Ottawa

sheep31

As a former MP, your overbearing hubris has been your ultimate downfall.  With your sick, smug attitude, Canadian folks became disenchanted with your disgusting flamboyance. You persist in pronouncing your perspicacious stance as Mr. “know it all” yet, fail to realize that your audience yawns at your mendacious stance. You are a true loser who, like many psychiatric patients, fail to recognize their illness. Garth, give your head a shake and see a “shrink” soon. Hopefully, you are not beyond help. – Jim O’Toole (somewhere in the Maritimes)

Well, actually, I am way beyond hope.

Why else would I tape for CBC national TV news in Toronto at daybreak on a Sunday, jump on a plane to Ottawa, only to do battle in a public debate with a Conservative groupie, while being pummeled by Harpies? And that was just the start of a two-day launch of my latest book, “Sheeple.” On Monday I have wall-to-wall media events in Ottawa, during which it’s fairly certain I will end up like a rag in the hands of the ShamWOW guy.

Nonetheless, I will carry on. Not to exact revenge on others (as deserving as some may be), but rather to cattleprod the system closer to reform. My message is simple. I will state it here once, then move back to the safer high ground of our economic mess.

My goal with this book is not to pave the way for another election campaign, because I’m done with this. It’s not to bring down Stephen Harper, because he’s doing an excellent job on his own. It’s not to denigrate my former Conservative colleagues, since they made their choices just as I did. It’s not to make money, which every Canadian book author will understand.

I wrote this miserable, disappointing, upsetting story because voters and citizens need to understand more of how the system works, so they can demand better.

* Leaders should lead by example and inspiration, not repression and bullying. I have sat in the caucuses of several leaders, including Brian Mulroney, Kim Campbell, Stephen Harper and Stephane Dion. I heard only one of those people threaten his or her colleagues.

* Political parties have become obtuse clubs or, in the case of the current Conservative Party, a cult. Those who do not fit in are shunned, shamed and excommunicated. The rules are made up as things go along. There is very little transparency or accountability, and grassroots’ members wishes are trampled any time a leader feels like doing so.

Is it any wonder that just 1% of Canadians are members of a party?

* Parliament has to be a lot more inclusive and responsive in order to stay relevant. With today’s technologies and the fact that 80% of Canadian have high-speed internet access, there is no reason MPs can’t constantly poll their constituents, conduct electronic surveys, hold online straw votes and ask for opinion on proposed legislation. They can still be free to vote their own minds and consciences, but voters will at least have been consulted.

In the absence of this, is it any wonder our voting participation rate is crashing? Half of us did not even bother to turn out in the last election.

* More than anything else, I think voters should demand the people they send to Ottawa to represent them actually try to do that. The idea is for MPs to be the voice of their citizens to a party and a leader, not to be the voice of the leader and the party back in their home towns.

We may have evolved a presidential, leader-oriented style in this country, but unlike Americans, we cannot vote for our local federal politician, our senator and our nation’s leader with three separate ballots. We get only one, and it is for the man or woman we want to carry our torch in Ottawa.

Also unlike the Americans, we do not have a leader who embraced the new digital technologies, who asked voters to come inside the process, who made a commitment to rise above partisan politics or who inspired millions to vote for the first time while in Canada millions stayed home.

I hope that will change. I hope future MPs will be proud to stand by their principles.

I’ve not enjoyed returning to Ottawa these few days. Nobody needs this crap. But the country belongs to the people, not the political elite or the media elite which serves them.

xurbia-banner13

For today’s blog, “Thousands powerless in Ontario”, go here.

#1 Alberta Ed on 04.26.09 at 7:08 pm

Wow! Hubris, disgusting flamboyance, perspicacious, mendacious; had to get out my dictionary. Damned impressive in any event, IMHO! I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s CBC interview AND the book (which is in the mail). The only time the PC’s call me is when they want money… and I’m not buying this time out.

#2 hagbard on 04.26.09 at 7:09 pm

You’re promoting democracy. Democracy, imo, is a very bad idea, people will vote for bread and circuses at everyone else’s expense. Better choice is republican government or better still, no government at all (though we’re a long way from that).

#3 Marc on 04.26.09 at 7:16 pm

End up like a rag in the hands of Vince the Shamwow guy, fine. End up like the prostitute that bit his tongue, not good. I still think Billy Mays set this up.

#4 Charles on 04.26.09 at 7:38 pm

Bail Outs

#5 Da HK Kid on 04.26.09 at 7:40 pm

Garth, I trust you will have a strong run with this new book. I hope everyone will look at this book as a continuation or extension of your exposure of what is really going on in Canada and rethink more specifically their position of government.

For the most part Canadians don’t care or don’t have a clue. For this I am disappointed and have been most of my life, however with the economy unfolding and policy for our future being determined by those you have likely mentioned in your new book, I can only hope more people will understand the disservice Ottawa plays in our everyday life.

As you, I believe technology by way of access to real time information and blogs has given us a great tool for sharing opinions and gaining knowledge.

I am bearish on the economy as it continues to unfold. I believe Ottawa has not embraced technology as they know it is dangerous for their survival, so I guess the people bring it to them, THE HARD WAY!

All the Best Garth!

#6 Fisher on 04.26.09 at 7:48 pm

People want to be sheep. To be told what to do and when. People want to know what to expect next. People are sheep. Con, Lib or Com we all want the same thing. We are all the same people.

Can’t wait to read your new book.

#7 JO on 04.26.09 at 7:53 pm

Our political system is far from perfect, but Garth, it is much better than the US. THat country has for a long time been run by The Fed, Treasury, and over 30K lobbyists. The Congress is a complete disaster save a couple of people (Ron Paul / Sherman).

A political system is secondary to a more crucial question: Who controls the system of money and credit in a nation ? Is the monetary system sound (no central bank, currency value managed in reference to a commodity index / basket of other sound currencies? / ideally no fractional reserve but at a minimum, very low leverage (5-8 to 1 ?))

Once we answer that, we need to look at the size of government. The majority of governments have grown hugely over the last 10-20 years and require a complicated, high taxation system to keep them alive. This taxation system is an economic disaster and directly minimizes GDP growth and limits prosperity. A lagre government is in fact the greatest threat to your liberty and wealth.

A political system will be geared toward doing the right thing for citizens more often than not if government is smaller and money sound. There is no perfect system, but the reality is and has been that many politicians bend into the wishes of special interests and corporate bigwigs. Unfortunately, serious change will likely require massive protests from everyday citizens because the elite will not give up the current structure as it is too valuable. Taxpayers are seen as a highly prized asset that these corporate/special interest groups desperatly want to leverage by influencing important politicians. The RE/financial industry is without doubt the most influential group.

I do not have a deep understanding of our political system, but I propose some changes:

1) Eliminate re-election and make all terms 5 years
2) Hold mid term elections.
3) Any government that runs a deficit of more than 3 % for more than one year needs to implement a budget within the first month or two of the second fiscal year that cuts government spending and limits tax increases or else face automatic failure.
4) Make the fundamental reform of our monetary system.

Throughout my many years of economy watching and studying economic history, I long ago came to the tragic conclusion: Our current system which is a debt based, fractional reserve (highly leveraged to boot), fiat money system in combination with a large government financed by a complex and punitive tax system is in fact a long term wealth confiscation scheme. It is not (and never has been in history) a wealth creation structure and no friend of the working/middle class. It is also NOT a free market system. Unfortunately, the average Canadian (and global citizens in developed countries) will realize this before 2015 when houses have dropped 40-50 %, pensions cut 20-50 %, and taxes raised to extreme levels.
JO

#8 Coho on 04.26.09 at 8:03 pm

Good comment about the country being the peoples’ and not the political and media elite. But, the Queen still has first dibs.

Harper gets his marching orders from the Queen, as have all Canadian PM’s. He asked her permission to shut down parliament last winter. In essence, she kept his party in power, did she not?

What do you call ignorant, unaware, conditioned, programmed materialistic people who think their country belongs to them?

Answer: Sheeple

#9 Nostradamus jr on 04.26.09 at 8:03 pm

>But the country belongs to the people<

…Eloquent and you’ve hit the nail on the head Garth.

However there is no solution other than disolution…Canada is too large and too diverse a population to satisfy everyone all the time.

In my honest opinion we do not need a Federal Government…..perhaps stronger Provincial Governments held together w/ just email ties.

In other words its time for the Provinces to divorce themselves from each other.

Quebec was on to something with Parizeau…we should have followed thru.

#10 Republic_of_Western_Canada on 04.26.09 at 8:06 pm

Heh. ‘perspicacious’ ?? Jimmy baby, it seems you’ve been up all night with the thesaurus.

Perspicaciousness does in fact occur on this blog from time to time, especially when I post, but no one here is quite drowning in it yet.

If it bothers you that the Conservatives have been circling the wagons for awhile, note it is purely due to having to keep the crooked Lie-beral swine in check long enough to get the country back on a even keel. A good example of this is dealing with the wretched, wasteful, abusive gun-grabbing scheme hatched by the Lie-berals. Until we get rid of that shit, all the witless, naive ‘feel-good’ social-engineering cretins in, and represented by, the Lie-berals will have to be kept controlled.

Seems Garth just got squashed a bit between forces while all this was going on.

#11 Terpy on 04.26.09 at 8:21 pm

This “loser” inspired me to sell my house close to the peak, where I now sit, renting, thanking my lucky stars I listened to him

The only people I am “disenchanted” with are those in Ottawa who lied to me just to get elected

The “yawning audience” must include some of the families in my town with 3000 sq houses with the toys to match, a town leader told me the other day that several of these families are in severe financial stress.

“Overbearing hubris”, because he is one of the few with the guts to stand up and tell us the truth! If our reps in Ottawa had this quality we wouldn’t be in the mess we are in

“Mr Know it all” has saved me thousands and put my finances into perspective, I no longer feel the need to live beyond my means to keep up with my neighbours.

Garth, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. My marriage is strong, my children are happy and my finances are fantastic thanks in part to the common sense message you have delivered.

#12 Jon B on 04.26.09 at 8:35 pm

Garth, beware of your two biggest competitors in terms of accomplishing your goal ; voter apathy and the general mass ignorance of Canadians.

#13 Dan in Victoria on 04.26.09 at 8:40 pm

Wow,I had to go look those words up,I guess my Canadian public school education just wasn’t up to par,or maybe it was covered one day in 7th grade when I had to help put a new roof on the house and couldn’t come to class.I can just see myself sitting on my pickup truck tailgate, sipping my Timmies and spouting off those words on a construction site.Geez, a big word for us is wheelbarrow.You must have a pretty thick skin to put up with all this crap.Press ahead Garth,there are a lot of us out here that realize there needs to be some changes.Where I come from your word was your bond and a handshake sealed the deal,I guess that doesn’t work to well in Ottawa.

#14 Republic_of_Western_Canada on 04.26.09 at 9:06 pm

Garth, one more thing.

Although real-time, fine-granularity feedback from an educated, caring populace is a Good Thing in principle and necessary for a proper representative government, we have little meaningful regional representation in the current system. So, the feedback system as you’ve proposed wouldn’t really change anything.

Since Confederation, a few assholes in southern Ontario have dictated ‘whats best’ for the rest of the country. Those in the West and North and just about everywhere else outside of the the Montreal-Thunder Bay-Detroit triangle have been disappointed annually on just about everything at every turn. It’s no wonder Canada is called an ‘elected dictatorship’.

That’s why we have a standing east/west north/south polarization where nothing gets done, until Lie-berals (under Trudeau or the Shawinigan bastard) or PC (under Mulrooney the crook) piss off enough people in southern Ontario to flip-flop the government there from the ditch on one side of the road into the other.

Now, finally, finally, we have a representative from here in Calgary/Central Canada who can get us all out of that, and is in a position to actually turn things around and clean up this country. Instead of just having a place where one lousy Quebec or Ontario lawyer bickers with another one for four years without changing the status quo.

Furthermore, true democracy is based on the notion of intelligent resolution of problems. Today we mostly just have a cheap, vulgar mentality of a majority that doesn’t really want to change or fix anything. Even though we are all now staring straight into the headlight of an oncoming locomotive of economic disaster. This is exacerbated by commercial hype of vested interests, like banks, developers, real estate agents, car companies, and indentured married people with kids.

For example instead of discouraging massive population growth and stopping immigration to drop housing demand, and instead of redesigning cities to stop wasteful suburb development, a majority (of mostly vested interests) would rather keep the housing bubble going and huge debt exploding upwards by dropping interest rates too low.

Unless the interests of all those from Cambridge Bay to Dawson City (a huge area), for example, are equally balanced against those in a single part of Ontario at least, and unless those few of a superior or enlightened intellectual persuasion are significantly represented so that things of all kinds can improve, the whole idea of accurate, precise, and positive representation from each citizen will be DOA.

#15 TomOfMilton on 04.26.09 at 9:20 pm

“Harpies” That made me burst out laughing and wake up my wife.

“Harpies” *snicker*

Shhhh….Say it again

“Harpies!” *maniacal giggling*

#16 ts harpoon on 04.26.09 at 9:35 pm

Law of Power #42:

STRIKE THE SHEPHERD AND THE SHEEP WILL SCATTER

Trouble can often be traced to a single strong individual-the stirrer, the arrogant underling, the poisoner of goodwill. If you allow such people to operate, others will succumb to their influence. Do ot wait for the troubles they cause to multiply, do not try and negotiate with them-they are irredeemable. Neutralize their influence by isolating or banishing them. Strike at the source of the trouble and the sheep will scatter.

Keep banging the drum Garth!!

And now, a retro video of the Shepherd:

#17 Glenn on 04.26.09 at 10:19 pm

Wow, let me be the first to say that Garth is none of those horrible things.

If for no other reason then hes not a gold bug, like myself.

Me, Im all that and much much worse.

*rushes off to take meds*

#18 CS on 04.26.09 at 10:43 pm

As a former sheeple, accepting the overbearing hubris of the elected government was quite likely going to be my downfall. With the government’s sick, smug attitude, Canadian folks like myself became disenchanted with their disgusting flamboyance and chose to look elsewhere – to places like Xurbia. Mr. O’Toole, I give you credit for recognizing Garth Turner’s stance as perspicacious; as he is indeed insightful, wise and astute. Sadly, calling him mendacious points to the state of confusion you seem to have between Mr. Turner and the current government – a state of confusion oft observed in psychiatric patients who fail to recognize their own illness. Jim, give your head a shake and see a ‘shrink’ soon. Hopefully, you are not beyond help. – CS (somewhere in the West)

#19 Cara on 04.26.09 at 10:49 pm

I think if you err anywhere Garth, it’s in being an idealist. You actually believe in a government of the people, for the people.

I’m only in my early 30’s, but if my view of government is shared by others (and looking at voter turnout, it is) we don’t believe this system will ever be allowed to work.

All your ideas seem fantastic, but they won’t work because the last thing “government” wants is to have the beady little eyes of the populace actually watching and aware of the misdoings and shenanigans that go on behind closed doors to ensure the trough never goes dry.

But thanks for trying. In a sense, you’re accomplishing MORE of what you wanted to get done just by running this website. You’re making a difference out there, and if you’re an idealist (as I think you are) then that is what matters, is it not?

You’ve impacted my personal life/finances positively, and I give you my thanks.

Do you want my money? LOL

#20 dbg on 04.26.09 at 10:50 pm

Why would anyone run for government?

Fame?
Money?
Ego?
Idealistic?

Crazy?

#21 Has on 04.26.09 at 11:22 pm

Hey Garth,

My girlfriend and I (both big fans) had the pleasure of meeting you today in Ottawa. The event was entertaining to say the least.
I sensed that you didn’t like your history-major-quotation-loving counterpart?
We were just there to hear you speak about the RE market and the economy.

#22 Kurt on 04.26.09 at 11:37 pm

Garth, I may be way offside with this, but I think it’s time to stop calling Stephen Harper a leader: he is not, and has no interest in being one. He is a *ruler*, in the mold of a weak monarch. He sees the people as something to be manipulated to his own ends. He sees his party as an unruly court to be kept in line. In every society, there is a subculture that pines for an autocratic ruler (http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/) and though this group is a minority, he has been able to exploit Canadian’s current disinterest in politics to give this group the accendency it craves. His interest is in power, and power alone. Your involving Canadians in the political process directly threatened his source of power, the disaffection that allows those want to be ruled to promote someone who is focused on power, and power alone. This is not leadership, this is despotism, and despots do not lead, they rule. BTW, I can hardly wait to read the book!

#23 Fritz on 04.26.09 at 11:42 pm

Garth: You Sir, have balls. Balls, and a deep masochistic streak. I pray the elite don’t set you up to become a pariah. In which case not only you but also your wife and children will become targets of slander, libel, and derision. You are 100% correct. The system is broken. It has been broken for a very long time and people debate whether the last real PM was Pearson, Diefenbaker, St. Laurent or MacKenzie King. Either way, our democracy has been hijacked and anything to maintain this system of disorder has been fervorantly pursued. “Rep by Pop”, elected senate, and the biggest joke: our gun laws set up for public safety as seen in Toronto and the lower mainland. Good luck pal…… On a lighter note….. try the Airfoil ‘Over-Glasses’ Goggles on your scooter. They work very well,are reasonably priced and don’t look like you’ve got a 5 gallon aquarium stuck to the front of your face. Unless you want something you can have a sitz-bath in after your ride …. Oh myopic one !

#24 colin on 04.27.09 at 12:03 am

Garth, it seems as though while not using the words, you’re calling for an end to party solidarity. I understand why you are doing so; I understand the benefits of having a utopian representative democracy (“utopian” as in the elected representatives act as proxies for direct democracy).

My concern is that voter apathy in combination with the reality that it is the squeaky wheel which gets the grease would provide the possibility of misrepresentation of the electorate’s opinion and potentially a decision being rendered in direct opposition to the public interest. Party solidarity was designed to prevent this.

Will anyone else (including Garth) speak to this matter? Can anyone think of another way of representation in which special interest groups are not marginalized? Or am I viewing this all wrong? Isn’t democracy all about the marginalization of the minority/special interest groups?

#25 Munch on 04.27.09 at 12:16 am

Yeah!!!

#26 Davinci on 04.27.09 at 12:32 am

Amen!

#27 Don Bool on 04.27.09 at 12:36 am

#14 Republic_of_Western_Canada on 04.26.09 at 9:06 pm

Republic_of_Western_Canada , one more thing.

That was my expectations when I voted for Harper. Under Harper we,ve jumped from the frying pan into the fire. The man is a liar and a cheat with no moral compass. He out and out lies, he fabricates issues and conceals the truth. He threatens anyone who challenges his idealogy with blackballing and eviction. It,s all about Harper first and the country second. He dicourages good and decent people from staying or entering the political arena. I hope above all hope that the public will finally see this disgrace called Harper and send him packing. The country just can,t afford Harper!

#28 Increasing that 1% on 04.27.09 at 1:20 am

#14, Republic…

The system definitely needs to be changed. It causes problems across the country as well as within the province of Ontario.
—————————————————–
Garth, you must have some thick skin, or are developing it. Seems when someone is attacking you like that you must be on to something.

We need to encourage good leadership, as most people really do behave sheepishly in so many ways.

#29 Epictetus on 04.27.09 at 2:33 am

Would love to hear your thoughts on STV (Single Transferrable Vote) which will be on the BC ballot in May.

In your view, is this a step closer to genuine democracy?

#30 gold bugger on 04.27.09 at 4:37 am

I’m mostly onside with Jo #7 but anybody who thinks RE agents have any influence needs to stop sniffing glue.

Buyers caused the RE bubble. Nobody forced anybody to borrow money. Nobody forced anybody to buy real estate. The fault lies with buyers and buyers alone.

To misunderstand this basic concept is to throw one’s entire argument into disrepute.

Now that the bubble is bursting, politicians need to get out of the way (and out of my wallet) and let things sort out for themselves.

But Garth knows, as does Fisher #6, that people are happy being sheeple. They will bleat and moan until politicians “do something.” And things will invariably get even worse.

#31 wjp on 04.27.09 at 4:59 am

The letter begining this thread is obviously just another party hack spewing venon. By his choice of adjectives, one can see how much in tune he is with the common folk.
The best part is they are still trying to defeat Garth..I find that extemely comical and quite telling of a group of little minds.

#32 David Bakody on 04.27.09 at 6:06 am

Your book is written and in circulation, I know the Harpies will all be silent as Church Mouses wrt book even though they will buy copies most likely at taxpayers expense like most of their adventures into enemy camps. Good luck, the task of course was the writing so do sit back and enjoy whatever comes your way …… I trust it will open many closed minds ….. and to most of us it will only confirm what we knew. Thank you.

#33 john m on 04.27.09 at 6:25 am

LMAO …you certainly have the sheep BBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa ing—good for you Garth! Perhaps rubber boots would be appropriate foot wear while in Ottawa while traveling amongst the muzzled dung-droppers :-)…….ordered your book yesterday and can’t wait to read it.

#34 john m on 04.27.09 at 6:35 am

Jim O’Toole (somewhere in the Maritimes)………BBAAAAaaaaaa lol well Jim “sheeple” O’toole is certainly a stand -up kinda guy from “SOMEWHERE IN THE MARITIMES” …..LOL certainly fits in well with the rest of the herd ………….where ever they are :-)

#35 Kash is King on 04.27.09 at 7:06 am

#7 JO and #8 Coho perhaps this may shed some light on your comments.

We all know about Crown Corporations, ie: Bank of Canada, Royal Canadian Mint, CMHC, CDIC, CBC , EDC,- here’s the Wikipedia definition and list:

Everyone like Coho, like myself up until two days ago, assumes that “The Crown” must ultimately mean “owned by the Queen”.

However, a little simple internet research can challenge that assumption. I will share what I found, but can’t confirm if it’s for real. If it is for real, I find it really messes with what I have considered “Canada”.
It also may explain why no matter who we elect, the agenda never seems to change. To wit, this most recent PM is supposed to be one of the most conservative ones yet; but what do we get? The same old spend spend spend to put the country further in debt (to whom?), and pimping debt for the people. A real conservative would be encouraging people to save, not go further into debt. This point alone made me wonder who has control of our country’s finances.

So, “The Crown”. What is it? It owns the Crown Corporations, right?

Here’s what I found:

Positioned on the north bank of the Thames River, covering an area of 677 acres or one square mile (known as the “wealthiest square mile on earth”), it has enjoyed special rights and privileges that enabled them to achieve a certain level of independence since 1191. In 1215, its citizens received a Charter from King John, granting them the right to annually elect a mayor (known as the Lord Mayor), a tradition that continues today.

Des Griffin, in his book Descent into Slavery, described ‘The City’ as a sovereign state (much like the Vatican), and that since the establishment of the privately owned Bank of England in 1694, this financial center has actually become the last word in England’s national affairs. He contends that the country is run by powers in ‘the City’ and that the throne, the prime minister, and parliament are simply fronts for the real power. E. C. Knuth, in his book Empire of the City, suggests that when the queen enters ‘The City,’ she is subservient to the Lord Mayor (under him, is a committee of 12-14 men, known as ‘The Crown’), because this privately-owned corporation is not subject to the Queen, or the Parliament. The Rothschilds have traditionally chosen the Lord mayor since 1820.

*************************************************************************************************************************************** From here:

Also:

If the above is true (silverbearcafe), then The Crown is as Regal , as much as the Federal Reserve is federal (or a reserve)

#36 Nostradamus jr on 04.27.09 at 7:51 am

With growing world turbulence, I predict that….

Within ten years Canada will no longer exist as we have it today.

Eastern Canada will fall into total political dissaray.

…The ongoing $$$ Handouts to Atlantic Province fisherman, $$$ for Quebec’s prime industry, snow removal and $$$ for Ontario’s “Mosaic Multi Cultural Industry” will finally run dry.

Western Canada will hold a referendrum and vote itself out of Canada.

The ballot will read….Do you support 75% of your tax dollars continue to be spent on Eastern Canadian policy?

A no vote supports Separation from Canada and the creation of a new currency.

…You heard it here first…

#37 Expat in NC on 04.27.09 at 8:02 am

Okay…back to real estate for a second (the only reason I read and enjoy this blog :-)).

I read this article in The Star:

It was a nice change from the usual spin from “expert” realtors. There is mention that renting may make more sense than buying a house, a house is not an investment, but a place to live, prices won’t recover quickly, etc. All the things we usually discuss on this blog are in here…it was a nice change to read something like this in the main stream media (in Canada).

#38 TS on 04.27.09 at 8:24 am

Hi Garth, I’m looking forward to your new book.

I think you elicit emotions in a lot of people for different reasons:

1) You have the guts to stand by your principles. Something that the Harpo conservatives could not bear. As a result, all of their mindless lemming followers trash you constantly…and prove their ignorance daily.

2) You are idealistic, many say, to a fault. I say you are idealistic because that’s what it takes to create change.

3) You aren’t afraid to speak the truth as you see it. To me that’s one of your most redeeming qualities. We have enough ‘spin doctor’ crap in the MSM – uninformed so-called journalists who are easily duped. Following your blog saved my wife and I well over a hundred thousand dollars in our retirement funding….. thanks!

4) You have the guts to be an entrepreneur. Those of us that live this lifestyle understand how tough it can be – and how rewarding doing your own thing also can be. Most of the people who seem to criticize you are tucked away in some corporate B***S*** job that they think is safe. They have never had an original idea in their lives, and could never write a book if their lives depended on it….let alone the numerous books you have over the years. As the old saying goes, “those that can play take the field, those that can’t bitch from the sidelines”.

5) Most people are basically lazy, uninformed, and underneath it all, scared shitless because they have no idea how to take control of their lives…and don’t have the backbone to try. You represent a threat to them because the thought of actually being responsible for themselves is a completely foreign concept.

Those of us that luv ya….luv ya a lot! I would donate to your campaign again to have you back in Ottawa.

Keep blazing a path for all of us… we all need to be informed, self-sustaining, and courageous.

#39 wjp on 04.27.09 at 8:47 am

The new GM plan sure is putting it to the bondholders, and the Federal Government, they want the U.S. Government to equitize their bailout…good luck in ever seeing any of these tax dollars again….once again the taxpayer will get stuck with the bill! Bailouts are lost dollars, period!

#40 mattbg on 04.27.09 at 9:20 am

Even constituent polling is open to interpretation, though. Those Conservative flyers coming in the mail around election time, for example, asked questions so pointed that only partisan people would respond, and so broad that they gave the MP permission to do whatever he felt like doing with the blessing of the people. I am paraphrasing, but some of the questions I saw were along the lines of “do you want your taxes increased to fund wasteful spending?”. Who would say “yes”? Presumably this goes into a machine that justifies doing something based on what the constituents asked for.

And how many times do you hear politicians on TV saying that they’ve been doing door-knocking during their campaign and “people are telling them that…” — and three different politicians in the same riding come up with a contradictory things that they’re being told by the people they talk to!

#41 Bill-Muskoka (NAM) on 04.27.09 at 9:31 am

The bigger the words the more scared shitless they are.

Good job!

#42 Live Within Your Means on 04.27.09 at 9:32 am

I too had to look up some of those words. Jim O’Toole is a ‘tool’ of the harpie mendacious govt. I’ve noticed, of late, in newspapers that allow comments, that harpie’s sheeple are becoming more aggressive and vocal. Could it have anything to do with the recent polls and finally many in the traditional con msm who are starting to see harpie for what he really is.

BTW Garth, I saw your interview yesterday on CBC and thought you held your own. Truly wish we had more people like you who have the courage to ‘speak the truth’. You haven’t saved us $$$, as we realized long ago to ‘live within our means’ but pleased to hear you’ve helped many others. Keep on keeping on. Looking forward to reading your current book.

#43 Madame Guillotine on 04.27.09 at 11:03 am

Mr O’Toole’s comments are pure floccinaucinihilipilification

#44 wellwell on 04.27.09 at 11:11 am

Garth:

The best way to deal with a bloviator like Jim O’Toole (who apparently comes from somewhere) is to follow Diefenbaker’s example. Whenever ‘the Chief’ received that kind of letter, he would send the following reply:

Dear Sir,

This is to inform you that some crackpot is using your name and has recently written to me over your signature putting forward views so eccentric in nature and so much at variance with your usual logical style that the letter could not possibly be from you. I felt I owed it to you to bring this to your attention.

#45 Third Chimp on 04.27.09 at 11:24 am

Garth;
Given your views stated above and the book, I am curious to know your position on proportional representation. After a lifetime of my vote counting for nothing, I am fully committed to electoral system change. Many of the ills you ills you describe can be addressed by a fair electoral system, especially autocratic rule by petulant egocentrics.

I’m 100% in favour. IN BC, vote STV. — Garth

#46 Downwardly Mobile on 04.27.09 at 12:03 pm

#30 Gold Bugger said:

“This country needs to dissolve into city-states. Let the auto workers fend for themselves without the aid of my charity (i.e., taxes). That goes double for fishery workers and forestry workers. And quadruple for farmers, the biggest welfare bums of all.”

Couldn’t agree more on that last point. Then the rest of us will finally be able to eat our gold in peace.

Garth — I too enjoyed your appearance at the Writers’ Festival in Ottawa yesterday. As you made your points, I couldn’t help but notice many in attendance nodding in agreement throughout the room–especially that bit about elected members going to Ottawa to actually *represent* their constituents. Wow, if that’s such a novel idea, then we’re really in trouble.

Kudos for never giving Harper and his goons the satisfaction of seeing the “fear in your eyes”, and for sticking your own neck out again and again for the sheeple.

#47 Got A Watch on 04.27.09 at 1:24 pm

Keep poking the Harpies in the stick with the sharp common sense stick. I voted for Harper, what a mistake that was.

I think the man has total contempt for Canada, since he only seems to go on US TV to be interviewed. Maybe he could just move to the USA, and good riddance.

#14 Republic_of_Western_Canada – don’t be too bitter when the Harpies get slaughtered next election. Whenever the economy goes bad, the voters punish the Party that was in power at the end of the good times. This does not mean they won’t swing back the other way the following election, but I would put the odds of the Harpies winning the next election at about 10% at best. The Liberals won’t have to do anything but smile and wave. Don’t let that get your blood pressure up, it would be the other way around too if Liberals were in power now.

#48 charliegosurf on 04.27.09 at 8:23 pm

K.U.DO.S

to you dude, and BBBBBBBBBBBeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEHHH to the crowds of pissed-off people who just cant understand what freedom and society really means.

sante, cul-sec and cheers to you for having the guts to stand up to these nerdycharacter and evil religious ego-‘s that grazed around Parlie(or no paRLE?)ment Hill.

Karma exist around evry bend of horizon, these foolish herds of hypnotized human cattle will idnavertendly will trump the fenceof lies ant run into the wolf den.

the future is now.

#49 Mathew Gibson on 04.28.09 at 3:45 am

Don’t get too excited about the republic of Western Canada just yet, and for a few very good reasons.

1. Harper is not a western seperatist. Maybe he was once, but he isn’t now. Think he wants to just rule out west when he’s having so much fun on the world stage ruling Canada? Hardly.

2. Western Canada> What do you think that means? BC? BC and Alberta? And Saskatchewan? And Manitoba? Really think Saskatchewan is going to split from Central Canada? Quite apart from the fact that separatism in the ‘west’ has a very very small following, it would be only BC and Alberta.

3. Most importantly, the problem with separatism is that it breeds more separatism (which may not be a bad thing, depending on your perspective). Quebec seperatists have long wrangled with this problem, with the Cree telling them bluntly that they’ll separate too and stick with Canada. Ditto the Eastern Townships. The pattern will be the same out west. Once the lustre of the initial separation wears off, parts of this new republic will want to break away for their own reasons: religious for some (Fully Independant Bountiful), racial for others (Republic of Haida Gwaii), a joining with the US (Vancouver) and a return to Canada (the Mountain Parks).

4. Really think BC and Alberta will be some harmonious union? They will become the Two Solitudes of the West, with provincial loyalties trumping party loyalties.

#50 Dodged-A-Bullit-In Alberta on 04.28.09 at 5:49 am

Greetings: I am afraid I have been a very naughty fellow. Just returned from a trip to Calgary. While there, I went into a large Chapters bookstore, to purchase a copy of “Sheeple”. On one of the front main tables where current sellers and new releases sit, I was unable to find a copy, although “After the Crash” was there along with many other books about Peak Oil and the current economic meltdown. At the customer service desk, I was informed that “Sheeple” was on the back wall in the Canadian Political section. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. Anyway after paying for my copy, I returned to the back shelf, picked up 7 Sheeples and stacked them carefully on the front table, with one standing upright, right next to “After the Crash”. The store is so short staffed, no one even took notice. It sort of made me feel better on the trip home too!!!

#51 Marc on 04.28.09 at 3:08 pm

This STV is confusing to say the least. I think I will decline the referendum ballot again. Reading this columnists opinion, it seems worse then the first past the post system, and gives even more power to political parties.