Alternatives

cat-shirt
DOUG By Guest Blogger Doug Rowat

It’s New Year’s Eve and you’re probably knee-deep in the bubbly or soon will be, so I’m gonna keep it light. No heavy discussion of Trump’s policies, no big year-end recap with grand economic and market outlooks for 2017, and no tearful farewells to all the celebrities we’ve lost this year. Rather, we’ll take heart that even though Trump wants to start a nuclear arms race, there’s no truth to the rumour that the nuclear launch code was simplified to 1-2-3-4-5 for his benefit. And we’ll also be pleased to remember that even though the Grim Reaper ran wild on the entertainment industry this year, the fact that Keith Richards escaped the Reaper’s clutches only proves that Keef was never meant to die.

So, keeping with the upbeat mood, I’m going to talk about comic books.

I’ve read and collected comics since grade school. I still do. However, it became apparent in the late 90s that there was also investment potential here. Tapping into our childhood nostalgia, Hollywood started to release more and more comic book–related films (see chart). And, usually, they were hits. The value of comic books increased steadily as well, culminating in 2014 when a 1938 Action Comics #1, the comic book that first featured Superman, sold for a record US$3.2 million on Ebay. Rather nice appreciation on a 10-cent cover price. I grew my own collection over time, storing the more valuable ones and occasionally selling ones that I thought had peaked in value. Now my collection is mostly gone, but, overall, I did quite well.

Comic Book Films: Top-10 Box Office

doug-1

US$3.2 mln: 2014 Ebay Auction
doug-2
Source: Box Office Mojo, Turner Investments. Denotes North American box office.

Naturally, I’m not recommending that you invest in comic books as this is a very specific and personal interest, but the point is that there’s nothing wrong with having a small sleeve (perhaps 2–3%) of your overall investment portfolio held in something non-traditional. Perhaps you collect wine, scotch, antiques, vintage cars or motorcycles, artwork, coins or stamps, vinyl records, classic movie posters, Coca-Cola collectibles or sports memorabilia. What’s important is 1) it’s enjoyable and remains so, and 2) you constantly educate yourself and purchase carefully, thus increasing the odds that your collection actually appreciates.

Traditional portfolio managers are often dismissive of investors who pursue hobbies in the hope of making a profit. I’m not one of them. Indeed your collection might fail miserably as an investment, but, then again, it might not. There’s a reason why Antiques Roadshow is so popular. In the meantime, collecting can teach you to trust your instincts and increase your risk tolerance. I guarantee that if you pursue an interest long enough, eventually you’ll be presented with the opportunity to pay a sizeable (perhaps uncomfortable) amount of money for an item without being entirely certain it will appreciate. This is good training for investing in capital markets. However, like traditional investing, keep your collection diversified (e.g., don’t own one comic) and, until you’re completely familiar with your chosen subject, stick to the ‘blue chips’ (in my case, Superman, Batman, X-Men and Spiderman). And one of the nicest things about a personal collection that makes it superior to any more traditional investment: you can display it.

‘Nuff said and Happy New Year.

$      $      $

Briefly, let me also provide a year-end wrap-up for Canadian preferred shares. I posted a preferred share update on the blog in October noting the impressive recovery for preferreds in 2016; however, I also highlighted that while the improvement in the oil price and increased institutional investor interest had significantly aided preferred share prices, we were still waiting on movement in Government of Canada (GoC) 5-year bond yields (recall that most Canadian preferred shares are rate-resets, which tend to benefit when bond yields rise). Well, since end-October, we’ve finally seen the upside move in the GoC 5-year yield that we were hoping for: the yield has jumped from 0.70% to roughly 1.15%—a huge move in such a short time. Canadian preferred shares, on a total return basis, have now advanced 7% y-t-d and are up more than 26% from their January lows.

Doug Rowat,FCSI® is Portfolio Manager with Turner Investments and Senior Vice President, Private Client Group, Raymond James Ltd.

#1 For those about to flop... on 12.31.16 at 1:23 pm

Happy New Year ,Robax…

#2 Bdwy sktn on 12.31.16 at 1:26 pm

Happy new year to all (except the climate disaster crazies)

#3 Randy Cross on 12.31.16 at 1:26 pm

About 70% of ginger cats are male.

#4 sally hazbeen on 12.31.16 at 1:28 pm

Oh snap. Garth just tipped the market.

The housing top, must … for sure … be in now. The dreaded “comic book to housing value” indicator has finally showed up.

As predicted when this sorry blog first sprayed ink my near mint edition of Captain Canada is now probably worth more than my house. Time to sell the abode.

Curses.

#5 Randy Cross on 12.31.16 at 1:28 pm

#6 For those about to flop... on 12.31.16 at 1:36 pm

Bram on 12.31.16 at 11:05 am
#63 assessments are posted on 12.30.16 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
I got hit by +26.6% change.
I wonder if it is above avg, if so, more taxes next year.
Did they post averages somewhere?

//////////////////////////////

Bram , I just checked my father in laws house and it went up 27.72 percent or roughly 400k.

He did trim the bushes in the summer…

#7 Deplorable Steerage Wisdom on 12.31.16 at 1:39 pm

I collect the blog, and its commentary, mounted prominently on my wall for comic enjoyment! Does it have any value!?

#8 Deplorable Dude on 12.31.16 at 1:59 pm

Yep…..my little ‘non-traditional’ investment offshoot is autographed Apollo Astronaut prints including several moonwalkers. Worth a few thousand, nothing huge but brings me pleasure to look at them, especially as I’ve met many of them.

And happy with my Preferred’s…starting to recover from their big loss in 2015.

#9 InvestorsFriend on 12.31.16 at 2:03 pm

Investing in Collectibles

It’s not for everyone but could certainly be great for those with a passion for some collectible or other and who don’t get too carried away with it.

Warren Buffett however, is not a fan, and called these non-productive assets. However, I think he would favor rare collectibles over Gold as he has commented several times that it would be better to be a part-owner of the Hope Diamond than to own all of Rhinestone.

He divided assets into three groups

1. Currency linked (cash and bonds ) and I think prefs fit here as well

2. Non-productive Collectibles including (yes) gold

3. Productive assets including farms, businesses and (yes) real estate – though it was not clear if real estate meant strictly commercial real estate or included your house.

See Buffett’s wise words at pages 17 to 19 of his annual letter that addressed Berkshire’s 2011 results.

#10 A belieber on 12.31.16 at 2:07 pm

Now this is some good investing advice Doug! best article yet. Let me tell you about my Bieber memorabilia collection and you can tell me how rich I’m going to be in a few years.

A signed copy of his GQ cover in mint condition, framed
A copy of his ‘billboard’ cover, not signed but working on it
Signed CD copy of his debut EP: My World. (It was weird to go to a store and buy music but figured this might be worth something)
I bought the vinyl version of Believe
I’ll be adding the vinyl version of Purpose soon (this is the real break-out album, a must buy for beliebers.)
Plus two concert tees, never worn framed with my tickets to the show. World tour and Believe tour.

I’m thinking I’ll do better just on these than most on here.

#11 InvestorsFriend on 12.31.16 at 2:18 pm

Bdwy sktn’s approach is worth repeating

#121 Bdwy sktn on 12.31.16 at 1:13 pm reported:

Someone asked earlier about land prices in Bellingham vs Van.

Yes the difference is huge. Cdns can’t live there full time but with a nexus it’s faster to get to our place in WA than many distant van suburbs.

We recently bought the equivalent of about 100 city lots just across the line for the price of a parking spot in a condo in van. On the prettiest little country road one could wish for. Next to a salmon Creek.

Will be building house shop garage etc.
Will live there part time . Full time place to park cars boats tractors etc. I own my own motocross track:)
Taxes are pocket change. Services are at street.

Best deal ever but few cdns know that buying there is even easier than in canada

*******************************************
This sounds like an undeniably smart move for someone living just near the U.S. border and where land is FAR cheaper in the U.S.

Whether in the stock market, the land market or the comic book collectibles meet, when real bargains appear and match your needs and you have the financial ability, smart people pounce.

#12 Thornton Melon on 12.31.16 at 2:28 pm

slaves? hm

Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves!

Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

#13 2016 on 12.31.16 at 2:37 pm

Happy New Year you all Greater Fools!!!

#14 S.Bby on 12.31.16 at 2:53 pm

Honest Ed’s closing today:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3154369/honest-eds-torontos-iconic-discount-business left, just condos.store-closes-its-doors-after-68-years/

Going condo. Same as Vancouver. Soon there will be no business or industry left in our two major cities. but hey, we can just all buy condos and get rich!

#15 Darryl on 12.31.16 at 2:55 pm

Who allowed cat’s ??
There goes the Blog

#16 Doug Rowat on 12.31.16 at 2:55 pm

#10 A belieber on 12.31.16 at 2:07 pm

Sounds good to me. 91 million Twitter followers can’t be wrong.

–Doug

#17 Context on 12.31.16 at 3:01 pm

I am taking wagers and am offering odds that the Smoking Man will stay sober tonight – 1 to 10 is what I am offering with a minimum bet of $100.00.

#18 S.Bby on 12.31.16 at 3:05 pm

For any collectible we have to realize where the demand is coming from. Right now it is baby boomers reliving their youth and that drives prices for 60s and (some) 70’s muscle cars. Prices for vintage autos from the 20’s and 30’s have fallen because the guys who were interested in those cars are passing away so there goes that market.
Also speculation; look at what the Japanese did to Ferrari prices in the 1980’s and then those values crashed after Japan failed. It took years for collectible Ferrari prices to recover.
Don’t collect based on trends or speculation; just collect what makes you happy and if you make some money out of it, then that’s great.
I have a box of old comics from my childhood that I bought for 10, 12 and 15 cents and I have no idea what they are worth and I don’t care because I didn’t ever buy them for any kind of investment and would not sell them now.

#19 S.Bby on 12.31.16 at 3:10 pm

#11 InvestorsFriend
I wouldn’t believe anything Bdy Sktrn says he is a huge BS’r bragger and RE market pumper who claims to own property all over the place.

#20 Comic books & Bitcoin on 12.31.16 at 3:13 pm

Whether it is comic books, bitcoins, anstract paintings, or other items that are assigned outrageous value, they all have one thing in common: they start with owners of these items faking a sale of an item to themselves (or a friendly party that appears to be at arms length but has a secret backchannel deal) at a highly inflated price. the idea is to draw in suckers who start shelling out similar prices for the same or similar items, out of greed. if at first this does not succeed, more fake transactions are created, until suckers start to finally be drawn in. At that point, a market has been created at fraudulently manipulated artificially high prices, and it will keep drawing in more and more investors, out of pure greed and speculating on the number of other greedy people out there who they can sell it on to for an even higher price. In the end, the whole thing is nothing more than a pump and dump scheme. If prices ever start falling below a bottom that the major owners find too low, they simply resort to the same technique again, create fake sales at inflating prices. Check out the sudden rise in bitcoin prices, it was proven that several years ago the price shot to 1200 dollars only because someone pulled this trick through an exchange, doing many automated sales between accounts all created by the same party, appearing both as buyers and sellers, selling at ever higher prices. Bitcoin owners still resort to this technique to keep the price artificially high, the whole thing does not work as a digital payment mechanism for so many reasons, but the speculative nature remains. Too bad so many innocent people get drawn into these schemes.

#21 CL on 12.31.16 at 3:25 pm

“If you heeded our advice last year that the sell-off in preferred shares was overdone and stuck with them — well, Happy New Year once again.”

I did!!!. Thank you for that and happy new year to you guys too!!

#22 PeterInYvr on 12.31.16 at 3:33 pm

Doug, we should talk. I’m looking for a nice low grade copy of Avengers #4 (first silver age Captain America comic). Do you know anyone selling it? I’m also interested in learning statistics with financial models – maybe you have some good financial datasets to use?

I’ve collected comics most of my life and also followed this blog for the past few years. Yes, following one’s passions and also making money from it is a great idea.

The values of older “blue chip” comics are beyond th reach of most collectors/investors – Golden Age key issues such as Action Comics #1, and Silver Age key issues (like Amazing Fantasy #15, Fantastic Four #1, Showcase #4, etc.) seem to go up every year because of their scarcity and cultural importance.

Blue Chip comics from the 1970s and early 80s (Bronze Age) are still affordable and are the new hot market as some of these characters are popular and enduring chracters (e.g. first Punisher comic in Amazing Spider-Man #129, Giant Size X-Men #1, first Ra’s Al Ghul comic in Batman #232, etc.).

Much success, health, and happiness to everyone in the new year. Happy New Year.

#23 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.16 at 3:36 pm

Expensive Single Malt

Almost enough to fill a bathtub and pickle me when I die OR drink til Im pickled and die.
Either way…… I die happy.

Happy New Beer one and all.

P.S.
Its snowing heavily AGAIN in Burnaby.
Will this cursed winter Hell ever end?

#24 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.16 at 3:41 pm

@#10 A belieber

Congrats on the signed copies.

I just dont think I’d be able to control my urge to strangle the obnoxious, tatted, twerp if I were standing next to him.
Im sure there is someone out there that would pay millions for THAT.

#25 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.16 at 3:44 pm

Oh, and Apocalypse 2016…….?

Any last messages before the bell tolls 2017 and my patent of Apocalypse2017 takes your thunder?

Still praying for a 11:59pm earth shattering asteroid to smite the unbeliebers?

Just remember, no sulking at midnite.

#26 Deb on 12.31.16 at 3:50 pm

Happy New Year to Garth, all guest hosts and visitors to this great blog.
You know, Doug, I can remember buying a comic book in the mid-1970s called Captain Canuck, a rather polite action hero who sought compromise over annihilation. I didn’t buy it because I liked action heroes in particular. I bought it because I had never seen a made-in-Canada comic book before. It was a novelty, kind of like a 1970s CBC sitcom that was actually funny. It ran for only a few issues before folding, due to weak sales. I understand, however, that the few copies that still exist are worth quite a bit.

#27 Context on 12.31.16 at 3:52 pm

Never try to time a collectible as was bored in 1999 on Ebay and spent thousands. It was a particular group of items and am not telling, but the market was hot. This market crashed a few years later and am holding the bag for losses going forward. Nevertheless, have a few good ones that might place into an auction one day.

#28 LP on 12.31.16 at 4:05 pm

My ink bottle collection might not be worth what I’ve paid to acquire it…especially when most young people nowadays ask, “what is ink?”. Oh well, they are beautiful and it was fun searching them out.

Happy New Year to everyone here anyway!

#29 Polls R Phake on 12.31.16 at 4:22 pm

#2 Bdwy sktn on 12.31.16 at 1:26 pm
Happy new year to all (except the climate disaster crazies)
_______________________________________

Happy New Year !!

(and lets hope the brainwashed leftie socialists are “frozen” from their stupor by the below freezing temperatures covering 50% of the planet and the shorelines that are EXACTLY the same as ten years ago)

#30 Powder_hound86 on 12.31.16 at 4:22 pm

My investing ‘side hustle’ the past few years has been Bitcoin.

I really believe in the tech and took a position a few years back at a pretty low price point and averaged down.

Well, now a few years later, yesterday I sold all my coins for a 120% profit. Not bad eh? That profit will let me max out my rrsp and my wife’s tfsa this coming year

Good start to 2017 if you ask me :D

#31 the Jaguar on 12.31.16 at 4:22 pm

A sweet photo. When I was a kid I was devoted to the Archie Series comic books. I used to read them voraciously on summer vacations at the Kelowna home of my grandparents when it was so hot you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. Okanagan Lake was very clean in those days, no Hell’s Angels in attendance, and lazy days could be spent fishing with my grandfather and eating cucumber sandwiches. Don’t be too hard on Trump, Doug. He may surprise. Excellent story in the Globe today about the monied folk in Palm Beach Florida by Ian Brown. Provides some insight into Trump. Happy New Year to all.

#32 Metaxa on 12.31.16 at 4:27 pm

A few years ago I spotted a pair of folding lawn chairs still in the plastic sleeves they were shipped in, complete with hang tags, at a booth in the aisle of a local mall. But old looking. From the 70’s at least.

The canvas part was fully branded with Coca Cola graphics so I asked how much.

$15 each. $30 is a gratuity, not a purchase, eh?

Got them home, took a couple of pictures of detail, open, closed, etc and put them up on a buddy’s eBay store (he usually does car parts but has a ton of page views daily).

A week later I accepted $500US for the pair.

Wouldn’t it be nice if it was like that all the time?

#33 mitzerboy aka queencitykidd on 12.31.16 at 4:36 pm

may your new-year be happy everydogy
have a good 2017

all’s fair in love and war

#34 Nemesis on 12.31.16 at 4:40 pm

#ForgetSuperMan,YouWant… #HaroldHedd,by… #RandolphHoltonHolmes

“Here was one of the greatest artists in the history of underground comics, living in our building and churning out major satirical work about those who were out to destroy us, turning them into buffoons. He was a sweet, gentle man who helped us to seize the moral high ground when we were feeling beaten.” – Dan McLeod, Publisher [The Georgia Strait]

#35 Euro observer on 12.31.16 at 4:41 pm

#36 Context on 12.31.16 at 4:50 pm

I have a massive coin collection that was handed down which is in storage. There is only one way to collect coins for investments. You do not need many so buy only the rare ones that have been professionally mounted with a grading of MS 65 to 70. This is how your going to make money and you only need a dozen or so – buy Canadian.

#37 Metaxa on 12.31.16 at 5:00 pm

#38 crowdedelevatorfartz on 12.31.16 at 5:04 pm

Collectors and their obsessions
A friend of mine used to buy and sell WWII US army jeeps. Buy them , fix them up with original parts and flip them for a small profit. The jeeps were tiny since people werent FAT back then. Easy to keep in a garage
Then he decided WWII Army Trucks would be a more profitable sideline since there were so few for sale…
I tried to talk him out of it.
“Too big for a garage, most guys that buy them have wives that will NOT want an ugly massive WWII army truck in the driveway, gas milage( 6 mpg)…on and on and on.
Today?
He has 3 trucks in an aircraft hanger($700/month rent) and 2 at his house.
Poured thousands of dollars into them to bring them back to original condition. He had one that was” the only one left in the world….” until he found another in in Yellowknife…..and bought it and shipped it down……..
Sales?
Posts them on Ebay or Kijiji……crickets.
Lowers his price to painful enema territory……..crickets.
Offers 2 trucks for the price of one…..crickets.
Offers them to museums, Veterans, movie industry…..crickets…….
But he still keeps looking for more……….

#39 Al Ron on 12.31.16 at 5:20 pm

Toronto women want their spouses to “invest” in an over-priced condo or bungalow/townhouse in a city where indeed many men complain of sexism against men…

You wouldn’t force me to buy some crappy overpriced house in TO6 if you kidnapped me & only released me when I purchased an overpriced home in Toronto.

I’m glad that I rent my living space in TO. It’s been a few years & the man-hating, no-fun, anti-party vibe I get in Toronto makes me as a straight, cis-gender, European man feel unwelcome.

I’m not gonna turn into alternative lifestyles or a Yes-Man for Toronto woman. I’m still an EU citizen & I will definitely pack up my bags once I graduate from that feminist hellhole called U of Toronto St.George-Spadina campus….The gender & sex politics in Toronto never ceases to amaze me…Do people work in downtown Toronto except shuffling papers & creating more laws to hate on men?

#40 Fish on 12.31.16 at 5:29 pm

Let’s not forget the real Barbie and Skipper,

#41 For those about to flop... on 12.31.16 at 5:30 pm

I don’t have much in the way of collectables but I have three things that could be worth a bit one day.

First thing is a set of Australian football cards from the 80s ,which is their version of hockey cards.

The second one is a set of soccer pins from around the same time featuring the English soccer teams of the day.
Manchester United,Arsenal,Chelsea etc…
Full set in original folder.

The third one is kind of a weird piece of Australiana.
A long time ago all the pro football teams in Australia were based in Melbourne, then in the mid 80’s the league decided to expand nationwide and include places like Sydney,Brisbane and Perth.

Despite being a Carlton fan( one of the Melbourne teams)on a family vacation to Sydney we got tickets to see two expansion teams Sydney vs Brisbane.

Anyway after the game as we were leaving the stadium we noticed the official team bus and the official cheer squad so we wandered over to take some photos to remember the occasion.

I was perhaps 13/14 at the time and some guy walked up to me and asked if I would hold the official team flag while he went looking for a friend.About ten minutes later the bus left without him and after standing there for another half an hour without the guy coming back ,my parents insisted that we go back to the hotel so I walked along the street waving the flag.

What makes this flag possibly valuable is that shortly after this team ceased to exist and merged with another team.

The Brisbane Bears,featuring a koala bear as there logo/ mascot became the Brisbane Lions hence the flag has one of Australia’s most recognizable animals on it.

The fact that I obtained the flag this way probably means that there is a nationwide warrant out for my arrest and I can never set foot back in Australia again…

M64WI

#42 Context on 12.31.16 at 5:35 pm

Some of you might have a box of old toys stored in the attic that were handed down from many years ago. Do not give them away, as some of them are worth thousands of dollars especially those that were made in Germany or even Britain.

#43 Doug Rowat on 12.31.16 at 5:36 pm

#22 PeterInYvr on 12.31.16 at 3:33 pm

Wolverine would count as blue chip. Plus he’s Canadian (sort of).

–Doug

#44 mark on 12.31.16 at 5:36 pm

ZPR rate reset preferred share are virtually unchanged in last year. The only way your ahead is IF you bought in January.
There still dogs and have lost still lost a stunning 30 percent of value when they were issued at 15 bucks several years ago.
These are rate resets too.
They got a long way to go to just break even for those that bought at 15 dollars, but hey we get the dividend though!

#45 Smoking Man on 12.31.16 at 5:39 pm

Blasphemy. A Cat?

Grown men, comic book collectors is all I’m saying.

I’ll probably be pasted out by midnight. So in case I miss the ball drop.

Happy New year Dogs.

#46 The Greater Cauliflower on 12.31.16 at 5:39 pm

I have a CLOSET FULL OF BEANIE BABIES.

Am waiting for the demand to return, and then BOOM, this is my ticket to retirement. (ahem, yes a PLUSH one !)

#47 mark on 12.31.16 at 5:42 pm

#36 context
Lunar series 2 and 1 series are popular.
Proof coins are just as good as graded in the long run with low mintage but there has to be demand that’s tricky part.

#48 Doug Rowat on 12.31.16 at 5:46 pm

#20 Comic books & Bitcoin on 12.31.16 at 3:13 pm

We couldn’t stay away from the dark side? Even with comic books? Do the cute dog picks only inspire visions of puppy mills? Well, Happy New Year’s Eve anyways.

–Doug

#49 skidMark on 12.31.16 at 5:58 pm

Just make sure your comics, cards and collectibles are CGC 9.5 graded or higher. Otherwise they’re likely close to worthless

#50 Gasbag Boomer on 12.31.16 at 6:00 pm

Happy New Year Garth, Ryan, Doug and everybody. I have really enjoyed this band of merry misfits since signing on mid-year.

#51 Snowboid on 12.31.16 at 6:07 pm

#11 InvestorsFriend on 12.31.16 at 2:18 pm…

Or even someone further from the border, as in a three day drive from the Okanagan to the NW Valley of Phoenix.

We just sold our vacation home and depending on the CAD/USD when escrow closes, we net about $91,000 CAD after fees and capital gains.

Not bad for an original investment of under $ 130K CAD and about $ 30K CAD in improvements.

Not to mention the six years worth of winters spend in the sun and sand – it’s like we were paid $15K a year to spend our winters down here.

But all good things come to an end, it’s just a good time to sell – but we still may come down, just rent instead.

To the esteemed professor, and the assistant profs, as well as the blog dawgs…

Happy New Year!

#52 Fish on 12.31.16 at 6:10 pm

#42 Context on 12.31.16 at 5:35 pm

A but early but I would like to say, Happy New Year! And to All, the very BEST!!!!

#53 Context on 12.31.16 at 6:13 pm

The best buy I ever made of a collectible was from this guy in a shopping center who set up for a week with other dealers. He had a large box of old mason salt and pepper shakers selling them for $1.00 a pair in the original pack. He bought boxes of them in bankruptcy, so said will buy them all and there were a thousand pair, and he had them in his truck so gave him the cash and took them away. I was off to cottage country for a few weekends to flea markets and sold them all as every woman wanted a pair for the cottage at $10.00 a pair.

#54 Barb on 12.31.16 at 6:15 pm

Oh no! Rowat’s into cats! AAAAARGH!
I generally avoid creatures that stir their poop with their paws and then proceed to walk on your kitchen counters.

And people worry about raw chicken?????

Happy New Year anyway.

#55 Smoking Man on 12.31.16 at 6:26 pm

#17 Context on 12.31.16 at 3:01 pm

>>>>>

Are you out of your mind?

#56 I am Pref on 12.31.16 at 6:27 pm

you guys recommend only a 20 % weighting in Preferreds if i recall

i saw the price of ZPR at $8.5 earlier this year and bought some , yes a very good move ..
BUT .. at the time i knew it was a great buy and was thinking of buying much more because it was such a great deal ..
so here is the confusing bit .. buying more would have been gambling right ???

or would it have been smart to buy and rebalance later , such as now . ?

this is where the passive balanced portfolio is tricky to stick to .

#57 Estrella on 12.31.16 at 6:31 pm

Stamps and original vinyl records are my thing.

The hardest part is evaluating the value of what you have, although I’m not into collecting to make my millions. I just like these particular categories.

#58 Smoking Man on 12.31.16 at 6:31 pm

My Batman Alert last week

#59 Estrella on 12.31.16 at 6:32 pm

P.s. Happy New Year to everyone may 2017 be healthy and prosperous!

#60 Andrew Woburn on 12.31.16 at 6:36 pm

20 Comic books & Bitcoin on 12.31.16 at 3:13 pm
====================

Sounds sort of like LIBOR and you don’t even need an MBA to play.

Happy New Year to all!

#61 Popeye the Sailor Man on 12.31.16 at 6:40 pm

Doug you have it backwards;
The code is 5,4,3,2,1 (blastoff)

#62 FISH on 12.31.16 at 6:46 pm

#53 Context on 12.31.16 at 6:13 pm

that is smart thinking on your feet, Never let a good opportunity pass you buy , smart!!

#63 Context on 12.31.16 at 6:50 pm

#47 mark:- I spent my entire life with Canada coinage and the demand will always be high with the rare one’s in MS 65 to 70 certified condition that are properly mounted. I sold off all the bills and dollars and need to sell the 50 cent pieces next as have about 5000 of them left; then comes the quarters and so on.

#64 InvestorsFriend on 12.31.16 at 6:51 pm

SnowBirds Who Bought Real Estate in The U.S.

#51 Snowboid on 12.31.16 at 6:07 pm responded to me:
#11 InvestorsFriend on 12.31.16 at 2:18 pm…

****************************************
Excellent move. I think buying vacation property in the U.S. only makes sense for the real snow birds who will use the property at least 3 and better 5 months per year.

Not sure if you were on this blog about five years ago or more when a number of us (including Garth) called U.S. real estate purchased with the then higher Canadian dollar a generational opportunity.

But the doomers were on the blog too suggesting U.S. house prices would continue to plummet as would their confetti of a currency. They were dead wrong.

You and lots of others pounced. Well done.

#65 Self Directed >> Preferreds on 12.31.16 at 6:54 pm

I’ve purchased ZPR awhile back (in my TFSA) and I now want to expand my Unregistered holdings. It’s definitely my star performer right now, helping to keep me in the green zone.

Since we know Preferreds will likely continue to rise, I want to understand more the differences between ETF preferreds vs. Stock preferreds.

1. Would it be best to purchase ETF or Stock (Banks, utilities, telecoms…)

2. Does share growth in an ETF rise when more investors buy it? Or is it based on its holdings?

3. What are some popular Non-ETF preferreds out there? (anyone? Doug or Garth can’t answer that… not ethical)

Any insight from the more experienced blog dogs would be appreciated!

#66 Popeye the Sailor Man on 12.31.16 at 7:01 pm

I like to collect the pure silver coins from the mint.

Years ago I collected the 1oz maple leaf coins when they were about 5-7$ now they are to much.

But I now exclusively buy the $20 for $20 pure silver coins; they are about 1/2 oz and have a face value of $20 and sell for $20 with free shipping.

If I could justify to the wife I would get the $50 for $50 coins or the $100 for $100 coins since these even have lower mintage.

Since the face value is what you pay for them there is little risk. This gives me my metal fix.

These even make cool Gift card alternatives since a $50 coin is legal tender it could be spent but is much cooler than a walmart or bestbuy card.

#67 Pete on 12.31.16 at 7:09 pm

“5 Randy Cross on 12.31.16 at 1:28 pm
Thought the nuclear arms race and the race to the moon were responsible for a lot of new technological developments ?”
————————————–
There never was a race for development. The greatest modern-day advancements (lasers, nuclear, etc) were never on the drawing board here. They are reverse-engineered and duplicated technologies from ‘elsewhere’.
I’m sure Smokey can fill you in more completely.

#68 FISH on 12.31.16 at 7:15 pm

I must say, I do believe with our Canadian Mint it’s good, cha ching it’s lovely!!!

#69 Popeye the Sailor Man on 12.31.16 at 7:18 pm

I had some good comics at one time as a kid, I reduced the collection down to just the best all 1st or 2nd editions in one banker box. held on them for years moving them around then decided to liquidate them. the comic book store really low balled the catalog price. so I said forget it.

A year later at my garage sale I was selling them for about 50-60% catalog price sold a couple only. One 12 year old boy down the block came back many times over the three days we were open to look at them. On the last day when he asked to buy a $20 comic for about $12 I said no and counter offered him the whole box for the $12. His eyes opened up and could not believe it. I made him promise to respect them and handle them with care. His mom came over 30 min later to ensure it was true and was thankful because he just loves comics.

Anyway I’m sure there is some one in there early 20’s with a good story to tell about the smashing deal he got one time.

Est full value of the box at the time over $600.00

But it is a lot of work to sell individual items of any collection even on Ebay. Just happy to pass them on and concentrate of other things.

#70 For those about to flop... on 12.31.16 at 7:19 pm

O.k. So there are a lot of high rollers on here ,but I have tip for the people struggling with grocrery bills.

Trackie and I have talked about how we like to use Kijiji / Craiglist or EBay to get tax free money for a little work.

Trackie hits home runs,I go for singles.
Here’s the tip…
When I go to get groceries I duck into the nearby thrift store for 5 minutes and try to find an item for around $2 that I think I can get $30 for.

What to look for is recognized brands such as Coke,Harley Davidson and the like and list it and collectors will snap it up.

I try to cater to Americans and up until recently you could get paid in American dollars.

Some of my hits have been an NBC sports sweater, a Snoopy on the moon…official merchandise sweater and a Kenny from South Park iPad bag.

Since Robax is talking about comics, I will metion that a few months ago I picked up an official Marvel Comics Iron Man T- shirt mint condition,but have not sold it yet as I think I will keep it as it fits me good.

So to recap…
5 minutes to pick out a product.
5 minutes to list it on eBay.
5 minutes to post it when you are out running errands..

The result…free groceries…

#71 Pete on 12.31.16 at 7:23 pm

“30 Powder_hound86 on 12.31.16 at 4:22 pm
My investing ‘side hustle’ the past few years has been Bitcoin.”
————————————
Actually, Devcoin is the only cryptocurrency that doesn’t have a hidden flaw (I’m not telling). Bitcoin was the first, but Devcoin will be the last one standing.

#72 Nonplused on 12.31.16 at 7:26 pm

I tried collecting whiskey but it all kept leaking out the hole in the top of the bottle.

I also have an ex-wife collection but i can tell you with a straight face that was a horrible investment from a financial point of view.

#54 Barb – we live sort of in the country and I would never be without a cat out here. Our little black mouser (the female of the 2 we have) will sometimes kill 2 mice a day. Very effective and there hasn’t been a mouse in the house the whole time. We also have a dog but he doesn’t do much to earn his keep but keep the cats safe from coyotes. I suppose that’s something though before we got the dog the cats would disappear fairly frequently, now they don’t.

However, I agree the liter box is pretty yucky. I’ve convinced my wife I’m allergic to it though so i don’t deal with it.

#73 AB Boxster on 12.31.16 at 7:28 pm

#37 Metaxa on 12.31.16 at 5:00 pm

———————————–
Your not seriously using an article from the CBC to pass as anything other than a biased media propoganda statement are you?

#74 Polls R Phake on 12.31.16 at 7:30 pm

I am sure all the “suits” can explain away this MP in the UK talking about the scam called banking.

#75 AB Boxster on 12.31.16 at 7:33 pm

#65 Self Directed >> Preferreds on 12.31.16 at 6:54 pm
__________________________________________________________
Re: preferreds

1. ETF’s are very liquid and with many different holdings more diversified and less risky.
I hold etfs and individual preferred stocks.
Interestingly, my bucket of individual shares has appreciated over the past year, but my etf is slightly down.
Garth would advise the ETF so stick with that advice.

#76 Context on 12.31.16 at 7:36 pm

I stay safely at home for New Years eve because there is always trouble now. There was this Sunwing flight leaving from Calgary at 7:00 AM heading to Regina and then Cancun, Mexico. I am glad that was not on it. The pilot was unconscious before takeoff and dead drunk, so was arrested. His flying days are over.

#77 Purrfect on 12.31.16 at 7:51 pm

I have a copy of Garth’s financial tv show on VHS from the ’90s.
Bidders???

#78 AB Boxster on 12.31.16 at 7:52 pm

#65 Self Directed >> Preferreds on 12.31.16 at 6:54 pm
__________________________________________________________

2. The value of the etf should reflect the underlying value of the preferred shares, which being traded individually may rise or fall depending on the whims of the market.

3. Buying an individual preferred share is much like buying a common share. Pricing is based on the underlying value and profitability of the company. Be wary of redemption terms etc.

Buying individual shares recently has been interesting, as the rate reset shares, which were supposed to address share risk and return issue of perpetuals, had the unintended consequences of the opposite, when the BOC cut rates.
The values of many rate resets dove because of this.
However, many of these shares fell far too much as some silly investors exitted the asset type driving thier values down further. Some of these shares were on sale, and as rates have risen, there have been some good opportunities.

If you google ‘preferred shares Wood Gundy’ you may find their listing of all Canadian preferred shares, their current price, current rates, and reset dates if not perpetual.

Every Canadian ETF will hold a basket of these Canadian shares.
If you want to go to US preferred as well the eft XPR holds half of its assets in Canadian and half US.

Not sure what Garth thinks about diversifying preferred shares into US and Canadian or whether it is better to stay all CDN with ZPR or CPD.

If you are just starting, buying an ETF right now is a good idea.
Prices are still low due to low BOC rates and once they rise,(as they have) they will do better.
And if they stay at the current price, well you still get a 5%+ dividend and tax advantages if they are hold outside an RRSP or TFSA.

#79 For those about to flop... on 12.31.16 at 7:52 pm

For those people new to the blog ,my nickname for Doug Rowat is Robax as in the muscle relaxer.

His college Ryan Lewenza gets the easy title of InfLewenza, but since he has said he likes Earl Grey tea I am toying with rebranding him …..The Duke of Earl…

To the both of you,thanks for your help so far and I look forward to many more posts from you guys…

Cheers Flopper…

#80 AB Boxster on 12.31.16 at 7:54 pm

#65 Self Directed >> Preferreds on 12.31.16 at 6:54 pm
__________________________________________________________

Whoops sorry,
Not XPR. Should read XPF.

#81 Bram on 12.31.16 at 8:02 pm

#27 Context on 12.31.16 at 3:52 pm
1999 on Ebay and spent thousands.

Magic: The Gathering?

Beanie Babies?

Great post, Dough.
And that picture perfectly embodies “alternative” on this blog too.
Well done.

#82 Marius on 12.31.16 at 8:11 pm

#83 Bram on 12.31.16 at 8:13 pm

#30 Powder_hound86 on 12.31.16 at 4:22 pm
yesterday I sold all

All your bitcoins gone? You should have kept one.

You do understand that there will NEVER be more than 21M of them?

That’s why I bought one @ cad$300,-
Let’s say that there is a one percent chance of this happening:

In 2027 the world economy has switched from USD to Bitcoin, then 21M bitcoin will represent all of the earth’s economy.
Owning a bitcoin in 2027, means owning 1/21M-th share of the economy.

So you could have a 1 percent chance of owning 1/21Mth of the worlds economy.
That’s some excellent investment if you ask me.
Now for sale at $1000,-

#84 mike from mtl on 12.31.16 at 8:14 pm

Cheers gents.

Firm believer in alternative ‘investments’, if you know your way around vintage electronics there’s a very healthy market out there. I deal in vintage & obscure analogue keyboards and unlike RE, yes they don’t make them like that anymore.

Looking forward to a marvellous 2017! burrrppp…

#85 Marius on 12.31.16 at 8:18 pm

#86 Smoking Man on 12.31.16 at 8:35 pm

I’ll give you dogs all my 2017 preditions tomorrow so you can bet .

But UCC is screaming at me right now. George Soros will die or be arrested in 2017.

#87 Denise#1 on 12.31.16 at 8:40 pm

Great picture Mr. Rowat! I absolutely LOVE cats! Happy New Year everybody!

#88 stage1dave on 12.31.16 at 8:45 pm

Awesome kitty pic…made my day!

And a huge TY for focusing on “non-traditional” investment vehicles; the wife & I are poster children for this stuff.

(I notice over the last few years, however, we have been somewhat more “traditional” investors…guess we finally figured out that it was kinda tuff to hand yer landlord a minty Sittler RC for the rent haha)

It’s also somewhat more difficult to present a couple of 59 Buicks as a DP for housing; a person is better off monetizing the value.

Seems half the battle anymore is forecasting the next “bubble” in whatever, and getting out at the right time. Or taking a longer, more balanced and consistent approach over time, which I guess is the whole point of this blog.

Anyway, a few more articles like this from respectable investment advisers just might get me, and my prodigious closet-full of graded OPC n’ Topps stuff outta the doghouse for a bit here and there.

(I really need to get wifey to re-read this column before that next batch of PSA 10’s shows up next week, because, well…you know…they ain’t bubble gum cards, they’re investments…dammit!)

On another note, I was quite sorry to hear that WI Boomer (boom!) had passed; I enjoyed his writing style and incisive commentary. Very nice tribute, btw, Mr. Turner.

I’m hoping Mr. Grim will take some time off from all the Reaping in 2017, it’s been kind of a…well, grim year.

HNY to all!

…and don’t forget there’s usually an unopened bottle of Baileys for the coffee once all the whiskey is gone!

#89 Prairieboy43 on 12.31.16 at 8:49 pm

Cats are great. Cowboys like cats (Big wild ones). Recently a cowboy punched out a Big Cat at Tim Hortons. Nothing phases a cowboy.
Collect record Book Boon/Crocker Whitetail racks (Yankees love these) Stanley Cup Rings (Canucks love these), collection of Vintage WW2 motorcycles, Vintage Dirt Bikes. No Archie Comics.
Happy New Year. 2017 will be Great.
PB43

#90 Context on 12.31.16 at 8:49 pm

#81 Bram:- No Beanie Babies for me as am no Nancy Boy.

#91 Brydle604 on 12.31.16 at 8:51 pm

Happy New Year Doug.
Like Mike #84 I collect vintage audio equipment, especially 70 era speakers, Altec Lansing Model 19 Voice of the Theatre, , Martin Logan, Paradigm, Maggies, Thorens turntables, Large Sony Reel to Reel Tape recorders which I regard as Audio Art. We have 3 home theatres and several two channel systems, and Sonos. Love music. Wife loves movies.

#92 Don Regan on 12.31.16 at 9:03 pm

When I was much, much younger and raising a family,
we didnt have a lot of extra money. Took the kids to see
a Movie titled ZULU. Collected a few lead soldiers, then
started collecting Medals from the actual battle which occurred in 1879. At the time these Medals were quite
cheap, generally the price of the Silver content For those
of you who dont have a lot of money, may I suggest
that you buy a Medal Year Book.

Once you have done that, look at the data! There are medals out there that currently sell for $30 or $40
that in time will be worth much, much more.

Good Luck!

#93 TurnerNation on 12.31.16 at 9:13 pm

Proof “lefties” are sucking the fun out of us esp. in controlled Toronto. Witness the rise of Nut-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free vegan bakeries :-(
(All the good stuff)

It’s Mom, Apple Pie and Baseball ya know.

#94 Metaxa on 12.31.16 at 9:15 pm

#73 AB Boxster

Tell me, AB, what pisses you off more…the fact that its on a CBC site or the fact that fellow Canadians are right this very moment having their lives disrupted by climate change?

What is more important to bicker about?
What matters to you?

People matter to me not some fringe, tribal, political belief.

To directly answer your aggressively phrased question, yes I did use an article from the CBC to point out how our fellow citizens, perhaps close neighbours of some of us, are being negatively impacted by this fairly significant ongoing event.
Seriously.

#95 Self Directed on 12.31.16 at 9:25 pm

#80 AB Boxster on 12.31.16 at 7:54 pm
————————
Thanks, AB Boxster for the great info!

Since I am just new this year to the Capital Markets, I will stick with the ETF’s. ETF’s do offer some very nice diversification, especially for assets like REIT’s and Preferreds. Always nice to open up the “fact sheet” on any one of these ETF’s to see if you dislike any of their holdings.

Have a happy and prosperous 2017 all you blog dogs!

#96 bdy sktn on 12.31.16 at 9:31 pm

………….
Agreed. 91 million twitter follows may not be wrong, but they can certainly be sub 80 iq.
I consider my greatest success as a parent the fact that my straight a’s, ivy league bound daughter cant stand the douchebag either.

I’d be looking at unloading that collection sooner rather than later as he will be circling the drain soon.

I thought the beliber handle was a joke. Sad.

#97 Context on 12.31.16 at 9:46 pm

I have a collectible in the original box sitting in the closet behind me. Its a TV that Sony manufactured for private jets or mega yachts years ago.

#98 Polls R Phake on 12.31.16 at 10:00 pm

#94 Metaxa on 12.31.16 at 9:15 pm
#73 AB Boxster

___________________________________________

You are correct. 50% of the planet. 100% of Canada is really really cold right now. And its disrupting a lot of lives. No argument there.

#99 bdy sktn on 12.31.16 at 10:00 pm

#94 Metaxa on 12.31.16 at 9:15 pm
re cbc article.

You’ve been had. Lennox island sandstone was washing away (hint: sand-stone) when I lived in Summerside in the 70s. So therefore it was caused by very low CO2 levels.
See how cbc science works?

#100 bdy sktn on 12.31.16 at 10:09 pm

Also re cbc.(richmond)

There are about a half zillion condos being built in Richmond today. Someone from cbc better run out and the the many hundreds of engineers involved that they are doing it wrong.

The kid next door is a budding journalist. Cbc intern maybe full time now. Super Nice kid but so completely brainwashed by sjw lefties. He Almost cried while telling me how trumps win will have the kkk running things in the south.

#101 conan on 12.31.16 at 10:13 pm

Collectibles are the go to currency for time travelers. So easy to pay outrageous prices when you know the items future worth.

Speaking of time travel, is this why we have a “nice” cat pic up? Or, did you use the “Force” on Garth?

#102 Canadian Moose on 12.31.16 at 10:18 pm

Since we are on the subject of collectables! I am extremely proud of my 1985 Opee-Chee full set hockey card edition, with Mario’s rookie card, the stable of that run. I collected it 1 pack at a time, spending my hard earned shoveling money. Lol. Not sure what it’s worth now but it’s nicely tucked away in sleaves in a binder for much later. Lol

Anyway. Happy New Year to all the family of Greater Fool! Cheers from the Hinterland

#103 bdy sktn on 12.31.16 at 10:20 pm

…………
The cold (freezing) weather in Vancouver has killed more ppl in the last 3 weeks than global warming will in 500 years.

Not to mention all my water tanks at the cottage will have frozen cracked valves and I will lose all my water when they finally thaw out.

#104 Dan on 12.31.16 at 10:39 pm

Awesome post. And you never know what will all of a sudden be sought after in terms of collectibles. Life should’ve fun and if you enjoy collecting Barbie dolls,hockey cards,WWF cards or whatever have fun doing it. Again, light, fun and upbeat post to bring in the new year- thanks

#105 juno on 12.31.16 at 10:39 pm

happy new years to all!

BTW can someone do a youtube video of the Donald doing the chicken song.

That will be a good start of what next year will bring!!!

#106 conan on 12.31.16 at 10:50 pm

Love trumps the Force.

#107 Chris on 12.31.16 at 11:16 pm

Happy New Year!

#108 Pete on 12.31.16 at 11:42 pm

If you want to make money trading in collectibles it’s best to trade in things that you don’t really care for yourself. That way you won’t let personal sentiment cloud your judgement as to what is a good investment or not. For example, comic books might be a good choice for a railway buff. Learn their true market value and let that knowledge guide you.

#109 Preferred etfs on 12.31.16 at 11:43 pm

Unsure why my post wasn’t posted , I’ll try again.

Anyone well read on investments knows the limitations of etfs .

For core holdings I prefer an index fund or etf
However for exposure to sectors one can dramatically increase return with active investing. Two sectors that are true to this are small caps and preferreds .

( 0ne mutual fund company in particular destroys the preferred index . Won’t post it
As Garth will likely block it – just
Research )

#110 Smoking Man on 12.31.16 at 11:47 pm

Dear mark…late nephew. For you.

Happy new year..

#111 Collections on 12.31.16 at 11:49 pm

I collect ‘Smoking Man [deleted]’.

#112 Smoking Man on 01.01.17 at 12:17 am

#113 Ardy on 01.01.17 at 12:45 am

Collected all kinds of things over the years.

I found out it is a lot easier to buy them then to sell them.

Now I only want to collect Berkshire A shares.

#114 bdy sktn on 01.01.17 at 1:08 am

BTW can someone do a youtube video of the Donald doing the chicken song.

………
I second this motion.

#115 Pete on 01.01.17 at 1:19 am

#39 Al Ron

Lol. I dont know why it is but toronto women are some of the most stuck up, bitter and miserable females in the world. When travelling almost anywhere in the world you get thrown off when girls look at you and actually smile . You almost freeze for a second in disbelief. Thats why i love vacations where the girls are normal. Best part you can pick out the miserable toronto girl from a mile away on vacation. Toronto really sucks. Btw the fireworks at city hall were pathetic for a self proclaimed world class city.

#116 Ponzius Pilatus on 01.01.17 at 1:41 am

Doug,
Thanks for trying.
But the blogdogs are hungry and want some blood tonight.
Happy new year, anyway.

#117 AB Boxster on 01.01.17 at 1:53 am

#94 Metaxa on 12.31.16 at 9:15 pm

People matter to me not some fringe, tribal, political belief.
———————————————–

Tell me, do you care as much about the millions of people dying from starvation, or disease?

Are you concerned about the millions whose main goal is to have clean drinking water?

If the best you can do is weep for Canadians who may have to adapt to changes in weather patterns then feel free to do so.

I will save my concern for real issues that have real impacts on the world today, and not something that may , possibly have an impact 150 years from today.

And certainly not based upon anything something presented by the CBC that presents content that is entirely partisan and political.

#118 Freedom First on 01.01.17 at 2:46 am

Yes. Kittens and young women. Both are cute.

However, a dog is a man’s best friend.

But I must admit, Felix is 1 cool cat. In a Mr. Hyde kind of way.

H2017 to everyone.

#119 Jungle on 01.01.17 at 5:51 am

No collectible stuff for me, trying to reduce clutter and live simple.

#120 Stock Picker on 01.01.17 at 5:53 am

I have never been a fan of fads…except where it intersects with the rise and fall of woman’s hemlines and bikini innovations. I have stayed ‘in the river’ as we traders call the act of being where the money is created…the equity market. Regardless of whether you’ve collected diamonds or art, nothing has appreciated as consistently as stocks in good companies…that fads come and go is as mundane as birthdays after 50. Happy New Year all…..although I’ve had it champagne I won’t begrudge anyone a good piss….smoke an ounce as we say…..it’s your issue.

But investing….is discipline….Ben Graham…..Adam Smith….it’s all about that….buy good companies that raise the dividends consistently and never sell unless he company has announced a change of historic significance.

There’s plenty of stocks on the TSX that will make you rich ….don’t be swayed or dismayed….stay in the river….never sit on the beach…..it’s a sure way of getting nowhere.

#121 Andrew t on 01.01.17 at 7:47 am

#93 TurnerNation on 12.31.16 at 9:13 pm
(All the good stuff)

It’s Mom, Apple Pie and Baseball ya know.

I guess if they can find chumps willing to drop six bucks on a vegan cupcake more power to them. I have a hunch, though, that some of these over-specialized hipster businesses will be the first to fold when our credit crunch hits. There’s been so many little retail bubbles and busts lately. Craft burgers, bacon sandwiches, vape shops etc.
On the topic of the main post, I still have my Gretzky rookie card I bought for the bubble gum as a kid, but I missed the bubble on hockey cards- that popped a while back.

#122 maxx on 01.01.17 at 8:39 am

#93 bdy sktn on 12.31.16 at 8:36 am

Trump may very well end up hitting the equivalent of a home run for them, with NAFTA renegotiation looming, not to mention the black swan of political chest-thumping.

Canada, because of its near ZIRP, has managed to entice most of its citizenry into unsustainable, economy-destroying debt. All levels of government have, in parallel, gorged on excessive spending due to cheap money and are now also in debt up to their eyeballs. Ontario is a complete basket case.

We are probably in the most fiscally precarious position of our entire history, with likely very little effort required to flick us off of the table, like the annoying and arrogant little crumbs we sometimes are.

Structure accordingly.

#123 Doug Rowat on 01.01.17 at 10:28 am

#56 I am Pref on 12.31.16 at 6:27 pm

you guys recommend only a 20 % weighting in Preferreds if i recall

18% to be exact. Don’t go more. Higher interest rates and bond yields are a likelihood, not a certainty.

–Doug

#124 Happy Housing Crash Everyone! on 01.01.17 at 11:01 am

Looks like another red hot fire in the GTA as another home under construction goes up in flames as the housing market which is now literally going up in flames . Happy Housing Crash Everyone! :-)

#125 Metaxa on 01.01.17 at 12:14 pm

AB Boxster, Polls R Phake, bdy sktn:

Tuff to have any conversation with folks who don’t seem to comprehend the difference between climate and weather.

Apologies for triggering you all, hope you can find a safe space in 2017.

#126 crowdedelevatorfartz on 01.01.17 at 12:24 pm

@#122 Metaxa
“If you think that snot-nosed commentary aimed at our US neighbours goes unnoticed, think again.”
********************************************

Well, if you’re referring to the 90 million Belieber followers in “twitter-verse” having IQ’s sub 80…..I have to agree with him.
As for all 90 million being US born…Nah. I’m sure there’s at least 2 million Canadian kids, 5 million Europeans, 10 million pan asians, a few hundred thousand Russians, a smattering of ISIS followers, in that pile of intellectually stunted growth……all hanging breathlessly on the next “On Stage” Bebier hissy fit.
Cant wait until that self absorbed, self important, barely educated idiot does something really stupid that gets him deported OR better yet, lands him in a US prison where he can “earn” his “street cred” in the showers……

#127 Russ on 01.01.17 at 12:31 pm

Hey Maxx,
All good points. We are governed by incompetents, in office and in the bureaucracies.

Have you heard any discussion on the benefits of getting out of NAFTA?

At first it was good for the eastern manufacturing businesses. It was good for US corporations for getting access to our resources at garenteed wholesaler’s cost and not requiring them to maintain a Canadian Corporate Head Office.

It didn’t do much good for B.C. because much of our sawmill capacity went south of the border to mill our raw logs AND the Softwood Agreement was brought in to damage the remains Canadian lumber producers.

If we tear it up there is billions of savings available by dismissing all the US legal action against us due to provisions in NAFTA.

This could be our Canadian “exit”.

Cheers, R

#128 greyhound on 01.01.17 at 12:51 pm

One of my favourite articles from 2016
Thought-provoking

#129 Steve-0 on 01.01.17 at 12:56 pm

Doug / Garth,

8.9% return last year, How did I do?

24% Can Equity,
6% Can Reits (Rio, Dream, Artis),
5% Emerging Markets,
30% US Equity,
18% Internation Equity,
10% Preferreds,
7% Short Term Bonds

#130 David McDonald on 01.01.17 at 12:57 pm

Happy New Year

Doug, I continue to hold preferred shares in CPD. As Garth advised I own it for the income but a price recovery would be nice too

#131 bwahaha on 01.01.17 at 1:14 pm

Dougie is the comic book collection one of the pre-reqs for getting the FCSI..Fellow of Comics and Strategic Investments?

Just askin!

#132 Ronaldo on 01.01.17 at 1:15 pm

My son started collecting comics and hockey cards back in 79 to 85 and collected thousands of cards and comics and all sealed in acid free plastic. All new condition. When he left home in 91 to further his education I bought the collection from him for face value knowing that if I didn’t he would likely not have it for much longer. A few months ago I asked if he was interested in obtaining his comic and card collection. He said absolutely so I shipped the works off to him. They hadn’t been touched in all that time. He got busy and went through the entire collection and discovered that some were worth many hundreds of dollars and this sparked a desire to invest in certain issues of comics. He plans to pass it on to my granddaughter and will likely be sufficient to fund her education in the next 12 years when she graduates. Turned out to be a great investment to pass on.

#133 Metaxa on 01.01.17 at 2:32 pm

#126 crowdedelevatorfarts:
@#122 Metaxa

I know you think of me often…who wouldn’t, I’m a beautiful man, but #122 isn’t me, not my quote.

Here is my quote tho:
Why are you fantasizing about Bieber being homo raped in a US prison?
There are underlying issues somewhere…was your father a distant man except when he beat you with the booster cables or something?

Pro Tip. Its 2017, grown men don’t promote prison rape anymore.

#134 AB Boxster on 01.01.17 at 2:59 pm

#125 Metaxa on 01.01.17 at 12:14 pm
AB Boxster, Polls R Phake, bdy sktn:

————————————————
Any one who believes that climate does not change denies science.
50,000 years Canada was beneath a massive ice sheet.

What we differ on is the belief that mankind can do anything to change it, or this it is the most pressing issue of the day.

As far as ‘triggering’ and ‘safe spaces’ well those are just silly terms used by the regressive left.

Most intelligent people don’t live in the world or triggers and safe spaces.

#135 maxx on 01.01.17 at 3:10 pm

#127 Russ on 01.01.17 at 12:31 pm

“Hey Maxx,

Have you heard any discussion on the benefits of getting out of NAFTA?”

Won’t be cut and dried and we certainly can’t count our legal chickens in advance- but it will be messy and unlikely to our advantage.
The U.S. will not lose.

#136 crowdedelevatorfartz on 01.02.17 at 10:05 am

@#133 Metaxa
Sorry. I meant the “rebuttal” ( insert coy backward glance HERE) for maxx
As for the “Beebs’ languishing in prison…..He could start a whole new career as a falsetto gangsta instead of a false gangsta

FYI.
Daddy used a rolled up newspaper and a foot.
I deserved it.

Totally off subject.
Just how “beautiful” are you…….?

#137 Angela on 01.02.17 at 5:31 pm

Wish I’d listened to my Dad. Hung out by the advanced math class, the computer lab and the comic book store instead of the smoking area, football field and the pool hall…

Is there a website for dating quirky smart guys?

#138 crowdedelevatorfartz on 01.02.17 at 9:54 pm

@#137 Angela

Not to worry.
I have it on good authority that Metaxa is not too hard to look at.
Drop him a line.
Im pretty sure he’s of the hetero persuasion.