Old school

reboot-modified
DOUG By Guest Blogger Doug Rowat

As a kid I hung out at the arcade—a lot. Space Invaders and Pac-Man were favourites, but, like Pete Townshend, I also played the silver ball. So I’m old school, and the latest Xbox games will, in my mind, never compete. Similarly, social media is a tough sell for this middle-ager.

To be ‘fully connected’ in 2016 means, at minimum, a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and—possibly—a Tinder account. I have none. Now, while I’ve personally resisted social media, there’s no doubt that technology in a larger sense—hardware, software, IT services, wireless networks, etc.—is very significant not only to my daily life, but to my investments as well.

I’ve highlighted before on this blog the inescapable reality of an aging world. Naturally, this will mean repositioning portfolios in the future to capitalize on these changing demographics. More health care sector exposure, for example, would be one obvious way to benefit. But so would more technology exposure. Social media and Xbox aside, technology permeates every part of my life: my smartphone, my laptop, online banking, online shopping, music and video downloads and streaming, software systems for managing client accounts, etc. I may not be a millennial, but using technology is critical to every part of my day. The world may be getting older, but its use of technology will not diminish.

As proof, below is the expected ramp-up in global data traffic driven by many factors including more cloud computing, more electronic devices, expanding Internet access, higher bandwidth demand (more video content) and just more mobile networking in general. An exabyte, by the way, is one quintillion bytes. To contextualize a quintillion bytes, it’s apparently the equivalent of 50,000 years’ worth of DVD video.

Global IP Traffic Forecast—22% CAGR

doug-1

Source: Cisco

So data-traffic growth will be massive. Not only does this mean that consumers and businesses will shift and employ more technology (more e-commerce, for example) but the entire infrastructure that supports this shift (servers, storage and optical fibre, for example) will expand dramatically as well. This is more than any blog reader needs to know, but I now buy my underwear online.

The online discounts are attractive, the delivery is fast and often free and I can’t try underwear on in the store anyways (for good reason, this is frowned upon). By creating efficiencies and convenience, technology has profoundly changed consumer behavior and business infrastructure. I also consider other ways that technology has personally changed my life in just the past decade:

• I no longer have a landline in my home.
  • I download or stream almost all my video content. Brick-and-mortar video stores are long dead.
  • I virtually never pay cash. Tap-and-pay accounts for at least 90% of my purchases now. Here in Toronto, I even tap a card for the streetcar.
  • My smartphone connects virtually everywhere. Amazingly, it was once a selling feature for telcos to offer a wireless signal outside city limits. My smartphone is also my de facto computer as I use it more than my laptop. And who would have thought I could ever confirm an online payment with a thumbprint?
  • I forget the last time I went to a concert using a paper-based ticket. And a bill payment requiring an envelope and stamp might occur once a year at best.
  • Finally, I’m becoming more aware that if Elon Musk can work it, my kid might actually live on Mars.

These are just a few examples of technology’s transformative power. An aging global population will inevitably subdue demand across many industries, but technology I believe will be an exception. Technology will always evolve to meet needs and reshape our behaviour. And if it improves our lives, we will adopt it regardless of our age. In fact, it will only assist us as we get older, particularly with medicine and medical device development. Technology also easily and constantly crosses over into other industries.

Could you imagine the health care, financial services or telecom sectors not employing technology or not benefitting from technological advancements? So if technology is largely immune to a demographics-driven slowdown it should therefore be part of your long-term investment strategy. Currently, technology accounts for a 6–7% weighting in our client portfolios—roughly double the technology exposure of the Canadian market, and we will almost certainly increase this weighting over time.

Technology might, at times, be unfamiliar (my millennial staff recently educated me about ‘Snapchat’), but investors must embrace it. Otherwise it’s, well, game over.

Doug Rowat,FCSI® is Portfolio Manager with Turner Investments and Senior Vice President, Private Client Group, Raymond James Ltd.

#1 Braj on 11.12.16 at 1:23 pm

Define technology holdings? Are these just technology related companies?

#2 Context on 11.12.16 at 1:45 pm

An interesting essay as a year ago got my first debit card and $1,000 in cash as was going to do all my banking on the internet. The cash was never touched but was a backup. Likewise bought a new computer system with Win 10 installed which is still in the box as another backup in case my current system went down. Your observations are correct as I too had changes to make and the world was changing leaving me behind so it was time to catch up with technology.

#3 For those about to flop... on 11.12.16 at 2:02 pm

An exabyte, by the way, is one quintillion bytes. To contextualize a quintillion bytes, it’s apparently the equivalent of 50,000 years’ worth of DVD video.-Doug.

/////////////////////////////////

And here I was thinking that an Exabyte was what Freedom First’s ex- girlfriends had to do to get away from him…

#4 Ron on 11.12.16 at 2:09 pm

Well, the first thing you should do is create a Twitter account, and use that as a news/information feed. You specify what news you want, who sends it to you, and it’s instant. A lot of knowledge is shared via twitter, and resources from all over the world….. Or, you can listen to Bloomberg, CNBC, or the best of them all…. Goldman…. And be several months late on finding out what’s really going on.

#5 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 2:10 pm

Quite logical Doug. But how can you not have twitter.

My Herdomitor is a multi window twitter app that pumps tweets into a sql database . It accurately predicted a Donald Trump White House.
You need to be an alien to understand the output.

Why trump won. Halarious.

#6 Joe Schmoe on 11.12.16 at 2:11 pm

Good Post Ryan!

haha, I joke…I am still laughing at earlier posts where the viewership confused you monkeys…

I am in a conundrum around this tech phase…I am young enough to understand it, but old enough to recognize there are a lot of time sinks hidden in the “efficiency” dogma. Stuff that will be easy come/easy go.

How does one invest in ” IT Infrastructure”? It seems to be a dog’s breakfast of government projects/private investments.

#7 Darryl Doomer on 11.12.16 at 2:17 pm

One EMP could knock out huge amount of this data traffic :)

#8 tkid on 11.12.16 at 2:23 pm

I’m in Florida, sans a data connection, trying to shop and use internet coupons. Game over, right? Nope, all the stores have wifi.

So I used the coupons.

#9 bdwy sktrn on 11.12.16 at 2:33 pm

this is a trump blog.

#10 For those about to flop... on 11.12.16 at 2:39 pm

This is a map of where the money is made in America…

#11 A Yank in BC on 11.12.16 at 2:39 pm

Tech may be the future.. but it sure had a lousy week.

#12 daniel willak on 11.12.16 at 2:50 pm

If you really believe Musk will ‘work it out’, and your kid will be able to live on Mars, perhaps your kid should be accompanied by an adult for this trip :)

#13 BS on 11.12.16 at 2:50 pm

You want to be invested in technology but make sure you do it through broad based index funds. The problem with technology is it changes rapidly. Which means a company that is successful today may be gone tomorrow. Anyone remember Nortel and Blackberry? Both are in areas that have boomed, smart phones and telecom, but they both went bust.

#14 Goldie on 11.12.16 at 2:56 pm

#15 Context on 11.12.16 at 2:56 pm

These arcade games can become a nightly addiction as once there was an all night coffee shop at Bloor and St. George with a seated game. Cannot remember the exact name but it involved galactic wars. We would meet after midnight for coffee and donuts for the tournaments as who could sleep and the crowds would cheer us on for hours.

#16 Nemesis on 11.12.16 at 3:05 pm

#Reboot?… #Techtopia’sOtherSide…

#FictionCirca2005…

#Reality2016….

#17 David McDonald on 11.12.16 at 3:20 pm

Hi Doug,
Your team is well informed and nimble so you can make money in the technology sector but an individual investor will get burned. A company can go from success to ruin in a very short time because of technological change; witness Nortel.

#18 Jungle on 11.12.16 at 3:48 pm

The future will come from these 4 companies

Google
Facebook
Amazon
TSLA
Netflix

#19 Doug's Twin on 11.12.16 at 3:50 pm

OKOK, I’m not his twin, just grabbing your attention.

So in the spirit of this post I just created a twitter account….NOW what?
who/what accounts should I be following so I am up to snuff?
TIA
Doug’s kid

#20 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 4:02 pm

#8 tkid on 11.12.16 at 2:23 pm

So I used the coupons.

Spoke with a local who wondered how I learnt what I did about finance; answer is the internet. Access to the internet means there is little information I can’t find. It’s been a game-changer for me..
……

A good google key word strategy far more valuable than an obidiance certificates.

#21 Buddy O Pal on 11.12.16 at 4:04 pm

Are there any non hedged Canadian etfs tracking us/global tech and healthcare? I agree with the post entirely but feel there are limited options to get direct exposure to these sectors in the Canadian etf market

#22 Ace Goodheart on 11.12.16 at 4:18 pm

True and a very interesting post. Still some major problems with technology though. One of those problems is data breaches. Happen all the time. Could be an investment opportunity, if anyone can actually figure out a security system that can beat the hackers. Otherwise we’ll keep seeing stuff getting into the hands of folks it shouldn’t.

Another problem is the unreliability of technology in general. A computer is the only machine I know of, which works about 1/2 the time the way it’s supposed to, breaks down for reasons no one understands, cannot be repaired, and yet is still in active use.

Just to contextualize: can you imagine if you took your car to the mechanic, because it wouldn’t work, and the mechanic told you “well cars do that sometimes, no one knows why, it might be broken and it might not be, there is no way for us to find out, just turn it off and on again a few times and hope it works”. That is the general advice we are given when our computers malfunction.

Build a reliable computer and the world will beat a path to your door…..

RE: “Finally, I’m becoming more aware that if Elon Musk can work it, my kid might actually live on Mars.”

Elon needs to concentrate on building all those cars he promised everyone – including mine ;).

But seriously, here is the Mars adventure in a nut shell: If humans really want to go and live on Mars, first they should do this: Go to continental Antarctica, and start a settlement. Go live somewhere in the middle (not on the coast). If you can do that, then you are kind of ready for life on Mars (except it’s warmer on continental Antarctica, the atmosphere is breathable, and there is water). The weather is also better and you won’t die from exposure to deadly ultraviolet rays (Mars has no atmosphere, which means you cannot stand on the surface without being completely covered with protective equipment or you will be killed very quickly by the Sun’s deadly radiation).

#23 Jib Halyard on 11.12.16 at 4:25 pm

Doug,
Should this not be a moot point to passive investors? After all, won’t a decent equtiy index be updated to reflect the importance of the tech space?

#24 Freedom First on 11.12.16 at 4:35 pm

#5 Smoking Man

Yes. Pie in the face of the Looooney Leftists. Thanks for the video Smoker.

#25 InvestorsFriend on 11.12.16 at 4:41 pm

Technology Investment

For the best investments look to those technology providers that face little competition or just have very sticky and lucrative customers.

Google is a very good example.

Banks are highly profitable not because of the mythical (and false) oligopoly but because the customers are extremely sticky due to the high switching costs and inconvenience.

Facebook, probably.

Telcos (cells phones) because they lock us in and its a pain to switch.

Ticketmaster because it is a natural monopoly situation.

laptop makers, no as it is the software that is proprietary and we will choose a new make on every purchase (they are toasters).

#26 Doug Rowat on 11.12.16 at 4:42 pm

#17 David McDonald on 11.12.16 at 3:20 pm
Hi Doug,

Canadian technology is pretty dismal. Just buy a broad-based US equity ETF. US is 20% IT. Good starting point.

–Doug

#27 InvestorsFriend on 11.12.16 at 4:50 pm

More Technology Winners

VISA and MasterCard have been extraordinarily profitable because they are dual monopolies. (Consumers almost always have one or the other or both while most merchants MUST accept both). Whether or not their current share prices are attractive is debateable. The fact that they will continue to make fat ROEs for the foreseeable future is not.

#28 espressobob on 11.12.16 at 4:50 pm

Dear Doug,

Trust me, I’m old school. Dissing those damn hipsters and dumb phones like they’re a disease. A geriatric thought?

Just bought an android tablet. The addiction so I’m told is worse than opium. It’s true.

Not big on the beard, lumberjack shirt, or restrictive jeans, but the technology is impressive.

#29 For those about to flop... on 11.12.16 at 4:52 pm

I saw on the news last night all the people protesting at the Trump Tower in downtown Vancouver.

I surmise that it’s the residents of the Shangri -la Tower that lost their water and mountain views ,due to the construction of Trump Tower…

#30 InvestorsFriend on 11.12.16 at 4:53 pm

Nortel

Was not a company that the typical investor understood. It sold technology to business and not consumers. It was already reporting GAAP losses for several years before it peaked. Investors were the victim of their own blindness as they relied on adjusted earnings for a company they clearly did not understand.

#31 InvestorsFriend on 11.12.16 at 4:55 pm

Diversification

Of course one must diversify their technology investments. Blackberry was the crackberry until Apple offered an even more addictive phone. Myspace was dominant until something far better came along. Apparently it was not that hard to switch to facebook. But it took sort of everyone switching to oust Myspace. Impressive.

#32 Freedom First on 11.12.16 at 5:02 pm

Yes. Freedom First. Nothing else matters. Freedom First encompasses everything.

007
Freedom First
Freedomonics

#33 jess on 11.12.16 at 5:03 pm

Off the “tax” grid ? Social media as promotion

This sounds similar scheme in Canada where:
Ottawa dentist handed extra prison time for failing to pay tax evasion …

Freedom Law School
Freedom Law School | Facebook
Tax Defier And Member Of Freedom Law School

#34 Just a dude on 11.12.16 at 5:07 pm

Doug,

Great article. Thank you. I have the privilege of working with many brilliant scientists and engineers. I can say with confidence that none of us can fathom today the extent to which technology will evolve and impact every single one of us in the coming years. The relatively recent changes you discuss in your article are a testament to how quickly technology has and will continue to evolve and affect us all. As just one example of very many ground-breaking and important research initiatives, substantial and well-funded quantum research efforts across the globe may change life as we know it for the better and for a great many more people (globally) in a relatively short time.

Cheers

#35 Jungle on 11.12.16 at 5:14 pm

Twitter is just an excuse to send you spam (aka today’s news)

Really nothing productive coming from it for a normal person.

Focus on making money and building wealth.
Ignore the noise.

#36 InvestorsFriend on 11.12.16 at 5:19 pm

Passive Versus Active Investment

Can the average active investor beat the index?

Well, ALL truly passive investors tie the index by definition.

Therefore the aggregate of all active will also tie the index before costs and trail after their higher cots.

Some active investors will win, not at the expense of passive investors, but totally at the expense of some other active investors.

The above is true in every market environment over every year, month, day and hour. If you see different it is because only a subset was looked at or the index was not properly the average of all investors (which is the definition of a relevant total index).

Math is brutal…

Still, I do feel it is not hard to beat other active investors since many use deeply flawed approaches or are just too emotional etc. But to win as an active investor you (or your advisor) MUST be better than an average active investor.

#37 For those about to flop... on 11.12.16 at 5:22 pm

Robax,I did my homework.

My Can equity fund has 5.5% technology,up on the category average of 3.5%

My U.S equity fund has 22% technology,currently at its three year high.

My wife,through CIBC invests in a global technology fund.

I asked InfLewenza the same question ,but I think he is still mad at me about my infamous “Doctors office” post.

Do you read the comments section only on the days you post?

Or does the boss make it mandatory…

#38 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 5:26 pm

#19 Doug’s Twin on 11.12.16 at 3:50 pm
OKOK, I’m not his twin, just grabbing your attention.

So in the spirit of this post I just created a twitter account….NOW what?
who/what accounts should I be following so I am up to snuff?
TIA.
Doug’s kid
……

#SmokingMan primary active

In the unlikely even my book ever took off. I reserved this one. #DyslexicSmokingMan

#39 D.D. Corkum on 11.12.16 at 5:28 pm

#18 Jungle on 11.12.16 at 3:48 pm

“The future will come from these 4 companies…”

Your list should not exclude Microsoft. It has just as reasonable chance as some of the others at succeeding, in a sector where the future can be very unpredictable.

#40 OttawaMike on 11.12.16 at 5:37 pm

#41 OttawaMike on 11.12.16 at 5:43 pm

As another example of the speed of change: We watched an 05 movie last weekend and the protagonists used Nokia flip phones and referred to MySpace.

#42 For those about to flop... on 11.12.16 at 6:20 pm

I joked about the people at the Shangri-La not being happy about Trump Tower blocking off some of their view,well they still have an awesome view,just not as good as before.

Here are a couple of b-grade photos I took whilst doing a major renovation on the 53rd floor of the Shangri-la tower.

That is Trump tower getting its last 4 or 5 levels of glass windows inserted.
It was a miserable April day in 2015.
This particular unit lost its view of Stanley Park and the Lions Gate Bridge.

The second photo I took later that day when the weather broke,is looking toward UBC past Kits and Jericho beaches.

No doubt ,they are crap photos but I thought someone on here might enjoy a sneak peak…

#43 Jules on 11.12.16 at 6:56 pm

Doug, I also grew up with PacMan, space invaders and pinball but honestly if your are not on social media how can you even begin to have insight into what is going on in your advisory position? I think you do yourself a disservice. Well maybe not Tinder. Try it Mikey, you might like it.

#44 Joseph R. on 11.12.16 at 6:59 pm

#40 OttawaMike on 11.12.16 at 5:37 pm

—————————————————-

Politics.

#45 conan on 11.12.16 at 7:01 pm

Re: #18 Jungle on 11.12.16 at 3:48 pm

“The future will come from these 4 companies.”

Google
Facebook
Amazon
TSLA
Netflix

Errrrr do you mean 5 companies?

I suspect that Microsoft could take out Apple with a few years of creative and enduring product. I do not think the reverse is true though.

Include Microsoft on that list of 4 errr 5 companies that will stick around.

#46 Rational Optimist on 11.12.16 at 7:24 pm

I didn’t read last night (’cause I kind of have a life, sorta), so I’m late on this, but kudos to Garth for mentioning Stanfields again. They’re oh-so-snug and oh-so-comfy, and if we can just get our PM to them when visiting Washington, maybe their increased demand could carry us all.

Oh, and rest in peace Leonard Cohen. That was the big story of the week for me. Sad to see him go.

#47 Doug Rowat on 11.12.16 at 7:29 pm

#41 OttawaMike on 11.12.16 at 5:43 pm

Great time capsules. And fun to watch 90s movies with Alta Vista displayed on the giant PCs. 10 years from now smartphones will probably be thinner than credit cards.

–Doug

#48 Victor V on 11.12.16 at 7:30 pm

Couldn’t agree more, Doug. One of my core holdings is XLK. The future is bright.

#49 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.12.16 at 7:34 pm

@#18 Jungle
“The future will come from these 4 companies

Google
Facebook
Amazon
TSLA
Netflix’
********************************************

Let me guess. You need a calculator to add to 5.

Hopefully Facebook and Google( the largest spammers on the planet) will have their asses handed to them by a recent ruling in France which will make them delete “old right to be forgotten” information at a persons request.

Charged with farting in an elevator and beat the rap but its on Facebook or Google forever?
Not any more……
It’ll cost them billions to deal with requests to remove their invasive , endless, pointless, crap……

This article is from May 2016

Google just lost their appeal :)

#50 Count Flipalot on 11.12.16 at 7:37 pm

Technology has also made a lot of people social zeroes, unable to have critical thinking, and too reliant on a invention that can be easily hacked.

Much better to walk through earths forests than live life through facebook’s 3-D goggles.

#51 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.12.16 at 7:39 pm

@#40 Ottawa Mike
“Besides, what other industry can produce so many subpar products and still have consumers clammering for more?”
*******************************************

China?

#52 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 7:42 pm

Steve O just noticed this. Thanks for the support, you’re customer 21…so ampped.
I hope it keeps me in good standing as an ordained dudest priest. I don’t think I broke the dudest code of conduct. You be the judge.
…….

#113 Steve French on 11.12.16 at 2:07 am
Alright, so unbelievably I paid $6 for Smoking Man’s book, “The Deplorables”.

171 pages…. this better be worth my while, Smokey….

– Steve O

#53 Context on 11.12.16 at 7:44 pm

Solar Energy Technology will become a winner.

#54 juno on 11.12.16 at 8:01 pm

As we move forward, the boomers are starting to lose control

Fast forward, the millenium and gen x are starting to show that they too have a voice, while the boomers begin to die off,

Brexit and Trump, was major, and this can be the beginning of an new ERA, While Clinton symbolized the old ways, and the represented the 1% / rich and famous. The younger generation is pissed off..

Trump winning to me was a voice of change and new generation of voters becoming the future majority of a great nation. Get use to it old boomers because you will be extinct like the dinosaurs

Hey, kid. Trump is 70. — Garth

#55 The Great Gazoo on 11.12.16 at 8:08 pm

Doug, great call on those preferred shares in your post a couple of weeks ago. I realize it was a long term recommendation, but your timing was great with preferred’s jumping nicely this week.

I have been holding about 20% of my portfolio in ZPR for a few years now, still underwater, but have confidence to hold and add to my position over the last year based on Garth’s comments.

After your reading your post a couple of week’s ago, I added a little bit more. I will continue to enjoy the dividends and hopefully get a some capital appreciation over the next few years.

Thanks

#56 hope & ruin on 11.12.16 at 8:13 pm

If you’re not on twitter you’re actually missing out. Facebook & instagram isn’t useful for much outside of selfies and bragging about real estate purchases.

But twitter gives you real-time access what the world’s most influential people are thinking. Even if that’s a Trump rant, it is still valuable from an investing perspective. Ideas, technology, trends, ted talks. There has never been an easier way to interact with these people too.

#57 1drs on 11.12.16 at 8:20 pm

The promise of Tech was to unemploy the masses. Its never delivered, but it will. If there are to be self driving vehicles, there is no limit to the jobs that can be replaced by autonomous robots. Think it through and you will see that there are no jobs that can’t be made redundent with the possible exception of fashion model and even that may be replaced by conceptual video. The idea that jobs will be coming back to America, or Canada, is ridiculous. Robots are here to stay and they cost less in the end than a person.So business will be forced to use them more and more because of the cost and unreliability of people.Try to understand how many people will become unemployed when all trucks and taxi’s are self driven.That will just be the tip of the iceburg.Forget Walmart, think about Amazon and how much merchandise they move and how few people are employed and you will see the future. We all realize that unemployed people don’t buy much so what to do? Ban robots and become a walled in colony of people that are only employed because the government says business must employ them ?That didn’t work very well in Russia.

Will Donald Trump preside over the crushing of the American working class?

#58 DON on 11.12.16 at 8:25 pm

#3 For those about to flop… on 11.12.16 at 2:02 pm

/////////////////////////////////

*****
Now that’s funny – needed the laugh. thanks

No offence Freedom!

#59 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.12.16 at 8:26 pm

#34 Just a dude on 11.12.16 at 5:07 pm
Doug,

———
No clue what you’re talking about.
Please be more specific.
Otherwise, just get lost.

#60 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.12.16 at 8:29 pm

#56 hope & ruin on 11.12.16 at 8:13 pm

———–
Again, please be specific.
What are the most influential people that you are following?

#61 Andrew Woburn on 11.12.16 at 8:36 pm

The question about tech investment is do you bet on the developers of new technology or on the companies that know how to apply it? Walmart can be seen as a applied technology company that used superior information processing systems to drive growth first in rural markets where there was little competition and later in urban markets as their cost cutting/inventory control expertise became dominant. You can view Amazon as relatively unprofitable updated mail order house or you can see it as a vast test bed for designing cloud systems, warehouse management systems and automated delivery systems that can be sold to, rented to, or even withheld from, other users.

It seems to me that Bezos is building the kind of control over the internet pipeline and web services that Rockefeller developed over railways in the late 19th century. He is certainly building a “moat” based on hard assets that Buffet would admire except Warren probably wouldn’t buy the current valuation. By contrast, a “pure” technology company can be an instant big winner but it can also be quickly knocked off its perch by the next big thing. A software company can be winner one minute and gone the next.

#62 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.12.16 at 8:38 pm

Are we not a little behind on the tech news?
Donald is gonna pull the plug on outsourcing IT jobs to India.
Pay the local boys decent wages.
Goodby, Bombay.

#63 Freedom First on 11.12.16 at 8:40 pm

Yes. Another way I discovered to keep up in every area of my life is to keep in close contact with younger people.

I was just thinking, when I was 29, my girlfriend was 19. The 10 year age gap held for a # of years, but I find that now, being a Boomer, a minimum 20 year age gap is what it takes to really keep me connected and eager to learn everything she knows.

#64 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.12.16 at 8:53 pm

———-
Finally a reasoned post.
New tech companies have such low entry barriers that every kid in their basement will give it a go.
As history tells us, a few made it, but most of them went belly up.
Bet accordingly.

#65 Spectacle on 11.12.16 at 8:58 pm

Dear Doug,

Congrats, your writing to the audience/blog is really coming along well.

Notice how the comments section seems much better than last few days……until I posted anyways.

Appreciatedps: graphs and stats are great. Any idea if you might do one indicating the idiocy of real estate now, based on number of realtors to sales. Also the tech ETF market in technology in a contrast to one asset strategy of real estate?

#66 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 8:58 pm

Doug. How about the funreal biz. I got raped by these merciless vultures at mom and dad’s send offs. Big money in this game.

Now that the loony left has become unhinged over the Trump landslide , wack jobs like Soros funding the riots. I can see this escalating out of control.

Hope it doesn’t sound to callas of me, but why let an opportunity slip by. Plus lots of Boomers with bad habits will be worm food soon.

Great minds what to know. Who would you recommend. I can easily find it on Google. Mabey I did. Mabey I want to see how good you are before turn over soon loot to Turner investments make sure the wife has good coverage.

You never know. Nothing left on the bucket list now that the book is done and I’m not feeling well lately.

#67 Doug Rowat on 11.12.16 at 9:07 pm

#55 The Great Gazoo on 11.12.16 at 8:08 pm

In a million years I never would have expected Trump to be the driving force behind HIGHER GoC 5-year yields (and hence higher Canadian preferred share prices) but he was. So there you go. You’re welcome.

–Doug

#68 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 9:30 pm

A fake smile, an uncomfortable hug by phoney friends at funirals

That’s the human condition. Vibrant union station. We’re the homeless beg for a buck. And the herd races for track 6.

Just to follow a script written by evil bastards that never bucked a rivit.

Doug you were not around back in the track six days. Ask gartho.

#69 GrannyAnnie on 11.12.16 at 9:32 pm

I was suprised in talking to an 85 year old IBM technology scientist/vionary/inventor for the next big thing (the guy’s vision in 1974 was a computer you would wear on your wrist and would “read” your wish/command).
No, not AI, as I had surmised. It’s virtual reality. Not in gaming, but in medicine!! One use he mentioned was that impulses/messages sent by a virtual reality device to your brain faster than the pain impulses would block
the pain, in fact telling your brain there is no pain. Great for the aging population.

#70 tony on 11.12.16 at 9:35 pm

#54 juno

Gen X are the dumbest generation in history. You know no other generation would tolerate shoe boxes in the skyÉ which is why all old condos 1999 and less are H U G E (almost house like in size). Plus no other generation would buy pre built anything. Third if your generation stop buying property housing prices would of capitulated. The sad fact is your generation are puppets. Yes they are such puppets they would become interns and work for free. LOL why anyone would work for free is beyond me. You might as well try and start your own business. You are being played by the elite if you think 70 year old Trump will benefit Generation x. Smokingman is right you are Brainwashed by so called schooling which created the best puppets corporations have ever seen.

#71 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.12.16 at 9:39 pm

@#52 Smoking Man

I accidentally clicked on your name and was immediately transported to your web page…….

“Deplorables Chapter 1″…….

The Man Booker prize does not await you

While that prestigous Award does appreciate humourous fiction……alas …..

Talking penis’s dont cut the grade.

And in that vain( vein?) of thought remember the immortal words of all of Freedom First’s ex girlfriends…………

“Try Harder!”

#72 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 9:45 pm

Dogs. A gift from the heavens.

My two little 4 pounders. Sofia a female protecter of the home. Even dogs , animals, cartoon figures on TV she lunges at them with a girly dog bark.

Wyatt he’s autistic, doesn’t bark at anything. His crossed crazy eyes just stare at you. His tail never wags.

He pisses and caraps in the house.
I’ve never loved anything more than him. He’s perfect. What a rebal.

Where am I going with this post. Ask alice or Jack.

I’m in the zone.. a feeling of greatness and lowness fightING it out.

#73 Glen B on 11.12.16 at 9:45 pm

Hey Smoking Man. I bought and read your book (just finished it). It had me thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. It was worth the money. You have a talent bud!
Cheers,
Glen

#74 Porsche on 11.12.16 at 9:52 pm

#54 juno

Go play your X-Box with some online friends

#75 conan on 11.12.16 at 9:52 pm

#54 juno on 11.12.16 at 8:01 pm

I doubt the youth were voting for Trumpster. If they were they are going to be sadly disappointed. This will be a Reagan/ bush/ repeat of failed economics. Tax breaks for the rich in the mistaken belief that they will create jobs.

But no one has a job to buy product, so the rich wont invest in jobs to build product.

ANyone else notice that Trumpster seems to be high on pot all the time. To me its obvious.

#76 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 10:01 pm

#71 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.12.16 at 9:39 pm
@#52 Smoking Man

“Deplorables Chapter 1″…….

The Man Booker prize does not await you

While that prestigous Award does appreciate humourous fiction……alas …..

Talking penis’s dont cut the grade.

“Try Harder!”

Screw prizes and awards. Morons sucking up to morons.

My book is for the blog dogs that inspired the effort.

Let’s keep it out little secret. Fame is not a thing that promotes creativity. It destroys it.

#77 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 10:05 pm

73 Glen B on 11.12.16 at 9:45 pm
Cheers,
….
Thank you very much appreciate.
Glen

#78 S.Bby on 11.12.16 at 10:18 pm

6 Stocks & ETFs to Avoid on Trump’s Win:

Technology
Auto
Mexico
Emerging Market
Alternative Energy
Hospitals

#79 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 10:29 pm

We are all bent out of shape for Gord Downey. A true blue maple leaf canadian.

Lenord is gone. We knew he was going.

How about the homeless heathen on the street in a sleeping bag on young and bay street.

Purhaps they had a good story than no one ever read, a song or melody that would melt kings that never made it out.

Humans your on notice. The Nictonite council is not impressed.

Be kind to the fallen and you will be allowed to live another day.

Just avoid the agency’s . Drop the buck into there caps.

It gives me enormous happiness when I do it.

#80 Andrew Woburn on 11.12.16 at 10:30 pm

Those who were around the personal computer revolution in the early days may be a little disappointed with the lack of new “killer applications”. The spreadsheet and the word processor were a moon shot in terms of what went before. The internet and Google are close behind but current developments are more incremental than inspiring. I try to keep up with new offerings on the Google Play site among others but there are few that would make much difference to me. (Check out GQueues if you want a task manager tightly integrated into Gmail and the Google calendar).

As an aging male, I know I am not in the target market for social media. I am not excited about sharing images of the contents of my dinner plate or my underwear with my 400 closest friends. I am unlikely to want to share recipes or thrilling anecdotes about my children/hobbies on Facebook although my wife does. I find FB groups useful for tracking down community events that haven’t made it into the media but that’s about it. I have a Twitter account but gave up using it because it is too hard to filter out the useless crap. The jury is still out as to whether I will succumb to issuing voice commands to my smart devices. (When you are approaching Alzheimer territory you don’t want to give the neighbours reason to speculate.) Still I am no technophobe so I started thinking about what would be an app that would make a difference to me. Maybe other blog dogs will offer their own suggestions.

We are still a long way from truly human level artificial intelligence but we are obviously at the edge of really useful affordable personal AI systems capable of operating in closed environments. I would love to have a curator/concierge for the internet that I could train to find the things/people I want to know about and filter out the crap, ads and stupid comments I could live without.

I don’t see a lot of apps out there aimed at seniors even though this is an affluent and growing market. This may already exist somewhere, but my wife would like some kind of overlay or skin for her smartphone that would restrict the number of options she has to look at. Sort of a flip phone with benefits. There is also a real need for Canadian seniors who are dealing with multiple medical specialists to monitor their collective drug prescriptions to make sure they are not getting mixed a toxic cocktail. If you thought GP’s do that for you, stop dreaming.

A smart millennial who could overcome the horror of conversing with old people might find a lot more.

#81 Smoking Man on 11.12.16 at 10:36 pm

And just to piss off a few heathens.
One more time. When a writer finds its voice.

#82 Entrepreneur on 11.12.16 at 10:48 pm

Have to agree with #50 Count Flipalot…”Technology has also made a lot of people social zeroes…”

Yes, people have to be careful of using technology too much (great for solar technology except for Nevada who doesn’t want solar competition) and balance their lives with everyday living.

Interaction is very important. How many people bother with their neighbours anymore or the community?

#83 Just a dude on 11.12.16 at 11:04 pm

#59:

Dude, you’ve got no class. Nonetheless, here’s a sample:

If still interested Google “Quantum encryption” and ” Quantum sensors”.

#84 Trump is a liar on 11.12.16 at 11:38 pm

Drain the swamp? Lol he is such a liar , a typical CONservative scumbag. He is making the swamp bigger.

#85 Sux to go left on 11.12.16 at 11:39 pm

#86 New West on 11.13.16 at 12:30 am

#74 Andrew Woburn on 11.12.16 at 10:30 pm

On my Samsung Android device –

Settings >My Device > Home Screen Mode > Easy Mode

Or you can install an app like Wiser (available from Google Play for free).

Teh Google is a wonderful thing……..

#87 isuckless on 11.13.16 at 12:44 am

Just a minor comment on Mars colonization:
There is no magnetosphere on Mars as it core is not producing magnetic force. This means no protection to solar wind (particles) so everyone will have to live permanently underground.
Creating atmosphere is a minor task comparing to re-spinning the Mars’ core.

#88 jay on 11.13.16 at 12:56 am

Realtor’s dream pole in Toronto. http://imgur.com/xfb1DFb

#89 Freedom First on 11.13.16 at 1:35 am

#71 crowdedelevatorfartz

Yes. “try harder!”

You could be right. I always have 90 minutes worth of fast music playing loudly so I can only hear the music. I discovered as a young man that my focus is always better without any interruptions. Still works.

#90 Profit or die on 11.13.16 at 2:39 am

Doug, I don’t believe tech can be bought via eft investing, it’s too product specific. Tech is a stock pickers arena. I did buy a CDN beauty in CGI at $15 dollars and hold it now at $63. Otherwise the shotgun approach has yielded little profit.

I see the same thing with healthcare. It’s a stock pickers space without exception. These types are macro calls too far down the pipe to appeal to an investor, dead money for over twenty years. Timing the move for seniors into condos and extended care homes has been an excerise in frustration.

Water stocks at another white whale. The thing about investing too far into the macro is that’s a rookie mistake.

I’m not suggesting timing, but I am saying that trends matter more. Ex is the 10% bump we got in MFC, GWO and SLF last week. I am with you on preferred shares and expect a sharp bump on that space once the individual unit yields are played out.

#91 Yup, You're Old School on 11.13.16 at 2:45 am

Who uses “DVD Video” anymore?

Doug, it is OK to use Scientific Notation in the Blog instead of the number of videos from a technologically redundant data storage device (think Millennial VCR).

We are not that delicate.

Nice to have seen a Kondratiev Wave prediction about where current technology is in the super cycle.

bsant

#92 Wrk.dover on 11.13.16 at 6:20 am

I used technology to order Freedom Firsts favorite porn from Amazon.

I was very surprised when all that arrived was a mirror….

#93 jess on 11.13.16 at 7:12 am

How much did this efficency cost and to whom?

august 2016

Oracle’s MICROS portal

Aug 16
Visa Alert and Update on the Oracle Breach
KrebsOnSecurity broke news of the breach on Aug. 8. That story cited sources close to the investigation saying hackers had broken into hundreds of servers at Oracle’s retail division, and had completely compromised Oracle’s main online support portal for MICROS customers.

Gang Used 3D Printers for ATM Skimmers
skimmers being found in self-checkout lanes at some
WalMart locations.

#94 maxx on 11.13.16 at 7:47 am

#14 Goldie on 11.12.16 at 2:56 pm

“They are often not expecting my cash payments now at the stores. The surveillance economy is not far off.”

It’s been here for a good while now.

#95 David McDonald on 11.13.16 at 8:09 am

Victor V #48 Doug Rowat #26
Victor, thanks for the good tip. XLK matches Doug’s advice. It has had a wonderful run but if the future is as bright as you and Doug suggest then perhaps I should get over my Nortel induced tech phobia.

#96 NoName on 11.13.16 at 8:25 am

interesting read about technology

@doug
how does someone invest in cement and construction?

#97 Greg Ellis on 11.13.16 at 8:40 am

To me “old school” has nothing to do with technology. It has more to with the values of society, family structure, and the way members of a culture treat others, as well as a general belief in humility and the acceptance of responsibility for one’s actions. All of these aspects are markedly worse than in the 1950’s and 1960’s, a decade in which the decline accelerated. The idea of spending time in an arcade instead of playing outdoors seems sad to me. Of course, that trend has been firmly established for decades. A glance at a large portion of kids, teens and millenials who are pasty and over-weight confirms this. “Old school” does not automatically occur with the passage of time or new technology, it is much deeper.

#98 jess on 11.13.16 at 9:10 am

perhaps after reading this old school might “sound” different…e.g ultrasonic inaudible sounds to enable major consumer brands to track users across multiple devices–smartphones, tablets, desktop computers and even TVs.
probabilistic and deterministic cross-device tracking terms are important categories for understanding the issue.

Cross-Device Tracking Requires Strong Privacy and Security Standards

October 19, 2015

Privacy & Data

#99 jess on 11.13.16 at 9:14 am

Facebook announced major changes to its “Ethnic Affinity” targeting program.

Future Structures of the Internet

Mirai botnet

shifting blame from brand to buyer does little to advance protections. It also ignores the reality that the technical know-how to appropriately configure an IoT device rests with industry.

What happens if the company you bought your IoT connected device from decides to stop supporting that device with security updates?

#100 crossbordershopper on 11.13.16 at 9:58 am

i take a page from my native friends, 100% cash, no exception, as quickly as they get their cheque at month end 100% cash out.
no documentation to support anything, dont own anything, not have anything in your name. etc etc.
everyone leaves you alone and wont come after you, creditors, cra etc.
by giving 100% of your money in the hands of people who dont know you or care about you, if this system crushes, you wont have cash for gas or food.
technology, great,

#101 Doug Rowat on 11.13.16 at 10:08 am

#96 Greg Ellis on 11.13.16 at 8:40 am
To me “old school” has nothing to do with technology…

Was Steve Jobs spending time in the garage with Woz buried in electronics instead of walking in the woods a waste of his time? Or Bill Gates slaving away at that old Teletype Model 33 instead of playing in the park a waste of his? ‘Indoor’ doesn’t always equal bad and ‘outdoor’ good.

–Doug

#102 trying to get out as RE crashes on 11.13.16 at 10:13 am

jay on 11.13.16 at 12:56 am
Realtor’s dream pole in Toronto. http://imgur.com/xfb1DFb

Trapped investors/owers are trying to get out of the Toronto RE market as its starting to imploded under its own weight. Realtors are proven liars as any positive news or sales are lies since they don’t allow the public to have access to sales info since the lies would be exposed.

#103 conan on 11.13.16 at 10:14 am

Ten years ago people started getting rid of their TV cable service. Now it is turning into an avalanche of cancellations.

The future is content makers streaming their product directly to viewers who will pay to watch it. Big players like HBO can be a stand alone. Smaller players will have to deal with places like NetFlix.

I expect businesses like Netflix to lose their competitive advantage in the near term. So, I would not include them on that list of 4 err 5 companies to keep.

#104 Smoking Man on 11.13.16 at 10:15 am

TRUMP MAKES HISTORY! Takes Michigan – Gains 306 Electoral Votes . Good luck Mr Soros with your protesters.

Just wondering what happened to the American that was calling me nuts for calling a trump landslide.

He’s been quite lately.

Obama Electoral College votes: 2012 – 332; 2008 – 365. — Garth

#105 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.13.16 at 10:18 am

@#95 NoName
“@doug
how does someone invest in cement and construction?”
********************************************

Buy Renminbi’s ?

#106 Al on 11.13.16 at 10:34 am

Unfortunately, tech advances in medicine will not be seen in Ontario because specialists get paid “per procedure” regardless of the time per procedure. Specialists like opthamologists have been depleting the health care funds by doing 4 to 5 times the number of procedures daily by use of robotics and other technologies, leaving nothing for hospital improvements and nurse salaries.

#107 grumbledeedoo on 11.13.16 at 10:47 am

“Here in Toronto, I even tap a card for the streetcar.’

I think we need to get an online petition going to force Garth to give you a raise. You should be driving a Porsche, and not on public transit!

#108 TurnerNation on 11.13.16 at 11:02 am

I always carry $60-80 in cash and end up using it. In my coat a few twoonies, for tipping bartenders at all those open bar events I end up at.

Else it’s credit card tap for me. I never ever pay using Debit/Interact. Many terminals are rigged by organized crime.

Btw there’s an ETF for that : SOCL.US – Social media.

#109 TurnerNation on 11.13.16 at 11:06 am

Uber: good sometimes and longer trips but many drivers are clueless over routing. There’s still a place for downtown venue hopping hailing a street cab.

#110 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.13.16 at 11:06 am

Never understood why someone reading Plato, Socrates and Aristotle is old school.
And someone playing Warlord on their X-box is new school?

#111 Smoking Man on 11.13.16 at 11:12 am

#73 Glen B on 11.12.16 at 9:45 pm
Cheers,
……

Much appreciated thank you.
Glen

#112 Ponzius Pilatus on 11.13.16 at 11:16 am

–Doug
———————
Doug, remember Exceptions always confirm the Rule.
And by the way Bill Gates was not a visionary just a lucky opportunist.
And also, what would have happened to Michael Jordan had he spent his time in the garage?

#113 Smoking Man on 11.13.16 at 11:18 am

Obama Electoral College votes: 2012 – 332; 2008 – 365. — Garth
….

I was all for Obama back then that’s why he did so well. Trump had the entire MSM against him and he woñ. The power of the internet and social media and a few alians using the UCC.Twitter just band Clint Eastwood cause he openly supported trump. James Woods is next. The left is completely un hinged. I’m going to do an easy on it tonight.

#114 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.13.16 at 11:56 am

@#107 Turner Nation
“If you want to make enemies pay bartenders and taxi drivers on credit card. Cash is king.”
*******************************************

Yep.
I’ll usually pay the bill with credit but tip with cash…..harder for the CRA to audit.

Why should anyone be compensated in a way that promotes tax evasion? Obviously that raises the burden on everyone else. — Garth

#115 Ronaldo on 11.13.16 at 12:07 pm

#54 Juno

”They struggle to get by day to day. The good jobs are held by the boomers over 60 yr old and doesn’t want to let go until they turn 100 years or die. While a college educated gen x can only get a job flipping burgers with no upside to upper management.”
—————————————————————

I take it your a gen x with a college education. If after 20 some years you havn’t established yourself with a decent job makes me think that you are still in your parents basement. Both my sons are GenXers with a college education. Both very successful and wealthy businessmen. And by the way, Donald is the oldest of us boomers.

#116 NoName on 11.13.16 at 12:17 pm

#104 crowdedelevatorfartz on 11.13.16 at 10:18 am

i know money is money but i don’t ininvest in anything commy. i took c brock

#117 NoName on 11.13.16 at 12:18 pm

shoud read i too c and r from BRICKS

#118 Barb on 11.13.16 at 12:37 pm

The thing I hate about technology–using cards vs cash–is that government now knows how much “discretionary” income we have (i.e. what we’re using it for).

Saw a report that said something to the effect of “23% discretionary income”.

Presumably, they compiled info from banks/card companies, who SELL them the information, and determined that the average Canadian had 23% of their income to spend at “recreation/dining (non essentials)”.

I found that outrageous.

Since then, I routinely withdraw ~$100 from my bank account.
Now gov’t hasn’t a clue what it’s being spent on.

#119 Damifino on 11.13.16 at 12:45 pm

I’m 65 and retired these past 10 years. I was a embedded firmware engineer proficient in real time operating systems. Now I fiddle around with things I find fun and for which I get paid nothing (i.e. music production and video editing etc.) I also post on blogs occasionally. I am not a technical Luddite.

I have a very dumb smart phone. It’s an ancient LG C800G with a slide out keypad. You can go on the net with it but its such a slow, painful process I don’t bother most of the time. I text with it. Its helpful to buy things from Craigslist for which I pay cash. Texting is also handy to find my wife when we go our separate ways at the mall or downtown.

I bought an android tablet two years ago which I use as a “lyrics and arrangement cheat sheet” on stage. Oh yeah, I’m a rock and roll drummer too. It turns out the tablet is pretty good for internet stuff but I don’t use it much for that either.

When it comes to computing I don’t like to piddle around. Give me a maxed-out desktop PC with two 26″ monitors any time. I need screen real estate, robust hardware that I can easily re-configure and an ultra fast fiber optic connection. (I detest the universe of Apple where I have available everything THEY could ever want). I prefer using a computer to create rather than consume, although I do both extensively.

I haven’t the slightest interest in celebrity tweeting. I’m on Linked-in by accident. It’s a vestige of my working days. Every now and then I get a message from Linked in suggesting that I congratulate someone I worked with 15 years ago on their 3rd work anniversary at some unknown startup. Wonderful.

No facebook, no twitter no snapchat or whatsapp. I find email works well for me and keeps me busy enough. I hope it never goes away. I hear that’s not too likely.

I pay cash for most things and credit card for everything else. The balance is paid in full monthly. My rent is paid yearly with a dozen post-dated checks. It’s all working out swimmingly well.

And the Trump thing? Get over it.

#120 DisgusMMP on 11.13.16 at 12:55 pm

#63 Freedom First on 11.12.16 at 8:40 pm

Uh… 20 years… And you have WHAT to offer her?

Bud, there’s just something about your attitude that creeps through your words.

#121 Tony on 11.13.16 at 5:27 pm

Any serious pinball player will know who I am. Even at age 58 I’m still the fastest player alive and will play anyone on planet Earth for any amount money on any pinball machine will an arc angle (tilt angle from back to front) of ten (10) degrees or more. Most of my life I played pinball for money at the Broadway arcade in New York. I was part owner of the arcade with Steve Epstein. I was the guy who busted “Jelly” Cartagena aka “fatso” for 115 large in U.S. currency.

#122 conan on 11.13.16 at 5:31 pm

This brings back memories in the arcade sense. I was lucky to live near a pub where the owner just loved pinball games. This was during the 90’s when pinball was impossible to find. He or she went out of their way to find what the top 10 pinball games were and make sure 2 of them were in the bar. Then the owner would rotate the game every 6 months or so.

On the video game side. I was a world class Star Trek game player. I could roll the score without effort. If an arcade was having a tournament and that game was there…. watch out cause I am going to be there to crush.

#123 Tony on 11.13.16 at 5:42 pm

Re: #18 Jungle on 11.12.16 at 3:48 pm

I’d wager Google will be the only surviving company intact within ten years time. Facebook bankrupt, Tesla, Amazon and Netflix both taken out with a buyout.

#124 The Technical Analyst on 11.14.16 at 4:30 pm

– I don’t own a cell phone (or “mobile phone”) never have. Although I do think I might buy a pager.

– I do use pay phones. There are still quite a number of them around. $0.50 a call, unlimited time.

– I try to always pay in cash, in fact, I usually have several hundred dollars laying around. I have never used TAP, although my card supports it, I asked for it to be deactivated.

– I had a landline and corded phone just a few years ago.

– I only buy manual transmission cars. Even my Porcshe is manual.