Road trip

trip21

With my toothbrush, laptop and memory stick all packed, I’m heading out over the next few weeks to do some yakking with Canadians. Part book tour, part speaking gigs, my goal is to help folks gain more of an understanding of the new economic and financial realities, how we got here, and what comes next.

All of the events listed here are free, and all but one are open to the public. If you’re nearby, drop in, as I’d be pleased and honoured to meet you. Some of these events are sponsored by financial advisors, some by real estate companies, some by a mutual fund. All of them understand my comments will be unvarnished and unedited. None of the companies or individuals who are staging these events have  even seen my presentation.

And for that, they must be acknowledged. This is a time for plain speaking. Hope to see you.

January 20, London Ontario

February 18, Listowel Ontario

Financial Seminar
Agricultural Hall,
7 pm
For admission call (519) 291-5316

#1 Colin on 01.20.09 at 10:20 am

No Calgary date Garth? Come on!

This is the very middle of the sinkhole here!

#2 lgre on 01.20.09 at 10:29 am

it would be nice to see you do something in the GTA, any plans for that?

#3 Keith in Calgary on 01.20.09 at 10:37 am

I see you couldn’t get anyone to book you for Calgary eh Garth .

Is it because denial is a river in Alberta ?

#4 Jeremy on 01.20.09 at 10:38 am

Hopefully you’ll be giving a talk in the GTA? I’d be there with bells on.

#5 Kestral on 01.20.09 at 10:44 am

That’s great news Garth, have a great trip!

I just have one question, the London one is tonight (not much notice and it’s still far for a Torontonian) and the next closes one is in February once again far away from the GTA. How about a stop in Toronto for your fans here?

#6 Steve on 01.20.09 at 10:45 am

Garth, does no one want you in Cowtown? There’s a particular absence from your schedule west of the Ontario border and east of British Columbia. I assume that is a temporary oversight. I’m sure there would be a lot of Calgarians who would like to hear you speak. I know I would!

#7 Nicholas P on 01.20.09 at 10:57 am

What about New Brunswick, anything in the works for places like Saint John for example?

You may hear from us soon, stay tuned.

#8 Jado on 01.20.09 at 10:58 am

No Ottawa stop? I would love to attend one of your sessions! How about Montreal at least!

#9 AlbertaGuy on 01.20.09 at 10:58 am

Garth – what no Alberta stops?

#10 George on 01.20.09 at 11:12 am

Hey Garth,
How bout making a left hand turn on your way west and bring it down to Los Angeles. Lots of Canadians here probably eyeballing Canada now that Obama has visions of a selective service for all. What do you think? The roadies can start selling the “Garth Blonde Ambition Tour” shirts in advance. Maybe get you the Hollywood Bowl or Rose Bowl. Everyone can bring their Bic lighters. Or better yet they can bring their generators and hook up some serious lights. BYOG concert. Good luck with the tour! No trashing hotel rooms and midnight arrests with groupies.

#11 Marlene on 01.20.09 at 11:23 am

A Toronto date Garth? I’ll have to drive to London then :(

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaase honour us with your presence in Toronto.

#12 Edmonton on 01.20.09 at 11:26 am

Hey Garth,

Any plans to make a stop in Edmonton?

#13 malbadon on 01.20.09 at 11:28 am

you definitely need to squeeze in a lookie-loo visit to Calgary between the 5th and 12th :)

#14 Jan on 01.20.09 at 11:31 am

no GTA dates?

#15 womp on 01.20.09 at 11:53 am

Just heard this morning that my co-worker’s brother (and 9,999 other people) got laid off in Fort Mac this morning. He was a truck driver for a private oil contracting firm.

Hope they saved some of their oil money.

#16 lightning_kash3 on 01.20.09 at 12:07 pm

Will you consider dropping by Calgary? Please. I have read through GreaterFool and have AfterTheCrash ordered. :)

#17 Al on 01.20.09 at 12:25 pm

Listowel? Why not Palmerston or Wingham?

So invite me. — Garth

#18 Kestral on 01.20.09 at 12:59 pm

Garth, you are officially invited to come to the GTA to shower your wisdom upon us.

#19 Bulls eye on 01.20.09 at 1:00 pm

You’ve got the crowed roaring in Alberta, stage the event – I’ll get media attention.

#20 Marc on 01.20.09 at 1:24 pm

I will hopefully make it to the Vancouver Holiday inn. One bridge is out due to homeless keeping warm under it, and my 1/2 hour commute has turned into 1 1/2 hour commute one way. Should be home in enough time to clean up and run out the door to get to Broadway for 7.

#21 supersocco on 01.20.09 at 1:26 pm

Yay. See you in Vancouver. I wonder how much tix are?

Free. And worth every cent. — Garth

#22 supersocco on 01.20.09 at 1:43 pm

I just got my tix. Can’t wait. btw, did you see this?

Condo-mania returns as buyers seek bargains in Metro Vancouver

#23 Cashking on 01.20.09 at 1:43 pm

I just signed up. Looking forward to hearing your presentation in Vancouver, Garth!

#24 SuburbanSam on 01.20.09 at 3:02 pm

Perhaps when you get back you could do something in the west GTA, say Mississauga,Oakville or Burlington. Forget the big smoke… too scary.

#25 Jeff Smith on 01.20.09 at 3:03 pm

Hey what about Toronto? No show here??

By the way I just saw this in the news.

#26 No Fool.... on 01.20.09 at 3:12 pm

Garth, don’t bother coming to Cowtown.

No one will listen here anyways….everyone’s an arrogant know-it-all cuz they think they’ve made a killing and know what’s up (made a killing on paper, that is).

I was talking to a couple the other week – they own, I rent. They kept insisting, “what are you waiting for? Do you think they’re just going to start giving houses away?”

I said, “well no (to be polite)”, but I really thought “actually, yes, that’s what will happen…..almost.”

#27 joe the investor on 01.20.09 at 3:21 pm

see you in Kelowna

#28 Foreign Investor on 01.20.09 at 3:28 pm

Just read – “Greater Fool” – excellent read.

I will be purchasing “After the Crash” at Chapters in Calgary soon.

I can not make it to any of the presentations….very unfortunate.

Will any of them be available on video through this site or on youtube.com?

#29 Mike in Etown on 01.20.09 at 3:59 pm

Love to see you in Edmonton… I’d even consider the drive to Calgary.

#30 North Vancouver Citizen on 01.20.09 at 4:02 pm

Hey Lucy’s, you got some “splainin to do…(Gordie Howe n Vancouver, dd ,Minigarth, Investx…et all my other friends & fans on this site.

So…how do you’se e’splain this?……

“”Condo-mania returns as buyers seek bargains in Metro Vancouver””

#31 Kanata on 01.20.09 at 4:25 pm

Let me know if you ever want to do one of those presentations via video conferencing or webcast … I’m sure we can figure out a technical solution … this way we can all be graced by your wisdom.

Richard

#32 Colin on 01.20.09 at 4:31 pm

Garth totally called this one…

Lots of suckers left in Van!

#33 go green on 01.20.09 at 4:37 pm

Garth – Look forward to hearing the details re your visit to Halifax on Feb. 16th. Hope you have a great tour.

#34 peter coupland on 01.20.09 at 4:39 pm

easy to explain,there’s always a greater fool!
25% off an inflated price for a particle board condo?fools.

#35 Jeff Smith on 01.20.09 at 4:48 pm

>#30 North Vancouver Citizen on 01.20.09 at 4:02 pm
> Hey Lucy’s, you got some “splainin to do…(Gordie
>Howe n Vancouver, dd ,Minigarth, Investx…et all my
>other friends & fans on this site.

Hey North Vancouver, that’s because the dude that’s running the show Onni is trying to unload at firesale (not!). Its a death reflex kindda thing. Read about him here, we have heard of him:

#36 Ed79 on 01.20.09 at 5:04 pm

#22 supersocco
Onni’s ‘clearance sale’ seems to have done well. Good on them for using the free market to their advantage! Meanwhile I’ll keep building my deposit – no interest in a $340k 2BR box in the sky even if that really is 25% off.

Just put my name down for Vancouver – see some of you on Feb 5th.

#37 Larry on 01.20.09 at 5:29 pm

C’mon to Cowtown Garth, I’ll show up and i’m sure others will too.

#38 Sun Tzu on 01.20.09 at 7:17 pm

I’m driving from Alberta to Kelowna just to see if Bert Chapman has the balls to show up.

#39 unbalanced on 01.20.09 at 7:27 pm

When you coming to WinterPeg (Winnipeg )? Bring a toque and some gauchies ! You’ll need them. Minus 51 below with the wind. Hey, at least there aren’t any mosquitos yet ! Thanks for all the info, very much appreciated.

#40 Kevin on 01.20.09 at 7:36 pm

Garth, see you in Victoria. I’m looking forward to your talk, and I will buy my copy of your book at the event.

#41 Vancouver Archer on 01.20.09 at 8:14 pm

Just received my copy of ‘After the Crash’ in the mail today; thanks for the signed copy :)

Just also signed up today to catch Garth on Feb 5 in Vancouver. Looking forward to meeting “The Man” in person!

Can you believe the condonism ferver in Richmond? Its like these eager beavers are still dancing whilst the rest of the house is burning down around them! Surely those condo slingers will be talking up on this huge marketing success.

#42 buy gold on 01.21.09 at 11:50 am

Garth, How come you not coming to toronto?

Get 200 friends and invite me. — Garth

#43 Dico Reijers on 01.21.09 at 11:38 pm

Garth, you might as well stop in to Charlottetown since you’re pretty much driving past it to get to Halifax. Nothing like a fresh lobster dinner to keep you going!

#44 HalifaxFamily on 01.22.09 at 5:35 am

Have a great tour! I’ll see if I can catch you in Halifax!

#45 Kelowna Gal on 01.22.09 at 5:05 pm

Can’t wait to see you in Kelowna!!!!!!!! I have always enjoyed reading and hearing what you have too say. Have a safe trip :)

#46 Shawn on 01.22.09 at 9:15 pm

Great blog thank you for the daily financial spanking and common sense advice that you are dispensing to is daily, it is needed and enjoyed by many I am sure.

I recently sold my house in Vancovuer in August (thank god) and relocated to St John’s, NL, where although real estate has reached a plateau (for now), is still very reasonably priced in comparision to other major Canadian cities.

I would love to listen to one of your sessions would any of your sponsers ever offer up the option to provide audio conferencing so that the remote islanders like myself could listen in?

Regards
Shawn

#47 Kelowna Gal on 01.27.09 at 8:08 pm

Haven’t bought your new book yet. Was going to buy one at Chapters and decided to ask you if you will be selling your latest book while in Kelowna???? If so, I will buy it when I see you. I know it’s a book tour???? but it’s being put on by a financial company so I wasn’t sure.