No. 3,004

“I started reading your blog in August 2008,” says Brandon, who now requires PTSD therapy. “Ten years later and you’re still posting every day.  It’s a thankless job and you should brag about the fact you’ve been around so long. Why didn’t you have an anniversary blog post?”

Actually, I hadn’t thought it about. So I just looked. Yes, this is post number 3,004. That’s 2.3 million words (or only 1.75 million when you eliminate ‘moister’, ‘horny’ and ‘pooched’.) So far 546,175 comments have been published (not counting six hundred thousand deleted from Smoking Man). Google says 7.3 million sessions happen at GreaterFool each year. Less than 1% of visitors leave a comment, which should make us feel good about humanity. The average time people spend on this pathetic site is three and a half minutes – apparently all they can bear.

This blog started back in 2008 when the detritus of the US housing crash was becoming evident. Actually it began as a shameless promo for my latest book at the time (of the same name), and morphed into something far darker. After a year or so, there was so much to chronicle that five blogs a week were squeezed out. Then six. Finally I added two guest bloggers – fancy-pants portfolio managers at Turner Investments – so now we go seven days a week causing endless mayhem and confusion, just like Donald Trump.

Over this decade a lot of stuff happened. To all of us.

Personally, it’s been ten years of change. The wealth management biz I started in 2010 now employs nine people and is one of the largest practices in North America. That was a shock. Who knew so many folks wanted to escape the seductive clutches of [email protected]? Then I bought a miserable pile of bricks and launched the Belfountain General Store in the country where 16 people now work and Bandit gets free ice cream. Dorothy and I have lived in a few houses over this decade, gutting three of them. And the next project begins in three weeks. Ask me anything about drywall.

Real estate has been in turmoil since the day this blog began. It scared me then, and still does, the way most people overdose on housing. Few of us could have known that governments would pimp property as they have. ‘Emergency’ interest rates after the credit crisis turned into almost ten years of cheap money encouraging massive debt-snofling. That created $2 trillion in household debt, and inflated average homes far beyond the means of average people.

At first politicians did everything they could think of to stimulate borrowing and spending in order to rescue the economy from the brink. Zero down. Forty-year ams. RRSP home loans. First-timer grants, credits and rebates. It worked. Suddenly million-dollar houses were everywhere. So lately elected people – panicked the bubble will explode and eat the economy – have been peddling in reverse. The binge became a boom, then a bubble, and may yet yield a bust. Along the way many families have found windfall gains. Many have taken on unrepayable debt. It is a story still being written. Hence, this blog.

What started solely as a property thing has morphed over the years into a site which talks about investing, economics, taxes, babes and balanced portfolios. The economy’s gyrations over a decade have been profound. For most of this time we were borderline deflationary, living in a low-rate, low-return, low-growth, low-performance world. That all changed about the time Trump appeared (it wasn’t just a coincidence). Now stock markets have shot higher, the cost of living is rising, America has full employment, interest rates are relentlessly spiking and financial investors are doing better than those stuck in real estate. But at the same time, the world has an incredible debt overhang, while a whole new set of dangers has emerged. Canadian politics has drifted inexorably to the left just as the moisters emerged blinking from their parents’ rec rooms. They seem to like taxes. Little dinks.

Well, keeping score on a blog that has published the equivalent of 38 books in the past decade is probably pointless. Read. Don’t read. It’s your choice. Nobody pays me for clicks or eyeballs. You will never find a ‘Real Estate Wealth and Bitcoin Expo’ ad on GreaterFool. Just a lot of boring, repetitious blathering around the same few principles. Here are a few…

Be balanced in everything you do. Love, investing, canine management, house lust, voting NDP.

Do not buy what you cannot afford. Duh.

Be really, really, really careful about borrowing and debt. Watch how your elected leaders act. Do the opposite.

Aggressively avoid taxation, at least until the Mills mature and grow out of it.

Never buy real estate with anyone you haven’t slept with.

And, above all, remember the most precious asset is time. It cannot be borrowed, earned, stolen, banked or bought. Without it, nothing. And now your three and a half minutes are up.

#1 For those about to flop... on 04.02.18 at 6:24 pm

CONFIRMED PINK SNOW…bad day.

CONFIRMED PINK DRAW…good day.

A little bit conflicted how to report this one,maybe I’m getting soft and so I’ll just lay out the numbers,I guess.

The details…

102-5131 Brighouse Way, Richmond

Paid 3.02 July 2015

Sold 3.20 March 2018

And so they got nearly 6% more which should have covered expenses ,but it took them over 2 and a half years to break even and so opportunities lost could possibly be around 200k.

Perhaps the biggest news with this one is while I saw a lot of high end condo’s assessments stay relatively flat or even roll slightly backwards last year ,this one bounced forward considerably and at the end of the day it sold a solid 27.6% less than assessed.

Probably also worth noting that it sold 19.5% less than originally asking.

Not real sure why it got updated do quickly as well,I still have cases from last year pending.

I dunno, look it over.

I’m just a boofhead.

The person with brains is out of the office right now…

Sold on February 11th 2018 for 3.2

102-5131 Brighouse Way, Richmond paid 3.02 July 2015 asking 3.5

Nov 27:$3,988,000
Ju Feb 9: $3,880,000
Change: – 108000.00 -3%

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Feel free to make a donation.

Flop For Fox Fund…

#2 Penny Henny on 04.02.18 at 6:25 pm

The average time people spend on this pathetic site is three and a half minutes – apparently all they can bear.-GT

///////////////

You are selling yourself short Garth (this is not a suck up)
The only reason the average is 3.5 minutes is because some people come here 20 times a day.
Either that or premature something or other

#3 Penny Henny on 04.02.18 at 6:28 pm

Dorothy and I have lived in a few houses over this decade, gutting three of them. And the next project begins in three weeks.-GT

////////////

You live in these places while they are being gutted?
Are you nuts?

#4 Mel on 04.02.18 at 6:30 pm

I usually stay longer, but no comments yet.
I to have be reading here since 2008.

#5 Penny Henny on 04.02.18 at 6:32 pm

Never buy real estate with anyone you haven’t slept with.-GT

//////////////

My dog sleeps in the same bed, does this count?

#6 LivinLarge on 04.02.18 at 6:34 pm

“And, above all, remember the most precious asset is time. It cannot be borrowed, earned, stolen, banked or bought.”….Aaaannnnndddddd, each and every one of us have exactly the same amount of time each year with the exception of our last year.

#7 Camille on 04.02.18 at 6:34 pm

Hi. I bought that book! There was good advice on buying condos. Recently for me, your advice on diversification (CDN, US, International…) was good. Your advice on preferreds took long for me to grasp, but eventually it clicked and is priceless…why was that? Anyway, thanks.

#8 Debtslavecreator on 04.02.18 at 6:42 pm

Unfortunately 99 % of the blame lies with the borrowers who chose out of their own free will to borrow and refinance and with the voters for electing such crooks who continue to loot our young and unborn
On many days I can’t believe I’m living through this as my hobby is macro / financial crisis & panics
We will survive but the rules will changed and most government promises will be reneged on
Paid in Canadian pesos
Much of what Canadians thought to be true will prove false
When left wing brain disease takes over a nation it’s 10-15 years until the inevitable sovereign debt crisis and collapse

#9 paracho on 04.02.18 at 6:45 pm

Thank you for the education .

#10 Your Local Realtor on 04.02.18 at 6:45 pm

Why rent? Housing prices are increasing everywhere around the globe because of industrialization of low income countries, world population growth and global wealth and capital.
In 10 years, house prices will increase by over 1,000% worldwide because of population growth.

#11 For those about to flop... on 04.02.18 at 6:46 pm

CONFIRMED PINK SNOW….and some…

I found enough intrigue in this one to present it,this case has a bit of everything,current owner going for the big cash out ,a confirmation of a loss, and as good a case as any to encapsulate the current casino that is Greater Vancouver real estate.

I’m sure at some stage there was romance and maybe even occasional drug use as well.

Let’s try to deconstruct this one.

As you can see by the recent sales history, this house if the current people trying to sell it could have found someone before the end of March would have had 4 owners in three years.

Since I have been doing this study I have seen many double sale attempts in one year but I vaguely remember doing a post about a house out in Surrey that was going for its 3rd or 4th owner in a little over a year or something ridiculous like that ,condo assignment flipping is a whole different contest.

Sandwiched in-between the run up from which the current owners are now after 65% more than the low looking 2015 number of 573k,someone decided to jump on it for 805k and then 7 months later crystallize a loss of around 80k after expenses if they didn’t go berserk with extracurricular activities.

So after all is said and done the asking is down ,the assessment is up and the meet on some common ground in middle of the playground.

They are still going for a gain of over 20%, so the most likely still fancy their chances after beating down the previous guys.

They will most likely get a peck on the cheek but the previous guys probably thought that as well and got a punch on the beak…

11723 75A AVE DELTA V4C 1J6

Nov 13:$999,888
Mar 29: $948,800
IChange: – 51088.00 -5%

Sales History (last 3 years)

18-Feb-2017 $775,000
18-Jun-2016 $805,000
17-Mar-2015 $573,000

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Feel free to make a donation.

Flop For Fox Fund…

#12 Stan Brooks on 04.02.18 at 6:46 pm

Yep.

Dedicate you time to a normal life in a normal place or to pay a monster mortgage for a cardboard house or a glass condo in the frozen tundra without the added ‘luxury’ of having kids.

Remember, it is a status statement in the country with people with no guts/dicks.

It is all that matters.

#13 dee on 04.02.18 at 6:48 pm

went to the general store today. Had a scoop of espresso ice cream & a scoop of the salted caramel. Wifey had the black cherry. All were very good and the portions were gynormous.

#14 Gasbag Boomer on 04.02.18 at 6:49 pm

Great post, Garth. You’re one of the best that can not only string words into an entertaining blog, but provide blog with great relevance and wisdom.

My thanks to you for sharing your many gifts.

#15 David on 04.02.18 at 6:49 pm

If tonight’s theme is achievements and longevity, a huge shout out to nbc and the Jesus Christ superstar live presentation last night. Excellent. I’m old, so JCS means something. But what was so enjoyable was having two 10 year olds beside me actually watching and totally wrapped up in the production and great songs. For two hours: no mine craft; no YouTube. Asking me questions about what was going on. My greatest achievement so far in 2018 (especially since my investments are doing total shite)

#16 @careeraftschool on 04.02.18 at 6:50 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights with all of us. Congrats on expanding the practice. Good luck on the side hustles.

#17 Stan Brooks on 04.02.18 at 6:51 pm

#18 Millennial Investor on 04.02.18 at 6:57 pm

Hey Garth,
Thank you for the hours of entertainment and financial wisdom you’ve imparted over the past decade. I started reading your blog as a new grad and now, I’m a (somewhat) financially literate young professional in my early 30s. Despite your warnings about real estate, I’ve purchased properties when the numbers made sense (currently own 3 properties). Ive also built up a well diversified portfolio (~700k) and paid down / locked in my mortgages (<200k) as per your advice. Thank you for teaching me to dump my high MER mutual funds / avoid overpriced real estate… These days, my biological clock is ticking veryyyyy loudly and I'm glad I have some level of financial freedom (thanks to you) so I can downshift my career and focus on the next stage of life.

#19 Nonplused on 04.02.18 at 6:57 pm

Congratulations on 10 years of the best financial advice money can buy! And thanks! It was worth every penny!

You did make a bit of money off me though because I did buy 2 books (Greater Fool and Money Road, wasn’t too interested in the political ones) and some gear before the border folks shut down your online store. So there I paid something!

#20 Ustabe on 04.02.18 at 7:02 pm

A couple more:

Don’t measure yourself with someone else’s ruler

If you have enough, build a larger table not a higher fence.

If everyone around you is wrong or an idiot or an asshole…find a mirror.

#21 earthboundmisfit on 04.02.18 at 7:05 pm

There are a few worse fates than “the seductive clutches of [email protected]”. ([email protected] ….mine is drop dead gorgeous, but she still doesn’t touch my stash) Investors Group comes to mind.

#22 Paul on 04.02.18 at 7:06 pm

Garth have you ever done a piece on MICs? Would love to hear your thoughts on them….

#23 Paul on 04.02.18 at 7:10 pm

When I search your blog I get a post titled dippernomics and one called puppynomics.

#24 dakkie on 04.02.18 at 7:11 pm

#25 Honey Dripper on 04.02.18 at 7:12 pm

Yes, be balanced in everything you do. I learned it here first. Thank you.

#26 Zapstrap on 04.02.18 at 7:12 pm

I just hope Watcha Minnie has had a waldorf salad tonight …

#27 Former Fool on 04.02.18 at 7:14 pm

#10 Your Local Realtor on 04.02.18 at 6:45 pm

You of course have completed a thorough data analysis, and built up an adequate financial model in order to confidently dispense this advice to clients, correct?

Obviously, you aren’t spewing any “always a good time to buy” BS in order to get a commission.

*eyeroll*

#28 Pepito on 04.02.18 at 7:22 pm

And, above all, remember the most precious asset is time.- Garth
______________________

Disagree. The most precious is health. Then freedom. Without health there is no freedom, and without either, time is a miserable prison.

#29 Red Deer Rob (now in Windsor) on 04.02.18 at 7:27 pm

I remember when you posted pictures of Amazons. Can’t do that anymore, sjw’s will get you now.

#30 Gravy Train on 04.02.18 at 7:29 pm

#18 Millennial Investor on 04.02.18 at 6:57 pm
“These days, my biological clock is ticking very loudly….”

So—are you married, sweety? :)

#31 Realtors are not needed on 04.02.18 at 7:30 pm

Realtors won’t exist in another decade.

It is like finding an agent to go to the shopping mall with and hold your hand while telling you the price for what is up for sale is available for you to purchase and I will sign off the papers at the till and take a commission.

A good accountant and lawyer still makes sense probably for a bit longer until artificial intelligence catches up to replace these people as well.

Just say no to a realtor. All of the information that they hide from you is on the Internet. Save yourself the commission.

#32 Spectacle on 04.02.18 at 7:34 pm

Wow,

Just realized I’m flying in to Toronto Tuesday .

This has epic potential for a trip to the Belfountain General Store! Put a trip to the Roxbury road trip to shame.

Love a tour of the renovations if that is possible.
Cheers to the Blog post Mr Turner!

Amazing

#33 crossbordershopper on 04.02.18 at 7:36 pm

and never short yourself or the USA.

#34 Greg on 04.02.18 at 7:36 pm

Thanks Garth for all you do.

Love, your #1 Moister.

Greg

#35 roryguy on 04.02.18 at 7:38 pm

Jeez …that means I have spent 3004 x 3.5 = 10,514 min which is = to 175.23 hours which is …holy crap …7.3 days … and I wonder where the time goes.

#36 BobC on 04.02.18 at 7:38 pm

Why won’t you open a branch in the U.S.? Seems to me you have some extra time on Sunday nights.

#37 Stephen Punwasi on 04.02.18 at 7:39 pm

This blog gives sound, logic financial advice and strategy that even paid accountants don’t offer.

So, good job there.

In terms of real estate advice – not so much, especially in BC real estate that is linked to global money laundering.

Although, we are getting close to the day where BC real estate will fully collapse with big price declines across the board.

The banks are being briefed by the BC Provincial government and the public will be the last to know through observation.

#38 Bear Market on 04.02.18 at 7:43 pm

A bear market is when the price of an investment falls over time. It occurs when prices drop 20 percent or more from their 52-week high.

Lowered expectaaaaaaaations. Agent #345632

#39 Ex Pat Canuck on 04.02.18 at 7:43 pm

Well even though you basically write the same four blog posts over and over again (real estate, investment, the socialists are taking over, and dogs) I will say that you are good entertainment and a good source of info as we plan to repatriate back to Canada in the next few years. Good on ya, Garth!

#40 Whatcha Minnie on 04.02.18 at 7:49 pm

I normally spread out my work over the weekend so that’s one thing. Sometimes there is something going on; a fair, a concert or a festival. If the weather is good I will have a look. I’m not so interested in hanging out anymore but if I’m going to travel, I normally start on a Friday. Or taking a shorter trip over the weekend to see something new. Go out to have a dinner but that could happen any day in the week.

#41 Popeye the Sailor Man on 04.02.18 at 7:50 pm

I have been reading this blog it since 2008

3004 posts X 5Min a post (I’m a slow reader) = 250Hrs maybe double reading and posting comments.

In the last 10 years our lives have changed and our net worth is much greater using some of Garths advice.

So time well spent.

#42 Bill Grable on 04.02.18 at 7:52 pm

Mr. Turner – thank you for 10 years of amazing writing.

Todays message, is the one one that sticks with me.

TIME. This whole thing goes by blindingly fast. It ain’t coming back.

Growing old is not for the faint of heart.

#43 Ladner and Tsawwasen on 04.02.18 at 7:52 pm

For whatever reason, Ladner and Tsawwasen prices are wayyyyyyyyyyyy down.

Bloodbath on the SFD front.

Anyone who cashed out their garbage house for 1.4M in 2016 is looking like a genius.

Looks to be down around 400k on average. Dropping about 2.5% month over month. Only dropping by about $806 per day, based on the month over month numbers. No big deal.

#44 Elcaminokid on 04.02.18 at 7:52 pm

Young millenials outside of TO…..”I needs me a new big ole pick up for all the goods Ima spending on this gut out reno… Gas and Interest rates is cheap as always and forever yeah? Next…I might get me a gun…just too be cool like my buds! Lets drink! Yeehaa!”

#45 Flamed out in Kitchener on 04.02.18 at 7:56 pm

Thanks for 10 years of real common sense Garth; something our elected officials sorely lack.

I still think you would have made an awesome PM, and taken this country to greater heights. Hey, there’s still time.

Will make our way to the Belfountain again this year to say hi. Make sure you have some pumpkin spice ice cream ( you ran out last time we were there) … although the cookies n’ cream was great!

All the best for the next 10 years.

#46 the Jaguar on 04.02.18 at 7:57 pm

I am going to guess the next ‘project’ that needs to be gutted is the building next to the ancient stone wall where Bandit lay a week or so ago. A building on the current property destined to become some kind of a guest house, studio/office, or even a gallery. Maybe all three. Not your garden variety construction project. The Jaguar likes to use telepathic powers and leap tall buildings in a single bound.

#47 tccontrarian on 04.02.18 at 7:58 pm

“Never confuse gambling with investing. Bitcoins, cryptos, condos, junior oil stocks, Tesla, bullion, MICs – all bad news.” GT
————————————————————
What are MIC’s?

Glad you left out Marijuana! I’m participating in this sector in a sizeable way. The key to ALL investing: know the odds!
Tesla was a great idea when <$50 (now a short)
Even Apple was a 'speculation' at some point – so it's really a question of timing.
Most people I know (the ones that are basically financially illiterate), would not consider a Vancouver condo a 'speculative asset', even at present valuations.

And 'bullion' is not for trading – it's 'insurance'. One day I'm quite certain everyone will wish they owned some.
My guess? Less than 5 years.

TCC

ps. I enjoy the blog BTW – it's like having a pulse of the RE market. Between the blog and comments, one gets a good spread of relevant info. Oh, and the pictures! I've often laughed out loud! So, for all the above – thanks!

#48 Linda on 04.02.18 at 7:59 pm

Blaming the government for choices we made is an easy out. If I borrow funds I can’t pay back to get something I want, that’s on me.

That also goes for stuff I need. If I didn’t have the foresight to set aside funds when times were good I can’t blame the government for that either. Nothing like a little financial umbrella when it rains!

#49 Sask to AB on 04.02.18 at 8:06 pm

Thank you Garth for sharing your wisdom and insight.
We are very grateful.

#50 SunShowers on 04.02.18 at 8:09 pm

I actually saw your book at my in-laws place awhile back.

They couldn’t remember reading it, but it was an interesting coincidence.

#51 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.02.18 at 8:13 pm

@#26 Zapstrap.
“I just hope Watcha Minnie has had a waldorf salad tonight …
=======

I may not be Whatcha Minnie but I had Waldorf Salad LAST night

#52 Kelowna Okanagan on 04.02.18 at 8:14 pm

Spec tax effect being felt immediate in Kelowna.

All the talk of home owners in the area.

Just viewed a house that dropped 80K on their price in the last 2 weeks. Low 700s now.

The streets are quiet without the money laundering of 2015, 2016, 2017.

Price drop adjustments on homes going into spring market at this time of year is not a good sign.

Wait until winter and with a possible rate hike.

Good lord! Pray for BC.

#53 NoName on 04.02.18 at 8:16 pm

interesting red

when vaping gives our kids popcorn lungs weed and facebook will finish them of…

Several school districts in New Jersey have recently adopted policies requiring any student caught with an e-cigarette to be drug tested, because the devices can be used to smoke marijuana.

“It has … substantively contributed to the level of acrimony and dissension and conflict, if you will, within the public. Hate speech is certainly of course a part of that. As far as the Myanmar situation is concerned, social media is Facebook, and Facebook is social media,”.

#54 Ace Goodheart on 04.02.18 at 8:18 pm

So “The Donald” just erased billions of net worth from the portfolios of some of the wealthiest people on the planet. Mostly Americans of course.

The Chinese, as predicted, have retaliated, and now we have a trade war.

As this situation ricochetes around the markets, look for industries associated with agriculture and health sciences to be most badly effected. Following this in will succession will be the shipping industry (Liberia will be devastated) and this will be followed by the junk bond funders who grant credit to all these good folks.

The US economy is about to contract. Why? All the profits are going to governments through tariffs and duty rather than to dividends and balance sheets.

But for the Trumpster? Well he just decided Amazon is bad and needs to be attacked.

I wonder who is going to fund his next campaign. Not America’s billionaire classes that is for sure. Time for a red neck fund raiser.

#55 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.02.18 at 8:19 pm

10 YEARS and over 3000 posts !
Unreal.
Without adveritisements OR a fee….

Well done El Capitan.

And the massaged message STILL isnt sinking in for some…..Greaterfools and their money……

Thanks for the free advise Garth….its saved me a lot of money over time.

#56 NotLegalAdvice on 04.02.18 at 8:22 pm

I started reading this blog in 2008, back when I was only 17 years old. Since then I’ve obtained an undergraduate degree, law degree, and a bunch of certificates on nonsense that I’ll never use. One thing has stayed true, I’ve always kept up to date with this blog. It wasn’t until recently that I started commenting.

FOMO is a real thing. It wasn’t until recently that I felt the housing market FOMO. Maybe because I finally have a secured job and feel that I can actually afford something (probably very unlikely, I can’t afford anything at the current market, but soon!).

However, Garth has saved me from making some foolish mistakes (investing a lot in bitcoin, buying a condo, and quite recently, stopped me from buying a house). I said “investing a lot in bitcoin” because I did invest a few hundred just to live a little.

The best advice I’ve heard on this blog may be “Never buy real estate with anyone you haven’t slept with.” – G.T.

#57 Long-Time Lurker on 04.02.18 at 8:26 pm

Thank you Garth for continuing your blog! You’re a glutton for punishment!

#58 Tremblant 110 on 04.02.18 at 8:27 pm

Thank you for your wise words over the years. Unfortunately even with a lot reading your blog it is far from enough. Your advice is sound and if followed would save a lot from financial grieve. As a retired doc I bought into Bogle years ago. I read virtually all your blogs. Thanks again and the price is right !

#59 NV Landlord NO More on 04.02.18 at 8:28 pm

Thank you Garth for all your advice over the years. I used to wonder why all the repetition, but now understand some of us take a while for advice to sink in…

Now, I feel something is missing in my day, if I haven’t read your blog.
Blessings to you this Easter Week.

#60 meslippery on 04.02.18 at 8:31 pm

They seem to like taxes. Little dinks.
————-
I,am thinking the little dinks dont pay income tax.
20 to 25 hours a [email protected] $14.00 yep no tax and a lot of employers have 2 people working 20hrs. each.
If 1 person worked 6 days a week 10 hrs a day that would be 49k and income taxes would apply, then they might say no fair. To that point hard work is not rewarded.

#61 Canadian Real Estate Collapses by 2020 on 04.02.18 at 8:34 pm

Lame country all fixated on real estate is about to be reminded about something that hasn’t happened in three decades.

If Canada was a passenger plane, you would notice the oxygen masks deployed right now while sitting in your seat.

This after the seat belt sign turned on, blinking.

Ding, ding.

#62 Izzo on 04.02.18 at 8:41 pm

Quite an accomplishment Garth. I might disagree with you on what government should or shouldn’t be doing but no one can take the amazing success that you accomplished. Thanks for the insight on a daily basis it’s addictive.

#63 237 5311 CEDARBRIDGE WAY, Richmond on 04.02.18 at 8:42 pm

Right in the middle of money laundering central.

Can’t remember the last time I saw prices like this.

Maybe 2011/2012?

#64 AGuyInVancouver on 04.02.18 at 8:52 pm

#43 Ladner and Tsawwasen on 04.02.18 at 7:52 pm
For whatever reason, Ladner and Tsawwasen prices are wayyyyyyyyyyyy down.

Bloodbath on the SFD front.

_ _ _
At the end of the big SFH frenzy in Vancouver, HAM discovered Tsawassen. However, having bought they then discovered how far out away(physically and mentally) it is from Vancouver and that Christy Clarke wasn’t going to get a chance to build her massive overkill bridge making the commute to Tsawassen easier. Case closed.

#65 Re: 237 5311 CEDARBRIDGE WAY, Richmond on 04.02.18 at 8:53 pm

I know anything below 1M in Richmond these days might seem like a steal, but this is a total rip off with a suspicious sales history.

You out there CRA? Didn’t think so.

Built in 2016.

Sold three times since 2016. Going for a fourth.

Nothing fishy about this one at all.

Looks like they are going in increments of 50k increases for each sell.

Maybe they figured out 50k was not enough for a profit. Let’s try a 100K increase this time.

Calling David Eby. Reporting period over. Let’s get some boots on the ground and action going.

#66 Greg on 04.02.18 at 9:16 pm

Sometimes some of the best things only take 3.5 minutes. Just sayin’

#67 peterpoppez on 04.02.18 at 9:18 pm

Looking to add some maple preferred here for a 5-10 year hold. What is preferable(sorry couldn’t resist), CPD or ZPR? Read the blog a few weeks back by Ryan (or the other guy) which mentioned a perfect preferred holding but didn’t name it?

#68 Lost...but not leased on 04.02.18 at 9:27 pm

600,000 DELETES re: Smoking Man?

Is that a:

(i) liberal

(ii) conservative or

(iii) NDP

estimate ?

#69 peterpoppez on 04.02.18 at 9:27 pm

Had you been a millenkial, you would have monetized the site. Maybe making the comments section a clickbait advertising exercise. (advice free of charge)

Why? – Garth

#70 peterpoppez on 04.02.18 at 9:28 pm

that be millennial though millenkial also has a nice ring to it

#71 45north on 04.02.18 at 9:28 pm

I was reading thehousingbubbleblog.com which dealt with the collapse of American real estate. I felt that that Canada would follow immediately. But it didn’t. Canada was behind the US – debt levels had not risen to US levels nor had real estate prices. The US pulled out all the stops in order to keep financial order – the US Fed dropped interest rates from 5% to 0% and the Bank of Canada followed. In response, Canadian debt levels rose higher than the 2008 US levels and Canadian real estate prices rose too. Canadians enjoyed bigger houses and bigger debt – it was a free ride. In 2015, after seven years of zero interest rate, the US Fed started to raise interest rates and the Bank of Canada followed because it had to.

Things came to a head with Home Capital Group. The episode showed what the Canadian banks really thought – they didn’t want it. The picture became clear – interest rates were going up and real estate prices were going down. In order to protect the banks, the Federal Regulator imposed tougher mortgage qualifications. To protect themselves the banks withdrew credit.

Politicians in Ontario and BC looked with envy on these high finances and did not want to be left out. They made speeches and enacted legislation to address high real estate prices. They resemble nothing so much as the duck in Peter and the Wolf: “Soon afterwards “a big, grey wolf” does indeed come out of the forest. The cat quickly climbs into a tree, but the duck, who has jumped out of the pond, is chased, overtaken, and swallowed by the wolf.”

At any rate, the free ride is over.

Debtslavecreator: The dumb luck this country has had for years is coming to an end

#72 Tony on 04.02.18 at 9:30 pm

Re: #18 Millennial Investor on 04.02.18 at 6:57 pm

The mistake all the Canadian Millennials make is they think in the moment never ahead in time.

#73 Dolce Vita on 04.02.18 at 9:37 pm

#10 Your Local Realtor

You are proof that RE is indeed local.

Here in Italy, RE does one thing and one thing only, keep going down.

I would amend your “increasing everywhere around the globe” to something representative of your environs, wherever that is.

#74 Cory in Shangalila on 04.02.18 at 9:38 pm

This blog track record since 2008 is a reflection of how dedicated Garth is. We could all take a lesson on perseverance from him.

The fact that he has started and keeps two successful businesses (investment and general store) also indicate something about him – he has what it takes and did what it takes to succeed.

I am just an average guy who started a small business in 2015 and been reading this blog for a couple years.

Thanks to Garth’s constant gearing on about investing in stocks I have been pushed toward that side of the brain that is able to risk money in the stock market. Nothing but dividend paying, blue chip stocks for me though.

Congratulations Garth on 10 years of this blog. It is excellent.

#75 Pump and Dump on 04.02.18 at 9:39 pm

Have a question for anyone in the know… A guy I went to school with back in the day was given a penalty by the SEC for a penny stock pump and dump scheme (https://www.pressreader.com/canada/stockwatch-daily/20170406/281479276267279).

Does the SEC have any means to collect from a non-US citizen?

#76 Dolce Vita on 04.02.18 at 9:40 pm

#28 Pepito

I agree, then again, this is not a Health Blog.

#77 Fish on 04.02.18 at 9:41 pm

@#66
granted, how true

#78 Barb on 04.02.18 at 9:44 pm

Thank you GT for your blog.

It’s educational and insightful, often poignant, honest and caring…yes, caring. You care about total strangers.
That in itself is an enigma in the blogsphere.

Look forward to hearing about the new project’s drywall.

#79 CalgaryCarGuy on 04.02.18 at 9:48 pm

Re #52 Kelowna Okanagan

Good lord! Pray for BC.

——————————————————————

HaHaHa! Sorry pal. Not a chance. B.C. is making their bed. They really need to lay in it for a while. A long while.

#80 Doug t on 04.02.18 at 9:50 pm

Keep it real Garth

RATM

#81 Dolce Vita on 04.02.18 at 9:55 pm

Happy 3,004th.

As for the Financial Math tutoring of your Blog, that’s great but nothing that I didn’t already know except for your ETF admonitions, which I like your way of thinking.

One reason that I read your Blog every day is that I love all the sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll comments and the acolytes that attracts.

One of the few places left on the Internet where the SJW, virtue signaling, holier than thou, do not know dung from clay, Moisters get a well deserved verbal bullocking and are forced to retreat to their safe place, typically Twit-ter.

#82 Danny on 04.02.18 at 10:04 pm

Congratulations Garth.
I don’t know how you do it.
Is it shear “mission driven”?

Just been reading Nelson Mandela’s book….”Long Walk to Freedom”…..there, was definitely, some drive for exposing the truth.

Your mission is not as risky as Mandela’s…..but still you bring out the truth when it comes to the guts of The Real Estate Market.

I agree “That created $2 trillion in household debt, and inflated average homes far beyond the means of average people.”…..it will bite us all where it hurts sometime….in the future….the sooner the better or it will hurt more people.

And yet Condo sellers keep raising their sale price….Greed cloud is alive and just moved from single family to high rise units.

#83 Doug in London on 04.02.18 at 10:14 pm

3004 posts, you say? Wow, it looks like this blog is now in the fourth millennium. Since I started following this blog in 2010 I’ve learned a lot about investing, economics, and some about the wonderful world of politics. Keep up the good work Garth, and more recently Doug and Ryan.

As for the comments they’re a mix of interesting, funny, and rubbish. Not that the rubbish is all bad, when I read a lot of complaining about how some sector has done poorly, like REITs in 2013 and preferred share ETFs in 2015, it’s a sure sign to buy more.

#84 Smoking Man on 04.02.18 at 10:18 pm

600k deleted if I could only remember one of them.

Its been a fun 10 years. Don’t think you’ll be seeing a lot more deleted from me. My body can’t take the truth syrum much more. I either go all in or stop altogether. No middle ground from what I see.

#85 Dave on 04.02.18 at 10:33 pm

Thanks for all that you do

#86 Lady Jane on 04.02.18 at 10:36 pm

Love you Garth. I could dribble on all day about how I love your sense of humour, your sage advice and this wonderful blog that I thankfully and fortuitously stumbled upon in 2008, but don’t want to overdo the fawning. Thank you for the amazing ride and keep on, keeping on.

#87 John in Mtl on 04.02.18 at 10:37 pm

You have been a part of my daily life for nearly 8 years now, sir Garth. Merci for all the fun times I’ve had reading your witty writing, merci for all the education you gave me at an unbeatable price (free!), merci for sticking around even when the going got tough on this blog.

Thanks for your kindness, your time, your wisdom, your sense of humour and for being a voice of sanity in this oft crazy world.

How’s that for a suck-up LOL.

But I mean every word of it!

Live long and prosper \./

#88 Ontario's Left Coast on 04.02.18 at 10:39 pm

Congratulations on the milestone, Garth. Thanks so much for all you do!

#89 Bytor the Snow Dog on 04.02.18 at 11:04 pm

So many posts.

So little time.

Congrats.

#90 Dirt digger on 04.02.18 at 11:34 pm

Best post yet!

#91 Risktopia on 04.02.18 at 11:40 pm

The most precious asset is time. So how do you know if you’re wasting it?

Lists. It comes down to lists of what you like and dislike.

#92 Island Life on 04.02.18 at 11:41 pm

#52 Kelowna Okanagan on 04.02.18 at 8:14 pm
Spec tax effect being felt immediate in Kelowna.

All the talk of home owners in the area.

The streets are quiet without the money laundering of 2015, 2016, 2017.

Wait until winter and with a possible rate hike.

Good lord! Pray for BC.
——————————

Well, just the opposite in communites just outside Victoria and the capital region that is hit by the foreign buyers tax and spec tax.

The slow down had started months ago; houses were languishing, even quality houses; price drops were slowly happening; every house was selling below ask. All confirmed my stats and realtors.

In the last two weeks, the market has been of fire with every quality house selling within days and now with multiple offers and bully bids. And guess how realtors are advertising the houses in these communities – yes, with big bold statements on the MLS ads that the Spec Tax and Foreign Buyers Tax does not apply. Gee, a coincidence…

The foreign buyers tax and spec tax should be applied throughout BC. Capital will continue to go those jurisdictions without the tax – pure and simple. This was predictable and its already happening.

B20 is a nothing burger. In a few months, there will be some other federal or provincial regulations designed to optically tap down the market – which will be heralded as the market killer. Alas, it will have the same effect as the last decade of federal and provincial measures – nothing….

#93 Andrew Woburn on 04.02.18 at 11:44 pm

#54 Ace Goodheart on 04.02.18 at 8:18 pm

================

Might not want to invite the US hog farmers who have just had huge tariffs put on their Chinese exports.

If I were Xi Ping I would certainly punish the Red State country boys who love the Donald and seem to believe he will bring them nothing but prosperity. Never start a trade war you don’t know how to finish.

#94 IMHO on 04.02.18 at 11:53 pm

Congrat’s Garth.

#95 Andrew Woburn on 04.03.18 at 12:03 am

Although Facebook is taking a lot of stick for not controlling fake news, I think both FB and Amazon have a bigger problem. They fail to control fake sellers either because they can’t or because they are profiting from them.

My wife is a savvy shopper but she got caught in a scam on an Amazon page which offered a “free” cosmetic sample for which she had only had to pay a nominal shipping charge. It was a ploy to get her credit card. All of a sudden she had charges on her card of $600 because she apparently hadn’t read the fine print that said the company would be sending her monthly allotments of cosmetics until she cancelled the order. Trouble was the info at the bottom of the Amazon page did not actually disclose this inconvenient fact even in very tiny print. I have tried to pursue the seller but they appear to have a rotating roster of company names.

I immediately cancelled her credit card but Amazon said it wasn’t their product or their advertisement so tough luck. Technically maybe yes, but it appeared on their website. Do I believe they didn’t charge for the space. Yeah, right.

I discovered that thousands of people have been caught in these preauthorized payment scams. My advice is to be really careful and never use a credit card on line. I use PayPal and you can cut off a preauthorized payment in a heart beat.

I find it really disgusting that Amazon allows these creepy resellers anywhere near their site but Facebook is doing it too. Beware.

– Ad Scammers Need Suckers, and Facebook Helps Find Them

#96 Lisa on 04.03.18 at 12:05 am

#30, Gravy Train:
“Are you married, sweetie? :)”

Watch out! LOL!!! You don’t know what you’ll get, unless you don’t care. You might even get an SJW knock at your door for that comment! HA! #YOUTOO, next.
—————————————–
Yes Garth, thank you for your advice. I’ve spent many a night reading these posts and I always enjoy them. I even enjoy the comments! :) There are some great characters on here!
—————————————
I have come to the conclusion, after lots of observation, that people my age and younger do not value freedom. They want a house and safety, in spite of losing mobility and freedom of expression. It’s almost as if they want to live in a village-like setting where they sell their goods and services to the locals as the peasants used to back in the good old days, all the while having everyone’s thoughts scrutinized and probed for any possible trace of individualism. They want jobs, but they don’t seem to want to “work” in any traditional sense of the word. To use one of their favourite words, this is “unsustainable” as there is only a limited need for bloggers, craft brewers, and “documentary filmmakers”. How they manage to pay these monster mortgages every month is beyond me.
Garth, you can keep harping on about freedom and mobility, but not many are listening, unfortunately. They are too busy sipping on fair trade coffee while driving their Prius to Whole Foods, virtue-signaling all the way.
I’m listening! :) And so is Smoking Man.. ;)

#97 Andrew Woburn on 04.03.18 at 12:06 am

The times we live in are getting interestinger.

– Airbnb for cars is here. And the rental car giants are not happy.

#98 Fortune500 on 04.03.18 at 12:17 am

Happy Anniversary Garth and thank you for all of the advice. Your message of balance in life (including real estate) and being an educated contrarian have benefited us greatly. We have been reading since 2009. Well ahead of our peers at this stage … and still rent. Imagine that.

#99 AACI Homedog on 04.03.18 at 12:23 am

We can talk babes on here ? I assumed those were what smoking man’s deletes were about.

#100 Deplorable dude on 04.03.18 at 12:45 am

#93 Andrew Woburn..”Never start a trade war you don’t know how to finish”

Au contraire…hardly a trade war….$50b vs $3B…guess eho has all the leverage?

By the way….did you know China owns the largest US pork manufacturer…..really think they are going to tariff their own products…or not import them?

Trump and his killer businessmen cabinet have this all worked out….

#101 jefferson on 04.03.18 at 12:49 am

Hey Garth, daily reader for about four years.. , sold the old albatross family home with two siblings last year at near peak value.., proceeds invested in a balanced portfolio and now happily renting a brand new never-lived in semi-detached..many thanks for your advice.

#102 Interstellar Old Yeller on 04.03.18 at 12:52 am

Congratulations on ten years, Garth! Will you ever host another talk/blog dog love-in? Somewhere in the blog archives I saw that years and years ago you had one out in Mississauga (alas, before I became a reader!)

#103 where's The Money Guido" on 04.03.18 at 12:53 am

Just found out last week that Coast Capital Savings here in BC, in addition to trying to become federal and lowering deposit insurance to a lowly $100k instead of the $1 million that the BC gov’t covers under CUDIC, that they have foisted upon me a money manager software program that is run out of country, even though I explicitly told them not to.
So, the bank that throws out ads in BC that they aren’t like the “banks” is sure looking and acting like a bank.
I made a complaint, just got news back that they don’t have any phone record of my opting out. I phoned them as soon as they sent me a brochure on their employing this manager and giving “members” a choice to opt out. They took the manager off my account but the info is already offshore, so they got what they wanted out of me.
I went to them back in 2009 after getting screwed over by Vancity CU because they actually showed they took an interest in their members. In that time they have morphed into an uncaring cesspool, guided by their hiring of former OSFI and BC Hydro directors-lawyers. And we know how these entities are screwing the public.
I guess I can expect my offshore info being used to screw me over somehow. I wonder how many credit cards with my info are being used in another part of the world. Despicable company or should I say BANK, because they have no scruples anymore evidenced in my previous posts.

#104 L on 04.03.18 at 1:10 am

Enjoy reading your blog every night & the comments that follow. Thanks.

#105 Smoking Man on 04.03.18 at 1:30 am

When diversity and inclusion bites you in the ass.

Start a business. But do it in the USA. Canada is so doomed. SJW entering the big corps. Bahaha.
Even DM knows it. Finaly.

Why he doesn’t love me is still a mystery.

The truth from empty bottles of wisdom.

#106 Smoking Man on 04.03.18 at 1:53 am

Life is chaos. Your pooped out into an Ocean. You swim to an island on a fault line. Some times it turns into a mountain. Our times in a sink hole back to a breast stroke.

Do you have tools to deal with this random alogorithum.

If not Jack Daniels knumbs the pain of sharks taking away a limb or two.

I love being a cast away.

#107 NEVER GIVE UP on 04.03.18 at 2:55 am

Yeah, Trade wars are easy to win.
China will win it!
All they have to do is attack Trumps base jobs and its an easy win.
Trump cannot hurt a communist country with control over the media.

#108 jane24 on 04.03.18 at 3:36 am

Another boring note of thanks Garth. I have followed you since the early 1980s and you ran your RE and financial advice column in the Toronto Sun. Thank you. Always lived by your advice, always frustrated that I cannot get the next generation to take your advice as they already know everything apparently.

Always frustrated too as a retired teacher at the number of other dogs who don’t know the difference in meaning between the different words their, there and they’re.
Or while I am whining the difference between the two words your and you’re. Even maybe the three words with different meaning that are to, too and two. Maybe you should do a grammar blog help us ex-teachers out. Whine over.

Hey 73 Dolce Vita I live in the part of Italy where prices are actually going up. Not Rome, not Milan but a little hill town called Irsina, population 4000 in the wilds of non-tourist Basilicata an hour from anywhere at all. We brought cheap for the dolce vita same as you and suddenly find ourselves in a hot spot for global English speaking RE investment! The borga (old town) has residents from GB, Belgium, NA, NZ, Russia to name but a few and they restore the medieval homes to magazine quality level. We didn’t and live in our crumbling palazzo with joy. The high point last summer was an American multi multi millionaire buying the huge wreak of the local manor house to restore.

Media crews now in the pizza place quite frequently.
Hit https://video.repubblica.it/edizione/bari/irsina-il-nuovo-paradiso-dei-pensionati-stranieri-qui-da-tutto-il-mondo-per-godersi-il-paesaggio/276250/276831?ref=search. For the latest media report on this strange development.

#109 Waiverless on 04.03.18 at 3:39 am

#183 For those about to flop…

You have an email address we can forward you info to Flop? Love your posts and I can share some info now and again.

#110 Howard on 04.03.18 at 5:54 am

Garth, here’s one you may want to keep your eye on.

42 CLIFFCREST DR, Toronto, Ontario M1M2K3

Scarborough bungalow.

Apparently it was purchased last year during peak house for $860K in need of total renovation.

Renovations completed (judge for yourself whether they’re sufficient), it was listed in February for $1.26 million.

No takers.

Was just relisted for $1.1 million.

Considering the $860K + renovations costs, wonder if the specuvestor will break even on this?

#111 Victor V on 04.03.18 at 7:31 am

Millennials behind surge in home buying intentions (with a little help from family): poll

One third of Canadians say they are very likely or somewhat likely to buy a home in the next two years — an increase of seven points from last year and the highest level since 2010, according to the bank’s survey of 2,093 Canadians conducted by Ipsos.

Millennials showed the strongest intention to buy, with 50 per cent of those aged between 18 and 34 saying they were very or somewhat likely to purchase within the next couple of years.

#112 Catalyst on 04.03.18 at 7:49 am

Congrats. You are a modern day saint. I have grown to enjoy the mix in styles added by your Ferrari driving crew too.

#113 dharma bum on 04.03.18 at 8:25 am

“What started solely as a property thing has morphed over the years into a site which talks about investing, economics, taxes, babes and balanced portfolios.” – Garth
——————————————————————–

Don’t forget your Abs and Harley Davidsons!

#114 crowdedelevatorfartz on 04.03.18 at 8:34 am

@#104 jane24
“Maybe you should do a grammar blog help us ex-teachers out. Whine over.”
++++++
So sorry the great unwashed bore, boar or bore you.
Your, (you’re) comment today should go down in the annals of “one upmanship” for its incessant bragging.
“Another boring note of thanks”( was that “thanks” or a slag at all the people “thanking”?)
“You’ve followed Garth since the 1980’s”( one would assume in the current vein (vain?) of thought insinuating …longer than ANYONE here).
“A retired teacher”( enjoying that fat, garaunteed, defict spending,
Ontario Teachers Pension Plan one assumes)
“You own property in the ONLY place in Italy where it is increasing in value” ( because you’re so smart or lucky?)

You’ve lived in Britain too long Ms. 24 .
The condescending, superior attitude perculiar to a great number of the English…..is rubbing off.

Just curious, when Brexit hits next year and the EU changes the rules, will you have to carry a passport again to travel?
Will medical services in Italy be the same as England or will you have to pay?
Will Italy start taxing you as a “foreign owner”?
Hopefully these questions didnt “boar” you.

Ciao!

#115 Howard on 04.03.18 at 8:35 am

You thought the CBC was an unceasing stream of SJW propaganda before. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Prepare for endless coverage of the fake “gender pay gap” and automatic crucifixion of any man accused of inappropriate behaviour by a jilted lover seeking revenge.

Just because she’s female? – Garth

#116 maxx on 04.03.18 at 8:54 am

“…above all, remember the most precious asset is time. It cannot be borrowed, earned, stolen, banked or bought. Without it, nothing.”

Something most of us realize far too late in life. It really hit home when I no longer needed to work for a living and finally had time to truly engage in living my own life and not pushing someone else’s agenda with a game of catch-up on weekends. I still work, but at our own business, and that is a whole different and wonderful ball game.

“And now your three and a half minutes are up.”

The silent earthquake we all get when this beautiful ride of life is over. An incalculable shock by any metric.

We can’t buy more time, but we can buy that ticket to a beautiful plateau from which to observe life and decide on the next course.

Amazing what life looks like when we buy our way out of obligatory labour.

#117 Russ on 04.03.18 at 9:00 am

Mel on 04.02.18 at 6:30 pm

I usually stay longer, but no comments yet.
I to have be reading here since 2008.
———————————————

Hey Garth,

Do you keep stat on the number of people who comment that they don’t comment?

Cheers, R

About 0.9% of visitors leave a comment. – Garth

#118 Victor V on 04.03.18 at 9:20 am

The majority (84 per cent) of young Canadians said they think buying a home is a “very good” or “good” investment. And nearly one in 10 respondents in this age group even said they would buy a home without seeing it in person.

#119 Hana on 04.03.18 at 9:22 am

I discovered your blog five years ago and became addicted to it right away. I only posted few comments but never missed a single post.
Thank you Garth! You helped me a lot with your advice.
I am happy where I am financially now and mostly thanks to you.

#120 jane24 on 04.03.18 at 9:37 am

#121 SWL1976 on 04.03.18 at 9:42 am

Congrats on 3,004

Awesome work, and thanks for everything. Between this blog, the ice cream shop and Turner Investments, you are a true social justice warrior. The type that the copy and paste Sbux crowd and the Kathleen Wynne wannabes can’t comprehend.

Thanks again for all that you do and next time we are out that way I look forward to some ice cream

Scott

#122 Bytor the Snow Dog on 04.03.18 at 9:45 am

#113 dharma bum on 04.03.18 at 8:25 am sez:

——————————————————————–
Don’t forget your Abs and Harley Davidsons!
—————————————————-

I may be blaspheming (look it up Jane) but Garth didn’t you drop the Harley (heh) for a Honda Goldwing or something?

VTX 1300. It actually goes. – Garth

#123 Be Realistic on 04.03.18 at 9:48 am

#117 Hey Garth,

Do you keep stat on the number of people who comment that they don’t comment?

Cheers, R

About 0.9% of visitors leave a comment. – Garth

——————————————————————-

We are the 0.9%!

Time is the most valuable asset indeed. I always crnge when I see those that sacrifice their family lives for the sake of “climbing the corporate ladder” and/or paying off that mega home.

#124 ADC on 04.03.18 at 10:04 am

Financial wisdom is something not to be undervalued. Reading your blog is rich in it and provides this cautious soul with the sagesse that comes from prudence, experience and education. While I may fall into that ‘Moister’ category (being a 30 something), living vicariously, exercising temperance and understanding that there are others out there that know way more than I do (and should listen to what they say, at least!) is part of why I read your ‘blatherings’.
Keep up the good work Garth!

#125 Dups on 04.03.18 at 10:24 am

Hi Garth, are you going to use any Green Glue and 5/8’s drywall in your latest drywall project?

#126 Sue on 04.03.18 at 10:30 am

Just re read your first post. 5 comments! You’ve come a long way. I found your blog searching for something like ‘why are interest rates so low’ or ‘are we in a housing bubble’ no one was talking about it and it was such a relief to read here exactly what I felt. I also underestimated how long it would take, and never understood why interest rates are so low for so long. Thank you Garth for ‘talking me down’ when things didnt seem right, they still dont, but maybe thats what happens with a little more age and knowledge. Your words help me hear my gut a little louder, probably more cautious than I should be, but comfortable with my lack of risk in this wacky world. Thank you !!

#127 Tbone on 04.03.18 at 10:39 am

#118 Victor

I saw that article about people buying homes from pictures without actually doing a site visit .
Quite a trusting bunch . Lol

You may want to know if power lines are running a few feet over your roof
Or if that big green transformer is on your front lawn.

There are so many things that you dont see in the pics . I guess this bunch is only interested in granite counters and back splashes and don’t really know what to look for.

#128 Smoking Man on 04.03.18 at 10:51 am

Well this can’t be good for T2 the left eating each outher.

David Suzuki.

“I’m going to be much more outspoken in the coming election cycle. Trudeau is a liar,” Suzuki says. “For me, that’s the charge. He’s an out-and-out liar. I don’t think he deserves a second chance.”

#129 Penny Henny on 04.03.18 at 10:54 am

Hey Garth you know what is a scary thought.
Let’s say it takes you 30 minutes to bang out a blog, and then another 30 minutes spent moderating the comments every day. So 1 hour a day x 3000 posts = 3000hrs

40 hours per week being the average full time job means that it has taken 1.5 years of full time labour.

I don’t even want to know what Emma Zaun thinks.

#130 Penny Henny on 04.03.18 at 10:56 am

#117 Russ on 04.03.18 at 9:00 am

Hey Garth,

Do you keep stat on the number of people who comment that they don’t comment?

Cheers, R

About 0.9% of visitors leave a comment. – Garth

///////////////////////

Hey I’m finally a 1 % er

#131 PastThePeak on 04.03.18 at 11:06 am

Congratulations and thanks Garth. An entertaining blog with a good mixture of wit, advice, and education.

How you stomach reading/approving every comment posted here is beyond me…hope you have a good bot helping out.

#132 PastThePeak on 04.03.18 at 11:11 am

#95 Andrew Woburn on 04.03.18 at 12:03 am
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: Amazon – yes, there are many issues that plague Amazon that have stayed beneath the “general public” radar so far. However, like FB, that may change in a rapid way at some point.

You hit on one – the scams – and another is enabling counterfeiting. Lots of stories of entrepreneurs selling a new, patented product through Amazon, only to have some “non-US” company sell the exact same product at 1/5th the price after about 6 months. Amazon never addresses the issue. Many of these entrepreneurs stop selling through Amazon because of this, but the damage is done.

And yes, Amazon (and FB) are quite well aware of this issues but have not done anything about it because it is making them money.

#133 Be Realistic on 04.03.18 at 11:14 am

I forgot to mention that I was tying up some financial loose ends at my Big Bank the other day (don’t worry, they only hold my mortgage).

We got to talking about the housing market and large amounts of debt people have taken on. The financial advisor told me that any mortgage around 600-700K isn’t bad.

You are richer (and have less debt) than you think! SMH.

#134 For those about to flop... on 04.03.18 at 11:20 am

I don’t think the guys over at howmuch are going to challenge Mr 3000 anytime soon but here is their latest instalment…

“How Much Income You Need to Afford the Average Home in Every State in 2018

The housing market has not only recovered its pre-recession levels, but some observers are actually starting to worry about yet another housing bubble. Housing prices are on the rise, thanks in large part to extremely tight inventory, so it’s worth asking: are potential home buyers getting priced out of the market? The answer depends on where they live and how much money they make.

We collected average home prices for every state from Zillow which we then plugged into amortgage calculator to figure out monthly payments. Remember, mortgage payments consist of both the principal and the interest for the loan. The interest rate we used varied from 4 to 5% in each state, depending on the market. The lower the interest rate, the lower the monthly payment. To keep things simple, we assumed buyers could contribute a 10% down payment. Another thing to keep in mind is that financial advisors commonly recommend the total cost of housing take up no more than 30% of gross income (the amount before taxes, retirement savings, etc.). Using this rule as our benchmark, we calculated the minimum salary required to afford the average home in each state.

Top Five Places Where You Need the Highest Salaries to Afford the Average Home

1. Hawaii: $153,520 for a house worth $610,000

2. Washington, DC: $138,440 for a house worth $549,000

3. California: $120,120 for a house worth $499,900

4. Massachusetts: $101,320 for a house worth $419,900

5. Colorado: $100,200 for a house worth $415,000

Top Five Places Where You Need the Lowest Salaries to Afford the Average Home

1. West Virginia: $38,320 for a house worth $149,500

2. Ohio: $38,400 for a house worth $149,900

3. Michigan: $40,800 for a house worth $160,000

4. Arkansas: $41,040 for a house worth $161,000

5. Missouri: $42,200 for a house worth $165,900

Our map creates a quick snapshot of housing affordability across the United States. There are several pockets in which only the upper middle class and above can afford to own even the average home, most notably across the West and in the Northeast. There are only two states west of the Mississippi River where a worker with an annual salary under $40,000 can afford a mid-level home: Missouri and Oklahoma. Colorado stands out as the only landlocked state requiring a significant amount of income ($100,200), thanks in large part to the housing market around Denver.

Homes tend to be more affordable in the eastern half of the country, with a notable pocket of “green” (less expensive) states located in the upper Midwest. The North is generally more affordable than the South and the typical home is significantly easier to buy in places like Michigan or Ohio than in Louisiana or Arkansas. Additionally, our map indicates that workers can more easily afford homes in the East than in the West, which is surprising given how much more land is available out West. It is important to note that there are certainly deep pockets of poverty in all of these places, which suggests that our map obscures the inequality behind averages.

The best takeaway from our map is that housing remains affordable in large swaths of the country, even though there will always be places like California and New York where there is simply too much demand for the available inventory. Thankfully, that doesn’t mean that buying a home is suddenly out of reach for average Americans in Ohio or Mississippi, for example.”

#135 For those about to flop... on 04.03.18 at 11:45 am

#109 Waiverless on 04.03.18 at 3:39 am
#183 For those about to flop…

//////////////////////

Hey Waiverless,thanks for the encouragement.

Probably done over 3000 Pink Snow posts myself and maybe over 6000 b-grade comments.

Still waiting for someone to put up the Blowhard Billboard,showing total number of posts of commentators.

The last time I saw it ,I was stalking the top 5 but Joking Man was about 5 years worth of posts ahead.

There are three ways you can contact me.

a)Just put the information up in the comments section and I’ll try to take it to the next level when I get the chance.If someone takes the time to pass on some information,I try to follow it through as what I do is not perfect ,but most people seem to agree it is better than nothing.

b)Simply email it to Garth and he will forward it to me ,no problems, he gets the read everything in the end anyway.

c)You can walk around Vancouver asking random people if they are Flop…

#136 Newcomer on 04.03.18 at 11:47 am

#120 jane24 on 04.03.18 at 9:37 am
…Sky News here in England has just done a segment on human job losses due to automation and artificial intelligence. …
———-

Such stories have been run every five to ten years since about 1750. It’s pretty easy to guess which jobs will be lost to a new technology but it’s very hard to imagine which jobs will be created. Over all that time, doing things more efficiently has never resulted in overall economic loss. Demand for newer and better things never stops.

#137 Ogopogo on 04.03.18 at 12:00 pm

Congrats and sincere thanks are in order, Garth. Thanks to your sage counsel and witty, barbed commentary over the years I have amassed a modest fortune in a dividend-spewing portfolio, debt-free, and happily renting (technically, being *paid* handsomely to living for free in) a condo in downtown Kelowna.

I can only imagine the countless souls helped by this blog who’ve never so much as posted a single comment. Even our much-mocked realtor-trolls who come on here deserve to be acknowledged for giving us the gift of laughter.

This blog is a Canadian treasure.

#138 Waiverless on 04.03.18 at 12:20 pm

Hey flop… The Princess Street house in New West sold for 1.15. so they def took a loss on it.

#139 For those about to flop... on 04.03.18 at 12:33 pm

Maybe Stormy Daniels can spank Bob Rennie with the latest effort from Forbes…

“According to the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, single detached homes in Vancouver (on a local currency basis) have risen from approximately $400K CAD to $1.75 million CAD since 2002. That’s a 337% increase in 15 years. With incredibly fast rising prices, a large portion of the population is engaged in real estate brokerage, real estate development, construction, renovations, and everything that goes along with that. The echoes of Phoenix, Las Vegas, and San Diego from 2006 cannot be ignored.”

#140 Ace Goodheart on 04.03.18 at 12:33 pm

RE: #120 jane24 on 04.03.18 at 9:37 am

“Hey guys off on a past topic here. Sky News here in England has just done a segment on human job losses due to automation and artificial intelligence. They estimated that up in the Midlands, our Ontario like manufacturing hub, 31% of current jobs will be gone shortly to non-tax paying robots with no new jobs to replace them. Food for thought.”

Are there still manufacturing jobs in the UK? I had thought Margaret Thatcher had already taken care of that long ago (isn’t the Austin Cooper Mini now made by BMW?)

I remember a “factory tour” through the UK with all of the abandoned, rotting plants sitting around decaying, following the Thatcher era. I guess things have improved since then?

#141 IHCTD9 on 04.03.18 at 12:51 pm

“Ask me anything about drywall.”
_________

Does installing it suck? :)

#142 Game On Van on 04.03.18 at 12:58 pm

Vancouver Real Estate Prices Still Climbing

I guess the masses did not get the memo that sales are supposed to be stalling and prices declining. Even with B20 and new provincial tax measures, its still game on for BC and Vancouver real estate.

A decade later, and prices are still rising…

#143 IHCTD9 on 04.03.18 at 12:59 pm

#136 Newcomer on 04.03.18 at 11:47 am
#120 jane24 on 04.03.18 at 9:37 am
———-

___________________________________

It’s a little different this time. Now we have machines that can replicate themselves, are smarter than humans, and do a better job than humans.

IMHO, we might be seeing the beginnings of the future elimination of human labour. Not sure how that’s going to work out, but I think technological progress will make it happen eventually.

“Tea, Earl Grey, Hot…”

#144 Martin on 04.03.18 at 1:00 pm

> Be balanced in everything you do.

You could just post that everyday, and nothing else would matter.

#145 Victor V on 04.03.18 at 1:11 pm

Interest rate hikes are going to pinch this province hardest — and it’s not who you think it is

A 1 percentage point increase in interest rates would add $1,200 ($940) in annual debt-service costs to the average Alberta household, compared with $1,100 in British Columbia and $1,000 in Ontario, Hogue said. Households in the rest of the country would see debt-service costs rise $800 or less.

Canada’s household debt levels, among the highest in the developed world, are taking centre stage after the central bank lifted borrowing costs and governments imposed restrictions on mortgage credit, making it more expensive to service existing liabilities and harder to refinance. Tighter conditions may crimp Canada’s economy, which has relied on consumer spending and gains in real estate for growth over the past several years.

The Bank of Canada will probably raise its benchmark rate to 1.75 per cent by the end of this year, from 1.25 per cent now, according to the median of 16 forecasts in a Bloomberg survey of economists. The next decision is April 18 in Ottawa.

#146 A J on 04.03.18 at 1:28 pm

Thank you for all you do. The end of your blog post reminded me of this quote –

“Every day is a bank account, and time is our currency. No one is rich, no one is poor, we all have 24 hours each.”

Also, thank you for the life lessons. I’m a millennial, and obviously we don’t have the best rep. with money management. But, we also get bombarded with pressure from many angles. This is especially true when it comes to housing. My family went from “you need to buy a house to build equity” and”condos are a bad investment” to “well, if that’s all you can afford, you should buy one”. It’s a constant bombardment of pressure from the older generation to buy instead of renting. I cannot, no matter how much I try, get it through their heads why I’d rather rent. Not even telling them that I’m saving money and thinking of starting my own business sways them. It’s full on zombie level. And I feel like my generation is often pressured into bad financial decisions, based on advice from an older generation who doesn’t understand how much times have changed, and how expensive everything really is. I can pay for things with cash, my friends pay with credit. But yet, they’re better off because they own their houses, apparently. The struggle and pressure are real. But please, be patient with us. We’re figuring it out. And I don’t want to pay any more taxes thanks. NO MORE. I don’t want to pay for my neighbours childcare and prescriptions. I may be a Liberal, but to a point. I won’t vote for Doug Ford, but enough is enough with debt!! (Sorry, that was quite the rant lol.)

#147 For those about to flop... on 04.03.18 at 2:13 pm

#138 Waiverless on 04.03.18 at 12:20 pm

/////////////////////////

Boy Waiverless,you weren’t messing around,straight down the road on the information highway!

O.k ,so if they paid 1.17 and sold for 1.15 ,then my rough and ready calculations tell me after you add in the rest of the expenses and a couple of percent each year for opportunities lost then a 125k poke in the eye is not an unreasonable conclusion.

I am glad you reached out to me because all along I have been trying to encourage people to share information instead of bellyaching about certain situations.

What they do with the information is their problem,but at least they will be more informed than the average person in the street.

Thanks for the assistance and as always I will re-visit this case in a few months and present it as CONFIRMED PINK SNOW.

Gary Smith played his part as well by drawing my attention to this house.

Don’t look around for help,you ARE the help if you choose.

I will try to put up a few more recent sales in a separate post and if you have the time you can apply the finishing touch…

215 Princess St,New Westminster paid1.17 June 2016 ask 1.25

Sold in Feb 2015 at 765,000
Sold in Jun 2016 at 1,172,000

#148 For those about to flop... on 04.03.18 at 2:36 pm

Hey Waiverless,here are some more recent sales.

I’m sure some of them worked out o.k for the flippers but let’s see what happened if you can spare some time.

I believe the information is best served up fresh as possible,but I prefer to have someone else verify it as win lose or draw the passing of information is the most important aspect of this process…

1315 SOBALL Street, Coquitlam paid 1.33 ass 1.38 asking 1.53
Sold on March 3 2018

Sold on March 8th 2018

1585 Dansey Avenue, Coquitlam paid 1.17 June 2016 ass 1.23 asking 1.27

3569 KING EDWARD AVE W VANCOUVER paid 2.6 April 2016 ass 2.72 now asking 2.65 sold for?

13697 Malabar Avenue, Surrey paid 1.32 August 2016 ass1.17 asking 1.18 sold for?

6438 Marine Drive, West Vancouver paid 1.28 January 2017 ass 1.26m asking 1.38 sold for?

27 8051 Ash Street, Richmond paid 993k March 2016 asking 969k sold for ?

Sold on March 11 2018 for 1.32 according to Vanrentor. Pink Snow.

493 Shannon Way, Delta paid 1.62 March 2016 ass 1.3 now asking 1.35

#149 Newcomer on 04.03.18 at 2:43 pm

#143 IHCTD9 on 04.03.18 at 12:59 pm

It’s a little different this time.
—–

That’s not a phrase that has had a lot of long-term success.

#150 paul on 04.03.18 at 2:45 pm

#146 A J on 04.03.18 at 1:28 pm
—————————————————————-
Yes by all means don’t vote for Doug Ford.
You better learn to like paying because if Kathy gets in you will pay !!

#151 Entrepreneur on 04.03.18 at 3:34 pm

Thanks and cheers for an outstanding blog, good job!

When this blog was shut down this morning it was like where to I get my GT fix like coffee in the morning, need that daily rational potion.

Also would like to give thanks to the bloggers and variety of comments and videos.

Before the T2 was elected I remember saying that the Liberals are like a two-headed snake, say one thing but mean another. BC had Liberals that treated us the same, which the Federal Liberals disclaim as different than the BC Liberals, to distance themselves to win the election. Not different, the same.

Now the Fed. Liberals want to bring in the National Carbon Tax like BC Liberals did in BC. Last call for where did BC Carbon Tax money go to and why not for green energy? And if not to green energy then what is the point of taxing us?

And thank goodness Grand Chief Phillip is speaking up and the truth! Time up for liars, #128 SM (will the real SM stand up).

#152 A J on 04.03.18 at 3:43 pm

#150 paul

The Ford family is a mess. If Conservatives had of picked ANY OTHER person as leader, they would of had my vote. I’ll never vote for a Ford. I won’t be voting Liberal either. Guess it’s NDP for me. Sorry.

#153 Entrepreneur on 04.03.18 at 3:55 pm

I think we have reached a point (and probably beyond with money being replaced with debt) where humans/mankind have to step back and revaluate the correct solution(s).

Time to replace those mega projects like Site C dam and pay respect for humanity and the structure of earth, less invasion. Cost, we lose one way so I pick close it down. But replace the workers with a green job. But, but where are the jobs? I am sure BC Liberals have it all figured out or do they?

BTW, some bloggers comment with one huge paragraph, hard on the eyes and would be nice if they break it up with several paragraphs.

#154 Where's The Money Guido? on 04.03.18 at 3:56 pm

More info for flop:
Maple Ridge BC property went on market 13 days ago and already have a price reduction even though only $20k.
Only a couple showings/tire kickers…

#155 Rating of Comments on 04.03.18 at 4:50 pm

In accordance with 20/80 principle the majority of the comments are badly written and have an info of questionable value while minority comments are valuable indeed.

Since you (or your assistant) pre-screen the comments anyway, would it be possible to add rating for each comment on 1 to 5 scale?, where:

1 – Deleted Comment
2 – Low Value Comment
3 – Mediocre Comment
4 – Good Comment
5 – Excellent Comment

The rating would help to save comments reading time.
It also would be great if the comments can be sorted based on the Turner Rating.

#156 LivinLarge on 04.03.18 at 4:50 pm

“Lots of stories of entrepreneurs selling a new, patented product through Amazon, only to have some “non-US” company sell the exact same product at 1/5th the price after about 6 months.”…another fact sure but how is this Amazon’s fault in any way? Might as well blame FexEx or USPS. Or are you suggesting that Amazon should be monitoring all items sold through them and proactively policing the sales?

Do you have a patent? I do and all a patent gives you is a right to sue a producer who copies your intellectual property.

So if you’re dead set against the over reach of governments then don’t expect businesses to do the courts’ work.

#157 Guy in Calgary on 04.03.18 at 5:04 pm

#72 Tony on 04.02.18 at 9:30 pm
Re: #18 Millennial Investor on 04.02.18 at 6:57 pm

—————————————————————

Oh come on that’s every young person ever, not just millenials.

#158 TheDood on 04.03.18 at 5:20 pm

#146 A J on 04.03.18 at 1:28 pm

LOL! The typical Canadian family argument….

“Why are you renting? Buy a house. Get into massive debt like the rest of us, then you can call yourself a home owner!!”

Whoop de f____n do!

Stay the course and stick to your guns. Over the long term, you will be far better off. There has never been a worse time to “invest” in RE in Canada. If your family doesn’t get it, then so be it. Our extended family “owners” have similar marketing blitz for family “renters” – buy buy buy! Why are you renting? I don’t get too mixed up in the argument, but often pose a question – Would you rather have a 6 figure portfolio earning returns year over year? Or would you rather have a house? Most younger people can’t afford both! Building a significant nest egg while younger provides you with a lot of options, flexibility, and peace of mind that will ensure a high quality of life most will never have, especially those who go into massive life long debt. Stay away from debt and keep investing, you’ve chosen the correct path. Tell the family “owners” – move along, nothing to see here.

#159 LivinLarge on 04.03.18 at 5:28 pm

“Oh come on that’s every young person ever, not just millenials.”. Kudos Guy. Soooooo true.

The apparantly high proportion of grumpy old goats with the time to read and comment here every day seem to get a thrill out of seeing their thoughts in print on “da Interweb”. Fearless Leader’s distaste of Mills seems to get them out of their lounge chairs and TV dinners as well.

#160 NoName on 04.03.18 at 5:34 pm

#155 Rating of Comments on 04.03.18 at 4:50 pm

your comment rating is #3.

#161 Entrepreneur on 04.03.18 at 5:55 pm

The comment section has a few comedians as well, a chuckle here and there.

And we can’t help coming here as GT reels us in and is good at it.

#162 Reynolds531 on 04.03.18 at 6:03 pm

156 Living large

So if they are copying your design and shipping straight from China how much recourse do you have? NONE.

Amazon is facilitator. They should be policing that. Maybe impossible but as long as they get a cut….they should get sued. You sure can’t fly to China and enforce your rights!

#163 maxx on 04.03.18 at 6:34 pm

#143 IHCTD9 on 04.03.18 at 12:59 pm

“Perhaps not too far down the road, all that humanity needs and wants will be supplied so cheaply, that consumerism will become meaningless. Maybe we’ll all have a replicator and just tell it what’s for dinner.

“Tea, Earl Grey, Hot…””

Let’s not forget the holodeck! ;-)

#164 Whimp on 04.03.18 at 7:57 pm

I’m ready to quit the second, once in a lifetime, secure government job, because I can’t afford to live in the town I work. It absolutely disgusts me what this country has come to. If you have a full time job, everyone wants to take your money (and job) In BC it’s simply too expensive to live, I’m embrassed to say I’m Canadian, the next Greece where nobody can afford to buy and you get persecuted if you rent, and not only called an idiot, but priced out of the rental market, by greedy landlords using air B&B. Going to be homeless again, awesome! guess I’ll just go on wellfare, seems to be plenty of help for bums that don’t have a job. It’s only a matter of time until people here get sqeezed too far and go absolutely postal, prepare to see the same events that are happening in the states, in Canada

#165 buttercup on 04.03.18 at 9:04 pm

Congrats on The 3,004 Garth! More so, on the fortitude to moderate the steerage section!! ;)

Most free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, here on the Internet. This blog is the exception to the rule. The number of long-time followers commenting here speaks volumes. You have a way with words that brings your topics to life, engaging your readers, both the wise and not-so-much alike. The comments are sometimes a source of interesting ideas and direct experiences given in the same helpful vein as that presented by the blog, so a thanks also to those who share links to interesting items I would otherwise never come across. Lots of humour to enjoy also, not to mention the crazy photos.

Your blog is certainly inspirational and educational to many, a true Canadian treasure!

#166 LivinLarge on 04.03.18 at 11:32 pm

“Amazon is facilitator. They should be policing that.”…well then, that’s precisely where we diverge. Amazon is a retail channel and how might they go about policing the abuse of intelectual property rights? Would they set up a research and testing facility to evaluate all complaints of intelectual property infringement? One of those already exists…civil courts.

Don’t get me wrong, I abhor the rampant process of copying but I also abhor the USPTO for granting patents simply based on a “first to file” basis but it is what it is. A patent is just a liscense of exclusivity that you/me must enforce via the courts where patent is honored.

It’s unfortunate but it the way it is.

#167 Atrate on 04.04.18 at 9:12 am

“And, above all, remember the most precious asset is time. It cannot be borrowed, earned, stolen, banked or bought. Without it, nothing.”

Truer words were never spoken.

Proud to have been with you since near the beginning, and very satisfied with everything ☺️

#168 Ogopogo on 04.04.18 at 11:30 am

Music to my eyes, even though I haven’t lived in Hogtown for over a decade:

“Toronto home prices see biggest drop in almost 30 years: March sales down 40% from a year ago, the lowest since 2009”

How many realtors need fresh underwear after reading this headline?