Best

A reporter called this week looking for an interview on the national anthem. Got me remembering a few things.

Nineteen years ago the long-haired morning man at a hick Ontario radio station lamented the fact no decent version of O Canada existed to open his show with. Why was that, he wondered on air? Why no ‘We Are The World’ rock star-studded version of our anthem to inspire kids and melt jaded hearts?

So he started a crusade to create one. But being a DJ from Smallsville, he struck out. So called his local MP. And after one minute, I got it.

First I went to the federal government for funding to finance an updated recording, and to send a copy to every school. After all, it was the 125th anniversary of Confederation, and Ottawa has a giant pot of money to throw around.

But I was rejected. The mandarins, led by Joe Clark, told me point blank O Canada was ‘too divisive’ and would not resonate with Quebeckers or ethnic voters. So I told them to get stuffed.

Four months later I’d raised a million dollars from the CEOs of companies like Ford Canada, Coke and Canada Post. I turned this over to the DJ, who had devoted his life to the project, and he actually pulled it off. A pop version of the song was done, featuring a mess of big name artists, and a new symphonic version which you can now hear late at night when TV stations expire. And, yes, we sent a CD to every school in the land.

Then, on Canada Day, with the Queen in attendance, we arranged for all these rock stars to take to the stage on Parliament Hill and perform the anthem. In the darkness, a hundred thousand people sitting on the grass suddenly stood and belted it out. I wept.

‘Thank you, man,’ he said. ‘This was my best day.’

Canada does that to people.

#1 T.O. Bubble Boy on 06.30.11 at 9:23 pm

Maestro Fresh-Wes in there at about 4:00… nice!

#2 Mr. Lee on 06.30.11 at 9:23 pm

We should all take some time and think about today’s blog entry. We re lucky that we live in a damn fine country called Canada.

All the best on Canada day to all my fellow Canadians.

#3 Publius Enigma on 06.30.11 at 9:25 pm

You should give the Fender away to the next contest winner on your blog.

Beats the hell out of a book, no?

#4 American Werewolf on 06.30.11 at 9:25 pm

Pawn the Fender man. The Fender bubble is about to pop and you don’t want to be left in the cold.

#5 McSteve on 06.30.11 at 9:26 pm

Great extended version. Most people don’t know there are several verses of O’Canada that rarely get sung.

Ever sung O’Canada at a hockey game and wonder what the literal translation of the French lyrics are?

” O Canada! Our fathers’ land of old
Thy brow is crown’d with leaves of red and gold.
Beneath the shade of the Holy Cross
Thy children own their birth
No stains thy glorious annals gloss
Since valour shield thy hearth.
Almighty God! On thee we call
Defend our rights, forfend this nation’s thrall,
Defend our rights, forfend this nation’s thrall.”

#6 Linda Pearson on 06.30.11 at 9:30 pm

Thank- you Garth. Merci aussi.

#7 NightOwl on 06.30.11 at 9:36 pm

I recall that the ’92 Canada Day evening show on the Hill had a higher than usual budget due to the 125th.

I remember Randy Bachman performing “Share The Land” with Jeff Healey, and Gordon Lightfoot singing the “Canadian Railroad Trilogy” from the Hill.

#8 mid-Ontario on 06.30.11 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Garth.
Happy Canada Day everyone!

#9 BrianT on 06.30.11 at 9:37 pm

Here’s a classic for all the newcomers to this fine land http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk

#10 Publius Enigma on 06.30.11 at 9:43 pm

#4 American Werewolf on 06.30.11 at 9:25 pm
The Fender bubble is about to pop and you don’t want to be left in the cold.

The Fender bubble will never pop as long as David Gilmour lives:

#11 waterloo Resident on 06.30.11 at 9:46 pm

Way to go Garth !!! You are a God amongst men !
I salute you.
Happy Canada Day !!!

#12 Thetruth on 06.30.11 at 9:52 pm

Happy Canada Day to all here in Canada!!

I guess same goes to the 2.8 MILLION ‘Canadians’ that choose to live in another country. That is more than the entire population of Greater Vancouver!

Guess after you buy the Canadian citizenship,you move back, earn income without paying taxes to Canada, use Canadian Services when you need to (come back for medical procedures, collect GIS, subsidized education when you have kids, etc.)

If this isn’t destroying a country, I don’t know what is.

#13 Dorothy on 06.30.11 at 9:55 pm

Happy Canada Day from coast to coast to coast. No matter how bad things may get economically, this is still one of the best places on earth to call home.
Best Wishes to all of you!

#14 Lisa on 06.30.11 at 10:04 pm

The True North, Strong and Free!

#15 NorthofMilton on 06.30.11 at 10:05 pm

I think it ironic that the Harper New World Order has sold Canada’s science and technology jewel for a pittance today to SNC-Lavalin. Some of the best nuclear minds in North America will be laid off and probably looking south of the boarder for new careers. 900 people out of work in Oakville. Happy Canada Day!

#16 tandr on 06.30.11 at 10:05 pm

a great moment for Canada. While Vancouver may have been the venue, the speech resonates in the heart of every red and white blooded Canadian

#17 Marty on 06.30.11 at 10:06 pm

Joe who?

#18 Jim Hamilton on 06.30.11 at 10:09 pm

Can I have the telecaster? Oh Garth please

#19 Ronaldo on 06.30.11 at 10:09 pm

Proud to be 11th Generation Canadian. Thanks Garth.

#20 Bill Gable on 06.30.11 at 10:09 pm

Dropping names, apologies: Randy Bachman and I have been friends for 35 years.
* I introduced him to his wife Denise (long story).

Today’s post was very emotional for me.

First – no surprise our squirrel gun toting leader was the organizer of this soul stirrer – but I bring this up, because I lived in Mexico for a number of years.

I had my Canadian Burgee on my boat – and one very sunny and steamy (*as only it can be in Zihuatanejo) day, a small mexican fishing boat (The wide prowed specials used my many brave offshore types in Mexico) came ambling by – he pointed to the burgee and said in Spanish “Canada is the greatest Country in the World” – and then he sang Oh Canada IN ENGLISH, badly, for a few lines.

I was reduced to rubble.

I love Canada with all my heart. I have lived around the world – and this is a great place to be, warts and all.

When I came home – I greeted the border guard and said, “Ma’am – I am so pleased to be back in the Greatest Country in the world”.
She actually smiled and said – “You said it, Sir – welcome home”.

Thanks for reminding us Garth, that despite our problems, we live in a country that produces great humans like my dear friend Randy (yeah, I like Burton too, but not as much), and a guy like you.

(*Mr. Turner, selfishly) – I am still hacked that you are not Prime Minister.

God Bless the Turner Family and his partners and ALL of you wonderful Blog Dawgs here – and Happy Birthday.

Canada.

WE LOVE YOU and always will.

#21 Aaron on 06.30.11 at 10:14 pm

I know swearing is frowned upon here, but Garth, the only thing that comes to mind after reading this beautiful little vignette is:

Fuckin’ eh bro.

#22 Jim Hamilton on 06.30.11 at 10:15 pm

I wish I had a telecaster, I’d play it every day

#23 Raj on 06.30.11 at 10:20 pm

Happy Canada Day to everyone!!

#24 TaxHaven on 06.30.11 at 10:28 pm

You certainly ARE a boomer…!

#25 TurnerNation on 06.30.11 at 10:29 pm

As I once said we can easily resolve the controversy over the line “God keep our land glorious and free”
by changing it to “Garth keep our land glorious and free” :-P

Bachman is a true icon, before my time but the Guess Who and BTO made some solid music. I’d call them the Tragically Hip of their era.

I once saw an (the?) American Women song master tape courtesy of their late producer Jack Richardson.

#26 Stevie Why ?? on 06.30.11 at 10:32 pm

and Harper resonates to the masses in Canada with the Beatles “I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends” ……… hmmmmmm methinks Harper …. I CAN GET BY WITHOUT YOU MY FRIEND ….. now isn’t that Sweeeeeet Caroline …….. HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE !!!

#27 Jon B on 06.30.11 at 10:37 pm

Disagree. This is the best version to date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOY0-MBOh_o

#28 Mr. Lahey on 06.30.11 at 10:44 pm

Well done Garth and thank you. A happy Canada Day to all the blog dogs and their families and to you and your family Garth. I have travelled to many lands and I can confidently say, there is no place like home, our beloved Canada.

#29 Nostradamus Le Mad Vlad on 06.30.11 at 10:44 pm

Great column, Garth. “I turned this over to the DJ, who had devoted his life to the project, and he actually pulled it off.” — The DJ should be given a lot of credit for actually coming up with the idea, then to you (and others) who pulled it off.
#9 BrianT — Good tune — Robert Plant looks roughly the same, but the hair is shorter!

#10 Publius Enigma — You’re probably aware that David Gilmour’s last album, “Live in Gdansk” was released a few years ago. Rick Wright, the keyboardist toured with him, so they threw in a few old Floyd favorites.

The last song on that tour was Echoes — full length 25:11, with a 40-piece symphony orchestra. A few weeks later, Wright was diagnosed with cancer, and died a short while later. Wright wrote the lyrics and titled it Echoes. Nice way to exit stage left.
#177 Hoof – Hearted on 06.30.11 at 8:11 pm — “. . . economic surgical strike on Greece…but it may be the downfall of these elitist scum.”

All it takes is one, simple small mistake by a trader and the whole house of cards comes crashing down. They deserve to get back all they have put out. Screw ‘em!

#30 Roial1 on 06.30.11 at 10:44 pm

It’s too bad that S.H & Flatulance don’t love it like the rest of us.

Happy Canada Day!

#31 wes_coast on 06.30.11 at 10:45 pm

Canada gave my parents a new home – when theirs was overtaken by communists. I am forever grateful for Canada. I pray we never lose site of the values that make this nation greater than the sum of its parts. Happy and safe Canada Day to you all and especially to our women and men in Afghanistan. We owe you more than we could ever repay. God Bless!

#32 Bev on 06.30.11 at 10:50 pm

OMG, what a great version of Oh Canada! Play it in every school, every radio station and every Canada Day celebration. Inspiring and beautiful. When was it made and why haven’t I heard it! Happy Canada Day to all, we are so blessed!

#33 TurnerNation on 06.30.11 at 10:50 pm

Garth, are you a mod or a rocker?

#34 Harlee on 06.30.11 at 11:02 pm

@ #3 Publius and # 19 J. Hamilton
Dream on boys….dream on…Garth will keep that Bachman signed fender and I don’t blame him. So,go and beg somewhere else .
Despite her problems, on July 1st of every year,Canada is the BEST country in the world.
Happy Canada Day 2011 everyone!

#35 a prairie dawg on 06.30.11 at 11:07 pm

Interesting story. Thanks “eh”.

#36 Al on 06.30.11 at 11:08 pm

Thank you Garth for having the strenght to pursue what is good for Canada !

#37 EdmontonJim on 06.30.11 at 11:13 pm

That… is probably the best thing I’ve read on this blog. Awesome story. Happy Canada Day everyone!

#38 Nonplused on 06.30.11 at 11:17 pm

That cost a million to produce in 1991? I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s good, but a million? Did you have to pay everyone to perform? In 1991 a million was real money. Be like 4 million today.

Anyway, cost efficient or not, it’s a nice piece of work.

#39 Fleabitten Monkey on 06.30.11 at 11:18 pm

Looking for a quick clarification in your prowse….did he give you the gold pen or the Fender Telecaster? If the latter, then Garth man, you have truly gone up to another of level of cool for me. Rock On Bro! And come to think of it, if the former, you are still the coolest. I have a feeling all those jokes about the Stones are in jest. Happy Canada Day and thanks for creating your blog.

#40 Jed on 06.30.11 at 11:18 pm

# 14 Mickey Mouse RE “Go back to where you came from”; well, that includes you too. This land does not belong to the group of old white men who doled it out. If you really want to resepct this land then learn a little about its history. The idea of nationhood is pretty new in human history of has tinges of racism behind the veil. As Goering said, “First convince the people that they have an enemy (foreign peoples); then they are easy to manipulate.” No disresepct to what Garth accomplished, but this too goes to show that the establishment has no morality. “Like it or leave it” is a pretty rednecked, bigot thnig to say. Much harder to live with diversity and realize that your way might not be the only right way; you might jsut have to change your self-justified anthropocentric ideas. Or if you believe that crap, then start getting to know how first peoples lived here for thousands of years and see how you like living in a cedar hut in Vancouver’s cold winter (which lasts 8 months)…

#41 vyw on 06.30.11 at 11:18 pm

Happy Canada Day, everyone!

#42 a prairie dawg on 06.30.11 at 11:23 pm

In keeping with the theme of this post here’s a nod to fellow Canadian iconic rockers, The Tragically Hip.

“Late breaking story on the CBC, a Nation whispered, we always knew that he’d go free.

And you can’t be fond of livin’ in the past, cuz if you are then there’s no way that you’re going to last… ”

#43 MO on 06.30.11 at 11:23 pm

Ridiculous that they rejected it as being too divisive. Glad to see you had the backbone to get it done despite the challenges.

#44 Hector's Corpse on 06.30.11 at 11:23 pm

#16 NorthofMilton:

“I think it ironic that the Harper New World Order has sold Canada’s science and technology jewel for a pittance today”

If you think this is ironic, get ready to hear about the sell off of another Canadian jewel… Nortel’s arsenal of Canadian taxpayer funded patents and intellectual property:

#45 Mel on 06.30.11 at 11:24 pm

My husband and I have been retired eight years now. Since that day, we have been ‘ looking’ for another home outside of this country we call Canada.

After assessing all things like taxes, respect for your fellow citizens,language,landscape, standard of living, currency exchange, health care cost and politics. Well, we have found that there is no ‘ greener grass’ on the other side.

In the end, we are here to stay.

There is no better country then ours. Perhaps we need to change our Political leaders from time to time. But, this country is ours to live and care for.

May this Country of ours always be land of peace, liberty and freedom.

Happy Canada Day!

#46 Kim on 06.30.11 at 11:24 pm

My favorite story is when my parents came here and had us, my mother asked my father “what should the kids do after school? Gymnastics, dance, ballet , art?”
My father was quiet for a moment and said “Skate. They should learn how to skate, because a good Canadian knows how to skate.”
Mom and Dad celebrate every year, with champagne, on the anniversary day that they became Canadians Citizens.

I am proud to be a CANADIAN.
I skate, try to buy ‘made in canada’ stuff, drink Canadian beer and I’ve had sex in a canoe
Happy Canada to you all!! xo

#47 Aussie Roy on 06.30.11 at 11:25 pm

Aussie Update

Australia Housing: Local Bulls vs. Foreign Bears

Australian home prices in 2011 have fallen the most in three years, pitting local banks which say the drop will be short lived against overseas investors betting it’s the start of an overdue rout.

A simple case of the delusional Aussie house speculator no longer being able to see what is the elephant in the room, prices are just too high.

MELBOURNE property values have continued their six-month downward slide, recording the fourth-largest drop across the country.

#48 Carp on 06.30.11 at 11:29 pm

Vive le Quebec … Vive le Canada …. Vive Garth …

#49 smartalox on 06.30.11 at 11:42 pm

@McSteve:

What? The translation of Ô Canada is this:

Ô Canada, land of our forebearers,
Your brow is crowned with glorious flowers
Though your arm can carry the sword, it can also carry the cross,
Your history is an epic tale of you most brilliant exploits!
And your valour, steeped in faith, will forever protect our rights and freedoms.

Will forever protect our rights and freedoms.

A truly stirring national hymn. It brings tears to my eyes every time I sing it. in French, even in the heart of English Canada. Sure, people have taken me to task for being different, but not a single one hasn’t shaken my hand and thanked me once I gave them the translation.

#50 garrulous squirrel on 06.30.11 at 11:45 pm

This countries stand on everything politically correct has made it a great place to be a government worker , politician or the refugee with his handout, but for the sick, the seniors, the workers, the middle class, the hungry, the disenfranchised, the small business owner……it’s a tax trap . Our work and savings are plundered by those effete politicians who make themselves rich and then assuage their guilt by giving the country’s wealth away to anyone else but the people who made the land prosper.

We should all take a trip out of the country and on the way back stuff our passports down the toilet so that we get off the plane we can say…” No English…gimme gimme gimme”.

#51 Increasing that 1% on 06.30.11 at 11:45 pm

To add to the sentiment here,

It really can be an indescribable feeling when returning back into Canada after being away -for one day- one month, whatever
And being just a first-generation Canadian…can only imagine how Native, or as Ronaldo above -11th generation, Canadians feel.
Does help one understand the passion in Greece–Don’t f*** with my Country!

#52 wetcoaster on 06.30.11 at 11:50 pm

That was classic … and a Telecaster too ! We need more Garths in this country.

#53 Debtfree on 06.30.11 at 11:52 pm

Sheila Copps I still miss you thanks for the flag.
Happy Canada Day darling.

#54 ZEROth generation Canadian on 06.30.11 at 11:54 pm

I am an immigrant to Canada and would like to say thank you to Canada for giving my family a chance to live in the most beautiful country in the world.

I am a professional engineer in Alberta , working with canadian born people of all ages(21 to 78) and I have to say the experience has been extremely good.No matter what happens, Im not going anywhere, I will live my entire life and die here in Canada.

I lived in GTA for first four years after arrival (2002 to 2006) where initially I lived in NorthYork and later in Mississauga , where I also bought a nice house.When I lost my job, I moved to Alberta where I finally settled in Red deer.What a nice place to live!!!

If you ask me why I like Canada so much, I must say it is the Rockies.In last 5 years of stay in AB, I have done 18 hikes between Waterton and Jasper.Camped with family many times.It is a totally supernatural world – the rockies.Im sure many of you have travelled across this beautiful part of country and if not, I urge you to do so.If you call yourself Canadian, you must visit this place at-least once.Take a drive from Canmore to Jasper.

Sorry for incoherent rambling here, most of my English writing has been only for technical reports and not describing feelings.

#55 ZEROth generation Canadian on 06.30.11 at 11:55 pm

Forgot to say Happy Canada day to all !!!!!

#56 Get Real on 07.01.11 at 12:12 am

Can we please get on with the RE blog??

Have lived in many different parts of Canada (and US). Great people

Can’t say the same about most Vancouverites …smug, entitled and delusional.

#57 Tom from Mississauga on 07.01.11 at 12:13 am

True patriot on Guard for Thee. Thanks for bailing out the little guy here on this blog everyday Garth.

#58 The Phantom on 07.01.11 at 12:14 am

Garth and friends:

Happy Canada Day! (It was formerly known as Dominion Day a few decades back: a little bit of historical trivia there for the newer generation that places some importance on the Queen and the Monarchy). Love my country and the principles, interests and values it represents, promotes and defends here at home and abroad. Do we have it perfect here? No. Are there matters that cause me concern or anger me from time to time? Certainly. All that being said, I’d like to think that those items that we cherish and those bonds that unite us as fellow citizens are stronger than the forces that would divide and tear us apart. Our unity after all these years bears silent witness to that fact. I am proud of Canada and the role it plays internationally; I am proud to serve and defend those beliefs when asked to do so and still believe, notwithstanding some of the changes I’d like to see come to fruition that we have something pretty special; something very unique that we can all be proud of.

the Phantom

#59 Deliverator on 07.01.11 at 12:17 am

Probably. And their new careers most likely won’t be in nuclear reactor design, and all the little details of current and future Candu designs that don’t make it into technical specs and drawings will be lost. That’s just the way it is.

#60 Patz on 07.01.11 at 12:20 am

Great story Garth, but can you play it? Kidding.

As dismal as the Stanley Cup was this year I loved the way the crowd in the arena sang the anthem at the home games. Too bad the crowd outside didn’t join in.

#61 Jody on 07.01.11 at 12:34 am

I always thought big hair died in the 80′s but like everything else Canada seems to be a few years behind the curve. Whatever happened to Samantha Taylor from that show “Video Hits?” It was the precursor to MuchMusic, not sure if that still exists. I like the fact Garth went out and raised money from the private sector, now that’s being a Canadian, I love ya man! I still think they should of got Gowan to sing.

#62 Lawn (South) Asian on 07.01.11 at 12:35 am

Great story Garth. Now, every time I think anthem I’ll think of it… lol…

#63 Jody on 07.01.11 at 12:44 am

1:13 into the song, I swear to God I see Pat Burns in the back row, not only a hockey coach but a singer as well. And who was the chick with the pick flowers for a collar? Fashion from the olden days. And who is that belting it out at 3:29? Thats not Milli Vanilla is it? He could sing it’s time to go to bed and make it a number one hit.

#64 keny65 on 07.01.11 at 12:53 am

Your true nazi -monarchistic nature finally comes thru…check your royal family history.Canada is a country with a racist past and with pure blooded unadultered anglo-saxon master race leaders.So bringing in afew pop stars to hype it all up doesn’t and never will impress me… The royals are so cool…until your in a gas chamber with 2/3 of the planet.If you don’t believe me check out prince phillip(queen elisabeth little known husband) in ss uniform or his public comments regarding his next life as an virus wich would wipe out 2/3 of the planet.Hitler himself had more self control!!!!!!

#65 tkid on 07.01.11 at 1:07 am

Best post ever!

#66 UK lurker on 07.01.11 at 1:27 am

I will be moving to Canada in one month’s time to live and stay. It has been my dream since I can remember, and I have been very lucky to get PR and an excellent job.

I am a scientist by training, and spend my life analysing data and drawing conclusions. My conclusion about the next couple of decades is that Canada is one of the best places to escape the consequences of the impending energy and resource crunch which will crush the living standards of most Europeans. But more than that, it is a beautiful country, and unlike your neighbours to the south, Canadians seem a pretty decent bunch, in spite of their house horniness!

Happy Canada day!

#67 An Cat Dubh on 07.01.11 at 1:28 am

I’m sure Joe Clark had no trouble handing money to his buddy Robert Mugabe and his cronies for whatever they had in mind. Good story Garth. Like they saying goes. If you want something done right, you got to do it yourself.

#68 hobbygirl on 07.01.11 at 1:38 am

In spite of our financial challenges, we continue to possess vast wealth compared to many other unfortunate nations. We live in peace with each other by simply agreeing to disagree respectfully at times but there is so much more that we agree on than not.

We all want a prosperous land – how we do it is cause for debate.

We are a blessed land and people – and take the time out to appreciate what we have accomplished so far.

We are proud of our citizenry – and make self-deprecating jokes to reinforce it.

Our environment can be harsh – so we use it to create the best athletes

Our land is vast – but it brings us closer together.

To all you my fellow Comrades, enjoy your Canada Day and carry the spirit always.

#69 Gone! on 07.01.11 at 1:50 am

Not a good country to try and raise a family and afford to live in a major city. The USA beats us at that. Time to take the wife and kids and become an ex pat. At least I’ll have the right to vote AND money in my pocket. God bless the USA. No snow to shovel in Florida. Distorted housing markets in this country have punished the young….our most vulnerable citizens. Let’s see if ONE active politician will come forward on this blog and address this issue with SUBSTANCE.

#70 Basil Fawlty on 07.01.11 at 3:06 am

Wow! Great story Garth, there are a lot of good people up here.

#71 Bartman on 07.01.11 at 3:12 am

The Vancouver Sun actually published a story about the Capital Economics report:

What will the natives think?

#72 Beach Girl on 07.01.11 at 3:23 am

I am very fortunate to live in Canada. So is Russell the nasty dog. I am first generation Canadian. Love that. Could live a distinctively worse life in Europe. Happy Canada Day everybody.

#73 busman7 on 07.01.11 at 3:26 am

As a former Canadian small business operator who got fed up with being persecuted by government greed, sold out & is now an expat, I can only give thanks that I no longer have to put up with the BS involved in living in Canada as it slides into 3rd world status!

#74 DBL on 07.01.11 at 4:45 am

HAPPY 144TH BIRTHDAY CANADA ! <;)
A beautiful sunrise here in Nova Scotia this morning . As much as we bitch and complain, we are all very lucky to be able to live our lives in this country.

#75 Aussie Roy on 07.01.11 at 4:52 am

Aussie Update

ING Aussie Household wellbeing index

• Households that are “very uncomfortable” with their household bills say that their cost of living
has risen 9.1%
• Over the last six months households have experienced “significant increases” in essential goods
and service including:
• Medicine
• Schooling
• Utilities
• Transport/fuel/motor vehicle costs.
Savings and credit cards plug the gap.
• In a bid to meet rising bills, credit card debt has blown out, rising from a median of $1,775 per
household in Q4 2010 to $2,205 in Q1 2011.
• As times get tougher, savings are suffering. Median savings per household have plummeted from
$9,238 in Q4 2010 to $7,215 in Q1 2011.
• Almost one in three households (31%) has less than $1,674 in personal savings.
• 33% of Australians are “uncomfortable” with their level of savings.
• More than one in four households (28%) is “uncomfortable” with their level of investments.
• Close to half (48%) have no investments outside the family home.

READ that last point again, then consider of the 52% left 38% of people do have an investment, an investment property – FOLKS.

One more thing the MSM tell us that the public is saving not spending but take a look another look at these 3 points.

Savings and credit cards plug the gap.
household in Q4 2010 to $2,205 in Q1 2011.
$9,238 in Q4 2010 to $7,215 in Q1 2011.

New house building slumps but that is a good thing because we have a shortage – LOL

Or this GEM from Brisbane, Ah but the shortage will support prices – What F*&%$ng shortage ?.

#76 Tim on 07.01.11 at 4:57 am

I love Canada, maybe one day we will be truly free and live in a society where they cannot turn it into a police state at will when the G20 come to town. Just my 2 cents.

#77 Ravishing rick on 07.01.11 at 5:07 am

Yes the anger vs real estate needs to be set aside so we remember that Canada isn’t a bad place to live by any comparison!

What does suck however:

1) real estate
2) government public sector salary and benefits waste
3) park-n-ride immigration
4) bloc quebecois
5) Celine Dion
6) the canucks

#78 munch on 07.01.11 at 5:11 am

Happy Canada day everyone, sincerely!

Now, what is Canada day?

Regards, The Munch

#79 housedoc on 07.01.11 at 6:09 am

How about some crackers for all that cheese?
Couldn’t stomach it back then any more than I can now.

#80 Onemorething on 07.01.11 at 6:21 am

2.8M expat Canadians living abroad that’s what I heard from the High Commission at his house last night somewhere here in SE ASIA.

#81 Bottoms_Up on 07.01.11 at 6:38 am

Happy Canada Day to All! I heard we’re expecting 500,000 on parliament hill today. It’s going to be nuts.

#82 3rd largest on 07.01.11 at 6:42 am

Love the Canadian anthem, but why the french part in it? I know Canada is English and french, but us English people don’t know the french words in the song and English is far more spoken than french. The anthem used to be all-english right?

Leaving now for the 3rd largest Canada Day celebration outside of Canada.

#83 miketheengineer on 07.01.11 at 7:06 am

Garth et al:

Happy Canada Day to everyone.

Hamilton:

A word about Hamilton. There are good things and bad things about every city/town. I lived in Hamilton for 30 years before moving to Mississauga for work.

Good Things:

1) Waterfalls and Hiking. No matter where you are “in” the city, you can find some stunning waterfalls to hike around. Take a trip and seek out Albion Falls (Red Hill Valley) , or any of the other spectacular falls in and around Hamilton. Dundas has some exceptional water falls.

2) Go Station, buses in town are decent, good university in town (McMaster). Grade schools are o.k. Some good restaurants. 1/2 way between Toronto and Niagara.

3) Yes RE is cheaper there. I could sell my 1000sf semi in Mississauga and buy my parents 1950′s bungalo on a Huge pie shape lot (including pool, gazebo, detached 2 car garage, green house, garden, 40 feet of grape vines, 40 feet of black berries) and enough room to add tennis court if you want. And I would have about 80k left for rennovations. Not that the home would need them.

4) It is a slower life style there. People move there and die there, rarely moving more than once or twice in their lives. In GTA average is 5 years or so for moving.

The not so good things.

1) The city has become a city of “have” and “have nots”. Either you have a good pension or are working, or you are “low income”. The lower city has good areas on the east side and on the west side (near McMaster) and “pockets” in the central core. The upper city, has good and bad areas too. My advice is to buy into a newer home, new neighbour hood, or find a good older established area. Check with the police or find someone who lives there, and they will tell you “exactly” which areas to avoid.

2) Even though 1/2 of the steel industry has been moth balled….it is still there along with a whole host of other “heavy industry” . And yes there is a stink. But as anyone who lives in Hamiton knows it all blows to Burlington. I lived there and only noticed the stink, as you got close to steel industries, and when I went to visit relatives on Burlington Street. When we moved from the Hammer to Mississauga, my spouse “mysteriously” stopped coughing. (it was like a smokers cough). There is more pollution there.

3) I did the Car commute from the hammer to the airport in T.O. for about a year. Burned out my car (it actually caught fire going over the skyway). It is not for everyone, and you do pay a price for that. But the go train is now there…so use it. Don’t even consider driving if you don’t have to into downtown T.O.

My advice:

Hamilton is a bit far.

Toronto RE is outa line with the average Joe. I see the guy on my street, wife works at Tim’s, he works in accounting. They have same house as me, drive 2 nicer cars, etc. If these new comers can make it in Miss…then you can too. Get a small semi, near go station, price ~ 400k or so. It can be anywhere, along go train line. East or West.

Just me thoughts on GTA. If I was just starting out and got my first job as engineer at say 50k, there would be no way that I could buy a home now. In 1997, my semi was 150 or 3x my income and that was what I bought. Home prices have hyper inflated due to non confidence in the stock market, RE pumpers, CMHC, and low interest rates, and “stupid” people getting deeper than 3x their income. And peoples incomes have not recovered. It will crash, it has to crash, and when it does, a lot of people are going to learn big big lesson.

Also, when it crashes, do you really want to be in Hamilton?

#84 LH on 07.01.11 at 7:19 am

Best… Place on Earth!!

Happy Canada Day!

#85 zombiedelight on 07.01.11 at 7:29 am

The True North, Strong and Free!

____________

As long as you bend over, you call it freedom!

Canada Hanging Louis Riel was about freedom too, right?
Le samedi et le mardi de la matraque was about freedom too, right?
Going to Iraq where there was NO weapons of mass destruction was about freedom, isnt it?
Paying high taxes for a mexican sex change is freedom too.

Bend over, take it, then you’re still lucky we let you walk the land, oh wait we’ll beat you if you show up at the G20. We’ll jail you if you insist on anti-abortion tax force.

The Lying North, Weak and castrated!

Resist those blind worshippers: Dissidence is the highest form of patriotism!!!!!!!

#86 Sky on 07.01.11 at 7:38 am

@ NightOwl ( # 7 ) : I see your ” Share the Land ” and I raise you with this one :

Incredible voice …. back in the day…..sigh .

#87 Bob Copeland on 07.01.11 at 7:47 am

I’m an American who in 1978 or 79 took my kids to the Calgary Stampede. I remember well when they played the Canadian anthem nobody stood up. You could tell the visiting Americans when our anthem was sung because about a third of the crowd stood for it.
What you did was really important and needed. Mr. Turner you must be very proud and should be.

#88 Kim on 07.01.11 at 7:47 am

#77 Ravishing Rick …. you are so right.
Some useless information: Celine Dion got her American citizenship in 2006.

#89 leopotato on 07.01.11 at 8:06 am

Your best yet Garth. Brought tears to my eyes!

#90 Bill Grable on 07.01.11 at 8:10 am

To Gone – good riddance. You should fit right in down in Brokemerika. Guns, crips, m-13 and crumbling everything – my sincere wish is you enjoy how Americans will welcome you with open arms. Don’t come back, y’all.
You sound so happy. Grade three diploma in hand. Try Detroit – you will love it.
25% of Yanks are underwater. 40 million on food assistance – a nuke plant about to meltdown in NB and Los Alamos is burning.
Brilliant thinking. You sure you aren’t Joe Clark? Truly a malaprop if there ever was one.
We won’t miss you.

#91 Uki_7 on 07.01.11 at 8:28 am

Happy Canada Day everyone !
I am first generation and I love this country – best country in the world !

#92 Derek on 07.01.11 at 8:42 am

I love this country and am saddened to see what is happening to it. Our politicians are selling it out to the mass immigration lobby in the name of buying votes. And the sanctimonious, trembling lipped, politically correct bullies continue to shout down anyone who voices their opposition, citing the cult of multiculturalism.

#93 ballingsford on 07.01.11 at 8:43 am

Garth, thanks for providing the story and the link to the video today. How appropriate for Canada Day! I’m just about to head up to the Hill and wouldn’t it have been wonderful for that rendition be played for the Duke and Duchess and also half a million people.

If anyone out there has any influence, maybe they could get them to play it today and show it on the big screen around noon!

#94 Alberta Ed on 07.01.11 at 8:52 am

We came to Canada as refugees 42 years ago during Vietnam War, and never regretted it. This is a great country.

#95 SMOKING MAN on 07.01.11 at 9:06 am

Where do you find these pic’s Awsome

One week with out bozze head is clearing up…….

Getting a bad felling about real estate, but my instinks are all over the place right now. The crazy voice in my head is not giving me advice on what to do with my money. It just keeps saying, I want a wine now or Im not helping you.

#96 vreaa on 07.01.11 at 9:08 am

Thanks Garth, good post.

#97 vreaa on 07.01.11 at 9:11 am

PS: The way I first read it, Garth got the pen and not the Tele.
Which was it? (I’d like it to have been the Tele, but the pen is also nice…)

“That night in a packed hotel room, the rockers passed around a gold pen they all used to sign the body of a Fender Telecaster electric guitar Randy Bachman had played on stage that day. Then he gave it to me.”

#98 Nickolaos J Vlittas on 07.01.11 at 9:16 am

Canada is so naive and deluded. A perfect example is how they weep over dead cops and soliders then go on to say they were great people, true professionals, yadda, yadda. What morons!

#99 eaglebay on 07.01.11 at 9:20 am

21 generation in Canada.
Canada is the best country in the world.
From some of the comments on this blog, it’s
obvious that not too many people actually know
their Canadian history. Including the anthem.
It’s a shame really. With the web nowadays there’s so much info available. No excuses.
Canada is the greatest source for all commodities in the world including water.
Canada is the second largest country in the world.
Canada’s economy is one of the best in the world.
Canada’s geography cannot be matched anywhere else in the world.
I could go on and on.
The whiners and the “convenience” Canadians can go back to where ever. I have nowhere to go back to, and wouldn’t want to for any reasons whatsoever.
Housing has been abused but everything else is OK.
The doomers and shorters must have lost their “shorts” this week. Believe in Canada and learn.
Great day for Canada and many more to come.

#100 eaglebay on 07.01.11 at 9:33 am

#85 zombiedelight

You’re some piece of work. Negativity will get you nowhere. You’re showing the 1% that’s wrong with Canada. How about the 99% that’s right?
Idiot.
Saddam Hussein was a weapon of mass destruction. How many people did he kill?

#101 Hammer1 on 07.01.11 at 9:35 am

Happy Canada Day Gman
Would u consider a new version with the Biebs? perhaps adding Fefe D, Avril , Drake, Hedley,etc…
the kids would love it !! and u have lots of free time right :)

#102 T.O. Bubble Boy on 07.01.11 at 9:40 am

@ #28 Jon B:

Agreed – that is a great version!

I’m pretty sure that this was the clip that TVO (TV Ontario) used to play at 6am every day to kickoff the programming schedule.

#103 Steven Rowlandson on 07.01.11 at 9:41 am

I suppose it depends on ones idea of what is best is.
I do how ever like the technology and the scenery inspite of the fact that there are some things I do not agree with.
On the other hand for the first time in known history the ski resort on mount washington out on vancouver island is opening up today for skiing and snow boarding.
I expect this to become a regular event in the future as global cooling continues to set in.

#104 Dan on 07.01.11 at 9:44 am

That version is so much better … why couldn’t have the translated it word-for-word?

#105 eaglebay on 07.01.11 at 9:50 am

“#99 Nickolaos J Vlittas

Another goof. Go home and leave us alone.
We believe in Canada. By the way tell your people to pay their bills. Losers.

#106 debtified on 07.01.11 at 9:54 am

Happy Canada Day!

Thank you, Garth.

#107 BoomerBoy on 07.01.11 at 10:00 am

We may have our differences, but that was beautiful.

Oh! CANADA.

#108 Nic on 07.01.11 at 10:03 am

Yeah, after all, let’s forget the French part all together, there are just about 8 millions French Canadians who are calling this country home! Kind of stupid and insulting your suggestion…

Bonne fête du Canada à tous!

#109 Rural Rick on 07.01.11 at 10:06 am

Going to the beach today for swimming bbq volleyball followed by campfire and an awesome fireworks display by the local fire dept. The whole county will be there. Small town Canada is fabulous. Happy Birthday Canada.

#110 Hoof - Hearted on 07.01.11 at 10:11 am

Happy Canada Day.

whats’ left of it….right?

#111 stage1dave on 07.01.11 at 10:20 am

Great topic, & one I never knew the details of nor Mr. Turner’s part in it…cudos; this country needs more people willing to spend their time & money to promote Canada’s POSITIVE aspects. Goes to show that one person who cares can always out-duel a dozen politicos who don’t give a damn…

(IMHO, it also needs vigilant citizens willing to bitch about what they see as it’s NEGATIVE aspects in order to remedy them; that’s what democracy is all about! Current RE conditions are, after all; just a part of the overall pic)

I’m no fan of jingoist patriotism, preferring a more intelligent & honest perspective. But anytime I get a little too bitchy about the order of my part of the world, I just have to turn on the television…after 25 years of travelling, I know how lucky we are to live here!

Incidentally, I always thought Bachman had one of the meanest strat tones I ever heard. At a time when most hard rock guys were shredding on SG’s or Les Pauls he got a tough sound out of those single coils. He also has one of the smoothest left hands in the business; his bends can easily be mistaken for slides & vice-versa. I won’t get into his ability to work weirded-out jazz chord inversions into mainstream AOR tunes…

Jeez, I hope that guitar is in a shadowbox…

Anyway, now that Gilmour & Leese (Heart) have long ago cornered the REAL strat market, I may have to pull out the Squier this weekend & provide the entertainment for my GF’s daughter’s 19th birthday party…after all the teenage guests are forced to read this column (& that will be after I check ID) I will provide a Canadian Rock Retrospective (“uhhh…I didn’t know he was Canadian…”) while destroying their unintelligble hip-hop CD’s…that will be the percussion part of the program.

Happy Canada Day!

#112 On the shoulders of Dead White Guys on 07.01.11 at 10:25 am

I shudder to think of what Canada will look like in the next 50 years as our history is forgotten and our culture is revised from within.

Oh well maybe it will be a better place.

#113 Timing is Everything on 07.01.11 at 10:44 am

Good one. HCD!

#114 JohnnyBGood on 07.01.11 at 10:54 am

A quick little Canada Day poem from the son of immigrants (sorry, I’m not Keats)…

From war-ravaged lands they flowed like a stream
Breaking familial ties to rebuild their dreams

They grasped the tongue and embraced the mores
Yet encouraged to hold to their ethnic cores

With sweat and with toil they began a new tome
Embracing the country that now was their home

They prospered in peace––good health, good jobs, good government (and good beer)
A special combination, perhaps only possible here

Their sons and daughters, they raised to be honest and true
Not caught between worlds, but gaining the best of the two

Let us take some time on this special day
To celebrate all that we have and proudly say…

From north to south and sea to sea
O’ Canada, we stand on guard for thee

#115 Sky on 07.01.11 at 10:55 am

Let us jubilate, celebrate, and pledge allegiance yet again to the Union Jack… err … Red Maple. Let us pay homage to our owners…err … rulers … err … silent partners … ??. Nevermind.

” The state is therefore referred to as Her Majesty The Queen in Right of Canada… or The Crown in Right of Canada, and the monarch’s legal personality is sometimes referred to simply as Canada.

As such, the king or queen of Canada is the employer of all government staff (including the viceroys, judges, members of the Canadian Forces, police officers, and parliamentarians),…as well as the owner of all state lands (Crown land), buildings and equipment (Crown held property),[85] state owned companies (Crown corporations),… This is all in his or her position as sovereign, and not as an individual; all such property is held by the Crown in perpetuity and cannot be sold by the sovereign without the proper advice and consent of his or her ministers.”

So belt out a few choruses of ” God Save the Queen ” alongside your ” Oh Canada’s “. The two go well together. Or so they thought in elementary school, as they drilled that dreary, draggy excuse of a song permanently into my frontal lobes. God Save the Queen, indeed. Wouldn’t want to piss off the royals. That would be oh-so-un-Canadian.

Well, I’ll leave the singing to you guys. My voice sucks anyhow. Instead, I’ll dream of freedom from the tyranny of the elite in all their incarnations and from all their machinations .

Have a good one, my fellow Canadian slaves.

#116 I. Muvrini on 07.01.11 at 10:59 am

#82 3rd largest

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The french version of the anthem is the original version.

Such ignorance…

#117 Mr Buyer on 07.01.11 at 11:23 am

#67 UK lurker … I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT OF THE NEXT FEW DECADES (I have said previously that 40 years will tell the tale). I am more than a little concerned about keeping our country and resources (many have found ways to reach around Canadians to get to our resources already). I do not speak much about the impending cold realities simply because they are hard to quantify and I do not have access to good hard data (not to mention the host of this blog is concerned with the current housing bubble, as I am, and there are enough extreme doomers clouding up the water presently). I have lived outside of Canada for over 11 years now and will do so for a few more years before I return (long before possible scenarios that see passports not being honoured would likely have a chance of playing out). The fact is anybody that has had the good fortune of becoming a Canadian has in fact won the Lottery but the rest of the world knows what is here and may come knocking at the door. OH CANADA WE STAND ON GUARD FOR THEE

#118 Alero01 on 07.01.11 at 11:33 am

Thanks for the link, Garth! I’d never seen this video nor heard this song, but it’s fantastic and I appreciate that you took the time to honor our Country by reviving it and posting it for all your followers to see.

Happy Canada Day! :)

#119 MikeT on 07.01.11 at 11:58 am

Happy Canada Day everyone!

Garth, since you touched the anthem in today’s post, I want to ask: can anyone clarify what was with using the Canadian anthem – the most sacred song of a country – as a jingle for ad breaks during the Olympics in Vancouver? I understand singing or playing it in different ways to inspire people and make them proud of their country, but making jingles out of it? T’was sad…

#120 skyrider on 07.01.11 at 12:11 pm

UKLurker….well, you sure changed your tune.

lol.

#121 Mr Buyer on 07.01.11 at 12:13 pm

I tell my Japanese aquaintances how impressed I am with their country and how I hope my Japanese Canadian children will retain the Japanese work ethic, commitment to community, and duty to family. I tell them how I worry for my daughter and sons because people are not commited to marriage and children in Canada as they once were in my grandmother’s era. I also describe the loss of manufacturing jobs and the poor prospects for my kids. My Japanese friends are amazed to hear the difficulties Canada is facing and quickly ask if I ever thought of just becoming a Japanese citizen, after all Japan has given me a family and and a way to provide for them. I reply to my friends that I will not become a Japanese citizen because Japan requires new citizens to renounce all other citizenships and I AM CANADIAN. They are puzzled by this and ask me why I care so much about Canada. This is when I start telling stories of my childhood, about walking through our village with my friends with shotguns heading out to the bush to blast the hell out of some poor tree (and sometimes even a few ducks), swimming in rapids and waterfalls while spending the entire summer down by the river, nearly getting eaten by bears when riding out too the dump to see the bears eating the garbage, my brother and half my friends getting stranded half way across the train trussel with a frieght train rounding the corner (they did not run like in the movies, they climbed down a ladder and held on for dear life) along with a ton of other stories that are old hat for Canadians and pure fantasy for most of my Japanese friends. I want to give that to my kids, a chance to live as a child in Canada.

#122 Roial1 on 07.01.11 at 12:16 pm

104 Steven Rowlandson on 07.01.11 at 9:41 am

I do wish that SOMEONE could get it right.

Our record snow fall was not a function of cooling.
It was a function of warming.
How so?
Ok, as the energy in the atmosphere increases more warm air is drawn into the north from the high energy of the south.
This warm air picks up moisture from the ocean and as we on V.I. know it falls on US due to the main circulation of the world’s air.
As a matter of fact, we had a mild winter just under Mt. washington. Light snow in fact, all winter. And it melted off almost before I could get my shovel out.
I live 28 min. from the parking lot at Mt. Washington.

If you believe that the earth is cooling, why is it that the Arctic is melting at a faster rate than even the planet scientists forsaw?

#123 No Fun Vancouver on 07.01.11 at 12:30 pm

Happy Canada Day to all real estate doomsters!

Well done Garth on getting this version of OH Canada out there.

Remember Vancouver world record real estate and wine prices and 4th world bars and nightclubs

#124 expat on 07.01.11 at 12:45 pm

This post actually brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat…and I can’t even watch the video from my work computer. I’ve never been able to sing O Canada without choking up a bit…even as a kid! While I’m currently living and working abroad, I’m looking forward to bringing my skills and experience home and raising a family in Ottawa or Victoria (my husband’s and my respective hometowns). Thanks to this fabulous blog, we’ll likely be happy renters. :-)

Wishing you all a very happy (and safe) Canada Day from a homesick Canuck!

#125 MikeT on 07.01.11 at 12:51 pm

@67 UK Lurker:
question, Sir: you say Canada is a good country to live in because of the impending resource crisis, so can you please tell me what you think about all the mines, forests, etc. that were bought by foreign companies and are now their property (albeit on Canadian land). If we sell all the Canadian resources to foreigners and are left with lots of paper money, then can we say we still “have” those resources? The law says it isn’t so.
I think China is a safer country to be in from this point of view: they bought lots of Africa, Australia, Asia and now are here and with lots of cash…

#126 Utopia on 07.01.11 at 12:55 pm

#72 Bartman told us…

“The Vancouver Sun actually published a story about the Capital Economics report”
—————————————————–
Yes. And I see the author, Derek Penner, still found a way to minimize the story for Vancouver’s readership with nonsense quotes from the likes of Tsur Sommerville and Helmut Pastrick of Credit Union 1.

Pastrick makes one of the most idiotic rationalizations for why housing prices will not decline that I have ever read anywhere. EVER. He seems to think the worlds population growth will drive up demand for space and thus increase housing prices. I am sure the Vancouver Sun’s readership is eating this crap for breakfast. Wonder if it gives them confidence in valuations?

He says:

“The world population is seven billion, climbing to 10 billion, and the planet isn’t growing..something has to give…which is the price of land”. The article then continues with this beauty…. Over the long run, Pastrick said he expects people will have to spend larger portions of their income for shelter in an increasingly crowded world.

That is fine thinking in the business world where supply and demand scenarios can be modeled for product classes like milk or chocolate or even silk scarves. When it comes to population growth and real competition for scarce resources in the real world though, the only outcome is war. History is replete with examples.

This Chief Economist is surely out to lunch. He has made the assumption that Canada will somehow be the beneficiary of too many people in the world in the future. Worse, the suggestion is left open that Vancouver home prices will hold as land becomes scarcer. (They are not making any more of it you know. Location, location, location).

Sadly, his reasons are never, never, never positive for real estate prices.

I want to be polite and say that the guy is reaching for straws but the word idiot keeps coming to mind. Perhaps Mr Pastrick should review history before coming to such silly conclusions. He will immediately note that unusual events like too many people and too few resources (including land) only ever result in conflict.

Had he instead told us that rising populations in a world of diminishing resources would lead to famine, disease, disorder, dislocation of populations, totalitarianism, conflict, war and death……well, then I could have got on board and believed him.

The committee that hired him should all be fired.

Tsur meanwhile, (having been stung by past rebukes) is now hedging his bets. While offering nothing really substantive to rationalize the insanity of home price growth, he instead says in essence that markets will stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.

Thanks for nuthin Tsur. Tell me again why you got quoted?

So now that I am in a good mood. Happy Canada Day.

#127 Roial1 on 07.01.11 at 1:00 pm

Ok. I am going to wade in on the French – English argument.

I am so PISSED with the school systems of English Canada— AND French Canada that If I could fire the lot of them I would!

We hobble ourselves so much by NOT teaching the other language right from the get-go in kindregarden.

What do I mean?

My wife grew up in Switzerland where they have 4 official languages and teach at least 3 of them in grade school. (plus English) She can now travel almost anywhere and get by with minimal help or none from locals as far as language is concerned.
She has added 4 more languages to he repertoir to a total of 7.
I on the otherhand was educated in Ontario where they started French in grade 9.
That is useless.

As my Canada Day wish, Please start to teach the “other” Canadian language in all provinces ASAP!

Ps. It is proven that the ability to speak more than one language opens up a larger area of the brain to our use.

(Yes. I am smarter than my wife as I chose her and she settled for me.) LOL.

#128 Cato on 07.01.11 at 1:11 pm

The Canadian spirit was was born out of this beautiful but harsh land which molded many different races & cultures into a common ideal. The vast open landscapes and limitless opportunity promoted a rugged individualism but individualism was tempered by the harshness of the landscape forcing the need for community & a sense of purpose for the greater good. The land is too vast to ever be centrally governed and so demanded a strong sense of justice & honor from its citizens.

We took these ideals of our forefathers into the world at large and made it a better place. While the Canadian spirit has been dimmed recently by apathy & rot within our political system like the American spirit its too strong to ever be extinguished. In the end it will always triumph over any adversity.

So wave a flag, hug a veteran and reflect on the good fortune of being Canadian.

#129 TurnerNation on 07.01.11 at 1:18 pm

Received this email on Fri:

Good Afternoon, Just a quick note to those of you with a pre-approval or looking fora pre-approval; The lender supplying us with our P-.95% variablerate mortgage just informed us they will be going to P-.85% tonight. If you have any questions about this please call us ASAP. For instant rate updates follow us on Twitter.

Sincerely, Dan EisnerCEOTrue North Mortgage

#130 TurnerNation on 07.01.11 at 1:25 pm

#113 On the shoulders of Dead White Guys on 07.01.11 at 10:25 am

Canada was further built (not forgetting indigenous peoples) by immigrants from First World Countries.

Now immigrants are mostly from Second and Third World countries, no?? Will we sink to their level of living or will they rise to ours? I think I know the answer. How many doctors and PhDs are driving cabs…
A testament to the education scam and edu-cartels. Why can’t an overseas doctor easily re-qualify over here?

On the other hand our corporate masters and robberbarrons require a steady influx of cheap labour into the country. Of course they are always ten steps ahead of us — the hot button “issues” that are presented for debate these days are in fact irrevelent and serve only to divide.

Harper’s Hug-a-Thug progam at work:

#131 TurnerNation on 07.01.11 at 1:30 pm

Whistler BC commercial RE? BPOE??

“Priced below assessed value ”

2342 sq ft warehouse/office space in function junction – Home Hardware Plaza. The space features one loading door & one front entrance with two separate doors for space in the rear. Ideal investment or owner operator space. Current tenant is “CROCs” & offers a 7% CAP RATE. Priced below assessed value – financing at 4.9% may be assumed with qualifications.

#132 Mr_e_Man on 07.01.11 at 1:37 pm

Get Real

I was relaxing in the hot tub with a nice latte then I read your comment about smug Vancouverites. I nearly choked on my organic granola bar. I am tempted to jump in the BMW and track you down and hit you with a lawsuit or human rights violation of some sort. Unfortunately I was out of sunscreen and my sandal broke on the way to see my real estate agent. Time to sell the crack shack even though the prices will continue to spiral upwardsI have be told. The agent would not mislead me would they?

Great story today Garth love the blog and patiently waiting for the other shoe(sandal) to drop.

#133 ms bboomer on 07.01.11 at 1:57 pm

I think I just commented on yesterday’s story in error, here goes one more time:
I salute you Garth! You really do care about your brother and sister Canadians. You have such a warm heart. The video is tear-producing, and I shared it. Today is meant to honour Canada (the 99% positive), and I hope that love carries on to other days and years for Canada and Earth.

#134 Bartman on 07.01.11 at 2:02 pm

That’s a great story, by the way. It must be nice to have had the power to actually get something worthwhile done in this country (with no scandal attached).

Staying on topic (of this blog) it seems that BCREA hasn’t seen the Capital Economics report:

They’re calling for a 13% price increase in Vancouver this year along with an increase in sales. Must be a lot of crazy HAM floating across the big pond.

Happy Canada Day to you and yours.

#135 Ronaldo on 07.01.11 at 2:13 pm

#82 – 3rd Largest – you need to bone up on your history. Does this answer your question?

The History of the National Anthem
Summary

“O Canada” was proclaimed Canada’s national anthem on July 1, 1980, 100 years after it was first sung on June 24, 1880. The music was composed by Calixa Lavallée, a well-known composer; French lyrics to accompany the music were written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier. The song gained steadily in popularity. Many English versions have appeared over the years. The version on which the official English lyrics are based was written in 1908 by Mr. Justice Robert Stanley Weir. The official English version includes changes recommended in 1968 by a Special Joint Committee of the Senate and House of Commons. The French lyrics remain unaltered.

#136 BrianT on 07.01.11 at 2:18 pm

Rob Ford doesn’t think it is in his job description to line up to spray water on these guys-to be fair, the following weekend TO should host a Hetero Pride Parade-floats could be sponsored by our collection of strip clubs, massage parlors and even net porn sites http://www.thestar.com/news/pride/article/1017805–ex-mayors-to-ford-just-say-yes-to-pride?bn=1

#137 Get Real on 07.01.11 at 2:24 pm

#113 ‘”Canada is now a full of clueless economic refugees brought here for their votes.

Oh well maybe it will be a better place.”
————————————————————-

Having lived in Canada and US, there is no doubt that despite the faux multiculturalism, there is more racism and racist people in Canada than United States. The above post underscores my point. Just look at the number of unemployed professionals driving cabs or forced to take up other jobs. Apparently not good enough for Canada.

Truth be told, a wannabe nation that lives in the shadows of its bigger and better neighbor.

#138 bill c on 07.01.11 at 2:35 pm

Very naive and gullible people in this country. We have the most corrupt country on the planet. We pay more taxes than anyone on the planet. Canada is awful. I cannot wait until Ontario becomes its own country.

#139 Coho on 07.01.11 at 2:36 pm

Whose country is this really?

We need to work towards the situation where the country is the people and the people are the country where the Will of the People is done. For this to eventuate, we need to see the day when the representatives that We the People, elect to office, actually swear allegiance to Canada and its people, the ones who put them there, rather than to the Queen, her family, and future heirs to the throne. If indeed, the monarchy in these modern times does not exert tremendous power in world affairs, and is merely symbolic as many claim, then this shouldn’t be a problem.

Viva to the pursuit of a truly free and independent Canada, where the needs of the many may one day outweigh the wants and desires of the few or the one.

#140 john on 07.01.11 at 2:46 pm

Great post, Garth. I am touched by your efforts though I am not a Canadian (yet).

It is sad how politicians so blatantly think for best interest of themselves rather than Canadians.

Happy Canada day folks!!!

#141 duesouth on 07.01.11 at 2:51 pm

Thank you for this post Garth.

Through all the ups and downs we have all experienced this year and last the video was a great reminder of this great country.

Everyone is right this needs to be shared again and again so my little part was putting the link on my Facebook page and tweeting the site.

“…To the BEST country in the WORLD!”

Cheers to you all and have a safe and enjoyable Canada Day Holiday weekend……

#142 Patiently Waiting on 07.01.11 at 2:52 pm

Thank you for the link to the O’Canada song – very inspiring reminder that we truly do live in the greatest country in the world, and I think many Canadians do realize this. Hopefully we can keep it this way despite the challenges we face ahead.
A Happy Canada Day to all :-)

#143 busman7 on 07.01.11 at 3:01 pm

Canada EH, love the way this expat’s negative comment on Crapanada was censored out!!

It went into the spam file. Not meaningful enough to censor. — Garth

#144 Hoof - Hearted on 07.01.11 at 3:01 pm

Give or take…HALF of Canada’s population is concentrated in about (5 ) Urban centers.

Prime for the plucking and picking by vested interests in what amounts to a ” camp of concentration”.

Trudeau set in motion and entrenched fracturing of Canada ..multiculturalism was on par with Tower of Babel story.

This leaves us ALL weak and disjointed….Canada Day is propoganda at its lowest.

#145 eaglebay on 07.01.11 at 3:16 pm

Roial1 #123

You have it all wrong. Read the link below.

#146 Jeannie on 07.01.11 at 3:25 pm

“O Canada” will not just be belted out from ‘coast to coast’ across Canada.
Thousands of expats from Mexico, Panama, Aust. N.Z. Europe, etc., will also be gathering in various meeting places to celebrate their very own version of ‘Canada Day’.
You can be sure that the singing will be off-key, but
just as proud and loud. So thanks Garth, and to all the talented artists who gave us a song worth singing.

#147 Devore on 07.01.11 at 3:44 pm

#135 Bartman

I see Van Sun started putting their RE stories under entertainment, instead of sports where it used to be. Ironic.

#148 bill on 07.01.11 at 3:50 pm

happy canada day everyone!

tele + bassman= cool sound!

#149 WI Yank on 07.01.11 at 4:02 pm

Greetings, Garth=

Wonderful story. My Great Northern Neighbor, and I barely know thee-

Happy Canada Day to All

#150 Publius Enigma on 07.01.11 at 4:07 pm

#96 SMOKING MAN on 07.01.11 at 9:06 am

“my instinks”

It certainly does.

#151 C ROCK on 07.01.11 at 4:13 pm

#43, O.M.G. A Praire Dawg, That song is about the travesty of justice which occured when David Milgard was wrongfully convicted for murder. Not a nice thing to mention on Canada day, eh.

#152 zombiedelight on 07.01.11 at 4:16 pm

#101 eaglebay on 07.01.11 at 9:33 am
_________

Well as I said as long as you bend over you think you’re just fine!
You just live an illusion, its not 1% thats bad , its 65%

In 2 years the real estate bubble will have burst so bad because we made sure we gave it a 2nd blow, then are you gonna say 1% only is bad here?
In 19 years white people are gonna be a minority in their own country due to

DELETED.

#153 TurnerNation on 07.01.11 at 4:18 pm

My Canadian pride is swelling, straining, almost as fast as my bulbous…debt.

Let’s look in the mirror, do we yet qualify for this status as in the USA? What are we doing funding terror in Libya…”smart bombs”, “collateral damage”. We sincerely regret the loss of …blah blah..

“In her 1951 book, “The Origins of Totalitarianism,” Hannah Arendt said it’s “never content to rule by external means, namely, through the state and a machinery of violence; thanks to its peculiar ideology and the role assigned to it in this apparatus of coercion, totalitarianism has discovered a means of dominating and terrorizing human beings from within.”

She called it dictatorship based on:

“(1) an elaborate ideology;

(2) a single mass party;

(3) terror;

(4) a technologically conditioned monopoly of communication;

(5) a monopoly of weapons; (and)

(6) a centrally controlled economy.”

#154 Utopia on 07.01.11 at 4:37 pm

#132 TurnerNation on 07.01.11 at 1:30 pm

“Whistler BC commercial RE?”
——————————————————————-
Good one. Don’t even think of getting me started. I withhold using the word “crash” these days because it is an exaggeration and an inappropriate term for what is coming in most markets.

When Whistler comes up though I lose all reason. Canmore too. Both of those markets will eventually suffer declines so extreme during a national housing bubble pop that they can only be called crashes.

So crash it is for Whistler. And Canmore too. Now put on your diapers, it is going to get really ugly for resort communities that seem to think they are exempt from reality.

Truth is, they will get hit harder than everyone else. Much harder.

Happy Canada day.

#155 Ben on 07.01.11 at 4:37 pm

HAPPY CANADA DAY everyone. Cook up a nice junk of red meat on the barb with a baked tator and some sour cream, butter and bits. Tilt a few back and enjoy your long weekend!

#156 Utopia on 07.01.11 at 4:41 pm

#147 Devore

Too funny. I think I broke a rib trying to read your comment twice!

#157 garrulous squirrel on 07.01.11 at 5:03 pm

Well …I’m sick of the hyped up tribalism’s and celebration of the Liberal Party legacy…..aren’t you?

With many people talking about seeking yields….what about the search for alpha? Is it really possible to outgun the market mavens as a lay investor or is the hype of a DIY portfolio just another bucket of hooey that makes a few ‘advisors’ rich while the clients suck eggs?

The potato does not work. — Garth

#158 I Heart Canada on 07.01.11 at 5:15 pm

I think you all will love these renditions of the National Anthem. :-)

#159 I Heart Canada on 07.01.11 at 5:25 pm

A couple more…

#160 Devore on 07.01.11 at 5:39 pm

#156 Utopia

Thanks. I always knew Van Sun was a cutting edge publication. We are now on notice that RE estate here is no longer a (full contact?) sport.

#161 Devore on 07.01.11 at 6:01 pm

Massacre in the bond market:

US treasury action probably has bond traders jumping out of windows. What’s up?

#162 Timing is Everything on 07.01.11 at 6:15 pm

#96 SMOKING MAN said – “The crazy voice in my head is not giving me advice…”

Maybe it is “The crazy voice in my head!”? Full stop.

#163 RobRob on 07.01.11 at 6:41 pm

Garth, todays blog is portrait of a true Canadian-You!!!
Tenacity, compassion,generosity, selflessness . Thank you for your help and advice. I sold another property to-day. One more step in my walk toward financial independence!!!!!!

#164 maxx on 07.01.11 at 6:53 pm

#115 JohnnyBGood on 07.01.11 at 10:54 am

Love it!

Happy Canada Day/Bonne Fête du Canada to all blog dawgs!!

..and Garth, what a truly beautiful recording.

#165 My Home is Love on 07.01.11 at 7:23 pm

Happy Canada Day everyone!

#166 salonist on 07.01.11 at 7:26 pm

as a kid growing up,there was ellio next door, every friday night when he came home from the bar.he’d open the front door, and in is best old country italian accent,he’d belt out god blessa america.

#167 Hoof - Hearted on 07.01.11 at 7:48 pm

Utopia:

Must be having a good Canada Day…your posts today are as short as political promises are long ….. lol .

Anyway…re Whistler..I agree….that’s a “ponzi-bubble”…suckers lured in….that market WILL implode….it’ll be a classic like Kelowna….first the periphery ..then the epicenters….read the tea leaves as they settle.

#168 My Home is Love on 07.01.11 at 8:37 pm

Some funny stuff!!!

#169 eaglebay on 07.01.11 at 8:45 pm

#163 Devore

The bond market is being killed. The equity market is picking up the slack. Look at the equity markets in the past week, Canadian and US. Great opportunities.
The doomers and the shorts are losing big time. More to come.

#170 yogi on 07.01.11 at 8:48 pm

Garth, thanks for being you, and thanks for helping us bring this work into being. wonderful.

#171 BC Bring Cash on 07.01.11 at 8:51 pm

Here is an explanation on what is really happening in Greece and elsewhere in the world today. The Banksters create money out of thin air. Lend cash to desperate Countries. The default of Greece for example is expected and part of the plan. Then the Banks move in and seize
real assets for nothing.Such as Govt. owned real estate, infrastructure, corporations etc.. They call the rescue packages when they are in trouble as bailouts. Thats of course nonsense. The so called bailouts are just high interest loans that demand Govt assets as security for the loans they know the Govt cannot afford to pay and will default.

#172 Basil Fawlty on 07.01.11 at 8:57 pm

Economist Michael Hudson discusses the “Greater Fool”

#173 Nostradamus Le Mad Vlad on 07.01.11 at 10:05 pm

Wot a delightful Canada Day. Below normal temps. and cloudy, but it was a day off from retirement!
1:47 clip “Canada has between 5 to 50 times more oil than Libya (depending on who one listens to), so what is the US et al up to?” Hint: Water for Ssshhh . . . U-Know-Who; Yemen – next target for US; Los Alamos 30K barrels of plutonium waste — good method of depopping.; 3:40 clip Thorium revolt — replacing uranium? Libya and the m$m “Reporting Worst Since Arnett in Baghdad”. BTW, where are those nuke WMD that dubya said Sadaam has? dubya and Obama are the two biggest terrorists alive, bar none; Don’t ferget Somalia! “Somalia’s natural resources include: uranium and largely unexploited reserves of iron ore, tin, gypsum, bauxite, copper, salt, natural gas, likely oil reserves.” wrh.com; Water Wars Is it cheaper to bomb countries or develop new technologies for desalination plants? Sterilization = Free Cars; another option is to male Monsanto’s junk food mandatory; 0:17 clip Obama — “Anybody got any doubts that the fix is in?”;

Holland brings in a new bank tax (about time); The Donald and other links; Time Bomb T-minus two months (does that in- or exclude the Aug. 2 debt ceiling?); Debt Ceiling Should we pass the hat around for our neighbors? 1:48 clip Financial sheep shearing; The 19 most despised US corps.;

2:49 clip Rather large rock slide on Mt. Rainier, and 2 Much Snow; 2 Much Snow Again. Rio de Janeiro GC? But it’s July, so let’s have a pole shift!

#174 eddy on 07.01.11 at 10:49 pm

Bill Still update-

#175 Goldenfox on 07.01.11 at 11:08 pm

Why interest rates will not rise any time soon!

#176 Sumadartson jr. on 07.01.11 at 11:55 pm

You are a Saint.

St. Garth of Assissi for Fender Telecasters

#177 Bottoms_Up on 07.01.11 at 11:55 pm

#180 BigAl (Original) on 06.30.11 at 9:12 pm
——————————————–
Your advice to Pierre is to run from Ottawa/Gatineau because all we have is the Byward market???

Here’s a quick list showing that your advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

1) Gatineau park (Meech lake, Gatineau hill lookouts, hiking, Mackenzie King Estate etc.)

2) Mooney’s Bay beach (yes, Ottawa has a very nice beach in the heart of the city)

3) Hog’s back falls/Vincent Massey park (rivals any family picnic park found in Toronto)

4) Petrie Island (fantastic beach, fishing, boating)

5) Ottawa river, Rideau river

6) Rideau canal (ice skating, beautiful jogging/biking)

7) Manotick, Chelsea

8) National arts centre, Casino Lac Leamy

9) Proximity to cheap beer (Quebec side)

10) Farmer’s markets, Farm boy, Kettleman’s bagel shop, The Keg Manor

11) Museums, art galleries

12) Embassies, Rideau hall, parliament buildings etc.

13) Average commute time is 30 minutes or less (not 90 minutes)

14) Driver’s are conservative and fairly courteous (compared to dare devils and heartlessness in Toronto)

15) Dedicated transit system (OC Transpo)

16) Light Rail Transit (to be completed in a few years)

17) Quaint, clean, efficient airport that is easy to access by public transit

18) Air quality

19) Water quality

20) The weather

Hahaha, OK, that last point was a joke. The weather is actually better in Toronto.

And no, I am not jealous of Toronto. In fact I was born in Toronto and grew up in the GTA and consider Toronto my home. But my eyes have been opened to this fantastic city. I believe Ottawa truly is the gold standard for Canadian cities.

#178 Prufrock on 07.02.11 at 12:02 am

Happy Canada Day all you discontented blog dogs. Nice to transcend petty stuff to recognize how lucky we actually are.

Garth, what about an updated version on the anthem? I see the DJ you mention was last seen given driving lessons–perhaps we could encourage him to come out of semi-retirement to bring it into the next millennium.

#179 Prufrock on 07.02.11 at 12:12 am

OK, just watched the clip again. 91-92? More like 84-85. That explains why our bubble hasn’t popped yet: we’re like seven years behind the USA.

#180 TheFirstRick on 07.02.11 at 1:27 am

#104 Steven Rowlandson on 07.01.11 at 9:41 am

I suppose it depends on ones idea of what is best is.

+++++++++

Don’t get too confused. There have been mounds of snow in those mountains in July for decades, undoubtedly for centuries even . The economics of now opening the lifts has nothing to do with global warming, cooling or anything to do with environmental pressures but rather the ability to make a profit. Funny how a seasons pass won’t get you up the mound today, eh? LOL

#181 Utopia on 07.02.11 at 2:18 am

#169 Hoof – Hearted

“Utopia: Must be having a good Canada Day…your posts today are as short as political promises are long”
————————————————————————
I installed speed bumps on my laptop.

#182 Canada Thanks for the free goodies on 07.02.11 at 10:31 am

As some of you already know 2.8 Million Canadians who came to Canada for a better live simply came and left. If Canada was such a great country why would 2,800,000 people leave Canada and live elsewhere? You think when the housing market crashes Hundreds of thousands will not pick up and leave Canada in economic ruin? The sad part is it’s already happening in parts of the GTA people have walked away from their homes, debts and Canada. The fascist conservatives care not about the well being of Canadians and Canada. To think almost 10% of Canadians live outside of Canada.
—————————————————————–
Happy Canada Day to all here in Canada!!

If this isn’t destroying a country, I don’t know what is.

#183 Killer Chicken or Imploding Boomer? on 07.02.11 at 10:47 am

180 1stRick / 104 Steven – I can verify that with some second-hand info. Years ago my Father was on
Washington, noting how much snow there was, and
asking one of the managers if they would stay open later
that season. The manager replied that many years they
have enough snow to stay open longer, but that people
simply stop coming as they take up different activities in
the springtime.

#184 ralph on 07.02.11 at 12:56 pm

“SOME years back a Greek finance minister, fed up with his country’s waste and extravagance, claimed that he could save money by shutting down the national railway and driving its passengers around in taxis. He was accused of hyperbole but seems, rather, to have been guilty of understatement. In 2009 the Greek railway collected just €174m ($250m) in fares and other revenues. Meanwhile, it spent €246m on wages and lost a total of €937m.”

#185 UVZ on 07.02.11 at 2:06 pm

Happy Birthday, Canada,

May the vision of your birthday song come true!

#186 jess on 07.02.11 at 2:08 pm

star/stripes or maple leaf? welcome to the kingdom’s Phylum

1992
August 12: the details of North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) are released
October 26: The Charlottetown Accord is rejected in a nationwide referendum
December 17: Prime Minister Brian Mulroney signs the NAFTA deal
although, October 24 – The Toronto Blue Jays become the first non-United States team to win the World Series.

when the facts change , i change my mind… keynes

supernatural world
…older supercontinent called Rodinia which formed about 1.1 billion years ago, and which broke up in the Late Proterozoic. The continents which split away from Rodinia drifted during the Paleozoic Era until they
collided to form the southern supercontinent called Gondwana and the northern supercontinent called Laurasia. Gondwana and Laurasia then came
together by the end of the Carboniferous Period to form Pangea.

Rodinia split into two main fragments approximately 750 million years ago. Pannotia (meaning all southern) is the name given to a supercontinent formed when the northern block (comprising Australia, Antarctica, India, Madagascar, Arabia, and parts of China), Laurentia, and cratonic blocks in East Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar, and South America were amalgamated through collision in the Pan-African orogeny. Pannotia broke up into Laurentia, Baltica, Siberia, and Gondwanaland at the end of the Precambrian, about 590 million years ago.
==============================
172 Basil Fawlty
you may like to read ha- joon chang book titled, “Bad Samaritans ”
the myth of free trade and the secret history of capitalism

#187 Linda on 07.02.11 at 2:39 pm

Late posting here on this topic because I was out enjoying the sun-baked Canada Day festivities yesterday.

#110 Rural Rick –> you’re right, rural Ontario is awesome! Spent the day in Gananoque and had a blast (and lots of ribs at the Ribfest!).

Aside note: I was born and bred in Toronto, spent most of my adulthood moving around Quebec (Montreal, Saguenay and Nunavik) and now reside in Ottawa. Unlike a lot of people here, I am not crazy about this capital city of ours. Oh well. That is another story, for another day.

#123 Roial1 –> I used to teach ESL to francophone elementary students, and a few years ago, the Quebec Ministry of Education decided to start teaching English as early as grade 1. FSL begins in grade 1 in Ontario, too.

It sounds great on paper, and I wish I could sound more positive about it, but the reality is that I had each class of 30 students (on average) in grades 1-2 once a week for 30 minutes. You do the math and decide for yourself if this is really enough exposure to a 2nd language for it to be learned. The instruction time increases to 60 minutes a week for students in grades 3-4, and 90 minutes a week for grades 5-6. Keep in mind the challenge of keeping 10 and 11 year olds on task and focused for 90 minutes straight, without a toilet or any other kind of break. Even adults have a hard time sitting in a college or university lecture that long! Anyway, I will spare you my rants concerning public education.

Instead, I will leave you on a happy note with this creative and catchy song & video produced by Julia Bentley & Andrew Gunadi:

#188 brainsail on 07.02.11 at 3:09 pm

Happy Canada Day from Central Texas!

“According to the Census Bureau, there are almost 6,000 people in Austin who identify themselves as Canadian.”

#189 Markey on 07.02.11 at 3:47 pm

According to CMHC, there is no bubble: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/corp/nero/jufa/jufa_027.cfm

#190 dec3ptiKon_ on 07.02.11 at 3:49 pm

#191 garrulous squirrel on 07.02.11 at 4:31 pm

Hey G-Man….I don’t know what the potato do’s for a living but….in the great scheme of all things investing…and especially over long periods of time…..personal, private and professional investors are not equal. I think the gist of what the ‘potato’ was saying was that the lay investor makes more bonehead decisions over time and disadvantages him/herself in a variety of ways…..whereas professional management ( MER net) is at least ‘consistent’ over that same time.

Some of the dog eared generic ‘Mutts’ such as the CIBC funds commodity group managed by a single manager over a long period of time have outperformed most benchmarks. I think this is also the case for many of the funds Norm manages for a variety of banks. It’s hard to argue with success.

Personally I don’t mind scattergunning funds around to various managers (alongside individual picks) when they have shown consitent returns over time and I can tell that no one around me has done much better….MER’s or no. The returns of professional sector managers are not beta free but usually outperform any balanced portfolio. That is with the caveat that you have chosen the right sectors.

#192 LG on 07.02.11 at 4:46 pm

Finally! From the Globe and Mail, this from ‘Seven Tips For Renters’.

“The cost of owning a home is, on average, between 10 and 20 per cent more than renting. ”

I bought to get what I needed (fenced yard for the dogs, close to work, a garden and no stairs) that I couldn’t find in a rental. The extra cost is worth it to me. But it is NOT saving me money!

#193 Scoobysnacks on 07.02.11 at 5:20 pm

Garth, as someone who lived in the Brampton area during your time as an elected official, I wanted to say thanks. I was privileged to be sent to Ottawa along with several high school classmates for the celebration of Canada’s 125th. I’m not sure if you had anything to do with that initiative but it was one of the most memorable experiences I had in high school. It gave me an incredible appreciation for our country and the people who live in it. What I witnessed as a teenager in 1992 at our nation’s capitol will continue to serve as a reminder of how generous our people can be. I have never seen so many converge in one. There were no riots, looting or violence. It was an environment filled with hope kindness and pride. I remember watching the celebrity musicians gather on stage and play this version of the anthem. Listening to it again I’m transported back to that place. Thanks Garth for your efforts to make that song happen, and thanks for continuing to care about our country and the people in it.

#194 Mister Obvious on 07.02.11 at 5:46 pm

#190 dec3ptiKon_

“I hope that signature isn’t permanent. The guitar will be worth more without a signature from a member of Bachman Turner Overweight”
——-

Dork.

#195 Hoof - Hearted on 07.02.11 at 5:53 pm

We had Garth and better half over for BBQ…

Pretty well behaved …except for the table he set up to sign books ( CASH only …..and U.S. funds).

Unfortunately…. F,….C and H crashed the party….with Layton riding shotgun. SOB’s

They grabbed all the canapes and fois gras…not to mention the President’s Choice nachos.

In retaliation…we waterboarded them in Perrier till they revealed their allegiance to Mc Bilderberg .

I tell ya….with Garth on your side….you can’t lose.

#196 Thinking of leaving Canada on 07.02.11 at 6:02 pm

Happy Canada Day from Central Texas!

—————————————————————–

Canada is over rated and let’s face it why would 2.8 million Canadians leave Canada if Canada was such a great country? My wife and I have had some serious talks about leaving Canada for austin. Family is the number one reason why we have stayed. We have a friend who left Canada about four years ago and when you compare the life styles of both(Toronto vs Austin), Toronto loses hands down. for $200K you can have the house of your dreams while in Canada you have to become a debt slave for life and put every penny you make just to live. It seems 2.8 MILLION people woke up to the fraud called Canada. Talk to peolpe and they will express their dislike of this country which was once the best in the world. To bad that was decades ago. Canada has been dropping from the ranking for years.

#197 jess on 07.02.11 at 6:33 pm

“vast amounts of money to influence elections.”
dollar voting

Massey Energy Accused of Hiding Hazardous Conditions from Inspectors before Deadly Mine Disaster
Friday, July 01, 2011

“Don Blankenship, former CEO of Massey Energy Massey Energy has been accused by government inspectors of hiding accounts of hazardous conditions at the Upper Big Branch mine before an explosion last year killed 29 workers…that 18 current and former executives [2] invoked their Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination and refused to cooperate with investigators.”

Investigators said the coal giant had “used the leverage of jobs it provided to attempt to control West Virginia’s political system [4],” casting inspectors, regulators, and even politicians and community residents as enemies. According to the report, the company’s former CEO, Don Blankenship instilled fear in local politicians by spending “vast amounts of money to influence elections.”

As we have noted [5], Blankenship received $2 million when he retired at the end of last year, and is scheduled to receive another $10 million in July. He’s expected to stay on as a consultant.

=

Thursday, June 30, 2011
Continuing its assault on campaign finance laws, the U.S. Supreme Court this week struck down an Arizona statute that provided taxpayer money for candidates dramatically outspent by well-funded opponents.

#198 Get Real on 07.02.11 at 7:28 pm

# 196

———————————————————-

Sorry to say this, but have to agree with you.

High taxes and poor service in all sectors including healthcare. Yet people seem so entitled and delusional esp. in urban areas.

#199 Roial1 on 07.02.11 at 7:40 pm

193 Scoobysnacks on 07.02.11 at 5:20 pm

Me too, BUT it was a lot longer ago. “Def the thief” was P.M. back then.
That was when Brampton was a great place to live.
The pop. was 10,000 or so. (A little water has gone under the bridge since then.)

#200 Ben on 07.02.11 at 7:58 pm

#196 Thinking of leaving Canada on 07.02.11 at 6:02 pm

WOW… Well said and I’m a Canadian working in Dallas. I make more money here then I could in Canada, a lot more. I also work remotely and my VPN access doesn’t have borders, the only requirement is internet. I could work from home but I don’t want to go home because it would cost me 3 times more to live. Serious!