Boom

sad-modified

He posted here 285 times, between October of 2013 and May of this year. At first he was ‘Retired Boomer WI,’ presumably because he was a wrinklie in Wisconsin. Later it was just ‘Boom.’ Over that time, his fan base grew.

Typical was this response to a know-it-all moister who took to this blog to dump on the previous generation:

“You DO realize anyone of us Boomers could have written (or did write) essentially the same sentiments? Garth’s comment “So cute. Hey, that’s me in 1969. The times-are-a-changing’ again.” SO fitting, AND so true!!!

“Many of us so hated the Vietnam War, the racism, the lies, the ‘unfair’ laws. Yeah, some of it got changed, some did not. We took to the streets to change things, not to kill. In another 40-50 years you will probably note similar results, and have your kids, and grandkids generations thinking you guys were the dumbest asses yet created.

“Here is the baton of leadership – Don’t blow it, kid.”

He was a Bernie Sanders supporter, and Trump sympathizer. During the interminably long US election process, he posted here daily. Actually, several times a day. Never without insight.

“I like Bernie -he will get my vote not Hillary. School costs today are astronomical! Even in my day, sorry, I could not justify the “added cost” of a college education. 2 years was enough. You could find that entry level job and show the employer what you possessed. Today, not likely possible.

“Things do change…not always for the better.

“Yes, there is a difference between countries, sad to say. You have all the available land, sources up the ying yang, and timber. House prices that do NOT reflect reality. Why should that be?… I can’t answer that one.

“We certainly have our problems. Look at the average wages in the US. With a minimum wage of $7.35 an hour tough to pay rent, forget owning anything. Yes, minimum wages should be closer to $9-10 per hour. That said, I hear of young who can’t show up on time, have no initiative, etc. Might that imply at $7.35 they’re ‘overpaid’ for what they’re worth? Contemplate that…

“I have no easy answers. No a lot of my fellow Boomers have not saved diddly for retirement. Not that they could NOT, but that they did NOT. They will be seeing a crappy retirement, and turn to their kids and gov for support.

“Seen this a bit with my parents generation, but not like what I fear in the next 20-30 years! Like I said, here’s the Baton…. Funny Bernie (age 74) not a Boomer, sees things better than anybody else running here. By the way, we pay LESS overall tax burden here now than 60 years ago. See have LESS union labor than 60 years ago as well.

“Have we seen social progress since?…. I vote NO. Others might argue, let them…”

The Internet is largely anonymous. This blog, save for me, is anon. People come and go, post comments, usually off-the-cuff, often abrasive or ad hominem, shallow and spontaneous. It’s what you’d expect. So Boom’s commentaries – folksy, clad in the patina of experience, unvarnished, revealing – were awaited by many. Lately some regulars here have wondered why Boom went silent.

On Christmas Day I dug a little, found an email address and a name. Roy Stacey.

roy

Roy:

I hope and trust all is well with you.

Just a note to let you know many kind words have been dropped on my blog in recent months, lamenting your departure and hoping you are well.

It would be appreciated if I could pass on some comments from you, and provide an update for your fans.

Regards,
Garth

Today, this reply came to my inbox:

This is not Roy, but his son Paul.  I am sorry to have to tell you that Roy passed away on Sept. 5, 2016.  It has been a rather difficult adjustment for myself and my mother to make.  He really loved your blog and was on it daily, or sometimes several times a day (and has done so for years) and has all of your books also.  We included the last few posts from him that we could find (it took quite a bit of digging) in our annual Christmas letter this year, as he would always have a political rant (or two) in each one.  We appreciate that he has been missed not only by yourself, but by other people on the blog as well.  We will all miss his sarcasm, his mischievous ways, his wit, his wealth of knowledge, but most of all his genuine concern for others.  Thank you.

Roy Stacey was 64. I miss him.

“As a much younger guy, I used my employer’s offering for the RRSP (known in the US as a 401-K) as my first saving for retirement vehicle. I was making a whopping $14,582 at the time (1987). The more you made the more you could stuff away – Tax Deferred.

“The “hook” in these plans, when you finally do take the money out, it is taxable at your then current tax bracket rate. If I decided to take ALL my money out in one year, that would place me in the HIGHEST tax bracket there is presently. If I take out much less, my taxes due become much less.

“Over the years, it is not the money I put in there that is important, it is the growth of it over time.

“The TFSA (US version is the ROTH) is a very different animal. You get no deduction on what you put in. The growth over time is identical to the same investment in an RRSP. The key difference is no taxes on that growth over time.

“ALL can put the same amounts in, not dependent on how ‘much’ one earns. Therefore, ALL have the identical opportunity to achieve the same ends. Ultimately FAIR & EQUAL. (The contribution limits are limited). If you want to be financially secure when you get to geezerdom, this is a fine way to go.

“I personally started with the tax deferred plan because it was the only one available then. The TFSA (ROTH) came later, and has a lower limit. I used both, and over time did ok using both. Now, I can move some money from the taxable, to the ROTH every year, pay my taxes due, and never have to pay taxes on the growth going forward.

“It also helps my heirs who will inherit whatever I don’t use, when I hit room temperature.

“(I’m married each ‘I’ should be read as ‘we’). YOU have to start somewhere, sometime, with some saving commitment! If you do not, you will have achieved what about a quarter of all people achieve – poverty!

“Money (wealth) is not a respecter of generations, or generational envy. This is merely the effect of effort, and time. TIME is your friend in investing, don’t piss it away.”

#1 pathcontrolmonk on 12.26.16 at 6:01 pm

“Don’t buy green bananas.”

RIP Roy.

#2 Spectacle on 12.26.16 at 6:01 pm

Merry Christmas to Every Blog dog.

Roy had Integrity, much as does Mr. Turner.

Thanks for that……….

M

#3 Randy on 12.26.16 at 6:02 pm

Live in the present. My dog lives in the here and now, that’s why I admire him.

#4 Henry on 12.26.16 at 6:06 pm

RIP… Sad to see you go… Miss your posts.

#5 Junkieman on 12.26.16 at 6:07 pm

Garth, the feels, I was a big fan of Roy, and now I’m sad. If and when this pathetic blog shuts down, I will also have little cry or just go full smokingman.

#6 Metaxa on 12.26.16 at 6:13 pm

well, poo!
I enjoyed Boom’s musings a lot.

to me he was the US American I meet every time I travel to the States, not the media given extremes (on both sides) presented all to regularly.

64 is way too young, 2016 has been way too long…

#7 AB Boxster on 12.26.16 at 6:27 pm

I wondered where ‘Retired Boomer WI’ disappeared to.

When his posts disappeared I suspected the worst since he was a prolific poster.

The online world is fairly odd that way, in that you have ‘friends’ that you may communicate with, but really know nothing about.
And when real people actually die, their online persona often remains and is difficult to remove.

Mr. Stacy always had some interesting comments and life perspective from a disappearing generation.

Kudos for following up on him, and making him a little better known to the rest of us.

#8 OttawaMike on 12.26.16 at 6:29 pm

Thanks for looking into that.

Thanks for all the wisdom, Roy. Too soon. Life is precious value your minutes on this Earth everybody.

#9 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.26.16 at 6:35 pm

Shame.
He had some great comments.
He’s missed already.

R.I.P. “Retired Boomer WI”, aka “Boom” , aka Roy

#10 A belieber on 12.26.16 at 6:38 pm

I can’t remember if the baton of leadership comment was directed at me or not but it was one of my favourite comments on here. A unique perspective and down-to-earth commentary Boom brought to the blog. Rest in Peace.

#11 totalchaos on 12.26.16 at 6:41 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of Mr. Stacey’s passing. And so young too. When I look at the comment section, I only read a select few, but I always looked for Retired Boomer WI. His common sense, practical outlook was always appreciated. He didn’t put on airs, seemed content and happy. My deepest condolences to his family.

#12 Bram on 12.26.16 at 6:43 pm

My best to Roy’s family.

Do you know who also stopped posting comments?
Resident billionaire blog dog ‘Doomer Gloomer.’
He seems to have disappeared in ’15.
What happened to him?

#13 Whinepegger on 12.26.16 at 6:44 pm

Garth, your interest in one of your daily tormentors, to the point of inquiring as to his well-being, sets as great an example for the rest of us as any of your exceptional financial/real estate advice. Thank you. May Boom R.I.P.

#14 Debtslavecreator on 12.26.16 at 6:56 pm

RIP boom
Good old fashioned financial prudence is lacking in Canada today.
Compound interest folks – those who understand it, earn it. Those who don’t pay it.
Happy holidays to all !

#15 AJ on 12.26.16 at 6:57 pm

Rest in peace Roy. Thank you for taking your time to share with us. And thank you Garth for the sad update.

#16 Tim on 12.26.16 at 7:04 pm

My sympathies to Paul and his mother on their loss.

Kudos to Garth for following up.

#17 acdel on 12.26.16 at 7:05 pm

A little late but R.I.P Roy (Boomer).

All the best to you Paul and your mother!

Life is so short; appreciate what you have.

Happy New Year Dogs, thanks Garth!

#18 Gen-X first poster on 12.26.16 at 7:10 pm

Rest in Peace Roy,
I really enjoy Roy smart and witty posts. Even though we are from different generations, I appreciate and respect his writing. We lost a great contributor.

#19 Doug t on 12.26.16 at 7:11 pm

Time is also our enemy – RIP Roy

#20 Efficientsense on 12.26.16 at 7:15 pm

I’m sorry to hear this. God bless.

#21 Mark on 12.26.16 at 7:16 pm

My profound condolences to the Stacey family go out on the hearing of this news. Although I don’t remember writing anything in criticism of ‘Retired Boomer WI’, I believe his behavior at all times when he responded to me or others was honourable. As a blog comments section, we are weaker for his absence. May Mr. Stacey rest in peace, and may we be reminded that our time on Earth, even if it is spent writing comments on blogs, is precious.

#22 Freedom First on 12.26.16 at 7:20 pm

Thank you Garth for doing what you did to find out about Boom. Very heartwarming.

Also, a thank you to Loft and others who inquired about the well being of Boom.

And to Paul, a big thank you for writing your beautiful message to us Blog dogs about your Dad, Roy. I am sincerely sorry for your loss. I am 63, and old school, like your Dad. Though I must admit, I do not have your Dad’s class. I know, I read and enjoyed all of Roy’s posts.

#23 Chickenlittle on 12.26.16 at 7:33 pm

I’m sorry to hear that! I was off the blog for a bit and when I came back I couldn’t find his comments..Now I know!
RIP Roy!

#24 joblo on 12.26.16 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for the news Garth, so sad.

#25 Shiny1 on 12.26.16 at 7:35 pm

RIP Roy! I too, read all of Roy’s well thought out comments, as much as time allowed. Will miss his south of the 49th take on blog topics.
All the best to Blog god Garth and fellow “deplorables”!!

#26 Nemesis on 12.26.16 at 7:36 pm

#”Oh,IHaveSlippedTheSurlyBondsOfEarth”…

#27 Entrepreneur on 12.26.16 at 7:37 pm

R.I.P. Boomer and probably up there in heaven talking a storm to help others.

#28 For those about to flop... on 12.26.16 at 7:44 pm

This is gonna hurt…

How does a kid from Tasmania that lives in Vancouver and a guy from a small town near La Crosse ,Wisconsin become such good online friends in relatively short period of time?

Well if I have to put a finger on it I would say that we were both looking for something the other one could help with.

As Garth alluded to he had a way of relaying his experience without rubbing it your face or looking down on you.He taught me many little lessons that I will now try to execute.

To fully explain my side of things, I am estranged from my own parents.When I decided to get married and live in Canada this caused a massive family bust up that has continued to this day.I have not spoken to my parents since 2003 and I didn’t really have have anyone to help me with financial advice and the planning side of things.

Upon reflection this is why instead of getting into generational spats I chose to look at both Garth and Boom as guardians on the more serious side of things that happen and in life.

As for what I had to offer Boom…you tell me ….perhaps it was just that someone cared what was on his mind,not saying for one minute that his family didn’t love him but writing on here can be therapeutic and help you learn about yourself and help see what other people’s opinions are on subjects you are interested in.

We extended invitations to each other to visit but I didn’t care if we ever met to confirm our online friendship,I believed who he said he was but that became irrelevant as the main attraction was exchanging views and having a laugh.

He didn’t need my invitation to post here ,but as I alluded to on a post in the previous thread ,I would quite often start a post with “Hey Boom…” just to get him into the conversation and see what his thoughts were on a certain subject.I think he appreciated this.

I could tell that the respect was mutual when he changed his name to what I had been calling him as a short cut and he supported my GAP code idea by finishing off his posts with M64WI

As I read this post today a tear rolled down my cheek but then subsidedand my thoughts turned to his family when I found out that his sons name was Paul, who he joked about on the blog and my only sibling share the same name.We would have laughed about that one.

I wondered if I would ever have closure on what happened to him and I am grateful to Garth for doing this post ,it hurt a lot but I can only imagine what his family is going through.

At this time I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the Stacey family and I am proud to have had him as a friend.

I did go back a few weeks ago to see what he wrote for his last couple of posts to see if I had missed something.

Turns out,the thing I was missing was my blog buddy Boom.

Rest in peace Roy…

M64WI

#29 Johnny Django on 12.26.16 at 7:58 pm

Here is Roy Stacey’s obituary from La Crosse Tribune. http://lacrossetribune.com/lifestyles/announcements/obituaries/obituary-roy-h-stacey/article_f0611b38-9fc0-52e6-8607-d3ba3ddd6925.html

#30 Turtle on 12.26.16 at 8:02 pm

Roy… what a great family wife-loving guy… So sorry to hear this… No one can fill his shoes, no one…

#31 Nonplused on 12.26.16 at 8:04 pm

Sad news.

#32 Cici on 12.26.16 at 8:09 pm

So sad to hear of Roy’s passing…his comment-section posts were my absolute favourite. He always had something intelligent, yet down-to-earth and inspirational to say.
Unfortunately, I didn’t even notice that Boom wasn’t posting anymore, because I’ve had to give up reading through the comments section…my little buddy was born six days before Roy passed away, and I’ve had my hands full ever since (right now he’s napping…an oddly miraculous occurrence).
Although Roy left us early, as FREEDOM FIRST says, he was a class act and got a lot of things right. Not only did he save and invest and pass his knowledge on to the rest of us, he obviously went beyond the financial, investing precious time and energy in his family, who loved and cherished him so much. They are blessed and so was he. And so were we by ricochet.

#33 Dark Matter on 12.26.16 at 8:19 pm

RIP Boomer. 64 is too young!

#34 BC_Doc on 12.26.16 at 8:22 pm

RIP Roy.

Where in Wisconsin was Boomer from? I spent 4+ years as an undergrad at Marquette University. A lot of great things come out of Wisconsin– Miller beer, cheese, and my wife. I married a Wauwatosa girl nearly 25 years ago.

Happy holidays,

BC Doc

#35 DON on 12.26.16 at 8:23 pm

Boom: My sympathies to his family.

Truly a man of integrity and wisdom. I will miss his point of view.

Garth – thanks for the online community.

#36 tkid on 12.26.16 at 8:24 pm

My deepest condolences to his family. His wit and wisdom are missed by this blog dog.

#37 The Great Gazoo on 12.26.16 at 8:24 pm

Nice touch Garth to track down what happened to Roy.

This blog is more than just a site to learn about best practices in financial management and share ideas, but you have built a sense of community.

I was sad to hear that “Retired Boomer WI” is no longer with us. Reminder to us all, that each day is precious and to live it in a dignified manner and treat others with respect.

For those interested in reading more about Roy Stacey, see his online obituary:

#38 DON on 12.26.16 at 8:25 pm

How about Nosty?

#39 BC_Doc on 12.26.16 at 8:26 pm

Sorry, obituary posted from Johnny D popped up just after I posted above comment.

#40 joblo on 12.26.16 at 8:29 pm

For those who are interested.

#41 Canadian Moose on 12.26.16 at 8:33 pm

Life is like that. One minute you are here and the next your gone. Lost way to many this year. A reminder to live your life to the fullest and treasure the moments! Greater Fool has sorta now become an online family to me now. How crazy is that? And when a we lose the wisdom of a good soul like “Boom” this blog seems poorer for it.

Rest in Peace Roy. You will be missed! Bless you from the Hinterland

#42 cramar on 12.26.16 at 8:39 pm

I am much sadden to hear of the passing of Roy Stacy, a.k.a. ‘Retired Boomer WI’ as everyone knew him. Sixty-four is far too young for a fellow Boomer to reach the end of life. I too enjoyed his perspicacity and perspicuity. He was a refreshing voice of freshness to counter the millennial hot air this blog seems to attract—like millennial moths to the boomer flame! He will be greatly missed. I guess will we just have to pick up the torch he carried.

And thanks to you Garth for actually caring enough to contact a lowly blog dog to find out his welfare. That is probably why you got ousted from politics. You actually care about people. Too radical and dangerous for a politician.

#43 Fed-up on 12.26.16 at 8:40 pm

What a wonderful and insightful gentleman we have lost.

Rest in peace sir. My condolences go out to your family.

#44 Smoking Man on 12.26.16 at 8:47 pm

That sucks, retired boomer and herb were one of the few blog dogs I would Ctr+F, then they vanished, never realized he was Boom.

I hope that he had everything checked off his bucket list.

Paul, I think me and your dad traded a few swipes at each other, all in good fun, of course. Sucks huge to lose a loved one, but I’m sure where ever he is now, he’s happy as shit he went before a son or daughter.

We are born to die, so long as Garth pays his internet hosting fees a part of Roy will live forever in the archives.

That’s why all of you should write a book, don’t matter how ridiculous it is. Get a piece of your soul out there. Even if it’s not perfect.

Paul sincere condolences to you and your family.

Smokey

#45 Polls R Phake on 12.26.16 at 8:48 pm

Roy was awesome.

And the global warming keeps coming down in Vancouver. 30 cm of global warming.

#46 GsAmazon on 12.26.16 at 8:53 pm

Nooo. I never skipped over his comments so I’ve probably read almost all of them – always apt, thoughtful and often laugh out loud funny – his advice and input will be missed. RIP Retired Boomer WI – hope you knew you were appreciated on this pathetic blog.

#47 For those about to flop... on 12.26.16 at 8:54 pm

Boom and I wrote each other a lot of times….this is an exchange a few days before he passed away.
We didn’t always stay on topic but we exchanged information ,quite often with a sense of humour….
///////////////////////////////////////////

#133 For those about to flop… on 09.01.16 at 12:01 pm
#122 BOOM! on 09.01.16 at 10:56 am
Did a bit of unofficial polling among people around here. A lot of Trump support out there. Despite what the MSM is reporting, and today are they really doing on the ground inquiry or, relying on purchased data?

While I am no fan or Hillary, I can’t see the dim bulb Trump having the mental acuity to perform. Do I wish Pence as the defacto president, much like Chaney? Hell No! Pence was a ridiculous governor of Indiana, not a place I would wish to live, or the philosophy of any future president I might wish to see.

Most ‘defective’ presidential candidates ever! Makes for interesting times. A central bank clueless, a congress worthless, and a populace joyless. Yes, this is America.

M64WI

///////////////////////////////////

Hey Boom,remember what I wrote about a recent trip to Washington state ?

There were Trump signs everywhere,only seen one Hillary sign,something was not right.

My favourite one I saw and I wanted to take a photo for the boss ,was a Trump sign on some guys front lawn and then a few feet over he had another sign”In God we trust”

I laughed my bum off ,but there was nowhere to pull over to take a photo.

Guess you had to be there…

#48 Victor V on 12.26.16 at 8:57 pm

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long – and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.

#49 robert james on 12.26.16 at 8:57 pm

You did a good thing, Garth !! for your concern for Roy.. Roy passed a way ,way too soon as he could contribute so much more.. I went down to Wisconsin once,, I thought it was a beautiful state with all the dairy farms .. We drove from Sask. to Wisconsin Rapids so did not see a lot but I do remember the dairy farms..RIP Roy!!

#50 Interstellar Old Yeller on 12.26.16 at 9:00 pm

I’m super sorry Roy/BOOM! is gone. He sounded like he was enjoying life and always had thoughtful, wise words to share. My condolences to his family. Thanks for checking in with him, Garth, and for updating us.

#51 MagnumMtl on 12.26.16 at 9:02 pm

May his memory forever be a blessing

#52 Darryl on 12.26.16 at 9:05 pm

Sad news bout a classy blog dog . Always respectfully made his point . ( Mostly ) I too missed his posts and hoped for the day he would return and post that he went on a long bucket list trip .
RIP Roy and respect .

#53 SWL1976 on 12.26.16 at 9:07 pm

RIP BOOM,

I figured something happened to the pleasent and thoughtful boomer from Wisconsin, as he all of the sudden no longer took the time to chime in on the converstation here.

You have built quite a forum here Garth, with an eccentric and passionate following. We may not all get along, but most here bring something to the table. Like it or no we are somewhat of a dysfunctional family.

Thanks for taking the time to update us

#54 FRANK BURNS on 12.26.16 at 9:08 pm

thanks Garth ,condolences to the Stacey Family

#55 Smoking Man on 12.26.16 at 9:09 pm

#28 For those about to flop… on 12.26.16 at 7:44 pm
This is gonna hurt…

Turns out,the thing I was missing was my blog buddy Boom.

Rest in peace Roy…

M64WI
……

Very nice words For those about to flop, worth a repeat.
Just the fact you teared up, made me tear up a bit, glad you found a buddy on here, have a few myself. after getting to know them a bit, I see how you feel.

Garth, thanks for sharing this. I always tell people you’re a good shit, for any doubters, today is 100% proof.

#56 John in Mtl on 12.26.16 at 9:13 pm

To inquire about the dissappearance of a long-time poster says a lot about the kind-hearted soul you are, Garth. Yeah, its just a blog and He was just another anonymous poster. Until today.

It is nice to see the face behind the anonymity once in a while. So now, I can remember Roy Stacey the man, not the anonymous poster. His parting serves as yet another reminder to enjoy life and our time here on earth; here-and-now. I’m “old school” too – work smart, live below your means, set aside for a rainy day or early retirement. These “old fashioned” precepts have always served me well, as they probably did for Roy as well; and for all of us here that are not blinded by the glitz and memes of our current society and history.

May you rest in peace, Mister Stacey.

Thank you Garth, for devoting todays blog entry to the man. And, thanks for everything you do.

#57 waiting on the westcoast on 12.26.16 at 9:15 pm

Sad to hear about Roy. I wish his family all the best. He really was one of the good ones on this site!

Garth – thanks for choosing the circle.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

#58 Cervelo on 12.26.16 at 9:19 pm

My first ever post! After several years of reading the blog.

I always thought that “Retired Boomer WI” was a very classy guy and as others have said spoke for the typical decent American who respected others, and had smart ideas.

#59 Keeping the Faith on 12.26.16 at 9:19 pm

Thank you for sharing Garth and once again thank you for all that you do.

Often I come and read only your post, other times I find the time to review the first dozen or so posts.
… that said, I agree with your previous posters questions and sentiments, Retired Boomer WI had some insights and valued commentary that I always enjoyed reading.

RIP Roy, we will all meet you there one day.
As always, you’re going down a path that invariably others will follow and in this case, we have no choice.

#60 cramar on 12.26.16 at 9:20 pm

Speaking of Boomers…

Are Americans smarter than Canadians?

The PBS news carried a story this evening that the mini-boom in U.S. RE is being fuelled by the two largest demographics. Both Millennials and Boomers are more active in the market this past year. With Boomers, they are downsizing! Increasingly they are selling and entering gated Boomer communities.

Made me wonder if the typical American Boomer was sitting on million-dollar RE like in Vancouver or the GTA, would they jump at the golden opportunity and cash out? Not like our dumb Canuck Boomers who stay put!

#61 Millennial Realist on 12.26.16 at 9:24 pm

I am sad to hear this about Roy, Retired Boomer WI. My thoughts are with his family, and best to them for this season.

Roy was obviously a smart, kind, decent fellow. The response Garth has posted above, to a “know-it-all moister”, was to me. (Sigh….I’ll address the ongoing generational bigotry promulgated on this blog against non-boomers in later postings, not to mention the misogyny. So sadly out of touch, so dated.)

What Garth has rather selectively cut and pasted above was actually part of a thoughtful, respectful, extended exchange Roy and I had that day. He acknowledged the validity of my concerns, while still standing up for his views. A good guy for sure. Wish I could have met him.

Here are some of the key things talked about in our back and forth:

(To) #173 Retired Boomer

“Here is the baton of leadership – Don’t blow it, kid.”

As usual, Retired Boomer, your comments seem thoughtful and balanced, with a generous spirit.

Thanks for your approach. Sorry if I come across as angry, but like a lot of people I am “feeling the Bern’” these days.

“Many of us so hated the Vietnam War, the racism, the lies, the ‘unfair’ laws. Yeah, some of it got changed, some did not. We took to the streets to change things, not to kill. ”

Here’s a key difference: We can oppose similar things as well today. But in your youth, you could oppose those things, yet still have the calm of basic economic fairness to come home to after the protests. This included decent-paying jobs, upward mobility, a buy-local attitude, straightforward opportunity to own a home in your twenties (not having to wait until your forties like many now) and start a family. And most Boomers got so comfortable, so quickly, so easily, that they quickly came to look back on their earlier protests as “just a phase” in growing up.

We have none of that comfort today.

Is that a meaningful difference? We sure think so. Wouldn’t you if you had to deal with Vietnam and racism and as well as grotesque economic inequality that meant you could never know if you had a decent paycheck next month even though you were busting your ass to find work?

The human lifespan has not gotten much longer, so we all still only have so much time to have a life and all that matters in it. We’ll spend most of ours, if lucky, just scrambling into the middle class reality that you pretty much started with when you were 20.

“In another 40-50 years you will probably note similar results, and have your kids, and grandkids generations thinking you guys were the dumbest asses yet created.”

I would love to have little ones telling me how dumb I am :) I am sure they would mostly be right, too.

But for so many of my friends, we won’t be having kids, or grandkids, at all. Our economic adolescence has been made near-permanent by the distorted system that has, largely, been created and supported by your generation, enriching the 1% and blaming everyone below for their “own financial errors.”

Instead, the controlling elites will encourage more impoverished immigrants and temporary foreign workers to come to Canada, to fill any employment population gaps. They won’t complain, either.

The kids of the future will have far fewer decent jobs. Climate change will be wreaking havoc. Technology will be further appropriated by the few, even medical technology to extend human lives – if you’re rich enough.

But there will probably be a lot of positions in policing and being domestic servants, as long as you go along with the herd.

Unless we say enough is enough, and fight for change now.

I will say it again:

People are not voting out of some sudden conversion to “socialism”.

They are voting their wallets. In North America, that has always been the most powerful force for social change.

This time too. I think it is already unstoppable.

__________________________________________

That was in February. And today?

It appears I was wrong on Bernie, sort of, in the short term. He lost.

But Trump won. Not so weird when you think about it. Hillary epitomized the failure of the establishment Boomer generation. Her husband brought in the hateful laws that have imprisoned millions of Blacks. Sold out the working class with ‘free-trade’ agreements that benefited only the Boomer 1 %. Then Boomer Obama failed to do anything, even lift a finger, to address the obviously criminal Wall Street Boomer elites responsible for the GFC. In fact, he brought them into cabinet and his administration. Some change, that was.

So people did vote their wallets in 2016, as I said. Hillary epitomized more of the Boomer establishment, Trump promised the illusion of blowing things up. (Not looking likely now, with all his establishment appointees.) So Trump was the strategic vote against all that was hurting the financial reality of so many ordinary folks.

But Hillary, thanks to reluctant Bernie Democrats, still won the vote by 2.9 million. Incredible result, strange one, overall.

The Democratic party will now be in revolt, and toss out the Boomer elites, or it will die. Trump will do little for the alienated working class Boomers and the rest of us.

The next four yours will set the stage for a dramatic generational shift of power that will be huge. The anti-Trump revolt will close the door on the Boomer Generation establishment forever.

The dark times we face in the meantime are the last gasp, the dying echo of the bizarre hypocrisy, self-interest and gutlessness that will sadly be the overall epitaph for the establishment of the Boomer generation as a whole. Their time is ending, fast. They need to clear out, go away.

But decent individual Boomers, guys like Retired Boomer Roy, will be in our thoughts for a long time.

#62 cmccullo on 12.26.16 at 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear it. Condolences to his family. Always enjoyed his comments. Seemed like quite the gentleman, with sane advice and a sense of humour. Thanks, Roy.

#63 Smoking Man on 12.26.16 at 9:25 pm

#48 Victor V on 12.26.16 at 8:57 pm
……

A replicant

#64 SJF in 312 on 12.26.16 at 9:28 pm

Boom RIP

#65 LifeXpert on 12.26.16 at 9:31 pm

RIP Roy.

Whatever happened to Nostradamus? Or whatever name he used? Haven’t seen him around in years

#66 Smoking Man on 12.26.16 at 9:40 pm

#65 LifeXpert on 12.26.16 at 9:31 pm
RIP Roy.

What ever happened to Nostradamus? Or whatever name he used? Haven’t seen him around in years.
…….

He’s around, rebranded. That’s the beauty of this dark cave of supreme knowledge in the comments section, You go bi-polar one day, a bad menstrual cycle, and say to yourself, shit did I really post that. you can switch gears when the door gets slammed in your face. And if it does, you deserve it.

What I want to know is where is (Holy Crap Where is my Tylonal.) He was on the lake, Lost at sea I’m thinking.

#67 64 on 12.26.16 at 9:40 pm

RIP Roy.

It makes you wonder…
Should you live like there is no tomorrow?

#68 Blacksheep on 12.26.16 at 9:42 pm

63 is the exact age, both my parents passed and is way to bloody young.

R.I.P. Roy.

#69 TurnerNation on 12.26.16 at 9:46 pm

Boom certainty had the hard won wisdom (not taught in schools).
His gap code will be retired and immortalized.

#70 Darryl on 12.26.16 at 9:47 pm

#65 LifeXpert on 12.26.16 at 9:31 pm
RIP Roy.
————————————————————–
I remember smoking man mention that Le Mad Vlad had passed on .
Not sure if this is true but in the absence of his post for a long time it seems probable .

#71 Rogg-Dawg on 12.26.16 at 9:57 pm

I never post but read it all. Boom will be missed. Life is short, enjoy the best of it. Thx, Garth, that was beautiful.

#72 Leebow on 12.26.16 at 10:05 pm

Too bad. 64… Too young. He was very balanced in his posts.

That’s the thing with Internet. You never know why someone stopped posting.

#73 Leebow on 12.26.16 at 10:07 pm

P.s. Santa, please make smoking man quit.

#74 the other white meat (pork) on 12.26.16 at 10:13 pm

Thanks Mr T, the last thing I posted was asking about Boom, though many more recognizable posters asked the same thing over the last few months. I’m sorry for his family’s loss and 64 is just a kid these days.

#75 Yuus bin Haad on 12.26.16 at 10:15 pm

What an interesting jump from anonymous to named. Puts everything in perspective, doesn’t it. Hey, we’re all in this together.

#76 Dan Foamete on 12.26.16 at 10:17 pm

How about Cat Food Lady ?

#77 Bucky on 12.26.16 at 10:30 pm

Good by Roy, I will miss your words of experience and wisdom.

#78 OttawaMike on 12.26.16 at 10:31 pm

RIP?

Folks. You are not carving this in granite.

It doesn’t take that much longer to type Rest In Peace.

I guess it’s just an Internet quote that everybody uses.

#79 45north on 12.26.16 at 10:36 pm

sorry to hear that Boom passed away

I’ll say a prayer for him

#80 SamC on 12.26.16 at 10:39 pm

R.I.P. Roy Stacey.

Garth, word on the street is that you are one tough individual. Today proves what I have observed through my life – the more tough a man is, the more sincere and caring.
You are a good man Garth – you can delete this after you read it.

#81 MF on 12.26.16 at 10:46 pm

I have not posted in a while, but over the months I too noticed Boom had suddenly disappeared. Every few weeks someone would inquire, hoping he was okay. Myself included.

Today I also happened to come across Flop’s beautiful message about him.

First, I am saddened by the news. Garth is right, the internet is anonymous and people can post what they like..but Boom’s posts were real and insightful.

Personally,

I started investing in April of 2015. Terrible timing but just my luck. Retired Boomer (at the time) was one of the folks to first congratulate me on the endeavour, along with many other blog dogs. It was needed because of the fear/nervousness I felt. Over the year I would come to complain every so often about my investments going south and Boom was a huge calming voice for me that was very needed.

One last thank you to Boom for all your insights, help, and humour.

This blog dog will be missed.

MF

#82 Linda on 12.26.16 at 10:48 pm

Farewell to ‘Boom’. Even though we are told to plan to live to age 90, many won’t live anywhere near that long. The age 90 factor is somewhat puzzling, since the most recent longevity stats available for Canadians gives an average life expectancy of 84 for women & age 80 for men. Regardless, the advice to plan ahead & how to do it is invaluable. Living in poverty is not amusing long term. Never has been. Money isn’t ‘everything’, but the lack of money sure can make a difference to quality of life, long or short term.

#83 Ontario's Left Coast on 12.26.16 at 10:52 pm

So sorry to hear this sad news. Boomer always seemed a very warm character and I enjoyed his many stories and observations. He will be missed.

Happy Holidays to Garth and all the Dawgs. Life is precious… Let your loved ones know how much they mean to you. Cheers.

#84 IHCTD9 on 12.26.16 at 10:53 pm

BOOM seemed like he was as nice a guy in person as he came across here on the blog judging by his obituary. He even looks like a nice guy! I always thought we were blessed to have such a cool American cat posting here on a blog dedicated to Canadian issues. My condolences to his family, and RIP Roy, a nice guy like you is probably in a better place right now.

#85 conan on 12.26.16 at 11:01 pm

Lots of memories for Boom. You could retire his nickname and hang his jersey.

Sorry to hear this news.

#86 robert james on 12.26.16 at 11:08 pm

#78 .. Give it a rest… RIP has been around a lot longer that you or the internet…https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_in_peace#/media/File:R.I.P..jpg

#87 ELL on 12.26.16 at 11:14 pm

Sorry to hear about Boom. I enjoyed his posts.

#88 Barb on 12.26.16 at 11:16 pm

#29 Johnny Django on 12.26.16 at 7:58 pm
———————————————
Thanks for posting the link to Roy’s obituary.

Boomer had a difficult life, suffering a stroke followed by a rare blood disorder. Yet he seemed to have the secret to a happy life.

Appreciate Garth pursuing his absence.

#89 Terry on 12.26.16 at 11:17 pm

“TIME is your friend in investing, don’t piss it away.”

Wow! ….. this is a true, compelling accurate statement.

It’s “TIME” and patience that makes investing truly work! Slow and steady wins the race!

This is the best Blog-post I have ever read from here. Thank-you Garth!

Thank-you Roy and God Bless ……. you have peace now.

#90 Prairieboy43 on 12.26.16 at 11:23 pm

Condolences to Roy Stacey. God Speed. Lost and Uncle this year suddenly, yes as many have stated life is short.

PB43

#91 Carlyle on 12.26.16 at 11:44 pm

RIP Roy.

Your advice and comments will be greatly missed.

#92 VicPaul on 12.26.16 at 11:45 pm

I too, was wondering about Boom…sorry to hear of his passing. Good guy – folksy wisdom coming from a compassionate place….Rest In Peace Roy.

#93 Flopper Fan (still) on 12.26.16 at 11:49 pm

Oh, the sad news….

I miss his postings.

Thank you Garth for reaching out to BOOM and brings us closure.

#94 Smoking Man on 12.27.16 at 12:00 am

#76 Dan Foamete on 12.26.16 at 10:17 pm
How about Cat Food Lady ?
……
How about beach girl and Sherly Valentine, and my most favourite female, a true feminist.

Miss you Gut Check..

#95 Smoking Man on 12.27.16 at 12:05 am

Not one chirp or barked baf for Boom.
Conclusion, dogs are things from God.

I know his family will get great comfort for all your dog barks tonight. Wolf.

#96 preet89 on 12.27.16 at 12:15 am

Mr. Roy,

Thanks for understanding my point of view. I appreciated the support you gave me when I voiced my concerns about parental support. I’m glad you helped your family out as all parents should since they brought the kids into this world. Thanks again for being a wrinklie but seeing the world from a millennial’s eyes and understanding (and supporting) our challenges.

#97 NoName on 12.27.16 at 12:17 am

#47 For those about to flop… on 12.26.16 at 8:54 pm

—-

Survey from late august was a flop, but managed to capture one unique response.

#98 Spiltbongwater on 12.27.16 at 12:22 am

Garth, do you know whatever happened to Bill Muskoka? He used to write on here quite alot and on your other politics site.

#99 Questions on 12.27.16 at 12:46 am

RIP Boom.

#100 Vern from Cowrown on 12.27.16 at 1:06 am

RIP Roy.

It just goes to show that this blog and, yes, the dog lover supreme, are both small parts of our lives.

This blog is something tangible. it means something to people that mean something. In a world where 99.9% of media has a hidden agenda, even if just to make you stupid, Garth, I thank you for the freshness this blog provides.

It must be a bit of nice validation vs. Those kind of days when you just wanna pull the plug.

#101 yorkville renter on 12.27.16 at 1:13 am

64 is too young. RIP Boom

#102 Tony on 12.27.16 at 1:17 am

My grandfather on my father’s side also died at 64 a day before his 65th birthday. He drank on average eighty ounces of whiskey a day since he was 16 and smoked at least eight Corona cigars a day since he was 14. When he was in the hospital he was still smoking and said no one lives forever.

#103 PawPatrol on 12.27.16 at 1:18 am

Thanks for sharing this tribute. A good reminder for me to not take for granted my boomer parents. Sending good thoughts and prayers to his family and that they find joy in the new year.

#104 Ronaldo on 12.27.16 at 1:33 am

Very sad to hear of Roy’s passing. Always enjoyed reading his posts. He seemed like a very down to earth individual and very caring for others. My first thought was how Flop would be hurt by the news as I know that they had gotten to be good friends via this blog. My thoughts go out to his family and also to you Flop. I know how the two of you got along so well on here. May he rest in peace. He will be missed.

#105 Poorgirl on 12.27.16 at 1:48 am

Sad news. I, too enjoyed reading his commentary. Rest in peace, Mr. Stacey; gone too soon.

#106 mouldyinYVR on 12.27.16 at 1:49 am

Very sorry to hear about Boomer W1. Condolences to his family……..

Globe and Mail joining Garth – trying to keep us on track with the real life ratio:

#107 Kloser81 on 12.27.16 at 1:51 am

Sad news, i seldom post, but tonight is quite the testiment to the community that’s formed through this blog, I remember not long ago Garth was considering disabling the comments section, I thought about the years I’d invested in reading not just the blog but eveyone else’s insight, I’m sure in some ways Boom’s insights have improved my knowledge about personal finances/life priorities in some way, as have many others here, I think it’s what makes this place special, and keeps me coming back, we were all lucky to have Roy’s two cents over the years, RIP Roy

#108 SWL1976 on 12.27.16 at 2:17 am

#45 Polls R Phake

Roy was awesome.

And the global warming keeps coming down in Vancouver. 30 cm of global warming.

——————

Polls R Phake,

Try looking past your front porch

Perhaps maybe you, Emperor Trump, or Smoking Man can take some time to explain to us why the arctic has been 20 degrees centigrade above
seasonal, already twice this year???

I look forward to the response and have a really good idea on how it will all go, but I also like to keep an open mind and am welcome to a surprise.

Perhaps if you get some more time between Trump tweets you could also explain the coloration between current CO2 levels and what is happening with our weather???

#109 I'm stupid on 12.27.16 at 2:28 am

I’m with John Oliver in calling 2016 a shitty year! R.I.P.

#110 Brydle604 on 12.27.16 at 2:36 am

RIP Boom
Thank You Garth for sharing this very touching information today.

#111 Boots on the Ground in Ptown on 12.27.16 at 3:14 am

Rarely post, but read every day. I only started reading here Aug ’16 but quickly found that Boom’s posts almost always resonated with me, although I’m half his age. He helped represent what I feel is more typical American than most of us Canadians have been led to believe. (for the record I was born/raised US and am dual)

Heartwarming to read, Garth-your post today speaks volumes of your “inward hidden man of the heart”.

Yes, you all have pegged me correctly as a gal after reading this, guess it just takes a post like this to get us gals to comment.

Thanks to “For those about to flop” as well, for what you’ve written here today.

Rest in Peace Roy, your wisdom and contentedness will be missed. Many condolences to your family…

#112 Stock Picker on 12.27.16 at 5:12 am

A lot of people passing lately. The ones I know had one thing in common…. bad habits…. no excercise…boozing…smoking….slothful attitude….stress …those all are killers individually….combined you’re sure to die young.

I work for myself, no stress, no booze or smoking….get a young wife….work out and swim several hours a day and eat right…oh….have lots of sex. Oh…and it helps to live where the sun shines , its warm everyday…and….be rich.

I’m 62 and plan on living forever to spend my kids inheritance

#113 Honey Dripper on 12.27.16 at 6:14 am

Sad news, sad day RIP Boom!

Retire as soon as you can afford to, the gas tank of life slowly bleeds away a little at a time each day. How much gas do you have left?

#114 Andrew t on 12.27.16 at 7:03 am

Oh man. I was worried when Boom stopped posting.
He did stand out from the crowd. His wisdom was engaging and somehow comforting as well.
My deepest condolences to his family and friends on their loss.

#115 Tony on 12.27.16 at 7:43 am

For the guy giving me the razz about shorting Teck Corporation take a good look here:

#116 suburban coyote and pup on 12.27.16 at 7:43 am

Condolences to Booms’ wife and son….64 is too young. I always enjoyed his posts which were thoughtful,humorous and genuine. We will all meet again at the dog park in the sky.

Onf51

#117 earlybird on 12.27.16 at 8:03 am

Aawhh…I though maybe he had changed his name, virtual reinvention maybe. Very touching Garth…RIP

#118 Smoking Man on 12.27.16 at 8:18 am

#108 SWL1976 on 12.27.16 at 2:17 am
#45 Polls R Phake

Roy was awesome.

And the global warming keeps coming down in Vancouver. 30 cm of global warming.

——————

Polls R Phake,

Try looking past your front porch

seasonal, already twice this year???

…..

Don’t want to steer today’s posts away from Booms tributes so no response today. But tonight, I’ll lay it all out for you…

#119 just a dude on 12.27.16 at 8:52 am

Garth, you are a good man, Sir. Thank you for all you do.

Belated condolences to the Stacey family. RIP Mr. Stacey. You will be missed.

#120 Catalyst on 12.27.16 at 9:11 am

RIP Boom. Thanks for sharing Garth and best wishes to his family.

#121 maxx on 12.27.16 at 9:12 am

Bless those who noticed, spoke up and did some digging.
RIP Roy. Your wisdom will be missed.

#122 thx on 12.27.16 at 9:22 am

Very classy Garth, thank you.

#123 Penny Henny on 12.27.16 at 9:37 am

#65 LifeXpert on 12.26.16 at 9:31 pm
RIP Roy.
————————————————————–
I remember smoking man mention that Le Mad Vlad had passed on .

————————————————-

I remember Nosty writing about some of his physical ailments, he didn’t sound very healthy.
Hope he is ok, I do remember him getting in trouble with Garth though.
Another thing. Where’s Tydenol?

#124 Derek R on 12.27.16 at 10:07 am

Sad news. But he made a mark. There are few people who can say that. Those few people are the ones that make the comments section worth reading.

So, a belated thanks to you, Retired Boomer!

#125 Franco on 12.27.16 at 10:28 am

First RIP Roy and no disrespect to you on my comment. I save and invest for my retirement, but as Roy has proved, there is no guarantee that you will even reach the age to start spending any of the money you earned, heck he did not even reach the age to get his full Social Security check. What I am trying to say is live and hope for many tomorrows, if not what you saved may be for someone else and in our case since we are childless it may be an organization of charitable causes.

#126 rainclouds on 12.27.16 at 10:31 am

Roy is upstairs having a chuckle at all the attention he is deservedly getting.

64 I waaay too frigginn young.

Thanks to all for providing this, clearly he had an impact well beyond LaCrosse

#127 TurnerNation on 12.27.16 at 10:56 am

I guess Smoking man can look forward to an eternity spent in the Great Deleted File of The Damned?!

Today’s Report on Business cover storu has two ivory towered university profs considering a million dollar home in Toronto. How cute.
Hey it’s their right.

#128 Bluebird on 12.27.16 at 10:57 am

Boom … Thank you, till we meet again…

#129 Alberta Ed on 12.27.16 at 11:23 am

Sorry to hear of Roy’s passing, especially before his time. Plan for tomorrow, live life as fully as you can today.

#130 At 64 on 12.27.16 at 11:38 am

Passing at 64 completely ruins the plan of saving a million for a comfortable retirement.

#131 Bytor the Snow Dog on 12.27.16 at 11:44 am

64? That’s way too young!

My condolences to Roy’s family. I will certainly miss his wit and wisdom here.

#132 SWL1976 on 12.27.16 at 11:44 am

#118 Smoking Man

—————–

If I know BOOM, which I do, I know he would welcome the debate.

Don’t get too wrapped up in the Exxon and Koch brothers research and hop on their band wagon of pseudoscience that only pushes their agenda.

#133 ivory tower on 12.27.16 at 11:50 am

#127 TurnerNation on 12.27.16 at 10:56 am

Hey it’s their right.

===

It is your right, too.

Is there anything else than yourself to prevent you to be a university professor?

#134 Vampire studies GMST 454 on 12.27.16 at 12:14 pm

RIP Roy. Thank you for your objectivity and posts which
were presented so constructively. I am happy you got to
enjoy at least a brief retirement. My best to your family.

#135 DON on 12.27.16 at 12:17 pm

For Paul and Janet.

Paul – I understand the difficult time you are enduring. Unexpectedly this past year, I lost my vibrant 66 year old mother – ‘the one who knew us best’. The hardest transition thus far in life. (I had lost my dad and step dad prior to bad diseases). The feeling of being alone on the edge of the world is a new experience for me.

For the last year I have tried hard to move on in a healthy manner. There is nothing I can say to lessen your pain. But this: You had the great opportunity to be raised by a good man (second to none) and for that you will be forever rich. If you ever need to chat I would welcome the opportunity to share my experiences. I am 45 yr old to give you some perspective.

Take care of your mother as she has lost her fondest companion but not her greatest gift. Take a knee for now Paul and then up and carry on the legacy – you come from good stock…buddy.

#136 Cheese on 12.27.16 at 12:20 pm

RIP Boom

Condolences to the Stacey family

#137 Drill Baby Drill on 12.27.16 at 12:32 pm

Dear Pathetic Blog ; excellent and touching post.

#138 Leo Trollstoy on 12.27.16 at 12:36 pm

RIP Roy aka Retired Boomer WI aka Boomer. Will meet you soon.

#139 shoipaz on 12.27.16 at 1:03 pm

First George Michael and now Roy….2016 was a bad year….well at least we still have Garth, smoking man, and Garth’s weekend minions…let’s enjoy these ppl while they are still in our midst!

#140 shoipaz on 12.27.16 at 1:10 pm

#44 Keith in Rio on 12.26.16 at 9:47 am

Laying under the fan in my condo……..currently feels like 42 degrees and it’s only 1245 PM…….reading the snowfall warnings in Calgary online………heh.”

Hey aren’t you the knucklehead who confessed to being a goofball a few blogs back…..let me paste it for ya….

“YAWN………I’m outta idiota caralao poha que saibi nada..”

Careful with googletranslate….it reveals yer true self!

#141 Pelican on 12.27.16 at 1:29 pm

This tribute to Roy, also known as Retired Boomer W1 and Boom, is a testament to his thoughtful comments and respectful manner in responding to others on this blog. Thank you Garth for letting us know what happened to him. Extending condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

#142 Wrk.Dover on 12.27.16 at 1:35 pm

Since I started my self imposed December exile, there has been a lot of bait on which to comment, but on this post I swallow the hook.

I stand firmly on Booms page, in agreement that youth starting out adulthood today are totally screwed compared to the Viet Nam generation. Don’t blame the boomers though it was the WW 2 generation that lit the fire of greed, whilst the boomers built their homes and futures, paying the world warriors double digit interest.

Part of my reason to shut up for a month was that I was tired of talking points with a bunch of 1% asset hoarders, but please hear me out. Garth’s rule of 90 is an excellent mantra, but come on people how about a second amendment, addressing the pursuit of pleasure.

He who has the most stuff when he dies, wins, because he got to play with toys until death.

He who has the most liquid assets when he dies loses, because it represents the unfulfilled dreams, of the deceased.

For over 15 years, my early retired wife and much earlier retired self have budgeted 25% toward saving and 25% for travel on 48 grand total net, through our 50’s and well into our sixties, with out sacrificing budget for the toys which we also enjoy within the other 50%. I am proud of this, what I call accomplishment. A minimum of two ten day trips each winter to a Caribbean 4 star among other yearly trips seems an honourable reward we have achieved at this income/saving ratio level. When inflation starts to eat our DPP, our savings level will be the first to shrink, along with the number of our remaining days on earth, until we eat the savings at the end.

How about you moneyed folk, what % do you spend on beyond the daily grind cost and saving level in your life?

There must be a formula to determine how much of real living is not enough of real living. Time is running out…..

Perhaps I am on the wrong site, speaking the wrong language.

#143 MD on 12.27.16 at 1:40 pm

RIP Boomer. You are missed around here. A voice of common sense in a time when common sense is in very short supply.

#144 Giancarlo on 12.27.16 at 1:51 pm

I’m 27 (millennial).

I read your blog everyday because:
1) I don’t have a girlfriend.
2) It echoes my own sentiments.

This was a great post my man. I hope you understand that, it hits home, even for un-intended audiences, the moisteners themselves.

#145 Smoking Man on 12.27.16 at 1:54 pm

#132 SWL1976 on 12.27.16 at 11:44 am
#118 Smoking Man

—————–

If I know BOOM, which I do, I know he would welcome the debate.

…..

That’s the Macro view. I’m going to give Davous and Bilderburg perspective.

#146 MilBay on 12.27.16 at 2:15 pm

Well played Roy! Was great to hear from American who kept his head up and his stick on the ice!

#147 isuckless on 12.27.16 at 2:56 pm

Rest in peace Boom, if there is some place for rest in the great beyond.
Thank you Garth for inquiring about what happened to Boom. Means a lot knowing that someone cares about you in a world that our lives are so insignificant and invisible.

BTW obviously 2016 is not done yet: Carrie Fisher is gone too.

#148 SWL1976 on 12.27.16 at 3:05 pm

#145 Smoking Man

…..

That’s the Macro view. I’m going to give Davous and Bilderburg perspective.

==========

The never let a good crisis go to waste and tax the serfs to oblivion. All while telling us its for our own good

Doesn’t lesson the severity of the situation

#149 max rate 3.75 on 12.27.16 at 3:20 pm

Today’s FOMC can imagine raising rates only to the point they fell to about halfway through their 2007–2008 easing cycle. They see no chance that overnight rates will reach 5% again. None.

#150 Vern in Cowtown on 12.27.16 at 3:38 pm

Garth, take an unannounced break for a day or two. You deserve it. It’ll make the blog dogs fonder.

Through the comments I’ve witnessed here, it’s made me realize that there is more than one common thread on this message board. The obvious one is personal finance. The second one, though, is humility and/or humanity.

It’s a good time of year to sit back, reflect. Let things sink in and actually learn from lessons of the past. The irony is that this blog is all about planning for tomorrow, but Booms story is a painful reminder that, hell, you gotta live for today too. (Not that he didn’t, but that we all should.). Eat, drink and be merry.

2016, you’ve been an interesting one. I resent all these media stories calling it a terrible year. It’s been one where we’ve learned so much about ourselves. These lessons are important…..especially when I feel like 2017 will make 2016 feel like a beach vacation for the average Canadian. Knowledge is power and 2016 made some of us stronger. Unfortunately, many have missed the opportunity and meaning altogether.

And Giancarlo, you missed the point. Garth is writing this blog FOR moisters, but only wannabe wrinkly n wise are the only ones consistently here and listening. Who is NOT here is the problem.

Anyways, thanks, Garth!

#151 TurnerNation on 12.27.16 at 4:02 pm

@tony nice alpha idea on JNUG.US.
Nothing like twerking with a 3x leveraged daily ETF – using margin.
TECK.B is a leading indicator…

#152 TurnerNation on 12.27.16 at 4:08 pm

#133 ivory tower – leeches no longer are used, in practice.

#153 Polls R Phake on 12.27.16 at 4:25 pm

#108 SWL1976 on 12.27.16 at 2:17 am
#45 Polls R Phake

Roy was awesome.

And the global warming keeps coming down in Vancouver. 30 cm of global warming.

——————

Polls R Phake,

Try looking past your front porch

seasonal, already twice this year???

____________________________________________

And the Antarctic has record ice. Not to mention 50% of the planet earth is below zero or has been snowed on already.

Try again genius.

#154 ivory tower on 12.27.16 at 4:42 pm

#152 TurnerNation on 12.27.16 at 4:08 pm

#133 ivory tower – leeches no longer are used, in practice.

Leeches not, university professors are, in large numbers.

#155 Paul Stacey on 12.27.16 at 4:44 pm

I personally would like to say Thank You to Garth for dedicating a blog about Roy. What a tribute!! And Thank you for being such a kind-hearted soul that would want to do something like this for one of your followers. That is a class act, guy. Thanks also go out to all who have posted their thoughts and memories of him. It truly means a lot to my mom and I. We will all miss him until we meet again.

M64WI
M41WI

#156 Steve French on 12.27.16 at 4:44 pm

Just to mention.. for my 14 fans…

I’m still alive!

Steve O

#157 batt519 on 12.27.16 at 7:30 pm

RIP Roy! You’re participation will be greatly missed!

-batt519

#158 kc on 12.27.16 at 7:39 pm

Rest in Peace Roy.

Belated Merry Christmas Garth and all…..

#159 For those about to flop... on 12.27.16 at 8:41 pm

This is a repost but I just want to make sure Paul reads it.
————————————————

#155 Paul Stacey on 12.27.16 at 4:44 pm

M64WI
M41WI

///////////////////////////////////////

Thanks for this post Paul…..nice GAP code!
I did look at your details yesterday in the obituary and realized we were about a year apart in age.

Maybe that was part of the reason your dad was so kind to me.

Also as I stated yesterday.

My brothers name is Paul.

Boom would have loved that…

#160 Chimingin on 12.27.16 at 9:28 pm

My condolences to Roy’s family. I am very sorry to hear he passed away. I regularly read this blog, and usually scroll past most of the comments, but always stopped to read his, which were always full of good advice, were on topic, and were courteous.

#161 Ponzius Pilatus on 12.28.16 at 12:08 am

Jesus, enof now blogdogs.
Good people die every day.
And bad ones, too.
Life goes on.
Deal with it.

#162 Andrew t on 12.28.16 at 9:25 am

#153 Polls R Phake on 12.27.16 at 4:25 pm
#108 SWL1976 on 12.27.16 at 2:17 am
#45 Polls R Phake

Roy was awesome.

And the global warming keeps coming down in Vancouver. 30 cm of global warming.

——————

Polls R Phake,

Try looking past your front porch

seasonal, already twice this year???

____________________________________________

Try again genius.

OK. For starters, the statement about Antarctic ice is false. In fact it’s at a record low.

And snowfall is irrelevant to the point. Weather is affected by climate but is not climate. Get the basics right and then join the discussion.

#163 meslippery on 12.28.16 at 10:38 am

RIP Roy
Keep the shiny side up…

#164 Bill Grable on 12.28.16 at 4:37 pm

RIP, Roy.

I so enjoyed “Boom”, and I am so sorry to hear this news.

My sincere sympathies to his Family and all his friends.

We will all miss him.

#165 Alram on 12.28.16 at 6:23 pm

Thank you Garth for being the kind soul you are and creating this quirky online community. The idea that an anonymous commenter connected with so many, was appreciated by the host and noticed when his voice was silenced truly touches my heart. I enjoy reading every day and join my voice to the many who will miss Boom. Sincere condolences to the Stacey family.

#166 Dave on 12.29.16 at 12:01 am

It is about the connection in life.

Roy connected with people here.

You connect thousands everyday, with every blog post.

As thankless as a blog is you do touch people, set off an emotion. Few understand that.

R.IP. Roy