Thankfully

YOGA CAT modified

I’m a grateful guy, who’s also been called a turkey on this blog, which makes me the perfect Thanksgiving dude.

Naturally I’m grateful for Dorothy, whom I married when I was 21 with an earring, and Bandit who five years ago was a rescue dog who rescued me after the prime minister booted my butt. I like it when they lick me.

I’m thankful I got into financial stuff instead of, say, something where you have to wear protective clothing. Actually I started as a journalist – a business type – and over many long years came to see there’s little else absolutely everybody sweats over, than money. Without it, life sucks. Thankfully, I’ve had the epiphany. Money isn’t the goal, since you can earn, borrow or steal it. The real purpose of life is to enjoy your limited time. You cannot mortgage one moment. And that’s what money helps.

I’m a thankful person that my day job now allows me to give some peace and security to individual families. Over the years I’ve been a media guy, a government guy and given speeches to vast numbers of people plus doing the TV and book thing. But my work now is the best. How can you not like helping people every day, so they worry less about soulless cash?

Thankful, of course, to live here. The country’s not perfect, run by a few too many doofuses and populated with a surfeit of house-horny, granite-stroking, debt-snorfling hipsters. But it’s basically a decent and fair place with an open society and ample opportunity. Not too many guns, no Tea Party and doctors who provided sixteen screws and three plates to fix my leg for less than I would have paid at Home Depot.

I think the system’s worthy of thanks, too. Imperfections abound, evidenced by the growing gap between the rich and the rest, but it’s stable and resilient. We don’t worry about banks failing or the city going bankrupt. As much as people on this site moan and slather over monetary policy, banksters, elites and rigged markets, fact is we inhabit an oasis of stability in a world of swirling crises. Most people have cars, houses, cable and cell phones. How bad is that?

I’m even thankful for this pathetic blog, populated with basement-dwelling mouldy Millennials to unconscionably wealthy wrinklies. Once intended to flog a few books and irritate realtors, it’s descended into a morass of opinion now visited six million times a year, without which the HuffPost would be desperate for story ideas.

So, thank you. It’s all good. I’ll be a problem again on Sunday. Honest.

#1 åå on 10.10.14 at 6:41 pm

“Ta’ i lige måde,”
and/or “à vous aussi”
and/or “Same to you”

Give my regards to Bandit…

#2 Goody Niosi on 10.10.14 at 6:43 pm

Thanks, Garth – love your post today. Your vastly entertaining blog is one of the things I am thankful for. :)

#3 sotiri on 10.10.14 at 6:46 pm

Thank you Garth.

#4 Northone on 10.10.14 at 6:48 pm

Thanks Garth for bring a clear focus to these confusing financial times.

Happy Thanksgiving. Keep writing, keep smiling and pat Bandit tonight.

#5 I'm Still Around on 10.10.14 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Garth for all your hard work and being the voice of reason!!

#6 IM in C on 10.10.14 at 6:52 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Mr. Turner !!

#7 espressobob on 10.10.14 at 6:53 pm

Thanks for the help Garth!

#8 Alberta Ed on 10.10.14 at 6:54 pm

Amen! Best country in the world, IMHO; came to Canada in 1970 and never regretted it. Not to mention, my new hip cost zilch, and I was back on the Harley in three weeks.

#9 Derek R on 10.10.14 at 6:57 pm

And does it need saying? Of course it does! Thank you, Garth for all the advice and entertainment, week in week out. You are making a difference. And many of us appreciate it even if we don’t all say “thank you” every day.

Have a great weekend and I hope that it includes a balanced, liquid, diversified Thanksgiving dinner.

#10 nincompoop on 10.10.14 at 6:58 pm

Despite my thick skull I may have absorbed a few lessons.
Kudos on being the Howard Stern of the blog world. The comments section sure proves a diverse following and no, the irony is not lost.

#11 westcoaster on 10.10.14 at 7:04 pm

Thank you for your humour, as twisted as it is sometimes, patience, and ability to reduce what is often complicated financial principle into something digestible for anybody who cares to devote a bit of time and some grey matter to mapping out sensible strategy.
Carry on – some day you might even come to your senses, wipe the oil off your H-D and go Italian.

#12 Vanecdotal on 10.10.14 at 7:04 pm

Thank you for being a shiny, crotchety-but-likeable contrarian light in the soulless abyss of msm Garth. I can’t tell you how many friends and colleagues I’ve turned on to your blog over the years, the usual reaction the next day being “Wow. I had no idea, I thought real estate only goes up, how come I’ve never heard about this stuff? Hmmm…” It’s especially rewarding when uttered from the mouths of the wide-eyed, rosy-cheeked condo-keener Millenials. Hopefully it’s helping to save a few from financial suicide along the way. Keep up the good work.

#13 Retired Boomer - WI on 10.10.14 at 7:05 pm

Hon GT,

Agree, It IS all good. We (blog dogs) just like to bitch, thinking that might make good even better.

See you Sunday!

#14 johnny d on 10.10.14 at 7:07 pm

Amen. (Am I allowed to say that in this country anymore?)

#15 PJ on 10.10.14 at 7:07 pm

Happy thanksgiving Garth. I appreciate your insight on real estate and the Canadian economy. Cheers!

PJ

#16 Daisy Mae on 10.10.14 at 7:09 pm

“….doctors who provided sixteen screws and three plates to fix my leg for less than I would have paid at Home Depot.”

*****************

And, speaking of that leg….how is it doing? Are you walking without crutches, riding the Harley…things back to normal?

#17 Lisa on 10.10.14 at 7:09 pm

Yes, many things to be thankful for. I enjoy reading this blog. Now let’s get ready to eat some turkey this weekend!

#18 Daisy Mae on 10.10.14 at 7:11 pm

‘HAPPY THANKSGIVING’ to all. I’ll be working Monday. LOL *sigh*

#19 Guy on 10.10.14 at 7:12 pm

I’ll be a problem again on Sunday. Honest.

Hmmm. How about Monday. Take the time to enjoy your family.

#20 StatsFreak on 10.10.14 at 7:12 pm

Garth – Happy Thanksgiving, to both you and Dorothy and Bandit. I give thanks every day I get to read your fabulous blog.

:0)

#21 CanadianOne on 10.10.14 at 7:13 pm

Many Many Thanks Garth for your great work. We represent one of those individual families that have immensely benefited from you value/vision in your daily rant on this blog. Cheers.

#22 ronh on 10.10.14 at 7:13 pm

Lets all give thanks for what we have. There will always be someone who has less and is worse off than you are.
Hokey words but true none the less.

#23 UTSBLUE on 10.10.14 at 7:14 pm

I’m sure you’re also thankful that your parents decided to send you to the greatest high school around. I am.

#24 Snowboid on 10.10.14 at 7:14 pm

No, thank you, oh wise professor!

Although we are most definitely wrinkly, and only nearly wealthy, we don’t believe in excess – just enjoy the time we still have and thank goodness for our investment income.

Had we not taken your advice in 2011 and liberated our home equity to serve wonderful purposes, we would still be sitting in that mouldy Victoria mini-McMansion house rich and barely scraping by!

The best to you and your family (and the Amazons) for a great Thanksgiving!

#25 Daisy Mae on 10.10.14 at 7:14 pm

Where is ‘Old Man’? The ‘Cat Food Lady’? The ‘American’?

#26 Win on 10.10.14 at 7:15 pm

Thank you Garth.
I am one of your many readers who is thankful for your continued commitment to truth and transparency.
Thanks for all your hard work.

#27 WestyEddy on 10.10.14 at 7:17 pm

Garth, it is we who want to thank you, for your dark sense of humour, your patient peddling of a perspective that is purely positive and productive – a gift to us all. Imagine the ripples of conversations begun by all the people who have visited this site, and then said to someone else, “I was reading this blog, where I learned a few things….” to which the other will reply, “Yeah, like what….” and so it goes.
Thanks, and enjoy some turkey.

#28 Brian Ripley on 10.10.14 at 7:17 pm

“…without which the HuffPost would be desperate for story ideas.” Garth said

Ha. So true, big media needs the blog-o-twitter-sphere to understand what concerns the reader.

I notice a bit of a spike on my blog and I think that is a reflection of reader’s concerns that the financial markets are swinging on big volatility. The last major time that occurred in 2007-08, real estate in Canada and globally corrected big time. Then, central banks cut rates and bailed out selected corporations. Now rates are too low to significantly cut. Will the public tolerate bailing out more over leveraged actors?

It has been a banner year for MLS real estate sales across Canada, look at the amazing zoom:

…and that mojo showed up in new peak prices for Toronto and Calgary SFDs in September. But it looks a bit top heavy and in need of refreshing the price discovery process. Patient buyers will be thankful.

#29 Michael in sleepy Moncton on 10.10.14 at 7:18 pm

I’m thankfull i experienced the GFC ealry enough in my life, forced me to pay attention and became a DYI, found this blog and others ( clearly not as informative)…I’m thankful for understanding the importance of not buying too much house….hey i live in Moncton you can buy a LOT of House here for same $$ as compared to the rest of the country, thankful for diversified and balanced portfolio… i’m not giving you credit garth :-0 but you’ve helped me, i worked at it on my own too, but all the same Thank You. Oh and I got my mutt from the SPCA I’m thankful for her too…

#30 Toronto_CA on 10.10.14 at 7:20 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Garth and you Blogdogs.
Enjoy your weekend as it looks like a bumpy October!

#31 BallsofSteel on 10.10.14 at 7:21 pm

You are the man and we are thankful for that.
A brilliant post young GT and is a reminder why you were placed on this earth.
Have a good one, mate.

#32 Mishuko on 10.10.14 at 7:24 pm

I was actually thinking of asking you what you prefer better since you truly serve the people.

Good to know Garth… and you’ve also inspired me in my career path. Help educate so they can build and protect wealth. Just not quiet there yet =P

#33 TS on 10.10.14 at 7:25 pm

I’m thankful for Amazons

#34 Mohamed on 10.10.14 at 7:25 pm

Garth, many thanks for the free, daily financial advice. Your posts are not only educational but they also have aesthetic value. As for Canada, like you said, it is not a perfect (no country is perfect) but one of the best places I either lived in or visited (I immigrated to Canada 25 years ago and now live elsewhere). I will always remember how welcoming and nice were some of the people I met when I first arrived. So, thank you Canada for being the country you are!

#35 Andrewski on 10.10.14 at 7:26 pm

Happy Thanksgiving To Garth & all the Blogdogs!

#36 JG on 10.10.14 at 7:26 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Garth!

#37 Canaan on 10.10.14 at 7:27 pm

I agree…lots to be thankful for in our country. Thanks for mentioning it.

#38 surfsideboomer on 10.10.14 at 7:29 pm

Today I am grateful to you Garth for making a comment several months back that all investments were fluffy at the same time and to wait till the market shed 10 to 15% before heading back in. You said it would be hard to wait but I did and now I am thankful I waited. Bless you Garth for all that you do for us.

#39 Dave Smith on 10.10.14 at 7:29 pm

I am very disturbed by this post Garth. I do not come to this blog to hear happy stuff like this. I come here to hear how my fellow Canadians are all stupid and are about to financial implode to the point that they have to live like Viggo Mortensen from The Road.

#40 takla on 10.10.14 at 7:31 pm

thx as well to you sir garth.its hard to put a value on a pathetic,cyberspace blog such as the greater fool but id rank it right up there with… getting skunked going fishing,my Harley with a flat tire,wife layed up with a touch of yeast infection and having molars pulled @ the dentist.
keep up the good work and im glad you enjoy doing it!

#41 chopper on 10.10.14 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Garth for you service to Canada and your dedication to helping people like me.
You are a true Canadian who is blessed to be where you are in life and want to help some poor lost souls make sound financial decisions.

Happy thanksgiving to you and Dorothy.
Terry

#42 Smoking Man on 10.10.14 at 7:37 pm

Some of you are wacked, others brilliant.. But it’s what makes up the world and you can learn a lot here..

Look at the comments section of Zero hedge, national post and other websites. The quality of the contributions
sucks.

This by far is the best comment section on the Web.

And it’s you guys that make it fun..

#43 Smoking Man on 10.10.14 at 7:41 pm

#25 Daisy Mae on 10.10.14 at 7:14 pm

Old man is here every day, reading but not posting.. He has his reasons..

I miss beach girl..

#44 Keith on 10.10.14 at 7:44 pm

Grateful for all that has been mentioned and wishing all posters, even the ones that get up my nose some quality time with family and friends this holiday weekend. Keep the financial faith.

#45 OttawaMike on 10.10.14 at 7:49 pm

Nice Thanksgiving tribute.

You did however fail to mention the vast conspiracy unfolding through the Illuminati and the Reptilian shape shifters who first want to corner the world’s gold supply and then go on to restrict our ability to readily obtain tin foil.

#46 rower on 10.10.14 at 7:52 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Turner family and all blog dogs!

We are faithful readers of your blog in this house, Garth, and are very grateful for the education.

#47 Scully on 10.10.14 at 7:53 pm

I would not have come across this site if it wasn’t for Huff Post so I am thankful for that. You have changed the lives of many for the better.
Happy Thanksgiving!
PS, the comment section would not be the same without Smoking Man. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

#48 nonplused on 10.10.14 at 7:56 pm

Well said, Garth, our problems are all pretty first world, and there is a lot to be thankful for. Every now and then I try to think what it might be like to live in Syria or Iraq and conclude pretty quickly that I’m sure glad I live here.

Thanks for all the good advice over the years. I’m actually getting pretty close to following most of it! Just the TFSA to go! I’ve got it set up but haven’t deployed the money yet, been busy with the financial advisor part.

Have a great weekend!

#49 Nemesis on 10.10.14 at 7:57 pm

#”Thankfully”?… #F**kYa,Eh?… #YouCanSayThatAgain!… #OrSoSayEarthaKittYkats:

#50 GTAHouseHunter on 10.10.14 at 7:57 pm

Great going so far Garth!

Shelved our plans again to buy a house in the suburbs. I dont know how people are able to afford, as even after clearing well into 6 figures I dont think I can afford a decent Semi in Mississauga.
Do you think the market would be more rational the coming Spring

#51 Flamed out in Kitchener on 10.10.14 at 7:57 pm

Thank you for giving a damn … every day. True journalistic integrity … rare in these TMZ days. I’ve been reading you since the Sun days (early 80’s) and attended a few seminars (IPC) … we met once at the Investor Education Center on Bay St. … you’re a true Canadian icon (maybe not to Stevie, but surely to those on this blog) Thanks for all you do. Every year I do a generous donation to the KW Humane Society … I’ll put in an extra $100 in Bandits honour this year. Happy Thanksgiving.

#52 Retired Boomer - WI on 10.10.14 at 7:59 pm

Didn’t realize it was “Thanksgiving” in Canada. Where ARE my manners?

Happy Thanksgiving to all. We all have much to be thankful for, time being the greatest gift of all!

#53 Vivid Dreams on 10.10.14 at 8:00 pm

Every bit of financial knowledge I have stemmed from You. I’m not well but because of You I feel/hope that my Wife’s future is somewhat secure(money-wise at least). What You do means a lot and I thank You from the deepest sections of my brain.

I don’t bring much to the table in return but maybe this can help you find your “fountain of youth” so you can enjoy your billions for EVEN longer.

I have no affiliation. The caveman thing is a bit cheesy. It comes across as very ‘salesish’ but his site is the closest thing I can find to a complete, efficient package towards optimal health and longevity.

PS. Aside from your head shot, I’ve never seen a pic of you so I’m not suggesting that you’re fat or are in need of any dietary intervention.

Thank You again, Mr. Turner.

#54 Freedom First on 10.10.14 at 8:00 pm

Right on Garth! I feel the same way, and thank you for your Blog and all that you do!

To all of the Blog Dawgs: Thank all of you who post. I have been reading Garth for years now, and I have to say that at the start I wished that some of you would stop posting. However, today, and for quite some time, I have no idea how it happened, I appreciate everyone who posts. Makes this Blog very special, as, you even put up with me.

Thanksgiving, time to count my Blessings, and may you all focus on your Blessings, not your worries, and enjoy the Thanksgiving weekend. Thank you everyone.

#55 CPG on 10.10.14 at 8:00 pm

Have a great Thanksgiving Garth, Dorothy, and Bandit.

Thanks for the great venue to discuss the unprecedented drama which is currently taking place in our financial world.

#56 DON on 10.10.14 at 8:01 pm

6 million times a year. As we witness the slow progression away from the traditional M$M to the blogs who provide an investigative approach.

Congrats, Garth. Happy Thanksgiving!

I rarely comment anymore but never miss a day. The comment section shares knowledge and is hilarious at times. LOL Trollers beware!

#57 mitzerboy on 10.10.14 at 8:01 pm

thanks garth and to all the blogdogs
you all make it complete

#58 Mic on 10.10.14 at 8:02 pm

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Health, happiness, challenging careers, good friends, family, food and wine, and a great dog – I am very thankful.

Garth, I’m glad to hear that you enjoy doing this. I look forward to reading your blog daily. I found it in 2009 while scouring the internet to find someone who supported my belief that real estate was overpriced in Ottawa. There weren’t many supporters!

I’m still somewhat intrigued about that picture of me (?) naked on this blog. :-)

#59 Mike in the Okanagan on 10.10.14 at 8:02 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmm….turkey

#60 SilverMeridian on 10.10.14 at 8:02 pm

SilverMeridian Greater Ottawa surReal Estate Update

Steady as she goes for September real estate sales in Ottawa

“Ottawa, October 3, 2014 – Members of the Ottawa Real Estate Board sold 1,133 residential properties in September through the Board’s Multiple Listing Service® system, compared with 1,118 in September 2013, an increase of 1.3 per cent. The five-year average for September sales is 1,103. “ “Our community is fortunate to enjoy one of the most stable real estate markets in Canada,” says Randy Oickle, President of the Ottawa Real Estate Board.“

Looks like Ottawa RE board is very proud of that 1.3 percent increase in sales, if only they didn’t forget to mention a 12.6 percent increase in the Active Inventory over the same period of time!

And what about almost 8 percent increase in Residential New Listings? Doesn’t look like important enough piece of statistics?

The only thing “steady” on the Ottawa RE market right now is year after ever increasing pile up of listings on MLS.

#61 mitzerboy on 10.10.14 at 8:03 pm

thanks garth and to all the blogdogs
this rag is my boots on the ground

#62 LifeXpert on 10.10.14 at 8:03 pm

Amen to that!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Let us be thankful for this country, the country we have a privilege to call home!

#63 Smoking Man on 10.10.14 at 8:03 pm

Daisy Mae

Sent him an email.. Asking what gives..

Old Man went on vacation to Mexico and met a young Amazona riding her horse. It was love at first sight and they are shacked up in a Casa living in the mountains.

He’s having the time of his life… He’s got the big picture
figured out. I saw the pics. She’s hot…

#64 Thanks back at ya on 10.10.14 at 8:09 pm

Yes, I too am very thankful to live in Canada, with its warts ‘n’ all.

Thank you for your entertaining blog entries, six days a week – that is quite an achievement which brings both fun and enlightenment to so many.

Cheers, Alwyn

#65 Barry in Pickering on 10.10.14 at 8:11 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to Garth and all on the forum. We live in the greatest country on earth!

#66 Ardy on 10.10.14 at 8:12 pm

Thank you Garth, for opening up the blog to give us your opinions on other matters besides housing.

Not many of us have the insight you have gained from your experience. You know how the “system” works from the inside and share a glimpse with us from time to time.

It all adds up to very interesting and informative reading every day.

And yes, thank goodness we had the great fortune to be born in Canada.

We won the birth lottery…….and we should be thankful.

#67 Andy on 10.10.14 at 8:14 pm

Thanks Garth

#68 Dual Citizen In Canada on 10.10.14 at 8:17 pm

Hey Garth, as a dual citizen, I get to celebrate two thanksgivings, right? Whitekat, you gotta admit this is a perk. Happy “Canadian” Thanksgiving to all.

#69 Cow Man on 10.10.14 at 8:18 pm

Sir Garth:

Like the others who come here to read your muses, I am thankful for your blog. Thank you

#70 Nemesis on 10.10.14 at 8:31 pm

#@WestCoaster/11… #Shhhh!… #LooseLipsSinkShips!… #JustForYou:

#71 David W on 10.10.14 at 8:34 pm

I’m thankful for Garth’s advice and everyone’s posts, you’re awesome.

It also doesn’t hurt having the big guy upstairs watching out.

Happy thanksgiving!

#72 Happy Renting on 10.10.14 at 8:36 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Garth, Dorothy, and Bandit. Also to the blog dogs and their families, I appreciate this engaged community of commenters.

Since so many on here are well off (or totally freaking rich), please remember to share some of your good fortune with your local food bank or another worthy cause. If you’re thankful at Thanksgiving, make sure others less fortunate have something to be thankful for, too.

#73 TnT on 10.10.14 at 8:36 pm

This is by far the most informative and entertaining blog on the Net, I really appreciate your dedication to the cause…

Thanks Garth

#74 World Traveller on 10.10.14 at 8:37 pm

rescued me after the prime minister booted my butt. I love it when they lick me.

The PM licked you?

#75 AACI Home-Dog on 10.10.14 at 8:39 pm

Happy thanksgiving, Garth & dogs…
I am thankful that real estate is not unreasonable in this small town area, with average house prices about $250k, and values stable, with good sales activity. Kids can get a fair start here. Finding good jobs can be an issue, but if you have a good head on your shoulders, success will prevail. Canada is indeed blessed.

#76 DG from halifax on 10.10.14 at 8:40 pm

Garth.. I’m thankful for you and the many years you have been a voice of sense and reality. Your blog is something I read and look forward too..Also, I amthankful to be a Canadian..it ain’t perfect here, but we are lucky folks when you look around at the rest of the world.

#77 Vangrrl on 10.10.14 at 8:44 pm

Give Bandit a kiss for me. This will be my first Thanksgiving in 16 years without my dog :(. But thankful I had so much time.
Always a fan, Garth!

#78 saskatoon on 10.10.14 at 8:45 pm

thank-you, garth.

#79 quebec economist on 10.10.14 at 8:45 pm

always enjoy your holiday post. I remember the new year post 2014 was touching….They show that you arn’t that much of a jerk after all.

cheers,

#80 West Coast on 10.10.14 at 8:46 pm

I am very grateful for this blog – for your brilliant, day after day observations, Garth,and for the blog dogs’ comments. It’s made me think a lot more carefully about retirement, investments and all things financial.
Many, many thanks……

#81 John in Mtl on 10.10.14 at 8:46 pm

Yes indeed we live in the “plus meilleur pays du monde” (words of J-Chretien) when compared even to our closest neighbour and despite our leaders and politicians that all too often do a good job of butchering it.

Thank you for your stories, anecdotes and great advice; given with much generosity and humour. There is always much to do but my evenings would not be the same without your daily writings and the comments from the myriad of your followers :)

Have a nice, long, weekend.

You too “blog dogs” :)

John

#82 Joe2.0 on 10.10.14 at 8:50 pm

Dow gives up this years earnings.
Money comes and goes.
Time is priceless.

#83 Sheane Wallace on 10.10.14 at 8:58 pm

was the earring golden or silver?

#84 Bob Rice on 10.10.14 at 9:01 pm

Unemployment dropped to 6.8% – lowest in 6 years… 75K jobs created… mostly full-time.

#85 ozy - we should be grateful everyday on 10.10.14 at 9:02 pm

we should be grateful everyday – thanking the universe we exist and have mobility…of eyes, arms, legs, :) etc

and start being nicer to others – reduce the amount of fake and deceiving politeness and increase amount of actual altruistic actions….

Canada is kindergarten when it come to this, let’s help promote it to Grade 1, folks!

be better!

#86 Linda on 10.10.14 at 9:11 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all. We are truly blessed to live in Canada. Some joke about how boring Canadians are but given the excitement other countries get to experience (the 4 horsemen in various configurations) I’m happy to be living in ‘boring’ Canada instead:)

#87 olderthanaboomer on 10.10.14 at 9:23 pm

Loved #9 Derek R …balanced, liquid, diversified Thanksgiving dinner
Also #73 “the PM licked you?
I believe we don’t have enough to do.
Thanks for the wit; enjoy weekend all.

#88 olderthanaboomer on 10.10.14 at 9:24 pm

Loved #9 Derek R …balanced, liquid, diversified Thanksgiving dinner
Also #73 “the PM licked you?

I believe we don’t have enough to do.
Thanks for the wit; enjoy weekend all.

#89 will on 10.10.14 at 9:30 pm

Thanks Garth. Not a day goes by that I don’t read your post and all the comments. Thankful for everything and everybody here.

#90 Inglorious Investor on 10.10.14 at 9:32 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

#91 TEMPORARY® Foreign Prime Minister on 10.10.14 at 9:34 pm

Excellent post this evening. Another keeper for future reference.

#92 Puzni on 10.10.14 at 9:36 pm

What a great post! Thank you Garth for not being a sheep like the rest of the parliament and for all the great work you do here! Have a great weekend and once again – Thank You

#93 Paleo Girl on 10.10.14 at 9:42 pm

I’m going to second #53 Vivid Dreams’ recommendation for Marks Daily Apple. I’m truly grateful for Garth, but also grateful for discovering the Paleo diet for it has literally saved my life.

Happy Thanksgiving Garth! You Rock…

#94 1drs on 10.10.14 at 9:48 pm

Garth, you have given me the information I needed to achieve financial freedom. All I can offer you in return is my thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to you , Dorothy and Bandit.

#95 Bill Gable on 10.10.14 at 9:50 pm

Thank you for the best written and helpful blog on the Net. It just keeps getting better and better.

Our best to Mrs. Turner, Bandit, and of course, the Amazons = have a great Thanksgiving.

*Full Disclosure – Mr. Turner and Scott take care of my Family.
Both of you have made a point of being available, helpful, and always generous with your advice.
I know that if my current health issues take a turn, I don’t worry about what I leave behind. Why?

Because I know my Family has you on our side.

Cheers, Garth!

#96 4 AM Sunrise on 10.10.14 at 9:56 pm

#73 World Traveller on 10.10.14 at 8:37 pm

I thought he was talking about Dorothy.

#97 CPG on 10.10.14 at 10:03 pm

“Over the past 6 years, Central Bankers have led the world in a barrage of ‘emergency easing’ measures that were taken right out of the failed play book of Japan since its property and stock market bubbles burst in 1989.

Similar steps have not surprisingly led to similar outcomes: toxic debt levels in households, corporations and governments, predictably weak demand, resumed asset deflation and mismanaged zombie banks still holding securities at marked-to-make-believe valuations.”

World economy turning Japanese: debt on debt = deflation

#98 Bottoms_Up on 10.10.14 at 10:06 pm

#39 Dave Smith on 10.10.14 at 7:29 pm
————————————————
lol, thanks for the humour.

#99 FormerSaskie on 10.10.14 at 10:06 pm

Thankful I found your blog Garth. Enjoy your turkey.

#100 OlderbutWiser on 10.10.14 at 10:08 pm

Well, we are not all basement dwelling moldy millennials. I have been reading you since you were a journalist at the Sun. Good times back then. I even have one of your first books…I think it was printed on newsprint lol.

We all have many things to be thankful for. Myself, I am so very thankful that, as a woman, I was born in North America. I visited India a couple of years ago and there, women are nothing but property. An eye opening experience. In Canada, everyone has the opportunity to make something of themselves. The sky is the limit….all that is needed is hard work.

Happy Thanksgiving to all….

#101 Nemesis on 10.10.14 at 10:11 pm

#OnlyForOurMagnanimousHost:

[NoteToSaltierDogz: Just kidding. For you, too. Duh.]

#102 joblo on 10.10.14 at 10:12 pm

Ok, I’ll play, Thanks for:
Batman ears
Camel toes
Preferreds
REITS
ETF’s
Bond Ladders
but mostly Harpo punting you, so we get our almost daily dose of Garth :)

#103 Bottoms_Up on 10.10.14 at 10:13 pm

#58 Mic on 10.10.14 at 8:02 pm
————————————–
Careful about your interpretation of the Ottawa market (Garth doesn’t mention it much)…it is quite a stable real estate market. You likely won’t see 2009 prices again, although listings are piling up and one would think something’s gotta give.

#104 b on 10.10.14 at 10:16 pm

Garth, I am thankful you came into our lives. You brought me a lot of peace of mind and lowered my anxiety level by a lot. Knowing you’re around to answer all my silly questions brings great comfort. Peace.

#105 I forget on 10.10.14 at 10:19 pm

Also all participating bloggers

#106 chapter 9 on 10.10.14 at 10:20 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Garth!! Everyday above ground is a good day!!

#107 waiting on the west coast on 10.10.14 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for all the nuggets and the great ripostes. Looking forward to more learning and entertaining reading. Most of all, thank all of you for keeping my house urges in check. ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving!

#108 gladiator on 10.10.14 at 10:22 pm

Garth, thank you for all the useful and insightful information.
You saved me and my family from a big mistake (buying a house) a few years ago. I cannot find enough good words to describe how much I appreciate it. I was very close to making a very big mistake.

#109 Bottoms_Up on 10.10.14 at 10:22 pm

#50 GTAHouseHunter on 10.10.14 at 7:57 pm
—————————————————-
If I were a first time buyer in the GTA…no way. I’d plan on renting for 5 years to see what the market brings. Or consider relocating to a more reasonable city.

#110 not 1st on 10.10.14 at 10:26 pm

Garth, happy thanksgiving.

Maybe when you return you can address the HAM problem again;

#111 SCalgary on 10.10.14 at 10:46 pm

Thank you Garth! Your high thoughts are an inspiration to me!

Greetings to the family!

#112 Waldo on 10.10.14 at 10:47 pm

Thanks Garth, love your daily dose of reality. Have a happy thanksgiving!

#113 Blacksheep on 10.10.14 at 10:47 pm

Agreed. Since I have to be stuck on a tax farm (don’t we all?), Canada, is the best of the bunch. That and when climate change really kicks in, Van is only going to get better.

This goes out to Garth personally: Thanks for tolerating our (my?) anti systemic venting. Just when I think, that’s not getting posted, it does. I realize I’m not changing jack, but discussing it with others helps me maintain some sanity.

#114 tomavitch on 10.10.14 at 10:55 pm

Thanks Garth for all of the insight you have provided over the years, it has changed my life. I first came into contact with you in February 2009, when I was goaded into attending a session at North view, in Surrey. I got my book autographed and have been a follower ever since.
I was wondering if you would like to comment on the implications on the RDSP in a blog post sometime in the future as my daughter suffers from crohns disease, and is limited in her employment opportunities.

To all the blog dawgs, I really enjoy the all of the posts, they help keeping me coming back every day!
Happy Thanksgiving, as we have much to be thankful for…

Tomavitch

#115 SamIAm on 10.10.14 at 11:01 pm

I am thankful to Stevie Harpurr for booting you out, so you can be vastly more useful to society then you would ever be if left to your vices in conjurvative party

#116 Mike as in Mike on 10.10.14 at 11:01 pm

Thank you Garth. I don’t always agree with you but I do respect what you say.

#117 WhiteKat on 10.10.14 at 11:04 pm

“… fact is we inhabit an oasis of stability in a world of swirling crises.” Wow, I wonder how long that will last?

#118 Bailing in BC on 10.10.14 at 11:08 pm

“How can you not like helping people every day, so they worry less about soulless cash”

I’m thankful for the above line because frankly I’m going to steal it.

Happy Thanksgiving Garth and all.

#119 cmj on 10.10.14 at 11:13 pm

Thanks for taking the day to remind us to be thankful for all that we have as Canadians. I am especially thankful for your blog that brings insightful information and clarity. Great job and enjoy your Thanksgiving with family, especially with Dorothy and Bandit.

#120 WhiteKat on 10.10.14 at 11:28 pm

…ooops, ‘how long will that last?’
@dualcitizen, its no perk for most of us – Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Will you be joining us for the unveiling?

#121 Slim on 10.10.14 at 11:36 pm

I’m thankful for 911 and the emergency room staff, including cardiologist who came in after hours to unplug a main artery to my heart.

Be thankful for what you have. Things can change in an instant.

#122 Basil Fawlty on 10.10.14 at 11:38 pm

Be thankful and enjoy this weekend.
Tuesday we can get back to slagging each other.

Basil the Dink

#123 Renter's Revenge! on 10.10.14 at 11:41 pm

“Thank you very much Garth My tsfa is up to $5500. with not much of a hit on the volatile market. Your humor and honor are inspiring Have a great Holiday
Also all participating bloggers” #104 I forget

So… you’ve been been short the S&P over the last 5 years and just recently rebalanced into a GIC? Nice! I’ve benefitted alot from Garth’s advice as well!

#124 Ronaldo on 10.10.14 at 11:44 pm

#42 Smoking Man on 10.10.14 at 7:37 pm

”I’m thankful for this little corner of the Web. It’s moody and dedicated host. I like all the poster, every one of you bastards even the haters.

sucks.

This by far is the best comment section on the Web.

And it’s you guys that make it fun..”
————————————————
I couldn’t agree more. Thanks Garth for all that you do and have a great thanksgiving.

#125 UVZ on 10.10.14 at 11:45 pm

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for giving us this blog!

#126 Renter's Revenge! on 10.10.14 at 11:52 pm

“Dow gives up this years earnings.
Money comes and goes.
Time is priceless.” #81 Joe2.0

Correction:
Those who sold today gave up this year’s earnings.
The rest of us just wasted our time watching the markets.
Wait…

#127 Irvin Leroux on 10.10.14 at 11:52 pm

Nice message Garth and a heartfelt Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loyal readers. I am truly grateful for all of the continued support from so many of you these past weeks in my ongoing battle to hold Revenue Canada accountable to a duty of care for all of us. I am truly humbled for the generous contributions I have received and continue to receive. I have a week to go in my current campaign and I need support – afterall, “imperfections abound” in our system (paying lawyers is necessary to achieve results) and I am David v Goliath in the court room. I am grateful to have retained a powerful legal team with your support. A team that will defend the duty of care against the CRA and department of justice lawyers, but to complete the appeal process costs money. A couple of weeks ago I delivered the documents to my lawyers: http://youtu.be/bZoqpbuqnwc.
CRA says it has never been held accountable to a duty of care in the past, but I say it’s about time to change that. they are public servants and they have a duty to get it right and not to treat taxpayers in a negligent manner.
Thankful to live in a place where we can all stand together in such a public battle and make a big change for the better!
#112 Blacksheep – change can happen!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,
Irvin

#128 Asian Guy in Richmond on 10.10.14 at 11:58 pm

Thank you Garth for the blog. And don’t get soft on us now.

#129 Red Deer Rob on 10.11.14 at 12:13 am

As an over-educated millennial I am thankful I have a job, even though it’s not in my major. Also, thanks to you Garth and all the contributors on here.

#130 Panhead on 10.11.14 at 12:18 am

#76 Vangrrl on 10.10.14 at 8:44 pm
This will be my first Thanksgiving in 16 years without my dog

You are not alone, lost mine too this year. Miss him.
Always greatful to live here … we have sooo much.

#131 Exurban on 10.11.14 at 12:19 am

There is indeed a lot to give thanks for.

Of possible interest to blog readers, CMHC staff and Mark Carney groupies/haters:

Bank of England must act aggressively to curb house price growth

Lord Adair Turner, the former chairman of the Financial Services Authority, says introducing stricter caps on the amount people can borrow for a mortgage will make it easier for first time buyers to get on the housing ladder, not harder

#132 John Brydle on 10.11.14 at 12:39 am

Garth, great heart felt post today, I appreciate your blog, which has given me some comfort, after years of reading all the Doomer internet sites, which tends to put one in a catatonic state of fear. I like your reasoned, intelligent perspective on investment, Realestate, and Money.
A big Thanksgiving THANK YOU.

#133 Cici on 10.11.14 at 12:52 am

This blog is too cheery Garth, but I’ll forgive you cause it’s Friday, the long weekend, and you deserve an extra day off. Just please don’t make a habit of this feel-goody stuff.

Especially given that there are some serious headwinds gusting our way:

Poloz to abandon general rate guidance – http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stephen-poloz-says-rate-guidance-is-addictive-for-markets-1.2795392

Slide in oil prices threatening prosperity of Canada’s West: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/oil-price-at-85-costing-provinces-and-economy-billions-1.2795062

#134 Cici on 10.11.14 at 12:54 am

Oh oops, Happy Thanksgiving to all, and especially Garth for putting up with us ;-)

#135 Cici on 10.11.14 at 1:06 am

#25 Daisy Mae

And Canadian Watchdog?

#136 cheers dude on 10.11.14 at 1:38 am

Thanks dude, happy thanksgiving.

We are incredibly lucky at this point in time, and its good to take a day or two to appreciate it.

#137 The_Iceman on 10.11.14 at 1:53 am

“If the only prayer you ever said was `thank you’, that would suffice” – Meister Eckhart.

#138 debtified on 10.11.14 at 2:04 am

I am thankful for you, Garth. So, thank you for everything that you do on this blog.

Happy Thanksgiving!

#139 Has anyone seen.... on 10.11.14 at 4:51 am

This?

#140 live within your means on 10.11.14 at 5:46 am

I am thankful for so much in my life, but mostly for still being alive.

Thanks Garth for being our FA. I enjoy reading your current blog & loved your former political blog. I rarely comment now.

I wish you, Dorothy & Bandit a wonderful Thanksgiving as well as the other posters. As others have said, don’t forget to give to those less fortunate.

#141 live within your means on 10.11.14 at 6:19 am

#113 tomavitch on 10.10.14 at 10:55 pm

…………….

A neighbour’s son – in his 40’s – was recently diagnosed w/Chron’s. He is on Remicade

Not sure if it is covered in your province. He’s on Remicade http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/crohns-disease/basics/treatment/con-20032061

Not sure if it`s covered in your province? He’s a VP at a high school here so has private insurance & can take time off for treatments at a local hospital. He grew up eating very spicy foods & can is now able to reintroduce them gradually in his meals.

Just a thought. Best wishes to you & your daughter.

#142 live within your means on 10.11.14 at 6:21 am

Pls excuse my double sentences in my previous post.

#143 earthboundmisfit on 10.11.14 at 7:12 am

I’ve always spelled it “doofus”.
The Dufuses run a funeral chapel in Kingston.

#144 Cade on 10.11.14 at 7:21 am

My thanks to you Garth and to the Cow Man without whom our life would not be as good as it is now. May you both enjoy a happy and properous Thanks Giving.

#145 pbrasseur on 10.11.14 at 7:56 am

After years this blog is still useful and a lot of fun.

My regards and thanks to you Garth

#146 lurker on 10.11.14 at 8:17 am

I’m thankful for you blog Garth. I read it every day, and it reminds me to focus on buying myself freedom, not stuff.

#147 maxx on 10.11.14 at 9:19 am

“The real purpose of life is to enjoy your limited time. You cannot mortgage one moment.”

The only success that matters.

Happy Thanksgiving Garth and blog dawgs!

#148 Linda Pearson on 10.11.14 at 9:35 am

#25 Daisy Mae on 10.10.14 at 7:14 pm

And I was missing “Live Within Your Means” and, lo and behold, here she is this morning. To LWYM, I hope your health has improved and that all is well in your world.

I’ve also missed, for a long time now, “Bill, No Longer in Muskoka”. His pithy, though grumpy, comments added much to this blog.

#149 Daisy Mae on 10.11.14 at 9:35 am

#48 nonplussed: “Every now and then I try to think what it might be like to live in Syria or Iraq and conclude pretty quickly that I’m sure glad I live here.”

*****************

My thoughts exactly…

#150 Mic on 10.11.14 at 9:37 am

Bottoms_Up @ #102
Thank you for responding to my post. :-) I agree with you re: Ottawa real estate market and that Garth does not mention it much but the principles are the same regardless of location – too much house. Asking prices where I want to buy have decreased by 20-25% this year. However, they are still ridiculously overpriced. Until I can start paying myself a $300k salary, I am not buying a $900k house. So I am happily renting. :-)

Vivid Dreams @ #53
Paleo Girl @ #92
tomavitch @ #113
Since health and finances are so integrated, I would like to say …I too regained my health through the Paleo diet. A few years after returning to school to get a professional doctorate, I was a neurological/cognitive/digestive mess and had to quit practicing. I was in my early 40s. It took two and a half years to get 99% back to normal with daily improvements along the way. Basic foods (aka fridge full, cupboards empty) Paleo diet – it may be worth giving it a shot.

Best wishes to all.

#151 David Hawke on 10.11.14 at 10:19 am

I am thankful that I had the forsight to get out of Canada to the tropics where one can live a good life without all the hassles!

#152 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.11.14 at 10:19 am

@#140 Live within…
When I was in my 20’s I think I had heard of Crohn’s once.
Now?
I have 3 friends diagnosed with Crohns disease. 2 are on extremely expensive medication that is essentially keeping them alive. 5 grand every 3 months, paid for by the health authority(taxpayers)
Their diets before and after the diagnosis?
Greasey hamburgers, salty frenchfries, pizza, potato chips, essentially fatty garbage and fried food.
I think a green salad would kill them at this point if they’d even consider eating one…
Oh and did I mention all 3 smoke and drink excessively?
One of them just had 10 feet of lower intestine removed and is now on a permanent colostomy bag.
At the ripe old age of 45.
Still doesnt “get” it.
So, while I can still enjoy a big turkey dinner with all the trimmins’ they will peck and poke at their meals, wash it all down with copious amounts of vino and then hurry outside for another smoke………

I give thanks to still being healthy and being able to read this excellent blog ….
Cheers to all this weekend.
Drive safe.

#153 Greg on 10.11.14 at 10:19 am

Hi Garth,

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a nice thanksgiving weekend!

Speaking of turkeys, some may enjoy this:

‘Why did the turkey cross the road?’

‘To prove to his friends he wasn’t a chicken.’

#154 High Plains Drifter on 10.11.14 at 11:14 am

Being of or at least resident in, lovely Toronto, you Mr. G. Turner, must add at least a couple of thousand to the price of each and every house in that noblest of Canadian cities. Do us a favour and swap me out and help the western oil producing provinces at the same time. I, in turn will be sure to knock off a few thousand by my habituation of glorious Toronto.

#155 TurnerNation on 10.11.14 at 11:37 am

For many on Thanksgiving the gourd is their shepherd.

I’ll be driving up to visit my Father’s grave today. I was 16, he’d reached the end of his rope.
To this day I work on my physical and mental health daily. The last taboo for men. My work is easy.

#156 debido on 10.11.14 at 11:39 am

Amen! Thanks.

#157 Paul on 10.11.14 at 11:45 am

They have a tale to tell
While other folks go hungry
We’re eating pretty well
With home, & health & happiness
We shouldn’t want to fuss
For by this stack of evidence
God’s been very good to us.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FAMILY & FRIENDS …BLESS ALL OF YOU & TAKE A MINUTE TO COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND ….

We Can Whine another day

#158 saskatoon on 10.11.14 at 11:53 am

#140 live within your means

best solution: get rid of the condition.

she probably has candida (yeast/fungal infection)…ripped holes in her gut lining…making it difficult to digest.

give it a shot–eliminate the fungus naturally.

#159 Silent the people on 10.11.14 at 11:58 am

Thank you Garth for your site! Enjoy Thanksgiving and
think about running for office in 2015. You would be a great help to our country!

#160 NEVER GIVE UP on 10.11.14 at 12:48 pm

Today we live much better than Caesar did. We have recorded music, untold media, phones, longer lives, way better health care.
In Canada we are blessed to be living at the highest levels humanity has so far attained.
Some of us better than others but even the poorest of us live reasonably comfortable lives with streets paved in previously unseen wealth with government safety nets etc.
Sadly the only ones who are Truly impoverished are the mentally ill.

#161 Millenial on 10.11.14 at 12:55 pm

Hey Garth,
We need more alternative media sources like your blog in this country. A lot of people think they’re informed if they read a newspaper (pick G & M, The Star, National Post) and watch a 30 minute news broadcast (CBC News, CTV, Global) every day. To get a deeper understanding of what’s going on you need to do a little leg work, go outside the mainstream, and use your head. I don’t agree with everything you say, but to me your experiences/values/principles/reporting are just as valid as any other media outlet, and help me to form my overall opinions on large issues. Keep up the good work, and never be afraid (I know you’re not) to highlight individuals/corporations in our community who profit by misleading/exploiting others. It’s not bullying if your criticisms are factually based, which they always are.

#162 MJ on 10.11.14 at 1:16 pm

Beautiful post, Garth! Happy Thanksgiving to you and I am grateful for having something worthwhile each morning to read about. Thank you for keeping us consciously aware of the perspectives and the constant reminders of what is right.

#163 Smoking Man on 10.11.14 at 1:52 pm

Santana at Seneca Tonight. Been sicker than a dog for the last few days. JD and raw garlic is my meds.

Then some amazing posts tonight , hopefully this love in, thanks thing is over by 9pm tonight.

#164 sentry on 10.11.14 at 1:55 pm

Thankyou Garth for pulling back the curtain on a few situations.We don’t really know,until the light is allowed to reveal some pretty despicable practices.Harper’s back room deal with China is beyond belief……but having been fortunate to have seen the rest of the world,yes indeed Canada is the preferred passport to hold.Happy Thanksgiving to all.

#165 old gringo on 10.11.14 at 4:08 pm

#150 David Hawke on 10.11.14 at 10:19 am

Amen to that!
Life is very very good.
Reits/fibra’s down here are awesome.

#166 live within your means on 10.11.14 at 5:20 pm

#147 Linda Pearson on 10.11.14 at 9:35 am
#25 Daisy Mae on 10.10.14 at 7:14 pm

……………….

I’m still kicking but stenosis of the spine prevents me from doing the things I love. Hoping to get in for a nerve block. We’re planning a month’s vac again in France next year & hope I won’t be too much in pain.

#167 OttawaMike on 10.11.14 at 5:22 pm

Erin Bury got a new hair do.
That is all.

#168 Smoking Man on 10.11.14 at 5:29 pm

#164 old gringo on 10.11.14 at 4:08 pm#150 David Hawke on 10.11.14 at 10:19 am

Amen to that!

Life is very very good.
Reits/fibra’s down here are awesome.
……..

Daisy Mae, I believe old man just RE entered this building, he’s a Mexican gringo with a hotty on his arm..

#169 live within your means on 10.11.14 at 5:33 pm

#151 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.11.14 at 10:19 am

I have a very old friend whose hubby got chrons disease in his early 20’s. He was slim then, drank very litte, but had to have part of his intestine removed. His wife made sure he followed a strict diet. They popped by a few years ago. The other week she called me. I was just thinking about her a day or 2 before. They live in Ottawa & I worked with her eons ago. Due to his age, he would not be considered for the treatment.

#170 Smoking Man on 10.11.14 at 5:45 pm

Three wines deep, what cold I’m thinking. Few hours before the concert better get this out before I can no longer type in a organized way..

But the problem most of you bastards have is you take life too seriously. You don’t know how to have fun.

Tomorrow you will sit at the dinner, tell lies to each other, brag about your achievements, and embellish your children’s accomplishments.

Well it’s just me, my kids, my dig, the wife and her retarted sister,her kuds and her retarted pug. The normal ones in the family banished us.. Mostly due to my insane, drinking heart felt truths pumped out on the Facebook.

I blame it on greater fool, I’ve turned into smoking man.

What a good damn feeling of freedom..

I’m very happy the way it all turned out..

For a truly

#171 Smoking Man on 10.11.14 at 5:56 pm

Continued.

For a truly memorable thanks giving dinner…

Get looped and tell the family members what you realy think of them.. If you love them, tell them, you hate hate them, get em to pull your finger while you squeeze you ass cheeks together for an amplified effect after dinner.

The trick my little grasshoppers. Don’t let anything build. Don’t let em get away with it.. Shock them, they might die and you missed your chance for verbal vengeance.

#172 Rural Rick on 10.11.14 at 6:24 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Garth to you and yours. Thank you for all your wisdom through the years. It certainly changed my life in a positive way. To all of the blog dogs thanks for your contributions have a great holiday all. Frost tonight cuddle up.

#173 Smoking Man on 10.11.14 at 6:31 pm

Don’t know if it’s my high fever, the fourth glass movemente, or 30 something blond at that keeps smiling at me that’s making my knees weak..

Going to the room for a cold shower and some extra strength Tylenol, might even dip into the three’s.

Arthritis is bad, only have about 10 degrees of movement in my neck… I did smuggle some smokey pain killer across the border..

One thing to note… The delete button is close.

Damn I hurt… It should be legal, it realy works…

#174 What about CMHC? on 10.11.14 at 6:52 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a good job, loving wife, teen-age kids who listen, house, cars, iphones, ipad, macbooks, laptops, desktop, high speed internet. No television, no cable – who needs them when I have entertainment from this blog!

“Jazak Allahu Khayran, Garth”: “Garth, May Allāh reward you with goodness.”

I have been reading your blog since the spring of 2008.

#175 Nemesis on 10.11.14 at 6:55 pm

#SmokingManPresidesOverThanksGivingDinner…

#176 Steve french on 10.11.14 at 7:53 pm

Words of wisdom from smokie there folks.

I’m really gonna take them to hart.

#177 Steve french on 10.11.14 at 7:56 pm

I have a question.

What if something, lord forbid, were to happen to our resident idiot savant smoking man ?

How would us blod gogs know ?

Who would tell us sinners on the greater fool?

His retarded sister in law ?

#178 raisemyrent on 10.11.14 at 8:00 pm

I’m a bit late on this, but Garth, just wanted to say thanks back! You have the right combination of smarts, wit, and knowledge to get the message through to HELP people. You can’t get juice out of a rock, but for some of us, it has truly made a difference, and we can be eternally grateful to you for it.
All the best this weekend to you and the entire blog lot.

Off to make a pumpkin pie (read: stand and drink in the kitchen)…

#179 DM in C on 10.11.14 at 8:36 pm

I am thankful for my healthy family, my job (which just sent me to Disney World for a conference for a week – that place just prints money, wow), my country, my friends and basically for all of our good fortune.

I am thankful there are blogs like this that tell it like it is, with the least amount of spin (we’re all biased, we can’t help it). Thank you Garth.

I hope everyone has a safe and thoughtful Thanksgiving.

#180 Smoking Man on 10.11.14 at 8:37 pm

#176 Steve french on 10.11.14 at 7:56 pmI have a question.

How would us blod gogs know ?

Who would tell us sinners on the greater fool?

His retarded sister in law ?

I’m a Nectonite, we live for ever, don’t sweat it..

I’m from another planet, it’s in my book, need to stop tourchering you humans, I did Mh370, it’s in the book.

#181 Victor V on 10.11.14 at 8:43 pm

I’ve read every single blog post of yours since day one – thank you for taking the time to educate and entertain us.

Best to you and yours this Thanksgiving weekend.

#182 SWL1976 on 10.11.14 at 8:47 pm

Thanks Garth for keepin on, keepin on with writing this blog and moderating the comments section that allows us all give our 2 cents, for what they are worth.

This site is an excellent daily visit and provides excellent information on the good, the bad, and the frugly happening in the world today

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

#183 45north on 10.11.14 at 9:38 pm

happy Thanksgiving to Garth and to all!

including Vanecdotal

Retired Boomer – guys from the dojo are going to Waukesha next week

Bill Gable

Andrew Woburn (Andrewski?)

Smoking Man

Canadian Watchdog -where are you?

Daisy Mae

Cici

Happy Renting

oh yeah Victoria Real Estate Update and Cat Food Lady

and T.O. Bubble Boy and Mark and Tony – no hard feelings Tony!

#184 Entrepreneur on 10.11.14 at 10:53 pm

Thanks to Garth Turner and his intelligent blog. Thanks to all the bloggers.

We do live in a beautiful place; think we can keep it that way? The power of prayer (do not need to believe in God or go to Church) helps to cope with life. Before eating say ” Thank you for the food we eat.”

#185 Mr Thankful on 10.11.14 at 10:55 pm

I’m thankful to have just woken up in my Bangkok hi-rise condo with a beautiful woman of my own culture half my age.

I am thankful for having had the smarts to put aside years of cash and can watch the market gyrate to it’s hearts content without having to worry. Dividend income means never running out of cash.

I’m thankful that stocks have all gone on sale and yields have gone up to increase my income while stock prices are down so that I get to buy more stocks while they’re on sale. As an analyst said on BNN ‘we can use this opportunity to add quality to the portfolio’. Can’t agree more. Selling into a down market means you’ve been very stupid.

I’m glad I own only dividend paying stocks in companies that will never go away because we have to use their services every day…until the liberals get their way and move us all into communal toilets.

I don’t consider my house as having any value or significance to my long term financial plan…..because I’m always going to need a place to live…will never borrow…and enjoy having zero monthly payments for anything.

I’m thankful for my excellent health and that of my family. I see more people ‘I used to know’ dying early from self induced illness, disease and stress. I swim hours every day, limit my sun exposure, don’t drink or smoke….or eat anything to excess….and vote Conservative.

Being thankful is what you can do for yourself. Failure to plan is planning to fail. Get yourself a personal ‘life plan’…or be stuck dealing with the dark side of everything that comes along. Having a bullet proof plan, one where nothing can bring you down short of a supernova…..is something to be thankful for.

#186 millenial1982 on 10.11.14 at 11:12 pm

Thanks for pumping out the informative and entertaining information day after day in terminator fasion. No BS attached and told like it is to the masses. The way it should be. Happy Thanksgiving Garth.

#187 Fortune500 on 10.12.14 at 1:11 am

Thank you for providing honest, balanced financial advice on an almost daily basis. You are a necessary counter-balance to today’s paid-for MSM. This Gen Y couple owes you a great deal.

#188 bill on 10.12.14 at 1:12 am

Thanks Garth for all your efforts to enlighten us.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Take it easy !

#189 Goldie on 10.12.14 at 3:28 am

I can’t believe I’m saying it but you guys deserve thanks too (with the exception of a few).

All it takes is reading comments on YouTube or a site like CNN to see just what a cesspit most comments sections are.

#190 Victor V on 10.12.14 at 10:53 am

Ex-LiUNA construction workers shocked to lose half at pension cash-out

Tony Cordeiro earned a pension worth more than $221,000 during a 25-year career digging tunnels and sewers beneath Toronto as a member of the country’s largest construction union .

But Cordeiro and his family won’t get even half of that.

When concerns among his colleagues started spreading in recent months about the pension fund run by the Laborers’ International Union of North America (LiUNA), the 47-year-old construction worker inquired in May about cashing out before reaching retirement age.

To his shock, Cordeiro found out he was eligible to receive only 47 per cent of his earned pension — $104,000 — if he pulled the money out early.

“I need an explanation of where the rest of that money has gone,” he said. “You work all your life. You can’t get those years back. It’s picking the pocket of the poor worker. What am I going to do?”

#191 Nemesis on 10.12.14 at 10:54 am

#SundaySilliness… #FunnyOldWorld… #Or,”IsThatALeechUpYourNose?” #&,”IfYouCanCatchThem,They’reYours!”

[UK Telegraph] – Backpacker had 3-inch-long leech living up her nose: Doctors spent half an hour removing the leech which backpacker says was “as long as my forefinger and as fat as my thumb”

“It’s interesting that people don’t feel these leeches go up their nose.”

[FT] – Buy one, get free chickens – Chinese developers resort to gimmicks

…”Facing an increasingly dire situation, many developers across the country have resorted to gimmicks and publicity stunts to attract buyers.

In the relatively poor southern city of Nanning last weekend, one developer offered prospective customers 1,000 free live chickens at the opening of its latest real estate project, with a promise that “if you can catch them they’re yours”.

More than 1,000 city residents turned up for the launch and mayhem ensued when the developer let the chickens loose and eager locals scrambled to grab as many as possible.”…

[NoteToGT: Strictly between the two of us, it was only just this morning that I truly grasped the sheer, diabolical genius of Mayor Robertson’s infiltration of TrojanChickens into Vancouver’s civic discourse: http://www.straight.com/blogra/346276/pluck-them-vancouvers-urban-chickens-are-settling-just-fine ]

#192 Peter on 10.12.14 at 11:04 am

Thanks to You Garth, for your musings and humour.
Much useful information
Many a smile, and, sometimes a good laugh.

#193 Daisy Mae on 10.12.14 at 11:12 am

#188 Goldie: “Garth moderates of course but still, you people are generally head and shoulders above the average crowd.”

******************

Well, that’s a wonderful complement to Garth and the high standards he expects!

#194 Joe2.0 on 10.12.14 at 12:18 pm

Next up carriage houses.
Gotta keep the dream alive.

#195 elrowe on 10.12.14 at 12:26 pm

Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here from Garth to the blogdogs, even the doomers and trolls.

So much to be thankful for, including my health and my balanced and diversified portfolio. I’ve been living off my investments the past few months, and have earned more on them than I withdrew (not looking at the last week or so yet). Thanks Garth for helping to educate Canadians re personal finance. It’s been invaluable to me, and I sincerely thank you for helping me achieve and maintain a measure of security and peace of mind in this volatile world.

It’s a beautiful day out there, and we’re going to share a delicious turkey dinner with wonderful friends today.

May you all have a wonderful holiday weekend.

#196 Mike T. on 10.12.14 at 12:57 pm

I am most thankful for all those out there who remind me daily what I am not.

You know who you are….

#197 Mike T. on 10.12.14 at 1:52 pm

I am also thankful for the three following bits of advice:

1 – successful people do what un-successful people don’t do

2 – the person with the most information usually wins the negotiation

3 – if you have been diagnosed with a “disorder”, that is society’s way to deny its own illness by pointing the finger at you

The Walking Dead starts 2nite……are you part of the zombie apocalypse?

#198 Mike T. on 10.12.14 at 2:24 pm

For Blacksheep

I was thinking about the message I posted for you about how others don’t ‘get it’ in the way I think we do….low and behold….synchronicities.

This is not new, and I would also just add I am not a member of the group that made this video and I am not advocating becoming a member. But I really like what this says:

the Wayseer manifesto

this is also for everyone – happy tur-duck-en day

oh my have we lost our way

#199 Tony on 10.12.14 at 2:25 pm

Re: #185 Mr Thankful on 10.11.14 at 10:55 pm

You just don’t get it. The odds and the under/over are a stock market decline of 70 percent. Stocks will not come back at all because the stock markets around the world are about 400 percent overvalued and 400 percent overpriced. Your dividends will be cut at least 50 percent when the market falls. If the market falls back to the long term trend line that would be a decline of around 75 to 80 percent.

Sure. — Garth

#200 prairie person on 10.12.14 at 3:17 pm

the blog dogs have talked about this in the past. as usual, they are out in front of the media.

#201 The Pursuit of Happiness on 10.12.14 at 3:31 pm

I am on the pursuit of happiness.

So is Lissie

Here is what I think is a very good cover

I apologize if you have to deal with ads to see this – not my creation

#202 Bill Gable on 10.12.14 at 3:34 pm

“Qiqi Hong walks past her sleek, blue-tiled hot tub and an infinity pool that seems to disappear like a waterfall into the chilly air above West Vancouver. She leans on the patio railing and breathes in the majestic ocean view that takes in the towering Douglas firs of Stanley Park, the skyscrapers of Vancouver, the Asia-bound freighters anchored in English Bay and – way off in the misty distance – the faint, rugged outline of Gabriola Island.

“We’re in heaven,” says Ms. Hong. “I can’t find any house that can compare to my house.”

The serene West Coast lifestyle did not come cheaply: Ms. Hong’s home cost $6-million. But it is an investment she can easily afford. The irrepressible businesswoman founded a successful lighting-design business in Beijing that thrived in China’s building boom. It now has more than 100 employees. But tired of Beijing’s hectic pace and foul air, she decided to come to Vancouver – after looking in Switzerland, Germany and the United States – on the Canadian government’s immigrant investor program in 2011. She now also owns three other houses on Vancouver’s west side, each valued in excess of $1.3-million, as well as a downtown condo she uses on weekends and lends to visiting friends.”

**My question is and always has been – HOW do Mainland Chinese, who are allowed no more than 50,000 RMB taken out of China at once, buy up all our Properties?

Something stinks.

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/knrbtwc

#203 Retired Boomer - WI on 10.12.14 at 3:46 pm

#199 Tony

I’m not sure what you’re smoking there, buy I just checked the stock prices of some dividend paying stocks I would like to buy “on weakness” to add to my portfolio.

Costco, and Coke, and Pepsi, and Bristol Myers and they are as high as they have been recently. So much for any 5% pullback to everybody, and it sure as heck does NOT show me that “stocks are overvalued by 40%.”

They MAY come down in price later, after all they aren’t near their 12 month lows, but nothing says they will either.

Consider the old Henry Ford quote:
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t – you’re right.”

Think about how you ‘see’ things.

#204 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.12.14 at 4:22 pm

@#190 Victor V

Its a shame Tony wasnt a govt employee.
Their pensions are guaranteed.
And inflation indexed.
And subsidized.
Unaffordable.
Goldplated.
Rewards.

Haiku over

#205 old gringo on 10.12.14 at 4:25 pm

Just a winger for those of you that have ever thought of just what $349k asking gets you south of the border.

#206 Victoria Boy on 10.12.14 at 4:39 pm

Garth. I’ve been reading your pathetic blog since 20 comments was a good day. In that time you gave me the confidence to self direct and live by the rule of 90. I finally feel like I’m truly on my way (after several false starts). I can’t thank you enough for breaking down the complex and making it simple. I sleep much better at night now. Thank you.

#207 Keen Reader on 10.12.14 at 9:35 pm

A bit late but I need to join in and express my heartfelt thanks to you Garth for your great work. Your books and blogs have helped me become much more knowledgeable and confident in managing my finances. I really enjoy your wit and precious advice, which keep me coming back to this blog. Thanks also to the various blogdogs who genuinely try to make positive contributions with their comments. Cheers!!

#208 crowdedelevatorfartz on 10.13.14 at 11:42 am

@205 old gring0
You want someone to plunk down $350k US on a house in central Mexico? That bastion of civil rights and drug wars where dump truck loads of corpses are left on the highway to “send a message” to the locals.
Sorry. I’d rather invest the money and rent the same place for a month.

As for the photos of the interior, Ugh.
It reminds me of “Tony Montana meets the Brady Bunch”