Don’t read this

Janet and Garth

Janet & me.

Most of you, hopefully, will not read this post. So, stop now. It’s a waste of your time. Utterly. I’m actually wasting my time writing it. Come back tomorrow.

Earlier this week I told you I sent back my Liberal decoder ring, resigned my position as almost-MP candidate in the federal riding in which I live and swore off party politics. My reason was simple, and I stated it truthfully: an unexplained refusal by the federal Libs to allow me to become the candidate by preventing a local nomination meeting sent a clear message. Get lost.

I presumed this was because of my policy views, at odds with the leader over things like the HST and the need to be honest about rising taxes and falling spending. I knew this would end in a mess, or an embarrassment, and probably both. So, I walked.

Flash back six months. The local Lib association struck a search committee to find candidates, and called me. Would I stand? Eventually I said I would, after half the association pledged support. The other half was in the camp of an opponent, Jeff May, the association president. One other retired guy, Bill Prout, was also making noises about running.

My team started meeting, planning, organizing and fanned out to sell the memberships necessary to win a vote. I filed papers with the party, and was approved.

Weeks later, in a teary statement May announced he was withdrawing. With just me left standing, and an election looming, the association asked for a nomination date to be granted asap in a unanimous vote. The central party official in attendance said he saw no problem.

But there was. And two months later, still no meeting and no official candidate status, which made it impossible to either campaign or effectively raise funds in an unwinnable Conservative bastion . Meanwhile since I was the only nominee, there was no further need to rope new people into memberships for a vote which would not occur.

In the meantime the half of the association that wanted the other guy, now headed by a quixotic and combative octogenarian romance author named Janet Rosenstock, didn’t give in. She dissed me in the local media. Minutes of association meetings with anti-Garth bits were leaked. I was not allowed to speak at meetings. But, more importantly, Michael Ignatieff suddenly stopped talking to me, party officials did not respond to my queries, Janet made noises about her party insider influence and even a bull-headed insensitive dick like me could smell the wind.

So, I walked. And I was careful not to criticize anyone in my community, to mention any of the above, or even this. Another mistake.

Janet and Jeff went on a media campaign, feeding material to Conservative bloggers who build traffic on my name, firing off emails to CTV and ensuring outlets like the National Post were told the ‘real’ reason Garth quit. Well, actually there were several ‘reasons’. There was a new contender I was running scared from. And my team hadn’t sold enough new memberships. Therefore I was a failure who had cut and run.

Of course, I am a failure. No news there. I failed to persuade the Liberal leader I’m worth the trouble of having around.

In any case, the Janet stuff was all news to me when it was thrown in my face, live, by Harper-centric media like CTV’s Tom Clark. Nobody had told me about any other candidate and the party had said months earlier memberships were not an issue. In any case, she freelanced about the rules, but her words were uncritically repeated by those who like iconoclasm. And after months of silence, the party issued a statement which also apparently rewrote its own guidelines in a burst of convenience. Obviously no friends there.

Are you bored yet?

So last night there was a high-octane meeting of local Libs the centrepiece of which was a motion to throw Janet out for her sins. Not sure how that went. The feisty old gal probably decked them all. And that Bill guy looks like he’ll be the candidate. I hear he signed up 15 people and some livestock.

In any case, this messy little one-riding dustup does contain some larger truths.

• If federal political parties truly want to be democratic and representative, then they should start now.
  • The occasional plain-speaking pain-in-the-ass MP candidate shouldn’t be a national threat.
  • People who lose nomination contests should not start a jihad.
  • Leaders should act like them. All voices are worth hearing. Won’t kill ya.

As I sat in the kitchen of the bunker this morning, staring out over the trip wire, thinking about this week, I said to Dorothy:

“I used to blame people for not voting anymore because they were selfish, disengaged and irresponsible. But look at how we choose the people they have to vote for.

“I think voters have got it about right.”

#1 ottawa pete on 10.15.09 at 9:43 pm

Start your own party.

#2 Onemorething on 10.15.09 at 9:53 pm

Garth, you dont belong in Politics unless you wish to run independant!

As for the voting public, I have said this for years, people know it’s a useless effort however this is a great time to shift the mindset.

I dont recommend you run as an independant however I do believe that a democratic governement appointment should have some min requirements such as how many of the approved population voted.

Hey it takes at least a 50% attended AGM at my rugby club to vote something or someone in!

And for Janet above, give her a little bit of a break, it’s all she has, and a shot of Wild Turkey before each meeting!

#3 Ernie on 10.15.09 at 10:00 pm

I hear ya Garth, I just got canned for speaking my mine at my job. So the question begs, what are we to do? Can we rally some tea parties of the North? Help us Garth.

#4 Kanata Squirrel on 10.15.09 at 10:05 pm

Seems like Iggy and his team are bigger failures than you are …. why would you want to be part of them anyways

How I miss the PC party ….

Garth, do you have talk with Denis Coderre?

#5 Santa on 10.15.09 at 10:11 pm

Wow! And I thought politics is disgusting from outside.

#6 Nostradamus jr. on 10.15.09 at 10:11 pm

Nearly 500 years ago I predicted Garth Turner would become the first Prime Minister of Eastern Canada by leading the Eastern Canadian Party to victory in 2015.

…Western Canada had seceded in 2012 btw.

Western Canada’s Capital Hongcouver will soon be considered the World’s Capital in Finance, Trade, Culture and Leisure.

…East Hastings will become the largest West Coast Chinatown w/ the 5000 ex residents moved to, rehabed and trained to run a giant Western Canadian Govt Grow Op.

North Vancouver will also become the home of Nostradamus jr. Museum, with its feature display being the “Writings of Nostradamus jr.”

#7 Jennifer Smith on 10.15.09 at 10:13 pm

“In any case, she freelanced about the rules”

That’s one word for it. But even if she misunderstood or was intentionally misled, the rules are very clear, and the ‘Membership Threshold’ number she has apparently been repeating since July is simply wrong. Wrong by 43 members.

The fact that no one in the media bothered to do even this most basic fact check is disturbing enough. But the idea that this ‘mistake’ may have originated with, and is now being perpetuated by, Party officials with LPCO is downright paranoia-inducing.

#8 Jennifer Smith on 10.15.09 at 10:15 pm

BTW, if the latest polls number hold through the next election, a single Independent candidate could conceivably hold the balance of power in the next Parliament.

Something to think about.

#9 Cash is King on 10.15.09 at 10:17 pm

This is the reason why I purposely spoiled my ballot in the last two elections.

A party on life support would rather run a no-name candidate in a difficult to win riding becuase it is the safe thing to do, rather than chancing rocking the internal boat by nominating a controversial canadate and attempt to win the riding. Why challenge the incumbent PC.

Oh wait! Not wanting to challenge the incumbent PC’s. Sounds’ like that is Iggy’s mantra.

#10 James on 10.15.09 at 10:20 pm

Its because of all of this that I am going to vote NDP in the next election. Have you considered running as an NDP or independent?

#11 FrankInVictoria on 10.15.09 at 10:26 pm

It’s disappointing the political parties only pay lip service to actually letting their MPs represent their constituents and actually speak their mind. So much for a democratic process when at the grassroots people can’t even decide on their local nominee without undue influence.

About something related to Real Estate that plays out monthly…

CREA released their usual monthly propaganda today, in part saying “residential average price rose 11%”, and as usual CBC obliged and reprinted their BS.

The actual CREA news release is aplenty with weasel words. Weasel words be damned, the “best” part of their propaganda got picked out and reprinted by CBC with some of the statistical and embedded legal nuances omitted. http://creanews.ca/

The same CBC who only this last Tuesday had a story about Statistics Canada price increase for new home of just 0.1% for the similar period with significant decreases in some markets.

You’d think they would have been able to correlate these two stories from their own news organization and question the CREA propaganda but no they didn’t.

It’s no wonder with the mainstream media failing us like this that many chose not to believe that there is a cliff just ahead. The unreasonably low interest rates have only delayed the inevitable correction needed in many market; where I live especially. When the price are climbing you can always hope for a greater fool but when the prices stop climbing the price you pay actually does matter and it had better be a sensible price; the price are anything but sensible in this town.

I don’t like renting because I like doing home improvements and making a house into a more cozier home. I read this blog and resist the urge. My partner come home all exited one night and tells me one of her friends just bought a house, I literally said that I felt sorry for them; that didn’t go over well. My own plans are to wait 1-3 years for a 20%-35% fire sale in this town and go buy myself and older house.

An older house because the next surprise will be the “discovery” of the broad based sub-par construction that inevitably took place during this unsustainable housing rush of the last 10 years in Victoria. All that lower quality construction is going to further sink prices at some point. Wait and see when all the new home warranties start to wear out and people are reminded that a house is a place to live and not a particularly good investment after taxes and maintenance.

If they last that long today’s buyers of new homes will be sorry when the roof starts leaking, the mortgage rates are 8%, the value of the house has fallen and they owe more than it’s worth then they are going to hate that granite countertop and cheap appliances in a stainless package. They will wish they opted for good construction of the house structure and an honest price. Things are so backward right now with what the buyers demand and are willing to pay for it… only the flashy finishing and forever rising prices are all they seem to see.

I could not agree more: this is not going to end well.

#12 $fromA$ia "Garths Nugget Boy" on 10.15.09 at 10:37 pm

Garth, I am really sorry that you talk the truth and get $hit on for it.

Ignatieve does not want to have a doom and gloomer running in his campaign.

Sadly, all the party leaders are comming accross as imputant. I have switched from watching UFC to watching the parlaiment channel.

It’s really entertaining watching all the whiners and brow beaters.

I am 35 and have never voted. I am proud to be a Canadian, I am not proud of our politics or polititions. Actually I was seriously considering on voting in this comming election!!!

Flaherty, has to pay for this housing boom. Polititions are so disconnected from the Canadian nominal family income of $60,000.

A warning for home lovers laiden with zero down and 35 year ammortization. YOU CAN BLAME FLAHERTY AND THE CONSERVATIVES FOR THE MELT DOWN AWAITING :P

Garth, run for what ever party you want. You’ve proven to us that you are who you are inside and nothings gonna change that.

#13 Increasing that 1% on 10.15.09 at 10:44 pm

…I can’t believe all the bull involved in the process….

#14 Burls on 10.15.09 at 11:02 pm

Garth:
Are you familiar with the whole Chuck Cadman fiasco?

Boy, did it turn around to bite the Conservatives in the arse when he took the riding away from the Conservatives as an Independent.

If you do run again, I think it has to be as an Indy.

#15 alberta ed on 10.15.09 at 11:17 pm

After 39 years in Canada, voting in every municipal/provincial/federal election since I became a citizen, I can’t decide which federal party to vote against this time around. I might just have to stay home when the writ is dropped, maybe polish the Harley or do something else useful.

#16 InvestorsFriend on 10.15.09 at 11:19 pm

Garth said:

“I think voters have got it about right.”

Yeah, when I was young I could not understand people who did not bother to vote.

These days I agree with them, it’s mostly a waste of time.

Mathematically the chance that my vote alone will make a difference is at least 10,000 to one.

Federal elections are won by “brand” conservative or liberal. The actual local candidate often does not matter much and few people can be bothered to read about him/her. (With rare exceptions like Garth)

Once in, your guy will be whipped to vote by party line.

As my dad used to say, does not seem to matter who you vote for, “the government” always seems to get in.

The beurocracy of the country is intrenched and even a PM may not be able to change much.

I still vote, but it’s really a waste of time

As for independent. FORGET ABOUT IT.
That’s like selling no-name donuts across from Tim Hortons. It don’t work.

Next provincial vote in Alberta I will vote Wild Rose. Federal, I’m not sure i care, I don’t like any of the choices.

People say everyone should vote. Well if you don’t care and don’t know the issues why vote?

Some say force’em to vote.

Yeah in order to protect our freedom and democracy let’s force people to vote!!!

Meanwhile, watch out for energetic octegenarians…

#17 Aizlynne on 10.15.09 at 11:22 pm

Enough with the frickin parties ….. if Garth’s story doesn’t tell you how important your views are as a constituent to them then nothing ever will… so all of you who like parties can vote … people like me who hate parties for the very reasons Garth talks about don’t vote and now Garth knows why!

#18 average joe on 10.15.09 at 11:23 pm

The old addage is still true- We get the goverment we deserve.
Mr. Turner you do greater good outside of politics than inside of it. How could you really work for Iggy, as he is so obviously grasping at straws to lead a gov’t when the great majority want Conservatives?
When Concervatives are increasing the deficit at exponential rates, what does the average Canadian think the Liberals will do?
That party should go against the grain for you and your financial advice.
Libs are spenders, who throw money at anything. Cons are angry old men who listened to their mothers about staying out of debt and living within your means.
I’m voting Con. and will be for a while until the real recession is over at least.
I count on you for saying what you mean.

#19 Bogdan on 10.15.09 at 11:30 pm

Damn she’s hot!

#20 Grumpydawgs on 10.15.09 at 11:36 pm

And the pundits are asking why the federal Libs are diving in the polls? Iffy Ignatieff is toast and the Libs know it. Na na na na na na na hey hey hey good bye, and good riddance may I add.

#21 hal smith on 10.15.09 at 11:37 pm

People don’t vote because it is a waste of time and there is no democracy anyhow. Politicians lie and promise things during the campaign and then do what they please afterwards, break their promises, and lie some more till the next election. And they get away with it too, we have no recourse except to not vote for them again 4 years later if anyone remembers.Our MP’s do not represent their constituents in Ottawa, they represent the PM in their ridings. The PM has almost absolute power.If you can win an election and run the country with 39% of the vote, that is not much of a democracy. What we need is a real representative democracy with accountability and then people might get out and vote.

#22 nonplused on 10.15.09 at 11:40 pm

Nothing surprising here. Politics has degenerated into a 3 ring circus designed to distract the population whilst the bankers make all the really important decisions through their lobby money. Not as big of a deal here as state side but we more or less follow their lead on many things with a Canadian twist.

I think that’s why Obama was so popular amongst young voters state side (and here too!). He promised to change all that. Of course, it doesn’t look to be working out all that well….

Myself I am an economic conservative and libertarian, so I’m always choosing what I see as the lesser of two evils. I miss the rhino party. Too bad you can’t vote “none of the above” and have the seat empty if there aren’t any good candidates. Other than the fact the budget needs to be passed, it might be nice to have 4 years of no meddling with new laws.

The problem with our electoral system is that somebody has to win. And another problem is of course that any decent candidate (Garth, you would qualify) with the experience and talent to make a real difference already has a perfectly good career doing something else that doesn’t require their reputation be ruined, their morals compromised, and their opinion suppressed. So instead you get a bunch of corporate lawyers with a specific agenda and nice cushy board seats waiting for them once they’ve earned the pension. Oh wait, that was the old Conservatives and Liberals.

Fact is, government spending on programs is on an unsustainable path that will lead to utter financial crises as the boomers age and leave the work force. No one has the will to bring this topic up and address it. And the US experiment of simply inflating the debt away won’t work. Most of the liabilities are forward and haven’t hit the balance sheet yet. So while we might be able to inflate away the relative burden of old debt, it makes the obligations of forward commitments much more expensive and the rate of debt growth accelerates as a result, cancelling out any gains and sending the economy into convulsions.

Some quotes:

“The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.”
– Thomas Sowell

“”In a social democracy with a fiat currency, all roads lead to inflation.”
– Bill Fleckenstien

“At least half of all economic history is concerned with the tragi-comedy of governments getting into debt by extravagance and trying to get out by fraud. The other half is concerned with individuals attempting to do the same.”
– Tilden

“There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose.”
– John Maynard Keynes

“Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce…”
– President James A. Garfield

“In effect, there is nothing inherently wrong with fiat money, provided we get perfect authority and god-like intelligence for kings.”
– Aristotle

“I place economy among the first and most important of republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared.”
– Thomas Jefferson

“There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought on by credit expansion.”
– Ludwig von Mises

“No warning can save a people determined to grow suddenly rich.”
– Lord Overstone

“There’s nothing the average American now believes….that is true.”
– George Vidal

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
– H. L. Mencken

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
-H. L. Mencken

“Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I am not sure about the universe.”
– Albert Einstein

“In every community there is a class of people profoundly dangerous to the rest. I don’t mean criminals. For them we have punitive sanction. I mean the leaders. Invariably the most dangerous seek power.”
– Saul Bellow

And finally:

“Anything that cannot go on forever, will stop.”
– Herbert Stein

#23 Lance on 10.15.09 at 11:47 pm

“I think voters have got it about right.”

—-
Bingo, Garth. It all stinks and this latest episode just emphasizes everything that is wrong with our political system.

How I long for a system where our MPs truly represent their riding (like intended), not tow the party line. We need politicians with guts and principles, not automatons who quietly go along with whatever the leader wants and wait at the trough for their party loyalty reward.

Sheeple, indeed.

#24 Dan in Victoria on 10.15.09 at 11:51 pm

He realized at last that the arguments of pessimism were powerless to comfort him. JK Huysmans.

#25 Arthur Kurwa on 10.16.09 at 12:26 am

Its so obvious.

The libs love the cons who love the ndp etc. etc. These are all pigs feeding out of the trough. Sure, they want to be first at the trough, no doubt about it. But guys like Ignatieff will stick up for Harper or Mulroney before they stuck up for the working Canadian Joe.

All walk around with a sense of entitlement. There are no more Lincoln’s or Gorby’s in politics. Only Honecker’s, Bush’s and other disgusting pigs.

#26 Kanata Squirrel on 10.16.09 at 12:40 am

This kid is pretty good – you need to watch over 15 short movies and he hits lots of topics we find on this blog + more. Garth – you should check this out.

#27 JoeK on 10.16.09 at 12:44 am

#1 Ottawa Pete has it right… start yr own party if you want it done ‘right’ and honestly.

I think REFORM tried that, only to be ‘perverted’ by the Conservatives and the need to be populists. Those with the best of intentions of reforming Ottawa started the party and then burnt out & left it. 2bad.

If you do get together with like minded induviduals (yes, I’d kick in some ca$h in your direction) and start a ‘movement’, DO NOT COMPROMISE just to get votes. There’s a way to make changes in the system just by being ‘there’ to remind the current leaders.

#28 Future Expatriate on 10.16.09 at 12:48 am

#1 – Wow, what a great idea. A real honest-to-God (pardon the phrase) Moderate Party. Leaning liberal in the areas that really count and make Canada Canada in the first place; and leaning conservative in the areas where you need TRUE irreligious multi-faceted conservative thinking apart from whacko religious cultthink.

You might really have something here Garth. But you’ve got to be prepared for some REAL BIGTIME Opposition.

Upside is, you’ve got a heckuva start.

#29 double mike on 10.16.09 at 12:59 am

#1 ottawa pete

Hear, hear!

#30 freedom_2008 on 10.16.09 at 1:07 am

You got it right Garth, there is no one worth voting for, no one. Good people stay away from politics as it is not a fair game and decency is not appreciated nor required.

We have voted for each election in the past, but have decided to stop now, as there is only worse ones, but nothing good, so again, no one worth voting for, no one.

I am sad for Canada, sigh ….

#31 Gord In Vancouver on 10.16.09 at 1:31 am

______________________________________________

Garth, don’t worry about it.

Your “bad” work is still 10X better than the garbage that some members of the mainstream media spew out.

#32 LB on 10.16.09 at 1:46 am

Of course you are a national threat-via this little blog, which,along with the internet in general, is circumventing current forms of government. It is the begining of tremendous societal change which is allowing us direct access to information and communiction, with the eventual ability to vote directly on issues from our home computers, establishing a political system that is modelled after our jury system. There will be no need for these many politicians, who will be rendered unnecessary and powerless. Downsized. The ultimate threat. So,blog on,Garth – in this more productive, effective and worthwhile role.

#33 BCR on 10.16.09 at 2:19 am

Frankly, I’m not surprised by the sordid political machinations that Garth decribes. What surprises me is that I am still disappointed when I am reminded of the sort of people who seek political office in this fair land, present company excepted of course! People who don’t vote don’t bother because the medium, or the candidate, is the message. Our MPs are grasping, selfish, venal, base and incompetent, incapable of holding ‘real’ jobs. Canadians don’t vote for these carpetbaggers because they have little in commmon with the vile contents of the House of Commons. Garth, you are better off out of it. You don’t need to be friends with Janet to have Wild Turkey for breakfast

#34 WesternGrit on 10.16.09 at 3:11 am

Hey Garth. We’ve met at a seminar you gave in Surrey. Your advice on solar has been a God-send. I’m also an avid reader of your books. You will be a loss for the party. Please reconsider.

From one honest straight-shooter to another.

#35 Robert1 on 10.16.09 at 4:42 am

Disenchanted ? Disengaged ? Hmmmmmmmmm … I believe the word is DISGUSTED !!! Politics in Canada has become ” say one thing in order to get elected and do the opposite once given a mandate”. Harper, Flaherty and their gang have become the masters of deception. Chretien, well, not too much different.

The elitist, arrogant, smugness of Harper, Flaherty, Baird, Ritz, Raitt, Van Loan, MacKay ( need I go any further ) turns my stomach. Their mandate to serve the people of Canada lost in the hinterland of the self-serving Professional Politician.

Honesty ? missing in action
Integrity ? missing in action
Transparency ? missing in action
Accountability ? missing in action

A pox on all their houses …. and yes Mr. Harper ” We Will Get By With A Little Help From Our Friends ” ….. and in your oft spoken words ” let me be perfectly clear ” they sure as hell are not located in Ottawa.

God Bless Canada and best wishes to you Garth

#36 Chris L. on 10.16.09 at 5:44 am

RUN INDEPENDENT. Sorry for yelling…that is all.

#37 David Bakody on 10.16.09 at 6:19 am

“I think voters have got it about right.”

Count me in ….. as many have read here and other places … the writing is on the wall ….evil has surfaced and only when enough people are driven into the ground will they find the courage and rise up against `He who`s name is not to be mentioned`

Back to housing and vacation in Europe …. speaking of which, if I had the chance to do it again (being young) I would ensure I treated my family to places like England, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, the Baltic and beyond …. via back pack washing cloths in bath tubs spending time at the kitchen table and our local library finding ways to do it for less regarless of the time of year …. and yes listening to the ideals and dreams of my children. Have we done some of those yes …. but far too few!

“I think voters have got it about right.”

For all intent and purpose I have made my last political contribution.

Harper and his Reformers can have Canada, Bon Chance Sir, good luck …. but remember, Saddam Hussein had Iraq once. `Live by the sword die by sword`

#38 grandeprairiegirl on 10.16.09 at 6:44 am

We need a new party with Garth at the helm.
Call it the ‘Confederation Party’.

#39 Kash is King on 10.16.09 at 7:51 am

Garth, I feel your pain.

Is it possible that this opinion (in the link) could be the root of all our problems?

***WARNING!! *** If it’s true, reading it will alter your opinion of your “Self” forever.

It may actually be traumatizing.

Please, please, somebody debunk it and prove that it’s wrong? Please!

#40 Freddy boy on 10.16.09 at 8:06 am

Your comments on the economy & RE are bang on in my opinion but…..

Did you honestly think the Libs are any different than the Cons fundamentaly? There’s a lesson there for everyone.

(All) Politicians have 3 priorities….

1. Get elected

2. Get re-elected

3. everything else.

Don’t go down to their level. Politicians will promise anything to get into office & do whatever it takes to stay there. They lack (IMHO) the real fortitude to make difficult changes & the public is (generalizing here…..) too fickle to stomach it.

Do I have the solution to fix this? ….no…anyone…anyone

#41 dd on 10.16.09 at 8:46 am

…In any case, this messy little one-riding dustup does contain some larger truths: … If federal political parties …The occasional plain-speaking… Leaders should act like them…

Are you in the clouds? Common sense is beyond all the Federal parties.

#42 Comrade Okie on 10.16.09 at 8:56 am

Thoughts;

Steve Janke’s blog site is as informative as the National Enquirer.

The post was not a waste of time.

You are not a failure. You don’t fail if you refuse to give in.

Re: Lib/Con, what have I been telling you? Sheesh! Enough of that.

Everything has to start somewhere. Running as an independent with a campaign based on Democratic principles, truth and common sense economics would get a lot of ears.

I would work for a campaign based on those things, and exposing the underbelly of the current political system.

I am going to post on Conservative sites asking them to move on the gun registry legislation right now. Their excuse to date has been that they would get defeated by the opposition. Right now, there is none that is willing to risk an election.

Time to put up or shut up boys and girls.

#43 miketheengineer on 10.16.09 at 9:09 am

Garth

It is days like today, that they made the motorcycle. Jump on, head for the open country roads. It is just you and the road, with the feeling of the air, as it whistles by. No troubles, no worries, no concerns.

Can’t wait till I find a job…..going to get a bike and a motor home…..can I park them next to the bunker? I promise I won’t set off the alarms.

#44 molson cdn on 10.16.09 at 9:10 am

im glad you got smoked and tossed out.
it’s all bullsh**. you know the truth behind these cockroaches. why spend energy and time torturing yourself ! you would have become fustrated and strife. next you would have quit–then your really would have looked like the bad guy.

focus on this site or books. a few months ago you detailed your insight to the bond market-that was brilliant. i dont have a strong depth of financial understanding — stocks, bonds, mutuals, etc… – but when you write about the real estate/ mortgage industry, I’m all ears.

#45 jess on 10.16.09 at 9:11 am

How about those montreal contracts?
INteresting debate on transparency what it can and can’t do

#46 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.16.09 at 9:17 am

After reading the article and considering the so-called ‘rules’ the LPCO has I wouldn’t join the Party if they gave me a lifetime membership free and $1 million in cash. I believe in real democracy and they are without a clue, just as the CRAP is.

I will now only support independent candidates who I deem worthy of my honourable support. I don’t expect to have much to choose from. My Dad always said ‘Son, you don’t get to vote for the best man, just the one who will do the least harm!’ He was right!

Now, what can we actually do besides BMC (Bitch, Moan and Complain)? We have two other parties, the NDP and the Green, to choose from. Will they be able to defeat the Big Party candidates? Yes, with some work. Will we have true Independents to choose from? Probably not because the entire system, just like in the U.S., has been carefully crafted by laws and rules to grant power to the two major parties. It is like choosing between Dumb & Dumber, or the Mafia Gangster or the Street Gangbanger. Fortunately, we do have more than two parties to choose from in Canada,

Perhaps we need to do some Ghandi using passive resistance? It worked at Site 41 here in this neck of the woods and it will work elsewhere if the people Stand Up for what is right.

#47 somecatchphrase on 10.16.09 at 9:29 am

Garth

Returning to politics would be a complete waste of your time. The work you do on this blog is far more important than anything a backbench MP thinks or does. You can have more influence from the outside than the inside.

#48 Downsized and Delighted on 10.16.09 at 9:38 am

So what happened to your idea of not posting political
propaganda on this site? Thought you had a “special” site for that.

#49 somecatchphrase on 10.16.09 at 9:42 am

PS: An honest and thinking politician doesn’t have a snowballs chance in you know where. Your own political career illustrates this quite nicely. Real change in this country won’t come from inside the political system. Those who are on the inside are quite happy with the status quo. Real change will come from private individuals such as yourself that have the knowledge, the profile, the voice, the cred, and the courage to speak out against the status quo.

#50 Grantmi on 10.16.09 at 9:44 am

#19 Bogdan on 10.15.09 at 11:30 pm

Damn she’s hot!

I was thinking the same thing!!!

#51 CalgaryRocks on 10.16.09 at 9:45 am

Must be all the doom & gloom you’ve been spewing. You’ve allowed this blog to be hijacked by a bunch of whackos that hate Canada and some that predict the end if it every 2 weeks.

Oh yeah, and most of us have to work for a living. It’s not like we can uhaul it to Jacksonville, secure in knowing that our government pension plan will be direct deposited in our account every 2 weeks.

#52 Roial1 on 10.16.09 at 9:51 am

#10 James on 10.15.09 at 10:20 pm

Don’t do it James. All they are is a mouthpiece for the big unions. Thats why I no longer support them.
In fact I not only gave up my membership, I joined the “local” federal Liberals as the man who is going to run is as independent as Garth.
(Don’t tell Iggy)

Tommy Douglass is rolling over in his grave.

#53 GregW., Oakville on 10.16.09 at 9:54 am

Hi Garth,

What are some people doing? Do they just want a ‘title’ in a local or national group? (Narrow minded views maybe?)
Don’t they actually want to help get the best persons elected as an MP for the people, there neighbours? Makes you wander what is the motivation of some people.

This is assuming the people in our government we elect can actually do anything that isn’t first ok’d by the supper rich of this world to start with?

Garth, I hope you continue to tell it as you see it.

I still feel you could do some good for the people as an MP. I’d still vote for you, because you might accually get good thing done for most of us, in you own (not so) small way.
Unlike what we have often been getting from Ottawa.

Harper and his gang seems to be the worst I can remember, but maybe that’s because I wasn’t paying much attention before.
Maybe it was that I only got to hear what the corporate run mass media was feeding me/wanted to tell us?
I use to drink the water too, with the addatives!

#54 GregW., Oakville on 10.16.09 at 9:56 am

Hi #47 somecatchphrase,

From what I’ve seen Garth is capable of doing good work inside and outside at the same time!

#55 Bruce Chase on 10.16.09 at 10:02 am

A few days ago I was thinking about what a mess Canadian Politics is in. No real leadership in any party, a control freak for a PM, no real “government in waiting” opposition, a regional party holding disproportional influence on all that goes on and then there is the NDP trying to remain relevant in today’s world. YOU ARE RIGHT, AS A VOTER WHY BOTHER. EACH AND EVERY ELECTION IS AN EXERCISE IN SELECTING THE BEST OF THE WORST. What a pity, when Trudeau was in at least you had choices. When Mulhoney was in at least you had choices. Now there are no choices, just different shades of bland.

#56 Seilfworcehtsa on 10.16.09 at 10:02 am

I expected very little from Iggy and he hasn’t disappointed. In your case Garth, I thought you would show true grit and not let the bastards get you down. Jean Paul Sartre said that “hell is other people.” If they throw a little hell your way you ought to be able to bury them in fire and brimstone. In the pursuit of the common good yours is not to count the cost…don’t bury yourself …bury your enemies or at least let them know what they are contending with. You have been a good general for the Liberals…they owe you one but you have to collect. Depriving them of a good man is not the answer…as for Iggy perhaps a good kick in the arse might stiffen his spine.
Appreciation and bullshit are often shoveled out of the same cart. Respect is earned.

#57 Swag on 10.16.09 at 10:03 am

Garth I’m not surprised the Liberals don’t want you. You call people dweebs and idiots and slag Canada on the internet. You routinely put down people who buy houses (that includes yourself and vast numbers of other Canadians this year)

What did you expect to happen?

I may not suffer fools gladly (join the queue) but I never have slagged the country I’ve served. Proudly. And you? — Garth

#58 Devil's Advocate on 10.16.09 at 10:17 am

Well… I know that the last few times I voted I voted for parties I never ever thought I would. My intent was to cast a vote to screw things up royally and quickly. Only when we get to the very peak of dispair, doom and gloom will we do something about it. Bring on the havoc!!!

No party seems to be any better than another. Those which are perceived better are just doing a slower job of screwing up the country or province you live in. Problem is that is like a slow cure and to undo it will be VERY difficult. On the other hand if we screw things up quickly we can quickly fix them… well hopefully. My point is we will have to REALLY screw things up before we set about to fixing them.

Start a new party Garth… I would vote for you. I’ve been waiting for a leader and party I could vote for with confidence and pride.

#59 View from the south on 10.16.09 at 10:18 am

There may be hope for you yet Garth.

#60 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.16.09 at 10:18 am

Our democracy has been handed over to NGO’s, the Globalists, and a cess pool of scum that only cares about the immediate, power and money. They no longer even see the People unless they are their friends and collaborators.

Here is an idea to consider. Next year Huntsville, ON will host the G-8 and G-20 meetings. How about a Toll Booth set up by the People on all the highways leading to the meeting site and collecting a toll from the participants of $10 million each for the primary attendees, and additional tolls of $5 million for each seconf level attendee, $1 million for each MSM attendee, and $1 million for each vehicle?

The money will be kept by the People to fund their needs and not given to the government because WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT!

Just a thought. If it can work for the First Nations how about making it work for ALL CANADIANS, at least Ontarians?

Note the only other way in is by helicopter because the nearest airport capable of handling a corporate jet is the Muskoka Airport in Bracebridge/Gravenhurst. Otherwise it is Pearson or Ottawa for the big jets.

#61 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.16.09 at 10:25 am

Likewise, let each of us expose the corruption we personally know of in government, the media, and any other ‘trusted’ agency supposed to be serving the people. Shine the Light on the cockroaches and expose them in the searing heat of TRUTH! The MSM will pick up on it from the internet. We really no longer need them except for entertainment.

Sick ilk like Fox News and the other extremely biased arseholes need to be shut down and kicked out. Boycott their sponsors and let the advertisers know you are and WHY!

Democracy is only available to those who will stand up and demand it.

#62 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.16.09 at 10:28 am

Here is a prime example of how bad things have gotten, and like Harper promised ‘You won’t recognize Canada when I am done with it!’

Ottawa won’t budge on secrecy laws:
Conservatives flatly reject recommendations to open up the country’s most powerful institutions to more public scrutiny

The federal government has rejected calls to modernize and expand Canada’s Access to Information Act, despite warnings that the program is collapsing under bureaucratic foot-dragging and political negligence.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson this week refused to act on a Commons committee report urging changes to improve the right of Canadians to know more about the workings of the federal government. That includes a recommendation to open up Canada’s most powerful institutions – Parliament and the courts – to more scrutiny.

#63 Soylent Green is People on 10.16.09 at 10:45 am

Let’s obolish all parties.

Let’s just hire financial wizards to do the money part and everyone else can vote on individual issues via telephone or internet voting.

This stinks to high heaven.

There is this illusion voters are voting and have control.

What a crock it is. We have no control with our votes. That’s why people don’t bother voting; they know it’s a sham.

p.s. I vote anyway.

pss Garth Turner and the constituents got a bum deal (a repeating story) and it looks like Janet is about to eat him. Lesson learned: speak the truth and you will be buried everywhere you turn. Toe the party line and you will have the red carpet laid before you.

#64 Soylent Green is People on 10.16.09 at 11:03 am

#40 Freddy boy on 10.16.09 at 8:06 am

People know we have problems and they are working on solutions. Scorth the earth and build new.

I’ve worked for a city councillor. Every second of every day that man only had one thought in his empty brain; what’s in it for him. Will this help him get re-elected so he keeps getting money (salary etc etc etc) and perks and nice office and slave secretaries / interns and non-stop invites to social events (he was exceptionally cheap person as in not willing to pay for his own social life).

It was one of the most revolting displays I’ve ever seen in my life.

Now mind you, I did see other politicians who were human and genuinely cared about the issues of their residents.

One group outnumbered the other.

p.s. The one I worked for was tall and always wore suits. The old ladies in Scarborough thought he could do no wrong. How blind they are.

#65 Herb on 10.16.09 at 11:03 am

Sorry for your experience Garth, and thanx for letting us know that parties act internally the same way they threat each other. No surprise to stufents of philosophy: operans sequitor esse – “action follows upon being”, or “a thing acts according to its nature.”

There is hope for politics in Canada: Harper’s CRAP has not reached the top, and somebody’s LPC has not hit bottom.

Should the former attain a majority, it sure as hell won’t stay there, and when the latter finally hits the bottom it has been testing for a couple of years, it will rebound and resurrect itself as a viable federal party, and throw the Harperites out.

Meanwhile, more and more people will be converted to disgust and, when they can’t stand anymore, will demand that politicians grow up and act for the good of the country vice their own or the party’s. They will become mature voters who exercise their franchise deliberately to reward good performance or punish the opposite, starting a process of political selection similar to Darwin’s natural one. It will take time, but, to repeat a phrase coined during the Prague Spring: Truth is what remains after everything else has come unstuck.

We’ve been indoctrinated in “nominal” democracy for so long that it’s a miracle some people still look for the emperor’s clothes. Let’s keep looking.

#66 Computer Dude on 10.16.09 at 11:05 am

Go Green, Go Green, Go Green.

You tout fiscal sustainability…
You like shit-disturbing…
You sell solar panels…
You can stick it to both the Iggy and Harper parties…

What’s not to like about the idea? ;-)

#67 victoria reader on 10.16.09 at 11:17 am

I am seriously thinking about not voting next election for the first time. Unless there is an independant running in my riding. I hate all of the partys.

#68 Patsan on 10.16.09 at 11:20 am

Dear Swag #56,
Sometimes people need to be called idiots so they can realize the reality. Unfortunately for Canadians, most of them get used to be praised for whatever stupid deeds they done. It starts from early years in kindergarten and continues on until senility. One can argue that calling people what they are is inhuman and brutal, however, this is perhaps the only chance for them to come from delusional heaven to earth.

#69 Happy Renter in North Van on 10.16.09 at 11:22 am

Garth, the reality is Party Leaders prefer to surround themselves with syncophants, Yes men and trained seals. Party Leaders in Canada wield far more power in Canada than any other Westminster parliamentary democracy. The ability for a caucus to dump its leader “a la Margaret Thatcher” provides an important counter-weight to the Party Leader’s powers.

#70 Debtfree on 10.16.09 at 11:22 am

I love canada .Vote every time . Been every where . Looked at it all . I wish our riding had an indy . Can’t stand The CRAparty or the libs . Now jack laydown will jump in bed with anybody . This looks more and more like a democratic dictatorship of fools. Swag you sound like one of those LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT retards from way down south . As for calgaryrocks If canada ever gets an enema it will be shoved right up calgary ,edmonton is some where near the colon and end in the tar sands .That where most of the poison is that is giving all of canada a poisoned black eye . Out here in bc when ever someone is driving as an idiot does rudely honking their retarded bloody car fobs it’s almost always with alberta plates on their leased vehicles .Please ,please stay in alberta .

#71 TrueGritCalgary on 10.16.09 at 11:25 am

Who would have thought that we would be fondly hoping that Stephane Dion was still Liberal leader. For all his faults, Dion, at least, had a plan to govern and told us what it was and how he was going to implement it. Iggy looks like he’s heading for a worst result than was delivered under Dion.

#72 Kash is King on 10.16.09 at 11:34 am

Bill-Muskoka (NAM):

More loss of liberties will come in Bill C-6 if they manage to sneak it through.

One thing it will alledgedly do, is allow the FORCED-VACCINATIONS of the population :

Alarm quote: **** ” “No one in my lab wants to get vaccinated,” he said. “This totally creeped us out. We weren’t out there to poke holes in vaccines. But all of a sudden, oh my God-we’ve got neuron death!”

Also note there are alledgedly two triers of H1N1 vaccines…. one for elites, and one for the sheep.

Wonder which one Stevo gets when he rolls up his sleeve for the PR stunt?

This one will make you more scared of the vaccine than the H1N1:

At least there is hope somewhere:

#73 Comrade Okie on 10.16.09 at 11:36 am

“Janet made noises about her party insider influence”

Which Party?

Time for some whack a mole?

#74 Grace on 10.16.09 at 11:49 am

I am so sorry to read all this. I can’t say I am suprised though, I don’t like Ignatieff much (although I like Harper even less).

Liberal Party: I was getting ready to donate to Garth’s cause and yours just because he is running under your banner. No more. Unless you manage to get Garth to change his mind, there will be no more donation coming from me to you. Next, will be my vote.

Janet Rosenstock: maybe you should consider changing party to Conservative. They seem to suit your “style” better.

Grace

#75 OttawaMike on 10.16.09 at 11:55 am

I appreciate that you wanted to opt out graciuosly but there were a lot of unanswered questions.
Thanks for ‘splainin.
And yeah, it’s kinda boring so can we get back to finance/real estate now?

#76 Two-thirds on 10.16.09 at 12:00 pm

Garth, the reason they attack you is because they fear you.

The reason they fear you is because you are a threat to them.

You are a threat to them because you speak the hard truth.

The hard truth is what honest Canadians want.

Go national. Local influence won’t get the job done.

#77 Gregor Samsa on 10.16.09 at 12:04 pm

I’m really saddened by all of the comments indicating that people will not vote. Please understand that this is EXACTLY what the corporate politicians want you to do. They WANT average Canadians to stay home, while they rally their ideological bases who will certainly vote no matter what.

No matter what you do, vote! There is no excuse for not doing so. If you don’t like the major parties, vote for the Green Party, or the Canadian Action Party, or an independent.

Not voting is the exact same thing as voting for the status quo.

#78 Albertagirl on 10.16.09 at 12:06 pm

I second Ottawa Pete!! You should start your own party Garth. That way, those of us that do not live in your riding but support what you stand for can vote for your party. Perhaps some of us “blog dogs” might even get involved in our own ridings. Keep up the good fight Garth!

#79 Jason on 10.16.09 at 12:07 pm

I still vote, but my ballot always reads the same:
Conservative – Giant Douche
Liberal – Turd Sandwich
NDP – Giant Mega Douche
Independant – Slim to none chance of getting elected.

Our most important vote in recent times were the referendum votes to change the electoral system (provincial level for ON and BC). The uninformed masses keep rejecting the opportunity to help make their future votes count!

#80 Got A Watch on 10.16.09 at 12:19 pm

Sad I won’t get to vote for you this time out.

Iggy looks less electable than Dion (LOL – who would have seriously entertained that thought) and will be gone the way of the dodo soon enough.

Then the law of averages suggest the Liberals will probably get a Leader who might be electable. But I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I’d say run for the ‘Green Party’ if only because they are somewhere in the middle and already have about 17% and gaining rock solid support in this riding, amazingly enough, well ahead of the NDP. If they had a real Leader, not May, who is about as invisible as a ghost on the national stage and does not impress in media appearances – you forget what she said as she says it.
I suppose I will have to hold my nose and vote Green. I can’t vote NDP. Gulp.

But then you would probably have to pay 90%+ of all the expenses yourself, I guess, don’t think the Greens can get mass donations yet. Though, maybe -in ’08 the Greens spent the most in the riding at $66,728 to get 16.8% of the vote, vs the Cons at $61,440 for 51.23%, while the Liberals were cost effective at $18,089 for 19.35% (ouch). I told you the right vote here is strong, they brag about it at parties: “My grandpappy voted Tory and so do I!” – the NDP could never win this riding, ever, period. Looking at the growth rate of the Greens, they might be able to challenge seriously for the Riding in about 3 elections, so you would have to pay 3 X and run 3 campaigns, which sounds like too much work to me. OTOH you would be the highest profile Green, if you wanted to spend your time doing media appearances, you could. Pin these double-talking con men we call “Leaders” to the mat in debates. Imagine.

Can you enlighten us on the cold hard reality of modern politics: how much you figure it would cost you to mount a campaign for a Federal riding in a large spread out riding like Riding of Dufferin-Caledon. $66K seems rather low to me.

Vote re-distribution keeps shrinking this riding, it was larger and had a bigger Liberal vote in the past. Population growth has narrowed the riding to just Dufferin County plus Caledon, both mostly rural areas with a lot of wealthy people who choose to live outside Toronto, and that have a very strong Tory tradition.

This is actually a difficult riding to run in because there are few local media outlets. There are local radio and TV stations, but they have little reach. Everything comes from Toronto, only 50-100 km away, and the “local TV” channels are actually in Barrie (A-Channel) or broadcast out of Toronto. Local news is provided by weekly newspapers like this one Turner withdraws D-C candidacy.,

We are over-saturated with non-local news, and it is difficult to get media attention in Toronto for what is after all a sparsely populated no-news fringe area that consistently votes Conservative. I am sure most of my neighbors just show up at the poll and check the Conservative candidate box, without knowing or caring the name.

Whatever happens, congratulations on just being Garth. You serve Canada by merely existing, asking the pointed questions that the Ottawa/spin crowd can’t and won’t answer. Proof positive is how hard they work to squash you. There are probably Party operatives of all stripes reading this and scheming. You know you are doing a good job when all sides are gunning for you. Maybe you can irritate them so much their tiny heads will explode with rage when they see or hear you in the media.

#81 Bob on 10.16.09 at 12:22 pm

Garth, it’s sad, but your statement rings true. Many of my friends don’t vote, because they don’t see a difference. Either you get a person that doesn’t keep their campaign promises, or you get a person that doesn’t keep their campaign promises….

I think another factor is that the people we WANT to elect, the good, honest, hard working folks that truely want to improve life for their fellow Canadians, can’t/don’t get elected because they can’t sling mud and backstab like the “regular” politicians, so they give up and walk away.

I would like to ask one politician, say Gordo here in BC, if he can perform one act that will hurt his political career, but is good for the people that elected him. One thing, it’s a small request, but I doubt it would happen. It seems the majority of politicians are focused on staying in power rather than improving life for Canadians.

#82 Jim on 10.16.09 at 12:26 pm

Vancouver Real Estate Market Heats Up

#83 CalgaryRocks on 10.16.09 at 12:33 pm

I’d love to move to BC for the scenery. Too bad all you have in terms of industry is safe injection sites for hookers and vagrants. Enjoy spending your time avoiding crack addicts on the street. I wish our mayor would buy all the homeless here a one way ticket to Vancouver. They’d fit much better there.

#84 M on 10.16.09 at 12:33 pm

Garth Turner, Libertarian Candidate ???

#85 CaledonCitizen on 10.16.09 at 12:38 pm

I’ve voted twice in the 19 years I’ve been eligible. The first time I was 18 because it was novel. Generally speaking, politics reminds me of soap operas and WWE wrestling. It doesn’t get my attention. I am unable to follow it no matter how important it may be or how much it affects me. I accept what’s elected without complaint (honestly). If I can’t accept it I’ll move to another country. I shouldn’t be this way. But I won’t force myself on something I don’t relate to. Wrestling and soaps.

#86 CaledonCitizen on 10.16.09 at 12:41 pm

But I was ready to vote for you, Garth.

#87 Kash is King on 10.16.09 at 12:55 pm

That being said about the chemtrails in Ottawa… looks like they backed off for a while today. Mostly blue skies for the first time in a while…though they were going at it hot’n heavy this morning.

#88 David Bakody on 10.16.09 at 1:03 pm

Well Ladies and Gentlemen friend and foes alike y’all read it here many times so many time Garth once said he was sick and tired of telling y’all

CBC Breaking news……

Conference Board predicts 4% bank rate in 2 years

And that is just for openers the banks and credit companies have already raised their rates and service charges …… Remember Chretien saying hang on it’s going to one hell of ride …. his ride was to balance budgets and history making savings …. King Harper
(40% in polls and rising) is to the poor house except for 27 and counting new appointed Senators and over 125 political appointments and counting.

Help me with the math here 0.025% to 4.0% in two years is a rise of 3.75% or 1500% no small number here …..on a $500,000 mortgage that would be an increase of $ 2130 per month on a 35 yr mortgage and that is take home money ….so people would need a raise of approx $36,0000 per year just to break even. Now guess what? the new Harper Sales Tax, (HST) will be in full swing for approx 16 million new people well before that …… Welcome aboard Ontario and BC. Bon Chance. Time to throw in the towel …. no more voting for me unless there is a brand “X” on the ballot.

Garth take your lovely wife out to a very fancy restaurant sit back order a bottle of the best wine and the blue plate special and enjoy the fact you were not only 100% correct in your predictions ….. you are a free man, a common citizen albeit a blog master with a gift to put pen to paper AND you have saved the lives of many who took time to stop, read and listen before jumping on Harper’s band wagon to Harper/Flaherty’s O/K Corral’s maure pile.

I think voters have got it about right.”

Thank You Mr. Turner, I feel better already.

#89 Men With Hats on 10.16.09 at 1:16 pm

Time to put this whole sorry chapter in the rear view mirror .

#90 David on 10.16.09 at 1:17 pm

One would think when you consider a person with your knowledge of the political system. Is that you cannot buck the system. It is larger than most individuals. The system and organizations have the power to swallow one up.

An explanation was not required. It appears it is an attempt to shed a poor light on the president of the association.

#91 shifty on 10.16.09 at 1:18 pm

September CPI out today from Stats. Can.

September 2009 -0.9
August 2009 -0.8
July 2009 -0.9
June 2009 -0.3

#92 Elle on 10.16.09 at 1:28 pm

Garth, Garth, Garth….you must have heard these words before….

…….”no good deed goes unpunished!”

Believe it now?

PS. at first glance of Janet and you, I thought….

….please don’t let this be Garth’s wife – please don’t let this be………..

#93 Swag on 10.16.09 at 1:45 pm

#67 and Garth

It’s not so much the calling someone an idiot (or fool which is what you’ve now called me) as the assumption that because they disagree with you (or in my case point out your behavior) that they necessarily are one.

I’m sure you are busy man which is why it’s so difficult to engage an argument rather than just call someone a name, but wow – my kids don’t even do that anymore.

#94 Vancouver_Bear on 10.16.09 at 1:58 pm

#6 Nostradamus jr. on 10.15.09 at 10:11 pm

Your prodictions are based on the pot smoking hallucinations nothing else.

I was shocked when a friend of mine told me that his pest control business was growing faster then Vancouver RE prices.
If you plan coming here during owe’lympix….think twice…. little bloodsuckers are hungry and waiting for you in a fancy hotel or a million dollar house:

Bed bugs in Fairmont hotel:

Know before you go:

BC’s mild climate helps them grow exponentially everywhere in rich and poor neighborhoods.

And did I mention that Vancouver will become next bed bug capital of the world?….right after the owe’lympix. You heard it here first…..

BTW the owe’lympik medals look weird…. I wonder what the guy who came up with the design was smoking? I thought the mascots were weird….but the medals are just mind blowing.

#95 Jonathan on 10.16.09 at 2:34 pm

Just get rid of the government and we might return to some sense of democracy and meaning.

By all means the government and government organizations simply override individual freedoms and choice in every action that they perform.

Who mandates how are children are taught? Who mandates that we are to pay to build roads? Who picks winners and losers by offering businesses tax dollars? Who tells me what organization is to provide me with health care? Who subsidizes university to teenagers who end up being dumped in a flooded graduate market with no hope of earning more than 40K because they are a dime a dozen?

Stop making decisions for people. Stop interfering in people’s lives.

If anyone wonders why voters are so sheepish and don’t turn out for the voting day, or take a deep look into politicis, is because the government doesn’t give a crap about them. Why are our lives simply a pawn for politicians. Who wants to be a part of that?

Choice and freedom means minimalist government. The government simply interferes with our ability to search for truth and meaning in our own lives and make decisions based on our own conclusions – and to be accountable to nobody for the outcome of those decisions.

We will all end up being one homogenous pot of numbers if we don’t start being individuals and making individual decisions.

#96 David Bakody on 10.16.09 at 3:06 pm

Breaking CBC News:

2008 federal deficit hit $5.8B, audit reveals

Calling CTV & CBC so called professional journalist …. you all owe Mr. Garth Turner an apology as he called this and told you but no wanting a shot at a Senate Seat you sold out to Mr. Harper & Flaherty who told Canadians we had a surplus ….. and for the good people of Halton County who did vote for Garth Turner …. well done for not falling for pretty Lisa’s untruths and for those who voter for her ……you bin had …hook line and sinker! Now all will have to pay for it and much much more!

#97 charliegosurf on 10.16.09 at 3:14 pm

most ppl choose the blue pill, fortunatly theres still some who opt to go red….

a new world political party, called R E V O L U T I O N,

Michel de Notre-Dame Knows, we all know, change will come.

ITs for them, for us…

THE TIME HAS COME,

let the good time roll

#98 Live Within Your Means on 10.16.09 at 3:21 pm

#18 average joe on 10.15.09 at 11:23 pm
The old addage is still true- We get the goverment we deserve.
That party should go against the grain for you and your financial advice.
I count on you for saying what you mean.

Great Average Joe – I’ll be voting Lib. Because your CRAP party aren’t Red Tory’s. They’re worse than the Libs have ever been. So much for their accountability, transparency, etc. They are a totally laugh.

#99 TJ on 10.16.09 at 3:34 pm

Although I carry only a Libertarian label – Mr. Turner is one of the ONLY Politicians I trust.

Trouble is – Garth won’t cross the River Styx and lie to people – and I guess there’s no future in the Liberals for a guy like that.

Talking about TRUTH:

Think things are peachy, eh, ducks?

Bank of America Corp. said Friday it lost more than $2 billion in the third quarter as loan losses kept rising, providing further evidence that consumers are still struggling to pay their bills.

Read This:

The nation’s second-largest bank, which lost $2.24 billion after accounting for preferred dividends, said its losses for failed loans came to almost $10 billion during the July-September period, up almost $1 billion from the second quarter. The bank also added $2.1 billion to its reserves to cover bad loans, bringing its provision for credit losses to $11.7 billion. The bank’s total allowance for loan and lease losses sits at $35.83 billion.

Bank of America’s results were aided by profit from investment bank Merrill Lynch, including income from bond, stock and currency trading.

Its earnings follow the pattern set earlier this week by Citigroup Inc. and JPMorgan Chase & Co., which also reported more loan losses during the third quarter as consumers struggled to keep up with their credit card and mortgage payments. And on Friday, General Electric Co. reported that its GE Capital business, which includes credit cards, saw an 87 percent drop in profits, although it was also weighed down by commercial real estate losses. Together, the reports depict a financial industry that is still deeply troubled.

Bank of America loses $2.24B as loan losses rise

#100 TJ on 10.16.09 at 3:36 pm

Bank of America loses $2.24B as loan losses rise

#101 Stand up for Canada People on 10.16.09 at 3:45 pm

Sit down take a deep breath or a walk in the snow.

You must stand up for Canada

You MUST RUN in D.C.for anything.

We got the money to give them a run.

You have a team behind you.

A new party is BORN Trillium Party of Canada

We put a little bit of Liberal stuff a little bit of P.C. Stuff and little bit of Green Suff We mix it all up and Form The Trillium Party of Canada.”By The People for The People of Canada”

A new start in Canadian Politics.

People of Canada have had enough of the Old Boys Clubs.

If we build it they will follow.
EDMONTON — The Wildrose Alliance party could be Premier Ed Stelmach’s primary competition if an election was held today, according to a poll released Wednesday.

If they can do it we can too.

#102 Rob on 10.16.09 at 3:52 pm

Like I said earlier. This country is run by a two headed one party dictatorship. Sure both parties would like power over the country. Its like a private poker game with the political parties sitting around the table playing . The English Royal family , along with the Globalist offshore bankers and multi-national corporations are the dealers in the game. Occasionally somebody gets thrown out of the game but the point is its a private game. When someone from the outside wants to join in, they quickly turn of the lights and pull the blinds down, not allowing an outsider to ever join in . This is why people like Garth will never be allowed to play. That’s why our only option as a country is to start our own game, open to everybody no matter what their views are. This would discredit the private political cabal we are stuck with right now. The bottom line is Canada needs a true third party that is independent from the system. Check out the Canadian Action Party

#103 Mike (Authentic) on 10.16.09 at 3:53 pm

Sadly, Buell Motorcycles died today.

Harley-Davidson will discontinue production of Buell motorcycles. Remaining inventories of Buell motorcycles, accessories and apparel, while they last, will continue to be sold through authorized dealerships

Also Harley-Davidson to sell newly aquired MV Agusta brand as well.

It isn’t just the car manufacturers that are being hit.

Luckily, the “recession is over” right?

Mike

#104 kansai_92 on 10.16.09 at 3:54 pm

Ooops, Vancouver you’ve done it again.

Just when the punchbowl is about to empty, another group of pub crawlers show up with their own liquor, already pissed drunk.

Prices and demand are also on the way up in some sectors of the Vancouver market.

One home up for re-sale on the city’s east side tells the story.

The home — on Prince Edward Street near East 21st Avenue — isn’t officially showing until this weekend, but is already generating strong buyer interest.

It will list for $1.27 million, but three buyers have already offered to pay full-price without having stepped inside the building.

#105 Live Within Your Means on 10.16.09 at 4:05 pm

No wonder people are disgusted.

October 16, 2009
Sing to us of stimulus

Say you’re looking for information from your federal government about the economic-stimulus plan. You go to the government’s website.

And then you notice that things are a little quiet at the old computer. Some piano music might be nice. Considerately, the federal government has thought about this — just click on the YouTube link on the top corner, and you can be serenaded by Stephen Harper, singing a Beatles tune at the National Arts Centre.

What does this have to do with economic stimulus? I have no idea.

This is quite disgusting, even coming from the CRAP party.

#106 Coho on 10.16.09 at 4:18 pm

It must be getting apparent to even the most unaware that this planet is breaking down physically, economically, and socially. Visit the web pages of newspapers and read the front page headlines. It’s ugly everywhere.

Politicians are just minions of the ruling elite, but as usual, revelations such as what Garth has shared causes many to scream for the demise of party systems, or to vote for “fringe” parties as a protest vote. It is certainly understandable since we like to delude ourselves that we somehow have ultimate control over who we choose as our “master” who in turn serves its master, which in turn serves Its Master.

We’re like wheat blowing in the wind, but what we need to do is turn inwards for the truth of things because of the truth of this comment in post #93:

The higher up the power ladder the more it stinks. It’s always been about the problem of evil corrupting anything and everything. Sovereign beings of good heart are usually recognized and marginalized by TPTB, hence they won’t be elevated into positions of any real power. Sometimes good people will be given a certain amount of leash to stir things up if it suits one of many hidden agendas by those in charge.

It’s hard enough at times for each of us as individuals to stick to our principles (those of us who have them) let alone “convert” those around us to do likewise. Doesn’t it seem like most peoples’ “principles” change to suit their situation. If so, then they have no principles…and that suits the ruling elite just fine.

#107 Fritz on 10.16.09 at 4:28 pm

Sorry to hear what happened to you but no big surprise there. The whole system is rotten to the core. You can do more good (for us and Canada) or damage (for the corruption) by getting into the media. No doubt the MSM is out of the question so some independant type would have to do. Something bigger than this blog too. You can raise more stink standing outside the circle pissing in rather than inside the circle ,standing up to your knees in that putrid mess where the endemic corruption will just soak up the smell. It speaks more for someone who their enemies are than who their friends are.

#108 Coho on 10.16.09 at 4:33 pm

I’d like to add that it is not just government that impede peoples’ search for truth and meaning in their lives. Religions, science, education systems, main stream media, escapism through drugs and alcohol, cheque to cheque living, preoccupation with sex and violence, and many other aspects of life in our society all play a part of indoctrination, conditioning, complacency, and leading us down false paths away from our own personal truth.

#109 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.16.09 at 4:41 pm

#99 Stand up for Canada People

I thought about your Trillium Party name and like the idea a LOT! It is non-definitive in nature which avoids any pre-conceived sides of the centre, and representative of Ontario.

Recalling the way the U.S. started Congressmen (no women back then…sorry Gals) were sent by the States to represent the people’s interests. This is real Democracy and we should return to it asap. The U.S. fought a Civil War over State’s Rights and I think we need to as well, only without the war part.

If each province and territory had their own party then we would have real representation rather than the current fiasco of a national party and all that entails including massive corruption and centralization.

As I said, I like the name, and I think we here should make the necessary inquiries into forming such a party. I am sure Garth is a deep source of the legalities and hope he shares them by posting links so we can come up to proper speed, informed and knowledgeable.

It would certainly work nicely at the provincial level and then later for the federal level. :-)

#110 bigpictureguy on 10.16.09 at 5:10 pm

“Astonishing” That Big Banks Are Taking Taxpayer Money, Writing the Rules, Warren Says

#111 David Bakody on 10.16.09 at 5:15 pm

Breaking CBC News:

2008 federal deficit hit $5.8B, audit reveals

Went back for more info and it must be magic, poof it was gone along with a very unhappy picture our Finance Minister. Perhaps more CBC jobs were threatened who knows …. not to worry the truth stands on solid ground and that report is just one of many should the Canadian taxpayer stand their ground and demand and ask: Where’s the beef what have y’all done with our hard earned money>

#112 Nostradamus jr. on 10.16.09 at 5:16 pm

Sooo many Hong Kong citizens moving to Vacnouver…they say, vancouver sooo cheap compared to Hong Kong….and they calling new home…Hongcouver.

…Smart people…

Nostradamus jr.

#113 David Bakody on 10.16.09 at 5:24 pm

Found it …. good ode Internet … once you hit the send key it is out there!

#114 CalgaryRocks on 10.16.09 at 5:54 pm

#18 average joe on 10.15.09 at 11:23 pm
The old addage is still true- We get the goverment we deserve.

Libs are spenders, who throw money at anything.

No, no, not anything. Just friends and family.

#115 Nostradamus Le Mad Vlad on 10.16.09 at 6:27 pm

Politics is not my forte. After the Libs. unceremoniously dumped Dion — an honorable and good person who laid out a clear platform, costed it and had the best interests of the country at heart — we’ve gone back to the Greens.

Never lied on I.T.’s, never lied about the GST, blah blah. Never been elected, but what the heck? Better them than the power-hungry Zombie Borgs presently in charge. Enuff of their lying trash!
——
#97 TJ — “Talking about TRUTH: Think things are peachy, eh, ducks?” Peachy with a can of of rusty, spew-covered latrines as a nice topping.

Larry Edelson is fairly accurate on his forecasts — most correct, a few not so — but today his e-mail said the US govt. is now very quietly defaulting on its debts, the greenback is sinking (which explains why many other things are rising) and so on.

The m$m won’t report a single aspect of this, as six per cent of individuals control 96% of said media. At least on blogs such as Garth’s and others, info. cannot be hidden.

Lyndon Larouche has a good take on it — here; Daily Reckoning dollar daze; dollar daze and lotsa other things.

A link from rense.com I put up a few weeks ago suggested that the “October Surprise” could be the 3Q earnings reports.

Well, JP Morgan made a bundle (on taxpayers’ bailouts), some banks are taking a hit, but the whole story has to unfold yet.

#116 jess on 10.16.09 at 6:39 pm

itchy and scratchy news

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) — Raj Rajaratnam, the billionaire founder of Galleon Group, and former directors at a Bear Stearns Cos. hedge fund were among six people charged in a $20 million insider trading scheme federal prosecutors called the biggest ever involving hedge funds.

#117 MB on 10.16.09 at 7:25 pm

Dear Garth,

Good choice my friend… letting Janet cling to the tiny semblance of power she thinks she enjoys.

If you ever consider re-enter politics then you definitely need to start a new REGISTERED federal party. Maybe calling it the AVERAGE JOE PARTY or the CONSTITUENTS FIRST PARTY OF CANADA. I’m sure you can come up with something clever.

The main tenets of the new party might be:
1. MPs must represent the views of their constituents
2. MPs must speak their minds in Caucus meetings
3. MPs must vote their concscience (except on confidence votes when the new party is the governing party)
4. MPs must provide constituent based input in preparation for the formation of every budget.
5. Only incumbent MPs get to run in elections.
6. The Leader is chosen by secret ballot of the sitting MPs at the beginning of each session of Parliament.

The main idea for getting MPs for the new party would be to woo sitting dissafected MPs from other parties which would constantly force leaders of the other parties to pay attention to ALL of their MPs lest the back-benchers become disgruntled and defect to the CONSTITUENTS FIRST PARTY.

Even if you don’t get elected under the new banner any person running under the new banner would enjoy all the fundraising benefits of belonging to a registered federal party.

There is no benefit in running as an independent.

A constituent’s registered federal party is the only reasonable way to effect change and accountability as far as I can tell.

Take care friend.

Sincerely,
MB

#118 Live Within Your Means on 10.16.09 at 8:00 pm

#113 CalgaryRocks on 10.16.09 at 5:54 pm
#18 average joe on 10.15.09 at 11:23 pm
The old addage is still true- We get the goverment we deserve.

Libs are spenders, who throw money at anything.

No, no, not anything. Just friends and family.

Lets see you try to defend your CRAP party now.

#119 Men With Hats on 10.16.09 at 8:17 pm

FYI :
Garth was an independent after the Crappers made him walk the plank .
I believe he found it to be too restrictive .

#120 Leaving Town on 10.16.09 at 8:29 pm

111

Ummm Nostra….have you noticed how Vancouver is being “abandoned” by certain demographic groups, as more and more people cash out on the wave of “rich foreigners” who are stupid enough to buy their houses and provide them with retirement and start-up funds.

Slowly but surely political and economic power is being subtlety relocated to areas outside of Vancouver, such as in the Interior.

Careful what you wish for – the only thing that will be left of Vancouver in 20 years is a certain demographic that doesn’t own the engines of production.

So much for financial acumen…keep them “rich foreigners” coming I say, because they will ultimately be left holding an empty hat. Oh, and of course, their shoeboxes in the sky….

#121 Onemorething on 10.16.09 at 8:35 pm

#111 – Nos J

So they have picked up on what we have been calling it for the past 10 Yrs?

Chinese moving into Honkers, Honkies moving into Hongcouver, they will both boost the RE to a point where the crash will even more significant!

And all you VAN lovers will get sucked down the rat hole along side them!

Enjoy your city!

#122 GregW., Oakville on 10.16.09 at 9:02 pm

Hi #72 Kash is King, thanks for your links.
Through them I found these. Have you seen them?

Canada’s Federal Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq said yesterday that the government plans to have “100 per cent of Canadians“ vaccinated with the “swine flu“ jab, in a programme starting from the first week of November.

The government is planning a huge advertising campaign to persuade Canadians to take the untested and toxic Pandemrix swine flu jab produced by GlaxoSmithKline.

Laws are in place to force Canadians to take the jab as Canada’s chief public health officer Dr. David Butler-Jones said he envisaged having every Canadian vaccinated before Christmas.

This is very important information to here
(2 videos 9 & 6 min.)

Robert F. Kennedy JR tells the truth about the Government Vaccine cover up
Last Updated on Thursday, 15 October 2009

The information about the live vaccines that are being used is scarry to read too.

Artical;
Officials Say: Don’t Blame the Swine Flu Shot, You’ll Drop Dead Anyway

Another vaccine warning video sent to us by a reader

#123 Jeannie on 10.16.09 at 9:36 pm

Garth, you know these blog-readers only too well!

Your revelations on the behind-the-kingmaker-scheming machinations are a reality check for some of us.
I’m probably not the only one asking “Why would anyone even want to be a politician?”
I suppose if you could just keep your lip zipped, nod and say ‘yessir’, you’d be part of the IN crowd. However, as you’re unable to play along, perhaps you should rethink your strategy. You still have fire in your belly for politics, so how can you still have a voice without compromising your principles?
Some here have suggested birthing a new political party…this sounds like a long hard slog, I can only imagine the dedication and sacrifice such a venture demands.
Whatever you decide, many of us will be watching with interest. The old cliche about one door closing, and another door opening might be directing you to the next phase of your life?

#124 nonplused on 10.17.09 at 12:29 am

Garth won’t be able to start a new party that makes a difference. He’s too old. The next party, the one that sweeps the slate clean and starts again, is going to be supported by the X’s, Y’s, and Millennials. The boomers aren’t going to be around to pay for their sins in the not so distant future, so the folks that will are going to want a say, which until now they have not had.

That said, their will be room in the new party for collaborative, realistic boomers to act as “wise members” and help guide the younger folks along. So I nominate for Garth as second in command, and probably finance minister.

But the next new party will be of the young. And it won’t be the Green party. I know the Greens are trying to capitalize on all the propaganda that the boomers are feeding the young through the school system, but they forget that the school system is considered defunct even by those kids still force to attend. Nobody believes a 60 part per million (That’s 60/1,000,000) increase in a gas that has always been present in the atmosphere and that plant life would die without (and then everything else) is going to kill the climate. It’s silly. Especially since the CO2 level has been much higher at many times in earth’s history. It’s just a tax grab, meant to deny the young and emerging markets/children the same rights the boomers had while raising taxes to pay for what the boomers want but wouldn’t save for.

#125 Future Expatriate on 10.17.09 at 3:13 am

#57 – Oh nuts, Harper’s secretary is back…

#126 Stand up for Canada People on 10.17.09 at 6:04 am

Bill-Muskoka (NAM) REF:Trillium Party of Canada

If you look at the History of the Block in Quebec.
Started at 0 How many M.P.’s?

The new party out west called the Wild Rose Alliance are picking up steam in only 4 months.

If you think about this both Cons and Liberal’s will never be able to form a Government because Trillium party will be able to block them.
People of Ontario would be able to have another new choice at the polls and perhaps people will come out and vote for the voice of the people the Trillium way.
For the people by the people first.
The amount of money that our current Government is pissing away.Just go on the Government web-site Millions and Millions of dollars are being spent and not being controlled.Friends of M.P.s are being greased with contracts at our expense.Its time for change in Canada Bill.

Cheers

#127 miketheengineer on 10.17.09 at 7:10 am

Flu stuff.

There are naturalpathic methods to prevent the flu. Go see a naturalpath.

Also, I am taking Vitamin C, 1000mg and Vitamin D3. (not vitamin D).

I had taken Vitamin C, for a long time, during treatment for Cancer 25 years ago. I have done research on Vitamin C for myself, and I know it boosts the immune system, from the papers that I have read and the books I looked at in McMaster University Library. I believe in Vitamin C. Costco has it in 365 pills, and it is not too expensive.

Jameison has vitamin D3. It is carried at Costco. Walmart had it on sale 2 weeks ago for 60% off, and I think it is still on sale at Metro. Get it now, before the shelves are wiped clean.

Good luck.

#128 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.17.09 at 9:57 am

#123 nonplused

Whereas you have openly played the Age Card I have some news for you Kid! We Boomers are NOT going to allow the most lax generation in modern history to grab full control of OUR future. When I see your generation master the use of things like razors, combs, and some form of sentient culture then I might consider handing the baton over.

I would willingly work as equals but if you think you’re all hot and ready to lead then you are two fundamental clicks short in the making of a clue. You are, in effect, no damn different than the current bunch of power mad morons running the asylum. You want power, but you have no idea what for!

Now, having laid that out clearly, let us work together without the impending threat of age bias. As the guy said in Spamalot ‘I’m not dead yet!’ LOL

#129 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.17.09 at 10:01 am

#125 Stand up for Canada People

I agree. The best system I have seen todate is that of the NWT, wherein, the MLA’s (Members of the Legislative Assembly) are elected as independents without a party affiliation, then they select the most qualified of their lot as Premiere of the Territory. All legislation must be by consensus meaning that no one ideology dominates, but all the people are represented and the final law satisfies everyone. That is real democracy.

#130 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 10.17.09 at 10:07 am

#124 Future Expatriate

Worry not mon ami, Harper’s PMO has a high turnover rate! LOL Even rats have ethics now and then! That is why lawyers make better lab rats, there are some things a rat just won’t do.

Hey, come to think of that, I bet RE agents would make even better lab rats, they’ll do anything for rewards and a little recognition.

#131 Dorf on 10.17.09 at 11:46 am

You’re right, you wasted your time, and mine.

Demographic: 42 year old gen-X’er who spends his life struggling to get ahead of the debt left to us by the boomers. There is next to little opportunity for us, and all the boomers left us were bills. I tested in the top 5% for grey matter and my banker says I’m in the top 3% of income earners.

Why would I show up to vote for people that made life so hard for me ?

Democracy ?
Great idea, we should try it some time.

*Caution: Democracy means you have to share power with others. A very dangerous practice if you plan to control everything and make it just your own way.

#132 Rob on 10.17.09 at 12:12 pm

#123 I agree. And don’t forget Al Gore and Barack Obama are major share holders of the biggest carbon credit trading company in the States. That whole issue is a scam to lower our standard of living and ship all industry overseas where labor is $2 an hour. Meanwhile the planet has been cooling for the past decade. They now say Climate Change, not global warming because they know the climate isn’t warming up. Our corrupt government funded education system has the kids believing seasons are bad and winter is caused by climat change.

#133 Jonnay on 10.17.09 at 12:51 pm

Sounds to me like the local Libs absolutely want to lose the election once again, at least in that riding. (How’s the water over there?) What’s up with all the bureaucracy in the process anyway?

You should consider running Green. If the Greens beat the Libs in the last election in all polling stations, then I could only see it as a good thing for you to run as Green.

#134 Dorf on 10.18.09 at 12:36 pm

Here’s a little story for all you boomers, that explains the difference between our generations and why we will never see eye-to-eye on anything. We come from different worlds. I’m sure every Gen-X has heard this story a few times, and still gets a good laugh from it.

Here it goes:

Times have always been hard for us in gen-x, some times more than others. During times when it was really hard to find a decent paying job, Dad always had this advice for me…..

If you go to an employer to find work and they are not hiring, keep coming back. Show determination, show dedication, they will eventually hire you. Show up every morning at opening time and sit there and wait, eventually they will get sick of you showing up in the office every morning and hire you.

So, I take Dad’s advice. On the third day of showing up and hearing that they are not hiring, I am asked politely to leave the premises. On the fourth day, they call the police, have me arrested and get a restraining order against me. I’m pretty sure I am not going to get hired as they have a picture of me at reception, with a copy of the restraining order and instructions to call the police if I set one foot on their property.

Thanks for the advice Dad, I love you lots, but if I took all your (now obsolete) advice, I’d still be living with you in your house (like some of my friends). Lucky for you, I figured things out on my own and did OK for myself.

Remember, my life will change more this year than it did in my grandparents entire lifetime. Boomers are not adept at handling such abrupt change, while it has been my whole life.

My home is not my retirement package, I don’t waste time looking for employers with a pension plan, I do not put money into RRSPs, and I do not believe for a moment that I will ever stop working or paying bills, and I surely don’t believe that the government or the generation running things is doing anything in my interest, or for my benefit. I am simply an address to mail the bills to once they are done spending all the money to make life even more decadent for themselves.

And you want me to vote ?
I vote absolutely no faith in the whole damn system, is there a box for that on the ballot ?
If not, then make one and my whole generation will show up to vote.

Garth, I’m sorry it breaks your heart that you can’t be among the people responsible for this mess, but I fail to understand why ??

#135 MsDuffCal on 10.18.09 at 7:44 pm

Sounds like the local Libs are lackey Libs for the big Libs in Ottawa

#136 GTA001 on 10.18.09 at 10:02 pm

Garth:

Well I, guess it did not take too long to find out the real reason why the Liberal Party did not acclaim your nomination papers for the riding of Dufferin-Caledon. Its one thing for the Conservatives to discredit you by bloggers that support them, the MSM through Robert Fife and Tom Clark of CTV, but to find out that a Fifth Column was behind it speaks of betrayal. Regardless of whether Ms Janet Rosenstock or Mr Jeff May ends up being the “Official” nominee of the party and given Mr Ignatieff blessing from Ottawa, you can take small comfort in the fact that they will NOT win the riding because residents wont get a realistic plan to fix the economy from the Liberals.

What is truly lost here is a titanic battle between you and Mr Tilson on the future of this country. I believe that the MSM and the country would have been riveted to their seat’s, and watching the daily reports on how both parties put out their message to get votes. Canadian’s would appreciate how you would confront the Conservatives on their policy platform. Could you have won the riding? We will never know, but people would not have forgotten the issues in the next federal election!

The residents of Dufferin-Caledon will return Mr David Tilson back to Ottawa as an MP because they will swallow the blue pill of PMSH, convinced of the propaganda by the CRAP gang that the government will make everything ok. They will not know the reason why the government borrowed $200 billion in the capital markets for the stimulus plan and to put away $125 billion for a possible default of CMHC. They will not know why CMHC is going to guarantee up to $1 trillion of MBS by 2011 and if the housing bubble burst the taxpayers will be on the hook for the losses when Mark Carney raises interest rates in July of next year. They will not understand that nominal wages have not risen in 10 years, but their property taxes, utilities and consumption taxes will rise (with the cost of basic needs)while the CRAP gang will tell them that they have to do their part to pay for government services. As long the residents are still working and not worrying about rising contagion of unemployment, growing social distress in the cities and regional centers, they won’t demand real action on these problems.

Lastly, you correctly pointed out that if a potential candidate for a riding has strong views is outspoken and stirs up the hornets nest occasionally, with local support should be supported by the party. If that person was nominated and acclaimed, the local riding association should stand behind the candidate. There should be no dissention. These people betrayed you with the help of the LPC-HQ and Mr Ignatieff. They don’t want you because of the potential that you will upstage the “Leader” in the upcoming 2010 Federal Election. This tightening of nominations by all three parties clearly indicates that the grassroots are being ignored and dictated to. It’s no wonder why 50% of Canadian’s are turned off of politics and don’t bother to vote.

I heard your interview on Howestreet.com on why you resigned from the DC Liberal Riding Association. You are right in standing firm on your values and beliefs on what should be done to improve Canada’s economy. If the Liberal party and Mr Ignatieff want you to shut up and do as you are told, tell them to go to hell just like you did to PMSH and the CRAP gang in Ottawa. If you really want to go back into federal politics, talk to Mr Sinclair Stevens of the Progressive Canadian Party (The old PC Party). That will really piss off both sides. Alternatively you could run as an independent and win as one of your former colleagues in the Maritimes did when PMSH kicked him out of the party for not voting for the Atlantic Accord. If you want my personal recommendation read my comments at post #136 on your articled entitled 30.

#137 david saskatchewan farmer on 10.19.09 at 8:53 pm

With all due respect Garth,,,why on earth would you want to even be part of the Libranos??
Distain for the party and the system itself would certainly discourage ME from becoming part of it,, this would be a logical conclusion don’t you think??