Delivered

exchange

It’s only a thousand dollars, I know.  But last week I told you I would add nine hundred to the $100 this blog won for being weird, and donate it. I asked you for suggestions. You gave hundreds. Thank you.

Broadly speaking, you urged money for victimized animals and humans.  As a consequence I am sending two cheques for five hundred bucks, as detailed herein.

When the waters came, High River drowned. Residents had just hours, often minutes, to escape the historic floods. Many, too many, believed they would be back home soon. And so scores of animals were left behind to be retrieved later that day. But nobody came.

About two thousand dogs, cats and birds faced the deluge. Hundreds died alone. Over the next two weeks their remains were found by rescuers – soldiers, police and volunteers.

But about five hundred were rescued.

HIGH RIVER

Sodden, scared and dazed, they were survivors of an event that exceeded the comprehension and experience of even their displaced owners. Over the course of two weeks, these animals were catalogued, housed, fed and loved. Others were picked up from the abandoned backdoors and parking lots where they emerged. The task of matching beast with owner was painstaking and slow. Every day all of these lives needed attention – food, clean water, medical treatment, shelter.

At the centre of it was Kim Hessel and her little Heaven Can Wait Animal Rescue Foundation, sited a few miles out of town. Kim and volunteers plucked animals to safety, and then gave them sanctuary, using everything from word of mouth to Facebook to try and reunite families

A few days ago, catching her breath, Kim shared these reflections:

Some of the things I can’t forget … the look on Cathy Dudgeon’s face to realize that the 3 “strays” in Wire Crate A were actually hers. Mary Ellen leaning over the crate to gently stroke her ancient cat that Mike had just pulled out of her upstairs bedroom after 9 days. Meeting Sarah at Checkpoint and knowing from the grief in her eyes that she’d seen something too sad for words. Teresa gently touching a woman’s back as she wept to find her cat. Steph calling me from the Firehall to say she’d found my mother, who despite her dementia, had recognized my truck. My beautiful friend Sandy for taking care of her when I couldn’t.

Seeing Judy asleep on my couch and allowing myself a moment to imagine how I would feel had I lost my home, and admiring her fortitude to give back at a time when she had nothing. Holding Ponn’s wee rabbit as she died in my arms. How thankful I was to see Angie pull in the yard to pick up snakes in pillow cases and trust that she knew how to care for them. Marcia with a bearded dragon across her chest to warm him up. The exhaustion in Teresa’s face as we sat at the computer at 1 AM to update the intake spreadsheet, knowing she had kids at home who missed her. Rick bringing me a cat covered in sludge so thick I couldn’t tell what color he was, only that his eyes were yellow.

Heaven Can Wait was overwhelmed, but coped heroically, even as it was in the midst of trying to find a new, permanent home for its shelter and adoption program. Our small amount will assist in that effort.

As much time as I can find is spent living in a small town, away from the cacophony, conflict and unpredictability of the big city. After a week or two, you expect to see the same faces at the market, walking the shoreline, gassing up or in the bank. People grow up, age or fade. They don’t just vanish.

Three weeks ago dozens did. Not in my town, but it was no less real. Watching the fireballs explode across my television screen, I could only imagine the anguish of families whose sons, daughters, wives and husbands had just been lost. Death rolled down the hill in the familiar form of tanker cars. Lac-Mégantic turned into hell.

LAC

On the weekend mourners jammed a local church for a memorial service, while the crowds outside stretched away for blocks. The heavy equipment and dozens of workers picking through a mountain of melted, twisted, tormented debris, halted their work in respect. There were more victims to find, many lives to repair.

Two hundred families still cannot go home. Most businesses downtown are gone. The local economy is largely destroyed. The railway carcasses can be hauled off and the funerals held, but the residue of this disaster will last for years. Decades, perhaps.

Only seven million dollars has been generated to date, which is too little. Large donors have been hard to find, to rescue a small town in Quebec few had heard of. It’s a low-profile version of Hades. So thank goodness for the Red Cross.

The Lac-Mégantic Support Fund is flowing money to help kids who lost parents, people now lacking jobs, businesses without premises and the newly homeless. Of every dollar, 95 cents goes to the affected. Now there are five hundred more.

Your guidance was valuable. I liked writing the cheques. Let us do this again.

#1 Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 6:53 pm

Sucks to be back.

Hate the weather here…

Very good cause. Nice one Garth

#2 Chickenlittle on 07.29.13 at 6:54 pm

Great choices!

#3 Mike on 07.29.13 at 6:55 pm

Is it the speed news travels through different avenues … MSM, social media … which makes it look like we have more and more disastrous events happening around us? Or is it really getting a crazier out there in the world every day?
Can’t believe how all we hear of nowadays are natural or man-made disasters happening all around us :(

#4 DM in C on 07.29.13 at 6:58 pm

Great choices, Mr. Turner. I’m sure they appreciate the funds.

That was very nice of you to top up the winnings.

d

#5 Ahead of the Curve on 07.29.13 at 6:59 pm

Great going Garth,

May I propose you change the name of this blog, from Greater Fool, to Greater Good.

Thank you.

#6 CrowdedElevatorfartz on 07.29.13 at 7:05 pm

Great choices!
What are the websites for these donation sites?

#7 Alberta Ed on 07.29.13 at 7:07 pm

Well done!

#8 espressobob on 07.29.13 at 7:23 pm

Great post Garth! Leadership by example!

#9 TheCatFoodLady on 07.29.13 at 7:40 pm

Bless you Garth – those are superb choices. Folks, can we all find a way to ‘man up’? There’s no question it’s tough & getting tougher out there.

Right now, spare money I don’t have. Time I do. A delightful elderly couple in my building has started the sad, inevitable slide. They’ve been plagued with ill health & worries since just before Christmas. They have no family close by. Several of us, friends, neighbours, have been doing what we can to ease their load. They’re of the generation that gave greatly & it’s time to give back.

They have a newer vehicle they’ve not been able to drive, (she’s lost her licence, he’s too ill), since Rememberance Day. The Main Squeeze & I have made sure it turns over & twice have used it to shop for them.

I pledge, before the end of the week, to clean & starch that vehicle to a level a car detailer would look at & weep, (with envy). Washed, rinsed, polished, buffed, detailed inside & out. I suspect they’ll decide to sell it soon – pretty sure his driving days are permanently over. Least I can do.

I also pledge to figure out & perform one Random Act of Kindness this week – probably haul a garbage bag to the nearby park & pick up litter – sadly, some druggies tend to use a few dark corners & I’m pretty sure syringes & needles have piled up. Yes, I know how to deal with those safely & there’s a nearby community health center where I can bring the stuff for safe disposal.

If even one in ten of us donate of our time & money this week… well, it counts.

#10 DaninCalgary on 07.29.13 at 7:46 pm

Garth, you do good work.

I wanted to share something about Alberta’s floods that doesn’t seem to have come to anyone’s attention yet:

A large part of downtown Calgary is built in the floodplain…major floods should be expected to happen. The last major flood in Calgary was in 1932, with peak water flowing at 1520 m^3/s. This flood has been reported at around 1500 m^3/s, perhaps up to 1600. The 100 year flood (1980 m^3/s) is higher than this, and two historical floods in the late 1800s exceeded that number. Calgary was due for a flood like this.

FYI the 2005 flood was a less than a 1:20 year flood.

Unfortunately this is the same for so many towns in Canada. I fear your (and our) charity will be needed again soon…

#11 waiting on 07.29.13 at 7:49 pm

Your writing is thought provoking, usually contentious, and rarely poignant, but tonight is the exception. You brought tears to my eyes.

#12 Victor V on 07.29.13 at 7:49 pm

Wonderful choices.

#13 Sherwood Park on 07.29.13 at 7:53 pm

You’re a good man Charlie Brown!

#14 pathcontrolmonk on 07.29.13 at 7:55 pm

Kudos Garth! Here are some things http://www.heavencanwait.ca they would be happy to receive, good way to rid oneself of your Kia:

-Storage cupboards or shelving units
-Blankets for dogs or to be cut down and made into cat beds
-Fridge and stove
-Dry cat and dog food
-Wet cat and dog food
-Vehicle to replace 13 year old cancerous truck
-Vet style kennels (to be purchased/donated if possible through a vet clinic upgrading their existing kennels)
-Cat carriers
-Cat scratching posts
-Carpenter to make cat houses and cat boxes (for wall mounting)
-Storage shed
-Upgraded computer/printer
-Fax machine/scanner
-Graphic artist to donate their time
-Art framer to donate their time and talent

#15 Nemesis on 07.29.13 at 8:03 pm

NiceOne. Nope… NiceTwice.

I’m quite certain that if there’s a ‘Maître d’hôtel’ of charity…

He’s saying, “Un excellent choix, monsieur.”

And sincerely. For once.

#16 Wally on 07.29.13 at 8:06 pm

Well done Garth. Could you (or someone) post links for others who might want to donate to those causes?

#17 eddy on 07.29.13 at 8:10 pm

#18 Nimoucha on 07.29.13 at 8:12 pm

Great choices, Garth! Thumbs up!

#19 Slightly Less Foolish on 07.29.13 at 8:16 pm

You made me cry. Thank you, Garth.

#20 Marginal on 07.29.13 at 8:17 pm

Garth, you are truly pathetic….in the best possible way and the best meaning of the word. Thank you.

#21 totalinvestor.com on 07.29.13 at 8:22 pm

That was very kind of you Garth.

#22 Donald Trump on 07.29.13 at 8:29 pm

My tears flow upward and ruin moi’s perma coiffed hair….

…….But well done Garth !

#23 Harry Wilson on 07.29.13 at 8:33 pm

“Make room for yourself with generosity”
~ John Giorno, poet

“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito.”
~ African Proverb

Thank you Mr. Turner.

#24 takla on 07.29.13 at 8:36 pm

Kudo’s to you Garth,your kind deed of donation is very refreshing and notable.Too often we read of polititions on the take,rarely giving,all too often with thier nose’s in the trough.I voted for money going to school children lunch programs.If any blog dogs have a little left over at the end of the month and agree its a worthy cause,contact a local elementary school and offer what you can to thier lunch programs ,its something that would be greatly appreciated and would help fill bellys and contribute to young students ability to learn.

#25 Timing is Everything on 07.29.13 at 8:42 pm

Thx Garth.

#26 mike as in mike on 07.29.13 at 8:47 pm

Bless you Garth. You did good.

#27 None on 07.29.13 at 8:58 pm

I mean this with all of the humility I can muster and I mean this sincerely: best post yet.

Well done sir.

#28 Jim on 07.29.13 at 8:58 pm

Boring.

#29 FlounderDigest on 07.29.13 at 9:01 pm

Bravo !

#30 Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 9:11 pm

What is being demonstrated in the above posts is collectivism, all sharing koodos to garth for his generosity.

Truth is most of you don’t give a shit, It’s more important to go with the gang speak to fit in.

I know from experience when your down and out, weather your fault or circumstances, the world don’t care. In fact it is more than likely to deliver a kick, than a kiss.

#31 Drill Baby Drill on 07.29.13 at 9:15 pm

Dear pathetic blog as a person who lives between downtown Calgary and High River Alta it is nice to see recognition and heartfelt compassion for those severely affected by the floods as well as the extremely tragic accident in S.E. Quebec. I am personally torn as a taxpayer and as a compassionate human being on whether the decision by the Alta government to re-imburse all homeowners affected by the floods. I am not certain this is the right move in the long term.

#32 billy on 07.29.13 at 9:21 pm

Great work, but where’s the government in all this?

Sending Canadian tax money to dictators in far off lands and calling it aid no doubt.

#33 Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 9:21 pm

Ops the above was half a post. Continued….

We all like to due good deals like this cause in the back of our minds we hope if our luck goes south, there will be someone there for us. The

News flash, doesn’t happen, no one cares.

Put your self first always, and you will discover no such thing as bad luck.

#34 Yuus bin Haad on 07.29.13 at 9:25 pm

What they (mostly) said ↑

#35 Cow Man on 07.29.13 at 9:27 pm

Sir Garth:
No wonder Stephen didn’t like you. Garth is was a compassionate politician who does the right thing when he isn’t even running for office. You just can’t be reasoned with.

#36 TheCatFoodLady on 07.29.13 at 9:28 pm

Smoking Man – shut off the bitter & twisted ‘every man for himself’ persona for just a few minutes, ‘kay? Many of us are aware of the reasons behind apparently selfless compassion – it was the sociological topic de jour a few years back.

So what?

It was a damned kind, compassionate thing to do & lest you forget – 90% of it came out of his own pocket.

#37 Nemesis on 07.29.13 at 9:32 pm

@SmokingMan/#30

You know better. Don’t be so churlish. For example…

[NoteToGT: Not surprisingly... That's precisely what a magnanimous RoadKingRider from Surrey offered to SportMe on a PullOut on the 5A near the junction with the 97C... Evidently, he thought my AlpineStars 'PussySuit' was KoolEnough to merit a 'smoke'. He was 'naked' {no armour/leather}, his RoadKing was a FullyDressed Screamin'Eagle conversion. Still just a FiveSpeed, though. Naturally, I declined politely - as balance is important and stupefying herbs tend to disrupt that.]

#38 Dan on 07.29.13 at 9:52 pm

Well done Garth. I’m proud of you.

#39 Basil Fawlty on 07.29.13 at 10:09 pm

That was very nice of you Garth.

#40 Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 10:13 pm

#36 TheCatFoodLady on 07.29.13 at 9:28 pm

Just in a fowl mod. Suffering from a bad Vegas withdrawal.

I’m glad garth did what he did, it was nice, but man shit happens to people, universe not fair, but all this lovey dovey talk about normal people who have had there lives shattered, there are others out there…

Try this one, give to homeless beggars on the street, they all have a story, but they get no sympathy. But when a train goes of the tracks, or a flood happens, that’s cool to be kind.

But give to a worthless begger, hell that’s not cool. They smell they are not like us.

They have the most amazing real life stories you can ever images.

OK I will shut up….. Now Tired, haven’t steeped in 3 days..

#41 Nemesis on 07.29.13 at 10:17 pm

“Adios, Cabelleros/Mis Amigos…

Pienso que un sueno parecido no volvera mas
Y me pintaba las manos y la cara de azul
Y me improviso el viento rapido me llevo
Y me hizo a volar en el cielo infinito

Volare, oh oh
Cantare, oh oh oh oh
Nel blu dipinto di blu
Felice di stare lassu

Y volando, volando feliz
Yo me encuentro mas alto
Mas alto que el sol
Y mientras que el mundo
Se aleja despacio de mi
Una musica dulce
Se ha tocada solo para mi

Volare, oh oh

Volare, oh oh
Cantare, oh oh oh oh
Nel blu dipinto di blu
Felice di stare lassu

[Volveré en Septiembre ... si el mundo no explota.]

#42 Kris on 07.29.13 at 10:18 pm

Garth, regarding yesterday’s post..

You’ve talked about Boomer sales putting pressure on prices. If young people are holding back home sales by 10%-20%, how does their potential demand in the coming years compare to the potential supply unleashed by the Boomers?

#43 Antoine on 07.29.13 at 10:18 pm

You, sir, are a good man.

#44 East Van on 07.29.13 at 10:18 pm

#45 g2thaBLA on 07.29.13 at 10:21 pm

Looks like roll up the rim is back at Tim Hortons (3rd photo).

#46 Evangeline on 07.29.13 at 10:25 pm

great, great choices

#47 FATHER on 07.29.13 at 10:25 pm

I was renting a 15 year old house for 3000 plus all other expenses heat, gas, cable, lawn care and internet just moved to a 1700 sf basement with aircon. jacuzzi for 1500 everything included. I am now saving more than 2000 per month waiting for interest rates to go to the norm maybe in 3 years so a savings of 72000 + whatever I make off that in investing thank you garth and blog dawgs for making this happen. I used to feel kinda bummy thinking of liv’n in somebodies basement but I am focused now that I might even take over this house or some other house hornies (love that word) house for what I think it is worth but at least I’m still roll’n in my e class gotta have some fun.

#48 FATHER on 07.29.13 at 10:28 pm

and garth that was a very nice thing done (GARTH’S DAW MAN)

#49 pete in barrie on 07.29.13 at 10:29 pm

Nice choices, Garth.

#50 JimH on 07.29.13 at 10:35 pm

Good, Garth!

#51 Bill Gable on 07.29.13 at 10:37 pm

Thank you for perfect choices, Mr. Turner. I am still smiling.

#52 Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 10:37 pm

We have an entire young generation that will develop metal illness In the very near future, yet we egnore it or can’t see it. We feed to our young expectations that can’t be delivered doing things the normal way. They will develop low self esteem, the feeling of failure, and will end up on the street when you parents are gone.

They follow the script, but the rules have changed, our young.

I saw it big time on this trip…

It’s so obvious to me. Not trying to discourage or discourage a kind act by garth, but the way you guys are reacting to it is sickening to someone that sees the future..

And knows where our effort should lie..

#53 Marginal on 07.29.13 at 10:53 pm

#36 TheCatFoodLady
Thank you for your words of wisdom, but don’t throw pearls before…….smoked meat.

#54 Retired WI Boomer on 07.29.13 at 10:54 pm

Great Choices for the generous gifts. There are ALWAYS needs to be met. Not always the poor, but the accident victim, the weather victim, the health victim and more.

Lead on Garth to show us all where we can make that small difference.

Heaven can wait, indeed.

#55 John in Mtl on 07.29.13 at 11:01 pm

Indeed there are many good causes that need our love and support (no matter what S-M thinks) , it can be hard to choose.

As a Quebecer, I want to say a hearty THANK YOU to you, Garth, for your support to all those whose lives have been turned upside down from that fateful rail accident. It is a most kind and generous gesture on your part. I felt compelled to do the same and gave what I could. Those hundreds of families of Lac-Megantic really need our help. I feel very sad for the children who lost a parent or both.

And here I thought you more or less hated us “different” Canadians.

John

#56 Dad on 07.29.13 at 11:03 pm

I adopted a cat from Kim once and she helped me adopt from a second shelter, called the last chance cat ranch in Lethbridge. Unfortunately it too was lost this year, in a fire which killed nearly every cat inside the shelter.

#57 John in Mtl on 07.29.13 at 11:08 pm

#17 eddy on 07.29.13 at 8:10 pm:
“There is a Canadian podcaster named abirato who says Lac-Mégantic was an outsourced psyop”

Aw, c’mon man, not everything is a conspiracy. This is not tue USA (yet!).

Quebec investigators are really hard nosed and hard working, they will out the truth in public, whatever that truth may be – just look at how they deal with corruption these days. The accident sure points to negligence so far, as well as lax regulation in the name of the almighty dollar and sacrosaint “ekonomy”.

John

#58 Freedom First on 07.29.13 at 11:09 pm

It is very wise to know that the “bad” exists in the world but to know to always live in the “good”. I have met many human “Angels” in my life. In tough times they are easy to see.

Garth, thank you for all the good you do:) ……

#59 Victoria the original on 07.29.13 at 11:10 pm

:-)

#60 balblabla on 07.29.13 at 11:32 pm

“there are others out there…”

It’s hard to choose where to allocated limited resources…don’t have to look too far for a bottomless pit of stretched-out hands which will give you donor fatigue before you even give out a dollar…

A couple different ones collecting for Alberta flooding as well:

#61 Carpe Diem on 07.29.13 at 11:40 pm

1. I think the donation choices were awesome!
2. I cut and pasted one of them since I already rescued one cat this month… and its keeping me up at night!
3. SM .. someday you talk shit, some days you say awesome think but today you shouldn’t talk at all.
4. Lac-Mégantic Support Fund … I’m going to look this up now. Maybe I should swing down there and support the local economy while in QC next month!

#62 KommyKim on 07.29.13 at 11:41 pm

RE: #40 Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 10:13 pm

I have to agree with you SM. Some victims seem to be more “deserving” than others in the public’s mind.

But it is still a good thing that Garth has done. He could have done nothing at all and kept it for himself. Kudos to you Garth.

#63 Carpe Diem on 07.29.13 at 11:42 pm

SM … notice the mistakes I made #3 .. that’s for you dude!

#64 Peter Menard on 07.29.13 at 11:43 pm

Thanks Garth for the best post of the year!

#65 Mr. Anderson on 07.29.13 at 11:50 pm

One word….kudos.

#66 DaninCalgary on 07.30.13 at 12:02 am

Smoking Man, while you gripe and moan, my still muddy boots in the doorway show you’re wrong.

I make a shitload of dough, could have easily spent that and my time during the floods at Melrose getting drunk and looking up miniskirts as I walked up the stairs from the boys room. Instead I took time off to go shovel mud and debris from the basements of senior citizens in my neighbourhood. The thank you signs in the windows on 25th are almost as much satisfaction as the three-way I may have given up.

I give to food banks and shelters, not beggars. Bread instead of beer!

I hope when it’s my turn, people’s boots are laced and your attitude is noticeably absent. Perhaps left in Vegas, with your donation funds and soul.

#67 Devore on 07.30.13 at 12:10 am

#33 Smoking Man

Do you think you could give up your pathetic sociopathic shtick for just one day? Maybe?

#68 Waterloo Resident on 07.30.13 at 12:25 am

The Lac-Mégantic disaster could have easily been prevented simply by the rail company using an easily available piece of railway equipment, cost of around only $600.

They are called ‘ RAIL SKIDS ‘, and they would have prevented this problem 100%.

This is the web site that sells them ($300 each, 2 required to prevent a run-away train.)

They are flat metal plates that fit over on top the the rail, and at the end of the plate are large steel wedges that stop the train dead.

The idling train is slowly rolled up and over the metal plat until the wheels of the locomotive or freignt car presses up against the curved wedge end of the unit. The massive weight of the wheel on the skid keeps it from sliding on the rail, and this stops the train form moving.

Two of these things, for only $600 total cost, would have prevented all of that mess and huge waste.

Quote from the site:

“Cast-steel rail skids (or “skates”) can be used as wheel chocks or as car-stopping devices for slowly moving freight cars. Skids are also a low-profile chock for idling locomotives.
As a Wheel Chock: Place skid on each rail a few feet in front of stopped car. Slowly roll car forward so wheels can mount skids. Apply car brakes.”

#69 Nodebt on 07.30.13 at 12:40 am

Hey Garth ! Good choices, I’ll donate 500$$ to each charity as well! Please post the email addresses, thanks keep up the great work with the blog!

#70 Rural Rick on 07.30.13 at 1:12 am

Well done and thank you. You have earned the admiration of small children and blog dogs. These are very worthy choices.

#71 Burnt Norton on 07.30.13 at 1:44 am

Thanks Garth. Inspirational words. I’ve matched the donations.

PS. Smoking Man is an asshat.

#72 Donald Trump on 07.30.13 at 1:52 am

Smoking Man…

Can you and your bullsh*t get a Vegas wedding and check into a motel that has a meter?

Thanks.

#73 FTP - First Time Poster on 07.30.13 at 1:54 am

A true gentleman you are Garth. The last of a fading breed.

#74 betamax on 07.30.13 at 2:46 am

Great post, great donations. Thanks.

#75 John Smith on 07.30.13 at 2:58 am

What happened in Lac Megantic was a huge tragedy…

Thanks Garth, your help is much appreciated

#76 i love libraries on 07.30.13 at 3:53 am

Thank you for your kindness, may it multiply like your dividends and returns.

#77 George the 7th on 07.30.13 at 5:49 am

Good choices. Every bit helps.

#78 JohnInJimsRiding on 07.30.13 at 6:06 am

Thank you.

#79 Captain Obvious on 07.30.13 at 6:36 am

@#6 CrowdedElevatorfartz

#80 Bob Loblaw on 07.30.13 at 6:42 am

Good on ya, mate!

#81 BillyBob on 07.30.13 at 7:10 am

I applaud Mr. Turner’s donations, as I believe firmly in giving back where possible. It would be too easy to think there’s no point in even trying to make a difference, yet that would be quite a hopeless outlook.

But…I also completely agree with Smoking Man. The next generation or two really will be the Lost Generation. Trying to do things the same way as usual…isn’t working. A problem far more vast even than these local, albeit tragic, disasters.

I don’t think the two viewpoints are incompatible. It seems there are a few posters who may be new to the blog and so don’t yet have a grasp of what SM is about.

#82 The real Kip on 07.30.13 at 7:20 am

Did you get hit by lightning? Abducted by aliens? Usually you just tell people how stupid they are for living in those places then blame government for everything.

#83 fancy_pants on 07.30.13 at 8:05 am

bravo, a pleasant reprieve from the norm. Love conquers all.

#84 Darwin on 07.30.13 at 8:22 am

I am a first-time poster, though I have read this blog with enjoyment a for long time. A thread of decency and ethics always ran through your advice on real estate/financial matters, and here it is confirmed. Thank-you very much, Garth.

#85 rosie "moving forward" on 07.30.13 at 8:33 am

What $750000 gets you in France. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2381312/The-magical-French-chateau-costs-London-flat.html

#86 amazon girl on 07.30.13 at 8:38 am

God bless you Garth,THANK YOU

#87 sciencemonkey on 07.30.13 at 8:53 am

@52 Smoking Man,
Please go into more detail on this topic. Also, what made you take a personal interest?

#88 CrowdedElevatorfartz on 07.30.13 at 9:05 am

@# 79.
Thanks Captain !

#89 The real Kip on 07.30.13 at 9:13 am

Redemption for $900? Hilarious!

#90 tyrone on 07.30.13 at 9:25 am

#85rosie “moving forward” on 07.30.13 at 8:33 am
What $750000 gets you in France. ……

Pfft, what a hole.

I’d rather have the Leaside semi with 30′ of frontage :)

#91 Agio on 07.30.13 at 9:33 am

Smoking Man @ 52
Usually I zip by your feckless meanderings faster than a roadrunner jacked on speed but seriously, where was the money to go? It was a grand, not a 100k. Turner picked immediacy where a grand might actually help. I’m not all misty eyed abut it but it was a decent and as I said, may make provide the most bang for the buck.
Mental Illness and the stigma attached to it are not, I repeat not, appropriate for a 1k donation. To who? For what? The efficacy would be nil.
Watch this video-this is how you start the change.

#92 Toronto_CA on 07.30.13 at 9:43 am

Bless you Garth, for all you’ve done for Canadians (including the furry kind). Not just with the donations disclosed above but for helping everyone out with this blog, which you do for free day in and day out.

#93 Holy Crap WheresThe Tylenol on 07.30.13 at 9:43 am

Way to go Garth, Kudos for your demonstrative donation. This is what the world really needs. Small acts of compassion by the masses amount to large changes and entire world. I regularly donate to certain causes. As for the poor souls living on the street when I am downtown I always buy and extra coffee with cream and sugar packs separate and an extra box of mixed donuts or breakfast bagel to hand them as I exit the door. I don’t usually have cash on hand as I live and work off of plastic so it is impracticable to hand off change. My philosophy is that I have helped to feed someone but not enabled him or her to put the cash towards an unconstructive vice. I also donate regularly to an agency that helped my parents when they lost everything in Hurricane Hazel in 1954. I was just a child and I recall my parents and neighbors lost everything, clothes, cars, and homes. We had nothing except the clothes on our backs. This agency (SA) fed us, clothed us and provided shelter for two months. I had celebrated a Christmas living in the basement of a church that year. If it had not been for the generosity of others our family would have been destitute for decades I’m sure. My father and mother worked harder to catch up and put my siblings and myself through university. They taught me firstly compassion and giving starts at home. When that is engrained in your psyche you have a foundation from which you can easily empathize with others whom are less fortunate.

#94 45north on 07.30.13 at 10:15 am

Timing is Everything: Jethro Tull very nice

Nemesis: Gypsy Kings nice too

Smoking Man: when you’re down and out

#95 calgary rip off on 07.30.13 at 10:33 am

@ Smoking Man: “We have an entire young generation that will develop metal illness In the very near future, yet we egnore it or can’t see it.”

There are many ways to develop “metal illness” as you call it. Heavy metal music can be a focus to alleviate anxiety and so affordable both to listen to and play, take your pick: Drums, keyboards, guitars maybe $100 or so and you are up and practicing. You could have copper pipes in your house and stagnant drinking water could offset the zinc in your body causing the stress of high blood copper levels.

I dont eegnore problems. I fix them. So should you. And cut back on your drinking and smoking please. Your loved ones will thank you.

The smart person not only develops skills but learns where and who to ask for help. It takes a humble and smart person to admit they need help and when they get the help to take it. This interaction benefits the giver and receiver. You assume that persons receiving help will be powerless to learn how to give and benefit others in the future. It may take a while but it pays to keep the oath.

#96 :):( Ying Yang on 07.30.13 at 10:38 am

#52 Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 10:37 pm
They follow the script, but the rules have changed, our young.
I saw it big time on this trip…
And knows where our effort should lie..

Smoking Man when my parents are gone I will not be walking the streets with low self-esteem but inheriting a rather large sum of cash. I am sure that quite a few million others will be also doing the same. The baby boomers have amassed large investment funds and real estate. Even if the value of the real estate drops it is still quite a chunk of change. I do not feel disillusioned at all; life is what ever gets thrown at you. You deal with it and sally forth. That is what my parents told me. When I graduated from University I did not get the job I wanted until at least 3 years. What my expectations are and what is reality are two different issues. Once I figured out that I couldn’t have what it took my parents decades to achieve I simply adapted and worked towards my goal. BTW my goal line has changed several times as with the economic times. My friends are all in the same boat as I am we inherit what the last generation gives us, good or bad. I am sure previous generations have gone through worse than what my generation has. I do not know what you saw in Las Vegas but when I was there two weeks ago the local economy appeared to be doing fine? Cash was flowing freely. So was the free booze, Smoking Man did you take my suggestion and play at Carta Privada in and Aria? Great table games and the girls are quite nice.

#97 bill on 07.30.13 at 10:41 am

well done Garth!

#98 Goody Niosi on 07.30.13 at 10:42 am

Thank you, Garth. Really great choices.

#99 Grantmi on 07.30.13 at 10:46 am

#87 sciencemonkey on 07.30.13 at 8:53 am

@52 Smoking Man,

Sea Monkey.. please don’t encourage SM. It’s bad enough we have to read his unsolicited delusional Psychobabble day in day out.. 10 times a day.

ask him a question.. and he’ll triple it.

#100 Grantmi on 07.30.13 at 10:47 am

And … Garth-O. Well done on the charities. Nice touch.

#101 sciencemonkey on 07.30.13 at 11:14 am

@99 Grantmi,
I’m a sciencemonkey, not a seamonkey. I like SM, his posts are very important for reminding non-smoking men (goody two shoes) like myself how the world really works.

However I find it equally interesting that SM has taken an interest in the goody two shoes. Does he feel altruistic, or is it someone he knows personally that he worries about? Perhaps it’s simply an awareness that the machine may go too far in grinding the little guy under its heel, leading to instability in the system?

#102 Form Man on 07.30.13 at 11:25 am

interesting information here. check Shiller’s comments at the end of the article.

#103 Sign of the Times on 07.30.13 at 11:39 am

The friends I mentioned last week (he’s a Shoppers Drug Mart owner pulling in $200k plus a year and she’s a teacher pulling in $60k a year) closed on their purchase and sale of a home in a Vancouver suburb yesterday. Home purchased for just under $1M with a mortgage cost of $720k after $150k in gifts from the parents. My guess is a little one is on the way, so they’ll likely be down to one salary within the year; with the recent Loblaws acquisition that $200k doesn’t sound sustainable either. Sigh…I feel like I’m watching this train wreck play out in slow motion…

#104 Ogopogo on 07.30.13 at 11:43 am

Compassion and empathy are the noblest human traits. Garth, you’ve inspired us all to match your example. Today I’m even more proud to count myself as one of your fans.

#105 CantRememberMyName on 07.30.13 at 11:50 am

#30Smoking Man on 07.29.13 at 9:11 pm
—————————–
Ain’t that the Truth. Ugly, but true nevertheless.

But, a sincere gesture on Garth’s part to contribute to two very sad circumstances in the recent past.

#106 Reddy on 07.30.13 at 12:00 pm

Garth – too much drivel on your blog, so I used to ‘search-find’ for your comments only. Lately, the search for ‘–Garth’ has been replaced by a search for ‘Smoking Man’. You’ve got competition :)

Appreciate your posting Smoking Man — Not too many people who will tell you like it really is. I guess others dont get it… Really funny how you posted a while back about not being a smoker yet people continue to post that you are. I have a hard time tolerating stupidity.

#107 Paul on 07.30.13 at 12:01 pm

Well done Garth. Good choices.

#108 salama6898 on 07.30.13 at 12:25 pm

Is it a good time to buy bank preferred shares? Would Perfered share goes down as intertest rates going up?
Thanks

#109 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 12:33 pm

August 1st is the big day so opened up the dreaded letter for rent renewal, as always pay early. There were two signed copies for my new rent going forward month to month against the original rent agreement in the form of contracts. I had to look twice as this was a shocker for me, and hammered a cheque quickly, as this must have been a boo boo; my new rent payable had been discounted sharply. I say a deal is a deal, so am sitting back to see what happens next, but this is a huge corporation and might jive with their computer setup. I just know this is going to be trouble!

#110 Intuitive Missus on 07.30.13 at 12:36 pm

Double Whammy.
From today’s Globe & Mail.
“Following severe weather in Alberta and the Greater Toronto Area, it was clear that Toronto-Dominion Bank’s insurance division would take a hit.
And those who follow insurance had heard rumblings of problems stemming from Ontario insurance legislation.
But the one element of the bank’s new three-tier charge that caught people off guard is the hit to its real estate lending portfolio. TD is recognizing a provision of up to $125-million, or $93-million after tax, to account for loan losses.”

#111 Squatter on 07.30.13 at 12:54 pm

Very good choices Garth.
You are getting so popular!
You should start a new Blog Dogs Party next federal election! I’ll vote for you!

#112 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 1:01 pm

This was all done on Version 31/01/2007 approved by the Landlord and Tenant Board which is a one page contract. It states what my new rent will be as at August 1, 2013 signed by the agent acting for the principal in duplicate. Hey, who am I to argue about this all as Santa Claus came early. :) Oh Boy!

#113 T.O. Bubble Boy on 07.30.13 at 1:11 pm

Just for “eddy”, who has complained about the lack of Leaside Bungalows (ref: http://www.greaterfool.ca/2013/07/18/consequences-part-deux/#comment-252063)

Here you have — a $800k tear-down!

#114 Suede on 07.30.13 at 1:12 pm

Garth – Bravo for unearthing some good causes

—————————–

FB stock is up 75% in a month. The hype is back for the time being.

#115 Donald Trump on 07.30.13 at 1:44 pm

#103 Sign of the Times on 07.30.13 at 11:39 am

==================================

Sigh….

More and more convinced people have a self destruct gene. Read recently that it is not so much you inherit a specific bad gene that actively manifests itself, its there with an On /Off switch.

I guess that why its called House horniness…its an epidemic that has been triggered and common sense shut off.

#116 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 2:14 pm

#115 Donald Trump – I owned a block of stock in Shoppers Drugmart which I blew off, and there is no such thing as an owner, except for the Pharmacist who has a special status, and his annual income for the most part averages about $120,000 a year.

#117 happy on 07.30.13 at 2:37 pm

This 4-bedroom bungalow built in 1957 in Vancouver can be yours for a cool $1.55 million!

#118 happy on 07.30.13 at 2:42 pm

This 3-bedroom bungalow built in 1956 in Vancouver can be yours for a cool $1.638 million.

#119 Nosty El MaddioVladdio on 07.30.13 at 2:51 pm

Neat choices and well done!
#17 eddy and #68 Waterloo Resident – You may be on to something. Humanity is expendable. Why was the necessary equipment not in place?

#52 Smoking Man, #62 KommyKim and #81 BillyBob — Exc. post SM. Yet again you have cut a wide swath of opinions, so causing people to think critically (which most don’t).

Remember when the Christ was walking around a few eons ago, he also managed to piss a lot of people off because he wouldn’t ‘conform’ to the establishment’s rules. Interesting person — he was a member of the Essenes, a Jewish sect.

Pity there are so many dimwits here who won’t see the forest for the trees.

Along with the train disasters in Que., Spain, Switzerland, the tanker-truck accident in Slocan Lake (Kootenays, BC) the other day, and to paraphrase #3 Mike — “Or is it really getting a crazier out there in the world every day?” –In a word, yes. To quote no one in particular, “We ain’t seen nuthin’ yet.”

These are some of the more mundane things of this world (and beyond) happening, such as here, here, here, here and here (these two are connected), here (inflation), here (Hastings was murdered and Snowden got out just in time), and here.

#120 Sign of the Times on 07.30.13 at 2:53 pm

#115 Donald Trump, #116 Old Man:

The salary is north of $200k due to additional revenue from medication reviews and store profit (I’ve seen the tax returns). I can’t see that gravy train continuing with Loblaws in the picture now.

The big mortgage and horniness won’t help the situation…though maybe it’s just a “normal” Vancouver mortgage?

#121 westcdn on 07.30.13 at 3:42 pm

I laud your choices for charitable contributions, they show forethought. Personally, the hardest decisions I make are which causes to support or help. I would rather support/help an individual than an organization. I am not a Ghandi – “the best way to get back on your feet is get off your butt”. I can only hope I contribute wisely because my means are average.

#122 Donald Trump on 07.30.13 at 3:54 pm

Belcarra cabin dwellers waiting to hear if eviction sticks
Metro Vancouver owns the land, wants to bulldoze seven cabins to make way for a trail

BELCARRA (NEWS1130) – Tenants of a handful of cabins nestled along the waterfront of Belcarra Park are waiting for Metro Vancouver to get back to them this week on whether they can stay in their homes.

The seven cottages are on Metro Vancouver land and leased yearly to those who live in them full-time.

Jo Ledingham, who has lived in one of the cabins for over 40 years, says they got the eviction notice in February, and have been fighting to stay ever since.

====================

Not the first and not the last leasehold nightmare

#123 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 3:57 pm

The store profit has nothing whatsoever to do with the Pharmacist, as he gets nothing except with his special status as an independent owner, and the average earnings is about $120,000. Now know this takeover came about so what now? I cannot comprehend a crossing of products, whereby, there would be an advantage as will become a plus here, and a minus there as an economic equation. I get this not.

#124 Donald Trump on 07.30.13 at 4:01 pm

Shop owners by Kits bike lane route worried about business
Council has approved $6-million plan

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Work on Vancouver’s newest bike route is expected to begin this fall and it has business owners in the area worried.

City Council has approved the controversial $6-million plan for the Kits bike lane. The route will run from the Burrard Bridge to Jericho Beach. It will mean a one-kilometre stretch of Point Grey Road, west of Macdonald will be open to local traffic only, re-routing thousands to West 4th.

The plan will create separated bike lanes and widened sidewalks on York Road.

Business owners along West 4th think it will mean more traffic but fewer shoppers who don’t want to deal with the congestion.

=================================

My guess is that the game plan is to justify another Canada Line extension , given COV has no unused land to build on but policy is to rezone commercial strips to high density residential.

This would also “conveniently” dovetail nicely with a line all the way out to UBC which they have long coveted.

#125 :):( Ying Yang on 07.30.13 at 4:20 pm

#106 Reddy on 07.30.13 at 12:00 pm

He is a smoker we just discussed this last week!
I’m a smoker, hes a smoker, were all smoking!

#126 happy on 07.30.13 at 4:35 pm

Floods in Calgary and Toronto…and record-breaking sunshine in Vancouver! Vancouver may not be the best place on Earth, but this July has been the sunniest in history. As long as it doesn’t rain today or tomorrow, we’re on track to have NO RAIN AT ALL RECORDED at YVR for the entire month of July! Sure makes up for the last few summers! From CBC:

“Vancouver has surpassed its previous record for sunniest month ever after racking up more than 388.1 hours of glorious sunshine by 8 a.m. PT Tuesday morning.

According to Environment Canada, Vancouver’s previous record for the sunniest month was set in July of 1985.

Assuming there is no rain on Wednesday, this July will also be first time on record a whole calendar month was completely dry in Vancouver.”

#127 Canadian Watchdog on 07.30.13 at 4:46 pm

#124 Donald Trump

UN Agenda 21 must go on, so if local residents continue to allow non-elected global officials to dictate how their city is shaped, then they get what they deserve.

If you want to know what Vancouver housing will look like in 20 years, see here. Don't take my word for it. Go read the City's publications. That's the plan.

#128 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 5:08 pm

I am going to step up on this blog, as the Smoking Man is a cool dude in my book, and believe in freedom of speech, as stop trashing him for his coments and views in life. The medium is the message which is being controlled by the Ministry of Truth in Canada, and if we as citizens do not stand up and fight against Caesar we will end up being a Totalitarian Government with no freedoms at all.

#129 Gregor Samsa on 07.30.13 at 5:19 pm

Hi Garth, I just matched your $500 donation to the Lac-Mégantic Support Fund.

While I commend your compassion towards pets, I will not be matching this donation. Pet cats kill millions of wild songbirds each year. This year, there are widespread reports of plummeting songbird populations. Most people are oblivious to songbirds, but when they are gone, you will notice.

I think I will give my other $500 to The Nature Conservancy of Canada.

#130 Devore on 07.30.13 at 5:23 pm

#52 Smoking Man

They follow the script, but the rules have changed, our young.

This is such BS. The rules have always been changing, and always will. This premise that today is different and special, that generations past had it better/easier/nicer, is a fallacy of the highest order. Every generation has had challenges to deal with and to overcome. Every generation has had to deal with change. They were different than the issues we have to deal with today, but they were no less important or difficult to conquer. They seem less significant to us, because they are in the past, reduced to soundbites and paragraphs in history books, and we no longer have to deal with them.

You seem to believe you are special and hold unique insight. Your solution is to be a sociopathic opportunist. This works great, in the same way a parasite can thrive while its host is healthy and alive. But you are assuming these are special times and sudden, sweeping changes are taking place, that require drastic measures to take advantage of.

Newsflash. This is nothing new. The “rules” were different yesterday, and the vast majority of people were able to adjust to the new conditions like normal human beings, while getting along with each other. The more able and clever ones were able to get ahead. Same thing today. Same thing tomorrow. You do not need to step over the grandma ahead of you to make something of yourself and be successful.

I saw it big time on this trip…

Explains a lot.

#131 Devore on 07.30.13 at 5:33 pm

#62 KommyKim

These are two different things.

Flood victims, or victims of natural or unnatural disasters, require some temporary assistance to overcome temporary difficulties. You are addressing their fundamental problem, and helping them close the gap.

If you just give money to a beggar on the street, you are solving or addressing nothing. You are doing nothing to address his fundamental problems. If you want to be actually helpful, give food, offer to pay for some day labour, or donate to community organizations working with homeless to give them a hand up.

And yes, some “victims” are more deserving of immediate help than others. Sorry if you find that offensive. You can think of it as triage, if that makes you feel better. Resources are limited. We can’t just give them out to whomever has a hand out.

#132 Holy Crap Where's The Tylenol on 07.30.13 at 5:39 pm

#128 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 5:08 pm

Er tu Brute?

#133 indigoblue on 07.30.13 at 5:51 pm

That’s awesome.

And to think, Stephen Harper thought you were an a$$hole.

Could he have been wrong?

#134 bob on 07.30.13 at 5:56 pm

the only emotion that can change the course of humanity is unconditional compassion for your fellow human and in times of human suffering the out pouring of love raises the energetic vibration of all mankind. This is proven by Masaru Emoto, a scientist who shows how various emotions literally change water crystals and our bodies are mostly water so we change our frequency through heartfelt emotion and raise the planet’s vibration or “schumann resonance”.

#135 Smoking Man on 07.30.13 at 6:01 pm

Seams I have opened a hornets nest.

Where in my posts have I chirped the great Garth for his nice donation, I just know that as generous as it was it’s not going to help the victims. It’s not going to lift there spirit. They will get over it.

Not an hour ago Their was kid on the way to union station, sitting down with a sign. Need money, he was pathetic to look at.

I don’t care what he uses it for, if he wants drugs, or booze how can I judge that, he’s life is pathetic, his next move might be to dive in front of a subway.

I dropped 5 toonies in his cup, I did not hang around for thank yous 2 min to catch my train.

One thing I know for sure, he’s not jumping today.

But you fricken band wagers, hypocritical cheerleaders anoy me.

What have you done today to hopefully turn around a troubled soul.

Especially you Devor

#136 Donald Trump on 07.30.13 at 6:02 pm

#96 :):( Ying Yang on 07.30.13 at 10:38 am

==================================

Actually, your parents just got a registered letter that there was a mix -up at the maternity ward. Sorry about that.

For others….don’t count yer chickens on the inheritance front. My understanding is that if your parents have say assets like a large /valuable house…they will not get a free ride re : health care, they will have to cash in assets ie sell the house.

#137 rower on 07.30.13 at 6:03 pm

Great choices, Garth. Thank you for your kindness.

@#129 The more money that animal shelters get in donations, the more cats they can spay/neuter. Fewer cats means more songbirds. Everything is connected.

#138 PoorgEoisie on 07.30.13 at 6:04 pm

Hey Garth and everybody, I know it has been a while but I began to realize my contributions were limited to strictly railway matters and as such I have sprung forth from my new cave in MTL (moved from TO) to say that most of what we see in the news is either misinformed or misleading. November will mark 13 years of what was supposed to be a 5 year stint in a blue collar job in my ascension to political greatness. For some reason (money) I got on the railway and strayed away from “my field” (Econ/poly sci). Lac Mégantic is certainly a tragedy that could have been prevented and for myself the blame lies with management (full disclosure I’m a former local chairman for teamsters rail canada). After the locomotive fire and subsequent shutdown, different rules applied to the locomotives and cars left behind however the company sent people who were not qualified in these rules to oversee the scene.
I am not good with links but if you are so inclined check Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR) rule 112 and CN GOI (general operating instructions) section 7.12 and you will find the requirements for securing trains. You will also notice there is a separate rule GOI 7.12(j) for trains with locos left running and although I’m speculating I’m rather certain the engineer left the train as per regulation (full set automatic and independent with one handbrake on the lead locomotive) but after the fire and shutdown a different rule applied. The company for whatever reason sent unqualified personnel to the scene and the train rolled away.
All press releases by MM&A have been made by business people with no experience in train movement and are either inadvertently erroneous or deliberately misleading. By saying that the engineer claimed to have placed 11 handbrakes on the train tells me that they are somehow off as current rules require a max of 5 handbrakes (or 10 in a double handbrake zone). On top of that we all know that the lead loco was left running and as per GOI 7.12(j) only 1 handbrake is required so why would he put an extra 10 handbrakes?
I will try to avoid being overly technical but if you will allow me the following analogy: if you broke your arm at work and your boss sent you a dentist and your arm became infected and had to be amputated who’s at fault? You? Your arm? The dentist?
Anyways I should venture back into my hole for those who wish to investigate this incident further I urge you to familiarize yourself with the railway phrase “bottling the air” as this has been the cause of nearly every runaway in the last 100 years and in my opinion the cause of this one (once the loco was shutdown). Thank you Garth and any others who have contributed to charity for this tragedy

#139 Snowboid on 07.30.13 at 6:06 pm

#116 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 2:14 pm…

Just talked to my local pharmacist/owner and he says the $ 120K is the minimum annual income, not average. He said $ 200K is quite conceivable in a larger store – they do have profit sharing based on store performance.

Maybe it’s different back east?

#140 Donald Trump on 07.30.13 at 6:11 pm

#127 Canadian Watchdog on 07.30.13 at 4:46 pm
=================================

At least you get it…..I wonder how many have even heard of Agenda 21?

People just do NOT get it….this is a communistic platform….central planning. Any local input and dialogue is token. They hide under the guises of “Smart Growth” etc.

Vancouver citizens just accept it…these nutbars on COV council must have Che Guevarra underwear , Mao’s red book and the communist flag over the bed.

#141 Alex N Calgary on 07.30.13 at 6:29 pm

Hey Garth! good on you! You write well about things non real-estate related as well, Keep it up!

#142 Smoking Man on 07.30.13 at 6:43 pm

Let’s face it, there is a stigma attached to actually giving directly to homeless bums. Would you want people you work with to see you don’t that?

No friken way, I do but I don’t give a shit

We the collective are going to starve that pathetic kid with a mental illness till he agrees to work for a corporate giant for minum wage. Do any of you not see how f your thinking is.

Their some kind of force out their in the universe, now don’t get me wrong I haven’t gone insane enough to believe in god. But it’s a force.

The trade I put on before my trip to Vegas won huge, paid for the next 10 trips, happens all the time to me so no big surprise..

But this next thing freaked me out.

Sitting next to my wife playing gold fish game in Vegas, I’m getting hammered, to point don’t want to walk.

The game has a random, bounce, 13 or 14 bubbles appear on the screen each having a dollar value. Within the bubbles there is one that says award all. Huge pay out. You get all the bubbles.

Over the course of the next 3 hours the bouns hit. 9 times.

And I picked, award all every single time. The odds are astnomacial to even do it 3 times in a row.

She asked me how I did that.

I said cause I’m a smoking man.

She was puzzled…

Then I should my new tattoo. The force is with me.

#143 Chopper on 07.30.13 at 7:07 pm

Kudos to you Garth, and good choices on where to send the money. I think we should all remember humans come first before animals, without us humans there will be no pets.

So you did well G.T, small token but noble. God Bless you.

#144 Canadian Watchdog on 07.30.13 at 7:39 pm

#139 Donald Trump

Mao’s red book and the communist flag over the bed.

And in the office. The City is selling off everything to Chinese developers and SOEs who have already bribed and infiltrated city council. I'm afraid it may be too late for Van.

#145 lawboy on 07.30.13 at 7:58 pm

Wasn’t this property featured in the G&M’s ‘what they got’ series about six months ago? Does anyone have the comparator list or sale price?

#146 jess on 07.30.13 at 8:02 pm

“Zero-hours contracts –flexible workforce for whom?

#147 Rapier Wit on 07.30.13 at 8:07 pm

How ever virtually, I am proud to know you.

#148 Old Man on 07.30.13 at 8:07 pm

#138 Snowboid – thanks for you educating me as had no idea a pharmacist at Shoppers Drugmart would have a profit sharing plan based on a stores gross sales performance to make big money. I learn something every day.

#149 espressobob on 07.30.13 at 8:14 pm

#135 Smoking Man

It seems todays post & comments are not about you! If more people think the way you do, man are we in trouble! Get over yourself! Charity is community, but somehow I don’t you get it?

#150 WhiteKat on 07.30.13 at 8:29 pm

Both are worthy causes. It was a good idea to split the donation between them.

#151 jess on 07.30.13 at 8:58 pm

lines drawn between the good and the bad

================
aren’t just in the basement
the unemployed employed

Guy Standing is professor of development studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, and author of The Precariat: The New Dangerous Class
Why zero-hours contracts remind me of the horrors of 1990s Russia

He writes :

….”It is eerily reminiscent of what happened after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when millions of workers were kept on enterprise employment rolls without pay or benefits. Silly economists in Britain said low unemployment meant the Russian labour market was flexible. Meanwhile, millions died prematurely, starving, killing themselves or becoming pale shadows of human beings. I witnessed that and will never forget it….

crowdworking

The author continues by saying: “this new flexible labour, required to bid online for tiny tasks and paid a pittance or nothing at all if the “requesters” so decide. The latter can do this with impunity.
============
18 Ways to Earn Money From Crowdworking

#152 jess on 07.30.13 at 9:21 pm

140 Donald Trump

JP Morgan to pay $410m in penalties for manipulating electricity prices
Regulators said the bank used improper strategies to squeeze payments from agencies which run midwestern power grids

Does this mean the women who sold their wedding rings to pay the gas –will have them returned?

========

#153 alex on 07.30.13 at 9:30 pm

Thank you Garth, we are closer than the politicians would like us to believe!

#154 NorthOne on 07.30.13 at 9:48 pm

Thanks Garth!

#155 Cici on 07.30.13 at 9:49 pm

You are an honourable man, Garth Turner.

Thank you for your donations, especially to the folks in Lac-Mégantic. Quebec is my adoptive home, and I love the region and its people. Your generosity has touched me deeply, especially since I myself have not donated yet (I was waiting to see how much the train company was going to give in addition to the federal and provincial $ contributions, and thinking that I might be better off giving directly to a shelter or specialized fund). But I trust your opinion and faith in the Red Cross, so I make a $100 donation tonight.
Good night and thanks again Garth.

#156 Wibur on 07.31.13 at 3:20 pm

Hello Garth,
with quantitative easing in the US, I am wondering about what you think will transpire in the months to come?
Interest rates are going to rise in the US, which will put pressure on US companies that have experienced a 17% to 30% increase this year.
Companies did experience a bit of a correction in May/June but, that seems to have corrected for the most part.
Do you feel the next 5 months the US stock market shall be bearish or bullish?
Some analysts are now thinking the market will turn bearish and think that the S & P 500 will finish out the year at approx 1575
What are your thoughts?

#157 Elise on 07.31.13 at 4:05 pm

I just want to thank you for donating to these two causes. Your post brought tears to my eyes, as animal rights are very dear to me and Lac Megantic is an awful event that will require years of cleaning and rebuilding to restore that beautiful community.

I’m going to be making a donation to the Red Cross as well, so thank you for bringing attention to these causes that need our attention. Let’s do this again!