Our day

candians

When first elected to the House of Commons I was, like most shiny new members, driven to improve my country. Getting elected, after all, is a badly flawed process. Few succeed. Those who make it through must have a compelling reason to leave a career or a family in the dust.

Soon it becomes apparent parties and voters have different agendas. Party leaders want MPs to go home and tell the people why the government is smart and competent. Voters want MPs to go to Ottawa and tell the government what needs fixing. In the end, most elected people fuss over this compromise, and end up working for the leader, not the people. To do otherwise is political death.

So the second time I was elected, 13 years after the first, I decided that Canada, as represented by the people in my district, would come first. The party second. That included the prime minister.

My fight was for tax, pension and mortgage reform – goals the middle-class families who elected me wanted. Some things I won, but I also lost my seat. This was guaranteed after the party and the prime minister punted me for not being a team player, for blogging about what should be, and for questioning the wisdom of the political gods. Never underestimate the impact of losing your job, live, on national television. Doing the right thing seems less heroic when your wife is in tears.

Five years on, here I am. No longer an MP (since clearly I don’t fit the mould) my parliament is a pathetic blog where the struggle for common sense continues. Nobody pays me to do this, nor would I want it. For here there’s no agenda save the ongoing struggle to rescue people from their own misadventures, to inform, and lobby for constructive change.

Lately, as I detailed how we’ve lost our way, some posters have accused me of not supporting our country enough, for lacking that boosterism which many think defines nationalism. I’ve seen that quality before. In the eyes of colleagues on the floor of the House of Commons, for example, where principles are traded so easily for a coveted title, a vast office or political advancement. My days have taught me the best way to make anything better is to fix what’s broken. Especially something as acutely valuable as Canada.

Happy Canada Day.

#1 Andrewski on 06.30.13 at 5:57 pm

Happy Canada Day (1 day early) to All that live in the best country in the world!

#2 MD on 06.30.13 at 5:57 pm

Garth, you have nothing to apologize for, in fact we need more folks to deliver the “hard” truth. What we don’t need is more politicians blowing smoke and sunshine up our butts

Happy Canada Day blog dogs

#3 craig on 06.30.13 at 6:01 pm

Good post Garth !

#4 prairie person on 06.30.13 at 6:01 pm

Well spoken. The system is flawed. The conflict is not just one party against the electorate but every party against the electorate. It is a system that needs changing. Your story is one I’ve heard from other people who have gone into politics and been punted or left disillusioned. Good people done in by the system. Stay the course.

#5 y&d on 06.30.13 at 6:03 pm

Thanks Garth – we need more like you.

Hey you said the other day that when rates go up and money flees the bond market some of it will start chasing stocks. Which I think makes sense – the money has to be invested someplace, right?

But it seems the common patter for the financial “talking heads” is that rising rates are bad for stocks?

So I am confused – comments anyone?

#6 unbalanced on 06.30.13 at 6:10 pm

Keep up the struggle. Just remember when the going gets TUFF, the Tuff get going. I for one appreciate your hard work here. Its too bad there are so many loose wack jobs that come here to harass. They should just stay quiet and watch Maury.

#7 craig on 06.30.13 at 6:10 pm

No I’m not a gold bug but some gold stocks are looking ok right now. Oversold and good for a flip me thinks.

ABX maybe Tuesday?

Will watch overseas.

#8 George on 06.30.13 at 6:12 pm

Irish bankers ‘hoodwinked’ government over bailout, secret recordings show

#9 Smartalox on 06.30.13 at 6:12 pm

Dear Garth, it’s not your fault; somewhere on your way to the commons, the notion of elected public service went from peace, order and good government, to do what ever it takes to win, and barring that, don’t lose.

Where once this country was LED by citizens who’d spent years contributing to employees and chambers of commerce, it is now being managed (poorly) by people who have never worked a day in anything other than politics, and probably ran for office because they probably lack the skills to get hired to do anything else.

Well you sure showed them, Garth. I’d be willing to bet my portfolio you’ve improved the strength and freedom of more Canadians with your books and free daily updates on this blog, than you could have as another bobbling head in the backbench of the Commons.

Thanks for all that you do. You really DO make a difference.

#10 takla on 06.30.13 at 6:13 pm

Well done garth,now back to the shiney rocks….lets do the math,over the last 40+ years the 500 grant interglobal corps on the S&P with all their earnings growth and production and outsourcing/downsizing and CE/F/HO’s and innovations and efficiencies and bonus’ and all time high profits, managed a 1.75% return above that of GOLD. A shiny rock which does nothing, absolutely neverever/ shit load of work for a sub 2% return on investment.

Who are the greater fools?

#11 George on 06.30.13 at 6:24 pm

Last chance to vote for Garth’s pathetic blog as best financial blog in Canada for 2013. The winner is announced tomorrow.

#12 FTP - First Time Poster on 06.30.13 at 6:30 pm

Best first true to thine own self.

Simple to say, hard to do. We now live in a society of morally bankrupt, emotionally hollow, smart phone loving, reality TV coccooned morons. The dumbing down of society started 30 years ago. There is no saving Canada — only your loved ones, maybe a few friends.

Thank you for your short, yet dedicated tenure.

#13 Smoking Man on 06.30.13 at 6:33 pm

Gartho, you know my wee character is an invention of imagination, think you know where I work, and the crazy hight pressure shit I got to deal with.. Everyday.

But I got to say, this blog is democracy, pure and un censored, be it for bad words and slippery topics. Which find delete button.

I have the outmost respect for you, flipping bird to harpo, that takes courage, you are by far a real man, even with your girly voice.

Thanks for letting me play here..

Happy Canada day to you sir all all the other crazy dogs.

#14 Sebee on 06.30.13 at 6:35 pm

Hey, RE correction, take off, eh?

#15 T.O. Bubble Boy on 06.30.13 at 6:40 pm

Harper and F have never looked back… and the country is screwed because of it.

#16 Pt Bob on 06.30.13 at 6:47 pm

Thanks Garth for your recollections and these Bob Doug profound lyrics I had not thought of lately

Coo coo coo coo coo….
Take off to the great white north
Its a beauty way to go
Take off to the great white north

Take off to the great white north
Its a beauty way to go
Take off to the great white north

reapeat till end

#17 Nemesis on 06.30.13 at 6:52 pm

I believe the correct idiom is, “So take off, eh. You hosers!”… For added effect – put on a chequered mackinaw and a toque then say that while swigging a Molsons ‘stubby’, smoking a Players or an Export’A’ and putting some BackBacon on a Coleman-fired skillet.

And now for the parliamentary ovation you didn’t get but so richly deserve[d]…. HonAuldPol

#18 Mister Obvious on 06.30.13 at 6:52 pm

Parliament Hill’s loss is Canada’s gain.

#19 Michael on 06.30.13 at 6:52 pm

Educate, educate, educate, Canadians owe you for your contribution. Stand tall and sleep well!

#20 tigerbaby on 06.30.13 at 6:55 pm

> The entry is illegal and they shouldn’t be allowed to take anything. That’s the issue folks have.

It appears Emergency Act – “Declaration of a public welfare emergency” says:

8. (1) While a declaration of a public welfare emergency is in effect, the Governor in Council may make such orders or regulations with respect to the following matters as the Governor in Council believes, on reasonable grounds, are necessary for dealing with the emergency:

(a) the regulation or prohibition of travel to, from or within any specified area, where necessary for the protection of the health or safety of individuals;

(b) the evacuation of persons and the removal of personal property from any specified area and the making of arrangements for the adequate care and protection of the persons and property;

(c) the requisition, use or disposition of property;

…”

#21 Exilled on 06.30.13 at 6:55 pm

Mr. Turner: I know that your wife and family will see much better times. And so shall you!

#22 pathcontrolmonk on 06.30.13 at 7:04 pm

A quote about patriotism and people holding their government accountable from another great Canadian. Unfortunately there is not enough Caipirinha in the True North to get us equally as angry. Rock on, Garth.

“There was anger in the streets of Brazil this week. A particular kind of anger, which I think is a noble anger—patriotic anger. The anger of people who say, “Don’t treat us like fools. We’re not fools. We’re adults, we’re citizens, we’re equals.” That patriotic anger is an anger based on an instinctive understanding of what democracy as a way of life really is. And I want to just end by saluting that patriotic anger. I want to salute the pride that is connected to the anger. – Michael Ignatieff

#23 Daisy Mae on 06.30.13 at 7:12 pm

“Never underestimate the impact of losing your job, live, on national television. Doing the right thing seems less heroic when your wife is in tears.”

**************************

You stood by your principles. And that is very, very admirable. And your wife finally would understand.

Anyone can cave and tow the party line. That’s easy….and all the MPs do it. However, by so doing, they betray the people they represent. So they are USELESS. And do not command respect.

Politics today is disgusting. And just getting worse. That’s why I just won’t vote, anymore.

Just keep doing what you’re doing. You can be very proud of your many accomplishments.

#24 Doomsday Prepper on 06.30.13 at 7:13 pm

Good Post. Sadly, very true as well. This is precisely why our voter turn out is so poor.
Vote Chretien, he’ll eliminate the GST…yeah right
Vote for Harpo, he’ll reform the Senate…not!
etc etc…Seems all politicians are the same…can’t trust em’… can’t shoot em…sigh

#25 mel in victoria on 06.30.13 at 7:17 pm

Well said Garth…You’ve done much with this blog to educate people and perhaps made us all better investors…and Canadians. Happy Canada Day to you and all your readers and posters….Mel

#26 Nemesis on 06.30.13 at 7:17 pm

Oh yes… There is absolutely no truth to the persistent rumours that MarkTheCarney requested a copy of this newsreel from the NFB’s archives prior to his departure to the OldLady of ThreadNeedleStreet…

#27 Daisy Mae on 06.30.13 at 7:28 pm

“…not being a team player…”

TRANSLATION: Do not think for yourself. Do as you’re told — ’cause I’m the boss.

#28 Daisy Mae on 06.30.13 at 7:31 pm

“Well, I just wanted to set the record straight. I have a lot to apologize for. Loving my country, in my way, ain’t included.”

**********************

You don’t have a damn thing to apologize for.

#29 Marginal on 06.30.13 at 7:31 pm

Garth, keep up the good fight. Unfortunately too many people confuse nationalism and patriotism with jingoism. Great job on the blog, and all the best to you and your family on Canada Day.

#30 billybill on 06.30.13 at 7:32 pm

good post…happy canada day

#31 Fritz on 06.30.13 at 7:41 pm

Keep up the good work! You are living a real and decent life, actually contributing to our great country, unlike the power and money grubbers who infest so many seats of power.

#32 Daisy Mae on 06.30.13 at 7:41 pm

#15 T.O. Bubble Boy: “Harper and F have never looked back… and the country is screwed because of it.”

************************

Good point. Garth can’t be held responsible for the mess these three (Carney, included) created. What a bunch of idiots…

#33 Goody Niosi on 06.30.13 at 7:42 pm

Thank you Garth. I wish we had a majority of people in office just like you

#34 Donald Trump on 06.30.13 at 7:47 pm

I love Smoking Man home movies…so senti-mental.

Raised his (known) children well.

#35 BenF on 06.30.13 at 7:49 pm

Garth – the men who stay longest in office are often not the best people. Look at Merv King – he was apparently against govt policy but after feebly protesting he threw his hands in the air and stayed quiet. He stayed in the job, he’s got a massive pension and history will record him as a massive scumbag.

Had he put his country ahead of himself the UK might not be on the verge of going under.

Sometimes you have to do the right thing and not get thanked. You know.

#36 Steve on 06.30.13 at 7:52 pm

“Doing the right thing seems less heroic when your wife is in tears.”

Thank you, Garth, for doing your best to “do the right thing” regardless of the personal sacrifices made by you and your wife. I, too, believe that Canada is acutely valuable. But over the past few years, and especially the past few months, I have almost totally lost whatever respect I had for politicians generally. There may be a couple of good ones somewhere in Ottawa, but you would have to look hard to find them.

Nevertheless, Canada is a great place to live. Take some time to relax and celebrate. And keep doing what you do, Garth. Even if I occasionally disagree with you, I always look forward to reading your blog. The wit and sarcasm is priceless. And the advice is generally useful too.

Happy Canada Day!

#37 Freedom First on 06.30.13 at 7:56 pm

Garth has abs of iron and balls of steel. Thank you for all you have done, and continue to do Garth, with respect, Freedom First. (I know you know my given name).

“Happy Canada Day” to all Canadians who truly care for their fellow Canadians and feel very grateful to live in this great country “Canada”.

#38 Daisy Mae on 06.30.13 at 7:58 pm

And with regard to the TFSA, you introduced it…not the idiots in power taking credit.

#39 Sapienti Sat on 06.30.13 at 8:00 pm

Well said, Garth. Cato the Younger you may be not, but will start resembling one more if you drift off obsessive RE topic to more pressing issues that will define Canada in the coming years: reject oil depended economy, rally against butchering baby seals, say no to multiculturalism hypocrisy, nepotism and corruption of public, academic, and corporate life, rally against deeply imbedded sense of 2nd tier mentality imbedded in Canadian psychic. Happy Canada day, the last idealist!

#40 PesaMingi on 06.30.13 at 8:01 pm

Hmmm…if he won the Best Financial Blog contest, an Order Of Canada cannot be far behind. May take a change in the Ruling Party, though.

How do we go about this task, dawgs?

#41 BenF on 06.30.13 at 8:03 pm

BTW – is that Paul Merton on the right of that picture?

#42 Mark on 06.30.13 at 8:04 pm

Garth, throughout history and more significantly through the recent internet age where everyone can hide behind an alias, every great figure who thought otuside of the normalcy bias or challenged the common person’s belief system quickly found himself followed by a trail of Haters ™. What’s great about the true revolutionaries who help introduce positive change is that they use these adversaries as further motivation for their cause. As a constant reminder that as long as those Haters exist, there are misinformed sheeple among the population and thus still work to be done.

Keep fighting the good fight. I hope your haters continue to grow, and that from them you find continued and increasing ambition to fight against the status quo.

#43 Smoking Man on 06.30.13 at 8:10 pm

OK I did my mandatory love love Canada, Gartho your a good shit, post is done now.

OK, what is Canada day, did we fight a revolution, have a tea party, no, We are a nation of ass kissers.

We asked for permission to do a charter of rights. The queen is still on our money, what the hell we so proud of.

We kiss ass, especially me. Even more so when I pay for it.

If we could only get the boys, to act the same way off the ice when they get cross checked in the face. We would have a nation.

Teachers, is all I’m saying..

#44 Dean Mason on 06.30.13 at 8:21 pm

Canada is a great country and I love this country but not everyone is contributing enough.There is a proportion of Canadians that are shouldering almost all the costs to run this great country.

When TFSA’s first came out they were portrayed by the media and certain parties as only for the well off and rich.They portrayed TFSA’s as not great for lower to middle income earners.The real answer was increasing C.P.P.,OAS,federal income supplement and other social benefits for lower and middle class.

Why are C.P.P.,interest,dividends,capital gains,employment income,employee benefits,partnership income, OAS etc. are taxed but federal income supplement,WSIB,social assistance,H.S.T. credit,child tax benefit,UCC,social benefits etc. are not taxed.The Ontario health tax is not paid by people receiving these types of income.

We are all Canadians, 65% of all federal revenue comes from personal income taxes but is paid by mostly 30%-40% of all the taxable sources of income I listed above.They should pay income taxes even if it is 10%,15% etc. some amount because they are Canadians that live,enjoy and benefit from this great country.

The one time that workers,small investors,small businesses,pensioners,retirees,families etc. get tax free income we are all criticized for not paying income taxes instead for saving for our future and being financially responsible which is good for all Canadians and Canada.

The main problem is most Canadians are not financially literate putting TFSA’s in 1%-2% savings accounts.They should be invested in a mix of investments that can earn easy 4.50% to 5.50% in today’s market and interest rate,bond market environment.This what the Canadian government directly or indirectly should be doing educating Canadians.

Those that have TFSA’s are already paying most of the federal,provincial income taxes,H.S.T,property taxes,gas taxes etc. so they should have some type of tax reduction or break.Happy Canada Day!

#45 Pig Without Lipstick on 06.30.13 at 8:21 pm

Garth, While I continue to disagree with you about the fate of the world economy, I tremondously appreciate your attempt to articulate ideas that serve and defend the interests of Canadians in ways many of our politicians don’t.
That said, there are several questions you have not satisfactorily addressed, except in vague platitudes that presuppose our political overlords are omniscient. As articulate Fed critics like Jim Grant have articulated we are now the PhD standard and it is all a giant experiment, with an unknown outcome. The long view of history is replete with the examples or elites who have overestimated their powers and it’s not clear how you can argue this time is different.
Which is why I protestantly retain a position in the metals until the integrity of the system is renewed.

#46 Coho on 06.30.13 at 8:24 pm

Garth–beautiful touching post today.

How many people would be willing to make the sacrifice you did to do what is right? Very, very few. It is too often that people will trade principles for a coveted life, or even for just a few dollars.

Some people are just ‘wired’ that way. They just don’t care. They’re for sale. Perhaps from a spiritual perspective they are empty vessels. What is sad is when inherently good people compromise their principles whether it is finances, family, or career that demands it. How does the saying go? ‘When good men do nothing, evil flourishes’. It is the mindset of ‘worry about yourself’ which prevents people from doing a greater good when they are in a position to do so.

Fear, greed and hate are the usual motivators. Love is a much less common one, but far more powerful than the others and this is why the retaliation from the establishment is severe. Those motivated by love of country and its people are feared by ‘ The Machine’ (to borrow SM’s term), as they are much less likely to be bribed, coerced, blackmailed or otherwise threatened into submission.

The government is not the country. So many of us appear to have forgotten that the country is the land and its people who hire the government to administer to its affairs in good faith. We need more people to stand for what is right on principle for the sake of our country and the people who make it up.

#47 CrowdedElevatorfartz on 06.30.13 at 8:27 pm

Garth you have improved far more lives by maintaining this blog than any 50 Prime Ministerial buttlicking MP’s have done in the past 10 years.

I think your wife may have been crying not because you did the right thing, but because you were going to be home….. all the time…..in the way…..”polishing the Harley”

#48 Macrath on 06.30.13 at 8:29 pm

Canada is a great country because of people like you and all those with integrity, ideals and strength of character that preceded you.

You have been and continue to be a great asset of the citizenry.

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”
Nikola Tesla

Happy Canada Day !

#49 Suede on 06.30.13 at 8:31 pm

Love this blog! Even from the record heat in Vegas I read it. Time for another overpriced drink

#50 Joe Somebody on 06.30.13 at 8:33 pm

This is the BEST article I have ever read!

There’s only so much every one of us can do.
Keep doing what you are doing.

#51 TurnerNation on 06.30.13 at 8:36 pm

#52 Keen Reader on 06.30.13 at 8:36 pm

Your books and various blogs have made and continue to make a significant difference for many people. You’ve educated us, given us insight into the political system, and helped us get our finances in order. Your remarkable contributions far outweigh whatever crap that was fed to the uneducated masses.

We look forward to more of your outstanding leadership during the upcoming turbulent times. Thanks again for the great work; I hope Dorothy and you fully enjoy Canada Day!

Guy

#53 Daisy Mae on 06.30.13 at 8:39 pm

Obama is in the news…re Mandela.

Can’t anyone ever be honest? Obama is not a ‘black leader’ — he is Mulatto.

He is as white as he is black.

Period.

#54 blase on 06.30.13 at 8:41 pm

I for one had never heard of you, nor most of the MPs sitting in the Harper government. Most will be forgotten, if they were ever known to begin with.

I bet Garth is more well-known among realtors than any sitting MP.

If anything, one thing you’ve exposed Garth is the “system” and how it operates to benefit those who hold power. A government that works for special interests, not common interests. A newspaper industry that acted as a cheerleader while Canada and Canadians fell hopelessly into debt, while banks and politicians enriched themselves. Unlike many other crisis, this one came with the recent devastation of Iceland, Ireland, Spain, and the United States, so there was simply no excuse for the newspapers to not see what was going on, or the regulators to not act. Yet they took the money from advertisers and lobbyists.

Canada has lost its way, and now we’ve become a mere cog of big business and the schemes of world central bankers.

We are a coddled, fat, entitled people. We protest only when it directly affects our own wallets. We worry about hockey and granite incessantly, while our rights, our clean water, our food, our air, our land, our birthright is slowly eroded. Most of us will go to our deathbed never having protested a damn thing.

In all things, you are either growing or dying. Look to Asia, to South America, to the Middle East, to Europe, to see people who understand that you get what you are willing to fight for. Most Canadians will only fight over someone cutting in line at the trough.

You have been, and remain, a voice in the wilderness Garth. But you give us contrarians hope that somehow, the voice of reason will cut through to this greedy, unthinking herd.

#55 JSS on 06.30.13 at 8:44 pm

The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams. It’s’ heaven and hell!

#56 Nimoucha on 06.30.13 at 8:51 pm

Garth, I count my blessings for the day that I first stumbled upon your blog. Thank you for your great work, for the entertainment, the good laughs, and above all, the common sense and invaluable education. Thank you for enlightening so many of us. You are a good man in the greatest sense of the term. Smoking Man, I hope you won’t get sick from all the honey and sugar ;-)

#57 Steven on 06.30.13 at 8:58 pm

The agendas of the people and the political parties are luxuries no country can afford.
If that were not the case there would be no debt and no problems with the finances of nations. Strictly speaking politics and government as you have known it Garth are a failure and is over due for the dust bin of history.

#58 Ludmila on 06.30.13 at 9:00 pm

You almost made me cry, Mr. Garth.

To “blase”: totally agree, beautifuly said.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

#59 craig on 06.30.13 at 9:02 pm

Obama is in the news…re Mandela.

Can’t anyone ever be honest? Obama is not a ‘black leader’ — he is Mulatto.

He is as white as he is black.

Period.
=====================================

And you’re as dumb as dumb gets.

Period.

#60 waiting on 06.30.13 at 9:05 pm

People who dare to stand up to the status quo when they see that it is wrong are heroes.
They have the nerve and integrity to speak the truth and educate those who care to learn.
The essence of democracy is the right of each and every individual to express themselves and
be heard and to be able to elect an individual who will best represent them.
Thank you for educating us and giving us so much to think about. Whether we agree or not,
your comments make us think. We are so lucky to live somewhere where that is possible.
Happy Canada Day.

#61 JWD on 06.30.13 at 9:06 pm

Fantastic blog Garth. Like many, I look forward to your daily post. It’s honest, insightful, funny and informative. The truth shall set you free! Happy Canada Day

#62 Gerry Beauregard on 06.30.13 at 9:12 pm

Love your blog! Even though I haven’t lived in Canada for years, your insights into real estate finance and psychology are at once unvarnished, insightful, and amusing. Keep it up!

#63 D.D. Corkum on 06.30.13 at 9:14 pm

#5 y&d on 06.30.13 at 6:03 pm

“But it seems the common pattern for the financial ‘talking heads’ is that rising rates are bad for stocks?”

In the recent past, bond yields have been so low in certain advanced economies (USA, Germany, Canada, etc) that many investors have been lured into riskier assets to achieve desired income flows. Consequently, high bond prices actually have supported stock markets. Now that bond prices are trending downward, this support for stocks is fading.

This is part of the reason why the recent drop in bond prices was occuring simultaneously with a minor correction in stock prices.

All of this aside, there’s no need to panick. If a company is making money then someone will want to own it.

#64 matt f on 06.30.13 at 9:17 pm

Happy Canada Day to you too Garth. I just wanted to say that you really helped this Canadian. Back in 2000, I bought your book “2000 RRSP Guide”. In it you show the difference between GICs and strip bonds. I ended up cashing in my GICs, opened a discount brokerage account and purchased a couple provincial strip bonds at real good interest rates (better than today anyway). Needless to say, the cost of that book has more than paid for itself with the results of that investment itself. Then I discovered this blog about two years ago. I have followed your advice about getting ETFs rather than individual stocks for diversification purposes. And that has worked pretty well so far too. Just three days ago I purchased some CPD (preferred shares ETF) after reading it here as a great buying opportunity. Two years ago I got XRE (real estate investment trust ETF) and that thing has been off the charts. All this from reading on this pathetic blog!! You are worth more than any damn politician. Once again Garth THANK YOU!

#65 Arse on 06.30.13 at 9:21 pm

Oh Jesus, it’s Canada Day tomorrow!

#66 Smoking Man on 06.30.13 at 9:25 pm

#60 waiting on 06.30.13 at 9:05 pm

That was a good post, your right we live in a place where we can unload our thoughts, opinions, beliefs.

Place’s in the world that take heads off, for being gay, atheist my thing. Blasphemy, and any one who don’t fit the mould, mabey I should be proud to be Canadian,.

I think I am…. I really like gay people, not gay here but they like me say it like it is.

How can you not respect that…

Happy gay day……..

#67 maxx on 06.30.13 at 9:27 pm

A very happy Canada Day Garth.

Bless you for having the courage of your convictions. It is often a very lonely road.

Many readers have greatly benefited from your wisdom.

….happy Canada Day Blog Dawgs!

#68 Arse on 06.30.13 at 9:28 pm

Thank Lord for this great country that is called Canada !!!

Canada accepted me as a refugee from Sri Lanka.

#69 toughguy on 06.30.13 at 9:31 pm

Great post .I am curios as to why you so strongly believe that the us is recovering ,according to this website http://www.dailyjobcuts.com/ all the layoffs and business closings (leaving dead malls and plazas which now litter the us from east to west )say that they are laying off or closing due to the weak economic conditions says opposite of your view and i have read hundreds of them post for the last few months

#70 jess on 06.30.13 at 9:40 pm

…”The four regulators at the April 9 meeting were Cirona, Patriarca, Richard Sanchez (Lincoln’s “Supervisory Agent”), and me.(mr. w. black)

…”Our examiners and supervisors discovered and documented Lincoln Savings’ officers’ frauds and resultant disastrous direct investment and lending practices. Bart Dzivi’s discovery of Lincoln Savings, Drexel Burnham Lambert (dominated by Michael Milken), and Arthur Andersen’s (AA) combined fraud is one of the great finds of all time. In the course of reviewing thousands of pages of seemingly routine underwriting documents on junk bonds he noticed that some of the pages were not numbered sequentially and that in one or two files (out of hundreds) the purportedly contemporaneous (and carefully undated) underwriting documents contained information that became available only after the purchase of the junk bonds. Dzivi realized that the most likely explanation was that the supposed underwriting documents were created after the fact and then stuffed into the files to make it appear that Lincoln Savings engaged in underwriting before it purchased junk bonds. Dzivi’s insight prompted an enforcement investigation led by Anne Sobol that proved the file stuffing and discovered and document widespread forgeries of documents and signatures designed to cover up the massive violation of the limits on direct investments….

#71 Julia on 06.30.13 at 9:42 pm

I second the sentiments of many of the comments today, I especially liked Smartalox on 06.30.13 at 6:12 pm.

It is becoming increasingly clear that democracy is no longer considered to be simply about voting for a government that very quickly disappoints and then sitting back and complaining for 4 years. It’s about active ongoing participation in the conversation about governance in a way that feels relevant and real, and is informed and intelligent.

Garth, you have lead the way when it comes to stimulating a educated conversation about financial and related issues. You have demonstrated that you don’t need formal political power to have mass influence.

Plus, in my books, being rejected by Satan Harper is the ultimate patriotic seal of approval.

Happy Canada Day to a great Canadian, and to all the blog dawgs who can’t get enough of him.

#72 craig on 06.30.13 at 9:42 pm

Every TRUE Canadian should be proudly displaying a Canadian flag on their property.

Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc., all sell them and if you’re a tight wad wait until July 2nd or 3rd and you’ll get it for half price.

Typing how proud you are to be Canadian on this pathetic blog means nuttin.

FLY our flag proudly and in memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our Freedom. It’s the least we can all do.

#73 Marci from Van on 06.30.13 at 9:51 pm

I am honored to celebrate my 3rd Canada day in Canada as a PR and hope that in 2 years, I can stand with my hand on my heart and sing our anthem as a citizen alongside my wife and 2 kids.

This is a beautiful country full of magnanimous people. That I celebrate and thank the system that allows the freedoms we enjoy. It is a honorable country and must never sell out its principles.

Thank you for your loud voice and thank you SO MUCH for changing he course of our financial lives and setting us on a path of financial independence and security.

Coming here is now he best thing we ever did strategically, tactically and emotionally as a family.

We thank all of you Canadians for building a place that allows us this.

Thank you Canada!

#74 george soros on 06.30.13 at 9:51 pm

Oh oh looks like rising interest rates gonna put a speed bump on that road to recovery

#75 Cowpoke on 06.30.13 at 9:58 pm

Garth, I would vote for you.

Governments are instituted among men and women, deriving their just powers from the ‘consent of the governed’.

It is the ‘Right of the People’ to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government.

#76 Smoking Man on 06.30.13 at 10:03 pm

Just went for a walk, up north, we just kill a bottle of Canadian club…

I feel bad for the hundred or so mosquitoes that took a bight.

Crashing into trees, getting into drinkin fights with other mosquitoes trying to prove dominance over others.

Bragging about there positioning on the stale water on the inverted water filled frizbee

Mosquitos.. Pricks I’m itchy enjoy your buzz, what you got another day or two of life… Ha. Good thing I wasn’t drinking Jack…

#77 Bill Grable on 06.30.13 at 10:13 pm

Happy Canada Day, Garth, – and Mrs. Turner, the entire Family and of course, Bandit.

All the best to the team at the Turner-Thomensen, as well.

I hope the weather forecast for our Birthday cooperates!

#78 FATHER on 06.30.13 at 10:18 pm

cannot explain this feeling I have inside me after reading OUR blog garth, so my only way to try & explain it is to say
MR. GARTH TURNER WE TRUST IN YOU AS OUR LEADER & WE SHALL STAND BESIDE YOU TO LEAD OUR GREAT NATION OF CANADA IF YOU EVER WOULD WANT
happy Canada day to you & your family with best wishes of wealth health & happiness

#79 ego mania on 06.30.13 at 10:18 pm

While I appreciate your view of real estate and markets, to claim it is for free? Sure I don’t pay, but those speaking engagements based on the number of followers of your blog, it’s got to help. Long live capitalism.

When I speak, admission is always free. — Garth

#80 Allanbradl on 06.30.13 at 10:21 pm

Amen, it is truly a great country.

#81 TheCatFoodLady on 06.30.13 at 10:24 pm

I’ll add my thanks to the legions of others here, Mr. Turner – too many have said it better than I for me to reiterate. My thanks are thoroughly heatfelt.

Your blog has made me smile, laugh, learn, gasp in shock. It’s kept me ENGAGED.

It has sent me scurrying to the library to read, to learn. It has made me think.

My developing investing style doesn’t always match what you promote – we’re all different as your many books point out. But sound principles don’t change, no matter who you read, what they recommend or what you end up doing as an individual. You’ve saved me many costly mistakes.

Most importantly, you’ve reminded me that as adults, it behooves us to take the responsability to do our own research & make our own decisions as they suit our circumstances. I never want to stand there protesting: “But GARTH or The Jar Lady made me do it!” My life, my money, my decisions & the consequences fall on me.

Happy Canada Day & chow down on an extra lobster for me.

#82 FATHER on 06.30.13 at 10:35 pm

I almost forgot my fellow blog dogs,
happy Canada day to you & you families

#83 Mr Buyer on 06.30.13 at 10:38 pm

In situations like this it may be best if you formed your own party.

#84 Retired Boomer - WI on 06.30.13 at 10:40 pm

To Mr. Garth T:

Blogmaster

Former MP

A man of many talents, rides a Harley, drives a Hummer, provides quality, and needed financial wisdom, and well…any number of other things.

I have not read any of the 86 replies posted tonight (yet).

I thought it more important to share MY opinion of your writings on this blog as well as two of your books which I have read. Timely, actionable advice on Real Estate, investments, with a nice touch of salty humor when needed.

I hardly see this guy (you) as anybody who bashes Canada, or has ever demonstrated a lack of trying to make the system better for all. (Wish we had more US lawmakers who demonstrated that quality).

I am certain we all -who post- can and have irritated you over the years. Perhaps some of the worst repeat offenders get put off this blog. That is the job of the blog master it would seem to me. The written form of “Capital Punishment” as it were. Only taken in the worst of circumstances, but alas a necessary evil as a deterrent.
(Gee, guess you now know my view on that subject).

Sorry for the tangent. Your post tonight sets the record straight, but that record really needed no straightening in my view. Your comments are in the archives for all to read. Yes, legislating is a messy process, as is virtually any form of public work. Yes, the public is composed of the learned as well as the dumb ass. The informed, and the clueless. This blog is indeed a fun “light” shinning on the Canadian Real Estate world.

You call them as you see them. I immensely enjoy reading this blog. I have no reason to post, other than to wish all the best use of their money in managing their lives. It can be done, it is not fast, nor easy, but it is not impossible.

Gee, that’s much like trying to run any country isn’t it?

Thanks for reading this penny dreadful reply, and as long as you wish to continue this informative blog, by all means do continue! Happy Canada Day Garth & everyone!

Your happy neighbor in the land of cow shit & beer farts!

#85 KG on 06.30.13 at 10:44 pm

Thanks for your services to the nation.

#86 Beck on 06.30.13 at 10:52 pm

#45 pig without lipstick
“The unprecedented stimulus and suppresson of interest rates have only lead to the misallocation of capital and the destruction of wealth. I do not see how one can possibly argue the market has cleared, the day of reconciliation is yet to come.”
—————————————
I absolutely agree and am not a goldbug.
Thoughts on fellow canadian Jeff rubin’s “the end of growth”? Economic growth is based on cheap oil, which is over. Expensive oil + trillions in bail outs + record debt (national and personal)+ a non diversified economy(housing and cars) – this is why I agree with the notion the US is still in deep trouble (scheff). Isn’t per person debt $140k and savings only 7k? And what happens if the worlds largest middle class decides to become consumers and calls in the US’s debt and stops devaluing the yuan by buying up US bonds?

Oh, and thank you!

As a reference point Christy Clark for years has said there’s no money for raises, gets re-elected and boom, raises for her friends! And then we find out the “financial party” has doubled the provinces debt while saying the books are balanced. How’s that for integrity?

#87 sasquatch on 06.30.13 at 10:58 pm

Good post Garth. Don’t ever think that your message is not reaching at least a few of your readers.

While you may not have fit in with the political crowd, that may have been for the best. Too many politicians seem to be in it for ego, greed, or both. You have probably helped more people in the last few years privately than the whole time as a politician.

#88 Victoria - the original on 06.30.13 at 11:05 pm

Keep up the fight!

#89 kathryn on 06.30.13 at 11:08 pm

Garth we love your blog, and we recommend it to all of our friends who give a dam. Because of you I have become quite pushy with those that I care about when I see them getting caught up in house lust….I have stopped a few of em….and not stopped a few of em also….ya win some, ya loose some. Thanks for caring – eh.

#90 valleyrenter on 06.30.13 at 11:23 pm

Chin up big guy, happy Canada Day! On the ground you can now ‘win your down payment’ on a shiny new yet old (3 yrs plus) condo in Langley. 56 and 20100 block. Sales centre open 6 days a week (must be a drawing of short staws for the realtor stuck with that gig). 152 area, sold ,sold,sold….1 acre parcel in the moist heat of a neighborhood ‘development potential’ whilst the siren song of townhouses beckons across the street, unsoldout, bleating “over 60% sold” whilst they bark “strata payments paid for a year!” Got bigger problems though in the trenches than RE/Developers shitting kittens…FIL signed on with his GF on a fresh kill in White Rock with peekaboo ocean views…original one foot in the grave owner…1800sq 50+yr old bungalow total gut job..,655,000 plus min 50,000+ in upgrades…minimal on street parking, been subdivided enough in the 80’s and probably built the neighborhood into the surrounding parks and homes…figure that if they ‘sell in ten years’ they will need 1.2 mil to break even…and yes, it was an emotional buy…another tragic example of Boomers trying to sell one another real estate to make themselves rich!

#91 Van guy on 06.30.13 at 11:24 pm

” I have a lot to apologize for. ”

Yes, please to all the blog dogs you’ve ripped into!!!!
And for also being a tiny bit off for timing on the RE market over the years. Your call on equities have been pretty damn good. On gold as well, not too shabby!!

#92 Conrad on 06.30.13 at 11:25 pm

The truth may not be popular, but it is the highest standard of journalists and politicians, sadly few of second group strive for truth, you are Garth, keep up the good work. More and more people are tired of the government and their lies as we move further and further towards something that no longer resembles Canada i knew as a kid.

#93 gogo on 06.30.13 at 11:39 pm

You are a great Man, Garth. You are the financial Robin Hood.

Happy Canada Day!

I am proud to be here.

#94 Mithan on 06.30.13 at 11:44 pm

You have nothing to appologize for Garth. You are doing what you feel is right. At the very least, you spawn people to think. Those most against you do o out of fear you may be right and the implications on them that that may have.

Continue on. It probably is a mostly thankless job, but usually helping people is.

#95 bill on 06.30.13 at 11:46 pm

Happy Canada Day Garth and Dawgs….
Thanks Garth for being who you are and for what you do.

#96 Linda Mulligan on 06.30.13 at 11:53 pm

Happy Canada Day to all – & for the love of your country, vote! While it is true that when you vote for a candidate that is PC/Lib/NDP etc. you are voting for the PARTY platform – not the actual candidate that doesn’t mean you should take the time to vote – vote for an independant candidate if there is one in your riding & they are not totally crazy – vote Green Party – just vote. Plus, if you do not like the party platform, join the party & vote for policies (if any) that you can support. Vote against those you do not support. You CAN make a difference by voting. Historic note here – apparently Adolph Hitler was voted OUT of the school he had applied to as an art student (painter) by ONE vote. Imagine (if this is indeed true) if they had not voted him out. Maybe no WW2? Hard to say, might have happened regardless but something to think about. Peace, order & good government may not be the most exciting goal but one worth striving for, esp. when one sees what war, chaos & corrupt gov’t brings in its wake……

#97 Linda Mulligan on 06.30.13 at 11:55 pm

Sorry, meant to say ‘should NOT take time to vote':)

#98 pete on 06.30.13 at 11:56 pm

Happy Canada day garth. You are a true Canadian and true leader who is looking out for the best interests of Canada and Canadians. It’s to bad the CONS hate Canada hate freedom and hate democracy.

#99 raider on 07.01.13 at 12:01 am

Happy Canada Day Garth.

“No longer an MP (since clearly I don’t fit the mould) my parliament is a pathetic blog where the struggle for common sense continues […]. For here there’s no agenda save the ongoing struggle to rescue people from their own misadventures, to inform, and lobby for constructive change.”

If it is any consolation, my current immigration status does not allow me to influence the Canadian political establishment in any meaningful way :D.
I’m quite happy to see that you have chosen this path to inform and raise awareness.

#100 Corban on 07.01.13 at 12:03 am

Garth ya hoser! Happy Canada Day, eh?

#101 Life With No Fixed Address on 07.01.13 at 12:05 am

Thank you for an entertaining AND enlightening read.

#102 SNAKE on 07.01.13 at 12:07 am

Thank Lord for this great country that is called Canada !!!

Canada accepted me as a refugee from Sri Lanka
———————————————————-

WOW A SRILANKAN READ PRO REALESTATE BLOG

JUST CURIOUS HOW MANY HOUSE DO YOU OWN?

ALMOST MOST OF SRILANKAN PEOPLE OWN A HOUSE NO MATTER JUST BOAT ARRIVED OR LIVING HERE FOR LONG TIME.

HOW DO YOU GUYS GET MONEY I KNOW ITS NOT FROM SRILANKSA AS 1 DOLLAR WORH 125 RUPEES JUST TO BUY A 500000 HOME YOU GUYS HAVE TO HAVE 62.5 MILLION RUPEES HOLY SHIT ANYONE CARE TO EXPLAIN HOW THEY AFFORD TO BUY HOUSES FASTER THAN MOST CANADIANS?

#103 splork on 07.01.13 at 12:11 am

Happy China/India/Passive-Aggressive/Fear-of-Risk & Change/Obedient Slave day

#104 Sean on 07.01.13 at 12:18 am

Hey Garth,

Your advice has helped thousands of people along the path to financial success. Why are you so self-critical about your so called “pathetic blog”? There are lots of pathetic sites on the web and this is far from one of them. Keep up the great work and keep following your heart!

Happy Canada Day to you and your family.

Sean

#105 bricklayer on 07.01.13 at 12:23 am

thanks for re-confirming my opinion that all politicians that stay politicians have their own agenda. Good on you for fixing what’s broken, which includes putting some reality back into people’s vision as far as Canadian real estate goes, thanks for that .

#106 Barry Lainof on 07.01.13 at 12:24 am

Garth:

Don’t much agree with your economic forecasts. It took a long time for your housing meltdown to appear, let alone get into price decreases. Your snippets of semi- humorous responses to your readers is sometimes down right rude.

However; your integrity, sincerity and commitment to assist others looking for some honest words, from your perspective, in a cynical world was never questioned by this reader.

Thank you for your service to our country. Thank you for having the courage to express your opinion.

Have a great Canada Day !

#107 bricklayer on 07.01.13 at 12:24 am

oh, and happy Canada day…….

#108 will on 07.01.13 at 12:47 am

Love ya Garth. Just keep doing what you’re doing.

#109 Barrie Madu on 07.01.13 at 12:47 am

Thanks for being you

#110 Basil Fawlty on 07.01.13 at 12:54 am

Garth, Happy Canada Day and thanks for putting up with my parsnickety attitude.

Basil the Dink

#111 William Bell on 07.01.13 at 1:06 am

“In the end, most elected people fuss over this compromise, and end up working for the leader, not the people. To do otherwise is political death.”

Can’t agree more… just a small little IT guy and all positions from the janitors up are all like this.

#112 k on 07.01.13 at 1:10 am

Garth Yer a good man. Happy Canada Day. We all have a lot to be grateful for ! Cheers. Canada is a great country !

#113 lucyj on 07.01.13 at 1:16 am

Thanks for another great post. The problem with our elected officials is they are a lot more interested in preserving their jobs than doing them. Would it not be wonderful if politicians as well as political parties had to post performance bonds before being allowed to run. Happy Canada Day To All.

#114 VicPaul on 07.01.13 at 1:17 am

I began reading your financial wisdom many years ago in an article entitled, “The Beauty and the Beast of Leverage” ….and most recently with this gem. Thanks for all the easy to understand and apply info in between.
Happy Canada Day to us all! (and let’s be safe out there;)

#115 MJ on 07.01.13 at 1:32 am

Thank you for honesty and all your advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Happy Canada Day!

#116 S calgary on 07.01.13 at 1:41 am

Proud to be a follower of Garth…

Thanks a lot Garth for educating me..!

Happy Canada Day!

#117 debtified on 07.01.13 at 1:41 am

Happy Canada Day, Garth! I am proud to be a naturalized Canadian citizen and very thankful to all fellow Canadians like you.

You are better off here as a public servant than a politician like you know who.

Thank you!

#118 Puzni on 07.01.13 at 2:01 am

Garth, I’m a long time reader, thank you sticking to your values as everyone else sells them to the next higher bidder. Thank you for running this blog! Happy Canada Day.

#119 Emperialz on 07.01.13 at 2:02 am

From a mostly silent Gen Y reader … Thank you! Your words and wisdom has helped my wife and I through some very difficult times. In a age that seems upside down in logic you have been a strong voice of reason. Many of us feel that Canada is on the wrong path (see underemployed, student debt ridden, houseless members of my generation), but that doesn’t mean we do not love this country. Wanting to improve the system should never been seen as a sign of disloyalty. Keep up the great work Garth. We need you!

#120 Andrew Woburn on 07.01.13 at 2:05 am

Garth, I am a relative newcomer to your blog but I am already benefitting from your financial concepts so thank you. I was particularly affected by your Canada Day post because I had a close friend and business partner who was elected as a Liberal MP and subsequently Cabinet Minister. I had lunch with him a couple of months after his election and I was astonished to find him droning PMO talking point to me as if I were some old lady from his constituency who needed to be pacified. This is a man who was already independently wealthy and absolutely did not need his parliamentary salary. What do they do to people in Ottawa?

#121 Vivek on 07.01.13 at 2:24 am

Canada needs more people like you that can expose how the system works.

The country is, as you say, ‘acutely valuable’. However, the Govt and some monopolies are squeezing the bejesus out of the common man in way of taxes and fees. Someone has to point the way and you are one of a few.

So happy Canada day, keep up the good work and don’t apologize.

#122 JET on 07.01.13 at 2:37 am

“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” ~ André Gide, Nobel Laureate

Happy Canada Dsy!

#123 Debtfree on 07.01.13 at 2:43 am

Ed fast . Is that an oxymoron or what? Some guys will say anything for money .

#124 Yellow rox rock! on 07.01.13 at 2:48 am

Lol, today’s post generated predictably sycophantic responses; you white knight you…

But happy Canada day to all people here nevertheless! My flag is hanging proudly above the front porch. I’m grateful to have born here.

#125 Robert on 07.01.13 at 3:01 am

Well Garth, I am Canadian living abroad and I still read your post every day. Your books and posts have helped my wife and I to have an early retirement when we choose.

Thx bro.

#126 Buy? Curious? on 07.01.13 at 3:30 am

Garth, epic post!

No stupid comments today.

Here’s Rush play with Bubbles and the Dude that sings the theme to The Big Bang Theory.

Happy Canada Day!

Beware of cops.

#127 BillyBob on 07.01.13 at 3:51 am

I’m about as cynical and disillusioned as they come. Had to leave Canada when I was laid off multiple times in Canada in my profession (airline pilot). So I’ve been in exile in the Middle East, plying my trade, shovelling the tax-free $$ offshore for the day I can return to my homeland. Reading GF every day (except Sunday!), to find the one voice of common sense that seems to be left in the country. I’m sure there are others but it is astonishing to observe the sheer volume of…static, noise, disinformation that pours over most of the populace.

Anyway, on days like this I yearn to leave the heat, the foreignness, the strangeness, and be among my own people and share a cold beer. Oh, I will do so in some way, the Canadian Business Council will have some event as it always does, perhaps some pickup hockey at one of the rinks. But it isn’t the same. While I have had experiences beyond my wildest imagination due to being an expat, at times I pine for my homeland. If you cut me, I still bleed maple syrup.

Just wanted to say a sincere thank you to Mr. Turner for his efforts. One can become jaded to the point of being incapable of believing that anyone would do what he is doing, attempting to give the gift of financial freedom through financial literacy. Yet you soldier on, even in the face of – perhaps because of? – gross ignorance. I appreciate it.

Happy Canada Day from Dubai.

#128 A not-too-wrinkly wrinkly on 07.01.13 at 4:13 am

This post inspired me to post for the first time after reading your blog for the past two years. Love your blog, love this post, and love that you were the first to refuse to bend to the Harper tyrant. You’re well out of that shower of nodding dolls, that’s for sure. Too bad a few more of them can’t develop a little more self-respect and stand up for their principles. But perhaps they just don’t have any!

#129 avenirv on 07.01.13 at 5:41 am

@pathcontrolmonk

ignatieff a great canadian ?
he burried one of the 2 great canadian parties, changed many times his ideas to fit the needs ?
he could not been elected and now teaches politics ?
garth is 1 million times better to canada than that monkey.

#130 Jane Patricia on 07.01.13 at 8:40 am

Happy Canada Day!

#131 craig on 07.01.13 at 8:59 am

“Your snippets of semi- humorous responses to your readers is sometimes down right rude.”

That’s the best part of this blog.

Garth calling people IDIOTS if they don’t agree with him or flipping the bird on National TV.

NOW that is Canadian and I love it !

O Canada!

Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

#132 a prairie dawg on 07.01.13 at 9:21 am

“Soon it becomes apparent parties and voters have different agendas. Party leaders want MPs to go home and tell the people why the government is smart and competent. Voters want MPs to go to Ottawa and tell the government what needs fixing. In the end, most elected people fuss over this compromise, and end up working for the leader, not the people.”

– — –

“Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I’m being repressed.” ;)

#133 economictsunami on 07.01.13 at 9:22 am

Happy Canada Day.

To our First Nations people for practicing the spirit of sustainable stewardship.

Those who pioneered clearing the land, in an attempt to build a better life for their families.

Also our currently enlisted and vets; who are called upon, while quite often too readily forgotten about by those they selflessly serve…

#134 Daisy Mae on 07.01.13 at 9:39 am

#49 Suede: “Time for another overpriced (Las Vegas) drink…”

******************

Is there any liquor in those drinks? Last time I was in Vegas we ordered drinks with supposedly three ounces of liquor in each. What a joke THAT was. We didn’t taste any.

#135 Steven on 07.01.13 at 9:46 am

This is one very big reason why politics and government in the western world is a total failure.

#136 Mikey the Realtor on 07.01.13 at 9:54 am

Buyers are back!!! Hot off the press!!

As I told everyone on this blog, the market is resilient and there is a reason for it, people have nowhere else to put their money, the robmarkets are sick and have been for a very long time. Time to get in or be priced out forever.

#137 Musty Basement Dweller on 07.01.13 at 10:01 am

Geez, our prophet Mark Carney is barely gone and the interest rates are going up. And here I thought all of those empty words of nothingness in his regular statements, and wizard like financial decisions were keeping us safe. Come home please Mark. No I’m just kidding. Personally I think these central bankers are all hot air and in the end their actions, words, and decisions mean diddly. Have a good one,

#138 Ret on 07.01.13 at 10:20 am

“shovelling the tax-free $$ offshore for the day I can return to my homeland,”

And return home to those, oh so sweet, Canadian pensions and free medicial care for the rest of my days.

Another, “Great Canadian,” no doubt.

It is time to reflect and ask, not what you can do for your country, but what more your country can do for you.

Party on Canada!

#139 CrowdedElevatorfartz on 07.01.13 at 10:32 am

@ #102 SNAKE

What in the ‘H” “E” doublehockeysticks are you babbling about?

Apparently ,Ya dont like immigrants.

Newsflash bubba.
Canada was built on the hard work of immigrants.
Immigrants for the last 450 years.
Get over it.

Happy Canada Day

#140 drydock on 07.01.13 at 10:34 am

aurum et argentum, suem felicior mauris.

#141 Ronaldo on 07.01.13 at 10:35 am

The best to you Garth and family on Our Day. Keep up the good work, a lot of support here. Now for my daily dose of Garthism as I watch the sun rise over the bay.

#142 drydock on 07.01.13 at 10:36 am

Canada beatum diem.

#143 An Importation to Prop the Ponzi Scheme on 07.01.13 at 10:46 am

Thank you for redeeming Canada for people like me. It is rare to find a man with a backbone. Happy Canada Day!

#144 An Importation to Prop the Ponzi Scheme on 07.01.13 at 10:50 am

@#136 Mike: Typically, a terminally ill will feel so much better in the few hours left before kicking the bucket. Enjoy…

#145 TurnerNation on 07.01.13 at 10:53 am

Well running a weblog is a more exciting quasi-retirement pursuit over, say, model railroading, bird watching, or betting on the Gee-gees.

No luck for the ABXers today. It’s become uncoupled.

#146 Silent People on 07.01.13 at 11:01 am

Good Post Garth! Happy Canada Day! Politics/Government is a necessary evil. Glad you’re not still mixed up with them…

#147 Herb on 07.01.13 at 11:10 am

I’ll join the group hug: Happy Canada Day to all.

And may those who pay lip service to this nationality discover the virtues of modesty, straightforwardness and care that made us the “peaceable kingdom”, “linchpin”, “honest broker”, and envy to much of the world.

#148 Julie on 07.01.13 at 11:24 am

#48 Macrath on 06.30.13 at 8:29 pm

You have been and continue to be a great asset of the citizenry.
————————————–

Unfortunately Canada is NOT a great country anymore BECAUSE there are NOT ENOUGH people like Garth.

This Country is run as a fascist dictatorship by a party leader federally or provincially. I hope it changes someday. Until then…..I am embarrassed.

#149 Mikey the Realtor on 07.01.13 at 11:55 am

#143 An Importation to Prop the Ponzi Scheme on 07.01.13 at 10:46 am

Coming from a conspiracy crackpot it says a lot, happy canada day!

#150 Panhead on 07.01.13 at 12:04 pm

Wife and I are going to go spend Canada Day with my 90 year old Dad. Went to war for this country and is among the few left. Think I’ll give him a hug and thank him again. There’s nowhere else I’d rather be than here. Wonderful life here.
Happy Canada Day

#151 Squatter on 07.01.13 at 12:06 pm

Your blog is very useful.
Politicians who don’t care for those who elected them are a nuisance.
Happy Canada Day Garth and the dogs.

#152 Jeannie on 07.01.13 at 12:08 pm

Garth, your ‘mistake’ was in timing. You know the saying “An idea whose time has come”?
Now a new generation is ready to listen to, and welcome, present day ‘whistle-blowers’ like you.
The world’s citizens are hungry for transparency and accountability from the people that they elect.
The proof being the ‘grassroots’ movements springing up around the world, and it’s the gutsy youngsters who are spring-boarding these demands to be heard.

Might be the right time to have another run at politics?

#153 Wally on 07.01.13 at 12:17 pm

Garth: Well, I just wanted to set the record straight. I have a lot to apologize for. Loving my country, in my way, ain’t included
————————-
Consider the record straightened.

I suppose that your article about how the Calgary floods will drop short and long term Calgary property prices was just an indication of you loving Calgary, your way?

What would you expect a flood to do? — Garth

#154 DIY Plumbing Disaster in Yorkville Condo on 07.01.13 at 12:18 pm

LOL classic screw up!!

#155 Richmond Pat on 07.01.13 at 12:23 pm

Happy Canada Day everybody. Thank you for this blog Garth. I come here everyday and everyday I learn something new.

#156 Deb L on 07.01.13 at 12:39 pm

I always respected what you had to say and still do. You were not the party that I voted for, but I thought you were brave to speak for the voters. Happy Canada Day.

#157 THe Swinging Humanzee on 07.01.13 at 12:54 pm

Election’s not too far off now. Let’s consider voting for the Greater Fool Party.

#158 Steven on 07.01.13 at 1:00 pm

“This Country is run as a fascist dictatorship by a party leader federally or provincially.”
Canada is not a fascist dictatorship because I am not in charge! It isn’t even close. Otherwise there would be no debt and no politically correct special interest groups in Canada. Get your terminology right.
Canada is absolutely a Zio Masonic, prosodomite, communist demonocracy and everyone that believes otherwise is living in a dream world. And yes if you all have a shred of decency left in you then you should be offended and embarrassed at how Canada is now.

#159 Macrath on 07.01.13 at 1:26 pm

#148 Julie

It`s a deteriorating situation indeed, laws and licenses for everything but breathing. Idle Firemen unannounced at the door with an “its the law” pamphlet wanting access. Cops in “break enter and seize” mode. Don`t try to escape to the woods, they are there to, checking your numerous licenses and insuring you only catch the right species and size of polluted fish. Don`t protest, there’s an armada of truncheons, tasers and pepper spray awaiting your arrival.
Mass surveillance and data gathering the latest boom industry. But don`t worry if you haven`t done anything wrong.
Freedom and privacy all but gone, Don`t decide for yourself, because TPTB know whats best for you and we have lots of pretty fireworks for you to enjoy.
Happy Canada Day !
(rant off)

#160 Garthvader on 07.01.13 at 1:32 pm

Garth, we love you, man – don’t ever doubt it! Keep doing the right thing!!

#161 Donald Trump on 07.01.13 at 1:41 pm

Happy Canada Day to our 51st state

On July 4th either join us officially or else.

#162 Patricia@YVR on 07.01.13 at 1:44 pm

Thank-you for having the strength and courage to state your truth. It is people like you who have built our precious country and made it strong and free. We owe it to future generations to maintain the legacy.

Happy Canada Day to all!
Patricia

#163 Lilyflor on 07.01.13 at 3:51 pm

Thank you for this great blog! :)

#164 Mike T. on 07.01.13 at 4:17 pm

Happy Canada Day to everyone.

Thank you for providing and hosting this space Mr Turner.

Mikey the Realtor – you are not going to fool anyone here with your advertisement passed off as researched news stories.

Go worry about the 95% of people that remain clueless, those are your targets, not the folks here.

#165 cynically on 07.01.13 at 4:39 pm

As #4 pointed out, the system is flawed and that flaw is the result of a flaw in the Canadian character where we crab, bitch and complain all the time but do nothing about it like good colonialists. Some of us criticize the many flaws in our neighbours’ system and even their character but do nothing about our own country’s many deep-rooted problems – and we do have them.
Let’s change our thinking and create an independent nation of forward thinkers and masters of our own fate, not hangers-on to America and Britain. I think our host showed us that there was cost to his efforts but no success and the change wasn’t even deep-rooted. It will be a hard, rocky road if ever undertaken.
SM@ #43 finally got serious and said something extremely meaningful and true and which must be changed before anything else.

#166 Donald Trump on 07.01.13 at 4:42 pm

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.

Vladimir Lenin

==================================

#167 live within your means on 07.01.13 at 5:40 pm

Happy Canada Day from France.

Fantastic weather in the south. Visiting lots of fabulous historic places. Composing this on hubby’s tablet in our cousin’s large solarium while there are singing French songs – both have great voices. They have such a fab place – terraced acreage w/250 yr old cypres trees, magnolias and fruit trees. And we have our own large separate apt. Couldn’t ask for more. In 2 days will leave for Bordeaux to spend several days with ‘net’ friends. Excuse errors – first time using a tablet. It’s going to take me a while to get used to it.

Keep up the good work Garth.

#168 Bob Loblaw on 07.01.13 at 8:15 pm

Canada’s parliament could use a helluva lot more folks like you.

#169 Derek on 07.01.13 at 8:21 pm

Garth…making Canada a better place one blog at the time ……and for that we thank you.

Happy Canada Day from hot, hot Vancouver B.C.

#170 a fan on 07.01.13 at 8:29 pm

Hey Garth,

I think

#102 SNAKE on 07.01.13 at 12:07 am

Needs a kick in the ass.

#171 snake on 07.01.13 at 10:56 pm

Canadian market is going to crush soon

#172 snake on 07.02.13 at 12:29 am

#139 CrowdedElevatorfartz on 07.01.13 at 10:32 am

What in the ‘H” “E” doublehockeysticks are you babbling about?

Apparently ,Ya dont like immigrants.

Newsflash bubba.
Canada was built on the hard work of immigrants.
Immigrants for the last 450 years.
Get over it.

Happy Canada Day
————————————————————-
I don’t have a problem with immigrant it’s just around my neighbourhood couple srilankan who came to this country less than 6 month to year already own a house worth $500000+

just wondering how they got all the money last Christmas some of them were bragging about how they got so much toys from toybank while the couple were working as a janitors now they own $500000 homes. I have even some of them in the local food bank, food bank is situated in the next building I work at.

this is article that’s comes to my mind

##################################

#171 a fan on 07.01.13 at 8:29 pm
Hey Garth,

I think

#102 SNAKE on 07.01.13 at 12:07 am

Needs a kick in the ass.
—————————————————-

if your opinion is different from other best you do is kicking somebody in the ass wow keep it up, that the best way of dealing with problem in life
one solution – KICKING

#173 snake on 07.02.13 at 1:14 am

#139 CrowdedElevatorfartz on 07.01.13 at 10:32 am

What in the ‘H” “E” doublehockeysticks are you babbling about?

Apparently ,Ya dont like immigrants.

Newsflash bubba.
Canada was built on the hard work of immigrants.
Immigrants for the last 450 years.
Get over it.

Happy Canada Day
————————————————————-

just wondering how they got all the money last Christmas some of them were bragging about how they got so much toys from toybank while the couple were working as a janitors now they own $500000 homes. I have even some of them in the local food bank, food bank situated in the next building I work at.

this is article that’s comes to my mind

##################################

#171 a fan on 07.01.13 at 8:29 pm
Hey Garth,

I think

#102 SNAKE on 07.01.13 at 12:07 am

Needs a kick in the ass.
—————————————————-

one solution – KICKING

#174 Junior Garthologist on 07.02.13 at 10:07 am

Oh! Supreme Garth, God of Canadian Investors, with your extreme wisdom, please tell us what you think the loonie will be worth at the end of 2013.
When it was @ $1.00 US, bank analysts said it would slide to $0.95. When it reached $0.95, they said it would slide to $0.90. They sure can’t be relied upon.

Certainly. It will be worth 100 cents Canadian. — Garth

#175 Doug in London on 07.02.13 at 10:52 am

First, I’m slow to respond to this topic as I was enjoying the Canada Day festivities yesterday. Garth, that’s a good summary of what is wrong with how government operates. A similar thing can happen in companies, where they say they want team players (not a bad thing in itself) but what they really want is yes men who do what they’re told. When that’s what they get, productivity and innovation suffer as a result. Often the people with the best ideas are seen as rebels who ruffle too many feathers. Good examples are Tommy Douglas or better yet Sir John A MacDonald, who back in the 1860’s suggested the colonies of Canada West (Ontario), Canada East (Quebec), New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and others to follow should all join together as one country. A lot of people in those days were opposed to the idea. It took a rebellious, think outside the box visionary to think of such an idea in the first place.

Fast forward to the present, Garth is probably contributing more to this great country of ours with this blog, writing books, and giving speeches than if he stayed in Ottawa, but not before getting the wheels in motion to get us the TFSA. I hope all you MP’s in Ottawa, Queens Park, and other provincial/territorial governments are reading this blog. Last but not least, hope you all got out for Canada Day celebrations.

#176 Tom from Calgary on 07.02.13 at 6:13 pm

Sir, you do not have to explain yourself to anyone. Hold your head high and keep doing what you believe in. In my humble thought I think you went for the wrong chair. You should have gone for the big chair. Besides chicks dig it.

#177 Cici on 07.02.13 at 11:01 pm

Ahh, my good ol’ friends Bob & Doug :-)

Take off to the Great White North
Take off it’s a beauty way to go

Deloodoodoodo doo doo doo…