 20% of $100,000 in order to figure out the down payment. Having all of these variables talk to one another (including how is affects the financial lending system is where it becomes complex. And make no mistake about this problem: it is very complex.

2+billion calculations and thanks computing power it only takes milliseconds. Assessment of 1 asset (that being a home that you might like) can be ripped through in 15 minutes flat pertaining to your current situation and what is on the table.

#58 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 7:52 pm

And what could be better than knowing what your current decision means at the time of deciding?

Knowing what your decision means for the next 60-years (and yes that captures every possible decision you will make while you will try to survive and stay above water).

#59 TRUMP on 12.10.17 at 8:03 pm

#6 I’m stupid

Your absolutely correct….

And that same story follows the Trudeau’s, the Morneau’s, the Bush’s…….etc.

But I do have a solution for you that works – it’s been tested and proven to work 100%.

IF YOU CAN’T BEAT THEM … JOIN THEM

#60 Raging Ranter on 12.10.17 at 8:06 pm

@#52, The Royal family costs Canada virtually nothing. Some security expenses and some pomp and ceremony formalities for the odd state visit, and nothing else. So why should we even care? In a nod to Canada’s British heritage (from which we inherited our democratic and legal traditions, and many of our institutions) I shall continue to be a good subject. It gives me a sense of continuity with the past. Personally, I believe Canada is greater than the sum of its parts, and that our British heritage means something, even if it no longer in vogue to say so. Progressives almost universally bristle in response to any mention of Canada’s British heritage, so there must be something good about it. Giving the modern SJW-progressives one more thing to be offended by is a worthy goal in and of itself. If that’s what being a monarchy does, then call me a Monarchist.

#61 45north on 12.10.17 at 8:10 pm

Sir Wilfrid Laurier University:

Chrisie Blatchford: There are “ominous” signs that Wilfrid Laurier University’s independent fact-finding investigation of the Lindsay Shepherd affair is aiming its guns at none other than Lindsay Shepherd herself.

Rex Murphy: talking about some humanities courses: They are as dogmatic and intolerant of heresies as the churches of old when they held sway. The heresies of today are any deviation from the prescribed progressive truisms of social justice, which constitute the catechism of advanced political correctness. And by the way, throwing the incantation “alt right” at anyone who walks a different path is not the intellectual exorcism that those who avail of this tawdry, manufactured, empty label think it is. It’s a signal that you can’t argue.

Lindsay Shepherd – she has to live with these fools on a day-to-day basis – may God give her strength

oh and here’s the official response of Sir Wilfrid Laurier University:

#62 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 8:12 pm

Want to make life simple when stressing out about home ownership?

This applies to people who actually want to live in a home versus buying to flip / speculate.

Option 1: buy a house 100% in cash so that you do not have to deal with a financial institution.

Option 2: rent.

Let’s throw in a 3rd option – leave BC is all else fails.

I am pretty sure that you can find a rental in Langley, BC for 1,936 per month and for those who argue that the 645.70 per month accumulation in principle (your equity build) is a good investment might want to look for a 1800 per month rental (lots of decent 1400 dollar rentals in the area btw) and do the math on investment returns that are a bit more diversified than one single house. Not much headway being made at this point in the game when having to borrow the money to get in the game.

The rest is a bet on price appreciation/depreciation (100% gambling).

#63 TnT on 12.10.17 at 8:26 pm

#6 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 1:04 pm
The royal family should be stripped of their titles.

#52 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 7:21 pm
For all those that disagree, continue being good subjects.

*****
God Save the Queen!

Monarchies are a necessity for human social cohesion when we went beyond 150 people in a tribe.

The British royal family is a vision of familiarity & stability.
They also grow with you from cradle to grave.

The US have the Stars & Stripes Flag (which is currently under tremendous threat).

ISIS have Allah

Nothing bonds people better when you group up under your Monarchy, Flag or God to kill a bunch of people who banned together under their Monarchy, Flag or God.

This book: Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari can explain it way better than my feeble attempt.

God Save the Queen!

#64 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 8:27 pm

I just found this condo that I want to buy in Langley, BC.

362K asking price. I am going to buy it as an investment property and rent it out. I am dropping 20% down.

I will have a huge line up of people wanting to fork out $1907.47 per month in rent. This is if I don’t tell the CRA. If I play fair and pay my taxes, I guess $3,005.44 is what I will need to charge my tenant. It is okay though, everyone is rich in Langley, BC. I hear of people in Langley, BC are netting 3200 per month from their dream jobs (70+k per year). $200 per month for food and whatever is gravy. Now, let me tell you, that is living the dream – in what used to be a farm field – Langley, BC.

So, I will just charge $3,000 per month. The good news is it will pay for itself in just over 15 years…nothing bad will happen between now and the year 2032.

#65 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 8:38 pm

#59 Trump

You can choose not to vote for Trudeau, you can’t choose who becomes King. Not the same.

#60 Raging renter

Not having them costs us nothing. If my share is a dollar I’d rather burn that dollar than give it to finance their life. We should care because the majority of Quebec, all aboriginals and any Canadian that isn’t of British ancestory finds it offensive.

#66 Victor V on 12.10.17 at 8:43 pm

Bitcoin futures start trading on CBOE exchange

NEW YORK – The newest way to bet on bitcoin arrived on Sunday, with futures of the cryptocurrency that has taken Wall Street by storm starting trading for the first time.

The first bitcoin future trades kicked off at 6 p.m. (2300 GMT) on CBOE Global Markets Inc’s (CBOE.O 0.87%) CBOE Futures Exchange.

Bitcoin January futures were at US$15,940, with 398 contracts traded, after having opened at US$15,460.

#67 Lost...but not leased on 12.10.17 at 8:48 pm

#54 Gravytrain

FYI: “Traditi/%$#@)*&^% onal” semantics become irrelevant when the classic rank -and -file”PLEBS” @ minimum become attuned to “The MAN’s” game.

Attempting to fill in the blanks “____” with above 100% perfection has historically let more of societies’ pond scum at minimum infiltrate amongst us if not outright make us their conquered b*thces.”

Watch-UuUUUuUUUU_gonna do?!?!

#68 Long-Time Lurker on 12.10.17 at 8:55 pm

#64 R on 12.10.17 at 6:21 am

WHY NOT BUY BUFFET BRK-B AFTER ALL HE IS SITTING ON LARGE PILE OF CASH

>She’s a single mom so she only has one income. She may need cash quick in an emergency. Even Buffett had down years if you take a look, as well, so why risk what little money she has? She has too little to diversify for risk, right now, that’s why I recommended the HISA. She might need all of the $15K in an emergency.

#69 akashic record on 12.10.17 at 9:00 pm

Alternative mindsets

The electric universe

The ma/en from Goldman

#70 Regina on 12.10.17 at 9:05 pm

A monarchy is often preferable to a democracy, where the poorly educated are free to choose between two puppets. And thus begat the Orangeman dynasty.
The only problem with royalty is the periodic insanity resulting from the shallow gene pool. Maybe injecting some Markle DNA will make Britain great again. But what to do about the USA?

#71 Lee on 12.10.17 at 9:08 pm

#56 Ronaldo,

Another reason to dump Bitcoin is that there is no limit to how many other crypto currencies can be created. Whilst Bitcoin is limited, you can’t stop someone else from issuing itty-bitty-coin, and so on, and so on. It’s kinda like the baseball card craze of the early nineties. As demand grew so did supply.

#72 dr. talc on 12.10.17 at 9:15 pm

#6 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 1:04 pm

maybe turn yourself in

#73 Leo Trollstoy on 12.10.17 at 9:16 pm

Mark lost, that’s why he doesn’t post here any more

deflation, gold, cad/usd, etc etc

inevitable

#74 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 9:46 pm

#72 Dr Talc

If I did the loyalists here would call for my head. Lol

#75 For those about to flop... on 12.10.17 at 9:59 pm

pm
Hey Flopper,

I haven’t seen a “hand crafted pumpkin spice” advertisement in quite a while.

/////////////////////////

Hey Russ,I just use the official seasons as my markers and so Pink Pumpkins until December 21st and then will revert to the original and still the best ,Pink Snow.

Early next year will be the one year anniversary of my study.

Some people are frustrated with what’s going on in Vancouver real estate and vent towards me,others sit back and appreciate the effort and are just glad that someone is trying to make the picture clearer one piece at a time.

I have no deadline,I will do it for as long as possible as long as the boss of this blog feels that it serves a purpose.

Waiting for bc assessment to update to show some more losses.

Basically at the moment they are still in August…

I wish I was too…

#76 Emily on 12.10.17 at 10:09 pm

Suits is awesome!!

Also, the best government is one ruled by a benevolent dictator who agrees with all my personal views and swiftly crushes the opposition with an iron fist.

That’s pretty much what everyone hopes for.

#77 TRUMP on 12.10.17 at 10:16 pm

#6 I’m Stupid

I am sorry to tell you but you have been ….. Bamboozled (Google it).

You seam to think it matters who you vote for. The system has been rigged by the rich to favor the rich for centuries. Doesn’t matter who you vote for.

Look at every political campaign and count up the amount of donations coming in from the ultra-rich to make sure a certian party gets elected depending on the reforms they promise.

THE LAWS HAVE BEEN WRITTEN BY THE RICH FOR THE RICH….

Vote for whoever you want…… You think the world will change. Nope!!! The rich just find another work around.

Don’t be so gullible!!!!

#78 Blutterfy on 12.10.17 at 10:34 pm

I for one quite like the royals. It’s such a refreshing change to observe celebrities with some class and actual clothes on. I like it.

#79 Lost....but not leased on 12.10.17 at 10:51 pm

IPO…

I am hereby giving notice to create another ad nauseum “crap-to -curry-N-cy”.

FYI:
our mandate = “tell me no secrets =I’ll tell you no lies”
+/- 99.9999 %

#80 ANON on 12.10.17 at 11:06 pm

Has the toilet been flushed since?

#81 SoggyShorts on 12.10.17 at 11:48 pm

#52 I’m stupid on 12.10.17 at 7:21 pm
********************************
Please explain how any rich family is different than royalty. The richest families in Florence in 1472 are still the richest families in Florence today. Should they be stripped of all their possessions?
Are you suggesting we add a 100% estate tax and a ban on giving your offspring anything ever?
If not, how can you expect a level playing field?
What about your kids? Should anything you leave them be taken away?
Did you get anything from your ancestors besides bad genes? If so, you should also give it away, right?
(not the genes though, please keep those to yourself)

For many people one of the biggest goals in life is to give their kids an easier life than they had. You shouldn’t be butthurt that they were better at it than your ancestors were.

#82 Lost....but not leased on 12.10.17 at 11:49 pm

GOLD vs FIAT CURRENCY vs BITCOIN etc…..

Historically…we have had this rather linear ‘Equilibrium” between precious metals(ie GOLD) and fiat currency(…….aka ALL fiat currencies revert to their actual value=ZERO )

Nobody seems to be discussing classic “gold”

…the focus appears to be on a fiscal “menage’ a trois” of:
(i) GOLD vs.
(ii) USD vs.
(iii) CRYPTOCURRENCY DU JOUR

Programs..get yer programs….

#83 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.10.17 at 11:51 pm

#84 jane24 on 12.11.17 at 12:06 am

I think that on the Saturday open day that the Audis indicted that a lot of other RE agents were checking the listing out. Usually happens on the first open day whereas the crickets on the Sunday indicated the level of interest from the general public. Agree that it looks like a giant shed and seems to have a white plastic door. Over-priced. I would want a house that looked like a house for that kind of money.

As I have said before here in the Frau Merkle’s EU, an Audi is not a high end car. Priced about the same as a VW badge or loaded Toyota. Canadians are paying way over the odds for a normal German family car. But then we seem to happily pay way over the odds for everything and never riot in the streets.

#85 april on 12.11.17 at 12:47 am

#75 – Flop, hope you keep it up. You say “losses” I guess only for houses. Condos probably show gains not they are worth half if it. I hope they all drop significantly in 2018.I

Garth, I just clicked ‘submit’ and I get that I’m posting “too quickly” but this is the first and only post for today? I guess I’ll have to wait to post.

#86 F. MacCoul on 12.11.17 at 12:51 am

#9 Smoking Man on 12.10.17 at 1:21 pm
_ _ _

Now now, that is simply playing to stereotypes. Lazy post. You must have ran out of scotch..

#87 morrey on 12.11.17 at 2:11 am

“China is using fake LinkedIn profiles to gather information on German officials and politicians, the German intelligence agency (BfV) has said.”

Garth – You are on their list of who to spy on next

#88 Dolce Vita on 12.11.17 at 5:49 am

Vancouver RE unraveled in 2017, volume and $ wise (by Saretsky, 1 of the honest & bright lights out there in RE):

The unraveling continues.

No “soft landing” here – there never is historically in Cdn. RE, wishful thinking by those with most to lose; thus, NOT different this time. Zolo.ca YVR for past 2 weeks predicts sinking average price drops and year over year, calculates a negative average price drop:

Prices no longer holding. Still, ridiculously over priced but for how long?

ONE economic shock within the next 1 year and Cdn. RE will have its largest asset devaluation in memory.

Hope it is not so BUT the headwinds are there.

#89 under the radar on 12.11.17 at 5:51 am

#64 – You don’t mention the deductions and depreciation available ,and in general there is the possibility of upside appreciation. Not saying the condo is a good investment , but it is a means to providing a steady single digit income stream .

#90 I’m stupid on 12.11.17 at 7:19 am

#81 Soggyshorts

Rich families can go broke. Royals are above bankruptcy. Big difference.

#77 Trump

Your argument is that because you’ve been bamboozled I should accept unelected heads of states. Look in the mirror I’ll guarantee you’ll see a moron.

#91 D Apostrophe on 12.11.17 at 8:12 am

I saw that listing. There is a sucker born every minute so it will sell. The prince and Meghan were on my street in Etobicoke a few months back now.. as she was filming a scene in one of my neighbor’s 12k sq ft manor… as a dog owner.. I can tell you that it’s not a pretty sight when a head of state shows up on your street. Bullet proof SUVs everywhere. Luckily, my H is a well behaved fella.

#92 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.11.17 at 8:12 am

@#81 SoggyShorts
“Please explain how any rich family is different than royalty….”
******

The Kardashians?
“royalty” that deserve to be penniless and anonymous.
The 3rd generation of bratz will be insufferable.

#93 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.11.17 at 8:14 am

@#90 Im Stupid
“Look in the mirror I’ll guarantee you’ll see a moron.”
******

You first.

#94 Depth sounding on 12.11.17 at 8:59 am

#70 Regina on 12.10.17 at 9:05 pm

Could we send Shania Twain to the Miss America Pageant using a forged birth certificate? Replace one of the judges with Nova Scotia’s Herr Grabher, who lives, by the sea. If our “Ms. Milford Sound” in a pair of Russian ermine leg warmers doesn’t do the trick, moore’s the pity.

#95 Odious Otis on 12.11.17 at 9:04 am

Crowdedelevatorfartz is making a lot of noise today. Is it Dollar Daze at Taco Bell?

#96 TurnerNation on 12.11.17 at 9:10 am

Looks like the weekend guest bloggers get their wish of a year end oil pop. However, SJW are concerned about their lack of diversity. How do they feel about wearing a dress?
;-)

On a serious note…TORONTO again. We are all to be equal, no smarter. Imagine a classroom with kids struggling and acting out, and kids who’ve mastered it – bored and acting out? That is our future. Scoring high on aptitude tests – given to every child no holds barred – is a ThoughtCrime now. And people say there is no plan turning us into mindless sexless zombie worker drones glued to our phones??

#97 NoName on 12.11.17 at 9:18 am

#86 F. MacCoul on 12.11.17 at 12:51 am

Running lo not on scotch, but on burbon.

#98 I’m stupid on 12.11.17 at 9:37 am

Everyone is stupid in one way or another, myself included. True stupidity is someone that can’t admit it.

My point regarding royalty is that I don’t believe governance should be based on birth rights. I understand that T2 was elected because his father before him but he was still elected. I understand he got a majority without have a majority of votes. I understand our electoral system is imperfect but that can all change. Making a fairer society down not included, in my opinion, unelected heads of states.

#99 I’m stupid on 12.11.17 at 9:39 am

Does not include

#100 Ace Goodheart on 12.11.17 at 10:04 am

So more news out today as to what the rest of the Universe thinks of our million dollar shacks with 900,000 mortgages.

Remember, everyone has to keep thinking, like the banks told you, a mortgage is not a debt, it’s an asset.

You will never, ever be debt free.

Work is fun.

#101 Big Daddy on 12.11.17 at 10:32 am

#1 Ace…..funny thing about toilet seats…some people them very seriously. My strangest toilet seat story involves Marlon Brandon while in England filming the first Superman movie at Pinewood with Chris Reeves. Brando wanted to stay in a thatch roof country house..and once he’d moved in he quickly ordered an oversized toilet installed for his fat derriere. My friend the producer had no choice but to call a plumber.

#102 Mattl on 12.11.17 at 11:06 am

Flop no one is venting against you because they are frustrated with RE. How could anyone that has been in the market the past 3-20 years be frustrated, everyone has made a bucket load of money. That where my criticism comes from, your “study” focuses on mostly list prices on a handful of homes in the 2-5mm bracket. You year long study results show that short term flips on some homes at the top end of the market are not resulting in huge winfalls.

Meanwhile, homes and condos closer to the median have been going nuts. I could pull up a thousand examples of sellers making bank, on homes closing right now, in YVR. My dad and a good friend both just closed homes in the valley over, over ask in under 7 days. Both homes held for under 5 years and profit over 500k on each. Bottom line is your 1 year study only looks at a fraction….of a fraction of the market.

#103 Damifino on 12.11.17 at 11:10 am

#90 I’m stupid

Look in the mirror I’ll guarantee you’ll see a moron.
———————————-

I tried it. I saw a scholar, gentleman and all-around jolly good fellow. Your mileage may differ.

#104 IHCTD9 on 12.11.17 at 11:49 am

#62 TheSecretCode on 12.10.17 at 8:12 pm

Let’s throw in a 3rd option – leave BC is all else fails.

_______________________________________

There is a new math that is generally not being worked out.

Small town decent household income – $80K/yr
Small town decent house price – $250K
Take home pay – $68K or $5670.00/mo.
Mortgage payment @5.0% is 1450.00/mo.

Mortgage payment as a percentage of take home – 27%
After tax dollars remaining after mortgage payment – 3950.00

Or in the GTA:

More than double median H.I. for the GTA – 200K
Ok GTA SFD – 1.5 Million
Take home pay $152,700.00 or $12,700.00/mo.
Mortgage payment @5.0 $8725.00/mo.

Mortgage payment as a percentage of take home – 69%
After tax dollars remaining after mortgage payment – $3975.00

#105 SoggyShorts on 12.11.17 at 1:02 pm

#98 I’m stupid on 12.11.17 at 9:37 am
********************************
That is totally different than your first post where you recommended that they be stripped of all of their positions AND WEALTH.

Personally I would love it if money and special interests didn’t play a role in politics, but that is incredibly hard to implement since those receiving the money are the ones who’d have to change it.

Look at the USA, you need $1B in airtime to have a shot at being president, and most of that comes from comparatively few people. (Trump got around this with “free” airtime by saying outrageous things every day)

If I could wave a magic wand, there would only be prime-time televised debates, no gerrymandering, and no electoral college. For Canada the same but with no “first past the polls” system, instead the parties win a % of seats based on the % of total votes. You know, something like what T2 promised and then abandoned once the broken system worked for him.

The point is that the royal family is really no more influential than someone contributing massive funds to campaigns in order to have their own puppet elected. Should we get rid of all of that? Yeah, probably, but good luck.

#106 IHCTD9 on 12.11.17 at 1:12 pm

#96 TurnerNation on 12.11.17 at 9:10 am
;-)

_______________________________________

That was a funny article, they had no problems saying that whites were over represented in the gifted schools, but when it came time to admit that east asians are also over represented (probably more so than whites…) it was ” since some cultures tend to focus more on their child’s academic achievement…”

In fact, they did not mention east asians anywhere in that article. If we’re talking about good grades in a big Canadian city, you can’t not talk about East Asians.

Talk about throwing your journalistic credibility right out the window while everyone watches.

#107 fancy_pants on 12.11.17 at 1:51 pm

there are many useless things we could otherwise be doing so evidently useless can be categorized. Many here including myself choose this form of it. keep up the good work Garth

#108 Lost...but not leased on 12.11.17 at 2:27 pm

Re Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Intriguing how times have changed…

Prince Harry is suddenly thrust out into the public after relative anonymity.

His Father, Charles married Diana…who at the time passed ” Olde school ” royal inspection of young, virgin and no skeletons in closet.

Unfortunately the olde school royals were not immune from modern world and its new norms, as Diana divorced Charles..Charles has a new wife. Prince Andy marriage also collapsed.

Point is, Harry’s marriage to Markel would likely never have occurred 30 years ago(she’s divorced, mixed race
etc..)…but now the royals are perhaps waiving the white flag.

Finally the KEY kicker, historically has been “bloodlines”, and apparently Markle passes on that count.

#109 jess on 12.11.17 at 2:53 pm

French Court: Suleiman Kerimov To Pay a US$ 47 Million Bail

Print article
Published: Thursday, 07 December 2017 21:14
Written by Sinead Carolan

#110 Ace Goodheart on 12.11.17 at 3:08 pm

#104 IHCTD9 on 12.11.17 at 11:49 am

“Until folks do the math, they’re not going to realize just how heavy a ball and chain they shackle themselves with via a giant mortgage. You’re spending 25 years feeding your blood, sweat, and tears to the Bank and the previous owner – and for what?

Pay yourself first, live cheap, then invest until you can tell the boss where to go :).”

There are so many people who will never see their houses in the daylight. Know a guy who hit it big with the job situation, making about 400K per year or so (after taxes that is about 1/2 that, and getting worse with T2 in charge, but anyway….). So what to do?

Bought a nice house in a Tony area of Mississauga. Bulldozed it the next day. Then spent a year litigating with the neighbors about what to do with the hole. In the end he won (though looking at what resulted, he shouldn’t have, the neighbors were right, the footprint is wayyyyyy too big for the lot).

At any rate, 9 bathrooms, three kitchens, eight bedrooms and a nanny suite later, the four of them move in (two kids, two adults) with a mortgage in the multiples of millions and a mid five figure property tax bill.

This was three years’ ago. I went to see him a few weeks back. He looks like the dead living. Very angry. A pin dropping would upset him. Has this hopeless, resigned look in his eyes mixed with a lot of anger. Kids do not look happy. Wife was drunk (her usual condition now, about a bottle of wine a day I am told, starts in the mid morning and finishes in the evening).

The house looks like something out of an episode of “Cribs”.

But man those people are brutally unhappy. That is what debt does to you. When you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel and you are just plowing through endless night like that I can see how it all falls apart for a person. All for a house.

Oh well. Canada is this nutty place that tries to be like the States with all the riches and the wealth getting thrown around, but we are taxed like Western Europeans. Get the short end of every stick here.

#111 oncebittwiceshy on 12.11.17 at 3:12 pm

102 Mattl:”Both homes held for under 5 years and profit over 500k on each. Bottom line is your 1 year study only looks at a fraction….of a fraction of the market.”

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

…. or perhaps Flop is actually in tune with the current market and you are remembering the glory days.

#112 Lost...but not leased on 12.11.17 at 3:14 pm

Governance models…Monarchy vs the rest.

Clearly there is no perfect model. Democracy was good in theory, but only if each elected representative has a “free agent” and no allegiance to any party. Once the party system took hold…its really not much more than a dictatorship…moreso since Pierre Trudeau and his denigrating comments abut MP’s being “nobodies”.

Monarchy’s ??…are dependent on the degree of benevolency of the rulers to avoid civil unrest. In a homogeneous culture, it can function.

Britain’s monarchy….shouldn’t be patting itself on the back. If the English Channel didn’t exist, history would have had a dramatic turn….as Britains claim to fame was its Island status and having developed a powerful navy and plundering colonies. Mainland Europe??? not so lucky.

One intriguing turning point was Russia, in early 1900’s… under the Czar prior to the revolution. The Czar sensed a restless populace and had his Prime Minister commence with land reforms that would have created a large middle class…but the course of history drifted elsewhere.

#113 jess on 12.11.17 at 3:38 pm

Hackers hit U.S., Russian banks in ATM robbery scam: report

#114 Lost...but not leased on 12.11.17 at 4:06 pm

#111 oncebittwiceshy

Thinkpol article quite intriguing..IMHO adds more credence to Flops posts.

“my realty check” site also shows overwhelming number of price drops vs increases. Increases are becoming few and far between anomalies.

Where is there evidence to any (downward) trend other than the aforementioned ? Steve Saretzky blog duly notes a 15% drop in total dollars spent on RE.,,but most of this is in detached homes, while condos still enjoy an upward climb.

However, as should be obvious the condo market is for THE greatest fools as this has the highest potential to crash and burn in biblical proportions the longer this bubble continues.

#115 IHCTD9 on 12.11.17 at 4:09 pm

#110 Ace Goodheart on 12.11.17 at 3:08 pm
________________________________

That’s a scary story, I can’t imagine living like that. In the end he’ll likely get divorced, lose it all, and be lucky to still be drawing breath 5 years later.

When the wife and I bought a house, our combined income was about 90K, the house was 123K, interest rate was 6.4%, and the monthly was ~1200.00 all in. That was more than double our rent, and it seemed like we were pointing ourselves towards white water.

lol.

I hope your buddy’s wife also got a job making 400K.

#116 James on 12.11.17 at 4:15 pm

#31 Smoking Man on 12.10.17 at 4:50 pm

#25 Screwed Canadian Millenial on 12.10.17 at 3:36 pm
#70 Smoking Man on 12.09.17 at 3:32 am
Seek help. You have a mental disorder.

Dr Smoking Man
PhD Herdonomics

—————————————

…………………………………………………..
I’ll will take some time but you will be one two.
………………………………………………………………
Its only Marxism if you let it be so. You smoking man are are a welcome despot in the land of Trumpisims. Good luck in hell cause that’s where Trump and his brand are headed. I lived in LA before so you can have it.

#117 Mattl on 12.11.17 at 4:41 pm

#111 the article linked is about 40 high end homes that the reporter couldn’t verify the numbers on. Looking at it, thats probably Flop that sent his “folder” over. Spending a few hours a day looking for homes that may sell below purchase price is not a study, and the posts are not data.

You may consider 40-50 high end homes purchased recently to be an indicator of a market that turns 36k a year, to each their own. Bottom line is the benchmark price continues to increase double digits yoy and most homes in most cities are up 60-80 percent over the last 5 years. If buying a home in Maple Ridge in 2012 for 400k and selling it in October 2017 for 720k is carving pink pumpkins then you and I must have a different understanding on what RE losses mean.

In any market people will lose and make money on RE. There are good and bad buys happening every day. Direction of the market out here is still insane. That may change, and likely will with the new OSFI rules but anyone telling you that median home prices are down in YVR has an agenda or is ingnorant to how the market works. Trust me it is still silly season out here. When the market does crash it will be ugly, and all over the news. A crash or correction isn’t being covered becausenas of yet course it hasn’t happened.

#118 Keith in Rio on 12.11.17 at 5:05 pm

“Pay yourself first, live cheap, then invest until you can tell the boss where to go :)”

This is the only advice worth following.

A property is not an investment, its where you sleep, shit, shower, and shave. You spend about 12 hours a day in one, and 8 of those hours are asleep. What waste of money to buy more than you need.

If I was filthy rich, I’d live in the Four Seasons or some other high end hotel for the rest of my life. Get bored in one city, move to the next, etc.

#119 Ronaldo on 12.11.17 at 5:19 pm

#71 Lee on 12.10.17 at 9:08 pm

#56 Ronaldo,

—————————————————————–
I remember that craze as well. Didn’t end well either. There are no shortage of greater fools either it seems by the way it is trading today. Fun to watch though. I have three companies that I put some play money into a while back HIVE, CODE, BCTS:US, two seem to be riding the wave of bitcoin today. This mania has a ways to run yet. I suspect that those holding the most of the bitcoins will be slowly dumping so as not to upset the market. Will be interesting to see what the shorters do.

#120 Sultan of Sudbury on 12.11.17 at 5:34 pm

Come’on Gartho, don’t let Laurentian Bank of the hook this easily. This is your moment.

#121 down_boy on 12.11.17 at 5:46 pm

A royal flush, a dumpster diving hero, and ideal trading pairs…
real news! And a breath of fresh air.

Hope somebody took my hint last week and trifled in some LTC.
Up 49.8%
ToDaY

#122 jess on 12.11.17 at 5:50 pm

“benefit managers”

Insulin Overpricing

Boss, et al. v. CVS Health Corp. et al.
United States District Court, District of New Jersey
No. 3:17-cv-01823-BRM-LHG

#123 jess on 12.11.17 at 5:53 pm

> 23 000 entrants

Feds crack down on multimillion-dollar football pool
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 9, 2017, 11:05 AM EST

#124 oopswediditagain on 12.11.17 at 6:08 pm

Mattl:” the article linked is about 40 high end homes that the reporter couldn’t verify the numbers on.”
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"As the property purchases were made within the last two years, ThinkPol was able to validate this data using information published by BC Assessment."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Mattl, the biggest problem that you have is that you are ignoring the most important indicator. Speculators, with lots of money, bought and sold for a loss. These are not $500,000 homes, condos or townhomes.

This is "real" money getting out while they can. 90% of these flips were made in 2016 before the new OSFI rules were announced.

They didn't get out at a loss because they enjoyed losing money. These are not naive buyers. They got out because they knew that they would get killed in 2018.

I would say that these speculators are probably market insiders that are getting out while the gettings good.

#125 down_boy on 12.11.17 at 6:20 pm

#103 Damifino on 12.11.17 at 11:10 am
#90 I’m stupid

Look in the mirror I’ll guarantee you’ll see a moron.
———————————-

….
I see a fool, an idiot, and someone who wasted half his life. The only good thing is, he was worse yesterday.

#126 Mattl on 12.11.17 at 7:55 pm

124 – once again, 40 cherry picked homes over two years does not indicate anything. There were 70k homes sold in that period, and I’d guess 69k of them were sales above previous. Are some speculators getting out, ok sure. Ever been to Cole Harbour? Its been a ghost town for 15 years, clearly the number of investors getting out is dwarfed by the ones staying in. Which is my point…if you have to spend milultiple hours per day, and use misleading numbers like list price and recent assessment to try and show a market in freefall, and all you can come up with is 40 homes that lost a few points of please don’t expect anyone that actually lives here to go along with.

Don’t believe me go and find a nice home in Langley or Port Moody at a discount over previous sale.
Let me know how you make out. My experience… sold a house this summer in the Valley and moved to a cheaper market. There were no deals or pink pumpkins to be had.

#127 Future Expatriate on 12.11.17 at 9:41 pm

#1 “used the toilet” doesn’t necessarily imply he used it for the usual purpose. He probably was roaring drunk and “made love” to it, which wouldn’t require the wooden safety seat.

But would have been a lot messier to clean up.